Speaker 1: Podcast starts now, just kidding, This is George with a very quick reminder that you can see me in Somerville, Massachusetts this Thursday at the Rockwell Theater at seven pm and nine pm, and in New York City next Monday, March twenty fourth at Joe's Pub. And lastly, I am finally taping my special on April first at the Slipper Room in Manhattan, and tickets are now as of today out. It will be a very intimate show. It's a small space and the audience will only be eighty people, so please bring your friends with the loudest and most infectious laughs because it will make a huge difference and I can't wait to see you. Tickets to all of these shows are in the link in my Instagram bio, or you can go direct to linktree dot com slash George Severes. That is link Tree t r e dot com slash George Savers.
Speaker 2: Enjoy the episode so pretty much. Podcast starts now, What is up everyone around the globe? You're listening to Stradia Lab.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm feeling loose.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm feeling loose.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling blanky goosey.
Speaker 2: I'm simply a canvas for ideas to be painted upon.
Speaker 1: If I like turn my head one way versus another, entire mini series on television could be created. I am in such a place of sponge like absorption of the world around me, and I'm ready to create.
Speaker 2: Have you ever done the Artist's way? You know?
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. I have started it twice. I don't think I have gotten past like week three both times.
Speaker 2: Well that's all you need. But I've been hearing about it secondhand, and it's I think it's funny to be like, just be open for God to come through you. And I'm like, oh my god, I'm literally so open all the time. That's crazy. I'm literally such a vessel for Christ. That's awesome. You know.
Speaker 1: I recently, in a very vulnerable turn, shared my forgotten audiobook library. I don't know if you saw this, I did, I did, I would say pretty alarming. I don't know how much you how much you sort of like took it in.
Speaker 2: It was all self help stuff.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of self help that I listened to one chapter of because I I just and the thing is I just am not. I know I'm not a self help person. I know I can't do it. However, you know, once a year, someone will someone I trust will be like, yeah, I know I'm not either. I'm also like punk rock and uh, you know, fuck the system, but this one really helped me. And then I'll be like all right, like if you say so, maybe you're right, and then I will I will have an allergic reaction to it. I can't do it. And I actually think that's my issue with artists way too, because I'm also like, why like when they're like, do morning pages and just write a stream of consciousness without taking your pen off the paper, and like, no, what if I write while thinking? And I actually like organize my ideas?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then you're being critical and you're like they're trying to like make you more open and not be critical of your ideas.
Speaker 1: And you find that that has worked for you.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I actually love being non critical of writing at first, because it just, like you know I've been talking about it, is like you developed like a scab and you're sort of like, Okay, well now I'm scabbed so hard over that I can't come up with anything. But if you're just if you're if you break that scab off by just writing whatever. Then you're like, oh, I guess you just write whatever because if you're putting oh, I think I'm frozen. And that's okay, Okay, we're back. We're back, thank god. So basically I was talking about scabs and about how we all have them.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, you know, for everyone listening, we did all just freeze. And also, it is four forty five pm on a Friday my time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I will say it's one forty four on a Friday my time.
Speaker 1: Which is maybe worse. I'll say, no, mine's worse. Sorry to center myself.
Speaker 2: Why is it worse?
Speaker 1: Do you feel because you're still in the middle of your work day, like you can you can you know, yes, the day is winding down, but like if you're working in an office right now, you could potentially be going to a meeting.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, you're right. It's just when you said that, I got scared. I was like I felt like an injustice where I was like, there's someone in a meeting right now, yeah, and like that's I actually want to like free them, Like I want to like run into the office with a gun, yeah and say let them out, don't you think though?
Speaker 1: Okay, here's my take on meetings in when I've been in an office environment. What's great about meetings is that you actually have an excuse to kind of zone out and do nothing, Whereas if you're at your desk, it's more stressful because you feel they need to appear like you're working. You can just listen attentively if you're in a meeting. When I am in an obfice environment and suddenly I have like what's called in the business back to back meetings. Let's say it's like lunchhim and you're like, oh God, Like I can't believe I'm back to back meetings from two to six pm. To me, that's heaven. I'm basically sleepwalking through the entire afternoon.
Speaker 2: But this is something that speaks to you as a performer, Like there's something about the performance of a meeting that speaks to you more than the like it is at your desk. The only person you're performing for is yourself. Like it's like send that email and you're like, fuck, I have to send that email and you're like just sort of overthinking it, and you're like I don't want to. I don't want to. I don't want to. But as soon as like someone else's eyes are on you. You're like watch this, I can like tap dance around you guys, and in this meeting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an email, First of all, it's never gonna an email as a form is never gonna be transcendent. Like it's very rare that I've written a trend and send an email, but it's actually very common that I've said something absolutely legendary in a meeting. You know, I just have to sort of get in the zone. So email it's not going to be transcendent, and you're not going to get positive feedback meeting. Honestly, most people are not that bright. All you have to do is speak up and say something semi coherent. Immediately you're going to get praised from two people in that room.
Speaker 2: I mean, talk about vessel for Christ, talk about artists. Way when you're in a boardroom and you're speaking like God is speaking through you, Yeah, there is a divine energy in you in a boardroom speaking.
Speaker 1: And it's also like I, oh, actually I almost do want to talk about this. I bombed so hard last night at a show and it made me remember something I you know, you sort of forget we're so used to being in front of people speaking in front of people. That then it's like a piece of cake. If you're in a boardroom and you have people like aggressively nodding in a kind of performative way. Yeah, we've been like training for it our whole lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can I ask this bomb? Did it emotionally hurt? You know?
Speaker 1: It was one of those New York nights where I was running late, so I took an uber, which, you know, bad decision. It was snowing and there was traffic. I show up to the show forty minutes late.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I mean I knew I was going to be last on the lineup, so I wasn't you know, I knew I wasn't like inconveniencing anyone, But I was originally going to show up on time. And I showed up forty minutes late after paying thirty dollars for aneuver get to the show, immediately have to go up Bomb, leave the show. I get stuck on a jay train for twenty minutes with no cell service. It's just it's kind of like, you know, you're you're heading home and your clothes are ripped, you're bleeding, your phone is dead. One shoe is gone. You're basically crawling on the floor, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't also sort of romantic in this way, because I am, you know, kind of Carrie Bradshaw locked out of her apartment, you know, Broad City, the gals sort of like with you know, one boob out of the bra like trying to get to the Lil Wayne concert. So you know, you win some, you lose some. But it definitely did not feel good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that hurts.
Speaker 1: And I hadn't bombed it, well, I guess I hadn't. Yeah, I guess I hadn't bombed in a while. It is the truth of it, I'll be.
Speaker 2: Honest, not the brag. Do you think was it just flusteredness or was it.
Speaker 1: Like that's what hurt is that it was my fault. It was I somehow went up and did not have the right energy to begin with. Said one thing. The audience immediately did not care about me. I was unable to leave the sort of vocal monotone I was like, and then I was aware of that, so I was trying to make myself sound animated, so it was like I was forcing a smile and they could also sense the inauthenticity in that, and then I actually like, like, forgot my material.
Speaker 2: Now that's classic.
Speaker 3: That's kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know sometimes you actually, if you're in a good enough place, you can forget something and then roll with the punches and almost transcend and like improv on the spot. This was one of those things where would like say half a sentence and then remember that I forgot something, and then just go back and repeat it without like addressing it, and then they wouldn't laugh, and I'd be like, why I said it? I said it the right way. What the fuck do you want?
Speaker 2: That's tough? Yeah, damn, I'm like bombed central these days, are you well? I've I did one show last week and bombed, and it was weird because there were coworkers there, and then everyone has to be like good job, and I have to be like thank you, because it's even worse to be like, I bombed.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you something? I did that? And that was the final straw where I was like, oh, I am fully like this is the biggest flop night of my life because I ran into people and you and I immediately did a whole self flag, like oh god, that was rough, like am I right? Blah blah blah, and they were all like, no, you were good, and it's like, what am I doing here?
Speaker 2: Just let me just say I bombed? It's okay.
Speaker 1: Of course they can't say that. You're like, it's like you're putting them in a weird spot. Of course you did the right thing and I did the wrong thing. Like you can never start talking to someone about bombing.
Speaker 2: You literally have to go thanks, thank you. Yeah, and guess what, no one cares, No one, No one cares for even a second. Yeah, that's like the biggest lesson. That's the biggest takeaway. That should put that in the artist way. No one cares, No one cares.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but if that if Julia Cameron ever tried stand up comedy, she'd be in tears in a second. I don't think any of those methods that she's so famous for would help her.
Speaker 2: Well, that's because stand up comedy is not an art.
Speaker 1: Maybe if she was a painter or a screenwriter.
Speaker 2: The cowardly art forms should we bring in. Our guests are esteemed guest who actually has never bombed in yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Never bomb Please please welcome Richard Pez for the second time.
Speaker 2: But who's counting?
Speaker 1: Returning Champ?
Speaker 2: Returning Champ? Mama, Hi, Oh my god, Hi, how are you speaking of bombing? Hi?
Speaker 3: Hi? Hi? Now sometimes it feels like I'll get on stage, I'll be like hi, and I'm just like covered in sid I like sweep myself off the stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's like the ringing in your ear, like your vision has that like blur effect on it. I hate that.
Speaker 1: I wish I was the type of performer like, here's my dream. All right, this is when you act. I'm on a lineup, I have seven minutes to perform. The entire bit is that I have a series of false starts. So I like say Hi, Then I like slip and fall. Then I get up and I'm like sorry about that. Then I like get the mic, but it falls on my hand. Then I spent like, you know, two minutes trying to put it back together, and I'm like hi, and then my phone rings. I'm like, I'm sorry, I have to take this, but I do that, you know, Andy Kaufman style for ten full minutes.
Speaker 2: I mean that would be I've certainly tried. You've done that. I've done that before, I've done who sets where I haven't done a joke, yeah, which are my favorite sets. But then it's kind of tough because the whole point is to like have jokes.
Speaker 3: So is it?
Speaker 2: Is it? Thank you? That's actually a good point? Is it?
Speaker 1: What even is the point?
Speaker 2: What even is the point?
Speaker 3: What even is the point? Guys, let's start there. What even is what is the point?
Speaker 2: Rich? Rich?
Speaker 1: First question we have for you is what even is the point?
Speaker 3: Okay, Like I think that, Well, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for being here.
Speaker 1: Stop stalling.
Speaker 3: Well it says that I'm trying to, like because thinking about what you guys were talking about with like artists way and the thoughts that kind of stop you when you're in the writing process to like persist and to continue. I feel that way about just speaking in general. So in a board meeting or whatever meeting, I don't say anything, and I'm trying to get better about that. Even if I do perform on stage and I don't say anything for like ten minutes, I'm like at a meeting where it's like, well, everyone of you, like, you know, just tell me your opinion on this or whatever, Like, yeah, I get in a way.
Speaker 1: Would you rather send any send an email or speak up in a board meeting.
Speaker 3: I think I don't even know both feel like I'm like, I didn't get you need to be.
Speaker 1: Honest, one to say, in order for you to communicate, you have to be on a stage in front of an audience. Otherwise it's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it's sold out, sold out.
Speaker 2: No, that's so true, Like I won't I can't get my point across. The show isn't sold out.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that really really is tough when the show's not sold out.
Speaker 3: But yet no, like it's just like I don't know, Like I just have a heart. Like I remember back back at UNI, when I was in art school, we would have crit uh huh, and I loved it, you know, love to hear about people's process and what they're working on, you know, unpacking some of those things together was fun for me. But I felt like I would have a thought and then of course someone else would say it and I was like, oh, I thought the same exact thing. And then someone the teachers like that's so true, what a great thought you had, And I'm like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can I say something about that stuff? Yeah, I wouldn't be able to deal with it. This idea like, if I ever like doing an MFA and having everyone go around and say their opinions, I'm like, I respect maybe one of you, and I have to listen to what you think about my work.
Speaker 3: I mean, but maybe, like sometimes I get that, but I'm like, maybe sometimes they would like at least like asking sure where I'm like, oh, I didn't even think of that.
Speaker 2: I am sometimes I can just stress myself out by imagining that there's a drag race, but for like gay comedians and like, and I can I can imagine the fans like hating me and loving someone else and being like middle of the road, and I can get upset at like something that doesn't even exist. I think anytime you're in comparison with people who are your peers, I'm trying to get upset.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and guess what there is that it's called literally all of all of all of the audiences at the Millhouse.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: They're leaving and they're saying, this wasn't as good as when we went to Gay Guys version two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have those little note cards they give out that are like, rank this performance based on the last six performances you've seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and everyone honestly, everyone you challenge and then RuPaul's comes out, but it's David Cross.
Speaker 3: I feel that way sometimes with some certain shows, like a homework show or something like I recently did like a Housewives like show, and I don't watch that show. I don't know that universe at all, but I agreed to it, and I was just like, oh, yeah, like this should be I'm gay, but it's it's like a table read. I'm like, okay, yeah, like easy, like, oh, I'll site read, but then like I once I get there, I forget that, like everyone's the huge Like people that come to the show are like fans of the of Housewives, and they there's an expectation or something and the character that I or the person that I was like reading as like as iconic lines and or whatever. Like there's these really funny moments that I was just sight reading and I was like, in real yeah, but you were figuring out like what.
Speaker 1: But I think that's better because it's like the difference between in a biopicch someone doing an impression and someone like embodying a character, Like it's like in.
Speaker 2: A lip sync when someone does the actual Corey over since someone makes up their own sy.
Speaker 3: Exactly could have done that, but I didn't. My fear got in the way, my own my critical my critical voice got in the way, and I failed that week.
Speaker 1: Oh so you were kind of like reading it in a straightforward way, as though you would be doing like a reading at a funeral.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was like, I wasn't filming, you, guys, I wasn't filming.
Speaker 1: And would you say it reached a point of anti comedy maybe where it was like really funny that you were speaking in a monotone or no, yeah, did it loop back around?
Speaker 3: No, it was anti comedy that like, no.
Speaker 1: One, yeah, I mean that's.
Speaker 3: That's no one was laughing when I was speaking, damn, And that's really fine. It's fine. And then I got off stage. I was like, I suck, and everybody's like, I know, you were good, you were good. No, I I know.
Speaker 1: I really like the idea of you doing a Real Housewives staged reading and then like being so depressed about bombing that you're going around being like I fucking suck, Like I bomb that I fucked at that, and everyone's like it's like that's not the Real Housewives reading. Like you read the words like I bombed.
Speaker 3: I bombed. At this rate, I'll never get a I don't know. Yeah, I mean I was low key a little.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wasn't like I bombed. I bombed, but I was just kind of like I just want to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely.
Speaker 2: That's definitely how. That's how.
Speaker 3: And I've had like there was like friends from college too that were there, Like no, I heard the people I haven't seen in a long time, and I'm like they're like, hey, but I can feel that energy of like hey, that's so fun, Like no, it really, but maybe I'm projected.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm just No, it's tough to bomb in front of people that know you because it's like because they probably see you once every blank years, like literally, so it's like literally you just be like this does happen? Like it's just like I'm not this is a representation of who I am in total. That's also what's got starting is like when like you're starting and then someone that you look up to is like on the same show as you, and you're like, okay, okay, okay, this is the only time I'm going to see me and you go up and like do medium to bad and you're like, well they will for years think I suck right.
Speaker 1: You know what's worse than that, well, potentially doing really well, but then looking out in the crowd and finding the person you admire and seeing that they're not into it. Yeah yeah, and then and then afterwards they just like give you a little fist bump and are like, great, set man.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes you can be that sounds good, actually something awesome, that sounds fun.
Speaker 1: You guys are just turned on because I did this impression of a straight guy.
Speaker 2: We're like, wait, wait, nice.
Speaker 3: Nice, thanks, how are you?
Speaker 1: I just want to say to everyone that like goes to your friend's comedy show, whatever you know. Imagine you you're a lawyer. Imagine inviting someone to see what a random day of your work is like. Sometimes you're not going to slay at that meeting, and sometimes you're not going to get the client. You're not gonna get your client the money they need. Sometimes you may even sent someone to jail. If you're a doctor, you could kill someone. Now, imagine that happens to be the day that I visit because I happened to be visiting New York from Seattle or Portland or Chicago, wherever I live, and you're like, oh my god, I have a surgery that day. Come see it. I come the person dies. Does that feel good? That's my life every day?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: And you have to be like, well, I don't normally kill people, or else I wouldn't be a doctor, right exactly, like they wouldn't keep your surgeries.
Speaker 3: They're like fun, looks like you were having fun.
Speaker 1: He almost lived. Yeah, And then that person is like on their group chat with the other friends from college and they're like, how was how was George? And they're like, I mean he killed the patient, like like.
Speaker 2: He like looked good in the like like little scrubs, but like, yeah, he did kill the guy. But to be fair, the guy was like really sick.
Speaker 1: And it was definitely like cool to be in the o R. Like it all seemed like the lighting and everything seemed real. It wasn't like one of these basements.
Speaker 2: Coworkers seem nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I still picture this happening in a theater, but like around one and it's like a black box sitter on the round and then everyone's just kind of watching this like box where you're doing the operation and there's like music playing like.
Speaker 1: Very well, honey, that's the future with it with social media and how much everyone wants to be seen and and everyone's a creator now and everyone and our president is an inful.
Speaker 3: Everyone's artists, everyone's artist artists.
Speaker 1: What they're doing. They're making Instagram reels in the White House, folks, give it six years. Operations you'll have to pay, buy a ticket to attend, and you'll have to be sponsored by a brand to attend. One of the big operations.
Speaker 2: Budweiser presents Sam's appendectomy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the fucking future. People.
Speaker 1: You think you know who's handling all the ticket sales prisoners?
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you're gonna say Ticketmaster, But honey, which one's worse? I don't know. If I am my way, Ticketmaster would be in prison.
Speaker 1: Wait same snap, literally is behind that is evil.
Speaker 2: The worst part of your friends coming to see your surgery is that you're like, you like obviously kill the person that day, and so it's like such a bummer. But then there's like this nurse who like, like was really good at cleaning up the blood, and they're like, yeah, like who is that nurse? Like that nurse is really going to be somebody. I can see that nurse like like being like the best nurse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the nurse open to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I Meanwhile, you know that that nurse's mom is the head hospital administrator and that's how she got the job. And it's like, yeah, she grew up in that culture, so she of course does a really good job of cleaning and knowing how to do you know, bedside manner and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The nurse is like twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the nurse is twenty two. She's like weirdly really pretty. Yeah, and you know, you did your best.
Speaker 2: You did your best. So Richard, are you excited to go on tour? God?
Speaker 3: I love what I do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Richard, you're going on tour.
Speaker 2: You're going on tour.
Speaker 3: Speaking of bombing and performances and things of that nature. I am touring.
Speaker 2: What do you think your bomb rate is going to be on tour?
Speaker 1: Yeah? If you had to guess, which cities do you think you're gonna bomb at?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know what I'm gonna say, none of them? Oh huge, none of them? Hockey bitch.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: Maybe what are you that nurse?
Speaker 1: Jesus?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm that nurse on this tour?
Speaker 1: Nurse and you.
Speaker 3: Are Wait wait I was but yeah, yeah, wait what I was doing?
Speaker 2: Unique? Unique?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm that nurse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Richard, don't you're you're leaving us after giving It's crazy where you're literally just like pretending like you don't know what we're talking about. It's like one of the most no no, no, you guys.
Speaker 1: That's the doctors they't stop and meet.
Speaker 2: That nurse.
Speaker 1: Nurse.
Speaker 2: Wow, what an incredible.
Speaker 1: Interpretation of that song. It would be if the video was Beyonce as a nurse and the plot was that all the doctors were male and they were like underestimating her, but she was actually the most amazing nurse.
Speaker 2: That would be so cool. That would be so cool, It'll be stunning. Can I tell you guys about some some a bomb that I had once? Okay, so this one. I've talked about my worst bombs that but this is more of a medium bomb that I It's kind of juicy to talk about because it was in front of past two time past guests Lisa Trager and it was so bad. It was at the cake shop, I remember, and she was guest hosting for like John it was John Kate hosted that.
Speaker 1: Maybe and she was she was one of the people who hosted it, but this was before she was a perm host. John Early, by the way, gen't really and then.
Speaker 2: So she I went up first. It's a notoriously bad show in general. There's like potentially eight people in the audience, and it was not a great vibe. I go up, eat complete shit, and she goes up as the host after me and goes, well, that was smart. I guess anyway, let's bring up our next comedian. And I was like, holy shit, and it.
Speaker 3: Was so was anyone else, like slang.
Speaker 2: No, people started slaying, like maybe towards the very end, as like it finally started to feel warm, warmer.
Speaker 1: It's s Yeah, it's a fine line between like there's a way to interpret that. I mean, I will say that, you know, not her best maybe not her best comment, but there's a way to interpret that is like, we're all in this together, and isn't it such a hard show? And that there was an element of that last night where a lot of people were struggling, and so we were all trying to like make each other feel better by like affirming the other's experience. But you can't affirm it too much because then you're basically agreeing that they bombed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was raw, but that.
Speaker 1: Was really bad.
Speaker 3: I didn't laugh once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, yeah, the audience was not into that, which is not your fault because you were funny. But I agree that it was a tough room and it was for me too, don't you agree? And they're like, well, no, you did really well or would have if the audience had been different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's tough. And actually I think Lisa has a erased it. I think it didn't make an impact, but it's something where I was like she remembers, like I was like, this is like what I am in her mind.
Speaker 1: Oh she has if that. I've seen so many people we know do like bomb. It has never made an impression on me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly same. Yeah, and even like people that I'm like a fan of before, you know, and I'm like, oh I see them and they don't right, they have like an awkward set or it's just like not the vibe just isn't there. I'm like, oh, well, I still know they're funny. It's still and on I feel that way.
Speaker 1: And on the other side of things, if someone I think is not funny is killing what I'm thinking, is the world's going to hell in a hand basket? No one has taste anymore. I'm not it's not changing my mind about how funny they are.
Speaker 2: No, You're totally right.
Speaker 1: It actually makes me like them less because I'm like, oh, I see, you're just appealing that low is common denominator and it's working, you stupid bitch. I'll see.
Speaker 2: I'm like, hack hack hack, no, Richard saying go ahead, sorry, as we asked as you sipped water.
Speaker 1: Richard, look wi Richard, Hello, we're podcasting.
Speaker 2: Am sorry?
Speaker 3: Sorry? So do you think that? Like how do I word it? Because like when people when people are like, uh, like the audience was thinking and it's so specific and it's like five specific things. Oh, it's because the way I said this, and then this happened, and then that and then this, This is what the audience is thinking. And I'm like, maybe there's some things where there's like and something perceptive or like intuitive about it, like sure, but I'm also like, I don't know if that's always the case, Like I think that's it's more of like your own mindset and like how you know, like you get tripped up on your own thing or like your anxieties get the best of you, or the critical voice is just really.
Speaker 1: I mean, or it could be something you don't even know, like someone could have yeah, like a phone could have vibrated in the fourth row that you didn't even hear. And then it's sort of like distracted one person and then someone looked back and in your mind that was because of something you said, but she wasn't.
Speaker 3: Right, and I'm like, oh, okay, well I guess that person hated it. And then you start thinking on that a little, like, yeah, it's it's it can be tough to navigate, but I'm just like I I think it's like there, of course is a big part of it that like comes from.
Speaker 2: So basically what you're saying is if you vomb, it's your fucking fault, bitch.
Speaker 3: Kind of so you're saying, and you know what, it's my fault. It's my all those last night last night, it's my fault.
Speaker 2: So my bomb.
Speaker 1: I get off stage. Honestly, someone in the front row, I've already gotten off stage. Some of the front road turns to me and takes out like a spray cleaner for glasses, for eyeglasses, and he goes do you need this?
Speaker 5: Whoa, that's rue And this is someone you don't even know, someone I don't even know that I guess noticed while I was on stage that my glasses were a little bit dirty, and I.
Speaker 1: Knew I did not do well. Oh and as soon as I get off, his first instinct is to offer me glasses cleaner because of.
Speaker 2: How busted my glasses look. That is so deeply messed up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's shit.
Speaker 2: One time I was bombing so bad one a person offered me a shot. No, I was bombing so bad, and these guys were talking. I was like, are you will you stopped talking and they were like, we're ordering drinks and I was like, the bar is not even in this room, Like what are you talking about. They're like, we're talking about we wanted to get to drink. And they're like, do you want a shot? And I was like fine. That was the worst bomb. And then they left and Bob left and bought drinks and then I did a shot while bombing. It was one of the most horrible experiences in my life.
Speaker 3: So the first time I ever performed in like on the same show as you, Sam, I bombed, and I remember that what was it.
Speaker 2: What was the show?
Speaker 3: It was that club coming see I don't remember whose.
Speaker 1: Show, Like Sam has no recollection of that, And for you, it is something you were thinking about all these years later, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like and this was like because that night was the first night you and I like formerly met, and you were like, oh, like you should like do the podcast, and then like a few weeks later I did it.
Speaker 1: I have that with Aaron Jackson, the first time Aaron saw me before my bomb. I'm sure he does not remember it. We are good friends, but I will never forget like saying something, everyone being silent, and then making eye contact with Aaron who was just sort of like, you know, had like an encouraging smile, but he knew what was going on. Yeah, should we do our first segment?
Speaker 2: I think that's a really good idea.
Speaker 3: Wait. Should I talk about my tour a little bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Excuse me, I just want to promote it a little bit? Please please?
Speaker 2: Yeah, go You're allowed.
Speaker 3: Hi, guys, welcome to a Stradio lab. Does it different with Richard Perez as your host for this segment. This segment is to promote my upcoming tour. It's for my solo show called I have to do this directed by Charlie Barday, dear friend of all of ours, and the cities that I will be visiting this spring will be, uh what is it? Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles. I'm still figuring things out with San Francisco, aren't we all also figuring? I'm figuring things out with Pittsburgh. I'm figuring things out with Boston. But but just keep that in mind. It's uh, yeah, it's a it's a really lovely special show that I love doing. And I know we talked about bombing a lot, but I think this will be a different experience than that.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think it's thanks Richard for having me.
Speaker 3: I hope that's my that's my hope that I'm putting.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on your segment, Richard, Australia Lab but a little different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you guys want to say like one thing about it.
Speaker 2: I think this show is so good. I've never not seen it. Crush crush, crush beyond.
Speaker 3: Have you have you seen it?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, I've never seen it, So let's start there. No, No, I've just seen it.
Speaker 1: Sam and I seen it together because there we saw the hall.
Speaker 2: I've seen the Union Hall versions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, that was like my that was like the third time I did it. Is that true? Yeah? And Charlie and I had you guys interview.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Show rather than doing it, rather than doing a talk back at the end, we did a talk back in the beginning where we interviewed Charlie as the director of a show we haven't yet seen. Yeah, now that's all comedy.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, that's all comedy, mama.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was. It was really fun. That was a great night.
Speaker 2: It was really fun.
Speaker 1: Richard. I want to say thank you for having me on your show. Straightia Lab Presents Richard promotes his tour.
Speaker 3: Thanks George, and thank you Sam for saying what you're saying.
Speaker 1: And I just want to promote I have a podcast, Straighter Lab that anyone can listen to on Apple Podcasts for Spotify, hosted with Sam Taggart, who I think has also been on the show before.
Speaker 3: And if you guys don't like this segment, you can just scrub to like, well, this will.
Speaker 1: Be released on a different I assume your show has a.
Speaker 2: Well the We've scheduled the photo shoot for the cover for this one.
Speaker 1: And we'll invoice you for that. We always when Sam and I guessed on other podcasts, we usually do a photo shoot and then invoice the host of that podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking this photo shoot is leather and lace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh hell yeah.
Speaker 1: That Actually you would think Sam would be leather. But I'm going to be leather and Sam is going to be in a full two two lace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to be very am I am? I?
Speaker 3: What am I wearing?
Speaker 1: Well, you're not part of this. We're doing a photo shoot as the guests of Straighter Lab Presents Richard promotes his show, and it'll be like a little photo.
Speaker 3: I don't get a picture you have like the cover art for it already.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. It's like to promote the specific episode, you need a headshot of us, and so we're sending you this photo shoot. Will send you many options options.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll send you a lot of options.
Speaker 3: Can I edit myself?
Speaker 2: Like? And if your face is anywhere on this fucking picture, I'm going to assue you it's not really hell and back.
Speaker 3: You won't be able to buy What if I made it cute?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: What if I did a picture I like, edit it where it looks like you're in your full leather. You're in your full lace watching me on stage, enjoying the show.
Speaker 2: I'm not seeing it.
Speaker 1: I'm not really seeing the vision.
Speaker 3: Both of you are like smiling.
Speaker 2: Sounds really busy. It just sounds really busy, and it kind of goes against the leather and lathe.
Speaker 1: We want to take one thing off in a stage, Yeah, we want to take one thing off. And that thing is kind of the additional thing you added after we gave you the finished product. I say, let's take that off and then just go with the finished product that has been improved by legal and HR and our entire team, and we'll send you everyone that worked on it. And you can in the Instagram capturing, you know, styling at Style Girl, Makeup Ata Girl.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Makeup Girl Style, Girl Craft Services, girl Craft Services. She's a doll, a doll.
Speaker 1: We met her when she was a nurse and we were performing surgeries and we said, you have such screen presents. We're taking you on tour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my Godney, do you know how to work a damn grill? Yeah?
Speaker 1: By the way, Craft Services at our photo shoots are like tapas, small plates, oysters, fish, tacos. It's a lot of seafood.
Speaker 2: Actually a lot of food. Yes, we only eat fish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, veggies. One time they included a corn sauce, so we sued and we won.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's what you're gonna eat before you get into the leather in the lake. Lots of yeah, enduring and during, of course, it sounds like it's gonna be smelly.
Speaker 1: Our breaths are gonna smell really fishy too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna smell fishy as fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're gonna be serving serving fish. Bitch, bitch. Wow. Somebody's gonna be like, is it fishy in here? Is it just me? And you're gonna be like, no, it is fishy in here.
Speaker 1: And then he's gonna be like, we're gonna breathe in this space, and it's gonna be like, oh god, excuse.
Speaker 2: Damn, fuck my god.
Speaker 3: The camera is like shaky.
Speaker 1: The photographers just like yeah, and then we're like, do you want some me?
Speaker 2: So cod.
Speaker 3: So cald, so interesting, okay, And so I.
Speaker 1: Think that concludes that segment, So Richard, our first segment is called Strade Shooters, and in this segment we ask you a series of rapid fire questions to gauge your familiarity with in complicity and straight culture, and you have to choose one thing or Oh, by the way, where can people find tickets to your tour?
Speaker 3: Oh? Thank you so much. We're going to go back to the well.
Speaker 1: This is in the mini segment where can people find tickets to promotes this tour?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm confused this is going to be in my episode? Is this going to be in.
Speaker 2: The third episode? Yeah, this is a new third episode.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Claire, we're doing a new new photo shoot, a new photo shoot to promote this third episode, and it's going to be I'm gonna I'm a robber, a bank robber, and Sam is a bank teller. Yeah, and I'm holding I'm holding him a gun robbery kind of like Inside.
Speaker 3: Man themed, Yeah, Inside Man, and I'm Robert.
Speaker 2: Call.
Speaker 3: And it's called Clarity, Clarity, Claire. This episode of the third episode is called cla Welcome to Clarity, Welcome to Clarity, and it's and the.
Speaker 1: Theme song is if you many, my, myem me any questions?
Speaker 3: So, okay, so this is the third episode. Ok, we're talking link tree.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 3: Instagram, thank you guys for tuning in. You can go to my Instagram it's Richard Underscore Perez and you can find a link tree in the bio and that, And by the time this comes out will be like a really fun like tour poster separate from not attached to Stradio I've incorporated at all. I don't know, but it'll be completely a separate photo shoot. Sam and George will not be in the pictures or anything.
Speaker 1: We own this ip. Like the fact that you're promoting the tour on Stradio Lab means that we have to have approval of any further further like assets that will be produced from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, bitch, And it's not it's like a pretty like simple, really standard we send We'll.
Speaker 1: Send you the lawyer and it has to go through makeup girl style. Everyone involved in our photoshoots also has to approve any third party assets.
Speaker 3: Yeah for my own images.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as soon as you game on this show, all creative projects became part of the studio inc mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, So in the forums we sent you and I actually don't really want to like figure it out on air, It's like you can go read them, you've already signed them, and like we have a limited amount of time in the studio, and I'm not going to be going through paperwork with you right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we have Okay, okay, okay, I'm not going to fight because that's not what I came here to do. I don't want to fight with you right now. I just am trying to on this third episode, I'm just trying to bring some clarity to anyone that's confused, that's listened to it, that.
Speaker 1: Clary tragedy. Sorry, whenever you say clarity, Whenever you whenever someone says clarity by contract because we're sponsors on Clarity, whenever someone says the word clarity, that song starts playing.
Speaker 3: It's almost like that, but it's clear.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it'll be on the link tree in the bio. And I guess now with this amendment, I guess I'll have to change the tour image.
Speaker 1: So it's okay, there's still time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's still plenty of it.
Speaker 1: And when does the tour start?
Speaker 3: The tour? The tour starts, God, it starts March twenty sixth, sixth, sixth. That's a hard word for that's a really tough word.
Speaker 1: Six It starts March twenty sixth, six aries.
Speaker 3: How do you say it?
Speaker 1: March twenty sixth, Sam, You're doing a really good job with your lisp. It's actually like almost gone.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go back, Let's start a new episode of our podcast and go do our first segment.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start a new episode, I think, and let's actually scrap those three.
Speaker 2: I wasn't feeling it.
Speaker 1: It's like, I think we can use them for Patreon or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got network notes network notes, and they really didn't like it. I'm reading the network notes now and I actually can't read them out loud because they're pretty cruel.
Speaker 1: And Richard, we think you have such a unique voice, like we've always loved you.
Speaker 2: We've always felt that way.
Speaker 1: We find ourselves though, being kind of the only ones in the room that do.
Speaker 2: It's just tough when a voice is so unique, It's like, who will this connect with? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sometimes unique is not necessarily good unique.
Speaker 3: That was the song you were singing.
Speaker 2: That was the song.
Speaker 3: So now in this podcast, whenever I hear unique, I'll go nurse.
Speaker 2: That's right. Also, you know, it's funny. I wonder if people that go to that live and say England who go to Uni. Go uniqu.
Speaker 3: Ni back in Uni. We met in Uni.
Speaker 2: That's where you are.
Speaker 7: Unique.
Speaker 3: Get on the tube towards Uni.
Speaker 1: I'm that bad.
Speaker 3: From Uni. Oh I love that? All right, My cast starts now, okay, podcast podcast start.
Speaker 2: I want to introduce her first segment, our first second culture Shooters and the same We're going to ask you shues. You have a five questions this thing or the other thing. The only follow ups. You can't ask an follow up questions. I'll scream at you so fucking loud.
Speaker 3: Are you fucking kidding?
Speaker 1: Richard? This is a children's show. You can't say the f slur.
Speaker 2: We just fun.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this is crazy. I'm just like overwhelmed. No, I know, it's just like too many things are going are you okay? No, I'm fine. It's just like a lot of like we just recorded so many episodes.
Speaker 1: I'm just like we have to bank them though, because Sam and I have really busy schedules, like we'll do like three, four, five, six in a row.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, let's do our for at segment and then we can go back to doing a bit Okay, fine, Okay, Richard Stiggy's yogurt or Piggy pudding.
Speaker 3: I actually did not hear what you said with the first one, but I'll say the second one.
Speaker 7: Okay, rich bitch, Richard, pay attention, No it did, Okay, attention Okay.
Speaker 1: Calling triple A or eating Chipotle a.
Speaker 3: Wo I love that these ryes eating Chole okay, Richard.
Speaker 2: Signing up for a mailing list, or saying up with a little lisp.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say sup with the little list.
Speaker 1: Richard, ADHD or all eyes on me in the center of the ring just like a circus.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: All the second ones are like, I'm gonna do you think people.
Speaker 1: With ADHD like shouldn't have rights or like be recognized as people by the state. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 3: Those are the rules of the game.
Speaker 2: Is that you want any.
Speaker 1: Follow up questions.
Speaker 2: You pick one to have rights, you pick one to have right, you pick one to have right. No one's ever figured out what this game is, and basically you're picking which one has rights.
Speaker 1: Damn, Richard, you finally unlocked it. It's the way the game works. You have to pick one of the two to have rights.
Speaker 2: Don't make me choose okay, Richard, the lost daughter or the found footage. That's good?
Speaker 3: Whoa the lost daughter?
Speaker 1: That was a really difficult one. Richard going on a booze cruise, or being addicted to youtubees.
Speaker 3: Being addicted to YouTube?
Speaker 2: Okay, Richard, the fast and the furious, or a cat who is curious?
Speaker 3: My cat, who's curious?
Speaker 1: Life is good? Or wife make food?
Speaker 3: I say life is good?
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks? Oh so, wait, the wife doesn't deserve rights?
Speaker 3: I thought we changed the rules. Don't make me sound bad, Hi, Richard, don't make me sound bad.
Speaker 2: I'm here.
Speaker 1: This is the fourth podcast recording. You think women don't deserve rights. You think people with the eighty agent you got the serve to be legally recognized by the state. I mean, this is.
Speaker 2: Crazy, you guys.
Speaker 3: First of all, I thought this was the fifth episode. I'm just so confused. And then now you're trying to make me sound bad.
Speaker 1: Where's makeup girl?
Speaker 3: Makeup girl? Or look there's a squirrel.
Speaker 2: Don't mock us.
Speaker 1: I just want And by the way, here's your officials. Here's your official score. Your official score disqualified from zero to one thousand of your official score is disqualified.
Speaker 2: No, is that the low.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, congratulations.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I feel like I just bomb.
Speaker 2: I'm so it wasn't you.
Speaker 1: It was a crowd. It's just like a I mean, it's the fifth recording of the day. Like we're also not doing great, but also you are doing so well, but you're crushing. But like the reason doesn't like is because of other things not in your control. You know it has nothing to do with you, so pretty much that.
Speaker 2: Should we do our topic?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would actually love it, Richard, if you could tell us what your straight topic is and what's straight about it. And I know this is your least favorite part of it because you hate put it being put on the spot. You knew this was coming.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, like, you know, my idea is like, Okay, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna try to go try to go for it. Hi, guys for listening to Thanks for listening to this portion of the episode.
Speaker 2: I mean of the recording.
Speaker 3: And my topic for today's radio lab is with let's say it all at the same time. One, two, three, toys.
Speaker 2: Toys.
Speaker 1: That's me saying brattycers is boys, but it's toys.
Speaker 3: Look at how they look at it. Looks like everyone needs one toys, toys.
Speaker 1: I've been busy thinking about toys, toys.
Speaker 3: Blocks, doll always busy thinking about action figures.
Speaker 2: Legos, Richard, what about toys is straight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, I think I grew up playing just a little like contacts, Like I grew up playing with toys, playing with toys and looking.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you something I said last night that I thought I trust set off the cuff and it bombed so hard. Sorry, and then we'll go back to toys because I just thought of the phrase I'm obsessed with when politicians are like, and that's personal to me, Like it's like when they're talking about helping them, like that's personal to me. So I said something about like I was like talking about getting married, and then I was like, and same sex marriage is personal to me, And I thought that that would like be something. I understand that it's not a complete joke, but I thought that like people would like get the reference and the way people were looking at me completely blank anyway, So toys are personal.
Speaker 3: For you, Yes, toys are personal for me because I grew up playing them with them, and I probably grew up playing with toys till I was like sixteen on if I'm being honest. But when I was like thinking about picking a topic, I was like, well, toys are like when toys are brought into your life at least an hour generation and generations before. I don't know what people are what toys look like now necessarily, but I feel like instantly it's like it adheres to like gender stuff and like yes, how or normal, Like it's instantly like Okay, you're gonna play with these toys like right off the bat, and it's like not really like it just happens, and I'm like, oh, I have hot Wheel totally, and I have this, and then you do kind of find your taste sometimes, like you know, and also like if you have like a sister or something who has toy and you can mix toys and be like okay, like I have a Barbie in this universe that I'm building, Like there's some of that, but I think that, yeah, I think toys have a heteronormative nature to them.
Speaker 2: When you were a child, if you can remember back this far, was there ever a like toy that you had where it was like, oh, he's gonna be LGBTQ plus.
Speaker 1: Richard's parents in the early nineties being like, is he LGBTQ.
Speaker 3: Plus I mean low key? Because my mom she worked at Toys r Us.
Speaker 1: So it's personal for you.
Speaker 2: This is personal for you. This is yeah.
Speaker 3: She worked at Toys r US for a little bit when when I was growing up, and she was like in like the she did something in like stock room or something, and she would like get us toys sometimes. And also like her and my dad separated when I was like really little, so like he kind of would like spoil us a little bit and be like, I'm dad, I'm fun. Here's toys, you know, And I'd be like yeah. And so I was obsessed with Toy Story the movie, and I wanted and my dad got me like me and my brother, you know, most of the characters from that, most of the cast. But we didn't have bo Peep. And I wanted bo Peep.
Speaker 2: Really really bad.
Speaker 3: And so I'm asking my mom if she could like hook it up from her job at Toys r US. I was like, and so I was like, did you get bo Peep? Mom? Did you get bo Peep? Mom? Did you get bo Peep? And then one day we're on a family vacation or We're like driving to the beach in Jersey and like, my mom has on like a cassette tape, but she played in the car and it's whatever her music, and then it just cuts and it's this audio of me being like, Mom, did you get bo peep? Mom? Did you get peep? She was secretly recording me asking her about that, and everyone laughed, wait.
Speaker 1: Which I assumed she was secret recording because she wanted to remember what you asked for. Was she doing it too?
Speaker 2: Might have been.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it was to bully me.
Speaker 1: Was she being like, doesn't Richard sound LGBTQ plus in this clip?
Speaker 3: I think that was it. She was looking for evidence?
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 2: She's like, I've got it. I'm going to the cops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I'm not sure why she recorded it, but but yeah, And I remember I was like really embarrassed. Yea, And she was like I'm sorry, but but yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you sound gay here, like I'm sorry, but you do sound gay.
Speaker 1: Here, like don't shoot the messenger and I love you, I mean, but you do sound gay.
Speaker 3: You sound a little gay wanting this ship?
Speaker 2: So so did you ever get it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't think I did. No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I remember why you're a comedian, and that's where that's why you're searching for both people.
Speaker 3: You still didn't think I was gonna get so personal.
Speaker 2: Well, it's personal to you personal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. This topic is toys are very personal to me.
Speaker 1: Toys are personal to you because you were given them by both your father and your mother, and in that sense, they re uh, you know, like reified the gender binary. Yeah, because as it you were, like, toys can come from two places, man or woman literally literally.
Speaker 2: Okay, Richard, I have another question if you remember childhood, but you're already doing such a good job of Yeah, was there ever a toy that you had that you really loved that said, Wow, our boy is gonna be fucking straight as hell. This guy's gonna fucking pound poon in a way that no one else ever has.
Speaker 3: Probably the first thing that jumps to mine is like Spider Man's like abs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you had a toy, just Spider Man's Abs.
Speaker 1: No, I had like broken toys.
Speaker 3: They're scary like Sid like sid and uh toy story.
Speaker 2: My favorite toy is Spider Man's abs abs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Spider Man, But I felt like I was. I remember just being really like like fixated on his body. He had a really you know, he had a nice body.
Speaker 1: He had a really tight but it was sort of more Twinkie like you weren't into like Superman.
Speaker 3: No, he was like he was like upside down triangle, like like big shoulders, little ways.
Speaker 1: Like that's not really true to what I can that what you know, what I grew up with.
Speaker 3: Well, this was the nineties.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like, yeah, George, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I tell you, like, yeah, I think spider Man, this is before before time.
Speaker 2: You've been like so poisoned by the media, like you have such different expectations of what Spider Man should Even so, do.
Speaker 1: You think Peter Parker is like a meathead?
Speaker 2: Look, we're not saying that. We're just saying he's like.
Speaker 6: He just has brod shoulders, bubble broad shoulders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like, yeah, he's kind of like, Well, I.
Speaker 1: Will say to sort of bring it to toys as straight, toys as straight I do think you're absolutely right. The toys are one of the first avenues through which children are introduced to gender roles and to gender differences.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did y'all play with toys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that I believe we did.
Speaker 2: So this is actual really personal to both of us because we actually played with toy We.
Speaker 1: Both played with toys. One of the first things we bonded over.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'll never forget meeting Georgia, our Wicked Lady in Bushwick and going, wait a minute, did so? Oh no? I was like, God, I was so weird growing up, Like I love toys? Were I love toys? Yeah?
Speaker 1: When I could tell you know, I said you were different?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you like And I was like, hold on, did you play with toys?
Speaker 1: And then we've been in separate, in separable ever since.
Speaker 2: I do have a toy story of my own. Okay, okay, I don't know if I've told you on this pod before, but when I was really young, I was obsessed, obsessed, obsessed with Little Mermaid toys, which was my big single that I was going to be an LGBT plus American.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: To the point where I was like maybe like three, and I dropped my Little Mermaid in the pool and I fell in the pool to try to get it, and the life card had to save me. Oh no.
Speaker 1: And then at the end he was like probably like so, like how did you get is everything okay? And you were like my mermaid.
Speaker 3: He's like this kid.
Speaker 2: Is bro pause bro you old you BTQ plus. But there was my mom always the story. Well, it's funny. She used to tell it, like like when I was straight, she would be like, you know, you're like people would say, don't play with that because you know it'll make him gay. It'll make him gay. Don't let him play with those dolls. And we showed them.
Speaker 1: That is such a funny way of being accepting, being like I was a progressive parent because I knew he was straight, Like you couldn't play with dolls, he could put on dresses. Who cares? Like I knew my boy was straight.
Speaker 3: That's so funny.
Speaker 2: But I was obsessed with Mermaids, in particular the hair underwater. I had like multiple Mermaid dolls the hair underwater, So yeah, haul to me.
Speaker 3: And I love the bikini top.
Speaker 2: And I love the bikini top.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's so devilicious stepa Trump.
Speaker 3: It is fab Yeah, especially seeing the way like the hair move around and dancing, just dancing.
Speaker 2: I just fill up the sink dipper in there. Watch the hair flow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh my god, I want like I love.
Speaker 1: Just practicing disrespecting women's bodily autonomy, as as white gay men in our later life when we're just Oh, give us another album. Oh, get back in the studio, bitch.
Speaker 2: Oh you flopped.
Speaker 1: Oh your song, your song didn't charge.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 1: This is a thread of Katie Perry's worst moments. That's all because of Pal.
Speaker 2: George. You have an LGBTQ plus toy story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what happened?
Speaker 1: I loved toys. It's actually per call for me.
Speaker 2: So this is really personal, really personal for me.
Speaker 3: I didn't know we had so much to gain.
Speaker 2: This is like so personal to all of it.
Speaker 1: It's really personal for me. I would say I loved Power Rangers. I was obsessed with like the way that their heads would switch from costume to not costume. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: Of course, I love the Power Angers toys.
Speaker 1: I love the Power Rangers. I loved uh Like, did they have Action Man in the US?
Speaker 2: I'm not familiar with this, Okay, it's just like.
Speaker 1: A It's an action figure who was kind of military coded.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest. Sounds not very thought out for sure. Action Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he was so hot, So I would make Action Man in my sister's barbies have sex and even threesomes because I actually only had one Action Man, but I had my sisters had probably like over five barbies. If I were to guess, well.
Speaker 2: That's cool that you had polytoys, that's really Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had a lot of it, but it was kind of toxic in this way where like the man was had a harem of women rather than a bit it was a bit religious in the Yeah, it was more that rather than like kind of latigra queer polyamory.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I had that, but I so obviously, yes, girl toys are dolls. Girl toys are like kitchen appliances, easy bake oven, and then boy toys are cars, trucks, action figures, guns. Yeah, so we can all agree on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, part of toys.
Speaker 1: One of the parts of toys that was again so personal to me was the kind of sublime of going into a toy store. There is something that as a kid, I'm like, this is what church must feel like to someone who was religious. Did you, like, did you ever go to just like a big, big big toys like I have a memory of like toys or yeah, like toys r us like my pay. So when we before we originally moved here. The first time I came to New York, we went to Fao Schwartz and I was like, this is America, Like I can't.
Speaker 2: Still have never been either, is it, George, You're so privileged?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and I went when I was like six years old.
Speaker 2: Fuck, we've never even been.
Speaker 3: We've never been.
Speaker 1: And I was told from a young age, and I really internalized this that the toys were of a higher quality. My parents were like, you know all these other toys made in China. At Fao Schwartz, there are elves basically making them backstage.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And so we got these two stuffed animals. One was a hippo, one was a dolphin. And the way that I was like, I have to take good care of these because they're going to be worth millions one day. And I still have them and they look pristine, to be honest.
Speaker 2: And they're worth millions, and they're worth millions. I actually one of the darker things about childhood is how early you worry about the worth of your toy.
Speaker 1: Like a producer is saying, oh my god. Olivia's parents told her fo Schwartz was a museum and she couldn't touch anything.
Speaker 3: I mean, but it was sort of it you can't touch.
Speaker 1: So you've still never been to Fao Schwartz. I maybe I was just so young that it made an impression on me.
Speaker 3: Is it's still open?
Speaker 1: I don't think it is. And if it is, then it's under like you know, probably owned by some venture capital firm, so we'll never get to go.
Speaker 2: Basically, never get to go at.
Speaker 1: Its best though. You know, it was like you wouldn't believe now here, you don't you want to know my white whale. And with toys, uh huh m hm, the Spice Girls barbies you had this? Why they didn't have them? I knew that would be too LGBTQ plus for me to even ask for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah right, you said, honey, that's even too LGBTQ plus for me. Yes, and I'm LGBTQ plus.
Speaker 1: But you know what I did is when my sister was born, I they told me I could get her a gift, and I got her the Britney Spears barbie so I could play with it myself.
Speaker 2: Smart, very smart, of course, very very smart. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I remember. Britney Spears was like the first album I ever own.
Speaker 1: Mine was Spice Girl, So again, what was your sam?
Speaker 2: I think it might have been Backstreet Boys cut maybe Millennium even.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm on the uh. I don't know why, but I'm on the press list for the Sphere in Las Vegas, and so they tell me whenever there's a new residency there, and the Backstreet Boys are doing Millennium there like three weeks and they recreated the photo shoot where they're all wearing all white in front of like a silver and white background.
Speaker 2: Wow, let's go, let's go, let's fucking go.
Speaker 3: But guys, I'm torn.
Speaker 2: I'm sort out of Vegas Day, Vegas Da Vegas Day.
Speaker 1: Outside of the Sphere, I'm having so much fun being loose, And then there's a part of me that's like, I actually think toys as straight culture is so smart that I want to like really really get into.
Speaker 3: It, you know what I mean, Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: I want to say, I think it's funny when boys just do love trucks. You'm always like, huh so it's like just that literal huh like, and no one.
Speaker 1: Wants to talk about this. Of course, not all boys love trucks, but boys not all boys. But the thing is eighty percent of them literally do deeply and with an uncontrollable urge to just what.
Speaker 2: What is that? That like scares me the way that boys loved Truck.
Speaker 3: It didn't happen to me.
Speaker 2: It didn't happen.
Speaker 3: I love people, God, I love I love dinner Party creatures, I love Pikachu, I love like Peep.
Speaker 2: I actually think Pokemon is an interesting that bridges the gap because boys girls.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's such a good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pokemon was everything.
Speaker 2: Well, of course there's a girl Pokemon.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Yeah, you raise your hand in the classroom, you say, I like jiggly Puff. You're gonna be bullied out of the entire state.
Speaker 3: Video games like picking like Super Smash Bro was like picking which characters and I'm like, oh, I want to be like what's her name, like Zelda, or there's one Chic or whatever her name is, like she turns into Chic and I'm like, I want to do that one, and I would do it.
Speaker 1: Here's the question, because I think this is a little counterintuitive. Do you think it's straight or gay to be like a progressive mom who's overly concerned about what gender norms the toys are instilling in her kids. Because I actually think that's very straight. It's a very straight woman who went to Barnard and thinks that it like is paying so much attention to whether he or not her kids play with dolls or trucks.
Speaker 2: To me, it's still gay.
Speaker 3: To me, I agree, I think it's Wait, so toys are gay?
Speaker 1: Toys are like imagine a mom, imagine a mom that's like we sorr. I remember this actually when when we were young, there was this line in this sort of like rich person toy story, there was a line of like Barbie like dolls called Smarties Smarties because they were smart and each of them had a different high power job, so there was like lawyer, doctor. Now one might ask, doesn't Barbie also have those jobs? Yes, but this was like, you know, branded in a way to be feminist, and I'm just sort of like, I wouldn't buy that for my kids.
Speaker 2: Well, there's something that's like overthinking that, like the gender neutrality, and yeah, what does this mean for my kid? I think it's so LGBTQ.
Speaker 1: Plus, Yeah, it's true, you're right.
Speaker 2: In a way that's like admirable, but also is like chill out, like there is something where it's like it's fine, like it's actually fine either way.
Speaker 1: I'm also always worried that kids are going to rebel against whatever they are raised with, which is why legitimately, and I'm not kidding, can't raise them too progressively because they will become right wing. Like you actually have to raise kids as neutrallly as.
Speaker 3: Possible, be like, hey, play with these toys, you yeah, like play with this truck, Like you have.
Speaker 1: To tell them trucks are for boys, and dolls are.
Speaker 3: For yeah, blue blue, blue.
Speaker 1: Them if they don't like their assign.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really fun. Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean fuck y'ah.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I love toys so much and I just want to play with them again, you know, actually recently, not recently. This was a few years ago when am I saying my cousin, like we used to all play together, like my brothers, my cousin, my neighbors, Like we'd play like cops and robbers, or they come up with these games or like different scenarios where like like we're in a castle and we have to whatever, defend like whatever. And I was always cast or usually I was cast as like the bad guy or like the villain and to defeat. And I think I was just like I had fun doing that and just kind of playing into that character. But my cousin thinks that like that has that like speaks to like my like queerness. Oh interesting or something like you know, like a Disney villain gay or whatever the way, like being like you'll.
Speaker 8: Never you'll never figure this one out and then it's a gotam and then and they all went, well, it certainly speaks to you being a performer, that's true.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a meteor role. Yeah, you're losing yourself in character. I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so I would feel that way with like toys, like I would be put in those similar dynamics like I'm like, oh, like we're playing with toys and and I have to lose.
Speaker 2: Wait what because because.
Speaker 1: Because you're the villain, so like the narrative demands that ultimately you don't get your way. Yeah, oh that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Because what message for that sound if the villain won?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a LGBTQ positive one.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 9: Toys, toys, toys, I like toys, toys, toys in BS, toys and bars.
Speaker 3: George Froes, George Oh, my God, hold on, George, George, George, George, George, George, George, George.
Speaker 2: We like George George.
Speaker 3: George bias. We love him, we love him.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm back.
Speaker 2: Oh you missed it.
Speaker 3: We just didn't run it.
Speaker 1: I heard George, George George and then and then I cut Okay. I was sort of contemplating bringing it to a place of.
Speaker 2: Like the way queer.
Speaker 1: Tender, queer people talk about sex toys and whether that is related to toys.
Speaker 2: Actually, glad you're going here, And so.
Speaker 1: I know I'm coming at this in a sort of like already, I don't feel confident. It's it's it's a flaccid suggestion, but I'm like there is something there, because there's something. And I would almost go so far as to say this has to do with like sex positivity writ large, where it's kind of like bringing a childlike wonder to sex.
Speaker 2: I find it mostly like a cringey approach to sex. Like I think there's such a thing as a sex nerd. This is a theory I've been working on. And I think like a sex nerd really makes sex unsexy. And and I think when someone's really like, you know, like try using a toy to or you know, if you want to get into toys and like make sure the toy is a quality toy. Like they're saying, like toy with this way, I get like grossed out by it and like it's like I don't think of it as a sex toy. I think it's a sex tool.
Speaker 1: I like, you know, a serious business.
Speaker 2: It's serious business, and it's like has a use and a purpose, like I don't take them out and I'm like, how fun, let's let's play with this toy. I'm like, no, it's like opening up a hole or being a hole. Like it is, like it's not a it's not like creating imagination. It's simply like a tool for physically feeling different things.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, and also bringing this childlike energy into sex is like I of course understand the instinct to destigmatize it because it should not be shameful, but of course what's exciting about it is that it's forbidden. So if you bring in if you're like, oh, toys, Oh we're cuddling, Oh cuddle party like blah blah blah, then it's like okay, well now I feel weird because it feels like you're talking to me like I'm a kindergartener.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know any of this really, You're like, I don't kind of just I feel Yeah, I mean, I'm just far away from this topic.
Speaker 2: What do you mean sex? Have you had sex?
Speaker 3: I forget honestly at this point.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: If you asked me five years ago, yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: That would have maybe said something else.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do our final segment.
Speaker 2: I have a shout out. Okay. I finally was called shout Outs, and in this segment, we pay and watch the Grand Street vision of the radio shout out and shout out anything that we enjoy. People play sustinct ideas and I thought I didn't have one, but I actually do have one, and I'm excited to do it. Okay, do it? What's up freaks, losers, perverts all around the globe from seed to Shining Sea. I want to give a huge shout out to the John Early, Kate Burnlanout Peacock special that Richard is in called would It Kill You to Laugh? I watched this last Weekend for the first time. Yes, it came out three years ago, so what was so assuming? I watched this for the first time last weekend, and I was saying, Damn, this is funny as hell. I you know, John and Kate are already well respected in our community, and but it's so they're so funny, and you watch it and you're like, it's so fun it's so funny, it's well performed, it's well written, it's playful. I'm so in awe. And I was like, damn, they really did it. And honestly, I was like, I can't believe this isn't more popular. I think this should be a damn classic. And it was so good. Richard, You're incredible in it, of course, And I think if you never watched it, because it came on, I think when Peacock was quite new, and so maybe it was like kind of it was like where do I watch it? What's Peacock now? But you probably have Peacock now to watch Traders? And I want to say, go ahead and watch. Would it kill you to laugh? It is great? Xoxo Sam.
Speaker 1: It's you know, it's literally a miracle when good things get made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you people don't know.
Speaker 1: I like you fucking literally you don't know. You think you know, you think you're like, oh, yes, we get it. Like Hollywood is consolidated and uh sort of like evil people with bad taste for making decisions. It is quite literally, not exaggerating, twenty times worse than you think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Honestly, like most movies or anything I watch, I'm like, that's amazing it happened. Yes, No, I know, I know, which if there's like anything good in it, I'm not quick to be like I hate that. Yeah, so, I mean, you know, it depends. I feel like I'm like, whoa, yeah, I'm quick to do that if it's like a Star Wars property or like I'm.
Speaker 2: Quick to hate on like Marvels, like big big things.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right right, But even that, I obviously I am too. But then you just think about all the people that were employed and how it all came together, even if it's a terrible movie, the fact that it all just came together to produce like a two hour piece of entertainment. I would love to see the Trump administration produce one Marvel movie because they couldn't.
Speaker 2: They couldn't not with boj Okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll go what's up, cinephiles, butletterbox users around the world, I want to give a shout out to the film The House of Yes. Of course I knew this was a cult classic. The cover of Parker Posi holding the gun behind her back wearing the Jackie olok is a classic early Blockbuster memory. I remember looking at that and being like, that is inappropriate for me. I can tell that that's like somehow not safe for kids, and at the time I was playing with toy so this is personal for me. I watched it for the very first time last night, and I have to admit I had no idea what it was about. It is so much more crazy and fucked up than I thought, and it is so weird. It is such a specifically, it has such a specific nineties indie energy. It is Parker Posy at her finest. And I specifically want to give a shout out to Tory Spelling's performance. She's a really good comedic actress, and she's also really good in the movie, which I have shouted at on the pod before. I know that you know, her life has not gone the way she has wanted it to go, and I don't think you exactly. I don't think she'll be making her return to the screen or stage anytime soon, but there is footage of her acting, and she is good and I enjoyed her performance, and I think she has some screen presence, sue me. So shout out to Tori Spelling, of course, her memoir storytelling and the film The House of Yes. Is it a House of Yes or the House of Yes.
Speaker 2: I've actually never seen it and I don't know it.
Speaker 3: House yet House of Yes.
Speaker 2: So that's crazy because I just thought that was a venue in Bushwick.
Speaker 1: It's the House of Yes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah? Wait do you?
Speaker 1: Oh you if you google it, do you recognize that cover from Blockbuster? To me, it's so iconic.
Speaker 2: House of Yes.
Speaker 3: House I'm thinking of House of Wax, but that's a different movie, House of Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have never seen this trailer, this image in my life, not once.
Speaker 1: Wait do you, Richard? Do you know the House of Yes?
Speaker 2: The movie?
Speaker 3: No, I just looked up a picture.
Speaker 1: She looks, I don't, honestly, all right, well but I love this out. Okay, So she is just quickly since you don't have a heart out, she's holding a gun. She hold she is she plays this sort of you know, in nineties terms, before we knew about how to be non ablest, she was an insane person. That had just gotten out of an asylum, and she's obsessed with Jackie. Oh so she calls herself Jackie O and dresses like Jackie O. And you find this out honestly ten minutes into the movie. But the entire movie is about incest. She's in love with her brother. Oh wow, so that's what I mean. Like I thought I always knew there was something inappropriate about it, but I didn't know that's what it.
Speaker 2: Was interesting And toy Space, that's like, Yeah, George, that doesn't seem like a movie i'd want to.
Speaker 1: Watch, showing is the brother's fiance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, George, I don't think I'm gonna later that movie.
Speaker 3: That's weird. I don't know why I didn't watch that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, George, could you not talk about that? Hey, Olivia, could we caught that? That's weird?
Speaker 3: No, I would I would watch this.
Speaker 2: No, it's very I'm sick and twisted.
Speaker 1: It's like peak. You know when you think of Parker Posey as a cult id.
Speaker 3: This is it.
Speaker 1: It's like this party girl and like day Trippers and like.
Speaker 3: And Tory Spelling is like. Also, I first saw her in Scary Movie Too.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I forgot you She's the best scary movie.
Speaker 3: She's so oh No, three is the best one. Sorry three, I mean from what I remember, I remember just like laughing.
Speaker 1: And she also, you know, people like Tory Spelling, people like Christy Ally, they were like Kathy Griffin. They had like this sort of self aware sense of humor about their own place and celebrity culture before that was something that everyone had to do in order to do, like you know, Vanity Fair Video My Life and looks.
Speaker 3: Oh my God.
Speaker 1: Totally they were ahead of their time, like Tori Spelling having a reality show you know, sorry, sorry, Gilly Vibes, The Simple Life Gilly Gilly Sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah God and non record Zaga zaa Bubble.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry, so stupid. I love it's so funny to have a podcast and you can just like quote for like one minute.
Speaker 1: By the way, you know, barbarin Star is so good.
Speaker 10: I love that freaking movie, George God to be Sad It had to be Sad is fab and it made me, It made me laugh and it made me so I love sweet.
Speaker 3: I love when a movie does both.
Speaker 2: I love what was fucking fun. No one wants to have fun?
Speaker 3: I know literally, you know what I think.
Speaker 1: I think Tory Spelling wanted to have fun, and then she was punished for it, and now she has to be you know, she's like sort of in the tablet. It's like if everyone had embraced Tory Spelling being kind of a joke in this like fun way, then she wouldn't have to be a joke in a tragic way. And that many such cases, to quote President, in.
Speaker 2: Many such cases, many such cases, Richard, When you're ready to give a shout out, please take the reins.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, let's go. Hey, what's up everyone? I want to give a shout out to the television show Arrested Development. Since we're talking about cinema and media and things like that, I feel inspired to give a shout out to this iconic television show. I recently watched a compilation YouTube video of Hello Wow, like laugh out loud moments from Arrested Development, and that show is just so funny and one of the greatest things ever created, which has shaped an entire generation. It's so influential. So I want to say thank you, guys, Thank you Ron Howard and Mitchell Hurwitz for doing that. ROSSI and the cast, the cast, the cast, you guys, you guys killed it, Michael Sarah, Michael, Michael Sarah Michael.
Speaker 1: Are you.
Speaker 2: Alia shotcat Alia?
Speaker 3: Alia?
Speaker 2: David Kross Krass?
Speaker 1: You know Will Arnette just spot I read he bought a twenty million dollar home.
Speaker 2: I saw this as well actually, and guess what he deserves it? Where Yeah, my words, I would never need a twenty million dollar house if uh huh, if I tomorrow run into one hundred million dollars, it is a lot still going to be like suly, I think that's a three million dollar house is plenty, and literally just like keep it in the bank account.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then invest invest, invest, right, and also donate.
Speaker 2: I just want like to live my life.
Speaker 3: Also, I just want like a cute ass apartment. Helly, I'm like happy with that. I'm happy to have a beautiful apartment. And then you know, if I do something smart with the one hundred million dollars, I'm like, I'll get another cute apartment somewhere on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But you know what, you know, my ass wants to have an art collection. You know, I want to be one of those rich people as the music like the broad in La where it's like a family house.
Speaker 3: Wait, where do people like keep that.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, you can also lend it out to the museum and it can be like m Jay Lenderman out, it can be like from the George same Taggart family collection.
Speaker 3: It's literally like that, just like I don't know what his music sounds like, but is it something like that? Wait?
Speaker 1: Speaking of music, shout out our friend Baths whose album dropped today. Will shout out shout out to Will do It this morning to album dropped, Loving.
Speaker 3: God, I listened literally to. I mean so fucking good. I love it.
Speaker 1: I know the body, the body, and honestly shout out to Will being snatched as hell.
Speaker 3: Hello body, honk Honky Honkynky, spider Man, Letterman who never be Cassis, Peter Parker, guess why to Hunky? He's too hunky. He's fab Yeah, he's he's fabulous, fab.
Speaker 2: And we're proud of him too.
Speaker 1: Well everyone, Yeah, and we're proud of him too because we all know him and we're friends with him. And wait, that's also Kristen Wig And.
Speaker 2: So I.
Speaker 3: Actually worked on the album and I m together and actually happy.
Speaker 1: Actually the album right now, Actually I was the original album Iconic Characters.
Speaker 2: What a beautiful like stage, like.
Speaker 3: Clear it out? Oh my God? Would you guys want to talk about like one more thing.
Speaker 1: Podcast and now want more? Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patreon dot com. Slash Stradio Lab and.
Speaker 2: For all our visual earners, free full length video episodes are available on.
Speaker 1: Our YouTube now Get back to Work.
Speaker 2: Stradia Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Created and hosted by George Severs and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 2: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Hans Sony and Olivia Aguilar, co produced by Bei Wang, Edited and engineered by Adam Avalos.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Michael Failes and Matt Grugg.
Speaker 2: Theme music by Ben Kling