Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Staneveek along with Carol Master. Let's take a look at some stocks on the move this week. We're joined by Bloomberg News Equities reporter Jordan Fitzgerald.
Speaker 4: What'd you choose?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: I brought a bit more of an interesting mix this week than just talking about SanDisk over and over and over.
Speaker 3: That was last week.
Speaker 5: That was last week. Feels like it's every week it does. But I thought Maderna would be an interesting one to talk about today. Healthcare stocks did underperform today, but Maderna had this rip of a week, up twenty two percent week over week. That's the best week since May twenty twenty four. And there are kind of multiple reasons why this is in play today. Our beautist Biopharma lost a patent appeal that would have boosted its case against Maderna. Vaccine makers rose early this week as doctors reaffirm their dedication to vaccine recommendations in the face of RFK Junior's MAHA endeavor and earlier this week, Maderna forecast full year revenue that came in line with estimates. So there's some there's some good things going on there, and it's been having a tough time.
Speaker 4: It's okay, tough time.
Speaker 5: And if you if you look at it on a technical basis, if you ask some technicians, Maderna's in this rounding bottom pattern that could end up fairly bullish, but also one you maybe don't want to put all your bets on because it really isn't doing as well as it was a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: At that If you were bullish this week on the name number one gainor in the S and P five hundred, you did, okay.
Speaker 3: We spoke to one of the co founders of Moderna earlier this week, newbar Fan, you were out, I was at This was tuesday. You can check out that interview on our podcast feed.
Speaker 4: All right, where shall we go next?
Speaker 5: I think Constellation Energy we can't, we can't ignore today. Constellation Energy down more than ten percent this week. That's the worst week since April when Liberation Day was really billing the market. And it's all part of this energy power news that we've been grappling with. Trump is trying to address how data centers are really putting costs on consumers, and when consumers aren't paying, companies make less money. And so these utility companies, as as Trump is pushing this emergency power auction, are droppings as investors are forecasting that maybe you know, Constellation is not going to make as much money as it would have without this.
Speaker 1: You know, it makes me want to and let me just see, like do a little technical function like an RSI on it. And it's definitely moving towards being over sold and just a technical thing, but we've talked about the fundamental story behind it so carefully.
Speaker 3: The point on our program on Friday that when we did see a lot of the declines that you know, the infrastructure investments that would lead to more power supply available, which would then lead to lower prices is so many years away.
Speaker 4: That you were a little struck by. I mean that's a big drop the move. Yeah, and just how quick that happened. Yeah, it's a I LinkedIn.
Speaker 5: I think everything we see with AI, it's it's more reactive than you know other categories are, and so you are going to get these big swings. I mean, Constellation is a stock that, in my opinion, tends to move a little bit more dramatically than some others, and so I'm not surprised that if the group is down, that Constellation is the biggest decliner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think time will tell, right, if you're going to if they're talking about, you know, expanding power capacity, whether it's power plants, whether it's nuclear, like, all of this stuff takes time. It doesn't happen like this. It's going to take several years. And so you do wonder are these companies really going to be hurt that much in the shorter term and it's maybe a longer term play. We'll see what happens like on Tuesday, right or next week exactly when they come back in terms of trading.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to CarMax.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think I was poken around on the terminal earlier and I discovered something pretty interesting. So CarMax was of eight percent this week, closed at the high since September. But CarMax is actually up twenty six percent in twenty twenty six so far, and that puts it on gains comparable with Micron and Western Digital, which are these you know, very sexy names that we talk about all the time because of this physically, I play and yet CarMax is there outperforming the S and P five hundred, outperforming the MAG seven and outperforming in twenty twenty six. So far it's peer company Carvana.
Speaker 3: The moves have been crazy on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just with year, I mean the volatility, No, which is how much to the upside?
Speaker 5: I mean Carvana is up as well?
Speaker 4: Or you doing Carvana no CarMax, CarMax, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Twenty six percent. If you bought CarMax on December thirty first, you'd have a twenty six percent return in.
Speaker 4: Just a few weeks.
Speaker 5: And you know, the used car sector is seeing some strength. I mean, both Carvana and Carmacks saw a big dip in November, and so traders have been buying that dip, and some preliminary data show that used car sales could be up year over year. But it's interesting to see CarMax so far out from Carbona on that metric too.
Speaker 2: The Stockmovers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App.