Speaker 1: My question is I haven't found an adequate answer. So Trump's doing a lot of stuff, signing a lot of papers. What was stopping Biden from doing? Just this is my question ramming stuff through?
Speaker 2: Right, this is my question.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's a combination of like weakness and he doesn't actually want good stuff to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, he had the power to do plenty of stuff and he just didn't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he really was putting it out there like his fucking hands are tight. I'm like, well, I mean you could just sign a bunch of papers like this dude is doing and let the courts sort it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah. His assertion would be if I do this, then we'll do that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But it's it was like dumb on his face. Yeah, it's just the whole we go they go low, we go high. Yeah, miss Yeah, they're just like that is their entire philosophy.
Speaker 4: It's very frustrating where it's just.
Speaker 2: Like I thought the couldn't do shit. It's just why was he always throwing his hands? Yeah, that's it goes back to my theory that he just had a profound futility fetish Biden where like he he passes bills that then get shot down and then goes home and like Jack's off to that feeling somehow like that's that's what he's in it. Well, that's good stuff.
Speaker 4: Just justice theater.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that the results for Democrats speak for themselves is they don't actually want they want this also, yeah, or they don't mind some of the bad stuff and they like all the financial.
Speaker 2: Stuff, right yeah. So someone there's a tweet that was like I get to choose between the klu Klux Klan and Lockheed Martin every four years until the asteroid hits, and that does like what it is. I there is an aspect of the psychology of like, you know, being raised Catholic, Like I think like mel Gibson and Joe Biden both have this thing where like there's some honor and it's it's in. It's in like the Rocky movies too, where it's like the thing that is cool is like getting the ship kicked out of you, like that is somehow the honorable thing I was raised with that I like, you know, like Karate Kid is also this way. These stories were like how many times you get exactly and that to no effect, for no purpose, like I really like Rocky.
Speaker 4: You know they count the knot down in that's against you.
Speaker 2: Man, you're losing so bad on points like you're getting also like smoked, you then do have to wear it is it's a little thing, exactly.
Speaker 4: It's the number of times you get back off and then and.
Speaker 2: Then went yes exactly. But they have a loser mentality that is uh like hurting people. I just think he really like has that, like he thinks there's honor in doing what he perceives as the right honorable thing and fucking losing badly and being like, but I remember a time when I could have, you know, grab steak and eggs with Strom Thurman, and it's just like, well that's what, Yeah, that's on you for you shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 4: Liver and onions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well Strom had liver and onions. Joe. Joe was always the steak and eggs, carried it in his lunch pail on the fucking train. It was cold by the time it got there. Yeah, I don't know. I I truly think there's like something I keep talking about his futility fetish, and I I think like there's something to it, like legit that there's like something about getting the ship beat out of you, and like the way that some versions of Catholicism like interpret, uh, you know the story of Jesus that like really fetishizes that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it was bad to worship a guy who got his ass completely handed to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, there are different parts that you can focus on. But if your main focus is the getting your ass handed to him, and you make a movie that is two hours of him just getting whipped brutally and like that is the meaning of his life for you as far as you're concerned, then yeah, it's gonna send you down some weird paths.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because people.
Speaker 1: Really do focus on the torture aspect instead of like the cool stuff like like.
Speaker 4: The wine thing water taking.
Speaker 5: The end of his life, like if the yeah, philosophy is a foot.
Speaker 3: Until you shoot the moon via divine magic, Like yeah, where where does the bad ship?
Speaker 2: Because we talking about crypto now, Brian, We're always talking about crypto. Hello the Internet and welcome to this week trend edition of at Least Guys Stay of iHeart Radio. Yes, very precise my mic sounds Nights. I'm thrilled to be joined in this episode. In Air miles seat by a very funny TV writer and producer the host of the Josas Racist podcast. It's Andrew Up, oh Man. So good, so good, so good.
Speaker 4: Life is going good. World good.
Speaker 2: Let's just go with that. Let's just say every day everything good.
Speaker 4: At least we got a little rain in La.
Speaker 2: We did get a little rain. Uh, that's my underrate it is we needed it so bad, didn't and we needed it.
Speaker 3: I guess we're gonna We're just our city government is simply not gonna tell us how much toxic sludge the rain generated.
Speaker 4: A toxic sludges. Yeah, how toxic is it? It can't be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The the air is so clear now, which is so very very nice after you know, the wildfires to to be able to like see hills and you know, plant things that were you know, you you had to squinch to even know we're there for a while now. But that does beg the question where'd all that stuff go? Those in the air before? And it's on the ground and on the ground and the water. Yeah, so I guess it's like it's just fucked up. Best case scenario where in the water. Best case scenario means in the ocean, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Probably, yeah, yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: All right, Andrew, this is the episode where we tell people what was trending over the weekend. But first we let them get to know us a little bit better by telling them something we think is overrated, something we think is underrated. Why don't I start us off with something I think is overrated. I just heard that. I hadn't heard this in a while, but I heard somebody say it's best thing since sliced bread this morning, and in the context of our recent discussion on processed food, Yeah, that one hits different. I'm gonna say, because I don't know, it's it's just the go to, you know, exhibit for greatest invention? Why did people not have?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 2: I have so many knives now, not to brag, but like I got sore. I can. I can slice the fuck out of bread, and you know, I try to buy loaves of bread that yeah, like the whole ass loaves of bread like a fucking g And I don't know, like, so the efficiency not it's not that much more efficient. My number of knives I have my knife drawers overwhelming. In many cases, the only way it's scientifically possible to have sliced bread that's not like hardened into a series of like monoliths, is with loads of ultra processed I was.
Speaker 3: Gonna say that that is probably the the actual innovation of slice bread has to be like preservatives.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, they didn't. It's not just somebody thought of cutting the bread. It's like somebody invented a chemical that you could put on the bread to make it. Yeah, it's like being like the best best invention since pre rolled cigarettes started taking us to flavor town. All right, I mean I.
Speaker 3: Get if you don't have the preservatives, you get a feastables just mold all the way up and down.
Speaker 4: That's right, Dale is the best case scenario, right exactly.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. I I do love a nice whole loaf of bread, take it home, put it in a a big bag, and uh it usually stays push for like a few days.
Speaker 4: This is crazy.
Speaker 3: My my overrated is eating healthy because I bought myself a loaf of wonderbread this last week. Can I just tell you, as a grown ass man who is mostly spent his recent year and a.
Speaker 4: Half try to eat well, wonderbread is so good.
Speaker 2: It's so fucking good. It's incredible. It's so wild. Yeah, I was, I was talking you. I tried. I had a crustable for the first time the other day, and it's basically like wonderbread turned into a hot pocket.
Speaker 3: Crustaball is It's like a peanut butter jelly inside.
Speaker 4: Of of like a white bread, a white.
Speaker 2: Bread like strudle, you know, like maybe yeah, just a giant white wonder bread ravioli. And I was like, holy shit, this is The texture of the bread is so pillowy.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, I guess it's just like white people bow or like right, yeah, because it's that it's all the stuff.
Speaker 4: It's like bleached flour.
Speaker 3: It's a little sweet or a lot sweet in case of across the balls, and it's just like a like a thing you can kind of hold your hand.
Speaker 4: That is like, oh my god. Can I just say I did.
Speaker 3: Probably see this on a cooking YouTube somewhere, but my pro tip for making a sandwich with wonderbread.
Speaker 4: You can't toast in the toaster. I mean you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't do this by toasting the toaster, but use a skillet to toast only one side of.
Speaker 2: It, Okay, just one side in butter or you're just like putting it raw. I was.
Speaker 3: I was not like wiping out my cast iron super efficiently. So there was kind of just the residual seasoning of whatever the fuck, but I didn't add extra fat. But basically having one crispy side of the bread and one like wonderful hilloy side, so fucking good, My god, crust goes out, which so like it's basically like goes inside crusty side goes inside crusty. You use that as the basis for like your mayonnaise or your you know, mustards or whatever normal sandwich, and then so outside you get like super super pillowy. But then when your teeth go in, you find a crunch in the middle.
Speaker 2: Well, people probably didn't know they were getting one of like a point counterpoint crossfire style show today. But my overrated as sliced bread, you're underrated is wonderbread. Yeah yeah, and we solved it. I think I think you're right and I'm wrong. But maybe I just feel like we need a better like exhibit A for great innovations. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's more your point.
Speaker 3: Also silly to I mean, look, it's gonna be the great innovation is gonna be once again the polio vaccine in about fucking five years. The once we have a generation of children fucking nimed by polio, we're gonna want the vaccine again allegedly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll see he's getting confirmed or I don't know, maybe not, he's getting examined. Uh yeah, you know he's got his confirmation hearing this week. RFK. We'll see how that goes. As we talked about last time with Pete Hegseth, where everyone was like this guy's there's got no chance. It's like literally almost everybody makes it through. Like everybody gets through.
Speaker 3: It's I mean, it's this this is sort of baked into the election, like like it's it's gonna happen. It doesn't really matter. I mean it does, but it doesn't matter more than what already happened. I guess, like it's it's just like like we're you know where we're finally cashing in. You know, all the Supreme Court decisions for the next like our lifetimes, they were determined like five years ago, so it feels bad to watch them incoming. But it's not time to fight. Time to fight will have been a decade or more ago, and we lost the fight.
Speaker 2: We lost the fight.
Speaker 4: We're losing. Yeah, it's a new fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, America doesn't doesn't like to admit that, but yeah, yeah what is Let's see, what's something you think is? So you've given me you're underrated? Do you have something you thinks overrated?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I guess this is going to not sound well, I'll just put it as classic movies. I know, overrated even me as an old person. Yeah, I know, like whatever, my attention span is as not obviously as cooked as you're average gen zer. But it's not great. But yeah, I don't like I think to me, the biggest example is when I watch No, well no, I'm worried.
Speaker 4: I said this on the show already.
Speaker 3: But I watched Star Wars with some like, you know, normal children, none of my friend's kids, and watching their eyes glaze over at the pace of Star Wars, which when I was growing up is not only to me, was the most thrilling thing possible. When it came out, people were like, this is the death of cinema. People won't be able to like understand anything anymore. And like Star Wars has multiple boardroom scenes like a New Hope.
Speaker 2: Yes, somebody gets force choked in a couple of them, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure, sure there is like an ending, but it really mostly is fucking like fifteen hockeys sitting around a long table arguing.
Speaker 2: You're like, this is crazy, and next the kids are going to want to see procedures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm just saying, like, obviously it would be nicer if everyone was smarter. But I do think just like our brains are processing everything differently and nothing is classic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the I I talked about this a lot when I was like, there's that thing, the Flynn effect, where like you know, IQ studies are bullshit and you know, not a good normative judgment or objective judgment of like any anything of value. But I do think it's interesting that they were like going up for decades and decades just to cross like in every country, they were just like going up and up and up. And I always thought like there was something with how much more complicated the field of information is that like people have to deal with and like you can kind of see it in old media when you like watch The Godfather, and like they felt like they needed to show somebody walking down a hallway to get to the room where they were going for you to understand like how they got there or something right, or like you watch old movie trailers and they like have to tell you the whole story, like just like hold your hands through it and just be like, this is John McClain. He is the New York cop who's having a bad day. Here he is in California.
Speaker 3: Every every movie trailer used to be the log line or not the log line, the outline of the av act one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like fully everything until right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just had to hold your hand all the way through it. I feel like there's yeah, like some of the stuff that was treated as like schlock, Like when I was young, people were like real worried about MTV editing and like Michael Bay like having to cut a thousand times per second. Yeah, and it's just like yeah, but like that becomes a part of people's visual like vocabulary and they have to they like learn to process that really really quickly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's just people are better at processing complicated information. Now I don't know that it's done us much good, but uh, well, before it's all tied in together, we're.
Speaker 3: Better at perceiving lots of information of low complexity. We're better at perceiving information in a complicated way, I would say, and work the processing complicated stuff.
Speaker 2: Definitely not better at getting to the truth in any way, yeah, but better at reading what is there? I think, reading someone's intent or something yeah, yeah, yeah, or like.
Speaker 3: I got it, I got it, what's I got? Let's go, what's the next thing. I mean, I don't think it's like inherently bad. Maybe yeah, I don't think evidence the evidence actually is that it is inherently bad in a way that we can't perceive, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's people being like, yeah, I get it, And now let's move on to you telling me why nine to eleven was an inside job because I need like another hit of something, you know.
Speaker 3: I guess it's just corruptible and everything has to become a like like an not an argument from authority. But just like when you have so many conflicting things, all you can do is use like gravitas, not gravitas, but trust ability or you know, something like the reason, yeah, the reason Elon Musk has people who believe everything he says is because he had a track record in one thing.
Speaker 4: Whether that track record is fake, it's fake, but like, it's it's.
Speaker 3: Wild that, like I guess to me maybe because I I like like to me, Joe Rogan is probably the pinnacle of this because as a like, like I actually like jiu jitsu, I like em man. Yeah, and he's absolutely correct about those things and.
Speaker 2: And their way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it's so like it's frustrating watch watching this guy who's like really good about whether or not this is a good like you know, it's it's easy to advance your your position in wrestling from here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Watching that guy opine about science in general or like how society should be structured is wild because I'm like, yeah, he using the same tone of voice, you sound the same, and you are right about thing A.
Speaker 4: Sure you're so wrong about thing B.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's like I think that is unfortunately we just have to shorthand everything, and our algorithms are exploitable, and they're being exploited.
Speaker 2: And they're just pursuing the most interesting thing that they can find in the moment, the thing that's light up the brain, regardless of truth. And so that's yeah, he's just sitting there just being like that's interesting, man. That's yeah, because don't tell you about that.
Speaker 5: I heard that's been proven, right, all right, hard turn my underrated.
Speaker 2: This is very very loose, very loosely researched. But so my kid was asking about a camping trip that we took from a couple of years ago where there were like no real activities. Like the plan was like camp outside. It was too cold, so we stayed in what looked like just a random suburban house, but like it was a big you know, it was a cub Scout troops, so it was like a big group of people staying in like tons of bunk beds, big common room, just a bunch of people in a big house in not even really the woods, but like just playing board games and like making dinner together. And he brings this up. We've gone camping since then, like on you know, with like had like really cool proper camping experiences in nature, and he like brings that one up repeatedly, and I was like, that's weird that he's so into that one. And I remember, so I was like thinking about when I was a kid, like my eighth grade class did a like end of year lock in where like everybody like stayed at school like overnight, like everybody just had like a big sleepover, Like we had church overnights. Like the place I least wanted to be in the universe was ever like church church stuff. But like these overnights are like a you know, fun memory from when I was a kids. And when you read like deep like the big history books, they're like, yeah, that's actually the natural way. Like we want to be around people. It's not natural to just be like closed off in your nuclear family and you know, oh, you know, like being in a big group with like big room with a bunch of people, like making food together and like everybody's just like kind of you know, sharing parenting and just you know that I don't know. In addition to the the children marve the commmar is the watch Midsommary. I still but yeah, I'm saying that children crave the communes. You're gonna love it. Yeah, it sounds it sounds like it's right up my alley.
Speaker 4: Just just have your kids watch it.
Speaker 3: You got to stop it probably forty five minutes, but you're gonna love the first part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I do need to watch that. It's on my list. It's just every time it's time to watch it. I'm like two and a half hours for really it's it's it's a pleasant Yeah, well now I'm sold.
Speaker 4: It's good.
Speaker 2: It's just pretty like yeah, yeah, this is like the fourth time somebody's brought up Midsommer to me in the past couple of weeks. So this is but this is my sign to watch it, mainly because I keep trying to start a commune. So yeah, yeah, I think why people are bringing.
Speaker 3: I mean, it feels like you're you're like big, you're great hall, great hall life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, longhouse, Let's let's get a long house that you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, boy, you're gonna love the first thirty five minutes of Midsummer.
Speaker 2: This works, This is great. Yeah, so that's my underrated is all right bretted movies.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, society is on a path where we might not have a choice.
Speaker 2: We're gonna need to find something else. That's it feels like we're going to need to find something.
Speaker 3: Find your community, find the people that will protect you, and gather them into a big house.
Speaker 2: That might be where we're headed. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back and we'll talk about some news. And we're back and as we are recording this, the stock market is having a bad day, and Andrew, you hate to see that that's our number one.
Speaker 4: Value tragically being lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in line with our overall theory that like every time something good for people happens, like the stock market goes down and when they're like we're actually firing half the US workforce, Yeah, stock market goes up. It's like a great inverse indicator of how like people's lives are.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think they're I guess there can probably be edge cases or different ways. I mean, it's it's a different economy.
Speaker 4: And the globe is the globe.
Speaker 3: But like that was the only thing that got Berlasconi out as he finally tanked the Italian economy.
Speaker 4: Like you could do all the other shit. I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in post twentieth century, it might be that the only way to get a fascist out of power is to tech stockmarks of the people who are propping them up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe, I mean, people are so concerned about the price of eggs, man, those are just getting worse. They're going the direction of fucking Diama, Like they're yeah.
Speaker 3: Just to fucking by the way, get it, get some chickens full exactly.
Speaker 2: That really feels like the choice that a lot of people are gonna make. But of course then you'll kind of be giving off communist vibes. You know, I'm just gonn get some chickens for your commune. But so, the reason some stocks of the US are having a tough day is and it's specifically tech stocks. After after all, the tech billionaires showed up to kiss Trump's ass at the inauguration, You really, you really hate to see them have such tough day. Because a Chinese company released an AI product called deep Seek last week end of last week, like on Friday, and it is basically as good as chat GPT but way less expensive, and they developed it for six million dollars on some Austin powers shit like six million dollars, like literally, the like the AI experts that they interviewed are like, that's a fucking it's a joke of a budget bro like that. They're so mad that that's how much they sunk into research. But the way they did it was they made an open source.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's also probably just knowing China I speak with no information outside of this, but there's a world where it's being propped up by Chinese government money that's not being reported. But even so, yeah, like listen, I of all people love like a Chinese knockoff of an overinflated American thing, right, So this fucking rules to me. Yeah, sorry, it rules for AI, which I hate, Yes, exactly, legend Ai.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so there's just a lot of people freaking out about you know what this means for AI if they can like catch up to these companies that are like just shoveling hundreds of millions of dollars into the like research furnace every year and like in no way remotely profitable, and then another country like doesn't have all the you know, copyright laws and you know secrecy of the US tech industry can come in and compete with it. I think people are kind of shitting their pants a little bit. To your point. I think a lot of people are. I've been. I think it's a combination of this and red note. A lot of people are like, and this just goes to prove China better in every way they fucking eradicated poverty. Uh yeah, I mean authoritarian country there's yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: It's listen.
Speaker 3: It's more just like I think it's like the curtain on what the US actually is is being pulled back for more people.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think.
Speaker 3: So, It's like it's not that like China is making relative gains. It's just that, like the perception is China's making huge gains because America is being revealed for how like actually shitty and inequitable and plugging all of authoritarian that it is is. So it's like, yeah, there's relatively little desire to move from the US to China, and as opposed to vice versa, a lot of that is marketing.
Speaker 4: But we'll see how the world goes.
Speaker 2: Ye, see how the world goes, Yes, we will. I think there's going to be like as people face a more realistic comparison between the two countries and as people become more disillusioned with America, I feel like it's gonna be it's gonna be an interesting time on the internet. I don't know what, you know, Like, yeah, the Cold War really drove both the US and Russia pretty yeah, pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean, one thing that is a little insane not this is me speaking in a completely self interested place. However, like the one place that the US is actively like innovating and the unquestioned world leader is fucking Hollywood, and not Hollywood as an entertainment, but Hollywood is in a propaganda machine, and it is honestly wild that both the recent governments have kind of decided to let Hollywood die because Hollywood's the only like uniquely I mean, I guess they would say Silicon Valley, but guess what. Look, it's not like Hollywood is the place where the US unquestionably rules the globe and we're electing to let that soft power just evaporate for.
Speaker 4: No good reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah there mean to uh Donald Trump, So that's a good reason, yeah, Joe Biden, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Like it's like, you know, just truly thinking, even as a full US imperialist, I don't understand why you wouldn't prop up Hollywood. That's the one thing that lets you the US be perceived as the superpower.
Speaker 2: There should be a new top Gun movie every six month months, okay, yeah, yeah, just anything.
Speaker 3: It's just like like America's the is the norm culturally because of Hollywood, yeah, or like everyone knows American norms, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And this is me speaking as an evil person.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Like if you're going to be an evil country, that is like it's important to you to uphold your place as like a you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, you would keep your iron grip on the world's media.
Speaker 2: The myth that your entire ship is based on you. You should maybe upkeep that, but not so much. Instead, they're yeah, kind of taking that for granted and going hard in the other direction. What what new levels of fucking dystopia are being invented on a daily basis? Uh, let's talk about the fact that ice raids are now being live streamed by fucking doctor Phil.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, this.
Speaker 2: Just came like there ever tizing this on X so it's like just showed up in my feed that like, hey, doctor Phil has a live stream of what's going on in Chicago. Uh, and he thinks it's good.
Speaker 3: This is this by the way, I am as as this episode comes out. I am in the midst of being a marathon guest on Behind the Bastards about Oprah, and this truly is Oprah has some splaighton to do, like why did you put this man into the national spotlight?
Speaker 2: He's yeah, he seems it seems bad. It seems bad. Yeah, I don't know, there's bad. And then there's doctor Phil partners with America's Gestapo bad. Yeah, and we are at that second level. As ICE continues to arrest and deport hundreds of people, Doctor Phil is tagging along and live streaming arrests while serving as a vocal propagandist for the border Czar Homan home man, home o man.
Speaker 4: Let's call him that. Sorry, I said that too, man too.
Speaker 3: I will also just say there was no reason in the last four years ICE needed to have this budget. Have these specific fascists still employed for them? Right, if we truly were quote unquote resisting fascism under Democrats, Yeah, they're still here.
Speaker 4: They've been running camps.
Speaker 3: All the fucking dickheads that are leaping to do this could have been fired, but they weren't.
Speaker 2: So well, what Biden's supposed to do is hands are tied. Oh wait, right, he's.
Speaker 4: His hands are tied.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's him wanting that's sort of a sub situation.
Speaker 2: Yes, I really do believe that. But yeah, so he's bragging about how they were after two hundred high value targets in Chicago. The whole thing was streamed on his Merit TV platform, and he's treating it as like, all right, we've got our knock list, you know, like it's like mission impossible, and he's he's got his list of dangerous men that he's helping them go after except for the fact that Trump has given them daily quotas of deportations. So Matt Iglesias was on that Ezra Cline podcast, Uh and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly what a phrase.
Speaker 2: Yes, And he was basically saying, like, so this is a thing like in watching the way that the supposedly like liberal uh media is not up to the task of resisting this. Like one of the things that keeps chopping out to me is like they know how to criticize somebody for being bad or like inefficient, but they like can't do a moral critique like they because that's not both sides in it. So like he was basically like, by the way, like they're not even good at deporting, Like he's putting up the same numbers as Biden, Like on average, he's at four oh eight deportation Biden was at four ten. And apparently that logic reached the Trump administration because Trump officials are now being like, we need to get those numbers up to one thy two hundred to one thousand, five hundred.
Speaker 3: But also crucially like it's like this thing of like, yes, Trump is absolutely worse, but like just remember and like despair that Biden wanted to be as bad, right, Biden, Again, this is not like helpful especially, but like almost everything that you and I and listeners and good people think is a bad thing that Trump will do, Biden did some version of that.
Speaker 2: Right, just inefficiently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like slightly or you know, slightly nicer about it, with more women and like rainbow flags and fucking people of color doing the fascism. So like, I don't want to I'm not downplaying how bad Trump is, but it is like very depressing how much Biden was also doing this shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. And just in terms of like the media's kind of how they're covering this, it feels like they're still trying to like spot the lie, which doesn't work when you're dealing with like an authoritarian leader who tells you the awful thing he's going to do and then like does it. They're like they still feel like they have to be like and yeah, there's also alec Herritt Sanez was pointing out, like there's this New York Times article that was like Trump's policies are actually more popular than he is, and like it was like this really specifically worded. I think we're going to get into it on tomorrow's episode.
Speaker 3: Well, right, because it's it's like like when you aggregate approval ratings, like a bunch of shit that Trump is doing baseline like normal stuff, like you know, I don't even know what the specifics are, but like you know, let's just the big something big, like he's not eliminating Social Security completely immediately, people like yes, I like that, or like like just like not touching stuff that doesn't need to be touched.
Speaker 4: Of course that's more popular.
Speaker 3: That's not a Trump policy, that's just a default of the US government, right right, And it's just like it's happening in the background. So yeah, I guess if you add up all the numbers and control yourself, then sure, yeah.
Speaker 2: That feels like that's what they adding up the number like it cover everything, like sports, like not just elections, like everything. When you remove morality from the equation, that's just what you get two sides trying to execute better than the other. And if you cover it as such, it's just going like you don't really have anything to say when the dictator comes to power. And is just like I'm about to do this bad thing, and there I did it, and they're like, actually, you didn't like do it that hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well they're also like they're they're not covering.
Speaker 3: They're covering the sport as defined by what they think government is as opposed to what it actually is. Right, Like government is doing is you know, taking our money and doing good or bad with it, and that's not what they're talking about, partially because every government is just doing a combination of good and bad in more bad than I would like proportions. Yeah, so it's just like, well, okay, you can you can say Democrats and Republicans are like playing a game on deportations. But it's like why is any of this right? Yeah, Like that's it's not a good thing. So it doesn't matter who's doing a better or worse job on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll talk tomorrow about the like Colombian tariff threats from Trump and like that. Yeah, I'm just seeing people cover it as like and Trump identified the leverage point that he had and like got them to back down, like just talking about it again, like it's fucking jiu jitsu or some shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also it's like, you know, he's been given control of like most like there's for all you gamers out there, like just the most ope build possible. Right, It's just like, oh, oh cool, you want this is like a fucking like giving your five year old like all the all the fucking points and you're just.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, okay, sure you want who cares?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, But they are, they seem impressed, just like they will give him the win. Is like my issue. It seems like they're willing to give him the win, and I don't know, I'm just a little bit surprised at how quickly they've gotten on board with the whole kind of authoritarian project that's happening. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll talk about movies and some some other bullshit that's not America's slide into fascism. We'll be right back and we're back. And uh, Andrew, did you see the number one movie in America this past weekend? Flight Risk?
Speaker 4: My god, I'm actually surprised that this is number one. Can I just.
Speaker 3: Say, as someone who is a fucking dickhead who sees too many movies, January is are considered like the worst.
Speaker 4: Time this is a good January.
Speaker 3: Like, there's some pretty good movies out right now in a way that like.
Speaker 4: This should not. This is fucking crazy.
Speaker 2: It made twelve million dollars, so it was it was a like very slow week end of the box office.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go see no for nos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't believe it got stiffed on. I mean it got like three technical awards, but I would yeah, what a fight director or something. Just nobody gives a ship.
Speaker 3: Don't worry about the Academy Awards as a listen, given the way the nominations went, I'm picking my word, but yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: It's it's not a to think of it this way.
Speaker 3: I guess it's like this is a popular vote in a small, relatively insular community and no one has time to see every movie, and I'll just believe it at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point. But unfortunately this movie was not eligible. Unclear if it would have gotten any Academy attention this year, but it uh, this is they like I talked about, I think my overrated from a few weeks ago was just the decision to like show his like hat Wig come off. Did you see the trailer for this It's like such a wild moment, like it's something that we've only seen in like like slapstick comedies before.
Speaker 4: Listen. I probably. I guess the reason I.
Speaker 3: Didn't see it this weekend is I was like, I don't want to fucking give Mel Gibson any money.
Speaker 4: And Mark Wahlberg personally, however, it does look kind of not good.
Speaker 2: It doesn't kind of it looks insane. Yeah. Yeah, it got a C Cinema score from audiences. To put that in perspective, Cat's got a C plus.
Speaker 3: So I'm assuming I actually don't know enough about the movie to know how it's extremely right wing, given that Mel Gibson directed it, But I'm assuming there's some versions.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's some stuff in there. Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 3: I'm pleasantly ish surprised that. I mean, I guess Mark Wahlberg is the villain, but I'm I'm the prisoner or whatever is a white guy in to for Grace, So yeah.
Speaker 2: That's true. I don't know Charles Gruden the Midnight Run.
Speaker 3: If we're just broadly speaking about movies. This weekend, I saw the presence or presence the Soderbergh Ghost Movie.
Speaker 4: From the perspective of ghost and my my POV.
Speaker 2: You're a good but it's actually from the point of view of a ghost.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I know I'm old, but the change of the meaning of POV is one of the wildest things. It means not right, like as far as I can now, Yeah, well now it means you're through the point of view or you're viewing a and those are largely almost diametric opposites, right, exactly, Like the only other option for a camera is to be looking at neither, and that then is just weird. What I will say about presence, I just wanted to say this officially on some podcast somewhere, so you're the first opportunity for me to say this out loud.
Speaker 4: I like the movie enough.
Speaker 3: It's wild that Lucy Lou keeps his shoes on household and I will fucking die on that.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a little ambiguous. And then there's a wide shot and I'm like, those fucking Chinese kids have their shoes and the fucking rug.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's happening. Yeah, it feels after like, you know, my wife is Korean, my wife, sorry, is Korean, and we've been shoes off household as long as we've lived together and going back to a shoes on household feels so wild.
Speaker 4: It feels like disgusting. Yeah, it feels.
Speaker 2: Like it feels disrespectful to I'm like, I can't, I'm gonna take my shoes off.
Speaker 4: That's just how I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I otherwise, you know, I like the movie, but uh, come on, come on, Hollywood, the fuck is happening here? Yes, it is surprising, like the fact that they got Mark Wahlberg to and I haven't seen the movie, so maybe there's a twist, but the fact that they got him to not be the good guy who saves the day on a plane like when he's so clearly you know this nine to eleven commentary is if I was there, wouldn't have gone down like that?
Speaker 4: Just I mean, I know, imagine.
Speaker 3: I imagine that Mel Gibson does not have the sense of humor. But if there was someone funnier helming this, who could get Mark Karburk to say, it wouldn't have gone down like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, the movie going down like that. I'm here and it's not going down like that. He also got again a thing that we were talking about possibly in the cold open. It's just Mel Gibson's weird. Oh sure, futility fetish like violence, weird interpreted like focus on the you know, Jesus getting the shit kicked out of a version of Catholicism.
Speaker 3: That I was like, I literally was about to ask you what is that called?
Speaker 4: And I was like, all right, it's the passion of the movie.
Speaker 2: But he went on Hannity to promote his movie and said, of Donald Trump, it's like daddy arrived and he's taken off his belt, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he's about that, I mean, yeah, yeah, Yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: Not much to say about. Drones are back, you guys. That's exciting, the New Jersey Drones, which needs to be the name of a minor league baseball team if it's not already. Yeah, there's a there's a headline on Drudge that said Northeast drone sighting surge again ellipses, And that's literally the only possible way to make the story seem like the drones are still intriguing, because when you click through to the New York Post, the headline is Northeast drone sighting surge again after FAA limits lifted. So, as we talked about, just be in case anybody missed the way this drone story happened. There's everyone's like, what the fuck are these drones? It's so weird, like where are they coming from? And then the FAA put limits on whether you were able to fly your hobby drones. They said you can't, it'll be a crime. And the drone sighting stopped, and so the aliens are apparently very sensitive to the possibility of ticketing. Yeah, and Iran, I feel like if people spent the first few months of those like lime scooters showing up everywhere, insisting that like nobody could explain where they were coming from, and then it must be aliens, Like it's just people are seeing drones more often because other people are flying drones more often. Like that. There's like the FAA limited the ban on being able to fly drones wherever the fuck you want last year, and so then people were like, all right, I'm gonna start flying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they lifted the ban on where they could fly them, and everyone decided New Jersey, which.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly ahead of the cut.
Speaker 3: You know, now that we're talking about it, I will say, going back to our like what's wrong with people's brains thing? I now I'm kind of like maybe what's happening is our logic, our processing power, Like we're just operating on jump cut reasoning, like to go from I see drones everywhere to I saw more drones today to there are aliens or our Audians or whatever. It's just like, well, that's that can only happen in jump cut, because if you walk through the steps, it makes no sense.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. It's we're just it's like we have we're all in a writer's room that is trying to come up with the most interesting direction for us story to go. It would be more interesting if these vaccines that we've all been getting since we were kids, we're actually like the government like doing something like spying on it. Like it's we do actually live in like the matrix or you know some shit. You know, it's more interesting if the you know, people who bought a ninety dollars drone are aliens. But it's just, yeah, we're all just writers rooming reality in the direction that is going to be most intriguing, and it's fucking it's driving everybody out of their minds.
Speaker 3: Here's my actual question for someone I don't know, smarter than me or more invested in me, than this, but like this we are at a sort of like facts don't care about your feelings stage of things. But yeah, surprise surprise the other way, like what is the actual way to like bet against all of these counterfactual like right wing beliefs I don't know, Like for instance, actually so so after the twenty twenty election, there was this guy who I think might be kind of a right wing goon or libertarian goon but poker player named Bart Hanson I think his name is, And he was just openly taking bets on Twitter with QAnon people, you know, for large amounts of money, and like I think they went through because they would put them in scrow accounts. But he would just be like Donald Trump will not be like sworn in as president in twenty twenty one, Like I'm taking all that. Yeah, and he made a ton of money. That's great, Like what is the way? I mean, obviously you don't want to like short like fucking iron lungs or go long on like iron lungs or whatever, but like it's something like that, Like the things that these people believe and that they're using their immense power to implement do not comport with actual factual reality, and there's only so long they can push that off, right, So how do you arbitrage that?
Speaker 4: That's w Yeah, that's my challenge to the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let us know if you've got a way to let's turn this whole thing into a get rich quick scheme, because people who like you could short the stock market, but the stock market's been able to just be completely isolated from reality, Like I think the stock market is fully in on on the lie right now, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, but also like the stock market, it's like like things that are bad for humanity are good for it.
Speaker 4: As you said, like so right, if everyone.
Speaker 3: If every corporation could fire everyone, that would be good for the stock market, even though that would eliminate its customer base. Right, But you know, I think in their world, it's like that's fine if like ninety nine percent of Americans or the world or whatever are just sort of like surfs or like like indentured servants, that's fine, and then we can just like pass around the same like couple billion dollars to keep the stock market moving.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's where we're headed more than more than some like revelation that like they were lying about everything, but I'm.
Speaker 3: Just saying, like, like the other things they're implementing are incorrect. I mean, look, even from an economic perspective, like fucking all these mass departations, they are going to ruin the aggric cultural economy, the manufacturing economy, Like these things will come home to roost as it were, eventually.
Speaker 4: So what does one do about this?
Speaker 3: Like we can't stop it happening, Like, you know, if our k goes in, I think that's it's a reasonable bet there's gonna be fucking polio in America, like right eventually in the next ten years, Like there's gonna be like.
Speaker 2: You don't want to invest in iron lungs, right because I.
Speaker 4: Was just.
Speaker 3: That and I don't know, Andrew, it's a bye. The problem is who's going to make the best iron lung. It's probably someone that's otherwise going to profit from all this ship You're Luckheed Martin.
Speaker 2: Dude's going to convert that little personal submarine that he was developing to rest kids into an iron lung.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, can you imagine how shitty his iron lung is going to be?
Speaker 2: Well, Andrew, such a pleasure having you as always? Where can people find you? Follow you all? That kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Manos is racist. I am on blue Sky, so I guess there. I've been doing very little blue skying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not for me.
Speaker 2: I fucking social media, all right, that is gonna do it for us this Monday morning. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show, and we will talk to Yelda.
Speaker 4: Bye. Peace,