Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Garth.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome to I Choose Me. This podcast is all about the choices we make and where they lead us. My guest today is pretty much incredible, a reality TV icon, an entrepreneur, an actress, a mother, a wife, a voice of reason to so many, and an advocate for the LGBTQ plus community, which is amazing. You know her from multiple seasons of the Real Housewives of Orange County and our podcast Let's Talk with Heather Dubro.
Speaker 1: Here she is in front of me. Let's talk Heather Dubro. I just did your podcast. Yes, it was amazing, loved having you.
Speaker 2: If you guys didn't hear it, go over and check it out on Let's Talk with Heather Deubra.
Speaker 1: But do you say DEBRAU to b This is why they took me. When Terry and I got married, it took me like fifteen years to change my name because my name was Heather Page Can. It's a good name, that's a great and it's not even a stage. That was my name either. Page can't Ether Page Can and I meet Terry and we get married, and it looks the way it's spelled it looks like dubrow, like eyebrow, and I hated that, so I said, down, my go, if you change the spelling to like d u b r e a u X like du bleau, I'm totally in. Yeah he would know. So it took me like fifteen years. Then I finally changed it.
Speaker 2: Well, I like it dubro dubro yes, like hey bro, heybro. Yeah, the spelling really does throw me every time.
Speaker 1: I lo, that's okay.
Speaker 2: We were talking so much and we had such a great conversation, so definitely check that out. But I realized I came here thinking, oh, I'm so excited to meet her, to get to know her. It's not the first time that we've met, so embarrassing for me.
Speaker 1: Correct it was a long time, but I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: You're not mad at me about it, and now you're like, you'll just tell me and remind me.
Speaker 1: And now now I remember, Yes, we go way back, yeah, way back, like almost twenty years. It's so good. It's so good. And I did learn.
Speaker 2: I feel much closer to you now because we never sat down and had these kinds of definitely these amazing talks.
Speaker 1: So I'm really.
Speaker 2: Excited to be able to do that today with you and getting to know you. I love the woman that you are. You're You're inspirational, You're what you're doing with your platform and as an entrepreneur things that you're doing. You have your own fashion line. You've done amazing stuff with your husband too, which I love. I've always wanted to do work with my husband. He's in the restaurant world. So it's not really Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you don't have anything. Well, it's funny. I thought I married a doctor. I didn't. Really, I married like a TV star. It wasn't on my Bengo card, but I created I'd say he's my Frankenstein, I say sometimes. But you know his show Botch was really born out of Housewives really well, I mean yeah, kind of because he and Paul Nassif, who's ex wife was on Beverly Hills Housewives, and we've known them since before they got married a long time, so you know, that's really how that was born. So what that platform has done for us is you know huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can I say something and you won't get mad at me? No, I've never watched really anywhere, yeh, don't. It's embarrassing to say at this point, because it's it's a monster.
Speaker 1: It's everywhere, It's everywhere, and I have such.
Speaker 2: Profound appreciation for it because I understand what it takes and the women, so many of the women on it are just bad ass, amazing women. But I've never watched an episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I watched like the first season of Beverly Hills because we knew Paul and Adrian, and I was like, oh, like, you know, let's watch them. So we watched like the first season, I think, and that was it. And then when I joined Orange County, I had never seen Orange County. I knew nothing about it. And so was that the second iteration of it? It was the first Orange County to the original it is. Yeah, this will be the nineteenth season of Orange County Housewives. Wow is that crazy? And I started the show when my youngest was nine months old and he just turned fourteen. You are a completely different person when you started, completely different. But I was on it and then I left and then I came back. Okay, why did you leave? I left because it had just changed and my kids were at an age where, you know, it's like sort of an awkward stage and just the universe. I've become really good at listening to the universe when they're telling me yes or no, because when I haven't listened, it hasn't gone well. And it was really time to go. So I left, and I left for four seasons, but with the pandemic it turned into five years. So when I went back to the show, it was literally ten years from the date I joined, which was, yes, a decade later, completely different person. But I came back to the show because I really thought I could use the platform to start conversations in other people's families. Because we have four kids, there are different genders, different sexualities, and all with things. And I got so many messages from kids and parents, some really wonderful and some so tragic of things that had happened in their families. And I thought, Okay, if we just put our incredibly normal family, people have something to model, they have something to look at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just did an interview, I think with today dot com about the diversity within your own family and what an impact that has had on so many by you just talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even just being there. So I had a friend in high school that I was friendly with. We weren't like great friends. We were friendly, and we've become very good friends later in life. And this friend told me that they, well, they're gay. And they told me that they didn't understand being gay when we were in high school because they didn't have any role models on TV or in movies, nothing to look at. And they told me that they had decided that by the time they were a senior, if things had gotten better for them, they were going to take their own lives. And I never would have thought in a million years that this incredibly confident person that I knew and now know would have ever felt that way. But it's because they just didn't have anything to say. This is who you are, it's okay, it's okay. And so I thought, I don't have to get on a soapbox. I don't have to use my children as storylines. I don't have to tell their stories for them. I don't have to do anything. We just have to be be who you are, authentic. Yeah, and that helps people, and it does. And I've been able to do things on the show, like through an event last year on the show for family equality and presented at the GLAD Awards this year. We're doing something with the Trevor Project and being able to do that kind of thing and using the platform for that is amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard other women say that too, that it's because of the platform that they were able to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's nothing wrong with using the platform for fame, fortune, you know, whatever floats your boat, Like, that's totally fine. But me coming back into this situation, that's what it's been for me.
Speaker 2: I think that's such a brave choice, but not so much brave because it's just your family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just I feel like I've been given these kids for a reason. We were talking before on my podcast, like I didn't or maybe it was even before we started recording, you know, I started late. I didn't know we'd have four kids. And it's just interesting what life gives you. And then you think, why.
Speaker 2: Tell me about that though, Tell me about you were an actress full time, that was your jam, you were doing it, you were killing it, you'd been doing a lot of work, and then you had a baby.
Speaker 1: So I yes. So my last show was a show called That's Life. It was on CBS. I started the show and it was like one of the shows you and I were talking about, which is seventeen hours on set. You're up at three thirty in the morning. There's no social life. Xhausted. And I loved every second of it, every second. And that show got canceled and I was in pilot season and figuring it out. You know, We've been trying to get pregnant. We had infertility and whatever, and I was like, I need a break after going to the fertility doctor and doing all the things. How old are you thirty four? Okay, right? And so I took a little break and then we were like, fuck it, let's we're gonna do. We have to do IVF. That was the next step that they told us, because we had done all these you know, I UIs and all these other things whatever. So I put it off and then finally I go, let's do it. And of course the day I schedule, you know, to have my embryos and my eggs extracted, I think for the IVF, I get a network test and I literally went to the procedure in the morning, anesthesia not fun. Woke up from the anesthesia, took a few hours at home, put on my makeup, had a driver because I wasn't gonna drive, and went to the network test, did not get the part. I would like to tell you it's not a great ending. But the great ending is I got pregnant. So yeah, that took. And you know, it's funny because sometimes you don't even know what to wish for, you know, like you want the part, I want the baby, but you were really keeping things open. You were like, yeah, see what happens, let's roll the dice. And so I ended up getting pregnant with twins. Oh yeah, And I got pregnant with the twins, and we were living in LA and you know, the rest is sort of history.
Speaker 2: I love that you are very honest, You're a very straight shooter, and you have good advice, Like I've already had things that I'm going to go and check out that we talked about. Well, what did we talked about earlier? Not unpacking your suitcase right in a hotel room.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, you have to be careful of the upholstery because of bed books. Yes, got to watch for the bed books. That is just so gross, and but it's it's so gross. But we had bedbugs. Want a small is what happened? We were we had just moved into this house and I had this beautiful headboard made by a local upholsterer from my daughter who was three, and it was this pink, beautiful upholstered headboard with diamonds in it. It was so cute and it was a local person and I just said, hey, I bought the fabrics. I don't know. That room came together last for some reason, and I guess he made it in his little ware. Anyway, there were bed bugs because my little cute girl, with her little chubby cheeks, she'd wake up in the morning and have all these bites on her face. And I was like, what is going on? And then of course we're looking it up. I'm looking it up, and if they're in a line, they say it's bed bugs. And now I'm freaking out because if you look to see how you have to get rid of bed bugs, you might as well just burn everything and leave. It's just it's a disaster. So I call this company that someone told me to call, and there's a dog that they have come to your house to sniff out the bed bugs. Okay, So I'm like, all right, So I call the place and they and I'm expecting like a doberman, like some big gnarly bug seeking thing. I open the door and it is I am not kidding a poodle. It is a small poodle.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 1: And the person with the lesion, I'm like, really, it's a poodle. Poodles go all right? So they bring the dog in the house, and the dog they bring him upstairs. The dog is upstairs, immediately goes to the headboard, to the headboard, starts stiffing around. They take the headboard out, they take it out to their truck. They slice it open and there's bedbugs. So now they take the dog back up to the room and the dog doesn't find anything. Because I'm like, do I take the mattress out? Do I call the guy? What happened?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I just never used him again. I would think you would have at least called him. And I think he knows he has been bugs. How does he not know he's infested with bed bugs? It was so gross, It was so disgusting. But anyways, that sounds or disgusted. I had to get her a new headboard, but I did.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a question, what is the best advice you've ever been given? Oh, that's a big question.
Speaker 1: I know that is a big question the best advice, I mean, there's different categories of advice. I think. I think one thing that sticks out in my mind is that my mom told me, well, two things. My mom told me two things that I thought were very very good. One was be careful who you date because you can fall in love with anyone. Okay, good advice, which really is good advice because you know what, like all humans have beautiful qualities, and yeah, you can find all the good qualities. Yeah, and you can look yes, yeah. And when you if you have a life, pat you have things in your life that are important to you, and like, like, all right, just off the top of my head, you want children, right, and you meet someone who absolutely does not want children, you should not date that person. That is a red flag because you will never convince this person to have children. It'll never be harmonious. No, no, you can't do that, So be careful who you do. Okay, good, That was that's number one, right, And then number two, and this one I think is very very important is to have friends of all ages and all stages of life. Because you know, when you're younger, obviously you're friends with people your age. It's developmental when you're super young. It's I can't think of the word I'm trying to look for right now. But it's like, you know, you're in a certain grade of school when you're older, or a certain you know, a part of your life where you're in college, so you're friends with college people, or you've just you know, you're graduated, and your bubble can get really too small. Yeah. And it's funny because I remember when I was younger saying to my mom, Oh my gosh, your friends, that couple that your friends with there so old, Like why are you friends with them? And she said to me, no, it's so good. They have a different perspective. And so I have always made sure I have people in my life that are older and that are younger. I was, you know, recently when we moved back to la you know, we were talking about going back to scripted work, you and I recently, which I really do want to do my own terms, as we both discussed, and what makes sense for my life now. So I joined the Groundlings, and I audition to the Groundlings, got in and started taking class with the Groundlings. Oh my gosh, you're so brave. You should do with me. Wow, I can't even answer that. No, you should come take a class. Okay, wait, just tell me what it's like first. It's I'm gonna get back to that a second. But here's what I'm going to tell you. I took the Groundings, and I did it with a girlfriend of mine, also an actress. You might hurt, but my friend Dina, who we've been friends for a million years, and not only do we have the best time, it was all I call them kids. They were all the kids in the class. They were kids, and they were great, and we'd go out with them, we had dinners with them, we'd go to drinks. We'd be like we were joking, like smoking a cigarette, like we don't smoke anymore, but you know, like, oh, darlings, in the few days, you were the old people. We were the old people. They were the young people. It was but you know what, I didn't feel any different than they were at all, right, And it was unbelievably fun and honestly, like I ended up doing this little musical thing with one of them because she wrote this show like it was just such an interesting fun Yeah, really bold, fucking scary thing to do. But I'm sort of in that mindset. I really encourage you to do this too. Like I just started taking so I started as a musical theater person. I was a singer and a fourteen piece big band that I toured with fears. I'm taking vocal lessons again. It's terrifying. I love this though.
Speaker 2: It's a whole new You have the time now, you are at the phase I'm like making the time.
Speaker 1: Almost an empty nester, but I'm making the time. You're so busy. I'm so busy. We still have the kids even if they're not at home.
Speaker 2: But do you feel like you're like consciously choosing what it is that you want to take the time and do, like making those brave decisions and choices.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing what fits so Okay. So I like, like, I can't take the next Groundlings class right now because I have other obligations right so I'm putting it off until May, and I'll do the next one in May. But I know in my mind it would do that. So I'm like, Okay, what day do I free and what do I need to prioritize here? Okay, and then I'll try something and if it fills me and feeds my soul, I do it and if it doesn't, I'm out. You don't need to waste time because you know the you don't need to waste time. And didn't you feel like when you hit fifty it was like I got nothing to lose. Right, it's halftime, yep. Got to gather the troops, put them in the locker room and go, Okay, what do we do well last court? Last half? What didn't we do well? We gotta move forward and there's something different. Yeah, there's no more time to like stress about it or feel upset about things that didn't go well. Right, I just keep moving forward. You have to keep moving forward. I'm not always good at this, but I'm really trying to consciously make sure that every day. Like sometimes you know when you wake up in the morning and you go, oh, what do I have to do today? I go, what do I get to do today? I go what do I get to do today? And even if it sucks, I'm trying to find like something within the day. Like I'm obsessed with plates right now. Oh that's a good obsession. Yeah. I used to be into running and all these things, but my body can't handle it anymore. So you know what that's Okay, I've realized that there's different ages and stages for fitness also, right, And now I'm obsessed with pilates. I love it and I love this place I go, and it makes me happy when I'm there. So even if that's the only great thing, that's how I'm gonna start my day.
Speaker 2: It's hard to say I get to go to the gym today, all right.
Speaker 1: If you hate it, but you could say no, I get it. I used to hate it too. I had a switch with it a number of years ago because I never was a workout person. I never liked it. Had to hate hate hate. But then when like orange theory became a thing, I started going there and I really developed a love for like running and the hit thing and whatever. But my body started breaking down from that kind of exercise after a decade of that. So now I'm into this and this is great for your body, and it's you know what, you get to lie down for half the class. I really highly recommend me. I know it's dark. It's like dark too. There's this like hot mat class that I go to. It's so good. I thought you were going to say something about the instructor, but okay, oh, the mat. No, there's no hot instructor, no class. I mean it's usually women, which are women, they are hot, but like, yeah, yeah, I'm not looking for that. No, so anyway, so yeah. So But even if it's not that, you have to build something into your day, even if it's you or like frothed coffee that you love that you sit and you scroll, or you whatever it is that you that guilty pleasure thing that you do, you got to focus on that thing. Yep, that's so true.
Speaker 2: Have you ever given advice to someone who didn't want it, like, and that backfired for you?
Speaker 1: Oh? I'm sure a million times that's happened. I really, What do you mean? You're sure? Because because I'm so outspoken, you know, and when I was younger, I'm sure I felt like, if I'm perfectly honest, that I knew better than someone else did and had the best advice. I think I've become much better at listening as I've gotten older. Yeah, reading the room maybe, and reading the room and not being so verbose about things sometimes. You know, it's okay to not tell everyone exactly you want, you think, but if someone asks for my opinion, I'm happy to give it right, there's a difference. There is a difference. Yes, if someone comes to you and asks for advice, they want your expertise on something, they want your perspective. Yeah, And if they don't like it, then they really didn't want it in the first place, and then that's fucked right. Well. And also they if they don't take your advice like they don't, well they don't have.
Speaker 2: To take they don't have to take it, but it'd be better for them if they did, right.
Speaker 1: But I mean, don't you say that with your kids? Sometimes, like my eighteen year old will come to you and be like mom, and then ask me this whole thing, and I'll listen, and I'll think to myself, what does she want mess here? But then I'll give my honest advice and then she'll say yeah, no, no. But what I do notice is it will still make her think. It'll be in the back of her mind, yes, and it might inform right she ends up course, of course, but they'll never admit it.
Speaker 2: No. What about this marriage of yours? You have been married to the same man, sorry, because that's not the case for me.
Speaker 1: The same man over every day every day. How do you do it?
Speaker 2: Like I love change, and I feel like I've changed my husband's a few times and that's been really fun.
Speaker 1: But how do you stay with the same man for twenty four we're together twenty eight years? Twenty eight Yeah, we've been married twenty five and a half. Yeah, marriage is hard work. I will say, you know we met we didn't. I mean we met when I was twenty seven and he was thirty eight, so it's I wasn't twenty two. We got married when I was thirty Again, wasn't twenty two. Now I can give you a million reasons why I think we're together. I think the honest to God truth is marriage is a leap of faith and you have absolutely no idea what you're getting into until you get into it. Nope, yep, at all you have. You have the best of intentions, and that's why if there are red flags before you're walking down the aisle, do not do it.
Speaker 2: No. I know it's hard to do though. Sometimes there's a few little red flags. Maybe they're pink, I know.
Speaker 1: But that's why I hate when I hear people get married fast, and I don't understand why people rush into marriage. Yeah, and the truth is, when you have a child with someone as you know, that's the forever moment. Marriage is not necessarily forever, right. I don't understand why people like they meet, they want to rush, they want to get into it. I will tell you that there's certain moments in a relationship you don't get back. You don't get back the courtship period, and you don't get back the engaged period, because it's once you're married, then you're just married. Then it's just ticking of time. So I highly recommend that people enjoy all of those things. And again, if there are red flags that means it is not time to get married, you got to figure that out. Yeah, like dig into those red flags before you I mean like I didn't have those red flag of course when you're dating someone. Yeah, people you know, they urk you. You got to figure out if you can live together, you know, all those normal sort of things. But you know, like we were talking about before, if someone is saying they don't want to have kids, you want to have kids. They don't like to travel. You like to travel. You are very active. They're a couch potato. They like to have guys' nights or guys weekends every weekend. You know it depends on what's important to you. Some people like I can't remember who I just read an actress she just got married last year. I have to think of her name. And she and her husband live in separate states. Huh, and they love it and it's perfect for them. They both have their own careers. He's maybe I don't remember what he does, but anyway, they both have very significant careers and they're great and when they come together, they have the best time and they love each other. But this is how their relationship works that model. It's not me to judge what will or will not work for someone else, but for me, like I could not have been with someone that didn't want kids. That would have been a hard note, even though again I wasn't someone that was like dying to have children my whole life. But I just felt like it was something I would do. At twenty seven, you said, did you know what you're like, what your non negotiables were? No, not at all. That's why I'm saying it was a leap of faith. But I think that wait, wait, wait, how long did you wait till you got married? So we dated for a year and a half, okay, got engaged and then we were engaged for a year and then got married. But remember he's ten and a half years older, so when we got married, he was forty, so it was like it felt okay. I think if he had been my age or a couple years older, we probably would have waited longer to get married. Yeah, that's what I think. You learn a lot about I did all the things you said we shouldn't be doing. I got married.
Speaker 2: I got engaged three months into a relationship and married six months and two.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That and you were young. And when you're that age, it wasn't that young, this old. This was in my early forties. This was my current.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, this wasn't you. But you're still together.
Speaker 2: I told you I like change. He doesn't like when I say that because he gets little nervous. But we're still together.
Speaker 1: How long have you live? Been together? Ten years? That's a long time. It's funny, I interviewed. You want to know what's crazy. I haven't had an alcohol week two weeks right now, and I think it's given me brain fog. Not drinking No, no normally or Norman Lear famous Norman Lear, adorable who passed away last year. Anyway, Norman Lear who you know who I don't know normally er he created a million television shows all in the family, like a million TV shows love him, like the King of the sitcom and he lived to like one hundred and one. Anyway, he was on the show and we were talking and he was talking about his failed marriages and he was worrying about one wife in particular. When I go, how long were you married? And he said thirty years. I go, that's not a failed marriage. That's thirty years is a huge long life together. When marriage was created, people didn't live past like eighteen. I don't think it was intended for people to be together for fifty six years. It is, you know, not the norm for people to be together. What do you get divorced after three like they call it a gray divorce. It's very I just ran into someone last night who was telling me that his parents are getting divorced after thirty years and they're in their seventies, and it's called it's a new thing. They're called it a gray divorce, like gray hair. Uh huh that older people like they just they hit a wall and they're like, or no, I'm done. Yeah, how many years I got left by bye, not doing with you. I love them. That's so funny. I feel bad for your husband now I'm worried, but I really do like this great divorce thing. Yeah, it's always on the table, you know, a few years. But you're well, we'll never go great. Let's be honest, that's not really in our future. I'm gonna go white, Betty, No, you're a gorgeous blonde. Just keep it stop. So so we I think it's a leap of faith. I think that we've been lucky and we have really done a good job of upping our game decade by decade as it's been needed. And that's been so good for us because neither of us are like therapy kids. Like we didn't go to therapy, our parents didn't really talk to us. We're like flying by the seat of our pants here. But I think both kind of you know, reasonably intelligent people, and him for sure, Hyer Transurgeon and we separately have come to each other at different times and been like, look what are we doing with this? This isn't working. You know, what's going on with you? What's going on with us. It's really important to date your spouse and that continue to date Terry believes in going to sleep mad. Some people don't. Some people want to fix it before does he explain why. He thinks that's because he thinks the end of the night, it's a bad idea. And he's right, you're tired, especially you've had dreams or anything. It's just it's not the time. Yeah, daytime is better, you know, learn how to fight healthy. Yeah, and you have to learn each other's fighting styles and you have to meet in the middle somewhere. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You learn so much about a person as the years tick. You think you know everything and then you learn something new.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I have to say, like, we're best friends. We do you know, we've done We've written three books together. We you know, it's our hobby. We've done TV shows together. We love that we have product line together. We sell supplements.
Speaker 2: And you're like, relationship goals. Have you ever done like a like a couple's retreat?
Speaker 1: No? No, like saying like bring back the fire? No? Nothing, like like like's a host water go to to one?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Would you know what we do? We just go to Paris? Oh? Yeah, have some time together. Yeah. We're really good, really really good at dating each other. And I have to say, you know, I because I wasn't working for a bunch of years when the kids were little. There was like I mean, I did a couple of pilots that kind of thing, but I wasn't like steadily working. There was like a seven eight year period of time where I was just home and he, you know, is a surgeon and he was at work and like busy busy. So except for that period of time, we've been really good at taking time together. And because he wasn't that he's not a baby person. Sweet, he's never don't want to make himself like a bad dad, Like he's great now that he goes he goes to babies. He hates children, but now that the kids are older, like he's the best and he's the best relationship with our kids, and he's such a good connected dad of this age and up that it's been so amazing. But I will tell you he loves me, and I say this very confidently, more than anyone in the world. And he would choose me over the children. Like if he stops loving me, he's not capable of loving because that's because that's him. That's got to feel like such a good place to be it's great and he has your back. He does you give a lot of advice. Who do you go to for advice? Him? I go to him. I'll talk to my kids sometimes, depending on what the situation is. I have some trusted people girlfriends in my life, depending on what the situation is that I feel really comfortable. I got burned a number of years ago. Look, relationships just like anything, you know, it's they go up and down. Terry and I don't fight about real things. I have to say, well, bicker like most people bicker. But there's been very few big, heavy things. But there was one once years ago. We were kind of fighting about being on a reality show because it took its toll, as you know, and we had to have a come to Jesus moment where I said to him, look, we either figure out how to do this or we get off this show because this it's not working. And during that period of time, I talked to who I thought was a girlfriend of mine about this, and she repeated things I said and twisted him and you know, started a narrative out there, and I was just like it, really that broke me, and it was very hard for me to open up to people about things like that.
Speaker 2: So I keep that tight tight. I think that's the best way to keep it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: My husband is ultimately like my best friend, and I go to him and gives me a different perspective than I have. He keeps me grounded, he tells, he calls me out. Yeah, just yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's hard to hear that stuff mind us too. It's so annoying, and it's really annoying when they're right. They're always right. Terry's always right. It's so annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what they say about marriage though. It's like holding that mirror up. They're the mirror.
Speaker 1: But then if you don't want to know, don't ask. He'll say that to me too, But that I'll say to him, And this is how we teach each other. Right, I'll go listen right now. I don't want you to fix it. I don't want to hear what you have to say. Just let me vent. I need to cry. I need to vent, and then you could do that. Just give me a minute. Yeah, that's good communication. Yes, you got to tell them they're not mind readers. If you expect them to be mind readers, you both lose, very very true.
Speaker 2: I think that it's important to maintain that independence from your husband, even when you are as close. I think it sounds like you're as close to your husband.
Speaker 1: I'm very good. Can't be codependent. No, no, I love time away from him. Yeah, but I feel like that happens with us. It happens sort of naturally, because of the hour, because of the jobs. It just kind of happens. But I have to say, I mean, I hate to say these things out loud, because you know, when you talk nicely about your relationship, it always goes to shit. You always fight that night. If you say so, I'm gonna just pooh poo poop. But yeah, but all I have to say is, like, we'll go away together. Like we were just in Paris dropping off my daughter at school and we spent some time with her. Dropped her at school. She's there for the semester, and when we dropped her, we ended up we stayed a few extra days because we love Paris. It's like our happy place. So we stayed there a few days and we came home. We fly home, we get home and we go out to dinner together. Wow, Like we just you like to be just like to be together. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm kind of the same way you just said your daughter is doing a semester in Paris. I had my daughter do a semester in London, and I was very difficult for me.
Speaker 1: Why. I don't know, it's just smelled so far away. Well, so my son, so the twins. So he my son went to Italy first semester and she's in Paris now. And at first I was like, could you coordinate to be gone at the same time, right, But then I realized I got to go to Europe all year and I love it, and you know, again like finding joy in things like we were talking about finding time for classes or finding time for this. I will go to Europe for the This is not relatable. I'm just gonna say this before. This is not a relatable thing. When I'm about to say, I apologize in advance. Ready, but I will go to Paris for the weekend if I have time for hits and giggles, if there's a thing like my son was done with his tour in Italy and it was my youngest son's birthday and I didn't really concept think about the fact we were going for a weekend, but I took them skiing in the French Alps for four days and it was like a long weekend and it was a long way to go, but it was so great and the two of them bonding and I went skiing for the first time and it was fantastic. And so now my daughter there and she's like, I'm lonely, I miss you, I'm homesick. I go I may have a weekend. That's the thing.
Speaker 2: Because you and I are both homemakers. Yes, we want our homes to be the sanctuary for our family. It sounds like we're very similar in respect. How what is it like when your kids they don't want to leave? It's so good where they were at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear kids want to stay here the like thirty Now. Honestly, I'm okay with it. I don't know. I want them to be close, but not that close. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well my daughter, yeah, well two of my girls are still at home, and our house is small and the bedrooms are all right together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There is no privacy, privacy, yeah at all. And they're cool with that. There.
Speaker 2: I did that on purpose because they were teenagers. When about the house UNDERSTI wanted to keep them close.
Speaker 1: You wanted to hear what was calling. I'm kind of like I knew more. Yeah right, but I want you. I like that you like change. It might be time to move. I have thought about it, definitely thought about it. Oh I love our conversation. Yeah too good.
Speaker 2: I have to ask you one last question, Heather Deubro, what was your last I choose me moment?
Speaker 1: I mean, Swiss alps ain't bad. Yeah, but that's not it. I really think it's going back to vocal lessons, and I would say just in the category I signed up for, like a bunch of things, a bunch of classes where I'm really choosing me. It's a really hard thing. I wonder if you feel the same way, where you know you want to put things out into the world to make them real and put you know, manifest them. But there's also a school of thought where don't tell people what you're doing, show them when it happens. And I feel like when I was younger, it was like, oh, I don't want to tell anyone because it'll jinx it or it'll this, or it all that kind of over that, like I don't really care. Like I loved when I told you that I'm doing this class you. You were a little horrified and kind of excited at the same time. Right, That's how I was. And I feel like i'm me by pushing myself out of my comfort zone and into these areas because again, we have nothing to lose. And by the way, and you don't give a fuck, I don't give a fuck. And if I could just toot our horns any collectively, like we look really good and we're talented, and we're thriving, and our audience watches TV, so why not. Yeah, I mean you said it, it's time to go back. I love that, right, So this is a first step. And what's also really great is remember when you're younger and you're like, oh shit, if something doesn't happen in the next six months, I'm done. Nothing will ever happen again. Where will I be? I'll shrivel up and die. Now you're like, I'm already all it doesn't matter. Three months, six months, next year, or whatever it happens, it happens. It's fine, exactly. Yeah, Oh you're set. You're just in a great place in your life. I can feel it. Yeah, so are you. It's so good. I love it. Thank you so much, Thank you for having me. I loved meeting you. I mean, well, now you really know, and yeah, I know you so well. I love it.