Speaker 1: Hey, it's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning, and you found our second.
Speaker 2: Date feed Why we're saying this. Normally Brooke would be doing it. But she's out there on the phone with her kids.
Speaker 3: She's crying.
Speaker 1: She's crying happy tears.
Speaker 2: I think, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Her daughters started middle school and it's every day.
Speaker 3: Here, so it's been a big emotional right. Yeah, but she's there.
Speaker 1: And I have not stopped reading your guys's comments from the second date, even though it was on Friday, the euro date. Jose, Yeah, Norwegian style dating.
Speaker 3: Dude, which I need to adapt and adopt. I mean, because I had no idea this existed.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know that it does exist.
Speaker 1: I count ten Norwegian listeners commented that this girl has been scammed.
Speaker 3: But you know, man, that's okay. That's actually almost funnier. I know, I love it.
Speaker 1: So if you haven't listened to Friday second date, go back and do that.
Speaker 3: Oh no, and if you're from Norway, help we have enough. Norwegians haven't confirmed, they have confirmed. Not real, But that's okay.
Speaker 2: Litter live her life that way.
Speaker 1: Sure, she seems happy and yeah, today guy says he.
Speaker 2: Has the best icebreaker.
Speaker 1: You'll ever hear icebreaker questions, so let us know if it would work on you in the comments and what your answer would be to it. Yeah, all right, and here's your second d style.
Speaker 3: Just get right back to Norway.
Speaker 2: All right, brand new second date starts.
Speaker 3: Now the Second Date updated. We obviously have heard about people meeting on dating apps or during activities like a run club or hopscotch karaoke classes.
Speaker 2: You do it all at the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really fun, really challenging. But kind of a more old school thing that's been around and it's making its way back again is singles events.
Speaker 4: Oh you know, I've been really into love on the Spectrum the show and they do all sorts of speed dating on that show.
Speaker 3: And you are doing the singles events too. Oh no, okay, but apparently they are still a thing because one of our listeners went to one recently and he needs our help today. His name is Trey, So Trey, thanks for emailing and welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Hey guys, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: Oh well, thank you for thanking us for having you.
Speaker 4: Was this the first like singles mingle or whatever they called it, that you've ever done.
Speaker 5: No, so I've actually been to a couple of them.
Speaker 6: I am really anti like the dating apps, and I'm much more on making like a human connection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's way harder to lie about yourself when you're meeting people in person. You can still pull it off, trust me, but it's harder. What do you mean, I'm about six feet I'm sitting right in.
Speaker 5: Front of you.
Speaker 3: Okay, so how did it go?
Speaker 5: So the last one I went to, it was a little weirder because there's a ton of guys there. Usually it's a good, like fifty flippy mix, but it was definitely.
Speaker 6: More of I guess you would traditionally call it more of a sausage fest.
Speaker 3: The more guys reply to the emails that when they set them up than anything.
Speaker 4: Sounds like whoever was producing it screwed up. Ye you know, because that's like the whole point of it.
Speaker 2: A sports bar, Ye, like a cutcy bar, a sports bar, I'd be a little.
Speaker 3: More excited than it's like a regular total. I never thought about the venue playing a role in that. I mean, now you're working at a disadvantage if there's more guys than girls.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it can be a little competitive, you know, which is not really like what you want to vibe to feel.
Speaker 6: Like, I don't want to be looking at this time and be like, oh I wonder.
Speaker 5: If this guy is gonna have a better answer than me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, did you come in with like a certain question you like to ask that's intriguing and good combo starter?
Speaker 6: Okay, I'll let you guys tell me how good of a question is. So you're familiar that we only have the young Sheldon because big.
Speaker 5: Bang theory exists. If you could have any.
Speaker 6: Young character show, who would you want to see a young version of?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Great question, Like we're getting the new Harry Potter series about young young Harry Potter.
Speaker 3: What about the Cosby Show? Is that a good answer? Young young? She's actually eating pudding because his mom gave it to him.
Speaker 2: I would not go with that one.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: My funny after that is young George Costanza because then you still get a little Jerry.
Speaker 4: Wowy somehow she's somehow still bald.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a really good icebreaker. How did the mingling actually go?
Speaker 5: So it didn't go great? Like I said, there's a lot of people.
Speaker 6: It's just hard to find time to get any FaceTime with everybody because everyone's just moving so quickly. And the host of the event came over and mentioned to me like, hey, I really appreciate you coming out, but then had this like very weird backhanded comment of I know you're not as attractive as some of the other guys here.
Speaker 3: Oh no, wild The organizer of the event said that to you, was it a guy or a girl?
Speaker 5: It was a girl, and she was like, I know what a great personality you have because you've seen me at other events.
Speaker 3: You know, there's no defending that. If she sees like a thousand eaters a week and she's just being she made us in her head and spoken out loud. Yeah, or if she is also single, maybe she was trying to neg you a little bit. I don't think we don't.
Speaker 1: Do that Rightually makes me feel good.
Speaker 2: I know, how did you get back in there? After that? My confidence would have been deflated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it didn't go great.
Speaker 3: Not so not to rush you through this story, but we are going to be calling somebody you didn't meet a woman eventually, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So that takes me to the next part. So later in the event, a couple of other like girls walked in. It was late. It was nice because some of the people are already kind of matched, so I had a little bit better of an ink okay, and that's when I started connecting with Steph.
Speaker 3: Steph, Steph Okay.
Speaker 5: She was great. We tried it for like fifteen minutes one on one. I asked her out of course, I knocked out which young show would you want to see? Hers was young, It's always sunny, which I think is a perfect.
Speaker 4: Which means she's funny. Yeah, yeah, she likes humor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you guys are cracked. So then we set up a date. A week later. We met it just like really cool wine bar that's near min Oh you did me?
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, I mean I had a few dreams.
Speaker 5: But right I like the hour mark.
Speaker 6: She was like, well, I has to go and just kind of cut it off, which caught me up guard because I kind of was locked in for the evening. I was like, great, we hit the wine bar down the road is really incredible taco joint that I love going to.
Speaker 5: I thought it would be like a fun like whole night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wine and tacos, perfect combination, just because.
Speaker 4: It was right on the hour market sounds like maybe she like read something somewhere that's.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, don't let your date go more than an hour, you know what I mean? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean my head first went to if she's doing these speed dating events with him, maybe there's multiple other guys that she matched with and had a whole idea just you're a common thing to have, like kind of a rotation or roster. Now she just knock them all out exactly. Yeah, how long ago did that date happen?
Speaker 5: That is about a week ago.
Speaker 2: All right, and you haven't heard from her at all.
Speaker 5: No, she hasn't gotten back.
Speaker 6: And I'm also not someone that's gonna like triple text someone like I'm gonna you know, I'll give the space to respond.
Speaker 3: You are self aware that is crazy on this show, dude, Yeah, that never happens. So let's come back. We're gonna call Steph for you, try and get you a second date. Update. In the meantime, if you like younger versions, you can go back and listen to old stuff from our podcast. Here are a little bit younger versions of us.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey, We're never older on the podcast, are we No.
Speaker 3: We're not, but we'll do it. With your second date update right after this second date update if you're just joining us. We've been talking to Trey about his date with a woman named Steph. They met at a singles mixer, where he learned Steph likes the show It's Always Sonny in Philadelphia, which is why yes sorry, so naturally for their date, he took her out not to an Irish bar, but to a wine bar. I thought, you want to say, should it's smart. Don't give women everything they want right up front and work for it.
Speaker 2: Just do a dumpster behind the.
Speaker 3: Would have worked justice, But at the one hour mark, Steph kind of called it all of a sudden, almost like she was timing the date, so kind of a strange end to it, and Trey, here's the deal. If we are able to get her to answer, you know, we're going to talk to her about your actual date and probably about the night you two met. So I need to ask you, is it totally off limits for us if it comes up to tell her about the host of the singles mixer calling you unattractive in the world. Mention that I'm just saying if it comes up.
Speaker 2: The date wasn't even part of that conversation.
Speaker 5: Why.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I'm sure it won't. This is great.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 7: Listen.
Speaker 5: I'm bring up because I'd be curious to hear what she would say in response to that comment.
Speaker 3: Here, dude, you know we're all together. We're a team on this. Let's all put our hands in on three one two three ugly Okay, dude, I.
Speaker 4: Will say right now that there are many people out there that may not be beautiful at the first meeting, but then they get more attractive the more you know them.
Speaker 3: God, you hear her voice. She doesn't believe that. I do believe that your rock bottom. Okay, here, it's gonna go on. It's not gonna come up. I won't say it's here.
Speaker 5: We get there's a reason why you guys are my favorite show.
Speaker 3: I guess we'll see. Okay, I'm gonna diear number. Here we go see if steph answers hello, Hey, is this Steph?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sign all uncomfort?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Fawns is on the show with us today.
Speaker 2: That is a reference that no one under the age of fifty.
Speaker 3: It's fine. We're a radio show. We're called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. Steph, are you still there?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Okay, Dad.
Speaker 3: Hey, as you can tell, we're a really fun, jokey type of show, but we do get serious a little bit with this segment that we do. It's called the second date update.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, has not clicking?
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe you explain it?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, Well, Steph, you met a great guy who you went out with, and now he wants another date and you aren't calling him back.
Speaker 7: Who's this guy you're talking about?
Speaker 4: I'm really bad with names that I forgot to write Joe, all right, I forgot to write his name down.
Speaker 3: It's okay, pass the baton to me. The guy's name is Trey.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna say, Trey.
Speaker 3: Okay, back to brook.
Speaker 2: Do you remember Trey?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I feel kind of bad about that one. Oh you do.
Speaker 3: Oh well, we heard about the date that you two went on to the wine bar, and from Trey's description of it, it was a really nice time. So he's a little bit just confused now that there hasn't been a second meetup, no follow up afterwards.
Speaker 2: Well maybe that's why she feels bad. Is that why you feel bad? Stuff?
Speaker 7: Honestly, I don't even know if I should be like telling you about this because it's kind of embarrassing. I feel weird about it.
Speaker 3: Oh it's embarrassing. Is it embarrassing for you or is it embarrassing for Trey?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 7: I guess potentially for everyone. I don't know. WHOA.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's the deal. Whenever we have listeners on this segment, they acknowledge that there may be some awkwardness, some difficult truths that they have to hear, and Trey just wants to know the honest reason there hasn't been a second meet up no matter what.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, I mean I guess I can tell you it.
Speaker 3: Would really help him out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, basically I'm friends with some of the people that organize these singles events.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding?
Speaker 7: I mean just one particular night, you know, they didn't quite have enough people there, specifically, they didn't really have a lot of women.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: He had actually mentioned that about the speed dating night that you guys met, that there was.
Speaker 2: A lot of guys.
Speaker 3: Then there was like another wave.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that would be because sometimes they give people like thirty bucks to just show up and like kind of mingle with everybody. Just fill it out.
Speaker 1: You WHOA, Well, you went on the second date after that.
Speaker 2: That's true, you guys yo?
Speaker 3: Were you paid to go out with him on the second date?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: No, not at all. It was just the initial kind of speed dating thing with everybody. But okay, I just kept thinking the whole time, like this continues to go, well, we're gonna have to have a conversation about oh it answered the picture initially, and I just feel horrible about that because I don't I don't want him to take it the wrong way.
Speaker 2: I'm confused though, were you interested in him or were you not?
Speaker 4: Because it sounds like you out to the wine bar just for an ego boost is what I'm picking up.
Speaker 7: That was part of it. But I mean, he's really cute. He's really nice. Anyone would be lucky to go on a date with him.
Speaker 3: Are you sure he's really cute?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: How cute is he? To tell us how cute it is? Okay, I was cute. So where is your head at now, Steph, Because according to him, you're not reaching out to him anymore. That sends the signal that you're not interested.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know. Sometimes I'm just really non confrontational, and I really really didn't want to have that conversation where I'm like, oh, hey, I was paid to meet you, and you're never going to get.
Speaker 3: Into a relationship with this great guy.
Speaker 4: Kind of bad news.
Speaker 3: But initially that's how they met, Like she was paid money to go there and meet him. And I can see how specifically anybody just to be there, sure, anybody, but anyone finding out the person they really like was paid to meet them, and that's not going to feel good. It is cute. I hear you that you're worried about having that conversation with him down the line somewhere it could be awkward. The good news is we already got it out of the world, like abandoned, because he's actually on the other line listening to this right now.
Speaker 7: No no, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Please do not say that to me.
Speaker 3: I can't not say that to you, because the truth.
Speaker 5: Is My God, Hey, how's it going, Stuffy.
Speaker 7: I'm really sorry you had to find out like this is pretty strange.
Speaker 6: I totally understand the awkwardness of not wanting to like mention how you ended up at said event.
Speaker 5: Obviously I was there as.
Speaker 6: A participant, But I think whatever the love story ends up.
Speaker 5: Being, it doesn't matter the origins it's more about how it ends up.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, Trey, you're not offended at all or put off by the fact that she was paid that night to.
Speaker 5: Be there, honestly not. That's kind of up to the organizer. I mean, she got Bobby's there. However they get there as long as were continuing to like have a conversation. And it's not all being paid to continue conversation.
Speaker 4: If anything, you should be you should feel guilty stuff that you took the money. Since you met somebody at the bed.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, you should pay him thirty dollars to make it even and now he knows you really like him for him, right.
Speaker 2: I was just going to have her give the money back to the organized best.
Speaker 3: You can always send it to us too, I mean, we could always start one. But Steph, what do you think about what he just said there?
Speaker 7: I don't know. I just I enjoyed your company. I enjoyed talking with you.
Speaker 3: It's nice.
Speaker 7: I just got like nervous, and like I said, I was two in my head about the conversation we were going to have to have.
Speaker 3: But it's all out there now, yeah, and I feel some positive momentum happening. We've got some of that awkward conversation out of.
Speaker 2: The way, and you don't even realize that stuff. You're really good at conversation.
Speaker 4: You gave the best answer to his TV show question out of the entire.
Speaker 3: That's why this is gonna be kind of tricky because I want to offer to send you on another date until you we pay for it. But yeah, and then it's like her to show.
Speaker 4: Up to the dates I see where we're at a charity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not going to offer to pay for you guys to meet up, but we will strongly encourage you to get back together. How does that sound?
Speaker 5: Honestly, I don't want this to be more confused or muddled by money being involved. I'd love for it to kind of feel more organic and genuine.
Speaker 2: It's a gift card.
Speaker 5: Still, So Steph, will you go out with me again? Can we try running it back and doing it again? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean I think I'm gonna say yes. It's not like a pity yes or anything like I really would like to see you.
Speaker 2: That's kind of a backwards compliment.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, this is such an odd of going about it. It's not like I feel pressure from you or anything.
Speaker 3: Like that irative, right exactly. This is good. Nobody ever would call him that. Congratulations Tray and congratulations Steph. You're both going to meet up one more time and we're not going to pay for it. Jeffrey in the morning. What a great wedding toast story if it ever gets to that point.
Speaker 2: I think they're so cute.
Speaker 3: My friend paid me to meet him, then I fell in love.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's perfect because it's funny, a little self deprecated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, woman, you just don't hear that enough in wedding vows anymore, especially with guys as classically unattractive as he was. Had Allegedly, we said not to say it during the call calls over.
Speaker 2: It was killing deal, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: I did a great job, and you can all thank me for not bringing it up late.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, if that's the bar, yeah, sure.
Speaker 3: If you want to thank us, or if you just want our help, we're available online. You can email the show. We'll call that person who's not calling you back, and go check out all of our second dates wherever you get your podcasts at Brook and Jeffrey