Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Hi, Sean, thank you so much for coming on Sloan Knows today. Travis Walton has educated me a little bit about you and your game, and it's been such a pleasure getting to watch you, you know, and the clips that I've seen. But for those of you who haven't had the privilege to know you yet, can you tell us your age, where you're from, the position you play, and the teams that you play on.
Speaker 3: I'm from Lama, Ohio. I play for Lamon Senior High School. I'm sixteen years.
Speaker 1: Old, and I played for Ohio ray Eybu and then my high school line of senior love it.
Speaker 2: So you're a sophomore, right, Yeah, how sophomore you have been so far?
Speaker 1: It's been cool.
Speaker 3: It's been too that it's been going on, just school and then workouts and basketball practice just started November first.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is it better than freshman year?
Speaker 3: Probably not, because freshman year it was like really, yeah, it's not freshman year. I was coming in everybody knew me and then they was all excited to see me. But now it's just everybody knows who I am already.
Speaker 1: It's just normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get ready for junior year. That's the year I'm in right now and it's rough. School gets crazy. So I thought sophomore year was hard, and now that I'm a junior, I'm like, that was a breeze. So enjoy it while it lasts. Yeah, how old were you when you started playing basketball?
Speaker 3: I started playing basketball when I was in like preschool, but I had a basketball on my hands since I can hold.
Speaker 1: One for real.
Speaker 2: It's always been your favorite sport always. Okay. Did you play any other sports growing up or just like.
Speaker 3: As a kid, My mom and dad they put me in like t ball, soccer, and football and that's about it.
Speaker 2: At what age were you like, no, this is only basketball, this is the sport for me.
Speaker 3: It was probably soccer and t ball. I played to like second grade and then I didn't want to play no more. And then football it was like fifth grade and that I just like stopped.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. Who is your favorite basketball team?
Speaker 1: The Lakers?
Speaker 2: Really in Ohio the Lakers are your favorite team, or just because you're.
Speaker 3: A Lebron it's because I'm a Lebron fan. Wherever Lebron goes, that's my favorite team.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what do you think about all of the bandwagon controversies? Do you think that you are a bandwagon or no?
Speaker 1: Uh? Probably honestly, yeah, but it's fine with me.
Speaker 2: So you're not a Cavs fan at all? You have no like Ohio spirit zero. I see that's both. I'm a Warriors fan and I live in LA So I got you, I hear you. Other than Lebron, who is your favorite non Laker?
Speaker 1: Probably Steph Curtin Steph Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: I got you. Who is the first NBA player that you've ever met?
Speaker 3: Tyler Eulis Because he's from Wama, Ohio, and he'll come back to Lima sometimes and then I met him and like whenever when he first went to the league, he came back, had to talk with me and my friends, and I've just been having a relationship with him since then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's sort of like a mentor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: Who has been an idol for you growing up that was not a basketball player?
Speaker 1: Probably just my dad for real.
Speaker 3: He just just been with me since I was born, So I've just been looking up to him.
Speaker 2: Was basketball a family thing? Did your parents play? Do you have any siblings that have played? Or just yet?
Speaker 3: My mom, I don't know what sports she played. I don't even know she played a sports. But my dad played basketball, but he went to college for football. And then I had another brother who played basketball. He went to colleagues for basketball. Then my other brother he plays football in college.
Speaker 1: Right now, okay, love it.
Speaker 2: So you're seem like a very athletic family. But who do you think is the best athlete in your family?
Speaker 1: Me? Definitely me?
Speaker 2: You do you think your family would agree with that or no?
Speaker 1: No, We argue about it all the time.
Speaker 2: Okay, I need to get your whole family on here and see what they say. All right, So next up? Is there an NBA player that you model your game off of?
Speaker 3: Not really, I just like to play my game and not think of me playing as somebody else.
Speaker 1: M hmm.
Speaker 2: I like that. And for those of you listening who don't know about Sean's game, I'd love if you can explain, maybe at one or two sentences, who you are as a player.
Speaker 1: I'm a scorer.
Speaker 3: I can score from all three levels, and then I'm really I'm good on defense because I'm long, lengthy, and I can get a lot of steels black shots.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: Okay, what has been your most memorable basketball moment? So far.
Speaker 3: Probably my eighth grade middle school I scored like I got the record for the most points in the middle school game in all the linemens, So that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: How much was that?
Speaker 1: I think fifty six, But that wasn't like I only played like three quarters of that game though, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: So if you played the fourth, who knows, maybe that's like a well, yeah game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is that your most points you've ever scored in the game?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Probably?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay. Who are the top three best players you've played against so far in either high school or.
Speaker 3: A Probably Anton West. He's from Whitburn in Ohio. He's committed to Purdue. Malachai Jordan he goes to Link Academy, and Scottie Akinson I think that's his last name.
Speaker 1: He's from Think, Missouri. He plays for Bradball Leak. They was all good players to put them stuck out to you Anton. He's been playing with senior since he was a freshman. He is senior this year. He's just good. He could score all three levels. He's big, strong, Malakai same thing with him, and he's very athletic and Scotty.
Speaker 3: He's just crafty Gore. He could score all three levels, so it was fun playing against them.
Speaker 2: I like that. What are the biggest differences you've seen between playing high school basketball and AAU basketball?
Speaker 3: High school is a lot more physical and then AAU is like fast paced and everybody's good.
Speaker 1: Everybody's good. But in high school it's like some people that's not as good than there's AAU.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I hear that. I play soccer, and I feel like that's the same thing. Like you know, when you're playing for your school, there's a few kids that maybe made the team because the connections or something like that, and yeah, pok at them. So that's fun. Which do you like playing better AU or high school?
Speaker 3: High school basketball? Because it just means more you're putting on for your city.
Speaker 2: So yeah, true, that means something. Who is an underrated high school team of yours or AU teammate of yours that you want to show up to.
Speaker 1: Uh, my friend Noah Simpson, he's been We've been friends since we was young one years old, so he's he's always been good. He's just very underrated.
Speaker 2: I like that, big shout out. Okay, who is the coolest person that you've had come watch one of your high school or AAU games.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: The past summer, I had Tom Izzo come watch my game from Michigan State, so.
Speaker 1: That was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Were you nervous?
Speaker 1: No, not really. It's just just another game to show up and play.
Speaker 2: So you don't you know when interacting with professional athletes or college coaches, how do you keep yourself grounded and not nervous and make sure that you are locked in.
Speaker 3: I just think of it as another game or another conversation with somebody that I'm having.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. I like that. That's how you succeed. How do you balance being a student and an athlete.
Speaker 3: So in our house, my mom, like she does the school part, then my dad does all the athletics. My mom's a teacher, though, so she makes sure I'm gonna talk of my grades. And then my dad, he played college and he makes sure I'm in the gym all the time.
Speaker 1: Twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: What subject does your mom teach?
Speaker 1: She teaches.
Speaker 3: It's called patient care because she's a nurse. So people in our school and be nurses, then they can take that class.
Speaker 2: Okay, speaking of being a nurse. If you weren't a basketball player, what profession do you think you would be when you're older.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna take a construction class next semester or so cool, So maybe that I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, I think that would be the least likely profession for me. Probably couldn't build anything even if I took like five classes on it, so.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if I can do it.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Let me know what we'll see in that class.
Speaker 2: I'm curious. So you're only a sophomore, like we spoke about earlier, what do you hope to accomplish by the time you graduate high school?
Speaker 3: Just maintain three point five gpa or higher at least be a five star by the time or graduate, and be able to go to be able to pick from whatever college I want to in the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are big goals. How do you think that you're going to achieve them?
Speaker 3: Just work hard, stay focused, don't let outside noises just drag me.
Speaker 1: That's about it.
Speaker 2: So I want to touch on college for a little bit. You're a sophomore and you have some pretty big offers already, which is very impressive. Is there one school out there that that is your dream school to get an offer from?
Speaker 1: Probably North Carolina?
Speaker 2: Un Okay, shout out. Maybe you know UNC coaches are listening. We'll see what happens. Okay, let's move on to a rapid fire section. So Sean, I'm going to ask you these questions and I want to hear some quick and fun answers. Are you ready? Yeah, Okay, let's get it. What is one aspect of your game that you are most proud of? And why?
Speaker 3: My shooting ability because I can shoot on and off the Drowl, So no matter if you close I don't me.
Speaker 1: I can still call him ribble and shoot.
Speaker 2: What is your favorite school subject?
Speaker 1: Our weightlifting class? We got that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that that's.
Speaker 1: A school subject though, because it's a class though, it's like it's a school subject.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's your favorite class. What's your favorite core subject?
Speaker 1: Math? I'm good at math.
Speaker 2: That's my least favorite. I'm like an English and history person. I don't like that, really, No, that's why I like that. In the next five years, who is going to be the face of the NBA and why?
Speaker 1: And Edwards because he just wants to kill everybody.
Speaker 2: That's true. Who is your dream NBA player to share the core with?
Speaker 1: Lebron Why? Because he's the goat.
Speaker 2: Really okay, you want to go there. Why do you think Lebron James is the goat?
Speaker 3: I mean, first of all, he is the most points, he can't be stopped. He is rings, he is champion chips, that's right, and he's one championship wherever he's been at too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, here's the thing, though, I agree that Lebron's a goat. You know you're reasoning right, You're saying, oh, he has rings, he has chips, but MJ has more rings.
Speaker 1: So he don't got more points though, he don't got more points. Bron okay, and Lebron's war and Lebron's won championships wherever he's been at.
Speaker 2: Okay, but MJ's won every finals. He's been a true See. I'm on your side, Sean. I'm just trying to give it to you just in case, you know. But I always wonder, like, is it our generation that picks Lebron because that's who we've seen. I wonder if we were kids at the time, you know, where it was m J. Yeah, who we would think interesting debate? If we could time travel, Oh, this is a good one. If you could time travel and go to any NBA finals, ever, which game would you choose or which finals matchup would you choose?
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, I would want to go to the Lakers Cleveland one in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, I like it. Okay. What is your favorite clothing brand?
Speaker 1: Nike?
Speaker 2: Nike Strong? Is that your dream brand to get a show deal with?
Speaker 1: With? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Who is your dream NBA player to play against?
Speaker 1: Uh? Wemby? Mm hmm interesting?
Speaker 2: Okay, how many points do you think you're scoring against Wemby right now? Sophomore shot Wemby?
Speaker 1: Me and him want to won the whole game?
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Uh. I can get a couple of points though, like maybe all a fast break or something like.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's pretty fast.
Speaker 1: Like a transition. Or I can like catching slipping and go back door.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, maybe you can go between his legs or something. Yeah like that, like genuinely crawl through faith any you can score?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, I could do that. I mean I'm fine for I have like the height advantage in that case, think about it. I can just go right through all right. What is your post game meal?
Speaker 1: Uh? Be dubs. It's a it's a little restaurant around here.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's your order from there?
Speaker 3: I get ten traditional mild wings fries. There's some seddlery.
Speaker 2: Mm, that sounds good. I want to try. If I'm ever in Ohio, I'm gonna try that. What is your favorite fast food restaurant?
Speaker 1: Chick fil a?
Speaker 2: Same? What do you got?
Speaker 1: I get the four piece tender meal and then I get macaroni and a chicken sandwich.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of food.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like I put the macaroni on my chicken sandwich, so that's the whole.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, have you seen the thing? It's a TikTok trend where they take a bowl and they put like the tenders and the sandwich and everything in almost like a salad. I really want to try that. I think I maybe throw up after, but it's so big good. What is your favorite food? On the topic of food, chicken wings. I can tell you've talked a lot about chicken. I like chicken too. If you go to dinner with anyone dead or alive, who would it be?
Speaker 1: Jesus nice?
Speaker 2: Who is your favorite non basketball athlete?
Speaker 1: Mh mm hm, say my brother. I spore him a lot. I love watching him.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's though, that's very sweet. Can you give us a professional athlete that's your favorite?
Speaker 1: Serena Williams.
Speaker 2: Did you play tennis?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, but Serena is still you're going yeah? Okay, okay. What is your favorite movie Step Brothers. I've never seen it. I heard it's really funny.
Speaker 1: It is hilarious.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna try that one out. What is your favorite TV show?
Speaker 1: Fresh Pance of Beller, Fresh Pans of bel Air, bel Air.
Speaker 2: One of the old ones? Okay, I I've not seen the old one. I've only seen the new one, but I like them.
Speaker 1: Oh, I watch it every night, every day.
Speaker 2: Every night. You rewatch the show.
Speaker 1: Yes, every night every day.
Speaker 2: M And you have never watched the new one.
Speaker 1: I watched a new one. I watch a couple of episodes, but not for real.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think i'd like it because, you know, living in LA, it's like similar to like it shows places near where I live, which is cool to see. What is your favorite video game?
Speaker 1: The ce double A College Football twenty five?
Speaker 2: Okay? Okay, do you play with your brother in that?
Speaker 1: No, he hasn't even been home, so I just play online.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying when he's isn't he a college football player.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh no, he don't play the game.
Speaker 2: Game in the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, oh, okay, he don't play the game.
Speaker 2: I see, I see, I see. Who is your favorite artist.
Speaker 1: Young Boy?
Speaker 2: What is your favorite song?
Speaker 1: His song's names? I hate young Boy, but yeah, that's it. Okay.
Speaker 2: What is your favorite ice cream? Flat?
Speaker 1: Vanilla is playing?
Speaker 2: What? That's so basic?
Speaker 1: But like I add toppings to it though. I can add toppings though with shoppings, so I get like sprinkles chocolate, and then with the vanilla dough I can make like root beer float or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm a big root beer float person. I agree with that. Do you like root your flow? I have you tried to coke float?
Speaker 1: No, I've never tried that. I only did root beer case.
Speaker 2: Oh I've never done the sun cast, but coke float that's the way to go. What is your favorite on the court sneaker?
Speaker 1: Kobe Kobe Eight's Kobe's okay?
Speaker 2: And what is your favorite off the court sneaker?
Speaker 1: Either Nikive Marrows or a six.
Speaker 2: Strong. What is your go to emoji?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm the handshake emoji.
Speaker 2: I use that one, like yeah, okay, mm hmmm. I don't think I have a favorite emoji. Whenever I asked this question, I'm surprised that people have such definite answers because I'm always I always switch it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I use.
Speaker 2: That's always your one. I like the like star eye one or the like hands.
Speaker 3: Up one, or I was using one where it's like you're sticking your tongue out, like like have your face or something like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, yeah, but there's like three of those. But I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Do it. You have to do the face now you're showing it. Okay, okay, what is your favorite you know, Halloween just we just passed Halloween. What is your favorite candy?
Speaker 1: Skittles?
Speaker 2: Skittles, I'm like a twist person. Did you trigger treat?
Speaker 1: No? I didn't this year.
Speaker 2: Did you hand out candy?
Speaker 1: No? I didn't.
Speaker 2: No, you weren't in the Halloween spirit?
Speaker 1: No I was not.
Speaker 2: No, I'm a big Halloween person.
Speaker 1: I mean Halloween cool, but like, I just didn't do anything this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you have to lock in, right right, I hear you. Who is the most famous person in your contacts?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm Exavier Simpson.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, cool? Who is your celebrity look alike.
Speaker 1: I don't know, and I don't know. I don't know who my celebrity look like?
Speaker 2: Is what is your favorite podcast?
Speaker 1: Yours?
Speaker 2: Thank you? You have to say it. I make everyone say it. Slow Nose is my favorite podcast.
Speaker 1: Sloan Nose is my favorite podcast.
Speaker 2: That's what I like to hear. Thank you, Sean. Okay, now we're going to play a section called fact or fiction. Okay, so I'm going to tell you a claim right a. You know, for example, it would be like Lebron is the goat and you've expressed very much that you believe that, so you would say fact exactly. Let's try that. The Calves will say is a top three team in the East this year?
Speaker 1: In fact?
Speaker 2: Would you like to elaborate?
Speaker 1: Mm? I just think they will.
Speaker 2: You just think they? Okay, Okay, confidence I like it. Joel Embiid will leave the Sixers this year?
Speaker 1: No, not a chance. No.
Speaker 2: You know when I wrote this question, I wrote it two days ago, and I would have agreed with you, but he just got an altercation with a journalist, and since then it seems like everything's going downhill. So I may have to call that one. Saying all right, moving on to Wemby. Wemby will get a quadruple double in his career. In fact, I agree very much. Fact okay, the Thunder will win a CHIP in the next three years. No, no, you're not an SGA guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like watching him his game, He's moved.
Speaker 2: Do you like him?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 2: Okay, Giannis will stay a buck for his whole career. In fact, fact, Jason Tatum will win an MVP Award.
Speaker 1: Fact fact.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you think Jason Tatum is gonna be the m v P, want to play a little predictions game. So Jason Tatum is your m VP. Who is your defensive Player of the year?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: It could be Wimby too, Okay, most improved player.
Speaker 1: I don't know that one. Uh okay, okay, thinking nobody for that one.
Speaker 2: That's okay, that's okay. Do you have a Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 1: Pick for his year? Rob?
Speaker 2: Okay, rob with the shifts? I see it. I don't know. I I'd want to say Jared McCain just because he's my king, like I love TikTok. He loves TikTok, you know, But so far I don't know, it doesn't really seem like that. This is an interesting rookie class for sure. And then who do you think is gonna win the Chip?
Speaker 1: M the Sons this year? Sons?
Speaker 2: And then who do you think is gonna be finals? MVP?
Speaker 1: O K D.
Speaker 2: Katie. It's interesting because the Lakers have been off to a good start, but you don't think the Lakers are gonna win the shot? No, no, you don't have faith in your team. I'm a Warriors fan. We're five and one. Yes, we've only played bad teams so far, but I think this is our year again. You know, this is the Spring five for Steph. I can really, I can see it coming. I think it is watch watch. Okay. Lastly, we are gonna do a little trivia section to close this off, so Sloan knows the NBA. Let's see what Sean knows. Are you ready?
Speaker 1: I'm ready?
Speaker 2: Okay, and I like to stump people, so no hard feelings. This is gonna be hard in What year was the first NBA game played?
Speaker 1: Nineteen good start twenty three?
Speaker 2: Okay, close, We're a little you know, a few years off. It's nineteen forty six. A few were a lot, just a few few a lot.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny because today I was looking at this NBA trivia on TikTok and I was realizing, before two thousand and seven, I don't really know much, and I was like why, and then I was like, oh, I wasn't even alive then, So don't worry. It's fine. I feel like nineteen forty six was pre a lot pre you. So it's okay, you got that one wrong, all right. What is the lowest seed ever to win an NBA championship?
Speaker 1: Eighth?
Speaker 2: Few off? I'll give you one more chot.
Speaker 1: Tenth.
Speaker 2: Ah, No, the ten seed doesn't make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know. Six sick. Yes, wow, I don't know how it. Maybe there was A's six tenth seed back in the day or something.
Speaker 2: Maybe in some crazy world exactly way before our time. That team was the Rockets in nineteen ninety five. Okay, name well one or two of the two NBA teams that have never change their names or move locations.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: One of them, I can give you a hint. One of them is the team that's won the most chips of all time, which makes sense because I feel like there's consistency with them. Oh my god, this is green in their jerseys.
Speaker 1: They have green? Are you are you googling?
Speaker 2: I heard your keyboard.
Speaker 1: I swear it's not. I swear I'm not. I swear I'm not googling.
Speaker 3: Okays Celtics.
Speaker 2: And then the other team. This is my hint for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need a hint.
Speaker 2: Well arguably, Okay, the most recent big trade involved this team.
Speaker 1: Did Philly change their name or no?
Speaker 2: Philly? I think yes, they're not one of the teams they've either changed their name is okay, I'm gonna give you another hint. Villanova Villanova, the Nova Knicks.
Speaker 1: What is the Nova Knicks?
Speaker 2: No? No, okay? It was when Jalen Bronson Dante even Okay, okay, well it's the next all right? Which NBA coach has the most career wins?
Speaker 1: Mmmm?
Speaker 2: He's currently the coach of the Spurs. If that helps.
Speaker 1: Uh, I don't even know I say his name, uh pop something like that?
Speaker 2: Yes, here we go, Yes, San okay, Greg? Yes, I like it. I like it. This is so random and I don't know why you would know this, but you want to guess how many wins that is?
Speaker 1: Thousand, two hundred and thirty one.
Speaker 2: I don't know, okay for a random yes, it's actually pretty close. Well, when I got this stat it said one thousand, three hundred and eighty eight. But plus how many ever the Spurs have won this season? Okay? And lastly, I think you got this one because we've talked about this player a lot. Which NBA player has been named to the most all NBA teams labro Yes, okay, John, I thank you. You know you got too right without hands, but it's still question yeah mm hmm. Okay. My last question for you is you have if you had to nominate someone to come on Slow Nose, who would it be?
Speaker 1: Cameron Mercer, my friend Camera, Yeah one Cameron.
Speaker 2: Okay, Wow, that's big time. Okay, Wow, that's big time. Okay, love it well, Sean, thank you so much for doing this. I had so much fun. And what I think is really cool about having you on, you know, especially as a sophomore, is that now people who listen to Slow Nose get to see your journey and hopefully when you're you know, you're out there playing at UNC and then you make it to the league, we can get you back on the podcast. So thanks so much for doing this.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me for sure, of course,