Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the history of Curby Your Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well. Links available in the episode description. All Right, so, Jeff, here we are, and we ask today we have an extra extra extra special guest. And I can't believe it's taken three seasons of this for us.
Speaker 2: To get her on. But who's with us today? Sharl Hines Sharyl Hines.
Speaker 3: Who I always tell people about our show, and I've been on a lot of shows people care for each other, but there's I was probably the Church.
Speaker 2: Come, let's book it out. Let's not go there. We're not mentioned.
Speaker 4: It does bother me.
Speaker 3: But the point being is on our show, truly, there are so great love and affection with everyone.
Speaker 4: The crew too. But all of us have been together for a long time, long time.
Speaker 2: We've been together for so long.
Speaker 5: It's so funny to go back and watch these episodes. I know you were saying that, Susie and I I never I don't really watch.
Speaker 3: Well, we're watching every single every single one I.
Speaker 2: Want to tell Cheryl, and I told you this on set.
Speaker 1: I believe this past season when we shot season twelve, but rewatching you and Jeff and I have mentioned it through season one and two that we've been watching how amazing you were? You know, right, Jeff, and we go back and watch this episode and episode so fucking good.
Speaker 3: Well, there's some stuff in the in the last this episode, she's great, but in the last episode, I, yeah, you're just amazing.
Speaker 4: Are great, Cheryl?
Speaker 3: And by the way, we're kind of rediscovering how great you are.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: We always thought, yeah, she's great, but like watching it, we're going, wow, this show could not exist without you in terms of what you offer.
Speaker 4: Larry David's character could not exist.
Speaker 1: And as a matter of fact, Jeff, there was a season season eight. I believe that Cheryl was not on after they got the divorce, and Larry brought her back because the show needed her.
Speaker 4: Well, by the way, completely right, this show needed her. You know.
Speaker 3: He gets his mindset on something, Yeah, having nothing to do with Cheryl.
Speaker 4: But in terms of creative you know, the.
Speaker 2: Script stories, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Can't do with them.
Speaker 1: I think I think it had to do with that he got divorced in real life.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Therefore, he was going to get divorced on the show, but then he realized that Cheryl was not.
Speaker 3: And by the way, head which is in the future, is a stroke of Genie brilliant.
Speaker 5: It's so funny because then when you when you watch these old episodes and you see Ted, there have been little crumbs all along the way with Ted where he's.
Speaker 3: In the first season twice because in the restaurant season he's one of the investors.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, but while we have Cheryl before we get into the episode, I just want to get into Cheryl. What you remember about getting the part? Tell us about the whole history of that.
Speaker 2: Wo. Well, I just remember thousand or nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 5: I think it was nineteen ninety nine. U huh, I think I think yeah, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 6: No, No, it might have been the end of ninety eight, beginning of ninety Yeah, because the show aired in ninety nine, so I'm guessing it was ninety eight.
Speaker 5: Just yeah, yeah, Well, you know I was I was performing at the Groundley Theater.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We had Lorraine Nuban as one of my founders of the rollings.
Speaker 5: That's true. That's true. So I was, I was. I was actually teaching. I think I was teaching and performing at the Growlings at the time, as well as doing assistant work and so on. This this is how I recall it, You know what I mean. I was supposed to have an audition for Curb, and by the way, it wasn't called Curb at the time. It was just like a Larry D.
Speaker 3: No, we had no title because we came when not we Mine was supers Distracting, which I mentioned because Larry Larry were ordering soup and deli food and Larry, we go, Larry, do you want souper? Because no, soup is distracting? And then he showed us why. And so when we all gave a name for what I wanted to call the show, super is distracting. And then he came in the next Herpy Enthusiasm, which clearly is much better than soup is distracted.
Speaker 5: I like soup is distracting. You can still you is it for something? But I but I was at that time in my career, I was doing little Tiny I'm not going to call them guest stars. I'll call him under fives five lines in under mostly and but you know, sort of making my way up the ladder getting auditions for.
Speaker 2: Did you have an agent? Did you have an agent?
Speaker 5: Had an agent?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: I had.
Speaker 2: So that's so that's how you got the audition?
Speaker 5: O get you tell me, Joe.
Speaker 3: She got the audition because Marla recommended her. That's why I recommend Marla included her in the casting.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Carla is Marla Garland, who was really married to character and director.
Speaker 4: Worked with Alison Jones on lots of things.
Speaker 5: Anyhow, Marvel is amazing, by the way, Marlin is amazing. So it was Alison genius.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, yes, without a doubt.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna tell I'm sorry to intrude no, because I want to tell I think I talked about some when we did the first episode, because it was kind of remarkable. What I mean by that is we saw a lot of actresses, excellent actresses, actresses have gone on to be really famous. They were all good. There was not a bad one in the bunch. Cheryl came in and sat down and started doing the scenes with Larry. She was so contained and and like nothing phased her. And she also without tribe unflappable, which you would describe her character. She also in the audition was gave it to Larry without giving it to Larry, like she put him in his place. I don't know if there were even she even raised her voice.
Speaker 2: Yet she she just did it and then.
Speaker 3: Just said that's not going to work. And when she left the room, we all said done. There you go, that's it and it's true.
Speaker 2: And what do you remember, Cheryl.
Speaker 5: I remember, I didn't really know who Larry David was, you know. I knew that he had created Seinfeld and with Jerry and you know, and like I said, at that time, I was doing a lot of auditioning and all I remember Marla walking me down the hallway. I remember her saying, don't touch Larry. It's all going to be improvised. And I do not even know what I mean. Susie, you must have had this experience too, Like I had no idea what I'm even walking into. I don't know what the and by the way, it was a one hour special right at that time. Yes, yes, I didn't know anything. And she said, you know, you and Larry are married and you don't take his bullshit, and I was like, okay, And that was really all I got, and then I and then I walked in and I and I I remember shaking Larry's hand. I'm sure I shouldn't, I know, because he stuck his hand out first. I was like, oh, whoa, he thought his like you know, I thought he was going to be like ah, like a jerifob and.
Speaker 4: Right away.
Speaker 3: And and by the way back then and for the first first few seasons of the show, anyone who came to new audition was told not to touch him, and when they left the room. This is not even COVID times Larry would put the uh, you've seen the material material on his hands. He's gotten way better he does. I don't think he even does that anymore unless he's grossed out.
Speaker 4: But who knows who that was?
Speaker 5: You know, from experience of being in the room later watching people come in, Yes, I understand why somebody would say that, because in improv, since there's no script, it can go anywhere. And I remember somebody auditioning for a dentist or something, and the guy was about to go into Larry's mouth and Larry was like, uh, no, none, no, let's not do But I get it. It's you know, you have I don't know, twenty five people coming in. But yeah, I remember Larry saying, uh, all you need to know is I'm not eating chicken anymore. And we have a few kids. And I was like, okay, kids, you had kids, We had kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that was in the outward that was like that was a big thing on our kids' lives, like all that I swear remember where by the way, that was only the kids were only in there so he could say I swear on my children's lives. That was that was the only that they had children. There was no that's the ways mind works. There's no other reason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and so yeah, so they said, okay, we'll just start talking and you know, doing the scene. So Larry and I started talking and then he said what's for dinner? And I you know, rattled off some things like beans and potatoes and chicken kagetory and he said, I just told you I'm not eating chicken. I said, yeah, you don't have to eat it. And he said, well, why would you make it if you know I'm not eating chicken. I said, well, the rest of us to eat chicken, but you don't have to eat it.
Speaker 1: But it's an interesting thing because that right, there is the dynamic of the unflappability, not like, Okay, we're not eating chicken.
Speaker 2: If you're not eating we're eating it. But you do whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the way, And by the way, that's the guyishness too, of not being with a Jewish woman who would.
Speaker 2: Be either, what are you man, You're not eating chicken. You're eating chicken.
Speaker 3: And by the way, we just had it with Richard Conning when we recorded and Cheryl said she made turkey, and Richard goes, nah, I had that for lunch, yes, and Cheryl, not thrown by it, goes all right, I'll see what we can you know, do and you're off. But that's the thing about her on the show. She's unflappable.
Speaker 4: She really is. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I think the decision, the instinct that you had to say, well, we're eating chicken anyway, you don't have to have it just very matter of fact.
Speaker 2: I think that's the key right there of Biamic.
Speaker 4: Right there, for sure, that was what you meant.
Speaker 2: That got you the job. Cheryl.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that mompballed on. Don't even think that it didn't. That was maybe a moment of surprise for us of like, oh, what's going on here? You know, raiser like, oh shit, let's go all right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, I think you would always hope when you're in Larry's position or whatever, that somebody has bringing something into the part that you never thought of.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of having the.
Speaker 3: Last bonus stuff. JB did that when he came in for Leon. He did that too.
Speaker 4: Cheryl did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I did an audition. Larry just me, did you not?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Now, he just called me up and gave me the part.
Speaker 3: He said to me, you know what about Susie Esmond? I saw her on the roast. It was a Jerry Stellar roast, right.
Speaker 2: Susie and I had three years.
Speaker 3: And then he said, how about Susie for your wife? I said, fuck you, let's go. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I was so excited.
Speaker 5: That is amazing. Yeah, that's so amazing.
Speaker 1: Because you know, at the time, I mean, it was just I didn't have a contract.
Speaker 2: It was a day for you know what it was like in the beginning, we were just.
Speaker 1: Like the show a little players. I got even are let's do a show.
Speaker 2: You know, we'll be right back, stay tuned and we're back.
Speaker 5: If I remember it correctly that David I auditioned. I did that scene and then I was walking to the elevator and then somebody came and said, can you do one more scene with Larry? And I said yes, and Larry said, I just I just want to talk to you. I don't think you put enough milk in the kid's cereal bowl and I said, and I said, I cover the flakes, and he said, just just fill it up to the top. I said, no, I'm just I just cover the flakes, like that's all you need. And he goes, well, we can afford it. Just fill it up to the top. And I said, it's a waste of filk. And that was basically the scene. And then I think I got called later that day and that I got the job.
Speaker 4: But we were in the room.
Speaker 3: We were very excited that we had found the perfect wife.
Speaker 4: Okay, and like.
Speaker 3: Guy said, other actresses had chosen to raise their voice at Larry and it turned into this loud argument.
Speaker 4: You were the one.
Speaker 3: Who hit him boom boom, just by being unflappable, just like this is the way I do it. You don't like it tough, and you nailed it. You nailed it.
Speaker 2: You nailed it, and the rest is her history, yes the.
Speaker 4: Rest, yes, yes, yes, yes, all.
Speaker 1: Right, here we are season three, episode nine, Mary, Joseph and Larry, which I believe is a classic.
Speaker 5: It is as a classic episode.
Speaker 1: There's some lines in this and we started to share what we do as we go through the whole episode. We start out that Larry is in the doctor's office played by Jack Gallagher.
Speaker 3: Oh, by the way, stop being Larry's doctor. When we did the down the road the Neavardelos parking attendant thing, do we only do that we didn't know him? No, So Jack's like, why am I not? Because you and your wife treated Larry like crap? Why would he go back to you as a doctor. But here you see him so jolly and happy. He's terrific, and he's making fun of Larry going to the U two cuts.
Speaker 1: But first Larry is gagging. Yes, he has puba care stuck in his mouth. We're not going to even go we don't know how that happened.
Speaker 2: No way.
Speaker 3: By the way, I just want to say, and I'm not I don't want to imply Larry in this because it didn't come from Larry's personal experience.
Speaker 4: But it's a true story.
Speaker 1: Oh that's somebody true story. Yes, and that's why he's at the doctor, and the doctor then says, oh, I hear you went to the youtwo concert.
Speaker 2: Now we all know Larry is not the type to go to a UBB.
Speaker 3: But ald on the second here this is I was going to talk about this later because I have a scene where he's in my office and I laugh at him because he says he went to you too, because at that moment in time he was so unhip. Not that you two is necessarily so hip, but the hip enough, Yeah, they're hip enough. But back then, no, the idea of him being in a U two concert or even a Paul Simon concert, which we have.
Speaker 1: Letter later is no, that we already did that. That's where we wrote with Mary and Mary's mother, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he knows Paul Simon from the seventies whatever, but even then him in a concert period, let alone you Too. But what's amazing is, and this has been along the last two or three years of the show, is that he starts singing all day long, different songs, including you two, songs that you know, have no idea how he knows them exactly.
Speaker 2: He does He also sings a lot of show tunes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but those are the ones, you know, those are the ones you sing with him, You and Adam sing those wood men how I had him no show tunes, But nonetheless, yeah, he'll sing songs that you just go I would say to them, how do you know that?
Speaker 4: You know? In the future.
Speaker 3: Episode, maybe the next episode, I'm going to look on that playlist that they made of all the songs on Spilifi, and I will mention because I you know what, I'll live and look at a text I sent Larry of the songs.
Speaker 4: Where I go, How where?
Speaker 3: When?
Speaker 4: How could you possibly know this song?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: But yeah, so back then that was really funny.
Speaker 2: And and so the doctor says, I hear you went to a U concert.
Speaker 1: Larry wants to how do you know he's The doctor's secretary called Larry's house, and Larry's housekeeper told the secretary he went to a YouTube concert. Larry doesn't like the idea of people knowing where he is, and he starts. Then they go into this something stuck in my throat the pupa care and the doctor can either extract it, which would be painful, or just wait a few days and it'll flush itself out. It's far back, it's wrapped itself all around his youth.
Speaker 2: You love whatever it is.
Speaker 4: It's just so insane.
Speaker 1: And then that's done, and he comes home and there's Cheryl and she says, how is the doctor's appointment, and that they have to go get a tree before your parents get there.
Speaker 5: It's Christmas, Christmas, tree out.
Speaker 2: And Larry doesn't want a tree. It's Christmas.
Speaker 4: It's too weird.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: Come on, that is just too weird.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: You're gonna like it.
Speaker 2: You to have the tree in the house.
Speaker 3: It's bad luck.
Speaker 4: You know, my guy might not They think I'm switching or something.
Speaker 5: You know, you might not understand fine with it.
Speaker 1: So what I found unusual about this is that you being gentile.
Speaker 2: This is the first time you ever got a tree, is implied.
Speaker 5: I know, it's funny. I was thinking that too. I was thinking, oh, maybe we usually go to their house or something.
Speaker 3: We just by the way, I would guess that. And but by the way, Marla, she's half and half and she always wanted a tree. And I said, no, I've never had a tree. And then it occurred to me years later, after we split, I go to the house and she's got a tree. She didn't wait a minute, She's got a tree, the lights, the whole thing. I go, oh God, I've always loved Christmas trees. And then it occurred to me, I'm not religious. What was I thinking saying? No, I love Christmas lights. I love the trees well.
Speaker 2: The time of year and it's the Honika festival of lights.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't put up lights for the festival of lights. I don't get that.
Speaker 2: We just like them.
Speaker 4: I wish we did.
Speaker 3: We'd put up blue and white ones and people would drive by and go, Jew's mezuza hanging up.
Speaker 1: We have a tree because my husband is not Jewish, but I make sure to like.
Speaker 2: I don't like a five point star on the top.
Speaker 1: I have a dog on top of my tree, a dog in a sled on top of my tree.
Speaker 2: I can't want anything religious. I want the tree religious.
Speaker 4: So you have a tree. You've always since Jimmy.
Speaker 1: Had a tree, Yes, since Jimmy, not before Jimmy. But yeah, we always Christmas with kids.
Speaker 4: This is why you're so much smarter than I am.
Speaker 3: I will acknowledge that any day of the week, your instincts, everything about you.
Speaker 4: I love you. No, it's true.
Speaker 3: I love you so much, Susie. And who do I turn to whenever I need advice?
Speaker 1: You can I turn to Susie s Man. All right, I love you too, Jeff and Cheryl. This is a big love fest.
Speaker 2: Larry doesn't want to treat. He says, for Jews, it's bad luck, which is ridiculous. And then talking about tipping. You got it.
Speaker 1: He's going to leave you and go tip everybody and go tip at.
Speaker 2: The Entry Club. And he comes upon Dora the housekeeper.
Speaker 1: He sees Dora dusting and he's like, please don't tell people where I am.
Speaker 2: Just say I'm not home.
Speaker 1: And it's very awkward with Dora, and Larry tips her, and then he tips Carlos the gardener. You see how awkward he is with these people, very good gardening. He doesn't know how to behave And he says to Carlos, and this is old Larry from way back in the eighties, from his act at least gracious.
Speaker 4: Instead it is moving, very kind. You know what, you can use the two form with me. Two stead's a little formal for us. Why don't we use the two Formsh's heavy?
Speaker 2: That okay?
Speaker 7: Oh, see informal too, see between us.
Speaker 4: We don't need instead too at too.
Speaker 1: I feel we could use the two form with each other instead of his said that is, I feel we know each other, and that was an old bit for his act.
Speaker 4: I might not funny.
Speaker 3: I might also add here Larry David is so comfortable with all kinds of people and knows how to talk to people, any kind of people. People confuse the two and we wonder what's real, what's not. Larry is comfortable talking to any kind of person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he treats everybody the same.
Speaker 4: Yes he does.
Speaker 5: He does with himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yes, okay, not on the show, no show, But I feel it's.
Speaker 4: Important to let people know that.
Speaker 1: So then we cut to the after the Ustad and the two and he tips Carlos, and then they're in Jeff's office and Jeff says, I heard you went to YouTube last night, and you have a whole riff with him about it.
Speaker 3: But by the way, now my laughing thing is real. My laughing is real because the absurdity of him going to a You two concert, and I know as we sit there, he's done no research. He knows nothing about you too, nothing. He probably learned the bono thing, but then he spelled it for purpose of the scene.
Speaker 4: But he knows nothing. He couldn't. I mean, he sang later on you two songs, and I'm like, how do you know those? You know?
Speaker 1: But as we know this probably on show life, this probably scenario probably happened in real life where the housekeeper told somebody.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about me, laughing at him.
Speaker 1: Having gone to yes, then you guys have that whole riff, and he tells you about the Christmas tree, and then you two go off on the Jews with trees and why do we holiday hold on?
Speaker 4: Why do we need to horn out there? But then the thing that really made us furious two Jews who get a tree. It's a little unsettling, nothing worse than Jews with trees. At least your wife not Jewish. My wife's not Jewish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but those couples to Jews getting trees, they can't let them have their holiday.
Speaker 5: We have to hold in on their holiday.
Speaker 3: We have to get in on it, you know. And Larry's answer is, can't we Jews a couple having a tree? He goes, can't we just leave them alone with their holiday? Why do we have to get in on it. I thought that was hilarious.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back, stay tuned. Okay, we're back.
Speaker 1: And then the phone call. Susie's on her way up and we see you too. Get scrambling because Jeff told Susie that, oh, there was something on the phone bill about Jeff had a phone call when Susie was out of town at two o'clock in the morning, and it was a platonic friend. But ten o'clock is the cutoff for a platonic friend. Jeff told Susie that Cheryl and Larry had a fight and Larry slept over and Larry was speaking to the housekeeper at two am.
Speaker 2: You make everything so much worse, Jae.
Speaker 4: Okay, I do.
Speaker 3: But I believe, if I'm not mistaken, there's another one later on that I believe. I believe this is the first lie Larry and I have come up with in terms of in terms of you, Susie. I believe it's the first lie. Now we've done it together. We've lied to you about the dolls head and different things. Yeah, but I think this is the first out and out lie that we prepped based on my it's not a platonic friend.
Speaker 4: It's some some woman that I know that I'm probably having sex with.
Speaker 3: Uh Anyhow, I think this is the first I could be wrong. I probably am wrong, but nonetheless, this is my option.
Speaker 2: You know, it's all. It's all a blur to me.
Speaker 5: All I know all the seasons and the episodes, imaginations and the lies.
Speaker 2: These two.
Speaker 4: I think this is the first time.
Speaker 1: Okay, it could sweet, it could be. And then so I come up and I confront who are you calling it?
Speaker 2: Two ways?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, wait, I have another one. This is the first time that there's levels to your and Larry's relationship. You kiss him llow, You're very friendly until and then you change your tone and you leave.
Speaker 4: So I think this is the first time.
Speaker 2: You're lying. I say to both of you.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no no, it's not that. It's when you come in and test Larry. It's the first time and we see nuance, and also that there's maybe more to the to your relationship with Larry.
Speaker 4: All right, first time, right, okay?
Speaker 1: And then I accuse you both of lying. One of you is lying. You're lying, you're lying, but but but I don't know which one. I leave, and then you guys, are going to go to the club to do some tipping, even talk about you.
Speaker 4: We just go, all right, let's go to the clubs A.
Speaker 2: Fact of life, Jeff, I'm a fact of life.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you go to the club, do do do and and tipping tipping, a whole tipping montage.
Speaker 2: And then Larry thinks he tipped one guy twice.
Speaker 4: And and and it's just like I wrote it down. The tip.
Speaker 3: Larry, one of the key things and of the character. Never lets anything go, never let it go. So you tip the guy twice, You're rich, You're richest can be.
Speaker 4: Why I know.
Speaker 1: By the way, yeah, right, the guys making minimum way Jesus, ways let him have two teeps. What's the worst that could happen? And by the way, yeah, it's the principle. It's always the principal, by the.
Speaker 3: Way, real life. Larry David crazy generous, Yeah, just saying crazy.
Speaker 1: And the waiter denies that he was tipped twice. And then he says to me. They said to him, so you're.
Speaker 4: Saying I only tipped you once?
Speaker 7: Yes, Do you want your first tip back?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: Okay, I'd like my second tip back.
Speaker 4: There was no second tip.
Speaker 2: I'd like my second tiptown, which is so delightful, and then they have a stairdown.
Speaker 4: Okay, now I believe again that's the first stare down that we've had.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, I don't think so. Jeff seem to remember there was, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 3: No, because you know why, I think because I'm not sure. But as I watched the episode, there's three staredowns.
Speaker 4: We would never do that. Yeah, So I.
Speaker 3: Think he was establishing and then he thought, oh that's good and kept doing it. I think this is the first steer down.
Speaker 1: Just think there are listeners who are such aficionados that.
Speaker 4: They'll know wearing my name, Jeff Garland, you should know better.
Speaker 5: You don't know anything about this show.
Speaker 2: And then after that, no, we're just in it.
Speaker 1: And then after the staredown home to Cheryl and your parents are decorating the tree.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm up at this one right in here. Larry Hie, Mary Career, what do you think you like it?
Speaker 4: And a big isn't it? Yeah? It's a big one. Yeah, grab a ball.
Speaker 1: What do you remember about your parents, Cheryl? I mean there was Paul Dooley and Julie. There was Julie Payne. Yeah, they were just so funny.
Speaker 5: They they knew exactly what bothered Larry, you know, and just their mere existence, just them being so joyful and gleeful and putting the the ornaments on the tree. They knew as performers how how to do it much that would bother Larry for him to walk in and see that.
Speaker 1: A second city guy, right, I don't know, I don't know what her.
Speaker 3: I think it's an improv I'm pretty sure, but it's just terrific. But what I want to say about Paul Dooley was Paul Dooley also knew the exact moment to be upset with Larry to give Larry the evil eye. He knew exactly when, exactly because he never did it. Like later on this episode when he's leaving after Larry's choking and he's heard Larry choke numerous times, he goes, you ought to see somebody about that. Yeah, but it's the perfect moment, like that's he was just and there's a part in this thing I want to see where you go now, Susy And then all.
Speaker 1: Okay, see, so they start it's a huge tree. Larry's like it's a big one. He's like a nonplus that it's such the biggest thing I've ever seen. And then your mother says, what did you get, Cheryl, And Larry says, I'm thinking of giving home my grandfather's Talis which.
Speaker 4: And then Paul says, it's like a.
Speaker 1: Jewish scheller audience. What Talis says? They don't even know some of these people. Talis is a it's like a Jewish men wrap it around themselves when they're dobbining and praying.
Speaker 2: Well, why, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know either.
Speaker 3: Here's what I want to say about that line, was that came out in a one for fun. That came out like one for fun, which is probably a term other shows use, but on curb it means not only are you improvising, but go any direction you want, say anything you want, you know, stick to the story, but do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: He came up with it at the.
Speaker 3: End and the last take, and I came up to him and I said the thing I always say to him. If you don't do not use that, I will wrestle you. I will wrestle you hard to the ground. Because that was perfection. And that's one of the hardest laughs I ever had on the shows.
Speaker 2: Again and he says it's a grape stem.
Speaker 1: And then he goes into the kitchen and Cheryl and Becky you're baking, baking Christmas cookies, and Cheryl says to Larry, you know, Dora is upset you never wear the scarf she gave you.
Speaker 2: It's a red, itchy scarf. And Dora brought it up and.
Speaker 1: Brought up that Larry yelled at her for telling people where he goes, and he tipped Carlos twice as much as he tipped Dora. So Sheryl then suggests take Dora to lunch at the club, which is odd.
Speaker 2: But by the way, what I.
Speaker 3: Found it terribly odd, And the only the only purpose movie for him to do that is for uh we come in is you and her having a conversation behind Larry and I.
Speaker 4: That's the only purpose. There is no other purpose.
Speaker 1: But it's a very funny scene because well, first he confronts Carlos about the Christmas bonus and they have a stare down right, this is what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Second, ser not normal, so you know.
Speaker 1: And then he's at lunch with Dora at the club and there's awkward, awkward, awkward about you know, you're terrific with the soy milk. You replenish the soy milk, and you anticipate, and you're a great folder toilet paper.
Speaker 4: I've never seen cardboard. I mean, it's just so often.
Speaker 1: And then you see it just trying to come up with stuff, you know, and the sponge replacement not so hot.
Speaker 2: He has a little bit of a criticism.
Speaker 1: And uh, then the the the waiter that he accused of taking two tips come over finished.
Speaker 7: No, no okay, senorita, no gracias, no gla receival.
Speaker 4: See what was what was that all about.
Speaker 2: Christmas?
Speaker 1: M m hmm. I don't know what they saying because I don't speak Spanish. Hold on though, you know, well, I don't know. It's so obvious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they were saying something like, uh, he's a he doesn't pay me much, he doesn't pay me much.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 5: I was watching to somebody who who spokes to me to go ahead?
Speaker 2: Oh good, oh good?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what do you know?
Speaker 1: And then and then the Greens show up, Jeff and Susie and Sammy and sam and I see that he's with Dora, and I'm like, all right, I made a mistake. Maybe you did call Dora in the middle of the night, which I don't.
Speaker 2: That's a little touch of a little.
Speaker 5: You guys are friends, all right, I get it. Yeah, okay, just the.
Speaker 3: Way, it made complete sense to me that that that would. I love your makeups with Larry where you don't know that it's bullshit, like the ones where you really believe it kill me.
Speaker 4: And he, of course is mister magnanimous and that well, and you.
Speaker 1: You insulted me, You insulted my friend. You know, you get into a whole fucking thing. Yes, And then and then the you guys go off, and I say to Dora, you seem cyclic, such a lovely woman.
Speaker 2: I don't know why Cheryl doesn't like you.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm always getting the short end of the stick with you people.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: You and you and Jeff and Larry go into this is the greatest coincidence that we happened to walk into the club and blah blah blah blah blah, fix the whole lie, blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back, stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're back. And then Larry goes home and they're caroling. You're all carol well, you're not there. You're you're in the in the other room, and Becky and and your parents are caroling, Oh, come all ye faithful in all songs, and LD's gagging, and Cheryl asks to speak to Larry privately, and you tell him that Dora quit over what I Susie Green told her that Cheryl doesn't like her, and then you.
Speaker 2: The gig is up. The jig is up. It's the jig is up?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: What's the phrase? I think? Yeah, the ging is up.
Speaker 1: Because you spoke to Susie and told her that it's bullshit about Dora. He never left the house and was calling Dora at two am in the morning.
Speaker 2: So that's all done.
Speaker 5: And then while the parents are singing, they're all out there singing, singing, and Larry's eating cookies in milk.
Speaker 3: But I want to say something that he says earlier, which is another quality of this character. I didn't realize when we said leave well enough alone. It's also I always refer to it as the cost of doing business. In other words, you want to stay in a room in a hotel, the cost is you leave money in the hotel. Whatever it is you want to do it in life, it's like, these are your wife's parents. This is your wife's parents. It's Christmas time. It's not going to happen tomorrow. It's only happening. Yeah, but so let it go.
Speaker 5: Just call with it.
Speaker 3: It's called the cost of doing business. You got a wife, she's got parents. They're caroling. Cost of doing business. You have to hold your tongue. He doesn't hold his tongue.
Speaker 1: No, I love caroling, by the way, you ever care, I give it care carol every ear. Yes, I'm always QUI into people's houses for caroling, and I go and I enjoy it.
Speaker 4: Okay, Now are they caroling? Show tunes?
Speaker 2: No? They caroling?
Speaker 4: Okay, No, I know that.
Speaker 3: By the way, not only have I never caroled, I don't recall carollers ever coming to my house or being in the.
Speaker 2: Neighbor You lived in a Jewish neighborhood.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't, especially in Florida. No, I'm just saying I've never been around caroling, except in this episode, which.
Speaker 5: Did a delight, right, Cheryl, Yes, it is a delight.
Speaker 1: So next morning, Larry's asleep and we hear Cheryl calling from the bottom of the steps.
Speaker 8: Larry, Larry, what what happened.
Speaker 2: To the cookies? What the cookie?
Speaker 4: The cookies from from last night?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I ate them?
Speaker 2: You ate them?
Speaker 3: They were from the major scene there. You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary.
Speaker 2: I thought they were animal cookies.
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ is not her animal, all right. I thought he was a monkey.
Speaker 5: The Son of God was alone.
Speaker 2: We worked all day.
Speaker 5: On those cookies. I'm sorry you didn't see the Hey, the toasted coconut was hey the barn.
Speaker 4: I thought that that was all part of the zoo.
Speaker 2: What aren't we going to do on Christmas Day?
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'll make it up too.
Speaker 8: You don't make it up.
Speaker 5: To us, Larry, Okay, you just swallowed our Lord and Savior.
Speaker 9: I'll make it up.
Speaker 4: I'll go get another major.
Speaker 2: Scene where nothing's open. It's Christmas now.
Speaker 1: This scene is just one of the golden scenes.
Speaker 4: Of all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know they were for the manger scene. And Becky says, you ate the baby Jesus and mother Mary? Who came up with that line?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: Can I tell you something? You know this? This this episode was based on when I went home to Florida and I was with my family and they did make a Nativity scene out of cookies with the toasted coconut or hay, and everybody was walking around saying, nobody eat baby Jesus. And I called Larry and I said, you would die if you were here. And I told him was going on and I said, and of course you would eat baby Jesus and my family would go crazy. And he said that's crazy.
Speaker 2: What else is going on there? So?
Speaker 5: Uh and then I'll tell you, you know, as we get to it, what else I told him? But yeah, so he so. So I had said nobody you would eat baby Jesus and then so would we ask him about eating the cookies?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: He threw in Mary too, He ate baby Jesus and Mary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Larry, yes, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And if she thought it was a monkey, that is just so hilarious stupid.
Speaker 2: He thought it was a monkey. I thought, love hilarious.
Speaker 1: I thought they were animal cookies like animal crackers and your soup.
Speaker 2: And then Becky's Jesus Christ is not an animal. Becky's hilarious in this episode.
Speaker 4: Calsen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like, didn't you see the toasted coconut as the hey and Cheryl, we just see what she has to put up, and Becky says, you just swallowed our Lord and savior. I mean, it's just so bizarre. And people repeat these lines to me all the time. People remember these lines. And Larry says, I'll make it up to you. And again he's pissed you off, He's pissed the whole family up.
Speaker 4: And that's when Paul Dooley, as he has the thing in his throat as he's again, you ought to see somebody about that.
Speaker 2: Get that looked at.
Speaker 1: And then Larry's driving around in this scene I remember quite well, and he sees Susie throwing Jeff's close out the window. You line, piece of shit, and wait till I get my hands on that Larry David, that four eyed fuck, you lie and piece.
Speaker 2: Of ship out of my house, of my house, Oh you lie.
Speaker 6: And when'll I.
Speaker 2: Get my hands with that goddamn.
Speaker 1: Larry David, the four eyed fuck, I'll kill him now. What I remember about this scene is that, you know, Jenn and I have had many, many, many houses through the years. Yeah, that particular house. We got kicked out of that house because the neighbors complained about me cursing out, yelling and screaming and cursing.
Speaker 4: I don't remember that, but that makes sense.
Speaker 7: It does.
Speaker 5: Imagine having like a four year old and a seven year old.
Speaker 4: They're like David Well, by the way, that scene was so much fun to filmyeah for you, and.
Speaker 2: It was throwing the close out the window.
Speaker 4: And scream I'm going in circles. I have no idea.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious because there is no defeating Susie Green.
Speaker 4: There is. You're just in the ship that Jeff Well.
Speaker 1: Larry Yeah, And then so he Larry leaves after he hears we say, wait, don't I get my hands with that, Larry David that four I'd fuck I'll kill him. And Larry goes up straight and he comes upon in front of the church a real life Nativity scene going on, and he wants to rent the scene. He wants to rent the manger and that's the straw and the hay and the whole.
Speaker 2: Thing, and why don't I have here? I hate the Nativity scene? Did he say that?
Speaker 9: And he says, can you come to my house for a few hours when I was in Florida? And after I told him about the Nativity see the cookies, and he said, what else is.
Speaker 5: Going on down there and I said, well, you know, there are live Nativity scenes here and he said, I don't know what you're talking about. So people dress up like Mary and Joseph and they have a little baby and they stand in front of, you know, a house or a church. And he said, are you kidding me? I've never heard of this. And so I told him all of that, and so from that, Shill is the impetus for all of this. Yeah, this is this episode, because this episode was really like based on and.
Speaker 3: By the way, I didn't know this, Oh you did. I'm not surprised, but I didn't know this. And by the way, giving Larry ideas is and stuff like that has to be. You're just happen to be telling him a story. You can't pitch him the idea, yeah.
Speaker 2: That it's a show idea. You just tell him stuff.
Speaker 5: Told him this is a this is really funny the stuff that's happening here. And if you were here, it would be a ship show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically it would be.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you were married to Larry and he was like Tallahassee for Christmas, it would be very similar to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah erect yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he hires them with a donate, with a five hundred dollars donation to the church to come to the house and set up and a meal and also a meal and it'll get takeout.
Speaker 2: And Larry's kind of ogling Mary, you know which the way.
Speaker 3: By the way, is so strange, not only on the show, but who Larry really is. And I don't remember him ever uhling anybody on the show.
Speaker 2: But it worked for for the What's Not Happened? But I agree with you about that.
Speaker 1: He's not an No, he's not a creepy He's not a creepy guy. And then then they're back calm, and Larry's gagging away, just gag, gag gag, and.
Speaker 2: Joseph and all of that, and Mary and all of them and.
Speaker 1: The shepherds, and Larry's like hello to the shepherds, and hello Mary, and love Joseph.
Speaker 2: And they're setting up the whole thing, you know, Larry webs Hi Mary, Hi Mary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh, look and look at the little baby. Yes we all Jesus.
Speaker 5: All right, you got little Jesus and the whole trip.
Speaker 4: All right, very good.
Speaker 2: We'll shut right up up and let me know if you need anything. Very good, sir, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's sitting in the back smoking a cigar, which I've never seen.
Speaker 5: I know that was interesting to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: As they set up the major scene, then he asks about the food. You want Deli, you want Chinese? You want you know, you'll take both, He'll take both, the orange chicken.
Speaker 2: And he continues to gag, and he tells Joseph.
Speaker 1: He feels the need to tell Joseph that he's gagging because he has a pubic care stuck in his throat.
Speaker 2: We see Joseph is a bit taking am back.
Speaker 1: And then he sees Mary is up there putting together the major and she's reaching up and he's like admiring her breast and he says something like Mary's got quite the bod, you know, and yeah, Joey, between you.
Speaker 2: And me, yeah, you and Mary? Yeah anything, And then a fight ensues.
Speaker 1: A physical fight ensues, which I love when when he gets into physical fights, it's the most fun.
Speaker 2: And then lo and behold.
Speaker 1: Because he's having this physical fight, coughs up the pubic care.
Speaker 3: And down by the way he's like wait, hold on, and everyone stopped.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 5: I did like that moment too, where he was like hey and he's touching his throat and everybody does stop. It was so Buddy was like, I'm gonna try that in my next bite. Yes, it's just like, hey, hey, stop for a second.
Speaker 2: Look at this.
Speaker 1: You know what, I think that it's disarming. I guess I catches people off guard. And we cut to Cheryl and Becky and mom and dad all standing there watching this fiasco.
Speaker 2: Oh, wo puba care. It's out.
Speaker 1: Watching him cough up the pubic care and this entire fiasco of the manger and fighting with Joseph, and yeah, that's it. Yeah, that's it. It's a great episode. And Cheryl, we learned something new today, right, Jeff? What's that that Cheryl was the impetus for this whole Yeah, you know you ain't.
Speaker 2: The baby Jesus.
Speaker 4: No idea, No, yeah, no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, Cheryl, did you enjoy your time with us?
Speaker 2: I really did.
Speaker 5: I really did, And I appreciate that. Uh, you know, you guys, maybe go back and watch these two episodes.
Speaker 4: Hold time. We'll walk out one every episode and many more to do.
Speaker 3: And to me, I've not seen these since either the cut that I saw that I was said, or watching it on HBO I've not repeated watched any episode.
Speaker 4: Ever, so.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and three we shut this probably, I think probably around two thousand and three, so twenty.
Speaker 5: Years of twenty years ago, it is did you find it easy to watch?
Speaker 2: Cheryl?
Speaker 1: All I do is notice how fucking skinny I was. I was so skinny. I was a whale and I'm just by the way, and at the time, I didn't think I was so skinny.
Speaker 2: That's the body DYSMORPHI yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, if I may, Cheryl, yes, he may. You looked as beautiful as you did then, and you were Susie and I have been commenting how you are, how beautiful you are.
Speaker 4: But you guys, they still are knockdown gorgeous. That's all I want to say.
Speaker 3: And I wouldn't say you would say to any man, what about you and Cheryl and get in.
Speaker 4: The wrestling match?
Speaker 5: Well as that's very kind.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sure, thank you fans out there.
Speaker 1: Cheryl will be joining us for the next episode as well, so yes, we will see you next time. The opening, Yeah, the grand opening, and stay tuned. Cheryl Hines is going to.
Speaker 2: Be back.
Speaker 1: Story of Curb Your Enthusiasm is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.