Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Let's get to a conversation with Larry Kulp, chairman and CEO of GE Aerospace. In an exclusive interview with Bloomberg, he passed through the issues lingering over the aviation industry. Here's Culp speaking with our own Husbland.
Speaker 1: I mean in Singapore, Larry, when he comes to the aerospace industry, it's been settled with supply chain disruption, supply chain issues and challenges. When will we see the end of those challenges?
Speaker 3: Well, in many respects, it's all about demand, and we look out both in terms of demand for new engines under wing on new airplanes and the support that we provide the airlines for their existing fleets continuing to be strong.
Speaker 4: Really for the rest of this decade. It's a good.
Speaker 3: Problem to have, and we'll need to increase our output. We'll need to work with our suppliers to increase their outputs to us. I think every year probably between now and twenty nine or thirty at a minimum, so it'll be with us for a while.
Speaker 4: But I think we're making a lot of progress.
Speaker 1: The thing is some had anticipated and ended the problem by twenty twenty seven, but By the sound of it, it's going to be longer than that. Perhaps we could see a lost decade for the aerospace industry. Would that be a fair assumption.
Speaker 3: I don't think we're going to lose a decade by any stretch. Again, I think given how strong demand is and the progress we and others are suppliers, our airframeer customers are making will continue to drive output again because the demand is so strong. We'll talk about the supply chain, but I don't think this will be a lost decade. I think this will be a very important decade as the industry recovers from the pandemic, modernizes fleets, expands fleets with more fuel efficient aircraft.
Speaker 1: But realistically, what can be done.
Speaker 3: Well it really for us is all about making sure we're the best possible partner, the best possible collaborator with our suppliers. The vast majority of the input challenges that we have, the shortages that cause us to be late on deliveries really come from about fifteen different suppliers across our supply chain. We have five hundred and fifty engineers going in to work with those suppliers. Identify bottlenecks, identify constraints and really solving those problems so that we can drive better output from their operations, inputs into hours and in turn to the airlines and the airframers.
Speaker 1: Let's talk specifically about the latest supply chain disruptions and shortage and that has to do with the costings of high pressure turbine blades. What's the story there? When can that issue be resolved?
Speaker 3: Well, I think there are a host of issues. Again, when you look across the supply chain that we're managing, We've got about fifteen different suppliers across a number of different commodities, which are really where we're being paced. So I think in every instance, I really like the progress that I'm seeing teams collaborating on the shop floor identifying the issues that are really the problem. It may be a process yield in some instances, it may be something as simple as staffing, perhaps a second shift, and others. But by working those problems together, we're driving better output. We had a small handful of suppliers just here in the most recent quarter where we increased our output sequentially by eighteen percent, not year over year, but from the second quarter to the third quarter. It's that type of work the cumulative effect of that type of work, which will help us.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to the costings, that issue could be resolved in the next give me a timeframe.
Speaker 3: I don't want to talk about specific commodities with specific timeframes again, because the demand curve steps up every year for the rest of this decade. So even if we were in a position where we had solved a particular shortage, there's going to be more demand, thus more output required next year. So we'll need to continue to drive those capacity expansions, those process improvements for quite some time. But I think we're fortunate to have that sort of outlook in our business.
Speaker 1: The aerospace industry is also seeing of the challenges. We're seeing fulty pots in planes still in s is. How concerning is that for you?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a high priority for us because some of that activity has actually involved engines, and just a couple of weeks ago, our Supply Chain Integrity Coalition issued a report had a series of recommendations that we think will improve the safety and and the security of the supply chain. Not many people appreciate that what we do it's not only manufacture engines, but we support those engines for twenty sometimes thirty years over their entire life cycle. So the services, the parts, the repairs that we provide in the aftermarket are a critical part of what we do for the airlines, and we all need to make sure that there are no counterfeit parts in that supply chain. And that's a good bit of what the coalition the Coalitions work was aimed to do.
Speaker 1: Is there some sperhaps that it is a sign that we've reached the limit of innovation on conventional aircraft for instance.
Speaker 4: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: I think that if you look at what we're doing, just say, in the narrow body segment with our leap engine, we're providing a generational step function improvement in fuel efficiency. It's part of the reason that demand is so strong, because airlines not only want to expand they want to modernize because of that fuel efficiency, which also translates into real sustainability gains. We have been very public over the last three years about our next generation narrowbody engine, a program which we call RISE, which is really stands for Revolutionary Innovation and Sustainable Engines. So there will be new planes that come to market probably sometime in the middle or the latter part of the next decade. We want to make sure we're investing today in the technologies the innovations that are going to provide the next step function improvement in fuel efficiency and thus sustainability.
Speaker 1: Letter we know that ge powers the Triple seven X. Its delivery has yet again been delayed, extending the delay to about five years. Now. How confident are you that perhaps those planes will be delivered in twenty twenty six. What's the complication there?
Speaker 3: Well, I think there's a lot happening there. We'll let Kelly Ortberg and the team at Boeing talk about the schedule for the Triple seven X. I think their last comments talked about an entry into service in twenty twenty six. We're thrilled to be the only engine underwing with our new nine X engine. When I talk to customers, they tell me two things. They love that airplane and they wish they had it yesterday. I think the fact that customers are very key to see Boeing work through the development and the certification tasks that lie ahead of them is really good news for Boeing. Is good news for us because that's going to be a heck of an airplane once it enters into service.
Speaker 1: Allies like Kathy have expressed a disappointment. I mean, is there a sense? I mean, are you confident twenty twenty six is actually viable?
Speaker 3: That's the plan that we're working on with Boeing. We know that's the plan that they're working on with every ounce of energy and dedication that they can provide.
Speaker 1: You talked about your nine X engine. It's been problematic as well. There are a few challenges there that have been cracks. Can you talk us through what is happening, what the root cause is, and how are you trying to fix it.
Speaker 3: I think you may be referring to a piece of equipment that is attached to the nine X engine, which is a Boeing supplied part, not a GE Aerospace supplied part. So the engine has performed very well over the last several years. It was certified back in twenty twenty. There's plenty of work that we still need to do to be able to ramp side by side with Boeing, but in terms of the core integrity of the engine, we're in very good shape.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that it is not on GE to fix the problem, it is on Boeing to fix that.
Speaker 3: I think I think the crack that you're referring to is a function of a Boeing supplied component, not a ge engine.
Speaker 1: Do you see when do you see testing resuming for the Triple seven X. Is there is there a sense that you're getting in your conversations with.
Speaker 3: Boeing that's really for Boeing to speak too publicly in terms of the schedule for that the resumption of that testing.
Speaker 1: Larry, although you talked about how are you optimistic about the outlook for the aviation sector, talk to us about the kind of demand you anticipating and which region is driving that optimism.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's really a global phenomena. As people have traveled more and they've been keen to travel all the more post of the pandemic. We're seeing the airlines work their assets, fly those planes like like never before. And at the same time, we're seeing airlines around the world, but particularly here in the Asia specific region and in the Middle East, looking to expand their fleets of both narrow bodies and wide bodies.
Speaker 4: That's all good.
Speaker 3: For the industry and why I say that this will really be a demand driven challenge, a challenge we happily accept.
Speaker 4: For the rest of this decade, Can.
Speaker 1: You put a number to it? Are you as optimistic now as you were at the start of the year for instance?
Speaker 3: Certainly more optimistic again because we see the flying public continuing to fly. Just the comments from the airline CEOs the last couple of weeks, in conjunction with their earnings calls, has reiterated that bolishness. And every customer that I talked to that has planes on order, be they Airbus or Boeing airplanes, are very keen to see those planes delivered and those planes added to their fleets.
Speaker 1: So what Asia versus Middle East versus Europe I mean in terms of growth?
Speaker 3: Well, certainly Asia pack and the Middle East I would say, is outgrowing what we're seeing in North America and in Europe in terms of new airplane delivery, and probably also at this point in terms of traffic increases.
Speaker 1: Are you concerned about growth because the IMF has just cut its growth projection for the year. We're seeing countries like China, for instance, undergoing a sluggish economy having great difficulty turning around its economy. Is that impacting kind of demand that you're anticipating.
Speaker 3: I think at this point we don't really see those economic concerns directly material impacting demand and our industry. Again, because the life cycles of these machines are so long, the order books really reach out into the next decade. Now, that could change, and we're not either oblivious or completely immune from some of the economic pressures that people are concerned about. But at this point, we really think that we have a strong undercurrent of demand on both the new make and on the aftermarket side, which should continue for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 1: When you speak to leaders in the business world, a lot of them say that one of the risks is actually the US election. How are you assessing that risk to your business?
Speaker 3: Well, we'll have an election here what a week from tuesday, and we'll get on the other side of that. Ge has worked with both Democratic and Republican administrations for over a century. So whatever the outcome, I know, having been born in Washington, DC, that we will will move forward as a company and we will work with whatever administration's in place, as we have over the last several gues.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter who the president is. It doesn't matter if it's Trump and his perhaps is his plans to impose TARIS and China. That does not impact how you view your business, does not impact your strategy.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that we'll see how the winning candidate moves forward from a policy perspective. I'm highly optimistic that will work constructively with whoever wins the election.
Speaker 1: I'd like to touch in China, it has big ambitions Comac C nine one nine. So if we've seen orders of about three hundred coming from the big Chinese carriers, what do you make of that number?
Speaker 3: Well, it would suggest that the Chinese carriers like that airplane. We'd like to think one reason they like that airplane is because we have our leap one sea engine underwing sole source in that regard, and I think Comac and the Chinese are quite serious about their intentions with that airplane. And that demand that you just cited really is the beginning of the market acceptance of that aircraft.
Speaker 1: Do you think it can be a game changer? Do you think it will reshape the landscape in the aerospace business?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that we will see over time how successful Comac and the market acceptance of that airplane is. But it would be very foolish, I think, to bet against Comac and their customers.
Speaker 1: What are its biggest challenges well, I.
Speaker 3: Think anytime that you bring a new aircraft to market in a marketplace as complex as ours. Again, as we were talking earlier, there is not only the ramping of the supply chain to produce more of those airplanes every year, but the regional and ultimately the global support network that those airplanes will require that's.
Speaker 4: Going to be that's a serious undertaking.
Speaker 3: I think Komac understands that clearly and will do everything they can to master that challenge.
Speaker 1: Larry Colp, we thank you so much for your insights today.