Speaker 1: This is Let's Be Clear with Shannon Doherty. All right, welcome to Let's be Clear. I am Shannon Doherty. Today I have on I'm not even gonna say former co star. I'm going to say my favorite co star from nine o two to zero Brian Austin Green. Hi, Hi, what's up? Bag Chillan.
Speaker 2: It's so funny to be here because literally, what was it like four days ago? I put on Instagram? I was like, hey, you know, listeners, name some people that you would love to see, and then you hit me up and right away it was like, okay, let's do this, and then all and all of a sudden, here we are. It's crazy how fast that can happen?
Speaker 1: Do you like that? I answer like the questions that you put on for your fans on Instagram, and I'm like me.
Speaker 2: Because I loved to the list and it's like there's nothing. And then all of a sudden, I have this big blue check thing and it's like get the fight, of course, and the way you wrote it, like all you wrote was me. I was like, that's totally yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, why are we not doing this already? Like this is weird.
Speaker 2: I've been pitching the concept of this For a while, it just hasn't had all the stars haven't aligned on it.
Speaker 1: Well they aligned today because.
Speaker 2: You made them align. Because you're a gangster that way, don't get things done.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I like that. I feel like I haven't been a gangster since you and I were at the Roxbury.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, all the Roxberry was so good. That was so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What was that woman's what was that girl's name that that tried fighting with you? I remember that night because I remember, out of fucking nowhere, I was right next to you and literally we were walking past the table and she stood up and leaned over her table and hit you and then tried saying that you started to fight. I remember. I so remember that whole night because it just didn't make any sense. I've never seen anything like it. There's no rhyme or reason for any of it. And then the fact that she was just trying to claim that it was you is I you know what. I hope at some point she reaches out and she goes, Hey, it's me. I'm sorry for all that that went on. I'm not I'm not going to hold my breath for that.
Speaker 1: I was about to say that I was about to be like, I'm definitely not holding my breath.
Speaker 2: But that would be amazing if it happened.
Speaker 1: Were you impressed though, that I did not go down because she hit me hard. She hit you hard. She like that was like closed fists punch right in my shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I did not go down, And I literally like changed visualize, Yeah you did, but you went right back over to the table. We got all the people did the police came home. But I was like, I remember where the booth, well, I remember the whole thing. It's like one of those I don't have vivid memories, but that is what like I because it was remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then it was in the press that like I got arrested because she decided she was pressing charges again me, and I was like, dude, I didn't do anything, so I'm pressing charges against you. Like I would just have let it go and been like, all right, you're crazy. And maybe it was a dare. I didn't know, but I just know there was no reason for it whatsoever. I had not encountered her in the club, ID not even looked her way. I had no issues with anybody at their table.
Speaker 2: I'm still assuming she just wanted to press from it because at that point the show.
Speaker 1: Was she sued me. She wanted money. Oh that's right, yeah, she wanted money. Wait, I was they questioned me about all that. Yeah, yeah, you had to do a depo or something. You know what's crazy for?
Speaker 2: Uh, for as harmless as they claim marijuana to be, there were a lot of things. I don't.
Speaker 1: That's hysterical. But those were minus that incident, those were some fun times. It was good often you me, Tory Marky Mark. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, there's that like infamous picture of us thinking we were smart, you know, flipping off the two photographers down on the street through the window, thinking oh it's mirrored, they can't see and it's like a crystal clear shot.
Speaker 1: Were still clear shot, and nobody warned us that that those windows were not mirrored and that you could see right in.
Speaker 2: How about the fact they'll thank god paparazzi didn't exist at that point. There were the two photographers.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: There was Roger, who was the nice one, right, and then there was Woody. You know, there was like four or five others because they always chased me.
Speaker 2: They okay, they didn't chase me, you look better than me.
Speaker 1: Fine, No, I just gave them more stuff to photograph.
Speaker 2: But like the fact that we could go out to places and walk out and they would still be like, hey, do you mind if we get a shot? Like they were still there was still that level of normalcy, it seemed, compared to like when I went through paparazzi stuff with Meghan and it was like just fucking bananas. It was mayhem.
Speaker 1: It was like, I remember, it's so different, Like it wasn't thirty guys, but it was enough, and they were not nice. I remember Roger, one of my closest friends at that time. They would yell the most hateful stuff in the world to him just to get a reaction from him.
Speaker 2: Hoping that though that this would happen, because I see.
Speaker 1: It was always at One and the Brent Boat House, like seventies club I did.
Speaker 2: I did Roxbury mainly and then bar One. I mean I would get there early because we were promoting there doing that whole thing. So I had like I had great like back door avoid everyone access seeing your clubs. It's the only reason, it's literally the only reason I threw clubs.
Speaker 1: Was old were you when you were wearing clubs.
Speaker 2: Seventeenth right, I celebrated my nineteenth birthday at Bar One.
Speaker 1: How crazy is that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Bar One? Who was it? That was a part owner, Vince Vince Neil was a part owner at that time. He used to park his Lamborghini right out front. I remember that.
Speaker 1: I just remember the doorman. Like the first thing I was told was if you want to get into Bar One, mention his Bruno Magli shoes. Really, I had no idea what kind of shoes those were, but I did it and I got in. I don't know if it was the shoes or because it was on nine O two and zero, but I didn't want to assume I would be, you know, let right in, so I talked about his shoes.
Speaker 2: We were. We were on Sunset during like day day of sunset. It felt like like with all the all like all the big clubs were open and that like nightlife was on Sunset Boulevard. It doesn't seem like that's so much the case now. It seems like everything is branched out a little bit. But the sunset was like.
Speaker 1: Room. Do you remember the Rainbow Room?
Speaker 4: Was that?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 1: That was like during my rocker days?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that was uh Nick. Nick Adler ran the Rainbow Room and the Roxy New Adler's son who I hung out with all the time. So we used to go to the Rainbow Room because we could get free food there. So so we'd go with Nick and we there was a booth in the kitchen, so we would sit in the kitchen and order food and it was all it was all covered that And then his dad also owned La Salsa on pH where the where the statue is still of the guy holding the platter. That's yeah, La Salsa. So we used to go there because Nick had his dad had like a guest house with a racquetball court and basketball court in it, and Nick lived there and it was right at the top of the hill, like on the opposite side of Pch. So we would come down the hill, go to the Salsa, eat for free, go back. It was the greatest.
Speaker 1: Nobody was feeding me for free.
Speaker 2: Aaron, No, Aaron Spelling wasn't feeding you for free. I was just gonna make a joke. No, he wasn't, he was. No.
Speaker 1: There were moments, yeah, I mean they had an amazing cook. I remember her. She was fantastic and she would know at Spelling's house and she would make me food whenever I was there.
Speaker 2: You come over. Yeah, it was like the White House, like you could just request anything.
Speaker 1: Pretty much, Yeah, pretty much. What was her name? Nan? I think she was awesome. So yeah, when I was at the Rainbow Room, I think I was hanging out with Guns and Roses type people.
Speaker 2: Like Eddie Veteran stuff, right, weren't you. No, it wasn't around that time.
Speaker 1: No, it was more like Slash and those guys, not that I really knew them, and not that they would even remember me.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sure they would remember you.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I always do the same thing. I always like like discredit myself and I'm like, oh, so and so doesn't remember, And then you see and they're like, of course we fucking remember you, like you crazy? You were like you were on the biggest show on television. You were damn the star of the biggest show on television. Yes, so were you, but you were you were Brenda Walsh. That show was about Brandon and Brenda moving to Beverly Hills, so totally different situations. So I would assume that everyone that ever crossed your path, especially during that time, absolutely remembers it knows what they were wearing where it was.
Speaker 1: We should give ourselves more credit for we should. Yeah, all right, So the next time then I see somebody I know, I will you should be like, it's fucking me, bitch, let's go right. Instead, I like drift off to a wall somewhere and become a flower. Yeah yeah, and say to myself, they will never remember meeting me. And it's far too humiliating to go up and say, hey, do you remember I met you? Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: For them to look at me with that confused look on their face.
Speaker 2: You know, it's really funny, you know. When I did that, it's like somber fucking up for a second. But when we were at Luke's wake at that house and Quentin Tarantino was there because they had just shot Once upon a Time in Hollywood, and I had met Quinn at the Golden Globes a few years before with Megan, and he was so kind. He was like, oh, I loved you in this movie, like he was great. And I saw him at the thing and I didn't say hello to him because I was like, there's no way he'd remember me.
Speaker 1: I had to say hi to him because I was intimidated.
Speaker 2: Well I was intimidated, but also I was like, there's no of course he.
Speaker 1: Would remember you. Of course he would remember you. Well that's what I just said to you. So but he came up to you and made a point of saying, you know, I loved you in that movie. And was he referring to Domino Domino. Yeah, also one of my favorite movies, and you were hysterical in it. I loved you in that movie so much. And again, just good movie. I've seen that movie. I don't even know how many times. Tony Scott was one of my all time favorite directors.
Speaker 2: That's a huge Tony saw. I'm that way with Man on Fire.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've seen Man on Fire thirty five times.
Speaker 2: No matter at what point it is in that movie. If I walk through the room and it's on, I'll stop and watch the rest of it. I don't care where it is. It's that movie to me was like perfectly crafted. Yeah, perfect blend of what Tony shot, what he painted with the camera, what Denzel did, like they were just the on all cylinders. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that was amazing. Yeah, So all right, let's go to nine oh two and zero for a minute here, it's going to be longer than a minute, and you know it. Okay, what was that because you were pretty much the youngest. I think maybe Doug was was Doug younger than you might have been. Doug might have been one year younger than you, maybe think a year. No, I think it was like maybe less than like my months. So you guys were the youngest. You stayed on Doug did not, so by proxy, you were the youngest. What was that like for you being the youngest? I know for me, there were some people that were probably what late twenties or early thirties, and they sort of had their shit together already because they had already gone through their twenties and their teens, and we were going through it with the attention of nine to two one zero on us, right, And I would have benefited from some of that maturity for sure, But you also, I don't think could expect a complete level of maturity out of for me an eighteen nineteen year old and you even younger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean it's I think the reality is the experiences that we had being the ages that we were and not being as together as we as we would have wanted to be helped create the people that we are now all the crazy stuff that we went through, So we were absolutely supposed to be in that situation at that maturity level. It sucked for me being younger only because like, everybody was great when we were on set and we were working, everybody was great. It was really like an even kind of playing field, and we all had fun and we all joked around and we did that. But like when the guys went on a trip to Germany, I think it was at one point, and I was too young, so was Ian and Jason and Luke that went and I hadn't even heard about it because I know they were like, he can't even fucking travel on his own, like what you know. So so I would notice those age differences in things like that, in going to certain events and going to bars for a thing and going to stuff.
Speaker 1: I wasn't necessarily.
Speaker 2: Included in those things, but not because they didn't want me around, but because literally I couldn't have been around legally.
Speaker 1: Could Yeah, legally I was too young.
Speaker 2: So I think that's why Tory and I connected as much as we did, because she was about the same age. She's I think she's only like a month older than me. So we had a lot of the same things in common. We were in the same grades in school, we had the same things coming up up.
Speaker 1: Plus you had me in common. Let's be real, you had meet in common.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 1: No, you had a lot in common, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Sure, and I we had met each other and been friends, like it seems like ten years before that. I mean we were young when we met. You were still doing I think you were still doing a little House on the Prairie before you even started doing Our House with Chad. I think we met. Yeah, I think it was like you.
Speaker 1: Were those like weird Hollywood kids parties, the.
Speaker 2: Fucking the Alfi soda pop parties.
Speaker 1: They were fun.
Speaker 2: Alfie parties were interesting because it was, like I always tell people, during that time, for me my experience in Hollywood, there were only like fifteen to twenty actors young actors, so we all kind of knew each other, and we all went to the same things because we were too young to go to the clubs and go to the stuff. And you know, Johnny Depp and all them were in kind of the next grade level compared to compared to what we were doing. So I loved those Alfie soda pop parties. They were amazing. I like, I'll never forget them. The New York Seltzer used to sponsor them, and I remember it was like in ballrooms at hotels, and it was I just felt so cool going to those because I was young. I I hadn't even gone to my first club until I was with David Faustino and there was a club on like Hollywood Boulevard that we went to, and I remember I was like, oh my god, I'm in a club, Like this is the craziest thing ever. I felt like such a cool guy, you know, at like sixteen years old, to be like.
Speaker 1: At that point in time, because she had.
Speaker 2: Choices something horrible. I'm sure. I yeah. I So I dressed better in life than I did once nine or two when I was because so much of the David Silver wardrobe was so fucking terrible. But it was almost like a joke, like we would I remember going in and we would go through fabric, like schools of fabric. I'd go, ooh, let's try and make some pants out of that. But god, I had some of the worst fucking wardrobe ever. Truly, some of the w Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was really used to.
Speaker 2: Call me Awning Boy because I had a shirt that was the same as the Beach Club awning that we out from the stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would come to set dressed in your wardrobe, and I remember the boys would kind of rib you a little bit, and the girls look at you and be like myself it bro yeah everyone and be like, oh my god, I'm so sorry, And I was like, yeah, whatever, It's like yeah to get personally, you were like, this is cool. I'm doing my own thing. I got a look going on for David Silver, but you did you really created him as a character, because you did not just like that in real life. Otherwise I need to hang out with you. Do you remember your auditioning process for not at all?
Speaker 2: What was I It was at Aaron's office, I was I remember I was friends with Doug, so we went in and did a chemistry read together. I only went in like two or three times because David Silver was a much smaller character at that point, and I think I was one of the first people cast on the show.
Speaker 1: Really, did you have to go to network and read for the thirty executive?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Never, what I read an Aaron's office and they were like, cool, you're in. I was like, hey, right on. And so then I remember going to the Fox lot and I saw like Gabrielle and her like a little red convertible like she had booked it. When in, we said hi to each other at the gate, and I had to go in and read with other actors auditioning for Steve and I was late, of course, so Ian was like, never let me live down the fact that he was supposed to read with me and I wasn't there yet. Yeah, had read with someone else, but yeah, I didn't have to. Thank god, I didn't have to go through all those like jump through all the crazy network hoops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it was intense, you know, back then, I mean Jason and I spoke about it because there was something like thirty it felt like thirty executives in the room. It might have only have been twenty, and it felt so daunting and very.
Speaker 2: Bunch of network tests. I never did for an on Tozer. But that's the worst because they usually hold them in like the screening room, theater room on their lot, in their offices, and it's you with whatever actor you're reading with, and then there's like thirty people sitting in an audience just completely silent. Yeah, and you're supposed to put on your best performance for them, and they shuffle you in. You go down, you do the scene, you're like okay by everyone, and then they shuffle you out. They shuffle the next person in, So it's this weird like cattle call thing.
Speaker 1: Well, and if you're lucky, you get to read with another actor. Most of the time, almost all of my network stuff, I think I read opposite a casting director and then they would ask you to wait and they would narrow it down and then bring you in with the other number one choice. So it's like if I'm the number one Brenda so far in Jason's number one brand, and then we would read together, right, which is even worse because then you're doing it twice.
Speaker 2: But then they would read each of you with other actors and all of that stuff. Yeah. Yeah, the whole chemistry aspect of it is so tough. I did that for Freddy. I had to do a network test, which was super daunting, But luckily Freddie is so cool and he was on stage like he was the one that I read with for everything.
Speaker 1: I forgot what I for call it that you worked with Freddie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, we did it. We did a fulld That's how. That's how I became really good friends with him. And Sarah was Sarah used to Sarah was fucking great. She would come to set. Uh every week we would have our tape our tape day, and she would come and bring like and banandas and like, she would be out at the craft service table, like setting stuff.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: She was amazing and she was there every single week, and Freddy was amazing. And I had so much fun on that because that was the first time that I had done like a sitcom comedy, and every audition for a comedy that I had had leading up to that, I always got the same note by manager and agent, like was he sick? Does he like? Does he not like the script?
Speaker 1: Was that?
Speaker 2: Like? I always got the worst, the worst notes of like oh he just seemed like he didn't want to be there. He seemed like, you know, his dog died, Like it was just worse. I was like, maybe I should maybe I shouldn't be doing comedies. And then I went in for that one and Bruce Helford, the guy that was doing it, I had gone in and met with him on a show that he was going to do with Johnny Gilecki, and he really got like the humor that I was doing, and it was just in the room with him. I didn't go to network test, the show never went that far. So then when when they brought me in for Freddie, it was the same kind of thing, Like I had a really good rapport with him. Freddie's fucking great. So it was like that was the first time where I'd done a comedy and I really realized like, oh shit, like I'm funny, Like I can do this, Like I figured out what an audience would react to him, what they wouldn't, and like just the biggest confidence booster in the world for me. So I went from that, and then all of a sudden, everybody at all the different networks, they're like, oh, Brian's really funny. But it's like I'm doing the same fucking thing I've been doing for the past like fifteen years. You guys all thought I sucked. There's nothing has changed.
Speaker 1: You all thought that my dog.
Speaker 2: Died every told me my dog died every week. Apparently, you know, the only difference is that I now am working for a guy that fucking believes in me. Yeah, and so he gives me a shot to like do me Like he would write stuff. But then if I went off page or went off book and improved a little bit, he was he would just fucking keep it rolling. He was great that way. And then I ended up working with him a few other times. I did Anger Management with him. That was he did that show with Charlie Sheen. She originally brought me in for the first episode to do just one scene to play his current girlfriend's ex husband. So I had a whole scene like in there, and I just had the one scene and I went home and I was like, hey, good luck everybody. I'd met Charlie on the Warner Brothers lot. And then Bruce called me like six months later and he was like, hey, do you want to come back and do like forty something more of these? It's like, yeah, fuck, yeah, I do. What is that a trick question? Like as an actor to get a pick up for forty plus episodes, I'll totally do it. But yeah, you know, it's like it's until you do something new and people haven't seen you in it. Executives in a lot of cases aren't fucking creative. They can't see outside of what is on the page and whether you fit the image they had in their mind or not. I remember watching an interview that Quentin Tarantina was doing and he was talking about that when he gets on set, he always lets his actors do the first couple takes the way they would want to do them, because he's like, who, who's going to try more shit? And like, go for it more than these fucking people that I've hired to play these characters. Then you can always tool from there. But executives, a lot of executives, I don't want to say all of them, but a lot of them don't have that frame of mind. They don't have that mind state of like, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like when you were you were I don't know if you were told us all the time, But when I was going to audition, I was told to dress like the character and do my makeup in my hair like the character. And I was saying, well, it's a period piece and I'm not going out and renting a costume.
Speaker 2: You're playing a rocker. It's like, I don't listen to rock music. I have no like, I don't what do you so I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Go buy shit, right. It just was always weird, and I don't really think I ever participated in that. Maybe my career would have been better.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but you've had a good, long career though I've had a pretty blessed career. I participated in that, Like my mom would make me remember when.
Speaker 2: When we were younger. I don't know if you had one, but I had a headshot that I had like six different on the back, so there was like the main shot it like me with glass is looking studious me like fixing a bike.
Speaker 3: For me, it was like pass and then address yes, giving all the different looks like this is what I could do.
Speaker 2: And I never understood that. So I literally like they put me in the different clothes and it was like okay, so now I'm wearing this like I am I supposed to do something different, but the camera like how is how does this work? I just want to get paid my toys, like I don't you know, I don't I don't care about the professional aspect of all of this. I just hire me and pay me because I really want the money. Like that's that was. That was honestly where my head was when I was a kid, I had no concept.
Speaker 1: Of what that age is saying to themselves, Oh my dream is to be an actor and transform myself into other characters, and you're not really saying that at.
Speaker 2: The age of the only reason I even started was a kid on the fucking bus with me going to elementary school was doing commercials and he always had toys, and I was like, that's how do you have enough money to have all these toys every time you get on the bus, like video games and things. He's like, oh, I do commercials, and I was like, sign me up, let's do it. I went and met with his agent. I met with his agent. I had to read a Smucker's commercial and I had to read a scene from Little House on the Prairie audition for the agent, and the agent was like, yeah, you suck, but you're cute, so you know, well, let's give it a shot. And I didn't book anything for a year. I did. I had to go to acting class, I had to do all sorts. I kept you, Yeah, because there were only like twelve kids, what choice did they have. It was like Fox with nine to two and zero early on, like, you know, nobody was watching us, but what were they going to fill our fucking space with right?
Speaker 1: Like what you know?
Speaker 2: What? Like?
Speaker 1: What do they do?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Because if we were on NBC or CBS or any of those.
Speaker 1: It might have been a completely different story. We would have been canceled, we would have been done after the pilot. Right for you, obviously, again we sort of said that you were the youngest. Yeah, and along with Tory the different things that transpired. But how was that for you as a kid and then growing into your age and into your character and into your position on the set. At what point did you feel that you had matured enough or old enough for them to start listening to your voice. Was there a moment for you where you felt like they listened better?
Speaker 2: Damn it?
Speaker 1: Respect me, not even respect, but just if you had a suggestion for your character or you had an opinion about something.
Speaker 2: So I had suggestions and opinions early on because we had been acting. We'd been doing it for a while, you'd been doing it for a while. We met way before the show doing it for a while, so like we weren't rookies coming into this, you know, it was like Wes. So I had ideas early on about David Silver and I David Silver, Like there wasn't much direction that was given to me early on, Like I was, I jumped in and put on the bad wardrobe, into the shit and was like let's go, and was all about creating a character. So I never I never really had that issue, thank god, with Aaron or Paul or anybody that was involved. What I had though, was growing up on camera doing the show was hard for me because as I was getting older, it was the line between David and Brian got like fainter and fainter, and it was and it was hard at that point. The writers would see things I was doing, They'd go, ooh, David should be doing that also, and then was like okay, now, j right, everything is linked. My music career is fucking linked to David. It was like there were you know, the dancing and stuff that we were always doing out of clubs. I did that at a Rapp party and all of a sudden it was like, oh, David dances, and then they just like continued to run with it. Understandably, I'm not faulting them for it, but as as a young guy starting from seventeen to twenty seven, and those were like my most formidable years I went through. I remember when my album didn't do well. That was the first time in my life that I had had to deal with failure. Ever nine O two one zero blew Up did well acting wise, like once I started booking commercials and shit, I just was booking stuff all the time, and I was super fucking busy, not slant every I did, like seventy five commercials. I remember, I was one of the first of our has to buy a house because I had money from commercials. I bought a house in Burbank when like Jason was in a condo and you've bought a house, not either right before you write it after it Like you were always really independent, I thought, or maybe not, Maybe you were. Maybe you were running a brothel just outside of Vegas. That's probably what I was really crinute to work every morning. I do. I'll never forget though us driving on the four or five.
Speaker 1: I didn't buy a house, I think until it was like twenty one or something, twenty one or twenty two. I think I bought my first house, and I bought it out in Malibu.
Speaker 2: Yeah in Malibu, you didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I least purchased a house and then ran out of money and couldn't afford it.
Speaker 2: That happened Malibu compared to Burbank. I loved him buy. I loved that My first house was in Burbank and yours is in Malibu. You were like, let me buy top of the market, and I was like, let me just buy something that I you know, it was.
Speaker 1: One of the only smart things I did back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was you didn't you haven't been in Alabu the whole time.
Speaker 1: No, So I bought it and then I I lived there for a little bit and I found the commute was really hard, and so I moved my parents in. I gave the house to my parents, and I moved up to Do you remember my house off of Moholland on Sumatra.
Speaker 2: That's what I was just going to say. I remember that one and you were in that house when you when you were doing charm also you were there for a little while.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not. I definitely moved on because that had Yeah, I rented a lot of houses, lots of money down the drain with the rental thing, but uh, you know, I couldn't figure out I wasn't settled obviously, So do you, because I recall when tensions started happening on the set, and it was always awesome to me that the boys got along so well. You guys were always very supportive of each other and congratulating each other, and it wasn't necessarily the same with the girls.
Speaker 2: And I think let's just say it wasn't the same with the girls instead of it wasn't always necessarily the same, because that's I feel like you're sugarcoating that situation a little bit. That was it got it. I'd like, I remember it got really rough and competitive for you all, Like it was, Yeah, that was not an easy situation to watch, and we used to I remember the guys like we used to talk about that. I remember at one point when there was a fight out front, and I and and I were there, and so we were the two that stepped into the kind of the middle of it to keep it from escalating.
Speaker 1: It was very hard because I think the expectation that was coming my way was that I should not be doing as much press as I was doing. And what nobody realized is that I didn't actually enjoy taking my weekends and going and doing photo shoots and doing publicity. But I had a network, and I had producers who were telling me I had to.
Speaker 2: Go do it right this Saturday.
Speaker 1: This is what you're doing right, and you say yes, even though you were exhausted and you're sort of fed up of answering the same questions from multiple people in interviews, and even though there are moments where super cool to be on the cover of a magazine again like Rolling Stone, Jason and I spoke about that, but the rest, all the rest, I was like, I was pretty exhausted, and I was going through a lot of my own growing up, and it just seemed that I was really getting the brunt of why is this sh show about Brenda and Brandon?
Speaker 2: And yeah, absolutely were.
Speaker 1: Well because it's about the Washes. I didn't write the show right, absolutely, and you know, I didn't cast myself. I got cast. I felt from my job right, and but it felt very hard. And the and the fight. What's really funny about that fight that was between myself and Jenny and it started, I don't know if you remember why it started. She was doing uh, she was calling it pants down Day, where she would pull the pants on the on the on some of the crew members in a funny way, but some of them were getting pretty annoyed with it. And then I reversed it and I said skirt up Day. And she always wore the men's Calvin Klein boxer shorts under her clothes, so I didn't think it was that big of a deal. And so I did skirt up Day, and oh my god, she lost it on me and I was just not in the mood to back down.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there was there was a lot. I mean, that was fuck. What was everybody going through personally in life at that point, because that was a huge there was a huge moment for everyone. And it's like, it's like I really now try and take it from an angle of trying to understand what was going on because I was, we were young, and I was so fucking selfish at that point. I was like, what is it, you know, trying to figure out how everything had something to do with me, and it's like, it's not fucking about you.
Speaker 1: Stop it, right.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine what everybody was going through. And I talk about this with Tiffany, like, I you know, Tiffany came on, Poor fucking Tiffany came on the show. I'd never been in a real serious relationship before. I was incredibly jealous every time she would fucking have to work with anybody else because we'd already been doing the show for four years, like this is my family, this is you know. I used to bring Tiffany to events so she knew everybody from then all of a sudden, she's, you know, doing like sex scenes and shit with Pete with people that were like my family and my brothers.
Speaker 1: It was, yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 2: So I remember, like I was very uh, I was really just fucking jealous and like oysterous and like, didn't I made it really hard for Aaron. I made it really hard for Chuck Rosen. I made it really hard for people because it was like I was trying to without making demands, make demands of like, you know, don't do this again to me, like this is you don't have to do this, let's do you, like, really putting fucking pressure on people, And now, looking back on it, I can't imagine what that was like for her, right, I can't imagine what it was like for her being with me for three years at that point and the hostage person set and having to do these scenes, but then having her fucking boyfriend who she lives with. By the way, freaking out the way that I was well like, I cannot imagine. That's also just growing pains. I mean, listen, there's a difference. We all see each other, we all get along.
Speaker 1: Now. I don't have any animosity towards anyone. I'm like you. I sort of look and say, we were so young, and we were growing up and stretching our wings and learning how to use our voice and what that meant, and figuring out relationships in real life. And you know, I was with an abusive husband for that last season, and I had a lot of bad boyfriends. If you remember that, I had the worst taste. I still perhaps do. Broken.
Speaker 2: That's all you just need, do You just need to have somebody come in and recalibrate your picker.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm just I'm never picking for myself again. Somebody else has to do it. But because I'm just terrible. I think Rob was probably my absolute best boyfriend I ever had, for sure seven years two with him, so he was great the rest bye bye. But I think I give us more allowance now to forgive ourselves and to forgive others for being friggin kids. Working on that show and having that amount of publicity and attention and fame, and yeah, it's even with Jason when he was on, I talked to him about getting fired and what that was like and what he must have felt because there were only a few people who knew what I was going through at the time. And I'm not going to rehash it here because they can listen to the podcast with Jason. But I think once I got fired, I was angry for a little while and thought, why didn't anybody defend me? Why didn't anybody understand what I was going through between my dad and my husband? But then later to me it was why weren't you more transparent? Why didn't you let people know? And why didn't you ask for help? Then again, why didn't anybody sit down with me and say, this is what's going to happen. You're about to get fired because we're fed up, so we're instead of just jumping to hey, let's fire her, have a conversation. I also remember Aaron Nuver spoke to me never having a conversation, just all of a sudden, Bam, your fire, Channet, which is a pretty awful thing to do to a person when they're helping support a family as well, so it messes with your livelihood. However, I definitely look back at that time and think, all right, I can live with what happened. That's fine. I get it. I one hundred percent get it. I also think that for some of you, not all of you, but for some of you, particularly you, because we had known each other before and we were clothes, how must have been hard.
Speaker 2: Oh that was that. I I'll never forget that phone call. Like we were all sitting in Paul's office and Aaron was on speakerphone and everybody was going around the room and talking about it, and I remember I was just like, not in agreement with anybody else in the room. And that was one of the That was one of the only times early on that like I really because I tried to be as agreeable as possible and like not rock the boat and kind of be friendly with everyone and do all that, but that was one of those Like I remember when the conversation came up and they were they were talking about you not being there, and I was just like, I don't I don't agree with any of you that are in this room, So I'm just gonna sit in my spot because I was so fucking out numbered. It's there, was there was, it was the entire cast. Paul was there, Betty was there, there, it was. It was a pretty sizable fucking room. And everyone was like at that point, really playing the thing of like, oh, yeah, no, you know, it's just really it's tough. She's getting a lot of bad press, and it's probably best for us if you know, if she's not here in that and I I didn't agree, not only because I have known you so long, but because fucking ninety percent of that press, I was with you, like it was.
Speaker 4: I was right by your side, and so was our producer's daughter right totally, so was Toy. Yeah, and we if I was late, she was late because we drove to work together all the time.
Speaker 2: I always used to say to people in interviews and stuff, the common question was like, you know, uh, how's everything going with Shannon. You know, she can be such a bitch, And always I was like, I do not understand. That was the first like real example to me of sexism within the business because I and I used to say this to people all the time. I would say, you know, if if a guy was acting like Shannon. He would be incredibly decisive with what he wants to do, you know, very proud of his work, very you know, up to fight for himself. And but like and he would just be hailed as this incredible professional on set. I was like, but because it's a woman doing it, you label her right away as a bitch. I was like, I don't, I don't get it. I've I've always said to people, you are an incredible example of someone that is has always been incredibly kind, always to everyone. I've seen you around everybody. But at the same time, you're very good at balancing being kind with being sure of who you are and what you want and what is okay and what is not. And you will fight to the death for people, and you are like, you are very strong that way, and it's it's an amazing quality because not a lot of people have that. They either sort of succumb to everything and they just like bend over and they just take what, you know, whatever it's supposed to have and they go yes, sir, no sure, or somebody is just an asshole to everybody and is selfish and nobody wants to fucking work with them. You somehow have found a fucking middle ground. That is so admirable. It's so And I've watched you do it your entire career. You did it on nineo two and oh, I've watched you do it uncharmed. I've watched like I've watched you do it in your relationships. I've watched you do it with people around you. I to this day, I don't run into people that ever have a bad thing to say about you.
Speaker 4: Ever.
Speaker 2: Nobody ever, like, oh I had a run in with her and she was really mean, or she was really distant, or she was really strange. Nothing ever.
Speaker 1: You know, there's no guest stars from nine to two zero or charm that could say that they weren't allowed to look me in the eyes or speak to me that was not me. No, that I definitely was not that person. All right, Brian, there is just way too much to fit all into one episode to hold that thought. And let's continue in a bonus episode