Speaker 1: All media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody. Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode, So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, and welcome to it could happen here. It's a very special round table podcast today where we're going to discuss the United States ongoing campaign of bombing small boats in the Caribbean. I'm joined by Michael Palberg, an associate professor of political science at vir Junior Commonwealth University and a fellow at the Center for National Policy. Hi Michael, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Hi, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: And Andrew is also here. Listeners of the show will be familiar with Andrew's work. He joins very often. In this instance, Andrew is talking as someone who is from Trinidad and Tobago, which of course is very much being impacted by this. Hey Andrew, Hey, what's going on much? Well, let's talk about what's going on, because something quite constantial is going on. What's going on is that the United States is carrying out a campaign of drone strikes against small vessels in the Caribbean. As far as we know, there have been seven strikes. At least thirty two people have been killed, two people have been detained and then repatriated, and a number of vessels have been struck. The US it's bringing its war on terrorism logic to the Western hemisphere. Rate it's claiming that it's fighting narco terrorism, and it's claiming that these boats are for the most part carrying Venezuelan nationals coming out of Venezuela. We've heard from Colombia that one Colombian national has been killed, the two people who are detained, and Ecuadorian and Colombian to Trinidadian or Trinidad and Tobago nationals have been killed as well. And this has sparked something of a and what it was a war of words, now it seems to be a war of more than that, like tariffs and sanctions. And if Columbia has withdrawn their diplomats from DC as of today or yesterday, so it sparks significant political turmoil in the Western hemisphere. I think we have a really good panel to talk about that. So to begin with, I guess we should start, Michael, Can you explain their accusation here?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Is that these people are members of TRENDERRAA or potentially some other cartels that the Trump administration likes to talk about. We've talked about the prevalence of those groups, but can you explain very briefly what they are and I suppose the function that they have in Venezuela or what they're doing there versus what's been claimed that they're doing.
Speaker 4: So sure, I do research on organized crime in Latin America and ren de Aragua is a real organized criminal group in Venezuela and now all over Latin America. It is a street gang that started out as a prison gang. It does not primarily engage in international drug trafficking, moving large quantities of drugs across national borders or across oceans. It is primarily engaged in human trafficking.
Speaker 3: And extortion rackets.
Speaker 4: And it primarily follows the Venezuelan Niaskara people who have left Venezuela.
Speaker 3: And at this point it's an.
Speaker 4: Incredible twenty percent of the population over the last ten years of Maduro's presidency, so nearly eight million people wherever they go, and they take advantage of them, they extort them for money. They will also take money to move them across borders. But they're not a cartel in the way that we traditionally think about cartels like the Sinalo cartel or some of the Colombian cartels that that are engaged in international cocaine trafficking. And so it's highly unlikely that if the Drum administration is striking boats that they claim to be vessels transporting cocaine or Vensional, which is not made in Venezuela. It's primarily made in Mexico using precursor chemicals from China, and recently it's actually made the United States. Even that it's a tile synthetic drug, that's possible, and Venezuela, of course is not one of the countries where coca is grown and therefore cocaine comes from. If they are indeed striking drug boats, then they probably wouldn't be traded Atauga. And if they're striking boats with Brenda ar Aagua, they would be most likely striking migrant smuggling vessels, in which case the death count would likely be much higher.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we should talk about the other Caribbean nations. Now, I guess I want to talk about trendent Tobago, but we should probably cover Columbia first, right, because we've seen significant pushback from Petro, President of Columbia, and then we've recently seen the President of the United States accused Petro, who is again President of Columbia, of being a drug trafficker himself, which is a fairy ludicrous claim on the face of it. But let's talk about Petro because he has some background in opposition to organize crime and drug smuggling. Actually, right, like he's been in this for a while. Can you explain a little bit of his career and then his recent stances.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Petro is a mercurial figure in Columbia politics, has been for a long time. He is known for starting his career as a gorilla with a minor anti government guerrilla movement called the M nineteen Movement.
Speaker 3: Now, this is the.
Speaker 4: Movement which I don't know, maybe Western audiences are familiar with from the Netflix series Narcos, for having participated carried out the Palace of Justice siege at the Columbian Supreme Court, which was a major design during which the Clemian military went in guns blazing to rescue hostages of Supreme Court justices and other people just employed in the Palace of Justice, and most everyone died in a fire as a result. Petro was not involved in that operation as far as anyone knows. He was not involved in a violent comportations. And this organization, unlike the FARK and the LN never really got on the cocaine money train and therefore didn't last as long as those other organizations did. They did demobilize, they did turn to peaceful politics, and Petro began his political career at the local level Bogota and then eventually reached the presidency. So he is someone with a long political career and does have a constituency, does have a base, and he is the first truly left wing leader of Columbia, country that has been famously both ruled by the right and also very closely allied to the US. It's really the US's top out lie in Latin America, well in South America, at least specifically on security, given Plant Columbia and a long history of US giving as much as ten billion dollars over time to beef up Colombia's counterinsurgency and counter narcotics fights on our behalf.
Speaker 1: Yet too, he's a president of being a drug craft for is fairly ludicrous, like he's been, like even in his time as a senator, right, he was like I think he was sharing some like investigations or committees that looked to drug smuggling, if I remember correctly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so I would say Petro has been very critical of the War on Drugs approach generally, but he does still inherit this long standing deep relationship with the United States, and he's not exactly a full on peacenick when it comes to his own internal security. He did come it off as promising what he called total peace Possibal, a platform that was meant to put an end to all armed in certainties in the country by making a deal with the remaining combatant groups, namely the ELN, the dissident bar guerrillas, those who did not agree to the peace deal signed by Santos in twenty sixteen, and what's in different terms called the Klandel Gordfo or the AGC. The guy thamis self defense forces but one of the largest national narco paramilitary group that descends from the old AUC and he has failed in that and talks have broken off with those.
Speaker 3: Other armed groups.
Speaker 4: Colombia has gone back to war against them. The ELN has engaged in some pretty horrific violence, including a suicide car bombing the police barracks and the distant farc as well taking down a helicopter and a drone attack. So there has been a return to fairly high level, you know, armed insurgency in Colombia, even if it's nowhere near the level it was from the late nineties and early two thousands.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And all of this is happening in the Caribbean, which is not a vast ocean, right, It's not a massive area of space. And as Andrew and I were talking about before we recorded, this has impacted other Caribbean nations, nations which are not the target of the Trump administration's aggression but nonetheless are being subjected to it. Do you want to talk, Andrew, Trinida and Tobago's in a particularly interesting the right word, It's not a great situation, right, because Trinidadian people are being killed at least two indeed, and the government is apparently completely unconcerned with this.
Speaker 6: Yes, I suppose I should provide some context. So there have been seven strikes to date and the fifth strike results in the deaths of two fishermen, the village of Las Cuevas in Trinantobago being claimed among the victims. The governments Transpigo has not made a statement about it, and the families have not really been contacted or providing any sort of support. Now, for those who are listening who may not know where Trinantopago is, it is an independent twin island republic in the Caribbean, and it's actually geographically an extension of South America. There's a gulf that separates it, but it's about eleven kilometers away from Venezuela itself. And our elections that took place this year led to the removal of the incumbent party and the return of the United National Congress, the political party led by Camera Posada Prossessor, claiming the government in a sweep landslide. Really, but despite that landslide, it wasn't really the result of popular support for the United National Congress. It was more so the lack of support for the previous party, the People's National Movement, which lost I believe two hundred thousand or so of their usual voters just didn't show up to vote for them this election, So the opposition party came into power when the opposition party wasn't the opposition. They in many ways appeared to just oppose for opposing's sake. They were in power previously from twenty ten to twenty fifteen, but they were voted out due to, among other things, corruption, and since then the party has further evolved into a sort of personality cult centered around came Pusser Prossessor, and her politics have also evolved in that time to align further and further toward the United States position. She's become something of a Trump Stan you know. She was kind of towing his line on a lot of issues. She supported Guido Juan Guido as the president of Venezuela and actually went so far while she was an opposition leader to call on the United States to sanction Trinantobago after the vice President of Venezuela had made a visit to the country to meet with the then Prime Minister Keith Rowley. So she has made her pro Washington stands clear for a very long time and as she's come into power, she has divoted our alignment with our regional bloc, the Caribbean Community cara COM and their call for the Caribbean to remain a zone of peace, and emphasized her continued endorsement for the US military's deployment outside of Venezuela's territorial waters, but still very much belligerent in her approach to this issue. You know, we have gone from a state that was respected as a non aligned entity that was able to approach various diplomatic partners from the US to China, to the eute in Yale to Venezuela as well, and we've gone from that sort of diplomatic approach to a very clear pro West stance that has really alienated US from the rest of the region and really placed US almost in the position of being a satellite state for US policy. You know, she's been inviting the US military if they want to base the operations Auto Turinad. She has opened our doors to that. She has called for the US to kill them all violently extraditionally, and stated that she is perfectly aligned with what the US is doing in the region, despite its flagrant violations of international law.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as you said earlier, right that them in this instance includes at least two of her own citizens.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I will say that this sort of Zone of East designation for the Caribbean, it is something that I would this is my personal opinion and consider more of a hopeful ideal rather than a reality. You know, the trafficking that takes place in the region does visit a lot of violence upon people. Is you know, by no means in reality a zone of peace. Even before the US's actions in the region. However, though we may not fit that postcard perfect perception of you know, tropical paradise, it is still necessary, I think for us to stand in solidarity as a region, to speak with one voice when it comes to these issues, especially as a continued existence depends on the observation of international law. The respect for the UN Charter as small islands or safety is really in numbers.
Speaker 7: And for the.
Speaker 6: Prime Minister to deviate from that solidarity in such a blatant way, it's really quite sad. But it shouldn't come as a surprise because there have been efforts by the US to divide Cara con in the past. During his first term, Trump had pulled some Cara Con countries into the LIMA Group, which was a US promoted coalition of right wing governments that was push in for regime change in Venezuela. And he's not doing the same thing with trying to get some Caracon governments to facilitate his actions towards Venezuela. They approached Grenada recently to try and get Grenada's assistance in basing a satellite there on the island. And it's really ironic that they would approach Grenada, which is also quite close to Venezuela, because Grenada is famously one of the countries that the United States invaded in October of nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, I know. I say this a lot, but if you've listened to the song Washington Bullets by the Clash, and then you go to the border, you can kind of join up all the people from all the countries mentioned there and the outcome of US policy and what that does to migration over time. We should talk about the Venezuelan opposition. I guess, Michael, would you give I've done a pretty in depth discussion of Venezuela, a place where I have spent a decent amount of time, like I wanted to see that revolution myself when I was like nineteen and I was studying political science that I wanted to see what this like Pink Tide was about. And I have reported a lot on Venezuelan migrants people who are in new to the show. I guess the series I did from the Darien Gap would be where I would point you for my discussion of Venezuela and Venezuelan people. I still speak to people of Venezuela almost every day, but I think people could do myc with like a high level overview of the Venezuelan opposition. I guess we can talk about that about prize as well, which, despite what Donald Trump is saying, was not awarded to him this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the big news is that Maria Quina Machado, who is the leader of the Venezuelan opposition as we as we know it today, was award of the Nobel Prize, which was a bit of a surprise and from a very US centric analysis. One idea that has been floated is that the Nobel Committee didn't want to award Trump the prize, but thought that maybe awarding it to an ally of Trump would we be away to modify Trump also possibly to encourage.
Speaker 3: Him to take a more peaceful approach at a.
Speaker 4: Time that the US is threatening armed intervention in some way in Venezuela, whether that is a counternarcotics operation or more likely a regime change operation of some kind, even though it's very unclear how they would get to regime change from blowing up boats, Wrea can blowing up people.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should pause and talk about regime change actually, because I like it's such a problematic idea. Right we have attempted regime changes. My career for the last several years has been reporting on the United States failed attempts to facilitate regime chams all over the world, right, Like, it's not something we're very good at. I don't think that the United States is going to invade maybe do you think differently? But I think we probably agree that the United States is unlikely to do like an Iraq style invasion of Venezuela. Can you explain the like why I suppose just just for people who you know, think that that's what's happening in the Caribbean at the moment with this concentration of forces.
Speaker 4: Well, it's undlikely to happen, because well, it's a very large country and it would take a lot more troops than what are currently deployed, which is approaching ten thousand now. But that's actually that includes all sorts of logistical support. The actual fighting force, the Marine Expeditionary Unit is actually a much smaller I've lived in Panama as a kid, and I was not old enough to be there for the invasion, but I lived there some years after that. That's probably the closest analog to this, at least the way that the Trump administration is promoting this, which is to say, a regime change operation that is disguised as a counter narcotics operation. Famously, nor Diega, it was not a war. It was an arrest of a foreign leader who was indeed involved in drug trafficking. And we knew that because he was literally a CIA asset whose drug trafficking was being protected as long as he was allied with the US against Cuban backed rebel groups in Central America. But at some point later he became too much of embarrassment for the US. Was genuinely a brutal guy. Pulled off the torture murder of Google Spot offortile, all sorts of nasty things. But the big difference is at that time and when I lived there, the US had multiple military basis in Panama. Panama was the headquarters of the US Southern Command, the Western Hemisphere, headquarters.
Speaker 3: Of the Pentagon.
Speaker 4: We had thirteen thousand troops already there ready to go. I think they doubled that for the invasion, which was officially termed Operation Just Cause, usually called Operation Blue Spoon.
Speaker 3: But they had to come with the sex of your day.
Speaker 4: And of course Panama is a tiny country and Venezuela is twenty times larger than Panama.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's fuss, so it's very odd.
Speaker 4: It's obviously they have deployed many more troops and a much larger fleet than it's necessary for a counter narcotics operation. Incidentally, it's the US Coast Guard that carries out counter narcotics interdictions and does it very effectively, and incidentally does it with the cooperation of other countries which coordinate intelligence or just simply surveillance of suspicious ships or boats or planes and tip off the US Coast Guard. Even the Cuban government does that. In fact, it's the Coast Guard that is the US agency that has the best relationships with Cuba. It's oftentimes diplomacy kind of starts with the Coastguard's ties with Cuba. But anyway, that aside, it doesn't make sense from a counter narcotics standpoint, because look, if you actually wanted to break up a cartel, what do you do? I mean, if you are a prosecutor investigator, right, you capture the smugglers, you seize the cargo, the contraband, which is evidence. Then you try to flip them up for immunity for whoever your real targets are. Maybe your target is Maduro or someone else in the regime. But you can't do that when you kill everyone on the boat. Yeah, right, And I think the fact that in I think the latest boat strike, they didn't manage to kill everyone, and a couple of them got away, and then the US, rather than charge them with a crime, they just turned them back around. And you would think that if the US is so certain that the people on those boats are drug trafficking terrorists that they want to kill them, then you'd think they would have enough evidence to charge them to prosecute them of them. Apparently not. So this is all to say the idea that this is a counternarcocks operation doesn't hold up.
Speaker 3: Clearly.
Speaker 4: It is meant to be more of a regime change operation, but again I don't see how the one leads to the other. I believe that Trump thinks that if he just saber rattles a little bit and possibly tries some decapitation strikes the way that the US did on Soleimani and Iran, that's somehow the regime is going to collapse, and that does not make any sense. Maduro has surrounded himself with the security, a lot of it, including through Cuban advisors.
Speaker 8: He keeps his whereabouts very secret.
Speaker 4: Even if somehow they were to drone strike him, it's not as if the regime as a whole would all because it is an extremely militarized regime that is upheld by the armed forces who are not going to break with him. Because they have a hand in every lucrative business both legal and illegal, in Venezuela.
Speaker 3: They're not going to be.
Speaker 4: Paid off or not be swayed by a bounty that is currently what something like fifty million dollars. I mean, there are people around Madula that have made upwards of a billion dollars in oil rents. So it's not like you could pay off people to betray either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not. Nor is it like a cult of personality situation, like certainly not. Now, Java has had something of a sort of charismatic leadership role, but Madula is not that. So let's talk about the opposition in Venezuela in so much as like I guess if we go back to the election last year, right, that start with the election and explain to people what happened there and then the subsequent sort of avenues that are now open or the avenues of that opposition and is now exploring, if that's okay.
Speaker 4: But there was an election quote unquote that took place last year. It was broker largely by the US. The US under the my administration was pushing for some kind of negotiations between the opposition and Venezuelan government. They convinced enough people in the opposition to stand for elections under what was called the Barbados Agreement in twenty twenty three. And this was meant to be in exchange of partial lifting the sectoral sanctions that have been in place on Venezuela for a long time, in which the Trump administration. The first Trump administration really tightened in exchange for the Vodora government agreeing to stand for elections, and those elections happened last year. It was pretty clear from free electoral surveys and from exit polls and from the vote returns that were coming in at the time, that the opposite Cacada, was going to win by an enormous march, by a thirty five point margin. The candidate was officially in Mundo Gonzales, but he was candidates mostly because Murray Cornea and Matado, the now Nobel Prize laureate, was barred from running. So she for blessing to Gonzales to be basically her proxy, and people were more or less voting for both of them, so to speak. But both he and her are much more popular. Maduro, who by all accounts as an extremely unpopular leader, especially in contrast to as you said, Ugu Chavas, who, for all his faults, was a genuinely charismatic yeah leader, and you know, he did stand for elections and win them, you know, pretty convincingly.
Speaker 8: Incidentally, oil the.
Speaker 4: Price of oil was about one hundred dollars a barrel when he was president, and he was able to spend a lot on social programs, but that is sid Yeah, it helps. Madudo is pretty unpopular with this point. He is pretty widely seen as both a tyrant and also quite incompetent at managing basic state services. So he was going to lose unless he stole the what he did. The CNE the Vegetlain and Election Board announced that he had won with just fifty one percent of the vote, which is I have to say, I give him credit for being subtle. I expected them to announce that he won with like ninety nine percent of the vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a sad margin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, No one believed it, And I have to say one of my critiques of the bottom administration is that I think the whole thing was rather naive. I think they calculated that somehow Maduro would let himself be voted out of office. Maduro is we talked about under a bounty, has a bounty on his head. Many people in the US politics, of the US Republican in particular, have promised that they're going to send him to jail. So why would someone in that position, you know, give up power. I think, you know, he saw what happened to Kadafi and he's, you know, he doesn't want to be jailed or killed. And at the same time, the stick part of the Karen and Stick mechanism was that they would simply go back to the sanctions that existed before, which was called a snapback. And these those sanctions that the Venezuelan government has weathered for for many, many years, so it's not really that much of a disincentive. So anyway, everyone basically admits at this point that he stole the election, but what are you going to do about it? The opposition, for its part, has taken different approaches to how to confront him and is famously very divided. The Venezuelan opposition has never really been on the same page. They've never really had an uncontested leader. Bray CORNEYA Machado is about the closest they have had, but she herself really represents more one wing of the opposition, the more you might say hard line wing. For a long time, there was a hard line wing personify by Lopez, and there was a more I don't know if you call it a soft line or liberal or just more willing to talk to the regime wing led by Capriles.
Speaker 3: Who ran against Alto in the first election.
Speaker 4: And it's even within those factions there are there competing personality. It's a lot of it really is more personal and ideological. But Marie Corna Machado, she is on the right politically. She you know, styles herself after Margaret that she is also, I will give a credit for this, a very good organizer. She is famously kind of gone into communities that have historically voted with the Cha Vista left and convinced many people to leave that coalition. And also to have her credit, you know, I would say she is a very brave person. She has remained into the country at a time that many most opposition leaders, including Amerdo Gonzalez A, plied the country. Yeah, and she's been in hiding. She knows that the regime would arrest, if not kill her at its soonest opportunity. Yet she still shows up unannounced at at events, at rallies and makes speeches. So she has achieved this kind of mythic figure and this is something that obviously is only going to grow with the Nobel Prize. So then the question is what will this Nobel do. I think that one calculation is that it will simply keep her alive. You know, it'll be much harder for the material government to kill her if you know, if they would be killing an be laureate, So that may buy her a little bit more time.
Speaker 1: Try to best them on the first one to kill a novel laureate.
Speaker 4: I guess, right, right, yeah, But you know, will it bring peace? I'm not so sure, because Marik Gordon Machaalo has also been very closely allied and supportive of the Trump administration, and her side of the opposition has been encouraging the military strikes, backing sanctions, even though the sanctions both have done nothing to dislodge Maduro and also contribute to a great deal of suffering for the Venezuelan people. And I have to say, look, I'm not Venezuela. I have no right to give it the Venezuelan opposition advice. I would say that if they have tried multiple elections, you know, at least two of which have been stolen. If they have tried, you know, you might say more democratic means, and nothing has happened. I can understand why many people would think that a more radical approach is the only option left on the table. However, that approach hasn't done anything either, you know, sanctions have not to dislodge Maduro. Blowing up boats of possible drug traffickers, maybe just fishermen has not done anything.
Speaker 3: I think that nothing.
Speaker 4: Appears likely to lead to regime change. But I can understand the desperation of people living under what is broadly acknowledged to be an extremely repressive region.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just the grinding poverty of everyday life in Venezuela is so like I've heard so many stories from so many people of such a difficult existence there. I can understand people's desperation, Andrew, you know, it's spoken about it like the Gulf between the government of Trinidad and Tobago and the people of Trinidad and Tobago right now, And obviously the same is true in Venezuela.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It's not the opposition figures living in Spain who suffer when we have these sanctions, Right, it's not opposition can to get blown up when they go fishing. It's regular working class when it's way than people. Yeah, so do you want to talk about like, I'm not even sure what we can do by way of solidarity with these of these nations, But maybe you have some thoughts on that.
Speaker 6: I'm honestly at something of our loss myself, speaking from a small island, I think the US's superpower status is almost like into an eltriche horror. It feels like it's unfathomable how you could even go about approaching Other times, you don't try to remind myself that people have thought, and one you know, people have resisted, and one you know, currently there isn't that much going on.
Speaker 7: There are murmurs.
Speaker 6: They are momas of fair of disdain or disagreement, of distrust. In terms of grassroots effort, there's a lot still to be done.
Speaker 7: The leader of the move On for.
Speaker 6: Social Justice, which is a small a progressive political party in Toronto, Bago, it's a guy named David Abdullah, and he has been part of this assembly of Caribbean people who have been signing and issuing a declaration reasserting our desire for peace, and that has been signed by various progressive organizations, social movements and figures across the Caribbean. And there was also an effort last week Thursday, that's October sixteenth, to organize a regionwide day of action in defense of the Caribbean, and so different actions were taking place all over in fifteen countries. We had press conferences, we had state months, and we had pickets at sit in US embassys and public demonstrations. It was kind of in the middle of the day on a Thursday, so there wasn't that big of its out from Baraiso when I had gone, but it shows that there is and from the at least anecdotal experience, there is a desire to keep the US out of the situation, you know, despite the issues of the Venezuelan government, despite the issues of our own governments.
Speaker 7: We don't want intervention, you know.
Speaker 6: And right now, all we can really levy is our voices, you know, our woods and all we can really do. I think, besides protest, what is going on is prepare for the worst, to ensure that we have you know, sit and support systems in place in case, you know, push comes to shove.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty bleak, Michael. Do you have anything to add on how people can can be in solidarity with the people of Venezuela currently.
Speaker 4: Well, I've been calling for people broadly throughout the world to have solidarity more with people than with states, and certainly with veness world people as opposed to the Venezuelan state. I wrote something for the Center or International Policy about this, and listen, you know, it's not my place to police the left, so to speak. But you know, as someone speaking personally who comes from the labor movement, you know, comes from the Bernie Allied left, so to speak, you know, I do think it's been a little bit uncomfortable to observe how certain elements of the global left have have stood up for the Madu regime, or the very least been The criticism of it has been taboo. And I think a lot of that is a legacy of Tapas Chapas having this strong personal charisma, but also that he was willing to confront the United States the Bush administration at a time of the Iraq War, you know, especially low point in the US's global reputation. Also Venezuela's oil rants at the time, which we're financing a lot of not just social programs Venezuela, but a lot of financial largests to Allied states and movements around around the region. So a lot of left parties reflexively defended Maduro even as his repression and mismanagement just ramped up. I will say that's fading. You know, we were seeing this within Latin America. First of all, there's kind of a generational divide, and some of the older generational Latin American left, like Lula or like Petro, have not been overwhelmingly anti Maduru, but have expressed skepticism about the electoral results. But then there's a younger generation such as Borich and Chile, Chile and Idavolo and Guatemala who have been openly very critical about Duro and want to just not let him or his camp so to speak, define what it means to be on the left. And really the only countries that have unquestionably backed him at this point are Bolivia, Cuba, but also outside of the region, Russia, Iran, China. So I think that we should ask ourselves, like, who do we think is a more credible arbiter of progressive values? Is it Borich and Chile or is it Putin, you know, even not even the commonist part of Venezuela and no longer that's one of my favorite facts, as he has had their militants killed, you know, allegedly as well.
Speaker 8: So it's just it's not.
Speaker 4: Helpful to view the world for in this campus lens. You know, I think that if people, whether they identify as on the left or or whatever, want to show solidarity, I think it should be with the Venezuelan people, which means.
Speaker 8: Listening to voices within civil society.
Speaker 3: In Venezuela.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of NGOs, there are a lot of labor unions, there are a lot of human rights advocates that are not opposition parties, that are not running for office. They're not necessarily calling for regime change. Made them very critical of sanctions, but they have tried to push for better changes, you know, quality of life, you know, reforms that might lead to less repression, open up more space for civil society, and you know, those things are necessary when people are really living.
Speaker 3: Day by day, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think that if people on the left want to play the long game and understand care about the prospects of the future, they need to understand that the Maduers is the worst model for them to be associated with, you know. And this has already been taking place with campaigns, selectoral campaigns around Latin America where Cannon's on the right run against the boogeyman of you know, Chabbismo, of like of a Maduro model, and it makes sense. And if a lot of people on the left are very skeptical of Maria Croneamachado, like I have skeptism about some of for policy platforms of you know, privatization and and other neoliberal ideas, they also shouldn't be surprised if there's been a decade of people being told that this model of corruption, authoritarianism, state terror, criminal insecurity, that's what socialism is. Then people are gonna believe that, and then they're going to then their vote against whatever that is. And this model has provoked you know, the greatest refugee crisis, certainly in the region, eight million people.
Speaker 3: They're all carrying.
Speaker 4: With them stories about why they left right And so if there ever were to be democratic collections in Venezuela, it's pretty clear the country would turn to the right.
Speaker 3: And I don't think we should be surprised by that, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think we should also recognize that many of the things that Maludor embodies, these strong men politics, are things that are embodied by other strong men, not just on the left too.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: I would just point out that least according to his son, Trump has privately expressed a lot of admiration for Madudo. I read John Bolton's book, and you know, the former National Security Visor. You know, maybe he has a lot of reasons to lie, but you know, he did say that Trump privately expressed a lot of admirasy for Maludor being, in his words, too smart and too tough to be overthrown. You know, was really happy to see him sprounded by what he called all these good looking generals. He disparage one Guido calling him the Beto Rourke of Venezuela means you know, so, I think that there is there's something he said about strong men recognizing strong men, and a lot of these authoritarian lesson are not limited to one side of the ideological spectrum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. I find that tendency on the American left or and that sort of Internet left to be massively frustrating. Like as someone who went there to see the revolution, who went there to understand it, and who spent masses of time with Venezuelan people in the Darien Gap at the border in Venezuela, I'm very fond of Venezuelan people, and I think, yeah, our sort of direity should be with them, not with some strong man's state. We saw this in Syria as well, right Like, it is heartbreaking, genuinely heartbreaking to explain to people how someone who identifies as a leftist is also denying that their children were gassed by chemical weapons in Syria. Right This campus graze tendency, and the American lefts specifically, is incredibly toxic, and anybody who seriously considers themselves to be a lest it's massively undermining any credibility they have when they associate themselves with regimes which willingly murder their own people. I would like to see people stop doing that. Perhaps both of you could finish up by suggesting US coverage of this has not been great, right like, it tends to focus on the United States very much, and of Venezuela kind of appears as a monolithic entity. Turning down Tobago rarely gets any coverage in the US media. I did see I think Reuter's or AP had done a piece about how fishermen were elected to go out. I would like to see more of that kind of reporting. Perhaps both of you could suggest a couple of sources where people could read about this.
Speaker 6: Sure, at least on my end, I suggest looking into all local news. Now, it's not the best source in terms of actual interrogation of the issues and the ways in which some of the narratives just kind of get repeated uncritically, but you do get at least the occasional interview, the occasional quote from a non ust Department source. I would also suggest on Instagram there are a couple of pages that bring a more radical progressive voice from the Caribbean. There's a page called Vintage Caribbean and there's another page called Trinbiago for Palestine, and both of those have been doing a lot of coverage on this particular incident lately, So you can look through those as well if you want to get us sort of a grassroots steak on the situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't really have any go to sources on this.
Speaker 8: I would say that it's enough of an interaction once and that all.
Speaker 3: The major news sources you're covering it.
Speaker 4: So you can read really any news source in Latin America if you speak Spanish Portuguese and see how that recording is different. Also, incidentally, by in Spain, you know quotes on the side.
Speaker 3: They do pretty good reporting. Yeah, they've been doing pretty.
Speaker 4: Good reporting and there's lots of blogs as well, and you know, newsletters check out. I will say, just made this. I'm biased because I focus a lot on crime. The site Insight Crime is pretty good in terms of looking into specific criminal groups, liked Aragua and calling question if you know, if this really is a you know, it's something that is controlled by the puppet master from you know, Flores, you know, Likeldor and some of these, some of these narratives that are justifying this.
Speaker 3: I'd also just as.
Speaker 4: A recommendation, I would say, you know, maybe it should be a little bit skeptical too about the timing and the purposes of these things. I did point out in a piece that I wrote for the Center for National Policy. Then the first boat strike happened on the same day that the House Judiciary Committee was releasing a redacted number of files related to the Jeffrey Epstein case. You know, and I think that there are many reasons why this administration would I would like to use this confrontation as a conmane distraction from from other things that they would rather not be talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, leak, I think it's probably a reasonable conclusion. Give them where we're at. Where can people find both of you on if they want to follow you online on social media or find more of your writing. We'll start with you, Andrew.
Speaker 6: Shure, Well, you can find me on my YouTube channel YouTube dot com, slash Andrew's own, or you could just call my website for all my other links, Andrew sage dot org.
Speaker 4: How about you, Michael, I do have a website. You can look up my name and that should come up. I haven't updated it recently, I probably should. I'm also on Twitter x blue Sky as my name m.
Speaker 3: P A A R L B B r G, so you can look me up there.
Speaker 1: Great, Thank you very much.
Speaker 7: With you.
Speaker 9: Welcome to it up here a podcast where you good and not everything that is called co op is good.
Speaker 10: Sometimes they're not actually really co ops.
Speaker 9: I am your host, Mia Long, and today we are joined by the people struggling under the tyrannical fist of a co op, a thing that shouldn't be possible and yet somehow.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So we are talking today with Es and Finley, who are booksellers at the Seminary co Op in Chicago. And yeah, we are welcoming the union back to the show. And dear God, what a disaster.
Speaker 8: What a year it has been.
Speaker 11: Well, it's really great to be found. I wish we were back with slightly better news or yeah, since we were last here, certainly, Yeah, because when we last spoke, we had just sort of theatrically announced to our management that we were in an organized shop with the IWW and we were going to be bargaining with them for better wages and humane working conditions.
Speaker 12: For us all.
Speaker 11: And they were like, yeah, you're a union, we so recognize that, and then they have sat on their hands ever since.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so let's roll back all the way to the beginning and explain a little bit about what the Seminary co Op is for people who weren't here. How many years ago was that though?
Speaker 8: That must have been last year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, it was a while ago.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: So the Seminary co Op is a set of two bookstores in Hyde Park. The Seminary co Op Bookstore, which is a misnomer on two out of free counts, it's not a seminary anymore. It's not a co op anymore. It is still a bookstore, although it is a not for profit bookstore, which is a mysterious category of business, said that doesn't exist anywhere else, baffling.
Speaker 8: Yeah, briefly, just to enerject, I do think when I would announce events and sort of give this exact breakdown for audiences, like I said, not for profit bookstore whose mission is book selling, right, And when I was hired of, like about three months before we announced we were unionizing, the way it was put to me was other not for profit bookstores, they do a lot with like family literacy, or like specifically around women's issues. But that was just like an acknowledgement of the reality that bookstores don't make a whole lot of money, and what we are providing is a not for profit bookstore is just the browsing experience. We kept books on shelves for too long. It just it seemed like a like a really romantic idea of book selling that didn't have like a whole lot of legs underneath it, so to speak. Yeah, so it is nonsense, I would say, but that's me.
Speaker 9: It's just real library, Like we have this, it's called library, so they're.
Speaker 8: Really big book store. Just I don't know, it was vague, yeah.
Speaker 9: Baffling, baffling, yes, yeah, And then I guess. I guess the second part of it is like when they say it's a co op, what does that mean?
Speaker 11: It means truly and as conspeaks more that it was founded by Chicago Theological Seminary students and there was a reason for that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like they did want to buy corsebooks at the at the prices that retailers got them wholesale, and so the thought was, I forget their names, but we have the pictures of them. It was like a Cavanaugh or something. But these two guys just you know, if you were a student at Chicago Theological Seminary, we're even like a student at one of the other divinity seminaries nearby. You just put an amount of money and you were part of like you got your course book cheaper, you know, and under like a specific manager who came like a couple decades after that, Like then it really became like this is the neighborhood bookstore. This is part of, like as say, like the intellectual sort of cultural life of the university. But yeah, at one point it was a cooperative because like you were a member and you got your course books cheaper because you you know, had a certain amount of shares in the books. But yeah, it was a think smarter, not harder kind of scheme.
Speaker 11: And then when they dissolved the like ownership shares and stopped being a co op. That was twenty nineteen when they organized as this not for profit. It's not a five oh one C three, they don't have nonprofit status. It's this slightly different thing. And so one of the one things that has happened in the past year is we had an interim director who got us like basically a nonprofit sponsor who lends its five oh one C three status to other organizations and allows you to take text deductible donations.
Speaker 1: But like, up to that.
Speaker 11: Point, we couldn't do that because we were not a legitimate nonprofit. We were this other thing.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so since twenty nineteen it's been that, and then since twenty twenty four, it's been that plus Chicago's standalone unionized bookstore.
Speaker 11: For now, we're hoping that others follow in la they will.
Speaker 9: Yes, I feel like it is not a great sign of your business being a well run when you are doing a thing that like rookie activist campaigns do, when they're like, oh shit, we got a bunch of buddy, we need to borrow someone else's five O one three status, Like yeah, great, great job management, like but incredible stuff.
Speaker 8: And like, for me, part of what's been so like just mind boggling is like the not for profit bookstore who's messed this. Book selling does sort of give this, you know, if we're like a five oh one C three who often does it they don't turn a profit or what they do they reinvest it back into the operations they're doing. But like part of and we can talk more about this as we get into like the bargaining, but like store financials have been so obscured, and I hate from like truly truly hate from linguistic standpoint, just sort of this subtle like, oh, we must not be doing well because to me that feels like the rhetoric that really justifies the pack that I'm paid sixteen ninety an hour and I have a Master's of Divinity from the Seminary of the Seminary co Op.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, and it's and I think it's also worth noting that, like even from the perspective of capital, like all of the giant tech companies didn't make money for like decades and all those motherfuckers were walking off with like one hundred billion dollar payouts, you know, like they only ever started making money when they started like reeling in a bunch of government contracts for like web services and like defense contracts and shit. And it's like, I don't know, like this is this is I guess on topic, but it's just something that makes you really mad. Where people talk about like running the government like a business and then like you know, you get like the post office where it's like, oh, the post Office doesn't run a profit. It's like j you know, doesn't run a fucking profit. Uber literally has never brought a profit ever, not once, yes, no once, right, like no, like like I'm sorry, welcome, welcome to Welcome to fuck. Twenty twenty five. Capitalism like companies don't make profits. They either get contact from the government or their entire existence is either conting some venture capitalists dipshits out of all of their money, or it's like peer theel has decided that your like surveillance camera company is ideologically important to him taking over the world, so he's going to give you one billion dollars and it's like, oh, no, I'm sorry, Like our financials aren't good enough for you to pay you.
Speaker 10: It's like, motherfucker, Like have you seen the rest of capitalism?
Speaker 9: Like shit pay.
Speaker 8: Your workers, Like yeah, oh yeah, God damn well.
Speaker 11: We keep using that one meme over and over and then it is true, like we're trying to balance the budget.
Speaker 8: It's true.
Speaker 11: The candles drill, thank yeah, yeah, because our management is so infuriating. And they also in the year since we've been bargaining having an interim director and spent most of his tenure searching for an executive director to take over, that person is being paid one hundred and sixty thousand dollars a year to our knowledge, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 8: And that's the.
Speaker 11: Offer that we know of. We have yet to get his contract, even though we did make a formal information request for it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, which is fucked. And it's also like yeah, like every time these companies are like, oh, we don't have money, and it's like, okay, I can find like an unbelievable amount of money that you have given to someone to like to give a random, nonspecific example that has nothing to do with with with any company that is in any way related to this show.
Speaker 8: Live or Dead.
Speaker 9: By a board Ape Yacht Club NFT.
Speaker 8: Like this is like there's spent three hundred dollars on Google homes speakers for fifty seventh Street books and I'm like, wow, my having that three hundred dollars would change my life. But also like, you're paying that union busting lawyer thousands of dollars that you could be paid reverse. Yep, but that's that's capitalism.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they have enough money to make your lives miserable, but they apparently never have enough money to you know, like bake your lives not miserable, because they have to spend that money on making your lives miserable.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and it's so intentional because making us miserable means that they are wearing down the number of people that they have to deal with and making the people who are left so tired and so frustrated and so much less capable of fighting them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and that feels like just you know, fens leaving. We've also had a number of folks like our bargaining unit that the last time y'all spoke last year was like twenty five people. Now we're down to eleven and it's there. They've refused to hire anybody time yeah, of course, but they've been giving seasonal workers sort of like extra hours, and that is someone's got to start counting they have, like unless they work for ninety days, they don't have to. And because they're seasonal, you know, YadA YadA, they don't really join our union as kind of what I understand why they are not considered eligible. But it's like, the booksellers are the heart of the store.
Speaker 11: The classification of signal workers and particularly of event runners, has been a point of contention throughout negotiations this whole time, because obviously, from our perspective, we want anyone who's working in the store in any capacity to be involved in the union. We want them to not have this random scab force that they can deploy at will. Yeah, And that has always been the point that gets revisited over and over again. Just when we think we've gotten them locked into being union members, they'll come back with their latest count and that's like, actually, I think because of X, Y and b Z that we just changed, they're no longer eligible to join your union. But they did just hire I think three people that they were training at fifty seventh Street last week. But they've made no formal announcement to anyone that these people have been hired. Yeah, I only know that they were like in the stores because one of them came to the co op by mistake instead of fifty seventh Street and was like, oh, I'm one of the hires. Oh, and so it's unclear if those are the seasonal workers or if those are new hires.
Speaker 8: Those are i'll say, the most recent member, like part time, full time member of our staff who's not me. None of us knew she was hired, and she just came up took a book right off my cart and I was like, bitch, what but she But those were events, those were the seasonal workers at the store. The other day, like I worked one of the Chicago Humanities events with them, and it is like, yeah, then they just changed the qualification of who can be in the union.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's been very intentional, and it's been just like over and over they revisit and classified and less down.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we've done I think too. Since you last spoke, like a couple of work stoppages and then picketed outside of our store as well. But that I don't know in terms of like sort of regressive bargaining to attrition that we're seeing and that like they refuse to hire other people even though they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot. But just like our direct action has I think worked against what they're thinking, which is that we're tired and that we're not going to fight back and that we are overwhelmed and we don't know what we're doing. But there are a lot of folks who do have, you know, experience with these sort of direct actions, like a work stoppage, and I think it's why it's great that we're wildly's but also like I do kind of like on the work stoppage health flustered and not like upset, but just how flustered and yeah, just awkward management feels it's it's empowering for me. Yeah, but it's very much on purpose. Well, and I think that's one of these it's too just like a campaign. In the broad sense of continuing direct actions during negotiations is it is that chance to connect with your coworkers and re solidify that you're fighting for something intentional in the face of the fact that you will probably start being scheduled more sparsely, you will have fewer opportunities during the workday to talk to people and like that's just stuff that's going to happen while negotiations go on. But like making sure that you stay in touch with your union as best you can and like show up for all the direct things that you can helps you internally combat that, which is really helpful.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And I mean, like you know, like I sound like we ran into organizing cues. We spent like I think it was two years bargaining for our contract, and they didn't have the capacity to literally force half the workforce to quit.
Speaker 8: But like, oh, don't worry.
Speaker 11: They don't have the capacity to lose this many people are falling seas and they are how few people they have Yep.
Speaker 9: This whole thing is it's just like a really really common managerial tactic, yeah, which is just like we're going to make everything unlivable and try to get as many people as we can to quit and then just make everyone else's lives a living hell, which is like this is I think I've said this before, but it's like the extent to which the strategy is just the deliberate infliction of terror.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, and the strategy is just tank your business, which seems incredibly conintuitive from their perspective.
Speaker 8: And like there have been events for like it's been a book about like Karl Marx labor organizing, whether it's a history or like a like sociology book, and folks are like, I waited to buy this book here because it's the union bookstore, And like there is a way that us being a union bookstore could look given like that folks on our board are really progressive, people like Adam Gettichew, like State Senator Robert Peters, who's like running on a pretty pro labor background. Like us being unionized could be like we are already at tourist bookstore, like folks come from everywhere, or like this is such a famous bookstore. But like it does baffle me. It does make sense that it's a common tactic. But also there's so much that could work in their favor if they were not just like so committed to busting this union.
Speaker 9: We hold on sidebar Ale Gritch, she was my professor.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I talked to her today.
Speaker 12: Wait, she's just part of the management team.
Speaker 8: No no, no, there's okay, so this is part of it's just.
Speaker 9: Like a different thing. Okay, sorry, sorry, this is okay.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, this is This is where like us being a not for profit bookstore but not actually like having any legal standing as a not for profit gets a little confusing. And like Finn, you can probably speak more to how this has come up in the bargaining meeting. But when we I don't know if this was around before the cooperative was dissolved and shared are basically like worthless at that point. But there is a board of direct ors, one of whom like is very very famous and at least among the folks I know for effectively union investing employees at Experimental Station on sixty first in Blackstone when they try to unionize right. And also there are so many like Hyde Park progressives like RJP, like I Adam Getta, Chew eve Ewing as well, And these are people I really respect, but like because there's like this four cabinet, I think of folks who are have been in and out of bargaining meetings when we've had employees at other lead for unions who do have a connection to like for example, Robert Peters. It does very clear that like this governing board which does govern, they have terms, But we're also a retail outfit, you know, usually like a not for profit, the board of a not for profit would be helping with like an annual fundraising campaign. It's unclear entirely what the board does in a retail outfit other than, at least in my experience, like giving advice, writing emails to try to bust this union, you know, before we unionized, albeit I had a very short tenure before we had unionized. None of these people none of their names matter to me. But because like there's so much confusion about is management going to be representing folks in the bargaining meeting or is it going to be a board member representative. I've been just who is accountable to disclose what financial information and when or just any information and when? Like, yeah, Adam Adam Yettuchu is not one of our one of our bosses. But like, there is just a lot of confusion that I feel about what the board is responsible for in bargaining and with the manage and what management feels they're responsible for. And I can clear up a little bit of.
Speaker 11: That because what we were told when we first unionized and when the management team was kind of shifting and reorganizing itself around to the board, was the board is there primarily to advise and supervise and higher the executive director for the stores. And so there is a financial contribution, like they're all significant donors. That's part of the way that they secure their seats is making a large donation to the stores. But then, at least according to them, from that point forward, they have no managerial oversight over the operations of the store whatsoever. It is not their responsibility. They don't make any decisions about the budget, they don't get involved, they don't want to be involved. And they were embarrassed by having this attitude when previous management went off the rails and nearly drove the store into the ground by buying stock on credit cards. What But then it's a cool thing that we do not have into But that's.
Speaker 8: This is bonkers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 11: That is to say that somehow that experience did not act as a wig up call for this board of directors, and they said, what we will do is hire the next way man we can find and take our hands back off the wheel.
Speaker 9: Jesus Christ, is this an institution that people like it would be helpful to put pressure on or.
Speaker 11: That's what it's hard to say, because there's this and I think I talked about it the last time we were on the podcast. But there's this responsibility carousel between management who in a bargaining session. Because the other thing is because we can't tell how involved the board is, because they tell us that they're not involved at all, and then they make decisions and we hear about the decisions that they're making. We have asked repeatedly that they be involved in bargaining and that they send someone to represent them, or they like participate and have an opinion on the way that the stores are run, and they have repeatedly refused those invitations, requests, demands, et cetera.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it seems.
Speaker 11: Their involvement has been to recommend that our management hire Jenny Goltz to be their lawyer, and that as about as much as they want to do she is christ like.
Speaker 8: Two things too. Then I think there was supposed to be a board member president at the next bargaining meeting, but because our meeting was contingent on having the full financial information that we requested literally a month ago, and when we requested that information the next day a board member, the president of the board said Okay, we'll get this to you. We got it. I think you might know more about the timing of this fit like at the last possible minute we.
Speaker 11: Got at the day before the meeting, oh god, yeah, and it was half of what we asked for. Yeah, and then we said this is not what we requested and we cannot meet because we said we couldn't meet without this full information. They were like, we're disappointed that you can't do that, and we were.
Speaker 14: Like, yeah, shocking, Yeah, we are back.
Speaker 9: Let's get more formally into like what the marketing process has looked like. It sounds like it's been extremely chaotic. They've been not turning over a information. It's deeply unclear who's making decisions which all seem and I can say, this is my professional opinion, not good a technical anout life assessment. Yeah, this is why they pay me the mediocre books.
Speaker 11: Well, I think you were just so well informed, yes.
Speaker 8: Journalistic insight.
Speaker 11: Yeah. So the way that we set it up on our end when we entered into negotiations was we had a core team of three people who were going to be our core bargaining unit who would attend every meeting, and then we had a small team of like three more people including myself that were like alternates in case something got scheduled on one day that one of the core team couldn't be there, and we made sure that we would always schedule one person who was not negotiating to be at the meeting and take notes, so that like none of the people who were negotiating, you had.
Speaker 8: To do that at the same time.
Speaker 11: And when we first started negotiating, the management team was sending Dan Meyer, the interim director, and name Kanno, who's our deputy director, who is basically the one person on the management team who is not she's not supposed to be a direct supervisor. She has not actually let go of the people that she was supervising, but she's like in that middle space between like supervising management and like director management. But she has since stepped down from negotiations because of the way that she's been involved in the rest of store operations. She was like, I can't come to the table anymore. And so the latest meeting that has been rescheduled is going to be with Kevin Bendle, who's the new executive director, and then one other name that I forget who is either a board members as thinks, or I'm not sure well, she would be, but.
Speaker 8: It is it is a board member, and I think it is Tira Goldstein. Is her name Tia Goldstein?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Every so often in niotiating sessions, Dan or Nai would make some reference to like a financial decision that we were trying to bargain about being like not their choice and being something that would be up to the board, and we'd be like, so take it to the board, and then we'd be like, okay, and then we would never hear anything about it ever.
Speaker 9: Again, incredible, incredible work. Seems like a great tactic to never address anything you're supposed to be addressing.
Speaker 11: And so the way that we were negotiating, we were trying to come to terms on things that didn't affect the finances of the store first so that we could land some easy wins and like feel like we were making progress and then address the stuff that we expected to be thorny or later. But then what that ended up being as meetings went on and on was them asking us constantly like, but what is it that you guys really are like prioritizing, Like what is the thing that matters the most to you that like you have the least give on and We're like, it's wages. You know, it's wages. It's been wages this whole time. And they're like, but like, what if we were like asking you to give up all your benefits to get it's just.
Speaker 9: That you want.
Speaker 11: And we were like, Okay, that's not how negotiating works. And then, in an email that labeled it their best and final offer, which is language that they have yet to take back, they sent us a version of the contract bargaining agreement that we hey, let me just back up for a second. When we first started negotiating, they asked us to draft the entire first draft of the collective bargaining agreement ourselves, what which is incredible well standard, And we were like, that's fine because that gives us a leg up in terms of like studying the initial terms. I guess we'll do it, but like, yeah, incredibly nonstandards, super stupid, not a thing that we should have had to do.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I've never heard of that before.
Speaker 11: But so when we drafted it, we drafted a three year term collective bargaining agreement with a bunch of stuff about procedure and wages and benefits that we wanted done, and so zooming back forward to that best and final offer. Suddenly, the draft that they've sent us back of the collective bargaining moreement is a two year term, and up to this point, all of the offers that had gotten anything close to our ask on wages were in year three, and everything in year one and two was still like twenty five cents fifty cents increases. And so suddenly year three, which was always the only year that made any improvements for us, is gone, and you did not improve any other parts of the contract to make up for that unilateral decision.
Speaker 9: So that's just regressive bargaining.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 9: It is, which, by the way, okay, do you want to explain to our dear listeners what regressive bargaining is and why you're not allowed to do it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, regressive bargaining is is a dirty negotiation tactic where one side, without making any sort of give and take concessions like they should to balance a big move, just unilaterally decides to change a term, especially a large term like wages, contract term, et cetera. And so it is taking something that has been tentatively agreed upon and like in good faith taken as a part of the contract that will stand and acting it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and you are not allowed to do this is this is under the under the terms under the terms of the National Labor Relations Act, which you know, who knows. But by the time this episode goes out, there is a small chance it won't exist anymore. A bunch of provisions of it are under attacked right now.
Speaker 11: But like that is like, we have a few unfair labor practices filed with the NLRB since the terms of Negotia have been in effect, and they are not, in fact progressive bargaining charges, but issues of status quo where they're trying to change the way that they do scheduling, change the way that they do like absence discipline, which are topics that are covered in bargaining and should only be changed in bargaining while bargaining is active, but they're trying to change them and then say that these have been the policies all along, and so.
Speaker 9: God literally gaslighting, yeah, like actual, actual, straight up. You could pick up the gap the psychologue the psychology textbook plight to it, like oh.
Speaker 11: Yeah, just pick up that whole lamp well, and we have their words in writing of every step of the way where you can see the language change and be like, no, you are the person who said before that it was this other thing that was you. Yeah, so we filed unfair labor practice about those things, and you can in fact not track them anymore because since the government shut down, you can find a little PDF that explains, yep, that all ulps are going to be pending indefinitely, and that is all you can find.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it's also fun because Trump I legally fired one of the Democratic people on it, so I don't have a korum any on the board of the National RELATIONSIP. Boys, they don't have a korum anymore, which is a shit show. And snaking any NLRB like attempt to get anything done to the NLRB really annoying.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think the direct action has been helpful where like just that reality where just they just it would drive me crazy. And it is it is gaslighting. This is traumatizing. If her boyfriend does it to you, it's a red flag. But when your boss does it to you, you know, it's like, yeah, the public's fine with it. Business, Yeah, it's a cost of business.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: It is just the continuous, non stop onslaught of regressive bargaining tactics that like from the minute we started, despite the fact that like I was sitting next to the director when we say reunionizing, it was like a split second before she said, yep, we recognize it. And so our direct action at the workstoppage. I remember our first workstop, if you sat for half an hour, management was very cool with that. The second time we did it, we did it for an hour. We should have done our homework better because we didn't know that you can't, like like leaf live it on store property because the US Chicago is our landlord and kind of like not store property. But I put on my clerical collar. I put on a T shirt that had like given to Caesar what is Caesar's and also like a little footnote about you know, run me my money. You know, there's a lot obvious instruction from Jesus out of Luke that's like pay the work or their wages. But I was wearing my clerical car. I set up the PA and I and I was loud. There was a Hyde Park Harold reporter who you know took my comment who I remember him walking over to Nien and I think asking her for her comment. I had a bluetooth speaker that was Dan's right playing never never fight a man with a perm by Idol and I will not forget. I will not forget. The way our the deputy director approached me, she was like, Okay, this is fine, this is all fine. I just want to let you know this is fine, but can you please turn the music off? And it took me about twenty minutes to just turn the buttons down slowly, But like that we were reprimanded.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we got a very very email the next day Elevet illustrating what the consequences would be if we tried to do a similar action again in that manner.
Speaker 8: And so we picketed outside their store. That was the next direct action that we did. But like I do think our most impactful direct actions have been the ones that have been noisy, that have been incredibly visible. When we picketed last it was on the first day of classes. We sell like a lot of core core course books for the college at the university, and so there were students like that. We we were like, hey, do you have the bookseller who sold you that book to have a living wage? And students like nineteen year old are so outraged by the end of money I make as a grown person.
Speaker 11: I heard so much eat the rich that day from sillennials.
Speaker 8: Hell yeah, hell yeah. But it's it is clear that when the public is made aware of what's happening at a store that a lot of people love just so much, like it is a part of the community, and I think so much a part of people's even like my own before I work there, our experience of being in this fight knit bizarre community, and folks are upset like they and I think rightfully so, and that's just I think, really the beauty of direct action is not just that it empowers u f but it really just like in a sort of spectacle way, says this is what this is what they're doing. You want a place that you love to run this way and to treat people like this.
Speaker 11: So and I think they're really effective for that reason, especially because people are really like on our side when they talk to us, but they're also really surprised because like part of the instant recognition thing, part of the being cool with us having union buttons on the register. Part of all of that is the fact that management is benefiting from the illusion that they're on good.
Speaker 1: Terms with us.
Speaker 11: And so like one of the reasons that we held that picket was to be like, hey, just because they are not stopping us does not mean they have done anything to improve the material conditions that we have been organizing around this whole time.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, and also to be incredibly clear about this, like it's so obvious it has to actually directly be stated, which is that all of the things they are doing our union busting tactics, because their strategy here is to do a recognition and then go for the second place where unions was commonly collapse, which is once you're recognized as as a bargaining the second place they fail is getting the first contract, and that that's what they're really obviously trying to do. And yeah, the fact that people don't understand that they're just running a thing that like I'm trying to think of how to even disc it was like like that bookstore was like like it was treated as like something that was as an institution that was like part of the university. That's like the way it was like treated culturally was this is like our thing, and these people are running it into the ground because they don't want to pay their workers like enough money. To survive. It's is just hideous.
Speaker 11: And that's really all it comes down too when you look at what the facts on the ground are is the decisions that they are making are directly tied to the fact that they feel like they have no money, which is directly to the fact that they are paying the executive director too much, which is directly died to the fact that they want to have an excuse to not pay us anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's like, oh, wow, we don't have enough money because we're spending like one hundred and sixty thousand dollars on an executive director. Have you considered you can simply eliminate this entire expense by turning this into an actual co op. You could do it in like one day, and you suddenly would not have the administration expenses because those people wouldn't be there. You could do this yeah, really easily.
Speaker 11: Oh well, And as the like movement in and out of that position over the past year demonstrates, it has no effect on the operations of bookstore. The thing that has any effect on the operations of the bookstore is the fact that seven people have left, not been replaced, and all of their work has been redistributed across like increasingly siloed positions to the people who are left so that you have no help on your particular assigned task that is now yours and yours alone, and you just feel terrible in your little hole by yourself.
Speaker 9: Which there's is something like I know for a fact that like multiple people on that board know what a speed up is, Like, that's a speed up. I know for a fact that you know what this.
Speaker 11: Is, and most of them who know what it is have written against them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just kind of like expanding a bit, like or the staff at the Museum of Science and Industry has also unionized, and they were outside of their store, you know, threatening to strike and so like I loved on the picket line, like I had a sign that said fire Jenny, and I went to explain to the Yeah, I want to explain to the UI employee who Jenny was. The UI employee who worked at the Graduate Students United at U Chicago, and she went, oh, I know who Jenny is, and that's I don't know. Just yeah, it's sick that like somebody can make their living making my life worse than a that's that's capitalism. And also be like I she has been involved that lawyer and like a number of like she busting you, trying to bust unions at U Chicago on successfully and also representing Northwestern in a case where one of their employees accused them of sexual harassment and discrimination. You know. So it's like you're you're really this this is this is the person that you're working with. This is the tool that you're using, you know, is it who you would rather pay? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah. And it's also it's like that that's the thing where this this whole metaphor of like the boss acting as an abusive partner is suddenly getting very literal in terms of who they're who are the people that they are employing do for their other ship, which is defending those people. Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's almost like there's a structural connection between management and patriarchy. Wow, who could possibly who could possibly have done this?
Speaker 11: Between systems of abuse?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Like who could possibly have written about this? Check's notes?
Speaker 10: Looks at the books that were written by the members of the board. Yeah, like, yeah, I'm so mad about this, Like we'll nicking after Empire is really good?
Speaker 8: It is? Yeah, And I like I don't know how much I can like hold those individual board members responsible, and it seems like so many of them are like just now finding out about it. Yeah, that's some abuse. One on one is to make sure that the person that you are exploiting, that you were, you know, taking advantage of that, they don't feel like they can say to people who could help them, this is what's happening to me, and that like the people who would be sympathetic, could you know, go and take the initiative to help folks. And ungrateful that we have a meeting with Robert Peters coming up soon. It was supposed to happen that has not yet, and I appreciate how dedicated he is and his staff is to making sure that our union sits down and talks with him.
Speaker 11: But it is also like there's a deep irony for him accepting an award from another union and rescheduling a meeting with.
Speaker 9: Ourskay do it?
Speaker 8: No, no, no, no, no, it's because we have Jacob, I always say it incorrectly asked me. Yeah, the BigInt. But that's also like part of the other great community support. Like I mentioned that UE employee, but you know, there are other union employees who just because they love the bookstore so much, will show up to every outreach event that we have. He was one of the first people to have a yard sign, and it's funny he was right now to this guy from my church who also has a been no sign, and that's why I found out they were neighbors. Yeah, it's really cute. But like, I'm proud that we're Wobbley's because there is a really long tradition of you know, being in Chicago, a lot of radical organizing that I think fits our spirit and also like the seminary co op spirit. It has been hard that we don't have a lot of resources towards bargaining, but like we're good at direct action and we also have I'll give it the ask Me Award. I'll give it a pass because Jacob's been so and other community members have been so helpful and just giving their time and their skills and their expertise.
Speaker 11: So yeah, yeah, the MSI Union, the grad Students' Union in particular, have been incredible allies to us and have been they were huge like presences on our picket because like, because we did an open store running picket, we had only about half of our actual union members available because everyone else had to be on desks in the stores keeping them running. And so the majority of the people who were like collecting signatures to get Jenny Goltz fired and otherwise improve our wardening conditions were people from other unions who were just out there being wonderful, awesome, solid argy with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So my first picket line, I mean, I think it makes its last episode, but my first picket line ever was the grad student picket line in twenty nineteen. Those those the first time I was ever want a picket and it rocks. Yeah, and yeah, it makes it really happy to see that the whole base of sort of union organizing from that has like you know, it's it's this thing that like I remember when this was like you know, like I was there and like one of the big pushes everyone. They finally won, and it's like they're still around helping people because workers workers fucking fight together and.
Speaker 11: Well and then they'll always be like, hey, one thing that we know about Jenny GOLs is she likes to lose, and.
Speaker 8: We're like, thank thank you. Then it's not that she likes to use the quote, is she's very good at losing which that's true. Even better. Yeah, like what you were saying about GSU, I don't remember what I think, Like two thousand and eight. Two thousand and seven was like when they said we starting organizing for unionizing the graduate students. I had a roommate who was like a twelve year PhD student who was around when that shit started. You can just count hanging out with your wife in Australia as a field research, I guess.
Speaker 12: But.
Speaker 8: Well, she's just doing postdocs. You're just hanging out. But we had a baby yesterday anyway. Oh but yeah, like I was around he came back to finish his PhD like about the time, like when the contract was ratified, and I just with what is it, sixteen seventeen months of bargaining no contract in the name of my blessed Lord Jesus Christ. Like Jesus Christ. GSU has had, like has such a wealth of knowledge because they've been through just like heaps of bullshit and it's years.
Speaker 9: It's like, okay, I will like you the the fucking gs you think they had a whole thing when I was there, like in like twenty nineteen, the whole the whole thing was that and like Jenuay. This is like one of the most admirable things I've ever seen a union do, which was they refused to take their their case because the university was refusing to recognize them, and they they refused to take their case to the NLRB because they knew that if they did it, there was there was a pretty good chance that the old Trump n l RB was going to like bust every single graduate school union in the country. So instead of trying to win for themselves, they fucking didn't do it and just like fought on picket lines instead, and it fucking rocked. It was case like that they rock. They're they're great, Like yeah, yeah, shout out, shout outs shout out to GSU.
Speaker 8: Yeah, shout out to GSU.
Speaker 11: Well, And they are a great, great, great example to us all in terms of like how to persist on a fight through attrition, because one of the things that like you try so hard as a management team to do is just wait until ever and gets tired and leaves. And like it seems like Grand Students would be the perfect population just just wait out because they rotate out constantly. But like just the way that they have managed to maintain energy through generations and generations of organizers and get it over the line at long Lives is so encouraging.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's the thing I remember from I think the last place I read into it was like one of Mike Duncan's things about the French Revolution.
Speaker 9: But like one of the things he talked about was like the ways in which part of what caused the French Revolution was that like they spent a whole bunch of time teaching all of these kids these like incredibly radical enlightenment ideas and then they were like, wait, we live in like the most absolute water key that has ever existed. What the fuck?
Speaker 11: I hate this?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, Like wait, hold on, And it's like there is obviously always sort of contradictions between like the number of people I have seen write books about labor resistance and then like go bust unions is pretty large. But there's a reason why everyone from like Pinochet through like the Trump administration, I mean back through like the original Nazis. It's like one of the first places and you know, I mean like the Greek riot plays had this thing where it was like the first place you go when there's discontent is like you must stop the workers from from allying with the students. You must do.
Speaker 3: This or you're fucked.
Speaker 11: Yeah, But the workers and the students love each other. They're all kissing. Yeah, And we're the.
Speaker 8: Same person sometimes, you know. Yeah, so often.
Speaker 9: Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 8: All my comrades a kiss on the forehead, y ah.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And I think like that is I think like the filment of all of this is like the way that one campaign winning can transform the lives of everyone else around you is so astonishing. And I've seen it happen in so many places where like one shop wins and suddenly everyone else is like, it could be us, It could be us.
Speaker 8: Yes, it's possible. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, and I think that we're trying to capitalize on that and trying to make sure that we can be the next person to like capitalize on GSU's win and help ms I do the same. But like, as much as we have really suffered from the at the table bargaining uhiating process and been really sort of beaten down in the past year on that battleground, I think we have learned so much about the allies that surround us and the people who like want to do more than just email our board members, and we're like, we don't know what else you can do because we don't know who makes these decisions for you to yell at. But we have so many people who have like signed up for an email list with us, so many people who are like ready to go as soon as we figure out what we need them to do.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and that's.
Speaker 11: Been really encouraging and bolstering, while management continues to like just not acknowledge us when they feel too cornered. Like they simply never spoke of the picket because it happened outside and so they couldn't be mad about it, so they didn't have to tell us all about it, but they also just didn't speak of it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is Chicago is a motherfucking union town, and that's what. Yeah, I'll admit I'm angry when I go into work. They don't care enough to get the mold and the dust remediated, you know, and the DUTs, and I can't really breathe when I go into work. And I also don't have health insurance right, oh my god, Well, I do have health insurance, but I have to pay for like, you know, I have to pay for my own premiums through a marketplace there. Yeah, and that's that's not really affordable. And like, as frustrated as I am like coming into work, it is it's the people you know, And I think that's for a lot of folks who have stayed at the bookstore. I don't know how much you relate to this then, like it has been like other booksellers, the folks that we've gotten to know through the community, who like who do make a difference at least for me and whether or not I stay. Oh, absolutely, yeah, this is a good fight.
Speaker 11: The union crew that we have is a incredibly worthwhile team to be on. It is a group of people that I feel very solid standing shoulder to shoulder with. I think that is, like, without question, one of the things that like keeps the stores a place that you can work, even if it's not a good.
Speaker 8: Place to work right now.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, And honestly, I think that would have sustained me a lot longer if you were different, you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 10: Wait, okay, sorry, could ripole back to the part where you can't breathe because there's I feel like because there's bolds I feel like you just dropped that very quickly.
Speaker 9: It was like, oh, yeah, that's like a normal bar of the work.
Speaker 4: What the thought.
Speaker 11: Well, so for a very long time you've been allowed to request that you only work at the co op because there is a known mode problem at fifty seventh Street that they can't afford to or can't get the landlord to ameliorate. But there is also at least in our lung experience some sort of growth issue in the venting at the seminary.
Speaker 8: Come up, Yeah, it's it's very dusty at beast. And like I when I wear like like a kN ninety five for a little bit, like that helps a little. I take like five bena drill usually and then that je's that kind of that kind of helps. And that's more just I think, like I mean not more. That is in part like my own health. But if I had the resources too be able to take care of my health and get what I need, maybe I could withstand the mold and the dust and the ducks a little bit easier.
Speaker 9: But like that well, but also like like as an employer, it is your responsibility to not have your workplace poison your employees, Like I'm sorry, like that part yeah, yeah, yeah, that also make them pay for the medical care to treat medical problems that they're having because you'd poison them with mold.
Speaker 10: Like what that's yeah, what Jesus Christ, it's so evil.
Speaker 11: Well, and we had a couple of pauses in our first draft of the Collective Bardnaining Agreement that included demands regarding mold remediation at fifty seventh Street, and I do believe th clauses have been struck in subsequent round.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I guess that's a thing that you could ask people to do, which is go ask people to complain about the fucking mold. Like it seems like a thing you could do.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's another direct action. I also noticed, like people in the store, like they cough when they enter. Yeah, you know, and like, oh god, this is where the like the snake eats its own tail. The wheel turns inside the fucking wheel, right, because like maybe, like if I'm giving them good faith benefit of the doubt, management would have if they weren't overloaded with so many tasks that they have to take on, you know, sort of more supervisory management. If y'all didn't have to do all these tasks, maybe you would have time to If there are more people hired in the bargaining unit, perhaps you could yourself have more time to improve the conditions for the store, not just for your workers, but also for the people who enter the stores.
Speaker 12: But because people.
Speaker 8: Hire new workers until there's a contract, you are just so overworked and you can't and it's just like this this turns until the boss decides that it doesn't, and it's like this is their responsibility to to bargain in good faith and to treat their workers correctly, Like this is an active decision that they could make that they are not making.
Speaker 9: So yeah, I gotts say that that might be the single wildest thing I've ever heard, like an hour into an interview, is oh, yeah, they're poisoning.
Speaker 11: Guys in the mold, just the mold. It's just also just like prove that this is the craziest place to work, because like that doesn't even land on our radar anymore because we've been just like banging our head against walls for a year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, I keep going back to the abusive relationship metaphor, but like that is one of the big things about the beusive relationships is that because of the information control and because of the way that your world gets condensed down into a really really tiny, narrow set of experiences where you're isolated and you're only interacting with like one person who was controlling everything about your life. It becomes really difficult to see things that are very, very obviously wrong the moment you step out of it. Yeah, and you know, I don't know. Maybe it turns out having absolutely hierarchical relationships of control is an extremely bad way to run literally anything, especially the thing that your livelihood depends on, that you do most of your time.
Speaker 11: Just to thought, wow, well, and it also just like means that you are too busy to actually interface in any meaningful way with your workers. Like, yeah, if I tell you that it took me two thirds of the day to schedule a fifteen minute conversation with any of four managers who were on site to quit, I would not be lying.
Speaker 9: Jesus Christ. They can't even take your resign, bitch.
Speaker 11: They at one point tried to reschedule that conversation which I was attempting to have on Friday to Monday, and I was like, I think you want.
Speaker 9: To know this. Yeah, it's like managers, you two are getting you too, are getting.
Speaker 10: Strewed over by by understaffing.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, I do think that's starting to take a toll to on management, which is a little encouraging. They're losing it. Yeah, they are not feeling well, and because like for me, I don't know, I'm not gonna trust a boss like I just stated, for three months in the nineteen ninety seven UAW strike like that's oh yeah, bosses are canceled. Yeah you know, I know how that ended. But I remember one of the supervisors who who we've had one point in her like her previous career had been on a picket line for a very long time, had been on strike, and she like immediately took one of our little sabocat reed pins put it on her backpack, and is otherwise like, as far as I can tell, generally supportive of the union, but also man lady, I wish she would make a stink mm hmm.
Speaker 11: Because here's the thing. I think she only talks to us. I feel like the other managers do not speak to her. I yeah, am I crazy.
Speaker 8: Yeah I could just talk about that for a very long time, and I don't think we have the time.
Speaker 9: So yeah, yeah, before we get into what can people do the help? Is there anything else that you want to make sure that you get to.
Speaker 11: I think the big thing that we should emphasize too is as much as we are complaining and frustrated about the process, we know that this is not impass and that we are so sure that like there is still negotiating to be done, there is still conversation to be had, and that like we have been emphasizing that at every opportunity to management as we have to. But like, just because we are tired and frustrated means nothing in terms of us giving up, because this is a fight that is going to continue.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, And like to that point, Finn, we're doing this because we love the stores. Like the stores were a really important place for me, just putting down roots in the neighborhood. And I think when you love something a lot, like you got to be brave enough to wrestle with it. And that our unionizing is the right thing. It is the thing that will like hopefully create an environment where the people who make that bookstore run, who sell the books. In the long run, it will make the institution healthier, do believe, and just that we've been talking about like this metaphor as the boss of like as an abusive partner. I think for so many folks when they are whether it's something like domestic violence, or it's in a union campaign, or you're speaking out against you know, your neighbors being abducted and shot and killed in the street, there is such an expectation that I have to sit by and be quiet while this happens. And part of that, I think, what does prevent and at least in my experience as someone who survived, you know, particular kinds of violence that Yeah, I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing, but us unionizing is absolutely the right thing. It is the right thing for the stores. It is the right thing for the community and for the workers. And I just as much as I'm frustrated, like I know myself and my fellow booksellers are doing this out of love, Like it is absolutely love for the stores in the community we serve.
Speaker 11: So yeah, we're never going to feel bad for continuing to fight for what is the right.
Speaker 8: Thing to do. Yeah, I'm too broke to feel bad.
Speaker 9: Yeah, don't be poisoned by bold. Every time you go to the bookstore, support the union.
Speaker 11: Yeah, wear your mask at seminary co op. Yeah, take a sab acap pin.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Ask to talk to a manager, make it a long talk.
Speaker 11: Yeah, honestly, see if you can get one on the floor, we'll help you.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So how can people help support y'all? And do you have places where people can find more information about the campaign and follow updates?
Speaker 8: We have a change dot org petition that I think if you can link it somewhere in the description.
Speaker 9: Yep, yeah, we will link in the description.
Speaker 8: Yeah. So that that does ask folks to sign off and support the termination of Jenny Goltz, their union busting lawyer, as well as releasing like the full state of financial information too. So there's a change dot org petition. You can also follow us on Instagram at some booksellers union We've got the little icon with the sabocat sign up tian. There are also some action items on some of the posts, such as emailing the board and management about the release of financial information and also the termination of Jenny Golts's employment. You can also emailed those emails on that post about the mold too. If you want me to breathe at work.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I'm so glad about this.
Speaker 10: This is I am going to lead the description with they are poisoning you, because like, I'm so angry about this.
Speaker 8: Thank you, I'm too tired to be angry about it.
Speaker 11: I'm so glad at this woman the French perspective has remembered that the mold is totally bogus, because I had forgotten.
Speaker 8: It's crazy. Yeah, it's so bogus. It's also like it's in such plain sight, like if you're in fifty seven Street Books and you look to the right of the air conditioning unit and room one, you see that shit growing on the walls, and it's like, but I also feel like if I talked to management, which I tried about this, it just is a got a priority. My breathing not a priority. Yeah, it is wild. Thank you for reminding me.
Speaker 9: That someone one day, when you win, someone's going to write a paper by necropolitics in this or something like good.
Speaker 8: Lord, jeez, yeah some shit. Yeah, sign the petition, follow us on Instagram, help us make our.
Speaker 11: Ruckus and come talk to us and our managers at the bookstore because we love to talk to people while we.
Speaker 8: Saw them books. Yeah. Yeah, I'll take any good will we can get, so very much.
Speaker 9: So hell yeah, Well, thank you to both so much for coming on and just for doing this and I don't know, like a place that was really special to me when I was yeah, when I was there for a long time.
Speaker 8: Thanks for your help, Thank you for following up with us.
Speaker 11: Of course, it's really nice to have this platform every so often.
Speaker 8: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, well, hopefully we'll have you back on when you fucking win.
Speaker 11: And yes, very round.
Speaker 8: I'm buying I'm personally buying the cool Zone media team around at Jimmy's. When we win our contract.
Speaker 11: I will come back to my park just for the celebration.
Speaker 8: Change everyone's oil while you're down to yeah, yeah, yeah, no, don't take that long.
Speaker 11: I won't be ready for a second.
Speaker 9: Yeah, this is, this has been. It could happen here, and you too can resist both your abuser and your boss, even when they're the same person, and.
Speaker 17: You should, ay man, get them and welcomed.
Speaker 7: It could happen here. I'm Andrew's age.
Speaker 6: I run andrewism over on YouTube, but I'm here on this podcast with the one and only.
Speaker 9: Mia Wong, who does this podcast most of the time.
Speaker 6: Exactly exactly, and I think you and I both have something in common, which is that we are people, and we are two people, but the world has a lot more than just two people. It's a really convoluted way of saying that. For this episode, we're going to be talking about population. You know, how many of people there are, and how many of them there will or will not be in the future, and all the different conversations that end up happening around.
Speaker 9: That, most of which suck. So it's a time truly.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, every single one of us humans is a product of billions of years of reproduction. But for most of that reproduction, population growth was pretty slow.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: The world's population is.
Speaker 6: Estimated at around five million in the eight thousand BC. So five million is like the population of New Zealand right now, or Costa Rica, or Ireland or Norway, but spread across the entire planet. Can you get so many people who are alive in the year one? See though, thirty million that's actually an underestimate. It's one hundred and eighty eight million, jeez, right, So that's between the current population of Bangladesh and the current population of Brazil, which are at one hundred and sixty nine million and two hundred and thirty million, respectively. But that's spread across the entire planet. So I mean imagine that, you know, a whole world of people so spread out. I mean they were concentrated into innarios, of course, but you had all this vast forest land and plains and entire content ccidents that barely had people compared to today. And the reason the population grew so slowly was really because, I mean, humans have always been doing the do you know, but death was kind of a very present phenomenon.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: You had famines, you had plagues, you had the occasional war, and you especially had a lot of infant mortality. Yeah, and that's what really kept populations in check. You know, I remember hearing I don't even remember who it was, but this one person had like nineteen children and only eight of them survived to adulthood.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they honestly did pretty good, like by those metrics, Like, yeah, then infant mortality rate was unbelievably high.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So families had a lot of children, but only a few of them made it to adulthood. Thanks to the industrializations, were able to change a bit. You know, we improved agriculture, we invented refrigeration, we got better fertilizer, and most importantly, we developed advancements in sanitisia. You know, doctors were actually washing their hands. You know, we developed vaccines, so children were dying of measles and mumps.
Speaker 7: Imagine that, good Lord.
Speaker 6: And we also had an overall improvement in medicine. You know, one of the greatest inventions of humanity, I think is the vaccine. And it's such a wonderful thing that there's not this massive movement of people who challenge it's very legitimacy in this day and age, and threaten all of our lives as a result.
Speaker 7: You know, imagine being in that world.
Speaker 9: God.
Speaker 6: So we eventually hit one billion in the year eighteen oh four, which is just below the current population of China, and things began to accelerate from there. We end up creating something called a Jacob of exponential population growth thanks to like I said, the decline in infant mortality and improvements and fertility and food production and the other billionaire milestone started rolling it. By eighteen oh four, Kiti had just gained its independence. Napoleon the First was crowned Emperor France, and Lewis and Clark had begun their expedition across America in nineteen twenty seven. As one hundred and twenty three years later, we hit two billion people. You know, by then we had Trotsky being expelled from the USSR, which had just been founded. We had Charles Linnenberg completing the first solo non stop flight across the Atlantic Ocean. And then also in nineteen twenty seven, we had the release of the first feature length film to feature synchronized sound for dialogue. Quite the time to be Alive. The fast forward to thirty three year later, nineteen sixty, and we hit three billion people. By then, Nigeria had just gained it independence. GfK was in the White House, ham the Chimpanzee went to space, and the FDA approved the first ever both control pill. But the birth control pill didn't really kick in in terms of, you know, hampering our growth for some time. By nineteen seventy four, fourteen years later, we hit four billion people. By then, Nixon had resigned to He had invaded Cyprus Portugal overthrow its dictatorship. The Godfather Part two came out, and Aber was still at the top of the charts. Nineteen eighty seven, thirteen years later, when we got five billion people. That's when we had most of the major colonies around the world gain the independence or having already had gained the independence. You know Thatcher was beginning her third term and The Simpsons first appayed on TV. Twelve years later in nineteen ninety nine, we had the Y two K panic, the Impeach Month, the SpongeBob premiere, the introduction of the euro, and six billion people made their debut on planets twenty eleven. Twelve years later we hit seven billion people, and that was in the midst of the Arab Spring, a tsunami hit in Japan, the Occupy movement, the premiere Game of Thrones, and really the beginning of smartphones and social media taken over the world. Finally, by twenty twenty two, which is eleven years after twenty eleven, we hit eight billion people. Amidst Russia invading in Ukraine, the growing popularity of TikTok, and Elon's purchase of Twitter. So from eighteen four to twenty twenty two we went from one billion people to eight billion people, and the un expected to grow by about one point nine billion between now and twenty one hundred, so we'll end up breaching from eight point two billion people to ten point two billion people, and population is projected to peak at ten point three billion in twenty eighty four and then decline to ten point two billion through the end of the century. So with this rapid population growth, there has been a lot of fayars surrounding overpopulation. Particularly in the late twentieth century and early two thousands, there was a lot of conversation around, you know, this population bomb, this worry that there were too many people. Now, at least early on in the population boom, I think it makes some sense to have concerns. You know, there had never been this many people on the eighth at any point in time prior. You know, if you're watching the numbers climb and climb and climb, you might have thought we were headed straight for a planet covered in cities and some kind of collapse. But even before we even hit a billion people. Yeah, idea of overpopulation being a significant problem wasn't new. In late seventeen hundreds, Thomas Mauthus argued that population would always outpace food supply, and his prediction was that there'd be tw many people, not enough resources, and a decline into famine, disease and mass death.
Speaker 7: Now he was.
Speaker 6: Obviously proven wrong, but in nineteenth century Britain, Marthus's ideas helped justify the harsh wealthare policies that that government ended up implementing, like the spread of workhouses around the country. Also, we speak about faminis if it's this natural phenomenon that can't be helped, that is just almost like a hurricane or a tornado. But famines are usually not actually the result of not having enough food.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: Amartya Sen found that famines usually happened despite food surpluses. He was usually distribution and not scarcity, you know. A famous example being you know, during the Irish famine, Ireland was still exporting tons of food to feed its colonial overlord. So we fast forward to nineteen sixty eight and the biologist Paul Erlich publishes The Population Bomb. He describes visiting Delhi and feeling the crush of overpopulation, convinced that massterviation was imminent in the nineteen seventies. Now, I think that book that he published was one of the main influences in the widespread panic around overpopulation. You know, governments started to scramble about a lot of policies were born, likely from people reading that very book. You know, some of these policies were fairly benign. You know, you promote family planning, you improve access to contraceptives, you improve education for women especially, But other approaches were very harsh and brutal. You know, you had sterilization campaigns, forced sterilization campaigns taking place in India and Puerto Rico and in the United States. China's one child policy also gets a lot of attention, but it was only one example of a widespread brutality around the impositions placed on women, especially in that time, the fear of too many people and that anxiety leading to the control of women and their bodies. And it's a scary prospect, especially if you were a minority in this time, if you were a cultural, racial, or religious minority, Because it made very ordinary human activity, things like moving around, having children, just existing being it seemed like an existential threat to civilization, to humanity that needed to be dealt with by any means necessary. So they had some positive outcomes, of good positive outcomes of the overpopulation concerned. You know, you had pushes foreman's empowerment. You had the proposal of improved urbanization to reduce the sprawl of human activity. You also have people proposing things like extraterrestrial settlements, which you know, it's not really realistic as a solution for a multitude of valid reasons.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's really.
Speaker 6: Funny, you know, whenever other people push that sort of yeah, humans are destined for the stars kind of narrative. You know, it's a story, a really powerful story coming out of science fiction, and it's good that it has inspired people to learn more about space, and you know that their lives to the study of the stars and that kind of thing. But this idea that would to be shipping off like millions of people off planet to settle on other planets, I think is pretty safely in the realm of science fiction.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's a full Like get back to me. In a thousand years, we could baby start talking about moving like thousands of people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, even thousands or hundreds of people. I mean, we don't have those those massive generationships. We can't even get those off the ground at this stage in our spacecraft. And we also have a lot of issues to resolve on Earth before we spread our problems across the galaxy as far as I'm concerned. But Beyond these solutions, the ideas and public discourses around population have also boothed a lot of conspiracy theories. You know, I'm sure you might have heard a few of them in your time.
Speaker 9: Oh boy, yep, this is one of the big Alex Jones things. For example, So he's convinced that there's like a giant plot by the globalists to kill off an enormous part of human population to stop over population or something.
Speaker 6: It's yeah, yeah, Honestly, any combination of conspiracies can be smushed together to fit that kind of narrative, and they can talk about all the vaccine sterilizing people, the chemtrails, the five Gita was, the Bill Gates, microchips, they are even the food supply, all these things allegedly being used to sterilize people. I'm not to say that there isn't validity to any claims of the things that we consume contributing to lower fertility. The fact that we clothe ourselves in like polyester. You know, we still have a full idea of the impact of microplastics on our bodies. You know, there's valid concerns about some of the consequences of the ultra processed foods that you know, fill out grocery shells. But that's just the sad thing about conspiracy theories. You know, they have some kleinos of truth mixed in to boster. They have validity, but then they mix it up with a bunch of garbage about you know that's a nonsense. Yeah, And then of course, I mean some of these consciracy theories are kind of benign.
Speaker 7: You know, like if you think it's.
Speaker 6: Five gitas, I guess you'd put a I don't know, a tinfoil hat on your junk.
Speaker 9: But I mean, to be fair, there was one of the five g guys who did like blow himself up at a giant car bomb.
Speaker 7: I did not hear about that a couple of years ago down.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, luckily he only killed himself, but giant giant car bomb in the middle of I wanted to say Memphis or something down Yeah. But yeah, so like every once in a while he gets some real oh boys stuff from that.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, honestly, people could take even the simplest things and turn it into a threat to themselves and others if they're not in the right headspace. So they haven't been given the right sports sad rely and obviously like none of the conspiracies of A nine. I mean, if you have people rejecting vaccines, you know, it's almost like we're in the world that I alluded to earlier, you know, where we have our residence and measles.
Speaker 7: For example.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Jim O'Neil, who's the Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Services and the acting director for the CDC literally on Monday, called for splitting the MMR vaccine it's multiple vaccines, like, which is basically which is just straight up the Andrew Wakefield I think, like I've said this on seven podcasts on this show now, but this is literally just straight up the Andrew Wakefield anti vaccine thing from the original giant anti vaccine panic in the nineties.
Speaker 7: That was the autism seeing thing.
Speaker 9: Yeah yeah, like and this is this is this is the guy who's currently running the CDC. It's just being like, no, yeah, you should do this thing.
Speaker 7: That's yeah, yeah, you guys are cooked.
Speaker 9: Yeah again, this thing that was developed specifically so that Antie Wakefield could sell his own vaccine.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah. I mean that's that's the thing.
Speaker 6: If I was conspiracy brain, I would say that actually the popularization of vaccine conspiracies on social media sites contributes to exactly that kind of population control that those same conspiracy theorists famonga about. But that's if I was conspiracy brain, which I'm not.
Speaker 9: God, So someone someone believes that somewhere, absolutely, there is someone who's like, the anti vaxxers are a conspiracy to call them goal population or something like.
Speaker 6: No, because I mean, we have this very straightforwardly effective human invention and one of the best in the history of humankind. And you're telling me that a couple of people on Facebook and are responsible for the entire government rejecting the effectiveness of vaccines and you know, jeopardizing the healthy entire population.
Speaker 9: Come on, yeah, I mean, unfortunately, the true believers are in charge now.
Speaker 6: Indeed, indeed they are true believers, and of course people who stand to profit from the dip in the sales of paracetamol and whatever else. So they're those conspiracies about population. And then there's the typical far right Nazi conspiracies about great replacement, right, the idea that shataway elites orchestrating falling blue rates among white populations while encouraging immigration from the population boomen global seuth. I mean, of course, not all the global self is woomen population wise, a lot of please there's also experience in decline. It's a global problem. But we're going to get to that. Unconnected, of course, to those great replacement times. So you have the eco fash with their worries about the environmental impact of population, and their twisted belief that environmental collapse could be solved by reducing the number of people, which usually ends up target in marginalized groups, which is exactly the kind of thinking that inspired real violence, like with the Christian shooter in twenty nineteen. And of course the actual drivers of ecological collapse are not poor families in India or Africa having too many kids. It's the over consumption of the global norse. You know, if you actually wanted to reduce consumption, reduce the impact of population on the planet, are you going to start with fewer people? Are going to start with fewer billionaires flying private jets. You know, it's not about the number of people they head count, it's about their lifestyles and the systems that support what those lifestyles. You know, believing population is a very cheap, simplistic and cowardly get out of jail free code for the rich minority that drive this systemic crisis.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 9: The thing about this, obviously is that if you believe that you need to reduce the human population, that it's your obligation to go first.
Speaker 6: Yes, well, we are going to talk about those types of people in the next episode. But you know, speaking of the overpopulation, I think nowadays at least an opposite concern that is dominating the headlines. You know, in wealthier, more developed countries, fertility tends to be lower, and that's tied to things like back to education, more women working, urban living, greater choices, greater access to contraception, et cetera. But in less developed countries, fertility is usually higher because children are often seen as both help and hands and future caregivers, and education and access to both control are more limited. But the global fertility rate is now steadily dropping due to that increasing development, greater access to birth control, creater education of women's rights, And there's a fair nowadays where there won't be enough people to support the system as it has been built. Remember, capitalism is predicated on endless growth. When its population starts to decline, naturally, everything that is building towards in terms of the amount of consumers, the amount of infrastructure, the amount of workers. Those are not going to be there anymore, especially as more and more people end up dipping out of the workforce as they age. So in twenty three, the global average had dropped to just two point three children poor women, which is less than half of what it was sixty years ago. According to the United Nations, fertility will keep fallen throughout the century, and by the year twenty one hundred, the global average is expected to dip the low replacement level of two point one to about one point eight children poor woman. Now, some countries are already there. Japan sits at a one point two children poor woman, Italy, Spain, and much of Eastern Europe are well below one point five. South Korea is famously a demographic outlier at zero point seven children poor woman, which is the lowest facility rate in the world. And that means obviously that on average, Korean women are having less than one child each for very valid reasons, I might add, considering the economic and cultural conditions in that country. Now, I don't live in Eastern Europe or Southern Europe or East Asia, I live in the Caribbean.
Speaker 7: I live in Trinan, Tobago.
Speaker 6: But speaking anecdotally at least, which obviously is not representative of the full picture, I can count, maybe had one hand, the number of people I know my age who think that they'll be able to bring children into the world, whether they want.
Speaker 7: To or not.
Speaker 6: You know, very few people I know actually want children, or if they do want children, they don't think they'll be able to afford to have children. But maybe that's a selfishness. What do you think.
Speaker 9: I mean, I don't know, like I am not interacting with a representative example of the population. But no, yeah, I mean it's a lot of people who are like no, and it's too expensive. It sucks, I don't want to deal with this. But again, like, not not a representative sample here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean you could just look at the economy. Things have been getting wood for my entire life. You know, there hasn't been any point in my life where anyone in my generation could look around honestly and say, yeah, you know, this is we be cooking. You know, it's time to double double it. You know, let's have a child. You know, the housing situation has gotten worse. The cost of living and as a whole has gotten worse, child care costs have gotten worse. And of course, outside of that economic stuff, there's also cultural attitude shifts and people realizing I don't need to have a child to be fulfilled, to find meaning. You know, people are able to pursue higher education, and also they're more educated about the process of child bearing in general, including the very valid medical concerns surrounding that whole process. I mean, if I were a woman, I would not want to have a child. You know, the consequences on their bodies, on their minds, and their health, the risks to their very life are not something that can be swept aside as it was previously. People are aware of it now, people are talking about it now, and they are empowered to make decisions that be right for them. You know, a lot of people are also very much focused on their careers, either by choice or because they don't have any other choice but to focus on putting food on the table. You know, people are also getting married later and as a whole, we have shifted to what a more individual society. So you know, in the past you did have the extended families, the closet communities that made raising children a bit more manageable. But today it's a bit rarer to find, and you send to see a lot more nuclear families or even just individuals going at it a loonan you know, less support and more isolation, and so it makes it very difficult. And then there's the existential angst of it all. You know, I can't forget the fact that there are multiple wars waging around the world. You know, there's a lot of political instability in much of the world, and of course the biggest issue of all climate change, which makes it honestly, it makes it feel it responsible to even think about bringing a child into this mess. So a declining fertility, a decline in population, it has the government's panicing. You know, China went from having decades of a one child policy to now desperately trying to encourage people to have more babies. They're offering cash bonuses and housing books and extended parent to leave. But it's not really working. You know, as populations are aging, there's a lot more elderly people to care for and fewer workinish people to support them. So that is you know, a recipe for pension crises and labor shortages and spiral and healthcare costs. So some governments are even trying to raise the retirement age, which, as France and their protests have shown, is not going to go over well with much of the population. Nobody wants to work extra five years and extra ten years more when they've already put so much of their lives to these dead end pointless and you know, mentally and physically dreaming tasks that really just line the pockets of their bosses.
Speaker 9: It is worth pointing out the last year there was a pretty massive raise in the retirement age people in China. That's being phased in a way where're going to take over the course of fifteen years. It goes up gradually to sort of like spread out the anger over it. But yeah, it is worth noting that China's is like significantly increased or is going to significantly increase over the course of the next fifteen years.
Speaker 7: M Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then on the other side of things, there is in the retirement age now, but the young people who are working today are more than likely not going to get any kind of pension.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've rather the world of my sixty don't look like the world of my twenties, that would be my preference. So I would rather that we've reached a point as a society where pensions are not the necessary band aid that they are right now. But until then, you know, there's quite the powder keg.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We also have in Eastern Europe, you know, you have countries rolling out pro natalist policies that tie financial support directly to family size. I'm going to get a bit more into pronatalists in the next episode. But there's also the darker side of that pronatalist push in terms of the policies meant to reverse the population decline. Some governments, instead of making life better for potential appearance, are criminalizing They're turning to anti choice policies. They are strict in abortion, and they're limited reproductive rights. They're demonizing child free lifestyles. Russia actually recently criminalized what they called child the free propaganda, you know. And then this is also part of a broader conversation about population where they have the immigration concerns as a political flashpoint because a lot of wealthy countries, because of their population decline, are starting to rely more on immigrants to keep their economies going. But as a flip side that tends to fuel backlash from the farhad groups who are able to frame it as a threat to national identity, and because the system of the states and capitalism is not interested in actually taking care of people, those immigrants become a very useful scapegoat.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: Obviously, I'm in support of people moving and living wherever they want to move and live as they please. I don't believe in borders, especially as the climate consequences are hitting those of us in the global South boost. But I also I'm not a fan of the way that some progressives end up talking about immigration, where they act as if, you know, the global sealth is like a population bank that wealthy countries could tap into and you know, pull population from, regardless of the consequences on the home countries of these people. You know, it's like, let immigrants come, and I'm all for that, But then it's also like, your your government is destabilizing their governments, your your system, your economic system, and the global economic systems beaking life in those countries unlivable. And I think the priority also needs to be on dealing with that issue and not just shrugging and saying, well, you know, not. At least immigrants are able to help our economy stay aflut even as their countries languish and suffer. So to kind of wrap things up, where does this all leave us? You know, for centuries we feared having two many people, and now we're signed to fair having too few people, and both anxieties are shaping policy, feel and racy theories and sparkan culture wars. And whether the future holds overcrowded cities or ghost towns really depends on the direction of politics, economy, culture, and urban designs.
Speaker 7: Teak.
Speaker 6: On the next episode, I'm going to be talking about the ideas around the population, the pro natalists and the anti natalists. But until then, I've been Andrew Sage here with Mia Wong on it could Happen Here.
Speaker 9: This.
Speaker 12: Trigger Trader, I heard ah, Hello, Welcome to It could Happen Here? The Spooky Special. I'm your host, Garrison Davis. Once again, there has been far too many important world events taking precedents that we here at the show are unable to provide listeners with an entire spooky week's worth of themed episodes. But I know how important Halloween is for many millennials, so I've taken it upon myself to produce two spooky episodes to book and the Holiday, this episode that you're listening to right now, as well as another that will release Monday morning or Sunday night. As the world is becoming an increasingly spooky, scary place, I needed to up the ante to exceed the weird and eerie fright that comes from living in America and the world in general in twenty twenty five. So last week I traveled from New York to Brussels, briefly caught up with my close personal friend and colleague Hinton, and then took the train to Germany. Very scary indeed, once in Germany, I was confronted with seemingly occult words and symbols. People spoke in odd incantations. I came across a map that appeared via my black scrying mirror the iPhone, which, upon deciphering, led me to an old power plant warehouse in East Berlin. I entered this dark, looming building and inside the air was thick with smoke and incense. Figures dressed in all black emerged from the fog, Witches, wizards and magicians. I followed them into a candlelit room. Where hooded occultists conducted a ritual welcoming us to the twenty twenty five A Culture Conference. A Culture is a by yearly conference that's once every two years, focusing on the intersection of occultism and culture, pop or otherwise. This is arguably the most prestigious occultism conference in the world. I have been wanting to attend four years, and I was finally able to go this go round on the condition that I make four podcast episodes. The two that I'm releasing this week and next will cover some of the core magical and topical currents throughout the conference, mostly via a panel discussion between myself and three other attendees, and then before Christmas, I'll have two fully scripted episodes interrogating these concepts further and discussing the use of occult practice in twenty twenty five. So to start, let's meet our panelists. I should introduce my magical travel team for this conference. Let's start with Delta, a Belgian magician and artist which I recruited to join me in this wacky adventure. Delta Sahi, Hello, what do you do, Delta? What's your magical specialty? I suppose well, it's kind of into the microphone. It's kind of a mix of things where.
Speaker 18: Part of it is.
Speaker 12: Just into the microphone. I'm sorry, how you can you can you can get you can get prety close to.
Speaker 19: It, Okay. It's a kind of a mix of things really between conventional chaos magic and more theoretical like weird theory stuff like Mark Fisher and the CCRU adjacent things.
Speaker 12: We talk a lot about Mark Fisher, some landstuff, metafiction theory, fiction, hyperstition, Delta myself talk about magic through the Internet quite a bit and how it combines with cultural theory, which is relevant to this conference. Let's move over to my left.
Speaker 18: I've been recruited along on this magical journey. I'm Ryan. I practiced the Vasriana, a Greco Egyptian magical practice, and also am involved in a Haitian voodoo house. Prior to that, I was also an academic for a good period of time where I studied Renaissance rhetoric and political theory, philosophy, and economics. So my contributions are going to be wide and varied.
Speaker 12: We've been making a lot of Hegel jokes this weekend, so many Hegel jokes our last crew member, which people may have heard before on various shows him.
Speaker 20: My name is Elaine, and I make art and research a lot of Renaissance script mark magic, and most of the things I do are a lot of idiosyncratic practices and based on various folk magic and chaos magic and Balkan folk magic.
Speaker 12: Before we continue the conversation between myself and my three guests, let's start by discussing the word a culture, the namesake of the conference. Obviously, this is a combination of the word ac cult and culture, and it describes how the two influence and possibly undermine one another. To read a quote from the person who originated the term, quote, a culture is a word that was inevitable during the hyperactive phase of the Temple of Psychic Youth in the nineteen eighties. We were casting around for an all embracing term to describe an approach to combining a unique, demystified spiritual philosophy with a fervent insistence that all life and art are indivisible. At any given moment, our sensory environment is whispering to us, telling us hidden stories, revealing subliminal connections. This concealed dialogue between every level of popular cultural forms and magical conclusions is what we named a culture unquote. That is from genesis b Puurage a musician, magician, artist, a cult leader, and hashtag slightly problematic queer icon. In the seventies, they started the band Throbbing Gristle, pioneered industrial music, and later started the Chaos magic organization, the Temple of Psychic Youth and its associated band Psychic TV. Though a culture did not just describe this sort of personal spiritual movement, it carried a strong offensive element targeted against society and perceived systems of control. Through their many projects, including Throbbing Gristle Psychic TV in the Temple of Psychic Youth, Purage utilized art and magical practice to conduct a quote unquote war on culture. Similar to another figure that will soon get to william S. Burrows, a culture describes a process of cultural osmosis. The occult bleeds into and morph's culture, affecting everything from pop culture to politics and philosophy. But as a part of this osmosis, the occult becomes increasingly commodified, knowable, safe, territory, marketable. The hidden occult loses its very essence of being hidden despite its use as a tool of attack against mainstream culture. Like most countercultural forms, the occult has been largely recuperated. Even creative works which our genuine explorations into the occult fall into this recuperation herodigm. They get turned into products consumed by mostly secular audience, like the works of Dueling Wizards, Allen Moore and Grant Morrison. Now some occultists rejoice, knowing that this wide exposure will influence more people to become interested in or adopt occult practices of their own, while others bemoan this dilution and commodification of what to them is an important spiritual practice. As the modern occult revival, along with a heavy helping hand of scientific advancement, de territorialized Christian hegemonic religion. Now the occult itself has been re territorialized, which is not to say that the occult is no longer a field of play, which is what this conference attempts to assert. Let's go back to the panel.
Speaker 18: In terms of the conference itself, as we'll get into later, the term a culture very specifically seems to be focused on the study of the interrelation of magical practice and the material aspects of occult culture and its influence and appropriation by wider society. So in terms of political projects or social projects, you can probably relate this. I think that it would be fair to say that it's something like culture jamming if we're looking for some familiar concepts for people to map onto. That is to say, a focus of way from simply solitary practice in the ways in which occult elements influence broader aspects of our society or are appropriated, whether that's through consumerist forces or through various artistic practices, or even the production of for example, film television movies. So I think that's a fair assessment of the impacts of a culture.
Speaker 12: And relevant to our discussion later. It's influenced in the tech sector and the emergence of AI, which the current manifestation of has some heavily occult origins regarding around a whole bunch of people in the nineties who were writing about AI as this as this occult project, and that influenced many a AI engineer and coder who are now building this stuff and it's becoming an ever present part of our lives, and the occultists now are trying to incorporate it into their own practice, which we will discuss in a sect. Any other notes on a culture as a concept or what this conference is doing with the concept.
Speaker 20: I think a culture is a concept is something that's basically been around as long as there's been magical practices, just looking at so much of things, like you know, the concept of the British Empire being invented by John d because of conversations he was having with angels. So I think that naming it and calling it something is also very much felt like an attempt to sort of regain control over the ways that magical practice and greater society seem to influence each other, as opposed to a more unintentional way that they have been going back and forth for hundreds, if not thousands of years.
Speaker 18: There may also be one other aspect that's important for our American audience is given that we're recording this in Deutschland, this conference varies significantly from other American equivalent, or something that might be an American equivalent formerly Pantheaicon in and around San Francisco and San Jose specifically, or Paganicon in the Twin Cities, which specifically has much more of a new age neopagan reconstructionist, and so most academic discussion is viewed with some suspicion. And I'm hesitant to say that there's an anti intellectual trend because I don't necessarily think that's true. However, there is a resistance to the kind of academic styling that we saw very prevalent at this conference to talk about the occult more generally as an area of study in addition to just idiosyncratic practice or part of a larger social neopagan movement, which is again very much the focus of most US based conferences.
Speaker 12: As an editorial note, when we're talking about magic, to clarify, we're not talking about stage magicians. We're referring to magic with a K. That is, rituals and practices based on occult knowledge. It seeks to cause change in accordance with will, whether that's changed within yourself or in our consensus reality. Occult magical practice can also serve as a form of spirituality, mysticism, an alternative religious practice or an alternative to religion, with its beliefs in practice largely influenced by historical esoteric orders, mystery traditions, paganism, witchcraft, herbalism, astrology, hermantic philosophy, and alchemy, and all these things are influences. I'm not saying that the actual historic manifestations of these things are the same as the modern occult practices that are influenced by these things, because often these can be wildly varying, especially when you talk about things like witchcraft and alchemy, which have been misinterpreted or reconstructed into completely new forms than what the historical manifestation of them actually contained. But a lot of modern day ocultism has manifested as an individually mediated spirituality containing some of the group ritual or ritual aspects of something like Catholicism, but with the individuality of Protestantism. Many conferences have an opening ceremony, and as I previously mentioned, a culture had an opening ritual. This accomplishes a very similar goal to any opening ceremony, to get attendees in a certain headspace, prepare them for the rest of the conference, and set a certain mood in which the rest of the events will kind of follow suit. The a culture opening ritual called upon the attendee's demiurgic capacity. How they are part of creating the reality of what this conference is and how it will continue for the next few days. Back to the panel. The framing of the ritual was a blindfolded woman holding the scales of balance, and each person put a intention for the week, or for the conference, or for themselves into a stone, which was handed out to each person who entered the ritual, and at certain point these stones were placed on to the scales of balance to create an equilibrium between the two sides of the scale, along with the you know, chanting, meditation, and a lot of incense.
Speaker 18: A significant deal of incense given that we were in a former German forge warehouse. The you know, billowing smoke that existed throughout the conference, from fires to incense to various other inflammatory items was rather impressive. But in terms of actual ritual design, it met several elements that I found to be rather impressive. One, it was encompassing of all of those elements that we would later expect to see in the actual body of the conference itself. In terms of like the artistic performances, the musical you know, metal golf music that was played, but also a very practical and open approach to ritual. It was highly inclusive. Everyone who was there participated. It did an exceptional job I felt of actually bringing setting intention and adding to I don't know, at risk of sounding to new age the vibrations that we all felt as we engaged and were present. The theatrical quality, I have to say, was also very much.
Speaker 19: Dark and spooky.
Speaker 18: Dark and spooky, but something to be admired.
Speaker 2: They did a very good.
Speaker 12: Job, definitely one of the more high effort rituals of the weekend in terms of the performative aspect, with there being little less than a dozen hooded cloaked figures stationed at different points, either holding specific positions in a meditative state for probably over half an hour, standing still in a decision that would become uncomfortable, and swinging, swinging incense, or holding torches or lights. Setting intention specifically is usually you talk to these people. The first step of any kind of magical working is setting your intention for what the work is supposed to do or accomplish in you or out into the world. Mirroring the opening ritual, Culture twenty twenty five little booklet has a few paragraphs on the concept for this conference, talking about the cosmic craftsman as the demiir to shapes matter and spirit alike who embodies creation and transformation, revealing both the light and the hidden, the shadowed face of the divine, as well as having cosmic balance and balancing destruction with creation and order and chaos and the hidden and the scene. The last paragraph in which I will read I think relates specifically to this show and the cultural political aspects quote. In the age of relentless acceleration, the craftsman becomes a figure of resistance. His patience and ritual discipline reclaims sacred time, restoring a them beyond the acceleration of modern life. A Culture twenty twenty five invites us to dwell in this threshold where creation, intuition, and the hidden divine converge, and with that we converge on an outbreak. Welcome back to the it could happen here, Spooky Special On the A Culture Conference. The figure name dropped the most throughout this conference might surprise some people, because I'm assuming most do not consider him to be an occultist or really a serious occult figure. The most discussed individual, at least in my experience of the conference, was not Alistair Crowley, John d someone like Lena Blovotsky, but in fact william S Burrows. And now we'll return to the panel to discuss the Burrosian current. Let's talk about what I would argue was the strongest current throughout this conference, what I'm gonna call the Burrosian current, relating to writer, beat poet, and mystic and occultists in his own right, William S Burrows and the magical technology that he either invented or popularized in the second half of the twentieth century and played a significant role in influencing successor movements such as chaos magic and even the work of the CCRU and Land and Fisher. The very first talk that we attended was specifically on Burroughs, and Burrows ghost haunted the remainder of the conference thereafter and introduced a few of the key tensions throughout the rest of the conference which we will discuss as specifically technology in AI.
Speaker 18: So our first talk by castro Opstrop, who I believe was Swedish, one of those.
Speaker 19: He was working at the University of Copenhagen.
Speaker 18: The University of Copenhagen certainly Scandinavian of some flavor of variety, focused on William S Burrows and Brian Geyson, I think that it's important, and I appreciated this claim on the outset that they argued that both Geyson and Burroughs are actually closer to the late Surrealists rather than to the beat poets generation which we typically associate them with, which, interestingly enough, I made both of these figures far more compelling to me my understanding of them. I mean, despite my familiarity with the cut up method, and you know, several of the things that Burrows had written, I always considered them far more beat and therefore less less of interest to me specifically. But this proximity to the Surrealists, especially the late latter Surrealists, I found particularly compelled, and I think that brings us to the real focus of this talk was Burrows's cut up method and another book that he published on the Third Mind, which gave way to the latter discussions on artificial intelligence and large language models.
Speaker 12: So Burrows definitely popularized the cut up method, which Geyson originated, but Burroughs changed its different forms of manifestations to various mediums of art like the tape recorder and his own writings and just words and language. And I guess the reason why I think talking about this current is important to start. Is also revolves around this idea of magic as this form of like resistance or this like a culture jamming practice, which Burrows framed his own work in his like a you know, work that could we could just describe as like esoteric or inspired byesoterism or achieving esotericals is specifically for this cultural infusion to to disrupt mainstream culture in some capacity, to go against the one God universe, sometimes in an anarchic way, sometimes in a libertarian way. There's a mix of a mix of like motivations that play here, same thing with like Robert Anton Wilson, which I'm sure you've heard Robert Evans talk about before. These were contemporaries. These guys were friends and operating under like similar goals of disrupting culture through these techniques which they thought literally like disrupted the linear flow of culture or the mechanisms of control such as like language and linear time, which later gets developed on by Land and Fissure.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I think looking at some of my notes, some of the things that stuck out to me, especially in view of the fact that the other classes going on at the time began with Alistair Crowley, but we're diving into a lot of more classical and historical magical traditions. Was that language can shape reality, which is something that would also be held by a lot of the classical magical ideas that sound and image have a cult power, which is very true in a lot of magical traditions dating back to the Pickatrix and more ancient texts, and that tech available at the time can be a magical instrument, which the tech available currently and for William Burrows is very different than classical tech, but is something that has been done for a very long time as well. What really changes is stepping out of the idea of a linear representation of it and into something that could be edited, cut and reprogrammed, specifically using technology that allowed that as opposed to something that you're trying to control solely through say more spiritual magical acts. It's something that you can do with a tape recording.
Speaker 12: And this is like you know, based on forms like social engineering and the manipulation of the reproduction of reality, which Burrows believes language plays a key role in, even though I might disagree with him in a few ways on like the nature of like a language as a as a human concept versus this like alien concept which it's like infected to human delta. You should explain what the cut up method is.
Speaker 19: Yes, well, the name itself kind of is self explanatory, but the idea of being essentially too thick any form of texts or writing, cut up the words or pieces of sentences, jumble them up in a hat or a bucket or whatever, and then kind of like play a jigsaw puzzle with language, reshifting sentences into new ideas and new forms of poetry, especially which I'm just looking at my own cut ups right in front of me.
Speaker 12: To force like randomized combinations of the word that you would not choose to combine on your own volition, and seeing why that sort of thought that generates what're kind of meaning can be constructed through that combination exactly.
Speaker 20: We're on some of the first cut ups done with books and just making holes, cutting out words and seeing the other words that would appear underneath, and if new meaning would arise through the surprise combinations.
Speaker 12: Words from like the future or the past presenting themselves into a current present within the book.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 19: I think one of the Boroughs quotes is when you cut into the present, the future leaks out, which.
Speaker 18: Is related to the concept of time sorcery that was talked about towards the end of that discussion. I think another element to the cut up method that's important, especially as it was framed in this a culture context, is as the we quoted from the or as I wrote this quote down from the actual lecture itself. Reality is made of words, images, and vibrations, and sounds and images have occult power, and therefore these sounds and images and words can be marshaled or used, edited, cut through, rearranged for the purposes of reprogramming. It's fascinating because I think that this really is something that carries through to the whole conference, and not just the Burrow's method, but what this Burrow's method or the Barosian current of the conference. It seems that there was a problematic I mean, we started basically with Dari Da, and we ended with Dari Da. We with discussions of like critiques of the master narrative that we get from you know, Deluze and Leotard and Baudriard and these people. But the goal of this cut up method was to rewrite the master narrative. So again back to that concept of culture jamming. As Ger said, this concept of the one God universe, this cut up method is meant to interrupt the linearity of words of language, that is a process of control. So I issue with this concept of language as a virus because that implies that it's a foreign body, and I mean it's true post structuralists. I guess that I am there is no outside to language, and I think that that's actually something that shines through in this third mind concept.
Speaker 12: As two people work together on something, there's a composite mind that like emerges and affects the work is the concept there.
Speaker 18: So when two people collaborate, a third mind or intelligence communicates with you through the revelation of the new that was already present. And I think that that's really important to point out because it's not as though there's this outside thing. The implication is from this method is that the new reveals itself through this process that's already present in language. Because this is a question that I had throughout is that if language is this foreign entity that dominates us through control, and the method itself is language, then how are we not just re I mean, I guess it's a kind of inoculation. If we have a you know, a theory of language that is based in you know, what what do we call this? What is it that we all just got during COVID kevin fever? No, no, the things that we inject into our body that created the indo vaccines? There we go, that's the ticket inoculations.
Speaker 12: Not all, not all of us got vaccines.
Speaker 2: Okay, care.
Speaker 18: You heard it here first vaccine did not know where was it going with this? Okay?
Speaker 12: Speaking of methods of speaking of methods of control.
Speaker 8: I mean a lot of it.
Speaker 18: The new just came out there. Wait just one moment, Sorry, Elane. I likened this to this process of dialectics. But that's because I couldn't shut up about Hagel the entire time we were there, because I don't think enough occultists are talking about Hegel. Why is no one talking about Hegel? Everyone should be talking about Hegel.
Speaker 12: I mean, as fun as it is to think about this, like third mind as like an egg grigor figure, which we've we've mentioned before, is like it's like a group thought form, like a being or a force that is generated through through multiple people believing in it. You make up an imaginary friend in a way, that's what of a severtre, but true in a grigoras as a is yeah, of a form of thought that they gained its own, like an autonomy and becomes kind of, you know, like a like a little tiny.
Speaker 18: God, I guess.
Speaker 12: Or they also combined the third mind idea to like network consciousness. The one last thing I will say on this before we get to like the AI aspect, I guess. On this culture jamming nonlinearity is the concept of the circuit jump, which was playing back words from from politicians in different contexts as a sort of like a Uno reverso psychic attack, which I don't know if that actually works considering the current's political situation, but this is certainly a tactic to which I have employed many such cases, and we see a lot of people attempt attempt to do this, and I think there are certain figures who have their own very strong magical force field protecting them, which has been pretty evident through the past ten years, including the President of the United States. But as a as a circuit jump is playing something from the wrong the wrong time in a different context as a as a form of attack. The most famous conversion of this, which isn't necessarily for political ends, so this was for personal ends. It's the Burroughs cafe incident, which I've been a fan of for years, in which he was slighted by a cafe so then he started recording.
Speaker 20: All that happened was they changed their menu and he couldn't order the one food that he ordered every day.
Speaker 12: There's been some menus that have changed that I would consider us using this tactic where he recorded sounds from from outside of like people talking or arguing, or walking by or plates dropping, and then played them back outside of the cafe for a series of months until the cafe closed. And this is like the funniest, the funniest form of this sort of magical obsession, because this really is just a crazy guy playing loud sounds in front of a cafe until they close. I mean it worked, of yeah, playing back sounds of you know, arguing, fighting, plates is smashing, which would probably create a negative aura around around this building. But that is that is the most most funny of Burrows the circu jump moment. Although I mean burrows life is full of these humorous and sometimes worrying anecdotes.
Speaker 20: There's one other thing that stuck out to me. Given what a lot of the other talks in that space ended up dealing with, along with AI and stuff, was really the speaker talking a lot about the fact that for Burros and Geyson, the reproduction of reality is how control occurs. And so the goal was to manipulate the reproduction of reality, because if you can manipulate the reproduction of reality, you are also manipulating reality itself, which I don't think anyone went into nearly as much, but is something that we're seeing with say even the Republican Party releasing deep fake videos of Democratic politicians.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and this is something our materialist friend does talk about, is how there's a quote from some neo cons about how like Democrats just have to kind of like you know, react to reality versus the Republicans who generate it, and they like decide what reality is. And you can see this with all of the sort of moral panics which have spread across the United States and around the world the past few years, whether that's gender ideology, with it's immigration, whether that's this non existent crime wave, or it is a genuine like creation of reality. And then this this this goes into you know, the Burrows ideas later get developed by a group of academics and occultists that formed the c c r U. This included say Plant nick Land, who then turned to the dark side, and uh the since past Mark Fisher, who put a name to some of this sort of phenomenon called the hyperstition, which is Robert has talked about before in the show. But it is it is a self fulfilling prophecy. It is a fiction that becomes true through the creation of the fiction and the dissemination of this fiction. And this is part of how reality can get formed, is through these falsehoods that that through through repetition and dissemination, become self manifest.
Speaker 19: The thing about that, though, is that the high perstitional model itself requires to the acceptance of the idea that everything is a fiction.
Speaker 12: Yes, like well yeah, I mean a lot of those things go through a process like this, yes, yes, yes, but doing doing such a thing like intentionally and like offensively, right, which is which is the idea that we're discussing here in like a political context. Is this this this offensive reality formation where you literally decide what is real and like what isn't. And you know, if you have hundreds of millions dollars in like a news company at your disposal, this can become easier.
Speaker 20: Are you saying that media companies are currently cutting up reality to shape it in the image of the people who fund them.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, I mean they are. They are much. It's it's funny because like occultists, I think, are the people who are often.
Speaker 20: The clips are you going to use from the conference?
Speaker 12: And I will later in my written work, But I think on that note, I think occultists are a class of people who are maybe the worst at doing magic, because the people that are really good at this sort of thing are perhaps way better at the occult element of hiding their their you know, awareness of what they are doing, because they at a lot of them know what they're doing. That you just actually keep it a more cultic, whereas the magicians will not shut the fuck up because there's always a there's always a new book to sell.
Speaker 18: That was an excellent segue to an ad break, Laye. Thank you for that, and now a word from our sponsors on this note, though, Gary, I agree with you completely As a former academic and just a healthy level of skepticism going into any magical conference. I sat down, I listened and I've been to enough conferences listening to magicians attempt to map on rather poorly magic onto a cultural figure, and I think Burrows is really unique here. But my academic pretense was to sit here and to listen and think about, you know, language as a pharmicon, think about darry Da Delouze, Baudrard Leotard when they're discussing the master narrative or rewriting the master narrative. But what's unique about Burrows and why I gave up that you know, academic mapping of philosophy and asking myself, why are we having this conversation. We could just go read these texts they talk about similar things. But the point is is that those texts talk about similar things. And what's unique about Burrows is that he's actually doing the doer. He's a doer. This is fundamentally the difference between the vida activa and the vita contempt the taiva. Like I'm thinking in terms of philosophers. And it took me half of this talk to be like, no, he's actually doing shit. As soon as we get out to like, you know, him actually standing out in front of the cafe and doing this. He's not just developing a method, but by virtue of the fact that he's inviting other artists, like the slides upon slides that we saw of him, you know, working with new machines that he was creating and trying these things. He was actively involved in this practice, which again makes them far more magical than most occultists. Don't come for me absolutely.
Speaker 12: AI specifically be discussing debates and uses of generative AI in this conference because the last A Culture conference was in twenty twenty three, as these large language models and image generation platforms were just just starting to gain popularity and now they have a stranglehold over at the stock market and many people's imagination. The first, I guess real debate around AI happened as the three of you stayed to listen to a panel after Willie Mesburrough's panel, as well as a Austin OsmAnd Spare panel, a proto cast magician from the twentieth century. It was a contemporary of Alistair Crowley. I left to go listen to a mathematical thelemic ontology talk, which was probably less interesting than the panel. Hear you guys talk about the debates around AI and how they emerged in this panel, and then also juxtasing that to the different forms of like AI in discussions or an AI that dominated a large part of the rest of the conference.
Speaker 20: Well, actually AI came up because the initial discussion question for the panel was what does it mean to talk about art as magic in the digital era? So everyone was very specifically being asked to discuss the differences between the creation process is magic when you can use AI, when you can use large language models to just generate things, and if the generative method using AI was at all related to say, the cut up method or other things. So that was the initial conversation that began that whole panel.
Speaker 18: Well, and that was certainly a topic that was begged by the other two talks that we didn't really discuss. The Austin Osman spare was about automatic drawing. So this conception and of you know, this drawing that is coming from the outside, coming from the subconscious, coming from within, with all within one line. But more than that, it was a very traditional kind of European nineteen seventies lecture. You know, you had a lovely Italian man who stood in the front that was ready to smoke a cigarette while trying to get through, you know, a very well formulated, well argued essay, while a series of images presented to us behind him that covered an overview of artists that are doing very similar things. He argued, exists in a similar kind of vein and the occurrences of not just magical tropes, but cultural influences that happen independently, so artists all over the world. The third talk by I believe Kate Lady, Yeah, the ritual transformation and hybridity in Leonora Carrington's Judith, which was a stage production which happened in Mexico City, I believe so he had a few pictures of this, but Leonora Carrington's art very specifically has to do with this like hybrid of like animals and mythical figures and creatures, and the stage production was incredibly intense. I really appreciated this talk a lot. But then focus on talking about you know, generative artificial intelligence and these large language models and the role of art or what it means to do art in this era was related to this idea of the third mind, of automatic drawing, of this concept of hybridity, of this like transformative or this discovering of the new through a synthetic putting together of different elements or images, words, sounds, costumery, these kinds of things, so that it was a natural question to lead, but the audience members took it in a very strange direction that I would like you all to talk about.
Speaker 20: I mean, the initial question was really that people started asking after the panel was proposed, was so, what did the panelists think about ai art? Do the panelists think aiart is magic? Do the panelists think that ai art is channeling? Do the panelists think that, you know, putting a prompt and a language model is the same as doing some sort of trans state automatic writing. There was a lot of variations on functionally that all of the panelist's reaction was no, it's not, and a lot of them did not immediately really want to even dive into that topic. And we're very annoyed at the question.
Speaker 18: That's actually not true because I got triggered almost immediately because it was our first speaker that responded not to that first question, but to the second question. And the second question had to do with the role of technology and whether we see that there's a possibility for these tools, you know, as a technology, a techne in magical practice, and our first speaker's reaction was to sit back and give us a tentative yes to the tech, to the tech that's core to AI.
Speaker 20: They were like, their initial rerection was still also no.
Speaker 18: But yes they they indeed got there, but it was unclear at first, and I was a little raw about it, given that seemed completely contrary to the talk that you know that he had mentioned before. There was a question about NFTs. Do you remember this question?
Speaker 20: Oh, I tried to put it immediately out of my head.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was the fact.
Speaker 20: That it started with, like, well, NFTs failed because people like weren't ready to embrace the blockchain as a generative idea for making art, as opposed to the fact that why would I own an NFT if I can screenshot the picture?
Speaker 18: Yeah, Well, it was this idea that like NFTs themselves, were part of this breaking up of the control process, the linearity of money and financial systems, that somehow it was related to the cut up method. It was one of those questions that was a narrative before it finally got to your question that really just invited the readers to respond. There were others that talked about this too, and related their own personal experience to the generative AI process that you know, they approach AI not with the expectation that will provide sense, but it'll almost have this oracular or again this they related it to the third mind, this idea that again you and the AI come together and somehow reveal the new which I at this point was absolutely seething.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 20: I think the closest actually that we had to some really like someone even trying to approach it was asking about, if you're making this art, if you're generating these new things, does it matter that corporations are controlling the algorithm by which you're doing so, which started to touch on some of the problems, but still was definitely relying on the base assumption that using a large language model to produce stories or art, that you're interacting with something else that's actually capable of creating at all.
Speaker 18: And to her credit, my girl Kate Lady, who was talking about Leonora Carrington, the one that seemed to be kind of tangentially separate from the other two but the hybridity really made it was the one that just gave us a great straight Marxist answer of like, no, this is bullshit. Let's actually look at the material implications as to where this is coming from and the environmental costs of running these programs of server farms, the destruction of space of you know, liveable areas throughout the United States. That these are questions that we need to ask and are not separate from these questions of magic. So I really shout out to her. I appreciated that response because it was instant, and it was it was heated.
Speaker 19: It is also, like I mean, from my perspective, it's also a labory she write, because these large language models and generative AI just scrape like so much data that that's like writing from real artists and created by real.
Speaker 18: Like painters and whatever.
Speaker 19: And it is the appropriation of human labor to shit out some advertising. Essentially, that is like my main well, aside from all the ecological and the political issues with it, it's like very much that labor angle to it that frustrates me.
Speaker 18: Well, in the context of the talk, it's really important to then ground And this is the comment that that I made that the panel broadly seemed to agree with, although I didn't really leave them much opportunity to disagree with me. I mean, you're right, Thank you.
Speaker 8: Go on.
Speaker 18: So this Burrow's concept of the third mind, this book that he wrote, right, when two minds collaborate, a third mind or intelligence communicates with you, again, not about creating the new, but about revealing itself in what was already present.
Speaker 12: Yes, but the idea is that you have to have two.
Speaker 18: Minds in order to get this dialectical third mind that was inherent in the conditions, the situation, the language of the two. When one interacts with any form of large language model or chat GBT, I in my mind and with what I carry sit in front of a computer and type my input. That's one mind. Can you tell me where the second is?
Speaker 20: Because even if you're cutting up a book, there's a mind in the book. There's a story, there's an actual thing there, there's a thing that you are interacting with that were thoughts that were produced by someone that you are cutting up. You are not just scraping the toilet bowl of humans production.
Speaker 18: But even if we're going to be generous and say that these large language models are the ones that are doing the cut up process and you are secondary or tertiary or even further down the line to it, I mean it doesn't involve a human intelligence at that point. So just in terms of the you know, the Barosian current, it's just not a third mind. It's the material conditions are such that it is not and cannot be a third mind.
Speaker 12: Where I would like to take this discussion is actually the very next talk that I attended as part of a three talk series called the Politics of Taro, and the specific one that I think continued on this line of thought and even stuff like automatic writing was from Icon to Index by Thomas Leak, the Generative Logic of Taro, in which he discussed I will have to check his name later, but discussed an author in the eighty who was trying to use Taro as a way to remove the human element of writing, try to create an automatic story using the tarot archetypes assembled in a randomized shuffling to generate a story based on the linkages between each of the cards and remove his own agency and directing where the story goes except for trying to bridge each card one to another. And the presenter was was discussing if this bears any similarity to like generative text models. The presenter said no. Presenter said, no, this actually is not like llms, which purely operate on a people pleasing probabilistic capacity to follow one word after another in accordance with whatever the prompt of the person who's operating the AI wants it to generate. Though the presenter stated that this author who was using Tarot probably would have loved using an LLM to try to pomplish this goal of his trying to access kind of like a form of automatic writing similar to Mike austn Osman's Bear, but without human input. The shuffling of the cards and forcing the human brain to make connections between these archetypes still contains a creative human process based on randomness in the shuffling of the deck versus the people pleasing probabilistic generative text that lms produce. This concludes the first episode of My Culture twenty twenty five coverage. In part to releasing Sunday Night. The panel will discuss digital technomancy, traditional magical practice, and why people are doing occult practice in twenty twenty five. See You on the Other Side.
Speaker 2: No, Yep, yep, it's it could happen here.
Speaker 12: Electile Disorder Executive Disorder, which is our weekly newscast which we've been doing all year, so we should we should know what it's called by now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I'm so good at doing it naming it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 12: This show covers what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you and me and everyone else. I'm Garrison Davis. This episode, I'm joined by Robert Evans, James Stout, and Maya Wong, and we are covering the week of October twenty second to October thirtieth.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 9: So I think we should start off the bat by but the same thing we started off last week with, which is that as you're the Halloween. Yeah, well that so on the upside, Halloween woo spooky. On the downside, like forty million people lose, lose, there's no benefits the next day on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what's spookier than that. Look, one thing you can't say about the government is that they're not failing to celebrate the holiday.
Speaker 1: I am scared of the consequences.
Speaker 12: Yeah, stock up on the trigger, treater candy. I guess, steal as much candy as you can.
Speaker 2: You're going to need it to stay alive.
Speaker 1: See a group of children you run past him.
Speaker 2: Tick them. Oh they're kids. They can't stop you.
Speaker 1: Ye, hold it above your head. They can't reach it.
Speaker 12: No, it is. It is extremely grim, and there seems to be no indication from the Republicans of the Trump administration that they are going to work with the Democrats to resolve this without sacrificing healthcare for millions of Americans.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, Gavin Newsom, a friend of the show, has deployed the California National Guard to assist food banks in the state.
Speaker 9: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like, Look, the thing is, when you participate in the largest crackdown and protected First Amendments speech in recent history, you don't get to show up and hand out snacks and feel good. And many food banks, including some in the Bay Area, have refused the help of National Guard members, right because they have this very obvious concern that some people might be reluctant to go to places where the soldiers who are standing right next to all the different immigration agents in la are now working. And so this will have the opposite of a positive effect in those instances, right, people who are afraid to go to food banks and going to remain hungry. The consequences of this will be negative. The issue I don't think is a lack of person power. The issue is a lack of funding. The state has mobilized eighty million dollars in funds, but millions of Californians will be going hungry. And because of the failure of state authorities to stop federal authorities deploying the National Guard to LA and to other areas where immigration enforcement was happening, this stunt that Newsmen is going for could have very negative consequences for for food banks and for Californians who are hungry. Something sick and cool you can do if you have the means and the time is to pick up food from food banks for people who need it. A lot of people might be concerned.
Speaker 12: One of the biggest problems is how much food banks get food also through these programs, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean support. Yeah, food banks themselves are going to be struggling right now. So like I actually I did a thread on lib on blue sky. Where were you going to say? Lived Twitter and then corrected to blue Sky. I was going to say lib Sky. Yeah, yeah, I fact checked myself. It's blue wave Sky.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 12: You cannot get that past me. I could pick up on what you were doing.
Speaker 1: I garitone Davis like a viper struck. Yeah, at the core of my thought process. Yeah, So if you're on if you're on Skeeter, then you can you can find the threader made I link in the show notes with food banks that are looking for donations, and you can also had to find a food bank in your area if you're interested in that. But yet, this is a serious problem. The should be the biggest news story. I'm thinking particularly of those folks in Alaska right who found themselves as climate refugees due to this storm right which flooded their villages, and now not only facing the loss of their villages and their homes, but also all their cased food. These are people who often would have hunted or fished or relied on storing food for the winter, and now finding themselves unable to access federal benefits.
Speaker 2: Doing the thing that like. There's a representative. Clay Higgins of Louisiana made a tweet today blaming Snap recipients for not stockpiling a month's worth of food.
Speaker 1: Does he understand how this works?
Speaker 2: He said, Try to get your head wrapped around how many pantries you can stock with forty two hundred dollars, which is what people get on average per year. If he says, with Snap benefits in properly shopped groceries, any American who's been receiving forty two hundred dollars per year of free grocer reason does not have at least one month of grocery stock should never again receive Snap because wow, stop smoking crack.
Speaker 12: That's inhumane.
Speaker 2: Dealing with the shit that they talk about is almost pointless because they're all liars. But like, as like what you said, Like people are on Snap for a wide variety of reasons. They're largely employed. They're just not getting enough money to actually like survive and feed their family. And like the forty two hundred dollars a year for a family is not in fact enough to stockpile a huge quantity of food.
Speaker 1: No, it's not like it's remarkable how totach the people who make our laws off from Yeah, the working class experience.
Speaker 9: There is no way that guy knows how much of banana costs, No way, zero, Well.
Speaker 2: He has no idea. That man isn't shopped for himself in fucking twenty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that guy does not know how much it cost to buy mac and cheese for your kids.
Speaker 2: And obviously you know we hear we talk about storing food, about canning your own food, and there are things you can do even on a budget when you don't have much money to build a stockpile. And that's why I encourage people to pay attention to things like prices at the grocery store when things are a lot cheaper because they're in season, and learn how to do things like pressure can right and pickle different foods you want it, because there are ways that you can. And this is why, right, it's not because you should be doing that irresponsible, it's because we even when it comes to the social safety net, you know that we have what little of one that we have. You can't rely on it because at any given point it could become a fucking fucking football for Democrats and Republicans to fight over and go away. Right, Like, none of this stuff is reliable, which is why people ought to, if it's at all possible, be doing stuff like that, right, not because they should have to do that, but because you cannot rely on the government.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And I don't say that as like a critique of people or to like shit on people. It's just like it's a it's a fact. It's the fact that people need to increasingly accept because this is not going to be getting better in the long run. Yeah, let's talk about Graham Platner.
Speaker 1: All right, Oh god, I do so to touch politicians.
Speaker 2: A couple of weeks ago, James brought up Graham Plattner, who is running for Congress in Maine, and some ads that he had put out which were really and I still think are really good ads, good ads in terms of they were effective objectively. He raised a lot of money. He was leading in the polls prior to us. We'll talk about a bunch of scandals coming out. He's no longer leading, but he was doing very well for a while. So his campaign, the strategy that he was following, which was largely a mix of talking about and really pushing investments in social programs and particularly healthcare, and attacking the billionaire class in very stark terms. Talked about they need to effectively get rid of that as a group of people, like tax them out of existence. That's a popular you know, and a good thing to campaign on. And the success that he had early on is evidence that there's a lot of legs to talking about that kind of stuff, and the way that he didn't he talked about in a very combative way. Right, this guy was a former marine. Yeah, some sort of fisherman. I think whatever kind of he's like fish. I think it's an oyster farmer or some shit whatever. They have a the nonsense State, Sorry Maynites.
Speaker 1: They called maniacs. Technically I think they're called maners. That copy right Garrison.
Speaker 2: So he was coming across as a very like blue collar guy, right, like a very and kind of crude, but crewed in a like I'm a straight talker sort of guy. And that worked. That that was a good campaign, and we highlighted that because I think it struck you know, James is the one who brought it to our attention, but I think it struck all of us as, oh, yeah, this is a guy who was kind of doing talking to voters in a way that we wish more Democrats were right. And then in the last couple of weeks, oh god, so many scamps come out about this guy. The most well known of them as that for the last twenty years of his life he has had a totin cough tattooed over his pectoral that is the Death's Head. Now, it dates back before the Nazis. It was a niche. I don't know if this was the very first use of it, but the very first prominent use of it in military history was as the insignia for a unit called the Death'shead Hussars, which was an elite German cavalry unit. I mean, I'm sure I think they did still exist in World War One, but they were that was well past their prime. And it was then adopted by the SS, and it was worn by a number by a lot of guys in the SS, but it was specifically the insignia of a unit called the totenkof SS, which existed to guard concentration camps and death camps. So having one tattooed.
Speaker 1: On you bad, Yeah, not cool.
Speaker 2: Platner has said, basically, it was a dumb tattoo I got when I was young and just joining the Marine Corps, and I didn't know what it meant. And I am willing to believe that like a nineteen year old who joins the Marines would make a bad tattoo decision, because I have a lot of friends that were in the Marines and they all have bad tattoos, right, none of them have Death's heads.
Speaker 12: So you got it well in like Croatia drunk.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, and he was, he was hammered.
Speaker 12: And yeah, the probability of walking into a tattoo shop in Croatia and coming out with a Nazi tattoo is extremely high.
Speaker 2: Sure, Yeah, it's not low.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, they're on the flash seat for Friday the thirteenth. They probably are.
Speaker 2: If it had just come out that he'd had this for some period of time, being like, yeah, I got like I was hammered in Croatia and I got a fucked up tattoo and realized it and got it covered. I had it been like not a story, right, like man gets bad tattoos, dumb kid. But number one, he kept it until he got it covered in like the last week or so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me tell you that was a real piece of odd that he covered.
Speaker 2: It with, which is a wild choice to just keep it for that long. But also he and I had no idea until it like came out as a story because I forget what outlet, but some news outlet found out that he had it and was going to publish it, and I.
Speaker 1: Think his team told Pod Save America when he went on the PUD Save America pod.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, but he had heard that there was opposition research.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, because he had sent out to like another thing that he went on, like a picture of him with his shirt off, and they were like, wait, what, Like.
Speaker 1: There were a few of them floating around.
Speaker 8: Huh.
Speaker 1: If you've lived that kind of life, there's going to be pitches of you with the shirt off, you know, like the refusing to acknowledge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I knew earlier in my life that it was a death's head and like there's reports from people who knew him that he called it a tote gough and joked about it.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. I'll be clear.
Speaker 2: I don't actually think that Graham is a secret Nazi sleeper agent. I really don't. I think he's a guy with really questionable judgment, which is where he's and you know, to be very critical of his campaign. And yeah, I take a lot of issue with how he's responded to this because rather than again just kind of doing a MEA POPA, he's gone on the this is my enemies in the Democratic Party trying to silence me thing and a very weird coalition has propped up kind of around him, trying to argue that this is a circular firing squad kind of deal. Like there was a Jacobin article being like it's fucked up that people are going after Graham and the pod Save guys are defending him, like it is a weird coalition that's circling around this fella.
Speaker 12: What do you think that Joe Rogan of the Left meant? Vibes essays.
Speaker 1: We wanted a guy who took loads of steroids and didn't have problematic opinions.
Speaker 2: I'm never gonna say this in any other instance about Joe Rogan, but he wouldn't have gotten that tattoo because he knows what a death said.
Speaker 12: I don't know if he knew in like two thousand and seven or what. I think there's a very strong innate world where two thousand and seven, Joe Rogan is traveling at accidentally gets a god tattoo.
Speaker 2: It's not impossible. You're right, You're right. I guess I'm just assuming he's watched enough World War two documentaries to know.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but watching those while like smoking weeds, so he doesn't remember anything.
Speaker 2: That's fair. These are fair points. You're making Garrison. So a couple of surprising things about this, and this is not the only scandal that's kind of come out about him recently, but at number one, it did not immediately take a strong hit to his polling. This seems to be primarily just because a lot of voters aren't aware of it. Because in poles where they at where they informed people that he had a Nazi tattoo, his support drops dramatically by like thirty points. That said, he was leading until like two or three days ago, I think was the most recent poll that came out that had a main governor, Janet Mills, in the lead above him. We're not talking about the main race. This is we're still in the primary, right, so he's challenging Janet Mills for the primary.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: And yeah, at present, according to so called strategies who did a pole very recently and it's the most recent poll, Mills has forty one percent from likely voters and Platner has thirty six percent, although about a fifth of respondence are undecided. And yeah, this is a pretty dramatic upset because prior to the whole Nazi tattoo news coming out, Platner was leading Mills by about thirty four points. So this has gone from Platner looked to have it in the bag to it's pretty close. Mills is ahead, not by a lead that's so commanding that it's a definite thing. You know, a standard polling error could have them basically be neck and neck, and we all should know at this point how frequently that kind of stuff happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, polling never wrong.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so I don't know. It's one of those. Somebody got angry at us on the subreddit, being like, I can't believe they're hiding that like this has happened, you know, with this guy that they endorsed like we did Endor seven Uber two like this, this shit was breaking. When we were recording the ed last week. We made like a reference about it, but not much had come out, and there certainly hadn't been time for us to really look into what was going on here. And it's not this is a main Senate primary, and this is not like the very top of our list of crucial things to hit the second it happens. We can wait on something like this to see how stuff's shaking out.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 2: No one's voting yet, so It's not like we're influencing the election by not coming out or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like we only get to coup so much. We have one hour of like News round up show a week, and the Blue Sky Twitter drama about Grand Plannery is not as important as the fact that millions of people are losing their food this week.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: One thing that is interesting, and I do think this is an important race just because of kind of what it says about what sort of strategies are working now and igniting the base, and what kind of stuff does matter in terms of scandals. I think there are some things that are really relevant here. One thing that is interesting to me is that, according to a poll, very recent poll the article came in October twenty sixth, twenty twenty five, majority of young Democrats still back Graham Platner even after the whole tattoo thing. And this is really interesting to me because the data shows that in general, among likely voters, his potential support plummets when people are made aware that he had the tattoo. But young Democrats are by far the group most likely to have become aware of it as soon as the story broke, because young people are much more online than older people, and among young people he's still well ahead, which I really just do think speaks more than anything to the strength of the rhetoric he has been using. The platform that he came out the gate with. It's and the rhetoric right, his combative rhetoric is really attractive to young voters, especially.
Speaker 1: Explain your generation to us Garrison, why you like this.
Speaker 12: I mean, there's a lot of stuff that the Zoron campaign kind of like ignited around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, exactly absolute rhetoric.
Speaker 12: And then you know, Sanders and AOC had their anti oligarchy tour, which I mean, we don't need to like debate like the use of like that term. But no, there isn't a huge frustration at the geriatric Democratic Party, and this sort of populist rhetoric is very popular among young people as it as it has been since the Sanders campaign in twenty sixteen. This isn't like new a revolutionary information. The fact that this guy has gotten to this point has gotten either past scandals or it's navigating through it. Despite his like you know, very questionable background and military and uh military private contracting, his like misogynistic Reddit posts which were unearthed as as like an attack against him, which I think he actually handled that scandal fairly well, using it as a parallel to chart his own political journey. So yeah, I can understand why a whole bunch of young people who are reading about this aren't gonna actually care at all about any of these stories and still vote for him because of what he's saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I want to be clear, I didn't bring this up because it's bad even that, like young people are still supporting him. I think this is something that people, especially in the Democratic Party, who care about winning, And I think it's people on the left who are trying to look at what can we do to get more progressive and combative candidates who are going to do something both about the right and about the billionaire class. What can we do to actually like win. You should be paying attention to this because this this rhetoric works.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and because surely there's one other guy who can say these things enough. You can find one person who could use rhetoric, is good on camera and has not had a totalent CoV tattooed on their chest for almost twenty years.
Speaker 9: Yeah. And also the most wild part about this, I don't even think is that it's that this guy was in Blackwater, like so Eid's constell Us, but he calls it Blackwater.
Speaker 1: He was, yeah, that's the other scandals. Please, let's let's yeah.
Speaker 9: He deployed to Afghanistan for Blackwater in twenty eight their first shrug administration. No one at any point in this process went, hold on, wait, this guy went to fight in Afghanistan, like in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 16: Like, yeah, they prosecuted the guys from Nisar Square, Yeah, from the Sour Square massacre. Yeah, after the square, Like those people got prosecuted four years before that.
Speaker 9: And he joined Blackwater in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: And to be clear, because this is something James brought up when we talked about this in our chat previously, he didn't technically join Blackwater because Blackwater has changed its name and I think merged for a couple of countries. It was a culprit.
Speaker 1: But to be fair to me, yeah, he got all that Blackwater. He said, I worked for Blackwater. There's a way in which like, I'm okay with people fucking up if they acknowledge they funked up, right, Like, I'm okay with him saying I did this and it was wrong, So I left and I regret doing it.
Speaker 12: I mean that that is what he's saying, though it was specifically after this deployment. Yes, this is where he says that like this marked his like political coticalization or like yeah, during the path of like how he viewed his life in politics specifically was negative experiences during this deployment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I guess that is something I have really complicated opinions on because I'm I'm not and I really have a lot of issues with folks on the left who are like anyone who was ever in the military is forever and deeply like I think that's yeah, deeply, deeply unseerious and incredibly counterproductive. And I don't I think that, like it's good that someone can do something as fucked up as joined Blackwater and realize that they did a harleble thing and change. Maybe doing it in twenty eighteen is too recently for me to want him in Congress as a progressive.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was like that was it was like a decade after like he was one of the so he wasn't one of the like the torture guards. But no, no, like when he was a marine. He guard, He was like one of the guys he was like assigned to guard Aubu Grab. Yeah, I think, yeah, the torture scandal. But it's it's like it took you, it took you like a decade after that. Yeah, is that maybe the thing I'm doing is bad? Like I just I just oh god.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, And that's that's kind of like the because I don't, you know, I don't think having been stationed to guard a place where horrible thing like war crimes were committed necessarily damns you forever, because like you don't choose where you're stationed. A guard who knows when he became aware what was going on in the place he was guarding, But at some point he did and that wasn't like the moment where he was like, ah fuck, you know. And I again, I have a lot of friend I have friends who were with the very first infantry unit into Iraq, one of whom, as they were invading, was like, you know this is criminal, guys, right, you know we're breaking you know this is fucked up. You know this this war's bullshit. Pat Tillman was saying that, right, like Derd.
Speaker 9: The invasions, this guy ship out in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like it took him.
Speaker 9: I would it took him, manutes, it took him reasonably long time. And also when you read his interviews about it, he's like, I did it because it was.
Speaker 2: Fun, which is just like, that's that's honest.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's honest. It makes me insane.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean, that's that's why people join the Marines, is they like money and or they're adrenaline jokies.
Speaker 1: Right, I'd rather he was honest about that shit. Actually, like I I am. It is just like distressing.
Speaker 2: I actually like that. And again I do kind of like because there's not a there's not a perfect answer as to like, well, when should you have had a change of heart about something like this before you can like be trusted as a political leader on the left. And I actually don't really know. I think I would be inclined to be like give him the benefit of the doubt on that stuff more if it weren't for the not.
Speaker 9: Yeah, play shift out with plug eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all those things together are kind of sketchy.
Speaker 9: Maybe do a couple of tours as a dog catcher first.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, I'm seeing a lot of because there's a whole lot of like, well, no one else who has a chance of winning in Maine is supporting the progressive policies he is. You know, you can't have it all be perfect or whatever he's you know, we should at least hope that he gets in and he does the things he's saying. And I guess, like, if he does get elected, and it's not the most likely thing right now, but it's certainly not impossible, I guess I hope he does the good stuff he says that he's done. I just have a lot less faith in that, given both what's coming and his reaction to it.
Speaker 1: Right, it's his reaction to it. It was really disqualifying, right, like, right, there's a world I guess I didn't know that he told people it was a total golf that's pretty fucking incriminating.
Speaker 12: But yeah, there's reports from people who have said that it's it's unclear.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's reports, got it.
Speaker 2: We don't know objectively, but people have talked to the press who knew him and said that he described it as a total cough to them several years ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, if his response had been like, oh fuck, I didn't know let me get that covered up immediately. That's his response was so bad. To defend it and to be like there's a conspiracy against it. Really bad. It's that failure. And it also just shows like a lack of judgment and lack of ability to like be critical of his own actions, which is worrying.
Speaker 2: It shows the kind of Trumpian fancifulness that really worries me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, demnic Augay kind of thing.
Speaker 12: A lot of populists are like this, like this is this is a part of populist Yes, yes, I don't think you can fully decouple.
Speaker 2: That's probably true, Garrison. Yeah, that's probably true, But I I don't know. I'm not gonna tell you how to vote. I've made a habit of never telling people how to vote. So if you're in Maine, enjoy your mc lobster and do whatever your heart tells you. It's the right thing to do, my friend. But also, please don't eat a mc lobster there. It's clearly poisoned, you know. Avoid avoid a mc lobster's at all costs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, buy an oyster ins to it.
Speaker 12: The strongest endorsement Robert Ethans can make, is it not by a MC lobster.
Speaker 2: Avoid a MC lobster at all costs.
Speaker 1: If you're on the West coast, avoid shellfish, and in some months it will costs because you can get paralytic shellfish poisoning.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean some people, that's just basically getting free muscle relaxers.
Speaker 12: James's let's do it ad break for muscle at excerpts. Okay, all right, we are back. Can I do my Halloween ice Nazi? Sure Bevino segment? Is that how you say his name? Bavino?
Speaker 3: Greg?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Greg Green?
Speaker 12: It looks like a Bavino to me. So we're gonna talk about him playing dress up and how border patrol disrupted a Halloween parade. So last weekend, while conducting an immigration enforcement range, border patrol disrupted the root of a children's Halloween parade in Old Irving Park in Chicago, using tear gas and arresting several people, including two US citizens. A crowd gathered around after a border patrol arrested a thirty five year old construction worker who has lived in Chicago since he was four years old. Jesus neighborhood residents said that federal agents then deployed tear gas without warning that following Tuesday, the ARC attacked of Operation Midway Blitz. Greg Bavino appeared in a federal corps a part of a lawsuit alleging excessive force and violations of a tro restricting the use of tear gas and crowd control munitions. Bavino seems to be flagrantly violating this tro as he was photographed personally throwing a tear guest canister into a crowd in October twenty second during a raid on a laundromat and home depot. The DHS says that protesters were throwing rocks and Border Patrol issued warnings, though this account is contradicted by video of the incident. US District Judge Sarah Ellis told the Border Patrol chief quote, kids dressed in Halloween costumes walking to a parade do not pose an immediate threat to the safety of law enforcement officers. They just don't, and you can't use riot control weapons against them. Unquote. This tro requires that crowd control munitions may only be used as someone pose as an immediate threat to law enforcement agents instructed to give two verbal warnings before tear gas pepper spray can be deployed, and to wear body cams, badges, or visible ideas. This order was issued on October ninth to get an idea of how closely this is being followed. Lavino himself still is not where a body cam and told Judge ellis quote, I have not received a body worn camera nor the training unquote.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Body of Troll agents have generally, just to give some context here, not worn body worn cameras for a number of reasons. Firstly, they just don't want to. Secondly, no one's making them. Thirdly, they believe that it is possible for people to detect the bluetooth signal that the camera gives out and thus find them. This is something that is theoretically possible as best my research can tell. You can make your own judgment as to which those factors is weighing most heavily on their choice not to wear them, but that they have never been required as a group to wear body worn cameras all the time.
Speaker 12: Now this judge is trying to force them to. They're just refusing to follow the order. Even despite Bavino saying that ninety nine percent of agents have these cameras, which is bizarrely specific claim.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, is he the one percent?
Speaker 9: Like, I guess it's like he's just so obviously lying. It's just oh god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's just it's lying. We I think we that should be enough to say. Yeah, I don't know if I said they never wear them. To be clear, they have gone forward and back on wearing them. But it was earlier this year that the specific security risk.
Speaker 12: They have access to the cameras. Yes, yes, they're just refusing to follow this order.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 12: The same complaint that alleged that Vino threw a canister with their justification into this crowd also details an incident from the next day, October twenty third, where agents without wearing identification as required by the order, shot a protester in the neck with pepperball from five feet away, and while driving away, pointed a pepper ball gun and I'm gonna read from the complaint quote and then a real gun at declarant Chris Gentry, a combat veteran who was lawfully standing on the side of the road voicing his opposition as agents were driving by in their vehicles. The agent who pointed the real gun at mister Gentry's face said, quote bang bang, you're dead liberal unquote great, cool, anyway, plaintifs have requested bodycam footage of this incident, which has yet to be provided.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I think it's worth noting that, I mean, they do this every single time there is any kind of protest, they do stuff like this. They've been pointing guns at people the entire time they've been here.
Speaker 12: They've been putting a lot of guns the past few months, as we have reported.
Speaker 1: Yes they have.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they they kill people, two people.
Speaker 1: They've shot more than two people. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Saying something like this is insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah no. Yeah, it shows obviously like a complete lack of concern for accountabit right now, like like absolutely no thought that you could be held accountable for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, And it also shows a desire to kill liberally, yes, yeah, which liberals need to be aware of.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You can't let this organization continue to exist, nor can you let the people doing this stay free. If you ever take power again, there has to be accountability, and there has to be an end to their ability, to the ability of any law enforcement agency to exist knowing that they are unaccountable and cannot be punished for the violence that they do to civilians.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I'll take this point to mention that we've covered CBP and DHS's previous shootings in previous years and the internal review process they have for those, which has led to a lack of accountability even when compared to other law enforcement officers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 12: During this hearing this last Tuesday, the judge declined to alter the tier row to ban the use of tear gas completely, saying that she believes Baveno quote understands where I'm coming from. End quote. I don't know that we're gonna see a whole lot of tear gas being deployed over the next week. Unquote cool, great, amazing stuff, jumping out an our traditionary.
Speaker 1: Greg's picking up on the vibe. So we should be fine now.
Speaker 12: Yeah, this Buffdo guy seems incredibly trustworthy. Though Judge Ellis did instruct Blevino to meet with her every weekday evening throughout Operation Midway Blitz till the next hearing in November to provide instant briefings on use of force, though just one day later, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals blocked Judge Ellis's order requiring these daily reports. In some other Bovino mows Earlier this week, news broke that top ICE field office chief are set to be reassigned and replaced by senior Border Patrol and CBP officials with the goal of netting more arrests to boost deportation numbers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the role of Border Patrol Germany is into patrol the physical border and to do enforcement in that one hundred mile border zone. Right. Their role of ICE, the majority of ICE agents are not the people that you see out there, yea, jumping out of cars and doing these these smashing grabs. Right. The majority of ICE agents people who will work in the office, who will check in with migrants through their intensive supervision program, which is one of their quote unquote alternatives to detention. Right. Both of these agencies, you know, are relatively aligned with what I'll call like Donald Trump's agenda. But Border patrol particularly has made a name for itself, like Bevino himself and other Border Patrol chiefs were there was a time and it looked like they were going to force Veino to retire, and that time was twenty twenty three read briefing against it by an administration, Right, Brevino has been kind of particularly emblematic of this new border patrol approach, and it is particularly BP that has been aligned just with with a lot of things that you know, they had, they had issues getting people vaccinated, right like with this whole kind of political social media that is representative of the modern right we see with isoations. Like some of these people, I'm not going to say they joined like looking to help, you know, maybe like make the word actually a happy place, but like they they are reasonable civil servants, right Like, Like I've talked to plenty of migrants who have gone to there and you and you'll hear from some of them in a scripted series next month, gone to their ice check into been like, that was fine, that person was professional, that they seemed genuinely concerned for things I'm facing, and you know I was not unduly harassed, made to feel uncomfortable, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 12: Now the border patrol agents are like particularly brutal.
Speaker 1: I have not heard that's same. That was a reasonable professional about border patrol agents from migrants. Yeah, border patrol also has a pretty high churn, right as you know, so that they have a lot of people who have joined since let's say the first Trump admin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that may kind of change things because those people are joining specifically because they want to fuck with migrants. And while that's always been a thing for Border Patrol, a lot of people join the Border Patrol because it's the easiest way to become technically a federal agent. Yeah, and it can be a path to becoming a better kind of federal agent.
Speaker 1: Sure, you can be.
Speaker 2: A career thing, which is why part of why there's so much ch part of why.
Speaker 1: BP just to like characterize some of the issues the organization has had, right has consistently offered waivers the academic qualifications other agencies would not offer waivers for they have a problem, a serious problem with sexual assault, not just of migrants, but of women in the Border Patrol. They call the women in the Border Patrol the fierce five percent because this is an agency that has not succeeded in getting more than five percent of his agents to be women. Like it is an agency that has I guess for one of a better term radicalized, even even you know within DHS agencies.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean all of the most brutal incidents have used forced in like Portland in twenty twenty that came from FEDS was Border Patrol.
Speaker 1: That was Bortech, Yeah, boord Tech. Yeah. I would encourage people, if they want to get a sense of how Border Patrol sees itself, to go to the social media page that Baveno curates and has created for a while to look. And again he was my understanding, like hemmed up for his social media posts in the Biden administration. He's obviously not being restrained in that way. Now, go and look at I think it's called Border Patrol Special Operations Command or DHS Special Operations Command, which includes Bortach. Go and look at their pages. Right, Like these guys they see themselves in the realm of like a military branch or a paramilitary police.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and that is what they are doing in Chicago.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 12: NBC is reporting that the White House has approved three assignment of at least a dozen directors of ice Field offices, with sources telling Fox News that the cities will include Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, Philadelphia, El Paso, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, and New Orleans. This is almost half of the ice Field offices in the country. This turnover is being orchestrated by DHS Secretary Christine Nome and DHS senior advisor Corey Lewandowski, with some of the replacements being hand picked by Bevino. This is like Bevino began to shape ICE how he sees fit using his border patrol like background, and these changes are reportedly motivated on differing views on tactics across agency leadership with the ICE strategy like the Tom Holman strategy of focusing on targeted removal of known criminals or immigrants with pre existing deputation orders versus the border patrol of doing these large sweeps and roundups around places like hom deepos, laundromats, restaurants, neighborhoods, urban centers.
Speaker 1: So Bavino like has been on this for a minute, right like, and I'm now realizing we need to cover his his career in more depth. But like I've seen this, Oh where did Bevino come from? Stuff? In twenty ten, when he was out of at the Blithe Border Patrol station I believe Blyza, California. For those not familiar, Bavino was part of a raid on bus and train stations in Las Vegas, right like, these these broader kind of dragnets have been something that he seems to have been a characteristic of his career, right, so that would make sense for him to be the guy advocating for this now.
Speaker 12: The official statement made by DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin at this point says, quote, while we have no personnel changes to announce at this time, the Romme administration remains laser focused on delivering results and removing violent criminal legal aliens from this country. And she followed up this statement with a tweet naming a whole bitch of people involved in all of these news stories, including Bavino and like, praising them for their patriotism. Let's take a look at two pictures of Boveto here for his courtroom attire. Who wants to describe what Bavito is wearing here?
Speaker 1: It looks like a statue of Stalin.
Speaker 2: He looks like a guy in the SS is dressing as a guy in the SS for Halloween.
Speaker 12: I don't think it's very Stalin. I think it's very German.
Speaker 9: N Actually, that.
Speaker 2: Is an ssque looking coat. I'm sorry, it's intense.
Speaker 12: He has the little is little stars on his collar and yeah, this this like boxy wool trench coat. It's very with the like shaved sides of his head. It's very clear what he is trying to evoke. This is a little bit koy, but like come on, come on, dude, and to follow this up, like DHS is really is really pushing Bavino now is like the face of this, this mass deportation push and they're making fucking like fash wave pype fash wave hype edit reels.
Speaker 1: Of show it. God it's mass.
Speaker 12: And I will I'll play the whole thing, but really it's the first two seconds that demonstrate what's what's going on here.
Speaker 1: This will be linked in the notes. I didn't realize it was Hampster Dance Coldplay on the soundtrack, Like I I had never listened to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a choice.
Speaker 12: We're not gonna play much of that audio, garretson, We're gonna play we are not playing thirty seconds of copyrighted audio, but just the first literally the first two seconds of him doing what is very clearly a se kyle and then transferring it into like military hand signals, but like come on, dude, and then throughout throughout this the rest of the little fash wave edit, it's like pictures of him and his like uh, you know, tactical gear, and then pictures of him in what you I would describe as an SS inspired military dress uniform with the little you know, the stars, the trench code. It's like very clear what he's doing. The DHS Twitter account has been doing these little cute Nazi posts for a long time. Now they know what they're doing. It's yeah, but specifically this now being like the the new kind of face of this of this whole operation, both by playing a hand in restructuring the leadership of ICE and deploying to the forefront of paces like Chicago as he leads and orchestrates the mass deportation operation like Operation Midway Blitz like blitz really do blitz yest interesting, interesting, unfucking believable that the fact that this guy was not canned by any previous Democrat administration, like like about like abolishing ICE is is obviously like not enough here, because as we're talking about the way that like border patrols actually been the ones leading the most brutal of these raids, I think like there is a specific focus on like ICE because that's like a safer target. I get like it feels like because people know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: All of DHS, we need to get rid of.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the fact that this guy wasn't fired is going to be looked back upon in the same way that like Allende promoting Pinochet is looked back on.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, what how else do you describe it?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Like, if there was going to be a free country, all of this shit, all of the DHS agencies, all of this needs to cease to exist as a minimum, and these people need to be like haled in front of a neurobird tribunal, and that's that's the minimum viable. There might be a democracy after that.
Speaker 2: We need so many Neurembergs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And like it's not but I don't want to burn a bloat about this. It's not hard to have seen this coming. We have talked about this four years, right, Like, yeah, this began in the nineteen nineties with Operation Gatekeeper, Operation Hold the Line. We've documented this extensively. We've documented the fact that under the Biden administration there was virtually no oversight, right that they were able to detain people outdoors without food, water, or shelter and deny that those people were detained. This is all stuff that we've covered. If it wasn't in your news diet, then you should question the news sources that you were using. But like, it was very easy to see this coming, and as Mia said, very little was done to prevent it during the last four years yep.
Speaker 2: And somewhat more amusing news during the ongoing trial over the different federal agents deployed to Portland and the necessity of that federal deployment and potentially the mobilization of National Guard troops in Oregon being sent to Portland, which is still being fought over in the courts. Portland police were brought up on the stand and testified that during one night out at Ice, federal officers gassed Portland police and fired pepper balls at one officer. And when Portland Police confronted federal not ice, sorry but these are these are federal FPS agents outside of the ICE building.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when Portland Police confronted the FPS agents afterwards, they responded help or get out of the way.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And this is simply there's no actually, there's no there's no rules of engagement, right, rules of engagement for you know, soldiers in the like are supposed to be stuff like you don't fire until a certain standard of danger exists. Right, you don't. There are rules at which point you are allowed to engage with which kinds of weapons, right your r Oh, we may say one thing about using a night stick or and it will say something else about using dear gas or whatever. There's no actual ro for these guys. They're allowed to just kind of fire whenever they want, and they're not well trained. They're not very good at what they do. Most of them have not actually had the kind of draining I've been supposed to have with these weapons systems they're using, and they're just kind of firing willy and illy, which is why they've been heading cops repeatedly.
Speaker 1: Most FS agents are contractors. They're not full time law enforcement officers.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Talking of things that it would have been easy to see coming, I want to talk about ICE's facial recognition app. So I've seen a piece of four four media. Four and four media is the most annoying outlet to read pieces in because they will send you seventeen emails a day. Four A form media suggests that ICE is claiming a facial recognition match in its app mobile Fortify is a definitive determination of somebody's status. They're quoting here the ranking member of the House Home Land Security Committee, Benny G. Thompson, as saying, quote mobile Fortify is a dangerous tool in the hands of ICE, and it puts American citizens a risk of detention and even deportation. He also said that quote ICE officials have told us that an apparent biometric match by mobile fortifier is a definitive determination of a person's status, and that an ICE officer may ignore evidence of American citizenship, including a birth certificate, if the app says the person is an alien. ICE using a mobile biometrics app in this way, in ways its developers at CBP never intended or tested, is a frightening, repugnant, and unconstitutional attack on Americans rights and freedoms. Thompson is misguided if he thinks that like this is new, it is new, and that's that its impacted US citizens. Yes, this article, for reasons I cannot explain, does not mention CBP one right, and as is often the case some immigration reporting that we see now, it's completely lacking in context. The context here is at CBP one is an app developed in the first Trump administration. It's often referred to as a Biden app because the definitive political question of our time is who was present in twenty twenty.
Speaker 12: There's just no way to know.
Speaker 2: It's impossible to say you can't do data on anything happening that far back.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, I have a new one which is more recent, which we're going to talk about next.
Speaker 12: Groc This is real.
Speaker 1: But CBP one was effectively determinative for migrants, right. We've covered this in great detail here. There were some public records about CBP one that I've looked at extensively. There's sort of too long didn't read. Version is app did not work well on Android phones, especially previous generation Android phones, which are very common among people coming from the Global South. The facial liveness scan. So what the facial liveness scan does is that let's say Robert is coming to the US, right, they wanted to check that the phone is being held by Robert, that it's not been held someone's not holding up a photograph of Robert in front of the camera, right, So you sort of move it around. Then it determines that it's a real three D face, not a photograph. It really struggled with black faces. I've seen this firsthand.
Speaker 2: I've all this stuff does that's the same thing with like how there have been like motion activated fossets and stuff that wouldn't recognize dark scale.
Speaker 1: It's a data set that they put in right to my understand Yeah, the results of those scans were determinative for migrants, right. It could determine their ability to make an asylum appointment and therefore to enter the US and make a claim for asylum. This caused people to remain in various very dangerous situations. It has probably led to people dying. It's another example of why we have to pay attention to the border if you want to know what's coming down the pipe domestically, and talking of shit that is coming down the pipe from the border domestically. I want to talk about public lands again because Utah Senator Mike Lee is back on his bullshit. This time he has another bill. People will remember that Mike Lee tried to insert in the budget reconciliation bill a massive sell off of public lands, right. And what Lee does is he uses whatever terminology he thinks will make people support this crusade he has against land zone by the public for if we want to access In the last time, he tried to wrap it up a language about affordable housing. If you read the bill, you would have seen that there wasn't going to result in any affordable housing. This time, he's wrapping it up in the language of border security. And this is where I'm where We're going to return to the defining political question of our time. Who is President? Because Lee, who introduced the bell in October of twenty twenty five, said, and I quote, Biden's open border chaos is destroying American's crown jewels. Families who want to enjoy a safe hike or camp out are instead finding trash piles, burned landscapes, and trails closed because rangers are stuck clearing up the fallout cartails are exploding their disorder, using these lands as cover for their operation. This bill GIFs land managers and border agents the tools to restore order and protect these places for the people they were meant to serve. Diligent observers will notice that Biden is no longer the president of the United States, and further diligent observers will notice that many people currently working for the federal government on public lands are being laid off or furloughed due to the government shutdown. What Lee's bill would do is allow dhs to identify illegal roads in public land areas and then to upgrade them to navigable roads. This is important because the nineteen sixty four Wilderness Act doesn't allow motorized access to wilderness areas, and what Lee is proposing is that they would identify these illegal roads within one hundred mile zone. But he is proposing a blanket change to the nineteen sixty four Wilderness Act to allow the construction of roads, which would completely change the nature of wilderness in the United States. And sometimes a sliperslow argument can also be a fallacy, but in this case, building roads into the wilderness will permanently change the nature of their wilderness and will lead to other losses of protection on public land. Lee makes the argument that it's important for search and rescue and for border access. There is already mechanized access for search and rescue. They give search and rescue helicopters, for instance, can access wilderness areas that they have agreements in place with land management agencies which allow them to do this already when there is a risk to human life. The bill also talks about removing invasive species and reducing fire risk by removing fire fuels down by the border. Again, I'm guessing what this would do would be This would I mean if you fire fuels like look at the souther border near where I live, right, like think of the California sage brush chaparral. Like, clearing fire fuels there would completely change that landscape forever. It would remove much of the value that this wilderness has not as untouched. Right, people have lived in this area for tenths of thousands of years, and that they have touched that nature, and they have lived alongside it and worked with it. But it is an area that is significantly less damaged than most of the United States.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: The bill would also inventory fires and damage to wilderness caused by migrants. I guess this is just an attempt to say another bad thing about migrants. It also prohibits any housing of migrants on federal lands unless it is in a prison. It's Lee taking this border hawk stuff and trapping it onto this crusade that he has been on for a long time to deprive people in the United States and people visiting the United States have access to their public lands and eventually to sell those lands off to the highest bidder. He introduced it on October second. It's in the committee stage right now. This probably is one of the things that folks could call a representative about and suggest it's a very bad idea. Talking to bad ideas. My daughter has announced the formation of an international brigade to defend his incredibly corrupt regime in Venezuela. I say this is someone who has been to Venezuela and written a PhD about the Spanish Civil War. This is a very bad idea. Don't do this.
Speaker 17: This is.
Speaker 1: Maduro does not need your help. Fuck that guy talking of things that don't need your help. Here are some adverts.
Speaker 12: I can't believe you're throwing the People's Republic of Venezuela under the bus like that, as there facing down war with the United States of America.
Speaker 1: Right now, standing in the breach against imperialism. Yeah, I read a lot about it.
Speaker 12: What happened? Does hashtag solidarity? Jane?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I read about it on the Gray Zone and I'm changing my opinions, having spent more time than I'm sure half the staff the Gray Zone in Venezuela.
Speaker 9: Speaking of Spooky, the ship Trump's getting is part of terraff negotiations who.
Speaker 21: Jazz, jazz rock, jazz rock, jazz bo.
Speaker 9: All right, So, as we talked about last week, Trump has been in East Asia to do a bunch of meetings for conversations already happening. And this is where terrificagotiations have been being handled. This has been being held in South Korea. South Korean President Lee JM Young presented Trump with South Korea's highest honor and also gave him a giant golden crown. Have you all seen the giant golden crowd?
Speaker 12: It's that easy, folks. All you gotta do, it's all you gotta do is just these little stupid things, and then he loves.
Speaker 9: You, giant gilded crowd.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen the crown. I'm gonna look at the crown.
Speaker 9: Look up the crowd. I am beseeching you all yet. I however, big you think this crown is? It is way larger than that it is.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, no, it's Jesus wow.
Speaker 9: It's like the size of all fire hydran. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they directly they directly took the one that they took from Prince Andrew for being a nonse and melted it down.
Speaker 9: It's really something now, now, Lee J. Meung is a name you might recognize because he's the guy who was famous for that video of climbing over the fence to stop the coup last year. And one year later he is giving Trump what I think might be the largest crown I have ever seen. Now, this crown is being described as quote a gilded replica. So I don't know how much of this is actually gold. I suspect it's gold paint or whatever. I don't know. I do not have confirmation on it. But you know, great great things happening in sort of like a revolutionary anti coup movement which has giving Trump the giant golden crown. Yeah, and apparently and they got like a kind of favorable, sort of okay ish kind of trade dealt out of out of giving the President of the United States giant golden crown. So, in terms of tariff news, while in China, Trump had his long awaited beating Lustijian Ping, they struck a deal. Trump decreased the quote unquote fence andyl tariffs to ten percent, which leaves the teriff right for all Chinese goods at forty seven percent, down from its previous fifty seven percent. China has a reed to not do Rare Earth's mineral restrictions that we talked about last week, and has also pledged by US soybeans. Again, it's deeply unclear how much of this is actually going to happen. I think my guess is that they probably won't do the harshest of the mineral restrictions, but I will believe the soybean purchases when I see it, and I haven't seen it yet. There's also been some interesting US out of the Senate where there's been a couple of symbolic votes against some sets of tariffs. The Senate voted fifty to forty six to end the state of emergency that supposedly allows Trump to do the Canada tariffs, and also voted to block tariffs against Brazil. The four people who voted against both of these, who voted with the Democrats are Mitch McConnell, Rand Paul, Susan Collins, and Lisa Morowski. Which it kind of makes sense because Collins and Morowski are supposed to lead the two moderates. Rand Paul is like just hates tariffs. Yeah, he's a free trade hardliner who whenever I talk about this, I will say he has had as much as all of this is his fault, he has had one great light, ever, which is I have a trade deficit with my grocery store. Actually really good.
Speaker 12: Is he like an Austrian like economists, like libertarian type, Like I know he's like a libertarian guy. I'm just trying to figure out what specific flavor.
Speaker 9: He's like an he's like one of the Austrian like gold standards, but also like those people are still free trade people, like really hardline.
Speaker 12: Last time I heard Charlie Kirk talk in person, he was debating like five Austrian economists the most annoying people mean.
Speaker 2: To Like, honestly, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. That sounds like that sounds like why would you agree to do that, especially if you're already rich. I don't understand that. I don't understand it.
Speaker 9: Now, Okay, it's just also word doating though that despite these votes, none of this is going to take effect because the House right now effectively does not exist as.
Speaker 2: A legislative body.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it doesn't exist in general because they keep not calling sessions because every time they try to call a session, the Democrats in the one political theater thing that like is kind of a good idea, but they're so bad at it. They keep being like, you have to release the Epstein files, and the Republicans keep being like, no, so we kind of don't have a House of Representatives.
Speaker 2: I keep thinking about that one scene from Mars Attacks with the presidents, like, you've still got two out of three branches a government, and that ain't bad.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we basically have one branch of government.
Speaker 9: We have one branch of Yeah, we have one branch of governments, and like.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't work as a Mars Attacks Joe.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: But and also it's worth noting the House voted to not allow any tariff legislation until March twenty twenty six, a thing that it could apparently do. It is totally normal.
Speaker 1: Sure, Oh well, yeah, you.
Speaker 9: Know so, and speak of things are totally normal. We're gonna close this with Trump getting mad at Canada because we saw an ad they were running, Oh my god, yeah series that God it was.
Speaker 12: It was.
Speaker 9: It was a bunch of clips of Ronald Reagan being like, tariff's bad because Reagan Reagan's domestic protectionism took the form of currency devaluations and not tariffs, et cetera. Et cetera. But like, yeah, so and and and Trump saw this, lost his mind, said that it was Ai. There's a whole saga here about him claiming that it was like also unauthorized usage of footage, which is a fiasco. And then also all of the terror negotiations that have been happening to the US and Canada have been called off and he just put another ten percent terriff on them because he was mad about it. Goje, which yeah, totally, you know, I I totally absolutely a thing that like an elected head of government does and not a a guy who just received it a massive golden crown. Ah garousaid, that's not a blue Jay's hat, but.
Speaker 12: You know this is a blue Jay's hat. Mia, How fucking dare you try to? Uh, she'splain my own, my own country, myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Toronto's team.
Speaker 1: Garrison's wearing a hat for those who are not working for coolers own media.
Speaker 12: It's the Toronto Blue Jays. Oh my god, yeah yeah yeah, in Toronto blue.
Speaker 2: It was the Toronto Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's not.
Speaker 3: A J on it.
Speaker 12: Why well no, it just has the map, but.
Speaker 1: It's only three points. It's not a not a traditional maple leaf.
Speaker 12: James, are you gonna Are you gonna she explain my own country.
Speaker 1: To me, Garrison when it comes to birds and leaves, I am.
Speaker 9: Going to Canada explain to you it rocks. Yeah, but that's fun. That's just how tariff policy is set. Now, is you pissed off the king and he decided to put a teriff?
Speaker 8: This is.
Speaker 9: I don't know, I don't really know how to do analysis of the fact that we just have a child king setting tariff policy. It's it's great.
Speaker 12: Look quick, fact, Jack, do you read can you read this?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 9: It does say Blue Jays.
Speaker 12: Read this genuine m LB merchandise. Okay, wow wow wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They one would ever put that in fake MLB merchandise, Yeah, wouldn't be allowed.
Speaker 1: I've never seen any genuine MLB merchandise in markets in a Rocks for example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, I'm the owner of a proud Fixing Gan shirt that I bought at a market in there.
Speaker 12: All right, all right, all right, everybody, Okay. I think it's politically important for the Blue Jays to win the World Series and contribute to the American Century of humiliation.
Speaker 2: I still have my my Tumberland boots that I bought in Syria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a five dot one dot one jacket.
Speaker 2: Oh and I've got it. I got a greater Adotus track suit when I was in Istanbul.
Speaker 12: Do you want to do this fallection right now?
Speaker 1: And yeah, let's do it now. Let's talk about talking of things which are not as they seem. California Attorney General, look at that Charason. That is why they pay me the medium bugs. California Attorney General Rob Bonter is warning.
Speaker 2: Such a fake guess name.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, sorry, Garrison is wearing that hat for those not watching this podcast. On top of the head in the fashion of affairs, California Attorney General Rob Bonte is wannering about election interference by the federal government. The federal government has sent monitors to California to a number of different counties in California in order to monitor the elections that are happening here on the fourth of November. To be clear, federal monitoring is not uncommon. The Biden administration did it in more than eighty places in twenty twenty four, for example. But BoNT seems convinced this monitoring is going to lead to election denial. Elector interference. Here's Gavin Newsom talking on X about this.
Speaker 22: So today the trop administration announced they're sending election monitors to five specific counties here in the state of California. They have no business doing that, they have no basis to do that. In fact, we have a state wide election for a statewide constitution. This is about voter intimidation. This is about voter suppression, period, full stop. And it's a pattern, isn't it. It's consistent with what they've done with the federalization of the National Guard and the intimidation of the chill that that's created. They'll do that right around election day as well. Same thing with ice and Border Patrol.
Speaker 7: Mass men watch that space showing up.
Speaker 22: In and around polling booths and voting places. But this is a bridge too far, and I hope people understand it's a bridge that they're trying to build a scaffolding for all across this country and next Novembers election. They do not believe in fair and free elections. Our republic, our democracy is on the line. We all need to wake up.
Speaker 1: I met Monkencerne with the stuff around that. I think he's probably right that we will see like more federal agents around polling places in election time. What California was doing in response is assigning monitors to monitor the federal monitors, which will be interesting and it seems unusual, right for the federal monitors be monitoring. Think that one of the things that's on the ballot this year is Prop fifty right, which would redistrict California. It's jerry mandering, so jerry mandering proposition.
Speaker 2: To it's revenge gerrymandering character Jerry The bill is specifically we not we're going to do this, but we're going to do this if the there's redistricting in Texas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's yes, it's an attempt to rectify the very obvious gary mandering Texas.
Speaker 2: It's kind of mad. Mutually asserted destruction is applied to Jerry Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. Neither of these things are great. That's here we are. I think that's what I had on this Actually cool.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's U E eisode. That's where we're at, all right, everybody.
Speaker 12: Well, until breaking autism news, God Texas is suing Thailand and all specifically a pharmacytic company Johnston Johnson for marketing tile and all the pregnant women and failing to disclose. But a turny general can Paxton calls quote a significantly increased risk of autism and other disorders unquote.
Speaker 1: They don't market it to pregnant women. Like Geremany.
Speaker 2: It says like if I'm not mistaken, it says on the bottles, don't take if your nurse you're pregnant.
Speaker 1: We covered this in a previous episode. But like Germany, drugs are not very few drugs are marketed to pregnant people, right, be the women or otherwise.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, the only thing you're supposed to take is a pregnant woman is cocaine, and you got to make sure it's pure.
Speaker 9: Non Binary people thought you can take anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, you're If you're not pregnant, it's okay to do whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you are pregnant, not a woman, it's okay, go right.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah yeah sure, yes, wait, no, I don't think that that's how it works.
Speaker 9: Transmasting double yeah yeah, yeah, true.
Speaker 2: I think if you have a fetus gest dating in you, you're only supposed to do cocaine.
Speaker 12: Definitely the least autistic for people, non binary people. Yeah, definitely definitely. They can just take whatever or do or do take whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, too many drugs like like they'll they'll say that you should consult with it with your doctor.
Speaker 12: Consulted doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and none of them are risk free. But it's it's it's a cost benefit analysis, right.
Speaker 12: We covered this the autism and Thailand all like correlation versus causation based on that one Sweeter s this is. I'm interested to see how Johnston and Johnson argues this in court and if that will have effects across you know, the rest of the Trump of administration's anti Thailand all push. If they're able to successfully defend their product against Ken Paxton so critical support sant Thailand. All, I guess.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the resistance, Big pharma Jesus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if people listen to more and that we can get back and find out previous episode.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, until next time, try not to be on a fishing boat anywhere south of the US southern border. It's not safe right now.
Speaker 12: Good luck trick or treating. Happy Halloween.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good love trick or treating. It's not safe right now.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, don't be trick or treating in a boat.
Speaker 12: This year we've reported the news that sucks.
Speaker 21: Yeah, we reported the news.
Speaker 12: Hey.
Speaker 2: We'll be back Monday, with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 23: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen Here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.