Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This he is Talking Cowboys training live from.
Speaker 2: The Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 3: Six second past time touchdown.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: It's a Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the SWBC studios. We are back in the building. The Cowboys are back in the building is training camp. Ship says focus from Oxnard, California, now to Frisco, Texas for the final week of Training Camp twenty twenty five. Welcome in everybody alongside Patrick, no, Cy Walker and Josh Rodriguez with Chris Beam in the back of Kyle yeomen So glad you're with us. No Isaiah standback today he is on the physically unable to perform list.
Speaker 4: The pup lists on the mend is one Isaiah Stambay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a poor guy had back surgery last week.
Speaker 2: A wee could go today, we could go today.
Speaker 3: He had back surgery and he's got a story on his Instagram, telling all about it and kind of showing them behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was down for the count.
Speaker 3: He mustered up enough strength to throw on a back brace, throw on a suit, get in the booth at at and T Stadium on Saturday from a Tuesday this Saturday turnaround. And I texted him yesterday and I was like, Hey, how are you feeling after working through it being the color analyst on the game against the Ravens, doing a great job up in the booth as always, said how you feeling today? How you feeling two days after that? And you had to muster it up? He said, man, you have no eye idea?
Speaker 2: Oh he said, it is it is sore. Yeah. Yeah. And so I don't blame him for missing today because he.
Speaker 4: He just shows his priority, you know, calling the game and then you know NFL Network and then talking Cowboys is somewhere in the pits, you know.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 5: Bottom line, Isaiah, you're a glady friend. You are a Roman gladiator to go through the back procedure, and you know, I know exactly what the procedure.
Speaker 2: We knew what the procedure was. Cofusion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's a pretty big deal and to be in the booth calling the game alongside Bill Jones.
Speaker 4: As a Roman gladiator. He could say, are you not entertained?
Speaker 5: Are you not entertained? Is this not why you were here? Theil bitter heel up. We'll see you soon, bro.
Speaker 2: Love you buddy.
Speaker 3: I know he's listening because he texted Beemer this morning and said, man, I'm not gonna make it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Well, if you listen to Isaiah, you suck whoa whoa wow.
Speaker 5: We are using if you're listening, and then let me throw let me throw some smoke. How we do That's how it goes right. If you're not listening, I say, it's the man. He's great.
Speaker 2: I love buddy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is how brotherly love works.
Speaker 3: Hopefully he'll be here on Thursday and we'll make it happen on Thursday.
Speaker 2: But glad to be back here and at the Star and Fristco.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you guys had safe travels back from California. You guys did a great job last week holding down the show. We've got a lot to catch up on and it feels like that now because we're still on that every other day schedule.
Speaker 2: We've got like two days forty eight hours worth of.
Speaker 3: Stuff to catch up on, especially when it goes over a weekend like it has.
Speaker 2: So let's start with some news and notes. Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: Lots of roster transactions, injuries, and stuff all popping up from Saturday's matchup.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So first and foremost, we'll go with the headliner, Jonathan Mingo. Jonathan Mingo suffered a pco injury in his knee on that deep pass on to the right side from Joe Milton. He is expected to miss four to six weeks. Obviously, the regular season is September fourth, so this is going to spill into the regular season. He is now a prime candidate for injured reserve with designation to return out, explaining that here momentarily to make room for an addition, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going to try this name.
Speaker 5: You want to give this last name of try Kyle, Josh, you want to give this last name of try, It's name's Michael.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michael. I can say that one.
Speaker 5: Listen, we are now practiced that we could say Banogay all the loftlong day. Michael Oja Moody cornerback signed by the Cowboys yesterday. He has He's a former third round pick of the Denver Broncos. Spent some time as a rookie with the Broncos several seasons before going on to the Bears in twenty two, which is when he spent some time with Guess.
Speaker 4: Who isn't that Eberflu?
Speaker 2: That is Iberflus. Yeah, you gotta know the eber Flu's. You might know a thing or two about this guy, might know a thing or two.
Speaker 5: So iber Flu went out and convinced the Cowboys to pluck this young man so that they can see what he has going into the regular season. Because yes, Cowboys are absolutely ravaged at cornerbacks, so ad Bruce Harmon to the injured list, But he's been waived to make room, like I said to add Oju Moudia. And with that, you're also looking at Christian Matthew. He went down in the game on Saturday against the Ravens. He did not return. We don't know his status at this moment either. Cowboys are trying to figure out what to do with Mingo. Kind of circling back to that really quickly. With injury injury reserve designation to return, teams are allowed to put two players to start the season. With that designation, neither of those two players will count against the fifty three man rosters, so no roster gymnastics required for those two gentlemen, as far as it used to be. You have to carry them for one day on the active roster, and that led to things like, you know, releasing Trent City against the next days, right, so helps in that capacity. Mingo will be able to return as early as if he's ready week four. After week four, I should say, twenty one day practice window could be activated then. And then if they do activate the window and he's not ready by the twenty first day, then he reverts to season ending injured reserve. God, there are a lot of translations missing a lot, there's a lot. Let's let's talk about Mingo for a second though, because that that's going to send ripple effects down the fifty three man roster conversation. As far as the wide receivers are concerned, Does that help with Jalen Tobrit solidify? Was Jalen Tobrat already solidified? Does that free up a spot for Flinoy, Trey Shawn Holding, you know, getting kind of.
Speaker 4: That third segment that's gonna be a good kind of fuck it.
Speaker 3: That's the thing is you would look at it as who's at the best camp across the board, but also who also has been I guess invest it in the most and by the time and.
Speaker 2: Body of work for Tolbert would say he's on the roster.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't think anybody's really looking at Tolbert and saying he's off the team right now. We'll play our fifty three man game later in the show, but I don't think Tolbert's really on that bubble.
Speaker 2: Flinoy might be.
Speaker 3: And so I think, if anything, this Mingo injury affects Flinoy in his ability to be on the roster.
Speaker 4: I'm excited to get to the third segment in our game, like you're saying, to kind of start whittling down the fifty three.
Speaker 2: I did it. It's a quality word, Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, But for me, I took it as an exercise of just what I'm seeing. To your point, you're saying how much they invested in players like Tolbird or maybe like a fifty eight. You know, they invested in those things that I didn't necessarily take into account, And I'm saying that with my chest on a Tuesday.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, I like it talking too spicy.
Speaker 4: The tease for the rest of the show, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know Jim will see Jim.
Speaker 5: But yeah, the Cowboys, I mean, as they get ready for this short week going into Friday's game against the Atlanta Falcons preseason finale. We also have some news on Jaydon Blue, Herb, Brian shot and Heimer. Jaydon Blue is trending positively. Shottenheimer and the Cowboys are optimistic quote unquote that he will that he has a great chance of making his preseason debut in the finale against the Atlanta Falcons. That's a pretty big deal as you try to figure out this running back.
Speaker 2: As is Jadon Blue, He's very optimistic.
Speaker 4: He tweeted about it yesterday and yeah, the hour glasses running out and he said basically, it's time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 5: We're ready to see Jayson Blue out there. We talked to Tyler Guyton yesterday in the locker room. He said that he is feeling much better. He's making a lot of progress. Obviously he's not going to put a timeline on it. But between speaking to Tyler got in, which is something I've done frequently from the point of the injury. Out in Oxnar had some all the record conversations. We had an on the record conversation yesterday in the locker room, and then we all talked to Brian Schottenheimer. All signs are pointing positively toward a potential return for Week one against the Philadelphia Eagles. Across your fingers that that holds true. But Barne is setback. He's still at this point on track for that, and that is huge news. As the Cowboys also still try to figure out what their left tackle situation looks like in the absence of Tyler got and obviously Nate Thomas has really started to take the lead there. But don't count out a guy like a Dynergy. I think that's wide open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whole offensive line scenario is still wide isn't it just because.
Speaker 2: They they haven't played particularly well?
Speaker 5: Agreed with the exception games of two guys we saw in preseason game.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's one and Tyler Booker. Yep, there's two.
Speaker 5: Tyler Booker allowed zero zero sattle pressures in past protection and and his run his run grade was pretty damn high. You saw them running behind him quite frequently and he was, Uh, he was moving bodies.
Speaker 2: T Booker is gonna get you, sucker.
Speaker 3: I liked what uh what shot he said yesterday when he talked about T Booker is the fact that they knew he was going to be a road grader on it. That's why they drafted him. The pass protection is is a separate thing. There was one play where I mean it was just one on one. It wasn't taken on a double team and facing two different guys or whatever it may be. I mean he was pretty one on one with a defender and he stood him up yep, and then pushed him back on a on a pass block where the breakdown happened around him. There wasn't any space. He was on an island in at the guard spot, which is not a.
Speaker 2: Good thing typically. Uh not. He was on an island, but he handled his island.
Speaker 3: And I liked a couple of the reps that we saw from Tyler Booker, and then I think run blocking was good. Shoddy also mentioned if we have bb and Booker out there, we should be able to run the football better. They didn't. They didn't necessarily run the football great thirty one to thirteen. The final scores the Ravens beat the Cowboys in preseason Week two. Still a lot of up and down there from the overall ground game and.
Speaker 2: Things like that. The offense was gross.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the offense was gross when you look at the fact that going into halftime it was single digit net gain yardage for the Cowboys offense.
Speaker 2: And then what they get second week in a row, they did.
Speaker 5: The negative yardage on the ground. To your point, going into the half against the Ravens, They've got to get it fixed. I mean, there are positive positives to take away, Tyler Booker being one, Cooper bb being one. Eventually in the game, Jonathan Mingo, but now it comes to bad news with Jonathan Mingo. There are some positives. I mean, Andrew Booth took a step forward with the pick six. Obviously, I still I love what Zion Childress is putting out there, Kemon Hall is putting out there. But on the whole, the positive I would say is I think the defense. The thirty one points to me is eventually the defense got worn down and got tired. But for the most part, I saw a defense that was stopping, started to stop them on the run, started to step up their red zone defense. For the most part, at least over the first two and a half quarters. I thought the run defense down the stretch was not absolutely linebackers were hair on fire.
Speaker 4: Linebackers are just linebackers, and they've been the most taste so far.
Speaker 5: The Moone Clark this week, previous week, Marris Lea File.
Speaker 2: I like what jack Son jack Sanborn went out there.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And we still haven't even seen Kenneth Murray yet in preseason action. So I love what the linebackers are doing. So the defense I believe took a step forward from week one to week two as far as preseason goes.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 4: However, hold on at this point, would you say linebackers are strength of this team right now?
Speaker 2: Right now? Strength? Crazy?
Speaker 5: The defense on defense? Sure right now? Yes, sure crazy to consider.
Speaker 4: Right it's crazy to consider over the past two seasons for that to be the case. But my question more so is like, is it surprising to you that in one season they've changed from you know, arguably a weakness to maybe the defense's greatest strength.
Speaker 3: I think part of that is you're so banged up at corner. You don't have a ton of guys rotating in as starters at corner. And you haven't seen it yet. The one guy that's out there and has played that it is supposed to be a starter as Kyrie Elam. That's the only guy at corner. So I think that's a factor. Of course, you don't have Michael Parsons out there, you don't have Dante Feller Junior out there, you don't have Sam Williams for the.
Speaker 2: Most part out there.
Speaker 3: I mean, all of those things kind of play a factor when you're saying, Wow, these linebackers look great. I stood on the table for the offseason moves at linebacker. I liked the addition of Kenneth Murray. I liked the addition of Jack Sanborn. I think this is a better linebacker group now, especially when they get to Marvin overshown back than they ever had in the past two or three years, because of the depth that they have at the position and the coach that they have running it in Matti Eberflus. However, when you look at this defense, I still think it's going to be predicated off of getting to the passer, still predicated off of getting pressures and having Parsons and Dante Valler Junior and all these guys that we've heralded over the last couple of years is either early round draft picks or superstars at the position. That's who you have to rely on. And then we can talk about the linebackers. So right now, as preseason twenty twenty five continues, I would agree with you the linebackers have been tremendous and they have been the stars of the show on defense. But when we're building this roster out and we're looking to what it will be full strength, hopefully in twenty twenty five, I still think it's the edge rushers that lead the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I agree with everything that Kyle just said because from a preseason standpoint, as we have the conversation, oh, the show stealers are the linebackers right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but two reasons this Leah has been great. You haven't even mention him right now.
Speaker 5: I did, Oh sorry last week against the Rams, he was just like unbelievable. As we have this conversation, the linebackers are stealing the show for two reasons. Number One, they put in the work. Number Two, they're being led by coach Cuogonzo Borganzi and of course coordinated by linebackers Guru and Eber Flus. All of those things matter, so not to take away from them, but it's also true that Michael Parsons isn't on the field yet, Sam Williams isn't on the fiel yet, Dante Fowler is not on the field yet, so forth and so on. So once we get to the regular season, the strength of this defense is absolutely going to be your defensive end. It's absolutely going to be your past rush and the ability to try to stop the run at those at those edges. But the linebacker corps is going to be and we're seeing this bear itself out already. They're going to be so pivotal in run support that they're going to be the next most important unit on Matt Eberflus's defense. So it's it's great to see knowing that that they can get the job done, that they're really taking some stridge right now.
Speaker 4: I say that because my point of it was, you're not seeing a lot of defensive scheme out of I Refluse. He's playing base defense over the past two games. That is why the linebackers are cleaning up across the board because of it's not moving. He's not showing you anything on corner wise, I mean the corners are playing, you know.
Speaker 2: Five eight yards off of receivers, so I.
Speaker 4: Just think that is indicative of them playing bass and how good the linebackers are just in that assignments.
Speaker 2: And they're doing it without good defensive tackle.
Speaker 5: Play agree which is arguably really Yeah, number one, Josh, you're doing the hand thing. So I never want to hear you tell me I'm doing the hand thing again, because you were just hand.
Speaker 2: Thing.
Speaker 5: He said, how I paced my words with the very Jerry Madaline.
Speaker 2: He said it behind the scenes something on the air.
Speaker 3: We said it on the air too, and I just caught him doing it, so I'm start doing it in my camera shot.
Speaker 5: It's a pacing ticket, it's a pacing technique.
Speaker 2: But the other thing with your hands, that's possible. I do it all the time.
Speaker 5: That's a freaking Lolian I can, yes, you keep judging. So, yeah, there are concerns on defense defensive tackle. Being one cornerback of position, you're in dire straits right now. You flip to the offensive side of the ball. And outside of Cooper BB and Tyler Smith, we know what he is and Tyler Booker, they're trying to get Tyler guy in back and figure out left tackle. Can Terence still get back the top form? We'll see. Your running game is struggling. Your passing game is virtually non existing. In the preseason, Joe Milton again grated himself as a D D minus. He said after that game that he would have given himself a C if not for the interception. I am not there with.
Speaker 2: Him on that. That's a little generous. I do think.
Speaker 5: I do think he flunked that that game against the Ravens, with the sole exception being better than it was worse than we thought so too. It was worse than Week one with the exception of that pass he made to Jonathan Mingo.
Speaker 2: Now we'll give him credit.
Speaker 5: For the middle deep right scene pass to Jalen Cropper that was a dot in the bucket, hit Cropper in both hands, and he just couldn't.
Speaker 2: That both of his completions in the first that would have been both of his completions.
Speaker 5: So so for me, outside of that, I think he regressed over the preseason opener, and that is just not what you want to see from the young.
Speaker 4: Quarterback, especially whenever Schottenhammer was talking yesterday like he didn't necessarily you know, forgive all of those things. He's talking about how Joe Milton needs to settle in much like he settled in the second half against the Rams.
Speaker 2: This did feel like a regression.
Speaker 4: And then if you see him on the sidelines too, Joe Milton is sort of just in his head about everything. Every pass feels, you know, like it's, of course, it's this one opportunity to be the backup for Dak Prescott, and you feel that when you look at him on the sidelines, you feel that pressure on him versus you know, going out there and just trying to play ball.
Speaker 5: Listen, you know, first three possessions for the Cowboys, you basically, as an offense led by Joe Milton, you basically did nothing more than award two points to the Ravens defense.
Speaker 4: The awareness that the safety.
Speaker 5: With that blitz, that free blitzer coming off of your sight side, you have to come off your read and adjust and just realize where you are.
Speaker 2: You're standing in the end zone. You cannot take that sack.
Speaker 5: And to his credit, he did say that he was, you know, doing his hot his heart read and everything. He just didn't come off of it in time. I appreciate the explanation That doesn't excuse it away, though, because if this was a blind side attack, okay, then you're looking at the left tackle like, come on, help your quarterback out on this end. It's a it's a it's a corner blitz. I believe it was. You've got to see that. You've got to see that, whether it be identifying it right safety, rather it be identifying it pre snap, which goes to, hey, I understand that was his second air quote, third NFL game, third game in the NFL, first being the one that he played with the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Well, he played the preseason. It wasn't fair and just didn't start fair enough.
Speaker 5: Granted that's more of a veteran, you know, seeing and identifying the mic and here's the blitzer.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, but you need to learn to do that.
Speaker 5: If you fail to do that because of an experience, okay, worst case scenario, especially considering.
Speaker 2: How mobile you are and that being one of your.
Speaker 5: Biggest attribute attributes, see pressure, leave good bye. It's that simple to stand ready, not see it, not feel it, and just get obliterated in the end zone.
Speaker 2: Everything went downhill from that play forward.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and if you consider what we were looking at whenever Joe Milton came in as was that dual threat. You kind of felt like that was going to be part of his game, and you saw that early on in preseason where he was willing to take off in moments like that. But you're just not seeing it in the preseason games because it just feels like he's playing mind games with himself, trying to get it right the first time, and every rep is or every snap is just the most crucial thing imaginable. But I also think part of that was due to the inexperience of the offensive line and like how many snaps has that offensive line taken together, and could they have with more experience, diagnosed that blitz maybe so and communicated that to their quarterback who did not make that.
Speaker 5: Read maybe so? And a lot of parts fell apart in that. But again I'm speaking break glass in case of emergency, you've gotta see that Blitzer're.
Speaker 2: Coming, gotta run, you gotta go.
Speaker 5: But I will say, Josh, you point out something that really probably makes a point as an undercurrent for why what happened with that safety play is that maybe Joe Milton is starting to hear and understand that you know, you need to go through your progressions. Okay, stay with your progressions. Trust your progressions. Come off of one. If there's no one, go to two, go to three, et cetera. So maybe on that play he was overthinking and said I just need to stick in the pocket and not bail as quickly.
Speaker 6: Will.
Speaker 7: Now, I don't think you got to complete that. I think the poet you think, I think done. I think there's an aspect of overthinking. That's that's happening right now. Overcorrection, if you will.
Speaker 3: If he was over correcting in that specific moment, I agree with you in the general sense because we've seen it in practice.
Speaker 2: We've been out of practice. He takes it and runs way too much.
Speaker 3: And maybe there's an element from a coaching staff to say, hey, like dial that we but in that moment.
Speaker 2: The receivers, I get it.
Speaker 7: But in that moment, dude, you are dead to right inexcusable in that moment.
Speaker 5: I cannot stress it enough. It's inexcuseable in that moment. And I do again the play to Jonathan Mingle, notwithstanding the good throat of Jayalen Cropper that was dropped, Notwithstanding that was an f for me, like that was a regression and he flunked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't a great outing and won't break down more of Joe Milton and his situation on Thursday. Going into the final preseason game, He's already been named the starter. Brian Schottenheimer said he will start on Friday against the Falcons.
Speaker 2: So we'll see one more good look at Joe Milton.
Speaker 3: And then the conversation turns to is the quarterback behind Dak Prescott on the roster currently? And that's gonna be the conversation we'll have on Thursday when we come back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Let's have some fun. Let's build this fifty three man roster. We'll set things up.
Speaker 3: We're gonna we're gonna play a little mock roster here on Talking Cowboys when we come back right after this.
Speaker 8: AT and T has a new guarantee. Because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by.
Speaker 9: Yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area, not guarantee. Place item in the bagging area. Place it in the bagging area.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 8: AT and T guarantees connectivity, You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve or we make it right, burns and conditions of mind. It is a att dot com SLAST guarantee for details at and T and that thing changes everything.
Speaker 6: Every day begins with the promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 2: We're with you.
Speaker 6: That's our promise to you, because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 5: Where with you?
Speaker 2: Where are you noted?
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you.
Speaker 2: Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 3: Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 10: As America's eating business lender, Bank of America is on your corner and in your corner. With over nine billion dollars in business loans and more than one hundred and forty business specialists right here in North Texas, we help businesses thrive, so communities prosper. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com slash Local Business. Bank of America Official Bank of FIFA Club World Cup twenty twenty five Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation Already reserved.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This segment is brought to you by in Visiline, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: So glad to be back in the building the SWBC Mortgage Studios.
Speaker 3: Of course, Black Rifle Coffee is our presenting sponsor on Talking Cowboys. I need some Black Rifle coffee. Wake up a little bit today. Baby's had me up late last night.
Speaker 2: I had my black riffle.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This morning. It really is Arry Texas voice hit my black Black.
Speaker 3: We don't get any extra moullah by talking about Black Rifle, But I really do like their stuff.
Speaker 2: Their stuff is really good. It's great coffee. I had the I think it's called blacked out coffee. Interesting, real strong, Okay? Is that?
Speaker 5: Like that's not like the one Isaiah drank that one day had him with the shakes. That was like the three hundred gram of guy he was over there, Pooky from New Jaggs.
Speaker 2: Triple triple shot. But the cover of the bag, I gotta go to it.
Speaker 4: The cover of the bag is a soldier with like night vision on him.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, that's I got a mission.
Speaker 4: That mission is talking cowboys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your darn rang comment of the day here on the YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: Uh, it was kind of a lame day comment wise. I'm not gonna lie to step up your comment because Thursday, right, they're trying. Yeah, they're doing their best. It's not all their faults.
Speaker 3: Broke says, can't wait for week one, all our questions will be answered. I laughed at that because I can't tell if it's sarcasm or not.
Speaker 2: Because I am excited effectively week one.
Speaker 3: I am, and we will learn a lot about week one, but all of our questions are not going to be learned week one aren't going to be answered week one. I'm just excited to see what this team actually looks like whenever we get down to it. With that being said, I want to see what this team's going to look like when we get down to it. Brian Schottenheimer yesterday was asked about his philosophy and roster building in the press conference. You can go check it out on Dallas Cowboys dot com if you want to see the whole press conference. But one of the things I thought he said was interesting was we met yesterday, which now at this point would be Sunday, this past Sunday, with the front office, the coordinators, and with himself to talk through what the fifty three man roster cutdown would look like. If the cutdown day was today, Well it's not. The cut down day is actually a week from today. It is next Tuesday, August twenty sixth. That is the roster cutdown day. And just like we've talked about in the past couple of years, it.
Speaker 2: Is different than what it used to be.
Speaker 3: It doesn't go from ninety to eighty to sixty five to fifty three anymore.
Speaker 2: It goes from ninety to fifty three. There is no in between.
Speaker 5: Now get next to it.
Speaker 2: You do have a bigger practice squad.
Speaker 3: You have the sixteen practice squad players that you can keep on your roster and that helps the scenario. However, let's cut down some fifty three man roster stuff.
Speaker 2: Happy to do it.
Speaker 3: We're gonna start on the defensive side of the ball. We are taking away four names. These are four names that are a lock on special teams. Brandon Aubrey, Brian Anger, Trent Sigg and C J.
Speaker 2: Goodwin. Can we all agree on those? Agreed?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I guess so you have fifty or you have forty nine, guys. I think choose specialist a receiver as a receiver. Yeah, because I think they're going to utilize them either way. I'm just gonna say they shouldn't count against the fifty three. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like, let's just create a separate depth chart just for special scene works. All right?
Speaker 3: Fine, the NFL does not have a waiver where you could. Yeah, forty nine guys is what you've got.
Speaker 2: You're doing the idea on offense or defense. Uh, let's start with the edge rushers.
Speaker 3: I think that'll be pretty interesting because how many edge rushers are you keeping?
Speaker 2: That's the first question. I have six? You have six? Go for it? What you get?
Speaker 4: Micah marshn Neelan Okay, easy, Dante Fellow Junior, Sam Williams, Tyris Wheet.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, mm hmmm, Tyris whet Over, who oh.
Speaker 2: Well, not gonna pull my rock, you to pull it back out.
Speaker 5: He's taking tires sweet over Peyton Turner, Yeah, Turner, James.
Speaker 4: James Houston, Yes over him, Uh yeah, keeping tires sweet. I like what I see from him. I think he's a dog, I really do. I think he gives you a lot of attitude that you're not really seeing necessarily on the defensive line outside of your top guys. Something about Tyres sweet man, and that was showing prevalent over the last two years. Even on special teams, he shows up.
Speaker 2: So read those names again, the six names.
Speaker 4: My six names are Micah Parsons, marsh On Neelan Donovan, Azeraiku, Dante Fowl.
Speaker 2: Junior, Sam Williams, Tyres.
Speaker 3: Wheet, Tiris Wheet. Okay, So no Turner, no Houston. I guess in that realm. Houston's kind of like an outside linebacker. They have him as an edgdresser on the depth chart.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I love that, but and they were talking about him on the fan yesterday and shouts out to one of five through the fan. I like what they were saying, but just in terms of the snaps that he had, I think he had close to fifty and he only made like two tackles Like that to me was a little alarming, Like.
Speaker 2: That's because he's playing off the edge a little bit. Absolutely have to see where he lies.
Speaker 4: They were good plays that he made, but I don't think he's making enough of an impact going against second and third stringers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm I have six as will and I'm right there with Josh So. I got Michael Parsons, Dante foul Or, Marshawn Kneeland, Donovan as Roku, Sam Williams, and I have Tyrus Wheat as well. And the reason Tyris Wheat makes it for me is special teams. Ye special teams. Peyton Turner, I don't see him as making nearly the special team's impact that Tyres Wheat would make. And James Houston, though impressive as his camp has been, then it becomes again a special teams conversation, and I think Tyris Whedt edges him out there while also still giving you some break glass in case of emergency depth at the defensive en position in the event of injury knock on Woods. So yeah, for me, I got Micah, Dante Fowler, Tyris Whee, Sam Williams, jonavan As, Rocku and Marshaw Kneeland, not in that order, with the exception of Michael being the first name I put up there.
Speaker 2: All right, moving on the deed tackle, No, what about you? I would go as a Rocky.
Speaker 3: Parsons, Williams, Turner, Fowler, Kneelan.
Speaker 2: I would keep Turner ok, Tyrs Wheet.
Speaker 3: As much as I love Tyrus whet, I think there's a better chance you sneak him.
Speaker 2: To the practice squad fair enough. So that's six for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, six, guys, I've been going six and then four is where I'm at with the interior defensive line.
Speaker 2: And I don't feel good about it. I'm not going to lie to you. I have four as well. To you, I don't feel good about having.
Speaker 4: For who you have, I have Osaka Solomon Thomas, Yeah, ja got it, perry On Winfrey.
Speaker 2: Oh you're missing a name there, yep, on purpose. What's that name? Mozzie Smith? Okay for me, he doesn't make this team. You're done, You're done with the experiment. Yeah, I think I think you think you're alone.
Speaker 4: I think you've invested what you've needed to. I think you've seen what you've needed to form Mozzie Smith and he said to himself that he needed to make more plays here in the second game, and you're just not seeing it. It's there's a hurdle that you are just not getting over with Mozzy. All all the respect in the world to him, I think he has worked really hard, and you saw that in bits.
Speaker 2: You saw that in games.
Speaker 4: Last year especially. I go back to the away game at the Giants, where it's like, that's Mazzi. That's the guy you need to see. You just have not seen it on a consistent basis. I know is the first round pick. This is just my depth chart. I was having fun with this. I he doesn't make my team.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's not fun for Mozzie your death chart. Where are you gonnapologize?
Speaker 2: Fair?
Speaker 5: I they're not in my opinion, they're not waving Mozzi geta.
Speaker 2: They're not going to wave them.
Speaker 5: They if they are to end the relationship with Mazzie Smith, I think first they're going to try to trade him.
Speaker 2: If that's the case, they're going to try to.
Speaker 5: Get something and maybe that's the case something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely understandable.
Speaker 5: Right, So I'm going to have Mazzi on the roster to start the season because it's just rather you like what he's doing or don't like something. Right, he's a first round pick. Yeah, so I got Mazzie Smith Osa.
Speaker 4: I thought week questions are of my own just say enough, fair enough, not representative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll cover this up. Mazzie Smith.
Speaker 5: Ohso DIGGI Zooa Solomon, Thomas, perry On, Winfree and J Toye.
Speaker 3: I got five, you got five, so I'll do four and then Winfrey is not there. Even though I did like some of the things we saw from Winfrey, I think he's been okay.
Speaker 5: Behind the Ocean has been perfect right behind the Osa, solid dynamic. Yeah, perry On has had the most flashes.
Speaker 3: The thing in the game is Winfrey hasn't looked great, and so that's why fair he's.
Speaker 5: Not getting walked away as often as like an Ernest Brown unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Right, four interior defensive lineman.
Speaker 3: I go Mazzi, Osa, Toya Solomon, those are the guys, all right, linebacker, Let's.
Speaker 2: Try and roll through these real quick linebacker is going to be kind of interesting. How many of you keep it on two, three, four, hold on five?
Speaker 3: Five linebackers? Yep, it's kind of where I was thinking. Go with yours, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Mary Sleefou, Timon Clark, Jack Sanborn, Kenneth Murg Junior, Shamar James.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have no problem with that, none at all. I wish I could keep justin Aaron. Yeah, I wish I James, and I'm not Yeah, I'm not willing to do play around. I really do like some of the things we've seen from Barn, but that's how deep this linebacker crew is. But do you think you could sneak him to the practice squad? Who? Probably? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably, I believe so, especially since he dealt with injury.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and may sneak sneak him on one of those you know, stash him away.
Speaker 2: Hangnail, Yeah, hang nail. Safety, This one might be a little easier. What do you think safety?
Speaker 4: I got four yep, And they're the same forces last year for.
Speaker 5: Donovan Wilson, Marquis spill In one year.
Speaker 2: Time right there with hundred percent? All right, going to corner corner? What are you doing? Am I going first again? I'll go first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Patrick, so we got two one reserve, assuming they both started.
Speaker 2: Who is the reserves?
Speaker 5: Digs and revel. Okay, so I'm going k you're elum seek your elm this. I'm I'm stuck on Kayln Carson. I think he makes the team. I think he has a whole lot of show he'll make the team. But I think he makes the team. So let's say, Kayln Carson, give me Deron Bland. Obviously Andrew Booth is going to make the team. Please give me some Zion Childress.
Speaker 2: That's your starting nickel.
Speaker 5: Give me some Zion Childress and Israel mcquama.
Speaker 2: I'm going to six.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So to repeat ca Kaylyn Carson, Deron Bland, Andrew Booth, Zion Childress, and Israel mccuama.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna flip Israel mccuamu for Keemon Hall.
Speaker 5: Oh, just because just because you got to give us more than just because well, because he's play better.
Speaker 3: So also because no, not because I feel like just give him one for the No, because I I don't feel confident that Zion Childress. I think he is your starting nickel right now, but is he gonna play every single snap on defense. You're gonna need somebody else to play in the nickel at some point, and I don't think Israel Mukuamu, even though he has played a little bit in the slot.
Speaker 2: I would rather have a.
Speaker 3: True slot guy on the roster because Bland. If Bland is out there, he's not playing in the slot without Digs and without Uh, without Revel, without those other starters. If he's out there, it's Elam, it's Bland, It's those two outside. Plus I think you can get some stuff out out of Hall on special teams. I think Mukuamu and Hall is the decision here, and those are the two guys you got to benefit.
Speaker 2: Either keep both of them and have those two guys available, or I would keep Paul if I had to make a decision.
Speaker 4: And I think at least for Zion being your starting nickel. Going into camp, I didn't know anything about this kid. He's a good player, and just the attitude and aggressiveness he brings to the defense, to me, is something you can't just bottle up, something you can't find in any player. To me, that is just indicative of him as a human being and what he brings to a team. And he's going to be surrounded by a lot of talent once we get healthy. For me, whatever you do, keep on Childress.
Speaker 2: So you are you keeping five guys? I'm keeping six, six corners. Who you're six?
Speaker 4: I have Kyrie elam Deron Bland Zion Childress, Booth, Izzy Carson.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fine, Yeah, I'm okay with that. So I guess mine would be six too.
Speaker 2: So that means were you keeping Andrew Booth.
Speaker 3: Yes, reluctantly, yes, yes, I would keep him right this second. The so that that brings our total to six four five for that would be twenty five players on defense. It means we have twenty four spots on offense remaining, and.
Speaker 4: Our only difference really is Tyres Sweet and uh and Uh I forgot his name though.
Speaker 3: Yeah mcquamu and Hall Yeah yeah, yeah, those are really the two biggest ones.
Speaker 2: Let's go quarterback. Get it out of the way. You know who three are, right, it's Deck, Joe and Will there. You're going to keep all three there, carrying not in that order.
Speaker 5: They're carrying all three, especially because you get to do the emergency QB rule, So they're keeping all three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, if that's the case, then you would put one on practice squad and they wouldn't count toward the fifty.
Speaker 2: You would bring it up. If you're keeping three, you're keeping three. They're still keeping three, okay, I think right now they're keeping Yeah, they kept three last year. Correct, No, it was two and one, two and one. The one was the emergency quarterback. Yeah, they kept Lance stash on, but he was or not practice quad. Ye, it wasn't on the practice squad. Does he not?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: So the emergency QB rule is that you can carry them on. They don't count against the fifty three, but they don't have to be on the practice squad. There there's a specific pocket that they say, really there's a specific pocket that they sit in.
Speaker 2: Because that's a new rule. They're keeping three. They're keeping three. Okay, let's just what they keep them three. What are we're doing? I think you need three? Yeah? Right? Running back? Running back? I'm going short on running back. Who are you taking? I have three? Okay? All right?
Speaker 4: Javonte Williams, Jayden Blue film OFFA.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: You're cutting Sanders, yes, cutting Molie Davis, yes, cutting Deuce Farm yes?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: What about Hunter Lipkey? Does he count in this conversation. No, not in my commerce. He's in He's in his full back. Okay, so you've got a full back there, Yeah, I think I'm.
Speaker 2: M man.
Speaker 5: Josh are in sink?
Speaker 2: Are you in some patigo? We are in sink like timber Lake? And are those are those?
Speaker 5: Those are my That's my three plus one. Hunter is my plus one. So I got Javonte, which islake and which ones?
Speaker 2: Which ones? Let's let the people decide. People decide.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, I got Javonte, Williams, Jayden Blue, Film Mafu And in my plus one it's Hunter Lipke fullback.
Speaker 2: I'm not running with two rookies in my running back room. I want Williams, Sanders Blue. That's what I've got. Cut Mafa's going, oh.
Speaker 8: Listen.
Speaker 3: Always not super high on MafA coming out of the draft. I think he's done nothing but impressed me through training camp. I still don't think his ceiling.
Speaker 2: Is as high as Blues, which that is the decision that comes down to it.
Speaker 3: And I don't think he's as ready of a ball carrier as Sanders and Williams are currently. If it was a different situation and at a different season, if one of those guys goes down. I'm confident in MafA to fill that role, So let me try and get him another the practice squad and we'll see what happens from there.
Speaker 5: My concern there is not that there's this unbelievable chance that MafA won't make the practice squad. My thing is I expect it more from Miles Sanders in this case, he's been hurt. Even prior to him being hurt, he showed some things, but it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't a training camp. It's running back. You can't see anything in these practices. We're in there in.
Speaker 5: Pads and shorts, so don't tell me they did so they didn't have So they didn't have padded practice.
Speaker 2: No, I said, pads and shorts.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, when they they were fully ye, brought to the rod. They were full go, not brought to the ground and.
Speaker 2: Hold at home.
Speaker 5: Was Davonte Williams even remotely more impressed than MOUs Sanders?
Speaker 2: Yes, not really what you have him as your lead? Yeah, because the film and everything backs it up. Okay. Were you more impressed with Jay and Blue or Miles Sanders? Yeah?
Speaker 9: I was.
Speaker 3: I was more impressed with Blue, Okay, so I would put blue as my number two.
Speaker 2: Okay, it is the decision is between Sanders and MafA. Okay, that is the decision three or four.
Speaker 5: So then the tiebreaker for me is good. It's a young guy, not nor not that it's a young guy. It's game film at the moment, most recent game film, preseason. So Miles sandersy comes back from injury.
Speaker 2: You're talking about the Ravens week two.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's all I got right now for him in a cowboy that's fair.
Speaker 2: But the run blocking business, for.
Speaker 5: It wasn't fantastic against the Rams either, and MafA was making some things happen, with the exception of penalties deleting some of his bigger.
Speaker 4: I agree with you, but but arguing for Kyle here in that moment, not that you need it is the run blocking was horrendous.
Speaker 2: Against the Ravens. I'm gonna whoop his cheeks now if we take our second break. I don't know if we know.
Speaker 3: Oops, let's take our second break. When we come back, we wrap up on the offensive side.
Speaker 8: At and T has a new guarantee. Because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by.
Speaker 9: Yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area, not guarantee place item in the bagging area. Place item in the bagging area.
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 8: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want and service you deserve, or we make it right burms and conditions supply is a att dot com slash guarantee for details.
Speaker 2: AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a.
Speaker 2: Bag of Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 3: That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 11: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you.
Speaker 5: Dear Doctor.
Speaker 7: My friend supported me during a tough time, but what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier?
Speaker 1: To cry out?
Speaker 11: Okay, this one's easy. I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy with ball. Make a play the playmaker at get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP to talking Cowboys back here on Talking Cowboys all right, Moving on to the wide receiver spot. We had to get out of here because there's a show behind us. Moving on to wide receiver Josh, get us started.
Speaker 4: Oh man, this is tough, all right, ceedee lamb, George Pickens. This is my list, your list, This is my list, all your personally, I don't hold any bearings to any other players for the longevity that they put into the Cowboys and learning the system or anything like that. Ceedee lamb, George Pickens, Come on to Turpin, Ryan Flinoy.
Speaker 2: Raysh On, Holden, you're taking four? No, he went more than four?
Speaker 4: Five was yeah, CD, George Pickens, Okay, come on to Turpin. Okay, Floornoy got it? Holding, Okay, hold it, holding, hold it.
Speaker 2: He's impression that much. Say your list one more time.
Speaker 4: Ceedee lamb, George Pickens, come on toping.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ryan stopped there. I was making sure I heard Turp. You didn't hear Jalen Tobert. I did not. You didn't hear Jalen.
Speaker 5: That was not and I was trying to figure out it was okay not providing for me right now? This is what I think they'll do, and Migo is going I R so this is to me, this is what makes the most sense. Ceedee lamb, George Pickens. They're gonna stick with Jalen Tobert. Now does that mean no, No, I'm telling you. I'm telling they will. I know fans don't want to hear that. Hey, I'm just telling you what they're going to do.
Speaker 2: I know what they're going to do, but that's not what I want to do.
Speaker 5: Robert Lamb, Cavante, Turpin, Ryan Flinoy, Traetion Holden. So that's my six? Yeah, so I flipped who did that flip from you to get toburd In?
Speaker 2: There? You had six? I got Holden? Did you put holding? I put holding in? I'm carrying six. I have five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay, I thought ill flip on yours and I don't want I don't want.
Speaker 3: Remember we had twenty four players here, we're at three quarterbacks, three running backs, one full back, five or six wide receivers.
Speaker 4: Oh, I have sixty players on mine fifty three?
Speaker 2: Is that a laugh fight?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: I was about to say, wait, that's part of this is my list guy, it's your list, right?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 2: Uh, with that, that would mean we have tight ends to go. So where what are you thinking with tight end?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jake Luke and Brev and Brevin span Ford isreving gonna be ready for the start of the year.
Speaker 5: That's a good question, because if he's not, then it's going to be me hold on, then the conversation is between Fant and Mayweather. Yep, I don't know because Fant got injured.
Speaker 2: You're talking about fair Weather fair Weather.
Speaker 5: Fant got injured against the Ravens, so he's now he's in the same cause Brevin span four like, could they play a roster game there and keep Fairweather on. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep fair Weather to do so.
Speaker 3: You might they really liked him, yeah, I mean he was their highest graded non drafted player on their board left whenever they signed it.
Speaker 5: I play roster chess, and I'm going Jake Luke Fairweather, and I would let a Fant and Brevin span Ford heel up and I'll make a new decision in four weeks.
Speaker 2: I would go Fan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if he's a vailable Fant is healthy, then Fan over over Fair. But if I'm playing roster chess, I get them. That's my chess move offense blind.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go Yep, we got what eleven players left? Ten players? Nine? Nine?
Speaker 4: Okay, go guiton, Nate Thomas Tyler, Smith, T. J. Bass Cooper, B. B. Brock, Hoffman, Tyler Booker, Turn Steele, and I'm gonna keep playing O'Collins m okay, experience For me, it's it's the experience. I get that he's not necessarily in football shape yet. I know he slimmed down, but.
Speaker 2: I will I will take that experience twenty two. I will take that half will take that experience for the most part.
Speaker 5: Tyler Guyton, Tyler Smith, Cooper BB, Tyler Booker, Terrence Steele, Nate Thomas, t J. Bass, Brock Hoffman, we had nine spots, a little yeah, yeah, I came, I denergy nice.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can't make it the brock squady onn thing. He probably could.
Speaker 5: I seem to make sure that my left tackle, my active left tackle depth chart is as decent as as decent as it can be. I get you because I was nervous because even if Tyler Guyton does return Week one, you gotta you know, knock on wheel.
Speaker 2: But you got a plan for if it's a whole other conversation.
Speaker 4: But it's not even a sure like as far as Tyler Guyton like, I think we're putting a lot of stock into his ability. At this point, he's having a better camp than he did last year, but going against the Eagles Week.
Speaker 2: One, I don't know, man, I don't know gym.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so again, what about you, I'm going heavy on tackle.
Speaker 3: I lost my roster because I was closing it out because I'm good that. I'm good with what you guys have.
Speaker 2: Good with it?
Speaker 3: All right, that's gonna do it for us here on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company.
Speaker 2: We'll be back on Thursday every show from here until the end of the season. Let's go back at.
Speaker 3: Nine am several times, so we're gonna start the morning off right with some Talking Cowboys. Appreciate you guys, or appreciate you guys joining us hopping in. We'll be back on Thursday for Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Roderiguez for Chris Beam in the back of Kylo Yoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: We'll see you Thursday.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.