Speaker 1: Hello, gorgeous. It's La La Kent. Welcome to Untraditionally Laala. Hey babe, Welcome to the.
Speaker 2: Bonus episode of Untraditionally Lala. I had a listener call in and leave a message that I think a lot of parents who have gone through a separation, divorce, custody situation. I'm going to insert it and then we're going to discuss and I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Hey Lala, my name is Jessica, and I just wanted to leave a message because your podcast has truly helped me through some of the hardest years of my life. I've been divorced for homost four years now, and so much of what you talk about resonates with me. Like you, I feel I'm not really co parenting. I'm parenting alongside someone who is completely apps and emotionally and impossible to communicate with. Every concern to bring up has immediately turned into me attacking him instead of us working together for the kids. I have an eight year old son and a five year old daughter. My daughter is finally at the age where she's able to express her feelings and it's heartbreaking. Exchanges are often full of tears, so I'm usually one comforting her, redirecting her, and helping her process or emotions. Our dad just sits there and says nothing. Shortly after we filed for divorce, he got another woman pregnant within a month. Since then, there has been so many cross boundaries. His girlfriend has inserted herself into situations at school, and my daughter often comes home telling me how mean she is to her. But when I try to address it, I'm told I'm causing problems or attacking him. Then suddenly my daughter comes back with new toys or gifts the next week, and it feels like they're trying to buy her affection instead of addressing the actual issues. There's so many days that I feel completely alone in this experience. Listening to you talk honestly about navigating narcissic behavior, heartbreak, motherhood boundaries, and finding yourself again as they you feel seen in a way that very few things have. Your podcast reminds me that I'm not crazy, I'm not alone, and there are so many other women walking through this too. I could ask you one question, it would be this, that's the biggest one of self care or self preservation you found that helps you keep you sane while dealing with high conflict coparent situation. Yeause some things, I feel like I'm carrying this emotional weight of everything and I'm still trying to figure out how to protect my peace. Thank you so much for being vulnerable, honest, and creating a space where women like me needs You'll understand. I appreciate you so much. Thanks.
Speaker 2: So this has so many different layers because at the very beginning, remember I'm five years out, so I have a thirty thousand foot view.
Speaker 1: I've had a lot of time.
Speaker 2: To process and discover what works what doesn't work. I've been in contact with many different family lawyers who have kind of given me the lay of the land, what's acceptable, what isn't. And it is one of the toughest roads to navigate co parenting. And there is a point in time where you have to throw your hands up and say this person is impossible to co parent with, and in order to protect my peace, I will parallel parent with them. Now, parallel parenting versus co parenting means that you do not necessarily work together. It's two very separate households. There's very little communication unless it's necessary. MYX and I pay for an app that we communicate through If you don't want to do that, you can you stick to just email because I know what's acceptable in court, right Like text messages don't really hold up. So that's why I went for the route of ofw which is our family wizard.
Speaker 1: I think the biggest thing is your piece.
Speaker 2: If you can learn to disconnect from this person and know that you are simply an energy source when you pop off, when you engage, when he gets you riled up, he has officially plugged in and now you're fucked. If it's not when you read his messages and he wants to call you a liar or you're causing problems, only acknowledge the things that are absolutely necessary. It's not your job to go back to I'm not a liar, I'm not just trying to cause problems. Stick to the facts about the child and leave the insults alone. Don't take them personally this person, and it's easier said than done. Like I remember, my entire household, including my mom and brother, were heavily affected when we were at the height of the custody situation. So the way that you conquer the peace is really being able to look at messages or communication with him and try to hone in on the things that actually matter, right, because I remember going back and forth on ofw just insanely and it was just such a fucking waste of time. I would have a more productive conversation with a brick wall. So leaving it just very simple, don't give him a lot, because again, you don't want him to be able to plug into you. With the girlfriend's situation. Oh, you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Remember this mom.
Speaker 2: When Ocean was little, she had really bad ezema and we were taking her off of like formula and things like that and implementing the whole milk. And I had sent him an ofw letting him know, like what we use at our house and what's best for her skin and all of these things. Well, the nanny reaches out to me and says that the new girlfriend had put together a grocery list, and she said that Ocean's skin needs to get used to other detergents and that she'll be fine drinking you know whatever other milk. She was basically saying, Ocean doesn't need those things, like this is what we're having and Ocean will get used to it.
Speaker 1: Ocean was very little when the nanny told me this. I did go buck wild, but I think you have.
Speaker 2: To really lay down the law of this is what is expected. When my child is over there, she is communicating with me, we have open dialogue. If I hear that she is being mistreated, I will have to take a different route and try to make it not threatening, because if you go to court, you don't want to threaten. I mean, I've learned a lot since the beginning of my custody situation, but really, chat GBT can to definitely help you out, Like this is what I want to say. Put it in legal terms, and just make sure that you continue having open dialogue and letting your child.
Speaker 1: Know that like you're safe at this house.
Speaker 2: She's gonna get older and kids clock when someone's trying to buy their love, like you don't have to tell them their love is being bought. They learn the difference between someone spending time with them and being nice and someone buying them shit and disappearing.
Speaker 1: She's going to get used to that.
Speaker 2: So when I was dealing at the very beginning with all of this, my I really leaned deep into my faith because I knew that what was going on was way bigger than me. And once you realize you don't have control over something, it is very freeing because just people by nature, especially when it comes to the most vulnerable piece of you, which is your heart also known as your children, are involved, it's hard to not have full control. So I would say the Serenity prayer over and over and over again, and I would as I would say it, which for those of you who don't know what it is, it's God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. And then I would list the things I couldn't change, the courage to change the things I can what I can change, I would list them off, and the wisdom to know the difference, what is the difference between the two, and I would just loop on that over and over again. Then I would take sage and listen to this song by Lauren Daegel, which is trust in You, and it would talk about when you're not moving the mountain, that I need you to move, when you won't part the waters, and basically saying like I'm going to trust in your plan.
Speaker 1: So I would do that.
Speaker 2: I staged and then I light my Palo Santo and I would do it in the apartment bathroom and I would be sobbing during the Laurendego one, and then I'd turn on Break My Soul by Beyonce and Palo Santo.
Speaker 1: And I'm just look in the mirror and aren't.
Speaker 4: You will not bring my.
Speaker 3: Can?
Speaker 5: I also bring up one song that I feel like gave you a shitload of power.
Speaker 4: What one?
Speaker 5: I think it's Taylor Swift, but it's strong enough to kill a man. That when you were going through your worst times. I remember being in the range Rover. That's how long ago this was, yeah, and you turning that on and I would see a change in your demeanor like you felt like you were you were on your back, and right when that song came on, you would just see you. You would even like get up in the car and lean forward. I was like, Oh, this bitch is up, she's ready to fight that. So that song, I will say, just for me, turned you around to cat ice, sharp enough to kill a man. Whatever that one is that I feel like turned you into a beast.
Speaker 1: Oh and then when they talk about the egg wife.
Speaker 4: That you're thickest thieves.
Speaker 2: Now the thieves, she looks so pretty, Oh so good.
Speaker 4: No, I remember that really being a turnaround song for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think having a really good, like nighttime routine and before you go to bed, I highly recommend too magnesium to Hilarian root, baby yourself, give yourself a facial. Remember this is not your forever. Remember that you are powerful. And I know that this sounds so cheesy and so corny, but I would have to sit and look at myself in the mirror and watch myself sobbing and looking so broken and then having to say, now it's time to like put your fucking war paint on, because you're not gonna to take me out when it comes to my.
Speaker 1: Babies, like I will fuck your shit out.
Speaker 2: And you have to get into that mindset and find your good song, say that serenity, prayer, find whatever higher power. I don't care if it's a tree outside, you find it and you go. You're gonna be my saving grace when I'm feeling weak, I'm gonna need you to take over and be there to support me. And it changes everything I'm telling you without and I would recommend on hard days, don't drink. I'm not telling anyone to get sober. You're having a hard time and you're like, I need a cocktail. It makes everything so much worse. It heightens every emotion and then the next day get ready to want to drive your car off a cliff.
Speaker 4: YEA highly recommend.
Speaker 2: On the days that are good, crack open the wine, have a good time.
Speaker 5: The bad days alcohol, yes, get the placebo if you need.
Speaker 1: That is my advice.
Speaker 2: I think remembering nothing is forever. The bad times pass, but the good times also passed. So when you have the good days, I just relish in them and be grateful.
Speaker 1: Practice gratitude.
Speaker 2: When when you're in the gutter and you're like I am, at my wits end, try to think of the things that are going right in your life. And I think the biggest one is focusing on health with everything that my mom's been going through.
Speaker 1: Knowing that when everyone around you is healthy, you have life by the balls. Everything else is going to work itself out.
Speaker 2: And then I think the most one of the most important things too is finding your support system. I was fortunate enough to have my mom quit her job, leave her whole life behind, move out to be with me and watch ocean while also getting me on my feet and finding my new normal, which I love you for that, Mom. And then Easton followed shortly after, and I just had like I had my pod. That's for those of you who haven't watched vander Pump Rules, like my pod. I think of us as like orcas. No one leaves the pod, you just add to the pod. So if you don't have the luxury of being near family, find your close circle who you're safe with, and you can just pass the rock to. Because you guys saved me in so many of those moments.
Speaker 4: We're happy we could be available and do that. You were very strong. I hope you know that.
Speaker 1: I felt like I was on autopilot. I didn't even know how I was getting anything done.
Speaker 4: The autopilot. Hey, whatever you gotta do to get through I don't fucking care. Yeah you did it.
Speaker 2: I season for everybody else in the same thing, if you've got a fucking I like autopilot.
Speaker 4: Like, as long as you get through it, there's no right or wrong way.
Speaker 1: I agree with you get through it.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 1: Season ten of vander Pump Rules.
Speaker 2: I think I'm so fond of it because I feel like it quite literally saved my soul. Like I was in such a dark place and it gave me a sense of normalcy and somewhere to be and somewhere where I could share my feelings and what I was going through and my disdain for somebody, and I felt very heard and.
Speaker 1: Just filming all of that season.
Speaker 5: No, what a beautiful thing to feel like you can do that, Like they made you feel.
Speaker 1: Comfortable, Yeah, I felt like going home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then it was a place where other people were going through a lot too, so you it took you away from it took you out of self and made you focus on other people's hard times, and that articipate in that conversation.
Speaker 5: That also being said, Yeah, taking yourself out of self is like a huge thing that that you know, sobriety and AA has brought me because there's times where like I am thinking about myself, I'll make a call to not even my sponsor, just to somebody in the like community, and I'll just be like, how are you, and then they tell me like little things that have happened to them, and then I'm out of self and then by the time you hang up, you're like, I was worried.
Speaker 4: About my shit, okay, And it just helps. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that saying so much. My mom just said, when you lose yourself, you find yourself. You told me that at a really young age and that always stuck with me.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna start running with that one. I'm gonna lose everything I know, I'll find it.
Speaker 2: And you're just gonna find who you are. But it does I mean custody and co parenting situations. I think it's one of the most difficult because your children are at play and you have zero control. And then when you enter the family court system. That's why I try to tell people this when they think, think you go into that system and everything's just based off of logic, I'm like, you need to wake up very quickly because it is scary in there and very cruel. And if you don't come correct with zero, you have to disassociate and disconnect from your own child. You have to go in there and talk about them like your heart is not involved at all, or else you're looked at as scorned and unhinged and emotional and you're slapped on the wrist if you if you care in that way, in an emotional because you're supposed to care for your child in those ways.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then you when you get into court, you can't. Okay, Yeah, but it's and it's true, Like I've seen you go through it and it is. So it's like the parent that you're supposed to be you are penalized for in court.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, you have to be very careful about what you say and how you say it. And I also it's a tough pill to swallow when you think there's some person sitting in a chair that's going to decide what is best for your child when they don't even know what their face looks like, they don't even know their name, you're a case.
Speaker 1: No, not only that best for my child.
Speaker 4: They don't know you, they don't know the dad, they don't know anything.
Speaker 5: They're literally seeing what's in front of them and making a hard guess. And to me, that needs to be changed. Yeah, we have what isn't it CP CPS. Yeah, it's like, okay, if we're going into the family court, why can't we have CPS coming and dissecting each home and physically seeing what is best for the kid because.
Speaker 2: There's so many people, and I learned in family court unless there is blood on the ground, I'm like, so we're not trying to prevent anything.
Speaker 1: No, you want to catch after it's done.
Speaker 4: Trauma. It's a really fucked.
Speaker 2: Up system, and you have to be strategic and people have to be knowledgeable. And I tell people all the time, you got to be and I am a broken record, but you have to be so careful about how you who you have children with.
Speaker 1: I wasn't willing to take the risk.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: I was way too fucking scared.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: And then there are days with Sosa I'm like, what, I would go to hobo? Someone else is WEAKOD, so you're still here.
Speaker 4: I would.
Speaker 1: I'm just joking. But she's a lot.
Speaker 4: Color on the she colored on a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh, I learned what moss means more. Yeah, I don't know any Spanish and I didn't know it. Isn't that a little more piquito moss? Yeah? Yeah, okay, but my kids love speaking Spanish and Sosa primarily speak Spanish.
Speaker 1: As me, and I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: What that is, Mama mess And I'm like, oh, more, she's more, mom, mama, more, this is hands right.
Speaker 4: More for.
Speaker 2: Well, Cynthia's consent, but I think for Ocean or Sosa's second birthday, I'm gonna have it themed Miss Lisa because my daughter Sosa squeals. For those of you who don't know who Miss Lisa is, it's freaking beautiful. My child when she comes on the TV is the happiest.
Speaker 4: She was like this and before because he goes like yeah, and then he goes deep dery dee deep deity, and she yeah, goes like this.
Speaker 5: She can't wait, and then she look at you and go Issa.
Speaker 2: In Spanish and English, she counts to five. In Spanish, she sings about how the cow goes moo.
Speaker 4: In Spanish, she points to her head and it.
Speaker 2: Says she knows all of her body parts. In English and Spanish, I'm like so proud. I'm so proud.
Speaker 5: I'm so proud that I might start learning. No, I have to I have to do a lingo.
Speaker 4: Here we come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's over your head. You you shoot yourself in the foot before you even try anything. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm just realizing that, yeah, you anything that's hard.
Speaker 1: You're like, I can't do it.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 1: Your parents needed to push you more.
Speaker 4: It's not told.
Speaker 1: Me if I don't like it, quit, Can I tell.
Speaker 5: You this your This is This is how I know that she doesn't like it, because even in room mom, she would need somebody else, because she would always go, I just can't do it alone, and it's like, no, you can't. Why as a room mom, do you know how you succeed.
Speaker 1: Failure to decorate the doors? Oh, it wouldn't have looked like h G t V door.
Speaker 5: So Mom was just taking all the credit while Kristen did the whole door.
Speaker 2: Your uh, mid year resolution should be I can do hard things.
Speaker 1: You need to start saying that I do it. You do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, peanut, Butter, I do it.
Speaker 1: I do it.
Speaker 2: Tying your shoe, I do it.
Speaker 4: She did do it. I did it.
Speaker 2: She was opening her Perry a Ken when I walked in the door and she looks at me like this, and I was like, you can do it.
Speaker 4: I know she's going to give it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm not opening.
Speaker 4: That can for you, Lisa. No one's watching you.
Speaker 1: It always feels like somebody. It shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: I almost killed Lisa at the airport yesterday. Let me tell you something, Mom, it's going to be hard to hear. You're not that important. You're important to us. No one's watching you. They're all worried about what they're doing. That's what I tell myself talking to everybody, just to let you know. Everybody is their own main character in their story. No one gives a shit about what you're doing, what I'm doing, and I have to constantly tell myself, like I'm walking and people are looking at me, and I'm like, they're really not even looking at me. They just then guess what they'll go and look at the next person. Like when I'm belting on the freeway, I'm like, people are probably watching. I'm like, people are trying not to crash on the freeway.
Speaker 3: Law.
Speaker 4: No, I know, when's the last time you're looking in for you? Never? I'm just driving.
Speaker 1: Ever, no one's watching you, Mama, you do you boo.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys for listening to the bonus episode of Untraditionally La La. I'm going to catch you on Tuesday for my new podcast with Sally Carson called Sex Unlocked, Don't Listen with your Children, Wednesday for a regular old episode of Untraditionally Lala, and Thursdays at nine pm an Unlikely Affair with Myself and Amber Children.
Speaker 4: Don't Listen with your children or any of these Yeah, probably not right.
Speaker 1: Love you guys.
Speaker 2: Bye,