Speaker 1: On the Bechdelcast.
Speaker 2: The questions asked if movies have women and them, are all their discussions just boyfriends and husbands, or do they have individualism? The patriarchy Zephyn bast start changing with the Bechdel Cast.
Speaker 3: Hello Bechdel Cast.
Speaker 1: A listener, whoa we wi we woo, we are here.
Speaker 3: This is uh Jamie and Caitlin, sorry and panicked.
Speaker 1: It's okay, It's okay, and we are here unlocking an episode of our Patreon aka Matreon, and we should say Matreon formerly known as Patreon, quite frankly for your listening pleasure this week to observe the release of Ready or Not too, a movie that neither of us have seen and neither of us can vouch for or argue against. True, but we know that tomorrow Weaving is in it. And I do like the internal logic of you thought she was ready or not? What if two? I like there like one woman? What about two? And honestly it's very base logic, But I'm listening what if two women? Many movies are not asking this question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ready or not? Two women?
Speaker 1: Ready or not? Here's two women? I think that's maybe supposed to be the horror element Ready or Not two women in the movie. Wow yeah, so yeah, really impressive. I mean and honestly, in the in the wave of feminist backlash we're in right now, some people do need the warning that there's going to be two women. Yeah, hope you're ready for two women and don't blond white women. So yes, yes, but but yeah, we're unlocking our episode on Ready or Not one to observe Ready or Not two a movie. By the way, I will be seeing it. I'm actually pretty excited. Same. I hope it's good. I love samaraw Weaving. I feel like she's very underrated.
Speaker 3: Yeah she's she's good. I hope the movie's fun.
Speaker 1: Or if I'm correct, Samara Waving she's Australian, right.
Speaker 3: She is Australian. Yes, famously.
Speaker 1: That was definitely respectful what I just did, Samara Waving, she would love that I did that. Tony, all kinds of women are from there. Jacob BELORDI shakeup BELORDI, he's for the girls. I think I don't know who. Well, I just I just said that I have no idea he's worked with a woman that we know he's met a woman.
Speaker 3: Sure has he's met at least one woman and that makes him a feminist.
Speaker 1: Anyway, really, cast, by the way, it so is, Hope this is your first episode. I think we say this at the beginning of every episode at this point, Hope this isn't your first episode, but statistically it may very well. Maybe. Yeah, listen, this is the Bechdel Test. Nope, cast, Nope, this is the Bechtel Cast. If this is your first episode, welcome Tomorrow Weaving, And this is our podcast where we take a look at your favorite movies using an intersectional feminist lens, using the Bechdel Test as a jumping off point for discussion. And we do not define the parameters of the Bechdel Test in our Matreon episodes. So, Caitlin, what the hell is it?
Speaker 3: It is a media metric created by friend of the pod Alison Bechdel, first appearing in her comic collection Dicks to Watch out For in the eighties, and its origins, we're more focused on, Hey, are there any queer women in this movie that I'm watching?
Speaker 1: And if there are queer women, are they actual characters?
Speaker 3: In any case, the test has become more kind of mainstreamified into a media metric that has many versions the one that we use is do two characters of a marginalized gender have names? Do they speak to each other? And is that conversation about something other than a man? And ideally it's narratively meaningful and not just nothing dialogue.
Speaker 1: Right, which is why we modified our version of the test. And again that's not a criticism of our dear friend Alison Bechdell. She wrote it as a joke, but for our purposes, that's to avoid I think people who are defensive of their favorite movies and wanted to pass the Backdel test, and they're like, well, there was a waitress and Meryl Streep said I'll have the chicken or whatever, so that I would watch that movie honestly, and then if they make out it does pass the Bechdel test, it.
Speaker 3: Really really passes the Bechdel test.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope that happens in the devil War's product too. What if that.
Speaker 3: Happens devil Ware's Product two? Here, I come, What if the subtitle to every sequel was here? I come?
Speaker 1: If I think if the Devilwaar's Product two is bad, there's going to be some sort of revolt. I mean there should there should be. There's so many reasons for there to be a revolt. But I do think that if the Devil is product too is bad, people are gonna be marching outside Stanley Tucci's house. Like I just, you know, not that he should be held accountable for it, but he will be, and you know, I just I really hope it's good. Anyways. Yeah, so we are today unlocking an episode from our Matreon from only two years ago. We don't do this very frequently because the Matreon is a sacred space. So if you're not a subscriber but a listener of the show, or you're just getting into the show and you want more episodes, our Matreon is a slightly looser version of our main fiat episodes. We don't generally have guests on there. It's Caitlin and I either choosing or very often having our subscribers choose a specific theme, and by a specific you have no idea how specific it can get. This was a theme from twenty twenty four called Wedding Webruary, in which our Matreon subscribers voted they wanted to hear us talk about ready or not and of course Madam Web which we.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, sorry, wait Madam Web was just coming out around the same time, so we did talk of it, we did cover it later on, but Wedding Webruary was Ready or Not and I think twenty seven dresses.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what theme did Madam Web fall under?
Speaker 3: That was action movies directed by women, which does not have a Webruary.
Speaker 1: Okay, egg on my fucking face, we're thinking we but that's how nonsensical the themes are. Madam Web was not featured in Wedding Webruary. It's explain it. But this is an episode from there. If you enjoy it, if you enjoy the slightly looser structure, head over to the Matreon. It's five dollars a month and it gets you access to not just participate in our wonderful community over there that we've cultivated over the years, it also gets you access to over two hundred bonus episodes, including the Madam Web episode. So I know we had to pay all the Madam Web episode. We've got to pay our bills.
Speaker 3: So true. Yes, So it's the best way to support the show. So we'd love to have you over there. But in the meantime, you can enjoy this unlocked episode on Ready or Not one oh, there's only one woman.
Speaker 1: In this one. Yeah, and the world wasn't ready.
Speaker 3: The world was not ready. It was only it was twenty nineteen, so we only could have one woman at that time. But yes, in the meantime, enjoy this unlocked episode the Bechdel Cast.
Speaker 1: Duddu do dude record scratch, Wait a second, something's not quite right at this wedding. It's Satan's Satan's at the wedding.
Speaker 3: Well, Satan should attend more weddings.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I prefer Satan showing up to a wedding than you know, God, if you believe in that, if you believe in either of those things. Given the binary like, yeah, let's go to Satan's wedding.
Speaker 3: You've heard of holy matrimony, Well what about unholy matrimony? And that's when the devil is there.
Speaker 1: And that's when the devil is there in his little chair. Oh my god. I love at the end of this movie when the devil shows up in his little chair, he's like hey, he is like, good job, giry, this is such a like this I am okay, we're covering, ready or not? It's wedding Webruary. Yes, yeah, you know this. I am adding this to the pantheon of a genre I like to call good for her cinema. Yes, we've seen We've seen good for her cinema many times over the years. I'm generally a fan of it. Sometimes it is like, what does this man think women are like? This isn't necessarily one of those movies. But sometimes you're just like, interesting, you know, gymnastics routine going on in this in this writer's mind, not this one that I don't know. Good for her cinema, I mean. And then there's also like, see there's well, what would you.
Speaker 3: Put on the letterbox list of oh boy, good for her cinema?
Speaker 1: I need your help because I think that the thing that for sure it is in good for her cinema if at the end of the movie it's most often written by men, I would say. And at the end of the movie, the conventionally beautiful protagonist smokes a cigarette that has survived the ordeal along with her to sort of be like, Wow, what a day. I'm talking the end of Heathers I believe has a good for her cigarette. This movie has a good for her cigarette. The menu from last year, as I recall a good for her cigarette and cheeseburger, which is another not like other girls skinny girl eating cheeseburger. Come on, like, this is just I'm trying to think of other times that a woman smoked a cigarette at the end of the movie because she's one poor things. I don't think Emma Stone smokes a cigarette at the end of that movie, but like, spiritually that's what's going on.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean the cigarette might just be an extra little flourish because I would put Knives Out on that list.
Speaker 1: Yes, the coffee is the cigarette. The coffee is the cigarette. Yeah, I was thinking that as well. This movie, I mean has it and it came out the same year as Knives Out, which is right interesting anyways, Yes, I would add this to the pantheon of good for her cinema. Sometimes I like it, Sometimes I don't sure, because sometimes you're just like but ready or not. Whether you like it or not is certainly, you know, good for her cinema big time. And it's also a very recent strain of I think a recent early and dare I say good strain of rich people bad cinema, which we've been seeing a whole lot of in the last half decade. Yes, again, some of it is good. Some of it is clearly written by rich people, and you're like, what is the point of this? What is this? But again, I think this movie kind of stands out. I don't know, Caitlyn, Yeah, Hi, sorry for just bat. I just have been thinking about the good for her genre. No, no, I wonder if there is a letterbox list with that already.
Speaker 3: If not, let's throw it on ours. And then also you can follow us on letterboxed at Bechdel Cast Matrons.
Speaker 1: You know what else falls into good? You're right, the cigarette isn't a must, but there has to be like some sort of item, a little prop yes, fried green tomatoes. The end is a good for her. It's hannibalism good for her. Oh yeah, they cook and serve the bad guy. Good for her. Jennifer's body. I think what would fall into.
Speaker 3: I'm also forgetting how a lot of these movies end.
Speaker 1: The Vivich good for her.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's floating up in this good for her.
Speaker 1: Hover. This is a genre. It is a genre in like every genre, there's goods stay as bads.
Speaker 3: Anyway, let's talk about ready or.
Speaker 1: Not shell Yes, please, after you, after you, after you.
Speaker 3: I saw this movie in theaters.
Speaker 1: Brave.
Speaker 3: It's so brave of me to do. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I love a movie that takes place in a big creepy house. That's where a lot of Who Done It take place, That's where a lot of spooky movies take place. I just love the production design of like a big creepy house and all of the you know, like board game boxes that you see and stuff like that. So I really liked the production design. I like the story, and I like any movie where rich people get fucked over. So I was a fan.
Speaker 1: I didn't see this, and I have it's weird. I saw this movie. I remember really clearly watching this movie. I wonder if you have an experience like this for a different movie. I watched this movie in the first two weeks of Lockdown, where it was still like this is wild, what's going on? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, And so all I had to say, I remember watching it, I remember liking it, and then I memory holed the entire thing along with you know, I think with many like with several months of my life. You know. So I watched it, I liked it. I got kind of burned out on this genre, and I feel like it kind of got a little far away from itself in some situation. I felt that way about The Menu if I'm being on it, where it's like I love an ensemble movie where we're taking out the rich people and there's distinct characters, they're broad stereotypes and we're just knocking them out, like I love. And this year is a great year for kill the Rich cinema because we also have Knives out comes out this year, This comes out, and it kept going for a couple of years after that because like last year it was like The Menu and Triangle of Sadness. I mean, there's like a lot of movies of this ilk that have come out in the last five years, but this is one of my faves I really because I feel like this movie is I don't know, with anti capitalist movies, I feel like it's like either you have to really go for saying something or it's fun. And because whenever it lands in the middle, it feels like, I don't know, a little dissonant or like not committing to one or the other. This movie is committing to fun and like the characters are incredibly broad. The way that they got their money is incredibly silly, and I just like, I because I really couldn't remember how the movie ended spoiler alert for those who haven't watched. But I was like, I feel like the curse is real. I would be so happy if the curse is actually real and the curse is actually real and everyone explodes, and it just like it's silly. It like it's clear that like it's a killer rich movie, but it's not getting into theory. It's just like, here are these rich people and at the end, they're all going to explode into a cloud of blood. And that is like such a good movie for me. That movie's always gonna hit for me. It's very cathartic, it's so fun. I honestly, I was like, I don't know, I have to rewatch Knives Out because I really really loved that movie when it came up. But I'm like, but did any did a single person explode into a cloud of blood?
Speaker 3: Not one?
Speaker 1: I'm not af I recall, I'm.
Speaker 3: Not at all a right. Should I get into the recap?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk about it all right.
Speaker 3: We open on a flashback. We're in a big mansion on a dark and stormy night, and a family is playing hide and seek. It seems we see two little boys running around. One is named Daniel and then his younger brother who I don't think we learn.
Speaker 1: His name, not yet.
Speaker 3: They're running around and Daniel finds the man who's being sought in this game of hide and seek, or rather the man who's being hunted, because this isn't just any game of hide and seek. It's a scary game.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, fun, fun, fun fun. Yeah, it's well it's baby Alex that he's shoving into the cupboard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, y yeah, yeah yeah yeah, Well we'll figure that out eventually. But Daniel gives up the man's location and the family comes in. They like shoot him with a crossbow and then drag him away as the man's his wife, still wearing her wedding dress, watches in horror.
Speaker 1: They have they must have like friends in the c I A or something like how are these I mean, I know that, like probably the internal logic of the Vivie is like they're rich, rich people can get away with anything. They're like, I don't know, folks, ritualistic murder. And then we find out that they kind of live on a residential street. Uh fun short of I mean it seems like the ground driving. Yeah, but the grounds of the estate seem really big and she had to run very far to get to the street. I don't know, I truly think, and hopefully the listeners will not hold this against me. My favorite, the biggest like jump scare for this movie is when Samorrow Weaving punches a child in the face. Oh my god, I like and not to but like, I mean, she kind of did what she had to do. That kid was about to kill her, but I just was like, not expecting a child to get punched in the face. Anyways, let's continue.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we cut to thirty years later. It's the wedding day of Grace played by Samara Weaving aka Hugo Weaving's niece aka Nepotism and I love Spa.
Speaker 1: Weaving but aka Barga Robbie was not available. Let's be serious.
Speaker 3: So it's her wedding and she's getting married to her fiance. My fiance, some guy, a guy named Alex played by Mark O'Brien. We meet Alex's brother, Daniel played by Adam Brodie and we're like, hey, isn't Daniel the name of the kid from the beginning?
Speaker 1: Hold on, ready, or not here he is I this is ugh, this is like one of the I think, what, well, well, he's less villainous in this, but he's in the villain family. He really has a robust career of playing tremendous assholes, which is wild because I fell in love with him on Gilmore Girls, where he was like nice guitar boyfriend. I did not watch the OC, but I think he's kind of heart throbby in that show. And then he just like once Jennifer's Body hit, He's like, I'm actually a little stinker. And we've seen him in roles like that. I mean, I literally I saw American Fiction last night. Yeah, and he I mean, he's a bad guy in that movie. He's a bad ish guy in this movie. He's a terrible guy and promising young woman. He's an even worse guy in Jennifer's Body. He's just a bad guy. If he's in the movie look Out.
Speaker 3: He and Justin Long have made careers of if a movie, and especially a horror movie, needs a sleazy, douchey white guy with brown hair, they call Adam Brody or they call Justin Long.
Speaker 1: I hope they text about it. I hope They're just like, are you free? Do you want this one? Hope? Adam Brody was like, it's all good. I don't need to do Barbarian but yeah, you take it.
Speaker 3: Oh anyway, Also, someday we should watch the movie Tusk together because that's my favorite.
Speaker 1: Oh I've seen Tusks.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've seen Tusk.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That what an all timer. I mean, what isn't happening in Tusk? You know, nothing shortless because everything is happening. Everything is happening in Tusk.
Speaker 3: In any case. Alex and Daniel, their brothers, they come from this uber rich la Domas family who made their fortune in games.
Speaker 1: They're gamers. I love I loved the just like freezing that are pausing as we call it in the end the movie to see what the games they played, and like, my favorite was the board game family ritual. That was fun.
Speaker 3: I play.
Speaker 1: This movie is silly, It's so silly. I love it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, so we meet the rest of Alex's family. His father played by Henry I don't know how to say this name.
Speaker 1: Sure Shurney could be.
Speaker 3: I had watched him the night before in Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank god, just checking he plays Tony LEEDOMA.
Speaker 3: Yes, so he's mister Daddy, missus Mommy is Andy McDowell.
Speaker 1: Fun love her.
Speaker 3: And then we meet Alex's sister in law aka Daniels, his wife Charity.
Speaker 1: And she's a she's her hair is dark, and so you know she is gonna be up to no good in the world of this movie.
Speaker 3: I kept looking at her and being like, is that Olivia Wilde? But it's not.
Speaker 1: Yes, she is Olivia Wilde coded right.
Speaker 3: The actor's name is Elise Lavek.
Speaker 1: I believe she is like sci fi famous, but I wasn't super familiar with her.
Speaker 3: Got it. So we meet those members of the family, as well as Alex's aunt Helene, who looks very sinister. She's also the baldest woman in charge because she's got a short hair.
Speaker 1: She is the baldest woman in charge, and the baldest woman in charge is the first to explode into a cloud of blood. Yes, women can't catch up break and she's also we learn the bride at the beginning of the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I think supposed to be like a twist or a big reveal, but I was like, which is kind of like, well, yeah, dull.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, there's only so many characters, right anyways.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we meet them, and then there's also a handful of housekeepers and a butler who we see.
Speaker 1: The butler is I sound like a pilled I like, but the butler is butlering. His name is Stevens. He's more than one Stephen. He like they're not. I like, how like, I don't know. It's so fun to just be like and and here's the trope, and here's the trope. And he's a butler and his name is Stevens. There's no twist involving Stevens. He just is being a butler.
Speaker 3: He has undying loyalty to the rich family that he serves, which is a thing that we see in movies all the time that I don't fully get. But yeah, he's there, and he is several Stevens.
Speaker 1: He's more than he's You're getting more, you're getting double trouble with you hire Stevens. Although I think that sometimes I think the more common butler trope, right, is that like he's doing something behind the scenes and it's kind of this class success where the butler did it. The butler killed someone, so not Stevens though Stevens is just you know, enthusiastically showing up at work.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, Okay. So they have the wedding and then that night Grace and Alex are summoned by the family to join them for a family tradition where anytime someone joins the family by marriage, everyone gets together and they're basically like, let's play a game hashtag Jigsaw eyes.
Speaker 1: I was like, the whole it's so Jigsaw codd yes, this whole situation, like, and with all due respect to the movie and the characters, like, we have seven people in a room and they've got like fifteen percent of the raw charisma that the puppet Jigsaw has. Like yeah, sorry to this family, but they're like, you cannot be more menacing than puppet on bike, Like.
Speaker 3: I wish, come on, I wish at the end when you get like there's like a burst of flame, you see, like a flash of mister LaBelle. That should have been Jigsaw sitting in the chair or sitting on his tricycle.
Speaker 1: If they would, I I feel like James Wan would have been amenable. He'd be like, yeah, whatever you saw. He seems like a really nice guy and he's isn't James Wan Australian. I think so and so is Tomorrow or earing I guess. I'm like, the directors are American. I don't know where I was going with that, but but he is in fact Australian and it's important to talk about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Jigsaw is you know, the the I kept calling them like the little peepies because they kept forgetting their last names. But like the Peepee family isn't on Jigsaw's level, but they have. They've clearly seen Saw.
Speaker 3: And they're like, how can we do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How could we get her to understand what she's probably seen? Saw? One seems aw? Yeah yeah yeah, oh saw. Anyways, sorry, back to this movie, right.
Speaker 3: So the rest of the family gathers, including some people we haven't met yet. That's Alex's sister Emily and her husband Fitch. They also have a couple of young kids, and everyone sits down to play the game and the vibe is ominous, and then Alex's father launches into a story about how the let's play a game tradition started where his great grandfather, Victor Laudomas, met a man named mister Label who had this like puzzle box thing.
Speaker 1: He's literally jig. He's like Jigsaw.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: I also just like, first of all, don't approach a man with a puzzle box because he could be the devil Tom Hanks. And the da Vinci code.
Speaker 3: There, that too, that too, okay?
Speaker 1: Anyways, the da Vinci code was Apple.
Speaker 3: The Dvinci code was Apple also, okay, just because I already mentioned it. But the night before I rewatched Ready or Not to prep for this episode, I rewatched Dead Reckoning Mission Impossible.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, And I thought you were saying you rewatched the DaVinci Code. I was like, are you okay? Should we talk? Are you sick?
Speaker 3: What if you found out that? I just watch it for fun.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, Hey, I can't hang out tonight watching angels and demons.
Speaker 3: What are we gonna cover angels and demons?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: All right? And so toward the beginning of Mission Impossible, Dead Reckoning, there's this part where Simon Peg basically he's like dismantling a bomb, but on the inside of the bomb, it's like that cryptext thing where you have to like scroll all the things, like good da Vinci code Apple thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Was it Apple?
Speaker 3: It wasn't Apple, but it should have.
Speaker 1: Been yeah, exactly. Never ah man, I just love that there was a time that a scary book gripped the nation. But the Da Vinci code was an apple, I you know, long lived. The lowest common denominator in rocks is awesome.
Speaker 3: Awesome anyway.
Speaker 1: So they're no Jigsaw, but they're you know, they're doing their best. They're trying to evoke Jigsaw. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there's this puzzle box thing, and if Victor Laudomas can solve the box, mister Label will give him money to fund any venture. And Victor solves the puzzle box, which is how he was able to launch his card game business, which turned into a board game business. Now the family owns sports teams. I guess you can become billionaires with a gaming company.
Speaker 1: Sure, I don't know. I mean I think I'm thinking more of like toy novelty stuff. You definitely can, yeah, I mean, look at mister Beattie Babies. He owns the Four Seasons well, and he almost went to jail. I mean, wow, I know someone read specscript about the Beanie Baby's guy in Quarantine and if it was you and it was me and and Caitlin, there is a whole ass movie that they made that. I still haven't watched because I resent it because al Gore's daughter wrote and directed it, and I'm just like, I resent this nepotism at like a cellular level. Sure, why does al Gore's daughter get to make the Beanie Baby's movie?
Speaker 3: I know, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Mine was called mister Baby and it was good. No one understands me anyway.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we get this explanation of why they play this game, and so they honor this whatever mister LaBelle slash great grandfather agreement by playing a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's Jigsaw, He's Jigsaw.
Speaker 3: As per tradition, whenever a new person joins the f a blank card is inserted into the puzzle box and then it randomly selects and prints the name of that game onto the blank card. So it could be Chest Checkers, Old Maid or Hide and Seek, which is the game that gets printed on Grace's card. And when they see that, everyone has a very like oh shit reaction, and Grace is like, tih, what's going on?
Speaker 1: She is like, Grace is, let me know if this resonated for you. She feels like a Joss Whedon character to me, where like it's very Quippy's She's like, guys, what the hell, Like, what the hell's going on here? Like, I don't know, it just felt very and I don't even mean I mean, obviously we we've covered the Josh Whedon issue. That's not even what I'm suggesting. I just it just felt like she's Joss Whedon code it down to, like the the con verses and the like saying fucking he fuck, fuck dick ball bluh, blu bluh. But it just felt very Joss Whedon codd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see that, but I think that that's just like part of a larger like men who want to write women in a way where they're like bad asses, but they don't actually really know how to write women's So we just keep getting this version of women over and over.
Speaker 1: Yes, and there's a few versions. There were a few instances where it really stuck out to me where it was like, I don't know, the movie came out in twenty nineteen, but you're like, this feels dated. Like at one point, the sister just yells cock, where's my gun? I'm like, who says that? Who says? What are you talking about? Anyways, it's not even a criticism I'm just like, women aren't yelling cock Like, they're just not doing that.
Speaker 3: Speak for yourself.
Speaker 1: I just like, I've never heard that as an exclamatory. It was very jarring. Yeah, you'd say like fuck or shit, right, which plenty of characters do. But she she and it sounds like I don't know. I had this whole fantasy where like the actress was like, can I say anything else? And they're like, no, no, no, this makes sense. Please say the word as scripted and cock, where's my gun? All right? Whatever?
Speaker 3: Sure? Okay. So the point is Grace's card gets Hide and Seek printed on it, and we're like, wait a minute. Wasn't Hide and Seek the game that they were playing at the beginning where that guy was violently dragged away and it was all very scary. So Grace has till the count of one hundred slash the length of a creepy hide and Seek song to hide somewhere in the house and then the family will try to find her, and that's all that's explained to her. So she goes and she hides in a dumb waiter for a little while.
Speaker 1: She's quipping in there. She's like, what I do my random wedding night. I guess I'm just in a dumb waiter. Joss Whedon coded And here's.
Speaker 3: Here's my question, though. Does it pass the Bechdel test when she talks to herself on multiple occasions throughout the movie? No, no, but she's kind of responding. She's asking herself questions. She is and then she's responding.
Speaker 1: I mean, we can't say that. You know, Grace is not a very active character. That's I certainly wouldn't suggest it. I don't know. I mean I think it passes it at a few other points anyways, But like, I don't know, I just kept thinking. I just kept writing down Joss Whedon. Woman quipping to herself alone in a room like it's it. It evokes in early twenty tens energy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, why did she keep talking to herself? Maybe people do that, I docare well, when you find out that one.
Speaker 1: Of the directors is the co founder of like a SKA band, You're like, more of these choices are kind of making sense to me in a way that is harmless, Like no shade to actually I am a fan of a local sco thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember when you were like, I'm gonna buy a trombone and get into ska.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you know, I'm like down to skank at the SKA show. But when you're like, yes, I believe that this movie was co directed by a SKA guy. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: No, I see it.
Speaker 1: I feel like there, I mean, no one is skanking, but like.
Speaker 3: The energy is that yeah a bit anyway? All right, Okay, so she's hiding. Meanwhile, each member of the family grabs an old timey weapon because they play the game exactly how it would have been played in great grandfather's time. The only person who doesn't grab a weapon is Alex because he's upset and he doesn't want anything to happen to his wife.
Speaker 1: I think it's so interesting or I guess. One of the less effective things for this movie for me was like how long the movie is using production elements to try to get you to like sort of stay on Alex's side, where it's so obvious that he's like, I mean, he's bad, and I feel like she is like kind of responding to him in that way. But sometimes the music will come in where he's like, Babe, you don't understand it had to be like this, And then there's like, dude, ude, dude, and you're just like you think I'm gonna fall for this. Yeah, I don't know, no, I know.
Speaker 3: Okay. So Alex is upset about this whole thing, and he sneaks off to find Grace and tell her exactly what's going on. But before he can get the words out, Grace sees firsthand what this is all about because Emily, Alex's sister, who is like super coked out on drugs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she like drinks a pint of cocaine somehow.
Speaker 3: Yes, So she acts a dundley shoots one of the housekeepers thinking she's Grace, and other family members come in and they say something about a ritual, but it won't count because the person who dies has to be the bride, and then they take the housekeeper's body away, and Grace has overheard all of this, so she's like, oh my god, what the fuck is happening? And Alex explains that hide and Seek is the one bad card and the family has to play the game and they think that if they don't kill Grace by sunrise that they will all die because of some curse or something.
Speaker 1: I've got to say, I like jig saws reasoning for doing it better. Jessa is not responding to an ancient curse. He's like, I heard that you were late feeding your dog dinner. Now you're gonna eat five thousand pounds of dog food in the acts two minutes, I'll drawing quarter you and you're just like, there's not I just love how petty he is. Anyway. I think I just want to watch Saw again. Yeah, I'm like, Jigsaw, this is literally none of your business. It's so wild that you're inserting yourself.
Speaker 3: He really does not have, I would say, a strong motivation. A lot of the time this family is you know, you can't empathize with their motivation, but they are motivated. Jigsaw's just sort of like I just felt like it.
Speaker 1: Right, which is like, I mean, he is pretty strongly motivated by feeling like it. Like you can't you can't say that he's phoning it in at any point. He's like, you know, renting warehouses and so forth.
Speaker 3: He's putting in the work.
Speaker 1: I love him. God, what an angel. I love him. He did what he had to do. Okay. Sorry.
Speaker 3: So Race learns all of this stuff, and she's furious that Alex knew this was a possibility and he didn't warn her, and he's like, yeah, oops, but let's get you out of here. So he tells her to go to the kitchen while he goes to the security room to unlock all the doors so she can escape through this like surface kitchen exit. And so she sets off toward the kitchen. She rips off part of her wedding dress and we're like, wow, girl power, and she's like making her way to where she needs to go. She has some close encounters with the family along the way, including with Alex's brother Daniel, who doesn't seem interested in killing her, and he gives her a chance to get away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's Adam Brody ing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like he is.
Speaker 1: Like and Adam Brody as himself where he's just like got a glass of scotch and he's like vaguely nihilistic and like someone needs to towel him off. Yeah, but he's hot, But yeah, what is that?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Why can men be a hot when it seems like they need to be toweled off? I mean, I don't know. I'm not sure it's just me. Maybe it's just me.
Speaker 3: I do I like Adam Brody, I hope he's not a bad person, irl, because I enjoy him on screen. Meanwhile, Emily accidentally kills another housekeeper and the family is freaking out because they haven't found Grace yet, and they're like, how is she outsmarting us in our own house. Meanwhile, Grace manages to get her hands on a gun and AMMO, and then she finally reaches the kitchen, but Steven's the butler, is there, so she has a scuffle with him. The AMMO turns out to be display only, so she can't shoot him, but she smashes a bottle of boiling water into his face and then run away. In the security room, Alex manages to get the doors unlocked, but then his father comes in and knocks Alex out and then handcuffs him to a bedpost. This is also where we get the reveal that Aunt Helene is the young woman from the beginning whose husband got killed in that game of hide and seek, and we're like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was born Yester put that together? Oh, is the is the boy in the cabinet the husband?
Speaker 3: But her husband being killed as a part of the family tradition seems to have radicalized her in the direction of yes. This family tradition is very important and it's actually good actually, so she's like really into it. Yeah, sure it makes sense anyway, So Grace finds her way outside, but someone is out there with a flashlight looking for her. So she hides in this stable where all of the goats live, and I'm like, okay, black Philip.
Speaker 1: Yes are you there? Good for her cinema Also a through line of goats, Satanic goats.
Speaker 3: I mean, Satan is in the Vivich Satan is in Retty or not? There's goats.
Speaker 1: Why is no one talking about this? I know? Oh oh sorry? End of Midsummer another good for her shot. Yeah, the smile. Yes, they'll keep coming, they'll keep coming.
Speaker 3: Her cigarette is her big flower crown slash.
Speaker 1: She's surrounded by the cigarette.
Speaker 3: Okay, so she's with the goats and then the person finds her and it turns out to be one of the little kids. His name's Georgie, and he shoots Grace in the hand with the gun that he found that his coked out mother dropped. So he's a bad boy, yes, And Grace falls into this pit of dead bodies from previous sacrifice, so she manages to crawl her way out of the pit and she's running and she reaches this iron fence that she squeezes through, but Steven's, the butler, catches up with her in a car. They scuffle again, but Grace manages to get in the car and she drives off, and the car has one of those buttons where you can like push shit and it dials nine to one one. So she hits the button and talks to the operator and he's like, oh, actually this car was reported stolen, so I have to shut it down. So the car stops. She gets stuck again. She can't go anywhere, and then the butler appears and shoots her with a tranquilizer gun. She wakes up while he's driving back to the house and she kicks Steven's in the head and he wrecks the car. She tries to escape again, but then Daniel is right there. He knocks her out, and then Grace is brought to the house and the family prepares her for a ritual where they will offer Grace up as a human sacrifice, and they're drinking from a goblet, which turns out Daniel has poisoned because he has a change of heart and he wants to try to help Grace.
Speaker 1: Yay Adam Brodie fun. I mean I wish he had, you know, wish he had turned a little sooner, but yeah.
Speaker 3: That would have been helpful. But yeah, the family is like puking up blood and it gives her a chance to run away. But then Daniel's wife, Charity is like stop right there, and she shoots and kills her husband.
Speaker 1: Right, which is I mean, he was bad to her, but for sure, you know, like he you know, I was. I was mixed on that where I was like, well, I guess we as the audience are like Daniel's the best person in the family that we know, but also it sounded like he was very absent and very dismissive and like didn't like her very much. True, and like I've also it's like what did they did? They just like played Jenga on their wedding night, Like she just drew a good card and they're like we're playing GoFish. Ye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seems to be the case because there's a scene early on when the other like people who've married into the family were like I played old Maid.
Speaker 1: Yeah I liked. I liked who's like the fitch Fitch? I mean he is very much the comic relief character. But I've liked a lot of those jokes when he was replying, I remember this from the trailer, when he's like that family shit, when people are like, what are you up to?
Speaker 3: Ch It's good he's youtubeing how to use a crossbow, et cetera, pro Fitch.
Speaker 1: I liked the Fitch jokes for the most part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Daniel has helped Grace escape and but like everyone's coming after them. Meanwhile, Alex has used the chain of his handcuffs to all through the bedpost. I don't understand the physics of that, but it works.
Speaker 1: I was just like the power of Satan compelled him. Whatever.
Speaker 3: Sure, the point is he's free. Now we cut back to Grace. The rest of the family's trying to stop her. She's fighting them off, and then she kills Alex's mom, and right then Alex comes in and he doesn't like that his wife killed his mom. So he has a change of heart in the other direction, his mommy. He has a change of heart in the other direction, and Alex wants Grace to be sacrificed, and so the family grabs hold of her again. They pin her down. They're about to do the ritual. They're all like Heil Satan because turns out mister Labail is the devil. But Grace gets free just as the sun rises, and so they're like, oh my god, we're gonna die. But it seems like nothing is going to happen at first, and then they all explode into blood because you know, they didn't fulfill their end of the bargain and kill her before sunrise.
Speaker 1: That is so satisfying. It was truly excellent to just watch Aunt Helen be like, ah, right, I'll do it like it's it's it's great, and I like that. I mean just the little I mean they're not little, they're really broad jokes. But where they the filmmakers decided we're not gonna make you watch three kids explode. But then they leave the room and then you just hear like you're like, whoop. It is very funny. This movie is silly billy.
Speaker 3: It is yeah, it's true. Okay, so all the family explodes, Grace steps out into the daylight. She's finally safe. The house is burning down behind her as emergency responders show up, and then the movie ends with one of them being like, what happened to you, and she's like in laws the.
Speaker 1: End, and then we're like, okay, good for herson.
Speaker 3: Okay, where shall we start?
Speaker 1: Oh, let's start with I mean, well, I guess just a quick rundown of who made this movie? I guess. Yeah, I already kind of blew the sco thing. Sorry. This movie is written and directed by men, which, while I really like this movie, feels was deeply unsurprising.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we have a directing pair Matt Bett Nelly Open, that's mister Scotty, and then Tyler Gillett. As far as I can tell, he was able to avoid SKA I see. But they are most I think they first popped off for the movie VHS, which I saw in college. Well or they like directed a segment of the movie VHS. Yeah, and they are now most famous for the new Scream movies.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: They directed, Yeah, Scream five and Scream six and didn't support Melissa Barrera. And that's interesting, isn't it? But those are those are the directors. So we have a pair of like horror guys essentially, and I think that honestly, I wouldn't be I'm guessing that they got Scream off of this movie, which makes a lot of sense to me. Yeah, yeah, And it was written by a writer named ur Christopher Murphy, who I didn't I wasn't able to find anything out about. Guy Busic, you know, also just kind of works with these guys and worked on a comedy horror series right before this movie came out called stand Against Evil that I watched. It was a fun show and also so very like I love Janet Varney. Anyways. So that's the team we're working with here, a very hot horror comedy literate team, but a very male team. And we are centering a woman, and that's gonna go a whole lot of ways historically. And here let's talk about Grace.
Speaker 3: Yes. So, something that I've talked about at length on the show is the way that women tend to be written in horror thriller movies, especially ones written by men. Tend to manifest in a few different ways, most of them hit me, hit me, hit me, robbed me the wrong way. One that we talked about a lot, for example on the iconic Human Centipede episode who as well as others.
Speaker 1: Who could forget our very first hilarious prank.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that one is one where women are written in such a way where they seem generally unaware of the danger around them. They're overly trusting, they're not cautious, even though they've been given many, many reasons that they should be cautious of what's going on. And it just tends to ignore the fact that the world is a dangerous place for fem presenting people, and many of us are like kind of living constantly on edge, especially if we're you know, like going into a stranger's house, right, who is gonna sew you into a human centipede? So a lot of those female characters written by men ignore the level of like caution, yeah, hyper awareness, that's one thing, and or they're written to be just like unreasonable. They'll just make unreasonable choices that sort of go against any survival instincts or just anything like that, just like making choices that don't make sense.
Speaker 1: Or like observed. I can't think of like a strong example of this, but sometimes it feels like there's because I don't even think that it like you know, comes from a misogynist place, but it does come from like, Okay, so you have observed women navigating in the world, and you've just like misunderstood, Sure, why they're doing what they're doing, and you're like prescribing it in this way that is just not It's not how it goes, right.
Speaker 3: So my point here being that I feel like, for the most part, Grace is not written that way in this movie. I agree, Yeah, you know, she has no reason to be that suspicious aside from just like being among rich people, which you know would probably put a lot of people on edge. But at first she's given specific reason that she thinks she, you know, will be in danger.
Speaker 1: And I like that they plant like that. This is kind of a whirlwooden romance. She doesn't really know the family, like right, it felt like everything was kind of planted. The only thing that truly I mean, maybe this is just like some old money shit that I didn't have. I was like, why are they like they're supposed to be having sex on their wedding night?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they try to, but you.
Speaker 1: Know, but I wouldn't want my like mom quite so nearby, you know, right. Anyways, whatever, maybe maybe rich people watch their kids consulmate their marriage. I don't know who can say. I wouldn't know a thing.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't know. But the point is that as soon as danger rears its ugly head. Grace is hyper aware of it. She responds reasonably, and for the rest of the movie she is making choices that track with what's going on there. There are a few examples where I'm like, Okay, why didn't you pick up the gun that got dropped right beside you. Why didn't you run over Stevens the butler? You didn't kill him. He's trying to kill you. The whole family's trying to kill you. Make sure he's dead before you run away, right, things like that that.
Speaker 1: I was like, Okay, I wish totally. But then also I was like, well, this is her first go I kept being like, well, it is her first go round being haunted. True fair as far as we know, because we I mean, I think that it is interesting and usually I'm more sensitive to this. We know basically nothing about her, yeah, other than she was raised without a lot of money. She was raised by a foster family that she loved. But I feel like it is like the undertone of that suggests in a way that I don't think is you know, fair and the foster like the issue of foster families is so rarely discussed at all in movies, but it feels it feels like, oh, baby, she is excited to be, you know, brought into family and then quickly is like, oh, they fucking suck never mind, but yeah, exactly Like I like that we get those details about her, and it's not like we know too much more about the rest of the family other than like jig Saw is going to kill them, like you know, and the incident that we see at the beginning, but we don't know really extreme amounts about any character, which in an ensemble like horror comedy, I'm fine with the thing that I was most like eager to see play out that I was like, ooh, how are they going to stick the landing on this? But I think that I've only seen Scream five five Cream as it was as it was stylized. But I feel like, I mean, that's like literally this exact same team, and I felt like that was done pretty well too, where I understand why Grace wants to give Alex a chance to help her at first because he is literally her only ally, but I feel like the moment that she bails him and the moment she has information that is like, I have no allies except maybe Daniel it's good. I feel like a lesser movie would be like, but I love him, I have to trust him, and she has at that moment. But I think that that made sense and was earned. But once she realizes she can't trust him, like she's out right.
Speaker 3: Especially there's a scene in like the Servant's Corridor or whatever when she's like, what the fuck is going on? He's explaining the situation to her and she's like, you didn't warn me, like you knew that this was a possibility, and right, you didn't tell me any of this. And he's like, well, you were the one who wanted to get married. And then she immediately pushes back and she's like, oh, so this is my fault. And so I like that, you know, she's pushing back, and that was like, to me, a clue or like kind of like a bit of foreshadowing that he isn't the ally that he's seems to be, or that he'll he has the capacity to, you know, turn to the dark side kind of thing. Yeah. I just appreciate the way that she's written in general. But the other thing, the other thing you'll see for men writing female characters in horror movies is that women characters will be written to avoid violence or even though someone's trying to kill you, oh, I'm going to take the upper hand and not kill the bad guy who's killing me.
Speaker 1: The most recent example I could think of was is going to see Phantom of the Opera brag in theaters freg again brag Yeah, And how you know the peak of that is like, you know, like she kisses the Phantom instead of murdering him, which would be reasonable, right, And where it's like, yeah, like there's expected You're supposed to show a moment of like a woman's secret weapon is empathy, which can be true, but so can murder, Like, you know, let's keep our options open.
Speaker 3: It depends on the situation, so right, And this is not even true across the board for her character, because she does attempt to kill people. She does kill Alex's mom, she does punch a child who had just shot her. But I feel like the movie isn't very consistent with how it handles that with her character because the moment where like she gets in the car she has the opportunity to run the butler.
Speaker 1: Over, She's not gonna like rehabilitate him in this moment.
Speaker 3: All she had to do was put her foot on the gas pedal, but instead she puts the car in reverse and then drives away without running him over.
Speaker 1: So that I guess I as someone without a driver's license, I feel like I cannot comment on.
Speaker 3: As someone who's had a driver's license for over twenty years now brag. Wow, yeah, okay, okay. So I if I was in that situation, because when I saw that moment in theater.
Speaker 1: It would be so you would rise to this occasion like no other.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. When I saw this in theaters, I was so frustrated really by that specific moment of her not running him over, because I got.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I would be dead. It didn't occur to me, Oh.
Speaker 3: My gosh, he's right there in front of the car. He was just trying to kill her. She was trying to kill him too, by like strangling him, and you know.
Speaker 1: She's on FaceTime, which is like, well, oh well once they get to the FaceTime thing. Yeah, I enjoyed that.
Speaker 3: Right, and that all worked for me. But I was just like, run him over. And this is maybe just me fixating on a moment, but I also think that it's some little hint of men writing women in such a way where women are too polite and too pleasant and too delicate to do anything that might be considered like morally gray or even an act of self defense. But again, the movie doesn't do that with her entirely because can she punches a child and of course, like taken out of context, that's obviously a horrible thing to do. But I guess I just don't know why the movie isn't more consistent with Grace's character in that regard. But also I don't know, maybe I'm just being too hard on the writing and on that particular moment of the movie.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know, but I think in general, like and again it's it's tricky to like, it's hard to not compare this to how poorly this is ordinarily done. So maybe like you know, there's always like certainly things could always be done better. I think again, taste wise, like, even though I liked a lot of the one off jokes in this, you know, it's just like a trope that I find kind of a little grading where it's like it just feels yeah, very Jossweed encoded in a way that I just don't care for, where it's like overly hippy, it's whatever I want to divorce, like whatever. I don't know. Not for me, that's not a gender thing, because certainly Adam Brody is equipping all over the place, everyone is at the Twilight coating of nice dress, Converse shoes. I could keep rattling off the ways in which this movie feels like it was almost certainly written in the early twenty tens, even though it was released in the late twenty tens. But that's not what this show is about. But I do feel absolutely certain that that's the case.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: In any case, I do like Grace, and I also think that, like Tomorrow, Weaving gives a great performance, like almost better than the movie deserves. She was in the trenches and you could feel it. You could feel it.
Speaker 3: Her uncle el Rond from Rivendale was like, tomorrow, here's how you act. And she's like, thanks, uncle.
Speaker 1: I got it. That's exactly how napotism works. Ye. Melanie Griffith like took Dakota Johnson aside. She's like, today is the day I teach you how to act?
Speaker 3: Well, Okay, hang on a second, now that you mentioned Dakota Johnson.
Speaker 1: Madam Webb, her Web connects them all. I think we're gonna I think I hope it's good and we can cover it on the show. I mean not good, but like good bad.
Speaker 3: Well, what I was going to say was, Okay, it's Wedding Webruary, Madam Webruary. Is that anything.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're going to release a third episode this month, and we're gonna go see Madam web I'm gonna go see I'm gonna go see Madam Webb tomorrow alone or with people, doesn't really matter to me. If you if you're free tomorrow night, I was gonna go see Madam Webb.
Speaker 3: I might be, so I'll join you. I do have a.
Speaker 1: Want of spield Web.
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry, I have a whole spiel on Wedding Webruary, and just like wedding representation in this movie. I'll get to that in a second. But oh yes, because I was talking about her not killing the butler and she had a chance. I do want to talk about how all of the first people to die in this movie are the like, yes quote unquote help yes, the working class people.
Speaker 1: I have that note as well, and they're also given like they're all essentially the same character.
Speaker 3: Yes, no characterization, I mean the butler stands out because he's actually given lines and he's integrated into the plot quite a bit more. But there are three like maids slash housekeepers who are all just basically the same person. We don't know anything about them. They're the first three people to die. They all get accidentally killed by someone, so Emily the sister accidentally shoots the first housekeeper. We learn her name is Clara, and they're like she was our favorite.
Speaker 1: Right, which is a class I mean, I feel like they're trying to do a class thing there, but I just it didn't hit for me. And it also takes a very long time for a man to die in this movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, Yeah, the optics of a movie being about like taking down the rich, but the first three people to die are working class women.
Speaker 1: I felt this way. I mean, and I haven't. I only saw the menu, just the ones, so maybe I'm misremembering, but I remember feeling like that not like other girls' ness of the main character also sort of applied to her class, where like she is not like the other poor girls, like or not like the other poor people for reasons because she's the star of the movie. But yeah, it was interesting that like in a movie that has a clear vested interest in saying something about class, that the working class characters are picked off pretty abruptly, especially three you know, three women that well we learned I think their names, they're interchangeable, and yeah, and then you get Stevens, who I yes, you have more of him, he's the working class person that lives the longest. But yeah, I was, I was. I thought it was like kind of a miss and a missed opportunity to leave Grace entirely by herself, because that could have been an opportunity to, like, you know, if we keep some of those characters in the mix, that's a chance for them to connect. That's a chance for her to like form an ally shop even if it doesn't work out, Like but I think it was. I don't remember the name of the last was it Dora? I believe Dora.
Speaker 3: And then there's a one in the middle who I think is the only person of color in the movie who's not like a background actor at the wedding. Yeah, she I don't even think has any lines, nor do I think we learn her name.
Speaker 1: She's credited as Tina, but I didn't remember hearing that either, So yeah, we get those three housekeepers killed right away.
Speaker 3: And this is something I've talked a lot about recently too, that I and maybe there is truth to this, And I just don't know because I've never met anyone rich enough to have servants. So brave of me for that to be the case. But the characters who are like the servants to the rich people in movies are almost always written to be these like unwaveringly loyal employees to the rich families that they serve, even if the rich families are doing horrible things the way they're doing horrible things in this movie. And I just I'm sure there's some sort of like aspect of the help being dehumanized in a way that it sort of conditions them to think that they have to be so loyal to the family. I'm sure there's something there that I just don't have a full understanding of because I, again I don't know anyone, but like you're acting like I do, well, But I just like it's more just like, is there truth to this slash? Why are servant characters always written to be this way? Because we were talking about this and like, yeah, I feel like we talked about this in the Beauty and the Beast episode, and we talked about this in the Haunted Mansion and what a Girl Wants and stuff.
Speaker 1: I think that there is most likely not true that I mean, and even if there is, you know, like a long term loyalty to one's employer, it's certainly not like one dimensional in this way. Like that's a complicated thing. And I don't know, like there's still movies that are doing that where they're like our servants are like our family, and you're like, well, but that's not true, like there's an exchange going on. But yeah, I don't know. I guess I would chalk that up to how every character in this movie is fairly one dimensional. But again, it's like if Grace is the only person Grace and Alex and Daniel are kind of the only characters that get a like shades of gray shown in their personality. Yeah, for what this movie is and what it seems to be. You know, however, Goofily trying to get at to knock off our working class characters so quickly is ridiculous. It's like weird.
Speaker 3: It just feels antithetical to what the movie's trying to say. I think what it would have worked better is if and if you have like one like hyper loyal servant character and that's Stevens, Like fine, but it would make more sense to me if the three working class servant women are like, fuck this family, I don't want to be complicit in the awful things they're doing, and they try to help Grace or.
Speaker 1: At least, yeah, some gradient among the three women, because like there are three people are gonna feel different about this situation. I think, yeah, Like I'm not bothered if you know, because there's sometimes two the other direction where it's like all women are loyal to women, which is just demonstrably untrue. Sure one is like no, I'm saving my ass tonight, like best of luck to you, Grace, But yeah, like another person that's like, let's work together, which probably would have been really helpful for Grace and clearly the servant because it did not work out for them. I don't know. Yeah, like if there was some I also just feel like that would have made the movie a little It would have resolved some of the like second act, like she's getting out of a lot of like there's a lot of set pieces that she has to get her way through, which is great. But it would have been cool to have someone with her for a little bit of even if they don't make it to the end, because she's the final girl and this movie is not trying to get around the final girl trope, like and that's fine, but yeah, it just why even have Like it just felt like the working class the three women specifically were put there for it to be shocking when they suddenly started dying, like that is sort of the only function they serve, and in a movie about class, that is like not a logical Like, that's not a thoughtful choice.
Speaker 3: Right, Instead, another pitch for a different way to handle it would be if you need bodies, bodies bodies to start dying in this movie, which stands a reason it's a horror thriller where violence is happening and you want to see people die along the way, just bring in more of the rich, bring in some cousins, bring in some other random family members who can be in on this, and then make them more minor characters who are the first ones to die. That would have worked better for me too. Yeah, anyway, so I guess it boils down to I appreciate that this movie's obvious agenda is like, yeah, rich people are scared and soul lists and they'll go to whatever lengths, whatever horrible lengths, to hold on to their wealth. And again, it's very cathartic to see them die at the end, and I'm glad that, like no one was spared because they're all complicit to some degree.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was something that I was like, really, God, I hope that it's not the sort of thing where it's like there was one really good guy and you're like, no, there wasn't. Come on, yeah, be serious.
Speaker 3: The other spiel they have ties back to the theme of wedding webruary.
Speaker 1: Let's web it.
Speaker 3: Let's madam web this together. So most movies that feature weddings frame a wedding frame the idea of people getting married as this amazing, celebratory thing that's so happy and nothing will ever go wrong. And this movie is more of a kind of cautionary tale of having a wedding or of getting married, and a cautionary tale of how doing that significantly changes a person's circumstances, or can significantly change a person's circumstances. You know, you get you inherit, these in laws possibly and a dynamic can change in your relationship.
Speaker 1: Or that just like you could be marrying. I don't know. I mean, I guess this comes up in movies, but not in wedding movies. We're at the air where it's like you married the wrong person and that's okay, you can get out of it, like that's you know, or I mean in Alex's case, it's like getting married does not fundamentally change what a piece of shit you are, Like right, you know, it's like not because yeah, I think that, Like you know, weddings and just married in general are often presented as this cure to a state of being whatever that is, and I feel like what that quote unquote means has changed over time, but still it's like, well, this will fix things and it never does, like it never that, you know, if you want to get married, get married, but like you're I feel like the successful a successful marriage indicates two people who know that they're going to be the same people after this day, and Alex is clearly I think Alex is getting married because he thinks that like she can fix him or whatever, and then once he realizes that he can't, he turns on her.
Speaker 3: Right, So yeah, speaking personally as someone who has very little interest in getting married, brag. I appreciate a movie that does present getting married as a cautionary tale. And I'm not saying that everyone who gets married is going to have awful in laws who are going to try to kill you, but sometimes but it does.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: But a lot of.
Speaker 3: Movies just present and the concept of marriage in this very sanitized, fairy tale way without recognizing the effort it takes to maintain a marriage, or the compromises that come with getting married or anything like that. And I think there is a gendered aspect to that, because for sure, girls and women in particular are often sold the fairy tale of wedding and marriage, and they're kind of encouraged to have unrealistic expectations about it, Like fairy tales and brom comms and all those things are targeted toward a specific demographic because in so many societies throughout most of history, marriage is slash was a way to turn women into property. So you had to trick women into thinking that marriage was awesome actually.
Speaker 1: Exactly, that it's special, that it's like special and it's your day and like you are not big exchanged for goats, this is your like yeah, and that you get and and you know as time goes on, and that is although it's like still I don't know, like when my parents were married, it was only very recently that like my mom could get her own credit card, Like it is still like there's elements of that exchange that are present in marriage, but and and in different parts of the world it works differently more so or less so. But even in the places where that is not the case anymore, there's like this commercial aspect to it now and like where it's like you have to got I mean, how much did those twenty seven dresses cost her? Anyways? Uh, Like now it's like an event and it's I feel like where some of the thankfully some of the women as property has been lost legally over time, although that's being regressed as well. It's been replaced with this commercialism. And like you're saying, like selling the fantasy starting from when you're very young, yeah, and that fantasy is not sold to boys and men in the binary children's entertainment universe. I feel like you are sort of conditioned to be like more like I am provider.
Speaker 3: I am like.
Speaker 1: There is still this ownership that comes with how men are conditioned to see hetero marriage right, and women it's like it's my big day and like whatever happens after today, I don't know, but that's I mean. But also, you know we talked about we we love to attend a wedding. We love to attend a wedding.
Speaker 3: Invite us to your weddings. Slash will officiate them.
Speaker 1: It's also yeah, I think it is like yeah, I always say I agree with you. I think that this movie. And I also like that we don't even really go We don't go to the wedding. We go to like the photo shoot and then the after party. Like the movie very intentionally does not care about the wedding, right, And that's fun. You never see a movie about weddings where it's not leading up to the wedding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great. Yes, So again I just appreciate even though this movie is a very like heightened horror movie version of this kind of cautionary tale, I appreciate it nonetheless because of how most movies again present it as a very fairy tale, sanitized Oh, it's the wedding is the best day of your life, and who cares about what happens after that? As long as you just have a really nice wedding, and I like that the movie doesn't take that approach.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree, thanks, And yeah, it's a fun I've never seen a wedding movie like this. You know, I don't necessarily need another, but I think it's it's unique in that way. In other ways, it's you know, doing a fun the same thing. Yeah, I want to talk about the other women in this family. Sure, we don't know very much about them. I mean the anti k Doll character. Again, I feel like maybe this is like a writing thing where her being awful was like supposed to be a twist where you're like, but like I knew, like the doy I don't know, we get a little bit from her where she I mean, she and Daniel are kind of like doing the same thing where they're like, we like you, we like you, we're rooting for you. But at the end of the day, the board game dynasty must stand. And I don't know, I guess there's really not I don't have that much to say about her. I wish I had a little more to say about her. I also think she would have been a cool character to like turn against people too late. I don't know why, Like, did the person who ends up sort of switching and like beginning your redemption arc before being killed have to be a brother. There are so many women in this house, but you know, I think there's an opportunity for like especial because you know, his mother has seen this happen over the years and is the quote unquote an outsider. She's buried into the family, So it would have been cool to see another woman who is an outsider feel a type of way about it and maybe, you know, at least offer some sort of solidarity. Even if it does, I don't know. I just feel like, especially because it's like they had Andy McDowell, I just wish that they had done more with that character. I don't know I did. That was all I really had to say about it. I just wish that there was more to talk about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's kind of not much to talk about any of the other women because with Daniel's his wife Charity, you learn that she has the way she describes it, well, she barely describes it. She just says, like, you know what my life was like before this, Because he's Daniel's criticizing her for like not flinching the second she learns of this family's like you know, nefarious history and their yeah goat sacrifices and all that kind of stuff, and she's like, well, as long as I'm rich, I don't give a shit. And so that's her character.
Speaker 1: And you know, there.
Speaker 3: Are people like that who come from humble beginnings that definitely you know, suddenly have access to wealth and then they become an evil person. Seems to be the case for Charity. But that's kind of all we know about her.
Speaker 1: I also don't know like why they Like I had questions about why these two were married at all, Like they don't like each other, which is I mean, that's like ninety percent of married couples. But like, I do feel like in a movie you should get some sort of taste of like why things aren't working or or just yeah, because with Charity, the only explanation you get is this sentence of like, I am not going to go back to being poor, which is certainly like you're saying an attitude that exists. But why did they get married? You know, because at least we can tell from the you know, very kind of dry opening scene of this movie that like Grace and Alex like each other. They seem to you, that's why they appear to have gotten married. Yeah, that's why a lot of people do it. Not all, but but but many. M Yeah. With with Daniel and Charity, I'm like, was this arranged? Like why?
Speaker 3: I mean, my guess is that they did love each other for some time and then they got married, and then they grew to resent each other and hate each other the way.
Speaker 1: We're just supposed to go on our like what we know about what happens with married couples is they like each other for a while.
Speaker 3: And then they don't anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I don't know. I just felt like it was, especially because our sympathies are with Daniel, that it kind of turns us against Charity in a contextless way where again and again, like the same missed opportunities as Andy McDowell's character.
Speaker 3: True, and then the thing that makes the least sense to me, But maybe maybe there's something to contextualizes. I don't know. But the way Aunt Helene, what is that you see her in the beginning, She's the bride whose partner is being human sacrificed, and you see how traumatizing that is for her and how upset she is by it. She seems to love her husband and is very sad that he gets killed. The next time we see her, she's been radicalized in the other direction, and she's like, no, this tradition is so important and it's for the greater good. But like, we don't understand how she has that turn, or like what prompts her to arc in that direction as a character, so.
Speaker 1: And that it's like we're like owed by the narrative if they're gonna go out of the way, Like, her behavior makes more sense to me if we don't even see that beginning scene right, like you're just like, oh, this is the like and again playing into like cooky older woman stereotypes. Right, Everyone in this movie is a stereotype to some extent. But it makes more sense to me if we don't know that she's been through this tremendous trauma, because then I'm like, you need to tell us how she got from A to B. You just have to.
Speaker 3: Yes. I agree also with Aunt Helene. I feel like the trope is present of an older woman, especially one who is unmarried and who doesn't have children. That type of woman equals scary, creepy Crone because even though she and Andy McDowell's character are presumably roughly the same age and the actors are similar in age, Aunt Helene I feel like, is styled to look older. You know, she's got like the short white hair, and then just like considering she's often presented as this like startling jump scare or just a creepy presence in general. Ye, that feels pretty intentional to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think that there is like a certain kind of visual coding to that as well. That is, and like also the way that that character is written, as we just talked about, like kind of falls apart under light scrutiny, and it seems like in favor of having her be the like I'm gonna use the word kookie because it just is like this void of like the kookie Aunt that is like chosen in favor of giving us a character that was set up, and the visual choices support that sort of like we're just gonna do the kookie Aunt aesthetic instead of thinking critically because it's like this movie is challenging somethings and then other things are just like there as you would normally see them, which I feel like is like men maybe true, just throwing that out there, but yeah, yeah, that that definitely felt dissonant, and also like both of those characters are under like it just sure what is their relationship like because these women have known each other for thirty five years.
Speaker 3: Presumably what I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's just no insight into The only insight you really get is like Alex and Daniel, which is another thing that like Emily is left out of this sibling dynamic. She's like turned into a you know, like very stereotype, like you know, she's always high and she's jittery and she's killing people. Where you know, Alex and Daniel get you know, it's still the tone of the movie, but they get some sort of arc as siblings. They get some sort of arc morally, Emily is like there for comic relief, Like why is that.
Speaker 3: Every scene she's in she just like snorts some more coke or eats some pills.
Speaker 1: Which is also like weird, I mean in a way that I don't even know how to feel about. But like very like rich lady stereotype, like using uppers all the time and you know, be pleasant and be appealing and blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't even know how to compute that in this context, but the point is, Yeah, why isn't she brought into the fold of the sibling dynamics. She's just sort of like she's the koked out mommy who's dealing with trying to raise a family. I guess, even though you barely see her interacting with her kids. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't even realize she had kids until it was like surprised. That was the kid that Tomorrow Weaving punched in the face, was like her kid. Yeah, and that is only there to teach Daniel that this is actually fucked up, you know, Like I don't know. I yeah, especially like I I love a sibling movie. I love siblings at odds. Sure, Succession is my favorite television program. But this, yeah, she feels very intentionally left out, to the where sometimes I forgot she was their sister. Same so that's not great. Yeah, yeah, I would have liked to see her more meaningfully included. Shout out to Melanie s. Grafano, though she is currently on Star Trek's Strange New Worlds, which is a really awesome show starring Hot nepotism Ethan Peck as Hot Spock number two because Zachary Quintal is obviously also well Spot. You know, all of this boxs are hot. Sure he's Gregory Peck's grandson, question mark, Okay, Yeah, anyways, nepotism is everywhere, guzy, Madam Webb in any case, Yeah, I felt like that there's every woman. I mean, and I want to be fair and say that, it's like, it's not as if there aren't male characters that are underwritten or dimensional to some extent. Everyone is, but it's just as like who is given a little more tends to be the male characters outside of Grace getting the edge time and time again. I thought Fitch was funny. He family is shit.
Speaker 3: He's also like deliberately written to be very annoying so that you're when he dies, you're like, finally, yeah, yeah, certainly there was more room for a little bit more character development all around. But yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: But it's also like, I don't know, I honestly like, if you're not watching for that, like this is a fun movie to be like brain switched off. The entire family fucking explodes at the end, Like, uh, it's awesome, It's so awesome.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's all I had to really say about it at this time. I'm sure I'm missing something, but well.
Speaker 1: I mean just to state the like, this movie takes place in the rich white people world, and we're also contained in an environment, so it's like not a movie that is even really open to any sort of diversity. I feel like by design, but certainly worth mentioning. And yeah, I like, you know, in spite of the flaws that we have, just you know, taken apart at length, I enjoy this movie. I think it's fun, same and it reminds me why I like Samorrow Weaving because I feel like that I can't think of another movie she's like the lead of She's in a lot of stuff, but yeah, I feel like she's rarely the sta Anyways, I like her. I like this movie. It passes the Bechdel test, yeah, sparingly, but it does.
Speaker 3: Not very much. There are a couple conversations between Grace and Becky, who's Alex's mom aka Andy McDowell. Those conversations are almost always about Alex, I think, so I don't know if those count, but.
Speaker 1: They were like two line it was. It was minimal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm inclined to be like the whole thing is pretty much about Alex. But Grace and Emily talk about Grace's wedding dress and how Emily has been stalking Grace on Instagram, and so that passes.
Speaker 1: Stalking another woman on Instagram. Yeah, that does pass the bactyl test. I do it every day.
Speaker 3: Well, you don't have to stalk me, Jamie.
Speaker 1: I'm right here, Sorry, I'm doing it anyway. Called one one.
Speaker 3: I won't be stopped, Okay, And I contend that Grace talking to herself does pass the Bechdel test.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I guess, well, I mean, and I can find passing the Bechel test to be annoying. So yeah, I think it does like it does, and I think spiritually it does. But there were more opportunities, like we're talking about, like, so let's let's I mean, well, let's get into the true metric, the one true metric.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nipple scale wise, I would give this movey. I will go like three, I think, yeah, maybe even three and a half, somewhere in that range. I do appreciate the commentary on rich people are scary and isn't it fun to see them explode? I appreciate the way that Grace is written, especially compared to so many other women in horror movies that are written by men and men just having a fundamental misunderstanding of how women move through the world, what motivates their choices, etc. This movie didn't really do that, so I appreciate it. It is a very white movie based on just the premise that is put forth, but that doesn't mean there weren't other opportunities to be more inclusive. Again, there was, oh, a woman of color as one of the housekeepers, and she didn't have any lines. She It just like pans to her as she's being brutally killed, and then that's all we get from her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I mean I think that and that that applies to race, class, like everything. There there were opportunities, but yeah, they just needed to be centered on these rich white brothers. Yes, more interesting opportunities were afoot.
Speaker 3: But truly so, I'll give it three point twenty five nipples and hopefully this kind of paves the way for a little like for more kind of like nuanced examinations of like taking down the rich. This is a very fun one. This is a very heightened, silly version of that story. But I also feel like it missed some opportunities either way, three point two five nipples, and I'll give one to Tomorrow. I'll give one to Hugo Weaving.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 3: And then I'll give one nipple to the actor who plays Tina the housekeeper, who's the woman of color who doesn't get any lines or I think a name that we hear on screen. The actor's name is Selene Cy. So I'm giving one nipple to her, and I'll give my one quarter nipple to mister Labail the devil. I love mister Labail slash Jigsaw. It should have been Jigsaw.
Speaker 1: I'm going to do it. So I'll keep your short and see, I'm giving it three nipples there, I'll go in to Jigsaw. Okay, I think, yeah, this is a fun movie that uh I think maybe like a little of my own, like you know in twenty nineteen Big Dress Conference Shoes, really come on, be serious, serious, you know, it's just really it feels like was this movie produced by a man named Trip and someone from the Vanderbilt family, which is another thing we talk about all the time where you're like, oh, interesting that a literal Vanderbilt is like, oh, the rich people are bad. Movie am I right, guys, like we're all hanging out here. Shut up, you know, like fuck shut up anyway. Yeah, I just think it's fun that the producers of this name were named Trip, James, Vanderbilt, William and Brad, Like, come on, you know it's written. It was. The movie is written by a guy.
Speaker 3: Named Guy and I'm.
Speaker 1: Really turning on everyone at the end, and was directed by a ska musician. And and do I like the movie, yes, But do I think that it like outside of its female protagonist. I think that this is like a thing that a lot of male writers and filmmakers tend to do, is like I'm gonna get one woman character right, and then the rest may like you know, and on and on and on. But if you're looking for a fun slasher movie, holy shit, Like the end of this movie makes any issue I had leading up well worth it. The whole family fucking explodes into a cloud of blood my favorite kind of death. It's great, It's so silly, silly, Billy's uh tomorrow weaving fun, three Nipples to Jigsaw, long live ska music.
Speaker 3: Wow, And there you have it. Listeners. That is our unlocked episode from the Matreon on Ready or not. And as we said at the top of this episode, most of our Matreon episodes exist only on patreon dot com slash spectl cast, so head over there to access those episodes. It's only five bucks.
Speaker 1: A month, always has been, always will be.
Speaker 3: And that gets you two bonus episodes every single month, plus access to the back catalog of over two hundred bonus episodes, most of which again are behind that paywall because we have things to buy, such as food.
Speaker 1: I was like, such as rent. So yes, thank you so much for listening, and double thanks if you are Matrian subscriber who is revisiting this episode. We will be back next week with more piping hot, fresh content and let us know if you liked ready or not too. I don't know if you can handle two women in a movie this week, totally understand if you have to see Project Hill Mary and you can only handle Ryan Gosling and a rock at this time. That is where we're at culturally, and let's not just let's we don't need to talk about it. Yes, we will see you next week. Bye bye. The Bechdel Cast is a production of iHeartMedia, hosted and produced by me Jamie Loftus.
Speaker 3: And Me Caitlin Dorante podcast is also produced by Sophie Lichtermann and.
Speaker 1: Edited by Caitlin Durante. Ever heard of Them?
Speaker 3: That's Me and our logo and merch and all of our artwork in fact are designed by Jamie Loftus, Ever heard of her?
Speaker 1: Oh My God? And our theme song, by the way, was composed by Mike Kaplan.
Speaker 3: With vocals by Katherine Voskrasinski.
Speaker 1: Iconic and a special thanks to the one and only Aristotle Ascevedo.
Speaker 3: For more information about the podcast, please visit linktree slash Specdelcast