Speaker 1: Alson media.
Speaker 2: Dark woke is back, ten more years of liberal supremacy, bankers in control in the great nation of Canada. This is it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis. I'm joined by James Stout. We are discussing the twenty twenty five Canadian election, which I maybe slightly exaggerated in the opening there. But the election did happen yesterday or two days ago whenever you're listening to this. I was up all day on on CBC and on elections dot Ca checking in on all the charts and all the stats to see how this how this kind of upset election went, and oh boy did it go. James, how much do you do you know about Canada and elections?
Speaker 3: But both of the things, the things that I have some knowledge about. I've been to Canada twice. That's a fellow common World member.
Speaker 2: I guess. Yeah, we are both citizens of the Commonwealth. So there we go.
Speaker 4: Just kind of have a queen on the money. Queen is dead, dead.
Speaker 2: Queen Queen is dead, but yes, we do have.
Speaker 4: Queen on money money. So that's another thing I understand.
Speaker 2: We have a parliamentary system like yeah, like do I say England or like Britain or UK.
Speaker 4: It's a yeah, it's a United Kingdom. I think would be the institute that Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Speaker 2: Well we have one of those two, but it's less confusing because it's just one country. We don't try to be three countries like like you in the UK, Britain and England.
Speaker 4: We're a continent, let a mini continent. That's what we're going for. We've left Europe. We're on our way to the Caribbean slowly.
Speaker 2: Oops. Yeah, luckily Canada is doing just fine. Uh. The debatable, but certainly this election has has gone probably slightly better for global stability and stopping the advance of farign populism then certainly what it looked a few months ago for people WO don't know. Yes, Canada has a parliamentary system. People do not elect the prime minister directly. They elect the MP in their district, which is called a writing. It's a first past the post system, so whoever gets the most votes in each writing they get their representatives. Since to Parliament, the party with the most representatives they take control of the government and that is who the Prime Minister is and the next Prime Minister of Canada will be Mark Karney, who assumed the prime minister rule like last month, winning the Liberal election after Justin Trudeau resigned in January, and before we get into some of the results, at first, a little bit of an election kind of background. So Liberals have been in power for nearly a decade, slowly getting less and less popular as the cost of living has risen. Last election in twenty twenty one, the Liberals kept their minority government, but the leader of their party, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, continued to decline in popularity. By the end of twenty twenty four's approval rating was just twenty two percent or net negative fifty two. Conservatives were up twenty five points in the polls. It was a near certainty that they would sweep the next election. Trudeau announced his resignation on January sixth, kind of the January sixth of Canada if you think about it. Former banker Mark Karney won the party election in March or twenty twenty five. Carney quickly called for an election to write off the peak of anti Trump sentiment sweeping across Canada. This was following Trump's talk of annexing Canada. And the global trade war and tariffs directed at the American neighbor upstairs next door. I don't know, yeah, downstairs south, No, from America. It's a oh I see, yeah, okay, yeah from Yeah, got it understand, which is maybe a northern standpoint. But who cares.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: This election or an election, would have happened by oct Over twenty twenty five regardless. But calling it early was a smart move by Liberals as this was the first time in three years that they had led in the polls. Support for other third parties like the Keebuqua Bloc and the National Democratic Party the NDP had slowly been shifting towards the Liberals, and we saw this in the results Monday night. At this point, the Liberals are projected to win one hundred and sixty eight seats, falling barely short of the one hundred and seventy two majority. There's still, as a time of recording, still a possible path for them gaining a majority government, but it's fairly unlikely. It'll probably be a minority government. The Conservatives have won one hundred and forty four seats, the Blackabiqua twenty three and the NDP a measly seven, with the Green Party snagging one. Liberals also secured the largest vote share, forty three point six percent of the vote compared to the Conservative's forty one point four percent, though because of a vote efficiency basically how spread apart certain votes are, this has still led to much more seats for the Liberals than the Conservatives. Right, if you have more Conservatives voting in a district that's going to go Conservative anyway, those extra votes don't necessarily mean there's going to be more representation in parliament. That's the vote efficiency idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first plus supposed to is a very bad system as electoral systems go. It leads to an awful lot of votes not counting for any representation. Like, for instance, to Garrison Davis, party could have fifty one percent of votes in all ridings and I could be there at forty nine and I would get zero MPs.
Speaker 2: Basic, Hey, sounds fine.
Speaker 4: Sounds fine by me, Garrison Davis in control.
Speaker 2: Well, this is kind of what happens in Canada. The election system in Canada is pretty swayed towards the Liberals because of how much more dispersed they are versus you know, most Conservative supporters in the western Provincesaskatchewan, Alberta in BC and a growing presence in ont But yeah, the Liberals kind of always get a bit of a boost in the election. Now, we did have record high early turnout in Canada seven point three million people cast their vote early during Easter week. The full turnout is higher than it was the past few elections. But it matches pretty much to the twenty fifteen election. So to get a majority government you need one hundred and seventy two seats. This allows you to not have to worry about like no confidence votes which trigger new elections, and you don't need to work with other parties to pass legislation. Now, this will probably be a minority government with the Libs having to work with a small number of remaining and DP and Block seats to run the government, which one could consider a good thing in terms of being pushed maybe towards some better policies rather than just like liberal supremacy. But it also in its government will be more unstable and it kind of gives the Conservatives more room to wiggle. So it's definitely a mixed bag. As reporting first came in for Atlantic Canada, it showed that this would be a tighter race than what the Liberals were hoping for. During election night, it seemed Conservatives were on track to pick up two seats in Newfoundland, though in the end the Liberal incumbent barely kept their seat, beating the Conservative challenger by twelve votes. In Terra Nova the Peninsulas. The Libs did fare much better in Quebec, though they flipped eleven seats. This was the best performance by Liberals in Quebec in years now. Conservatives gained some seats from the Liberals in Ontario under Doug Ford, with Conservatives flipping seats around the Toronto suburbs. One of the biggest stories of this election was just the complete NDP collapse the progressive kind of democratic socialist New Democratic Party. They're currently projected to lose seventeen of their twenty four previously held seats. The NDP basically gave Carny this election. Jack met Singh lost his seat. That's the leader of the NDP. He lost his seat to Wade Chung, a Liberal, and stepped down as leader on Monday night. Part of what makes this such a big setback for the NDP is that because they failed to win at least twelve seats, they actually lose official party status in Parliament. Parties have to win at least twelve seats to be recognized as an official party in the House of Commons. Official parties get to have offices in Parliament, extra staff, They get to ask questions in legislative sessions and can sit on committees. Now, the NDP did previously lose party status in nineteen ninety three, winning only nine seats in that election, but this performance was slightly worse, getting only seven. So this is going to be a big shake up. The NDP is going to have to be forced to rebuild, which is maybe necessary based on kind of a degree of NDP stagnation the past decade. They're kind of caught in like twenty seventeen politics in my opinion, though saying did lead them to pass some significant legislation and progressive policies do have a degree of popularity in Canada. The NDP was polling about the same as the Liberals just three months ago. The movement that we're seeing is from NDP voters scared of Polyev and Trump, so they moved to Carney to avoid splitting the left vote, as Carney was seen as more capable of beating Polyev than the NDP leader sing and certainly Justin Trudeau.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Funnily enough, some of this quote unquote strategic voting actually did end up splitting the vote in a place like be seen specifically Vancouver, which recently has gone strongly NDP. But this year the Conservatives were able to snag three seats because enough previous NDP voters ended up going liberal in an attempt to gain a Liberal majority, but that resulted in neither the NDP nor the Liberal candidate actually individually getting an enough votes to win the riding. Let's talk about vote share compared to the last twenty twenty one election, so Liberals did fairly well this election, especially compared to previous ones. They gained over ten points compared to the last election in twenty twenty one. Conservatives also didn't do badly, actually like they actually did. Okay, this certainly wasn't the result they were wanting, but they did not do bad. They gained over seven and a half points this race. Reliable conservative voters still voted conservative and they were able to siphon off some support from other parties, with Conservatives doing slightly better than what polling predicted, but a lot of very close races across key districts. Now where all those extra votes or vote movement is coming from is all of the third parties. The Green Party and the Blackapiqua both dropped over a point, The far right People's Party dropped four points and the NDPP eleven point six huge huge losses for the NDP. Most of those voters probably going liberal, although some may just not have voted. One of the more interesting parts about this election is that the Conservative Party leader Pierre Polyev lost his parliamentary seat. He lost to Liberal Bruce Fanjoy by about four thousand votes. Oh damn, four point six percent of the vote. So this is going to probably cause a bit of an upset in the Conservative Party. There might be some maternal conflict over whether Polyev should continue as party leader, though he did not step down from that position during his concession speech Monday night, James, do you do you have any thoughts here before we pivot to ads.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't be such a like scene of such a humiliation for the Conservatives if it wasn't for all the polling until maybe like a couple of months ago.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, The reason why it's such an upset. Is because they were like a destined to wear as almost like divinely written into fate like three months ago, and the fact that they fumbled this is gonna be like a massive like historical footnote, not even a footnote. This is like a historical topic. Is how conservatives fumbled this election?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like people.
Speaker 3: The thing is that the Liberals want despite people having been pissed off with them for a long time and wanting something different.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, because people would just like mad at Trump.
Speaker 2: And we will talk more about the background of the lead up to this race and in those dynamics that James mentioned in the next segment after these ads, Okay, to talk more about the lead up to this race and Trump's influence on this election. I talked with Lance from the Serfs of fellow Canadian who talks politics just as much as I do. So here is that interview that I recorded just a few hours before the polls closed in Canada.
Speaker 6: Hey, my name is Lance. I run a number of different channels, usually under the banner of the Serfs. There's YouTube dot Com, Slash, the Surf Times and at the Serf TV. On most other social media, I cover news, politics, internet slop, usually from a dumpster fire like perspective.
Speaker 2: And you're Canadian importantly, Yes, I am, I am. I am Canadian, but I have been resigned to living in the States for quite a while. I actually just had some Canadian family visit me, and they kept making fun of me for living in the States, specifically because the States are trying to, you know, take take Canadian territories seemingly. So now I'm getting a lot of hate for my Canadian family members for living in America, which is interesting.
Speaker 6: I was going to say, it's got to be a scary time to be living in the United States as a Canadian citizen a little bit.
Speaker 2: I am I am dual, but we'll see how long that matters. So I want to talk talk a little bit about kind of the background of this election, because I think this is maybe the most interesting Canadian election in the past ten years, specifically because of how much the results have always felt it inevitable, but the actual results have like flip flop three months ago, four months ago, I'm sure that me and you may have predicted probably something resembling a conservative sweep. Not to put words in your mouth.
Speaker 6: Well, minority or majority government led by the Conservatives, know no question, that was where all the major polling was trending, and then the exact opposite on this.
Speaker 5: Roller coaster election in both directions.
Speaker 6: I think it's it's pretty easily explainable, especially to your American listeners who might have been wondering what was happening. Essentially, the country had a combination of burnout on Justin Trudeau and the person who replaced Justin Trudeau, Mark Carney, effectively took the number one campaign. It was the actual campaign slogan of the Conservatives away from him immediately after being crowned the new leader of the Liberal Party, which was ax the tax, which is what you know, fascist Millhouse, who we call Pierre Pollievro over here. That was his big campaign promise, The Conservatives were going to ax the carbon tax, and that had a lot of people excited, a lot of people didn't like Justin Trudeau. And then along comes Mark Carney and he takes both of those things away from the Conservatives. He's not Justin Trudeau, and he acts the tax and so they had to kind of completely reset. And this was before the wild card of Trump shows up, ye, which of course now is caring not only Canada but the world. I would say like most countries now are kind of having to completely reset how they think and want to do geopolitics into the future because of his policies.
Speaker 2: Well, and I know, like a decent chunk of the Alberta economy is now in great jeopardy because they can't sell fuck Trudeau merchandise.
Speaker 5: Which was dropping up the entire economy outside of the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know if you go to the oil, which will probably be fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess could talk a little bit about kind of what led to this universal hatred of Justin Trudeau in like the past like like five years, just like ever so briefly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for conservatives, a lot of it really became increasingly more intense with COVID, and I think internationally there was an association with very basic safety protocols and tyranny. So I guess some people the United States and Canada both saw the idea of wearing a mask g having to wash their hands as some sortom of dictatorship akin to some of the worst war crimes ever committed on any population. That made a schism happen, where the sentiment kind of really started accelerating towards less of you know, blaming Trudeau for everything, kind of like Obama that used to be a joke, like Trudeau to actual fuck Trudeau merchandise, and the idea of you know, Trudeau being an enemy of the state and a communist dictator that was on the right side of things. On the left side of things, everyone got burnt out from Trudeau because the performer of progressive politics of his entire character, he was very vocal about standing up for a lot of issues that on one end he would you know, pretend to care about, such as indigenous rights, land backs, stuff like that, and then he would be suing the survivors of residential schools in federal court to try and prevent them from getting too much money from the federal government. So there was a lot of Trudeau seems to performatively enjoy being perceived as someone who's enlightened and progressive and trying to steer the society in a good direction, where his policies are effectively exacerbating wealth and equality very rapidly, because that's effectively what you get with neoliberal centrists.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like to go back to that COVID thing like I was in Calgary and like spring of twenty twenty two, and I was getting made fun of in like bars and clubs for like wearing a mask at that point in time, like and that is that is Alberta. But yeah, no, that was definitely like strong. We certainly saw degrees of that here in the States as well, but yeah, you know, it's a little bit of that. Like general anti incumbent sentiment was growing so much last year, which which you saw levied against the Democrats in the States and certainly against the Liberals. And the way that the Liberals in Canada have kind of been able to maneuver away from that in the way that like the Democrats haven't is super interesting. It's not necessarily like replicable, especially for US politics, but it's still as interesting. I guess. Like on the Conservative side, their leadership changed in twenty twenty two, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think so it was it was twenty two or twenty three, but I believe it was it was around.
Speaker 2: Them that's when plivertcame became leader of the Conservative Party, which is like you know, closed ranks and like coalesced the past ten to five years or so, and they've been they've been gaining a large it had been gaining, you know, a large degree of popularity the past two three years, not necessarily because of who their party leader is, but because they are simply not the Liberal Party. At least that's kind of what it seemed like to me, because like approval ratings for Paul of Aara's never been like great, but the Conservative Party has still been gaining popularity, at least previous to the past few months.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't want to play, you know, give the far right any kind of kudos or points, but I think from an analytical standpoint, something that people should realize is that within the last i'd say year and a half or so, Pierre was really really effective at doing faux populism in a way that a lot of people were starting to get very worried about, Yeah, and that he was starting to see a lot about the working class, you know, the housing crisis in the country and the fact that the Liberals are out of touch elites who only care about enriching themselves, and you know, a lot obviously you'd have a lot of the right wing kind of nebulous terms like woke ideology being tied into that kind of stuff. But he was for a long time kind of starting to gain a lot of ground in traction as more of a moderate style conservative who was concerned with helping the working class, which is astonishing considering the man is a lifelong.
Speaker 5: Politician like that, that is who he is.
Speaker 6: He was making fun of people like the leader of the Social Democrats here drug meet Singh. He was making fun of him for just working for a pension and not even caring about the people or the working class. The man is never marched with the union I'm talking about here. He's never marched with the union. He is a you know, his voting track record is decidedly anti worker, it's decidedly exacerbating wealth in the quality. Has worked his entire life to make houses more expensive. But marketing and branding really work, especially like you know, there's compilation clips of him saying things that are JK rallying tier in terms of both their nonsensicalness, Like talking about how electricity is crafted by harnessing the power of the lightning bolts into the wire that the electrician holds up.
Speaker 5: Very cool, Yeah, very cool, four like powers.
Speaker 6: I'm on board, but like, unfortunately that's just not how we usually generate power in this but like it works on some people. They like to see a man who've fakes owan like different kinds of wood and tools, you know, like at Tucker Carlson esque.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got a would shop in my back and it's like that.
Speaker 6: Well, no, I think this is the first time you've ever seen that lumber, sir. But as you know, again, some voters, they really started his rebranding in that respect actually worked pretty successful for yeah, the last year and a half against Trudeau.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a pretty substantial makeover the past the past few years to make himself like presentable in this way. Yeah, very like carlsonesque, very like Ben Shapiro goes to home depot and gets some wood. Yes, it's definitely pulling from that vein, although maybe a bit more successfully and like, at least from my perspective, it feels like the degree to which Pierre kind of hitched himself to like the Trump populist wagon the past few years, especially like with like sentiments like growing in like the Western provinces, that kind of mirrors some of the Trumpian rhetoric. That type of stuff was getting popularity. And now because he put if not all his eggs, but some of his eggs in the Trump basket. This is like backfired in like popular opinion when it comes to his ability to succeed as like a politician and like gaining support because we've seen so much anti Trump polarization based on like the fifty first state stuff based on the tariffs, and like Carnie has been able to weaponize that pretty effectively against against Pierre. Absolutely like it. Initially, like the way like popularity points shifted was like by like twenty points, which was like huge. Those have gotten closer, But.
Speaker 6: I think it's one of the biggest reversals or if not the biggest reversal in Canadian political history. Was the dominating lead they had from having it almost an assured majority to now perhaps losing to a liberal majority, which again is unheard of. Yeah, one thing that people are also kind of missing is that he also really closely started associating himself with Elon Musk.
Speaker 5: Prior to Leader of you know, the US or whatever you want to call him, the real.
Speaker 4: President of the United States.
Speaker 6: But he had a number of rallies and on the record praising Elon Musk prior to Elon Musk. This was pretty Elon Musk overt Nazi era kind of more just like Nazi light eraser.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: But around that time, Pierre was asked, like, what do you think about being endorsed and praised by Elon Musk, And you know, he started making jokes about how his kids want to go to Mars, so that's pretty cute, and started talking about how he wants Elon Musk to build more factories and plants in Canada. Well that's all really coming back to hurt him now, because the very idea of there being a stronger TESLA presence in the country is decidedly rejected by the populace. Like, you know, the protests that are going on in the United States against tesla's are going on here as well. Maybe not as large scale or perhaps as fire based, but a lot of them are occurring here, and so like that I think is also really hurting him. So there's been this really funny, strange political dance that's kind of happened in the last couple of months where everyone is trying to say Trump loves you more. It's like a circular firing squad. Like at one point the Conservatives were trying to market themselves to saying Trump was making fun of Pierre in this clip, so look he hates Pierre More. Yeah, And then another it was like, oh no, no, look he's talking a lot of smack about Mark Karney. He hates Mark Carney Moore. So that that has actually become a very strong dynamic of the Canadian election is who exactly does Trump like more? And that's not going to be good for you if it turns out you're the one.
Speaker 2: I guess I'd like to talk a little bit now at the end here about Mark Kearney himself and kind of what this means for like the Liberal Party. He was the Governor of the Bank of Canada, starting into as an eight Then he became governor of the Bank of England and managed them through the Brexit fiasco. Brexit was not his idea. He was not pro Brexit, but he just happened to be holding the reins of the of the Bank of England during that time period. Returned to Canada, has served as like an informal advisor to Trudeau and now is the is the leader of the Liberal Party. He's a very I don't know, he tries to like project this sense of like he's like a like like a reasonable man, which which which he you know, in some ways is like he's like he's like kind of boring. He works in banking. He's not like overtly charismatic. But he doesn't have like the the like youthful, like bumbling presence of like Trudeau. Like he just he seems he seems kind of basic. I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean that's a good way of putting it. Yeah, you're totally right. I mean we're talking about a lifelong banker. I mean, he's even worked for gold Mill Sacks. He has a yes, a very long and started well. I mean, in some view, it depends on your worldview. Right, if you are as a person who thinks that the solution going forward, especially in the face of actual manifesting fascism, is more neoliberal policies, austerity and measures, then you might be very, very excited to perhaps get your own, like honestly Joe Biden style election here where we are once again going to be choosing center to center right economic policies that are going to undoubtedly exacerbate wealth and equality more. They are not going to solve the housing crisis. The housing crisis of Canada, while it is portrayed constantly as complex, really goes down to fundamentally there are a lot of houses, but there are also a lot of houses being built in luxury markets that most people can't afford. Speculation is not addressed, and so speculation usually gets blamed on foreign investors, which in turn kind of brings up the whole immigration fears, which are very successful. But with Carney, I mean, I don't see anything dramatic. Not only did he acts the carbon tax when he was in power initially, and that was again, I think, strategically to remove the power the Conservatives had on that policy. He also is getting rid of the capital gains tax, which again is just going to be funneling more money towards the ultra wealthy in Canada. So the problem for me is that, if anything, I'm happy that p here it looks like he might not win. I don't know what by the time people are listening to this, what the results are. But I also recognize that this does not solve these crises. For simply putting band aids on a pause before finally a Trump of our own gets elected and then yes, people after the facts start realizing, oh, Oh my god, he's doing a lot of the horrifying things that he promised he would do. He's actually trying to enact Project twenty twenty five. All these terrible things are happening.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, I mean, if this was an election.
Speaker 6: Where it looked like Pierre was going to win, I would say he is going to follow through on all the aggressive measures and more that he's promising right now, which include, you know, suspending the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to people that he deems should be worthy of receiving freedoms. Specifically because, like Donald Trump, he wants to begin silencing people for their speech in relation to protesting against Israel and their genocide of Palacidians, especially if you are an immigrant or someone on a student visa, and these policies you can see they're a disaster after the fact, and people I think wake up to them like Americans are right now when they realize Trump's actually doing it. But you know, make no mistake, it doesn't require, you know, too long of the increase in out wealth and equality for people to look for an answer because they're not being listened to by the libs or the liberals here.
Speaker 2: No it is interesting that how much this election has almost mirrored the American two party system with the Black Keebuquah as well as the MDP, like probably most likely right this is before the results, but probably going to be losing seats to both the Liberals and the Conservatives. And like, I think like a big part of this election I think is similarly looking back in the past ten years, is how much I think the NDP is frankly fumbled and probably needs to do a major overhaul to really regain trust in the voters. And yeah, it's going to be tough because I think, like for the Progressives in Canada, it's kind of been convenient for the Liberals to have a minority government because then they need to work with ENDPT.
Speaker 6: And they've gotten the law accomplished to be fair to Chuck meet Seeing and you know, they're for American listeners, the Social Democratic Party of Canada, they accomplished some great things working in a minority government setting, including a pharmacare program, including a federal feeding program for children, a school lunch program, you know, working on paid family sickly even extending it. So they've done a lot of good in sort of enacting progressive policies. But it's the Liberals who are also equally as good at taking credit for all the things that people have come to really like, such as having dental care for the first time and having cheaper firementcare and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Lance again for talking with me about the Canadian election. It's time for one more ad break and we'll come back to discuss the future of the Canadian government. Okay, we are back. Let's talk a little bit more about Trump's undue influence in the twenty twenty five Canadian election, because it is a little bit odd for a foreign leader to be exerting this much influence in the votes of, you know, a separate country. Now, this was an election that was previously about liberal stagnation and wanting change in economic policy. This was kind of leading the conservative popular support the past two three years, and very suddenly this whole election changed and it became about to who Canada trusted to oppose Trump and who Canadians wanted to be like the face of Canada in this new global trade war and this fight against a hostile neighbor. And Trump did not help this. On election morning, Trump released a statement basically endorsing himself as the leader of Canada.
Speaker 4: Oh great, saying quote.
Speaker 2: Good luck to the great people of Canada. Elect the man who has the strength and wisdom to cut your taxes in half, increase your military power for free to the highest level in the world. Have your car, steel, aluminum, lumber, energy, and all their businesses quadruple in size with the zero tariffs or taxes. If Canada becomes the cherished fifty first state of the United States of America, oh no more. Artificially drawn a line from a many years ago. Look how beautiful this land mass would be. Free access, with no border, all positives, with no negatives. It was meant to be. America can no longer subsidize Canada with hundreds of billions of dollars a year that we've been spending in the past. It makes no sense unless Canada is a state.
Speaker 4: Man Trump the border appelationist.
Speaker 2: This is the rhetoric that really produced a liberal victory, and Trump did kind of back off this stuff in the past few weeks, and it's very funny to see him go like full throttle the morning of the election, in case anyone was like on the fence about whether they really was worrying about like Trump. This just this says like such a crazy hell, Mary. And we can see this in some polling stats. On Trump's inauguration day, the Conservatives in Canada were leading forty four point eight percent in the polls compared to the Liberals twenty one point nine percent to end the NDP's seventeen point six But as Liberals searched for a new leader and as Trump took office, the Conservative lead slowly started to slip. The CID began referring to Canada as the fifty first state, called the Prime minister quote unquote governor, and threatened to impose huge tariffs to stop a non existent fentanyl smuggling crisis through the Canadian US border. By April, the Conservative lead had fully flipped over to the Liberals, who rose to forty four percent in the polls, Conservatives falling to thirty seven percent and the NDP around eight point five. And these are pretty close to the final results. This number is very accurate for liberal support. Conservatives got a little bit more than thirty six percent of the vote and NDP got a little bit less than this eight point five. This is according to data from CBC and Abacus this was very much a leader's election, meaning that one of the biggest factors driving votes was who people wanted the prime minister to be, and Mark Carney is much more popular despite being kind of an unknown figure, which kind of actually helps in popularity, Carney's was so much more popular than Polyiev. The past three months, Carney has steadily gained in popularity, getting forty six percent approval, whereas Polyiev has slowly declined in popularity. I talked about this a little bit with Lance, but the degree to which he's aligned himself with this like anti woke, like far right populism rhetoric really bit him in the ass these past few months. He would have done fine against Trudeau, certainly, he was really writing off that like anti incumbent wave, but he is not like a loved figure across Canadian politics, even among some conservatives. The two most important factors driving Canadians vote, according to Abacus, was reducing cost of living and dealing with Donald Trump. Younger voters seem to be more focused on cost of living and changing policy, around fifty seven percent of voters eighteen to twenty nine, while older voters around fifty six percent of boomers were more concerned about stopping Trump. The very first topic in the Canadian Prime Minister debate was tariffs and US threats to Canadian sovereignty. This is seen as like a very real issue up there, and like hatred against the US is genuinely growing, like like people are very upset. Canadians are very upset about what Trump and the US has been doing. It's being seen as like a genuine like like intense betrayal. The by Canada movement's been gaining a lot of support with people trying to only purchase Canadian products and this has resulted in a real cultural moment in Canada united against the United States.
Speaker 4: It's genuinely remarkable. Like the Canada, the US have always had pretty good relations for it. Well not a waste they have.
Speaker 2: Well ever since that one, that one, yeah, yeah, yeah, they thinks they've improved it in and like it's what's remarkable.
Speaker 4: It seems to be having an effect in Australia as well. And if you've seen that, but like I think I saw an ad the other day that just said Duston wants to make Australia like America, Like straight up you know that this is our Trump and able to align with Trump, Like, yeah, it's incredible.
Speaker 2: The degree which Trump doing this global trade war has catalyzed negative sentiments around this, like far right populism, glo global wave that we've been seeing has really been a boon to neoliberal htch enemy the past few ys.
Speaker 3: You'll see like any I mean obviously, like I take voter interviews in like legacy media with a huge pinch of salt right, it's pretty easy to find someone who wants to say what you want them to say. And often, you know, certainly some of the US voter interviews have just been ridiculous, but like people saying, oh, I just want to go back to how it was, Like I want to go back to, you know, the things that we're used to. And obviously Trump is training that for a lot of people, and like in a very negative way. And so you and as Garrison said, like the politics of personality is becoming more important, like voting specifically for individuals who they think will have like the negotiating ability or just break or like whatever it is to stand up to Trump.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And like in Canada, I think it's less personality driven. Like actually Canadians are very against personality politics. Yeah, it's more like competency driven. And this is where Carneie was really able to succeed. It's because he's not a compelling personality, but he is like a professional and that is why he was elected. Carneie helped Canada whether the two US and eight financial collapse better than almost any other Western nation. He is genuinely good at his job of being like a neoliberal like bank economy guy, and specifically with these tariffs. This is the guy that you want to handle this global trade crisis because this is like what he has done his entire life. He's never been elected to office before. He is just an economy guy. And we saw this in like head to head matchups with Carnie versus Polier rating certain things like finding common ground to solve a dispute, where carne was twelve points ahead adding up to a bully Carney's eight points ahead. Managing household expenses Carney six points ahead. Sitting beside you on a long airplane flight Carneie six points ahead. Captaining a ship through a rough storm Carneie five points ahead.
Speaker 4: That's what you need. You need a seafarer only five ahead on seafaring.
Speaker 2: Hosting the best party Carney one point ahead, and we'll see.
Speaker 4: This is reminiscent of that, Like was it like Tim the plumber shit from like the bush pail in election? Like the people I would want to have a beer with.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the funny thing is is the concerns are still better in like those types of like physical things like putting out a kitchen fire, polyb is up to and putting up a shelf. Polyv's up six. There's the only two one speasured where the conservative candidate edged out the liberals is putting out a kitchen fire and putting up a shelf. But all other things like solving disputes, standing up to bullies, managing like expenses like household expenses. Carnee Carney came out. I'm going to read a few lines from Carnee's celebration acceptance speech here, and I'm just gonna read them and not play clips because he blends English and French and that's going to be annoying. No offense to our French speakers out there. Yeah, Garrison, it's gonna be annoying to play for a podcast. It's not gonna do for the kbra Qua crowd quote. America wants our land, our resources, our water, our country. These are not idle threats. President Trump is trying to break us, so America can own us. That will never happen. We are once again at one of those hinge moments of history. Our old relationship with the United States, relationship based on steadily increasing integration, is over. The system of open global trade anchored by the United States, a system that Canada has relied on since the Second World War, a system that, while not perfect, has helped deliver prosperity for a country for decades, is over. But it is also our new reality. We are over the shock of the American betrayal, but we should never forget the lessons. We have to look out for ourselves and above all, we have to take care of each other. When I sit down with President Trump, it will be to discuss the future economic and security relationship between two sovereign nations, and it will be with our full knowledge that we have many, many other options than the United States to build prosperity for all Canadians. We will strengthen our relations with reliable partners in Europe, Asia and elsewhere. And if the United States no longer wants to be in the forefront of the global economy. Canada will unquote and yeah, this is the type of rhetoric that's going to be I think successful in Canada right now and probably in the next few decades. Is Canada is going to try to take the spot that America used to hold as like the center of like global power, especially with climate change, with you know, crop crops slowly slowly needed to be moved north. I think as as as global warm progresses, Canada is in a spot to be like a new emergent like world power. And with the degree to which America is just kind of giving up that role under Trump, remarkable, someone like Carney is very interested in in gaining that degree of superiority. Now I'm gonna I'm gonna read a few comments from our listeners who I asked to send over their thoughts on the Canadian election. And yes, this is a limited sample, sask It's based on the politics of people who listen to this show. But I still think there's some interesting points here outlining what's happened in this election. Quote Mark Karney might not be far enough left for my tastes, but he immediately made gas cheaper, a tangible improvement for my brokeass, and with the way he's been pulling, I'm settling on voting for him to keep the Conservatives out with their stated anti woke agenda parenthesis bigoted. Not like I have much choice. I would have loved to be picking here about my vote, but I don't feel confident in the NDP or the Greens to come out on top of the cons Another person said, quote, I can't believe the country seems to be rallying around a neoliberal central banker in the face of American fascism, But our resentment to the US seems to kind of override all other political considerations. So much of the way this election is panning out is a display of our culture's profound inability to take necessary risks. We're running scared to the serious administrator, man in the blind hope things will be safe and normal again. When he fails, will take a late and stupid risk again. Unquote. And this is something I've seen other people express, is like with this kind of Obama esque, you know, serious man in charge, this like return of neoliberalism. Will this just set the stage for like the material conditions for someone like Trump to emerge in the next ten years. This is a fear that I've seen people express. I don't think it is an inevitability, because this is not America in twenty twelve or twenty sixteen. This is Canada in twenty twenty five. The world is different, but I can understand this fear. Lastly, I'll read one other comment or from Blue Sky quote. I understand the drive to keep the Conservative Party out of office, but I'm also terrified of what the Liberal Party will do to this country if they can keep campaigning on that very basis in perpetuity. It's good that we will probably avoid the worst. It's terrible that progress is on hold until the Conservative Party is no longer a contender, which could take decades. I also do not expect the Liberal Party to meaningfully change the conditions that are pushing voters towards reactionary politics. To be again with unquote so kind of a similar sentiment there. I think that the role for progressives in Canada right now is either to rebuild the NDP or infiltrate the Liberals, probably rebuilding NDP in most cases because they are going to have to have new leadership and seriously reevaluate their strategies going forward. James Any notes here, I guess, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Think like I guess kind of to echo what a lot of those people said, Like in the US, we had Biden for four years, right, essentially because he was elected on not being Trump, and he was able to get away well, he thought he could get away with more than he actually was able to get away with as it turns out, electorally. But like we were admonished to vote for the person who wasn't Trump, right, and what we got is open air detention for migrants. What we got is inflation, and what we got is a genocide in Gaza, right. And this fear that a lot of other nations in the global north right, like these liberal economies are feeling, is going to lead to lots of that, like, yes, we need a serious man like we needed, we need a statesman to stand up to Trump, and that's going to reinforce a lot of that neoliberal orthodoxy, and that's going to make it very hard to make any meaningful progress to electoral politics in those countries for the next few years, which sucks.
Speaker 2: I think this is why some people are excited about the minority government, although it is less stable. Yeah, they could be swayed by some more of the progressive agendas from the NDP because they'll need an NDPU or block cooperation to run the government.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they can't do a by the date which like I mean.
Speaker 2: Also like Carney isn't Biden like and in the Canadian Liberal Party is is not necessarily the like American Democratic Party. Like that, they're they're different. Stuff on Gaza is different, like that the Canadian Liberals have have restricted arms, arms trades and arms deals to Israel the past year. Carney is not thrown trans people under the bus the same way some Democrats have the past year. Like these are these are different people. I think, you know, Canada is a different country than the United States. And I think what we can see here is that this Canadian election, although it was close, it still was a rejection of Trump's style polities. Most Canadians do not want Canada to go the way of America. There's there's been a subset of Canadians, especially in Alberta and and and Saskatchewan, who have been trying to push for this like mega style like Canada first rhetoric and and this was denied I think you were seeing more support for conservatives under Doug Ford. With this more like moderate conservatism. I think that's something to like watch out for more. But like this, this Trump style of politics was was rejected across the country and and Carney was able to figure out a way to make people trust him to be a genuine like combatant against against Trump and and usher in a new a new golden age of neoliberal trade in the face of Trump's Trump's chaotic and and anti market sentiments.
Speaker 3: Hopefully it does put an end to like this, this tendency among liberals, especially in the US but also in the UK, to like feel that they need to engage on right wing culture war talking points and like I guess quote unquote give some ground, Like we've seen that in the UK right with like really transfer big ship commit at a labor party, and like I would hope that like people can see where this leads to and that they're not going to vote for liberals who go throw trans people under the bus and like that that will be like a deciding factor in their support.
Speaker 4: But I guess that's just my hope right now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and frankly, you know, a better liberal party or a liberal NDP coalition would would be would be willing to engage with the idea of like taking trans refugees from these extremely hostile countries, which is just something they've they've not like, you know, publicly talked about. But as as things get worse in the States, we will, we will see. So yeah, but that is what I have to say as a as a Canadian who lives in the United States. My thoughts on the Canadian election, you know, it could have been worse. Is it is odd to see Canada almost accidentally replicate America's two party system. So even if this was a rejection of Trump style politics, this this this climate of fear did result in replicating America's two party system, which is kind of interesting the amount of which, like the third parties lost support, with support going just towards conservatives and liberals. That is, you know, one of the big stories of this election. The the NDP blowout one of the big stories and pauliev losing his seat. I think is it is at least the very least a nice cherry on top for this for this election.
Speaker 1: It could happen. Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media. Visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you.
Speaker 5: Listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.