Speaker 1: Veteran NFL stars continue to arrive at their respective training camps as we get ever closer to the start of the twenty twenty six season. We update you from a few coming up today, a season that will now be the last for Aaron Rodgers. But how did he come to that conclusion? Rogers explains his decision coming up in Oxnard, California. Welcomes in the Dallas Cowboys this week with work under way. Brian Schottenheimer reiterates their very super goals. We got a live report from Jane Slater in Oxnar on this edition of The Insiders, which starts now. Everybody, Welcome to this Tuesday edition of The Insiders. Patrick Claibon, here's Steve Weischmeke Girlfollo, and Ian Rappaport on his journalistic travels. Shout out to the industry where we all love deadlines, and we had another today. That's what's now today coming into our newsroom. It was the self imposed July twenty eighth deadline by Baker Mayfield, the day veterans report for Tampa Bay for him to get a new deal with the team. And now he also reports to camp with no new deal in place. So Ian we'll start with you. Where do we go from here?
Speaker 2: First of all, my understanding is this is a pretty real deadline for Baker Mayfield. It's not one of those things where you're like, well, you know, I'd like a deal and then maybe you know, I might consider lying that another day. No, Baker Mayfield said, the deadline is the camp reporting day.
Speaker 3: He meant it.
Speaker 2: I do not expect any other contract negotiation conversations to go forward. Baker Mayfield is set to play this contract out and really be in a place where he has been not only his most comfortable, but at his best, where he is betting on himself. He's going to make twenty seven million dollars this year, the last year of a three year, one hundred million dollar contract extension that was very frontloaded.
Speaker 3: He believes he is do a lot more.
Speaker 2: There's several quarterbacks starting quarterbacks in the fifties pretty clear. That is where Baker Mayfield believes he could be in the fact that had any extension happened, it would not have included did hardly, if.
Speaker 3: Any at all money that would.
Speaker 2: Any increases right now, and any deal really would have paid him the latter parts of next year and the following year, just not really something like that Baker Mayfield was going to accept. So no deal for Baker as he now is said to be a free agent after the season.
Speaker 4: Look, the Bucks don't tend to respond to pressure when it comes to contracts. And last night we were on this show talking about Vita Vea coming out with a trade request now because the defensive tackle wanted to be paid. In this case, Baker Mayfield setting a deadline right at the start of training camp. They didn't buckle to that and all of a sudden say, okay, here sixty million. From their perspective, if he plays so well that you have to pay him next offseason, that's a good problem to have. That means that he really balled out this year and showed that this is not a short term thing by any stretch, and that he can continue to be term guy for you.
Speaker 5: It also keep him on the.
Speaker 4: Field, which frankly, he doesn't need the money motivation to do that.
Speaker 5: This is a guy that's tough.
Speaker 4: And willing to play through things no matter what the contract situation is. So from the Buccaneers standpoint, it sounds like they're comfortable taking this into the season, into the offseason. Now, look, there's nothing that says they can't just come with an offer and say, okay, here's fifty five to sixty million dollars and Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 5: Can go, oh no, you missed the deadline. Like no, no, he could take that deal at.
Speaker 4: That point, but Vea had a trade request and a hold in that was in the spring and now potentially could carry into the summer. Baker Mayfield is a starting quarterback. He can't play those cards. So this was his way of creating leverage. He set the deadline, it passed. I'm with you in it does feel very real. Potentially it could change, but from his standpoint, that's the approach.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look at Baker Mayfield. Slute to him for betting on himself. A lot of players won't do that because what's the player's biggest fear.
Speaker 3: That is injury. We talk about Baker Mayfield. He's tough.
Speaker 6: He plays to you know, being hurt, and of course there's a difference between being hurt and being injured.
Speaker 3: If he is able to avoid injury, and like you.
Speaker 6: Said, Mike, if he plays well, a great problem to have because at the very least he could get franchised. That franchise number is going to be up near fifty million dollars if he's willing to play for that. But of course it's always better for a team's salary cap wise to do an extension to amortize some of the money and some of the cap hits over several years instead of one year, which the franchise tag does. But again, good for Baker Mayfield. The key for everything to this, if he decides to stick to this route, is staying healthy for all seventeen games because an injury, of course, could sabotage all of what he's banking on and risking if he decides to better himself throughout this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, four teams for Baker Mayfield. We saw injuries kind of derail the end of his tenure in Cleveland.
Speaker 3: A little bit of experience with this process.
Speaker 1: As the process continues, Baker looking for that starter type deal. There was veteran backup type money for Kirk Cousins, where is.
Speaker 3: Not going to be a backup.
Speaker 1: The Las Vegas Raiders a new head coach, Clint Kubiak. They would love to see Fernando Mendoza thrive in his rookie year, but to make it on the field. He now will have to supplant Kirk Cousins, who is the starter.
Speaker 3: According to the head coach, I.
Speaker 7: Would say his value as a player on our team is the most important thing. You know, his leadership, his veteran presence. You know, the way that he played in the spring was excellent.
Speaker 3: So that's we.
Speaker 7: Brought him here to play really good football. And obviously the mentorship that's that's a byproduct of that. That's the kind of guy that Kirk is. But Kirk knows, and Fernando knows, and Aiden knows, and Jacob knows that they're here to play great football, and you know, that's our job as coaches.
Speaker 3: He get them ready for the other stuff.
Speaker 1: In Minnesota, the quarterback picture a little more cloudy at the moment as we get to the competition between Kyler Murray and JJ McCarthy, expecting that the heat up. Head coach Kevin O'Connell on how they administrate that particular quarterback.
Speaker 8: Battle Kyler and JJ, Well, we'll take reps with the first team. They'll also take reps with the second group, and I think that gives different layers to the evaluation as well. We want, you know, we want an elevator at the quarterback position, and in many ways, doing that in this system is kind of a do your job mentality, which is, you know, running the show, throwing completions and just showing the ability to execute our offense with comfort. You know, we want to be thorough, we want to be comprehensive with this. But at the same time, I think it's important when we feel good about a decision, you know, as a group, and we're ready to ready to move forward, it'll be it'll be good to do that so we can prepare that player for the season.
Speaker 1: Prepare that player got a placeholder. There ian both guys taking first team reps. It seems like it can go either way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's fair to say. But let's take a look at the landscape of the situation.
Speaker 2: First of all, Kyler Murray was a free agent last year, and of course we know the Arizona Cardinals are paying the bulk of his salary, lost nothing, and really had his choice of teams.
Speaker 3: He chose Minnesota.
Speaker 2: They really seem to be the prime spot for any quarterback who wanted a starting job. They found each other and a place where both were extremely excited and set for it. I don't know if that puts Kyler Murray in the driver's seat here, but at least it shows there was mutual interest in making this happen and making this a very, very real quarterback competition. Kyler Murray is not an older dude. I mean know, it seems like it's been in the league for a while. Still young, still can run still as they sealing the Kevin O'Connell could take advantage of. And for JJ McCarthy, Mike, this is a make or break year. He is a first round draft pick for various reasons that not quite lived up to it left the door open for a veteran.
Speaker 3: This is pretty open.
Speaker 2: But I will say this, the talent that Kyler Murray still has well certainly seems like it'll be tough for JJ McCarthy to be here.
Speaker 4: Big challenge for Kyler Murray is going to be just spitting out the play call, just getting in the huddle, getting the terminology right.
Speaker 5: It's going to be very different for him.
Speaker 4: That's also going to be the case with Fernando Mendoza. Kirk Cousins not so much a bit familiar with the system that Clint Kubiak is implementing, he has been through other branches of it. I like to call the branches on the old Shanahan McVeigh ish, Tree and Clint Kubiak making it clear that Cousins is going to be the guy, as he said taking.
Speaker 5: The reps with the ones.
Speaker 4: Stopped a little bit short of declaring him the Week one starter, but that is where this one is heading, but said he expects both Fernando Mendoza and Aidan O'Connell to push Cousins. I mean this is consistent even before the Raiders drafted Fernando Mendoza. Kubiak was at the league meeting in March in Arizona and he said, you prefer a young guy to sit and watch first. Now it was clear he was talking about Mendoza. I'm trying to remember at the time if they even had signed Cousins. I don't know that they had, But once he came into the fold, it was like, Okay, Kirk, Cousins has not taking that job at that point in the calendar unless he feels really good, sort of like you said about Kyler Murray. Ian really good about his prospects of being the week one starter. That is going to be the case. I expect Mendos at the play early in the season, and look, he may light it up in training camp, take all the information in, spit it all out and say, hey, I got to play as soon as possible. Maybe that forces their hand earlier than expected, but right now, Cousin is going.
Speaker 5: To be the guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, Klick Whobe back in Steadfast. I think you nailed that they had not signed Cousins yet when he made that statement about having a vetting quarterback kind of teach a younger quarterback.
Speaker 3: But we heard the same thing about Russell Wilson and Jackson Dart last year.
Speaker 6: Right, We've covered this league long enough to know that almost any time you draft a rookie quarterback, even number one overall, well, we've got this veteran here who's going to take the day one snaps the first day of practice until our young guy is ready, so to speak. That doesn't go saying, but we know that's the messaging. Look at the Raiders' schedule in October, Kansas City at New England, Buffalo, the Rams. Okay, if Kirk Cousins gets through but not too well, that might be the time we see Mendoza come in. Now, let's go to something Kevin O'Connell said about the Minnesota Viking situation. They want one of these quarterbacks to be an elevator. Kevin O'Connell is wise enough to know it's not just what these guys do in the huddle and getting the play calls and out, it's how the other ten guys in the huddle respond to them. And that's why he said they're each going to take first team reps and second team reps, and if they elevate the other guys around them, those guys will tell the coaching staff through their trust and their behavior, which quarterback they prefer, and that could go well into deciding.
Speaker 3: Who's going to be the starter in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: As both Kyler Murray and Kevin O'Connell have said that they would like to get this conversation finished, so whoever is the starter will have an opportunity to prepare for this upcoming season in which the Vikings expect to contend. We'll be back with Steve Wesh coming up a little bit later on as we get to some guys who could elevate our perception of them. But we start with elevating the pocketbooks for Denzel Wark. Congratulations this week from Ian a two year, sixty two point two million dollar extension, making him the highest paid dB NFL history for the second time.
Speaker 3: In his career.
Speaker 1: So congratulations to the history maker there. And also this week from Adam Schefter as we send out congratulations to Jalen Carter. A four year deal could be worth up to one hundred and sixty million dollars. One hundred and six of that guarantee the highest paid defensive tackle in NFL history as the Eagles ian are able to lock up the centerpiece of their defense.
Speaker 3: For a while.
Speaker 2: They certainly are and look for Jalen Card. He's taking up a lot of headlines for some good reasons. He is extremely talented, extremely hard to block, and when he is on the field, he has no doubt one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL.
Speaker 3: There's also been the other stuff. There's a spinning incident.
Speaker 2: He's been dealing with his shoulder injury, which causes play a dip a little bit last year. What the Eagles are doing is betting on the potential. It is a huge deal for you years one hundred and fifty two million dollars at the max it's forty million dollars per year. And now obviously this is a bigger deal Mike towards the back end of it, but clips is Jeff Simmons record setting deal. They also paid Jordan Davis, another really good defensive Tacooons means Moro Jomo probably going to end up as a free agent there. But clearly the Eagles putting their money where the priority is, which is in the offense and in this case the defensive line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Eagles have had the depth at the defensive tackle position. Milton Williams sort of in the Jomo role a couple of years ago, wound up getting a huge bag from New England. So Maro Ojomo could be the guy that we're talking about soon getting that from another team.
Speaker 5: You're right, they paid a lot of money.
Speaker 4: Twenty six million dollars a year and thirty eight million dollars a year combined. That is sixty four million dollars a year if I just did my math correctly for their two defensive tackles in Vic Fangio scheme.
Speaker 5: That is extremely important.
Speaker 4: Now, the defensive tackle market was sort of stuck for a couple of years. Chris Jones was at thirty one and change, and then Jeffrey Simmons goes to thirty five.
Speaker 5: Now it's thirty eight.
Speaker 4: Well, if you're Vita Vea with the Buccaneers we talked about earlier in this segment, ask him for a trade because he's been frustrated with the contract.
Speaker 5: Offers from the Bucks. You're saying, I am making eighteen this year. Now, it's a good chuck of money. I'd like to make eighteen this year. I'm not. But Veya is looking at thirty eight now and.
Speaker 4: Going, wait a minute, am I getting less than half of the top of the market right now? So that's where you get his frustration. You also understand what the Bucks are trying to do. They want to get the best possible deal. They also appreciate Vitavea. I'm curious to see how they're going to handle this situation because I know that they still want two men fences here and find a solution if they possibly can.
Speaker 5: Again I talked yesterday, it's an experienced front office. They're not going to panic.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't panic at Baker Mayfield situation either, So let's see how that develops. But that gives you a little perspective for Vea, he knew this deal was coming. He knew even in the spring Jeffrey Simmons deal was coming. Wanted a big bump, and that's why he has gotten to the point that he's requested a trade, which can always be rescinded as soon as he signs a deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would imagine Veavea has a pretty easy solution to this problem for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. We will have more from our insiders as we get started on the farewell tour for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: We'll see Ian and Mike. Then maybe some of these teams would like to acquire the services of one Vita Vea.
Speaker 1: The longest NFC championship game droughts, how about that team right there at the top of the Dallas Cowboys that has been since nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 3: But they have hope, They have hope to get past that game.
Speaker 1: As we go to Oxnard where Jane Slater is standing by Jane good evening to you they got no players on the pup list. There's no really publicized contract holdouts or dispute.
Speaker 3: It seems like it's been relatively quiet.
Speaker 1: Is that because they haven't done anything or are they just really good at keeping secrets now?
Speaker 9: Well, well, well, Patrick, you know, Jerry Jones acknowledged a lack of off season drama.
Speaker 3: But and he even said.
Speaker 9: He wasn't playing on stirring things up in the next few days. But leave it to Jerry. A few moments later, he told us that he wasn't opposed the idea of making a big, significant move if it meant that it could improve the team. In fact, Patrick, he followed it up by telling us that he had been on the phone with a team and an owner as early as Monday.
Speaker 5: Listen in, I.
Speaker 10: Talked about a situation yesterday with another team and another owner yesterday. Very interesting. I'd give up future to add substive to where we are today as to a player, to give you an idea about would I invest something substantive to get the right kind of deal to improve us opening day?
Speaker 3: I would I feel that good about this thing this year? All right?
Speaker 9: That one word that he used there caught my attention, The word substantive. Now, when I think of that, that is a word that he has used and passed aggressive pursuits.
Speaker 3: One aggressive pursuit.
Speaker 9: That comes to mind was Max Crosby as you will remember back then in the off season, he made an offer to the Raiders according to multiple sources, and included at least a first round pick and a player might that be in play here? He was a player they thought highly of. I circled back on this with Jerry.
Speaker 11: Why did you walk away from Max Crosby when it fell apart with the Ravens and not revisit that?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 3: We didn't.
Speaker 10: No, no, because there's nothing more to elaborate about, but we did not walk away.
Speaker 11: What a player of that caliber be someone that you would be willing to engage with another team in two weeks, So that we're we're not all speculating.
Speaker 10: Again, Let's don't let's don't hypothetical here and be you specifically a player in a hypothetical situation that is temper It really is, and so we don't want to talk like that and act like that. But that is a good example of what you can stand ready. If in fact you think the rest of your team is coming along, well, then those things stay alive.
Speaker 9: Now, to be clear, I wasn't trying to have an I gotcha moment, and Jerry and Stephen made it very very clear that Max Crosby is a Raider. He wants to be a Raider, and talking about a player, even if it's in a hypothetical situation, is in fact tampering and they are not going to go there at all. With that being said, Max Crosby has the type of resume that would be quite intriguing. It would be the caliber of player that they would be interested in. Now. I also want to point out that a lot of things have to happen, right. He says that the reason why he's even entertaining these thoughts is because he likes what he saw from the offense last year, and if the defense continues to trend and he likes what he's getting from the offensive line, he doesn't want to wait until mid season. He would be happy training around something away in the future in order for this year to get off to a great start. As for Max Crosby, I did think it was interesting that Clint Kubiak, his coach with the Raiders, pointed out this week that quote, he's ready to go, He's ready to practice, and he'll get first team reps tomorrow, so his health is good to go. Now again, whether this is a player they're poking around on guys.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but.
Speaker 9: He's at least telling us that it might be quiet, but behind the scenes, Jerry's still cooking in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: They didn't walk away.
Speaker 1: And also a hypothetical player who may or may not be another player that is very good. The Cowboys would like to have Slater with the latest on the Dallas Cowboys after relatively quiet all season in Oxnar Thank you Jane. Fantasy Draft rules to live by, not draft by Live by. That's coming up with Adam Rank on this edition of The Insiders, and this next camp for Aaron Rodgers, the last camp for Aaron Rodgers, the quarterback on his farewell tour.
Speaker 3: Coming out next on The Insider. Back here on the Insider Sounds, What's new today?
Speaker 1: Coming into the nfl LA newsroom, forty nine Ers head coach Kyle Shanahan detailing and clarifying some information related to his car crash that happened earlier this month, speaking to a small group of reporters, saying he was going twenty miles an hour, dropped his phone and was stuck in his seats, slid off, looked up. Eventually his airbags were hitting him in the face, said the accident was his fault, not the fault of the twenty one year old woman who was driving the other vehicle.
Speaker 3: The Steelers reporting to training camp in La Trobe.
Speaker 1: Aaron Rodgers highlighting this week brought him back as well as how he realized this might be it for his playing career.
Speaker 3: I thought last year.
Speaker 12: Might be it, and then Mike got hired, and I talked to the wife and she said, you can do one more year, so well see if it works out. And then it kind of all came together. We got thirteen years together, got a long, long track record of success and playoff run, super Bowl championship, and then just the full circle seeing each other. Now we're out in life. I think I'm the same age that he was when he got hired in Green Bay. So that's nice full circle moment for both of us.
Speaker 1: And so it gets his old coach back, Mike, and the farewell tour begins.
Speaker 4: Britney Rogers coming through here and being the influence that we didn't even know. It's Brittany with an eye by the way, it's how it's spelled. That is his wife that behind the scenes made the push to Aaron Rodgers for him to come back for one more season.
Speaker 5: No wiggle room on this one.
Speaker 4: He making it clear that he has made his decision, and I do I'm trying to remember last year because you know, Mike Tomlin was a big push and I'm pretty sure that there was a little bit of wiggle room. So now for him to be so firm in saying that this is it now, now this feels like a lot of loops being closed. Mike McCarthy, the reunion with him one more season here with the Pittsburgh Steelers as well, also reuniting with his family off the field, recently making that clear via his Instagram post. So this does feel like a lot of the things that needed to be tied up in Aaron Rodgers' life and in his football career coming to a close, and obviously he'd like to do that while holding a Lombardi trophy.
Speaker 5: Steeler's gonna have some work out ahead of him to do that. Ian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does really feel like in this back half of Aaron Rodgers' career there has been obviously some unfinished business that he like to handle. You mentioned the family off the fields, certainly heartwarming to see that now says he is married as a wife who has weighed in on football decisions. C only seems to be in a very good place in life. Had the sort of divorce for lack of a better word, with the Green Bay Packers, and with Mike McCarthy now reunited here with the Pittsburgh Sewers. We've seen some story book endings in the NFL, But for Aaron Rodgers and the Pittsburgh Shewers, what they hope is that they are starting to write one. They have a team that is plenty talented enough. They have a coach at Mike McCarthy who, in weirdly underrated fashion, has always always always.
Speaker 3: Had an excellent office. Now offense.
Speaker 2: Now, if Aaron Rodgers can play a little bit like the Aaron Rodgers that we have seen at the end of last year, this can be a very very good Steelers team.
Speaker 3: We'll see, Patrick, If Rodgers gets the ending he wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there will be no more deals for Aaron Rodgers to worry about. They know, more decisions. One more run last time.
Speaker 4: By the way, Patrick, Patrick, we're all right here right, Like he's at the point now where he's referring her to.
Speaker 5: The wife, like you know, the old ball and like that seems a little early for me.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's fair. It's fair. Twenty two, twenty two years, a lot of lots change for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to him on concluding Uh that, Sorry, it's a different story elsewhere where. Patriots owner Robert Craft on Saturday said there was an offer out to Christian Gonzales.
Speaker 3: That would allegedly make him the highest paid corner ever.
Speaker 1: Christian Gonzalez says he's gonna have those discussions actually in private.
Speaker 13: Everybody knows what mister Craft has done. A ton of respect for mister Craft and what he's done with this franchise, and you know, it's just just something we don't want to we don't want to handle in the in to the media. You know, I keep that with the team and my team and go on about that. I mean, it's baw. I'm I'm gonna come out and play some ball and and and you have fun.
Speaker 5: You know, it's we.
Speaker 13: Had a we had a tough ending of the year. You know, that sits on everybody's mind all year, and uh just wanted to get on the field and do what I do.
Speaker 1: So and we have the player in this instance deciding to keep it the Patriot Way and the owner who was the owner during the heyday of the Patriot Way deciding to, you know, just say some things about the contract. We didn't necessarily give us years and guarantees, but he said some things.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, one of the big parts of this Christian Zales is an excellent player who deserves all the money, right, Like, I don't believe that is indus feed the Patriots making an offer to make him the highest paid corner in the NFL, which, as we learned earlier in this show, has now the ball has been raised a little bit because Denzel Ward eclipse that, but this is a clear view from the Patriots that this is the guy who deserves it and should get paid. This also is interesting because he has the same agent as Devin Witherspiel with the Seahawks. Show only feels like that contract extension is further along than that of Christian Zales. And to me, this seems, just my read on the situation very far off, Like it does not seem like there's any work movement towards is steal actually getting done. You'll hope it would for all sides, It's still early. That being said, he's still going to go out there this year be an excellent, excellent player, which only raises his price tag.
Speaker 3: He doesn't get a deal buck.
Speaker 4: Devin Witherspoon and Christian zeal Is both represented by the same agency, both players. Like what you try to do, you'd love to do if you're an agent, is sign one and then have the other ones, just like Denzel Ward with that point too.
Speaker 5: That got him over that.
Speaker 4: Then you can be like, we had the highest paid corner in the NFL twice. But if you're the player, you don't want that to be short lived and you don't want to be the first guy only to get leapfrogged by the second guy. So there's a lot of dynamics at play, and that's why Mike Rabel came out day one and said, we're negotiating with Christian Ugonzalez. We're not negotiating with the Seahawks and Devin Witherspoon. This is all we're trying to do. I understand your point, Patrick about asking Robert Kraft a follow up question, like you know, the the guarantees, the strip, like I just don't know.
Speaker 5: That he would have been ready to like you know, the three year.
Speaker 4: Cash flow like, you know, I don't know, are their offsets on the guarantees in year four? I don't know, But you know he got the cliff notes version that we made him a huge offer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's that's ultimately what I would like to have fully fledged contract discussions in the media because it behooves us in our Yeah, so we are doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how That's how we would like to offer it.
Speaker 1: The Miami Dolphins veterans reporting the training camp in Miami Gardens. It was in Green Bay where Jeff Haffley and Malik Willis kind of got this opportunity and they look ahead to the opportunity for both of them in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: I think the key for Malik will be.
Speaker 14: It is his confidence and it is his chemistry with those white outs, and we need to figure out exactly who those white outs are.
Speaker 3: And what the chemistry is going to look like.
Speaker 14: But it's I want to see his confidence and I want him to focus in on that and that me take care of the rest.
Speaker 5: But I'm excited for him. He was He worked hard this summer.
Speaker 14: He was in Jacksonville a bunch of training, He had a bunch of the receivers, running routes, running the plays with him holding workouts out there, which was really cool to see him kind of lead that charge.
Speaker 5: So we'll see.
Speaker 3: We all played football at a high level. We wouldn't be in an NFL.
Speaker 13: Every team has good players, it's just putting them in position to be successful.
Speaker 5: And all the guys that have big names at one point didn't have a big name.
Speaker 3: And I think that's how it goes. You just got to prove it.
Speaker 5: And that's where we're at right now.
Speaker 3: And a sign for the Wolf of ball Street as Cam Wolf joins us here on this edition of The Insiders taking us through some camps, and I hear Cam that there's a word that they're avoiding there in Miami gardens.
Speaker 5: Patrick, don't say rebuild in Miami.
Speaker 15: Nothing more important to figure out who are the offensive core players that can build around for the future. And let's start with Malik Willis because he is the guy that starts this engine. You see the throwing right here. He had a Jacksonville camp this earlier this all season this summer where he had seven or eight guys come from a three week camp. I learned about this his quarterback coach Sean McVoy Quarterback Takeover ran twelve throwing sessions. Guys came in and out, guys like Malik Washington Greg dolsicg Jaylen Tobert Terrace Marshall. Some guys did a week, some guys did two weeks. The goal was really to get the chemistry getting in and out of breaks, knowing each other, so when you get into training camp you can be ready to eat. I've talked to a lot of people this all season who have wondered, does Malik Willis have a real chance to show who he we is?
Speaker 3: He scoffed at that idea. He said, this is about.
Speaker 15: My opportunity, our opportunity, and how why can't guys step up. I'm looking at Malik Washington in this training camp, can hit him and Malik Willis create that chemistry to be guys we can remember at.
Speaker 3: The end of this season.
Speaker 15: And let's go to the Carolina Panthers, who I got to see last week in training camp, and there's two players that stood out to me that I was buzzing on. Let's start with running back Jonathan Brooks. He hasn't played much in his first two years, but most people on that staff tell me he is the X factor for our season. One coach told me, he just has another gear that can take our offense to the next level.
Speaker 3: I saw it in practice. He made a juke move and made me say wow.
Speaker 15: Today I'm told he made a cut so deep and made Lloyd, one of their top free agents missed and went upfield.
Speaker 5: Now, the big thing for Brooks is health.
Speaker 15: He has not been healthy, but if he can stay healthy, they believe he is not only going to form a one to two punch with Chewbabber, but he's eventually going to be the lead backfield. And Devin Lloyd on the other side is that green dot in the middle. I talked to you our defensive coordinator at Giro Evro. He said, I haven't had a linebacker that does on all three levels what Lloyd does. Since Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis yes huge names, they think that these two guys can help this Panthers team be next level when they come into the season. And finally let's go to the New England Patriots. A lot of talk about AJ Brown and Drake May. For my talks with people there, it's been a slow start for these two chemistry wise, just four days, so don't overreact, but it's a sign that talent doesn't always equal immediate chemistry. The Patriots staff know Aj Brown well, but Drake May doesn't, so these next few weeks are going to be really important to see what AJ likes, what Drake mag likes. AJ talked about trying to get a chemistry with Drake, learning what makes him go.
Speaker 3: He also talked about Mike Rabel chewing him out on a play that he thought AJ should have made.
Speaker 15: These are things that are going to help them grow and a sign that it could be rocky in the beginning, but the hope is that Aj is eventually that guy for Drake May. We're gonna watch this throughout camp. I'm also watching the back end of the New England Patriots receiver room. With these additions, they have a crowded jumbo receiver room, and so there could be some guys on that back end of the roster that are trade candidates at the end of training camp that could be a playmaker for another team.
Speaker 3: As the training camp goes on.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, and you saw it at the start of Panthers camp, that need could arise for some other teams.
Speaker 3: The way the injuries operate the Wolf of Ball Street Cam. Wolf here with us on The Insider's Folks.
Speaker 1: Football Weekend kicks off August first, with live covers from NFL training camps all over the league. Tune in Saturday starting at nine am Eastern on ESPN and NFL Network, and coverage continues throughout the weekend on NFL Network. Back here with Mark rosson Steve Wish. Marks has something special for us, Steve, because you know, as media's folks with microphones were constantly scanning for stars, Marcus found these stars that are under the radar for twenty five nights.
Speaker 3: I can't wait. Mark's always got something to back for us.
Speaker 1: So who are you picking up on your highly attuned scanners right now?
Speaker 16: Mark, I'm gonna drop three guys on you. And the first guy is wide receiver Parker Washington from the Jacksonville Jaguars. Patrick, you know we did when we did Game Day Live all year we go to the Jags games. This guy is just making plays. And that was in Spurts week one to fifteen. He only averaged thirty eight point five yards per per game, but then the last three weeks he averaged one hundred almost one hundred and sixteen yards per game. All the big plays there seem to go his way. Let's check this out. The first player since the Shawan Jackson in two thousand and nine to have seven hundred and fifty receiving yards and multiple punt return touchdowns in the same season. So I expect him to become even more integral of a part of that offense this season. Then I will go to my next gye on defense here, that's Edgering Cooper, the linebacker from Green Bay. When he came out, he was my favorite defensive player in the draft.
Speaker 3: First year, showed huge flashes. He had three and a half sacks.
Speaker 16: Last year, his first as a FO full time starter, had one hundred and eighteen tackles, second on the team. And really this season he kind of was out of position last.
Speaker 3: Year where he had to play a bit of linebacker.
Speaker 16: They signs I here Franklin and played the middle kway Walker is gone, which will allow Cooper to really roam free, which was what he does best, and after his first two years his stats really favored. We mentioned Patrick Willis earlier, very favable. With Patrick Willis, my last guy is Jamison Williams, the wide receiver from Greed Detroit.
Speaker 3: Kind of overshadowed at an.
Speaker 16: Offense there by Aman Ross, Saint Brown and Jamier Gibbs, but this guy has been ultra productive, first in the NFL since he's been in the league with seventeen point two yards per catch, first in a league time with Jamar Chase with ten catches over thirty plus yards, and has had back to back one thousand.
Speaker 3: Yard receivers with seven touchdowns.
Speaker 16: So Steve, all three of these guys will even have more of a breakout seasons to come with more people will know who these guys are.
Speaker 3: I love that trio.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm a big Parker Washington guy, edgiend Cooper also a real good coverage linebacker.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 6: One of your favorite players I hear you talk about you didn't have on the list, and that is running back Kenneth Gainwell, who is Pittsburgh's best player last year who now is in Tampa Bay. We were talking about Baker Mayfield earlier. When you've got a running back who caught seventy three balls last year, he's the ultimate dump off an outlet player, but also is a much tougher runner and moves the sticks and makes plays like people.
Speaker 3: Don't give him credit for us.
Speaker 6: You talk about a player under the radar now in Tampa Bay, this is one of those guys.
Speaker 3: At the end of the season we can be talking about.
Speaker 6: Is the swing boat is the difference maker to getting a team to the playoffs.
Speaker 3: He's one of your favorite guys. Man, that was good with Steve. That's why you're the better. That's where your Hall of Famer.
Speaker 16: You know, you scooped me on matt One, took my own guy from me.
Speaker 3: But that's why you do what you do. You can't get them all, bro, Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: You got multiple layers of scanners here getting all the top options. There're seventy three catches for guys who only started two games. Folks, when we come back, all kinds of rules in our world, but some of them actually help you out of Red's five rules for fantasy drafts coming up next, So we are continuing our twenty twenty sixth Fantasy football primer in your Drafts on the Way, Adam Rink is on our show with five absolute rules people need to follow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks so much. Patrick, I'm back.
Speaker 17: Not a moment too soon, because the fantasy football season is upon us said, that's right. I'll do the top five you need to know heading into your fantasy football season.
Speaker 3: We start at number five.
Speaker 17: We're the most basic rule ever, and that is to know your league scoring settings. Do you start three receivers multiple flex? Do you have a crooked commissioner that pushed through a tight end scoring premium option that nobody thought that he thought that nobody would.
Speaker 3: Notice things really personal?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 17: It is because sometimes you will get a commissioner who's trying to push across the waiver wire amendment, maybe mixing in some new fun scoring options.
Speaker 3: But don't fall for it.
Speaker 17: You know what when in actuality, that commissioner is doing nothing more than to disenfranchise a lot of league owners by stripping away your voting rights. I should need a passport to vote on rules changes. This isn't Olive Garden, of course, But number four, you don't need a shop for brand names. There's going to become a time in your draft when you're looking at some familiar names like Tyreek Hill, Stefan Diggs, Brandon Ayu, guys who are not playing.
Speaker 3: So don't do this.
Speaker 17: It's a lot like when you're flying into New Orleans and you head to the nearest Chipotle instead of going somewhere else, which actually happened. I'm not naming any names. They might know who they are, they might be related to somebody who works here. But listen, I get the allure. However, you want to try something cool. The kids are in the back. Listen, the kids are in the back and playing. They want to go to McDonald's or doing whatever. And you got veterans out there, and listen, here's the thing. Go look for something new and something exciting.
Speaker 3: Look for some of the rookies.
Speaker 17: Last year, I took Harold Fanning junior in the Scott fish Ball Fantasy Draft and it worked out pretty sweet for me.
Speaker 3: And that's something else you need to keep an eye on this.
Speaker 17: Number three, Familiarize yourself with coaching changes. Yes, Clint Kubiak is no longer the Seahawks coach, he's the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders. Does this mean JSN takes a step back? Is Trey Tucker a breakout guy? And what about Mike McDaniel coaching with the Chargers? The Kaki King working with the Jogger Jester. This is a collaboration that you want to be a part of Quinton Johnson could be reaching his full potential. Well, Amari and Hampton is this year's version of Devon Ahn. I'm not saying that it's an absolute lock, but these are the kind of things that you need to be on the lookout for, which leads me to the next point. Draft this year's team not a reboot of.
Speaker 3: Last year's team.
Speaker 17: Too often people try to recreate the pass and instead of looking forward, which is why we come up with shows like The Mentalists, which was clearly a ripoff of psych or.
Speaker 3: Like Friends and Living Single.
Speaker 17: Exactly good point, Patrick, Yes, indeed, so instead of recycling last year's draft sheet, look forward and project who is going to take a giant step forward? Pick and here's number one, number one pick who you want? Don't let anybody talk you out of what you want to do. I told you last year draft JSN. And yet there were people online who tried to bully me out of that pick because you know, they didn't think They thought it was an idiot, thought it was stupid, And I'm like, why am I letting the ALTI will rise again? Eight six eighty six on Twitter? Talk me out of anything? He's got thirty seven followers. Why should his opinion matter? And I will say this too, You don't need to necessarily listen to what I say either. I spent a lot of time studying this, trying to come up with the most reasonable outcomes, but even sometimes I get it wrong, like twenty twenty four cole fits.
Speaker 3: All right, listen, the names are not important. Patrick, that's that's a little too close to home. But listen this year. If you think that Luther burd and the Third is.
Speaker 17: Going to break out, follow your gut. Don't listen to the other dorks who don't know anything else. Go out there, do the work, put in, put in your time, and you've got to go out there and make picks that you're comfortable with and for more.
Speaker 3: Insights like this. I can't let you do that now.
Speaker 17: I was going to say, tune in the NFL Fantasy Live this se Unousu.
Speaker 3: You were going to pict your podcasts. Oh no, but I will say this about my podcast. We will have draft doctor Oh right, No, we can't do that, doctor Phil. Draft doctor Phil, Not that doctor Phil. Oh Okay, this guy's actually cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was getting worried. No, no, no, no, not him.
Speaker 1: Es be a fan Football, the official fantasy game of the NFL and Knew this season knockout leagues. Each week, the lowest scoring team is eliminated until only one is left standing. Download the ESPN Fantasy Out for free today and sign up to play the number one fantasy game.
Speaker 5: Time out for leaving a mark.
Speaker 4: As Mark Ross joins me, Mike Carofalo and Ian Rapaport for some hot takes, he is going to leave his mark with what he's about to lay on you here with these hot things.
Speaker 16: Go Mark, Let's leave these marks. First of all, we talk about worse the first, well, let's go first to worse, and that's going to be the Chicago Bears in that NFC Central and what they did last year was unbelievable because they led the league in thirty three takeaways and at first interceptions with twenty three, and they were nine to oh when multiple when they created multiple takeaways, but only two and six when they had one or fewer, and all other defensive categories they pretty much bottom five, sometimes bottom three in the league.
Speaker 3: So those was are really the key.
Speaker 16: The big problem is the three players that created twenty of those turnovers, nay Sean Wright, Kevin Byern and Tremaine Edmonds are all gone, so that to me is not really sustainable for next season less Caleb Williams takes a huge leap.
Speaker 3: What is sustainable is on the flip.
Speaker 16: Side, the Houston Texans, who had arguably the best defense in the league last year, first in total defense, second end points per game.
Speaker 3: It's going to take them to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 16: We're going to see one of those classic years where they just absolutely dominate. Last season, they were great during most of the game and then they were even better in the fourth quarter where they just absolutely shut teams down. They had seventy three drives fellows where they didn't even allow a first down. And of course they've got the Daniel Hunter will Anderson combination, the best pass rushing do in the league, and they got the best corner and I love the addition of Kate McDonald, the rookie from Ohio State, who will make them even better and more nasty.
Speaker 4: Texans defensive coordinator Matt Burke got my number one vote for Coach of the Year last year with shock he.
Speaker 5: Wasn't even named the finalists.
Speaker 4: Maybe that changes this year if this defense does show out the way that Mark said that as for the Bears. We showed some what we call the business b roll of Ben Johnson. He was like staring right through you, Mark. I think he actually heard what you were saying there. And Ben Johnson is trying to guard against that second year Lotdow.
Speaker 5: Let's see what can happen there.
Speaker 2: Ian, I hear you, Mark, he does feel like the Caleb Williams is going to be one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Leap is coming. Just hardest schedule. I get it reading the televs.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, nothing wrong with the Houston Texans defense. Maybe my favorite defense to watch over the last ten years. I am on that hot take, you know what. I'm also all in on football.
Speaker 3: It is that time of year. Football is back back.
Speaker 2: The Other Weekend kicks off August first live coverage from NFL training games across the league. Tune in Saturday starting at nine am on ESPN and NFL Network, and continues throughout the week on NFL Network.
Speaker 3: Where will I be? I have no idea you should watch.
Speaker 1: Back here on the Insiders. Arriving today the veteran young star quarterback Jayden Daniels for the Washington Commander's Camp, rocking the Simpsons shirt. And the reason I can tell you now that we've had Ian rapperborre joining us from one of the esteemed airport lounges around this great nation of ours is Ian was there reporting on the Commanders earlier today.
Speaker 3: What can you tell us from your work today?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: First what Dano was referred to the Simpsons as a classic. I told him how my son Jude is also a fan. He liked that very much. One of the names we've associated with the Commanders over the last several months, Brandon A. You certainly seems like those that includes some of the commanders building are much more concerned with his well making sure he is okay than signing him. That seems to be a long shot right now. Plenty of other on Dick a lot of sense keenan All. I'm also available Brandon ayukil Man just as like football.
Speaker 3: Right now is where he's head latest from.
Speaker 4: Peter's general manager was asked about that today and said creatively by JP Finley, our buddy down there, who said, do you take in the social media cases? Not usually, and then he smiled he said usually so in this case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you guys for taking in our show today.
Speaker 1: We'll be back tomorrow with another edition of The Insliders Jane Slader live.
Speaker 3: From Ox and Artle'll see you there. Not everybod