Speaker 1: But we yea, no, no going back. But I want to go back. I want to go back to growing up in Compton because I'm from Liberty City. You know, it's a hood in Miami. He's from a hood in South Dakota.
Speaker 2: You can't even keep.
Speaker 1: From a hood in South Dakota. We'll talk about growing up in Compton, man, and and you know, obviously, you know we we have our ours is kind of like represented by neighborhoods. You're from Liberty City, from over Town, You're from Coconut Grove. You know what I'm saying. So it depends on what neighborhood you're from. But you know, it's a little different in Compton. I mean, I don't know how different it is, but tell me how different it is because you don't know what you see on TV and colors and different things like that.
Speaker 3: You know, our streets are controlled by gangs. You know, you're either on the blue side or the red side, or then you have the Mexicans they have their gangs and things like that.
Speaker 4: But I grew up in Compton.
Speaker 3: When I was younger, I went to Double Rock Baptist Church, so you know, really into my spiritual life. And yeah, yeah, we grew up there and then you know, my dad passed when I was eight, so uh, you know, you committed suicide. So uh, you know at eight years old, I was really confused. Earlier in my life, so my mom we moved around a lot. So I wasn't living in Carson. I was living in you know, Loan Beas, we were living in Orange County anything. My mom was trying to find ways to make our situation better. So you know, growing up, it was just a lot of moving around.
Speaker 4: Like you know, I understand that. Yeah, so nothing was really comfortable.
Speaker 1: And the weird basketball coming to player is that that that was your That was your your balance.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what was going on. That was your getaway from everything. Yeah, that's why I was my escape from life. Just I had no time to really think or like you know, cry about it or anything because I had to take care of my family.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: At eleven twelve years old, I was getting paid to play basketball.
Speaker 5: So that's what's I had one of the most epic mixtapes ever. Yeah, mixtape was fucking Banana, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: How did I miss this? I don't know that she was everywhere the mixday this, we put up some clips to that.
Speaker 2: What were you like when those mixtapes we're coming out though?
Speaker 3: For real, man, I was so getting Like the first time I saw you know, MySpace days, you know you see these Yeah, these guys they were falling around us with cameras and I was just like, dang, it's kind of like, you know, weird at first. But when they dropped that first mixtape on Ball's Life and who mixtape, Man, that ship, that ship took over.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like every week I was like, yo, you see that, like my have my mixtape ready.
Speaker 4: So but that was the way to get us.
Speaker 1: I'm watching that ship when I leave. I gotta see it now. I gotta see it now. I gotta see it.
Speaker 2: I want.
Speaker 5: I want to say though, because with all that you said, you couldn't get the grades to get the Arizona.
Speaker 2: They couldn't get you the monfucker Arizona for real.
Speaker 4: Well, well, well a lot of a lot of the reason.
Speaker 3: What was you know, Luke Olsen he retired at the time, so that was really changing my mom on mine. Joe Betis was telling me he wasn't going to come back, and then I didn't really know, Kevin O'Neill like that.
Speaker 4: So I was already on the fence of it a little bit and.
Speaker 3: Then you yeah, I was just like all right, whatever, like we'll figure something else out.
Speaker 5: Went tend to more hockey. Yeah, So how long did you stay in roll? How many games you play over there? I played the whole season season, I played the whole I played.
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 3: The good thing about it, like having Sonny behind me. I was in the euro League, so a lot of those games were set.
Speaker 4: Up for me to be able to showcase.
Speaker 3: So I played against Travis Best, I played against Aerl Boykins. I also played against Ricky Rubio out there too, which was a highlighted game. So I got those games in that I needed.
Speaker 1: So you don't understand because you never had to go this route. So let me explain to you how it goes. No, Listen, you have you have a team, you play for your city, but euro League is when you play against other teams from other countries and o, and then they all have a winner. You're the winner of euro League. So that's not necessarily in your city. That's kind of euro euro League. So I just you didn't have to You didn't have to go that route. Killer was just explained it to the people at home and the people that never had to deal with that.
Speaker 4: Yo, Yo, why do you think more kids don't take that route?
Speaker 1: That's a great question, honestly, Honestly, to be honest, like you was different, bro, should I told you I struggled making that decision as a grown man. You know what I'm saying, as a twenty one, twenty two old man, I struggled to say, yes, I'm gonna go to Europe for a year and come back and chase my dreams. So for you to be able to do that as a teenager, regardless of kiss on the cheek from Sunny, that shit still was like you got to get yourself some credit for that because that you was making grown man decisions at a young age.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what though, I think I think it was heading that direction. Mellow went right, Yeah, it started, it started heading that direction. But then but then, like everything else in life, everyone combats it. Right, Okay, that's happening. Okay, we're gonna start, We're gonna start precking G League, you know, G League, Knight, and then college is like wait a second, hold the fuck up, that's you're gonna start taking Okay, now we're gonna start paying them. So everything had a domino fact. What you did was a domino effect. It was like it was starting to go that direction again. People were like, oh shit, he did it, he went ten, it worked out great for him, he got a shoot deal early, he got the ship done, blah blah. All that stuff started going to a transition. But just like aga, there's there's cause and effect. Right, Oh shit, we ain't gonna let that happen. So we're gonna start g league knight, We're gonna start paying motherfuckers in college n il.
Speaker 2: It's just you started the chain of reactions.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't let you answer that question? Just spoken like a true agent. I should have let you answer that question. Your answer was way better than mine. Yeah, this is an agent question, that's what was.
Speaker 5: You started it like, and I'm telling you, man, I touched on before, but it was a real gangster move because that's an unknown for us, Like now people do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, but you did that.
Speaker 1: It was like, i't like, they don't understand this. This generation is I don't know if they understand the history of basketball. So you might not never get your flowers, but we can give your flowers. You started something, you feel started something, and that took. That took a lot as a young man, so I'm happy it worked out. Show congratulations.
Speaker 2: So tenth pick talk about draft night, Man.
Speaker 3: Draft night was crazy because you know, I was talking a lot of ship, you know, like during the job, you know, just off the fact that you know, I was a little mad because I wasn't playing.
Speaker 4: I was watching a lot of my peers, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Know have high lights of college, so a lot of a lot of overseas too. I was thinking, like, man, did I make the wrong decision?
Speaker 4: Like damn? Like did I really? Like?
Speaker 3: But when I got to them workouts and I was kicking everybody ass and stuff, and saw how advanced I was.
Speaker 4: You know, that's why I ended up tenth.
Speaker 3: I would have went a little earlier if I didnt say what I said about Rubio, But you know.
Speaker 4: I just couldn't help it.
Speaker 1: I was what you saying, Oh no, I was just saying I was.
Speaker 3: I basically said like I was mad because he wasn't working out, and I was like, well, why doesn't he have to work out and we have to all compete and stuff? Like so I was just like, you know, and I was like, well, if he's that good, you know, I was just saying stuff like no, I mean you know, but it.
Speaker 1: Was it was I feel you though, Yeah, especially when you were a young kid and you're looking for an opportunity to prove yourself, like relationship up.
Speaker 3: I think the video, I think we was working out with the Kings and me. You can see Johnny Flynn, Johnny Flynn just looking at me like bro, like he like bro.
Speaker 4: He put his head down.
Speaker 2: So that was that draft.
Speaker 5: That was Rubio because like like a gang of guards went top ten then like a gang of guards, right, yeah, we had Minnesota.
Speaker 2: I take I got traded that year sold because I got traded.
Speaker 4: That was end up being in Minnesota too. Yeah, Johnny Flinn and Rubio.
Speaker 1: End up being in Minnesota. I remember that. That was crazy.
Speaker 4: Tyreek Evans some guards.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah his spot, Yeah, you get his spot.
Speaker 5: Like when you get to the NBA, then everyone talks about the transition. So to me and you can answer this because you went through it, I feel like you'd have been even more prepared for the NBA transition into college kid.
Speaker 2: Was that is that true?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, Yeah, for sure. Europe. Europe definitely helped out a lot.
Speaker 3: And also being at ok Kill though, like you know, people don't like I was away for like I left Amingus in the tenth grade and I went to Okill for my junior and senior year, so I was away from home already, so being so actually actually being doing the like going to Europe was actually easier for me because it's like we'll already been away from home, so it's nothing, you know, I could just keep going.
Speaker 5: That's crazy you say that because I coached in college basketball for two seasons, and anytime I picked a kid who recruited a kid or a kid came that was at like Mount verd IMG one of the pre prep schools. They were six months or a year further along than any high school kid because the normal ship you.
Speaker 2: Do day to day, they'd already had it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't go to class. We don't go to class, play basketball and go to sleep. What woman, I'm telling the truth?
Speaker 2: Killer?
Speaker 4: God damn which your woman to lie?
Speaker 2: It's okay, Okill, Okill. How was that? Because I was middle nowhere?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okaill was great for me. I'm a sixteen year old kid, at the time I'm getting whatever I want, you know, all the hype and everything, but that was the time for me where I need to be alone, you know, learn how to wash my own clothes, learn how to you know, you know, dressing in uniform, getting up on your own, like getting to the gym. I used to go to the gym every morning at five am, just because of access it again, so yeah, I used to go to the gym. I used to go to the gym every morning at five at need to hear this five to six every morning because I was hungry, and you know, I knew this was my opportunity. This is the only way I was gonna make it out, you know, like that's the only way I was able to feed my family. So yeah, man, those two years of okill.
Speaker 1: I say this all the time life. I say this all the time. Bro, if you want something bad enough in life, you'll figure out and do what you have to do to get it, whether it be going to Oak Hill, whether it be going to Europe, whether it be getting up five are. If you want something bad enough in life, you'll do what you had to do to get it.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: You know, you have to leave people behind too. Yeah, when you're getting it. I think that's the you know that. That was one of the key things to my life. A lot of off off the court things I was bott on with.
Speaker 4: I think we can relate. We can relate.
Speaker 1: Growing up in Miami and playing professional sports in the city of Miami. Dog was probably the hardest thing that I ever had to do, but it was the most rewarding and beneficial thing. The evolution the person you see right here sitting in front of you. I would say three sixty, but that I mean I turned around to be the same motherfucker. So it's a one eighty dog like you know what I'm saying, Like being able to say no, being able to separate yourself from certain people in certain things. I got so many homeboys that passed away, you know what I'm saying. While I was playing professional basketball, and there was a time where I used to be out the streets hanging out. You know what I'm saying. I ain't doing nothing crazy. I'm a basketball player, but I'm in the same situation. You know how they go, you with somebody and something pop up. You just with them, you know what I'm saying. So obviously for me, I had to get to the point where I was able to separate myself from people lead, some people behind, and some of you brain wish you you know what I'm saying. Some of you brain wishes something good for your mental health. Some people really got dreams and goes. And if you can help people out with your platform, then you do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest key for me when I when I tore my achilles after that was getting closer back with God spiritually. And I think, uh, you know, like outside of like outside of the hoop world, people don't really know how much we go through man life like mentally.
Speaker 1: Them dark knights. Nobody will talk about them dark knights, dark.
Speaker 3: Them, them crazy dark knights to where your mind is just wondering and you know you're trying to figure it out. And uh, the best thing for me was me getting back with my Lord and behavior.
Speaker 4: Ain't nothing better than that.
Speaker 3: That's that's why I was able to get this tough crowd thing going.
Speaker 5: And today's episode is proudly brought to you by our guys At and Morgan. It's America's largest personal injury law firm. They started out here in Florida thirty years ago and now are helping.
Speaker 2: People across all fifty states.
Speaker 5: Morgan and Morgan is always for the people and have your back when it comes to fighting to get you full and fair compensation.
Speaker 2: As athletes, we have faced our fair share of injuries.
Speaker 5: That's why we know how difficult it is to get back out there after an injury. The team and the support behind you matter, and submitting an injury claim with Morgan and Morgan is free and easy. It just takes eight clicks or less from the comfort of your own couch to get started. If you're ever injured, you can check out Morgan and Morgan.
Speaker 2: Their fee is free and less. They win.
Speaker 5: For more information, go to for Thepeople dot com, Slash the ogs or dial pound law. That's pound five to nine from your cell phone. That's for the people dot com. Slash the ogs or pound law pound five to nine from your cell phone. This, my friends, is a paid advertisement.
Speaker 1: Who's going big this NBA season. You are with all new ways to get in on the action with my partners at Draft Kings Sports Book.
Speaker 5: From Monster Slams to dish the rock and to cleaning the glass, get behind your favorite players and the prop bets you can make on DraftKings, the home of the NBA player props.
Speaker 1: Here's something special for all you first time was out there new Draft King customers bet five dollars to get one to fifty in bonus.
Speaker 5: Best instant love the thrill of live betting. DraftKings has got you covered. Bet live on in progress games right as they happen, making watching the game that much more exciting. If sports betting is not yet available in your state, don't worry.
Speaker 2: You can still.
Speaker 5: Join in on all the fun with DraftKings Daily Fantasy and have a shot to win cash prizes.
Speaker 1: Take it to the rack with Draft Kings sports Book. Download the DraftKings app now and sign up using code ogs. The crown is yours.
Speaker 5: That's promo code OG's only at DraftKings Sportsbook