Speaker 1: With its devastating hurricane season that we have faced and still waiting to see what the impact of Hurricane Milton will be here in Florida. What it's really demonstrated to us is that leadership matters. Who we vote into office matters. You can just look at Governor DeSantis' response here in Florida versus that of Mary Cooper in North Carolina, a Democrat governor or. You look at the failed response from the federal government to Hurricane Helen, waiting days to activate the military, which is what Joe Biden did. And then you look at as we wait for Hurricane Milton to hit, just the infighting between Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, Kamala Harris saying, oh, I called Governor DeSantis, he didn't pick up the phone. And then you've got Joe Biden saying, well, actually, you know, I've been on the phone with Governor de Santis. He's doing everything he needs to do. I gave him my personal number. It's chaos with Democrats and their response. Then you've got second Harry Mayorkas saying that, oh, FEMA is running out of money, that they're not going to have the funds to take us through a hurricane season, and then you see these reports of FEMA spending all this money on the migrant crisis. So I guess what this is underscore to me is how much leadership matters and why it's important to make sure that we elect the right people, particularly as we head towards election season. So we're going to talk to someone who has seen the devastation in North Carolina firsthand, who has witnessed response efforts, who can really speak to the truth of what's actually going on there. He is a marine, Julio Rosas you know him. He is a reporter, a national correspondent for The Blaze. He has been on the ground during the George Floyd riots, He's been on the ground during hurricane relief efforts. He's actually in Tampa right now as we wait for Hurricane Milton.
Speaker 2: So we're going to.
Speaker 1: Get his take on what's actually happening, what should we know about the government's response, and what should you know as Milton barrels down towards Florida. Stay tuned for Julio Rosas. But first I want to tell you a little bit about IFDJ October seventh was the one year mark of the worst massacre of the Jewish people since the Holocaust. Twelve hundred Israelis were murdered and more than two hundred and fifty taken hostage. The word Israel rages on today. Israel and the Jewish people are facing attacks from enemies on all sides seeking Israel's destruction. The International Fellowship of Christians and Jews is on the ground providing food, shelter, and safety to those in need during this crisis. Since the war started, there were reservists everyday Israeli citizens who have left families behind to serve their country, soldiers who have been injured, and their families need support. Your gift of one hundred and fifty dollars today helps the Fellowship provide food and other necessities to these families to help them survive, and thanks to a generous Fellowship supporter, your gift will be matched to double its impact. Join us in letting those families know that listeners like you stand with Israel. Call to make your one hundred and fifty dollars gift right now at eight eight eight or eight eight IFCJ that's eight eight eight eight eight or three two five, or you can go online to support if CJ dot org to give. That's one word support if CJ dot org. Well, Leo, it's great to have you on this show. We were just talking about how you're gonna be going out here. You know, obviously we're awaiting for Hurricane Milton to come through as Floridians, and you're going to be out you know, sort of looking at the disaster relief efforts and being out there. Most people run away from this stuff, but you run towards it, but you do important work and doing so Yeah, I mean this is I mean, especially what we saw in the afromaticalleen for not just supported but North Carolina.
Speaker 2: It's it's important because it was because the people on the ground in North Carolina getting the word out saying, hey, people are cut off, they need help. Now, that's how the civilians were able to organize themselves and just run their own supply runs, their rescue operations for days before the federal government really came into came into the area in force. And even still, i mean almost you know, more than a week later, the federal government response is still lacking. And that's that's that's just concerning obviously, But you know, I don't have the same concerns with here in Florida just because of how well the state is run when it comes to the deak for response. But I mean, this is this is the post to be you know, once in a lifetime of hurricane for for the Gulf Coast. It looks like it's going to hit more closer or more south of Tampa Bay than initially projected, but it you know, the Tampa Bay area is still expecting to get hit pretty hard, which really does speak to you how important leadership is. You know, you had mentioned that, you know, here in Florida, we know that Governor DeSantis, you know, obviously he can't control the hurricane and the impact the hurricane has, but he certainly can control the response to it. And you know, we know that he's got it covered.
Speaker 1: We know that, you know, he's going to respond in the best way that is possible for anyone in political office. But that really hasn't seemed to be the case in North Carolina, and it certainly hasn't been the scene or it hasn't seemed to be the case with the federal government's response and helping there. I guess take us through because you know, one is the media telling the full story about what's really happening in North Carolina and some of these devastated communities. You know, I know you've been there, You've been on the ground. You know you did it, ride around with Rep. Quorry Mills. I guess, take us through, like what did you see? You know, how bad is it? You know, take us through what's happening there on the ground for so many of these people who are still missing, you know, still missing and still you know, desperately in need of help.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So I was able to go on these flights from both an airplane and helicopters with Commerce Courtmills of Florida, uh and also Mercury One, which is Glenn Beck's disaster relief organization, And it was very It's very interesting to see because obviously the reason why the response to Hurricane Hilling up in the mountains is a lot different is because it's up in the mountains, right, And so it is without exaggeration when when I say that it wasn't just you know, there was you know, a road was washed out in one part here, in another part here, and another part here. I'm talking the entire length of the road was just gone. And these are the only roads that are able to connect these these these little smaller towns and localities. And so when it's when it's not just yeah, there's a giant pothole, but it goes on for miles. Obviously, that presents challenges for yes, that the ad and the personnel from the federal government can be in Ashville, and Ashville has been stabilized for for quite some time now. It's a matter of then gantting those people and those resources into those smaller places that are hard to get to. And that's why, that's why the media has been misleading when they just said, well, no, no, the federal government is there. I mean, look look at all the things that they were able to bring in. And that's true, but again it needs to get to more places than just Ashville or Boom. He needs to go to places like Road River, you know, Pensacola and just all these like little places that have like a thousand and a thousand, five hundred people. And that's been the big frustration is that the civilians and the veterans and the locals and volunteers are coming up from our state. They were running these operations for days before FEMA really started to show up, and so that's why there was frustration when then obviously FEMA has their way of running things, and they're trying to take over these these basically these out and these supply missions and rescue missions, but there's a bureaucracy, there's a rect tape that goes along with it, because obviously it's the federal government. That's why there was anger because people were saying, well, one, what took you so long to get here? But then two, how dare you tell us how to do things when we're running things pretty smoothly now, you know, it's almost to the point where it's like, we don't even need you guys to be able to do this. Now, that's not to say that every little bit doesn't help, but the way that FEMA and the federal government has has gone about North Carolina and those in it nearly forgotten places, that that anger and that frustration is certainly well placed front of those guys. I'm not kidding when I tell you that veterans literally just they they took over with the owner's permission, the Harley Davidson Dealership and it's basically like a forward operating base where you have basically the Ethical Operations Center. You have the airfield, impromptu airfield where the hell cut to fly in, they have to supply trucks and the ATVs and UTVs going in and out. I mean it was obviously, yeah, it was. It was kind of chaotic and a lot was happening, but there was a flow to it. I mean, there was there was a process, and I mean all the veterans were armed. I mean, it was just it was just it was it was cool to see. I mean, like this is what in private sistance. Yeah, yeah, like like the this is what America is at its best right. It's where, Okay, we have a problem. Obviously, it'd be great if the government can help us, but in the meantime, we're going to take care of it ourselves the best of our ability, and we're not going to let these people just be shrended for days and weeks on end without any help. We've got more with Julio.
Speaker 1: But first, every twenty six seconds, violet crime takes place in the United States, and rising crime threatens families. That's why the Saber Pepper projectile launchers should be your first choice. It it's the only sixty eight caliber launcher with a seven projectile capacity, offering up to forty percent more shots than the other brands for superior home defense. For nearly fifty years, Saber has been dedicated to making the world safer. Trusted by law enforcement and millions of families, Saber provides powerful, non lethal protection both at home and on the go. For extra peace of mind, Saber pepper sprays are ideal for on the ghost safety, and Saber's door bars walk up to six hundred and fifty pounds of force to keep intruders out. Visit Saber radio dot com or called eight four four eight two four safe to protect your family today. That's s A b r E Radio dot com. And So for some of these people who are still stranded, I mean, what's the access to them. I've seen you know, you know via horseback, you know, writing via you know. I guess how I guess how difficult is it to access some of these people who are still stranded.
Speaker 2: It's it's pretty difficult. I mean, even even by helicopter. I mean, we were in a we were in a decent sized helicopter. Wasn't it wasn't as big as a black Hawk or anything. But it also it also wasn't like a two sier, right, it was kind of somewhere kind of in between that. And there were times where it was kind of difficult to find a good landing place because obviously not do you not do you just have like the regular you know, valleys and trees, But obviously now there's a debris, there's down power lines, there's there's down trees and branches that can make a landing spot kind of difficult. And so obviously the helicopter is the fastest way to kind of get to these places. But sometimes, depending on where these people are, the only way to get to get to them still is only on foot or orseback or mules or or something, and obviously that takes a lot longer. So, I mean, when we were in Pensacola, uh, North Carolina, the Chief Medical Office or just just told us basically that we're going to be digging ourselves out of this mess for months. And that's kind of a problem because we're in October right being here with Florida, it doesn't really feel that way. But the first time when we landed in Pensacola, they it was it was sun was setting and it was about sixty two degrees sixty degrees and that felt pretty cold for obviously, and they were telling us that they're pretty good on food, they're pretty good on water. What they need the most at that point is generators, fuel for the generators, chain saws, tools, and replacement parts for those chainsaws and everything, because it's gonna get cold, like it's going to get actually pretty cold there with it, you know, by by the middle of October, and so they have no power and that obviously presents a problem for for when it comes to cold weather challenges. So you know, everyone's doing the best that they can given the circumstances, but it was just devastating. I mean, it's a beautiful area. I mean, I understand why people want to live out there. I understand why people want to spend time out there. But the downside to that, unfortunately, is that they are now cut off.
Speaker 1: Why do you think it took the federal government so long to respond? I mean, it took days for the government for Biden to activate the military. And then you have Secretary my Erica is coming out and saying that FEMA is not going to have the money to take us through this hurricane season. And there's been a lot of questions about how FEMA has spent money, you know, accusations that they've spent more than one point four billion since the fall twenty two to address migrant crisis. You know, I guess why do you think it's it took so long for the government to respond. And then you know, I guess, sort of what do you make of my Erica's statement saying that, know, hey, like you're basically out of luck, females running out of money.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just it's just what we've come to expect from the Biden Harris administration. I mean, it just they take any problem that they are presented with and they just find ways to make it ten times worse. Right, And and that's typical of government just in general, right, the federal government. But when you when you have incompetent people in charge, because i mean, first of all, Biden is not even really in charge at this point. I mean, like, yes, he has the title of president, so that's a problem. And you know, Harris is kind of trying to be like the quasi. So it's just there's just this function, right, There's just and it's just a complete opposite of what we saw in the truck administration. I mean, for all the chaos that the media like to make out during his during his turn, he was the guy in charge for the most part, right, I mean like he like no one really questions his his his his command of the office. Whereas with Biden and Harris and this weird thing that they have now and it seems like they both hate each other with what they're doing. That's just a problem. That's that's the wrong way to run a government, and it's especially the wrong way to handle a government in a crisis situation. So you know there, so that's problem number one. But then also number two, I think it's just it just highlights how yeah, the spending priorities and I mean since since the border crisis, and that is not even really a border crisis, it's just a general immigration crisis for the entire country. I mean yeah, I mean it is a problem when the federal government has no problem finding the money to be able to spend literally billions of dollars on people that aren't US citizens, and yet when it comes to disaster relief, it's all, well, this is the funds and this is it, and if we need more funds, then we got to call back Congress and they got to vote and do it. It's just like it's like, well, you guys are able to kind of enagle for some other things, but when it comes to the mountain people of western North Carolina, there's all these all of a sudden, they're like, no, we gotta we got to make sure we follow procedure on that. I mean. So it's and it's not even just that, but it's also all the money that we're spending overseas and all how easy it is for the Biden Hereris administration to go ahead and do that as opposed to you know, well now their their hands are tied behind their back when it comes to zassinally. So it's just I just come back to it. It's just typical. It's expected of the people that are currently in charge. And again we don't even really know who that is. And you know, hopefully things turn around after this election, but the people in North Carolina can't wait that long.
Speaker 1: Right, We've got more in all this, but first, in today's world are rising crime threatens families. Violent crimes are now taking place every twenty six seconds. The Saber Pepper projectile launcher is the only sixty caliber launcher with the seven projectile capacity are fring up to forty percent more shots than the other brands for superior home defense with stopping power up to one hundred and seven ft. Having more projectiles is crucial to protect your family. For nearly fifty years, Saber has been dedicated to making the world safer. Trusted by law enforcement and millions of families, Saber provides powerful, non lethal protection both at home and on the go. For extra peace of mind, Sabers pepper sprays are ideal for on the ghost safety and Sabers door bars block up to six hundred and fifty pounds of force to keep intruders out. Is it Saber radio dot com or call eight four four eight two four safe to protect your family. That's s a bre radio dot Com.
Speaker 2: You know what's interesting because you have those.
Speaker 1: Comments from David Axelrod, which I'm sure you've seen, kind of finding joy and the fact that some of these areas in western North Carolina that vote Trump might not be able to vote Trump. And then you know, speculating that people in Nashville, you know, their quote unquote upscale and liberal voters, and that they're going to be able to find ways to cast ballots, but basically just finding glee that some of these Trump supporters and rural storm impacted areas might not build a vote and that might impact Donald Trump electorally. To be completely cynical, is there any way that sort of the lack of response from North Carolina and the Democratic governor there, and the lack of response from the federal government, which is obviously, you know, currently occupied by Democrats, is any of it political?
Speaker 2: Do you think?
Speaker 1: In the slowness and the mismanagement and sort of the lack of care and attention.
Speaker 2: To some of these areas. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, this administration has shown time and again they don't they hate the American people, and obviously they come supporters, and so I won't be surprised if that that's the motivation behind you. And that's a sad thing to kind of think about, you know, And that's a that's a sad thing of kind of like what the nation has kind of come to. Well, you just gotta look at a track record when it comes to other things, right, I mean the Afghanistan with drawl, I mean that that was a total mess and American citizens were left behind, American citizens were killed. Ser wars men were killed in that, and again that was because of just the complete lack of direction in a crisis situation from from on the Biden Harris administration. And so it's it's unfortunate that that conversation needs to be brought up. And they say, well, actually, you know, if it hit you know, if if there was a devastation in some of the more liberal areas in North Carolina, and you know, they probably wouldn't they wouldn't be as up up a river without a paddle as opposed to now, I think, I think that's just sad. But I will also say, and that was kind of what I was saying earlier. This is is much more difficult than say a disaster response in Florida where thing's flat. But that but so like, for example, when Biden came to visit on the last Tuesday, I believe it was last Tuesday, he was he was promising beforehand, he was promising that my visit will not interrupt rescue operations, it will not interrupt supply missions. Like this is just I just want to go down there see for myself and not interrupt anything that's going on. That sounded great, but that's not what happened because because he's the president, there's there was a no fly zone over in a thirty mile radius over you know, Asheville, and it didn't it didn't move too as he was moving because he flew over. That's a problem because again, the only way to get things, especially especially last week, the only way to get things was by helicopter, and our flight crew was grounded for two and a half hours. We did a supply mission out side of the radius, and then we had to sit for hours, you know, when time is of the essence, and so it's just like why He's like, yes, it's it's important for the leader to be engaged. It's important for the president to show show that he is looking after the situation. But even his attempt to do that just screw it over those people. I mean, it's it's so ridiculous. So there's there's there's no there's no forethought, there's no there's no forward planning when it comes to something as simple as a visit. Right, so when it comes to restoring these entire towns from scratch, almost that they're not they're not the bust and brightest clearly.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's also just shown for the contrast in my opinion of like Republican leadership versus Democrat leadership, because you know, you look at the way that Governor DeSantis is just like anytime any of these disastrous hit he is already pre prepared.
Speaker 2: He is all over it, like you know, they're.
Speaker 1: Restoring power and like record time, like rebuilding in record time, or even you know, you look at the way Donald Trump, as you mentioned, you know, got a lot of criticism, but he was all over this stuff. You know, he was the leader, like we knew he was in charge. We knew that, you know, the government was gonna respond, we you know. And then you look at Mary Cooper Democrat governor. You know a lot of accusations of failure in response to this, or you look at off basically the Biden administration just taking days to be on the job and to even respond. It's like and then mismanagement of FEMA money. You know, it's like it's like, it's just it's such a contrast, in my opinion, between the way that Republicans lead and the way that Democrats lead. And then you look at now with as we wait for Milton. You had references earlier. But Kamala Harris trying to say that like she called Governor DeSantis, he like ignored her call, and somehow he's making it political. And then you look at Joe Biden's response to his credit saying that no, actually, you know, the governor Florida has been cooperative. He's gotten all these neat he's needed. I've spoken to him. I gave my personal number, Like basically he's all over it, which you know, I guess sort of one speaks to maybe they hated and then you know too just you know, chaos within the right administration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Dempson didn't disarray that that that that rule is always true. Yeah, no, exactly, And I mean I I was up at the State Emergency Operations Center up in Tallahassee for you know, the h before I came down to Tampa. And look, obviously government is still government. But you're right, it doesn't matter who's in charge. It matters their experience and how they handle the pressures. I even asked the Santas so just I just said, are you can't even sleep because of it? Obviously you were working around the clock with Balen and then afterwards and then now you got to work around the clock again. And you know, he seemed, you know, and he's like, yeah, you just gotta find time. You just gotta find time for it. But you know where we are, We are all in emergency mode and that's what the job requires right now, and that's and we're gonna do that. I mean, can you? I mean, I mean Biden's been asleep at the wheel for half of his presidency and the results have shown that, right. I mean, it's obvious, like we all know this and we're and we're still kind of acting like he has a grasp of what he's facing on a daily basis. And also obviously it is it is helpful that with a state like Florida they are better prepared. But I'll even give you an example when I covered Hurricane Nadalia last year. That was a pretty strong storm and it did hit a vastly less populated area than what Milton is supposed to hit for for this week. But even the locals, they would say, yeah, we you know, ten fifteen years ago, we would be expecting to be without be without power for two, three four weeks. And now you know, since the sandis has been in charge. We can get it back within two to three days, which is obviously, you know, a big difference when it comes to something as simple as power, right, So.
Speaker 1: And also like saving lives you know as well of just you know, saving lives because you know, people die when they don't have power, especially in this heat. And you know the rest of it, it comes with it food, but.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's why and that's why I'll be with the ORDA Efficient Wildlife Commission, uh starting tonight and then as soon as it's safe to go out and try to you know, make sure everything's you know, okay, and and when you tell, we're going to be out there as soon as it's safe to do so, right, And so that could be I think Milton as of now, as this recording is supposed to hit around midnight. And so the good news is it's it's supposed to be a pretty fast hurricane, so it shouldn't linger around too long in the state in general. So that's kind of a good thing because obviously not only does that mean that rescue operations can start as soon as possible, but also the there's less less time for the rain to accumulate for their inland. But even but even still, I mean this, Orlando's supposed to get hit pretty hard by this, which is stark because I mean Orlando's in the middle of the state. Usually when storms get there, it's usually gets down rated pretty heavily to like a tropical storm or tropical depression. But apparently out with this one.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm Leo, we appreciate. So you're in Tampa right now, so I mean you're you're in the the midst of it, and no place I'd rather do right now. We and I know you've got to go hunker down. Well, we're praying for you. We appreciate everything you do. You do such a good job obviously, you know, being there on the ground and whether it's after the George Floyd riots or or you know, wherever the chaos is and and really just giving us the news and letting us know what's going on. So praying for you and your safety as well as obviously the rest of our fellow Filoridians. And thank you for making the time and please be safe.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thank you so much. Happy to talk.
Speaker 1: That was Folio Rosas. He is the national correspondent for The Blaze. He's also the author of fiery but mostly peaceful. A marine who served our country, who's still, you know, running into the chaos to bring us the news and to let us know what's going on in the ground. So we appreciate him for joining the show. Appreciate you guys at home for listening every Monday and Thursday, but you can listen throughout the week. I want to thank John Cassio, my producer, for putting the show together.
Speaker 2: Until next time,