Speaker 1: Well, hi everybody, and welcome to their Nice Stubs Tennis podcast. We are in the thick of hardcourt season, Caitlin.
Speaker 2: It's been an exciting few weeks, and I mean a few weeks.
Speaker 1: Because I feel like, don't you feel like the US swing has already it's already feels too long in some respects.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's weird.
Speaker 3: Right, I think it's weird because there are so many hard court swings in the tennis season. If you think about it, there's one that starts really at the end of December where people go to the Middle East, some of them go all the way down to OZ and New Zealand. Then we have the Middle East, Australasia part of things. Hong Kong has a tournament. There's a whole bunch of stuff that's happening on hard courts at the end of slash beginning of the year. Then obviously we go to clay, then we go to grass, then we come back and it's just sort of a if you count the Miami Indian Well Sunshine Double, it's a really interesting bookend Asia's hard courts and everything that happens up until basically June or May and June and July are hard courts. So yeah, for me, it is a prevailing theme because I have a feeling we're going to touch on it, which is the season is too long, just full stop. The season is too long, and we are never more aware of it than in recent years as the game has become the most physical it possibly can be, as climate change has made some of the conditions that we're seeing right now in Cincinnati, for example, with rainouts and just length of time that these tournaments have to get extended. We're going to start by talking about Canada, which was also affected by a lot of the rain. So yeah, it's just that the season is too long, and obviously it's something that we structurally keep coming back to because it isn't changing. It seems to me that if I'm in charge of tennis, which nobody really is, but everybody really is, so many people which will never be sadly, which if Tennis knows it's good for it, it'll put me in charge. It's an ever present problem, and I think right now we are seeing all of the effects of it, which is it's three quarters the way through this season. Everyone's dead, bloodied, buried, injured or otherwise hobbling, if not mentally vacant. And it's too bad because we have amazing tournaments, amazing players, and amazing stuff still left on the calendar, not least which is the fourth and final Grand Slam of the year. So yeah, it's the season's too long. The hard court season is too long. Everything's too long. And what suffers is the product, which is on behalf of the players the best it's ever been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say the product suffers, but more importantly, the players are suffering. And so one of the things that I wanted to touch on because we hadn't obviously because the whole tournament schedule is so out of whack with these ten days, nine day events, is that I was thinking to myself when egershyon Tech and Ribarkina played in the final, I was thinking, hold on a second, you guys had ten days right to finish this event, and yet, and yet a player plays a semi final and finishes at one o'clock in the morning and then has to come back the next day and play at six pm. I do not understand how a sport can make one person suffer a lot more than the other.
Speaker 2: And it's supposed to be equal. That is not fair.
Speaker 1: That is not fair, whether it was Rebarkina or whether it was Eagerson Tech that won that second semifinal. Why are you starting at seven pm plus when you have all fucking day.
Speaker 2: To play a tennis match?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Do you want to play, you know, in the evening because people can come after work or it's an little bit nicer of experience and all that sort of. Yeah, okay, but is Canada going to sell out in the day? Hell ya, Canada will sell out in the day. And if you're supposed to be playing on Saturday or Sunday for a semi and a final, which is traditionally what we do in tennis, why the fuck are we playing matches now?
Speaker 2: Granted it was pushed back an hour ish because of.
Speaker 1: Rain, but you have to also remember, when you're doing a schedule in summer in the United States or in Canada, you are going to get afternoon rain more than likely, or you're going to get a whole entire day of rain, which we did in Washington. We had to finish on Monday, so it's like you've got ten days to finish an event, but yet you crammed in two matches in this less than twenty four hours and somebody suffered. Now, Igerschiontek played incredible tennis, and I don't want to take anything away from her.
Speaker 2: It's so great to see her back at her best.
Speaker 1: It is so great to see how she played against Rebuking in that final. But was Rebukkina at her very best in that final? I would argue, no, now why was shouldn't you? Oh, I don't know. She went to bed at like I would guarantee you Caitlin finishing a match at one pm, which is when she finished, she shook hands at approximately one am. She did not go to bed, like I'm talking, sleep until three thirty four o'clock in the morning. And you expect that girl to get up when when is she what's the circadian rhythm of her sleep?
Speaker 2: Now, what's the rhythm of her practice? How does she feel? You know?
Speaker 1: And I mean okay, Eger probably finished and went to bed around midnight, maybe, which is still not ideal for a tennis player to wake up and play a match the next day at six pm. But I'll take that over four in the morning going to sleep. I guarantee you that's when she fell asleep. If even then, that is just okay.
Speaker 3: Brought up the circadian rhythms like a real science nerd. I love it, and you're absolutely right, it's not okay. And it's also so clearly problematic and unevenly distributed.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's punishing people when it should be rewarding them. And I think one of the things about these two week Masters one thousands that the ATP, who seemed to have spear petted the creation or the extension of these tournaments, were so clear in articulating when it was announced is that it was going to give players more rest and they would be they would be less taxed on their body because during the tournament they would have more time off between matches and a less brutal schedule. And once again that has been proven false.
Speaker 1: Yes, and for those listeners out there, yes, that was meet laughing out loud at the fact that that's how they think of this. I mean, I start to wonder and think that people that put the events on, people that run the tournaments, people that run the WTAAP have no idea what it takes.
Speaker 2: To be a professional tennis player at their best, which.
Speaker 3: Is ironic because I feel like, at least on the ATP side. There are a number of former players who make up the leadership of these governing bodies, and so you'd think that they would relate to the player's anguish that they are being put through. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. Maybe that's not true. At the WTA, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do they sit with the tournaments and think, Okay, guys, this is how we're going to do it. We're gonna have this long arduous, laid out tournament. We're gonna have players have days off, and then when it gets to the semi finals and finals day, we don't give a fuck about resting the players or giving or having them be at their best. You know, when I saw this happen and then the rain pushed it back, I was like, Okay, that's bad, But.
Speaker 2: I would have been bad anyway. She would have finished at midnight. Is that any better?
Speaker 1: And then she would have gone to sleep at like two o'clock in the morning, you know, or two thirty in the morning.
Speaker 2: Is that ideal?
Speaker 3: So what's the solution here?
Speaker 2: Start the fucking match in the day.
Speaker 1: Start the match in the day, let them finish at six pm and have an entire nice evening of dinner. This is what I'm talking about, the circadian rhythm of like somebody, right, I bet Ribackina when she woke up or whenever she woke up, felt sick. And for those of you listening out there, I'm sure plenty of you have gone and traveled and and had jet lag. I bet you she felt like she had jet lag when she walked on that court, yes, you know, And she walked on the court in the daytime, so the sun is out just probably like her brain is.
Speaker 2: Probably like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: And keep in mind, guys, she's not just walking on the court to play a final at six pm or whenever it was. She's practicing at probably three point thirty or four. So think about going to bed at four in the morning, like falling asleep at four in the morning, getting up at whatever ten or eleven am, which is not normal, and then going and trying like drag yourself to go on practice and then get yourself up for the match. And if you watch the match, there were so many like quite easy balls that she missed, and she struggled through the week, but she found a way every single match. She found away. Rebeckin Ha found a way through every single match against Coco. She lost a lot of first sets. She won in three sets. There is no way playing Eager Schirantech at her best, which she was, she had a chance and the score line proves it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: If she had lost six the third I would have been like, man, kudos and what a great match. But if you look at the score line and you look at the amount of times Rabakina has beaten Egistian Tech, particularly on hardcore, you just go, huh, what was off? And again, I do not want to take away from Ega because she played fabulous tennis, but you have to think, how can that or not affect her.
Speaker 3: Let's back up. The last time we spoke, Coco Goff was still in the draw, Benchech was still in the dra, Osaka was still in the draw, Spindelina was still in the dra. And what we had between the time we last spoke and this finals that you were returning to were a lot of very good matches and in fact very good. The player field in my view in Toronto got the two best players of the tournament. Rbakna came into that having beaten, as you noted, Coco Goff over a masterful three set performance. The round before, she had beaten a very inform, dangerous Naomi Osaka, another master performance, and Egostiantec played to me what was probably the match of the tournament in the semifinals to beat Alnas Fidelina with a absolute conviction in a third set after kind of getting blanked in the second. Obviously she got a game, but she was the recipient of a breadstick in the second set. Elenas Fidelina played phenomenal tennis and Niga did incredible depth digging to find a way to win that match. So to me, I was really looking forward to this final because I felt looking at the matches that had led up to it, how resilient both Rebacchina and schfian Tech had been in getting to the final, how great the matchups were, and how really women's tennis really proved itself again as just being an embarrassment of riches. There were so many good players left in this draw. There were so many good matches leading into the final, and frankly, I think we really deserved a good final. Egos Fiantec deserved to win the turn. As you're saying, no doubt she played phenomenal. She is back. I'm very excited about it. She's playing the kind of tennis that we saw from her. Honestly, it's been a couple of years that we've seen her play this confidently in this decisively that said, we deserved a better final and rebarkiing it deserved a better schedule, so she could have put up a better fight even if you go would have won anyway. To me, that was the story of Toronto, which is the tournament itself was great, the last match was not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, have the semifinals in the daytime and allow the both players to have enough rest time to play at night.
Speaker 2: In the of you play at night, then you have the Marqui match.
Speaker 1: You know certain hours of the evening that it's best for everybody, TV, whatever it is, spectators players, But play the semi finals in the daytime and allow them to get the rest they need to play their best and most important match of the week and they deserve that. And to finish a match at one am in the morning, and don't tell me about the rain. They would have finished at midnight and she would not have gone again to bed until at sleep at least two thirty in the morning.
Speaker 2: So I just it just.
Speaker 1: Bothers me to the nth degree that we are still continually fucking the players over with schedule. It's not okay, and I will ten I'm ten ties down on this.
Speaker 3: I don't blame you. Let's briefly talk about the men's because even though we got a better quality final, and I was there for the Semis and I saw some great tennis. Shout out Brandon Nakashima for really really making a statement with his win in the Semis over Raphael Hodar, who I think a lot of people myself included thought would certainly get to the finals, if not win the tournament. And you know, honestly, it was great to be in Montreal. I talked about how excited I was about that project. The tournament is great. I really love going to these Masters one thousands tournaments because I think they're awesome, especially now in a world where the Slams have just become insanely expensive, insanely overcrowded, and all the best players are at all of the other tournaments. So maybe spread the love a little bit. But it was strange because during the there was nothing going on, and then they saved the matches for the evening session and I just think in a city like Toronto or a city like Montreal, where you have tons and tons of people, even if it's on a weekday, because the ATP and WTA Masters one thousands extended schedule means that it's not a weekend final, which is stupid. On a weekday you get a ton of people on the grounds just watching tennis. Why wait to the evening. It was very strange to me to not show up to site until four or five pm to watch doubles and then have the two night sessions be the men's semis. I didn't see the need for it. It should have been during the day. You sell more merch, you get more people excited about it. And I don't think attendant suffers, not in a semi, not in a later stage of a tournament. I happy to talk about the tennis, but I think to continue your point about the scheduling, it's baffling to me and I don't understand why.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, that's why sammis and finals and tournaments have always finished on the weekend, because you play them in the day because people aren't at work. Right, So if that's the case and it's a weekend, you play them in the day and then you can play the final maybe at night. But also keep in mind that people have to get to another tournament right away after that as well, so you're not considering them in certain circumstances with that as well. But you know, you're making my point again for me, Now, the guys started on time at six pm, I think that's when they started their match, and then the next day the final was at five thirty pm, right, So now they got lucky because you know, the Nakashima Joda match was fantastic, you know, thankfully Ben Shelton won in straight sets and won quite comfortably against Learna TM and so he had enough time to recover for the match the next day at five point thirty because he finished it.
Speaker 2: I can't I.
Speaker 1: Don't remember, maybe ten pm, but still that's still not okay for me. But ten pm difference to one am, And it was only because if those two matches had gone very very long, like both the women's semi finals did in Canada, then you're going up against the same problem. They would have finished at one o'clock in the morning to you have a little bit of rain, which is very very possible in Canada. At that time of the year, the guys would have faced the same problem. So it's like, I don't care who's running the sport at this time, but somebody has to have some kind of semblance of sensibility that the players are suffering. And also Kitlyn, you know, this is when injuries do happen, right, So you think about Rebukina going out there not feeling great, and or Ben Shelton, who you know, I mean ran into the back wall. I mean, first of all, why is there a mat on the back of the court. That's a whole different story that I tweeted about when I was watching the match. I mean, he was so unbelievably close to having a catastrophic injury there. He could have twisted his ankle horribly. He could have banged his head on that LED screen, which people that don't know, those LED screens are really really rough, So when you put your hand on them, they're like little baby lights essentially, and so when you actually touch it, which is why his arm was all scratched up and his hand was all beat up, it's like, Okay, you're not going to necessarily change that because LED screens are beautiful on a tennis court, and I get it, but why do you have a mat at the back of the court. And I did put that question out on Twitter and one of my producers that I worked with for many, many years, Bobby Bobby text and he said, well, maybe it's to hide the cables and and I said, well, is there any way to do that without a piece of mat And he goes, yeah, you just tape it down underneath the led screens. So even little things like that, Caitlyn, Like, if I saw that as a tournament director, I'd be like, why do we have carpet here? This is dangerous for the place if they happen to come back. And these guys are all and the women they're so good defensively, they will run a ball down. Why are you putting anything on there that they can trip over?
Speaker 2: I mean, we saw it at the French Open.
Speaker 1: We saw people get very, very hurt with those boxes they used to have.
Speaker 2: Around the lines.
Speaker 1: People and it's just like, whoever's running this sport, I just wonder, have you ever fucking played tennis that?
Speaker 2: I mean, he could have really hurt himself.
Speaker 1: And guess what he couldn't have played the next day in the finals is that what you want, you want to hurt player. So ah, there's so many I was so annoyed with certain things last week, with what happened. And you know it is our job, Caitlin, you and me to make sure that they get it right, because we are the commissioners that no one's paying.
Speaker 3: Exactly, I was gonna say, is it a job to make sure they get it right? Is there a job to complain about it? But I'd love for it to be a job to get it rape because clearly the people who are in Churche aren't doing a good job anyway.
Speaker 1: But Ben played amazing. I mean, I don't know what it is in the North.
Speaker 3: Is this a Canada thing? Like he's just ready to roll in Canada?
Speaker 2: It definitely is. And I've said this many times on the pod.
Speaker 1: Players feel really comfortable at certain places, which why everyone's panicking, and rightly so panicking with Saberlenca. She is not playing well right now, she has lost her confidence. But you know she might slide into the US Open and go or Cincinnati, where she's had great success and be like, oh, I'm okay. And it is this game is so mental. It is so mental, and yes, it is how you're hitting the ball and all that sort of stuff. But if you can have a calmness about you, and we saw that with Eager last week. Her calmness on the court was so much more obvious. And is it because she's winning, of course, but you know, when she's under the pressure like she was against Fitzelina in the semis, and even there was periods in the final where it could have gotten a little tricky, she just stayed really calm. And I'm loving the fact that she's finally hitting her heavy forehand again, like with the height and particularly the forehand up the line with like you know, she like went away from that and I don't know, and it must feel really good for her to have had the guts to like get you know, to leave winfa set and get be done with that experiment and move on to somebody else in a new voice. And she has clearly excelled quickly since since sort of breaking that partnership up.
Speaker 2: And so it's a lesson for a lot of players out there. Just because someone has.
Speaker 1: A big name in quote unquote coaching, it's not necessarily the person for you, And you have to always be willing to pull the ripcord when it doesn't feel right, and that's what she did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I share your I share your enthusiasm for that. And I feel like she's dictating points with that really aggressive stance and looking to move forward and not playing. She looked, you know, I think for stretches at a time, kind of lost out there. She looked strategically confused. And I think a lot of that isn't fitness or skill, certainly, and it's it's coaching probably, And I think a lot of it is belief. She has belief again, And what a difference does it make because it is really fun to watch her. Now, I do have a question for you, and it's a little bit controversial, but I feel like we can handle it because we're both grown people now. In her victory speech, she called out the.
Speaker 2: Hater I was getting there. I was getting there.
Speaker 3: In a victory speech, she called out the haters. And I want to be specific in what she said, because there was some speculation on the internet that she was talking about us. I would not kind of characterize us as now or wasn't what. I would characterize us as people who are willing to call it as we see it, which is you know, sometimes these players, as much as we like them, need new solutions, they need new teams. They need to look at themselves. If they behave badly, we're going to say it. I think my understanding of how media should call it out is that we're doing everybody as service. We're not paid to do this. We are calling it like you'd want it to be called, in service of a better sport, and in some cases that means the players need to get it together. But I do think I want to read you the quotes because there's a lot of conversation about who she was talking about. Igoshiantek wins the match, she wins the tournament, and this is an excerpt of what she says. I mean so much to me. These past few months were not easy. Despite all the opinions meant many people have about me every day on the internet. It's not easy to deal with that. I'm happy. The reality is different. The reality is I have people who support me. I want to dedicate this title to anyone who's dealing with unfair judgment and hate. Always remember, just keep pushing and keep growing, keep focusing on yourself. I always remember what's ahead and what might be possible. So those were her words upon lifting the trophy. Are we the haters?
Speaker 2: Is it you?
Speaker 1: No, she's not talking about us. I think that I think there was some a lot of chatter in Poland. You know, if you know, can imagine when you know us or you know Andy Roddick or anybody is talking about you know, the players. We're going to give an honest evaluation of what we see. And I would suspect that you and I over the months, you know, I have I have said many times that I think that she looks lost out there, and that to me felt like a lot of stuff that was not being done on the practice court. And I will go to my grave saying that you don't play a match, you don't practice a certain way and then rip onto the tennis court and play differently.
Speaker 2: You play how you're practicing, if you're doing.
Speaker 1: The right practice drills, if you're reiterating the right things to a player, if you're getting them to understand the nuances of how to play a point, that's what you do on the practice court. And then when they go on the match court, it's all the stuff that they've been doing in practice. Nothing comes onto a match court. We're like, oh, I'm going to try this now. No, you do what you've been practicing over and over for hours and hours on the practice court.
Speaker 2: So I felt like there was a lot.
Speaker 1: Of things that she was doing on the on the on the match court that was clearly being shown up because of what she wasn't doing on the on the practice court. So you know, I'm going to and tennis experts quote unquote again I'm doing that are evaluating what they're seeing and so. And also the you know, the stress on her face and on her in her body is knowing Eager pretty well.
Speaker 2: Is she needs.
Speaker 1: She's kind of like a person that needs everything in place, right. And Sam stowso was very similar to that. Who I worked with her knew really well like if you practice a certain way on the practice court and you do drills certain way, she's going to be able to implement that on a match court and she's going to be real calm about it. And I just felt like she was so lost on the match courts that I was like, what is she doing on the practice court because it's obviously affecting her in matches and then she spirals. She's a spiraler, right, she's like everything's going a million miles an hour, which sometimes Sam would get that way as well. And then there's some players like, for example, I think Serena is a really good person for me to talk about in this regard is that Serena does very specific practice drills as well, very specific target oriented going for the cans. You know, she does every single practice session, she'll do minimum of five minutes to start the practice where she doesn't hit one ball in the net.
Speaker 2: That is her goal.
Speaker 1: Now, Lindsay Davenport used to hit every single practice she wanted to hit one foot from the baseline. Every single time she had a ball, she wanted to hit one foot from the baseline. That was her goal in practice. Now, when Serena goes and plays a match, or when Lindsay Davenport went and played a match, or you know, whatever, whoever you wanted to talk about. Everything they've done in the practice court, they can implement on the match court and be calm about it because they know they've almost they've not mastered it, but they've kind of mastered it on the practice court, so their anxiety level is lowered because they're doing it so well in the practice court. Now you will hear players say I was practicing so well and I just didn't implement it on the court, and that's nerves and that's circumstances, and maybe you played somebody that just simply played better than you. But I would say that Eager is implementing the right stuff on the practice court, where she's able to go on the match court and feel a lot calmer about her abilities because her abilities are what I saw last week, haven't changed from three years ago. They're just calmer and better and it's clear in her head what she needs to do, and that's what I s and that makes me really happy, because nobody likes to see anyone out they stressed, and that's what she looked.
Speaker 3: Like, No, for sure, and I do feel like, you know, I've made enemies out of everyone in Poland for saying that she's not my favorite player. That has nothing to do with the fact that I'm not happy to see her winning, happy to see her playing confidently, happy to see her executing a game plan. You know, there are inexplicably some players whose games speak to you more than others, But that doesn't ever mean that I'm rooting against somebody getting it together playing confident, calm, composed tennis. And I'm really impressed with the way that she's been resilient. I think in the last stretch of the year, I would say the same thing about you know, Nami Osaka, somebody else whose game I don't doesn't speak to me personally, but it's exciting to see when players crack codes, figure something out, work their way out of a rut. And I think women's tennis and tennis in general is better when you have more viable, confident, happy, stylistically different players bringing their best. And I think when I get angry or when I get disappointed, it's because I feel like somebody has maybe lost the plot or not given their full effort. That was never the case with Ego. You see how much she cares about it, and now I'm really happy that it's filing into place for her.
Speaker 1: Well, I certainly know that she certainly cares about it, and that's for sure. But you know, back to Rebakina, who has been a little bit of a question mark this year. Hasn't had the year that she and we, frankly all expected, particularly after she won the U Strain opener, you know, and she ended the year last year really well, and she's you know back winning a major title and a fantastic win at the Train Open, a great match, but it's been a little bit since then. Really it hasn't been great for her standards. You know, she's made finals and all that sort of stuff. But I sort of said this when she turned that match around down a set and three love earlier in the tournament, I was like, maybe this is a massive turnaround time for her, This is this could be career changing this year, and it all was. And that's what really triggers me and pisses me off about the fact that she wasn't given the opportunity to be at her best after the effort that she put in all tournament long, and the matches that she came back in, and then you made her go out and play a final where she's on limited sleep. And if anyone knows, if you're lacking five three percent against someone playing so well against eger, if you're lacking that three or five percent physically mentally, that's enough, that's enough.
Speaker 2: To lose the match.
Speaker 1: And that's why I said the scoreline as an indicator of how I feel like she was physically and mentally a little bit impaired in the final because of her lack of rest and sleep. And again, I don't want to take it away from me because she was the best player I feel that week. But it'll be nice to finally see them maybe have an opportunity to be they're mentally and physically best if they were to reach the final here. And you'll play each other in the Cincinnati because there are two form players right now and it's really great to see.
Speaker 3: We take a quick break and then tuck Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we will, all right, we'll be back after this. Okay, So Caitlin, you know we are in Cincinnati now. Well, first of all, can I just like as a little bit of fun before we get to the depth of this tournament.
Speaker 2: I got into a little bit of a little.
Speaker 1: Back and forth on the old socials about Schapovolov and you got a little He got a.
Speaker 3: Little annoyed getting into it with the.
Speaker 1: He got a little annoyed at I can't think of the French players right now. I've lost my train of thought. But he Lefty Bold, come on, give.
Speaker 3: It to me, Give it to me, Adrian Manrena, Goh.
Speaker 1: You're good, Caitlin. We we should do charades together. Good job, So man Aarino. Okay, So Shapavolo hits the ball, it hits the net. It kind of sitting up a little bit. But Sharpo's mid court at the net ish and like, you've done this a million times where you're running up players at the net. Now you're having to decide in your head in the space of zero point eight of a second, where you're going to hit the passing shot. Are you going to go line, You're gonna go across, You're going to go right at him? Where are they going to move? Which side are they going to move to? And Shapavolo is a great volleyer, so and he's he's lanky, and he can.
Speaker 2: Get He's done it.
Speaker 3: He's a shot guy. He's a pleamaker guy.
Speaker 1: He's awesome let the net like he can make I've seen him die for volleys in matches. So this isn't an athletic very good volier and tall and so I'm like, where's he going to hit this? Look like he might shade to the line. And also people at home have to understand when the players is sitter. I know this because this was one of my specialties is that I would move to a spot and give someone the open spot, and then I would move to the open spot and pick the volley off right. And so you know that as a player, which way is he going to go? So Mannorino decided to go straight at him, which to me was actually the right shot, right, because if you try and go cross court and he tips the racket on it, he's gonna hit a winner down the line. If you go down the line, he's gonna hit his back end bolly pasted you, and you're done. So we went right at him and he hit him and oh no, I don't even.
Speaker 2: Know if he hit him.
Speaker 1: Shapavolove was so pissed he starts yabbering away at Mannorino like you had the whole court, like blah blah blah, and I'm like, brohre you serious? And Max Purcell wrote in the same little thing on I think it was on Instagram. He's like, bro is a tennis ball, like get over yourself kind of thing, right, And people like he had the whole court and they're going at me like, I'm like, it was the right shot.
Speaker 2: It was the correct shot. I just don't understand.
Speaker 1: I just get so annoyed by people that have never really played, and even some guy in Australia like wrote me, He's like, I've coached tennis for thirty years and it was not appropriate. I was like, oh my god, maybe that's why you weren't on the pro tour because that was the right shot that he hit. Shapovalov next game has a fourhand running passing shot. Menorin is kind of a bit of a dead duck at the net. Absolutely rips it at him.
Speaker 2: That's fair in tennis. That's the play.
Speaker 1: If you don't think you can get around them or over their head, you go right at him.
Speaker 3: I mean, these people have obviously never played college tennis because college tennis pegging somebody's extra points.
Speaker 2: Don't talk to Von Landel about this. That was like a sport for him.
Speaker 3: I am reminded of Ben Shelton playing doubles. Where was it in Montic drib Y He he hit a player with a tennis ball and the guy falls over like he's been shot point blank and he's like, bro, bro, you guys are so soft. It's a tennis ball. And I was like, yeah, this is really actually endearing me to Ben Shelton I'm not saying you try to go for their heads, but if it hits their body part, or if you can't, as you say, strategically make a cross court down the line or lob going right at them is a great play. You know, tell me you've never played competitive tennis. Without telling me you never played competitive tennis. Although Renee, I thought we did have a new resolution for you to not get into it with people on social.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, I mean, listen, I go back at people. Maybe five percent now it used to be fifty. I guess are improved.
Speaker 2: I've grown up. I've grown up.
Speaker 3: This is what growth looks like. Ladies and gentlemen, Let's talk more about Cincinnati. It's all popping off you. You mistakenly said that we were here in Cincinnati. I think you meant here in this portion of the year, in this portion of the calendar, because neither of us in fact or in Cincinnati, where it appears to be one hundred and eighty percent due point and raining all the time, which is a real bummer. But obviously all the best tennis players in the world are there and they are duking it out. Our favorite sisters are going to be playing doubles this evening.
Speaker 2: Today, today and Serena.
Speaker 3: We've got Alex Yala versus Amanda Anissimova. We got Arthur Ferry. He won his first match since his amazing magical semifinal run at Wimbledon, takes on Alex de Minar. It's you know, Ben Shelton's already out till their Fritz loss is cool, but won his match. Felix O jel Asiem took a teasy passe. It's all happening. I don't know where you want to start, but there's just a bevy of great matches, a bevy of great players, and I I don't know. For me, I'd like to see Amanda Nisimova turn the corner. Here looks she looks happy. Kind of pursue it to our conversation about players, even if you don't love the way they play, you just want them to do well. I love him in a Nissimova's backhand. I love her pep. I love the fact that she's, you know, got the goods when it matters in deep ends of tournaments. And I'd love to see her kind of get through whatever mental funk with her new well returned coaching team. Alexei Ala fantastic story. That's gonna be popcorn. But for me, I'd like to see a Nissimova go deep in this tournament to give her a little bit of a boost going into the OS Open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she needs it because you know, clearly so somebody has a lot of points to defend. Not that that matters because she's such a good player. She's going to be in the top twenty at least for her entire career. She's too good a player not to be able to do that. But yeah, look, certainly it will be a test for her against Iyala, and it's because guess what as I talked about and I have talked about for the last week or so, is that you have to be mentally prepared to deal with the crowd that is going to be not only alexi Alla's ability and talent to take the ball on and redirect the ball really well as much like Angie Kobe used to do. Amanda has to be patient, but she has to be in control of the aggressiveness of this match, because if she allows Alexiala to move around the court, she will lose.
Speaker 2: The second thing is I have talked about the.
Speaker 1: Serf, and you know, got into a little bit of trouble a couple of weeks ago when I said that I didn't think she could ever win a major title Alexialo because of the serf, and I still stand by that to a certain degree. But these players have to they have to figure out the leftiness of her. And I've talked about you got to go with the spin. You have to get the correct shot. You have to get depth on the return. That's what's important because if you don't, alexiy Ala will make you move on the second as we say, serve plus one, and that's what she's going to do to Amanda if Amanda doesn't get the ball deep and sort of getting Eyala on the run straight away off the very slow second serve.
Speaker 2: I mean it is really.
Speaker 3: Leftie is the lefty. She tends to go body or tea a lot. I've noticed on that second serve it's only like seventy miles an hour at most, Like it's pretty most, it's pretty slow. It looks like some of the stuff I'm looking at in the good old recreational courts here in New York City. But it's effective because a it's off pace, it's kind of a knuckleball comes into the body where if you're tall and lanky like in Anissimova or a lot of these girls, it's not in their strang zone. They got to really move around it and get away from it so that they can have a clean look at it. And I actually think it's sort of a key to understanding Yella's game, which is she's smart, she works with spins, and she's got a you know, a lefty look that's not typical. She's not coming out and blasting you off the court. She's coming and slicing and dicing you in a way that's you know, movement heavy, and once the crowd gets into it, as you say, it can be a really effective combination. So for me, it'll be a really interesting contrast in styles. Can Anisio Moba keep it together? Can Yalla find success kind of slicing into the body of anisim mobile, she will get jammed. I'm sure she's going to try to do that a ton Can a Nusumbo adjust like it's a little bit of a picture catch, you know, pitcher batter dual To me where it's so different in style, like who's going to be able to impose their will onto this match. And there's you know, obviously a lot of really interesting matchups. This one stood out to me because I like both these kids and I want them to do well, and you know, I'm curious how how the matchup will go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you sort of have a little bit of like anxiety going and playing a player that has such a slow second serve, especially when it's a lefty, and you sort of have to work out how you want to approach it and you and you have to have fantastic footwork and that's going to be key today for Amanda against Yala, but it will be certainly a popcorn match also, Pagoula Navarro. I mean, nice to see Lindon Naskova when you know her match, when she's obviously gonna have to play Clara Towson, who's had a bit of a struggle over the last twelve months, but two very big hitters of the ball, Ken Ribarkina continue to play well, IGAs Ciontek looking great, and you know, there's a lot of question marks on sable Anka still, but I.
Speaker 3: Still should we start and talk about that for a second, just because I think a lot of folks are kind of questioning what the sable Anka situation is right now. We can we talked about it. We hit a bun it a little bit last week, so I don't you know, I'm not going to die on this hill if you don't want to get into it more. But it does. It has the questions have remained. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the thing.
Speaker 1: Look, she had a tough second set yesterday against Talia Gibson. Tali is a very good hitter of the ball, can play very good tennis. She's had some you know, big wins in her young career, already in place very well on hard court, so it would have been interesting to see if she had been able to win that second set in the tiebreak. But Sabolanka kind of got the best in that situation, which maybe gives her a lot of confidence.
Speaker 2: Because one of the things that we talked about through the.
Speaker 1: Last feels like two years is that every time Sabolanka got into a tie breaker was like good night.
Speaker 2: She was winning every tie break. That is not the case this year.
Speaker 1: She's losing those types of moments, tiebreaks, third sets, all the matches that she was winning last year or certainly at the beginning of the year in Indian Walls in Miami.
Speaker 2: She's not winning this year, So I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, it might be a little it might be something small, but I do look at those little things, like, Okay, so she won that second set tiebreak, didn't get into the third set. But you know, she's got a handsful to be able to win this tournament because there are some players that are playing really good, like a she on Tech, like a Rebeccina, and players that can beat Saberlenka, And you know, she's thankful that there are a couple of people that are not in the draw that can beat her. But look, if Sabolenka would have come through and win Cincinnati, then she's still my favorite at the US Open, just because again, she loves playing in New York and the crowds love her in New York.
Speaker 3: So her temperament is a perfect fit for New York. She likes the night session, she likes the sizzle, she likes the fashion components. She's very, you know, obviously comfortable with media and crowds and attention, and I think that speaks very well. To do well in New York, you have to lean into those sort of things. And I'm mainly just excited because I feel like we have so many good players, and I do want to say just because time is getting a little short and I want to make sure we get this in. You know, we've been really big upping the women's tour, I mean really truly for the better part of a decade, and we've been doing this this show. I do want to talk a little bit about how the men have really impressed me in the last two weeks. I've been really impressed with your not only your Ben Shelton's, but your brandon Na Kashima. His sort of belief not to not to lean too heavily on you know, a cliche and we talked about it with the ego, but he's got given a lot of credit size, but he's got belief. And do you think it's Wayne Ferira?
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, I think I give so much credit to Wayne Ferrera. We saw what Wayne Ferrera did for Francis Tiafo. He gave Francis Tiafo the belief as well. And I would argue and say that Francis was, you know, semi finals of the US Open, was really on the cusp there, and I think Wayne really did a great job with him. And if anybody knows Wayne, I know Wayne very well. I grew up playing with him. He's I think the same age as me, like hard work, are very basic, sort of lovely guy who just does the work, and he knows tennis inside it and was an awesome player in his own right, and he understands the forward movement and how to play a point really well. And I think he's given that structure to Brandon, who's always I've loved Brandon Nakashima for years. I've talked about him years and years ago on the pot about he's one of the best backhands in the game without question.
Speaker 2: He's win against Hodah was amazing.
Speaker 1: The last game to get into the final, which was the biggest when really technically of his career to get to a final of a Master's one thousand.
Speaker 2: The game went for ten minutes serving.
Speaker 1: Out the mount and he kept his composure and he's calm against a young, very good player who's absolutely going to win a major title in the next.
Speaker 2: Like I would say three years undoubtedly in Hoda.
Speaker 1: But it's just really great to see Nakashima sort of get the wins there, but again I think he just fell short in the final with the Ben played awesome, but.
Speaker 3: Ben played awesome. I I want to shout out Yakub Menchik, who we just released a very fun digital cover package on He photographs very well. That's all I'll say. Go to our Instagram or our website. You got a nice future story. It's in the next print issue of the magazine that we're launching next week. You know, made a semi made a very very strong showing in Montreal and won a very impressive match in his first round in Cincinnati. You know, we have called out the second sort of tier, the second band of players, for not stepping up. And Ben Shelton defending a Master's one thousand title back to back years is impressive. Getting confident Nakashima, getting some of these guys who made it deep in the tournament. Arthur feasts back and looking healthy. Like I said, Menshik is exciting and backing up his Miami win last year with a pretty strong season this year. They're not feeding away, they're not going away, They're getting better. Hodar is the best example of all of them. This time last year he was ranked what five hundred in the world. Now he's solidly in the top echelon. So I think for me, we discussed the elephants in the rooms last episode, it does not seem more likely that Carlos A. Karez is going to be playing the US Open. We have no information. I'm just speculating. It doesn't seem terribly confidence inspiring. And I don't have any inside information about whether Yannick Center is playing. But what I now have confidence about and what I now have information about, and it's not insider information because anybody watching tennis could have surmised us, is that maybe this band of players, this tier is ready to step up and make some noise and pound their chests a little bit. And that makes me very exciting, excited because I love a tennis environment where lots of different people are contending, lots of different outcomes. I like chaos, I like carnage, I like variety. I don't like certainty, and so to me, the certainty of one of those two guys winning every tournament was starting to get pretty old. Wish they were playing, hope that they're going to play. No inside information whether they will or not. But I'm excited because now it seems like there's a whole bunch of other guys who want it and feel like they can go and get it, And I think that will make for a much much more exciting US Open.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more. And I do think that I said who's going to step up? And Ben stepping up? And remember what happened to him last year at the US Open when he was in control of the match and he dove for a ball because he almost killed himself in Montreal running back for a ball that he probably had no business running trying to run down.
Speaker 2: But that's just Ben and who he is.
Speaker 1: And he's enthusiasm for trying to play tennis and have fun with it is so obvious. And I love that about him. And he's yes and he's come ons and all that sort of stuff. That's just like his little ticks that he's had from playing college tennis, where he would have been you know, Caitlin, are you yelling and screaming all the time in college? So it's kind of like comparative to what it was like five years ago when he first came on tour. It's like he's like a normal tennis player now out there, like just expressing himself in those moments.
Speaker 2: But there is no doubt.
Speaker 1: And I've said this, We've been waiting for who's going to be the next American to win a major title, and I do believe that it's Ben. And the reason I do say that I think he has the best chance of everybody is because he has the weapons and he's dangerous when he's on. But it's a matter of mentally and emotionally, and not so much physically, because I think he's physically a specimen. I think that it's more along the lines of emotionally and mentally. Can he get through the best of five seven matches against the Yannis and against Alchasz and winning masters, won thousands like that, and having those results and knowing how well he played at the US Open last year, look out, no one's going to want to play Ben Shelton, And particularly whatever he does here in Cincinnati will certainly be if you win Cincinnati, for example, wow, will that give him tremendous like confidence going in to play the big fellas at the US Open? And who knows if the big fellows are even going to be there at this point, because they're certainly not looking good at the moment. All right, let's take a really quick break. We've got one or two questions that we want to get to before we end the pod today, so let's.
Speaker 2: Do that now, Okay, Caitlin, my lives usual. I woke up this morning, decided to throw out a tweet.
Speaker 1: And I know so many of our this morning and choose violence. I chose to just throw a quick question out there. But you know it's I apologize everyone. I'm a little bit unorganized.
Speaker 2: I was out in the Hamptons this weekend at a wedding. I was at a wedding, you know, and.
Speaker 1: I didn't really have I forgot to send the question out, so everyone, I apologize. But we did get one or two people right in garam Hawa Is like you know is our staple wrote in and said, I am not feeling the hype around Hoddah clearly and up and coming player, but seems a bit rude and disrespectful to players and people who work around him.
Speaker 2: Misreading or something else.
Speaker 1: Hmm, thoughts, Well, I can tell you from my perspective before you get to yours, because I did interview him in Washington.
Speaker 3: Dey, can you tell me you've too interacted?
Speaker 1: With him.
Speaker 2: He was lovely, He was a delight to talk to.
Speaker 1: He answered the questions really really in depth, and he was great with the fans, very delightful. I do think that there's a little bit of a snippety or snickety whatever the word is, a bit punchy sometimes on the court. But he's nineteen. He's learning to deal with these pressures now. One thing I don't like players doing is pointing at the towel, like, get me the towel.
Speaker 2: I know, it's a.
Speaker 1: Kind of like a little bit of a it's become a bit of a thing, like please go get my towel. Little things like that I think annoy people when they watch him. They feel like he's a little bit entire all at times. But people making comments like he's taking a time out to fix his shoe and his shoe lace.
Speaker 2: It's like, guys, his shoelace is broken. What do you want him to do?
Speaker 1: Play without a fucking shoe tied up. So there are certain things that I think people are grabbing too, or sort of like even when Novak would do stuff, people would like grab at it and like think it was nefarious and all this sort of stuff. Having been around him and even off the court, and his dad is such a delight. I think that he is a lovely kid that has a little bit of a snippety, snickitty personality on the court.
Speaker 2: Sometimes. Now I was a little bit the same.
Speaker 1: Sometimes people had thought processes of like how maybe I was, but I was different off the court. So he's young, give him time, but as far as his talent, he's going to win a major in the next three years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have very little dad to that. I spoke to his dad when I was watching in practice in Rome. You know, I'm never going to stop myself from trying to speak Spanish to people or French really depending you know, high role.
Speaker 2: It depends on how drunk.
Speaker 3: I went on the Tish Tennis Montreal's podcast s llin this week. Actually, if you want to catch her latest episode, and I spoke French at the top of it, not drunk, I should add wasn't very impressive, as you've heard.
Speaker 2: But well, because you're better when you're drunk.
Speaker 3: As is everyone at languages. But hod Our's game, I get that it's not tremendously appealing on the surface level. It is not Carlos Altgraz it is Yenick Center. It is a stoic, it is internal, It is highly highly efficient, and I understand how that makes people a little bit less emotional. It makes me less emotional. I'm less excited about him as a player than I am about an Arthur Feace, for example, just because I like the energy and I like the flash that said he's his talent is undeniable. I will make a statement that's not going to countervail anything that you just said about his snippy perception or how sometimes he can be a little short. But I think tennis has been missing in the form of Holgaruna, who I love of a very low stakes villain, a very low stakes villain, somebody who maybe takes a little extra time out, maybe goes to the bathroom a bunch. Dennis Chapavolas, who you mentioned earlier this podcast, got really pissed at Hodar for taking some inopportune breaks bathroom and otherwise when he was up five to one against Hodar. Shoelaces were also a factor. This has happened a couple of times. Do I think it's a conspiracy? Do I think he's a bad sport? No? If his shoelaces are broken. I don't know what do you want him to do, but I think this is exactly the kind of like low steaks villainy that makes for fun tennis spectating. He's not out of pocket, he's not hurting anybody. He's just sometimes maybe lining himself up to be a little bit annoying. And I think that's okay. And I think he's a good addition to the pack of these guys who I think are gonna take it to the top and really make it. You know, I don't have to love every Shoty hits, but I definitely think the tennis tour is better better with him in a shirting dip, and I think it's going to happen one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Well, I did say the same exact thing about Yanick Center. I remember having a conversation with Darren k.
Speaker 2: Hill.
Speaker 1: He was at the US Open, and I remember Yanick was just getting there. He was just getting whether he was a quarters or semis of slams or maybe it was prior to that. And I went and Darren told me he was working with like, oh, you got a good one there, mate, He's gonna be good. And because Yannick had the stoicet. He was so stoic, he was so hard working, He had the weapons, and it was a matter of just sort of molding that young, early, kind of deary body and trying to figure out how to play tennis at a high level day in, day out, point in, point out, game in, game in, you know, all sorts of things. So I feel like in that thing, I think the one thing that he has to consider is.
Speaker 2: A coach with his dad. Keep the dad.
Speaker 1: He's young, He's done a fantastic job already. Just maybe someone to add one colors for, like, somebody that can sort of add that extra layer of how to emotionally handle the semi final, how to emotionally handle the final, how to deal with the press, how did you know deal with you know.
Speaker 3: How Dad will not necessarily have any experience irrelevant.
Speaker 1: He has no idea to do it. Dad has no idea. He's done a great job. And as I said, he's a lovely human being, and you spoke to him, you know what kind of a man he is, the good family and nice kid, you know. So anyway, all right, James Tan said, can you compare the slice back ins of Ashbarty and Steffie. How did they stack up against each other where they use this different tools by them? I figure you would know both well. Most wtare slice back ends. Discussions feature these lazies, thanks Dubsy. Well different in a lot of ways. Steffie was a little bit more sort of a longer stroke if you think about it, Like she really turned her shoulders like really well and really used her body to hit her slice backhand. It was really flowy and just could pop it anywhere on the court. It was just a beauty to watch. Ashes was a little bit more sort of hand, but also a beautifully constructed slice back end. But she she utilized her hands a little bit more than Stephie. But both could hit any slice anywhere short, deep down the line, cross court so well and keep the ball low. And any player that can do with that on the tour is going to be successful. Because I can tell you, even my pathetic self, if when I would hit with players much better players than me, even when I was coaching them, and they would be killing me, and then all of a sudden I'd throw in a just a knife slice, I cannot tell you how many times they would miss that ball. It was like it was the only way that I could survive and win a rally.
Speaker 2: I would just finally go.
Speaker 1: I'd just throw in a big chop slice deep into the court and they'd like hit it in the bottom of the net. Now they get used to it over time, but it is an underutilized shot. So if I was teaching a kid to play that had the talent, I would teach them a two handed back can and a very good slice back end. And Kim Cloisters was pretty good at that. I think Kim was probably the best at two hand, best two hander I'd seen with a slice back end.
Speaker 2: Kim was great at that.
Speaker 1: So I don't know how they both use them differently, but they were very attacking.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna I'm gonna maybe this is charge of it in an area of which you are more of an expert than anybody else on the planet. But for me as a spectator, Steffi was one of my favorite players ever growing up, and she almost exclusively used the slice. So she used it way, way, way more to attack. I think right, she hit over a backhand maybe three times in her entire career. I mean exactly, she had it, and it was she was good at it. But really the slice was more of an attack shot whereas Ash party. For me, it was more of a way to mix it up, not only reach, a way to approach, whereas Steffie was the default. So for me, that that is also something that we really haven't seen. We've seen it a little bit on the Men's Tour, like Dan Evans was using a slice more as the default backhand. Obviously we've seen Tatiana Maria use it, but she goes over it quite a bit as opposed to just hitting slice. But I think that era of heavy top spin forehand power, frauline for hid forehand and then a knife slice attack is something that it would be cool to see that come back. I wish more people would teach their kids slaces, because it's all right, I'm trying to teach my son now. It's hard to teach. Actually, it's very hard to teach. And it's a bit of a natural thing. Yeah you either kind of you either kind of get it, you.
Speaker 1: Have it, or you done, and yeah, you know, I have it, and I I'm thankful because it's the one thing I can still hit pretty well. All Right, well we've sort of I'll answer the other questions with my own little responses on Twitter and for those of you not on Twitter or X yes, I know, but I woke up this morning and that was just the last minute thing. So I'll be do better, Renee, do better. It's pathetic.
Speaker 3: I'm just positive. Let's keep a positive. Sorry, next, next point, give a moving all.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, we've got a ton of tennis super excited about who wins Cincinnati. The women's is the Hunger Games. The guys is Hunger Games. Because it's true.
Speaker 3: I love it. Now the guys are stepping up, so keep it going, guys, Let's have some exciting later rounds.
Speaker 1: We much prefer Hunger Games in all departments. Although I miss you Carlos and I miss Youyanick, So get back here, all right, guys, thanks for joining us today. It was a really spirited discussion. Thanks Caitlin. And then I don't even honestly, this is what's embarrassing about this, because I was a little bit having fun this weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what part of the tournament are we in in Cincinnati? You know what I mean? It just doesn't feel right.
Speaker 3: It's because of the weird tournament ending on Thursday in Canada, that's why you're weird. I'm weird too. Play where even are we you're used to? Okay, the week is over. This tournament should end on a Sunday or maybe Saturday, and it's why we Monday. It's so strange. I know, it's really weird. Well, thankfully, with US Open starting in a very short two week window, we will be back on schedule exactly.
Speaker 2: And I did get asked if I'll be in Cincinnati with Serena. I will not. She's just playing doubles there.
Speaker 1: She has enough team there to deal with her on that occasion, and so you'll see me back in New York with Serena. But anyway, everybody, thanks for joining us today. I really appreciate Caitline. Let's go of a drink. I never see you.
Speaker 3: In your apartment.
Speaker 2: I'm in my apartments.
Speaker 1: Unaccepted, all right, Matete Bye,