Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right, leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 2: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: So let's even talk about student debt for a second.
Speaker 4: Let's put a cost to go to school right, right, because that's that's an issue in itself that needs to be rectified. Right because traderations are still going to school, like you know, they're I'm graduating classes year after year. Who still are aspiring to take on this amount of money for an education that shouldn't be free. And to be honest, some of it is. Some of it that it doesn't equate to the costs, like the value of the experience is not adding up to the costs.
Speaker 3: But to your point, that's a whole, that's a whole.
Speaker 5: That's a whole nother, that's a whole less of you when so, But that's absolutely on point, right like us thinking about whose fault this is and how we got here, the blame has always been put on borrowers. Our country is built on debt, and everybody going to be in debt.
Speaker 3: Everybody's got to be in debt. They got to owe somebody else who owes money.
Speaker 5: And this narrative that it's the borrower's fault, that it's the person's fault for wanting to pursue a higher education, that is a It is a political argument because you know, parties and politics are a part of who divides that discussion.
Speaker 3: But it's really a question about our value on education.
Speaker 5: Just to begin with, So if you don't value education, then of course you're going to blame people who go right. If you value education and you think education should be a right, then you're going to figure out all the ways in which this government, when they create their policies, when they pass their policies and legislation, make education accessible for everybody. So to your point, and to this discussion I have, I try to avoid arguments. I like to work with the coalition of the willing right. Like everybody got an issue, they want to.
Speaker 3: Fight her, that's nice.
Speaker 4: I'm going to borrow that the coalition of the willing.
Speaker 5: Listen, everybody got a problem, Okay, everybody got a problem with something. And I've been doing this work for twelve years, and so there's some times where I will engage in conversations to convince people. But then there are some folks who are just built to understand that you should pull yourself up by your bootstraps, that it's the borrower's fault, that education is only a shouldn't only be accessible to people who can afford it or who deserve to go And I just don't subscribe to those notions.
Speaker 3: There's everybody deserves to go to school. I don't get excuse me, I don't.
Speaker 5: Care about the cuss I don't care if you just do two years and change your mind, go to school. You see what I'm saying, are like, oh, no, you wasted money. No no, no, no, I don't think the education will ever be a waste.
Speaker 3: So just go.
Speaker 5: And when we talk about cancelation, it is the reframing of our mind in conversations around who's fault. It actually is the government has increased our tuition one hundred and thirty percent. And if you look at most schools across the country that are public institutions that get federal funding, that money is not going back.
Speaker 3: To the students.
Speaker 5: That money is going to hire executive principles and executive officers, and to pay for new buildings and to buy new cars and to do all these things.
Speaker 3: It's not going to the workers. It's not going to the students.
Speaker 5: UCLA right now is trying to expand its campus so they can recruit students to get more income. But students are living in the lounges in the dormitories, and they're not going to the constitution. I teach at U See Santa Cruz and my students during the pandemic, paid the full cost of tuition, paid for housing and food, and didn't get the services because they were at home and did not get a refund. What they did get was three COVID masks and a box of COVID tests.
Speaker 4: Lord, I mean you talk about injustice. I mean, that's it's it's it's insane to know the way. It's insane to know to understand the system and how it's been working. And it's not only just institution of education, but you kind of see these same themes in all the other institutions, right, but it hits closer to the home when it's education because it is the it is the access to information that we need to make progress in our community. And so what what communities like our community has done is be able to tap into the the the masses of people who actually just want to have an experience with information, right, engage with information, learn, cultivate community around the information. And what schools have gotten away from, to be honest with you, is actually building building community and building cultivating kind of learning, you know, this learning experience. Because of the concerns that it's just that are kind of answery around the issue of education. So if if if I've got away the cost of education and against the quality or the need for education, and come on, we all we all know the choice that that that that we're putting up against. And then it's not an a's a no win battle, like who wants to take on one hundred thousand dollars of debt to go through four years of school? And so for young people who are still developing and still growing and looking to have experiences, it's it's it's almost like a dand if you do, damned if you don't. And what I've what concerns me is that too many people have become conditioned to accept that it has to be this way. And so I hear the fire in in in you know, from from you, but I hear the fire from you know, other people as well in our community. But I don't know that that. I don't know that the young people, the younger generator.
Speaker 2: Ernest, what's up?
Speaker 6: You have a walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, there are seats of digital tipping is a breeze and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds, are there? You using square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more. That's Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work of boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professional's routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank.
Speaker 2: But keeping your.
Speaker 6: Money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christine Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 2: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 4: That it's that they're attaining the information because I think it's also ingrained into their parents. I think there's I think the work that we're calling I think the work that we're called to do is to create new narratives right in new paradigms and to make that intergenerational. And so what I hear you saying is is this intergenerational kind of work that needs to not only land on the doorsteps of of institutions, but also households in our community. And so can you can you talk about some of your experience in kind of the community work, how do we galvanize community around these new narratives when it comes to education, Because what I tell my students when they make an educational decision that they're actually making a business. And I kind of frame it in the lens of it being transactional that if I'm going to spend this whatever, if I'm going to spend this number, then I need to know the value of what my degree is or the area I study and so I tell my students, I'm not sending you to college so that you can go have this exploratory kind of magical experience. You know, we're going to do that here now. While it's free. When you go, you're going to go with a plan and a purpose so that you can then build. And I don't I know that. I know that, listen, I know that in that's a rarity in education because I think a lot of people just pump this notion that go to school, go to school, go to school, and then you'll figure it out. And that's been a detriment to my community. So in terms of community outreach and preparing and kind of I guess I want to say equipping our our parents are community leaders with new narratives. What does that been like to be in the fields and spreading that disinformation about the student the student loan crisis.
Speaker 5: It's what you said, it's intergenerational. So I'll talk about that, but it's also.
Speaker 4: Seasy go ahead, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 5: So what I mean by that is that the current borrowers who this recent announcement impacts are anybody who got their loans dispersed after June thirtieth of this year, So anybody after that does not qualify for any of this program stuff that Joe Biden's talking about, which I hope we get a chance to dissect them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's coming next. We got to get there.
Speaker 3: Okay, we talk about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, please bring us there.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, so there's that, And so there are people who are currently seniors in high school who need to make the choice that am I going to go to college or am I not going to going to college? And how much will it cost? And how much will my family have to take out? And will I have student loans? And does this cancelation stuff impact me? Then there are current students on campus who are not paying back their loans right now, don't need for the next two three four years until they graduate. And then there are people who are like me who have been graduated, who are borrowers, who have taken out loans who get thet So there's generations.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, sure, sure, But then it's seasonal.
Speaker 3: It's seasonal in the sense that we have an internal deadline. We're waiting for an application.
Speaker 5: If you were applying for the current forgiveness program, the public student loan forgiveness program. There were some amendments that were made that made it easier, and you have until October thirty first, the next twenty seven days to apply for.
Speaker 3: Public student loan forgiveness.
Speaker 5: The application is still open, but they made some they made some changes to the waiver that are real technical, so people can apply now. The announcement that Joe Biden announced that application closes December twenty twenty three, so people have now until the next year.
Speaker 3: I mean, repayment start on the January first, so fill it out asap. I don't even know why they you're talking about it.
Speaker 4: Get to it.
Speaker 3: If you do it, get to it and do it now.
Speaker 5: But there is still December twenty twenty three for that. So there's the internal timeline season of when we have to apply for this current cancelation. But then there's the season of the movement of education right education justice as some people like to call it. And well, like I said in two thousand and seven, when I first learned about student loan debt cancelation, or I start talking about free education, one nobody in Congress talking about free cancer. Nobody one. We'd have a big We didn't have legislation, what we did have was well, let's just increase the pail grant. Let's try to do tuition freezes, and like those were not happening across the country, and the peil grant wasn't increased. They're like, well, let's change the fast fus so it's in multiple languages, which is like in three languages now, right, it was to your point and to some of our critics, which I am definitely a critic of all the things that have happened in Congress right now around well, these are just incremental changes, right, Like all they changed the fast fus so it's in more languages. Oh, they increase the pel grant. Those are small games and small wins. But I'm looking back as an organizer over the last decade and saying the movement of student organizers then and now had been able to advance a national narrative over the last two and a half years that says not only it's student loan debt a problem, but we're going to push it to make it a national priority. I don't care which debate you look back at in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Let's get to twenty eighteen.
Speaker 5: All the candidates had to take a stand That was one of the questions that the interviewees were saying.
Speaker 3: Okay, Warren, where are you on dead cancer?
Speaker 5: Okay, Biden Okay, Bernie Okay, Corey Bush, Okay, you know Amyklobajar Okay. Which I'll say about film no deck cancelation.
Speaker 3: We did that. We did that.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens.
Speaker 2: Have been arrested.
Speaker 1: If you were here illegally, next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,