Speaker 1: Native Lamppod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Home, y'all.
Speaker 1: It is episode forty nine of a Native Lamppod.
Speaker 3: I'm here.
Speaker 1: Angela Rye was my co host Andrew Gillam and Timmy Cross.
Speaker 3: Hi, y'all doing today? I'm real good. Let me just tell you what I've been doing this morning. Macy.
Speaker 4: Well, the people are listening can't see either, So what is it?
Speaker 1: Oh that's true the people listening, Casey. But well for the people watching video, they can't. This says Black Voters Matter. I was out hitting the block with Black Voters Matter this morning. Canvason knocking on doors still fulfilling the birthday dreams from a few days ago. I'm so glad I got to knock doors with y'all.
Speaker 5: You know nothing, No, I just mean the people that you get to talk to interact with.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it was very good. It was good in part because it's always good to see folks. We met a woman named Miss Booker who was standing out the church house. She says she got an organic garden in the back. She said, let Georgia State. Know does she growing stuff in the back in case they want us cancer. She also gave Black Voters Matter a cash donational envelope.
Speaker 3: She said she was turning out votes. It was beautiful. Uh and so, and they said, just.
Speaker 1: So we're super clear in case the Trump folks want to come back and challenge their C three status.
Speaker 3: She said that.
Speaker 1: She they said they're gonna donate it to the C three satur things because that nobody else can take care.
Speaker 3: So see, it was a beautiful morning. I'm listening.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna explain to the audience why that matters and what C three means and all that that's definitely not common knowledge.
Speaker 1: But I don't need to in Okay, Well it's just a nonprofit. Yeah, it's a nonprofit. Look up a five oh one C three online and we could jump into our rundown today. All right, So we got a lot going on, you guys. I cannot believe when this episode airs there will be five days left until election day. We are talking about political violence, t if. I know that's you're your topic, and it's something that's near and dear to your heart.
Speaker 4: I think it's near and dear to all of our hearts. I'll tell you, I feel like everybody's focused on election day, and I really think it's the wrong thing. I think we got to focus on what happens after election.
Speaker 5: Day, in addition, in addition.
Speaker 3: To on who commute.
Speaker 1: It's a good transition. He had Jesus on the main line. We got our first in studio yesterday. Ever, we never do this, but for such a time as this, he is he is. He's maybe we gonna keep him long enough, he'll stay with us.
Speaker 3: We might keep him as a close.
Speaker 1: Reverend Jamal Bryant is our good brother and friend. He has been tearing it up on his own podcast. He's been tearing it up in New Birth Missionary Baptist Church.
Speaker 3: He got engaged.
Speaker 1: He is hitting the streets for the for the campaign, letting people know what it is. He he heard a pastor call the church the Antichrist. He has something to say about that. He had Kamala Harris in the pulpit the other day. She had on a she had on a dress address she always got a pass. She said, I'm gonna go to the House of the Lord. I'm gonna put my skirt on the day and she tore it down to packed the house.
Speaker 6: Son wore a lap scarf, she had a prayer claw. Yes they missed. The press missed that.
Speaker 3: Listen if she got a prayer clock.
Speaker 4: Anyway, aheads anymore. But when he said that, I'm like, that remind me of let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about why that is on the podcast already. But I mean, I know, well you started it.
Speaker 5: You can only imagine this story should be hearing Lord Lord.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I think is important for us to talk about tangential to political violence is why they.
Speaker 3: Burning up the ballot boxes, y'all.
Speaker 1: People dropping off their balance and they setting their boxes on fire and through some in the middle of the street.
Speaker 3: Andrew were gonna talk about that because you know that was in your state. What you got?
Speaker 5: That's it. I'm ready to jump in.
Speaker 1: So, y'all, this is such an exciting show. We have been challenged by the podcast Godfather who is Chris Morrow on our network often like why don't y'all have guests? Well, y'all, it is time we needed to bring a guest in studio to help us break down what is going on with the church because there's so much happening. We had Erica Campbell join us last week in Atlanta for our Spellhouse homecoming show, and she had this to say when we started talking about the Black church.
Speaker 7: I understand at the core of what abortion is people calling it murder. Okay, I get that, But if Jesus was here, what would he say to a woman who had to choose. He wouldn't tell her what to choose. The Bible says our place before you life and death, So it is your choice. So if God lets me choose, how dare a government tell me what I can do with my body if I'm doing the wrong thing. So some people do choose to do the wrong thing, they'll stand before God, not their government. And I think that it is our job to remember that the government is not my pastor. And if you got faith, no matter what the economic strategy is, God still supplies all my needs according to His which is in glory. Some are already operating on a different level. So I don't feel like even excluding somebody from the LGBTQ community if we just honest about it. And I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this. They already go to our churches, they already sing, They're already here so what is it that you're really talking about?
Speaker 1: And then, just as a contrast, there is a man who is the son of Jimmy Swaggert. If y'all don't know about Jimmy Swaggert, I highly encourage the listening audience to look him up. But Donnie Swagger had this to say about the black church and black pastors everywhere, including the one we're about to introduce, had some to say about this.
Speaker 8: But today, where are the pastors? Where are the preachers shunning out behind the sacred desk and proclaiming, Hey, listen, folks, we can't continue the way that we're going.
Speaker 6: Our nation cannot.
Speaker 9: Endure four more years of the Party of Molawk.
Speaker 6: Can't do it.
Speaker 9: I can't support a party that murders babies. I can't support a party that believes in men marrying men and women marrying women. I can't support a party that believes in uti lady, the little girls because their minds are confused over their gender. I can't support a party that doesn't believe.
Speaker 5: In the Word of God. Can't do it, will.
Speaker 10: Not do it.
Speaker 6: I refuse.
Speaker 1: So with that, I think this is the perfect time to introduce our guests. He's a fiery preacher, brilliant man. I've met him when I was in high school. Jamal Bryant was the Youth and College division director for the NAACP. To watch your rise, Pastor has been amazing. You have always been solid. I haven't known you to be anything other than a truth teller. So we are so grateful that you would join us here today.
Speaker 6: I'm updating my Wikipedia. I haven't made it.
Speaker 5: I'm on the publicast, and congratulations on yours.
Speaker 6: By the way, thank you killing it. Just as a footnote, Andrew knew my wife, my fiance before I did. Yes, he wrote her a letter of recommendation, so I'm back in the detail.
Speaker 3: And did you say in the recommendation letter?
Speaker 5: Quiet? But she is a brilliant, powerful, how willful preacher and her own right that sister can slang the word Bishop. You made a great choice.
Speaker 6: I'm grateful. Thank you for the endorsement.
Speaker 3: I love that so much.
Speaker 1: So we wanted to have this conversation one. I'm just going to be honest with you. The amount of tension in the Black church right now around who to vote for, around reproductive justice or around gay marriage, around racial justice, and whether or not we should even lean in or just be people of faith has been astounding to me. These are some of the things that I struggle with as a young Christian going to a church of God in christ Church and really trying to figure out where my lane was because my dad is an activist, right, so like where like what is God calling us to do? When it comes down to faith with our works is dead. We have the right to be here. We ain't asked to come, but we here now. So what does it look like to engage in What is the row of the church in.
Speaker 6: That I think we're looking at the postcolonial slave church as a lot of Black churches don't want to upset the mass on so they are ascribing to what they see on television. I want to put as a footnote is an activists like all of us to be mindful that the Black church in mass never supported doctor King. It's split the Baptis Convention. They have never been progressive, so there is no glory days. It has always been a small remnant to do it. One thing is that a lot of people are missing is that abortion is not on the ballot. Yeah in some states, yes, on a national thing, but I don't know how the preacher who you just listened to said he can't be in a party that supports a woman choosing, But he's in a party that supports banning books. He's a part of a party that schools will be fined if they teach black history. He is in a party that does not want to offer affordable health care. So when you talk about pro life, does it stop at the wound? Because this same party champions the death penalty. This same party doesn't want to give money to head start programs. So you can't pick and choose what is the ethics and the morality. And so I think that the Black church has got to clear its throat, oh uh and speak prophetically that there is an era and uh, their candidate does not reflect the morals that they are horsting.
Speaker 5: I often wonder, pastor, when you when you are in community, I mean you're you looked at, you know, within the Christian faith, and I assume other faiths as a also masterful handler of the word. You certainly uh are someone who has inspired me and I know many many many others along their walk. I wonder, does this conversation around the issues that we that that uh, that inteligious enumerated, whether it be l G B, t Q rights, women's right to decide the future for her own body. Are they new conversations within the confines of the Black Church? Is it? Are we revisiting old conversations or is it is it so easily just kind of swept under the rug and passed by we whisper about it. There are a couple of sermons on it, and and that's it. Have we deepened into a conversation reopened to can that's already been opened? Or is this our first time tuggling with this? And if so why At the same time, Kamala's the cannedy for President of the United States.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think there's deep seated issues is don't forget at its core the gospel is controversial and we want the gospel to be mainstream when the gospel in into itself is designed to be countercultural. It was the church that wanted to crucify Jesus, and so the issues that we are called to delve into. John Maxwell says, if you want to be like sell ice cream, our responsibility is not to be maseuse, but to be chiropractors. Is not to make people feel good, but to straighten us out so that we can stand upright. So I think that we've got to deal with the heavy lifting that a lot of people don't really like Jesus. They like religion. Jesus said, love your neighbor as yourself. What if my neighbor is LGBTQ, love my neighbor myself. What if my neighbors coming from the abortion clinic, love my neighbor as myself. What if they're just getting parolled and can't get a job. So those are the same neighbors we have a responsibility for. And the church has got a caution itself so it doesn't become a country club instead of being a community center. Desmond Tutu said something Tiffany that I really champion. Here's what Desmond Tutu said, at the end of every year, the poorest people in the community should vote to decide whether the churches stay open the next year, and if they don't have the votes, then they should close because they're not really making an impact. And I think that if we hold that model up to our churches, then we're going to see a real glaring indictment of what it is that we're really cultivate.
Speaker 4: Me ask you thank you for that. When you said Desmon Tutu said this, I thought you were about to toss to a sound bite. I'm like you right at home. I want to pull out a bit from the current election because I don't attend a church. I don't go to church every Sunday, and in fact, I know very few people who actually do attend a church. Just for context for our listeners and our viewers, so often when you hear evangelicals or evangelicalism in the media landscape, the white is silent. There's this presumption around race when it comes to religion, which is laughable to us, but that evangelicals are specific to white people, when in fact, most people who are white and evangelicals have been bound to the Republican Party. They presume that because they believe in God and they are Republicans, that they self identify as evangelicals despite never really going to church. So that's on their side of the aisle. On the black folks, though there's been a steady decline in church attendance, fort of Black millennials say they rarely, if attend church. Forty six percent of Black gen z ers say they rarely are never attend religious service. This is all according to Pew Research. Despite this decline, though, black people continue to be one of the most religious racial groups in the country. And I wonder your thoughts on that dichotomy between attending church services yet having a relationship with God.
Speaker 6: Yeah, two dimensions to that, Tiffany. This is the largest demographic of Black people since we've been in America who do not ascribe to organize faith in any way. The second part that that data does not disclose is that while those numbers are true of those who attend church, the lapse in that data from George Barner is that it's not showing how many young Black millennials and gen z stream church. So while they physically don't go, a lot of them watch online because quite frankly, they don't want to drive twenty five minutes. They don't want to be judged for teen two's and for piercings, and don't want to be reprimanded by the usher because they got on sunglasses and a hat. And so I think that the church has got to remarket itself because we got a great product, we just got bad wrapping paper. Because we want to be quote politically corrected you gotta wear a tie in a culture that no longer wears suits. Church is the only place. Negroes don't even get dressed to go to court. They don't even get dressed for their grandmother funeral. They wear spray paint t shirts. And so I think that we've got to repack Yes, yes, we got to repackage what that means and what is the gospel's amputated arm that we're not reaching the masses at that level real quick? And I don't want to belabor the point. Our generation, most of all of us, I guess in the same age group. So we grew up watching The Love Boat, watching Good Times, watching Fantasy Island. This is the largest generation. You off top. Isaac is now coming up from the Leado deck.
Speaker 3: Listen, you guys know I have a d D. He sent me down a road.
Speaker 6: Come listen, come home. This is the largest demographic that watches unscripted television. Uh so they're watching Black Ink are Real Housewives of New York and love for me? You're going to do it rest.
Speaker 4: On the podcast talk about my eighties.
Speaker 6: He threw the whole palm tree. He through the.
Speaker 1: Should have said Atlanta, which is where we are.
Speaker 4: Anyway anyway back to what the bastor.
Speaker 6: Was saying, Yes, as I was saying, tefy.
Speaker 1: But I'm glad people gonna see this and know now while we.
Speaker 6: Crazy and yes, so a lot of the preachers are doing scripted messages for unscripted generation and so they don't come off as authentic. Angela. You would know from that last election cycle, nobody thought that Trump was more intelligent than Hillary. Nobody thought he had more experience, nobody thought he had a greater global grass. The poll said she was more relatable. He was more relatable, yeah, that they could connect more with him, that she was overly polished, and I think that the church in a lot of ways are overly polished. To the second part of your question on white evangelicals, the data is still true. The most segregated hour in America is still eleven o'clock on Sundays, and they have that influential voice because more often than not it's the white preachers who were on television. True black people are still on AM radios someday three to seven BM and so I think that we've got to enlarge what our message is and hold them accountable. It's amazing you only see a multi cultural church when there's a white pastor.
Speaker 1: What I really want to I really want to ask this question. So you talk about it being the most segregated hour again, So you guys, we've not really talked about all my holy rolling days, but we should at some point.
Speaker 3: I ain't gonna go too far down.
Speaker 1: The road, but I was shocked, yes, to know that some of the folks that I would watch on TV and the John Haggis, the Rod Persons parsonally Parson personally, I don't know who Rod Persons is, but y'all, y'all got it.
Speaker 3: Like I used to. They sounded like us Jesse do planets?
Speaker 6: All of them sounded like got black pread teams, Yes, but no black people on the trustee board.
Speaker 3: And no black interests in their sermons. So I guess, I guess.
Speaker 1: My question is what do the conversations look like when you talk to white clergy, your white counterpart? Yes, have you ever had a conversation where it was like, Okay, I'm done with this. I clearly need to be back in activism and I need to be running for office.
Speaker 3: We got to go to a break. But I want to answer, have you answered that question?
Speaker 11: Is just that sid on the other side.
Speaker 6: So your answer, sir, the answer is, let's not forget the conversation that doctor King had with Billy Graham and asked him, because black people are coming to your crusades and to your events and filling your stadiums, how are you not saying anything about integration? And Billy Graham said, my call is just to preach Jesus. Your call is to talk about Jesus and activism. So he never cross pollinated. And I think what you're saying is a lot of selective biblical criticism from white evangelicals who will champion abortion but will not say anything about aggressive police, will never say anything about the prison pipeline. So you can't pick and choose. What are of equality?
Speaker 3: Do you talk to them?
Speaker 6: Oh, they won't talk to me, so let me let me give you. Let me just give you. I used to be on all of the Christian networks. I was on TBN, on Day Star, all of them until what happened. I didn't support Trump. This is true story. From the moment I didn't support Trump, I was effectively canceled from community.
Speaker 3: Yes, wow, you know it's interesting.
Speaker 5: Economics, right, economics.
Speaker 6: In the church.
Speaker 4: You guys, remember when Donald Trump went before I forget whose congregation it was at Liberty University. I think it was a religious school, and they asked in this pool got out there talking about I want to read from Two Corinthians. Is hypocritical. I think when when we hear about Christians and you know, pastor, I heard you say, you know, they have the issue of abortion. I don't call them pro life, that's what they call themselves, but they are really anti choice because even when you talk about the issue of abortion and you go to these churches and these are oftentimes members of their congregation are wealthy, even some of the pastors themselves, they are wealthy, and they are out front on this issue of abortion. And so you always ask, well, how many children have you adopted, because you're saying that's an avenue for these women. How many black children or brown children have you adopted. I'd be concerned about a black kid growing up in a space like that, And they don't answer. So I think the it is a hypocrisy blanketed by really the desire for power. And I don't know that that because there are I actually have seen churches with black pastors, but they different. They different, you know, they are a different kind of black pastor black pastors with multi.
Speaker 6: Definitely is the underbelling. The underbeling nobody deals with it is more white girls have abortion than the past. Yeah, nobody deals with that. Uh. And the reality is they have painted this face on all of the black baby. But the reason why they're trying to safeguard it, and Andrew would have the numbers better than me, is that they see the shrinking majority, uh, and they want to try to uh make sure that they keep some leverage of control because as that comedian said, is the Puerto Rican's gonna have babies. The black people are gonna have the babies. They we're gonna have him scared, We're gonna have him and go live at our grandmother house. We're gonna go and live in on our best friend's couch. Uh. And so it is that really them trying to do some population control because otherwise they want you to have the baby, but they don't want to offer prenatal care. And yeah, I want you to have the baby, uh, but they're not dealing with the inequator amount Angela, you would have it of black women who die on the table because they're not getting the kind of support that they need, and so let's not just leave it as a myopic issue when a whole lot of other panople that we got to open up with.
Speaker 4: What's your prediction? Because I think the point that you just made about white women is so key, and I told you I am hopeful that white women, a significant amount of white women if she can cut into that fifty two percent.
Speaker 1: By as soon as said this, all these white women start walking down the stairs that I have.
Speaker 4: To get me.
Speaker 6: We got you.
Speaker 4: As Let me just say, I got salt and Peppa. I ain't scared.
Speaker 3: Okay, God, you didn't kiss them today. You didn't kiss them.
Speaker 4: These girls stay ready. Anyhow, I think that white women will go and do the right thing this election because it's an issue that directly impacts them. You're right, proportionally white women have more abortions than black women. But I want to hear from you based on what you see, based on conversations with your congregation in the community, especially being based in Atlanta. What's your prediction for the election?
Speaker 6: I think number one. I think the fifth we're going to have a slumber party. I don't think that we're going to know the answer that night. I don't think that we'll know till midday on the sixth. I am concerned for places like Georgia that they won't certify the election. President Trump gave a tip of his hat the other day in New York and said that they got a surprise, he and Speaker Johnson, and so I think that it's going to be a lot of upheaval. I think that the only way that we will have peace is if Vice President wins by landslide. If it is close, it's going to be terrible. I don't know if you all saw just recently President Trump posted that pennsylvaniaish.
Speaker 5: China because he's losing.
Speaker 6: For him to say that now week out is they are already trying to put a seed plot in the ground. So I'm praying that it's going to be not an October surprise, but a November surprise.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: And we know that Republicans just asked the Supreme Court to block to block the sorry to block the counting of Pennsylvania provisional ballots, So they're setting it up even at the Supreme Court level. Supreme Court cited with Governor Younkin in Virginia on throwing out votes that they challenged these folks citizenship on and Tiff I think to this point that gets right to the heart of the political violence that you've been raising on every single I think we.
Speaker 4: Have a viewer question that takes us right to that point. I want to be sure to get them in. So let's roll that question and we'll talk about it.
Speaker 10: Good afternoon, name of Layam Pond. This is Thomas and I come to you from the Dayton and Springfield, Ohio area.
Speaker 6: Shout out to Angela and Wilberforce.
Speaker 10: I live not too far from here, so thank you for your efforts there, and I worked in Springfield, so I have seen the cultural implications that have happened in Springfield and obviously nationwide with the political discourse and cultural discourse and everything that's going on, and then with the obviously the Madison Square Garden comments and everything that's happened in the past eight years nine years with Donald Trump being the Republican candidate. When Kamala Harris gets elected, and that's a hope of mine and I'm sure of everybody there and anybody who listens to this podcast, once she gets elected, do you think that she will be enough to heal everything that's happened over the past couple of election cycles. Thanks for taking my question. Have good day. Hmm.
Speaker 4: He looked like he in a truck. If he a truck driver, I want to him out because my brother is a truck driver. As I said, so shout out to truck drivers. Just so our listeners and viewers. No, Angela is on the board of Wilberforest. That's why he was saying thank you to Angela for are.
Speaker 6: You really my grandparents met it one.
Speaker 3: I did not know that. Yes, I'm on the board.
Speaker 1: It is long even on this my highest honor. I've been on the board for six years.
Speaker 3: Six year.
Speaker 4: Shout out.
Speaker 6: I teach you paint seminary you do yes?
Speaker 5: The response guest.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think yeah. The number one I think that I don't want us to put an unfair weight on Vice President uh for the responsibility that was part of the onus that was shelved on to President Obama that he was given the responsibility to heal the racial divide in eight years to override three hundred and Trump is evidenced that it didn't work. So I think that she is better positioned to heal the country than President Trump will, but I think that all hands have to be on deck. I was in South Africa as a student doing study abroad when President Mandela was elected, and they had something all over South Africa called the Truth and Reconciliation where people were able to give hearings of their experience and to discuss how they had been impacted. Because President Mandela was of the mind you really can't govern in post apartheid culture when you still have the tremors of the impact of that trauma. And so until America really faces it's not going to happen. But the second level, James Cone, Great to Liberation theologian said, the greatest thing in America after racism is sexist And so now we've got two different wounds that we've got to handle. And what I meant to speak to Tiffany, the reason why it is so difficult for the Black church to get behind Kamala is because we have apostolic misogyny. A lot of Black churches still don't let women preach, still don't let women mam, and so it is gonna be a problem.
Speaker 4: And seeing that data, but in your experience, you found it difficult for the Black church to back Vice Resident Harris.
Speaker 6: Well, they wouldn't be polled. Yeah, no, no, no, I'm saying, And a lot of Apostolic and Pentecosta reformations. In twenty twenty four. Women still can't pastor, that's right. They still can't be ordained the elders in the church. And so now this will uproot their theology that you can't be a pastor, but you can't be a president.
Speaker 3: Women are not supposed to be the head.
Speaker 6: There we are.
Speaker 1: And now there's a thing where I don't know if you've heard this one. They say, Well, making her ahead of the country doesn't mean that she's the head of her household.
Speaker 6: A whole lot of white women who are head of a house.
Speaker 5: Cognitive sort of dissidence I think between the membership and its leadership when it comes to the Black Church, because there are things that I've heard preached about that I would never follow. It has not necessarily turned me away from the Black Church, as it is largely because the Black Church is still a place regardless of what levels you reach in society, how wealthy you are, how far you have to drive to get to it, that prioritizes the issues that confront us By virtue of our race. It's a place where our humanity is still seen first, and whether you're wealthy or not so wealthy, there's still some shared experience there which doesn't necessarily have and for a lot of other folks in a lot of different faiths. But but I think the memberships of the church. I agree with you. Jeff, you're you're you know you're where you were headed, which was that I think we're gonna overwhelmingly be behind Kamala Harris. But Pastor, you're completely right. I got offended in one place where they made my wife, who was introducing me, speak from a podium on the floor, whereas I was behind the microphone. And then when I put it together, no woman got behind the microphone. All of them spoke from the floor, and that wasn't the same situation for men.
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 5: This is a frustration of mine. I'm curious if it plagues any of y'all. But I was having a conversation yesterday with a conservative for one of our UH support staff here for Native Land podcast that he runs, and the conservative a number of times evoked, well, black babies this or the black community in Chicago and Philadelphia. No, no, da and I would say, you know, the only time I hear y'all is concerned about black folks is in juxtaposition to how bad it is that we have it here in America. But I never hear you doing anything about it. You don't rise up with me at a march, You don't rise up with us on the conditions of economic parody, so on and so forth. Why is it that you seem to only name check us when it's in relationship to something negative that's going on as some provocation for me to now vote for Donald Trump. I don't know how you handle these debates. I didn't end up ultimately going there because I didn't want to again deepen into sort of the racial divide thing. But it's a total annoyance to me that that's the only time I seem to hear this debate. Donald Trump, his running mate, their surrogates, all of us, all of them seem to name check black folks, but only yes in comparison and to further suggests how bad things are for us, and then there's a complete abandonment of us.
Speaker 6: It's selective marketing because they don't talk about Ayowa and the opioid addiction. They don't talk about North Dakota in fentanyl that they're not dealing with the level of white teens in suburban centers who are committing suicide. Uh. And so I think that we've got to enlarge the conversation. Uh. That is not even just a black problem or white problem, but it is reflective of an American problem.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 6: And Andrew, you best poised than any of us, can really sound that alarm about what it is that it means. You're one of the most consequential figures for our generation in one of the most critical regions, and your voice is so necessary from that depth of experience that you have in wisdom to really speak it and to take it on. It ain't just in Duval, but is happening is happening all the loaf Uh. And you've got to highlight and so I would encourage you to go on those spaces because they not let me an angel.
Speaker 4: I'm want to make this point about fentanyl because that is something that the right actually does bring up consistently around fentanyl, and they try to link it with the immigration status. And so I just want to offer some information there. The largest known group of fentanyl smugglers is actually not made of immigrant immigrants acrossing the border. They are Americans coming through legal ports of entry. So more than eighty percent of the people's sentence for fentanyl trafficking at the southern border are US citizens. And that's according to US all day. Just so we're clear. Someday, Well, I want to well, I have a question for you guys, because I want to stick with this theme of political violence. I you know, is my assertion. I think we're focused on the wrong thing, like election Day is going to happen. I Angela knows. I tell her all the time, she's gonna win. She's gonna win. She's gonna win. But to the viewer's question, in terms of what happens next, I do I am bracing myself for violence. I think y will come in the courts. I think violence will come in media. I think violence will come at the ballot box as we've seen, and I think violence will as certainly come in the street. Angela, you and I run the phone yesterday we were talking about this. I was talking to my sister Latasha, who did an Instagram posting this Latasha Brown, who runs Black Voters Matter, And you guys are saying I don't know, it feels different this time. You know, this rhetoric feels different, and I want you to talk about why it feels different. But I just to remind people of what has because everybody, the media made a big deal out of Madison Square Garden rally with all the racism, and it's like, were you guys not paying attention the past ten years in the media landscape, it's nothing new. I just want to play some sound from one of his rallies in twenty sixteen, and this is all nat sound that you will hear from attendees, and I'll try to talk through it for the people who can't see it. Nick, let's roll that clip.
Speaker 6: You're making me leave to.
Speaker 5: Walk up ahead.
Speaker 6: God bless Brown.
Speaker 5: I'm taking the shirt off. I'm not bucking a baby.
Speaker 4: What's your problem with talk?
Speaker 6: Said Usman is not a religion partner anology? You don't I'm talking about America.
Speaker 5: You don't want to talk about.
Speaker 6: Obama. The Trump, our president has divided this country. He doesn't do back there.
Speaker 3: Just tron the hell.
Speaker 6: You're talking about.
Speaker 3: Silas.
Speaker 4: I'm sure that may more kinds of Spanish.
Speaker 6: Next together.
Speaker 4: Who So that's from a rally? In twenty sixteen. If you're listening and not watching, it was constant scenes of violence. If you didn't hear some of the things they were saying, they use the F word rhymes with rag. They said F that nigger referring to President Obama. So I just want to punctuate the point what we're seeing is nothing new. We have all this has been consistent with his rally. So it was very disconcerting to me to see the media handle Madison Square Garden with shock and awe when this is what has been consistent at Trump rallies since twenty fifteen. Again, this is from twenty sixteen, almost eight years ago. So I just wonder what it is that feels different and just curious you guys thoughts on the landscape. That's Angela Andrew and Pastor Bryant would love to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Let's go to break and then we'll talk about what we think under this side.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to the Native Lyon podcast. I'm Pastor Jamal Bryant. I'm still in shock and awe from the video we just listened to. It is dizzying. But Tiffany, I think that we have really become a nesteized that the bizarre has become normal, that there is.
Speaker 5: Now no low bar.
Speaker 6: No matter what it is that happens, We've just accepted it and have gone on. It has not even lasted a full new cycle on the insults against Puerto Rico. It's not even a blink of the eye that doctor Phil said America doesn't need DEI because it was completely built on hard work. We're seeing your time and time again, and to our amazement as critical thinkers, people are drinking it by the gallon with a straw. To say to the comedian in New York, he was just joking the doctor Phil, Oh, well, you know he's really not a doctor, to the president saying, oh, I don't think we even vet who speaks at the microphone. And so I think that places like Native Land have got to keep our eyes open to say that it's happening right in our midst. The fact of the matter is that they can stay in an open mic that January sixth was just a festival of love since to us that we are in the lost episode of the Twilight Zone. And so I think that we've got to keep our foot on the gas.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I ah, no, no, no, you got it. She wanted you to expressivis differ.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: What feels different? Yeah. What feels different to me is I think that although we know that they were.
Speaker 1: Boldly saying violent things, being extraordinarily racist, despite people shocking all that racism was a name that we could throw out at Donald Trump, not just from twenty sixteen, but from his history of birth rihism, refusing to rent to black people in the full page as he took out on the Central Park five. I think what felt different is they said it in the crowd, they set it outside of the building. There were dog whistles that I think became foghorns. But I think this time what was different to me is it was in New York on a mic joke after joke after our jokes that weren't funny, Yeah, you know colin Puerto Rico and Island of Garbage saying that, yeah, I was getting there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he had another one for Latinos saying, you know, they don't pull out just like they don't do in our country.
Speaker 3: It just just vile and disgusting.
Speaker 4: Jokes, right, And it wasn't just me, I'm clear, everybody who took the podium a madimatolage and.
Speaker 1: It was all of the folks in the crowd who laughed to agree. Some folks grown, but they didn't leave.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 1: I think that that felt very different to me. It feels this time like they're even bolder with it. To your point, Pastor where you said that, you know, Donald Trump says, we have a surprise for you, me and Speaker Johnson. That is bolder, you know, than he has been before.
Speaker 3: This man has been.
Speaker 1: Indicted for this right, and now he's like, let me get back on here and say, y'all were really gonna take this thing.
Speaker 3: They're gonna try to take it from us, but we're gonna get bolder with it.
Speaker 1: Not Is it that he's just bold at the mic and bold with an alleged comedian. They're also bold with the Supreme Court challenges. There was a time where there was a respected window. I think it's a ninety day period where you do not challenge what's happening in the voting booth.
Speaker 3: They're like, the hell with that.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Court is on our side anyway, and the Supreme Court is ruled in their favor. That is the very thing that I think we've been most afraid of on this podcast. So it does feel remarkably different to the point, it feels like it.
Speaker 4: But I just I will just punctuate Angela. They were saying those same things at the microphone then Donald Trump himself, Well, I didn't see it. That's my point, like we it's so much coming at us that we literally forget.
Speaker 6: We can't your point, you know, to your point, Tiffany, that on political violence, psychologists will say there are seven different forms of abuse, and we only focus on physical We don't deal with verbal abuse, we don't deal with the emotional abuse, we don't deal with financial abuse. And so what we're seeing is sophisticated racism. They're not burning crosses in front of the church anymore. They're redlining the zip code around the church. Uh, they're doing a gentrification at a high velocity speed. They are really changing the laws. If we're listening intently, that if you teach black history, your school will lose funding. I think that the yes, the violence that you're speaking of is happening, and we're getting punched into chests and have a fractured ribcage and got black eyes and don't notice it because we're putting on mac lipstick on time. But the abuse is a whole lot more intense than what it was past.
Speaker 5: You're so right around the way in which the violence is being delivered. It's more palatable in some forms and less palatable in others. The video that the Tiffany Q obviously is overt out loud. No one can shuck and turn their eyes away from the fact that it is exactly what it looks like. But in a state like Florida, and Florida is not alone, It's multiplied, you know, by the tens in other states, all across the traditional south of the US. You've got governors who have already put into place policies that extract the teaching of black history out of curriculum. They've already changed what kind of information is contained on tests, statewide tests that kids are taking every single year to again extricate the truth of American history out of it from it and then to of course rip those books off the shelves with no penalty to face, no penalty to be faced, but because it's being delivered by a governor who wears a suit or a nice dress with a flower on top of it, that somehow it is appropriate and not only appropriate but right for the times, reflective of our political environment, reflective of, by and large, the cultural center at the time. All those things they're happening already. You said, you know, mac lipstick on a pig, But that's exactly the form and to take it. And I say all that to say that this is not just a problem or a party of Donald Trump. You can remove him if you want. I hope we do so successfully throughout this, you know, in this election cycle, by soundly and roundly defeating him. But his policies, what he is advancing, what he's talking about, he's just you know, he's just a messier spokesperson. But the truth is is that this is what they believe. This is who they are. These are the policies that they are advancing in our states, all across the country. They're no different. And that's what I hope, you know, to the earlier question of will a Kamala have to you know, be the right person to sort of get us past our divides, well, it takes two partners. It takes more than her. Hare's got to be willing participants opposite her on the other side. And when you got the speaker of the House, who's trading secrets of Donald Trump, likely about how it is that they want to steal this election. You got Mitch McConnell, who is about to be outgoing leader, but while he was there, he stole the US Supreme Court and hated Republicans in taking over the court. So I am I'm less dreary about the outcome of the election at this point in time, because I think we will do what we need to do to deliver at least Kamala Harris into the presidency. But I'm I'm not terrified about the violence and the forms that it may take. I'm terrified about what the next four years are going to look like in the States and even at the federal level, where they're coming to continue to produce this very disruptive and harmful agenda to our communities. And they're going to do it and it won't get the attention that Donald Trump is getting because it's going to be delivered in a pretty package with a bow, rather than you know, chaotically and with violence and all the other stuff that makes us all in polite society clutch pearls. I don't believe that that's the way it's going to happen. But I think that's going to be the most detrimental part.
Speaker 6: It is the last opportunity for the Black Church and our traditional civil rights organizations to prove themselves.
Speaker 3: Andrew, I know that's your computer Nation, I know it is.
Speaker 5: It could be somebody on the production and you don't know it.
Speaker 1: I don't know thumb is ding it anyway. So here's the thing that I also wanted to put on y'all's radar.
Speaker 3: That's making me nervous.
Speaker 1: So we know that there have been ballot boxes set on fire in Arizona, in my own state of Washington, and in Oregon. Some folks are saying that those articles are saying not just the people are saying, but articles are saying that there have been association with Gazza protesters free guys associated with those ballot boxes burning. But there was also some ballots found in the middle of the street. Andrew and tif I said that to y'all, and I was like trigger warning because I tell Pastor, I tell Andrew all the time, Like, I don't know who's more frustrated about that alleged election loss in twenty eighteen, me or Andrew. Because it's stuff like this that happens in Florida. So they find these ballots in the middle of the street and this man turns them in to the police station. There's a sealed bag in a sealed box. He takes them into the police station. Yesterday, they said that they're fine, they certified them, they're good.
Speaker 3: But what, like, where are they doing? They just drop it off? Mellisin, Like, that's violence.
Speaker 12: I believe anymore on all that. I mean, verification, verify, verify verified. Yeah, I mean even in eighteen, even in eighteen, we had, you know, issues.
Speaker 4: There were ballots they refused to count that.
Speaker 3: Were in the post.
Speaker 5: I remember there was a bomber and he was sending bombs through the mail into Florida in twenty eighteen, which then slowed down in counties like Broward and Miami Dade, largely targeting black post offices and Palm Beach County like post offices or at least where patrons where the majority of patrons tend to be black, and it halted the delivery of mail because they bought in an additional level of security screening so that these employees wouldn't be opening this mail. And some explosion happens and Unfortunately, some of the opening of that mail drug on beyond the point of certification and so thousands all of that. So they know how to disrupt elections, There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 6: They know how to do it.
Speaker 5: The lack of certifications. That only good news I have to think about the certification process is that in a lot of these places where they're refusing certification, the precincts are actually majority Republican precincts, and so the nullification of the vote is actually the nullification of their votes. You can't go to a black precinct unless you live in that precinct and be on the certification board there. You must be a voting member in that precinct in order to certify or to refuse certification. So the good I think, just like they did injury to themselves and the midterm elections after twenty twenty Donald Trump telling people not to mail in ballots cost them. They're creating reliability of the system. Saying elections are being stolen actually depressed their turnout Black folks that have persisted through this before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's and that's the thing, like I think that we have to acknowledge, Like one, this is one place where I disagree with you slightly on a nuanced I don't think it's a good idea to have anybody believing that elections aren't reliable and that we count we can't count on the vote.
Speaker 3: I think it is also frustrating.
Speaker 1: That there are places that are predominantly black where our votes are constantly challenged, tried suppressed.
Speaker 3: And even when you look at what the Supreme Court's.
Speaker 1: Involvement in this, they're the same ones that have essentially got rid of, gutted section five and section four of the Voting Rights Act and take took the teas out of section two.
Speaker 3: So now right before literally by the time our episode airs, we're gonna be five days out pastor now.
Speaker 1: It is these these people who we say are not citizens in Virginia, their ballots don't count.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 1: That's a voter perb that's a purchase of the rules right before election day.
Speaker 3: That is violent.
Speaker 1: If when you talk about what's happening in Pennsylvania, to be clear, Joe Biden only won Pennsylvania by eighty thousand votes, them saying that provisional ballots cannot get counted regardless of if a mail in ballot is counted.
Speaker 3: Is an affront to democracy. It really really is.
Speaker 1: And I think no matter what side of the aisle you stand on, you guys, I don't know if our listeners know this.
Speaker 3: The Voting Rights Act.
Speaker 1: In every single reauthorization of the Voting Rights Act until Barack Obama became president was a bipartisan vote. It was very rare for a Republican to vote against the Voting Rights Act reauthorization. Even in nineteen sixty five, there were a handful of folks that voted against it.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't got the exact numbers, but look it up to in fact check me.
Speaker 4: That is for sure.
Speaker 3: But now all of a sudden, when black people.
Speaker 1: Can get to the top of the ballot, a sudden, we got all these voting challenges and concerns, and we need voter ID and early voting days.
Speaker 3: We can't have them that long.
Speaker 1: And you want to be vote absentee? Why are you voting absentee? And we want to make sure that you're actually a citizen. We want to make you prove that you're worthy of the vote, despite the fact that your ancestors died for this right is It is a major problem. It needs to be confronted, and I don't think we should be looking at this at a partisan level at all. It is politically violent on all sides to try to discount and deterve people from believing in a democracy that yes it's fragile, then yes, in many ways is fractured, but it is not broken and it can be perfected.
Speaker 3: Didn't mean to be good, and that's so bad.
Speaker 4: I think, just like factually speaking, that is a consistent problem that was so baked into the media that it wasn't even covered. You know, I've talked about this a lot on the show. But in Detroit in twenty sixteen, more than eighty voting machines malfunctioned, which resulted in discrepancies in fifty nine percent of the precincts. I mean, these are these are actual infrastructure issues because it wasn't covered. It simply was not covered by the press unfortunately. And speaking of I do want to get in another viewer question because someone has a question talking about that, uh the media. So let's roll that and then we can talk about it on the other side. Think we can get it in before a break.
Speaker 14: He need a lampod It's Leah here. First of all, thank you so much for the platform. I love listening to y'all every single week. My question is actually about post election, but before you come from me, Angelae, I voted already and I've been telling everybody I know I love to vote, but I feel like a lot of people in my community and a lot of friends, feel like once the president is in office, we do.
Speaker 3: Not hear from them again.
Speaker 14: Tiffany also talk about how legacy media is declining. The views are not what they used to be in the journalism isn't just for what it feels like for us right now can be trustworthy. I also own and operate to publishing companies, So I guess my question to you is what can us as people who are building media companies be doing to drive this link and how can we keep the momentum going because so many people are more civically engaged than they ever have been, and I don't want that to fall off once the president goes into off it. So let me know, Carris, to hear your thoughts. It's giving maybe like a newsletter from our president, like I would subscribe to that because what are this on a task?
Speaker 3: What are we doing on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis. Thank you so much, love y'all.
Speaker 4: I love that question and I love her. I voted sticker, and we will have an answer for her on the other side of his break, so I don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to natively. I think we all we all think she had a few questions in there, and we all probably I have something to say about it. I'll just quickly say about the mediacau she's saying she's building a publishing company. I would need to know more about it to see if it's actual, you know, journalism or you book publishing, Like what does that mean? But I would just say for the media every week, I feel like I'm complaining and moaning about something in the media, but honestly, just the it is beyond a broken landscape at this point. It is utterly ridiculous. And I already talked about the way the media covered this Madison Square Garden rally, but I keep punctuating the point of newsroom diversity. You know, there still seems to be an effort in this country to center the comfort of white folks, and not even just white folks, older conservative white folks, a shrinking demographic in this country. When you look at the print landscape, when you look at the media narrative, voter suppression was so baked into the cake in every story pre twenty sixteen. We're just now barely scratching the surface on voter suppression. The same way, Angela, that you were saying, Oh, I didn't even know about Detroit. Most people didn't know about Detroit because it wasn't covered. If something like that happened with Harvard College admissions, it would have been breaking news. Something like that happened with Target losing that many members information, it would have been breaking news. But because it was voting in a predominantly black neighborhood, people did not pay much attention to it and it simply was not covered. So I think the more the media continues to center a shrinking demographic, the more they will see their viewership shrink. And we have to be wise about where we spend our time, our energy, our dollars. We have to be wise when it comes to misinformation and disinformation. So be careful and share responsibly, but also be wise about what you're watching. You know, Angela, we talk about having anxiety and I'm like, I think it's an intentional effort of the press to keep us anxious about this election because they want you to keep tuning in. I find when I don't watch the news, when I'm just reading things that are politically edifying, that are informative, my anxiety goes way down. But I do like her question about how to stay engaged. So I'm curious what you might tell young people, Angela and Andrew who there is this momentum around presidential elections, and then when it's over, you know what happens. Where does that excitement go? What can they be doing with their time and energy?
Speaker 1: I love this question for Andrew, and I love this question for Pastor Bryan since he was over the youth and college division.
Speaker 3: What about the youth past times.
Speaker 6: I think that one of the things that we've not dealt with in this episode is don't forget the bottom of the teen when all of our focus that just be on top, there's a whole lot that is at stake. Johnson will only be in place if we don't go out and vote. We've got the capacity to flip four or five seats in the House, and those are going to be critical for the certification of the election, as well as most of our public schools no longer have civic class There are things people think that the president has authority over that doesn't, and we find out all of us on social media people are asking what the vice president did or did not do because they don't understand what are the boundaries of the power of the vice president. Richard Nieber, theologian said, politicians can only do what the people allow them to do, and so I think that is part of our responsibility is to hold them accountable and to really underscore what is our ask. Power concedes nothing without a demand. If you don't ask for anything, you won't receive anything.
Speaker 3: Andrew, what about you? You started the Young Elected Officials Network.
Speaker 1: You were elected right out of FAMUS as a commissioner in Tallahassee.
Speaker 3: Like, what are the ways to stay engaged? You ran from office to stay in there.
Speaker 5: Well, one thing following you, Paster Brian, I appreciate you mentioning voting the whole ballot. I want to one I want to double down. Please please please vote your entire ballot. But I also want to say for voters, one of the things that's been turning some of the younger voters out in low information voters off is that they don't know how to vote and all the other races on the constitutional questions and some of the ordinances that may be on the ballot. And you should also be aware that your ballot does not get thrown out if you don't vote in every spot where there's an opportunity for you to cast a choice one way or another, so your ballot doesn't get thrown out if you leave some races blank. However, I encourage you before you vote, get informed so that you vote the right way to the question my co host and pastor. I think one thing that happens is when the president gets elected, they go to work, and oftentimes not enough energy and time is spent on keeping people bought along with you so that they can help you deliver on the agenda that you're trying to provide every one of us the moment you should do it now, but the moment she's elected. Should subscribe to the White House's newsletter. They should subscribe. They produce it, They produced talking points, they produce the calendar every day of what's happening with senior administration officials. So it isn't like that doesn't exist. It does exist. We have to be good citizens go get it by simply putting our name on the list and letting that information come to us. You know what, guys, I don't think there is a perfect response to this, because you recall Obama created after his election, initially used OFA as his organizing tool to keep people engaged through the election. They had more money dedicated towards that thing than a little bit to power the people to be behind the president. And even that didn't meet the expectations of many Americans who said I felt abandoned after the election. Well, guess what. This democracy requires that we do something to be part of it. It isn't that the apparatus didn't exist. It existed. How many of us plugged into it stayed ignited around it? And the truth is is all of us lose momentum after election. It sucks a lot out of us. But I gotta say, if there was a time for us to engage beyond just the election cycle, that time is now. Kamala Harris will not be able to deliver on her agenda and a divided government unless we got people in the streets, people in neighborhoods and communities that are walking canvassing, keeping their neighbors organized and aware of what's happening so that we can then demand the promises that were made demand on them. But the absence of that, y'all, we've got little chance of seeing the kinds of results that I think we've loaded onto her and onto leadership without us having her back. And it's not just in social media, but in actual canvassing, door to door information sharing operations that many of us have engaged in so far in this election. We got to keep that going.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Andrew, to your point that you said after the election, Kamala Harris has got to go straight to work. And that is the disconnect between Donald Trump, who lives from rally. He doesn't want to do the work. He wants to be at the ass party and so he has spent four years doing rallies. And so now a week, five days before the election, we still don't have a plan. Concept though, the concept of a plan, because it's not really about going to work. It's come on, meet me at you're trying to.
Speaker 1: Stay out of jail and speaking of power, conceding nothing with our demand pastor what you talk about all the time. We have another question that I think is important because on this show we engage in nuance.
Speaker 13: Hi native Lampard. My name is Carrington and I'm from Dallas, Texas. So there's been a lot of debates about Palestinian protesters coming to Democratic campaign rallies, specifically VP Harris's campaign rallies and destructing. I am a campaign staffer and I've seen this head on and I wanted to know what are y'all's thoughts because I'm not too sure if this is the most effective strategy to tackle this issue. But I'm also an advocate for human rights and I do stand in solidarity with the Palestinian people. Another question is what can I do as a person who's passionate about politics but also passionate about human.
Speaker 3: Rights and social justice.
Speaker 13: I would love to hear your thoughts on this, and also if you know any jobs that I should apply for on the hill post election day.
Speaker 5: Please let me know.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: As they say closed miles don't care.
Speaker 1: Carrington's future is bright because she ain't afraid to.
Speaker 3: To demand power. Concenes nothing without a demand.
Speaker 1: I love that she, at a young age, clearly can hold space for Palestinians and still know that ain't but one option on this ticket right that I think is remarkable for someone at her age. And I do think it's a good question is this strategy effective? And if like we have been, we've been in solidarity not just in speech but also in our in our actions co hosts and pastor with the Palestinian people, I wonder what is the path forward because we know that what is happening over there cannot continue. And I cannot imagine if I had a relative there I say this all the time, I would be a fool.
Speaker 3: I don't know what ledge y'all would have to talk me off of.
Speaker 6: Yeah. No, when you look at the fact that both sides have been doing better tap dancing than Sammy Davis Junior, is they have to really bowl right down the center aisle at the DNC convention. They had to really make their voices heard. Imagine if there was no disruption, how much more would have gone forward. I think a data just came out from the New York Times that eighty two percent of the destruction and the bombs that have gone off and the chaos American taxpayers have paid for. And so if we haven't been sounding the alarm, the carnage would be that much deeper and greater. One of the handicaps we had tiffany with President Obama's presidency as black people were in a crosshair on how do you protest pharaoh when he looks like you. So when it is that we wanted to call him out on certain issues we were seeing as sellouts, don't say anything. And I think that we've got to learn from it that we put policy over personality and realize that even while it is that I like you, I love you enough to challenge you, and I think.
Speaker 5: That that's our response to I love that. And I also think these protesters are going where they feel that their voices still may be heard, where they still may make a breakthrough. For many of us were saying, we are allied with you because we believe in human rights. But for them, it's like, forget human rights. I'm talking about my cousin and my aunt, my mother's sister, and my uncle, and it is so so much more deeply personal that I don't feel like any of us have the prerogative to direct how they are to vote and how they ought to show up in American politics I think their fight ought to be anywhere they can wage it, anywhere they can get in range of somebody being on the other side with a listening ear. They got to make their demands, and whomever we're making them to how to desensitize themselves to it being an attack on you, and moreover, an attack on what you now represent, which is an institution, is as a system. Kamala Harris, if elected, will be at the helm of the United States government, and that means everything that flows from that table. Everything She will bear some responsibility for she and her administration, because the Supreme Court is ruled that the executive branch exists of a leader of one, the President of the United States. That's the only place where that is true. Between the three branches, the Judiciary US, between the nine justices, the Congress is split. They split between four to thirty five in the House and another hundred in the Senate. The executive is one according to the law interpreted by this court, and so you will have to answer for it. And she becomes again the helm, the representative voice of an institution and of course the most powerful nation in the world.
Speaker 6: To Tiffany, to go back to political violence, Uh. And I want to go back two segments on what we raised about Madison Square Garden. We cannot give a pass to Ruty Julie who got to the mic uh and vilified two year olds. Uh. They said two year olds can't come in the country because two year olds are trained assassin when they just learning to tie the issues.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: And so I think in the in the backlash of that kind of vitrol, that you've got to be disruptive. But my only issue that I want to stay with them, my dear sister from Texas, is that I think is the imbalance if you're only doing those disruptions at the Democratic Party but not doing any of that at the Republican rallies. I think they're just got to be fair. It's got to be balanced because their language is very threatening.
Speaker 3: That's to Andrew's point, though they know where they can go if they.
Speaker 10: Go to.
Speaker 3: Earlier their laws are literally at.
Speaker 1: State going to those rallies, the violence then people saying that Islam is not a relationship.
Speaker 4: That said, yeah, well, right go ahead.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to respond really quickly because she was asking if it was effective, and I just want to say, Andrew, I really appreciate your point about saying like that's their cousin, that's somebody they know. And I gotta say, if a government was funding the killing of my people who look like me, who I'm related to, who I can touch to, I email, who I taxis are real life people looking at soon crossing over fifty thousand people, mostly women and children, and they're being silenced here in America. And if you look at Western media, it's a very specific narrative that is not always accurately portraying what is happening over there. Brown University right here in America, just suspended it's chapter of Students for Justice for Palestine. The students are saying it is a politically motivated act on behalf of the university. We've seen across college campuses everywhere. So when you're being silenced, you deserve to be heard. So if that is where they can be heard, I think Vice President Harris handled it very well this week when she was disrupted and she said, hey, hey guys, I hear you and address them. I like her handling it that way. It's not a good idea to eject people or reject what they're feeling, or deny their experience, and she has this is a real issue, and we just got to be honest about this. She has a real issue with the Arab community around Gaza, and it seems like a small solution to call for an immediate, permanent ceasefire. And so I think as much as they can be heard, we support that for sure. And I also just want to point out that this week Donald Trump insulted Michelle Obama for the first time. It's like he's known better before, but now he's come out and called her nasty, really because she got the better of him and he's a child, but he insulted her this week. So I think this level of vitriol that's coming if they the saying about if we don't say anything for Palestinians when they come for us, we have to speak up. They have to become we. We have to become us when you harm somebody, we stand on the side of goodness and righteousness.
Speaker 5: So is clear that there's always another yeah, because because their grievance, that is their politics. Now, grievance is their politics. We're not hearing plans. Nobody's talking about going and voting for him because of his position on X Y and Z and and such and such. It's it's the fact that their politics is now the politics of complaint, and that there's always another or another that's responsible for whatever injury that you happen to be feeling. And for a party that used to talk about bootstraps and and and strength and so, I mean, I've never seen a weaker version of themselves that I have in these last several years of politics. It is very, very, very weak, and I think unrepresentative of what they tout about who they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we are. At the end of our show, we always have cause. Oh no, he gonna go first.
Speaker 1: So we have calls to action at the end of every episode, Pastor Jamal Harrison Bryan, So what do you have for us?
Speaker 3: What's our call to action this week?
Speaker 6: Our call to action is every relative you have, I need you to blow up the phone. I want you to send all of them to rides to vote ridesdovote dot com. We've got free uber rides for everybody to get to your polling station. I don't want you to have any excuse. You don't have to hitchhike, you ain't got to catch two buses. You can get an uber to the polls. I need you to go tell it on the mountain or over the hills and everywhere. And as we said, don't just vote at the top of the ticket, vote all the way down and read the pieces of legislation that are on the ballot for your state and for your region. Many of them about museums and about schools and about funding different areas. So if you really want to be involved, educate yourself. Angela and I are Alumness of the NAACP. Mega Evers gave us the blueprint and said, voter education, voter registration, get out the vote. I don't want you to just go out and vote. I want you to know what you're voting for and what it's about. The people are clear that our people are dying from a lack of knowledge, So find out before you go to the polls.
Speaker 3: Love it very good.
Speaker 1: I have two One, you know, since we got the Passion House, I want to shout out everybody who goes to Bible study on Wednesdays.
Speaker 3: That was that's when our church used to do Bible study.
Speaker 1: And since we talked about Two Corinthians earlier, I want to talk about two Timothy one and seven, where it says that God hasn't given us a spirit of fear, but of power.
Speaker 3: Of love, and of a sound mind.
Speaker 1: So if you go to a rally and you see a whole lot of fear, talk, yes, okay, So now I just want to go over here to shout out Black voters matter. We're gonna be with them a few more times before election Day. We have three stay with Me three live shows coming up. We will be in Tallahassee this Friday for Andrew's homecoming at Florida A and M University.
Speaker 3: Thought I thought she was like, no, you list a finger your froze.
Speaker 4: I can't see that's a schizophrenic cat.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Lord, yeah, y'all make sure you turn into that. We won't say the name of that episode because the pastor is here. But also we are going to be in Philadelphia on Monday and we will be at Howard University on Tuesday with our good brother Lenar. We are going to do a joint breakfast club Native lampod live Election Day, hopefully history making election day where the voter turnout is so great they can't even stop you with a provisional ballot not counted. So yes, go out and vote say the website for us one more.
Speaker 6: Time, rides to vote dot com as that you'll please go spread it everywhere, and I'll call to action. I want to, and I want to. I got to. I gotta do it. I got to invite Tiffany and those of you who don't go to church. I cannot. I cannot go out without inviting Tiffany come to church. And those of you who don't go to church. I want you to come. And those of you don't feel comfortable come to church. Stream us go to New.
Speaker 4: Clear.
Speaker 3: What is the next episode dropped tomorrow?
Speaker 6: Tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Next episode drops same day as he gonna be on two podcasts tomorrow.
Speaker 3: All right for today today because Andrew and Tim, you guys tip he said, y'all doing one life from church.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, my call to action is not political. I so you all just heard Angela go over our schedule. She'd been messing up my travel all the time. Okay, so I'm getting off my flights. Where were we Atlanta?
Speaker 3: So pray where is this going? I'm nervous my call to action?
Speaker 4: I think I told you what happened is if I want the viewers to know. So anyway, Pastor Bryant. I'm getting off the plane and I need to rearrange my whole travel okay, And so I'm like, I don't have time. Let me just google MX Travel and I uh just hit call AMEX Travel and I'm on the phone and honey, I didn't gave these people to key to my whole life. They're like, we need to verify your account number, we need to verify your security number. Do y'all know I was not talking to MX Travel. Somebody then bought the website, like it's a weird website and it's slightly you gotta watch it. And I gave these people everything, and the thing that made me Spidey gave my spidy senses like five. They had me on hold for like five minutes, and I'm like, AMEX wouldn't have me on hold that long, not with these big ass balances. I carried, somebody better get on this call. And ten seconds and I hung up and I had to call AMEX and tell them. So my call to action is these scammers are getting good and better and tighter. They didn't get anything for me, and AMEX was able to, you know, just say, oh yeah, they shut it down. But if I heard this story, I would have thought, Oh, that wouldn't happen to me. And I'm telling y'all, it happened to me. They almost got me, but they didn't. So just be careful on but God, So be careful on what information you give and how you're verify that you're talking to the correct person. That's my CTA, my testimony, my thankfulness in my CTA.
Speaker 5: My caught action is a repeat but directly specifically targeting Florida voters. If you are a Florida voter, a Democrat in Florida, and you haven't voted yet, please do so asap. Republicans are outpacing Democrats quite significantly in early vote and absentee vote. That has not always been the case. In twenty eighteen, Democrats outpaced Republicans by that matrix. And so if you're in the state of Florida, there are serious issues questions on the ballot, to include the legalization of marijuana, to include the modification of ROE in the state's constitution, protecting a woman's right to make her own reproductive health decisions, and a number of local issues that are too numerous to name, but I know Republicans have done an incredible job at beating the spirit out of us, of sitting on our backs and constricting our breathing in every single way, trying to force us out of the system. But we make that job easier when we choose not to participate. So you're in Florida, it really is for everywhere. But I want to admonish my state, particularly to get out and vote because five days before the final day of election day, we ain't looking so great. So let's get those numbers up. That's it.
Speaker 3: Well, this is episode forty nine.
Speaker 1: Like we said, we got five days, we got five on it till election day. Make sure you take five people with you and only vote one time five people.
Speaker 3: Please make sure you take five people with you are more than that.
Speaker 1: Before we end the show, I want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Lampard. We're available on all platforms and YouTube. New episodes drop every Thursday. You can also follow us on social media. We are angela Rie, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gillim and our guest host. But you know you have a pastor in the building. Jamal Harrison Bryant was New Birth Missionary church missionary Baptist Church.
Speaker 3: I messed up. I've left off.
Speaker 6: The Baptist did it.
Speaker 1: But he was A and me first, and he was an NA A c P at the same time as A and me. Okay, I'm done, all right, I'm done here.
Speaker 2: So thank you for joining the Natives attentional with the info and all of the latest rock gullim and cross connective to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients reason for your choices clear, so grateful it took to execute roles than for serve defending protect the truth.
Speaker 6: He went and paint we will walking home to all of the Natives. We thank you.
Speaker 3: Welcome all, y'all, welcome.
Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.