Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Jonathan Ferrow, along with Lisa Bromwitz and Amrie Hordern. Join us each day for insight from the best in markets, economics, and geopolitics from our global headquarters in New York City. We are live on Bloomberg Television weekday mornings from six to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you listen, and as always on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app. Towson Slock of Apollo note to the impact of the FED cutting one hundred basis points, writing, the bottom line is that FED cuts and associated developments in financial markets will boost GENIP over the coming quarters by one percentage point and boost inflation by zero point five.
Speaker 3: Tawston joins us now for more. Torston, good morning morning.
Speaker 2: It's going to see you, sir, and a happy new year. You wrote, and I think it's important to recognize they cut one hundred basis points in September and year has moved one hundred basis points in the other direction.
Speaker 3: What do you think explains that?
Speaker 4: Well, that is really unusual. I mean, normally the textbook would say if you cut interest rates, long rates should also be going down. So why is it that when they have cut one hundred basis points in September, that we've now seen long rates go up one hundred basis points since September? And that's opened up a lot of conversations about is this because FED cuts were not warranted? Is that because of fiscal policy, or is it because of less demand from abroad? That's just a very important quantification debate around why is it long rates are going up? And an important part of that question is that the term premium has gone up eighty basis points at least according to the New York Fed, So using that.
Speaker 3: Measure, eighty percent of the increase.
Speaker 4: In long rates since September has potentially been driven by worries about fiscal policy, at least issues that are not explained by changing FED expectations.
Speaker 5: So which of the three questions, which are the three points that you're making do you lean on as a reason behind the rise and yields?
Speaker 4: Well, the challenge is when you do these decompositions and trying to quantufy what are the sources of why long rates are going up. Is that you don't know this unexplained factor in the term premium. What's driving that? Is that because of fiscal worries? Is it because of Some people say it's just some technical issues with the yelk curve steepening. In my view, I think at least it tells you that there's something else going on, because if you look at the chart, it is just really unusual that long rates are going up when the Fed is cutting. So that's why. If it is because the market is worried about fiscal issues, then of course we need to think about, well, what are the consequences as we get some fiscal news potentially over the next several weeks.
Speaker 3: A number of.
Speaker 5: People have said this is a good thing and people should embrace it. You see an actual normalization of the yield curve, and that's fantastic. You have a newly positive yield curve two tens now the steepest going back to twenty twenty two. Do you think that it is a positive development or a negative development?
Speaker 4: Well, I think what's lying underneath this is that the expectation was that or when the FED starts cutting, they always caught a lot and of course, over the last several quarters, the expectation was that the Fed will cut a lot more relative to what's priced in at the moment. Now, of course markets up pricing that rates will stay higher for longer, and therefore we will not get all these cuts. So the question therefore is, well, is that good or bad news? Well, it's good in this sense that the backdrop is that the economy is still strong. But the bad news, of course is that rights higher for LONGO will continue to weigh in particular on balanties that are weaker, companies with a lot of leverage, companies with low converce ratios will continue to get hit by rates higher for LONGO, So higher for LONGA has a number of consequences that are bringing back memories of what we saw in twenty twenty two, when you had rates going up and starts going down at the same time with yields.
Speaker 1: Higher over the past since the Fed has been cutting, and you're saying some of this is driven by fiscal we haven't gotten the fiscal package yet, but the Trump incoming trub administration has made it clear in the first one hundred days they want to see something, whether or not it's one reconciliation bill or two. So basically is that just saying to the Fed, you're on pause until we see exactly what comes out of this proposal.
Speaker 4: Well, and I think also to your important point here that it used to be that these bills would be two separate bills, one with border and security in the first bill that will be deal with first, and then later we'll deal with what's going on in the tax front. But combining all this, of course raises the risk that I will get a bloomberg headline saying some pretty significant number in terms of what the deficit impact is. So if you do have a bigger risk of a higher headline number, that also raise at least modestly the probability that we'll get some at least potential list trust moment where we could see a fairly significant number coming out where instead of doing it drip wise throughout the year, having a big number where suddenly markets say, wow, there's already QT going on, there's a stock of T pills that need to be rolled over, and on some of that, we already have a sixty seven percent budget deficit. All that combine means that treasury issuance continues to be a very important topic.
Speaker 1: What does that Liz trust moment look like in the United States.
Speaker 4: Well, the risk, of course is that if there is still very significant budget deficit, and if we still have significant issues with again the number of T bills outstanding, any short dated debt that needs to be rolled over, we still have QT there's a lot of conversations about when that potentially will end. And on top of that, if we do have new fiscal deficit spending and a number that's much bigger than what the market is expecting, that certainly raises their probability at least that we might have some situation where the markets are saying, wow, that's a lot of treasury issues. We already have discussions literally every day when we have a treasury auction around hey, what was the metrics on the auctions and what are these numbers telling us? In terms of the overall physical sustainability, which j. Powell of course always keeps on pointing out is already unsustainable.
Speaker 2: Leasa mentioned it already this morning we get a ten year A little bit later you wrote about it's close down twenty four the risk of a twenty twenty two repeat in the market.
Speaker 3: How great is that risk.
Speaker 4: I think that is much higher than what the market is. The probabilities of the markets are signing at the moment, because remember the key issue in twenty twenty two was that the sixty to forty portfolio really underperformed because rates went up because inflation was going up, and at the same time, starks went down.
Speaker 3: And now we've had.
Speaker 4: The Nike sworsh has been flatten.
Speaker 3: Out on FED expectations.
Speaker 4: So therefore, if we're now getting back through FED expectations being roughly flat, we have a few cuts priced in. Imagine if suddenly those expectations start to move up that people are saying, well, maybe we'll get another hike. I do think you a lot of equity investors will be looking at that and saying, well, in that case, you already had the trailing pe on Tesla at almost two hundred. That's why some of these stocks and a trailing pepages are incredibly expensive. And if you now have that, well, maybe the FED has to do something more meeting high rates again. Well, then I do think some of these more sensitive names they will certainly see a bigger hit. So that's why given all the stocks returns have been drawn by a handful of stocks. I do think that that makes it much more sensitive to if again the Nikes Woll swifts up and we do get a situation where the fit is pricing in more hikes.
Speaker 2: Coming tost and a clinic as always going to see us, sir, Thank you. Toston's luck there of a Pomo. Donald Trump hadding to Capital Hell tomorrow as the president elects purshused Republicans to pass a single massive bill concerning his priorities. Trump look into secure a houseflow on immigration, energy, and extension of the twenty seventeen Trump tax cuts by April. The Republican Congressman French Hill of Arkansas. John Desnaphamore Congressman Hill, good.
Speaker 3: To catch up with you.
Speaker 2: As always, we'd love your opinion on what you think is the best way to pursue the president's agenda. Is it through going off to just one big bill?
Speaker 6: Well, Jonathan, it's great to be with you. Yes, I do support one bill because I think that's the easiest way to get the votes for the President's priorities in the House, which include, as you said, energy, permitting reform, securing the border, and of course debating and completing an extension of the Trump tax cuts from twenty seventeen.
Speaker 5: Congressman, we've been debating around this table how much the ten year yield has a seat at the table when deciding what kind of bill and how big it is. When the Congress meets and possibly passes this as soon as April.
Speaker 3: What's your view on this.
Speaker 5: How much of a veto power does the bond market have?
Speaker 6: Well, Lisa, look, I don't think it makes any difference on that point, whether it's one bill or three bills. To the point of your previous commentator, what I think is concerning to me is that I wish we'd finish Fy twenty five spending last Congress. I think that would have been in the President's best interest. But instead this first quarter, we're going to do both. We're going to complete fiscal twenty five spending by the middle of March, and we're going to try to do budget reconciliation with the House and Senate before early April. That's a big lift, and it may demonstrate a little uncertainty on the part of the bond market, But I think the real issue is let's get spending under control through budget reconciliation. That's the purpose of budget reconciliation. It's a procedure by which you can do big things in Congress using fifty one percent vote margins in the House and Senate. President Obama used it to create Obamacare. President Trump in his first term used that to reform the tax code. Republicans in the House and Senate this year want to use budget reconciliation to get federal spending under control, while we also extend the pro growth features of the Trump tax cuts.
Speaker 5: Fowers were one of the concerns that we hear from a lot of fixed income strategists who come on the show is that they're not seeing where the cuts are going to come into place in this reconciliation bill. Where are they going to come.
Speaker 6: We had a meeting all weekend where we work with our committees of jurisdiction on determining cuts and spending across the board. With the exceptions of what President Trump has taken off the board, which would be Medicare and Social Security benefit areas, the rest of it's on track. And you know how much spending has gone up, and just since the pandemic, we're running a two trillion dollar deficit per year. Seven percent of GDP that's the part that's unsustainable. Everyone in Congress knows that. So we've got to get our spending on a more sustained, predictable front. I think that would benefit the bond market if they saw that kind of work on the part of Congress.
Speaker 1: Well, we have the CBO talking about at least one point of that one big beautiful reconciliation potential bill, which would be just extending TCAJA over the upcoming decade, would cost four trillion dollars. On top of that, the President elect continues to talk about no tax on tips. How much do you think can actually get through this Congress.
Speaker 6: Well, look, am Marie, you had CBO also say that the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, when they did not dynamically score it, would not produce increased revenues over a ten year budget window. And in fact, since twenty seventeen, you've seen record federal revenue pour into the country from no more reversions, people bringing taxable income back, the investments that were made. GDP growth, job growth, wage growth was all up in those years following the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, but before the impact of the pandemic. So I don't believe House Republicans are governed completely by the opinions of CBO exclusively, even though that's an incredibly important component because we've seen how in error estimates are from the Joint Tax Committee and from CBO, not recently, but for the past fifty years.
Speaker 1: Congressman, you're also now the chair of a very powerful committee, the House Financial Services Committee, and we see a number of representatives going to mar Lago this upcoming weekend. Will you be there and if so, what do you plan to discuss with President Electrump.
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: President Trump has invited the committee chairs to a dinner and we'll be talking about our priorities that we have for the first few months of his administration and getting his views on those.
Speaker 1: What are your priorities specifically for the Financial Services Committee.
Speaker 6: Well, you know we've talked about that many times. I've got three big priorities. First, I want to right size the regulatory system for particularly community banks. We think that's an important feature that's gotten off track, particularly in the Biden Harris administration. We want to make sure the SEC is focused on capital formation and investor protection and orderly markets and not a political agenda that former soon to be former chairman Gary Ginsler had and finally, we want to have a market structure for innovation in this country where people can use blockchain, can use digital currencies and digital assets to advance their business mission and make sure that the US is a leader around the world in this new Web three innovative technology.
Speaker 1: Corson, we also need to talk about the FED. Yesterday Michael Barr stepping down. You welcomed that. This morning the Wall Street Journal in an editorial is talking about that maybe a replacement for Michael Barr will meet Governor Bowman.
Speaker 3: Would you welcome that.
Speaker 6: Mickey Bowman's done an outstanding job as a governor on the Federal Reserve. She comes to the Federal Reserve with tactical experience both as a bank commissioner in Kansas as well as a family connected to community banking business there in the Heartland. She has been a great voice for common sense and tailoring and regulation, and I think she would be if President Trump made that decision, that would be, in MA view, a good one.
Speaker 2: Congressman, We're seeing some big shifts in corporate America as well. We'd love your thoughts just to close up this conversation and what we just heard from meta moments ago, and if you missed it, because it only broke about fifteen minutes ago, I'll give you summary off in this came from Meta about fifteen minutes ago. That's starting in the United States. They're going to be ending their third party fact checking program and moved to a community notes model, something we're more familiar with with the likes of X. We're seeing some big shifts around corporate America. I think, taking note of more conservative voices in the last few months, particularly after the election in early November, that note that is notable. I think Congressman Hill for corporate America, and I just wonder how you're responding to things and what you think of that shift.
Speaker 6: Well, Jonathan, over the decade that I've been in Congress for basically three decades before that, I was in corporate America, both with public companies and private companies, and I've never been a big fan for bringing politics, partisanship, and social policy fads into the corporate boardroom. I think business should be in the business of delivering a product that meets the needs of consumers, all consumers, no matter what their walk in life is. And so that's why I think it's good that business appears to be getting back focused on conducting their mission and leave the politics at home or out with their friends.
Speaker 2: French Chill affreciated time Congressman French Chaill got good to be a vocon sell good to see us at fat Governor Lisa Cook saying the FMC can proceed cautiously on further rate cuts with inflation precious remaining. The Fullish conto FED President Charles Evans writing, I expect inflation will return to two percent within the Fed's current timetable. They don't want some risk cutting rates and then need to backtrack higher if inflation rises again.
Speaker 3: Charles joined us now for more. Charles, welcome to the programs, sir.
Speaker 2: I just want to go through a range of comments we've had from FED officials over the past few days. Governor Cook said inflation has been stickier. Governor Coogler said, obviously our job is not done. Presidents Amy said, we're uncomfortably above our target. Why do you suppose, with all of that in mind, they reduced interest rates to the last meeting.
Speaker 7: Well, I think that the FED has done a readjustment and the stance of monetary policy. They've cut rates by one hundred basis points. Over the last year since September, and the last cut in December was a close call, according to char Powell. So I think they're well positioned at this point to deal with the risk that they expect to be facing this year, and I think they're an awful lot of risks. Inflation has been bumpy, and their focus is on getting inflation back to two percent. They are looking at a projection themselves of core PCEE at the end of this year at two and a half percent. That's a little bit more than uncomfortably above two percent, and they don't give any indication that they're willing to sort of say, well, you know, two and a half's really not that far above two percent. So with their focus on two percent, I think I believe the Fed policy makers that they are going to be patient in adjusting monetary policy, and they're going to need to see improvements and inflation.
Speaker 5: How concerning is it to you that longer term rates have risen so much since the Fed finished cutting by one hundred basis points last year.
Speaker 7: You know, there are a lot of things going on at the same time, and so it is it is the case that the FED funds rate is lower though would put downward pressure on the tenure rate, for sure. But it's also the case that you know, their you know, fiscal deficits are continuing to be high. You know, there's a lot of uncertainty about that. Our investor is going to be responding to that, and I think it's natural to suspect that funding rates could be higher at the long end. It's also the case that productivity is higher. AI offers a lot of promise. Growth has been above two percent. Our assessments of long run trend tend to be about two percent, but if they're higher, that would also justify higher long term rates too. So there are many things in play, plus all of the uncertainty associated with volatility and tariff commentary.
Speaker 5: How much you've concerned about the fact that the Fed hasn't really put out a framework for how they're going to deal with some of the potential policy changes that are coming out. This was something that former New York Fed President Bill Dudley was talking about. Do you think there needs to be a better communication of scenario analysis around tariffs and around potential immigration changes?
Speaker 7: The FED communications is always difficult. It's difficult for central banks, it's difficult for any institution that is dealing with uncertainty and talking about what they're going to be doing over the next six to eight months uncertainty. It is just very difficult to describe in a way that you know many many readers can can fully appreciate. The FED has a number of communications tools. The Summary of Economic Projections are one of them, and so you know, by the FED Zone take, they've indicated that they're expecting inflation is going to be higher than they previously thought for longer and they need to take action. You could go through a few different scenarios where well, it could be better than that, and explain how you know the funds rate would fall, or you could say it's going to be worse than that. They have internal documents where they go through that. I not convinced that the public would be able to digest three scenarios when they have as much difficulty with one. You'd constantly be going, well, which of the three do you really think we should be paying attention to?
Speaker 1: Speaker Johnson is talking about this potential one big reconciliation bill by May. If that is the case, does the FED then just stay on the sideline and wait for the policy chatter to become actual legislation.
Speaker 7: Well, I think the typical fed approach Share Powell has tried to describe this at the last couple of press conferences, which is to you know, you know, observe the legislative process, observe the progress. When do they get legislative language, when is it about to actually take you know, and be enacted, and what actually ends up in the bill. A lot of things end up, you know, with the last minute and a bill or get taken out, and so it's very difficult to have confidence that you know exactly what the stance of fiscal policy is until you get you know, real language there. And I mean if you just go back, you know previously, when you've talked about eliminating the Affordable Care Act, that would have huge implications for the economy, and it came down to a single vote, and so you know, you have have to actually go through the process before you can fully appreciate what that's going to do the economy. That's part of the uncertainty that I was talking about right up until the end. It could go either way. Times wanted to conflate with very large implications for the path of the.
Speaker 3: Economy you've lived it. We appreciate your experience.
Speaker 2: Former Chicago Fair president Charles Evans on the latest effort from the Federal Reserve. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast, bringing you the best in markets, economics, an gio politics. You can watch the show live on Bloomberg TV weekday mornings from six am to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen, and as always, on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app.