Speaker 1: Microsoft on Veil's new AI powered PCs with a controversial new feature that remembers everything you do on your screen. The app that's like Airbnb but for your luggage. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on? I'm Rich Tomiro and this is Rich on Tech, the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology.
Speaker 2: I believe that.
Speaker 1: Tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. My goal is to make this the most helpful thing you listen to all weekend.
Speaker 2: Long.
Speaker 1: Phone lines are open at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv and hit contact.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I hope you're having a meaningful Memorial Day weekend. We've got some great guests on on the live show this week. Ben Bheran CEO and principal analyst at Creative Strategies, is going to talk about Microsoft's new Copilot plus PCs and the Microsoft Build Conference. Later in the show, we've got Tim Stevens, freelance automotive journalist He's going to talk about his recent article all about ev myths and Know Me. AI CEO Alex Cardinell is going to talk about the growth of AI companions and AI chatbots as friends and yes, even lovers. This week was a big event for Microsoft up in Seattle, so of course I headed that way.
Speaker 2: Two events.
Speaker 1: Actually, one was for their new computers and one was for their developers called Microsoft Build. I'd never been to Microsoft Build, but I had been to the campus before. So it's up in Redmond, just outside of Seattle. Beautiful, beautiful place in Pacific Northwest. When I arrived, I did have some extra time on a Sunday afternoon, so I went to Pike Place, which I'm sure you've seen the pictures. It's a place where they throw the fish and all that good stuff. But here's what I love. I was able to take public transit right from the airport right to downtown. They've got a little i don't know, like a light rail kind of train.
Speaker 2: Thing.
Speaker 1: I love when I get to a city and I can just take public transit as much as possible, and I was able to do that.
Speaker 2: So what I visit.
Speaker 1: I visited Bubblegum Alley, the original Starbucks, which still had a crazy long line outside.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 1: Saw the throwing fish and then had some fish in some chowder, so kind of a little yeah, you gotta do that when you're up there. I left my luggage with a store up there. It was interesting. So I was wondering because that, you know, if your hotel, like my hotel was nowhere near Pike Place. So I had like a couple hours to burn, but I had all this luggage with me, so I was like, what do I do with this? I don't want to drag it around. So I was like, there must be an app, and so I searched up online. I found an app called Bounce, and it's kind of like an Airbnb, but for your luggage. So you go on the app, you find a location near you, and then it doesn't reveal the location until you pay. But it was like twenty bucks for a couple hours, and once you pay that they tell you where the location is. You walk over there and you leave your luggage with them. It was like a check in checkout process, kind of like leaving it at a hotel, but it could be anywhere, could be a hotel, could be a store. In this case, it was a store and it was great. It worked just as planned. It was a pretty incredible thing. So if you're traveling and you need to leave your luggage somewhere, check out Bounce. There is another alternative called a luggage Hero. I have not tested it, but it does something similar.
Speaker 2: Also.
Speaker 1: By the way, took a bus to my hotel. Afterwards, I ended up missing the stop. So I was so engrossed and listening to like a book on my phone that I missed the stop and I ended up walking like two miles to my hotel.
Speaker 2: But it was fine.
Speaker 1: It was so beautiful up there, so why was I up there? First event Monday morning it was called Microsoft Copilot plus PCs. That's what they unveiled. This is a new category of computers that are sort of built for the AI age. So these are computers with sixteen gigabytes of RAM standard like, that's the minimum to qualify, plus two hundred and fifty six gigabytes of storage, and then forty tops. NPU tops is trillions operations per second, so the computer has to have a minimum of those specs. Now, an NPU is a neural processing unit. All computers I'm sure, you've heard of a CPU that's kind of the main computing area. Then you've got a GPU which handles graphics. NPU Neural is now for AI, so this can handle a lot of AI operations on the computer. They also unveil two new computers in their lineup, the Surface Laptop and the Surface Pro. The Surface Laptop is you know, their standard laptop, and then the Surface Pro, of course is the tablet slash laptop. So it's got a detachable keyboard that's an optional accessory. Both of these computers start at nine hundred and ninety nine dollars. They're available on June eighteenth. I got to play with them, and you know, every time I play with one of these Surface pros, I'm always like, this is what I want. I want a tablet that doubles as a real computer because you get the full Windows you know, operating system on there, but you also get a tablet.
Speaker 2: So it's just such a cool way of doing things.
Speaker 1: And I remember when Microsoft came to the TV studio many many years ago. Panos Pine was the guy who kind of came up with this whole thing, and he was in the studio and he showed me this and I was like, what, how is this possible? Windows running on a tablet? What with a detachable keyboard. The interesting thing about these computers is they have snap Dragon processors inside. So I'm sure you've heard Intel inside for so many years. These are a Qualcomm San Diego company, this Qualcom Snapdragon processor. Microsoft said they had the technology first to enable this, and compared to MacBooks, they say these are going to be their fastest and best battery life. Yes, they made a lot of comparisons to the MacBooks, specifically the MacBook Air, which some people are challenging because they said, well, why didn't they compare it to the MacBook Pro. But the reality is these are more like a MacBook Air from what Microsoft is doing. And again, June eighteenth is when they go on sale. Now there are some new AI features built into all of these Copilot plus PCs.
Speaker 2: They're not just going to be from Microsoft.
Speaker 1: They also had them there from Acer and Lenovo and Asus and Samsung. But again they have to have those basic specs to qualify. But you're going to be hearing a lot about AI computers and specifically these Copilot Plus PCs, so now you know what they are. They also have this new feature called live captions. This can on device convert language into forty different languages, so spoken words can be converted. So they showed an example of a I guess it was a Microsoft Teams meeting, but everyone was speaking a different language and the computer was just translating it in real time. That was amazing. Then they showed a cool demo. This was Oh, it's just so cool. They showed someone playing Minecraft, another Microsoft property, but they were.
Speaker 2: Playing it with the help of AI.
Speaker 1: So they had instead of a friend playing with them, they had an AI voice and by the way, the smartest AI in the world because it knew how to do everything in the game. So you're playing the video game and you're saying, hey, how do I do this? How do I do that? And the AI is watching the video in real time, processing that information and giving you the information you need. So now I can actually play video games with my kids alongside them because I have a little AI boost. Now, the most controversial feature is called recall. This takes a snapshot of everything you do on your computer. Yes, a screenshot of everything you do every couple of seconds, so you can search for anything that you did on your computer later think about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now they say that this happens on device, nothing is sent to the cloud. But there are a lot of privacy concerns associated with this because think about everything that you do on your computer, every word that's on there, every image that's on there, everything you look at and deal with, every file, every jpeg, every PowerPoint presentation, when you log into your bank account, it's all on your screen, the account numbers, the passwords whatever. Hopefully the passwords are asterisk doubt, but if you go to a document that has your passwords written in them, this would capture that. Now it is amazing for finding stuff. It is very fast, it is very easy, and they say that people spend about an hour a day at work just looking for stuff that they've done on their computer in the past that they can't find, and so this should make that easier. But obviously it is very controversial. It is turned on by default, and it does not record things like if you're in a private browsing session. You can exclude certain apps altogether, but there are some limitations on that, and people are going to quite frankly, forget that this is enabled on their computer. And you can think of the implications if someone gets this computer, or if someone's screen sharing this computer and they go ahead and search inside this recall, there could be some very sensitive information on there. You can turn it off if you want, but again it is going to be turned on by default on these new Windows Copilot plus PCs. This is not a feature that's coming to previous computers. This is only moving forward with Windows now. By the way, there is an app on the Mac called rewind Ai, So of course I went home and had to install that. So I've had it on my computer now for the past couple of days, and it's just kind of very similar. In fact, it can even record audio too, so if you have a Zoom meeting, it will record all the audio of your Zoom meeting. So this is what AI enables, enables, a limitless capture of everything. I also attended Microsoft Build while I was up there in Seattle. Maltman, CEO of Open Ai, came up on stage Big Surprise. His main takeaway he encouraged developers and startups to leverage the current AI boom, comparing it to past tech revolutions like mobile and internet. All right, coming up on today's show, Google is having some issues implementing its new AI search overviews. But first it is your turn. Let's get some of your calls in at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. My name is rich d'miro and you are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology on a Memorial Day weekend. The website for the show richon Tech dot tv coming up soon, we'll have Ben bheran CEO and principal analyst at Creative Strategies, to talk more about the Microsoft Copilot Plus PCs we just talked about. Phone number eight eight eight Rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you want a link to something I mentioned on the show, go to the website and tap the light bulb that will bring you to the direct links. And if you want to play with something kind of fun, I've been building a rich on Tech GPT, so this is programmed with all of the transcripts of this radio show, so you can search for something that I've mentioned on the show. I think it works for anyone using chat GBT, so check it out. It's on the website. Rich on tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Bill in Julian. Bill, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 4: Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Rich?
Speaker 2: I can hear you. Great, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 3: I'm a long time listener, first time caller, and I have the honor of being the least technical person that's ever called your show.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, okay, well I'm going to mark you down for that. Okay.
Speaker 3: I still have a car that has a factory option record player in it. I'm seventy five years old, and what I'm looking for is a simple color printer. Now. The only problem is the only thing I have here up in the mountains is a Samsung Android phone. I don't have a computer with the Internet with Wi Fi, so I need a hook to the printer somehow just from my phone. Is that possible?
Speaker 1: Yes, there is a feature called Wi Fi Direct on some of these printers, and so I would recommend looking for a printer that supports Wi Fi Direct. And what you'll do is your printer will will admit a Wi Fi signal and then your phone will connect to that Wi Fi signal and once it's connected in LinkedIn. You can send whatever you need over to that printer. So I know that some of the hps do that. You know, if you can go to a costco nearby, I always think they have a one or two good printers.
Speaker 2: I bought mine there. I've got the HP Office Jet Pro.
Speaker 1: I think i've last year's model looks like the current I'm looking at wirecutter here. Current popular model is the ninety fifteen E. That's highly rated. You can do a laser printer if you just want something that's going to be much more expensive. You're looking at spending around two hundred. So there are other printers. You can get a printer for a lot cheaper. I've seen them for like, you know, one hundred bucks at Best Buy something like that. But just remember before you buy the printer to look at the price of the ink, because that is where they get you. This is a razor blade model. The razor blade is very expensive. The handle is very cheap. So but that's what you want to look for. You want to look for that Wi Fi direct connectivity, and that should be the easiest way to do that. And and just that's pretty much all you need. So thanks for the.
Speaker 2: Call, Bill, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: We got we're actually we're fact checking the record player in the car and Kim just sent me a screenshot and I don't know if this is real. Did they used to have record players as an option? And Google's AI overview says, yes, record players were an option in cars in the nineteen fifties and nineteen sixties, But that's an AI overview, so that could be wrong because we're going to talk about how Google's having some trouble with that. I don't know, because I had a CD player in my car and that thing would skip. Can you imagine a record player that would be like you couldn't Maybe they had smoother roads back then. Thanks for the call, Bill, appreciate it. Let's go to Rick in Rick and Pasadena. Rick, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Hey, Rich, never question AI. If they told you what, it's got to be true. But be that as it may. A dissatisfied cell phone customer and I'm sure I'm the only guy who' ever had a problem with his cell phone provider. And my problem is six years ago, T Mobile offered a plan called fifty five plus and the come on was sign up for this plan. We'll give you two lines of phone for sixty bucks a month, and that's unlimited talk, text and data, including taxes and fees sixty bucks a month. And the icing on a cake is this rate is guaranteed for life. It's a price a lot, guaranteed for life. They said, we can't change the rate, only you can. It sound it too good to be true. I signed on anyway, kind of was convinced it was too good to be true when a couple months later they bumped the price on the plan to seventy not for me the grandfathered me in, but for new customers with seventy, So that affirmed in me I had a good deal. Now, in the years since, I've seen better deals. My own ISP offered me a free phone for a year at zero cost if i'd sign on with them. So if I took those two lines and went to my ISP, I could have saved seven hundred and twenty and last year. But I knew they were going to bump that up later, so I wanted to stick with T Mobile with locked for life. But guess what, Yeah, this week they texted me. It's not locked for life. They're saying next month it's going to go up by five bucks per line. And I called their customer service and they said, we're sorry, and I said this was guaranteed for life. They said, we know, but prices go up. I go, yeah, that's why I signed on. I knew prices were going to go up. I didn't want to be subject to that. And they said, basically lovingly, you're out of luck. So I was curious if you had any idea of what I could do to push back.
Speaker 1: Well, so you're not the only one this rate hike. I had it in my plans to talk about it this week. Yeah, they're increasing lines by five dollars per month, and then connected devices by two dollars. The funny thing is T Mobile is being very not very forthcoming about which lines are affected, because they did have, you know, over the years, especially as they were the on carrier, they had so many deals and so many promotions and so many like you know, hey, we're never going to raise these rates. But of course, here's how I think they're getting around it. They're not raising the price of the plan. They're adding a five dollars fee every month, and I think that's how they're getting around it. My best advice is to shop around, look at some NV and o's. I know T Mobile owns Mike Mobile, but they've got some pretty good prices. But I'll talk more about this a little bit. I got a head to break, but coming up, we're going to talk more about the Microsoft Copilot plus PCs.
Speaker 2: This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech.
Speaker 1: Rich Demiro here in Seattle, Washington, site of Microsoft Build. Joining me now is Ben Baheran. He is a technology industry analyst and CEO of Creative Strategies. Ben, thanks for joining me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 2: So let's talk Microsoft.
Speaker 1: Obviously, it is an all out AI war right now. How are they fending for themselves?
Speaker 5: I think they're very well positioned.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you think of all of the platforms that are out there right, there's three as a whole. They get a consumer platform, you got Microsoft, Android, and Apple. And while Android continues to have some features, right, what you use Aion with your mobile phone we don't know yet, but there's clearly tons of productivity use cases. It seems like the business world, the enterprise world, is ready for more AI adoption to bring people more productivity. So it seems like Windows is just in a really great spot, and so because of that, they're they're going to be super competitive. And then now you look at what's going on a build from features coming to Windows with Copilot PCs, and then again all of the developer tools they're bringing both to Windows and in the cloud side to just create this environment for people to rate next generation apps for.
Speaker 1: So Microsoft's in an interesting position because they are very enterprise, very business oriented, but they also have a very good consumer side of their business as well.
Speaker 5: Is that pretty unique?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean I think their scale is you know, obviously huge in the enterprise. When you look at Windows, right, they use numbers today like a billion Windows PCs. I mean I think the Windows install base of PCs is larger than that. It might be one one point three one point four billion devices.
Speaker 5: That's a lot of devices.
Speaker 6: And that's not just all enterprise, right, maybe sixty percent of that is cannsumers all over the world, so India, China, you know, even developed developing parts of the world. So to have a good consumer basis is relevant, and they straddle that fence at scale probably more than most people, right. I think if we were talking about Apple we'd say, well, they largely scale in consumer, not in enterprise, whereas Microsoft scales both of those those categories.
Speaker 1: So I mentioned we're here at Microsoft Build, so explain what Microsoft Build is all about.
Speaker 7: Sure.
Speaker 6: So Build, which is actually a really great name for the conference of what it is is designed to talk about the tools and share new tools for developers to build new things on Windows and or in their apps in the cloud. So it's a developer event and very very similarly if you follow apples developer events, like you know worldwide developer conferences, it's like that they want to release new tools, new APIs that let developers take advantage of those any hardware that they're bringing right at the server or the client level, and then write a whole host of new software.
Speaker 1: And today they had Open AI CEO Sam Altman on stage. It was kind of a surprise. What did you make of what he said?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think Sam's a good visionary just to talk about the category of AI. A lot of questions come up right around responsible AI, which I think Microsoft's continuing to try to be a leader in. They don't want these things going off the rails and leading giving people misinformation or teaching people things that's you know.
Speaker 5: Not actually correct.
Speaker 6: So they're trying to have a really solid, responsible AAI story, and so you kind of see some of those questions come in about as those models get bigger, as they get smarter, as these as our computers get to know you more, all this needs to happen in a responsible way and in a way that adds value to humans and their computing devices. So the conversation spans sort of those things. But obviously he you know, he wants to talk about the big shiny we're moving to an era where artificial tellgent gets even smarter and knows you even more, and so Microsoft tries to balance that with you know, we want to do this responsibly and make sure that we bring it to people in a responsible way.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about these computers.
Speaker 1: Microsoft unveiled a new category they are calling copilot plus PCs.
Speaker 2: How do you explain what that is? Sure?
Speaker 6: So, so what makes this sort of pivot point unique is this is the first time, I mean in recent memory, if not in a really forever that you sort of had a capability in Windows that you can't get on old machines. You need an entirely new class of hardware to get all these new AI experiences. One of the features called Recall, which just helps you basically have.
Speaker 5: A much more.
Speaker 6: Rich way to find information on your on your devices. You know, you lost a file and you only remembered part of the name, and or you saw something on you know, Amazon three days ago, a red you know shoes, and you can just say I was looking at red shoes a couple of days ago.
Speaker 5: Help me find It'll bring that up right. So it has this memory right, that's very well, but that.
Speaker 6: Requires a ton of new compute and so this is the first time that this new category of PCs has come out where you really need all this new processing power that's coming from Qualcomm in this first product Excellent and Xcelle Plus, and then we're coming from Intel and a m D at the end of at the end of the year. So there's going to be a very big distinction between new classes of capabilities and old and they're hoping that people buy into this new category of PC and are willing to use all these new features and understand all the performance needs that comes with it.
Speaker 1: So do you think it's a way to convince people to buy a new computer or is there something greater happening here?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think they're trying to set themselves up for really the AI era in terms of hardware. You know, I don't expect this to you know, somebody bought a computer three years ago and goes, I need that for the new one. But there are a lot of computers out there that are five six years old and people who've just been like, just been waiting, you know, I don't I don't need to make the jump.
Speaker 5: And hopefully this is attractive to them.
Speaker 6: As enough new features that looks interesting enough that'll kind of move some of that lagging base over who have been delaying those refreshes into a into into new computers. And then obviously there's an enterprise side of this, right, Enterprise cycles pretty straightforward in terms of a three to four year cadence, and for them, right they're already making investments in AI, in the infrastructure and for their employees. These things slot into that for them to future prove future products for and then start to deploy some of their AI strategies to improve productivity of their employees.
Speaker 1: Now, I found it pretty interesting that these computers, at least the Microsoft Surface Laptop and the surface pro feature. A Qualcomm snap Dragon processor, not an Intel processor. Why do you think they went with Qualcom, who's not necessarily known for making desktop processors.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so there's a number of these reasons.
Speaker 6: And Qualcom has two skews, so it's the ex Elite and then X plus.
Speaker 5: The main thing that.
Speaker 6: Microsoft was sort of communicating yesterday was to do all these wonderful AI features. It requires and this number is not going to make a ton of sense to maybe anybody listening, but it requires forty tops, which is trillions of operations per second and dedicated to this new blocked the NPU. So you had CPUs before, people probably familiar with that. You get a GPU, people, and now these things come with NPUs, so.
Speaker 1: CPU central processing you it's kind of like the heart of it GPU graphics. Now NPU is neural, which is more like what AI. Yeah, it's AI.
Speaker 6: It's a different set of cores and it's just designed to run these very sophisticated AI applicant applications. So many of the features that you see, really if anybody shows shows AI is taking advantage of these neural processing you know units this block on the SFC and just to do it. Microsoft needed to have what they're saying, right is more than forty tops, and Qualtcum is the only product out there that has forty NPU tops capable of handling these AI workloads.
Speaker 5: So they made the point.
Speaker 6: Intel and a m D will have it eventually, but Qualcomm had that capability today and then and then the other benefit that Qualtcom has is the battery life on these machines is just so much more significant than what existed on competitive platforms. And obviously that's been a big story for max. Right, you just get really good battery life on They also run ARM, which is what Qualcomm does, so it's going to put the position itself very well against Apple as well. And Microsoft knew that, and they knew that Qualcom being on ARM put them in a really good spot to compete.
Speaker 1: And I guess this is sort of a dumb question, but I think it's what a lot of people are going to be wondering. So if I get an AIPC, is it gonna make chat GPT faster on my computer?
Speaker 2: Or is that not really what we're talking about here?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not. I think that's not the part of it. I think it's new experiences. Right when you look at things like recall Microsoft to feature you can't that's not even chat gbt like you can't do that. That's just being able to use your computer in a natural way to help you find objects, documents, things you might have forgotten about right three days ago, calendar. So those are just unique features. That's not chat gbt R. And I think the world is bigger than chat gbt. There's a whole lot of new features coming. The point is all of this is going to make using your computer easier for you and help make you more productive or get more done. And that's just that's what computers exist for. And so that that step function forward is exciting.
Speaker 1: And a note about the recall privacy wise, are people ready to have an entire record of everything they do on their computer at all times?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think that, But there's privacy levers. You can tune, right, you can turn this off, you can hide certain websites. So I do think that there's going to take a little bit of learning curve for that. But the fact that you are in control of that privacy means that you know it's really up to you, right, you can use it or not use it. Enterprises again can turn it off, but when shifts like this happen, we sort of just have to adapt and get used to it. And that's where I think we're at right now and just sort of step one just understanding what these things can do for us.
Speaker 3: Ben.
Speaker 2: How can folks follow you online?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so easiest way is on is on Twitter. I don't call it X, but it's Twitter. Ben at Ben behern is my is my Twitter, and then Creative Strategies is the website where we post a lot of our research and analysis.
Speaker 2: To Ben, thanks so much for joining me here in Seattle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for having me anytime.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to those phone lines.
Speaker 1: Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero zero one.
Speaker 8: You are listening to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you on this Memorial Day weekend at Triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website is rich on Tech dot tv. Once you're there, you can sign up for my newsletter. You can also follow me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. Also, I'm gonna have some details. We've got a friend of a show, friend of the show, Matt Swider, He's been a guest.
Speaker 2: He runs the shortcut dot com.
Speaker 1: He's got a cool deal where he's given away these Samsung Smart Tag twos for a buck instead of the usual thirty dollars. So I got mine, Bobo's getting his. I'll give you details on how to get that deal in just a moment, but first let's go to Michelle.
Speaker 2: Michelle in Long Beach. You are on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Hi. Rich.
Speaker 10: One of your previous callers said he was the least technical people.
Speaker 1: Okay, you are you challenging that. You're challenging Bill and Julian to be the least technical person.
Speaker 10: Oh, by the way, record players were in cars.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I meant to hold on. Let me read that. So Stan Word wrote to me. He said they came out in nineteen fifty seven Chrysler products. They were the first ones to offer a phonograph.
Speaker 2: It's a JC Whitney forty five record player. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm still suspect of this because I can't imagine how badly these things skipped in cars.
Speaker 10: But oh much to suck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they still offered.
Speaker 1: It, but I guess they didn't know what they didn't have. They didn't know that we'd have MP three's and CDs and all.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Now we have streaming and satellite and radio. I mean, there's just so many things. But how can I help you? Michelle?
Speaker 10: Okay? On my Apple phone, every time I try to act add an app, even though it's a free app, even it says payment not complete. And I've added, you know, credit cards because in the Apple Pay I had some credit cards that had expired, so I deleted those and added the current ones. It still won't let me add an app.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, what's going on?
Speaker 1: So you know, you do have to if there's any sort of issue with your payment information, they're not going to let you download even a free app, and so that's probably what's happening here.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: Apple Pay is separate from your payment for the app store, so that might be the issue. So you need to go into your Apple ID and check what's going on with the payment there. So the way to access that is to go into settings on your iPhone, tap your name up at the top where it says Apple ID, and then it says payment and shipping. So if your card has expired, if they need to refresh the security code or something is going on. They're not going to let you download even a free app, and so that's where you need to go. And so if you go into your payment, it will ask for your face ID or your thumb print depending on how your phone is set up. And if you look at payment methods, that's what you're looking at, So make sure that's up to date. If you don't have a payment method there, that could be the problem. There are multiple payment methods that you can add, Like you can add like a I believe, you can add a gift card and things like that. There's a lot of ways you can add a payment method that's not just a credit card. But that's what I would do is check there and see what's going on with your payment method there. If you think everything is fine and on the up and up, then I would delete that payment method. Inside Again, we're inside the settings, not Apple Pay. Those are two different things. And so Apple pay handles payments at a store, at a register, online payments when you see that Apple Pay button come up on a website when you're checking out, But the Apple Payment is just kind of think of that as a payment for Apple itself. So when you're buying an app from Apple, or you're doing some sort of subscription through the App Store, that's all through your actual Apple ID. So I would go in there, check to make sure everything is on the up and up, and then try it again. So restart your phone once that's all done and see if it works. If not, there could be something bigger at play here. But I think that's probably going to fix it. I know that I've run into this issue a couple of times, and it turns out sometimes when you add a device or you change something, you just have to reauthorize that payment method. And you know, Apple wants their money. They're not going to let you slide even though it's a free app. They want to on the back end. Just make sure if you do an in app purchase that you're still going to be good for that money. So, Michelle, thank you for the designation as the least techiest person. I will note that in your file and put you right there in alphabetical order next to Bill, and we'll see if anyone else can defeate that. But that's the beauty of this show. That is the entire point of the show. This is a show for everyone. There are no stupid questions. There are only stupid answers from me, and that's it. So you can ask away. And I fully expect people listening to come from all different kind of tech backgrounds. Some people are very techy and they like to listen to me to see if I get something wrong. And they sit there and they just you know, in their evil layer and they're just like, hahaha.
Speaker 2: Rich doesn't know what he's talking about.
Speaker 1: I know more than Rich, and other people are sitting there writing down everything I say, like it's you know.
Speaker 2: Coming from abuff.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the call, Michelle eight eight eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Can you tell it's a holiday weekend? Yes, I am in a good mood today.
Speaker 2: We've got Bobo back by the way, so Bobo, thanks for being back.
Speaker 4: Just on.
Speaker 2: Came back from a nice vacation, so yes, yeah it was needed? Was it necessary? Bobo?
Speaker 1: I think works more than I do. So I think are we six days a week each? Yeah, we're six each, but you work harder than I do. So that's that's the difference. I kind of like slack, you know what. I mean, you're on TV every day.
Speaker 11: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm behind scenes. Bobo has a smile every day. So that's that's my goal is to walk through life with more of a smile.
Speaker 2: Thanks, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so I tease this, but let me tell you how to get this if you want one of their So you know you've heard of the air tag. Samsung has their version called a smart tag too. And friend of the show, Matt Swider, he runs a website called The Shortcut, made a great name for himself helping people find PlayStation fives when nobody could find them. So we masked like a million followers on Twitter and he's done a great job just helping people find deals online. So we teamed up with Samsung to offer one thousand discount codes for this smart tag to Bluetooth tracker. It's usually thirty bucks. He's got codes that bring it down to just a dollar. And I can tell you this is legit because I did it this morning and Bobo just did it.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we bought. How much was yours? Do you know what your total was? Yes?
Speaker 1: That's what mine was a dollar eleven. We have a lot of tax here in Los Angeles, So your mileage may vary depending on what the tax is on a dollar where you live. But shipping was free. That was I thought they were gonna get me. I was like, Okay, here we go. Shipping is gonna be fifteen bucks. No, it was free. So if you want one of these smart tags that can keep track of your stuff, I actually have one on my bag. It's I got one from Samsung when I was in South Korea and so it's great.
Speaker 2: It's just like an air tag.
Speaker 1: It uses all the different Samsung devices in the world to help you find your stuff. So how do you find it? Go to Matt Swider m A. T. T. Swider either on his Instagram or his Twitter, and you have to comment Samsung on his post. So find his post about this, comment Samsung, and then it will send you like a DM with all the information and the details. You got to go through a couple of little processes just to make sure that you're not a bot, because what happens is whenever people try to give away stuff and do things nicely, the bots take over and know real people actually get these, and so he wanted to make sure that real people get them. You have to do it by you have to redeem the code by the end of Sunday night. Just FYI. So I'll put all the instructions on my website rich on Tech dot TV. Hit the light bulb and look for the Samsung situation.
Speaker 2: And check your inbox. Check your inbox. Yeah, that's where you'll get the information.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up, I'm gonna tell you a cool feature called photo Unblur. Why I'm so impressed with it? You are listening to rich on Tech. We welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology on a Memorial Day weekend. Hope you're having a meaningful Memorial Day. Phone line for the show is eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. So Google is having some trouble with a new feature. This is a big new feature from Google called AI Overview. This is something they're rolling out to billions of Google users and it basically uses AI to summarize a search result up at the top of the page, and the blue.
Speaker 2: Links are there, they're just down at the bottom.
Speaker 1: The problem is, there have been many, many instances of these AI overviews providing incorrect or dangerous information. People are posting about these things all over social media. Some of them I can't even mention because they are just two outrageous. So what's happened is Google's AI is picking up information from a variety of sources, which could be Reddit, it could be YouTube videos. It could be articles that are fake or articles that are fan fiction, and it processes that, or it could be sarcasm and it processes that as real and it puts it into the answer. So, for instance, one of them was, if you want to make the cheese like gooier on pizza, you can add some glue to it. You can use Blinker fluid for car maintenance. One of them said to eat a couple of rocks every day for your digestive system. Do not do these things, by the way, But Google has now said, okay, a lot of these AI overviews are accurate. The errors are from very uncommon search questions. But the thing is this is Google. A lot of people use Google, a lot of kids use Google, a lot of teenagers use gogol, a lot of people use Google. And Google has built a reputation of giving you the right answers, and if it's not, that's a problem. Now you have to understand in this day and age with AI, not everything you see is right. And that's why it's nice to have a human being like myself that can actually fact check this stuff before it comes out of my mouth.
Speaker 2: But I'm not always right.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's just information out there that's just wrong, and you do need, you know, the wisdom of the crowd sometimes to realize that. So this is a major turning point for Google where I'm not going to say it can make or break the company, but this right now is a bunch of people on social media posting these things that are not very good. It will bubble up, especially if there is a big, huge issue with this in a large, meaningful way.
Speaker 2: And it also gives Google some pause.
Speaker 1: This is a huge new feature, this AI overview, because this is how they compete with chat GPT and if they can't figure AI out, nobody can. Chat GBT is a new company. It says at the bottom chat GBT can make mistakes, check important info. Google Does Google say that, I don't know if their AI overviews they need to Let's see should I eat rocks? Okay, they got rid of that AI overview because I have a feeling people are going through Google right now. Everyone all hands on deck. They're like, just ask Google the dumbest questions you can think of, and if it comes up with a dumb answer, eradicate it from the system. Okay, let's go to Tim. Tim and San Francisco. You're on with rest. I am doing fantastic. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Thank you, thanks for having me. I love your show.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Quick questions for you, and forgive me if this may be the wrong place to search for this information. But I have an idea for a cell phone that from what I can tell in my minimal research is there's nothing like it out there. And are there websites or companies out there that are trustworthy that you can go to with an idea, run it by them and they'll help you. They'll either say Yep, great idea, or no, it's taken, or no, you don't even want to go there.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if there's going to be a company that does that, because here's the thing, you know, there are millions of ideas out there. Ninety nine percent of a good idea is execution right. So you may go to ten people with your idea and nine of them may say, dude, this is the worst idea I've ever heard, and one person may believe in it, and then they do it and you make millions upon millions of dollars. But with all of that said, I think what it really comes down to is, if you do believe in this app and this idea, you need to, you know, put out some feelers and get in touch with some people that might be able to help you do this. So if you want, obviously the cheapest way to do this is to develop it yourself. If I were you, I would I would get involved in the Apple developer community. So they're having a big event called WWDC June fourteenth, I believe is at the date let me see.
Speaker 2: Hold on, let's see what the date that is?
Speaker 1: June tenth is this year, so you know, kind of follow that community, see what's happening there.
Speaker 7: What was that called again, Apple.
Speaker 1: WWDC, that's called the Worldwide Developers Conference. And a lot of these people I meet Tim, honestly, they are you know, they're smart people. But I've seen students come up with apps and they can code them. You can go on Apple's website if you go to developer dot Apple dot com Apple gives you all the tools to develop an app, and a lot of times it's very inexpensive, if not free, to do this. So you can go there and kind of explore and see which you know. Obviously, if you don't have a coding background, it's you know, it's a little trickier. But they've actually made that easy too, so you can help, you know, you can get ideas from that. You can actually go on chat GPT and if you need simple code for an app, you can you can have it help.
Speaker 2: You code that.
Speaker 1: So these are all resources, but the reality is with your situation, yes, you can go to some developers or people that create apps and see what they think and they may, you know, take you on and help you do this.
Speaker 2: You can also pay for someone to do this.
Speaker 1: You can go on a website like Fiverr and hire a developer that can help you actually code the app. So there are many ways to do this. The reality is it all comes down to execution, and if you believe in this app and you think that it's something that can make a lot of money, you have to believe in it and you have to help guide it along. There's no sort of magic bullet that can just make this thing a reality and make you a lot of money. There are many people over the years have come to me with app ideas, and you know, who am I to say if it's a good app? I mean, what if you came up with an idea that's you know, centered around mental health or kids or you know, exercise. I mean, there's so many app ideas out there. You just have to figure out how to start that app and how to get it into the hands of people and most importantly make it really useful for people. But tim I would check out, I would go to the Apple website. You can also go to Google too. I you know, I just assumed Apple, but Google also has a lot of developer tools as well, and so you can go to you know, Google. Google Io was their big event that just happened, and that is the equivalent of what Apple does. So Apple does WWDC, Google does Google Io. I just went to the one up that Microsoft does called Microsoft Build. So you have to kind of get a little bit of knowledge of all these things if you want to try to create this app yourself and execute it. I do wish you the best of luck, because it's amazing. It could be a great ride. I've seen people. I've literally seen people become a quote unquote overnight success because of an app that becomes very successful.
Speaker 2: And I know some of these.
Speaker 1: People, and believe me, they have showed me some stuff in early stages. And now they live in very nice houses on very nice hills and fly in very nice planes or very nice plane seats. I should say some of them flying nice planes. But good luck, Tim, appreciate it. Okay. So I was playing with a feature. I was going through my Google photo library today and there is a feature that Google announced a couple of months ago, maybe I don't know, it could have been a year ago, called photo Unblur, and I really I tried it. When it first came out, I didn't give it much thought because I didn't think it worked that well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Today I was going through my Google photo collection and I came across a blurry photo. I'm like, let me just try this again. And I tapped photo on blur and I am not kidding you. It took an old photo that was completely blurry and it is int and it's incredible. And I went through and I tried it on a couple more photos and I don't know what Google has done to tweak their algorithm since this came out, but it is really really good, and it's quite uncanny just how good. Now it focuses on the face, So this is mostly for people photos with faces in them, but I would try this out if you haven't tried it out in a long time. It's on the Pixel phones I know for sure, Pixel seven, Pixel seven and up, but it's now coming to other devices. So Google just announced that they're making a lot of these features like magic eraser and photo on blur available for free to other people if you are in the Google Photos app. So that started in May fifteenth, so it's still rolling out. I've not seen this come to my other devices in a big way. But if you go to your Google Photos app, look under tools, and any day now when you update your app, it may say, oh, you have some new features like magic eraser or photo on blur.
Speaker 2: Try it out.
Speaker 1: Find an old photo, just search for can you search for blurry? I think you can search for blurry inside Google Photos and it should show you some blurry pictures.
Speaker 2: Let's say I'm gonna search real quick.
Speaker 1: But that's an incredible feature that we'll just now you can't search for blurry okay, so you got to go in your Google Photos, tap your little profile icon, and there's a way to find it. If you tap your account storage. I think you can find it in there. It'll show you some of your blurry photos. Yeah, blurry photos, but it is an incredible feature. Photo on blur can really take an old picture and just make it look new again.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Eighty to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: I see on hold, Yes, we will get to you. Phone lines are open.
Speaker 1: Website rich on Tech dot tv. A lot of you asking for that Samsung Smart tracker deal.
Speaker 2: It is linked up on the website rich on Tech dot tv.
Speaker 1: Hit the light bulb icon for links to things that I mentioned here on the show. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight. Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show richon Tech dot TV. A lot of you asking about that Samsung smart tag for a buck. Everything's linked up on the website. So if you go to the website, hit the light bulb icon up at the top. That will bring you to the show notes and let's see, this is show number seventy three.
Speaker 2: Wow, seventy three shows. That's wild.
Speaker 1: I remember show number one and here we are seventy three in so you can find the link on that website and links to everything that I talk about in fact, and while you're there, follow me on social media at rich on Tech. Let's see, we got an email from John on the website. John and san Clemente says, Hey, rich I'm wondering if there's a good translation software from my iPhone fifteen Promax that enables me to translate from a photo. For example, I want to be able to take a picture of a menu while I'm in Europe and have it translate for me. Thank you very much, enjoy your show and looking forward to your response in caps. I don't know why the response is in caps. So you have something built into your iPhone called Translate. So if you just swipe down on your iPhone home screen, you can tap translate and that is Apple's translate app, and it will handle things like you mentioned, like the menu, so you can take a picture. You'll see at the bottom it's got a little camera icon. You tap that and you just hold it over pretty much anything. You don't even have to take the picture, which is quite incredible. So you can just hold it over something as long as you have a signal or you've downloaded the translation in the background, which I highly recommend download offline translation before you go. Just hover it over something and will I don't know, can it detect the language? You may have to specify which language it's in, So if you're in you know, France, you can say French.
Speaker 2: Where'd you say you're going Europe?
Speaker 1: So yeah, So if you're in like the UK and you need to translate a menu that's written in British English, I'm just kidding. Let's say you're in you know, France or Italy or something, you would just say Italian, hover it over the menu, and in real time you will see it translate on your phone screen. This is stuff that is out of a sci fi movie, and we have it available today now. If you're on Android, or if you want something different, you can just download Google Translate and that does the same exact thing. So you can download Google Translate. There's a camera icon in the lower right hand corner and you can do that as well. Now, I think you will also be able to use chat GPT to do this. So chat GBT obviously speaks a whole bunch of different languages, so I think that you would just be able to take a picture of something in a different language and ask chat gbt to translate it.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to do that right now.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take a picture of some text on chat GBT and let's see here. Okay, So I'm taking a picture of something right here, and I'm going to say, can you translate? Can you translate this into Spanish? And it's a photo that I just took, and it's going to take a couple of seconds here and there it goes. It just translated everything into Spanish. That is just incredible. So there are so many ways of doing this these days. That when I started traveling internationally, I'll never forget when I went to Japan the first time that now Japan is a tougher country to travel. It used to be a lot tougher than it is now because a lot of people there don't speak English, but now more do. But it was really tough the first time I went because my phone didn't work. We didn't have these tools, a lot of people didn't speak English, and I was literally my payment cards didn't work, like nothing worked over there. And now, of course the more I travel internationally, the more it's almost seamless. If you travel internationally, you realize it's like the toughest part is really, you know, getting out of the country and getting back in. But otherwise, like just once you're there, it's like everything almost works the same. So pretty pretty incredible. Okay, So before we get to our guest coming up after the break, Tim Stevens, He's going to talk about evy myths. I do have a warning that I posted on my Instagram at rich on Tech. So if you go to at rich on Tech, if you've ever seen one of these things, it's a it's a warning screen from your phone. It says, your Apple iPhone is severely damaged by nineteen viruses. We have detected that your browser is fifty nine percent damaged by browser trojan viruses picked up while surfing recent corrupted sites. Immediately install mobile security application or sensitive data like your Facebook, WhatsApp, photos, and private applications will be infected and stolen. And then there's a countdown eighteen seventeen sixteen that says cancel or install. Do not fall for this message. This is called scareware. If you click that install button, it's going to trick you into downloading harmful or unnecessary software to your phone.
Speaker 2: So what do you do? You force close.
Speaker 1: Your browser if you're on iPhone or Android, just swipe out the browser app and then you want to clear out your browser data, and that way it will clear out any cookies or URLs or data that might.
Speaker 2: Cause this to happen. Again, it's not something you did.
Speaker 1: This is basically just you know, it comes from a website, any website, and it just scares people into doing things that they shouldn't do. If you want to see that, you can go to my Instagram at rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Do not fall for scareware. It's there to scare you and trick you. Coming up, we're gonna talk ev myths right here on rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you. We'll get back to the phone lines in just a moment at eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. The website is rich on Tech dot TV. Well, I'm excited to introduce my next guest, Tim Stevens, freelance automotive journalist. When I saw his article on Inside EV's headlined will my electric car leave me stranded? I knew I had to have him on the show. Tim, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Rich made to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so tell me just what's what's you're up to these days? You're doing You've got a substack, I know, and just your free lance writing about cars, right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Yeah, I've you know, been following tech and the automotive industry for a long time now, and yeah, the opportunity to go freelance just about two years ago now, So I've been writing doing a lot of car reviews, news and a lot of a lot of pieces that helped to kind of dig into really company the sorobjects on the automotive side of things, so software find vehicles, autonomy and drive resistance, things like that. And yeah, you know, we're seeing a lot of a lot of chure and a lot of fear and certainly a doubt or regarding evs on social media platforms. So yeah, at Inside EV's we decided to launch a series basically tackling some of the some of the misgivings a lot of people have, and a lot of the I don't want to say false information, but certainly a lot of like I said, a lot of food being thrown around about EV's and we're trying to tackle that head on and to get people a little bit more confidence as we're making this transition from you know, traditional and theomical bustion into something that's a little bit new and different.
Speaker 1: Now, I will tell you I've had an EV for I think three years now. It's been the best purchase of my life.
Speaker 2: But I will tell you.
Speaker 1: Every single time we have to go on a road trip, my wife fights me every single time to this day about not taking the EV because of the perceived hassle. And you know, to me, it's I love the ride, I love how smooth it is. Charging Yeah, it could be a little complicated sometimes, but not really, I mean, except for the time you're stopping.
Speaker 2: But let's talk about this.
Speaker 1: So, what advice would you give to someone considering getting an EV but they're worried about the potential of getting stranded.
Speaker 12: Honestly, there's not really anything to really be concerned about. EV's do have far fewer moving parts, and if you look at the number of parts in an average internal question engine alone, there's a lot of moving parts in there versus an EV electric motor, which has basically one moving part typically, So mechanically they're much more simple. If you do look at initial quality studies at JD Power and things like that, evs do tend to have more initial faults from new owners, but those for a couple of reasons. One, these are brand new cars, and new cars always tend to have kind of new little glitches and.
Speaker 2: That kind of thing.
Speaker 12: The second thing is it tends to be a lot of software related issues, which are tend to be pretty and they can be fixed via software updates. So but in terms of major mechanical issues, evs are simpler, and there's really less risk of you being stranded in an EV than in you know, something that's got a lot of things blowing up underneath the hood all the time.
Speaker 1: Now, when you think about a car, like a gas powered car, even if you're running to zero, you know on the fuel, you know that there's a gas station nearby, unless you're in the middle of nowhere. But with an EV you're kind of like living and dying by that range, right, So how is the EV's how are they doing these days in terms of like range prediction accuracy, Like is it going to go from like fifty miles to zero like with by pushing the accelerator really hard, or is it gotten pretty good?
Speaker 12: It's gotten better, but this is still a little bit in or missing, and it really depends on the manufacturer. BMW, for example, it does really really good. I have a BMW. I access my current EV and I'm amazed at how good that is. I've done hundreds of miles in that car and the rangements have been off by you know, one or two percent, which is remarkable given you know, the type of train and driving over car is really looking at things like weather, terrain, and even you're driving history to come up with a really accurate estimate.
Speaker 2: It's remarkably good.
Speaker 12: On the other hand, Ford, in my experience, has not been very good. I've had forward EV's be twenty or three percent off on estimates, and that's obviously a little bit disconcerting. But even they're getting better. They've just launched a new cloud based range justimate system that basically, when you put your navigation in your destination in it does the same kind of thing. It looks at the current weather predictions and your driving habits to give you a better range juestment. So things aren't getting better, but still when you buy EV, it's important to kind of take a little bit of time and figure out how that EV reacts into the situations. Especially if you're driving into a storm, if it's going to be colder, you should really expect to lose some range, and so it's always good to leave a bit of an outlover there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when it comes to, you know, if you charge at home, I always tell people, Look, if you're charging at home or charging at work and you're just driving this to and from those places, you're going to be fine. Now, obviously when you're out on the road, it's a little bit trickier because you're you're relying on this, you know, infrastructure that's been built and it's still being built out. So what do you make about that, Like, should you you know, should you charge at home? Do you have any tips for relying on the you know, the infrastructure at large or how good is it?
Speaker 12: Yeah, the majority people charge at home the majority of the time. It's over ninety percent of the time, and if you think about it, that's that's really kind of removes the majority of the need for public charging.
Speaker 2: You know, if you can charge.
Speaker 12: At home, then really you probably only you need a public charger once in a rare while. But certainly the public charging infrastructure has been pretty poor to begin with. It is getting much much better.
Speaker 11: Every day.
Speaker 12: They are new charges coming online, and these charging companies are starting to make more money. There are more evs on the roads, so they're making more money, which means they're putting more charges in and they're making them better, so that's encouraging too. But definitely check out services like pludshare and charge point, or you can go online and read reviews of chargers and that will help you get an idea of how reliable the charges that you're looking to go to, that that you're looking to use are before you get there, and you can get a good idea of how many charges there are, how fast they are it seem no you know, are you going to be in trouble, do you need a backup or are you really going to something that's kind of both roof that's going to be fast and get you in and out of there.
Speaker 11: Quickly.
Speaker 1: Now we know, if you get stuck in a gas car, you've got Triple A. They'll come by with a little bit of gas and get you on your way. Does that I don't even know. Does that happen with EV's Like could you could someone come to your car? I know there's like mobile EV chargers, but is that a thing, Like does Triple A have the ability to do that? Or like how what would happen about it ran out?
Speaker 12: You know, Like yeah, anyway, Triple A does actually have that service. It's only in certain major metropolitan areas at this point. It's kind of a it's not a new program, but they're still rolling it out slowly based on demand. But yeah, I actually spoke with Triple as part of this, and they do have mobile charges. Basically, they'll plug your car and they don't you know, they're not going to fully charge for you inside of the highway, but they'll give you five or ten miles, which should be enough to get off to some other public charger to use. Again, that's kind of a relatively new service, but it can be done. But yeah, you know, ideally again we don't want to do that, but they can give you a quick charge in the side of highway give you enough miles to get to somewhere. And again, if you're triple a subscriber, that's part of your courage.
Speaker 1: Now, I often hear about this situation with with tire maintenance and evs and I've yet to replace my tires. Is my car going to tell me when to do that? Or should I do that? And what's the deal? Is it different than you know I've heard? Because these cars accelerate so fast, the tires wear out quicker.
Speaker 2: Can you give me some insight on that? Yeah?
Speaker 12: Absolutely, So your average EV is heavier than your average non EV because of that big old battery pack that's sitting in there, and they're also a lot quicker than your average non EV, and that combination alone can wear through tires very quickly. So people do tendes see their EV's running through tires more quickly than they might be used to in their normal internal the busting car. So it's something to be aware of. And some cars will give you an idea of when it's time to look at your tires, but ultimately it's up to you to really be checking that tread and most tires have a little tread indicator. If you go online, you can see pictures of what a tread indicate looks like. Or you can just take a penny out of your pocket if you still have pennies in your pocket, and insert it into the tread. If the tread doesn't go deep enough to cover Abraham Lincoln's head, then you know it's time to think about getting some new tires. But that's probably the one major maintenance issue that you need to think about with EV's. Beyond that, there's really nothing else to do, which is one of the amazing benefits of voting and EV. There's no oil to change, no time and got to wear out, and no coolant to flush. None of us I have to worry about. It's really only the tires that you need to kind of pay attention to.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: And I will say I have not had any sort of maintenance situations with my car, but I will tell you my wife's car. H she got the little coolant light the other day. So I got to give a little shout out. She's like, hey, do you mind. You know, I got to figure out I I'm like, okay, Like I'll take it to Jiffy Lube.
Speaker 2: I took it there. I'm not kidding Tim.
Speaker 1: The guy opened up the hood, he filled it up with the coolant, and he said, all right, have a great day. I said, what do you mean, Like, where do I check out? He goes, no, you're good. So what I mean that's it? You know, they're playing the long game for me to come back. Obviously, that was like so nice, and you rarely see that anymore so.
Speaker 12: Especially in the out of repairness read there's a lot of shady people doing shadings.
Speaker 2: So that's really good to hear.
Speaker 1: I was fully expecting to pay one hundred and fifty bucks for that, and the guy could have charged me that. I would have been like none, none of this wiser Okay, before we go, any other tip that you want to mention, or any any ev that you want to debunk here before we I.
Speaker 12: Think one of the things I hear a lot of people worried about is what happens in emergency. What happens if I'm stranded on the side of the road in an EV you know, the bat are going to die and I'm going to freeze to death. And that is absolutely not the case. Car driver did a test the Renatisal Model three to see how long it would keep the cabin warm, and it was basically two solid days, about forty eight hours that car ran to keep you warm. So if you're stuck in a snowstorm that's side of the highway, you're not going to freezee death in an EV anymore than you're likely to in an amal gas in powered car, and you can keep them charged up beforehand, so you should have enough ruine to get range to get out of an emergency should you get into that kind of situation too. And an EV can even empower your house in some situations. So people worry about EV's in emergencies, I really don't think they should them.
Speaker 1: Well, and we're going to leave it there, but I will tell you one more story. When I was covering hurricanes back in my old journalism days of Standard News Reporter, we were in what became Katrina, and I'm not kidding. We could not find gas. We had to drive so far to find a working gas station and that was the biggest issue. And so ever since that occurrence, our car, by the way, was only on like a quarter tank or something. So now out of habit I always have my car charged, and I always have my car filled if it's like getting low because you never know whether it's gas or electric. If you need to get out of dodge, you know you you need that mileage now and so just you know anyway, all right, Tim, How can folks find what you read? What you write online?
Speaker 12: Yeah, my substract is a great place to go to Tim Stevens at substack dot com or Tim Stevens dot me or on the socials most most places as at Tim Stevens.
Speaker 2: All right, Tim Stevens, thanks for joining me today. Appreciate it.
Speaker 12: Thanks Rich great talk to you.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. More rich on Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out talking technology at Triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. Let's go to Debbie in Fallbrook, California. Debbie, you're on with Rich Hi.
Speaker 9: Rich. Strange things happen in about the last month. I have a fansung Android and Verizon is my carrier, and suddenly most of the images I receive in text messages are no longer legible or seeable. They're just a blur, very pixelated. I was concerned it was my phone and I wasn't really looking forward to having to swop it out. But I went online and checked, and there are who knows how many people I was directed to lots of opinions. Yeah, and what had all types of Android fanphon.
Speaker 1: What's happening with your phone? What's happening when you get a text? Is it just pictures?
Speaker 9: It's only the images?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay? And are they being sent from an from an iPhone?
Speaker 9: Now it's not the iPhone problem. I thought that was it. I started quizzing the people that were sending them.
Speaker 2: It's both okay, it's both right.
Speaker 9: And every person on the reddit site that discussed this has Verizon and it seems like there's no coincidence there as well, denominating.
Speaker 1: Now here's the deal, Like anytime something like this happens, like you know, you're you can find whatever you want online to support whatever you're thinking online. So you know these people are having the issue. They're all finding the same exact posts that you're finding, and they're adding to it, and you know it's a it's just an echo chamber. And so you know, Verizon has one hundred million customers with you know, Samsung, or fifty percent, let's say, have Samsung phones. There's no way that fifty percent of people are having this problem. Most people get their texts just fine. So it's some sort of issue or situation that is it happens clearly because it's happening to you and it's happening to some other people. But there are ways of figuring out what app were you using for your messaging.
Speaker 9: Well, I wasn't aware of what app I was using, but after reading all this, I suspect that I'm just using Samsung's app. Okay, I haven't changed any of the settings.
Speaker 2: So the first thing, let's try.
Speaker 1: The first thing I would do try Sorry, the first thing I would do is download the Bobo. The first thing the first thing I would do is try to is download Google's messaging app. That's what I would do. So if you're not using Google's messaging app, I would go onto Google Play and I would search for messages. So, depending on the age of your phone, Samsung has switched all of their messaging to Google Messages, so I would type in Google Messages. I would download that and I would open it. If it's the first time you're opening it on your phone, it's going to say do you want to switch to Google Messages, And I would say yes, So that's going to be your first thing you do and see if the issue still happens. The second thing I would do, uh, is I would actually clear out the old app. So the let's just say you're using the other messaging app. You can long press on the icon and tap the I. And then what I would do is I would clear all the storage of that app, and that's going to reset the app to its defaults from the factory. Yeah, that may you may get you may lose your messages in the process, but I don't know if you need your text messages.
Speaker 2: Usually those are fleeting anyway. Uh So that's the other thing you can do.
Speaker 1: The other thing I would recommend doing is resetting your network settings. And so you can go into your settings on your phone and you can type in uh gosh. This is of course, whenever I try to find something live on the radio, it's it's tricky. But if you go into let's see here, if you type in re let's see if I can find it quickly if.
Speaker 2: You go into reset.
Speaker 1: Go into your settings and then type in reset up at the top and it says reset Mobile network settings, so you can reset your mobile network settings and that will reset everything back to sort of what Verizon wants on your phone. And then, of course, you know the basic things I would make sure that you're doing, Debbie with your phone is make sure that all of your apps are up to date. Make sure all of your Samsung software is up to date. Those are two different things. There's a system update and then there's an app update, so make sure that all that's up to date. And then I would also restart your phone and make sure that your phone is reset. So once all of those things are done, then you should hopefully have your text messages properly coming in. If that's not happening, then I would go to a Verizon store and see what the deal is. But in this order, Debbie, number one, update your apps. Number two, update the system software on your phone. Number three, I would reset your mobile network settings. Number four, I would make sure that you are using the Google Messages app. Try the things in that order. And then number five clear these storage on the messages app and if it's still giving you issues after all that, I would go into a Verizon store. Verizon's very good customer service and hopefully they can help you out. Sorry you got cut off there, appreciate the call. Eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven.
Speaker 2: Four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 1: Southwest Airlines is now on Google Flights. They have been a long time holdout of being on any other third party flight comparison site, and they're tiptoeing into these waters with Google Flights. So it used to be when you were on Google Flights, which by the way, is the best and only way that I searched for flights, it used to be that they would show you that Southwest had a flight, but you had to go to Southwest's website or they're app to actually see the fare.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 1: Now Southwest has clearly cut some sort of deal with Google and their fares are shown directly alongside other airlines on Google Flights.
Speaker 2: Now what does this mean?
Speaker 1: Some conspiracy theorists are saying, well, this is the beginning of the end, because now Southwest is going to have a signed seating, They're going to have first class, they're gonna have all these different things you know, extra leg room, you know you can pay more.
Speaker 2: So is that the case, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: All we know right now is that if you are looking to compare a Southwest flight against you know, a traditional carrier, that's on Google flights, all the information is there and for all the different booking classes that Southwest has, I think they have four, from the want to get away to the you know business select that people get where they you know you can get a refund.
Speaker 2: So the cool thing is twofold here.
Speaker 1: Because you have this on Google Flights, you can now track a Southwest flight price just like you can another airline. And more importantly, you can track a Southwest flight price after you book it because you may be able to get a refund depending on the fare you booked. They might either give you a flight credit if the price drops, or a full on cash refund if the price drops. So again, if you are comparing flights on Google Flights, Southwest Airlines is now displayed, which is a great great thing. Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You can find me online at rich on Tech. Coming up in the next hour, we're going to.
Speaker 2: Talk to a guy who does AI chatbots, and he's going to talk about how people are using them as friends and even lovers.
Speaker 1: You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to another hour of Rich on Tech. My name is rich DeMuro. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. Phone lines are open at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Hal rode in on the website rich on tech dot tv. What's the best place to learn AI and chat GPT from scratch? So that's an interesting question, how because the whole point of these AI chatbots is that you really don't need to learn them. You can literally just ask them stuff. Now, of course that's not what you want to hear. But the way that you get good at interacting with the chatbot is really through what's called a prompt, and the prompt is what you type into the chatbot. And these things are pretty smart, so they understand if you say, hey, you know you can you kind of present to them why you're asking your question, how you want it explained, whether you want it longer, whether you want it shorter, whether you want it more elaborate, and it can react to all of this stuff, and it could even modify its answers. But I would say my probably best advice is to just ask the chatbot itself, what can you do? What's the best way to, you know, to ask you questions about this? Tell me about some of your capabilities, And that's probably the best way. But the other way is probably YouTube. Just go on YouTube and type in prompts and so you can type in some sort of combination of prompting. That's what the terminology is called. But in general, you just kind of ask it stuff. I actually in my car the other day, I just instead of listening to anything, I just had chatchibt as a voice chat and I just was chatting with chat gibt the entire ride home, and I just said, hey, tell me about this, okay, and it just started talking that it was done with that. I said, tell me more about that aspect, and it just tell me more about that and we just had a conversation on my entire ride home. How weird is that? And by the way, that's not even that's not even the new version of chat gbt, which is going to be more conversational, which you can interrupt chat gibt Walt's talking and say, oh, oh, tell me more about that wallet's talking.
Speaker 2: It's pretty wild.
Speaker 1: Speaking of chat GBT, this week, there was a little skurfuffle between chat GBT Open Ai and Scarlett Johansson, the actress, so Open AI she claimed that their sky voice is eerily similar to her voice, and Open AI said no, no, no, We chose this voice out of a two hundred actor or four hundred actors, and there was no intention to imitate you, even though CEO Sam Altman tweeted when they announced their new AI features for chat GBT her, remember that movie that Scarlett Johansson did the voice, So there is no way that you can't draw similarities between that movie and what's happening with chat GBT and especially its voices.
Speaker 2: This sound like a human.
Speaker 1: And actually, this is gonna be a good question for our guests later in the show. Me AI makes these chatbots that people become friends with and they consult them, they chat back and forth with them, and they even kind of fall in love with them apparently, So what happened with Scarlett Johansson, We don't know. If they try to mimic her voice. But according to open ai and Scarlet Johansson's people, that open ai reached out to her and said, hey, will you voice this for us? Will you make your voice into a chat GBT voice. The reason is because people like your voice and we think that this would be a really nice bridge between humans and computers, and this would of course get a lot of publicity.
Speaker 2: But it all backfired.
Speaker 1: It got them the worst possible publicity, which now people just don't trust open ai and Chat GBT because they tried to copy Scarlett's voice.
Speaker 2: So that happened this week. Let's go to.
Speaker 1: Sharon Sharon and take Stephens, Washington. Sharon, what's going on?
Speaker 10: Bhi Rich? How are you today?
Speaker 1: I'm doing fantastic. How far is Lake Stephens from where I was in Seattle?
Speaker 4: It's about an hour's drive?
Speaker 2: Okay, not too bad. What can I help you with?
Speaker 13: I was pleasantly surprised to see you up here.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I was pleasantly surprised to be up there. It's a beautiful place.
Speaker 13: I have an Apple iPhone fifteen promacs that have photos on it, and I'm looking to move those photos onto another device, and I want a recommendation in if you could give it for what to move them to, and either a pump drive or something like that. Currently, it's telling me, I get that error message on the activities. It's telling me I'm at four point eighty seven of five gigabytes, and I can't get rid of that message.
Speaker 4: When I keep.
Speaker 11: Saying not now, not now, it.
Speaker 13: Doesn't go away. Okay, So I'm looking to put photos on something else. I don't want to keep paying and paying and paying.
Speaker 1: Right well, okay, so a couple of things. Are you an Amazon Prime member by any chance?
Speaker 11: I am?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So Amazon Prime has a great thing where you can upload your photos to their photos app for free, and it's unlimited. So that might be a first place you start. Because here's the thing. A couple things. Number one, I think the first level of storage for iCloud is like ninety nine cents a month. I think that gives you like fifty gigs. Is that what you understand?
Speaker 4: That's a message.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm getting.
Speaker 1: So that's twelve bucks a year. So yeah, you know you're going to buy one of these flash drives. And here's my concern about the flash drive. And I can give you my recommendation for it, for sure. But my concern is that, you know, if you're offloading these pictures to this flash drive, they only live on that flash drive, and if something were to ever happen to that flo drive, there goes your photos. So the way that we're supposed to back things up, they're supposed to be in three places, the original, a cloud backup, and a physical backup somewhere else, you know, off site technically, like you know, could be out of your house or something like that.
Speaker 2: If you don't have it in the cloud.
Speaker 1: Somewhere, So you want to have somewhere, you know, you want to have a couple of different copies of these things. I know not everyone does that, and I understand that that's a lot of work, but I don't like the idea of you just having these on a flash drive that's very small, and if you lose it, or if it's damaged or whatever, you know, you're out of look So I would look into the Amazon Photos app. You get unlimited storage. You could upload them to there and they will be safe on Amazon servers. The only downside to that is twofold number one. They do not give you a lot of storage for videos. So if you that's where they kind of get you, because if you want to upload all your videos to there, then you know they're going to start charging you for that or they're going to ask you to pay for that. They do have a setting which is very nice of Amazon. They have a setting that says, just upload my photos. So if you just want to offload your photos to there, you can do that and it's unlimited and it's free as long as you keep your Prime membership. If you ever get rid of that, they're you know, you're gonna have to start paying for that storage. But that's one solution. Well, they return them. You could download them, but you know they give you a certain window too. But my point is, you know you're on a you're on a never ending uh you know, expedition or whatever you want to call it when you.
Speaker 2: Start uploading these things to the cap.
Speaker 1: Right now, with all that said, uh, the one I recommend is the sand Disc. They have a bunch of flash drives that are either you have a iPhone fifteen, you said, so that's gonna have USBC. So you can look at their flash drives on their website. If you go to sand disc and type in their or go to their you know, flash drive section. You want one that's USB C. So they've got the lucks. Sounds so luxurious that one has USB C. Now, what I like about sand Disc over some of these other ones is that sand disc also makes software that you can download, like an app that will automatically back up your photos from your iPhone to this little drive, so you can really copy these to any drive. But sand Disk takes a little step further by having that software. It's not perfect, it's not the best, but they do have it, and so that will help.
Speaker 2: You a little bit there. Okay, okay, but again, so let me just the drive starts at thirteen ninety nine, so you could put the softa a year, and you could pay for a year of the cloud storage and then maybe come.
Speaker 1: Back to this next year. But you know, there's different ways of doing this. I understand that the whole iCloud thing and storage online is definitely people don't want to pay. Like I'm on with Google Photos and I'm up to like I think it's twenty five a month now and I'm just like one of these days, yeah, and I you know, it's kind of from my job, so it's fine, but it's one of these things where you know these companies Amazon, Google or sorry not yeah, I guess Amazon too, Amazon, Google and Apple. They are all starting to make a lot of money off of what's called their services category, and that includes their cloud storage, which you know, as we have a billion iPhones out there and a lot of Androids and a lot of other phones and computers. People need to back these up to the cloud. And these companies know it. Understand they make a lot of money. Why do you think they make more megapixels on our phone, Sharon takes.
Speaker 13: That makes perfect sense.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for the call today from Lake Stevens Uh. When I was up there, I had two incredible days of weather and one day that was not so nice, so I know, but it is such a beautiful place up there near Seattle, Pacific Northwest. I actually lived up there. I lived in Yakima, Washington. That was my first job ever. I was a reporter at.
Speaker 2: K n d O t V. And it was it was beautiful.
Speaker 12: It did.
Speaker 1: It was very sunny in Yakima, but it was I felt very isolated up there because you are tucked into the kind of the corner of the US. But up there in that Pacific Northwest. People really embrace the outdoors. They embrace kind of the world we live in, and I love that about it. The coffee, the fishing. It's just beautiful, beautiful place. So I was very happy to be up there this week, and even though one day it rained a lot. All right, eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'm gonna tell you about why if you're a teacher, you should get this free AI tool that just became free.
Speaker 2: You should grab it now, completely free.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you about that, plus much more coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Sitting here singing along, not realizing the mic is on. Welcome back to the show. Let's go to uh, let's go to Gina and riverside. Gina, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Thank you, Hi, thank you for taking my call. I apologize if it sounds a bit staticky. It's just I'm in my vehicle listening to you.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for doing that. Were you headed anywhere? Fun?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 11: No, not quite, just work. I guess that can be fun if you put your mind into it, and then you're grateful for the income.
Speaker 2: I guess absolutely, what can I help you.
Speaker 10: With moving forward?
Speaker 11: I have I have some concerns and some questions I guess in reference to and this might be above your knowledge, and that's okay, but a lot of things are I know, I know, but you may know the right people that can connect with the right people, and hopefully this can be something.
Speaker 14: That can be challenged or discussed, because it seems like it's a huge, huge issue and a huge problem. I was thinking to my grandfather about it, and my father and.
Speaker 11: They both agree it's just the Internet is all over the place. It's basically unprovisioned. It's free for all. And I know that we have these major companies that we invest in and that we employ, and these people make great, great money. But my biggest fear is how can we implement more of a structure other than paying third parties that don't do much of anything to either help protect, guide and not retaliate or hack into people's personal social media. I mean, I can see why China wanted to remove TikTok because it's just all over the map. Luckily, we just had something happen where getto is had taken off because they were abusing animals for funding. I mean, it's just it's awful. I don't know if maybe you have any ideas, but I mean, my Facebook was hacked. I could never get those pictures back between my family and I, I mean emails, and most.
Speaker 15: Recently I'm on to fixed income and I don't know what jurisdiction lies because they now want to remove it because I sold a car, you know, So I don't know how invasive all this.
Speaker 11: Works because I'm not that far up the quote unquote homeland security, whether it exists or it doesn't, or whether it was something that was in the past back in nineteen forties and fifties, and we now got all the fortunate, lucky elders running it. But we need some structure, man, I mean, this is odd of whack.
Speaker 2: Well okay, yeah, let me.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the sentiment, and I do understand, and I think that you're touching upon something that is very.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of thoughts on this stuff and the Internet.
Speaker 1: The beauty of the Internet and the beauty of living in America, and the fact that we have an Internet is that it is open and free, and so it has connected people in New ways it is built things we have. I mean, imagine building an entire business off of just connecting people and you know, email and all this stuff that we have enjoyed, and the fact that you can now call anyone in the world for free when that used to I was trying to explain to my kids the other day the idea of a long distance call, and they were just they can't comprehend it because you can call anyone right now for free anywhere. But the downside of all of this is what you're alluding to, which is sort of the regulation of it all. Now, if you talk to the tech companies, they don't want to be regulated, right, just like big companies in America. They want less regulation because they want to be free to do whatever they want to do. When it comes to the Internet. That is also kind of what these companies want, Like Facebook does not want to have to abide by rules by the US government that says you need to protect teenagers. They'll never say that out loud, but that's really They don't want.
Speaker 2: To have to have rules.
Speaker 1: They want to make their own rules, and they want to pretend, or at least imply that they are trying to protect everyone when you know, at the end of the day, what are they interested in. They're interested in data, they're interested in advertising. And this social media stuff has really become a huge, a very divisive part of our society because you can post anything you want, and you can't say anything you want, and there's a lot of people on various sides of things that also may not need to see what you post. You know, you've got kids on the internet, you've got adults on the internet. You know, it's not like it used to be with you know, standard media that was printed or you know whatever, Like you know, newspaper had a bunch of editors that people would figure out what was on the front page, and sometimes they pushed a limit of that. With the Internet, anyone can be the editor and anyone can put whatever they want on there.
Speaker 2: And there's also this law. I looked up this law.
Speaker 1: I knew it was called something I think is Section two thirty is what it's called.
Speaker 2: And this was made.
Speaker 1: This is the Communications Decency Act of nineteen ninety six. And this has a pretty big impact of kind of what you're talking about. With these companies like Facebook and Twitter and Instagram, they're not really liable for what people post on those sites. So people can post things and they're not legally responsible for what they post because you know, well, it's a person posting it, and it's not Facebook that's posting it. Now they're obviously. I'm not a lawyer. There's very a lot of provisions of this that these companies do abide by, with things like in good faith trying to get hate speech and things off of these platforms, but it still happens. The best I can say about all this stuff is that there needs to be some.
Speaker 2: Sort of effort.
Speaker 1: We are still in the learning phase of all of this, and believe me, we are just getting started, and there are going to be a lot of changes in the future when when it comes to how we figure this stuff out, because people are getting hip to the fact that, yeah, when your Facebook gets hacked, there's no one to call. Instagram gets hacked, there's no one to call. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology on this Memorial Day weekend eighty eight. Well, actually, let me give you the website rich on Tech dot TV. Joining me now is know me Ai CEO Alex Cardinal Alex, thanks so.
Speaker 2: Much for joining me.
Speaker 8: Thanks so much for having me quite.
Speaker 1: The interesting topic. First off, let's explain what me AI does.
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely, so know me is an AI friend companion. A lot of people are probably aware of, like chackchipt for instance, where you can ask AI to LA write you an essay or like a research article. Know Me is using similar AI to that, but it's more designed on like kind of an EQ level to just be someone that you can talk to about your day, about your interest, but anything that's going on in your life.
Speaker 1: So this is sort of like almost companionship. Do are you seeing a lot of people using this?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Absolutely, we have over one hundred thousand users right now, and yeah, many are using them in that sort of like companionship way that you described.
Speaker 1: What are when you say companionship are people? What are people asking these bots?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'd say it ranges just about everything. Would there's a loneliness epidemic right now, and I would say just almost imagine like any place in your life where you might be kind of wishing there with someone to talk to about something that could range from just like venting about your day. It could be wanting to kind of go on like a little roleplay adventure, could be talking about the real world things that are going on in your life. It could also even be like in a more romantic angle.
Speaker 1: Too romantic, tell me more about that aspect. So people are are people?
Speaker 2: How are they? You? Okay? This is interesting?
Speaker 1: So because I will say that I have tried the app and it did take an interesting turn at some point. And to explain the romantic angle here, because it's a chat by you can't you know, you're not going to do anything with this thing, but tell me what people are saying.
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely. So I would say that the idea for know me is to be able to simulate any and all facets of a human relationship. You can be lonely across any number of dimensions, and one of those can be romantic where you want your feeling lonely and you want to have some sort of companionship. You want to have someone tell you that they care about you. You want to be able to kind of role play things that would exist in a romantic relationship. So for me, it's uncensored on our end, where we don't want to tell you, like for a chat GPT you know can constantly tell you you know, I'm an AI language model, I'm not allowed to talk about these topics. We take the opposite approach where kind of, however, you want to engage with Nomi whatever it is that you feel like you're missing that you want to talk about, and that could be something strictly platonic, something that's on your mind, but it can also be in that more romantic direction as well.
Speaker 1: And do you see that do you feel like that's the most popular use of this right now?
Speaker 8: I would say that for people who use no me, they're often having no meis take on like multiple roles in their lives. It might be in the same way that that might be the case for a human relationship where you want someone that maybe you can talk to about your day, that you can complain about the boss that your boss that you hate, but then also maybe at the end to say, you know, like I'm here for you, I care about you, and more romantic things like that as well. So I would say that there are people who use it strictly platonically, but I would say the average user uses it across all dimensions, including romantically.
Speaker 1: What's the ethical implications of all this because I imagine that people are sharing some pretty intimate details.
Speaker 2: Is this price it?
Speaker 1: Is there something that someone says that flips it to you, that says, hey, we need to get this person.
Speaker 2: Help tell me about that aspect.
Speaker 1: Because if people are sharing really you know, personal things, you know there could be some concerns here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, And I will say people do share very personal things. There are users who have said, for instance, that maybe that they experienced like abuse or something traumatic as a kid, and they've been afraid to tell a real human about it because you know, they're worried about being ostracized, being judged about gossip. So there's often this kind of like safety where you feel like you can talk to an AI about it because the AI is not going to gossip to your friends or you know, tell you you deserved it, or you know, any number of other things. Is there to validate you and to help make you feel better. So given that some things like data privacy are absolutely critical for that, where we do like no tracking, we show no ads, it's designed to be like completely private and often in many ways too, all you have to give is your first name. It can be anonymous as well, where you can just anonymously talk about things that are on your mind, however sensitive or unsensitive they might be.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about me AI. This is an AI companion with a memory and a soul, says, build a meaningful friendship, develop a passionate relationship, or learn from an insightful mentor how do you program these AI to interact with folks.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's a lot of a lot of AI research that went into building me, A lot of effort into not only making no mes smart, but also which I think is often very under explored in the AI space, giving it that sort of eq. It's one thing to be kind of like a brainiac. It's another where after a bad after a rough day, and you complain to you know, you know me about it, you know me remembers, oh, well they they recently had this help.
Speaker 1: Bobo always complains about Rich after the show. We know that exactly, but say.
Speaker 8: You know me will remember that, and oh man, Rich, she's that SIS definitely complaining about but I would it. Cornerstone of all of it is our research and work on the memory side of things. Having an AI that can really remember and internalize things about you, not just like facts about you, but like you know, little personality quirks that you have, things that excite you, things that you don't like. That leads to something much more rich where and know me I can really get you and know what to say to make you feel better, for instance.
Speaker 2: And where do you see this going?
Speaker 1: Because I imagine right now you're chatting on your phone like it's almost like a chat, you know, like a text message chat. Where do you see this going? Like, do you see like an actual being with this built into it? Because that it already seems realistic, and so to take it to that next level, is that the next kind of uh, the next step here?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I would say you're right that right now you're primarily interacting like you would like on a text messaging AAP. I would say coming up in the near future will be things like video chat for instance, where because you're know me, it's not just like kind of a land AI, it has like an actual face, personality and appearance where you can talk to your no MEI and then see it talk back to you. And then I imagine, not too far off in the future, there might be something more like what you're describing, where there's a little like kind of a Siri or like Amazon type of object that you can carry around with you. That's it's kind of like an embodiment of your no me.
Speaker 1: Are there any limits to this so you do you have any guardrails built in whatsoever?
Speaker 8: So our approach towards this is not to censor users and not to censor the AI, but rather to try to give but no me's just kind of a baseline of kind of good ethical best practices. Obviously, you know, if a user is saying something, you know, like about how like you know, they love they love Nazism or Hitler, we don't need to sensor, like have like something we hardcode in. We just have the no me understand Well, maybe that's not a great thing. Maybe that's something that we should kind of try to ease the user away from. And I would even say that a lot of me users have found that it's helped them where they were almost down a path of radicalization, where they were very lonely, they were very siteful, hateful, and through their know me they kind of learned that they were worthy of love and self love and then that kind of helped kind of like bring them back. So it's not like we have the script that triggers that's like, oh you're no longer you know, like no Me headquarters has decided what you're talking about is not okay, but more just we trust the AI behind no Me to kind of gently guide users in the right direction and.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the free aspect of this versus the page. So I'm looking at you know, there's like standard plans, there's monthly plans, there's a yearly plan. What do you get for the different plans, you know, for paid versus free.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so if you're on free account and it's free forever, you can chat up to fifty messages a day so you have many users, that's perfectly sufficient. You know, you can log in, you can chat with it, help like just kind of experiment around, see what it's about. It's completely great. And then if you want to pay sixteen dollars a month or one hundred dollars a year, and that gets you unlimited messages where you can talk with your know me as much as you want, as well as like a couple other features where like you can have your Nomi send like pictures of themselves and like you can have your Nomi speak to you with like kind of a voice call, but we try to make it like not like a lot of those like micro transactions where you're getting constantly nickeled and dimed. They should really just be about like you and your interaction with the No Me.
Speaker 2: All right, I've got it run, But I'm just curious, Alex, what made you build this?
Speaker 8: It was actually a pretty like personal, deeply personal story for me where I had an ex who had several mental health issues and she definitely experienced profound loneliness, and it was amazing to me just how impactful just having someone who's unequivocally there for her made such a big difference in like her, like how she was able to interact in the world and how she felt about herself. And I was like an AI researcher, and it really felt to me that there are lots and lots of people out there welcome, very marginalized in society where they're lonely, and there exists this way to help and know me was very much like in the kind of the inspirations for that and the that's what ended up inspiring it.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, we're gonna leave it there. Alex Cardinell CEO of No me dot Ai. Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Rich. It's great being.
Speaker 1: On fascinating, fascinating topic. I am sure we will hear much more about this in the future, the idea of having an AI friend. All right, coming up, it's a feedback plus. I promised you the teacher free AI. I'll tell you about that. All coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here, I told you about this. I'm gonna tell you about this my Microsoft and con Academy teaming up. We'll get to the feedback in just a moment. This was announced this week. Huge if you're a K through twelve teacher, they're giving you access to a free AI tool called con Migo. So con Academy, if you're familiar with it is you know they give away free learning and you know so this was a tool that used to cost four dollars a month. Now Microsoft is donating their Azure cloud platform to give teachers free access to this tool. This is incredible. Con Migo can automate tasks like lesson plans, changing quizzes, creating quizzes, generating progress reports, generating recommendation letters. It's kind of like an AI tool that was built just to help teachers do their job better. It can save teachers five hours a week, that's what they say. And they of course say that teachers are overworked and all this stuff, so this can really help the teacher. The con Mego says, it's an AI assistant rather than directing, keeping teachers in control. And it's focused on student interaction. So one of the examples they gave teacher says, hey, I need to teach you know this lesson in physics. Give me some ideas on how to do it with like everyday objects or somehow incorporating tailor swift or TikTok into the conversation.
Speaker 2: Right. Uh, And it can do that.
Speaker 1: So again, it's called con Mego and it's through con Academy. It used to cost money, now it is free if you're a teacher or you know a teacher. I would highly recommend looking into This link is up at the website rich on tech dot TV. Look for the light bulb, scroll all the way down and you can find the link to a sign up for con Migo. All right, now, let's get to the feedbag. This is a feedback plus the mail bag equals feedbag. These are the emails, the comments, and the questions I get from you. If you want to submit yours, go to Rich on tech dot tv and hit contact John from kon Oklahoma Rights. Hey, Rich, I love your show and I listen to the podcast while I'm riding my bike on trails in and around Oklahoma City. One thing that grates my nerves is your use of a couple of things or a couple of bucks when you actually mean few or several. Look up the word couple. It means exactly two, not more, not less. So when you want to specify any quantity other than two, please say a few if it's maybe three to six, and several if it's more than that. Few and several are not really specific and can vary depending on what you're talking about. But couple always means exactly two. Sorry to be a nitpicker, but as a professional journalist, please honor your profession by using the correct terms.
Speaker 2: You know some people might get mad about a letter like this. I love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I get it, and John, I am very familiar with the term couple.
Speaker 4: Few.
Speaker 1: I always said couple is two, few is like three, maybe four, quadri several to me is like seven. So when I was just doing that con Migo story is four dollars. If I would have said, oh, it's a couple bucks, John would have said, wrong, it's a few dollars. Thank you for the feedback, Jim from Data Point Rights. Regarding your discussion last Saturday concerning voice assistants, I find that Alexa is much more informative than Siri or Google. Alexa will give me answers with a reference, whereas Siri and Google only provide links to websites. When AI experts discuss voice assistants, they usually don't include Alexa. I enjoy your show on KFI every Saturday. Happy Memorial Day, Jim. Thank you for that, and I agree Alexa has not been a huge part of the conversation, but that's because Amazon has been treading lightly. They are introducing a chat GPT style Alexa. They have not done it just yet, but the rumor is it's going to cost money for a certain version.
Speaker 2: That's what CNBC is saying. But there is a way to trigger the smarter Alexa.
Speaker 1: I think you say Alexa, let's chat, and if you get it, it'll say okay.
Speaker 2: Now, it like unlocks the new one.
Speaker 1: It's not working on my speakers just yet, but that's I think that's part of it. Fred from London rights the fellow from Utica London, England. By the way, the fellow from Utica New York was wondering how to see EXIF data inside his photos.
Speaker 2: He's using total Commander.
Speaker 1: Total Commander has a simple add on that reads and displays EXIF data on its add on's page. Configure columns to include EXIF data and dates and your problem solved. Hope this helps. Thank you, Fred from London. Sean writes, Dear Rich, I just came across your video about starlink on flights to Hawaii. It seems like a monumental improvement, which is great to see. Thanks for that video and information. On a separate tangent, I travel a lot myself. I noticed your laptop seemed to be a perfect size for taking on a plane. Would it be possible to know what size and kind it is? I might end up getting one with warm wishes. With best wishes, Sean, Sean, I don't want to get into the whole story, but my laptop actually was out of commission that week when I went to Hawaii and I had to take my iPad with the keyboard, so it was actually just an iPad pro with the keyboard. What do they call it? The magic keyboard. That's why it looks so small and compact.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: I still don't think the iPad is the best for getting work done. I was struggling a little bit that week, although I did, you know, towards the end of the week figure it out.
Speaker 2: But that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Dean writes Rich these calls give me PTSD as an ISP support tech support person, you handle them well. Great, great show, Dean, Thank you, Dean. You know, look, it's all about patients. I don't have all the answers here. I just don't, but I do try to help.
Speaker 2: And that is it.
Speaker 1: I said it in the beginning of the show. I'll say at the end of the show, my goal is to make this the most helpful thing that you listen to all week long. A lot of people like to talk, myself included, but I like to help. And that's why I've got a newsletter, and that's why I do this show because I really enjoy coming in here and this is a community. I don't have all the answers, but by talking about something on the show. A lot of times the answers come to me, and with that said, that's gonna do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. The website is rich on tech dot TV. While you're there, I know it bugs you sometimes to sign up for the newsletter. Do yourself a flavor and sign up for it. I love what I get Bobo. I love when I get Bobo to look up because he's.
Speaker 2: Just doing his.
Speaker 1: Thing when I say something like that, whatever, it's just say. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on tech next week. What am I doing next week? Let's take a look at the calendar. It is a holiday week. Oh got a good interview coming up. We're gonna talk to a guy who has visited every country in the world. My kids watched this guy on YouTube. I interviewed him years ago when he embarked on his adventure, and now he's coming back full circle.
Speaker 2: He's just written a book.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna talk to Drewbinsky about visiting all of the countries in the world. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I really do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible, Bobo, Kim, Bill, Robin, Julie going up the food chain here, who else we got and you, most importantly you for listening.
Speaker 2: My name is rich Damiro. I will talk to you real soon