Speaker 1: Sit down some There's something I'd like to talk to you about. Actually thirty two things i'd like to talk to you about. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I always like it when you do a tease and I haven't got the slightest idea what we're about to talk about. It's exciting is.
Speaker 1: That, first of all, this may be my last. This will be my last one More Thing podcast until the July maybe ever if I decide to defect to Alaska and become an Alaska.
Speaker 2: If you're eaten by a polar bear, my parents got chased by a polar bear when they went there. When when I sent him to Alaska for my mom's sixty oh oh, chased by a damn. I got them a cruise to Alaska and they cruised around and everything like that, and then they went they added some other stuff on there. They took a helicopter up to Barrel Way up North oh and they are walking around in this tiny little town full of drunk eskimos. According to my dad and I had a polar bear came out and the guide was like, we need to back to the bus, and so they all like hustle back to the bus because they apparently you don't mess around with the bowler Bears.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wish we had time to do some of those extra things that we're doing. A cruise up and down the coast from Vancouver way up into Alaskan back, and that was long enough for our lifestyles right now. But yeah, I could absolutely see going back. I don't know if you've ever looked at a map, Alaska is very, very large.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The one thing I'm sure you'll be doing is drinking a drink with ice cubes that are fifty thousand years old or whatever. I guess that's a filing.
Speaker 1: The respect I deserve. Yeah, yeah, great, super, Okay, it's a good gimmu. Yeah, it should be nice. I'm really looking forward to it, and I'm blessed that we still enjoy each other's company as much as we do. So the thirty two things that I mentioned are rules for suns, and I love this. I mean, print this, I'm gonna I'm gonna retweet it, spread it, sons correct. Yeah, yes, suns. Su ns have their own rules.
Speaker 2: Nine billion years right exactly.
Speaker 1: Rule number one, create heat and light through fusion. Rule number two see rule number one. So these are good. We can you know, raise a hand if anybody wants to jump in and dwell on one of them, or we can just keep moving. But a lot of these are really really great. Number one, never shake a man's hand sitting down. That was interesting, fairly minor point, but it's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get up. Yeah. I don't think I's ever taught that, but I think it came to me at some point.
Speaker 1: It's funny because some of these are like, it's like a scale of one of five. Some of them are fives, like, by god, every man should know this, and every young man should know this, and if you weren't taught it, it's an indictable offense. That's like your fives down to the ones like what really? And number two would be one of those. I don't enter a pool by the stairs? What really? Jump in? Wow?
Speaker 2: Is there a never play a poker with a guy named Doc? Is there one of those?
Speaker 1: That's a good one. Number three the man at the barbecue grill is the closest thing to a king. He is in charge. That's right. Four In a negotiation, never make the first offer. I've not read that for years and years and years. Five request the late checkout It's funny. My wife always acts like I've asked, may I have sex with your daughter?
Speaker 2: I'm that way. I feel like it's really I'm really putting them out. Even I've had other people at I just I can't.
Speaker 1: I just feel like I shouldn't.
Speaker 2: We had an agreements. Check out his ten. When I got the key, you told me I can't make up ruled new rules.
Speaker 1: Now I ask for it all the time. Number six. When entrusted with a secret, keep it. That's the that's at level five. Absolutely uh. Seven Hold your heroes to a higher standard. That's a good one. Just because you they're your heroes doesn't mean let them slide because you know they're No. If they're deserving your hero of being your hero, they should clear a high bar. Let's see Eight. Return a borrowed car with a tank full of gas, a full tank of gas. That is a good one. I've always done that. Eight. Oh I'm sorry. Nine play with passion or not at all. Church rec leagues may be less so you know Friday beer leagues co ed. But yeah, when shaking hands, grip firmly and look them in the eye again, that's that's a level fiver and I know young men who don't, and I'm like, i'd really like to talk to your dad. This is an old expression, but a good one. Don't let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be. Don't be wishing, do the work. I like this one. If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point. Yeah, I've thought that way before. Camping out in the woods and people bring like some sort of cool music system, and I'm like, yeah, I get it, but I also kind of like just the quiet of the the woods. Yeah, I think you've missed the point. They've missed the point, and camping is a really good example of that. I agree one hundred percent. A lot of guys have tunes in their golf carts these days. If you play golf, a lot of people are listening to music. You mentioned that the other day, and I, like a lot of my good friends, I liked the quiet of the golf course back in the day, which I suppose doesn't exist anymore. I well, you're not allowed to have it loud really at any golf course, and like your better course, No, it's got to be if you can hear it across the fairway. It's too loud.
Speaker 2: But even in my own foursome, I don't. I think I'd prefer not to have it at all.
Speaker 1: But oh no, I don't want it at all, but the majority of my friends do, so I just go along with it. I've gotten used to it. But it's just I'm out there to hear the rustle of the wind in the trees and the birds making noise, and you know the sound of the club hitting the ball, and it makes it harder to communicate to everybody. You've got to like yell above their music. Did you get a five there? What did you get a five there?
Speaker 2: What do you think? That's still ridiculous? You're in the woods, you're escaping the hubbub of life to go into the woods, and you bring the noise of back where you live.
Speaker 1: I don't know, And I try really hard not to be judgmental about this, which.
Speaker 2: Is marshally judgmental news for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's a side of me if you have seen ah ah. And it's hard to even describe this without sounding judgmental. I don't at all have the need for constant background music. I don't I don't need it, I don't want it. I find it distracting, and what's what's the point. Are you bored? Do you not like life? Do you need to be entertained? Is this not entertaining enough? I just I don't get it.
Speaker 2: I was never having the TV on unless I was watching a specific show, as opposed to I've known lots of people back when I used to enter other people's homes in them mine. I haven't been in another person's home nor them in mine in a very, very very long time.
Speaker 1: It's safest.
Speaker 2: But people who had just the TV was always on, just kind of as a background noise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate that, but you know, teach their own.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: This one's kind of old time, but I like it. Carry two hen kerchiefs. The one in your back pocket is for you, the one in your breast pocket is for her moving along.
Speaker 2: Wait, that's a different era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you marry the girl, you marry her family two x to a large extent. Yeah yeah. Uh. Number fifteen is a classic. Be like a duck, remained calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath. Sixteen. You'll love this one. Jack. Experience the serenity of traveling alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've done a lot of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've done some of it.
Speaker 2: It's pretty awesome and I do enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, although.
Speaker 2: There's definitely been I've definitely traveled alone and done stuff where I thought, ah, it's really a shame. Yeah. So and so, whether it's my kids or a romantic companion of any kind, is not enjoying this also, right right, Oh.
Speaker 1: Let's see, never be afraid to ask out the best looking girl in the room. I wish there rules for sons.
Speaker 2: I wish I'd have lived that one when I was younger. Yeah, I don't have any real regrets in life because I'm happy with where things have ended up. And you know, you change one thing and everything could change.
Speaker 1: Time machine stepping on an ant Yep, we've all seen the movie.
Speaker 2: But I do wish er a couple of girls in high school that looking back on it, they clearly liked me in the way that I liked them, and I just never made the move. And it just horrifies me. But you know, you don't know, I think, you know, we could have met, fall in love, had kids. I'd still be in that town the rest of my life. I also could be perfectly happy with that, you don't know.
Speaker 1: Right right, right, Yeah, there there's like a couple of reunion type things I went to where girls who I thought were just cute he said, oh my god, I had such a crush on you. And I'm like what, But I put that down to my own cluelessness, not lack of confidence, total inability to pick up on signals.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of examples. But then one where we would once a year do the I think they called it morph Day or something like that. Anyway, it was a backwards day where girls ask out the boys, oh righteous shows you how old I am?
Speaker 1: Sadie Hawkins dance. They used to call it went back then day.
Speaker 2: They didn't in mynd school, but whatever, it was that concept. And this girl asked me out, and we went out and had a good time, and she was super attractive and like obviously she know she would have liked a follow up of how about Friday? We do so mcginner and I didn't. I didn't yet, I know, I know, And she ended up dating a friend of mine. I was like what what?
Speaker 1: I too have few regrets. But there was a girl who was a year older than me and just pretty and smart, and she came back for homecoming and said we should go to the whatever together and a party, and I'm like, yeah, okay, great, and I got hammered, just got hammered, and I was useless. I was and she fled. Yeah stupid idiot.
Speaker 2: Russian ride that I thought of.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, she's so pretty. So let me expand on that one briefly. Never be afraid to ask out the best looking girl in the room, and when she laughs at you, never be afraid to say, she's probably a lesbian.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: The next one, never turned down a breath mint speaks for itself. I don't need to bring one of these on our cruise, but I am because it's a nice cruise. A sport coat is worth a thousand words.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's still true or not.
Speaker 1: I don't either, but I often rather be the guy who's boy, he's a little fancy tonight than the only guy not well.
Speaker 2: I think in the modern world, especially in California, you're the dork who wears the sport coat, and I'm off in that person, cause cool guys wear like cool casual clothes.
Speaker 1: We got a bunch more so let's keep moving. Number twenty, Try your own eulogy never stop revising. Oh that's a big one. I'll let you got to play.
Speaker 2: You disappointed so many people.
Speaker 1: Number twenty one Thank a veteran. Then make it up to him. Ooh, saving private Ryan, Make it worth it, Make the country worth the sacrifice. Think about that as we approach our two hundred and fiftieth birthday. Yeah. Yeah. Number twenty two, I love this one. It brings a tear to my eye. Eat lunch with the new kid. Yeah yeah, reach out to that obviously lonely.
Speaker 2: You're doing it of your own free will. I'll never forget one school. I was a new kid at a lot of every schools. One school I went to, the teachers made people sit with me, and I knew they were making him sit with me, And that was worse than sitting alone, knowing the people had been forced against their will to sit with me.
Speaker 1: Oh, after writing an angry email, read it careful, then delete it. Certainly, don't hit send. If sending it is a good idea today, it'll still be a good idea tomorrow. I've lived by those words and it has helped me. Number twenty four. Ask your mom to play. She won't let you win.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: That is pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Moms or is it women in general or moms, But no, moms don't do that. They'll cross you and scrabble. Right, you're a child, Yeah, get better at it. Yeah, my mom did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Number twenty five manners maketh the man twenty six give credit, take the blame. That's good. I wish i'd learned that better and earlier. I've thought about that a lot. It's funny my daughter, who's doing really, really well and soon to be a legal eagle, she will go to her employer, she's doing internships right now, and she will say, I'm looking back on this, I think I screwed it up. Here's what I did, as opposed to well I didn't know, or you know, or well that's what somebody told me. She's like the opposite of that. Where'd you get that? Kid?
Speaker 2: Anyway, I work on that with my kids a lot. Don't blame somebody for this. This was your doing right right.
Speaker 1: And you know, I've told this story more than once. I observed it on the submarine that my brother was the executive officer on a guy screwed up and he said to the whole team, all right, what went wrong? And how do we fix it? And everybody says, I thought it was this, and it turns out to be that, like one hundred percent accountability, and I thought, wow, that's what that looks like, because otherwise, you know, there are hundreds of lives at stake and billions of dollars. So I thought that was cool. Give credit, take the blame. Twenty seven Stand up to bullies and protect those bullied came into that. Twenty eight Write down your dreams. Do they mean like the things your brain was doing while you slept, or like.
Speaker 2: A dog was chasing me and I couldn't run like those kind of dreams?
Speaker 1: Or do they mean some day I'd like to volunteer and help troubled youth, or you know, someday I'd like to retire to Florida. It doesn't make it.
Speaker 2: Some way, I'd like to raise money for those who can't run from dogs, the inexplicably dead legged let's see twenty nine. Always protect your siblings and your teammates.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Thirty be confident and humble at the same time. Again, that's your level five. Confident and humble because the two are absolutely compatible. Thirty one call and visit your parents off and they miss you.
Speaker 2: That brings a tear.
Speaker 1: And finally, thirty two, I was at that. You know, I'm better at it. Yeah, I have some regrets, but and I let my kids get away with a text on Father's Day, two of them. M hmm, maybe I'll guilt them for a while. Thirty two. Guilt your children when they disappoint you. No, thirty two is the healthiest relationships are those where you're a team, where you respect, protect and stand up for each other. That's good. That's good stuff. Those are I'm reposting now. These are your rules for sons.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Do you like that? Yeah, that's a if you want that list. We just retweeted it at the Armstrong and Getty Twitter account and I don't know, maybe Hanson can put a link in hot links Armstrong and Geddy dot com.
Speaker 2: Never played poker with a guy named Doc was another one of those ridiculous subs of things.
Speaker 1: I know, those that don't piss into the wind, and it's kind of different, it's practical.
Speaker 2: Oh geez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, don't don't play pool with a guy named Fats anything Fats.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Number thirty three never talk fuckers, shake hands out of urnal m Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Talk at the urinals A good one.
Speaker 1: Mind your business, Well, I guess that's it.
Speaker 2: Or always say water's cold and deep.