Speaker 1: Women in Davis, California, attempting to have a public forum about whether boys should be allowed to compete in girls' sports shut down by a mad activist librarian. We'll talk to them.
Speaker 2: Because four hours. Simply, this is Armstrong and Getty extra large. For better or worse, every dust up now is on film. Somebody whips out their iPhone. In this case, it's for better.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'd say it's almost always for better, except when somebody gets ken boned or something like that. But yeah, I think exposing the lunacy and the just wrongness of some of the radical activists is absolutely valuable.
Speaker 3: So they attempted to have a meeting at the library in Davis, California. We're going to talk to a couple of the activists involved here in a little bit. They basically wanted to discuss the issue of biological men being allowed to compete in women's sports.
Speaker 1: Oh, you just misgendered somebody. You're violating state law.
Speaker 3: And how are we going to deal with that or not? And they don't like the idea of it happening, but so they reserve the room. Theyre at the library. They're going to have the discussion with the library and jumps in and tells them they're breaking the state lawn and shuts them down. Is how it goes. So we thought we'd talked to the people involved themselves.
Speaker 1: We have a couple of guests, Beth born In Alie Snyder, who were part of the francas at the Davis, California Library over. Well, well, let them explain what was over, because I think they could do a good job of explaining it. Beth is Davis, mother of two and chair of Moms for Liberty Yolo County California chapter, been fighting gender ideology in Davis public schools. And Ali Snyder, who is a supporter and a member of Standing for Women women's rights organization. Beth and Ali, good to be talking to you both.
Speaker 4: Yes, it'd great to be here.
Speaker 3: Hey, before we get to the event that got so much attention national attention over the weekend at the library, you have filed dozens of foyer requests with the local public school. I mean usually foyer requests are because you feel like the government's hiding something from you. Why'd you have to file all these foyas?
Speaker 5: You know, I realized there was quite a bit of material in the classroom in our school libraries, in our school surveys and just interactions between the administrators and teachers and principal that I wasn't aware of. And the only way I.
Speaker 4: Could get.
Speaker 5: A clear answer was by submitting a public record request or a FOYA.
Speaker 3: So if you just asked, well, I'll ask you, why didn't you just ask the teacher, hey, what are you teaching in this class? Or the principal or whatever.
Speaker 5: Well, I found out if you asked that question, they send you to the district office in downtown Davis, and at the office they'll share a binder with you that has some handouts of the class curriculum. But what it doesn't share with you is the videos and the slides that the kids are actually seeing in the classroom when they get to the sexuality and gender identity lessons. So I just started to realize that the information's not there.
Speaker 1: Interesting, would it be accurate to say that the schools are actively hiding what they're teaching from parents?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 3: It lays the groundwork fairly well for the schools in Davis, California, and a lot of places around the country. So what was the event you were trying to have at the Library over the weekend.
Speaker 5: The event was a public forum on the CIF California Interscholastics Federation policies around including transgender athletes in girls and boys sports. But specifically we were looking at the policies and guidelines given to girls on what they need to do to be inclusive towards these other trans athletes.
Speaker 1: Well, and you certainly have our permission to use terms like biological mail because that's what we're going to use. It's worth pointing out that we're talking about biological males in girls sports. There are precisely zero biological girls dominating men's sports. So having said that, you say it was an open forum where you just there to weigh different points of view on the topic.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's the purpose of the forum and how the agenda was laid out was to allow sort of just a public conversation and we were first going to hear from speakers who are well versed or kind of experts and what this means in the sports world.
Speaker 3: So you reserve the room at the library. How many people showed up?
Speaker 5: I believe the capacities for the room is ninety four and to me it looks like maybe seventy seventy five, and.
Speaker 3: It was mostly people who don't dig the idea of biological men competing in women's sports or was there a mixture or how would you break down the foreign against crowd?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say split. I would say maybe one third were tras short for transwrites activists and probably the other two thirds were there to listen and participate in the conversation.
Speaker 3: Well, at what point does the librarian come in and say you're breaking the law and to attempt to kick you out? How soon did that happen?
Speaker 4: So that happened about I would say maybe ten minutes prior to our event start time. So we were told by him that if any of the event organizers were to quote unquote misgender that they would be the but we would actually be shut down.
Speaker 1: So, if you were to refer to a biological male in girl sports, that would be misgendering them, right because they say, hey, I'm a girl.
Speaker 4: If we were to refer to a man or a boy as a man or a boy competing in girls and women's sports, that would be considered misgendering.
Speaker 3: And so he said that was breaking the law, but he didn't say he was going to call the police or anything. He's just going to shut down your event.
Speaker 4: Correct. He said that California state law recognizes gender identities as a protected class. And I believe, although, of course I can't speak to what he was thinking, and it wasn't articulated very well, but I believe the rationale that he was trying to express was that because these are considered protected characteristics, if we were not to refer to the language of preference, or refer to men and boys with their preferred pronouns, then it would be considered an act of disrespect. And because the library has a policy on respect, that I believe is what he was thinking would be the justification to shut us down. Again, I can't put words into his mouth. He did say it. It's all on video.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Again, I was going to mention that at what point clearly expressed.
Speaker 3: At what point did the phones come out and people started recording, Was that like right at the beginning.
Speaker 4: Well, we started recording him when we got about ten minutes prior to the event, when he dropped this on us. We recorded so that we could, you know, try to understand exactly what was being said. And that was with his permission, of course, and Also, though Beth had on her phone Kim Jones of Icons, because she was slated to be kind of one of our headline speakers because she's very well versed in Title nine and the erosion of women's rights to fair and safe sports and fair and safe single sex faces. So she was going to be speaking via zoom and so she wasn't physically present, but Beth brought her up on the phone so that she could try to speak with the library representative and explain to him that this is totally inappropriate, this policy, well.
Speaker 1: The idea that any representative of a local government on any level would be so wildly misguided as to suggest that you can't even discuss this in the abstract because that would be misgendering people and disrespectful. You know, as I put it on the radio show, he was so far from being right. If he had an electric card, you have to recharge it twice to get to the truth.
Speaker 2: It's just been.
Speaker 4: Really loved that line, in particular. I love my boys. When they were listening to the replay, we all got to chuckle as a family over that.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine how somebody becomes that misguided, But go ahead, well, I.
Speaker 4: Don't believe in the concept of mis gendering because this isn't my faith, This isn't an ideology that I, you know, ascribe to. So and I have a constitutional right under the First Amendment not to participate in somebody else's face and the language of their faith, and I don't. To me, it is not respectful to participate in somebody else's uh, you know, lie or delusion. I'm just going to be very frank and very blunt. That is not respectful. It's never respectful to lie to somebody or to affirm a lie. I don't think that's healthy for anyone. So to me, when I do not participate in this particular ideology, it's actually not an act of disrespect. It's an act of being truthful. And it's actually an act of being kind, because it is never kind to lie to somebody in distress.
Speaker 3: Well, did the whole topic just seems like the I mean, just like a textbook example of the sort of discourse you have to have and a functioning democracy in a public space. I mean, it just fits in with everything that you know we're about. And I realize you're trying to keep this, you know, on a high level of discourse, so you can so they don't have any like real ammunition to tear you down. But the idea of having the library, asking the library and where the anatomy section is in the library, and like walking over there and opening some books that I find quite hilarious, but I realized why you wouldn't want to do.
Speaker 4: Well, what's really unfortunate. And one of the things that Beth has discovered through her Freedom of Information Act request is that the actual biology textbooks that are given to our children in the state in public school are being rewritten to reflect this ideology and are being divorced from actual science. Right.
Speaker 1: Sure the difference between them that.
Speaker 4: Those anatomy books are actually no longer available in the library. It's quite possible that, but I haven't researched that.
Speaker 1: So one of the piece of audio that we played a couple of times was of was it one of you arguing or attempting to discuss with a local activist outside the library why you were doing what you're doing? That was the lady who said, please go away, Please go away, You're a biggest please go away.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who was that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So which one of you was that? Oh?
Speaker 4: It wasn't one of It wasn't bet or I, but it was somebody who came to the event.
Speaker 1: Okay, not important, not important. That's leading up to my actual question, which is I was struck the number of times whether the librarian or the activist lady on the sidewalk would refuse to make any argument. Their only argument was you're a bigot, and I'm right. You're a bigot, and I'm right. Was there anybody who was willing to engage in an exchange of ideas?
Speaker 4: There might have been people in the audience who are willing to engage in an exchange of ideas, but they were not allowed to. And that's one of the saddest parts of the violation of the First Amendment that we you know, that we saw on Sunday was it's not just your freedom to speak, but it's your freedom to listen. And there were people who came there that I don't know, and they were respectful, and they came with the intention to hear what we had to say, and they weren't able to and they certainly, you know, weren't able to really participate in that conversation. Uh So, it's quite possible that there were people who didn't have their minds made up yet about what was going on and just really wanted to be there with you know, open minds and curiosity. But unfortunately their freedom, their First Amendment rights were also were.
Speaker 3: They Were the police ever actually called or did the police ever actually show up?
Speaker 4: I believe I didn't see them, but I believe that the police. So after we were escorted from the library, we moved to the park right next door, just the grassy area that's adjacent, and some of us, you know, were able to give our speeches. Kim Jones was not able to, of course, because she couldn't zoom in. But uh, I believe while I was speaking, so my back was turned, someone said that the police did walk by. So I believe the police were called and the sheriffs were called as well, because the library is the can and I.
Speaker 3: Guess the My next question is, and so did anybody attempt to push forward this hole? You broke the state law thing? Have you been contacted by cops or lawyers or anybody about you have violated the law and need to be fined or jail or anything.
Speaker 4: I mean, we, to my knowledge, none of us were reprimanded or warned in.
Speaker 1: Such a fashion that was, of course you'll warrant. Good lord, I won't even dignify that proposition with an answer. Alie Snyder and Beth Borne standing up for women's rights, the First Amendment and the exchange of ideas. Good lord, it's a little frightening that it needs those principles need a defense at this point, but apparently they do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and keep us updated on how this whole thing goes out if there are any new wrinkles. Get ahold of us.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to share our story and for your defense of our constitution as well. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's it's our pleasure, believe me. Thanks good to talk to you both. You know, Jack, One thing occurred to me is the ladies we're talking, and that is the principle that compelled speech is every bit as verboten as restricted speech by the First Amendment. You cannot force somebody to call a man a woman, no matter what thinly adjudicated recently enacted cal Osha, you know policy the librarian was citing. You can't make somebody say that, forget it.
Speaker 3: So the cops didn't come and arrest them to stay law.
Speaker 1: What a joke.
Speaker 2: Extra large