Speaker 1: From the Bloomberg Interactive Burgers Studios. This is Bloomberg day Break for Thursday, April twenty seventh.
Speaker 2: Coming up today, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy's dead limit bill passes the House, escalating a stand off with President Biden.
Speaker 1: Meta shares surge as revenue, Tom's estimates.
Speaker 2: Deutsche Bank and Barclay's rise following solid results, and.
Speaker 1: First Republic may face limits on borrowing from the Fed.
Speaker 3: Yerk Mayor Adams has released his budget for fiscal twenty twenty four. Plus, the woman who's accused Donald Trump of raping her decades ago was on the witness stand. I'm John Tucker Moray Head, I'm.
Speaker 4: John stansh aarons Ford's the next one in Cleveland will now play Miami. The Yankees won, the Mets lost. The NFL Draft starts tonight.
Speaker 5: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg day Break, The business news you need to sturn your day in just one fifteen minute podcast each morning on Apples, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business app, and everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Good morning, I maybe Morris and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has gotten his debt bill passed in the House. Bloomberg's Ed Baxter reports still has a tough road ahead.
Speaker 6: McCarthy did get enough votes to pass it and is loudly claiming victory.
Speaker 3: We are the only party to take fiscal action in a sound mind that would lift the debt limit, so we wouldn't have economic damage.
Speaker 6: So it's onto the Senate, where the Democratic control says DOA Senator Richard Blumenthal says they may look later, but.
Speaker 7: There may be a way to combine the two, but right now, let's do the debt ceiling.
Speaker 6: President Biden says the bill as it is now will never become law, but he's willing to sit down with McCarthy if default has taken off the table. In San Francisco. I'm at Baxter Bloomberg Gay Break, All.
Speaker 1: Right, thanks well. The two front runners for the Republican nomination are making news this morning. A federal appeals court has rejected Donald Trump's leadst attempt to stop former Vice President Mike Pence from testifying before a grand jury. The panel is investigating whether crimes were committed by the former president and his allies as they try to undo Joe Biden selection win.
Speaker 2: Meantime, Ron DeSantis is now the target of a lawsuit from Disney over municipal authority of its theme parks. Disney accuses the Florida governor of retaliating against the company for speaking out against legislation that he backed. Bloomberg political contributor Genie Sheanzano says this will be a tough battle for DeSantis to win.
Speaker 8: I think Disney has done a very smart thing here and they have really taken it to Ron de Santis. He's going to have to either give up, which we doubt because it will upend his chances of running, or he's going to have to push back. And I think either way this is a losing battle for Rond de Santis.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg political contributor Genie Sheanzano spoke with Joe Matthew on Bloomberg's Sound on Catch That program weekdays at one pm Eastern on Bloomberg Radio. Hear the full interview on the Sound on podcast, available on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Well, we turn to Mark, It's now Amy and it's all about earnings again. Today shares a meta up more than eleven percent in early trading. The Facebook parent reported revenue and user growth that beat estimates. The surprising ADS sales rebound is buying Meta time to keep pouring money into artificial intelligence and virtual reality. CEO Mark Zuckerberg spoke in the company's earnings call, I continue to.
Speaker 9: Believe that's flowing, hiring, slappening our management structure, increasing the percent of our company that is technical, and more rigorously prioritizing projects will improve the speed and quality of our work.
Speaker 1: CEO Mark Zuckerberg says Meta reached a new milestone in the quarter. More than three billion people used at least one of its products Facebook, Instagram, or WhatsApp every day.
Speaker 2: And Karen, the earnings continue to roll in today, with more than seventy companies in the S and P five hundred reporting heading the list, Amazon, Mark and Caterpillar. Amazon set to report after the close of US trading.
Speaker 1: Well and you're up today, Amy shares a Barclay's more than four percent fixed income rene unexpectedly rose in the quarter that helped offset losses and equities trading and deal making. In an interview with Bloomberg, CEO cs Venkata Krishnan says Barclay's has been relatively sheltered from a global deposit withdrawals.
Speaker 7: The UK has been more insulated from that deposit flight across banks than certainly the US has been, between the regionals and the big money center banks. Having said that, our deposit franchise grew by about ten billion pounds during the quarter, and a lot of that was actually people corporates putting deposits with US.
Speaker 1: And barclay CEO cs Venketa Krishnan says transaction banking income rose sixty eight percent. That's the best first quarter performance since twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Shares of Deutsche banker up more than one percent. The bank is pluging more jobs cuts to save five hundred million dollars. This comes after Deutsche Bank's trading business trailed peers for a second quarter. When it comes to deposits, Chief finance JEL officer James von Moltke tell's outflows stabilized after the collapse of Credit Suise.
Speaker 10: Once March was over and we were into April, like a light switch, you know, the concerns around the banking industry went away, and we've seen deposits stabilize and grow over the course of April, in the.
Speaker 2: Wake of the Credit Suez crisis. CFO James von Milkey says Deutsche Bank has opportunities to boost its wealth management business and.
Speaker 1: Back here in the US. Samy troubles for a First Republic are getting deeper. The regional lender could now face limits on borrowing from the Federal Reserve. Regulators are weighing the prospect of downgrading their assessments of the bank that could curb First Republic's access to FED lending facilities. JP Morgan Asset Managements Bob Michael says the regional banking sector remains in a crisis.
Speaker 11: It's somewhat naive to say that this is just limited to First Republic. If you step back and think about this, should never have happened. This one after the most heavily regulated capitalized industry on the planet, banking, and the regional banking system I think is quite vital to the US. So I think it is a crisis.
Speaker 1: And JP Morgan's bon Michael notes that First Republic shares drop forty nine percent on Tuesday and thirty percent yesterday.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Kieren five oh seven on Wall Street fifty two degrees in New York, A few morning showers. Then look for partly sunny skies this afternoon. We'll get up to sixty five degrees. Tom now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's John Tucker.
Speaker 3: Good morning, John, Good morning Amy. Mayor Eric Adams unveiled New York City's budget for fiscal year twenty twenty four. The city's budget will be one hundred and six point seven billion dollars, the largest executive budget in city history. However, in a reversal from earlier talk, no cuts will be made to the budgets for libraries and cultural institutions.
Speaker 12: I've been a support of libraries since my day of the State Senate. If you would speak with each one of the heads of libraries in general, but specifically in Brooklyn, they would tell you how much of a friend I am to libraries.
Speaker 3: Mayor Adams says, in the last year, more than fifty seven thousand asylum seekers have arrived in the city, calling it an ongoing crisis. The man convicted of fatally running over an fd NYEMT was sentenced to life in prison without parole. Jose Gonzalez was high on PCP in March of twenty seventeen when he stole the ambulance from Yadira Arroyo and motored down in the Bronx. Before he was sentenced, Gonzalez, who's thirty one, apologized and said he didn't mean to kill anyone. Writer Egene Carroll, who was accused Donald Trump of raping her decades ago, was on the witness stand in New York part of her civil suit against the former president. Carol says when she wrote about it, Trump said it didn't happen, shattering her reputation. Carol testified that Trump attacked her nearly thirty years ago in a dressing room at a Fifth Avenue department store. Still unclear whether Trump will testify in the case. The Montana Houses voted to bar Montana Representative Zoe Zephyr, the state's only transgender lawmaker, from the House floor for taking part in a state House protest. Shall no longer be allowed on the House floor, but can vote on bills remotely. Republicans limited Zephyr's participation in debates aster she rebuked supporters of a proposed ban on gender affirming care for children.
Speaker 13: When I rose up and said, there is blood on your hands. I was not being hyperbolic. I was speaking to the real consequences of the votes that we as legislators take in this body.
Speaker 3: Zephyr says that she's confident her punishment has only amplified her message. Republican lawmakers said she encouraged the protest Monday that disrupted House business and broke decorum. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts in more than one hundred and twenty countries. I'm John Tucker, and this he's Bloomberg. Amy.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, John. Time now for our Bloomberg Sports update. For that, we bring in John Stashauer.
Speaker 3: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 4: The Knicks are moving on their first playoff series victory since twenty thirteen, just their second since two thousand. They won in Cleveland one oh six to ninety five, won the series four to one. Plenty of Nick heroes, maybe none more so than Mitchell Robinson protecting the rim and grabbing eighteen rebounds. Josh Hard played forty seven minutes. He had twelve boards. Jalen Brunson scored twenty three points.
Speaker 8: R J.
Speaker 4: Barrett had twenty one. Julius Randall was playing well until he re injured his left ankle late in the first half. Nick said to be hopeful Randall will be able to play in the second round that starts Sunday afternoon at the Garden against the Miami Heat, who in Milwaukee came from sixteen down in the fourth quarter one in overtime to win that series in a massive upset. Only the sixth to eight seed to beat a one wins in the West from Memphis and Golden State Bruins lost in overtime to Florida. Still lead that series three to two. Tonight in Newark, we'll see who goes up three two between the Devils and Rangers. Mets were playing well in won eight of nine since then four straight losses, beaten again by lowly Washington at City Field four to one. Yankee Bats came alive in a twelve to six route in Minnesota. Aaron Rodgers came to town and remarked about the jets lack of history.
Speaker 12: Watching old VHS tapes of the Super Bowls, and so obviously I know about the guarantee and roadway.
Speaker 4: Joe.
Speaker 12: It's been a while since then.
Speaker 4: I noticed walking in this morning with that Super Bowl three trophies looking more lonely, so Jets now turn their attention to the draft that begins tonight in Kansas City. Jets have the fifteenth pick, the Giants the twenty fifth pick. Carolina picks first expected to take Alabama Keev Bryce Young, John stash Ewett. Boomberg Sports.
Speaker 5: Live from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, d C. Nationwide on Syriaxam. The Bloomberg Business appened Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I Amy Morris. House Republicans narrowly passed that bill to raise the debt ceiling while cutting spending by nearly fourteen percent over the coming decade, but the bill might not get too far. We're joined now by doctor Jullie Norman at the Center on US Politics at University College London. Doctor Norman, thanks for joining us this morning. Would you call this a victory for House Speaker Kevin McCarthy.
Speaker 14: Well, he definitely needed to get this over the line, and he did. I mean, we saw the debacle around McCarthy's confirmation as speaker. He really needed this as a win to show that he could keep the caucus together when it really mattered on issues where they really do have leverage. So I do think this was a big win for him, even though in reality this was more of a symbolic vote as he even was trying to get votes. He was even saying, look, we know this isn't going to be legislation, but we need this to get over the line to show that we're putting something on the table.
Speaker 2: So mainly this vote was about showing that they do have unity within his caucus. So the bill's future in the Senate, what does that look like.
Speaker 14: Well, it was pretty much to debt unarrival. Democrats have been very clear that they are not going to compromise on the debt sealing, they're not to negotiate on it, and they're not going to even consider passing this bill. So what really the hope is through this legislation is to put the pressure on the White House to start negotiating around the debt ceiling. That's what McCarthy has been saying from the beginning. That's really the aim of this bill, rather than actual passage of the legislation. So in some ways, I think from McCarthy's point of view, the ball is in Biden's court now with how to engage. Biden so far is saying, look, I'm not going to negotiate on the debt ceiling. I'm not going to do this for the gun to my head and that kind of thing. But what he has said is, look, I'll meet and talk about spending, but I want it divorced from the debt ceiling. That has to be its own passage without any strings attached.
Speaker 2: So who has the leverage? Does this possibly force the President's hand because there's been a lot of time that has passed, nothing technically has been accomplished, and could push the country closer to default. So does McCarthy now have the leverage or does President Biden.
Speaker 14: It's a good question, Amy, because honestly, they are both I think, really pushing this for political gain at the moment. We really this kind of brinkmanship is not good for the country or for markets. I think we all know that. But the same time, I think there's almost coming out politically neutral at the moment because both of them can spin this to their own advantage. Biden can say that Republicans are forcing a negotiation on the debt. McCarthy can say Biden the White House aren't negotiating, So I think right now they're almost canceling each other out. And I do think things are going to have to move forward in one shape or form. I think it might be a kind of a question of this who's going to blink first?
Speaker 8: Again?
Speaker 14: My sense is that there can and will be negotiations on spending, but who can actually kind of set the terms of when that's going to happen before after the debts and land agreement goes through that both parties are going to be trying to get upper hand on. Now.
Speaker 2: We've been talking a lot about congressional leaders in the White House, but I'm wondering about the rank and file lawmakers. Would there at this point be a sense of urgency among lawmakers or are those who are entrenched going to stay entrenched? Is there any movement to get this done?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 14: So we're obviously seeing some calls and interesting even House Democrats some calling on Biden saying, look, we really leased. Looks like we're trying to negotiate and come to the table on this to some degree, And there are some calls from others than the Caucus as well, I will say it's tricky again as we saw for Republicans, McCarthy has a Again, we saw how difficult this was to get it over the line, so he doesn't have a lot of wiggle room there. And I don't think Republicans are going to budge too much on this. But I do think as this gets closer again, just reality is going to have to set in and no one wants to see this happen. The odds of it actually happening are very low, but someone does actually need to figure out what they're going to do about it before we reach that point potentially in June.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm wondering how this is going to play out. This isn't like the budget where they can take things all the way down to the wire then maybe sign a CR and kind of stretch it out a little bit. This is not how the debt ceiling works. They have to get something done ahead of time to give it time to get through Congress and to get to the President's desk. Are we already out of time? Have they been mathematically eliminated? Is there time to get something done at this point?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I think there is still time. I mean, you know, there were some projections that the US wouldn't actually hit that default point until almost September. That has gotten moved up recently, just as some of the tax revenues came a little bit shorter than possible. So I think we're still looking at a June window right now. So there is still some mogro room. And I guess I would say again, this passage, with this bill does kind of move things up to the next level. And now it's a question of Okay, this is there, we have this six weeks. What are we going to do about it? And what kinds of deals negotiations can happen to get this, to get this through and to get something to get something moving on the debt without these massive compromises that Democrats aren't going to make either.
Speaker 2: Perhaps they could put together some sort of a coalition between the two sides. I mean, what are you going to be watching for over the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So, I mean we're watching how the White House responds to this. I mean within Congress again, I think Republicans are clear where they stand in the House. Democrats have been clear where they stand in the Senate. So it will come to some degree to the White House with how this is going to move and so so Biden is the one who's really going to have to step in and say, I think say when and if he's going to negotiate on the other spending measures, and if that's going to be enough for McCarthy Republicans.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, Sirius XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Amy Morris.
Speaker 1: And I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg Daybreak