Speaker 1: Get the hell out of my way. It's One More.
Speaker 2: Thing twice in one week. Katie led One More Thing podcast. But before we get to that, I'm asking, well, did you play anything in band, Katie?
Speaker 3: I wasn't in band, but I've played several instruments growing up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michael, do you ever do band in school?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I was just wondering last night as I was watching the Christmas concert. My son is a tuba player and he's not really into it, and a lot of the kids don't look like they're that into it, and a lot of Martin Urry, a lot of them have no talent for it. What do you think the benefit is of having kids be in band? I was in band and I liked it. And I play a musical instrument every single day. It's rare if I have a day. I mean today, as a sixty year old, I play something almost every single day. I love it. But what do you think the advantage is? What's in it for kids who are like they don't really have a talent for it and they're not really into it, but they do it anyway.
Speaker 4: I think there's an advantager. Science is rock solid that is great for your brain, helps you with your math skills. It gets all sorts of different parts of your brain working together in a way that's really healthful.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a good one. I'll use that on my kid. Anything else, do you think just like being well rounded or anything like that?
Speaker 4: Maybe? I don't know. I don't know. I try to avoid advocating stuff just because that's the way I rolled, right, Katie.
Speaker 1: Sorry, the chicks think it's hot when they get older.
Speaker 2: I tell Henry that all the time, because Henry does have some talent for music I can tell, and plays a little guitar. So, dude, this is gonna be the best thing you've ever done if you keep up with this.
Speaker 4: Although if all the girls are into the hippity hop music, is that still true? I don't know. I don't have a sense of that. Now.
Speaker 2: There's still plenty of singer songwriter stuff on the radio. Yeah, and the country's huge, of course. Yeah.
Speaker 4: To quote the great John Mellencamp, cut out all of that macho shit and learn how to play guitar.
Speaker 2: I've played that song before him. Yeah, what instruments did you play, Kadio? I did not know this.
Speaker 3: I played piano, violin flute, and then I taught myself guitar later on in.
Speaker 2: Life all past tense, Do you still play anything?
Speaker 3: I still play the guitar every now and then. I should play it more, but cool. Yeah, I can't not not play something. I need to every day or it makes me very unhappy. It's just I'm driven to it. For whatever reason.
Speaker 2: It does something for my brain or ability to check out. I found I can't think about anything else when I'm practicing music, so it just automatically makes me not think about anything.
Speaker 1: My dad does that love that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know. It's funny because I play scales and licks and stuff while I watch the news, because I frequently find the news mostly tedious and depressing. But if I'm concentrated, I realized I did not hear anything that was just said. It obliterates everything else, which is what's so healthy about it.
Speaker 2: I think John Mayer is a big proponent of sitting there with your guitar while you watch TV and just kind of going through things kind of oh really, yeah, gets in the back of your brain somehow.
Speaker 4: I wonder, Yeah, I would argue with that handsome devil.
Speaker 2: So what was your thing about? Get out of your way or whatever? Katie get the hell out of my way.
Speaker 4: I say that to my dog half a dozen times every single day.
Speaker 1: Just get out of the way.
Speaker 3: My sweet friend just broke her ankle because her dog got under her when she was going down some stairs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I've always assumed that because Baxter is half a herding dog, that that's part of it. But he will see where you're going and and walk over and stand there like he wants to heard you. And seriously, half a dozen times a day, I say, would you get the hell out of my way? Why did you stand this is a doorway, I say, looking at him.
Speaker 1: It's just so excited to do whatever you're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess he's a good fellow.
Speaker 3: Uh So my intro was about the other day at the grocery store. And I don't know why, but I hate little things more than I hate the grocery store.
Speaker 1: I hate going in there.
Speaker 3: I just like to go in, I know what I'm getting, get my stuff, get out.
Speaker 1: And so I'm going to get the coffee.
Speaker 3: And I noticed like a couple of people kind of standing as if they were waiting to get into the aisle, and I'm like, oh God, okay, of course of course this is happening on the aisle.
Speaker 1: I need to go down. The reason they were.
Speaker 3: Doing that is because this chick that was probably maybe late twenties at I kid you not, had a camera set up on a shopping cart and was doing a TikTok dance and no one was telling her to move.
Speaker 4: Wow, my god, shame I wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Oh I wish I think we're all figuring.
Speaker 4: God, why doesn't that happen to me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it would have.
Speaker 1: Been a different type of video if I was there.
Speaker 3: Oh well, and I'm sitting there and I'm watching her, and she didn't have the camera facing like we the group was not standing behind her.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: If I had been in shot, this would be a completely different broadcast. But it was away from us and just complete disregard for the fact. I mean, there was this sweet little old lady who was probably in her mid eighties, like just trying to get her tea, you know, and she's sitting there doing this stupid f and dance and finally.
Speaker 1: This big, burly cowboy dude went.
Speaker 4: Hey, move, good job, burly cowboy dude.
Speaker 3: But it was just I mean, I don't I don't understand. I've had a moment of like, where am I? How did I end up here?
Speaker 4: Where I am?
Speaker 3: Stopped at a grocery aisle because a woman is dancing to a camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see how a lot of kindly older people would think I need to stay out of their way. They're doing something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were three people just waiting for her to People lack the confidence to say what clearly needs to be said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's it's funny. I I was thinking what I was about to say is such a truism, But then I realized, No, I think the vast majority of the population, especially younger, younger people, have never heard this. I was gonna say, Katie, what is required of good people for evil to triumph? They're silence.
Speaker 1: That's all this requested.
Speaker 4: Would you don't let the evil of TikTok dancing clog the grocery aisles of our society? Say something? What would you have said, you dumb mother? No, I just excuse me, just pushed past.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was too deeply, too deep in the line to do that.
Speaker 3: But and it was also the fact that that this wasn't a teenager, which I mean, even if it was a teenager, it would have been annoying, but it would have been like, Okay, they're dumb. You know, this woman's frontal lobe is fully developed, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I would have just walked to whatever product I need to get and shop. I would have just shopped like I was normally gonna shop. And if we end up in the same space, excuse me, not lucky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, carts in my way, excuse me, excuse me, I gotta get by you.
Speaker 1: Thanks, right where I needed to be, of course, and I stood.
Speaker 3: I stood there like an ass I was like, I think it was because my brain didn't really understand what was happening.
Speaker 4: Right. That's funny, isn't that when that sort of thing happens in life that you think it's so weird you don't like have a I think psychologists would tell you you don't have a script for it, which is the psychological You walk into a church, for instance, if you've ever been in churches, you know how to act, you know what is where and roughly what's going on. If you go, like to a Catholic church as a Protestant, your script is a little bit off and you have to adjust it. And that sort of thing if you try to go down a grocery all if somebody's doing a TikTok dance, you don't really have a script for that. You got entirely ad lib the whole thing. And yeah, I get it. There's a moment of a right, wait a minute, this is so weird. What do we do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I totally had that, And well, now that I'm seasoned, I'll just knock her out next time.
Speaker 2: Speaking of TikTok, it's like when the guy did the splits and ate the the entire raw egg in front of that yes, exactly boiled egg. It's like I didn't I didn't react the way I wish I would have reacted because it was a little cognitive dissonance going on. Because I do not have a script for somebody doing the splits, getting lower and lower, pulling a full hard boiled egg out of their backpack, and then eating it in front of me.
Speaker 4: I didn't know what to do performance art. Yeah, I found out that that guy does that. That's his thing.
Speaker 2: That's his thing all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wonder how we.
Speaker 1: Came up with that.
Speaker 4: Here's what how many iterations he went through? You know, I'm gonna squat and uh and munch on a nice ripe slice of watermelon. No, that's not really good.
Speaker 2: It'll lay on my back and eat sardines.
Speaker 4: No better if I do splits and eat sardines. Now, that's still not think.
Speaker 2: I see that guy around town now, and then I think I wish he'd come over now because I got a bit of the jerk store calling her out of you. I mean, I got I'm ready to talk to him now, but he's gonna end up stalking the guy just hoping he does it again. Hey, buddy, how you doing. You got any like weird skills or anything.
Speaker 5: Katie, I'm surprised that you just didn't go pick up your product and just maybe put a couple of dance moves on video right along with her.
Speaker 1: You know, I join in and catch her again. I'll show her a dance move.
Speaker 4: Her Blewie. Well, I guess that's it.