Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from the heart of Silicon Valley with Ed Ludlow in Men Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up. The jobs markets cooling with US employers unexpectedly cutting jobs in July, and AI may be part of the story, plus tech earnings back in focus will be joined by the CEOs of Twilio, Lyft and DraftKings on their results and Open AI's first consumer device will be an AI smart speaker that will look like a donut. Will have the details. This is what markets look like this Friday. Happy Friday to you. It is a story about jobs, data, tech stocks pushing highlan asset one hundred up eight ten percent, some outperformance in chips and US year yield. I picked the US ten year yeld because we saw a move across the curve. But why not four point six four percent on the yield. We need to get into the numbers. Is there an AI story? Bloomberg International Economics and Policy Editor Mike McKee is with us, start with the numbers themselves, Like, what did the data show this morning?
Speaker 3: In simple terms?
Speaker 4: Well, basically, we lost jobs for the first time in many months, twenty three thousand jobs. Last time we lost some jobs was in February. Now why did that happen. A lot of it was government jobs. Local government education fell by fifty thousand, so it's not as bad as it looks on the surface. And unemployment fell to four point one percent. The reason for that is because a labor force shrunk again two hundred and forty thousand, fewer people looking for work, which pushed unemployment down to four point one percent. If you're not looking for work, you're not unemployed. But the good news and the potential AI story here is that on the positive side of the jobs numbers, we saw a lot of hiring in the sectors that AI touches, especially in construction for AI, data centers, et cetera, specialty contractors, and non residential construction, almost twenty thousand jobs in total, as demand for workers in those areas continues to really ramp up. And then you look at the manufacturing side for computers and semiconductors.
Speaker 3: And they added jobs as well.
Speaker 4: We haven't seen in a number of other categories, so ed at this point, it looks like AI is one of the few areas that did well last month. And that doesn't show any signs of really slowing down the.
Speaker 2: Legend mistem Economy Bloomberg International Economics and Policy correspondent Mike mckeeth, Thank you very much. Let's stay with that job's impact, joining us as Sarah Franklin Lattis CEO, and you know, Mike made the data so clear where there were gains were in industries that are seeing AI capital deployed, construction of data centers, for example. Your interpretation of those data.
Speaker 5: Points, Our interpretation is that this isn't a crisis.
Speaker 6: This really is the recalibration.
Speaker 5: What you're seeing is the workforce changing and evolving as AI takes shape, not just in the tech sector, but also in manufacturing and construction. So this is really a recalibration that we've been anticipating.
Speaker 2: How committed our companies big and small on your platform to sort of long term hiring. The bit that I'm struggling to understand is like, in the short term we get monthly changes in numbers, but companies come up with plans for this year, next year all the time. Do you see any evidence that they're restructuring the composition of those workforces?
Speaker 6: And we do.
Speaker 5: We see that companies are now through the chaos that we had the last several years where there wasn't predictability, and now companies are planning the long term. They're understanding what AI is good for and what it's not.
Speaker 6: They understand it much better than we did a year ago.
Speaker 5: So you're seeing companies recalibrate their workforce. You're seeing for deployed engineers. You're seeing people understand how AI can help them.
Speaker 6: And people are also.
Speaker 5: Realizing that just because AI is here doesn't mean that the work isn't. You can't just lay off a lot of workers and the work go away. You still need the knowledge, you still need the trust that you have in your company and the culture. And you see companies saying, Okay, we need our people, but we need to invest in their skills, not severance packages. We need to help them come along with this new trend. And so again it's a recalibration of the workforce and it's a transformation that every company is making and they're planning longer term.
Speaker 2: How competitive is compensation right now for existing workforce, but also if they are bringing people in in specific subsectors, the need to pay to get those best people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, this is a reality, is that people with the skills in demand will be able to command solid compensation. And as cost rise, so do wages need to as well. And this is again a recalibration that you're seeing in the workforce, and it's a call to everyone to make sure that you are skilled in AI, that you understand and are proficient in the technology skills that companies are hiring for. And it's a tried and true thing that if there's skills that are in demand, companies will pay for them.
Speaker 2: What's one thing that you're saying through the Lattice platform that surprised you since last year on the show.
Speaker 5: So something that's surprised me is how a lot of companies are coming to us and saying, Sarah, we just want to get back to business basics of how we manage our workforce, how we understand the performance of our workforce, and really that workforce intelligence and so the basic habits that you need from all the away from your executive suite to your individual contributor to understand how people are performing, how their work relates to the outcomes of a company. That is what the back to basics is so powerful right now.
Speaker 3: So you're using the word performance.
Speaker 2: What was so interesting this morning, outside of sort of the technology contexts, was how quickly the conversation goes to productivity.
Speaker 3: Right when you get set of jobs numbers.
Speaker 2: You know, all these different maybe they're from fixed income, maybe they're inequities market saying oh, you know, we're starting to see AI driven productivity in the economy. What's the sort of workforce evidence of that.
Speaker 5: Well, the workforce evidence is that what you're seeing is people are able to really do more, but in a way that is strategic to the business. It's around helping AI automate tasks that used to distract your time and attention and when you can put your time into the strategy really thinking of how you're going to grow, because you don't shrink your way to growth.
Speaker 7: ED.
Speaker 6: This is every company is thinking how do I grow? How do I perform?
Speaker 5: How do I unlock the human potential? And Lotus helps all of our customers do that. And that's the frame of mind that all of the companies are in right now is how do we grow and how do we use our existing workforce, invest in their skills, invest in how AI can help them to grow.
Speaker 3: That was so beautifully six sincts.
Speaker 2: You know how AI can automate a task that would be distracting or take up your time. If somebody's good at AI, and it's good at allowing AI to do that time consumption for them, are they able to then turn around in command higher compensation.
Speaker 5: They are because they have the knowledge that is immediate that can augment their skills and expertise. And that is how I mean even today the job supports information is something which AI helps me deeply understand everything that's going on nuanced, I don't have to spend an hour doing research. I can get the information very quickly, and that is how I can then show up with my perspectives as a CEO of an HR tech company to share what I'm seeing instead of spending my time just understanding the all of the data. AI can really help me do that and be strategic as a CEO.
Speaker 2: Sarah Franklin A laddis, thank you very much. Indeed a big factor in the market. SpaceX shares are bouncing back even as a massive wave of inside A stock hits the market. Yes, we're up almost nine percent. Shares climbing Thursday, of climbing Friday and Thursday in a multi day move, as the lock up expired for as many as nine hundred.
Speaker 3: And twelve million shares.
Speaker 2: That's worth roughly one hundred billion dollars, but follows a fourteen percent plunge Wednesday after SpaceX's first earnings report as a public company, which showed higher than expected AI spending. One of the catalysts right now is Augus upgrading the stock to buy, pointing to a rapid payback from those AI investments. A one hundred and sixty dollars price target, but we remain pretty firmly below the IPO price of one hundred and thirty five dollars a share set in June. Okay, coming up. Earning season continues. Twilio just beat analyst expectations for its second quarter, blue past them. Really, we had the CEO Cozemership Chandler with us.
Speaker 3: Next, this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Tech cloud communications platform. Twilio reported second quarter earnings with strong results, beating analyst expectations on revenue and reporting record profit, profitability, and free cashflow. Yes, that is a stock that's up twenty nine percent, on track for its biggest jump since May of twenty twenty. Twilio CEO Cosmoship Chandler joins us here in the San Francisco studio.
Speaker 3: It's a big stock move.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, we had a great quarter.
Speaker 9: We were able to re accelerate growth on the top line, grow our gross profits, and turn in record free cash flow and profitability. I mean, I think right now we're one of those kind of rare stocks that's able to demonstrate you know, quite good financial characteristics, also reduce our stock based compensation, and you know, kind of position ourselves as an AI winner.
Speaker 2: So an AI winner. I find that really interesting. I've tried to talk to as many people as I can about is Twilio the predator or the prey in this in this AI world? And actually the response was they are AI proof. Essentially, you have done deals with forty five hundred, four thousand, five hundred carrier agreements, right that that is bulk messaging, Like that shows that you have a big place in this era.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, I think the way to think about it, it's actually forty eight hundred, right, forty eight hundred different interconnections across one hundred and eighty countries all over the world. Like that's a level of complexity that is regulated. It requires like physical contracts that actually have to get done and a very very significant level of compliance that we make sure that our customers go through so that we protect consumers on the other side. And that complexity actually creates mode And I wouldn't actually necessarily call ourselves predator or prey.
Speaker 8: I mean the way that we.
Speaker 9: Position ourselves is as the Switzerland of kind of this AI era. I mean, we want to be infrastructure that any company can integrate to and be seamless based on what choices they've.
Speaker 3: Already made about it.
Speaker 2: You do have AI based or AI powered messaging tools for example, Those also showed traction in the Core to Gone.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean the interesting thing, to be honest, is that AI is a small part of the story, to be.
Speaker 3: Honest for you right now, for us.
Speaker 9: Today, I mean, it's certainly creating a little bit of tailwind, but in terms of its like material contribution to revenue that is still relatively modest. And I think given the fact that we're relatively early innings in the AI story, there's a lot more tailwind coming here for the company.
Speaker 2: Well, look at it another way, how many AI native companies I know people some people say umbrage with that phrase rely on Twilio thousands.
Speaker 3: That's the truth.
Speaker 9: But the reality also is that they are relatively small contributors to revenue.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 9: The reality on the other side of it is is that enterprises like they're the ones spending the dollars. Right, So if you think about the contribution to revenue that's really coming from much larger companies. Even though we're super excited.
Speaker 8: To be able to work with all these really.
Speaker 9: Creative AI startups orion ai ultrap, you know, we all the way through to you know, a digital native like an Alassian, or you know, kind of even a leading home retailer that we pointed to in our most recent remarks, like that whole breadth of capabilities that we offer to any company on the planet. Like, that's what gets me excited about the opportunity here.
Speaker 2: Again, the stock is up almost thirty percent and on track for its best day since May of twenty twenty, but up now seventy six percent year to day, so you're getting the credit for it. The big picture academic debate is what does the world look like where a consumer an individual interacts with a real AI agent, And there are lots of parts of your business where you have to think about that future, how do you think about it?
Speaker 9: I mean, actually, I think that provides even mortail ones, right. I mean the future that we're literally planning for is one in which interactions are human agent human agent to human. That's going to require channels. We're also sort of making investments that anticipate a future in which if you're interacting with an agent, you've got to be able to know.
Speaker 8: Who they are on the other side.
Speaker 9: And so we're starting to make investments in identity, for example, through the channels that we already provide to our customers, and then using context as a means to be able to power this next era of AGENTICAI.
Speaker 2: Prior to being CEO, you had other roles at Twilio, and I think a lot of people are looking at the bottom line and how structurally different the profit story for this company is. I think it's right to say that that was a focus for you in your tenure as CEO of the company.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean it's been a focus, and I mean I think we want to be known as people that are running the company well, we want to be financially disciplined. I think we have opportunities to make new investments. But frankly, we don't have to start a new investment cycle. We can take the cash flows that we're already generating, reinvest some of that back into the company, but also provide operating leverage back to our investor base.
Speaker 2: We've had a very financed focused conversation and I'm going to end that way as well. You know, you have before you double digit organic growth, right, kind of set out into the future, what's the biggest headwind or risk to that.
Speaker 9: I don't see a lot of headwinds kind of sitting here today. I mean, look, we always operate in a dynamic macroeconomic environment. I think the AI story, you know, it's a very long, kind of secular tailwind. It's probably going to be bumpy from time to time. But as I kind of look through like the medium to long term, I see a lot of opportunities for the company, and you know, we're ready for the moment. We're kind of hitting our stride and we're very, very excited about what we're building and what our customers are doing, and it's on us to anticipate their next move'.
Speaker 2: Twalie I Ceea Cousmanship China, with the stock up more than thirty percent. Now, thank you very much. Let's get over it to New York. K Webloomberg's you hire and is standing by with some news You hire, Hi Ed.
Speaker 3: It's time now for talking tech.
Speaker 11: First up s k Heinez is leading a record eighty three billion dollars in share sales by Asian firms, making July the highest ever monthly haul for firms in the Asia Pacific region, and the South Korean company isn't slowing down with plans to spend thirty eight billion dollars to expand it's chip making facilities in the country. Plus, AMD has plans to purchase Canadian startup talents to build new AI chips, expanding the company's chipbobrings is it tries to differentiate itself from competitor Nvidia, tell us this technology is used in chips that handle inference and says that hardwiring AI models into chips can create more efficient machinery and moonshots. Kimmy K three is the latest AI model to escape a sandbox in a third party test. That's according to research firm Frontier Security. Kimmy K three joins the life of models from Anthropic, Open Ai, and Meta, adding to concerns on how well these AI companies can control.
Speaker 2: Your technology ed Thank you Hira, and happy Friday to you now coming up. Look at shares of Take two up around three to four percent after the company reported earnings with lies on the anticipated release of Grand theft Auto six.
Speaker 3: Discuss that next this is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Open AI's first consumer.
Speaker 3: Device will look like a doughnut.
Speaker 2: According to sources, The ai smart speakers designed to be carried around the home with one hand and is slated to be released next year. The device will be positioned as an AI first computer that can help users get things done and will compete with moving and be complete with moving parts that help give it personality, and is likely to cost more than three hundred dollars. Those sources say, don't have a picture of it for you. I'm sure we will see one soon. Look at shares we take to Interactive up more than four percent now. The company posted first quarter bookings beading estimates at one point three nine billion, but two kept its four year forecasts below Wall Street expectations and trimmed its profit outlook.
Speaker 3: And of course, all.
Speaker 2: Eyes remain on the biggest release in the pipeline, Grand Theft Auto six joining us A.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, I.
Speaker 2: Honestly kind of feel like we can part the performance in the court had gone and the kind of financial outlook. It is all about GTA. You have been talking to the company about that. They are signaling that the the pre demand tells us something that this is hasn't happened before.
Speaker 12: Yeah, investors, it's funny these these bookings and even an un revenue numbers beating missing estimates doesn't really matter. The number that investors really want to know is the number of pre orders that GTA six has right now, and TATO is not saying them. Take two has said that the number is unprecedented and exceptional and astounding. Those are all words of CEO strasdelnct Us. Yes, but they're not saying the exact numbers. So all eyes are on November nineteenth for the launch day and the final sales figure.
Speaker 2: The idea is that the world will have an expectation of what that number would be because we have a really good sense of what the prior GTA titles were able to achieve. Right, we know the date, but give us the kind of backstory of why it's taken us so long to get to GTA six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a couple of things.
Speaker 12: So, GTA five, the last game in the series, came out in twenty thirteen and has since sold two hundred and thirty million copies. It did really well on launch day, but a lot of those sales have come in the year since then. It was really a long tail and unprecedented longtail for that game. And so the numbers that we're expecting here are going to be exponentially higher than the numbers we saw from GTA five on launch day because the series has gotten all that much bigger since then. As for why it's taken so long, this game has been in development for about eight years since the since the release of Red Dead Redemption two, which was Rockstar's previous game, And it's big, it's fast, it's got a lot going on. We'll find out more soon. And one another kind of date to watch if you're interested in Take two shares is August twenty seventh, which is when Rockstar and Take two has said they are going to show the first extended look at GTA six, meaning what it's actually going to look like and feel like to play the game rather than the kind of cinematic trailers that they've shown so far.
Speaker 3: And that's actually it's unprecedent.
Speaker 12: Another unprecedented thing is that it's going to be a Netflix exclusive. The gameplay is going to be released on Netflix six hours before increasing the rest of the Internet.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg, Jason Schreyer with all things GTA six, Thank you very much. Indeed, one other company out with earnings is Airbnb, and shares jumping by the most in sixteen months after the company boosted it's annual revenue forecast for a second time this year, citing robust demand in the US and also in Europe. Bloomberg, Natalie Luan is here, what do we need to know?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so Airbnb is seeing this really strong demand, especially from North America group travelers, really strong people of booking entire homes to go travel with friends, and you know, it's really contributing to this growth. Optimism that Airbnb is seeing is kind of a different story from last year where they would always call out that North America is sort of the drag on the business. And another thing to call out is, you know, this kind of optimism would bode well for a lot of Airbnb's new business initiatives like a la carte services like in home beauty appointments and grosser stocking, as well as their new you know, hotel booking initiative as well.
Speaker 2: So that's my question, what is Airbnb's technology story right because you have to look past it being a short term rental story right now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So CEO Brian Chesky is trying to turn his company into an AI native company, using AI to help people discover homes more quickly, make a decision on the reservation more quickly, and basically.
Speaker 3: Convert them into bookers.
Speaker 10: So upcoming futures later this year include AI Search, which will be more conversational with more visual elements than your traditional chatbot. The other thing is like an AI home comparison to that they're testing. So that's what we're going to expect from them in the coming year.
Speaker 3: Bloombergs Nastie, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Coming up, Lift CEO David Rischer joins us to discuss his company's earnings and its global expansion efforts. That's next. This is what markets look like. There has been a sharp slow down in US jobs market, technology stocks are higher, There is outperformance in semiconductors. Bond yields are falling, and it's all about the idea that that interpretation from the market reflects that the Fed will not be forced to raise interest rates anytime soon. Pretty good economic sum. It's halftime. This is San Francisco and Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: A welcome back to boom Go Tech.
Speaker 2: It's a Friday where markets are being driven by economic data. Technology stocks are higher, We're up one percent on the NAZAQ one hundreds. Some outperformance in chip stocks, but very simply, there was a slowdown in the US jobs market.
Speaker 3: Not only are stocks.
Speaker 2: Higher, yields are coming down on treasuries, and the interpretation is that the Federal Reserve is not under sort of immense pressure to raise interest rates anytime soon. That is what's kind of happening in the here and now of the market. There are bigger and longer term considerations. Black Rocks sought to raise debt financing for a metadata center, but there was one type of investor. The asset management giant was trying to avoid those looking for a quick profit, so it focus on real money accounts, pension funds, insurance funds to avoid fast trading investors who can quickly tank a bond's secondary market performance, and so farther strategy looks to be working. Bloomberg's credit reporter Tashos Rosos is here to explain why there is a lot happening. Basically, supplis exploded and issuers have tried to reassure the market that supply is not going to overwhelm it and in the middle black rocks trying to manage that environment.
Speaker 3: It's exactly that.
Speaker 13: I mean, we were here last month talking about how these bonds underperforming the secondary market because frankly speaking, people who are concerned. People concern us so much bonds are going to come into the market, they won't be able to absorb that many. And what banks are trying to do now, obviously you cannot take away the AI build up. That's the future. The market has actually agreed with that, so that has to be financed somehow. But what the banks are trying to do is trying to take away the risks out of the market as much as they can. As you mentioned, fast money accounts, those who like buy the bonds sell them straight away for a quick profit. We've seen in previous months they come to the market and the bon price tanks straight away. You have to take them out of the market. And then of course you have reassurance by companies saying, yes, we're going to raise twenty five billion dollars to day one, comeback until the end of the year, as we saw yesterday with Alphabet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we covered Alphabet.
Speaker 2: You know recently there have been several twenty five billion dollar bond deals, right I think about Amazon, Vidia, SpaceX. The main point is that there has been poor trading after that issuance, but the market still keeps going.
Speaker 13: Indeed, it keeps going, but the concerns are brewing a lot. So Barclay is the big British bank, reached out to three hundred investors and they ask them, what do you believe is going to drive risk premiums across bonds. Of the hyperscalers, sixty percent of them said supply cadence. What they're meant by that is the pace of supplying. Bring too many bonds and the market is going to go berserk. Twenty five percent, which is like a distant second, was whether these THEI investment is going.
Speaker 3: To play out.
Speaker 8: So there are two.
Speaker 13: Major risks in the market right now. The investors have to digest one is whether the AI prom is going to keep which is a bit of a longer term concern. The main concern right now as we speak is what people said, the supply and how you manage that, and this is what banks are trying to do, manage it better.
Speaker 2: This is the story that everyone's been reading about this morning. Bluebog's testos forrus Us, Thank you very much. Indeed, back to tech earnings shares of LIFT higher. The company reported growing demand for premium rides, also strengthening European markets. Super interesting and kind of the global expansion story. Lift CEO David Risher is with us. There is a very specific data point actually that I'd like to start on, and that is that in markets specifically San Francisco where you have Lyft rides and Weimo rides, you said San Francisco grew twenty percent year on year.
Speaker 8: That's right.
Speaker 2: Explain the causal or casual relationship within that data point.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 14: So you know, our industry has gone through a big transformation and it is the sort of bringing on of these self driving vehicles WAYMOW courses the market leader.
Speaker 8: In that time.
Speaker 14: You see a transformation like this, one or two things can happen. You can either see sort of a substitution or you can see a market expansion, and in this case, we're seeing a market expansion.
Speaker 8: And it's not that surprising.
Speaker 14: When people take self driving cars, they tend to like them a lot. They're very reliable product, They're a nice private product, so you feel like you could have a private conversation. But at the same time, it doesn't seem to take away from people's interest in being driven by humans who can help with luggage or have a good conversations.
Speaker 8: So it really is a creative.
Speaker 3: This is a micro case study.
Speaker 2: It's one market San Francisco, but you know, the questions are is Lift gaining market share from Weimo in this city or is it that this is an issue of supply So because somebody cannot get into a Weimo within a reasonable timeframe, they go to the lift app, which is happening.
Speaker 8: I probably both, honestly, probably so interesting.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and I think this is such an interesting thing that's going to play out. My expectation over time is what will dominate will be the market expansion. And again, the reason is sort of simple. You have a cool new product coming onto an existing platform, and where we believe the hybrid now, which is you know, human driven cars plus avs really kind of creates the best possible welcome for everyone.
Speaker 8: But we'll know, we'll I'll have to see how that works.
Speaker 2: I think that you and I have discussed on several occasions the idea that the introduction of the robot taxi and maturity of the market expands the overall tam for ride hailing.
Speaker 3: Just recap that that argument.
Speaker 8: I think that's exactly it.
Speaker 14: So, I mean, look, people take just in the United States, about one hundred and sixty billion rides a year in their private cars.
Speaker 8: Okay, today we deliver a.
Speaker 14: Billion, maybe the other guys deliver two billion, So it's called that three billion and of one hundred and sixty billion. And it's a good experience. You're sitting in the backseat, you're able to text, you're able to have your own space. What holds it back, Well, for whatever reason, some people might want not want to be driven by another driver or someone else in the car. This takes that away. I'll tell you a very specific story. So I was just with an old friend of mine. I just ran intrew it into the airport. Her son had a tragic, tragic accident a couple of years ago, absolutely devastating physical accident.
Speaker 8: He's in rehabilitation.
Speaker 14: For him, the idea of getting in a self driving car where the doors open wide, maybe there's not even a driver there not there's thing wrong with that, but it just gives them more space to sort of be in his own zone is.
Speaker 2: Actually going to be a technology and an engineering story, design story.
Speaker 14: It's a design story exactly. And so so anyway, I'm very optimistic about this. And then when I look at our capabilities around fleet management and you know, kind of maagining supplying demand, I get really excited about the future.
Speaker 2: Lift is let's let's go back to the core business and then earnings. But Lift is pushing outside of the United States. You know, every time you've been on the show over the last year, there's been a development on that front. But what do we actually learn through your earnings about how you're growing x USA.
Speaker 8: So here's what's really cool.
Speaker 14: So Lift was primarily a domestic company up until about a year ago, maybe call it eighteen months ago. Then we started to expand in Canada. That's gone very well. Now we acquired a company called free Now and a couple of other smaller companies overseas.
Speaker 8: Okay, what's happened since then?
Speaker 14: We're in the process of transforming ourself to a truly global company. Some of that is internal stuff, back of the house, multi currency, GDPR, all these sorts of things, but we're also beginning to introduce new functionality to customers. So I was just in Barcelona a couple of weeks ago. It's very lucky to be there. I get a chance to check out on our beta app, the ability to use the Lift app, not a new app, but the Lift app to hail local supply local taxicab in Barcelona. I did it four times, work flawlessly, So good because I don't have to do a different app. I already know the user interface and self ref and s one for now. The company we required, they're also growing now too because of some of the innovation of the technology we've been able to add to their stack. So it's look, our service levels are really good and I love that about our product, and now we can take that to a more global audience and hopefully continue to grow as a result.
Speaker 2: How we you know, it could be Europe Spain specifically, but how are those markets different to the United States. How does the consumer behave differently?
Speaker 8: You know, there are.
Speaker 14: Subtle differences, I mean very significant, I guess difference not subtle. Is the role of the taxicab in a lot of Europe is very significant.
Speaker 2: You know, this culturally entrenched in many economies in Europe as an example, very much so.
Speaker 14: And unlike maybe in a New York where people almost begrudgingly take a cab, for example, but in a place like.
Speaker 3: Spain, and certain you're going to have New york Is phoning into this program now.
Speaker 14: And I get that, and I understand well, and New Yorkers have opinions about their taxi cabs, right, But in Spain it tends to be almost a career. You know, you get in the car and it's probably someone who's been doing it for many years, maybe his father did it as well. Certainly in London everyone knows that knowledge.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's a sort of incredible thing. So that's a really significant difference.
Speaker 14: And for us, it favors us because free now is strong in taxis and the sort of double click there is because tax is going to be quite regulated.
Speaker 8: The relationship that.
Speaker 14: That company and now our company has with governments tends to be quite strong, which back to the av question, really matters a lot. Babe, is new technology and for a lot of governments it feels maybe a little bit intimidating, and we can help there. So it's a really nice sort of set of circumstances that tends to sort of favor our business.
Speaker 2: In markets outside of the United States, Uber is already there in some cases, Bolt, etc. How are you going to make lifts different from a technology perspective or just a product perspective.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so stay tuned on this.
Speaker 14: This is actually a very very live conversation we're having internally. I can use some of the examples of the US maybe and give you a little sentace.
Speaker 8: So in the US, we've really redoubled.
Speaker 14: Our innovation and you know, some of these products Women plus connect and I've just heard that we've given over one hundred and seventy five million rides between women and women in the US over the last couple of years.
Speaker 8: Lift Teens, Lift Silver. This is real innovation.
Speaker 14: We're hoping to bring some of that innovation to the European space for sure. And then there's also a lot of conversation around you know, let's say, the reputation of those guys in Europe isn't necessarily super. People don't necessarily love the company. I'll just say it that way, and we hope we bring some joy.
Speaker 8: To the conversation as well.
Speaker 2: Internally, where is your biggest focus on the technology side? What are the types of people you're trying to bring in and things you're building? Rebuilding, code, migration, literally anything else?
Speaker 14: For sure, so many interesting things. So I'll give you a couple of examples. Some of it's basic, some of it's more far reaching. Here's the basic thing.
Speaker 8: We now pick people up on average.
Speaker 14: So seventy five percent of the time we will pick you up either the same or faster than our big competitor.
Speaker 12: OK.
Speaker 8: Why is that kind of a big deal?
Speaker 14: Because our market share is smaller, So doing that reliably twenty four hours a day, sevent day a week because people are busy, they want to get to where they are. That's an awesome accomplishment. I'm hugely proud of our marketplace team for accomplishing that.
Speaker 8: And then bigger picture, I'm really.
Speaker 14: Excited about lifteen, one of our newest products that allows teens to get in and get constant messaging back to their parents to make sure the parents know that they're.
Speaker 8: Safe and sound.
Speaker 14: It's just a good I look at this, it's almost a generational thing.
Speaker 8: A new car now costs like eight hundred bucks.
Speaker 14: It's going to be indred bucks a month, fifty on release space, plus maintenance, plus gas, all these sorts of things. Lift is just a better answer for a lot of people. And so I'm sort of excited when I look two, three, four, five years out at some of the kind of you know, teen innovation now, because I think that'll help change a whole generation.
Speaker 2: Lift CEO David Rishad, thank you very much for coming in. Thanks for being back on the show. Coming up, sports bedding platform Draftings is up next in the earnings conversation, Drafting CEO and co founder Jason Robbins is joining us.
Speaker 3: This is spoobag tech.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 3: Ending the week with more tech earnings.
Speaker 2: Draft Kings reported disappointing second quarter earnings amidst growing competition from new prediction market players like Cawshi, But there's some post momentum post World Cup setting up a pretty strong back half. Stock up seven and a half percent, on track for its best day since June twenty sixth, Drafting CEO and co founder Jason Robbins joins us. It's interesting, right Initially that was the reaction disappointment second quarter earnings. There were favorable sports outcomes, there was promotional spending, and then this morning, everyone you know, was like, actually, you know what, the World Cup seems to have some tailwind with it.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that really what you're seeing.
Speaker 15: Is that after having all the time to digest and hear some of the context, people understand how strong a position DraftKings is in from a business perspective. Right now, our core business contract to do about a billion dollars and adjusted EVA dead this year. You're just a few years ago we were losing money in that business. Now it's a very strong cash flow generator for us, and we see really strong traction on predictions, enormous growth over the last month or two, and the best time of year is about to come with you know, the fall season.
Speaker 3: And NFL and everything that that brings.
Speaker 2: Okay, bear with me, but apparently people were betting on whether you would say Calshi on the earnings call. Prediction markets are a factor. Just react to that, Jason, please, Well, I you know, making trades on whether someone is going to say something in earning's call. Probably isn't something that I think should be out there in my opinion, but nevertheless I understand it is.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that though I didn't read it. I don't remember. I don't think I said that.
Speaker 15: No, hopefully not too many people took the positive side of that one.
Speaker 2: Jason, can you just explain the World Cup, how it manifested for draftking, the behavior of people that went to DraftKings during it, and whether there is some momentum carried out of it for the second half of this year.
Speaker 15: I mean, World Cup on pretty much every metric that we look at, exceeded our expectations.
Speaker 3: We acquired more customers.
Speaker 15: That was both true of predictions but also true of our online sports betting business. We were way better than we expected. From an acquisition standpoint, we ended up having much more efficient acquisition to our cacs, we're twenty five percent lower than we expected.
Speaker 3: Total engagement was big.
Speaker 15: We had a really strong increase in mups as we published in our report. Also saw a really strong post World Cup engagement. Probably the most exciting thing to me, because you know, a lot of people were probably thinking us included this World Cup audience. Are they going to stick around or is it sort of come, you know, bet on the World Cup, trade on the World Cup and done not.
Speaker 3: At all the case.
Speaker 15: July, we actually saw a twenty percent handle increase after the World Cup ended, which is an enormous number compared to where we were going into it.
Speaker 3: So you're absolutely right.
Speaker 15: I think a lot of momentum coming out of the World Cup right going into our most important time of year.
Speaker 3: So it couldn't have been time better. And Jason very quickly.
Speaker 2: Those were people that went to Draft Kings maybe for the first time in the World Cup, and then stayed.
Speaker 15: A lot of them were a lot of them were people that had played previously and activated to continue to play afterwards. Remember after NFL and sometimes a lot of customers go dormant.
Speaker 3: So these big moments are.
Speaker 15: Really great opportunities to get people to engage with the product again. And you never know if they're going to drop off or not we see that sometimes or if they're going to continue. And at least for the World Cup audience, it seems like both the new customers and the ones who reactivated are all continuing to play through July, and I think coming into August and September, when we have our most busy time of year, it's going to only continue.
Speaker 2: Jason Imprediction Markets, the field of players seem very focused on how they communicate with the under twenty one category. What is Draft Kings policy and approach basically to marketing to that demographic quickly?
Speaker 15: Well, I think this is an important distinction distinction between DraftKings and some of these other companies out there. We are not as you see some of them doing marketing that you can pay your rent money and marketing to college campuses on attorneys and things like that. We are focusing on marketing to adults and positioning this as an entertainment product, which I think is the right way to do it. And you know, listen, those are things that right now are getting a little bit of scrutiny, and I think eventually they'll get rained in, but that's not up to us. But I do think it's something that we feel like we are really you know, as a long time trusted brand that's been out there for a long time and plays the long game and really understands, you know, it's not as much as it might get you short term volumes. That's not what you want to be doing in marketing on college campuses and things like that.
Speaker 2: Draft Kings Ce Jason Robbins, thank you very much for your time on Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: Coming up.
Speaker 2: TikTok tweaked tis algorithm in twenty twenty one to stop users from being overwhelmed with harmful content, but it didn't roll out the safer version to everyone.
Speaker 3: We'll have that story next. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: The judge in New Mexico has ordered Meta to pay over five hundred million dollars and make changes to the way young people use its platforms following a landmark child safety case. The fine, which will be paid to a fund to address damages, is in addition to a three hundred and seventy five million dollar civil penalty from the case. Meta says it disagrees with the ruling and will appeal. Another story on the growing concerns about social media and mental health. In twenty twenty one, TikTok tweaked its algorithm to stop users from being overwhelmed with harmful content, but not every user got the update, according to an internal document, to see if the change might reduce the apps stickiness. The company kept ten percent of users, or about fifteen million people on the old version. That control group included sixteen year old Chase Nascar. TikTok's algorithm pushed him thousands of videos about suicide, sadness, and loneliness right up until he took his own life. This is a difficult story, but it's an important story that Bloomberg's Olivia Carvill reported for Bloomberg Business Week, and Olivia's with us. Now take us inside the reporting. I outlined the basics of the backstory, but it is both a technology story on the algorithm side and a policy decision by the company.
Speaker 6: That's right ed.
Speaker 8: I mean.
Speaker 7: To understand the story, you have to understand the timeline, and it really begins back in February of twenty twenty two, when a sixteen year old boy named Chase Neske died by suicide in Long Island. After that, his mum was trying to understand what had happened to Chase because because he had no mental health issues, he had never been.
Speaker 6: Diagnosed with depression.
Speaker 7: He had a big group of friends, he was an honors student at school, happy, friendly, bubbly, energetic, So she wanted to understand what had happened to Chase, and she went searching for clues on social media. When she gained access to his TikTok account, she was shocked at what she saw, which was a non stop stream of really sad videos, many of them encouraging suicide. So a year after Chase's death, I write a story for Business Week about his account and the algorithm was feeding him, and when I reached out to the company for comment, it resulted in this internal review that we're only just understanding now. This was an internal confidential document that outlines how the company essentially analyzed Chase's watch history in extraordinary detail what he saw in the weeks, days, and hours leading up to his death, and it confirmed from the company's perspective that he fell into a filter bubble. This is like an online echo chamber of sad content. And it tells us why that happened, which is because TikTok was running an experiment on filter bubble prevention strategies and it withheld a safety feature from fifteen million US users and Chase was included in that control group.
Speaker 2: Find this difficult, sorry, Olia distill be explicit on TikTok's response, in so far as like, what is it they've changed okay in response to the report, and officially what it is they gave you in response to the report.
Speaker 7: So within within this review, the company's own employees talk about how the control group was two big. It shouldn't have been set at ten percent. It should reduce the control group down to one percent of users and reduce the length of time they would be exposed to this kind of non stop content about problematic or harmful issues like extreme dieting or in Chase's case, suicide and depression. So they wanted to reduce not only the size of the control group, but also the length of exposure. So it went from half a year to a full year down to just seven days, and from ten percent of users or fifteen million people down to just one percent of users.
Speaker 6: And they made that change.
Speaker 7: Right around when they understood what had happened to Chase's account that is outlined in the document. In response to this story, the company did provide a written statement saying that they are deeply committed to the safety and well being of users, and their hearts break for any family that's experienced a tragic loss. They pointed to other safety features they've rolled out to try and protect the teenagers.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Olivia Carville, it is a must read, a difficult read in Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. Do not forget to check out the podcast recap all of the reporting and conversations we've had today, this Friday, but also throughout the week from San Francisco.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Tech.