Speaker 1: Welcome to this League Uncut in the rule of twenty four hour NBA News. This's you, Chris Haynes. It's time, work's time. It's so time. This League Uncut is underway ten on five.
Speaker 2: This should be a good one.
Speaker 3: Hey, everyone, welcome in to a brand new edition of This League Uncut.
Speaker 4: Mark Steign here with Chris Haynes.
Speaker 3: We are taping at lunchtime on the East Coast on Thursday.
Speaker 4: Chris Haynes in Atlanta. I'm in Dallas.
Speaker 3: We've got Chris in a much more optimized Wi Fi situation now. So the many, many, many issues that we had in the last two episodes, including the near arrest of the.
Speaker 4: Star of our show.
Speaker 3: And obviously I'm saying that facetiously, but there was a flicker of concern during our last episode when Chris Haynes was the only person on the campus of Clark University besides curious security guards stalking him and wondering why he was doing his pod on an empty campus. But we don't have to deal with any of that today, thankfully, because it is the morning slash afternoon. After Chris Haynes was part of a Western Conference alt cast, I got to confess to my podcast partner here, I did not watch any of it.
Speaker 4: I wanted to.
Speaker 3: I saw that you as one of the co hosts of this alt cast, you were also in charge of lining up the guests, and you had Damian Lillard and Bobby Portis from the Milwaukee Bucks on, but I did not get to see any of it. So tell us, how was it, man, how was the alt Cast?
Speaker 2: It's cool, you know, it's a.
Speaker 5: Know, you're trying to strike the right balance between you know, podcast format and giving commentary. For the record, I had nothing nothing to do with Bobby Porters being the guest. He was actually in Atlanta, so he was doing the car wash at turn so he he showed up, did our shown bonus guest.
Speaker 2: That was a definitely bonus guest.
Speaker 5: He stayed on for quite a while, probably most of the first half, and then Dame came on the third quarter. Dame stayed with us the entire third quarter, so that was cool. Got to catch up on what he's doing, how he's preparing for next season.
Speaker 2: You know, he was he was really good. He was good in candidate.
Speaker 5: You know, he said, you know, around this time of year, he becomes a hater because he usually roots for the team that won the championship last year. So new players can't win the finals because he doesn't He doesn't want a new player, you know him, to the to get the titles. So he said, so this one is tough because there's going to be a new champion, but that it's cool. He gave it update on his achilles injury, where he's at the struggles.
Speaker 3: Is he glad he played in that game six because like I told you, man, I was. I was scared for him when he came back trying to save Milwaukee season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, he felt he had to do it and he believed that Giannis would have came back for game seven had they won Game six. So now he didn't he doesn't have any regrets and he didn't. He didn't hurt it any further. So that was good news. But he's still in the physical therapy stage of his rehab and he hopes to be back being able to get on the court at some time sometime next month.
Speaker 2: But no, it was cool. Stein's cool.
Speaker 5: Like again, to each to each his own, to each his or her own, I should say, you got the traditional broadcast on TNT, and then you have an out cast on True TV every game during the Western Conference Finals. Again, we have fun. We got some you know, have some good feedback. We have people that loved it that were tweeting out us, emailing us. We have people that hate it, you know. So it's it's a balance you're trying to strike as far as like how much commentary, how much play by play are you giving? We're not doing play by play, but it's just it's a lot going on. So I don't know if there is a balance, but we definitely have fun.
Speaker 3: Well for you though, I mean, you're in Atlanta in a beautiful studio. You get to hang out for three hours with Vince Carter. That can't be bad. That was cool, So it's a good deal for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it was cool.
Speaker 5: Vince Carter is here, e Donna's Haslom's here, We're all standing at the same hotel. Ug is here, and you know Brendan Haywood, that's my guy. You know, you you have Brendan Haywood in Dallas. I had Brendan Haywood in Cleveland his last year in the NBA. You know Channing Fries here, So you know, it's good cast of people here. So we were connecting, you know, in between times when we have the time. So it's cool now, but it's cool to stay planet for I'm gonna be here. I could be here if this goes Game seven, I can be here all the way up until June third. I don't think this is going to be a sweep at all this series, so it definitely has the potential to go to distance.
Speaker 3: A lot of Bucks doing TV right now, which is strange. I saw Malik be your guy, Malik Beasley on the fan Duel Show today, Bobby and Dame doing your show, and then maybe the best news for Bucks fans this morning, out of the blue, Yiannis Antetokounmpo tweeting quote, I promise you we will get back to where we belong, and they're going to give us our damn flowers.
Speaker 4: The tweet started with Milwaukee, thank you.
Speaker 3: So I think Bucks fans were probably a little nervous when they read the first few words of the tweet, but I know it's Gianni's coming out here to proclaim to Brewtown that he wants to come back strong. The Bucks are on the forefront of his mind. Probably the best thing you could read or hear if you're a Bucks fan to hear Janni's proclaiming to the world, I promise you we will get back to where we belong. So even though I failed you and I did not watch the alt cast, I'm guessing you got a similar vibe from mister Lillard last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, they're excited and you're honest, and Dame, they will get together at some point this offseason, will get to get.
Speaker 2: The training together. So you know they're looking forward to it.
Speaker 5: But as far as you talk about the Bucks media tour that they're going on, start it, it's not going to stop.
Speaker 2: I'm expected to have Doc Rivers come on.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So Bucks Bucks media tour is ongoing.
Speaker 3: Can we get any of these Bucks exluminaries on this show? Three of those four people have all wait, did Doc do this show?
Speaker 4: No, docted my doc.
Speaker 3: Doc did my radio show in Dallas. But obviously we've had Dame on, and we've had your favorite NBA player, Malik Beasley on.
Speaker 4: Of course he was the first guest in show history.
Speaker 2: We have Bobby Porters too.
Speaker 4: We had Bobby that's right. Yeah, Yeah, we've had we have a doctor.
Speaker 2: We have not listen, we have hold on you had Doc. You chose to have Doc on your show? That was That was.
Speaker 3: Because Doc Rivers was in Dallas and I just got a few minutes with him in the arena, my home arena.
Speaker 5: Let's so you get to be forgetting some Bucks players on and we've we've actually already had all the Bucks players that I had all yesterday.
Speaker 4: I'm why are you moving to Milwaukee? Just let's end the charade.
Speaker 2: And just.
Speaker 3: I mean, seriously, how many Bucks games did you go to this year?
Speaker 4: And how many Kings games did you go to?
Speaker 3: I'm sure if we counted it up, I think the Bucks win the rest.
Speaker 2: That's crazy consider I live in second middle.
Speaker 3: And speaking of races, did I really see footage of you recreating Kenny Smith one of a con sprint to the TNT video board?
Speaker 4: What was that all about?
Speaker 5: Don? I am impressed? So hold on stime again. The only way you saw that, well, not take that back, I forgot it was posted a Facebook. Anytime I post on Instagram is posted on my Facebook. So you saw it on face.
Speaker 4: There's only two way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's only two ways that this information can reach me because I barely know how to operate Instagram. Either my son sees it on Instagram, which does happen a lot. My son does tell me, hey, did you see what Chris posted? So he's my my son is is is an avid follower of your social media activity. But yes, there's also a chance that I can see it on old man Facebook.
Speaker 2: Old.
Speaker 5: The fact that you're still getting your content, your entertainment content through Facebook.
Speaker 4: I really don't.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't like. I don't like. I really don't like using that either.
Speaker 3: But there's a you know, like I said, once in a while, I will see something on there. I really, I really believe me. Twitter is enough man, That's like it's enough. And that's why like TikTok, don't even know.
Speaker 4: How to open that.
Speaker 3: I continue to be urged that I need to start tiktoking if that is the right vernacular.
Speaker 2: Me too. I'll hold off still, but yes, I hear you me too.
Speaker 3: Substack, man, substack is the only that that's where I need to be. That's where my food, my attention stays.
Speaker 5: Fuss, that's who pays the bills as of right now, substack.
Speaker 2: But no, yeah, I did recreate that.
Speaker 5: Kenny Smith uh falling on the steps as he's going to the board. Our our all studio, our all cast studio, is actually the same. It's in the same it's the same studio. It's the inside, the inside, the NBA crew. It's just that we're turned the opposite way. So I was just having some fun at kiddies' spence, That's all I said to the kid, and he laughed. He said, you ran into the camera trying to play it all. I gotta look at what he talking about. I guess he think I really failed. But yeah, I was just having for so it was cool. I'm enjoying myself.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, let's talk about the game last night that you were covering, because that was quite a spicy start. I would say to this first round series, where you know, the Wolves are widely regarded, I think, as the favorite, and look, you can certainly make the argument that they deserve that. When you go to Denver and win three times in a series, and you also win a home game by forty plus points.
Speaker 4: You deserve to be the favorites.
Speaker 3: But Dallas, they went in to Minnesota last night and made quite a statement, even though the three ball was not there. It is the sixth playoff series of the Jason kidd As coach air in Dallas, first time out of those six that Dallas wins game one, and Dallas has won four of those previous five playoff series under Jason Kidds, So they've done it four times in the past without even.
Speaker 4: Winning game one.
Speaker 3: Now they go in to Minneapolis and take game one. What did you see and what did some of your colleagues see when you were watching this game from your studio perch.
Speaker 5: I feel like Luca and Kyrie have to be on because I feel like the Minnesota have they have more offensive weapons and the weapons that Dallas has yo their shots are primarily created via Luca and Kyrie. So I thought, you know, obviously Minnesota has home court advantage. They should have had the advantage in this series, especially early on. I was very interested in looking at the matchups. Jade mcdames on Luca Dodgets, Anthony Edwarson, Kyrie, and I said this, I told you this. I feel like Minnesota has the best defense in the league interior and on a PERIMETI Lucas showed that it did not matter.
Speaker 2: Kyrie showed that it did not matter.
Speaker 5: Those guys are a problem, and you saw Minnesota at times electing to just allow Jaden McDaniels to guard Luca and allow Anthony Edwards to go at Kyrie, irving no help. Maybe a little bit of trap on the pick and rolls, but when it was isolation, they weren't sending doubles. Luca Kyrie ate them alive. I was very impressed by Luca still being able to get separation. Think about what Luca has dealt with in the playoffs thus far. You know had he has Jade mcdowells, who was a long defender who got a belief second team All Defense this season.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to him. But he's left.
Speaker 5: He has the lyft, he has the quickness, he has the foot speed. Luca still finds a way, still can use his body to push off and get space. And Luca had to deal with Lou Dort in Okay, See, somebody who's a physical specimen has the foot speed, but he's somebody that's going to bump you and not allow you to get to your spots. Luca still found a way. Now Luca might be a little bit battered and bruise from that experience with Dort, but he's sure that he can.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: So with that being said, Minnesota has a problem on their hands because they cannot stop Luca or Kyrie. And if that is the case, there's going to be trouble. With all that being said, Minnesota is still a good team. I expect this series to still go the distance. But I was definitely surprised that Dallas got Game one.
Speaker 3: Well, I think what stands out for me it's just again, how quickly this has come together for Dallas. They have a completely new identity and it's really come together in the space of three months. And you know that I love my NBA history, and this is something that I talk about on my sub stock all the time.
Speaker 4: In season, trades do not typically lead to championships.
Speaker 3: You have the Clyde Drexler example from nineteen ninety five, but those Rockets when they traded for Clyde, they were already defending champions. In two thousand and four, you had Detroit getting Rashid Wallace and that was obviously Rashid was a huge boost to that team and just took the Pistons to a new level with his two way play.
Speaker 4: And then more recently twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: The Raptors were able to get Mark Gasol at the trade deadline. But again it's only three examples that I can really remember. In the sixteen team playoff Era and Dallas.
Speaker 4: They make the trades for PJ.
Speaker 3: Washington and Daniel Gafford at the deadline, and those are not as splashy as the three trades I mentioned because Dallas was not getting an All Star or even a former All Star.
Speaker 4: PJ.
Speaker 3: Washington had never played in a playoff game before this spring. But what those editions have done and the defensive team that the Mavericks have become since those additions, Minnesota, I totally agree with you, Minnesota, that is the best defensive team in the league. But the Mavericks are also an elite defensive team and they just continue to prove it. And the defense that they play, combined with the flammability of Luca and ky it's what makes them dangerous. And you know that was the blueprint kind of game you get from your two star guards. For anyone who has followed the MAVs in these playoffs, you know Kyrie Irving has been a second half score this whole spring, but last night he came out with twenty four points in the first half. Was so aggressive against the coverage of Aunt Edwards and the Wolves, and then that set up Luca to finish the game with a virtuoso fourth quarter. And you know, that's the best that Luca has looked physically. You know, he he was ailing and struggling throughout the Oklahoma City series. I don't know that he ever looked as fluid and dominant as he did in last night's fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: But even saying that, even when.
Speaker 3: You focus on Luca and Kyrie again, this Dallas team, I just keep saying it. I've been around this franchise for twenty five something years, and never in all that time have you had to hat tip the Mavericks defense like you do now. Even in twenty eleven, even after they added Tyson Chandler, which made them a very good defensive team, they had Tyson Chandler and Sean Marrian who could guard every position on the court. But the identity of that team was still first and foremost Dirk Navisky and his incredible offensive ability. That was the first, second, and third thing you talked about with those Mavericks. I mean, this Mavericks team, the way they have defended, and it has all come together since the trade deadline and you just don't see that very often anymore. Really really impressive. And look at it's one game. Not making any declarations. The MAVs haven't seized anything yet. Jason Kidd very pointedly said to his team after the game, we haven't done anything yet. But for Dallas to be able to win a game with an almost non existent three ball as a team, you can't win a game like that if your defense doesn't deliver.
Speaker 5: So stein interesting that you bring up the midseason trades, the additions that Dason Mavericks made. So I'm announced right here on this show that I I have an interesting guest coming on our all cast show Game two Friday, MAVs t. Wolves, somebody who has ties to Dallas and somebody who contributed to those trades. I have it on Grant Williams. Grant Williams would be on talking about the MAVs t. Wolves game. Man, I'm pretty sure we'll get to see how you felt about how everything went down.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and look, you know, the Mavericks gave up a lot to get Grant Williams. They gave up a pick swap with San Antonio to make that happen. Then they pivot, and they had to give up a lot to trade Grant Williams to Charlotte to get PJ. Washington, remember, a top two protected pick, So this has to work for Dallas. They have surrendered control of their first round pick from twenty twenty seven to twenty thirty. The MAVs don't have it, so this thing had to work, but it is. PJ Washington has been fantastic in these playoffs after a slow start, which you would have expected a slow start because he was new to the playoff stage.
Speaker 4: But PJ.
Speaker 3: Washington has stepped up in these playoffs and he's meeting the moment. And Daniel Gafford combined with the rookie Derek Lively the second Dallas has a true center tandem now, a truly effective center tandem now, much like they did back in the championship days with Tyson Chandler and your guy Brendan Haywood. So the trade is definitely working for the Mavericks. And you know, Luka Doncic is now eligible for a five year, three hundred and forty six million dollar contract extension after next season. With the moves that Dallas has made, you know they're going to offer him that extension the first second they can. So they're trying to win this long term commitment from Luka Doncic with the team they put together in a second run to the conference finals in three years. The Mavericks gambled a lot at the trade deadline, but it.
Speaker 4: Is working okay well.
Speaker 3: Obviously, we will continue to be talking tons about the Western Conference, since that is a series Chris Haynes will be covering from his alt cast perch and I will be covering some of it in person.
Speaker 4: More details on that.
Speaker 3: To come, but let's talk some about the East, and let's try not to jinx ourselves because we are recording this again roughly seven hours before tip off of Game two tonight in Boston. The Pacers. By now it's been covered ad nauseum about the absolutely golden opportunity that they threw away in Game one. I ask you, Chris Haynes, can the Pacers recover from that collapse?
Speaker 5: Well, when you're thinking about performance wise, they were right there Boston, New York top three craziest environments in the league, just came from winning a Game seven in New York.
Speaker 2: I think that gave them so much confidence. I think it.
Speaker 5: Prepared them so much for that game one battle in Boston that they were in. They should have won that game costly turnovers, a few by tyres, just fumbling the ball towards the end, couldn't get the ball in bounds like they they gave that game game away, you know, you know, shout out to Rick Carlo trying to take the blame for that. Maybe he should have called the time out. Maybe you foul Jalen Brown sent them to a line stead allow him to shoot a three in which he made to.
Speaker 2: Tie the game. It was mishap beyond mishap. Now can they recover that?
Speaker 5: That depends on if if they got over how it all collapsed towards the end, you know, because sometimes that's all it takes to just get your opponent.
Speaker 2: To falter.
Speaker 5: And so if they if they've gotten over it, cool, But they know what they're up against. Boston self has been that they've been the most dominant team all season, right, so can they persevere?
Speaker 2: And state, of course, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm looking forward to seeing. And usually Boston loses Game two at home. That's that's been there trend in the playoffs. Thus far, so it's gonna be a tough one, but I want to see how they're gonna come out. I want to see from the initial that first quarter, how the Pacers are gonna come out. That's gonna tell me a lot as far as if they have gotten over how they completely gave the game away those last few minutes of Game one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, normally, I think on the outside, we are too quick to say that was so devastating, that was such a gut punch loss that team at can't possibly bounce back from it. And I think we've seen time and time again in the playoffs that that instinct is wrong and teams have the ability to flush those kind of losses easier than maybe we expect as outsiders. But I'm actually and again now I'm setting myself up for a jinx if we publish this podcast on Thursday afternoon and the Pacers go on to steal Game two. But that is one that was so bad that I do fear that the Pacers might have squandered their best opportunity to win one in Boston because there's just no possible way they should lose that game. And look, there was a lot of discussion about should Pascal Siakam have fouled Jalen Brown before Jalen Brown sinks the corner three. I think it was much tougher to foul in that situation than advertised.
Speaker 4: But it was the Tyres.
Speaker 3: Halliburton turnover and the terrible inbounds pass before those, those two mistakes before the game tying three by Jalen Brown, Those were far more egregious to me. And look, Rick Carlisle did come out and take the blame, like you said, and Rick is great at that. He's always done it in a flamboyant manner. Did it in Dallas a zillion times, and I think players do appreciate that. But the Celtics were rusty. The Celtics finished off Cleveland faster in round two, and so that was the Celtics first game after a rust stretch. And just again, I think they're going to be a lot sharper in this game too, and they're probably going to be getting Chris tops Porzingis back in game four or the game five range. So again, we'll see if I end up looking stupid tomorrow or later tonight. But I do fear that the Pacers potentially squandered a chance that they will root forever that they gave that game one away because it just should have never happened.
Speaker 5: What the Pacers have in their favor is that look at last series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we lost the first two games to.
Speaker 5: New York in New York one, the next two Indiana lost in New York again down three to two, and they won the last two that series. So you know, if you're in that locker room, that's what you're pointing to, the fact that we can do this, We can dig ourselves out of a hole. The problem is typically as you get closer and closer to the finals, as you continue to advance, those paths become harder. So while you might have been able to do that before, again the Boston Celtics, this is the team has been dominating the whole season, so it gets harder. But not to say that they can't do it, because in Game one it definitely showed you that they can't play with the self.
Speaker 3: One other Celtics note before we get to the coaching carousel, Jalen Brown did not make the All NBA team that was announced on Wednesday. Only four players from the East did make All NBA, and yes, this bothers me and look, I am a Tyrese Haliburton fan, and he had a.
Speaker 4: Lot of money on the line.
Speaker 3: By making All NBA Tyrese Haliburton, the value of his contract extension signed last summer rose by forty one million.
Speaker 4: But I don't know to me, the Celtics.
Speaker 3: If any team deserved two players on the All NBA team, it was the Celtics. Jason Tatum, to me, was not a top five MVP candidate. Understood why Joe Missoula did not win Coach of the Year. But I do think the Celtics, because of their regular season, they deserved two of the fifteen guys on the All NBA team. And it didn't happen for Jalen Brown. And again, huge deal for Halliburton because let's face it, he came back probably faster than he normally would have to get to the sixty five games he needed to be eligible for the All NBA team, and in the end it happens Haliburton gets enough votes to make All NBA, which is for both he and Anthony Edwards an extra forty one million added to the contract extensions that those guys signed in July. But I can say to you, I didn't love that the Celtics only had one player on the All NBA team. I thought, Jalen Brown, whether it's you know, obviously, if you say that, you got to take someone off. So I don't know if that's Halliburton, I don't know if that's the bonus.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's Lebron. I don't know who you bump exactly.
Speaker 3: But to me, Jalen Brown deserved a third team spot because the Celtics, to me, should have had two players in the top fifteen.
Speaker 5: I agree with Jones j Lebrown, definitely. I want to ask you about something else. Then, since you have a problem with that, let's go to first team All Defensive team. You have a problem with four bigs, be a name to first Team All d You can just pick. You don't have to go by position.
Speaker 3: Now I have to say, I haven't studied that. When it's close, but you can meet in the middle. Maybe make it positionalless. But do it like the All Star Game. Let's have two in the back court, three in the front court.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't want.
Speaker 3: Four bigs on First Team All Defense. I wanted to have some semblance of a basketball team. So again, it doesn't need to be two guards, two forwards in a center. But let's again, let's do it like the All Star ballot. Two in the back court, three in the front court. Let's make it look somewhat like a basketball team. I mean, really, when you look at the All NBA voting, it seems like we ended up getting mostly positions adhered to.
Speaker 4: Even though the All NBA balloting was supposed to be completely positionless.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, then the second team all day was primarily all guards. It was Alice Caruso, Drew Holliday, Jadah Sutz, Derrek White, Jada McDaniels.
Speaker 2: Depends on what you want to consider him.
Speaker 4: I do not like No, I do not a four big first team. No, I don't. I don't want that.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm just curious as you're.
Speaker 5: You're an NBA basketball storian, so you've grown a custom to seeing things conducted in a certain manner.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to get your feedback on that. Thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Before we go, let's talk about the coaching care because this morning, before you and I got together to record this, the Cleveland Cavaliers made it official and fired JB. Bickerstaff and probably should have known this was coming because word circulated Wednesday that Kobe Altman, the Calves president of basketball Operations, would be doing media Friday. And so now before Kobe Altman speaks to the media Friday, JB. Bickerstaff is officially out of the job. James Brego and Kenny Atkinson those are names already circulating as potential successors in Cleveland.
Speaker 4: I don't think this was a surprise in any way. The reality is JB.
Speaker 3: Bickerstaff won a lot of games here over the past two seasons, but he has been under pressure, fair or not since last season and the way it ended when the Calves seated higher than the Knicks, went out very meekly in five games the first round to New York. There were lots of ups and downs this season. There was a near firing in November. Then the Calves went on a huge tear in mid December for a month after losing both Evan Mobley and Darius Garland to injury.
Speaker 4: But the second half was rough.
Speaker 3: They were taken to seven games by Orlando and went down eighteen in Game seven at home. They easily could have lost the Orlando series. So I think around the league in coaching circles. This was expected because the Calves, as we know, they are trying to get a commitment from Donovan Mitchell on a contract extension. They are desperate to get that commitment and the signals lately you.
Speaker 4: Hear all this chatter.
Speaker 3: The Calves are optimistic behind the scenes about getting Donovan Mitchell's name on a contract extension. You know, but that's all just talk until it actually happens. It can't happen until July. But it's a massive, massive moment for the Cavaliers, a team you know well having lived in Cleveland and covered them from close range. They've got to get this contract extension done with Donovan Mitchell. They have to make it happen, and clearly they believe that this coaching change is going to help secure that commitment from Donovan Mitchell. If they don't get Donovan Mitchell signed to a contract extension in the offseason, they're going to have to explore trades for him. They can't dare going next season with Donovan Mitchell basically possessing a player option to become a free agent at the end of the twenty twenty four to twenty five season. They can't risk Donovan Mitchell getting all the way to free agency, not after how much they gave up to get him in the first place.
Speaker 4: So we'll see if this move.
Speaker 3: Is going to help them in their quest to resign Donovan Mitchell because just on terms of the job he did, I think a lot of people will look at this and say that Jabi Bickerstaff got a raw deal.
Speaker 2: You can definitely make that argument.
Speaker 5: I think it was a clear that there was a conflict between head coach and management that lingered on for a while, because there were points during the regular season where we were hearing.
Speaker 2: That coach could be let go during the season.
Speaker 5: So I'm surprised he made it this far with all the rumblings that we were hearing. Not to say that I'm surprised that they didn't do it earlier because he didn't do a good job. It's just based off of noise that I was taken in from Cleveland. He made it this far. I felt like he did a really good job in Cleveland. He was a common force, a stabilizer with that organization. Again, when you make a move like this, I mean, coming off of the second round exit is not bad for a team at the Cleveland Cavaliers. But when you make a move like this, Okay, what's next, where's that next marquee guy? That is just an outright upgrade. You know you can make the case Kenny Akus maybe probably anybody other than him will probably be a risk at this point.
Speaker 2: But again, they're.
Speaker 5: Trying to do everything they can to put themselves in a position to get out of Van Mitchell to commit to a long term contract extension.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, we'll see what they have up their sleeve.
Speaker 3: And again, the pressure has been firmly on JB. Bickerstaff since the end of last season, so he's been coping with it for months now. To me, the pressure shifts to the front office. They've got so much to figure out in Cleveland this offseason. Again, Item A, you've got to get the contract extension commitment from Donovan Mitchell, who's I believe eligible for a four year deal.
Speaker 4: That's just shy of two hundred and ten million.
Speaker 3: All the recent signals have been that the Calves are optimistic behind the scenes that that's going to happen. But even if that is how it goes down, then you instantly wonder, is Darius Garland going to be traded because it just hasn't worked the Mitchell Garland pairing. And I wrote this recently on my substack that the suitors are already.
Speaker 4: Lining up for Jared Allen.
Speaker 3: He is incredibly valued by numerous rival teams. The guy is playing on an absolute bargain contract at twenty million a year over five years, still has two years left on that deal, and with the way Evan Mobley played without Jared Allen in the playoffs, you would have to think that if the Calves are fortunate enough to be able to keep Donovan Mitchell, that they're going to prioritize a contract extension for Evan Mobley, which could be a Max deal, And so the phone is going to ring.
Speaker 4: For Jared Allen.
Speaker 3: There is no doubt about that the Calves are going to get trade feelers on Jared Allen, whether they're looking to move him or not.
Speaker 4: So this is just a massive summer.
Speaker 3: In Cleveland, so much going on, and it's a team that we're going to be talking about constantly. I think for the next six to eight weeks. Okay, I think we have covered all the bases on this edition of this League uncut, but I'm always hesitant to say that, just in case there's something that Chris Haynes wants to add I do, are we you know I do?
Speaker 2: It's funny you bring that up. Good time and great time is done.
Speaker 5: So again I go through great lamps to try to make sure I can make our pod appearances. You know, whether it's horrible Wi Fi, no Wi Fi, horrible hotspot on my phone, whether I'm circling my daughter's school to try to steal Wi Fi that.
Speaker 2: Way to jump on the pod. I do what I can.
Speaker 5: Stein, but Stein, after our last podcast, remember I was at I was on Clark University campus. Did you see the video the surveillance video that I sent you and producer Ryan. I don't know if you saw it or not, but I sent you a surveillance video of me walking into a liquor store around the corner after the pod. So just background everybody, after I finished the podcast and had this God, everybody have to stay on the campus for what about forty five minutes Sten because the video has I mean, excuse me, the audio has.
Speaker 2: To upload to the system.
Speaker 5: So even though we finished the pod, the Wi Fi worked for us to finish it. Now it has to upload and my producer has to retrieve it, and so I still have to stay in the area with Wi Fi and you guys know, uploading, downloading, it just takes longer. So I'm hanging around Clark Campus for another forty five minutes. Stein graciously stayed on the line with me just to keep, you know, keep me company. Because Stein, when he lead, usually when he shows, when the show's over, he goes. He does He's always had something to do, so he stayed on. So forty five minutes goes by the video, I mean, the audio gets uploaded, our producer gets it. So now I have to walk back to my daughter's house. Well, I'm thirsty, my mouth is dry, and so there is a liquor door on the corner of my daughter's house, and so I walk into this liquor store because I'm gonna get me a sprite and I'm gonna get me a water.
Speaker 2: I walk into the liquor store and there are these two it looked like teenagers. These two teenagers, they're getting there right in front of this liquor store. They're getting some water some soda out and they're like in my way, So I, lightweight, have to like push them out out of my way, and so I pushed them on my way head towards the front of the store to go get my water in my sprite. And then I noticed that the clerk.
Speaker 5: I asked him, do you take Apple pay on the phone, and he's just ignoring me.
Speaker 2: He's looking towards the door.
Speaker 5: Well I found out why he was looking towards the door because directly behind me is this big old TV and he's rewinding and he's rewinding and it goes back to those kids. So those so when I walk in, the two kids jack a whole bunch of drinks, stuff in their bags and take off and I'm seeing it all on this surveillance.
Speaker 2: But the thing about it is, I don't know if you've seen it.
Speaker 5: The thing about it it looked like I was a part of it, because as soon as I walk in the store, it's like I shielded deal and they just took off behind me.
Speaker 2: Did you see this? And I was able to record this.
Speaker 3: You know what you said it, and I couldn't when you said it, I didn't really understand exactly what was happening. So this play by play is helping, is helping it explaining.
Speaker 2: I might release it. I'm I don't know if I should.
Speaker 5: Release this, but everybody, I'm looking at it as right now, I walk in as these two oh. One is probably sixteen, the other maybe thirteen. For it could be sixteen two, but he's shorter. But they're they're grabbing drinks. Because I'm looking at it right now, they're grabbing drinks. Producer Tim, I'm gonna send it to you, Producer Tim, I might need you to chime in, Producer Tim, on what you see? Does it look like I was an accomplice in this situation? I just sent you the video, producer Tim. As soon as I walk into the store, they take off because there's a narrow pathway in the store and they can like kind of chield behind me and get off.
Speaker 6: My question for you is, did did the clerk question you?
Speaker 5: As?
Speaker 4: He did not?
Speaker 2: He did not? He did not that he did not, And so he's he's going he's.
Speaker 5: Looking at the surveillance footage and the big TV is behind me, so I can see him rewinding.
Speaker 2: He kept rewinding.
Speaker 5: He kept rewinding, and so I'm recording it right while he's doing that, and I'm like, wow, I didn't know what I just walked into.
Speaker 6: Those people were definitely waiting for someone to walk into the store, and it just happened to be you. I don't think it.
Speaker 7: Was coincidence that as they left you walked in. They were just waiting for somebody that had a dry mounth that was recording a podcast at Clark University.
Speaker 6: To get a drink.
Speaker 4: Do you think we'll ever have a normal pod? Right?
Speaker 3: And the show and Chris goes, Nope, nothing crazy happened to me this week.
Speaker 5: Look at this man. I mean, the kid has a gun. It's a water gun, but it's a gun.
Speaker 2: In his hand.
Speaker 5: It's a water gun in his hand while he he has a gatorade, he has a bottle of water, and then he goes and takes Yeah, that's the way he took. He took the gatorade and the bottle of water, and the other kid, I can't tell what he took.
Speaker 6: What are you listening to? Chris, by the way, what kind of music are you listening to?
Speaker 2: Here? That is a good question. I don't know what I'm listening.
Speaker 6: It just looks like you're in the zone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm listening to some music, but I am completely out of it. Guys, look at this look at what the timing, the timing of it all. I had to walk in right at that moment, I was questioning why the store Clark wasn't questioning me because it looked mighty suspicious.
Speaker 2: And then I got my do rag on and everything I'm looking. I'm looking straight hood right there, I'm bleating right in.
Speaker 5: I got and meanwhile I got my daughter's graduation shirt on doing off.
Speaker 4: The things I do.
Speaker 3: Star Like I said, someday we're gonna have a pod where it just wrap it up.
Speaker 4: Hey, put a bow on this episode. Anything going on, anything else you want to add.
Speaker 3: Chris, You'll be like, Nope, nothing happened, but that that pod has not yet taken place.
Speaker 2: Maybe one of these days, guys, So I'm still here.
Speaker 3: I'm still here, And with that we will put a bow on this edition of this League uncut. As always, please remember follow us rate the show, review the show. How can Chris haynes storytelling alone not merit a five star review? The depth and breadth of tales that we get from mister Haynes on a twice a week basis that alone should be five star rating, even when he forgets to unmute his mic chime in.
Speaker 2: I'm releasing the video.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, everybody.
Speaker 2: When we dropped this, everybody, they're going to want to see Maybe, no question, I could put a blur. Maybe I could put a blur on all the faces.
Speaker 3: Anyone who listens to this show is now going to want to see this video because you phiped it up so much.
Speaker 7: You could be the reason why why crime scene get solved.
Speaker 6: Maybe someone will recognize them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know if I want to be that guy to Maybe I'll blurt blur off the faces. We'll see they're gonna want to see it. After after something, I'll think about it. I'll think about it.
Speaker 3: As if I don't have to worry twenty four to seven about my two kids.
Speaker 4: I got Chris Haynes contributing to my ulcer yet again.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, that really does it for this edition of this League Uncut. Chris and I will be together again very very soon as these conference finals continue. Many many thanks to Minnesota Tim for pinch producing today. With producer Ryan unavailable at this hour, we look forward to being back with you very very soon.
Speaker 4: Thanks everyone for listening, Take care, and.
Speaker 1: That'll do it for us. See you next time.
Speaker 4: This League, UNCUTA and iHeartRadio production Chris Haynes, Good Marks, Time,