Speaker 1: The volume. What's Up, Everybody? Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show. What's Up, Everybody? Welcome back to The Draymond Green Show with Baron Davis. We are live. We got the legend BD, what's happening? What's happening? And we got So there's this clip that goes around and I see it all the time. It's this clip that go around. We're playing against the Lakers when I was a young guy in the league, maybe like my first and second year, because this guy's oldest dirt now, so you know, it gotta be my first and second year. And there something happens. We get into her and I turn and it's like it's run. It's mattering.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: By the way, just so we're clear, I don't know whether I don't know whether I should call him Ron Meta, but because I think that there's a respect level, I'm gonna call him Ron. And when this thing is happening now, people go back and they play the clip like he knew better, and it's like I was actually so unhipped in I didn't know better, Like I actually would just do anything then, like the person that people think I am now, I actually was then and I was like I didn't know any better, like I would have did anything then. But I'm saying that I'll just be one hundred percent honest with you on this particular intro because this guy is an NBA champion, and just because you're I used to respect NBA champions. I actually don't just respect people because they're NBA champions anymore. But this guy in particular, I have the utmost respect for because of how he played the game, how he went about his business. To be like, you all don't know what it is to be a superstar player in the NBA and then accept the role. I've never been a superstar in the NBA from a scoring standpoint, but I know what it means to accept the role, and so I know what those two things mean. And to be a superstar in the NBA and average twenty plus points a game and then say like, yo, I can still average twenty plus points a game, but I'm gonna actually take on this role so that I can be a champion. I got the utmost respect for that, and so.
Speaker 3: B D and R are.
Speaker 1: Honored lucky to have this next guess on the show. BD, you can bring it in, but I just want you all to know how honored I am to have this next guess on the show. A guy who's won championships, a guy who go about his business the way he go about his business, way we go about our business.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: Like people call us dumb, they call us stupid, they call us loose cannons. They say, we don't know what's going on, and yet we know everything that's going on. And so I'm honored to have this next guest. But BD, you bring it in because it just makes more sense for you to bring it in. B D.
Speaker 2: A Swiss Army knife of moves, the epitome of a two way player, plus more, the harder Queens New York, Queensbridge stand up, the as of New York basketball, the legacy Laker, future Hall of Famer, streetball Hall of Famer, rapper, investor, but now a fun manager. I mean, there's nothing this dude can't do. That's why I say he's a Swiss Army knife of culture. He's been a pinnacle in our game on the offensive end, in the defensive end. He can get a bucket, he can stop a bucket. There's very very few people in the history of the game that can move like my guy Mann war.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good baby, thanks for having the intro. Is incredible. Your Draymond respect you so much. That clip that they had. Once I saw that clip, I tweeted right away, I say, your Draymond's the illness I respect he was incredible. They trow they trying to throw gas on the fire man. Don't be trying to a Draymond. If Draymond ain't scared of nobody, I ain't trying to give me a little argument with Draymond.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen, laughing up, Drake. You know why I respect that the most, It's because I got the utmost respect for you. I got the utmost respect for you. Matter the way you went about your game. I got the utmost respect to you, how you handle yourself, how you walk around the NBA. But when I saw the clip, I'm like, yeah, y'all taking this out of context. I wasn't scared. But here's the beautiful about Here's the beautiful part about this this situation. It's I'm not scared. He ain't scared. And in the NBA, as you know, when two people aren't scared, that's when you just move on. I'm not scared of you. You're not scared of me. You with the utmost respect. We're gonna move on and go do our job. And when you have the guys that are scared, they say wild ship because they are afraid. So it's the wolf mentality where you a wolf.
Speaker 2: When you're a wolf and you see a wolf, it's like, Okay, I see a wolf, you a wolf.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going about my business.
Speaker 3: You know you're doing. I had the issue with Ben when Ben pushed me. He was like, why you didn't fight? Then I said, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Listen, by the way, in that situation, Ben is not really gonna do anything to disrespect you because there's a respect level there.
Speaker 3: You know, he pushed me, he pushed me, but you know, man, he pushed you.
Speaker 1: But there was so much going on in that situation, like this guy's on the floor, that guy's on the floor, this guy's fighting that guy, right, But there's a respect level that come amongst the guys that it's when you get the guy, and so everybody in the world will say, ah, you tried that on that guy, and it's like, no, actually, that guy was the one that says something so wild to me that I do want to crush him right like, because he don't understand the respect level. That's the monks, those type of guys, and so he'll say something wild and you're like, y'all destroy you.
Speaker 2: Like he amend eighty five percent of that is true. Fifteen percent of that Draymond been on slapped and slapped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeh. I'll be I'll be seeing Draymond. I don't know you sold my tweets, and I'll be like, yo, I see if Draymond grew some wild shit, I'll be like I'll tweet like, hey, young fella. You know I might have beaten you one time. Honestly, I might have DMN dreamer. I ain't gonna lie, like, yo, my god, you need to tell me how you looking at your DMS. You probably gotta do from me.
Speaker 2: Hey, bro, we came a little white up, we came a little white, especially being medal.
Speaker 3: I know, Man bed eve on each other since sixteen Man me and.
Speaker 2: Rod because ro remember you remember the bout miss Remember remember the Austin shoe.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah high school?
Speaker 2: Why hey hey he was killing he avers like thirty the whole tournament.
Speaker 1: But New York Window Games, that's New York basketball, New York basketball.
Speaker 3: That's I'm trying to bring it back to the Knicks name.
Speaker 2: Back then, you Ron our test was fucking murdering Bro thirty he was getting he had thirty on us.
Speaker 1: Maybe he had like thirty seven on us. Me shame man. Ye had thirty on Atlanta. But they lost every game? Hey brother, all turn the All tournament team was announced and he was chilling seta sobalos in the house. Ladies and gentlemen, uh said, just walked in. Uh so look.
Speaker 2: They was like, your son, your son, you didn't uh you didn't make a tournament.
Speaker 1: He was like, what I didn't do?
Speaker 3: What? Wait?
Speaker 1: He didn't faked all tournaments? O, bro, that's like NBA voting.
Speaker 2: Well he went down the line and he said, how did I make all tournament?
Speaker 1: I bust his ass and I gave him thirty. I buzzes, that's what I gave him.
Speaker 3: Thirty.
Speaker 1: Hey bro, this is during the this is during the awards ceremony. Hey Ron, she was like, fuck that they kicked the table over. I was crying.
Speaker 2: That is I remember that you got a lot of common dude.
Speaker 1: I'm proud a boat yall. I gotta say.
Speaker 3: Sorry, bust the shootout. I respect y'all. I don't know it was you was killing in the wards, not of proving the wool.
Speaker 1: No, he was killing them.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: That is crazy, man, that's insane. That's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you like then, Mom, we kind of similar dream.
Speaker 1: No, I've I've you know, you, like I said before, one of the guys that I have the utmost respectful.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: So my mama raised me, and my mama raised me like you don't. You don't bow down to man like you don't. I don't care what they've done and how great it's being. You don't bow down to men. And so for me personally, when I came into the NBA, everybody to me was just some like an equal playing field, like, oh, man, like I respect you, you're great, Like damn, I respect the way you go about this. I respect, but that don't mean anything to me when it comes down to me doing what I gotta do, you know, And when I take a step back, though, I think there are some guys that just earned the respect because I do know this business. I do know how this thing works, and I watched how they went about that business. And you're one of those guys. For me. So I just want to say thank you for coming on the show. We appreciate you, and I want to get right into game three. Both of youll reactions to Game three. They say when the series is tied one to one, team that win game three goes on to win eighty one percent of the time. And I think when I look at this team, no one expected Indiana to win game three. They haven't won a game three all playoffs long, and yet they come in here and win game three. Just what's your reaction to them? What them tying it or them taking the lead to one, and you know obviously what that history is of eighty one percent of the time they're.
Speaker 2: Going to win the series. Man, how you played in Indiana? They won at night? No give us your assessment on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was at the game, you know, and I was just like, for me, I want to see them win bad because I feel like when we I was he probably shouldn't want if I have kept my head on straight.
Speaker 1: Who don't talk about that man that come on now you're killing.
Speaker 3: Let me bring it, let me and it's perfect because it's actually perfect because you on this podcast, and when I think about how you play the game, Drake, if my head was on straight, I probably would have as much rings as you had, right, Like, I look how you play the game. But no matter what people say about you, you never got ejected. You never got ejected. Incoushi K. So you actually did have focus, you know what I'm saying. No matter what people say, but your your your your your passion is just next level.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So you know, when I look at Indiana and what we could have done, and I'm looking at it now. If they win this title, it takes a whole burden off our back. It'd been been twenty years, but the fans were so pissed at me for so long. We got over it. They deserve it. They felt like we should have won. They had our back. They supported me through the brawl and all this stuff, through my immaturities and all this stuff. So now I'm sitting here at the game, you know, a half of the burden to be off, you know, be off off my back for sure if they weren't. This is a long puma for them so much, and they remind me of the Detroit Pistons team. This Paces team reminds me of that Detroit Pistons team. A little bit different body types, but like in terms of playing together, not making mistakes. You know, no real superstar. Detroit became superstar, even Drake. Y'all became superstars at Golden State, you know what I'm saying. And y'all earned it. And now you see this team, like if they win it, they should be bolerfire superstars. They won the title with no with no real superstars.
Speaker 2: Honestly, right, that makes a lot of sense. I mean, you you gotta earn your way. And I'm watching the game and Indiana they just don't stop, right, even when they was up eight and Haller Burton got the deflection with two point six seconds on the clot It just says something to their mentality of we're gonna finish, We're gonna finish, We're gonna finish, We're gonna finish. And the dynamic of their team. Everybody plays defense, even if you are not a good defender. They give every every effort that they can possibly give. They give it. On the defensive end. They scrappy, they fly around, and I think, okay See is running into the same problem that the New York Knicks ran into. You cannot play this Indiana team. You can't play one on one basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna.
Speaker 2: Wear on Okay, see to not move the ball. Every time somebody had the ball, the ball stuck, you know. And I think Indiana thrives off of that because they wear you down so in the clutch, when you ready to go one on one, everybody standing around, that's when they swarm.
Speaker 1: I agree with that one hundred percent. I think for us personally, when we when we were going through that transition, we didn't necessarily understand it. But I've been fortunate enough to win four championships and I think the one thing that I come away with it is our offensive brand and the way we play is as great as Steph Curry is during those During those times, at times we've used Steph as a decoy, and we had Steve Kerry as a coach, who's one of the greatest coaches to ever coach in the NBA. He's comfortable enough in his own skin to use Steph as a decoy. Because when you have a Stephan Curry, when you have a Kobe Bryant, when you have these type of guys, oftentimes coaches are afraid to use them as a decoy, to use them to put everybody else in the best position to win the game. And I think one of the best attributes that I've witness with Stevens, like he's cool with him where he's cool with using Steph as a decoy. And what says so much about Steph Curry asks who Steph Curry is, is he's cool with being.
Speaker 3: Used as a decoy.
Speaker 1: He don't have the ego. When you look at us winning the championship in twenty twenty two and not being his first NBA Finals MVP, the guy just want to win. He don't care if it equals out, if the points equal out to this, if they assists equal out to this, so that I can win finals MVP. He don't move that way. He just want to win the championship. And so when I look at these teams and you speak about one on one basketball, I know for certain that doesn't work. We played against the Spurs and my rookie year, we played the Spurs in the second round after we beat Denver, and when we played against them, I remember a game where Steph had like twenty points straight or twenty one point straight, and I'm like, yeah, we're doing it.
Speaker 3: It was Game four.
Speaker 1: We were up to the one possibility to go up three to one against Spurs, we had never had any success. That's a big deal. And Steph had like twenty points straight and not kept the coverage the exact same. And his point was, let's see him beat us. Can he beat us over the course of forty eight, not can he beat us over the course of twenty eight? Not can he beat us over the course of thirty eight? Can he beat us over the course of forty eight? And sure enough, Steph went for eighteen straight twenty straight. The moment he missed the shot, San Antonio was rowing. And so now because we've gotten so hell bent on watching him do what he do, letting him score the points, no one else was in rhythm. They came back, They one game four, they won Game five, they won game six, they won the series in six. And so I've watched that until your point with Shae. The one on one and it's not Shaye's fart, it's their offensive system. But the one on one sometimes can catch up to you. And I would ask the question to run, as someone who has to guard those guys, what are you and you going? And you played with Phil Jackson, who's the guy or one of the guys who talks to you. What are y'all going into in a playoff situation like that where you got a guy like that, because I know for us, James Harden was that guy, right, and we played James Harden like, Yo, he gonna get thirty points in the first half, but we need to lay him work down and then we'll come back. What was it like for y'all in situations like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we just trying to stick to the coverage and we played against KD the first year and we had to switch because your Kd's coming off these screens then we had we had switch buying them on. It was no, it was that was the best coverage and we just had to stick with it. And you know, sometimes he had to was buying him sometimes buying them a garden well, but if it was pal we tried to keep pal off buying them was moving, you know, they buying him was but he was moving a little bit better on the perimeter, you know, and then when buying him maybe maybe he was hurt or fatigued, will switch the coverage. But you know, Phil, Phil was like really just sticking to it and to your point on one on one. You know, one of the reasons why it's so hard to guard Lebron because he's not only going on on one even though he's a great one on one player. When I first started planning against Lebron, what really was killing me was that he was a team player. So when he would move the ball, he would move it in the way where you had to shift. You know, he was moving it to a good target where the defense was gonna be all out of whack. So not only was he doing that, he was also really good, you know, as a one on one player, so you can't help off from too much. Then when you're closing out to him, that's a huge problem. And like you said, you know, in terms of of this game, yeah, if you're gonna recall this is this is Rick Carlou's comfort zone because now the game is more physical. So if you want to play one on one, well, now you're just asking Rick to coach how he coached in two thousand and four, and that's what he do. The game is physical. You can touch, so it ain't like you can get a clean shot off because your arm is gonna be moving right now, you see how the game is like real physical right now. I mean, so they're gonna have to change something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: Also, man once again, and I'll say it again, you gotta stick with your guns. You gotta stick with your lineup. Your best lineup is your big lineup.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: What I saw tonight was chet hold after five is not an effective fact for Okay, see because he don't protect the pay, he don't rebound, and he.
Speaker 1: Does it wrong.
Speaker 2: And in order for Shay to get to his sweet spots, you need that pack get wrong with a big dude rolling to the home so he can get to fifteen seven foot seventeen feet in a sweet spot. With Chet, you picking and popping. And once again, if you don't have nobody filling the ghost or or filling the lane, then you really don't have no space and everybody can be guarded. And so I'm looking at this own KC.
Speaker 1: Lineup.
Speaker 2: By avoiding the big guy, am boiding your big lineup and saying you never giving yourself the chance for them to adjust to you.
Speaker 1: And so I favor Indiana and this series.
Speaker 2: If they're gonna keep trying to figure out, hey, we're gonna go to the small lineup and think it's gonna be effective.
Speaker 1: Like we said with the Knicks, the same thing.
Speaker 2: You cannot beat the Indiana Pacers with a small lineup because they're big. They have big, versatile fours, three four, four, stretch four files.
Speaker 1: They have that.
Speaker 2: Versatility and play at a certain pace where you really can't match it.
Speaker 1: So you get cross match you.
Speaker 2: Know, all your defense, and that's what I'm saying. Well, okay, see check, you know check he's switching out on picks. He can't stand in front of somebody, right they shoot the three. He at the top of the perimeter. He's not He's not inclined to go crash the boards and so Obi top in Pascal Siakam at the four, half of five. They're gonna always outplay chat out. The NBA Finals are here and every play could be the one that changes everything. This is the NBA Playoffs where heroes rise, legacies are built, and the action never lets up. And with DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA, you don't just watch the madness, you live it. Back your favorite team right with your clutch time killer. Bet on the buzz beaters, the breakout performances the game winning threes from player props to same game parlays. This is how you take your fandom to the next level. If you're new to the game, no sweat. Download the Draft Kings sportsbook app. Bet just five dollars and if your bet wins, you'll score three hundred dollars in bonus bets. It's that easy. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook cap and use the cold Bear. That's Cold Barn for new customers to get three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins. When you bet just five bucks only on Jraftkings, the Crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one on over agent. Eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario. New customers only bonus bets expire one hundred sixty eight hours after issuans four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dkang dot co slash audio.
Speaker 1: So I have a question for both of y'all in if that's the case, and I'm gonna bring a different viewpoint from it, for from what y'all may have because of what the rules were. So I'm gonna ask this question specifically if that's the case and what you're saying, Bed, which I agree with everything you're saying, in the world of second aprons, what the taxes are, all these things, can you then pay that guy one hundred and eighty to two hundred million dollars? Because when you do that, when you look at this OKAYC team, when you do that, right, like you got Shay who gonna make seventy million dollars a year, you got Jay Dove who's gonna make fifty million dollars a year, and you got Check who's also going to make that type of money a year. But when you do that and under these rules, Alex Caruso gotta go, Hartstein, gotta go, lou Dort gotta go, can you still be successful at that level if if you can't depend on him to be able to protect the rim at the five Because that's what it creates.
Speaker 3: Well, I think like you get a window opportunity, you know, you get a window opportunity to put these teams together. And you're right because it will look different. I was talking to somebody today, I said, I don't think Michael Jordan ever had a team like Shay. If Michael Jordan was on this team, wow, And this is no shots that Sha because I actually thought Sga I said, at times he's better than Michael Jordan actually because at times his game is just incredible. But it's true, you lose a couple of key pieces. You know, that's that's gonna be an issue. Whereas Rick Carlile, if you notice a lot of people, they don't know how to coach bigs, which is why they don't play bigs. Which is why I can't wait coach because I love the coach bigs and tandems. And then you guys at in Golden State, you guys took advantage of a slips. You guys never passed up on a slip. There's a lot of teams that slip there, big got mismatched. They won't pass it because they don't trust. They don't trust and and in the end of trust, oh, if you slip, we Ri Carlo's like, throw that ball hole to Thomas Bryant, right.
Speaker 1: Facts, which makes a big difference, I think because you look at it a lot of times, most coaches ain't going to tell you to though the brat of Thomas Bryan. Right, They're gonna leave Thomas Bryan open, which then, as you know, allows then Mark Dagna to say they ain't throwing the ball to him, so we don't even have to guard him, and it takes on a whole different life, whole different life.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's a science of basketball. You always want to get the ball in the middle of the floor, right, and if you can train your big guys to understand how to stop catch, look, everything is wide open. And that's what Miles Turner can do. Not only can he stop and catch, but he can he can shoot, Thomas Bryant, can shoot, Pascal Siakam, he can create and make players.
Speaker 1: So can I ob top it? So okay? Se they they not? They not?
Speaker 2: When they hit the roll men, it works. Indiana is science, right, is science that is going to break the second wall of the defense where you automatically got a three on two and if you got any playmaker. That's why the Warriors was so great, Dre. That's what made you so great is Steph gets double team. He automatically hit you. And it was almost like a science, right, It was almost like a science, like, damn, I get to play three on two, three on one with people recovering.
Speaker 1: That just that just breaks the defense back.
Speaker 3: I agree with you.
Speaker 1: Listen, here's how it went, DOBD for me. Steph Curry grabs two guys, which leaves us three on two on the backside, and then one guy's not helping off Klay Thompson. They ain't leave Clay Thompson's body, right, So guess what I got a three on one on the backside. That's what I said. Yeah, absolutely, So for me personally, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Speaker 1: When you could that's been and I'm sorry, Mata, that's that's been my thing. I was actually just with PG watching this game, and PG got the Pacers winning, and I believe the Patiers can win this series. But my only thing with that is if the Patiers don't get Pascal Siakam the ball enough. He is the one guy on their team that every possession he has the ball, he can get to the shot he's trying to get to. And secondly, not only every possession that he had the ball he can get the shot to get to, but every possession he has the ball, he's the one guy on Indiana's team that can create a double team which makes the next domino fall, you know. And so when I take a step back and I look at this series, I really like Indiana. I think Indiana can.
Speaker 3: Win this series.
Speaker 1: I just don't know if they will because, for instance, you watch this game tonight, they had seventeen turnovers at one point, Okay, see how the eleven and they were down two points. So ultimately, when you get down to it, and okay, see play their best game in Indiana, play the best game. Who's winning that game? Okay? See?
Speaker 3: I mean you know, and you know the thing that the one thing Indiana has Last year when Jannie got hurt, right, I think a couple of people got hurt with Indiana advanced, right, they took the advantage of that the advanced as you have to as you we all know, you have to take advantage of those things, not to take advantage of that. But what happened is they gained the experience, right, So then they in the semi finals or whatever, they gained that experience and now they took that into this year even though they're the same type of team. Right, they even finished in fourth place, but in the play right as you know, they got an experience that Okay, see they don't got so any chink and almah. Indiana's like, ooh, we've seen this before. We're gonna take your bantage of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's knowing who you are versus still discovering who you are. Right, there's there's no doubt when when when the ball needs a when they when Indiana needs a player needs a shot, they know who to put the who to who to get a ball to Halliburton, Pascal Nemahar. Everybody else is getting in position waiting for them to make plays. Right, Okay, see it's really two people Jaylen Williams.
Speaker 1: And and Shay.
Speaker 2: But with okayc because they play such a one on one type of style, that ball is sticking to their hands, right, and so thinking about you know, Indiana and uh and what they did with Shaye he was nine for twenty tonight, I want us, I want you to talk about just his play, Like what does he need to do more of right to get.
Speaker 1: Okay? See over the hunk man.
Speaker 3: I mean I actually don't want them to win, So I actually don't I love Okay.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 3: I think she is dope, Like I said that sounds is better than MJ. But I don't want to give anything. I want to actually get the wrong information, like hey, split your legs and go behind your back.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about let's talk about her bird. No, I got I got something, I got something, got a gym, give me a jim. Because my thing is this, as someone who comes from a system of you got Steph Curry. At times, Steph Curry gonna be the guy and do everything that Steph Curry does, But at times you have to you have to know when to use Steph Curry against everyone else. And we're we're not really trying to use Seth Curry. So as someone who's lived through that and I see what's going on in the series, I think, honestly and I think Shae gotta be more aggressive. I don't think. When I watched that game tonight, I'm like, when's shake gonna come? When when he gonna do when he gonna when when is Shae going to do what we know.
Speaker 3: Shaye to do?
Speaker 1: And as someone who's been in these situations, don't get it twisted. You can hear somebody say Shaye shooting too much is gonna hurt them and try to lessen it a little bit.
Speaker 3: This is human nature.
Speaker 1: And when I watched that game tonight, I never felt like Shae said I'm taking over this game. I'm gonna win this game and do that. And so I said all of that to say, as much as I think ball like, I come from a system of like you move a ball, you hit the open man, and that's that. That's not their system. And so what I would say is to Shae, don't fall into the trap of the world. Because the media around the NBA Finals is bigger than any NBA game media in the history. Don't fall into the trap of what the world is saying of like, yo, he's shooting too much. He filed me. Fuck that.
Speaker 3: Game, Yeah shoot it, thud, you gotta go for It's truths like my rhythm when I played with Kobe and I only got one tighter. But when I during that time, you know I had to be I had to be the best role player I could be. So sometimes I had to shoot the shot that was in rhythm, even though I wasn't in a rhythm. I didn't feel comfortable because I don't have I'm not taking forty shots like I'm used to. And on top of that, sometimes I would miss and I would have to go to a nine, and then the media is like, why are you shooting? Oh, don't shoot. Then you got the arena listening to the media, and arena is like, no, don't shoot you over. I gotta shoot it right because and flow and Pal is going towards the offensive boards right now, so as if his biggest coming out, if I shoot it now, he got a chance to rebound it, which he's done before. Right, So it's like it's true now in Shay and SGAs Row, same thing. You can't listen to us what other people saying. You gotta do what's best for your team.
Speaker 1: So in saying that, because what you must understand is I watched these these things as a sixty hero, and I remember, but I've always been interested in the game, right, like what they're saying about the game, And so I remember watching you play in those finals and watching you playing those playoffs, and when you shot the three on the right wing, everybody like, why would he shoot that three? Yeah? Real time, Cole Ryan. Is that And I've heard the stories. You can correct me if I'm wrong. I've heard the stories of like you left there ring and right after that in your jersey, in your uniform, went to the spot. Is that the Is that the thing that led to the feeling of like, yeah, I'm out of here, I don't need to shower out and do anything. I'm going to this club in LA which is probably was Graystone at the time. I'm going and do this right now in my uniform because I know what that feels like. Is that the thing that led you to like all of those ideas?
Speaker 3: Not really after game since I got I got a little lifting, want to throw that in me. I want to write the Equinox and got a little lifted because I wanted to get I wanted the lift time to recover, so I got I left the staples, got to Equinox at about ten fifteen, got a quick lifting, and then that carried over the game seven, you know what I mean, got the lift in and then when we won. I mean, for me, it was like I felt like I would never want a title because I was so immature, I put my team at risk of losing. I had no I had no emotional control for a long time. So when I wanted, I was like, damn, I actually wanted. Like I didn't even realize we won until I looked at the clock and when the clock said zero zero, I'm like, oh, we really wanted.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So my mind was just all over the place and I just was you know, I always wanted one. I never really wanted. I didn't want more, but I always said I want one, and then like I was gonna be happy on it. Maybe if I'd have said I want two or three, maybe I got two or three. But I was really happy, and like that's something I partied. I drink and that shear we came and got swept my Dallas.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's that's funny. That's funny. But you know, I think when when I take a step back and I look at those series, I'll be honest with you this this year, and I've already said this on this podcast. This year, Julius random completely bust my eyes. Like nothing I can do about it. I made him take shots. I wanted him to take. I did the things I wanted to do. He completely bust my eyes, But I'll be honest. When Steph went out of the lineup, Steve asked me to Draymond, we need you to push the ball down the floor every time we get the ball, as if we're on a fast break and somebody missed the shot, because we need to create advantage and we need to create mismatches. And if you just push it the way you push it, we'll create the mismatch and then we can get the ball to someone who can take advantage of the mismatch. And so that was my whole focus in the series. It's like, I'm gonna just get it soon if it go in or if we miss I'm coming back to the ball.
Speaker 3: I'm get it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna push. We'll figure it out after and I will I will say to you, I haven't said this to anyone in the world, but they'll know it now. When Steff went out, it was like, Oh, I need to push the ball like that and I need to score. And in my career, I haven't really been in that situation much where like I need to push the ball, I need to anchor the defense and I need to score. And so when we got into that situation, I could push the ball, I could ancher the defense, or I could push the ball, I could score anchor the defense was a little tougher, right, Like those things played a part into who I was. How did you go about being run our tests?
Speaker 3: Who scored.
Speaker 1: Twenty points a game, twenty two points.
Speaker 3: A game in the NBA.
Speaker 1: Two Metal World Peace, who may score eight points or may score four points. But I'm gonna lock your lock your guy up. I'm gonna bring that physicality because to me, it's the first time in my career actually where I had to like do all of those.
Speaker 3: Things, and it was it was difficult.
Speaker 1: Look at what happened to us, it was impossible.
Speaker 3: It was difficult. Like to go, imagine in your prime contract, Yeah, you know, you're in your prime. And that's what was really difficult. It is like, you know, I'm like dad, I can't really show nothing. There's no room. Like so I said, you know what, I'm a role player. For the rest of my career. I got to hear people say, how am I getting old? From the year probably I was a thing twenty five in the playoffs and then I got worse than six months. How hard I didn't get worse in the six months. People like he old Now I'm like, damn, I can't even back myself up.
Speaker 1: But I can't. I can't.
Speaker 3: You got Kobe, Kobe like, I don't care what they say, and bring that ball to me. Medivo in that corner and you stayed there. But it was tough. But you know what I was like, you know, that was the toughest experience I had. And I said, you know, I'm just gonna be the best role player, and I was. Actually I learned more from that than you know when I had the opportune to teacher score.
Speaker 1: No. Most definitely man talk about.
Speaker 2: I always wonder, you know, you playing for Houston, get lots of the Lakers, they beat you, and then you wind up joining the Lakers. Did Kobe reach out to you? Like, how did what made you want to go to the Lakers? How did how did that trans Well?
Speaker 3: Initially I didn't want to go to the Lakers, and I never wanted to go to the Lakers, like I had opportunities that people called me and you know whatever, I don't want to keep talking about it, but I always wanted to play against people. So I tried to go back to Indiana. I was always trying to go back. Well, first I was trying to go back to Houston, you know, I want to get into US. I was supposed to go back to Houston, and then things happened, which is is incredibly annoying. Then I said, okay, what's next. I'm always trying to think about the Knicks. But then Donnie Walsh was at the Knicks at that time, so I feel a quick signal out there that didn't work.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Donny was that we had the issues in the history in Indiana. So then I tried to go to and back to Indiana, but you know, those conversations quickly went to it was still fresh in people's mind and heart. Then I tried to go to Detroit. That's what I was trying to then, and then they was like, nah, we can't you know too much history. I said, listen, this is gonna be epic. Run our tests with an artest. When a backup at Detroit, Jersey, I said, y'all missing the whole point. This is legendary. They were scared. I'm like, I'm not worried about I got people in Detroit. I love the trait when I go to you know, I got people they love me in Detroit and the fans they go crazy in Detroit. Like I literally got fans in Detroit. So then that didn't happen. And then but the first team to call me was the Lakers. The Lakers called that total one. That was I was like, they called me, and my agent was like, David Bawman, Hey, the Lakers want to speak to you. And the first thing I said, I was like, for fucking what the first these days just beat us. He was like, they want they want to sign you. I'm like what the Lakers, I said, I got to call you back. I'm like, damn, Like doctor Bus, Phil Jackson, I'm like, this is crazy. Met with doctor Bus that morning, me chatted. He was like, yo, I can't pay you what you deserve. We only got to ADMD and I was like, don't even worry about it, Like this is incredible. That's how I got to the Lakers. Spiller, Yeah, as I got to the lacan that's fire.
Speaker 1: That's that's insane. So when I look at this game game three, yeah, I want to ask you to guys a question or something because and I'll ask you to this both of the both of you are this question because I think for me personally, the one thing I never want to become is I don't want to become one of these grumpy older guys that played the game before, and I feel like I'm hating on the younger guys. I never want to become that. So in saying that, when I watched this game, when I watched these NBA Finals, I'm like, yo, I don't feel like this is the level of preparation.
Speaker 3: This is the level of like.
Speaker 1: Like dowding this that like when I played in the finals, I don't feel like they do that. And the reason I feel like like when you look at specific thing, I'll point to a very specific thing of why I say that. I feel like when I was coming through the NBA Finals and I had to win the NBA Finals, and this could be my coach. Like again, I think my coach is the greatest effort. Maybe he not, that's for everybody else to debate, but I think my coach is the greatest coach. And t J McConnell getting a sneak back still would never happen. Like we're we're so dialed in on that one thing in this game plan that there's no way t J mcconna's gonna hop off the guy he's going to to get the steal. And I watched him get two of those tonight and I couldn't believe it because I'm like, yo, this is last, this is the NBA Finals, Like, hey, you can get this still in the NBA Finals and you ll no. And you got that still on Tuesday, November tenth, twenty twenty four, and now we're in the finals in twenty twenty five and you get that steal. So I ask you, guys the questions as two guys who's played this game, I'm still in it. But as two guys who played this game, Like, do y'all feel the same way about this NBA Finals as you have about previous.
Speaker 2: I would actually say I have been extremely impressed watching these whole entire playoffs, Like I am fucking loving the playoffs, loving the finals.
Speaker 1: The games are good. Is good basketball.
Speaker 2: It may be it may not be, you know, like two teams playing at the ultimate perfection, but like it is good basketball, and that TJ McConnell Steele the second one that changes the momentum and So Drake, you and I talked about this in the beginning of the year that okayse they will take a.
Speaker 1: Couple plays off mentally.
Speaker 2: Just because they're young, just because they have more talent, and shit like that comes back to haunt you. You up for right, you don't get the offensive rebound, they score too. Then you in a rush to throw the ball nowhere, this kid steals the ball, lays the ball up, Tye score Haller Burnon come back hit a three.
Speaker 1: The whole momentum you never recover. You never recover.
Speaker 2: So carelessness, right is hopefully something that and as you watch championships, you see teams that may lose on a fluke, going all the way back to Detroit Pistons when but when Blarry Burns stole the ball, shit like that happens.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The teams that win make those moments happen. And that's what Indiana is doing different than okay see okay see may take a playoff, may make a lack of daysical past because they have that they have kind of like a real nonchalant charisma. Yeah, and like that nationalt charisma. Also that shit can play against you where it's like, oh no, should affect me, but I don't care.
Speaker 1: But it's like you can't shake your shit out. You can't shake yourself, you can't shake yourself out of it. You know.
Speaker 2: That's that's where that's where my hiccup is. And TJ McConnell he is, he is the essence of what Indiana basketball is. That's playing hard, has taken advantage of every mistake right and and being first to the action.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean to TJ mcconne's point, I'm ann answer generals question. Also, but how was that game five in Indiana one of those games they came out, they were shooting a bunch of threes. TJ came into the game, started driving the ball into the teeth of the defense and changed the whole game by the way, right, which they then came back and one. If TJ didn't do that, they would have lost that game. You know, you always need that player that see like, oh we're shooting too many threes. I got to come in here and do something different, start penetrating, you know. And then you look at last year Indiana, you know, without those injuries, maybe they lose, but they was making the same mistakes that Okac is making.
Speaker 1: This year.
Speaker 3: The difference is they kept going, they kept advancing, and then they gained that experience. So now you got an OKAC team who, yeah, they do a lot of things. Well, they got a lot of great individual talents, a lot of great role players, but you know they're not prepped in every single in the little areas. They're not prepped him. Like you said, d how are you getting those two stalls? Well, Phil Jackson, you know, press breakers are part of the The press breaker is a part of the offense. Right you look at what happened even at Milwaukee. And I don't even want to give away much. I'm trying to be a head coasals, but I try to keep a little bit for myself. But it's true, how are you not prepped?
Speaker 1: You know, let a press break, bro. That is like basketball, one on one.
Speaker 3: It is one on one. It is the most you know, it's it's important and sometimes you don't go through it. You get into these playoffs, especially with the game being more physical, beauty to your point like I'm enjoying this year. This is I'm enjoying the playoffs like it was. It was incredible this year. But as physical as it is, you got to be ready to break the press because guys is touching you now, you know what I mean, and they're not They're not prepared. You gotta sprint to get open, like you gotta work to get open. You can't be like you said lackadays, I ain't working. That's not working. In the finals and recalling this is right and were called out sweet spot under he played in the soft era, sort of a self era. He went through all those errors and you're telling me now they're saying you can touch Oh, this is Carlos sweetspy right now.
Speaker 1: Blending Vice's signature dynamic storytelling with the high tame world of sports, Vice Sports brings an exciting and diverse range of programming beyond the game. From gripping behind the scenes documentaries to hard hitted, investigated pieces and in depth profiles of athletes, coaches, and teams, Vice Sports captures the raw energy, drama and passion that makes sports unforgettable.
Speaker 2: Recent Vice Sports premieres includes Brady Versus Belichick, The Verdict with host Chris mad Dog RuSHA, and a sixth season of the hit show Dark Side of the Ring.
Speaker 1: And That's not all.
Speaker 2: Vice TV also televisors exciting live sports action with Arena Football One and BKB Bare Knuckleboxing.
Speaker 1: Field the adrenaline of Arena Football one, where fast paced action and high score and takes center stage in a thrilling, kinectic environment. Then brace your self for the raw, unfiltered intensity of bron Knuckle Boxing, where literally every punch counts.
Speaker 2: These events bring the audience the excitement and unpredictability of live sports, no holds barn. Whether you're a die hard fan or a casual viewer, Vice Sports offers a fresh bowled, unfiltered approach to sports you won't find anywhere else. Kessy's action packed live events and other exclusive sports programs only on Vice TV.
Speaker 1: Go to vicetv dot com to find your cable channel.
Speaker 2: And and the thing that Indiana is doing, They're making you start your offense.
Speaker 1: At half court.
Speaker 3: They doing what the pushes it does. Yeah, Indian doing what Lindsey Hunters, who's one of the greatest point guard defenders in history. Like, this guy was.
Speaker 2: Man, he was He was a harassment. It was a bonafide harassment.
Speaker 3: In current you're not getting you're not getting your offense until all day.
Speaker 1: Oh they he harassed.
Speaker 3: This is what I was doing. The Pistons didn't have Lindsay Hunter.
Speaker 1: Man we win that series, So you think someone at the because again, we live in the world where people had that on the Fance, where the media.
Speaker 3: I think the media controlled the NBA.
Speaker 1: By the way, just so we're clear, I players, there's this common misconception of players have the power in the NBA. I personally think the media has the power in the NBA, Like I think that's who controls the NBA. But are you saying that you think because I actually a couple of days ago I spoke about how I think it is Alice Caruso is the most important player on third most important player obviously obviously j the I think Alice Caruso, Yeah, it's the third most important player. Oka and Ron, I'm hearing you say, Lindsey Hunter, do you think a guy like Lindsey Hunter is that important to winning the championship?
Speaker 3: And I wish Lindsay Hunter. You can't have Lindsey Hunter and Mike James on the same team. It was really difficult. These guys was harassing us. I mean, we couldn't get the ball. It was really difficult because, yeah, Jamal Tensley's incredible. But you're talking about when you play against these guys. They said the Mike James Denison and Lindsay, can they sent to Mike James Dennison and Lindsay, you're not getting into your offense, you know until thirteen thirteen seconds I package at that point in half court at half court. Yeah, yeah, please taken off the court, like, please don't put him in the game. And we're gonna be okay, Mike, just one Mike James, you can't have. And Lindsey was a little bit better than like, even though Mike was more athletic, but Lindsey was a scientist when it comes to, you know, putting pressure in the back court. And that's what the paces got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's it's Jus the disruptor, right, and you are one of those disruptors. Like when you think about somebody who just completely disrupts your offense, and that can be picking somebody up full court, making them making your point guard past the ball close to the half court ring is disgusting for a point guard. And if you can and if you watch Indiana, okay, see get across half court. They run and pick and rolls at the half court line just to try and get some space. New York did it the same way with Brunson runs and is damn near using the half court line as another pick. And so if if your defense can extend that far all game, then when it comes down to the clutch and now you gotta play in a tight space, you ain't nothing open. You can strength the floor and you can still cover ground because they can't. They don't see space. They can only see space in from half court, which is terrible. You don't never want to start your your offfense at half court.
Speaker 1: But that's the fact I think when we look at those type of guys like TJ McConnell for us, is to your point, he's doing the same thing. When you look at those type of guys, you just when it comes to the NBA, yes everyone is talented, Yes everyone is skilled. All these things you Bill Belichick has to saying to make out this is not Bill Belichick saying, but Bill Belichi. Check the way Bill Belichick goes about his offense is Bill Belichick goes about his offense. He said, I'm gonna I'm gonna double team the best wide receiver, the best wide receiver you have excuse me. Bill Belichick will double to your second best wide receiver. He would double team your second best wide receiver and tell you go ahead and beat us.
Speaker 3: What's your first best wide receiver.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna double team your second best receiver so he can't get anything, and I'm gonna make your best wide receiver beat us. Can you beat us over the course you look at the NFL game, it's fifteen minutes record. Can you beat us over the course of that sixty minutes? Why are you jocking? Bill Belichick? Yeah? For stealing? Fan? Man? What see Cadi ran handed? Hey, you know you did when we all when?
Speaker 2: When?
Speaker 3: When?
Speaker 1: When? When you all got championships? And now I don't give them fun.
Speaker 2: When you're a fan, you know you don't quote God. You don't quote the rival coats. If you a Pittsburgh stealing, you don't quote Belichick. When we all got championships. We don't even matter because we all got the championships.
Speaker 1: So you your way. I'm gonna win in my way. But Bill Belichick and he said, I'm I'm a I'm a double team back. You best receiver. You gotta make people make decisions. First best receiver, that's what Carlo is doing and and that is exactly what Rick Carlo is doing it. Shake Gillis, say, Shay Gillis is Alexander. They're loaded up their boxes and elbows there, the whole defense is overreacting. And then Jay Dub gonna get a drive to the whole and he bumped one guy, he get a dunk and one. They telling him, we're willing to let you go beat us. Yeah it can.
Speaker 3: We're not letting Shake go beat us.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: And I want to ask the question to both of you guys, is is that ultimately sustainable.
Speaker 3: Game plan to win four games in this series? But I think you said earlier, I think Shay got a shape problem, right, he gotta he gotta bring He didn't. He didn't bring his game yet, So he got to answer that first question first, right, then he can get to that, you know what you just asked just now, you know, because even if they were doing that, imagine that's Kobe, even if they were sending the double, doing the tilt, you know, Kobe splitting it, figuring out how to attack that. You know, he might go five for thirty, you know, pop when he's gonna try to he's gonna try to break you, and he's done that a lot, and I think that's that's the first problem that Shade answer.
Speaker 1: So when you're speaking about Kobe, I love that. So when Shade, so you're you agree that Shade just need to be more he he he need to go fuck it. I don't give a care if we win lose. This is what I'm doing and let's win off that. Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 3: Actually, she should just go down his dark five times. That's gonna work.
Speaker 1: So listen, you know what's crazy is one of the biggest things Steve taught me. And I've never said this on camera. He taught me how to deal with the media when you're when you're in a playoff series and and you acting the way you're acting right now. Tells me how much he learned from Phil. Because you actually the way you're you won't say anything. So let's just get right into it. Then you won't say anything. You recently announced that you wanted to be the head coach of the Knicks.
Speaker 3: Tell me why New York, New York. Let's just start there.
Speaker 1: Queensbridge, Fine, this I don't know. I don't know if you queens Bridge finds.
Speaker 3: Don't tatta get that to you.
Speaker 1: I gotta get that to you.
Speaker 2: Over nows you loved it way more love and more states and more cities. You know you got a loyal colt like you. You've taken Queens everywhere.
Speaker 3: That that is true. Let me tell you how it is. Look we look up to nas. You look at the Jordan right like Nasa is. Like imagine growing up in NASA's he grew up right here, you know what I mean. It's insane, right. So, but Na's told me one time, he's like, yo, you the man like Na's this say, yeah, you know you. I say, I say, what up?
Speaker 1: King?
Speaker 3: He said no you? I said, hell no, I ain't you the king? Now I get out here with that.
Speaker 1: You the king?
Speaker 3: You're the king that I called myself the Prince of Queensbridge.
Speaker 1: There that's fine.
Speaker 3: No, but you know, yeah, I want to be the head coach because one since nineteen ninety nine, I've been trying to get to the Knicks. Baron we was at the draft together. I had to yes, I remember that. I thought that was gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Bro it happened.
Speaker 3: I was Baron came into my room.
Speaker 1: I was ironing in my my.
Speaker 3: Sivil dollar bills. I was like, I'm gonna have more money this. I wanted to go to the draft, Crispy, So I ironed all my my singles.
Speaker 1: I had.
Speaker 5: I had about thirty five singles. So then we get to the draft. He came from my room beat, Oh my god. So so I'll get to the draft. I was projected to go top ten. You know, even if you look at the draft, you'll see I was projected to go top ten. But I was telling my agent is let it get the fifteen please? So I get to fifteen.
Speaker 3: I got the knit warm up under the practice Jersey Gay. I was ready to get drafted. Rip it open like New York in the building, we win this title. That was the whole player, right, So they passed on me. The bulls take me next. I'm walking on stage looking at Missus. I got the bull of Jesus right there. I'm looking. I'm not even oh, I'm looking at tops like yo, what today? Even staring right there?
Speaker 1: So remember boss to come remember the bus.
Speaker 2: That's what he was. He was heydud. I couldnot believe that I was crying. I could not believe that I could everybody. It was like everybody knew. Everybody knew that was.
Speaker 3: Here supposed to go to the city. He was supposed to go to the city. It was supposed to happen. I'm a New York ledge so many championship so when it didn't happen, you know, I love the Bulls, I would go to the Bulls, go to Indiana. I was always thinking about going back to the Knicks. But now I'm building. Uh so, you know a family in Indiana, which is like my second home now, right. So then almost in twenty ten, I almost went to the Knicks again, but Mellows available, all these other player Lebron's head now, so I was like, it's priority now, right, Even though I was still a pretty good player, I thought they should have picked me up. I'm a New York City player. But it proved my point that if they were to pick me, imagine that defensive player of the Year in New York. Imagine being I was on the best team in the East. You know, you heard, you know it was a little bit so that could have been in New York. So then I go to the New York At the end of my career, I'm like, this is great like I'm in New York like it was a blessed and shout out to the next do I love the next organization after the next shout out to all. So then at the end of my career, I knew I was going to get into coaching because when I was at my last two years with the Lakers, I was I would leave practice of one of my Palisades girls practice. That's when I started coaching. I always wanted to coach, so I did two years at Palisades with coach Trino Johnson, and we won two championships there. I was like an assistant coach. I do the G League when I retire half a season part time because I was I wasn't really into it fully when I want I needed a break from basketball. Yeah, and I wanted to spend time with my family too. I had a long career. So then what I did was I became an assistant coach associate head coach at cal Stay in LA for seven years, the last seven years up to now at A. Now, yeah, it's Division two, but I did try to get some opportunities, which is nobody's fault. But I just could not get on it. NBA team Now, I could have got on the Lakers, but the timing was on the Lakers GD but the timing was bad because I needed a break from basketball, so the time was bad to go to the Lakers. So that window left, But I just kept coaching. I had some coaches that said they might call me, they might call me. I had no call back. You know, I was trying to give g Lea's. I was trying to get ahead, get there, but no calls back. So you know, in the old school, if I need to go into the gym and a gym is closed, I'll just go outside of the park and work on my gang. That's what I've been doing over the last seven years. I've been working on my craft. I'm on my shiz nick right now where it comes to coachure because I've been through the emotion. He took a team from the last twenty to thirty years before I got there, no NCAA appearances, to having the rough first year. Second, you got better to make it an NCAA two years in a row and being ranked in Vision two, you know, in the top ten in the preseason. Now, greated, we had an injury last year, right, But that's coaching and now. So I didn't expect this nit job to be available by the way I was. Actually I was in I was on the island, like literally at a coffee shop. I get the tweet, I'm like, ooh, I gotta get on the but but but I'm ready for that moment. It's like dre if you pick, if you set a double screen, you know, call it the left corner double screen, and they show too much, you're gonna slip. You're not thinking about that, you slipping boom. That's that's I saw the opportunity. I slipped, you know, I saw the shot. I took it. I gotta send that tweet out now because that's how ready I am. That's how ready I'm ready for the press. You mentioned that earlier, like oh, these guys is not ready. I'm ready for the press. I wanted this opportunity. This is in the back of my head forever. So when you saw it, then I say, I got to create the momentum because I don't have an agent. This is a one man band.
Speaker 1: You think you think you think you can coach, all right, so listen, say abe, the Knicks don't make a trade, right The Knicks don't do anything. They come back with the same team next year, right, you think you can coach those guys to a chapel.
Speaker 3: My A game right now. I'm on my A game for sure, like and so let's just speaking it from that perspective. This is not like saying I'm not in the talks. Nobody has called me, so I'm not. This is no pressure on the Knicks. I love the Knicks organization because I also do a lot of community service with the Knicks. But this is not to put any pressure on the n This is just talking as you know, I honed to be on the show for sure. Like when I look at I'm a Pacer fan, I'm at the pace the game today one. I'm gonna be honest, transparent. But when I look at that game, it was little thing we talked about, the little things. I don't want to give it all away because I want to save it for when I coach, But we talked about not being ready, you know, or things they could have done different. You look at the end of the fourth quarters, what happened. Even the bounce alone with Halliburton, that's soft touched. Even that one bounce goes the right way we're talking. It have been a different series, you know in the Guard.
Speaker 1: So just from that.
Speaker 3: Alone and that experience alone, they're gonna get better because they learned they got their buck kicked this year, you know, at home. So they're gonna get better and now and then you get a chance to coach at Brunson. Brunton is different. Brunton is not the same mentality as a lot of people. He went to gartt That's what Caromelo did. Carmelo went to the Garden when everybody else did not want to go to the Garden. Everybody wanted to follow because of the pressure baron you, dope, you played in New York BD. So for never I think I got that I would have the team. We would be expected to him. Obviously, you're gonna have the staff. It's not gonna just be metal World peace on the bench by itself, like or getting people's d waughter. We all have a dote staff, right and then yeah, well we'll we'll we'll compete and win the title. He's like, we don't have no other build. I only got one. I'm not I'm not speaking like from a Draymond perspective, Like Draymond got full Drake could come a heare and say we're gonna win. For sure, We're gonna win. I'm coming over here saying we are going with I got one. I'm coming on here saying, yeah, we're coming to win the title in New York City.
Speaker 1: And that and for you, that means more to you than just an NBA title because you're from New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been trying to get to I've been trying to get to New York for quite some time. The whole story is different. It's one I have the experience right because I played in the league. I got your champion, Champion, Winnie Rolls did what I had to do. Then part two everywhere up in New York City, from UDC to Millbank to Miniscing to one forty fifth to one nineteenth second to Kingdom, Taruka pieces championships there whole time, he's his MVPs and champion. So I got all. I got this history in New York City. When you combine that together, it's it is a perfect time and the win a title. Now, I'm gonna I'm gonna apologize to a few people. I'm gonna be legendary after this.
Speaker 1: Sorry, so so I asked you this question as someone who's then in the NBA following your footsteps. Well, we don't take bullshit. We're not going for that. We're willing to go to whatever lengths to show you we're not going for that, right right. What do you say to the guy who's like, yeah, but you can't keep your head because.
Speaker 3: You're gonna lose it.
Speaker 1: You You not like when even when I watch you play, you lose that. That's what they say to me.
Speaker 3: What do you say to that guy, which I might call you Dre and say, hey, what do you think?
Speaker 6: But when you're coaching a knucklehead or immature person like Metal or whatever case they be, I think it's it's it's it's connecting, you know.
Speaker 3: It's like I was in a different situation. That's why I love how you play, Dre, because you never put your You never was detrimental to your team. You was detrimental to yourself at times, which is why dem you're gonna see some d ms from you, You're gonna see them. But you was never detrimental to your team. I didn't have that, you know, And I learned a lot from you, by the way, I learned a lot from Stephen Curry, not even to I don't even talk to Stephan but I watched with Ali learned at the end of my career. So you know, for from that perspective, you know you're coaching emotional, right, We all emotional. We got big egos, We got big egos, right, I understand that. And for me, you know, certain things just don't stress me out.
Speaker 1: So so a guy like me playing against your team. You went the Knicks, you the head coach, and I'm out there trying to bully Carl Towns like you not cut.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna take I'm gonna take your thirteenth man off the bitch, and I'm gonna put him in the game. And i'm gonna say, you go fuck with Draymond over there. Out of Draymond, you read in this chest and say something to all. Then I'm gonna give him an io against you, and I don't care if you stop them, if they're you're the charge. I'm gonna make an offensive foul against Jamond. Then the third time down, I'm gonna let him file your glass again.
Speaker 1: But after that, oh ship, then we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna sit there. Now I'm just sitting down on the bench and you gonna talk to all night.
Speaker 1: I guess what, Hey, listen, guess what. Guess what? Guess what? Bed now run our test. Gotta go be the head coach or the New York Knicks. Yeah, that's all cool, that's all fine and dandy. You got that me, But now you gotta go be the head coach of the New York Knicks.
Speaker 3: I think, without putting too much pressure, I'm gonna support the NIXT regardless. Let's say that he didn't pick me, which I don't want that to happen.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that people, even assistant coach, so even assistant coach man starting off somewhere be.
Speaker 3: Don't mention that type of stuff through that.
Speaker 1: Head coachs head coach. He coats to.
Speaker 3: Save DBD for some sage. Be ready, baby, be ready, And youn't want to know something. I know what New York City is like, say we don't win, I'm gonna be the biggest food in New York City. You understand, I don't do I want that. I'm ready for it, but.
Speaker 1: They don't want at your ass, You're gonna walk down the street. What are you gonna do? Well?
Speaker 2: Y'all losing and you walk down the street or somebody's tomato, I'm gonna turn the cheek.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna turn out the cheek. You got to hey, listen, before we move on, I must say this, when I look at the New York k next Sea, I'm just gonna be one hundred percent honest with the ball for you because I got the utmost respect for the both of y'all, and y'all are connected to the the next organization, and so I'm gonna be one hundred percent honest with the both of y'all. I think when I look at that organization, does Tom Thibot'll help you win an NBA championship or not? I don't know. I'm not certain that he does. I'm not certain that he doesn't. But what I am certain of is that the culture of that organization is going to be proper. It's going to be the right way. They're going to go about things the right way. Yeah. So I've watched this team, now, this organization, as someone who knows what it means to win championships, and know what it means to look like championships, and to know what it should look like in order to win it it be a championship. Excuse me, Yeah, I've watched his team. Now, this organization fire a guy who I think is he goes about his business the right way. Will he win a championship for you? I don't know. But what I've watched is this team now go after four or five head coaches and be denied the opportunity to speak to them. And when I see that, I say, hmm. What I do know this team needs is someone who's going to be respected when because see, here's what you gotta understand. For me, as someone who's won four championships in this league, who would turn to your bench and say, oh, y'all, fucking week and your coach suck and I don't believe in y'all because I'll say that to your bench and annihilate your bench and crush your bench, because all of that matters when you're talking about winning a championship. As someone who would say that, I would actually say that now, whereas I think it's different. Is this is just me being keeping it a hundred with both of y'all, because that's how I'm going to keep it. When I take a step back, I look at you, and I say there's no chance I'd ever come to your bitch and say, all you motherfucker's week, I'll beat all y'all. There's no chance y'all can win. There's no chance y'all can beat us. Because when people have never won a championship, they don't understand the value of that thing, which is how important it is that the people that walk past your bitch have respect for your bitch. People don't understand that thing. And so when I look at the next situation, I say me personally, they need someone that commands this respect of a time Tiboteau. They need someone one that commands the respect of the NBA. But they're going to think that with that team that they were really a conference finals team, And I actually think they need someone like you to say.
Speaker 3: Maybe we weren't. Maybe we were.
Speaker 1: But the respect that's going to be had towards our bench is the respect and these that have be had towards the championship. And so my thing would be, what is one of us to do when you're viewed as metal world peace, Run our test the basketball player and not met a world piece. Run our test the guy who's going to command the respect on a bench, that that a bench must have in order to compete at a championship level.
Speaker 3: How do we beat that thing? You mean, how to be accomplished?
Speaker 1: That like, how to be Yeah, I mean for me. And see here's what I said, how do we beat that thing? Because I said that, and this ain't you talking, This is me talking. I said that because I feel like when I say beat that thing, that's also something we're up against in order to pre success. So that's why I said it that way. That's not you speaking, Yes, be speaking. But how do we get past that thing to where me personally, as someone who's gone through this league and won championships, if I see you on a sideline, there's a different respect that I'm gonna have for someone else. How do we shat that thing of like you're a current player, because in our world they use that against us, like you don't know what you're talking about way, But in every other world, if you did that, you're the guy for the job. So how do we beat that thing now?
Speaker 3: And it's true, you know, I feel like and then a lot of the stuff that people worry about too, I don't necessarily worry about. I'm focused on your strategy. What I'm gonna do when I when I get my opportunity, I know, be the alluded to like an assistant coach and Joe role I never I'm actually open to a lot. I'd be an assistant coach. Bro, you mean that coach.
Speaker 2: I'll be the assistant courage I have to call you. Come on, come on, come on, man, I'll be an assistant coach.
Speaker 3: You know how much pressure it is being in New York and this is not like the scarybody's gonna support anybody because of the job. But for me to come out like this and talk about and the fans, you know, some fans already like hell no, I'm going back. I'm like really taking that head on, like I'm not afraid of this moment.
Speaker 1: That bill for it you built for Yeah, you you born to do this, you know it. You You're a great person. You're great with people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you embody, you embody New York basketball, and you embody basketball too. For somebody you know as a superstar all star. Seeing your trajectory from kids and seeing you now like you you've mastered all levels of a player and you've won all you know, You've won at the highest level at a as an integral part of a team where you had to be a thinker, where you had to be an adjuster, where you had to think strategy, where you had to be a disruptor to compliment superstars.
Speaker 1: So you know what a superstar needs.
Speaker 2: You know what a rising star needs, right, you know what a young and upcoming dude who's looking for that motivation or that opportunity, Like you can relate on so many levels because you've played all those different roles in your journey, and I think a lot of that was by choice, right, being a superstar and then decide all right, well I'm gonna go over here and be the ultimate role player and then the work your system like that. So I commend you, bro, if you need an assistant coach from there, Uh, let's go. We're on campaign matter for next coach.
Speaker 1: You got my vote. He Here's the thing you though. Here's the thing that I will say. I don't even think it's a campaign situation. I'll just tell you from what I see and watching, the thing is they had a head coach that requires that, it requires and demands respect, and he's brilliant in what he knows. He is a defensive guru so much so that I'm gonna just keep a g with y'all. I'm sorry if this is the team you're gonna be coaching in two months. But to go to the Conference finals with Jalen Bruston and Carl Towns on the defensive end, I ain't talking about what Jalen Bronson and Carl Towns do and who they are as players. I'm just talking about over the course of an NBA season, Jalen Brunston and Carl Towns are two people over the course of that season that you say.
Speaker 3: We can pick on them.
Speaker 1: To go to the conference finals with two guys that you can pick on, I think that's brilliant because it's so hard to align all the schedules to do this thing, to do that thing, blah blah blah. I actually like that talent. It actually has to align with this time period. Like you can like a talent, but if it don't align with that time period, it actually doesn't work. And so when I take a step back, I look at it and it actually aligns. And so for me, when I take a step back and I look at it, I'm like, Yo, The Knicks requested Jason Kidd, The Knicks requested email you donk The Knicks requested Chris Finch, And I don't give a fuck about the Knicks. How y'all do? So there's one more person, oh that they just recommend it and it didn't matter. Rin Snyder, Yeah, Quinn Snyder right, So they it didn't matter. So when I look at the Knicks and I take a step back, I'm like, Yo, they have to have someone as the coach that is respected amongst the players that they play, but that's also respected amongst the players that they have on their team, or they're going to make a big mistake. And so when I look at it, and I'll be honest with you, when you threw your name in the hat, I'm like, I never knew matter what was going to coach, but I look at their situation. They need someone like you.
Speaker 3: And you know, a lot of people didn't know I was coaching, but some people do. And just on to go on the record, I was trying to coach many times. It's just bad timing. And I can't force someone to put me on their staff. And I can't force someone to, you know, make me to coach at the gle go even WNBA. I was trying everything, but what I get interview? You know, huh, they gotta give you an interview, bro. Yeah yeah, I couldn't even get an interview from all my mind. But what I did do was I was coaching. I wasn't just sitting at home waiting. I was coaching. And you're talking about six am practice. So what time am I up every day? At five am? That's way harder. Nothing, you know, put anybody down, but that's way harder to not get paid as a volunteer coach taking the job serious, you know. And we don't have a budget at Division two basketball. We gotta go on Southwest. I'm on Southwest. Were driving vans and this is specifically, yeah, this one. People don't realize. I saw Charles the other day and I was like, Charles, I need you to advocate for me. Charles said, you don't even coach. I said, Charles, that's not true, man, that's not true. I coach. I coach all the time. Man, I'm coaching every day. I'm on you can catch me on Division two TV.
Speaker 1: You can.
Speaker 3: And actually we played Stanford this year in the Stanford coach in the Division one powerhouse, right, So we played him in the preseason. She was like, this team is very well prepared and that's a video. Now she didn't say our names, but that's our team. And yeah it's it's girls and not guys. But it don't matter because you're coaching. You're trying to get a team to beat another.
Speaker 2: Team, catching basketball, coaching basketball exactly.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 1: I think in order for again, this is just me talking to y'all, and I guess it goes out to the world. But I don't think that's a championship team. But I think in order for that team to compete at that level, they have to have someone like you or it just doesn't work, like it'll never work like you have. In order to compete at the level of conference championships in the NBA, you have to have generational talents. And I think when it comes to that, if you don't have a generational talent, for instance, they any of the Patiers, I don't think they have generational talents. However, when it comes to that, you must have people that are respected at that level. And if you don't have people that are respected at that level and you just have generational talents, they become talents that in ten years, twenty years, we look back from now and we're like, man, that person was supposed to be that good. That person was supposed to be that good. Yeah, And I think if you don't, these people aren't in search of the generational talents. But I will say I think that NIXT team needs someone like you because if they think they're going to geinst someone who's like, I'm exis and old, I'm an X and O guy, we're gonna make this team do that, it's wrong. It don't work. They're not gonna win, gonna lose in the first round. And that's just that. So I pray to God that you can be viewed as what you should be viewed at and as far as this job goes, because we're the only industry in the world that you can have extreme experience as something even more experience than the person that's up against you, and the experience is used against you. So I think the Knicks needs.
Speaker 3: Someone like you.
Speaker 1: I think, when I look at it, someone that I played against that think the game. I don't think players think the game anymore. I just that's just my opinion. But as someone who think the game had to think the game and what shows you how to think the game is you were great at scoring, that's great. That didn't make you become who you became. What made you become who you actually became was taking that back seat and winning the championship. And to see someone do that and know that someone's willing to sacrifice all that they've been in their entire life to do that thing as the person that I want, that I want as my coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate it. Man. I had to throw my name in the hat. I ain't even you know, ruffle any feathers, but you know, you don't get a lot of opportunities in life. And you know what's so crazy about it? I threw my name in the hat. And look wherever we are today. Yep, it's it's, you know, so hopeful, hopefully this thing happens, and I'm gonna be so ready, you know, to perform and confine.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Can I ask you a question that's there, please do? What's that the hell made you change your name from ron Arch testamental world peace? Yo? Oh wait before you answered, Because I as a fan watching the game and sagging all Michigan, I'm like, what the hell? Oh, what the hell made you change your name.
Speaker 3: You know, I needed to evolve your my career as wild Drey. It was just like, couldn't you know when I was playing, my two of my siblings was in a psychle world, Right, So you can't There's nothing you could do. I could control everything else right in life, I can help people, but I can't get my siblings off medication. Right, So that's one. Then you when you pallel on like not being able to you know, I didn't necessarily have the skill set to raise family. Now I had my first child at sixteen, right, So so then now you enter in the league as a father. You know, I was, I was a fuck, you know literally at nineteen years old, and so I didn't know how to navigate that. And then another thing was the alcohol. Like when I was drinking, I didn't realize how much of a depressident it was. So when you got all that stress of things going on, if you don't understand the alcohols are depressant and you got a motor it just works against you.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: So then at some point, you know, as I when I had when I stopped drinking, because I did for a long time in my career, not a simple alcohol. And when I stopped and I reflected, I'm like, damn, kind of embarrassing, you know. I was like, Dad, that's kind of weird thing, you know what I mean, Like a lot of stuff that was happening. So I was trying to evolve and move forward because everything's already out there. But I know, I knew where I wanted to go in my life. So I said, you know, I'm gonna change my name. I'm gonna do my thing because I got to block out everybody because you know, you know, from from my perspective, like people were things just coming from everywhere, media, fans all the time, all the time online and everything. But I needed to really focus to get here where I'm at today. So I think the name can it was a point to me.
Speaker 1: So now today you go uh Ron our tests center for it. No.
Speaker 3: No, So I kept met at my wife. Her name is Sandy For. So when I got married, I changed my last name to her last name, so I was meta world Peace, but it's meta sandafor And she took our tests so it's met a standoford Our tests. So that's the only reason why that exists, because you know, she demanded that I changed my name to her.
Speaker 2: Last give her a defensive player in the year. You gotta tell me she get defensive player.
Speaker 1: A lot? You got a lot? Yeah, man, that's some. That's some lockdown B faced to.
Speaker 3: Feel a medici?
Speaker 1: What time out doing?
Speaker 3: Runs?
Speaker 1: You again? Haven't the mental that we know, which is like, I'm a dog, I'll destroy you. How you just side how you decided that that was gonna be the thing, because it's total opposite of the way we know, right, like the woman take the man last name? All right, Like that's total opposite of.
Speaker 3: What we know. Yeah, come on, you got that. We was in the courtroom and and I was like, ain't no way. I'm a man. I never made my name to your last name. I said, I ain't doing anything in the courtroom. And then you know, she's like, no, you're gonna do it. No, I Hey, I'm a I'm men who world Peace. I said, all right, I'll change your dogs. I'm signing the paper like this is some BS. But it was worth it, man, she was worth it. That's too funny. Like my stage name is Metiworld Peace. I'll be telling people you'll please call me medi world Peace. You know the other name is like, you know, it's it's good. But MENI world Piece is my name, my stage name.
Speaker 1: So what is your actual name today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's we we shared last name and metal. Her last name is Santa for last ur test to be brought back ar test, medicine ford our tests. That's that's my Yeah, that's that's what I changed it to when I got married.
Speaker 1: By the way, just so well clear. Only you could do that and get away with it. No one can get away with that.
Speaker 3: Wait when you when you put medicine befod our test. I text my people, I say, okay, you have Dreymond and change it back to metal world Peace set a stage name out there. I'm yeah, but it was you know it was worth it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Actually, my daughter did the same thing when she got married. She kept art testing. He trying to get her husband. Husband's like, nah, I'm keeping my last man. You can keep your onself a little bit more of a man than me. That's fire man. Listen.
Speaker 1: I'm so learned something. I'm so thankful and I know BD I speak for the both of us, but I'm gonna speak for myself. I'm so thankful for you coming on this show because I personally, and BD is going to speak on spl but I personally, I don't respect people because you played in the NBA like that. That that just don't work for me. And I know people judge me for that. People are like, Oh, that's a legend, you should do this. That that that just don't work for me. My mom taught me people earned respect, and the people that have earned respect from me, they earn my respect. And that's just whether the rest of the world respects you or think about you in the same way I think about you has absolutely nothing to do with me. I can only speak for myself. And when I tell you you coming on this show and speaking the way you spoke and being who you being and not being afraid to say what you wanted to say is so uplifting to me because I feel like that's how I've gone about my whole career and to know that I could still be in the position to be the knixt head coach and just being Draymond Green by watching you run our test, just be run our test and be in position and the best candidate to be the head coach of the Knicks because you've done it, you've studied it, you've lived it. You're not afraid to tell a guy you did this wrong, because we see that all the time in the NBA, where someone don't want to lose their job. They protect their job and won't tell that guy you did something wrong. When I take a step back and I look at that and to have this conversation with you, I'm so extremely thankful for you coming on the show, for you having this time with us, and I just want these people to know, by the way, we can talk so much more basketball, but b D and I was just so much more interested in the person. So we can do that any day. But I'm so thankful for you coming on the show. I appreciate you. I think you should be the next head coach because they're gonna hire someone that they think is a coach and they gonna lose. So I'm just throwing it out there. Appreciate you coming on the show.
Speaker 2: Brother my life. Man, we got me and the dude, we got, we got drafted together. We was in the McDonald's All American together. We was in a Nike camp together, Woston shoot Out, first All Star Gaming. Go yeah, come on USA team together.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: You know you know how I feel about you, Rogers, what I look up to you. I love your journey. I'm glad I've been a part of your journey. I'm glad I get to be an up close fan of your journey. And more importantly, I'm just a fan of what you've done after your career right to see you, you know, continue to evolve into the businessman. You are now the coach. The basketball mine has always been there. Now you claiming and going after coaching. I just fully support you, man, because everything you do you put your heart and soul into it and it turns out great.
Speaker 1: And you are you are basketball right.
Speaker 2: You are the passion, you are the heart, You on the internet intellect, and I'm just thankfully for you to be on the show.
Speaker 1: I'll probably see you next week. Anyway, you've been dodging me.
Speaker 2: You've been dodging me lately, bro, even doing it boy, and now you tell me living Indiana, So I'm like, yeah, usually my dog come around the finals.
Speaker 1: We have our little.
Speaker 3: Finals party and you at the carib you have the Finals house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm at the Finals House.
Speaker 3: Did you been at that already?
Speaker 1: I have ye, Jake, Jake did y at the studio. I've been in the studio off for the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, threat on, I love that man. You just innovative that you've been inspiring us. Also on the business side of the entrepreneurship side, you know what I mean. And to see like what y'all doing and dream I've been watching you. I actually reached out to you playing time you just see your deals, but just watching how you you know, because I need to learn too. You know, we retired, we bet some players be like lost. We've seen this happen the players many times all the time, you know, Glen little bit my boy or a big baby like it's not a good look. And we got to be supportive. And I was not afraid to look up to you guys.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I wasn't afraid to watch le Bron, somebody that competed against to watch you how you how you how you're a win? It taught me how to be a winner. You understand the timeline we retire. We don't have a skill set. How did I get a skill set? Well, I look at people like you or Stephan Carey and Lebron and then talking to Beatie, going to Bed's office and asking questions. I don't care if I say I'm done, But you guys taught me so much, especially that worried team, just watching how y'all connect, you know, and watching how y'all play together, because I didn't have that concept even when I was Indiana. It was more of a selfish thing and I just didn't have the concept.
Speaker 1: That y'all had.
Speaker 3: But I was able to get it at the end. Even though it was a little too late for that Indiana team, but it wasn't too late for this new team in life, you know what I mean. So I appreciate you, like you know, and it's don't sweat to stephf at all. But you know, I learned. I watched the game because that's the only record point we have. We don't have a business background. All we can do is watch the game, and I can go from what I've learned. But when I watch people perfect the game, I can watch that and add that to my life and add it to my business and how I want to move forward. So and then to see that evolved to restaurant and all this stuff, I'm like, I'm so happy to see that. And you know, thanks for the compliment and thanks for having million show. Brother.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you more than you know, man, I tell you again and again, I just don't respect people because they played in the NBA, Like some people just have talent and they get to the n b A. But that's the most so thankful, by the way, to the rest of y'all out there, we appreciate y'all. I'm honored to be with two legends. That's a rap from this episode of The Draymond Green Show with the legend Baron Davis, the legend Metal World. Peace until next time. That's a rap. Well, the volume