Speaker 1: R and B Money than take vologized. We are the.
Speaker 2: Authorities R and.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: I'm Jay Valentine and this is the R and B Money Podcast. And today I got somebody very special that pulled up on me, you know, some real singing in the building.
Speaker 1: And she gonna talk to us about it today.
Speaker 2: And she, you know, she may even sing for us and may get a little addictive to us, but the soul is here today, and you know, I don't want to talk a lot about it. I want to get into it. Today we have a singer, songwriter and actress, the amazing fresh from overseas. I think truth hurts. I think you know, I love it.
Speaker 1: Be close, you could be far out here. A lot of different things, a lot of true things. Today. That's what that's what we're gonna stand on. Today. We're gonna say how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm great, how are you good?
Speaker 1: To see you? Good to see you?
Speaker 3: And meets you. I should have met you by now.
Speaker 2: Actually I'll be hiding sometimes I don't always be going places. They I should wear a little thing like on the top, like me up a little bit too so a little bit it works. Yeah, that's that's that's your thing.
Speaker 3: That's my thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So yeah, so what's what's going on with you? Man?
Speaker 3: So much, so much, so much, I mean.
Speaker 4: Besides being human the truth mother. I'm back in La. I'm no longer overseas. I was overseas. I was in v in Austria for a while. I was married four years and I'm back to La now. So I'm on l a time. I'm developing a new project, a rebrand that I'm really excited about.
Speaker 3: But we'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know here on the R and B Money podcast, we like to we like to go through the journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We like to go back to you know, where people are from. And man, I love what y'all are doing. By the way, thank you, thank you great. You know, so we want to start in the loop. Oh yeah, that's how you feel about the loop?
Speaker 4: No, you know what I'm saying that because I lost my mother last year and I had to go back home. I had to do the due diligence of you know, losing a parent. It was tough and I and I got to attribute that to transformation for me because I had to dig real deep for that grief. I hadn't had anybody I lost in my life that caused me to go that deep with grief. And I know everybody knows about it to some degree if they lost somebody who was really really close, especially a mother. Yeah, so I think the grief was what, like really really was the catalyst to transform me into who I believe I am now.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so let's let's go back to little truth, Little truth, Little truth. That's way back Saint Louis. Like, so for you, what was your upbringing like as far as from a musical standpoint and you getting into this thing.
Speaker 4: Well, my father was probably the first inspiration for that. He was a local promoter in Saint Louis. He brought a lot of different acts back in the day to smaller theaters in Saint Louis, which was people Bryson, the Pointer Sisters. I remember growing up Philis Symon. Uh. There were so many people and my eyes were just big, like, oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, look at this. So did he have a venue there too, like a club?
Speaker 3: You know, there was always a different venue he was. He was just doing promotion.
Speaker 4: Like so if you want to do a show, you bring an artist to town, you find the venue for that artist.
Speaker 3: That's what he was doing.
Speaker 1: Yea, my dad did a little really a promotion.
Speaker 3: Okay, see you know what it is.
Speaker 1: He was trying to clean some things.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's a different conversation.
Speaker 2: But you know, shout out to the dads. Man brought them to the baby. Yeah Brown some years before I was born, Like yeah, he was.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: He was moving, wow moving.
Speaker 2: So then you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, I understand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that that brought about the uh influence on my life when it comes to music and when it comes to performance really, because I feel like I was more affected by performance than just music. What I saw back then in those theaters and I was just like wow, I.
Speaker 3: Couldn't believe it.
Speaker 4: So I think it kind of catapulted me into wanting to know more about what performance, singing, all those things.
Speaker 3: But I feel like I.
Speaker 4: Didn't have the voice that a lot of people grow up in the church and they're singing organically.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know. I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I decided at some point, maybe like eleven.
Speaker 4: Or twelve, that I was like, yo, this this is who I want to be, and I don't know how to do it, and so my mother was like, okay, well let's let's let's get some lessons. So she got me into more operatic and classical training, okay, and that was why I learned.
Speaker 1: Now, Yes, I was singing in my head.
Speaker 3: I'm like, that's why.
Speaker 1: That was the start.
Speaker 3: So for me, like, it was more technical from the beginning.
Speaker 2: So was it boring for you as an eleven year old learning technique more so than just yes out and just you know, listening to the radio and singing out for that.
Speaker 3: Yes and no.
Speaker 4: Because I had a private coach who I liked and he made it fun, okay. And then from there I started doing things in high school like musicals, and so I got the the the background of show and opera and all of those things that are more technical than actual R and B and all of the things that we do now in the music industry.
Speaker 3: I got.
Speaker 4: I got the training to do. I know I should have done Broadway by now, but but I got that kind of training back then.
Speaker 1: So you were you were full high school musical.
Speaker 3: Full high school musical.
Speaker 1: Did you go to a school of the arts.
Speaker 4: I didn't, but the school that I was in supported arts heavily. Okay, so that's all I did.
Speaker 2: When you were doing that in school? Did you foresee any of this, like, did you look at it like this? These are my goals. I'm trying to get to LA or Hollywood or New York or these places so that I can all right Atlanta at the time.
Speaker 4: Likely, No, Initially I didn't even think about it like that. I just I thought about just what I saw. And then that's when I became a real deep and chronic Prince fan. That was my first concert, and when I saw him on stage, I was like, that's it, certified.
Speaker 3: I love performance.
Speaker 1: I grew up in I grew up in the Prince House.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, my room was purple. Always my hair like his hair.
Speaker 3: I got my ass kicked.
Speaker 2: Outside like my brothers and sisters, like my mama. Didn't talk to nobody that wasn't dark skinned really other than loving Prince and loving her kids, like.
Speaker 1: If you was, she's like these light skins's school. But Prince Prince, I don't know. Prince just wasn't. I don't know what he was to her. He just wasn't.
Speaker 3: Prince was an alien, Yes, he was some even like.
Speaker 1: Light skinned men really only Prince.
Speaker 3: Only Prince makes sense.
Speaker 1: Only Prince.
Speaker 2: So in our household, it was you know, it's funny because her two favorite artists were prints in ice cube, which.
Speaker 3: Is complete opposite, complete opposite.
Speaker 2: So all right, so you get through high school, you're doing your musical thing.
Speaker 1: When do you get here? Like, what's the what's the process of getting to la the bank?
Speaker 4: Okay, A lot of my my family, my extended family on my father's side there in the bank, his sister and some other relatives. He decided he wanted to, Like my father did a short stant in prison for being genius.
Speaker 3: We won't go onto that.
Speaker 4: Hey, no, listen, back in the day, my father was the one that was chipping the free phones. Bought one from him and look, and the fans wanted him to work for him, and he's like no, my father is very powered to the people, and so he's.
Speaker 1: Like, no, I had the phone when I was fifteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, well then you might you might have had one of my dad's more.
Speaker 1: I paid last for three months.
Speaker 3: Listen, listen.
Speaker 4: That's how I met a lot of the rappers back in the day. It wasn't because of the music. It was because of that but we won't go into that. But that was how I ended up in San Jose. My dad got out and he was like he spent like two years and then he was like, oh, we're gonna move to Cali, and so we were. We were moving to San Jose and I ended up going to college in Sano. I had a full ride to you of Chicago music here, but I had to go with my parents because I was too young, and they were like, yeah, you, we're not going to leave you in the Midwest, and we go, you know, to the West. So I ended up going with the family and I ended up in San Jose State.
Speaker 1: So you a spark to some degree. I mean I.
Speaker 4: Met I met someone there who was as much in the music as I was, and we ended up moving to l A.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay, so you're moving to LA as singer.
Speaker 3: Singer singer singer.
Speaker 4: At the time, I mean, we wrote what we what we were trying to present.
Speaker 3: We were looking for a deal.
Speaker 4: We were a two girl group, rappers, singer, and we moved to LA trying to get a deal. We were like living from an apartment to apartment. We were really young and stupid. It was us too and her sister. Okay, and we ended up getting a situation where we were able to perform for Cassandra Mills at Giant. So we were on top of her desk performing doing the bulls like we were.
Speaker 3: We were all over the place. Were just we were just trying to win.
Speaker 4: We were trying to get in where were fit in right, and so we got we ended up getting the deal.
Speaker 3: So we signed a Giant. We signed a Giant. That was around the time that what was the group name?
Speaker 4: It was three Girls. It was three Girl, a three girl group back then. That was on the label as well.
Speaker 1: That was on Giant.
Speaker 3: Huh. I want to say, yeah, yeah, this was like early nineties.
Speaker 2: Okay, so before okay, So so tell me this though, because we're jumping to certain things I know, but no, no, but I because I liked it for people.
Speaker 1: To understand the process and the journey. When you guys get to la are y'all working regular jobs nine to five, Yes, just focusing on music.
Speaker 4: But we also have parents sending us money, gave us the car to drive down, helped us with the down payment.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's the parent you know.
Speaker 4: We had We had the help that we needed because our parents were very much, you know, into the whole music scene like their their parents their their dad was a DJ, and my dad was into the music thing. So they were supporting our journey, so to speak. So we didn't have to do too much work, but we did. We did have like small job.
Speaker 2: How long did it take to get the deal from six months?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like when I tell you we were the desk, we're thirsty. We then we had to.
Speaker 1: Do So did that project come out?
Speaker 4: It did, but only a single came out and ironically, our first video and only video was directed by Jada Pinkett at the time.
Speaker 1: What Yeah, she was directing video?
Speaker 4: She back then, she was she was young and just trying to like produce and direct.
Speaker 1: Is this video available because I d you can?
Speaker 3: You can YouTube this?
Speaker 1: And what's the name of the group?
Speaker 3: The name of the group of Sugar Dap.
Speaker 1: Sugar Dap And you were Sugar? You were that?
Speaker 2: I was Sugar, Okay, because you're a singer, So sure, okay, sugar name my real name is Sherry Sugar.
Speaker 3: Okay, I know I'm trying to make the reference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, And what type of music were y'all doing?
Speaker 4: She's a rapper, she was a rapper. I was a singer. So what was it like? R and B, R and B hip hop?
Speaker 1: Okay, hip hop?
Speaker 4: More R and B based, I feel. We had a We had a song called dark and very sweetish Juice. We had a song Just Another Man.
Speaker 3: That was the video. The video was called just Another.
Speaker 1: Just Another Man. Oh yeah, we got to run that up.
Speaker 3: You got listen when you get a chance.
Speaker 1: And did you did you write this record too? Yes, so you were already writing.
Speaker 3: I was already writing that music and everything.
Speaker 1: When did that start for you ninety two where you started writing your own songs? Yeah, so before when you're high school, you're not writing anything.
Speaker 4: No. I had my little poetry book from the time I was taught where I was writing, and I thought I was writing songs, but it was more poetry than songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And.
Speaker 4: I never liked changed them into melody. It was just stuff that I was writing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So how long were you guys on Giant? You said you had a single two years?
Speaker 3: Three years?
Speaker 1: So three years one single?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: See that's the part of music business that nobody really talks about, right, especially in this new day, right people are just I was I was going over a deal the other day and I was looking at the like some of the time terms of timeline and when.
Speaker 1: This needs to be released.
Speaker 2: And I get it that people want to come out faster and they want to you know, nobody wants to sell on the show.
Speaker 1: But the truth for matters sometimes you're not ready.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you're not ready.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, you know what I mean? In the oven a little longer?
Speaker 3: And why do you think you're not ready?
Speaker 1: You said, why do I think?
Speaker 3: So? Why do you believe that people aren't ready?
Speaker 2: Sometimes they can't even just sit and have a discussion. They're not media trained, they haven't found their sound. Maybe the climbing is not right for their music, depending on what type of music you're making. So there could be a multitude of reasons why.
Speaker 1: But I personally believe that when you know, you know, when you're prepared, you know, because.
Speaker 2: Once a record comes out, good or bad, that's your song, and now these people want to see you entertain them. Right, So if you can't sing without that backing track, you're not ready, that's my.
Speaker 1: Opinion, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: If you can't perform the same way in front of five people, it's five thousand people, you're.
Speaker 1: Not ready right right?
Speaker 2: So you know, you know, when I see these you know, like I said, when I see these new terms and different things that are in deals now that are oh in ninety days after we finished this, the album should be dropped, right should it?
Speaker 3: No, it shouldn't.
Speaker 4: I mean the excitement is there for the artists because you have a dream, right, you have a dream, and you feel like your dream is more important than anything else that matters the scheme of things, and not realizing it's a business. And my father taught me really that if I wanted to get into music, I need to get into business, and he gave me the book to read, This Business of Music. Of course I didn't fully read that book. Who does, because when you're creative, you're just a creative. But when I tell you, I was a year ago, years old when it occurred to me that I had not found my voice until most recently. And that's why people tell you to relax and wait and figure out who you are before you decide to be an artist, because that's why we have so much of what we have out there today. And there are no more prints, no more Michael, no more of the essential thing that it takes to change people's lives where people look up to that artist that understands so much who they are and so in tune to who they are musically, creatively as a human being, what their purpose is. When you understand all of those things, then you can really relate to an audience. Then you can really give to an audience who you essentially are so that they can buy into it, because until then they really don't understand who you are. Like I have a single, I have one of the most powerful singles in the world that to this day is still rotating to this day like it came out yesterday. Problem is, you could have a single that does all of that, you have to attach it to a situation where you are so one thousand percent you as an artist. You have something to give with that single and persona and belief system and purpose and destiny and because you carry a message with that.
Speaker 3: And back before.
Speaker 4: I met Dre, my god sister used to say to me all the time, she quoted a scripture to me all the time that I didn't really understand until recently. I didn't understand the full brunt of it till till recently. She used to say, And you probably know the scripture.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to get scripture right because he grew up in church.
Speaker 4: No, but it's one of those It's one of those that's just so loud because.
Speaker 1: I just know that the people that watch.
Speaker 4: Show seek you first, the Kingdom of God and all this righteousness, and this shall be added onto you.
Speaker 1: And I've heard it.
Speaker 3: You've heard it.
Speaker 1: Heard, yes, I've heard.
Speaker 3: Well, you're like me.
Speaker 4: I went through several years like or what does she mean by what does that mean? In other terminology that may not understand the church and understand the scripture?
Speaker 1: And what is the scripture? Again?
Speaker 4: You said, seek you first, the Kingdom of God and all this righteousness and all these things should be added on to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, a lot of people don't know what that means.
Speaker 4: I didn't know what it meant like as it pertained to me until recently. I was like, at the end of the day, what that is is what is your purpose?
Speaker 1: Who are you?
Speaker 3: What is your destiny?
Speaker 4: What are you doing on this earth that God gave you a gift to do besides sing and perform and entertain.
Speaker 3: What is it that you have to offer.
Speaker 4: People in need of something to make them feel like whatever feel like living longer, feel like pursuing a dream, feel inspired, feel encouraged, feel like getting up in the morning when they feel like dying. What is it about you and what you do that offers people that in your art and whatever it is that you're doing. And when I tell you that changed the whole trajectory and meaning of who I was when I finally woke up to it, and who I wanted to be and what I found out about myself. And it only takes a little quiet time. It only takes like really just kind of stealing away from everybody and everything, the industry, the thoughts of other people, the opinions of other people, all of the noise that happens in Hollywood. It only takes a moment for you to go and sit down with yourself and your own thoughts and find out who you are. And I didn't actually do that, and you start that until well after I got divorced, after certain life shit happened to me.
Speaker 3: It didn't it didn't register. So I had all these things.
Speaker 4: I had, you know, had a song, I had, you know, the relationship with all the dynamic people in the industry, all of the things. But I really wasn't prepared to deal with any of that. And so to go back to what you were saying, when you say an artist is not ready or a project is not ready, that's what that really means. A lot of these artists out here, they're just they're doing music, and it's great music, and it's it's a lot of stuff floating around, But how memorable is it, how penetrating is it?
Speaker 3: We remember Prince and Michael because of that.
Speaker 1: What I've found lately is that it's becoming, in my opinion, for a nice portion of our artists, it's becoming just more of a hustle. Right, It's becoming more of a hustle because the steps are just a lot different than it used to be.
Speaker 2: Like you said, y'all had to go in an office, jump on a table, like really, get nobody saying.
Speaker 1: It was a video of Bobby s murder years ago.
Speaker 2: He went into the office and day were like that looks crazy, and I'm like, yeah, I've seen.
Speaker 1: So many artists do that.
Speaker 2: It just wasn't on video because they just wanted it so bad. Now it's like, I'm extra cool.
Speaker 1: I caught it called a little wave, I got a song and now I'm popping. Yeah, I'm not ready, and I don't even know if I can give you another one, or if I even.
Speaker 3: If I care, if I care to.
Speaker 2: So I think that is something that I've just noticed, and I just I feel like as I talk to more and more artists, I get excited when someone is actually well studied, when someone starts to tell me, like I watch videos.
Speaker 1: Of such and such and such and such.
Speaker 2: You know, I still read credits, like I find I find a way to know who wrote the songs, because it's not like you just buy.
Speaker 1: The album anymore and can open it up.
Speaker 2: So someone who actually cares to that point other than just you know, skip skip skip and going through the songs and whatever. When an artist tells me that, and then I can start finding I start for myself. I can start finding their inspirations and hearing them and I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, you've been listening to Yeah, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: Now that makes sense.
Speaker 2: That you're creating You're trying to create this, you know, this super artist of yourself. Yeah, I would think, you know, yeah you are. So okay, let's get back to the music part. Let's get back to the music part. So you you guys that deal doesn't work out, do you do you stay together or do you immediately like, ah, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: Do my thing. I got pregnant, Okay, now we're having babies.
Speaker 2: I had a baby, which I would like you to talk about too in this business because.
Speaker 3: Said which grew me up.
Speaker 1: It's very different.
Speaker 2: From a man having a baby in the industry as an artist and a woman having a baby in the industry and what you can do, the things you don't.
Speaker 1: Have time to do anymore.
Speaker 4: Everything shifts, man, that just shifted recently. I always say when I when I talk to people, you know, when I see CARTI having multiple babies when songs at the same time, that was just like unheard of back and the day I couldn't do that, right, No, go get an abortion.
Speaker 2: We come fing a time where people didn't even say they had the kid or the baby was like you just didn't.
Speaker 4: Know, just to know, yeah you just didn't know, or it just wasn't allowed, or just yeah, don't do that period, it was just forbidden.
Speaker 2: We were actually in the industry at a time where you can't even say you had a boyfriend, our girlfriend and our wife, like.
Speaker 4: You're unavailable yes, yes, it really used to be resume.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was really a part of the music business at one point.
Speaker 3: And now because it's all about drama. Yeah, there's that, there's that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so you you get pregnant.
Speaker 3: I got pregnant. Yeah, So do you.
Speaker 1: Keep recording, you keep trying? Do you start writing more?
Speaker 3: I was writing more, but that just that changed my entire destiny. One thing I always say about God in my life is whenever I am doing something that is not in line in alignment with where I'm supposed to be going, God'll be like, cut that next next lesson. And so I was onto my next lesson.
Speaker 4: My next lesson was I ended up pregnant, had a child with my my best one of my best friends at the time and he's still my best friend to this day. My daughter's father, but we kind of weren't like meshing as a couple. So my daughter was like maybe one. I was going through really bad phase of postpartum. So I ended up. I don't know if you know my cousin at the time, well she's my cousin, but at the time she was signed to Sylvia Rohane. Her name is Billy Lawrence. Oh yeah, I didn't know that was your cousin, and yeah, I went to see her. And at the time, she was working on writing records for Mary and you know a lot of the people. She's living in New York and I was still in LA and I just kind of felt like the Libra and me was like trying to just get out of my skin because I was going through postpartum and I was like, yeah, baby, new baby, and I still wanted to just be me.
Speaker 3: So I ran out to New York stay with her.
Speaker 4: One of the people she was working with at the time, and a good friend of her became a good friend of me. His name is Delight. He was a producer.
Speaker 1: I absolutely know who Delight is.
Speaker 3: I ended up marrying Delight.
Speaker 1: Okay, didn't know that, but I know who Delight is.
Speaker 4: I buried him and started, you know, doing music with him as well, writing songs, and he was submitting songs to Diddy Andre at the time for projects. At the time, Drey was working on his first lady Aftermath, which was a young lady named Kim Summerson. I had submitted some records with Delight to him, and there was one record called Turn Me Out that Dre just went absolutely bananas for He was like, who wrote this record? And I was like, oh, my wife wrote it. And he was like, okay, we want this record for Kim. And I don't know how many other records they took, but they flew me out to do the vocals with her and stuff. And you know, because the way that I demoed songs back then, it was kind of like more of an artsy thing. It was what I learned about being a fan of Prince. It was more, you know, it was it was more that it was more artistic than it was just singing the song straight down like a demo.
Speaker 3: Like if you were submitting the.
Speaker 1: Now, you were making the songs for you.
Speaker 2: That's what what Dre used to say.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I guess.
Speaker 4: But when I submitted the song, you know, he was like, okay, well we need you to help her with the little inflections of little things, little pieces. Okay came out and then I started writing for some of the artists that he had time yet. He was working with Eve and uh Dawn from in Vogue, yeah, a few other people, and so I was just writing records.
Speaker 1: As you're just writing records, this is a song that you wrote. That is one of my favorite songs.
Speaker 3: Which one Wilson Yesterday. Yes, that was before them.
Speaker 1: I loved that. No no, no, no, I love it. And I didn't know you wrote that record. Yeah, and I found I was like, oh, this is special because I always loved the record. I love Chinese.
Speaker 4: Well, actually it wasn't before then. I wrote that about the divorce. It was about the divorce from him from the light. Okay, yeah, that's about because I was I was married for maybe six months.
Speaker 1: Listen, we're gonna put it in. That's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just put it in a song.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you don't have nothing to write about, just Godeo live, yeah, live.
Speaker 1: A little bit. Yeah. So you had that placement already.
Speaker 4: I had, well, I was Jamie Jazz okay, okay, and he was working with Chinese and so I was writing with him and then he was like, yes, I needs another record for this album, and so I went in to work with him and we came up with Yesterday.
Speaker 2: And now you're are you just kind of on staff at Aftermath as a writer.
Speaker 1: Off and on yes, So no artist stuff at all at first.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I had given that up. I had given that up. I was done with that. After Sugar Dap, I had kind of resigned to just writing. And I really had gone through so much at that point, you know, having a baby, getting married, getting divorced.
Speaker 3: It was a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, so I didn't know what I wanted, going through an additional heartbreak before that.
Speaker 3: It was just a lot going on.
Speaker 4: So I just kind of sat back and I said, I'm going to just write and figure out what I want to do with my life.
Speaker 2: So at what point does it turn into Okay, you're writing these great songs for the other artists that are part of the label.
Speaker 3: Right, actually you should single.
Speaker 2: Well, you're doing it on purpose because you sound like you said you was singing the demos very prince like I did.
Speaker 3: I swear to you, I didn't.
Speaker 4: It was nineteen ninety eight. I had moved back home with my mother after all the disaster and my brother, because my brother was living in San Jose with his new wife. Moved back with my baby and said, I'm going to go back to school. I'm going to get into interior design because I love all things creative.
Speaker 3: So I got a.
Speaker 4: Call Christmas ninety eight, Dre Mike Linn on the phone. They're like, Yo, we need you to come down here. We want you to try some records for yourself. We're sitting here listening to these demos and you sound like you need to be a solo artist. I was like, oh no, oh no, I'm going a different direction of my life.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go back to school. Tree was like, what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Are you? Are you still writing to No.
Speaker 3: At that point, I gave up everything.
Speaker 1: I was done.
Speaker 4: Yes, they were listening to all the demos that had submitted for all the artists and everything that I had done for after myth at that point, and I was frustrated. I was done. I said, no, I'm done. I don't want to do this no more. Fuck the music industry for.
Speaker 1: All this shit. And then you get the call.
Speaker 4: They called me and was like please just just come down, and then he put Dre on the phone exclusively, like offspeaker phone. Drake gets on the phone and says, listen, let's try. You don't have to, you know, do anything you don't want to do. Let's try, and if it doesn't work, nobody will hear it. I was like, you promise.
Speaker 3: I was like, you promised.
Speaker 4: I said, okay, all right, let's let's let's let's try. I was on a plane right after Christmas back to La moving into a place. I think I lived in Oakwood at the time, because I was stationed in Sands again.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he had to go to the Oakwood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the oak Woods. Worked on all these records. Man, I did over. I told Terry, I said, I did one hundred records. One hundred. Danny decided, oh, we're going on tour. We're going over Smoke, and I want you to sing on the tour. You're gonna come out with us, and then you're going to continue to work on the bus.
Speaker 1: Before any of the project has come up. Yeah. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: He was like, You're going to continue to work on the bus on the album, and I'm like, okay, after one hundred songs, I'm still going. So I'm still working on the bus, doing the tour, doing some more ridiculous songs with Mailman. At the time, I was on the same bus as time and we were pumping out some heat. A lot of the songs that I did people will never hear.
Speaker 3: Crazy, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: If you know doctor Dre you know, a lot of the songs will never be heard, they'll never see the light of day. But man, those are some of the songs that people should hurt.
Speaker 3: So I did like three albums essentially.
Speaker 2: So why are you on the bus and on tour? Is that when you do break your neck with Buffy?
Speaker 3: No, that was when we got back.
Speaker 4: That was after we released Addictive, or we're about to release Addictive.
Speaker 2: I'm about to say, because it's not the same time, Yeah, the same okay round the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was in the studio at home.
Speaker 1: So how is that for you?
Speaker 2: In that process of Okay, I got this record with Buster the rhymes out.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Well, let's rewind a bit because during those days, Dre will call me in the middle night and I remember I saw a baby girl. I had to get her to school in the morning. All praise to my mother. My mother was the reason. She was the anchor that allowed me to work back then, because if I couldn't take my daughter to school because I was in the studio till five o'clock and I was sleepless in Seattle, my mom would take my daughter to school and then I have to be back in the studio about one o'clock around the clock. So sometimes I would go home early from the studio, go home and go to sleep so I could get back to the studio next day. Andre would call me at two o'clock in the morning, bust it here, we need this hook.
Speaker 3: Get back up here, and I.
Speaker 4: Go to the studio in the middle of the night write a hook, sing it.
Speaker 1: Or you missed that opportunity, yeah, or you.
Speaker 4: Missed the opportunity. Oh, I really didn't have a choice. Really, I had to get my ass up and just go do it. But it is an opportunity.
Speaker 3: You're right. There was no saying no. I would get up and just go right. That's it. That's what I was there to do.
Speaker 1: Period. So you're writing, you're writing all that stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm writing that stuff too.
Speaker 1: Oh that's dope. Yeah, that's dope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So go back home, go to sleep.
Speaker 2: Did you were your intentions now to move where you're moving into your artistry? Were your intentions to be a part of a lot of hip hop stuff or was that just kind of thrown at you?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I mean it just was a part of where I was, right, That was is aftermath. So I fit in there the way that I could fit, of course, and so the side of me that that that was rebellious at the time, that did have something on my chest that I wanted to say, that side of me that worked in that era of what we were.
Speaker 3: Writing and what we were doing.
Speaker 4: So still trying to figure out who I wanted to be as an artist, because I didn't know if I wanted to be an artist, remember, So that's why you get in there and you're you're you're, you're muddling around and figuring out what you want to do.
Speaker 3: But then it wasn't my idea at the time. So let's go into that idea.
Speaker 1: Let's go into addictive. Where does that even come from?
Speaker 3: Quick? DJ Quick, DJ motherfucking Quick.
Speaker 1: The incredible, incomparable amazing, Yeah, yeah, DJ motherfucking Quick.
Speaker 4: My brother and I initially after Wine met Quick through the phone business with my dad nother way, go figure.
Speaker 1: He bought one of the burners there you go. Hell yeah, Quick as a name.
Speaker 4: Quick in G One. I dated g One back in the day when oh my god, you remember the North rich earthquake.
Speaker 3: I remember Northwind?
Speaker 4: Back then, I was I was dating G One and I was selling the phones for my dad going back and forth to San Jose living in North Hollywood, got caught in the middle of that quake. But during that time, my dad was still up in the bay, and I was like, oh, g one, said quick, one of you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, up to up to the up to the bay.
Speaker 4: Sorted that out. Him and my dad got close quickly, love my dad. George loved my dad. So this was long before addictive. So you know, they say everything is three hundred and sixty degrees. You end up meeting people back where you met them. And so Quick was already a brother to me. That's why people don't know. And that was how this whole thing was effortless with him and Dre because at the time him and Dre weren't speaking because of whatever happened with Sugar and all the back story.
Speaker 3: They hadn't spoken. Oh, so that record brought them back to gain Hello. Truth bought them.
Speaker 2: You know what, like we said, well, we say we standing on the truth, we stand true, we stand in truth on truth today and.
Speaker 1: So y'all go do that record.
Speaker 4: He did the record. No, that was all Quick. So Quick gave me that record for my birthday. We were supposed to be working on something else, gave me some other stuffs. It was crazy because No, it was crazy because at the time, right we had done all the records we could do and we were looking for a single.
Speaker 3: Still we were working on a single. Single.
Speaker 4: We were like, Dre's like, we don't have a single. We don't have a single, we don't have a single. When I started talking Quick Quick was giving me other tracks. I don't know what made him call me with this one, but he had done this track with MC light.
Speaker 3: Initially he put it on her. No, it never came out. They just did it.
Speaker 4: She put the vocals on. It never came out. He was like, listen, see what Dre feel about this track. He sent it to me. Dre is in the hospital at the time with his wife, having his daughter with his wife, and I'm like, I don't want to disturb y'all, but you got to hit this.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I said it to him.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna send it to you and you tell me what you did.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 3: Drey was like, what the fuckest He's like, what is this?
Speaker 1: Had you cut your vocals yet? No? I tried to.
Speaker 3: Write to this ship. It was killing me.
Speaker 4: I couldn't write to it. It was driving me crazy. I had to call in Static.
Speaker 3: Rest in peace, my brother mine as well.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 4: So I've lived so many lives in this business. I feel like I'm skipping over so much. Because Static and I had worked on some other stuff back in the day for Leah with timbling. That's how much my pen was just going, going, going, going before I even got into this thing with Dre.
Speaker 1: Now, he would call me at like six in the morning California time. Why why it's very early in California.
Speaker 3: Right light, My god, such a bright light.
Speaker 1: He's trying to get me to come to Louisville.
Speaker 3: See, like Louisville, Louisville.
Speaker 1: You gotta come down here with you. You got you got, you gotta come down to the derby. You got barbecue, we got weeds. I don't, but.
Speaker 4: You know, I know about it because I'm from Blue It's not far from Louisville.
Speaker 1: I love that brother, man.
Speaker 4: But man, you know the whole group was was they stole my heart. They stole my heart back in the day.
Speaker 1: So you sent it to Status.
Speaker 3: I didn't send it to Static.
Speaker 4: I called him in, okay, because at first, when I wanted Static to come in to write because I was like, Dre, I'm look, I've written a hundred songs.
Speaker 3: I can't write no more.
Speaker 4: When I originally wanted to get static, I I ran it by Dre and he was like, who who? I said, I said, you don't know, player, You don't know because you know my writing history hit long already, and he didn't really Yeah, yeah, he had his own world, he had his own genius, he had his own crew. I was like, please let me bring him in. Initially the answer was no, not for Addictive. This was earlier songs because I couldn't write no more. I was like, yo, I'm stuck.
Speaker 3: Now stuck, that's it.
Speaker 4: A hundred songs. He said, yes, for when I tell you that man came in and wrote Addictive in five minutes, Praise God, five minutes. Five minutes. He walked in, he sang down the melody, he walked out. He listened to the melody, he walked in, he put the lyrics to it, he walked out.
Speaker 3: I said, I know you.
Speaker 1: Oh so you didn't write on a dick.
Speaker 3: No, I wrote whatever the other song, put the r Kelly song in a tic.
Speaker 1: It one other thing. Artist, if someone gives you a smash.
Speaker 2: Sing it please and thank you, thank.
Speaker 4: You, because my new project is only that get out of your own way.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, today today.
Speaker 4: Because until you do that, you really don't you really don't understand the essence of your genius, your own genius.
Speaker 3: You have to do that sometimes. And if Michael Jackson did it, who are you?
Speaker 1: One more thing that I think.
Speaker 2: Printing all of his genius, he had a lot of people thinking they could do it bout himself.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, you're not. Prince, You're not, You're not prince. Prince played several instruments. Let's let's let's not let's not forget that.
Speaker 1: Part he was.
Speaker 3: He was a lot several instruments.
Speaker 1: But you know, I think as artists semi listen.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm surrounded by Gemini, so I know. But I think that that happens with, you know, with a lot of artists sometimes where he's like, oh.
Speaker 3: You know, get stuck.
Speaker 1: It didn't come from me, and I, you know, I.
Speaker 4: Just write, it's got to come from me. It's almost like that's the rule, and it's not.
Speaker 1: The rule is to get to hit.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you this last project, God said, what have you not done yet that you could do that might serve you and show you who you actually are.
Speaker 3: And I said, what you know?
Speaker 4: You get those downloads and you'd be like, what you be confused by your own downloads?
Speaker 3: And you'd be like, Lord, what are you saying?
Speaker 1: What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What?
Speaker 3: What does this mean?
Speaker 4: And and and and and if you don't believe in God, the universe will tell you something and you'll be like, what does this mean?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: Why do I keep thinking this? The only thing that I had not done.
Speaker 4: Is be a muse for other people to write and tell me who they believe I am. After all of this, after all of this, and when I tell you, the magic on this new record is uncanny. Because of that, this man wrote this record for me that don't know me from Adam. The record was so some synonymous with my journey in life. I called my sister that got him to do it. This god, this new writer named bug shout out the book. My sister lex I said, did you tell this man my business? She said no, no, nothing. And when my dad heard the song, my dad said, you didn't write that. I said, I swear for God, I didn't write it. This man wrote the song he don't know Me from Adam or eve mm hmm. That's what inspired him and then and then, but it more than spoke to me.
Speaker 3: It is me. It is me.
Speaker 4: If you let anybody hear that song, they're like, you wrote that. I'm like, no, I didn't write it. And when you understand how God inspired somebody else to write about you, that's a whole new level of the game, because that means you've made a statement for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, if somebody, if you've if you've put enough out there for somebody to be able to pull from and create and really.
Speaker 2: Like you said, lock in like that. No, that means you've done something. Because sometimes it's spiritual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I means you've done something real.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's spiritual. It doesn't it doesn't have to come from what they see. It may come from something that they get. They get downloads too, and they just happened to know where you're going next. And when I tell you, this man told part of my story with his pen about my divorce and everything that I had gone through in those last years, I said, this is crazy. I said, I know you told this man something about me. I know you took because I never trusted anybody to write anything for.
Speaker 3: Me until now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so other than static, well that had to happen because you know, I had written all little songs. So I was like, yeah, I gotta do it, I gotta I gotta release this now because but that was that was the other time that the magic happened.
Speaker 3: So I was like, let's let's let's try it again. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when the record drops and it literally he sets the world on fire. I remember the first time I heard it, I was like, where were you? What the fuck? I was in the base still really yeah, I was in the base. I was going back and forth.
Speaker 2: I was going back and forth between LA and the bay, and I was already out here moving around.
Speaker 1: But I was when I heard the record though I was.
Speaker 3: In the bay.
Speaker 1: I heard it the first time on Camel.
Speaker 4: Addictives was so ignorant that it had people arguing about whether it was dope or not. Yes, like radios, which is great, which is.
Speaker 1: Great, actually a great thing, which is great.
Speaker 4: And it got out accidentally because Jimmy Ivan didn't believe in the record. He didn't he was like, no, we need to release the r Kelly record. And so I don't even know how Addictive got out. It wasn't released, it was leaked, okay, and I don't know who did that to this day. It wasn't me, it wasn't Dreh, but somebody. Jimmy said that wasn't the record. He was like, that's not it. He was like, that's not the record. It's the Truth record. But Kelly's going through his stuff.
Speaker 2: But even in looking at that right, thinking about that record, because Truth is a good record too, but thinking about Okay, her name is Truth herds, it's Truth, it's R.
Speaker 1: Kelly. It feels like a layup, yeah, from an executive stance.
Speaker 4: From executive because Jimmy didn't understand what Dray was trying to do with it.
Speaker 3: He didn't really understand from the beginning. He was like, what is this That sounds like Jimmy.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to go into the Jimmy tails. But he didn't really understand the project. He didn't understand where were going with it, and all he knew was that the R. Kelly thing was a layup because he was like, Okay, well it's it's it's a little hood, okay, y'all, y'all, y'all talking like real shit.
Speaker 3: It's hood.
Speaker 4: It's almost like a rapper, but a singer. You gotta do the r Kelly thing first, because and I think.
Speaker 2: Did he have he had rock Land at that time on through Interscope. I think around that same time, I think he has still there.
Speaker 4: I think so, And I think that's what Jimmy was trying to do. He was trying to merge those worlds. But but Robert was going through his stuff then he was starting to go through, you know, the drama of whatever was happening in his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So now when your record pops though, it.
Speaker 2: Leaks, it leaks at least people are arguing, even us. How do you how do you feel like, what's the feeling of the years you've put in? Yeah, the times you've quit are are pivoted. I like to say, he's gonna be an interior designer, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: It just you went back to the Bay.
Speaker 2: Now you back in LA You've got a record deal, and now you have a smash.
Speaker 1: It's finally here. What does that feeling feel like?
Speaker 3: Amazing?
Speaker 4: Because I didn't even when I heard it on the radio. I was doing my daughter's hair at my house on Valley Circle and with the nails and I was like, wait, that's addictive.
Speaker 3: It was just blue. Me and my mother started because nobody knew it was released.
Speaker 4: Me and my mother started screaming, and my daughter was still young, she was like, money, is that you. I was like, yeah, that's crazy. I don't know how I got on the radio, but it's me.
Speaker 3: It was. It was wild. The whole thing was wild. It just it mistakenly happened.
Speaker 1: So it was just so, do you immediately start doing shows?
Speaker 4: No, no, we immediately try to find a second.
Speaker 1: Single before you even start moving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, huh, because we were It was an accident, but.
Speaker 1: You don't start working it.
Speaker 4: Listen, it had it been up to Dre, that song probably would have seen the light of day. Okay, So we weren't ready.
Speaker 1: So as much as going they're already trying to.
Speaker 4: Get off it, they weren't trying to get off it. We were trying to prepare to continue with the album. It wasn't it wasn't a matter of not getting out on the road, because I ended up getting out on the road. It was a matter of making sure we had something to follow follow to keep the momentum up. But man, we weren't expecting that momentum to take off the way that it did, and because it was so different and I have anything else on.
Speaker 1: The album, I was like, gotch you?
Speaker 3: That was the test.
Speaker 1: So in a sense, it was your thong song. Okay, do you get what I say when I when I say that, though, explain so Cisco amazing singer. Yeah, great records.
Speaker 3: You mean coming out of his group to that.
Speaker 2: Yes, and and but just even not even just coming out of his group to that, but also what the rest of his album sounded like.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's different.
Speaker 2: Nothing on that album sounds like throng song. It's like because to me that's also ushers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nothing on Nothing, but nothing on Confession sounds like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, it's you know what I mean, And it's this thing that you can you can but He's seg though, but you can't get caught up in that. You can get caught up in this massive thing that it's a distinct sound that maybe isn't what your full artistry is about.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean.
Speaker 4: So it goes back to what we originally spoke about the artistry and who you are, what you're delivering through your artistry, what kind of truth you're delivering through your artistry, because you have to know what that is.
Speaker 2: So did you have moments where you're like, Okay, well we have this, you know, East Asian sample, and I gotta I gotta be in this space.
Speaker 1: I gotta I gotta look like the part. No, you never went there though, where you're just like all, I gotta put on the costume.
Speaker 4: I at least knew that much about who I am. I'm from Saint Louis. I'm not to listen.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't so much that it was it was more.
Speaker 4: What do you do visually? But I think we delivered that. Yeah, absolutely did we delivered that. We got Fatima, and Fatima she knows how to She knows how to cross over those those boundaries and and and mesh them and make them sexy.
Speaker 3: And I think that's what's crazy about the record is.
Speaker 4: Even the people in India who thought it was disrespectful to do the record with a lot of mangoshka sample, I think they still love how sexy the merge is and even what Fatima did to merge it, you know, with the dancing with with with the dancers she got.
Speaker 3: She made me take belly dancing classes.
Speaker 4: We we really tried to tap into the culture.
Speaker 1: Well why would Why did they feel like it was disrespectful? Is it is this song or is a.
Speaker 3: Because it's India.
Speaker 4: I don't think there was anyarticular reason, Okay, I think it was just the fact that it's there's a difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't stand for our records.
Speaker 3: Simple And it was without permission. And that's what I was about to ask you about. I know, yeah, this what's next.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's clear that up for everybody now, because I know your show, You and Tank show is big enough to clear up a lot of bullshit. Let's clear up all the bullshit right now about what happened with the lawsuit and the result of the lawsuit, because a lot of people believe that there.
Speaker 3: Was millions and millions and millions and.
Speaker 4: Millions paid Out's not a lot of millions paid out.
Speaker 3: That's number one. The lawsuit did happen.
Speaker 4: They saw a chance to get somebody that is as large as doctor Dre and go after him. Sample was accidentally not cleared because the way that the sample was procured by quick.
Speaker 3: And you're gonna think this is funny. He's sampled.
Speaker 4: He was in the shower, he said so this is this is this is all quicks account. He was in the shower and he heard he had his his, his, his, his.
Speaker 3: TV playing some foreign station.
Speaker 4: This is quick Ship, quick Ship. I'm surprised y'alln't ask him this when he was on. But this was some ship that that that only quick could do. He's in the shower, he hears the song playing. He runs out of the shower wet. He's wet, had to tell and he's like, what the fuck is that. He starts taping it, like what is this? It is a foreign channel playing the original song. Latta on the video is a woman dancing around the room for Men's Vine, for Men's Affection, and she's belly dancing and he's like on a stole and he he sampled it.
Speaker 3: He taped it.
Speaker 4: I don't know what he put it on, but he taped it. But I think it went from the shower, got the sample and was like, yo, I'm sampling this shit because he didn't think, you know, it's across the world. It's not going to make a difference, right, And in the midst of that, we're thinking, because producers back then it's their job to clear samples that they use between them and their attorneys. It's not the artists or the label, it's the producer. So we didn't think about any of that. We thought it was done. It was not clear, and so they came after Dre and what they tried to come after him with. The argument they had was they said that it was spiritual. It was it was something that they used for their religion, and that it was a violation of their religion. That was the way they wanted to confirm that they would, you know, win the settlement. Yeah, come to find out, that was the reason they didn't win, because the investigation was done on the whole thing and it was not spiritual.
Speaker 3: It was very much a formal process of prostitution.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, when you're dancing around the room vying, I'm like, this is this is not spiritual, this is not religious, this is not So that was what lost them the actual lawsuit. So what they indeed won. Everybody out there who think they know, and you know, when y'all posting, oh, they she's walked up because she five hundred million, that shut up and listen. It's crazy because they didn't get that. None of that happened. None of that happened, it didn't happen. What they got was the right to properly credit the record. So they made inner scope, pull everything off shelves, pull it off Internet, whatever wherever it was. They had to properly credit it and then they could put it back. So basically the it had to be done properly, proper splits. But because at the time I got scared during the lawsuit and was trying to leave the label, we thought, you know, nothing was going to work at this point with that, with that level of a lawsuit, I got scared of the way people get scared when they hear the number five hundred million.
Speaker 3: I got scared too.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, maybe we should shut this down and I should just kind of go on my way. So I kind of ran from the process, which is my long history of a lot of things being a runner. Until the last five years of my life, I've been a runner. I was like, oh my god, this is gonna this is gonna fuck me up. I'm not gonna be able to put out any more singles and the record is done. And I listened to a lot of what other people had to say, and I shouldn't have, and that's the bottom line and got scared and fled the situation, asked Jimmy for a release, asked Dray for a release, and they did.
Speaker 3: They released me. They were like, you can get out of the deal.
Speaker 4: You know. I had a lawyer and a manager at the time, powerful manager at the time, which was Troy Carter, and we figured out a way to just kind of exit the situation that unscathed.
Speaker 1: I say, this is all during the first person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you know, it was a lot. It was overwhelming.
Speaker 1: So were you not performing either?
Speaker 4: I was. I was.
Speaker 3: I was on the road. I was on the road.
Speaker 4: But still when this came down the pipeline, it was kind of after the song was fizzling out and I needed a new single and the only other single we were thinking about.
Speaker 1: Was the one with R Kelly and then yeah, that was.
Speaker 3: Happening with his legal issues. So when I tell you so.
Speaker 2: For you, these are signs at that time, because because I you know, I'm going back to also the truth. Who's telling me I was never trying to come back to this and.
Speaker 3: Seek you first, the cadom of God in his rights.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my god, what is going on?
Speaker 3: My head was filled with so much. I didn't know what to do.
Speaker 2: I was like, because in hindsight, it's like, oh, yeah, you just keep pushing forward and you put it this and you do this, and we get to the next.
Speaker 1: This why you're going through it?
Speaker 2: And like you said, you hearing these numbers and it's five hundred million trillion.
Speaker 1: Dollars, that's all I understand. You Like, I got to get out of this because at some point maybe they want me to pay this. I ain't got five hundred million.
Speaker 4: Well I thought they would put it against against against my account, so they ended up putting a million and some change against my account.
Speaker 3: So really, but it wasn't because of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you probably just.
Speaker 2: Playing litigation and paying you know, whatever the budget was. But yeah, yes, wow, yes, so all of that happened.
Speaker 1: And now you're free. You're off the label.
Speaker 4: I'm off the label. But I am still working out the details of exiting the contract fully and the amount O. I'm still exiting that as we speak. We're still in discussion about that. Wait to this day, to this day, Yes, to this day, R and B money ship.
Speaker 1: I didn't think that. I didn't think you're going to say that that is.
Speaker 3: The truth, that didn't think the truth?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you.
Speaker 4: Were one point seven million and I think fifty five dollars.
Speaker 1: Man, how do we get it down to fifty four? S? Yes?
Speaker 2: Well then the Watcher two comes out too, though, which you.
Speaker 3: That has nothing to do did you.
Speaker 1: But but I'm saying, like these things are happening.
Speaker 4: But all of those were things that they were already doing. Night calls, those are just those those were my writers, those those weren't They had nothing to do with the truth Truth hurt.
Speaker 1: But then.
Speaker 2: The actress just still has nothing to do with my album.
Speaker 1: So none of these things crossing at all.
Speaker 3: No, that doesn't pay off.
Speaker 1: Nothing about paying off. No, no, no, I'm just saying as far as.
Speaker 4: Just the work that just made me actor, that didn't that didn't you know, do anything with interscope as far as you know, recruitment.
Speaker 3: So I just they were.
Speaker 1: Also still in business, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, because because Jimmy just helped me procure those things to promote the album, those things were external, like Ali, all those extra opportunities were you know, of course, you know you Jimmy Ivan, you can call anybody and get anything to happen.
Speaker 2: So you're the new artist. We're trying to get cracking exactly. How was that experience with Ali?
Speaker 4: Oh? My got amazing, amazing. Those were the.
Speaker 1: Because Ali came before the Wash.
Speaker 3: No, I want to say yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: So this is your first time acting, yes, in a major movie, a major film.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And most of what I did had been on stage.
Speaker 1: But you were you were ready, You were prepared.
Speaker 4: I was prepared because I did, you know, the musical acting, and for me, you know, once you do Broadway Agent Broway. But I'm saying, once you do that type of acting and you're ready for it, yeah, yeah, it's a different preparation.
Speaker 2: So so you do Ali soul singer in Ali, and then you do the Watch.
Speaker 4: Actually auditioned for the actually auditioned, auditioned for the Watch.
Speaker 1: You didn't audition for.
Speaker 4: Yes and No because it wasn't it wasn't a part where you know I had to yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, So they had to see me first, right, there were.
Speaker 3: Other people up for the part.
Speaker 4: I'm sure Jimmy's word took precedence, but I had to actually audition for DJ.
Speaker 1: Pooh I had.
Speaker 4: I went in the same room that everybody else auditioned for Vicky. I went in the same room with DJ Pooh to audition for that part, and I got it because I went an audition.
Speaker 1: Well that's how I became a video audition on accident.
Speaker 4: I made okay, you know, audition to hey, listen, do you find find your voice?
Speaker 3: Find your voice?
Speaker 1: Find your really finding my voice? I thought I was doing the Actually I thought I was doing a favor for the homie, and somehow I still end up having to audition. They tricked me.
Speaker 4: That's what they do, because I didn't think i'd have the audition either, but I did.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this snoop.
Speaker 2: But they didn't even but they didn't even tell me though. Really I walked in. It was a camera and they were like, oh, well, can you just read this? And I'm like, you know, okay, I'm here now.
Speaker 1: And then I realized that's all walk and I was like, did they pick me audition? And then I called Kesha and I'm like, kesh Nigga, did I just said audition for your video? And She's like, no, you in my video? I said no, no, no, no, no, I just auditioned for your video. Damn off the favor you asked.
Speaker 3: People crazy, that's crazy work.
Speaker 2: But what and I've said this before, what makes it even crazier is the fact that the director didn't know that I was the friend that Keisha wanted in the video when she saw my when she saw my tape and she picked me.
Speaker 1: I'm like some ship.
Speaker 3: Yes, Wow, that's wild.
Speaker 1: I was made to be a video. No, you stop that, have a little time. I didn't want to have two videos. It's still be in these streets, you know, every couple of months or two and it pop up like, oh, I can't believe j Valentine.
Speaker 4: No lies you tell LIGI tell Lige, you tell it is what it is. Now look at you. You're out here saving lies. I'm telling them the R and B truth.
Speaker 1: I'm trying. I'm trying. That's it. That is the ultimate goal for our show.
Speaker 4: You're ACCOMPLI to this platform, accomplishing it because when I tell you, I haven't done any interviews, and that's my plan to not do any because I hate useless talking.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you pulled up on me like this is this is amazing.
Speaker 4: I'm glad we were all lying as well. I'm glad we were aligned as well, because the R and B conversation is extremely important at such a time.
Speaker 2: And you're important to this conversation, and your story is important because this is how this goes. And this is not just only your story. This is part of the business. There are things that are that you've went through that people are going through, are going to go through, or need to go through, or need to go through, and maybe you know they can learn from.
Speaker 4: This because the truth is a light in that situation. You know, you really don't understand who you are, and toil you grind it through certain things and been affected by certain things. You more understand who you are through those conflicts. And when I tell you, some people it takes longer than others. Some people just kind of catch on and they get it. I had to go through certain I'm hardheaded. I had to go through certain conflicts to understand the importance of what I can. Some people just they snap into it and they understand. Like for me, people like Jill Scott and she she understands her assignment. Some people have to figure out the assignment, but it's a personal assignment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you.
Speaker 2: Did you lean toward acting more once she when she really got you know, those opportunities.
Speaker 4: No, No, I decided that performance was the goal, in whatever shape form, performance was the goal. I just decided to use all the skills that I picked up along the way coming up as a young girl, and said to myself, you know, all of these play an important role in my life.
Speaker 3: So why should there just be one?
Speaker 4: Why why should I stick to one role if all of it plays a position in my story. So no, I didn't say, oh, you know a lot of people were like, oh, I'm gonna act.
Speaker 3: It's faster.
Speaker 4: Money, ain't nothing faster. A journey is a journey. I decided to stop forcing things and I decided to just start living my story the way it is who I am and what I have to offer from it. Because the story is important. It is what really gives you the capacity to do any of this creatively, to give it raw realness. It's the story. And when I decided that, then I understood the assignment.
Speaker 3: I get it, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 4: Because it's all in assignment, birth to death. It's an assignment. It may be shorter if you decide you don't want this. Signman, a lot of people wake up and decide they don't want it, and they do frivolous shit with their life, and they do bullshit and die because you don't want the assignment. But when you have a voice, especially in this hour, this hour, you have to be responsible with that voice. You have to understand what side you choose with that voice. I agree, and so that's why a lot of people get frustrated with the whole music thing and they say, oh, music is dead. No, music ain't never dying. Music is here to muse the sick until we die. No matter who you are, industry standard is dead, not music. Music will never die because people are still affected, very affected by music on the levels of living or dying.
Speaker 3: You can hear a song that makes you fall in love, makes you.
Speaker 4: Feel sick, that makes you feel like dying, that makes you feel like wanting to do something, every emotion, and as long as that stands true, since the beginning of time, nothing different is happening with music. It is how you handle music. It is the business of music that's changing, not the music.
Speaker 2: So you moving forward with your music? How are you doing your business with it now?
Speaker 4: Well, that's interesting, that's a good question because I am in the rebranding part I am doing that solely so that that part can't be tampered with.
Speaker 3: The business part hasn't taken off yet.
Speaker 4: The part that is very much me and my solitude and me deciding who I want to be, what I want to give the world.
Speaker 3: That part is happening.
Speaker 4: Business can't take place until you do that, and that part is what is most important. If you ask focus in this in this juncture, Yes, that's my main focus. I'm almost finished with that part. And then the business, yeah, will have to put its hands all over it. But that's necessary. And that's that's the part I never took time to do. And because I didn't, I was always overcome by Dre's audience. Are Kelly's audience? This one?
Speaker 1: That one? That one?
Speaker 4: Who you stand next to? You know, I'm sure you you see this A lot people be like, oh, oh, I got so and so right here. Oh oh yeah, me and so and so. Drake is here, Drake is here?
Speaker 3: Who are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Who are you? I know, Drake?
Speaker 1: Who are you?
Speaker 4: What does that mean? What do you have to offer me? If I'm a fan, why should I buy into who you are and what you're doing. I'm going through all kinds I'm going through hell right now in this life. Why should I buy into anything that you're doing. What should it mean to me? Especially with the R and B because R and B rhythm and blues. Let's get back to the essence of what that is. It touched lives, it changed lives. It is soul. It is the bottom of soul, like when you think of real R and B and the essence of.
Speaker 2: It, I think that's It's also it's a promotional tool, right, and I think you know, some people get too caught up in the promotional tool and the promotional thing. There is a balance to that for sure, but you know it can put more eyeballs on you. So I think sometimes people are just like, I gotta be next to whatever and to introduce.
Speaker 4: Well, you can do that, of course, because you have to collaborate. Collaboration is very important. I didn't say that that isn't important. It's important. I'm saying you have to know who you are before you can collaborate with anything, Like you have to have an identity or you get whup in that situation with the identity of the person that's standing next to you.
Speaker 2: So what's for you? What's you said? You gotta do music that you're working on. What's the timeline for.
Speaker 3: It's done? Okay, it's done, Okay, pretty much done. I'm still going through some mixing stuff.
Speaker 2: So this side of the year, we're gonna hear Oh yes, absolutely, just sam Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I'm going through a reveal on ten ten.
Speaker 4: Which is my actual birthday, okay, And I'm calling the rebirth because I decided to just kind of lay down this whole addictive grind and the past, and because the past is no longer me.
Speaker 3: I don't live there anymore. That's not who I am.
Speaker 4: So a lot of the shows that want to book me to just do the one off addictive, I can't do it anymore.
Speaker 3: I stopped.
Speaker 1: So you ain't perform the record, Moore.
Speaker 4: Not just as it is. No, I will perform the record. I'll perform it within what I'm doing now.
Speaker 1: But I got you.
Speaker 4: I want to go and do these one off you know the track date I want it.
Speaker 1: So what does the show look like?
Speaker 3: It's a band even you haven't even asked me what it is.
Speaker 1: I'm leading. I'm leading and leading.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 4: My rebrand is called THAC Truth Hurts Collective and it's a band experience and the music is phenomenal. I already told you earlier that I didn't write most of it. The team of people around me.
Speaker 2: Now it's like, oh my, so it's a full collective that it's a it's a collective.
Speaker 1: Everyone that's in it.
Speaker 3: It's a band. Okay, yep, yep, yep ye.
Speaker 1: Can we can you introduce them? Can you? Just so there are no people you know.
Speaker 3: Well, the main I won't.
Speaker 4: I won't introduce the band, but I'll say this, the main two people that are our partners with me, and this is my girl, Alexis. Her name is Alexis Nicole. I call her Alex.
Speaker 3: She is man. She's phenomenal. She works.
Speaker 4: Alongside Mike Karen. Right now she's doing some stuff with APG. But she is ridiculous, like the family of writers and producers and what she has going on in her camp alone is just crazy. So I partnered with her and had her help me produce jac Okay. So when I tell you these records is crazy, I'm gonna tell you how crazy. One of the records is the intro to the album. It's so crazy that the dream came in and he loved it so much. He just put put down a vocal on it.
Speaker 1: Oh so the dream is on the project too, Yes, nice is.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna let you hear it once we get out of here. But crazy, So I'm excited again. It's it's a rebirth and a rebrand and it is where I feel that I've always supposed to be in this music life of mine, that I should have just shut up until now, But no, addictive, addictive is a very integral part of mine.
Speaker 2: But I could, I could just see how what what makes me happy about it? And even before I even hear it is just seeing you light up.
Speaker 1: You saw me light up absolutely like when you when you spoke about you let up.
Speaker 3: It's everything, And that's why we do this. That's why we do this. That's why we do this.
Speaker 1: Like the other stuff that comes along with that's cool, and it would make you feel good.
Speaker 4: Doesn't make you feel like you're doing what you're supposed to do with your life, does it? Does it send a message that can just kind of help somebody feel better about life. And I very much am integrating how both and wellness in this journey because that's what got me where I am now. So I'm getting my uh my pilate certification, my health and wellness certification, all of that sound bath and everything. Well, no, no, sound bad and I don't know sound no, no, no, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 1: I went to asleep.
Speaker 4: Sleep is important. Sleep is important. You know you know how many people can't sleep? Do you know how many people can? Health and wellness is the biggest business right now and for the future because pharmaceuticals have let us down, so and everything else has let us down. Music, all kinds of things have let us down. So people are just trying to get well and and find the right way to get well. So that's what helped me get to this point.
Speaker 1: You got to start teaching pilate. Still last with the music playing.
Speaker 3: I'm allowed to be flying through the sky, And is it you're doing the turn up wings? You ready?
Speaker 1: Which one you're doing? No, I'm not ready. That's ship hard.
Speaker 4: I do the Reformer, I do the Matt and I'm trying to graduate to the Cadillac, the one where you.
Speaker 3: Suspended. Yeah, all of that, No, not me.
Speaker 4: I'm a watch watching this good yeah, watch watching this good little stress.
Speaker 1: It absolutely is that's my a. You go do the turn that you got the you got like.
Speaker 3: D X playing or you got what No, no, no, I got T playing.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, it's more chill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's chill. It's well, it's R and B T c's R and B.
Speaker 1: I gotta hear this.
Speaker 3: You gotta hear it.
Speaker 1: I gotta hear this.
Speaker 4: You like it?
Speaker 1: I do too, some real I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Tank to hear too. I think I think both of y'all don't.
Speaker 1: Like it a lot.
Speaker 2: So in all these you know, amazing health and wellness things that you're doing, you brought something today.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: I did? You know a lot of my family have an a k for me. I'm also known as water.
Speaker 4: I'm the water Queen, not not for reasons that a lot of these rappers talk about water. That's not the water we're talking about.
Speaker 3: I love water.
Speaker 4: I'm a water connoisseur and red wine connoisseur. Wow, but water is my my thing since when I was in high school. I carried jugs of water around with me then. So now I'm just like gotten deeper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the big you know, the.
Speaker 1: Big gallon Stanley cup.
Speaker 4: I didn't have a Stanley cup. I had a gallon back then. I have my Stanley's now. But yeah, yeah, I was on some athletic I was. I was a head cheerleader. I did all of that stuff back then. So I always had like a big thing of water. So he was like, Yo, why you got all this water with you at school? I always have water. And so I met a good friend of mine and we and we got together because this is this is very healing. I've come through a journey of being botched from having breasting plants, and so I had to heal myself through that. And what I found healed me the best was hydronated water peptides that I'm taking now. A lot of little things, but that's why I say I want a health and wellness journey as well, which is what got me to the point where I decided what I want to offer an artistry because.
Speaker 3: I finally know who I am and what I want to do.
Speaker 1: You want to teach, I.
Speaker 3: Want to give people through living.
Speaker 4: Though I think when you teach, it's kind of like preaching, and I think the old school way of preaching is dying and the traditional way of like, people want to see you live your truth in order for them to believe it. Yeah, you can talk talk to I found this with my children. You can talk to you blue in the face, but they won't hear you until they see in you what you're trying to tell them. And so I figured that I really can't give people what I'm not living myself, especially at my age after I've gone through everything that I've gone through.
Speaker 1: So this so this is.
Speaker 4: Hydrogen rich, hydrogen rich water, which is good for people if you've had any type of disease from cancer to anything, anything that you've gone through in your body that's taking your body down.
Speaker 3: Water is a natural healer. Yes, yes, it's so.
Speaker 1: Where is it available online? So it's already.
Speaker 4: This is colony online. Just look Upmindbodymatrix dot com.
Speaker 1: And this is this is your is your product.
Speaker 3: I'm partnered with. Yeah, so but I am the ambassador and were.
Speaker 1: All about it business. Yes, is there is there a certain place online?
Speaker 2: Is there a this is mind body Matrix, Mind body matrix dot com.
Speaker 3: This is get your get your body right, get your mind right.
Speaker 1: Let that flow through.
Speaker 3: But I will have some of those products coming.
Speaker 1: So all right, you know we want to feel good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whatever whatever actually helps the body, that's what we're doing. We're doing.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: Pharmaceuticals.
Speaker 1: No, no, we need to we need some orders to go up. So yeah, yeah, I'll get to that.
Speaker 3: I'll get to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get to that.
Speaker 3: But it's the same, it's the same one Instagram as well, mind body Matrix.
Speaker 1: Okay, some other things you want to get to. We want to know.
Speaker 2: Some of the stuff that the truth about the things that you really loved, that you really like, the things you came up on.
Speaker 1: So you know, we got this, We got this segment, and and let me take let me take on saying something for us mm hmm, top fun. Yeah, I got my notes, you're on top fun. I'm on top my notes.
Speaker 3: Fun, your top f.
Speaker 1: R beasing us.
Speaker 3: All and me songs.
Speaker 1: We've got to know what they thought you Okay, hitting his home pay shut top you top f.
Speaker 3: You sang saying saying thank.
Speaker 1: You know my brother didn't Hell's kischen. Yeah he was on Broadway. Oh my gosh, she's doing eight shows a week, shows a week.
Speaker 3: That's real work.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always say that this is real work.
Speaker 2: So as tanks so eloquently saying, yes, we want to know your top five, your top five R and B singers, first, and then your top five R and B songs.
Speaker 4: Well, my top five R and B singers first, Okay, start with them, saying Prince Minnie Ribardson, Tina, Marie Phillis, Hyman, Anita Baker shot Joe Scott.
Speaker 3: That was seven. Okay, sorry you.
Speaker 1: Got any more? She said so quick too, like I wasn't gonna keep counting.
Speaker 4: That's why I said quick. And I have this, I have this thought that you guys need to who we need to do. Help me, you guys, he changed this a little bit. Okay, So this is what y'all need to do. Y'all need to do it by era. So top five songs because it's like cheating the system, right, It's like cheating the system because if you say top five songs of all time R and B is so much mastery out there. You're cheating yourself, right, And I feel like I'm cheating all the people that I love.
Speaker 3: So I don't think hang with me, Hang with me, Hang with me, okay, hang with me.
Speaker 4: I feel like y'all need to do the top five oh G List and the Top five New School List because there's some people out here that's really making a difference and You know why I say this because I heard statements like Jermaine do Pre recently saying all music ain't no, you need to dig deeper. There's some shit out here that's really masterful, right, and it doesn't get enough acknowledgement because sometimes it's not from.
Speaker 3: The States, like they come here and still like Grammys. But sometimes it's not from the States.
Speaker 1: They just come and steal Grammys and leave. That's what happens.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't say still still is a harsh word. They deserve the Grammys that they get. But I'm saying that to say they come and get up, they come and get them in, then they go back to their country.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So I say that to say that we should definitely applaud what happened from because the nineties was a different era, and before the nineties is a different even different era. So then till up through the nineties is one era. Then pass the two thousands, different era, right, just as important, but different. I can't say you're wrong, Okay, so I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say, my O G, that's.
Speaker 1: What you said, added this out. I said all that, so you could do some other type of ship.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Yeah, because I believe. I believe, I believe I could fly.
Speaker 4: Okay, so listen, Okay, five R and B songs true old school, oh G?
Speaker 1: Not old school?
Speaker 2: Oh G?
Speaker 1: Is it a crime?
Speaker 4: Chic at Last? I am free, golden time of Day. I can't get over you, Cranky Beverly. I couldn't pick Casanova, Brown Tina, Marie Prince, Beautiful Ones. If I was your girlfriend, condition of the Heart, you picked Stevie wondered whole inn Vision's album, but Yes, specifically visions of Golden Lady, Top five News School.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna stick to five new School?
Speaker 3: I'm a stick to five hard. I have a healthy background.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it yesterday I wrote that for Shand because I love that record too. Addictive nigga addictive. If I could say five times addictive, I would say addictive. Okay, he loves me, Joe, Say yes, Floyd. I was one of the first people that acknowledge say yes, so much so that Marsha got tired of me saying how much I love a song. She called me out in the audiences every time because she was like, truth, we know you love say yes, Say yes. It's shout out to Marsha shout out to Marsha Anniversary long version. Tony Tony Tony k One is a new artist. I'm really into. She's on my playlist. Love her, do what I Say Klanie the song she got Old and Folded at a Bond, Love Me Up.
Speaker 3: She's from London, Sasha Keeble, Why I know I should stop?
Speaker 4: Let me stop the Dream. The New Joint is Crazy. Blow my Mind is my favorite on the New Dream album.
Speaker 3: That's my shit. Yeah, I'm gonna stop. I know, I know, I break all the rules. My name is true. Hi, nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 3: Pleasure is mine.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we got another segment, and I would like you to kind of stay into the confines.
Speaker 1: Of what it is. I try please with you. Where you build your votron, you build your super r and b artists. Okay, okay, you're with me.
Speaker 3: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Okay. You got the voice, you got the stage performance, you got the drip, you know what I mean, because they gotta have that fly shit on. And then you got the passion of the artists.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: The Genesee Kwa songstress attitude of Lauren Heil Showday Okay, so you got you got a hybrid, yes, okay. Performance style Prince all right, styling somewhere between Grace Johnson, Michael Jack. I love Grace Jones, passionate Michael and Tina Marie.
Speaker 1: You're creating. Yeah, I mean it's amazing, but it's looks like the production team.
Speaker 4: I would have.
Speaker 3: The dream Quincy Jones Kelly's pen for real, and I would be in there too.
Speaker 1: Hollows a writing camp camp.
Speaker 3: It's noon time. Listen, it's a writing camp. No noon time?
Speaker 1: Did that was so legendary? I was there, legendary. I was there. Okay.
Speaker 2: So just so people know the voice, the lead singers are esque are Lauren Hell and Shot It's a mixture, Okay, okay, okay they shared.
Speaker 4: It's a mixture because for me, it's a whole. Like I said, Jenn and say Quah of delivery. You know, Lauren got that raspiness, she got that because we don't really you could sing up and down the scale a million times. You could be the best singer out there.
Speaker 3: Can you feel it?
Speaker 1: I gotta feel you gotta feel it. Everything that's something you.
Speaker 4: Offer, is that it's that gravel, is that that shit in the throat that everybody can't get. But then you want the calm of the calm because delivers without movement, like she gives fire and smoke about that life. So it's it's it's it's all those things.
Speaker 1: And then who do we have as the performance?
Speaker 2: We had Prince performance Prince Purple Rain, Purple Rain Prince, so not under the cherry Moon Prince, but purple Rain Prince.
Speaker 4: Because I don't know if you remember when he got on that stage and he was trying to prove to appolonia debt, she made the wrong choice.
Speaker 1: If there's algae out there, sometimes you get beside yourself.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I mean he went in that performance, he went in him.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to tell you, listen, let love be the reason, okay, and love is the reason you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna perform every time. It's all about love.
Speaker 4: That's what R and B is to me. It's all about love. It's not about love. We lose some things, absolutely, they lose some things along the way, so you know.
Speaker 1: And then we had Michael Jackson.
Speaker 3: The passion of.
Speaker 4: Our Drip Drip, because the calm of what Mike did you know with with with the shirt and the pants like he gave you drip, but he gave you calm drip.
Speaker 3: It was like a affusion.
Speaker 4: Yes, you could see Mike with just them Penny Loaf his own, but he got them them gleaming some right, and he lets you know what the star because of the glean but it was still played down so it was relatable.
Speaker 3: But then Grace, she gives you show. It's show time with Grace and.
Speaker 4: Boomerang because there's a little bit of that element that has to happen when people come see a show. That's why they go see circ That's why they go see those type of shows, because they want to see a show, and that that element has been missing recently.
Speaker 3: So after no, man can't deny this.
Speaker 1: That part and our passion was who.
Speaker 3: Tina?
Speaker 1: Our passion turn.
Speaker 4: Tina, Tina, Marie, Tina Marie, I should say Tina Turner, God damned.
Speaker 1: So looking healthy, trying to be helpful out.
Speaker 3: Here because it's all about the Tina.
Speaker 1: You know, I love the team. I do too, I love And then the writing came.
Speaker 3: The riding camp is colorful? Can I explain writing camp?
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, back in the day they used to say that that Quincy Jones could be in the room with Bootsy or Raphael's a decor, like five different greats could be in one room, right of course, and create can't do that anymore?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 4: People arrogant? I'm saying that to say it doesn't happen like it used to happen.
Speaker 3: So I brought that bag. Yeah, I brought that back, and in my votron, I bought that bag.
Speaker 1: You brought that.
Speaker 3: I bought that back.
Speaker 1: And I respect that all those.
Speaker 4: Greats in one room, masteries coming out of that room. You mean, mastery is coming out that room.
Speaker 1: All right. I got one more thing for you, Colub. What we got nature name what you did?
Speaker 3: Don't say? She oh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Very important part of the show, is it, very very very ver part of this show? What will you tell us the story?
Speaker 1: Funny?
Speaker 2: Are fucked up? Are funny and fucked up? The only rule to the game is you can't say no names.
Speaker 3: I don't have no stories like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got a funny story. You don't got to be it, don't have to be fucked up.
Speaker 4: No, I don't have stories where you wouldn't know who I was talking about if I said the story.
Speaker 3: I got too many.
Speaker 1: Stories I know.
Speaker 3: I'm sure I'll tell the shortest one.
Speaker 1: Listen is show Danny true hurts. I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 3: This is gonna be a little edgy, is that okay?
Speaker 1: Job?
Speaker 4: So there was a basketball player who decided that this is short the sweet who decided that he wanted to put my name in the Hall of fame, a bitch as he slept with. But I never slept with him, okay. And I was like, I thought lying on your d was played out and was back in in in the eighties, like.
Speaker 3: Who does that?
Speaker 4: Like my mother used to always say, who does that? So I couldn't believe. And at the time I didn't know this person right or you even know them? No, seven foot fulies at the time, huge basketball player, y'all know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I ain't saying names. I was so disturbed by this because I knew that I hadn't done anything with this person.
Speaker 3: I went to Dre, I said, we gotta write a song. We gotta write a song.
Speaker 4: Because I feel disrespected, I feel bamboozled, I feel lit on, I feel I don't.
Speaker 3: Know what the fuck I feel. I feel like I want to write about it.
Speaker 4: So we wrote this song. When I tell you, this song so fucking high, it's called lying. It's called lying on yo. Blank space right. It doesn't say it just says lying on. Yo.
Speaker 3: I tell you this song is so crazy it never made.
Speaker 1: The light of day.
Speaker 3: But the song is ignorant, did you I.
Speaker 4: Didn't say it, just I just I just I just wrote about the fact that we the people shouldn't be doing that that day and age, or we shouldn't be talking to Yeah, come on, why would you do that?
Speaker 3: Because it came back to me through several reliable sources. We dated, but we didn't, and so I was like, Yo, we gotta write a song.
Speaker 1: We gotta write a song.
Speaker 3: I wrote the song. We never released the song.
Speaker 4: The irony of the entire thing is, four years later, me and this person became friends, and now we're the best of friends.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I told him to his face, you a liar, and the truth faint in you.
Speaker 4: And that's how ever, came right.
Speaker 1: But the truth can become your friend.
Speaker 4: And we became the best of friends. And to this day we are the best of friends. And he is, when I tell you, he is iconic in the game. I don't know how the discussion when he never explained.
Speaker 3: He laughed.
Speaker 4: I feel like, yeah, I feel like the the discussion came from an innocent place.
Speaker 3: And he just didn't correct the situation.
Speaker 4: But I called him on bullshit and from that point the story ended as a happy ending.
Speaker 3: And now we're homies. I love that we've been homies.
Speaker 1: Faye. Now that that's that's that's a good story. I like that. Yeah, I like I like absolutely absolutely well, Miss truth Hurts.
Speaker 2: This has been amazing. You're an amazing person. Your spirit is great. I'm so happy that you came and said with me like this is important. You're important. Thank you, and I want more people to know your story. And that's why I love that you've come and hung out.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Thank you for having me, and thank you for doing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: I'm trying. I'm trying. I'm trying.
Speaker 3: No, you're not trying. You're doing and I'm doing.
Speaker 1: And we we also were selling water.
Speaker 3: Mind buying matrix Matrix rich water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is on the way, and uh, you know, you know Valentine has Valentine candles. Definitely giving it's Truth Hurts a candle.
Speaker 3: Where's my candle?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You are not leaving with that one. Got you, I got you so you know. I'm Jay Valentine. This is truth, hurts, and this has been R and B money.
Speaker 1: Peace,