Speaker 1: Socks on thirty fifth is next doors open on the left.
Speaker 2: How's it going, everybody?
Speaker 3: This is your host, Duke Coffin and welcome to the Socks on thirty fifth podcast. We are back with another exciting episode covering yos Cargo White soxb dot COM's White Sox Beat writer Scott Merkins our guest today. A pleasure as always have you on, Scott. Thank you for making some time for us here.
Speaker 4: That's kind of a high tech opening there. I was pretty impressed by that. Isn't that like just some fly by night thing? How this that's we've.
Speaker 1: Got to product. You've got some production value on that.
Speaker 5: It's been a while since you've been on, but I think we've we've upgraded our setup a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'm impressed. I'm impressed.
Speaker 2: Appreciate coming on.
Speaker 1: Sure, no problem, but glad you guys gonna have me getting ready.
Speaker 4: Just before I pack and get ready to go to Texas, where I think the mean temperature will be like one hundred and seventeen and all three days were there, but I remember the first time I went there, I think for the new stadium. I stayed at the Sheraton which they have since plowed and it's very close to the old stadium, so you start walking in that heat and you're like, oh, I'm almost there. That he gets to the old stadium and realize it's still like a half mile to the new stadium, and you're like looking for any sort of worker who has a cart that can take you the rest of the way because it's just so damn out in Texas. But hey, it's July in Texas, right, You're not expecting it to be sixty five or seventy degrees all.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 4: When I looked at the forecast last week, it was like in the eighties last week, which is a cold snap for Arlington.
Speaker 3: Well, it really does just kind of blow you away about the fact that they played in an outdoor stadium down there for that long.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's like, you know, I go to Las Vegas a lot. I have a lot of friends in Las Vegas, a lot of people I know out there, and you know, from the beginning they were talking about you could never put you. I don't understand how they do it at I can't think of the name of the Aviator's Ballpark, but it's in summerland, right in the heart of like a really nice downtown Summerland neighborhood about forty minutes from this, I think, But I just can't imagine that you could ever played the game.
Speaker 1: They're same with like Arizona Complex.
Speaker 4: Like I was looking at Drew Thorpe's box score yes day and their first pitch was at nine fifty nine, which it pretty much has to be right because if you play it like one, it's one hundred and fifteen degrees, So you got to get it out before before it really starts, you know. I'm more I'm all for like the ten am starts in the spring training once in a while. I think that'd be kind of cool to have a couple of businessmen special you know, maybe like nine thirty, get it done, let the players have the rest of the day, and that kind of thing. And I ever saw that was the last day of spring training a few years ago when this touched how long ago was Brad Keller was with the team before he hit it big with the Cubs and got paid. But he pitched in and they had an inner squad game the last day they were in Arizona, and it started at like nine am, but there was no crowd or anything. It was just kind of get the innings in, get out, let's get on the plane and go to I forgot I think they opened it home that year, but so that that's about all I can remember.
Speaker 1: But very very rarely will they have anything better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's It's just a tough time to try to play in a full baseball uniform. But as always, I'm also joined by Jordan Lazowski and Nick Gower or Nick actually got to travel to Colorado, which was probably a little bit a little bit cooler than say, what Texas is going to be to start the week here.
Speaker 2: But overall, gentlemen, how was How was the last couple of days here?
Speaker 1: Good? Nice to have baseball back.
Speaker 5: I mean, baseball wasn't not back, but White Sox baseball back, I guess I'll say, so.
Speaker 4: I gotta ask on, uh, you went to Colorado? I know we're talking about the White Sox and not the Rockies, but I know they have zero pitching right They're pitching is a debacco, but they seem to have some offensive players on that team that they're starting to develop. But I like that Warren Schafer's seems like a good fit as a manager there. But Hunter Goodman, like once every two weeks has a three homer game. It seems like at this point and they look like they've started the smble of feet and maybe it looks a little like the Socks of the second half of last year, where the offense is they and you just got to kind of round.
Speaker 1: Out the team. Yeah, yeah, you can kind of see the vision.
Speaker 6: I want one of their games against the Marlins when I was there at which they they won that game, and I remember thinking, like, all these guys have an ops like the eight Henders and nine. I know it's course willed, everyone's inflated, but even then, it still feels like they have a lot more of a formidable line up, even beyond Hunter Goodman. So yeah, you can definitely start to see, you know, see the team taking shape. I don't know if they'll ever get the pitching they need over there, but it's still a fun ballpark and hopefully things get better for them because they've been at the bottom.
Speaker 1: Of the NLS for a while.
Speaker 4: The one prime they faced at the White six Stone is the Dodgers are in that division and will stay there unless they realigned, So that's always going to be an uphill climb. I mean the Dodgers. I don't know what you guys think. I don't think they've played particularly you know, inspired dominant baseball this year. And they're still like, what twenty seven games over five hundred, So they pretty much from like spring training on just play for seeding in the postseason, right because they know they're going in some form and most likely going to win the division. And now they're what thirteen fourteen games up, so they're going to win the division. But it's just weird to see that kind of dynamic every year where they're just like, all right, you know, we're good. We'll see in see in October and see what we can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, it's crazy that they have that dynamic in a sport like baseball with how many games you have to play compared to like the NBA, you know you can you can get away with like sitting your stars so many games because you know you're gonna end up being there.
Speaker 2: Baseball it's quite completely different ball game.
Speaker 3: And I'm glad you brought up Hunter out there in Colorado because I think he's one of the more underrated catchers in baseball right now.
Speaker 2: You guys, does.
Speaker 3: Play in a very hity hit or friendly ballpark. But yeah, I don't. I don't know how you could convince any pitcher into their prime, whether it's coming out of free agency or whatnot, to want to go pitch in Colorado just because you're you're really you're pitching against yourself every time you pitch at home, and it's it's a tough one.
Speaker 1: You know, they didn't go to a World Series, right, so it can be done.
Speaker 4: But I hear you that, I don't think Colorado, even with that offense behind you, I don't think Colorado is like a prime target most high end pitchers, even that they're willing to pay. But again, you know, we'll see what happens after the whole labor stuff. But uh, money talks, and if the right if the right money is out there for all you need is one or two to click.
Speaker 1: And you're and you're on your way.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean they're they're still hoping for that uh A ball over men as to kind of pop out of.
Speaker 1: Nowhere like uh rest pats right.
Speaker 2: But it's great to hear, gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Uh, we got quite a bit to cover yet in this episode, and I haven't even got my ad read jet out. But before we get started, we share subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, anywhere else hear your podcast, I'll sure check out the website Socks on thirty fifth dot com, as well as following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at socks on thirty fifth. For the record, the ad reads are literally just for us, So thank you Joe for supporting the podcast. Scott, you've covered the White Socks in two thousand and three, so you've been around the ballpark for quite a while. You've gotten to see a lot of twists and turns with the clubhouse. You got to see kind of where this team was before they brought in a guy like Aasiyeen and kind of the road that we've rone ever since. Then, where does this turnaround we've seen this season rank among the most surprising developments that you've covered.
Speaker 4: I mean, it probably would be the most surprising because if you look at like two thousand and five, they were actually pretty good in Assie's first year, and then I believe Frank and Maglio both had injuries and I want to say season ending injuries, So they went from maybe like one or two games in first place to falling behind and garden Hires Twins ended up winning the division, So I don't think it was that shocking. Maybe it was shocking the dominance they showed in OH five, which is still underrated in my opinion. You know, Pillar to post first place ninety nine wins, which still ties the franchise record eleven and one of the postseason. The one game they lost with some was a weird game where the Angels flew across the country and Paul Byrd started nothing against Paul Bird and you know they beat him like three to two in game one of the Alcs, and just you know, dominant across the board. They just did everything right. I know they had the one no team is perfect, and they they saw a fifteen game lead go to one and half. But for the most part, maybe that the breath of that, the scope of that wasn't expected. But they were pretty good in two thousand four. Maybe the falloff in two thousand and seven from a good team in six was a little stunning, But in terms of positive ways, I can't think of a Robin's first year they had the similar kind of start as Will's team this year did. They were six and thirteen under Will this year I think they were seventeen and twenty two and Robin's first year and they led for We quoted the stat all the time and I can't remember now, it's like one hundred and twenty two days they had first plays in the Vision and then they just ran a gas in September and could hold on. And you hope that doesn't happen this year because it is a young team that's going to be dealing with new stuff. But you saw it a little bit last year after the All Star break. You saw the way they hit the ball off to the All Star Break. You saw these young guys starting to gel together in just a short time. And then you can't state enough how much Murrakammie would attack on Murrak.
Speaker 1: Commie has made a difference.
Speaker 4: So I would say in the twenty four years i've covered it for MLB dot, this is the most surprising and not surprising that they're competitive, surprising that they're were they fifty one and forty five and or maybe even better than fifty two and forty six.
Speaker 1: I want to say yeah, because they had sixty.
Speaker 4: Seven coming out of the break, and you know, a playoff team, a very secure playoff team, not like excuse me. If they struggle for two weeks, they're gonna be six games out.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: The AL is not. But this is a good combination of the AL is not good this year. You know, Tampa was the best team for a while and they just got taken apart by the red hot, unstoppable Boston Red Sox, who the White Socks got taken down by two. But it's a good year for the Socks to jump up because they are they are pretty solid. So while the AL is not and it's Pinnacle, that's fine for the Socks. You know, they're six over and holding a one game lead in the division, you know, well ahead in the wildcards. So I would to make a long answer, sure, I would say this is the most surprising thing I've seen, just in the depth of their success, not just that they've been good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I did like what you add to the five team, because even during our our outing last weekend that we had as a as a company, we kind of I kind of got I turned into the old man of the group and started talking about how crazy it was that the five team did what they did considering what we did in the off season just before that. You know, bringing in a guy like Jermaine Die who was considered a failure out with the A's, letting a guy like Maglio ordniez Go who is a fan favorite, trading Carloss Slee a potential for forty home run guy for a leadoff hitter named Scott pit Sednek. It all seemed kind of crazy, so seeing it kind of go to where it was was.
Speaker 1: Really cool first.
Speaker 4: But I have to say real quick, I heard quite a bit of damage done in that suite you guys had when you guys were when you guys had the outing, just chaos the whole time, you know what, the press boxes just three or four down, and we kept hearing you know, over the over the walkie talkie from our press back tend and get into the suite.
Speaker 1: There's problems going on. No I'm kidding, No, you're lying.
Speaker 3: No, I've done but I want to have to rebuilt with Fridge quite a few times.
Speaker 1: That's what it's the airport though.
Speaker 4: I want to something real quick on that five team in that My first socks Fest was I want to say four, and that was when they had a pretty decent team in O three and then lost it down the stretch and I think they had seven free agents and all seven left. So Socks fans were irate, and it was kind of like a verbal fistfight in the town hall meeting between the Socks fans and Kenny Williams, who did not back down from anything. Kenny was ready and Ozzie's first as a manager, So Ozzie's on stage for the town hall, Kenny just watching Kenny go. And there was one fan who stood up and said, Kenny, now that two thousand and four is over, you know, making a joke, what are you gonna do for oh five?
Speaker 1: Well, I think he answered that question right.
Speaker 4: He went he won the first World Series in eighty eight years, but that SOXS Fest was a beauty in two thousand and four because fans were irate, even worse than maybe some of the last few years or last you know, ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can only imagine with this current team, when did you first start to believe that they could be more than just a rebuilding club, Like was.
Speaker 2: There a game? Was series? You know, you alluded to.
Speaker 3: How how bad the start was, and I feel like that's something that doesn't get talked about enough about how dire it looked like it was about to start again. Where did you see that turnaround really start to take off with this team.
Speaker 4: I mean, they got swept twice at home, right by Tampa and Baltimore, who both are competitive teams. Baltimore, I think, is two out of the wild card in Tampa's as the best record in the American League. But even then, you know, with the start in Milwaukee, the one and five overall start, the six and thirteen start, you know, you watched bad baseball for a good part of the last I mean, you could even go back to twenty one.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that twenty one.
Speaker 4: That's a good season, twenty two, which may have been more frustrating than the three hundred lost seasons because that twenty two team was never in it and never out of it. They were never more than five over never more than five hunders. So every time you thought, oh they're on a run, here we go, they'd lose a few and they'd be like, okay, they're out.
Speaker 1: Then they'd win a few. So it was just maddening.
Speaker 4: And then of course Tony got sick during the year, which thankfully he's okay. You know, I would say, even with the record and there was doubts. There's no question there was talking among ourselves like, is this going to be a four hundred last season? Can Chris go through that? You know, is that part of the rebuild to lose four straight one hundred low seaons, which is obviously not going to happen now barring a complete collapse. I think it was even back at Socksfest. I think you could talk about it in the offseason or the end of last year. You know, Davis Martin told me that he's never been more excited to go into an off season to get ready for the next year than he was this offseason. Davis is kind of the the ful crumb of that clubhouse, along with Mike Vassel, of course, but you know he's he had that whole the whole pitching staff out to his family's ranch during the offseason and just in spring training. I'm sorry, in socks Fest, you talk to the guys and you could sense they thought something was up.
Speaker 1: You could sense they thought something different was coming.
Speaker 4: Now. I don't know if they knew Murakami was gonna be such a huge impact right off the bat, but no pun intended. But I think just spring training you saw it in these guys. You saw the way they played and you saw that even though the Cactus League games.
Speaker 1: Mean nothing in the long run, really, you know nothing.
Speaker 4: They're fun for the fans out there. It's fun to see the players, but you can see the Socks took things seriously. They really were ready, they really were working to get better, and I mean, I can't think of them. I would guess the moment where I thought, Okay, this team should be and very well might be a playoff team is the Brain Montgomery walkoff because Iglassie has had been unhittable the entire year, and you know, for this kid in his first game to go opposite field against the glass and when he hit it off the bat, it didn't look much, but then you could see the left fielder it was over his head and you're like, okay, this is gonna tie it if nothing else, and then it went out. So when that happened, I mean, any of the seven walkoffs you could say, really, I mean the the Edgar Carroll because the poor guy has had such a bad Ragulars season, the home run off Ryan Rowlison to beat the Cubs. I think that series kind of turned it, and that does a lot with the Cubs Socks series, and that you know, the Cubs had been the team. The Cubs went to the NLCS last year, right, No, they went to the NLDS and lost to Milwaukee. I'm sorry they lost in fives Milwaukee. So they've been, you know, above the Socks the last four or five years especially, and to stand up and you know, you beat him three times in spring training, whatever that means. But to win that series and to win the way they did, and just a great game. I mean, maybe not so great for Socks fans when Confordo hit the three run homer and.
Speaker 1: The ninth, but I think that kind of put him forward.
Speaker 4: But I would still go to the Braid Montgomery game and then we who knew that it actually had a bearing on their future too, because Rock Chelowski was at the game as well and kind of walked away. I will have to ask you, as I talked to him, I want to know he said, you know, that first night when he had dinner with Jets and Barfield, he went walking till two am in Chicago. I don't know where the heck he walked for three or four hours in the city. It's a good walking city, but Anyways, back to the answer, I would say the Braid Montgomery homer or the home run by Carol off Rolison to beat the Cubs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, those are definitely two great moments in a very exciting season so far. And you were talking a little bit just now to about the clubhouse impact, you know what Davis Martin was saying, and I think it's worth talking a little bit about Will Vennible. You know, as obviously the manager upside the clubhouse. It's no secret that Venable has been pretty different from some prior White Sox managers. So for what you've seen, you know, when you've talked with him, and just you know, obviously covering the team, what is it about Venable that makes him different from those other managers the White Sox they've had.
Speaker 4: I love his accountability. I love his not laid back, but even Keel that's better than laid back. Even Keel approach Ember talking to one on one last year and he said how when he started just his first year, there were some things he wasn't doing that he eventually found out by talking to his players they wanted him to do. They wanted him to kind of set the tone for every series. So he's been doing that, and I think that he is just the perfect leader.
Speaker 1: I mean, they nailed that. They've had so many things.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they'll ever have a better week in the gats rebail unless they win the World Series and they have had this last week. But I think, you know, hiring Will was just the grand slam they needed at that point. He's the perfect kind of co pilot with Chris Getz and the front office and his staff. He's got his staff in there right now too. You know, he came in and nothing against the guys that are there before. They are were very good too, but he's got the guys he wants. And I just think his demeanor, his approach, his inclusive approach where it's not you know, his way or the highway. He listens to kind of everyone and just a good guy overall. But you know, he's tough too. I mean, if things happened, he addresses him so. But I think there's there's a sense of accountability from him that you know that there. I forgot which game it was, but there was a game they lost, and he maybe they ended up walking it off, but he said afterwards about yeah, I didn't put so and so in a good position.
Speaker 1: That's on me.
Speaker 4: I got a good bed and you believe it though you know, you don't look at it as like media talk.
Speaker 1: It's actually something that he believes in, something he follows through on. So excuse me. That has been a tremendous higher for the white sex. Tremendous.
Speaker 5: I think you mentioned it to the when you say, like the accountability, yes, but also like what you just said there, which is you can you can sense when he says something, you're like, oh, I believe it. When he says it's not just coach speaker, manager spig like, there's something about the way he says it. And again it's credit to him that makes me like, okay, I believe you actually believe what you're telling me right now, which goes a long way for fans.
Speaker 4: And he challenges these guys and then he's willing to adapt. He talked to I thought it was I don't know if I ever used it, but it's so great. I never used it as a story. But he talked recently about at the beginning of the year, when they didn't know a lot about Tristan Peters, they knew he could bunt so much to Jordan's glee, they bunted a lot with Tristan Peters and he was a he was a tremendous but he might might be the best butter in baseball.
Speaker 1: Whatever that gets you at this point.
Speaker 4: But then they started to see this guy can hit, you know, this guy can really hit the ball with authority, and they slowed down on the bunting with him and they'd let him swing away. And I think the same thing with Sean Burke. For a while, they thought because Burke's had struggles in the first inning, the opener and just you know the matchups too, there was an opener that benefited him. Now he's one of the best starters in the America League over his last six starts. No more opener. So you know, it's not a hard fast thing that he has. He believes in something, and if you show him otherwise, he's willing to adjust. But I agree with you, Jordan, that fans fans at this point, the Sacks fans have seen a lot and they know the difference between lip service first, the real McCoy and and Will Venabo is real.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And to follow up on something you had mentioned before about where Rock walked. Apparently someone in our chat said he walked all the way from Rush to the river, which is quite the lock.
Speaker 4: So JD that uh is it is a it's a good walking city though, it really is. If you're you know, you gotta be careful ever where you go, but it's a really good walking city.
Speaker 5: So and you know, speaking of rock and you had mentioned like, hey, until they win a World Series, it's going to be hard to have better weeks than what Chris Gets had this past week. I guess talk a little bit about, you know, just the current operation under Chris Gets. You know, there's been to talk about some of the changes made in the front office, maybe things you don't see as much on the field. You've been there for a long time. You've seen a lot of different managers, a lot of different rebuilds, rebuild two point oh three point zero for whatever number they've gone through, Like you've seen a lot. How is maybe what he's doing different than maybe what some of his predecessors had done as well?
Speaker 4: Well? I think first of all, the last rebuild under Rick and Kenny gets a lot of criticism because he only won two playoff games, but they did, you know, get to the playoffs in the in the COVID year in twenty and they did win the division by a good margin in twenty one.
Speaker 1: So you can't, I think I do this too much as well.
Speaker 4: You can't just as miss the last rebuild is, oh it didn't work, you know it did it didn't. Now, ultimately you want to win the World Series, right, or you want to get to the World Series, or you want to get to the Alcs. That didn't happen, and then guys did not pan out, whether it was injuries or underperformance or whatever it was. I think Chris has really he tore it down to as someone told me, you know, he kind of tore the house down to the studs and then realized the house had some rot and on top of that so he had to rebuild it even more. So he has just rebuilt everything, and you know, he's got a great infrastructure in there. I think he's done a great job of maybe the organization was getting a little insular, and he's hired some great guys who have a little bit of a connection to the Socks but are outside that have you know, Josh Barfield and Jin Wong and Gene Watson and Paul Yannish does a tremendous job as a minor league director. David Keller has been phenomenal on the international side. Mike Shirley, you know, has been there, but you know now in charge of the draft. So I just think it's a really good group together, and they focused on small things, you know, a performance side sports science that maybe weren't focused on as much in the past and has made a difference. I mean, ultimately, the guys have got to respond, right, and that's what this team has done. I mean, this is the only team in baseball that has not had a losing streak longer than three games, which is pretty amazing for a team that had three straight seasons of hundred plus losses. So that's their biggest thing right now. But I think gets is just from top to bottom build a stronger organization.
Speaker 5: It's nice to hear about some of the inside pieces of it too, like hey, you know, realizing, hey, you got to tear it down to the studs, which to your point, where can get it? And they did that too, but it was more so understandabay just tearing it down and repeating what I just watched happen isn't necessarily going to get a different result this time exit.
Speaker 1: And you have to understand too.
Speaker 4: And one of the other reporters, a veteran reporter, said to me a while ago, you know things it gets is getting a lot of praise now because the team is doing so well. People weren't raving quite as much about Chris last year when the team was on its team was thirty two and sixty five of the All Star break, right, even though you knew the younger guys either had just come up or.
Speaker 1: Were on their way.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean, winning is the cure off for everything, right. No one was crushing the last rebuild during twenty twenty and twenty twenty one. It was twenty two, and then twenty three of course went completely sideways. Then we won't even talk about twenty four, but uh it was and that was really under that was under Chris anyways.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think I win or lose.
Speaker 4: I just think he's done a good job of really strengthening the whole organization and looking beyond kind of just the surface, right.
Speaker 5: And I do remember when they first decided to hire him or to promote him. I guess you'll say it. He didn't have a lot of fans in the or friends in the fan base either. So it's it speaks to a lot of the change that he's been doing on Like you said, winning cures everything, Like it doesn't matter what everybody's initial reaction might have been to him.
Speaker 1: The wins are what.
Speaker 4: Winners and exciting baseball, right, And yeah, I understood why fans. I mean, I like Chris. I covered Chris when he was a player. Chris another another Michigan man. I had to get at least one Michigan reference in here. You know, he was Uh, I covered him. You know, it was O nine when he was he was named starting second basement in spring training, which I've joked about that that was the happiest I've seen him until they got the number one pick in the draft lottery last year that that surpassed it. But yeah, he was part of that last read build that didn't work right that ultimately, you know, he was the minor league director and some of those guys didn't pan out. So I get that fans are like, oh, geez, you know, we just switched over and now we're not even gonna do a search. But inside, I think people didn't think Chris was kind of the air apparent, and he's done a good job since he's taken over. I mean, even even during the losings. No one wants to go through what they went through in twenty four. Obviously that was a debacle, but even in the losing times, I think he's had a goal for the future. I think the future as maybe kind of a little bit surprising that I don't think he thought they'd be here in twenty six, maybe twenty seven for sure, twenty eights, but I don't think he thought they'd be sitting on July.
Speaker 1: Was state of the twentieth or the nineteenth gonna be in twenty tomorrow?
Speaker 4: One game up in the AL with sixty sixty four the Central sixty four games to play well, you.
Speaker 3: Know, And I think the biggest thing, and like I don't want to beat a dead horse onto this, but the biggest thing I always think of with Gets and what he's done with this organization is it doesn't feel like we're trying to replicate any other organization in baseball. It truly feels like Chriss came in with a vision of how he wants to run it, and he's brought in the guys to support that. It's not a situation where like say, when we jumped into our rebuild with rickhn and he immediately brought up kind of alluded to doing what the Cubs just did to build their World Series roster. We're not seeing that, you know, We're not seeing them trying to replicate what the Tampa Bay Rays are doing or replicate what the Baltimore Orioles just got done doing, which is really refreshing in a game of baseball where there's there's a lot of that around the league, where teams are kind of trying to copy what other teams are doing because they see success. And then by the time you realize it's not going to work, it's too late. You just burned five years.
Speaker 4: No, I agree, and I think things have gone his way, you know, I mean he got No one was sure that Venable would take this job, and you know, coming off the twenty four season, obviously, because he had turned down a couple other options to interview. I think the year before, right, I think it was the Mets in Cleveland he had turned down. No one was certain they would get that number one pick overall, which made a huge difference. And then all these guys they've called up in granted they're at the early even you know, a guy like Colson who's played a full season. Now, they're at the early stage of the career. And we saw some good things from Moncata and Jimenez and for sure, I mean Tim for God's sake, you know, at the earlyast age of their career. So there's a lot to go, a lot to develop. But what you've seen so far has worked for him pretty much across the maybe not across the board, but has this season across the board has worked for him.
Speaker 5: In one of those moves that you know you mentioned things working for him. One of those has certainly been Miguel Vargus. Could talk a little bit about the players on the field doing things as well as where we had just talked about kind of behind the scenes. I'll be one who has some tweets he probably should delete about Migal Vargas and the trade at that point, I have podcasts that I should probably delete about my opinion. He has made kind of a one to eighty I think maybe in fans' minds the very least, and developed in one of the team's most important players. What have you noticed about covering him over the past three season in terms of how he's changed both as a hitter but also maybe as a leader in the clubhouse as well.
Speaker 4: See, I think what you're saying both can be true, right, I mean when he came to the Socks. Now, granted he came to the worst team in baseball history by losses, he left from a team that was gonna win a World Series when he didn't get a ring for and I get that he was not happy, but he was not good, right, I mean you can say that the numbers back it up. I mean, it wasn't like he had forty five at bats. He'd played, you know what, close to one hundred and eighty hundred and seven, maybe even two hundred plate appearances that time.
Speaker 1: But he was I remember going.
Speaker 4: To talk to him at the end of that season they were in San Diego when they had broken the record, and just talking about looking into us is And even then he was he was always a nice guy, but even hesitant about talking, like, you know, let's just finish this out and move on. And I think he's put in the work and he's just a great dude. I mean, you know, it's funny he was talking. I remember him talking to me at Socks Best about he's friendly with Yamamoto and when Murakami signed, Yamamoto text him and said, hey, take care of my guy. He's a good dude and ah he's a pretty good hitter too, which he kind of understood that one, I think, and Vargus did exactly that. Like throughout spring training you saw those two, you know, kind of together. But I think everyone reached out to him and made him part of the group, my Drath and Colson and everyone else. But Vargas has just become a force, you know. I mean, he is a slugging force. And he told me early on last year when he was splitting time more, he knew he was a third baseman. He said he would be able to play handle that position if they put him there, and he has done just that. So you know, it's been a great story. And I mean everyone knows the image I wrote about this when he made the All Star team, the image of him sitting in the dugout after the Socks had lost their twenty first straight game in Oakland and looking just despondent, right, and why wouldn't you right?
Speaker 1: He wasn't he had just come to this team. They were terrible.
Speaker 4: He had left the Dodgers, the only team he knew and now, you know, you see him when the walk off home run against Detroit, going nuts as he's rounding the bases. So it's success well earned and well deserved. And he is I mean, there's a lot of leaders in that clubhouse. I think Davis because he's the quote unquote, well he is not quote unquote. He is the most white Sox service time of anyone at the big league level, which is kind of crazy. He's kind of the folk crum of that team, kind of the vocal leader. But there's so many in there do so many different things. You know, Bargas Mike Vassel's role has been you know, kind of immeasurable, but he's been, you know, so much fun to have around. But Bargas just has changed everything, and I think it's sustainable. You know, He's just been a great player. And I'm glad that it was interesting because the day that he got selected, we were in Cleveland and one of the first things he said was there should be more guys with me. So it was good that Murakami and Tristan Peters got to go with him to uh Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think in my brain I blocked out the twenty one straight losses. So you're saying that, I was like, oh, wait, they did do that. That wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 4: So there was a stretch that year and you don't want to keep you know, want to really go to this, but two things. They were four and forty one over a forty game forty five game stretch that year.
Speaker 1: And here's the stunning thing. You know, how good they've been at home this year?
Speaker 4: What are they twenty Well, they you know, they got it knocked a little bit by losing three to the unbeatable Red Sox.
Speaker 1: But I want to.
Speaker 4: Say they're twenty five and eight their last thirty three at home.
Speaker 1: They had a stretch they were one and twenty nine at home that year.
Speaker 4: That's almost unfathomable, right, I mean, you should be able to win like five. Easy for me to say, I don't play, but I mean, just out of law of averages and numbers, out of a thirty game stretch, you should win eight, ten at the least, right. So yeah, it was a year that I understand. If you want to Blackhawks, I think a lot of the socks. People and fans have blocked that season out at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that's that's it's a tough one. It's one that we're going to try to all forget as soon as we can. But I think what was a really good image, and it shows a lot of the guys who were selected the All Star Game this year particular, is that picture of the three of them just kind of walk in arm in arm. I think that just shows you know, maybe that was just for a photo op, but that shows pretty tight.
Speaker 1: Shows are tight tight.
Speaker 4: But you know, me being a little bit older than you guys and a little more you know, get off my lawn type of attitude. The first thing I thought is, I wonder if they told them to walk arm in arm into the outfield, you know, and that kind of thing to shoot the picture. That's the first thing that crossed my mind. But I'm suspicious like that. So even if they did, that's how they feel anyway, So it's it's not out of the ordinary. I'm sure they had done that some other time that they just didn't get a picture. But let's just assume they did that and they were the photographer happened to be right there just happen as it happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just let's just keep rolling with the positive vibes. It's not it's nice. Gotta have that around for one.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: So, you know, you kind of discussed about Miguel Vargas kind of bringing up the fact that like he's he's a third base when he feels comfortable there, and overall it's been a really good it's been a really good time over with him at third base.
Speaker 2: You feel really comfortable with him there.
Speaker 3: That kind of brings me to what is the organization's kind of evaluation of Coles Montgomery right now? Do you do they think do they see him right now is like the full time, long term shortstop because it's really shortstop er third base really feels like for Colson right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna I think.
Speaker 4: You know, when you when you first heard about he was first getting close to the majors, you heard a lot of third base just because of his size and that kind of thing. But I think, just like Miguel at third he's kind of owned shortstop right He's had a few moments here and there, but every shortstop does, and they've been more recently like the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: But I mean, you only have one guy at short right.
Speaker 4: So the thing that will and every organization I think back to, like the twenty sixteen Cubs as a team that I watched a decent amount of you gotta have versatility, right. How many positions did Chris Bryan play on that team that year, even though he was a third baseman. And I think that's one of the things that Socks very much value is guys who you know, Sam Antonaci will start and left, go to second, go back out to right, go back to left, you know. So I mean you have guys like that, So I think Colton is a shortstop until further notice. But you know, you got Chilowski, you got a bunch. I mean, you guys know, for the longest time they had the toughest time getting middle infield. Is now they're loaded with guys who appear to be front end middle infielders. I mean, Caleb Bonnomers killing in the mine you got to do at the next level. Billy Carlston just came back today. He's another one. You know, we can go as deep as Kyle Lode's and how your your own and that kind of thing. But they have a lot of options down there, and Colson is the guy doing it at the level that counts right now though, And he's been very good defensively and very steady I think overall at that position, and of course has a you know, forty five home runs and a little over one full.
Speaker 6: Season of baseball. Yeah, so kind of working our way around the infield. I mean, I guess we'll skip second base. I'm a big mindraft fan, but we can skip how Murakami he talked to about him a little bit in the beginning. But from you know, obviously we all can see how how effective is on the field. We can tell what a difference he makes, even just his name being in the lineup, even like his last week or so, he's not hitting that much, but you can just tell the impact he makes. But kind of off the field or in the clubhouse, what have you learned about Murakami this year? He kind of as a person as a teammate that you might not get just from watching a game.
Speaker 4: He reminds me of a bray you and that Jose braw had a very set routine, which most really good players have that and didn't like to deviate from it like if you wanted to talk to a bray you one on one, you would go to Billy Russo doesn'ch a great job in media relations and with interpreting everything. And you'd say him like on a Monday, I want to talk to Jose and then he'd get you like Wednesday or Thursday, which is fine as long as it's a steady thing. Mr Kami is the same kind of way. I mean, obviously he missed thirty five games, which is tough for him, but you know, he's got a whole separate set of media that's just covering him pretty much every day. You know, when Rikup was up for a little bit and at both of them, but it's basically him every day. We've learned that he's a big fan of the Midday, right that became an international story for a while there in spring training in the end of right before spring training started, it right after socks Fest, and he just fits in perfect. I will I will say this that he he never bought into this rebuild stuff you'd ask him in spring training about, you know, and he expected to win. He came here wanting to win, and I from what I understand, his team did win. But did not win consistently. So it wasn't like he came from a Japanese seemed that won like ten titles, you know. But he's just I don't understand how so many teams, because so many teams could have benefited from right. I understand that first base is a position that a lot of teams have guys set, and very talented guys set. But for what he ended up signing with the White t axing me what a great deal for both of them. For Murakami, what he thought was going to be kind of a lower pressure situation to come in and show how good he was, and he did that from the first three games of the season, right. And then for the Socks, it was a guy who has come in and helped their lineup, helped their presence, and opened up an area where they were pretty much barren, the Pacific rim just in terms of scouting, in terms of media attention, in terms of marketing, Brooks Boyer, I think he's been over there three times already, so he's racking up those frequent flyer miles with a trip from Chicago to Japan. But you know, before that, it was Shingo and Angucci tremendous dudes who had a hand in the five World Series, especially Gucci that year. Shingo was kind of a cult hero the year before with his frisbee and mister Zero and everything else, and then fukudome right was the only other guy and he barely He was there for twenty games or something like that. So I never really got to know him, nor Sox fans knew him more from playing against him across town. So I mean, he just changed the franchise overall. It's hard for me to say like his personality because we don't get you know, in spring training we got a little more interaction with him, we don't get as much during the season. Seems like a very focused, driven guy who believed this team was going to win. From the first moment he sat it the Conference and Learning Center rad Field and held up a pair of the White Sox. So I think he knew, you know, what he could do for this team, and he once he got to know this team, he really knew what they were about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you've seen there's this this picture that went viral this week of It's from Sean Burke's instaground but it's like Chase Mydrath and Murakami and somebody else. They're like shirtless on a boat eating pizza together.
Speaker 1: I saw that, I did.
Speaker 4: I guess they came back to Chicago right after the All Star Game, right, yeah, right, So, yeah, he's one of the guys. And credit to the not that they would do anything otherwise, but credit to the right. You know. I remember we were joking with my draft during spring training about he was trying to learn like a couple of Japanese words a day to you know, have a conversation or at least didn't understand it more. And they've made him feel part of the team, you know, which already had a really solid nucleus building since.
Speaker 1: He came in for sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so this has been you know, a pretty pretty good vibe podcast or topic so far. So kind of keeping that going, What would you say has been your favorite storyline or you know, favorite story to write, favorite story to cover this season outside of the team being good in general.
Speaker 4: There's been so many this year, which is different because the last couple of years, no offense to the guys who were playing hard, but you would kind of look for something before the game and then a lot of times just plug the score, especially in the end of you know, twenty four.
Speaker 1: Aside from when they were breaking the record, there wasn't a.
Speaker 4: Ton And the biggest thing is there were a lot of guys who were playing in you know, for their livelihood, but they weren't going to be a part of the Socks past that year, so it was kind of hard to build features or build stories. And then I mean just so many fun things like Ron Kittle getting married by Jerry Reinsdorf. That was tremendous. You know, the midat stuff just took off. That was tremendous. You know, some heart warning warming things. The young girl who did the I forgot what it's called the run around the bases, Mighty Melanie. I can't remember her last name, but she's battling a form of cancer and the players kind of embraced her. She was one thing I'll say about I noticed about Mura Comi too. He is tremendous with kids, tremendous, you know. I saw him talking to her. There was a game in San Diego where Gordon Beckham was filling in, and he's got two younger sons.
Speaker 1: I want to say, they're four and two or.
Speaker 4: Five and three, And I remember after a Friday night game he had brought them in and they talked to them, and mur Commy like knelt down tweet so he could be on their level, and they just looked at him like the giant is talking to us. You know, this is so cool, but I wish there was it something else I could just Vargas' story has been great, you know, just tremendous, so many good ones. I'm gonna probably hit myself after we get off this. I'm gonna say, like, oh, I thought a three more, but those are just some of them, and just the team itself, you know, the team itself has been I enjoyed talking to Chris in the off season for like thirty minutes about the whole process that got Murakami to Chicago. That was a great story to write with and he was very forthright, just as he was with Jesse Rodgers and the draft story there, but talking about how even at the winter meetings they didn't think they had a shot at him, and it came about like a week before the posting period. They had assumed that Friday night Will was in New York with his family, so Will was on at like twelve thirty in the morning. They finished, and there's no like leeway. You have to have everything done by the posting period. So Chris had to get some of his friends who were in the medical profession to help get the physical done right away. So just and then that was when Chris mentioned about how moone when they gave a tour of the facility, he said, you know, no bdet So they ended the midday. And that still, I think is one of my the fact that in talking to one on one in the spring training I found out that and this says you a little bit more about him as an athlete. His cheap food is ramen. That's his cheap food. Like most people would eat that is like uh, look at that and like, oh it's good, but it's too healthy. I'm like, no pizza, no hamburgers, Nope, Romen is his cheap food. So that was fun, so many fun. I mean, it's just been such a great year to write all this stuff, all the draft stuff. Talking to Mike Shirley, you know, when we were in Anaheim about a month or six weeks before the draft and hearing him break down the whole process and how things were, you know, leading up into that, and how they were looking not just for a guy who was great, but a guy who could help them win a championship. You know, there's a lot of great guys you can take at one one, but I think Chelawski has that extra edge.
Speaker 1: So I could go on and on.
Speaker 4: I know you don't want me to go on it, but I mean just that's just some of the things that that, you know, I can think of off the top of my head.
Speaker 5: You know, one guy I want to ask about out and you know, you bring up a lot of great stories and guys just contributing up and down the lineup. Actually, someone commented this in our chat too, about Sam Antonacci and some love that he gets from Socks fans, but maybe it feels like maybe he doesn't get the same attention.
Speaker 1: Around the league.
Speaker 5: I guess what have you heard from other beat writers about him or just the organization about how much they probably love him and some of the numbers he's been able to put up from the leadoff spots.
Speaker 4: People love Sam around the league, they asly and that was another fun story. I had talked to him about being hit by a pitch thirty nine times last year between all the different levels and how his mom got mad at him because she's like, you're gonna get hurt, and his attitude was like, well, you know, he's kind of like a really he's got a California attitude, but he's from downstate Illinois. Maybe maybe they're one of the same, who knows, but he he's from Springfield, right, So he said, well, you know, I told her she's wrong, and that's just his way of getting a base. And I think it is fun to see the battle between Anthony K and Sam Antonaci. Who's gonna have more hit by pitches before the years. They're tired at eighteen right now. But I mean he is the kind of player you have to have for winning teams. He just does when you say he does all the intangibles, it kind of maybe lessons what his ability is. But he you know, you saw him at that Moonshot on Friday. He's a good player too. I mean he's playing solid left field defense. And the guy started playing it in the basically the game before the Spring Breakout game and was frustrated in that Spring Breakup game when I talked to me after this because he had misplayed a couple in that game, but he has you know, made more, he has made more beneficial plays and had plays go awry on him so far. So yeah, I agree with you. I think, you know, should be more in the talk of Rookie of the year if that even matters to him. But essential guy to that lineup, guy you cannot lose because he does so much and does so much well yeah, I mean he is. He is just a constant presence.
Speaker 3: He can tell throughout that entire that entire clubhouse as somebody who everybody just kind of rallies around. We actually, we got really lucky during fest and we actually got to talk to him just kind of as a quick interview, and I remember asking him just just my basic read off the kid was how big is the chip on your shoulder? And like you can just kind of see a little bit of intensity in his eyes. He kind of looked at me and he's like, I don't have I don't have a chip on my shoulder, Like there's there's none, And might have been one of the biggest lies I think I've ever heard. But I love that he plays with that attitude and he has this attitude that he doesn't have this giant chip on his shoulder because you see it every single time he's out there and he plays because he has always just gun like guns to the wall every single time he's out on the field, and I think, I think the entire team responds to it.
Speaker 4: This is one quick side note is I was talking to him in a group after the final game of the first before I'll start break, when they beat the A's nine to one, and I mentioned to him that they were thirty two and sixty five last year and he didn't He's like, really, he had no clue or that bad. And then I said to him, you know, with sixty seven games left, how about any started like kind of cackling a little bit, and I'm like, okay, I've asked, like maybe some weird questions that pass, but that was And then he said, yeah, sorry, man, the whole six you know, the whole sixty seven, think the whole six seventh things. So clearly the pressure is not getting to the White Sox at least at this point in July.
Speaker 1: That's for sure.
Speaker 3: That's great, I guess outside of the good vibes here because I feel like this has to be the big question that really has to be asked with how we feel with how the organization currently feels around this, about this core, about how well they've played this year. What do you think their mindset is going into this deadline, Like do they feel like they owe they owe it to this current clubhouse to you know, get some reinforcements, get some pitching help, whether that be in the rotation, the bullpen, or you know, I think I think all of this would take both. But where do you think this front office kind of stands, because you know, you don't want to chance the idea of maybe breaking up you know what you have in the clubhouse currently, but with a competing team that might have a chance here, does this front office take into consideration like really making a big move to kind of speed things along with this rebuild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think Chris has said that, right, Chris has said that they've earned the right to be considered contenders, and they are contenders.
Speaker 1: They're not even contenders, they're a playoff team.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So, but again, I think he's so meticulously built this and gone through the struggles to get to this point. They're not gonna drop everything just to have a shot to you know, maybe win the AL.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've only win the years ahead of. That's one of my biggest things about but I don't like rebuilds is you only have the season ahead of. And you saw with Kansas City, right, Kansas City a couple of years ago spent wisely in the offseason. They went from fifty six wins to eighty six wins. I think they won a playoff series and they haven't really got close to that and the two years after, so you never know, You're never guaranteed. You saw that with the Socks rebuild right where. I mean, the Cubs rebuild had a you know, a great a seminole championship and never got back to the World Series again after that, So you just never know. You never know what's going to happen. So I don't think he'll tear apart in the team. I do think, as you saw with the Jacob Gonzalez move, there are certain players that he's looking at that but I think they're looking for guys for the most part who can help them now and help them in the future. So I mean, you know, examples of let me give examples, because who knows what it's going to be, you know, But like a red debt meurs comes to my guys who have contractual status beyond this year. So we'll see what happens. We'll see what he does. And you know, he's very aggressive. He's made some great I mean, the pro Scouts deserve huge praise this year for some of the guys they've added that quote unquote look on the margins and have been huge additions. You know, Grit Chick Derek Hill was tremendous and still doing well for Philadelphia. They've just been some you know, Brian Hudson another guy they brought in, they got rid of and they brought back and look, you know, he's been as valuable as almost anyone in the bullpen this year. So I think they're gonna remember also they're going to get at some point Tanner McDougal is going to come out and be part of that bullpen. Shane Smith is in the mix as another starting possibility. He was the opening day starter, so he wasn't All Star last year.
Speaker 1: The ability is there.
Speaker 4: And then you know, I do think Hagen's missed and I know he struggled in his one inning tonight, but his biggest thing is throwing strikes, and I think if they can get him to a point like Colson last year where he's throwing strikes, you may see him as you know, kind of a bullpen or kind of a you know, short starter bullpen type of guy for the rest of the year. So there is some help within the system. I do think Chris will go outside to help this team in that sense too.
Speaker 5: I like the controllable piece of it. I think that's kind of where I think all of our heads have been out of times. And I know your six seven stories, like, all right, you gotta have guys who are just fit in that clubhouse too, apparently, because it's apparently a very unique clubhouse that they've got.
Speaker 1: Going on there.
Speaker 4: It's a great cut, you know, even last year. I wrote a story last year when they were in Tampa. Out of the break they went, you know, six and one. They swept, the Pirates killed, the Pirates, didn't get skeens, but they crushed. The Pirates won two or three at Steinbrenner and then beat the Cubs beat just pummeled him Naga in that first game at raid Field, and I wrote about how they celebrated every win, even last year when they only had sixty of them We'll always just preach that that every one of the major leagues is a big thing and you got to celebrate it. And they're really good at celebrating group things and individual things overall.
Speaker 1: You can see it the dog.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're not the only team that has fun, obviously, but it's just been a different brand of baseball since really this, you know, after the All Star break last year, but even more so this year with all the guys they've added in.
Speaker 5: So Mark, before we let you go, this has been awesome. First of all, we do have one last thing we want to do.
Speaker 2: Ok.
Speaker 5: I was told it could not be a Michigan n D football debate, so I will defer away from that. You've been covering the team since two thousand and three. I don't know if you've ever heard of sporkle, but there are those are like quizzes that can be made. We wanted to see, you know, you are a fountain of information. We wanted to see if you could remember the opening day lineup, who played where? From the first team you ever covered the two thousand and three Whites.
Speaker 1: You think you can do it.
Speaker 5: So the thing you asked, what year I started? Yeah, you know, I I snuck it in there. The first question also said you started in two thousand and three. I was a little sneaky.
Speaker 4: About it, but I think you can do it. I can't, but I'll okay. So first base is Canerco.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: Okay, DH's big heard Frank Thomas yep. Right field is Maglio. Left field I think is Carlos Lee it was third base would be Joe Creedy. Maybe this is easier than I thought. Center is Aaron rowand UH catcher I think is a Levo? Is that right?
Speaker 1: It's not a Levo, not Alevo, son of a gun Well. Starting pitcher is Burley.
Speaker 5: Burley was the starting pitcher.
Speaker 4: That that's a safe answer for like nine of nine years, right. Who would be the uh second and short second and short shortstop is Valentine?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Second base is way too early forgets. Who is the second basement on that team?
Speaker 1: You gotta give me credit. I did pretty well here.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say I would give you a pass if you did not get the second basement. When I put this together, it's like, who was that.
Speaker 4: That would get indiference to my glory here? These are some pretty seminal names in White Sox history right that you shouldn't forget. Why, uh catch, no catcher is not four dice. He was gone already at that point. I think I don't really cover Brooks four days. Uh geez, who is the catcher?
Speaker 7: It's not a Levo Sandy Almer. It is Sandy Allen Sandy Almer. Okay, oops, so that just sec on the second. It's not Roberto Almer. He got traded for in that season.
Speaker 1: So was he got so so.
Speaker 5: Roberto Alomar replaced this guy as the starting second basement. This guy started about seventy games or so.
Speaker 1: I should know this. And I did give me the initials dj.
Speaker 3: D J.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, not Darren Jackson, not that DJ.
Speaker 2: I thought this was the one I struggled heavily on when I did this.
Speaker 1: My goodness, this is terrible. I can't remember it. I'm going to any one more clue. Is there any other clue you give me? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Let me pull up his uh baseball reference and see where else he played. He played for the Padres, the Reds. He came up with the Yankees. His first season was nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's getting me, Yes, I can't believe you got it. That's it. That's it. D Angelo leventis there we go.
Speaker 2: Believe you got that.
Speaker 1: When you said the Yankees that got me. That that did it for me right there. That's incredible and in two twenty five.
Speaker 5: Times and you're like, oh, I don't know, flew through most of them and needed one hint for D'Angel.
Speaker 4: But what I remembered like that three team was pretty good. I think they finished with whatever they were. I remember they were leading down in April and then they lost. They split with the Twins, and the Twins went off after that. That was the Paniagua series, which didn't work out so well. And then so I remember once I once I said, oh I can't do it that, I'm like, oh wait a second, these are still all the good guys who were part of it. I think Rowan might have Rowan and Creedy might have gone back down that year, or was it was it earlier.
Speaker 1: Rowan and both both Rowing and.
Speaker 4: Creedy you look up, both Growing and Creedy came up to the majors, went back to the minors, and then came back and started.
Speaker 3: Because I's gonna say, I'm pretty positive and O three Creedy would have been kind of bounce and bouncing little bit I was. I was surprised when I guess Creedian he was the guy because I knew that.
Speaker 4: Those are the examples they always sorry, those are the examples they always give when they send guys down. It's like, well, Creani and Rowan went down and look what they did. You know, so I'm pretty proud of myself quit an accomplishment.
Speaker 5: That was impressive. I was six years old for that team. Also Sidney Brown and our chat also new Dan Angela Jmenez. When I put that together, I don't know, it was AI like getting me on this one. I wasn't sure impressive, but that was impressive. No, Mark, thank you so much for your time. I guess most people know where to find you, like the chat clearly has loved having you here. If there's anything you want to plug, some of your latest work, anything like that, the floor is yours being out.
Speaker 4: I'll be in the intense heat of Texas for the next three days, leaving tomorrow morning, but you can find me at Twitter at Scott Murkin, Chaisacks dot com, MLB dot com. My newsletters drop on Wednesdays and Saturdays, so sign up and following.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me. It's been a real pleasure, yo, and.
Speaker 2: Those are always worth a read.
Speaker 3: Man, It's always a pleasure having you on here, Scott, I mean even gutting a big Michigan man and all.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to overlook it.
Speaker 5: I'm so willing to overlook it, just because you're such a good dude.
Speaker 1: But not too many people i'd overlook it for.
Speaker 3: I'm willing to overlook it considering I have to be on this podcast with a notre dame mark every single every single one.
Speaker 4: Well see, that's that would be a tougher thing for me to do. But the same thing for Jeorde Jorans. It's a good dude that I can eh, No, I can overlook it.
Speaker 3: But on that note, ladies and gentlemen, that's all we have this week for the Socks on thirty fifth podcasts. Again, big ups to Scott Murkin from MLB dot com for being on here.
Speaker 2: Be sure to subscribe to.
Speaker 3: The podcast on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, and everywhere else to get your podcasts. A big shout out to the YouTube chat for being really.
Speaker 2: Active in this one.
Speaker 3: Obviously, when we have someone with the celebrity of Scott marking on here, just naturally brings in all the viewers. Also be sure to check out the website Socks on thirty fifth dot com I'm as well as following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as soas on thirty fifth to stay up to date with Yo Chicago White Sox. This has been Duke Coughlin, joined by Jordan Slowski, Nick Hour and of course Scott markin We'll be back well, Me and Jordan Me, Jordan and Nick will be back. Scott will be traveling with the team next week as we cover another week of White Sox baseball.
Speaker 2: Thank you and go Socks, Go
Speaker 1: N D, and go Socks, Go Blood.