Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 2: What a pleasure this is to welcome back to the Armstrong and Getty Show. Katie Grimes the editor in chief of the California Globe. Katie a long time investigative journalist covering the California state capital. She authored a book, California's War against Donald Trump, Who Wins and Who Loses? And is a just terrific read at The California Globe. Recent article, Democrats don't want the public to know they're protecting pedo files. Great, Scott, what is this all about? Katie Grimes joins us, Hey, Katie, how are you?
Speaker 3: Hey? Joe Getty doing well? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm terrific for listening, folks.
Speaker 2: Jack had to jet off to a follow up appointment for his eye surgery, but he's doing great and he'll be back tomorrow. But that's a hell of a headline. Democrats don't want the public to know they're protecting pedal files.
Speaker 1: What are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Well, it is in quotes, and I quoted Assemblyman Bill a Sale from a Assembly floor speech yesterday, or not really necessarily a floor speech. He forced the Assembly to try and to vote, or he was trying to on a bill that he has which would end sanctuary protections for illegal aliens convicted of sex crimes against minors. So it's kind of a mouthful, but the bottom line is the Democrats, not one Democrat in the Assembly yesterday would consider having a debate about this and voting on it.
Speaker 2: All right, let's not jump past that the bedrock of this too quickly. So California extends sanctuary status to illegal aliens convicted of sex offenses against child the children being child rapists.
Speaker 3: Essentially, well, essentially, what it is is California passed the law a few years ago that phibits law enforcement from working with ICE agents. So even if they have a sex crime illegal alien in their custody and ICE shows up, there's like no cooperation happening. And so it essentially, according to assemblymen, as Faily offers sanctuary protections for these people.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely horrible.
Speaker 2: And the assemblyman just wanted his bill to be heard and debated, but I understand it got kind of hairy on the floor as he was trying to do that.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was.
Speaker 3: Quite a sight. And when this happens in the Assembly or the Senate, it's very telling. So when he was just reading the motion, that he was making to allow the Assembly rules to be suspended so that his bill could bypass the committee process because they won't hear it in committee and instead be heard on the floor. The Speaker pro Temp cut off his mic and told him to stop it and accused him of trying to debate, you know, the issue right then and there, and they continued with his mic cut off. So he had to yell his motion across the Assembly floor, for which they did grant a vote, and that's what was voted down, that the rules would not be suspended and his bill would not be heard.
Speaker 2: Wow wow, I think is that another quote from Assembly in a sale He said it's been languishing as Democrats in the Public Safety Committee refused to hear it quote because they know I'd bring angel moms and county sheriffs to testify, and they just don't want the question to be asked, right, That's exactly it.
Speaker 3: So the bill did sense, it did get assigned to the Assembly Public Safety Committee, but the committee won't hear it. They won't put it on the calendar or the agenda, and so that's why he tried to force this yesterday. He did have a mother there whose whose son was killed twenty two years ago by an illegal alien, and you know, she's a living, breathing testament to the fact that this is still, twenty two years later, a massive issue in California.
Speaker 2: Well, and it doesn't have a chance of getting out of committee or getting voted on or anything like that, which is just testament to the one party banana republic politics that California is dealing with these days. Is there more to that story, Katie, or are you up for moving on to other fair.
Speaker 3: We can move on. I will just one last little not is there were thirty members of the Assembly yesterday who refused to vote no. So thirty spineless human beings who wouldn't even put their yes or no vote out there. And I included that in the article if people are interested.
Speaker 2: To know who California is ungovernable, so you write a fair amount. I love reading you on California Globe. What recently has really got your attention and fired up that you've.
Speaker 3: Written about, Well, all kinds of good news coming your way from me to the California Air Resources Board is going to add another f defense onto our gas taxes. It's their clean air tax, aren't you excited.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, How certain is that to happen? Is that one of those aspirational uh plans? Or do you think that's actually gonna hit the gas pumps?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: They already voted it. It's been approved by the unelected board, which does not have the authority to pass taxes, but they did. And yeah, it's it's supposed to hit the uh, the tax board, I think in June.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just it's it's it's so mountainous at this point, the misgovernance of California and the the mobbed up feel of the legislature and all.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know, it's just so discouraging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, I find it extremely discouraging. It's it's why I write the articles that I write. It just trying to expose what they're doing or not doing. What they're you know, the the bs that they're addressing U, you know, on the Assembly, for all kinds of DEI garbage and social welfare crap instead of what's going on with the California economy. You know what the governor isn't doing. You know, he's jetting off to you know, climate change conferences with the Pope instead of staying here and governing this horrific state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, r Katie.
Speaker 2: Katie Green brought us a story just a few minutes ago about the one hundred million dollars or so being dumped into this anti hate hotline foolishness. And I've tried to describe this to people in various ways, and I'm sure you could do a better job or a different job of explaining how government NHL menke and my hero is so great on this. Government will identify a problem, real or imaginable or imagine rather, and they will say, well, we must solve this. This is a terrible problem. We are going to devote this money to this solution, including something as dopey as a phone line. But the point is not solving the problem. The point is handing out the money, isn't it exactly?
Speaker 3: And that is one of the things I focus on free It's this. The story that Katie Green reported on is one I covered. We actually have a division of the California Civil Rights Department called California Versus Hate, and I wrote about it last year when the governor and the first partner were hawking this ridiculous hotline where you know, if you've been the victim of hate. You can call and report it. And I called it, you know, the Department of Snitches again, real or imagined hate, And they've got people investigating this, and so really, what it's about. It just celebrated its first anniversary. They did receive ninety one million dollars in grants for to put a stop to hate. Because ninety one million dollars, absolutely, you know, strikes the fear of God in me and my hate. And really, what it's about, Joe, is they're ramping up for the twenty twenty four election because anybody who doesn't vote the way the Democrats in California vote are haters and they're anticipating a lot of calls about.
Speaker 2: Politics, right, and anybody does vote that way gets paid through some phony program or another. I can't imagine what hilariously dopey efforts they're going to make it eliminating hate. Will it be posters or public service announcements, or will we just not ever see anything of that money? Will it just kind of disappear into the pockets and cronies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it disappears into NGOs, And in this case, some of it might go to local governments for their efforts to eradicate hate. Also, again, super subjective doesn't mean a thing at all. You don't eradicate hate. You don't say, oh, I wish there would be no hate in California and then send money on it. So no, it's it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: So the snitch line you got my attention, though, So if Jack annoys me in particular, someday I can call the snitch line and say that he's been discriminating against me because of my Presbyterian heritage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if that's a protected category, Joe, Well, they might not be that interested. Yeah, I know. Well they said that last year they received over two thousand calls, a thousand of which were actual hate issues, so plenty of people are I mean, I would have thought there'd be millions of calls, but yeah, ninety one million dollars for two thousand calls, half of which were even qualifying for real hate.
Speaker 2: That that that well, that ought to be on the California state flag instead of a bear. I'm not sure how you would portray it, but what a beautiful symbol of the current state of affairs. Katie Grimes of the California Globe. You must, you must, you must bookmark California Globe dot Com, read it, follow it.
Speaker 1: It is realistic, it is not partisan.
Speaker 2: It's smart, and it's a it's a fun read and a kind of perverse way, just because you know, as Katie was discussing, they're getting away with it, but they're not getting away with it completely because somebody's shining light on it.
Speaker 1: So well done, Katie. We really admire what you do.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot, Joe.
Speaker 2: All Right, you got it, and let's talk again soon, okay, please, yes, thank you, all right, thank you the fabulous Katie Grimes, Armstrong and Getty