Speaker 1: Front off is unfiltered. It's our resident GM. Jim Bowden, It's the big week. It's the best week, trade deadline week.
Speaker 2: JB. Good to see you.
Speaker 1: But let's start with the closer market and how it's going to be impacted with Emmanuel class A.
Speaker 2: Off the list. Did you think that he was going to get traded. Oh, he was going to get traded, there's no doubt. And Chris Antoney, the president might turn off. The GM have been working six weeks at moving Emmanuel class A and they were in a really strong position as sellers, and they decided to sell, and that's the direction they were going, and class A was going to be the headliner at this trade deadline for them. And they were in a great position because we have so many of the contending teams and division leading teams that were focusing on high leverage back end relievers, the Phillies, the Mets, the Dodgers, the Seattle Mariners, the Detroit Tigers. It's just overwhelming the market. And they had one of the top two guys and they had been working very diligently to get it. So this is franchise changing. This is a huge blow for them because this was going to be an opportunity to really reset this organization by using him as trade bait here, and so it is just a huge setback.
Speaker 3: Jim, I don't know this, but I'm assuming you never had a guy go under investigation for gambling, maybe steroids, maybe something else gets suspended right for the trade deadline. But as a GM president of baseball offs, how do you flip it right away? Because, like you said, if they were so close to moving him, then all of a sudden he's off the table, right then do you think we'll move him in the off season? And how do you flip your organizational's thought process. Have you've been working on this, like you said, for six weeks.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think you can think about trading Class A in the off season with for them to put him on the administrative lead through August. There has to be significant evidence on this. And I hate to bring up John ta Porter in the NBA, but he's been banned for life and he pleaded guilty and these Major League Baseball is not going to do this unless there's overwhelming evidence. Now he deserves due process. So as a GM, it's a great question. Aj. You know, I do think you always have to pivot, right. I mean, like when the Yankees lost out on one Soda that they quickly pivoted to Max f Reid. I mean, it's not the end of the world, but you just lost a huge asset. You know, you could pivot now to Kate Smith. Whatever discussions you were having regarding Class A, you know you can now go back and offer Kate Smith instead. You're not going to get quite the same package. You're gonna have to take less, but you still have to go forward. You know, injuries happen in this game where you can have a star player and then all of a sudden, here's Tommy John surgery right before the deadline, and it happens. You mentioned pds. You could have a guy gets a PD suspension. So as a GM, you have to roll with it. You don't have a choice. It's unfortunate, it's disappointing, it's a punch in the belly, but you gotta pivot always and you have to move.
Speaker 1: On to the next So now let's look at the big picture of the reliever market.
Speaker 3: JB.
Speaker 1: What do you have for us? Who do you think is going to be the biggest name of that group? To move do you think that some of the multi year team control guys like a Duran or a Jacks is going to move versus the rentals of course like Oriyan Helsley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think it's going to be a very active market, just because that's the goal that these gms. When I talk to the gms and I ask what your goal is? Impact, high leverage, reliever is what you're hearing. I just went through the teams. I don't even think I remember to mention the Texas Rangers in that right with Seattle, and so that's the goal. And I think, you know, if you're a team in cell mode, you have a chance to win this trade deadline, right, you have a chance to really help rebuild your franchise by trading your back end guy. So I do expect the Twins to trade either Johann Durant or Griffin Jacks. I think Duran will go. I think Ryan Helsley has to go. If you're Saint Louis, you know John Mozelak stepping down, hind Bloom's going to take over. I think it would be foolish to hold on to him. You're not going to be able to extend him. I think Raziale Glacias gets moved. I think David Bednar gets moved. I think Seth Halverson of the Colorado Rockies gets moved. The Nationals are trying to move Kyle Finnegain, he probably gets moved. So yeah, and even Kenley Jansen of the Angels. You know, I didn't get a chance to talk to Perry manassion because he was ill over the weekend. But you know, I got to think we're there in the standings right now that they need to move on from Jansen too. So there's a lot of relievers out there. There's a huge buying market for them in particular, and I think it's pretty foolish really for those teams to hold on to them with the possible returns they're going to be able to get in terms of really good prospect returns.
Speaker 3: I love what you just said, Jim. I just have one question for you. When is it's just gonna be a last.
Speaker 2: Minute Flirriday Thursday?
Speaker 3: No, I know it's just gonna be a last minute flurry. Everyone's gonna wait, best offer, best offer. Nobody wants to jump on this now. And maybe hey, say you get one of these bullpen guys and they win you a game Tuesday or Wednesday instead of waiting till Thursday. Why why are we waiting till the last minute.
Speaker 1: Let's get this going people.
Speaker 2: No, I'd like it too, but I know I talked to several GMS yesterday and they said it's gonna be Thursday, and it's gonna be a flurry, and everyone's gonna pivot once the first guy goes. You know what the contending gms and presidents do right now is we have lined up our priority list to who we want. Right so, if we had Class A one, Duran two, Bennar three, Hellsley four, for example, I now have to take class off the board right So now before I before I make my legitimate final offer for Bennar and Helsley, I need to make sure that Derek Falve and the Twins tells me I can't get Durant. And I'm gonna tell Ben Sherrington who's guy? Ben Nara and Dramozev at Helsley, I want your guys. They're second and third on my list. I've got to see if I can get Duran first. So now the Minnesota Twins hold up, hold it up if they want to wait to Thursday to get their best offer, which you know, with class off the board, price just went up, right if you're selling, so you know, you probably gonna have to wait for Thursday morning or Thursday afternoon. And when the first guy goes and I didn't get them, I'm gonna go to my second guy and try to close that. And then if that doesn't work, I go to my third guy, and then the fourth guy and the fifth guy. There's not enough to go around, so that's why it gets delayed. You know. I think we'll have a trickle of trades, you know, today and tomorrow. I think we'll see some action Wednesday, but I think Thursday for the reliever market is when you're gonna get the blizzard, the tornado, and the hurricane all on one.
Speaker 1: Ft fam we have a special offer for you. If you go to surf shark dot com slash foul or use the code foul at checkout, get yourself four extra months of surf Shark VPN. It's a risk free, thirty day money back guarantee and you can see more information in our show notes. It's surf shark dot com slash foul and why should they check out surf SHARKVPN crafts.
Speaker 4: Well, this is a no brainer because I travel a lot and I'm online. I need to have that security, and as a former catcher I need someone else to catch my digital threats online. Surf sharks the place.
Speaker 1: It's time to take control of your online security. Try surf Shark today and enjoy their thirty day money back guarantee. Secure your digital world now. Visit the link below, it's in the notes. Start surfing securely until next time, Stay tuned and stay safe. Check out surf shark dot com slash vowel.
Speaker 4: Is there a team that's lined up or primed to get two of these guys you talk about like everybody's bidding everybody. There's so many guys that need high leverage relievers and there's a decent amount out there. Is there a team that's in line to get two of them?
Speaker 2: I think when we say two of them, I think the two would have to be Bednar and Dennis Santana, which isn't really two impact closers. That really wasn't your question, but I think I think that's possible with the Phillies or Mets. They've had a lot of discussions with the with the pirates regarding that. But to answer your question, no, I don't think you're going to see a team that gets Dran and Bedner or Helsley and Durant. I don't think that's gonna happen because I think you're gonna I think each team's gonna do better taking advantage of who's left. You know, I talked to Jerry Depoto, the president of the Seattle Mariners, yesterday, and you know, I asked him if he was done after making his great trade for Josh Naler, and he said, no, I mean, I'm going all in. I'm there, I'm going and he's got his owners willing to spend money at this deadline. He has a farm system that's literally loaded. There's no reason why he shouldn't finish a job, and as a former major league reliever himself, that's his priority. That being said, I asked him if he was still in on Suaz, expecting a no, and he said, if I can add impact at third base, I'll do that too. So I think Seattle is gonna be very, very fascinating here over the next couple of days here, without a doubt. And I also think the other two teams that are very intriguing right now are the Cubs and the Phillies. And I just bring them up, you guys, just because I'm just hearing the Cubs are going after every top starter out there, right Edward Cabrera and San die Al Contra in Miami, Mitch Keller in Pittsburgh, Mackenzie Gore in Washington, and that Jed Hoyer is obsessed with getting one and he's got enough in his system he gets snap his fingers and get a deal done there. And Dave Dobrowski, you get the sense. And we covered and watched Dave Debrowski win a world championship with the Florida Marlins and the Boston Red Sox. We saw him get the Tigers there, the Phillies there, but he really wants to get that world championship ring with the Phillies. And I feel like this is the year that he's gonna absolutely put that accelerator at full blast, get that back end reliever that he wants. And I believe he was in on Class A and Kwan. I thought there was a chance he gets both of them. I won't be surprised if he's the guy that ends up with duran Or and he's the guy that ends up with Lewis Robert. That wouldn't surprise me at all.
Speaker 3: By the way, Jim, somebody just said I laughed about Jerry Depoto making trades like him. Aj Preller, Dave Dombrowski.
Speaker 4: I mean it's like, you'll.
Speaker 3: Get a trade, you get a trade, you'll get a trade. Everyone gets a trade.
Speaker 2: Boom boom boom boom boom.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I mean the only one, Jed Hoyer, is a little more calculated, but the other ones are like, oh, you want this, Okay, we'll give you that. We'll give you that.
Speaker 1: We'll trade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll make trade just to make trade. Sometimes it feels like the Poto just made trades to make trades, just to say, hey, I tried guys with trades, but would take for them to have money.
Speaker 4: That's big news.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think he's been a little bit more measured though over the last year and a half, looking back, right, I think you're right. I think when he first went to Seattle, even with the Angels, he was wheeling and dealing left and right. I think he's learned to be a little bit more measured, going after specifically what he wants. I think he's worked really hard to build this team. I asked him yesterday, is this the best baseball team you've ever overseen? And he said yes. Remember he had that ninety eight win team with the Angels when he was GM. There had a lot of stars back then. But he says this is the best team he's had, and I would tend to agree with them. And I think when you look at it, you really want to finish the job when you're this close, because you know, if you're able to get a Duran or a bed Inard here for the back end of the bullpen, and if you were able to miraclely somehow get Suarez as well, you'd have as good a chance not only win the division, you'd have a good chance to win the World Series two with the pitching they have, And they're going to get Bryce Miller back soon, so they're going to be six starting pitchers deep if you include Logan Evans. So I think Depoto has grown with the job there. Like you know, it takes a long time to learn how to do this job right. It really does. And the more experience you have, the wiser you get, the less mistakes you make. And I think Jerry has turned the corner that way. But I totally understand understand where you're coming from there, JB.
Speaker 1: So we know a lot of these relievers are going to move. Do you feel the same way about the impact starters? And when I say impact starter, someone who you would trust in a playoff game, right, basically a top three guy. Do you think that Sandy al Contra actually will be moved McKenzie Gore, Mitch Keller, it sounded like over the weekend they were still deliberating about or I'm like, are they asked actually just trying to get the right price for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question, and my answer is I'm not sure. Okay, So what I'm being told by the Marlins camp is they are not going to trade al Contra for a discounted package. So if somebody wants to pay him as if he was the National League Cy Young Award winner like he was a few years ago, then they will trade him. But if no one's going to offer that package, then they're going to keep them. And they feel like they have figured out some things with him. They think he's gonna have a strong August and September, and they would prefer to wait until the offseason when teams understand that it costs two hundred million to go get a premium starter and then they'll see if they can get a better trade package there. So I'm not sure. I don't know if anyone's going to step up and pay that kind of price for all Contra. I mean, i'd ask you guys if you would. I mean, certainly his last start looked great, but with his inconsistencies all year and coming back from Tommy John, you know, sometimes it's the next year that you're better. So I would think it's more likely they trade Cabrera than all Contra at this point. Now, in terms of McKenzie, Gore is kind of a fascinating position. Right, So you have an interim GM in Mike de Bartolow and Washington, right, and that interim tag is huge, rights. It's in bright lights, right, with exclamation points all around the interim. So we know they're trying to move Mike Soroka and Kyle Finnigan, and they probably will, but they're not going to get a return that's gonna help the career. Mike the Bartolow, right, we're gonna look and say, okay, you got a solid mid level prospect for each of them. You know, nice going, and that's gonna be it, right, But what if what if he gets the huge package from the Cubs on Mackenzie Gore. What would that do for his career? If he walks into the owner and say, look at the package of these four guys that I can get for Gore, and this is what we think of these guys and how it will impact us going forward, that might allow him to get rid of that interim in front of the GM. Right, and they're going to hire a president of baseball operations, but perhaps let's just say they can get Eric Neander from Tampa to be the president of the Washington Nationals. He could keep to Bartolow in theory, as the GM or the owner could make that part of the deal. But I think the only way Mike de Bartolow probably gets to keep this is make a splash at the deadline and show people how good you are at what you do, and don't be afraid. The Nationals are not going to sign Mackenzie Gore long term. He's represented by Scott Bores and ownership is still upset about the Patrick Corbyn contract, the Steven Strasburg contract, the fact, they're still paying Max Schurz to to pitch for Toronto, So I kind of find it fascinating and look forward to seeing what happens there.
Speaker 3: By the way you asked me the question, I'll give you the answer, Jim, I would not trade for our contract. He's a number one because he hasn't pitched like it. And yes, I know he's cheap, but there's no guarantee he's going to bounce back. So no, I would not. But that's just me and I'm not a GM and I'm not My job's online, So I'm just saying, but let's move on to a different team. Let's move to a different things. Kansas City. Why is Kansas City buying? I mean, they're signing Lugo to an extension. Why did they bring in grit Chick if they're because I just don't see them being a team that can even if they sneak into the playoffs, can they do damage?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. They're buying because they don't have expiring contracts. They were in the playoffs last year. You know they're they're hoping to get Cole Reagan's back at some point. Noah Cameron's been really good in the rotation. If they traded Lugo, they weren't going to get the return that was going to be significant. And they quite frankly think that even if they don't win this year, they can bounce right back next year and be right back in it. And they you know, Luca has been really effective for them, and he the way he pitches, there's no reason to think he can't pitch this way for two or three more years. So I thought it was a really good move to sign him. Now. In terms of getting Gritchick and getting Adam Fraser, you know they're little moves, but you know, Gritchi can still hit left handed pitching Jack Caglion went down with a hamstring. You know he can fill in there. He's a major league fourth outfielder. Fraser can play different positions.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Look, we all want a team to improve by a yard or a foot or an inch, but sometimes a centimeter is makes you a little bit better. I think they would like to go bigger if they can. I think they would love to go get a big, powerful left fielder that can impact the middle of the lineup. That would be their goal. They'd like to use their catching depth in the minor leagues to do that. They haven't been able to do it. They're going to continue to try to do it, but without expiring contracts. And the fact that you're building around Bobby Witch Junior and mikel Garcia and Jack Caglione and Vinnie Pascantino. Salvador Perez is still performing and you still have two top catching prospects and Cardiage Jensen and Blake Mitchell coming. I understand where they are, you know, as Stevez is controllable, er seg is controllable. I think they need to keep adding and whether it for be this year or the next year or the year after. I kind of understand what they're trying to do here.
Speaker 4: Jamie, I gotta ask. We've talked about pitchers mostly. Some teams are getting some of the position players. Would you do because the Mets needa centerfielder Luis Robert Jr. For Mark Vento. Straight up.
Speaker 2: No, I'd hold on to Mark Vantos. I mean, I really like what I saw with Vano's last September and October, and I can't get that out of my head. I think I saw it, and I think we can bring that back, you know, Lewis Roberts kind of a polarizing guy. Right. We all love his tools. He's a plus defender in center field. He's got power, he's got speed. He hasn't hit for a couple of years. He's dealing, he's dealt with injuries. He's got a groin right now. You know, I would take a chance on him if it was the right spot to take a chance on him. I think it's risky, to be honest with you. You know, sometimes it doesn't look like he wants to play. You know, sometimes I don't know if is he kind of lacks a day's goal, not focused because he's been on the last place team the last several years, or because there's no help around the lineup to help him, so he ends up chasing pitches he normally wouldn't chase if there was more help around the lineup. Like I look at Robert and I would say to myself, if I were the Phillies, I would take a chance on him because I think if I could put his locker in between Schwarber and Harper, I think we'd have a chance of maximizing what he's capable of doing. It would be a good ballpark for him, putting him in a winning atmosphere and see what I can get. But I wouldn't give up too much to get him. I think, you know, if I were to give up a top ten prospect, probably one that's in the more six to ten range, that would probably make sense and then a throw in, But that would be about the extent of my interest.
Speaker 4: JB.
Speaker 3: If the White Sox go out mark Fiento's for Luis Strobert Jr. Chris Ketch would be doing backflips down Michigan Avenue tomorrow, trust me. I mean, I was just I was just in Chicago. Number one question is are we trading Louise Robert? I'm like, what can they get for him? Because of what you just said? So if he could get straight up, he would be.
Speaker 2: Doing back Oh, I know that's what That's why I said I wouldn't do Vento's for him.
Speaker 1: Also, right now, JB, you're not picking up the twenty mil option unless he picks it up for the last couple of months of the season. If you're a GM of almost any team right twenty.
Speaker 2: Mili, I'm not picking it up. No, no, right, So the value and I'm not king that much as I said, I'm just not too many questions with him.
Speaker 1: Last one, JB, I want, I'll do it for you. This little pat on the back the team. I think you've piped more than anyone else this year has just give it time. The Texas Rangers have won nine of ten games, so here they come. I want to get the Texas update. Astro's just got swept by the A's. The lead has gotten a little tight for them in the Al West. What do you have for us on the Rangers and the Astros over the next few days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's start with the Astros. I talked to Dana Brown, the general manager of the Astros, yesterday. He was very clear what he was looking for at the deadline. He wants a left handed hitter, preferably an infielder that could play second or third base, but he would take a left fielder because they can move all two bay back into second base. Some of the names that I'm hearing from opposing gms as possible fits include Ryan O'Hearn of the Orioles, Brandon Lao of the Tampa Bay Rays, Ozzy Albi's of the Atlanta Braves. Although my Atlanta sources tell me that they haven't even talked about. Albe's okay, So there's that. And then the other thing is he wants a game three starter for the playoffs. Those are the two goals. They feel great about Valdez and Hunter Brown pitching games one and two. They love having a bray You and Hater in the back end, and they're left handed and set up guys. He would love to get that game three starter. They are going to get Spencer Getti off the IL coming up pretty soon, but if he can go out there and get an upgrade there, that's what he would like to do. And look, they're gonna have to make moves. I'm amazed that they're still in first place with no your Don Alvarez, no Jeremy Pana, no esac paratus, Tucker playing in Chicago, Bregman playing in Boston. To think that they're there is amazing to me. But they're gonna have a hard time staying in first place because Seattle got way better getting Nailer and they've got all their pitchers healthy now. And the Rangers, as I said, they were my preseason pick to win the division. Texas Rangers had the best TV ERA in the sport. By half a run. That's how they pitch, and they got the grom and evolved. You pitch games one and two. I text with Chris Young and Brett Boone over the weekend, try to get a feel for where they are. Pretty clear for me what they're trying to do right now. They want a high end reliever like Claus, who's now off the board. That would be the first goal. The second goal is they really want a right handed hitter as well. I'll be surprised if see why doesn't get both of them.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, al Pacino told me her name drop. Okay, like you just did No, you gotta do it.
Speaker 2: You gotta do it this time of year. These are direct sort of.
Speaker 1: Credibility, and yeah, ac credibility exactly. It's front office sew on Sunday.
Speaker 3: By the way, Kyle Tucker would be a great left handed bet.
Speaker 4: And he.
Speaker 1: Looked great, and there look great.
Speaker 3: They love Smith and and he's like he has been great for him.
Speaker 1: So I mean, well, now he's.
Speaker 3: Hurt, I know, but he was great for He was great.
Speaker 1: And it was a it was a it was a good trade for both sides. Jbupplcatulator this week, all right, sounds good.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys,