Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory. Foul Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sadev Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic Patrick. Jed Hoyer does not like the phrase going all in. He's not one to you know, it was theo Epstein's quote if not now when I don't think that that's Jed Hoyer's mentality exactly. But the way he behaved on Sunday and Monday right before the deadline, he clearly believes in this team. He was extremely aggressive and he comes away with four pitchers, two added to the staff, one bat missing reliever that is under control through twenty thirty adapth piece in the minors, in the right handed bench bat. I mean, that's everything that Cubs need. I started thinking right handed bench bat as we kept hearing shaw injury news that they don't really know when he's back. But it wasn't like our primary focus. But that's this is this team is built out pretty well right now. And Jed Hoyer, I mean, he takes a lot of criticism for last deadline, for saying things like intelligence spending, for his GM saying telling our buddy Jesse Rogers last year that you know, they got to think about twenty thirty two as well, that none of that stuff seemed to be on their mind. They were extremely aggressive on Monday.
Speaker 2: Jed may not like the phrase all in, but he is the one who told us five years ago at the deadline, there's no reason to go halfway. And this was a pretty robust trade deadline. This roster looks pretty stout right now. It's interesting timing with the Yankees leaving town and the Dodgers comeing in. And I think you and I both know I have known Jed for a very long time, and we have been hearing this for a while, just how aggressive he's been, how much he believes in this team, how he's kind of grown into more of a THEO role within the front office, not just in terms of title, but also kind of trusting his instincts, having conviction, coloring outside the lines a little bit. And I mean, we look up today, this is a much better team than it was Sunday morning. We're recording here Monday night, and we've talked about Kevin Gossman in the previous episode, and I think this first SEC Clay Holmes go, why is he a great fit for this Cubs team?
Speaker 1: I mean he's a perfect fit for this Cubs team because he gets a ton of ground balls, and I mean we watch just the way they're playing defense overall right now. I mean I can name all the stats. I looked it up. I don't think I realized how much better they are than every other team by the advanced metrics. But any number you want to look at any of those advanced metrics that you like, they are significantly better than every other team defensively. And then you have a guy like Clay Homes that just gets missus barrels and puts it all the ground all the time. He just feels like a really perfect fit for this for this team, and someone that when he was healthy, before he broke his leg, was already looking good for the Mets. And now like it just seems like this is a real like a guy that can start game one, game two, whatever you want, you got Gosman could start game one, game two. I think they have four guys that you could probably are they aces? Are they studs? You know? I wouldn't put them in that category. I think some people, I mean Gossman was there at one point. But I mean, four guys, if you're including Boyd and Shoda, that I think you'd feel comfortable starting game one of a playoff series. They're not Trek Skoubel, but these are really good pictures. And that's that's four guys. That's a ton of depth. You're pushing probably a sad and Ray to the bullpen. David Peterson's you're five, Edward Cabrera's coming back at some point. Maybe they'll go with six man, maybe they'll start doing different things. I don't know, but like good problems to have, it's what we I think we talked about this yesterday when we were recording the most recent podcast after they got Gosman. But if they basically our point was if they pulled this off, like they may have some really fun to decisions to make, and it looks looking like they will. We'll see who gets healthy. But that's that's I mean, suddenly, like and we know, good offense, great defense, great offense. It's by war, it's the best offensive baseball. And now they have the pitching depth. You gotta like the way this team looks right now. And that's without it, I mean, forget about world series odds. Forget about the division lead, like, yeah, it's gonna be hard with that first round. They're likely going to have that. I think Jed talked about. You know, we'll see what happens. They're not out of the division, but you have to like where they sit right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this should be, you know, a ton of insurance against some sort of late season collapse. You start from there. I think you at least slightly raise the possibility maybe they could catch the Brewers, Like I don't think they will, but yeah, I think you give yourself a chance to do that, and if not, you're certainly better equipped if you have to win four playoff rounds to win a World series, Like that is what this does. We talk about payroll a lot when the Cubs don't spend to their capabilities. I mean, adding Gosman, Holmes and David Peterson in late June, that's like a fifteen million dollars added to payroll for three starting pitchers who combined have made forty playoff appearances in their career. So it's like a significant upgrade there, just you know, raising the floor, raising the ceiling as well. And I think this is kind of a moment. I think the headline on the athletic we put was like this is the moment Jed Hoyer's been waiting for, Like this is his team. You know, he went through the twenty one cell off, he went through some rebuilding years. He picked his guys in free agent. See, he overhauled scouting and player development. And I think, well, I think you wrote about this. We'll get into the next segment. Just like they've created more options for themselves as an organization just by building everything up to where they could be one of those like instant trade deadline winners. When the pundits and talking heads go over what just transpired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they you know, they would have loved to have gotten that under control starter. We'll talk about that as well, but gave us some solid talents. Let's touch on that real soon, but real quickly. I just wanted to touch on the other two guys that they picked up. We didn't get a ton on Braxton Garrett, like he it just sounds like he's depth right now, he's gonna be in the minors. Doesn't sound like he's coming up right away. Nice to have that option. They've liked him for a while. They went and got him while they could. Maybe he's he's a part of the puzzle next season. I mean he likely is a part of the puzzle. Well next season. Maybe we see him this season. Ryan Zephyr John from the Angels, I haven't watched I don't remember watching this guy. I probably did watch him, and I just don't remember him. I remember when I was looking at Angels pitchers just to kind of be like, who do they have because we know they were one of the obvious sellers. I saw his like strikeout numbers. I was like, damn, this guy's good. Probably not available because he's you know, under control for so long, hefty price, but the dude, missus bats, he's got stuff like this is what they wanted, you know, they wanted someone nasty at the back end of the bullpen. I think it really helps and we'll see who gets healthy among Palencia, Harvey, Ben Brown, a few others right Justin Steele, whoever else, Hoby Milner's coming back, all those guys. But bullpen could suddenly be a strength by September. We'll see. They did enough to make you really, you know, intrigued by how things could look by September. Obviously, October, let's take a quick break and then talk about a couple of big names that were traded away.
Speaker 3: This is that time of year, aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 4: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees Cubs coming up. Where's Yankees red Sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up. Go to seke can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best.
Speaker 1: Look.
Speaker 3: Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Seakeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Patrick, In the Zephyr John, I'm gonna like, I don't want to say it that way. For some reason, I have to really think about it. Zephyr John deal. Bias Steros was a key piece of that, was the main piece. Mason MacGuire was the second piece, the son of Mark McGuire, starting pitcher who's had a nice breakout season in the minors this here, but bias Teris is a big part of that. And then to get Clay Holmes and Tyrone Taylor, they traded Jefferson Rojas. Entering the season. You could make the argument, maybe not even make the argument, maybe those were two the consensus top two prospects coming into the season, and like that they did not get They didn't get a controllable starter for either one of them. They got two rentals in Homes and Taylor, and then a controllable reliever that they probably believe has like if not consistent setup man maybe closer upside, but obviously, as I just explained, he's pretty nasty. But that's like Biasteros was their DH to open the season. He was the you know, quote unquote Kyle Tucker replacement I don't think they were looking at him exactly one for one in that sense. But yeah, like he's supposed to eat up some of that production. And if I would have said bias Steros was traded, if I told you that in May on May first, you would have said they got the best starting pitcher on the market that is under control for multiple years. If you're building a deal around Moys's Biasteros, that's how well he was playing one month, one and a half months into the season, fell off, kind of fell off quick, and other guys passed him up. He's not a catcher. I mean, maybe he can catch, but Owen Ayers is a really good prospect now, so he got passed up. But it's still a big name. That's a big like I I I had heard his name. As far as teams being interested, I did not think it would be for a reliever, even for a reliever that's under control through twenty thirty and is as nasty as this dude is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not surprised at all he was traded. Honestly, kind of shocked that he trade for a reliever with Angels Like I just did not see that coming. I thought this year had kind of reinforced everything the Cubs had said about relievers and how volatile and unpredictable they are, that it's a bad place to spend your money or invest your resources. We'll see, you know, if this guy is good, if he gets out, you know, I don't think anyone will care. I think this is a reflection of a lot of guys popping. I know the Cubs don't have that top rated farm system. Cubs fans understandably roll their eyes at Cubs prospects, but you know, you go back to spring training. Pedro Amirz probably made the best impression out of any young player in camp, and he is now contributing regularly for a playoff contender. There's the Hartshorns, There's you know, a bunch of players at Triple A. Some guys, some of them got moved in deals for pitching, but they still have kind of a lot left over. When they talk about a scouting and player development machine, that Dodgers obviously do it better than anyone. But I think this deadline showed that the Cubs have gotten better in those areas that they they created these opportunities. They were able to find matches with multiple teams and lots of deals with different sort of structures and horizons and expectations. Like I thought, overall that was pretty impressive and kind of you know, we look at these deadlines as one day. Craig Council sort of rejected that premise when I mentioned to him because he just was not outwardly excited about the deadline, And I said, I get it's repetitive, but like your life changed at the trade deadline, he got moved to the Marlins. There has this great world series moment and although it was interesting, your life never changes in one day. It is all about doing it every single day and sticking with it. And I think this deadline was an outgrowth of like decisions that were made years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Pedro Ramirez's development, I think is huge in being able to give up Jefferson Rojas. Yes, you have Matt Shaw as well. We'll see when he gets back. Jed didn't make it seem like he's a return is imminent, made it sound like they will see him again this year. But clearly they got Taylor because they wanted the right hand at bat that they could trust coming off the bench. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see fewer Ian happ at bats against Lefty's Kevin Old Coontrac got the start tonight. We're recording on Monday Night. But Ramirez's development was huge. On Ayers development was huge. King Kepley is a name that we heard was getting asked about a lot. Of course, Hartshorn is a huge development. So like Pedro Ramirez, I think has quickly become a really trusted piece of this team. I'm not surprised people were asking about him. He can play all over, he's good defender. He made a hell of a play on Monday Night, the really nice diving play, and he can hit. I think the power isn't you know, really a huge part of his game, but I think it's there. I think it's going to start to come. We saw it in the minors this year. And he knows how to get a hold of the ball. Really valuable player. Made Rojas expendable. Like and I'm not sure if the public rankings are as accurate as what other teams value, right and like one team may have loved maybe a half dozen teams love Jefferson Rojas. Perhaps none of those teams had pitchers that were available, or none of them were sellers. But I don't think it didn't sound like the teams that like had the controllable starters were salivating to get their hands on Jefferson Rojas. That's not a knock on him. It's just that you know, teams value different players differently. One team may we love Argent Nimola who was traded for Jose Cerriano, and another team maybe like that guy's not a top one hundred prospect. It's it's it's all over the place. You know, different front offices value guys differently. But you're right, it was a big It's been a big season for player development, particularly with the bats not great. With the pitching. They'd love to have better pitching. I think some guys took his stuff forward. They traded one Mason McGuire. I think Brooks Caple has had a good season. Jackson Wiggins has been unremarkable this year, injured and when he's been out there it hasn't looked great. Uh, But the position players, you've got to give him props, and they seem to believe that they can just kind of replenish it. That was kind of Jed's point. It's like, well, you got to draft, got to keep drafting me. We trust that we'll be able to draft and sign guys international free agents that can you know, do with Rojas and and Biasteros and Jonathan Long and Brett Bateman and all these guys that got pieces. And that's the other thing we talked about this last episode. They have that last playoff run the Great Team, the World Series team. They went and got eroldas Chapman. They went and got Jose Quintana, and then after that the system was done. The system was barren. They did not draft well, they did not develop well, they did not sign international free agents. Well, nothing was working. They had a really down period for a while there, and that's why, you you know, it kind of went away quickly. They didn't have the depth to replenish via trade or even backfield. But like this team is backfilling with Peyed Ramirez and then trading with like Jefferson Rojas. That's it's really important.
Speaker 2: I think ROAs is going to be a good major league hitter, not sure if he's gonna stick at shortstop. I think by Asteros needed to change the scenery at this point, just an opportunity, I you know, someone be curious to see what he does out in Anaheim with five at bats next year. I don't think it really matters as long as you get what you want out of the out of the deal. Like, who cares what they do if you have a potential closer for years to come and Clay Holmes is either you know, starting game one or two or closing out a clinching game, uh in a playoff series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and we didn't even mention that they have Alex Bregman, Dan Swatson, Nico Horner, Like where are these guys playing? Like you barely have spots for Matt Shaw and and Peedro Ramirez. Uh, think they're valuable guys on this team. But still it makes sense. You gotta you gotta move when you have this type of depth, like you gotta leverage it before it doesn't like it. Someone like Kevin all Cotra or maybe James Treanto's isn't as valuable as they were maybe a year or two ago. So you've got to strike when the iron's hot and and try and maximize the value. Here, let's take a quick break and talk about something I guess that they didn't do, and let's get that controllable starter.
Speaker 3: For parents looking for a new path to help your child succeed this year, There's still time to enroll in K twelve powered online schools. K twelve powered schools offer tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Tod Father take it away.
Speaker 5: Stride is a wonderful option for anybody that's always on the run. I mean, look at myself, from playing baseball to helping out a lot of people. Stride is fantastic for your child to be homeschool. They will love it no matter what.
Speaker 3: K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction, and they provide real time support, all in an online setting that works for your family at home or anywhere that there's internet. If you're on the go, it could be for you. It's not too late to roll this false See how K twelve powate schools can help your child thrive this year and beyond. Enroll online today at K twelve dot com, slash foul that's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash f o u l K twelve dot com slash foul K twelve serving three million students and counting.
Speaker 1: Patrick. There there was one big picture, I guess moved who is under control beyond this season. Jose Soreano traded to Toronto. Kind of a weird deal since Toronto was selling, But you know they can build a strong rotation for next year. Perhaps names that we heard that we're bandied about, if I'm remembering correctly, read Dept. Meers Emerson, Hancock with Seattle, and George Kirby with Seattle, deptmers Is with the Angels. None of them were moved, certainly, Like we know, Deptmers would have cost more than Soriano. I think Kirby and Hancock were in similar situation. Hancock was under control for a year longer than those other three that we've mentioned a lot. I think the Cubs wanted one of those guys. I think they would have liked to come away with one of those guys. One thing that we heard was just like last year. Jed said it, like last year, the cost was too high. Again at the deadline, the cost is too high. It's interesting, like when these prices go up and down like deadline, starting pitching under control is hard to get. It's a little cheaper in the off season. Perhaps maybe they revisit this in the off season. We'll see what the off season looks like. We can talk about that later. But I did think it was interesting that they gave up so much and they couldn't get that one elusive thing that they kind of feel kind of felt like was probably priority number one. Uh maybe priority number one was just get pitching, and then like right below it was like, hey, get a controllable starter. Let's let's find a way to do that. I don't think it was an unwillingness to pay up. It was just like that price is a little bit crazy. I think it would have cost like I think Rojas would have been like maybe not the first piece, but the second or even third piece. And when you start talking like that, like that's a little that's a lot, and you're taking away maybe Peter or Marez or you can't move by Asteris because you have to give up Bowen, a Ors, whatever it is. It sounds like it was very you know, robust price. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, look that they I think planned a bit for the future by adding this much pitching to where Ben Brown and Justin Steele are not on the clock in the same way. Not that they're going to be reckless or careless otherwise, but I think that could buy you a little bit of time or maybe not put them in the same stressful situations now that they're gonna run him out there like a role as Chapman. But I think brings a little more order to the pitching staff. Look these guys they got, We'll see how they do. But I'd imagine Clay Holmes when he opts out of his contract, would be an attractive free agent target for the Cubs. I don't know how long Kevin Gosman wants to play or exactly how much he has left, but you know, Alex Bregman Danzy Swanson were absolutely raving about this guy. It lines up with what Mitch Bannon has some really cool stories in The Athletic about covering Gosman and how he came to love Toronto. Gosman had hosted Bregman as a high school student when he was visiting LSU. Dansby played with him in Atlanta and they both just said, like, like just a great dude. And I think it's a lot of respect for how he had to bounce around for a while before kind of finding himself as a pitcher and like getting paid and then just producing year after year, and so yeah, the controllable starters are nice. I mean, maybe Jackson Wiggins does take that step forward. I mean at this time last year, you're kind of like, why didn't I was singing, that's like, why not just give up Ben Brown? He needs to change series, obviously. He he totally kind of changed things up in the off season, in part thanks to Clay Holmes.
Speaker 1: They worked out.
Speaker 2: Together in the Nashville area, so a lot of connections there, a lot better team if you're a Cup span, you know, if you have tickets for August and September or you know, wondering about October, like it's a crapshoot. But they are, like they loaded up on pitching, like this is a legit pitching staff. When you start looking at the names and trying to figure out, you know, how the thirteen are going to be put on a playoff roster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think it's a bad selling point to to, you know, pending free agents like Clay Holmes and Kevin Gossman to come play at Wrigley packed ballpark, really you know, intense fan base, and then you put them in front of that defense for whatever. However, many starts they're gonna get each Like that's attractive. That defense, like all that other stuff is nice. Chicago is a great city, great ballpark, fun atmosphere. It's going to be great in the playoffs. We saw that last year. Those playoff games were crazy at Wrigley Field. This defense is a selling point and then you play in front of it and it's like a game changer and it's like, oh, my life is different now. David Peterson has made whatever six starts five have been awesome. It is because he puts the ball on the ground and those guys are gonna suck it up and take care of it like it's it's game over. You put the you have week contact. That's how good this defense is. It's a huge strength for this team. And it could like get tracked free agents. It should like it. These guys aren't. This isn't you know, Like pitchers are pretty smart now, like they they understand like, yeah, they have to do a lot of the work too, but you put a good defense. That's gonna make me look good. They like that. So someone wants to sign a one year deal especially, it's like, hey, this is how I'm gonna get my value up playing in front of the Cubs defense. There's there's a lot of ways that they can they can kind of sell that, but yeah, it's this is a ultimately I think this is a fun team now. It already was, but I really I'm impressed with this deadline. Even without getting that cost control guy. I thought they were going to pull it off. I thought maybe prices would wouldn't be as exorbitant. But what they did and how quickly they pivoted, I think they realized coming into Monday, they weren't getting that controllable starter, so they were working on one more starter that and and Homes seemed to be the guy they were focused on, and they pulled it off and got that reliever and got some depth. It's a really strong, really strong deadline. I agree with you, like fans, get get out there and watch this team because it's it's going to be a crazy atmosphere. I mean these next few days especially, but come September and October, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: I'm just glad this wasn't a show about nothing, because I feel like we did our trade names episode and articles probably in April, like the Yes earlier. However, well we we had homes on there. I don't think we had Gozlin on there because we didn't think they would yeah sell, which I think Jad sort of said by like Friday ish slash Saturday. He had a pretty clear idea that's what they were gonna do. But yeah, we spent a lot of time on this, so it's good. It wasn't just total wasted breath and energy that they brought it. They definitely kept us entertained today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, props to that front office for pulling off a solid and entertaining trade deadline. I mean, overall, it was a fun trade deadline. There were a lot of moves. This was not a boring, boring trade deadline. All right, we will be back with one more episode this week. Thanks so much for listening to Northside Territory. Make sure to subscribe, rate and review, subscribe to The Athletic, and whatever else I say. I can't I lost my train of thought. Thanks so much for I appreciate you listening. Take care,