Speaker 1: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with Higheartradios and Katie.
Speaker 2: Girmo.
Speaker 3: I'm going to get so much of you today, Yeah, And I got so much of you yesterday. Germo Diaz and I got to hang out all damn day yesterday. Yeah, that was fun for Access Hollywood and Entertainment. Tonight and today me and g are going to have a quick drink or tea with the one and only Darby Stansfield.
Speaker 1: Yes we are.
Speaker 3: This podcast is such a gift because it's like having us hang out with other people.
Speaker 1: I know, right, Like we're forced to hang out with other people that we want to hang out with.
Speaker 3: But unless you actually concretely make the plan. Yeah, I feel like since COVID, everyone's default, well your default before COVID was I just want to be alone in my house.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The minute someone cancels on me, that's the happiest gearmal Diez will ever be. When someone says, actually I can't I'm not going to be able to make it today, I'm like, yay. I know there's a lot of people like that out there too.
Speaker 3: There's so many Yeah, I mean I think everyone's relieved. I mean, if anyone struggles with social anxiety, you feel relieved, but also like Darby, same, yeah, Like I remember the last day of shooting the pilot and she just was like, I just want to let you all know, like I'm not going to be around to like say goodbye or do hugs or like any of that stuff. I find it so mildly like I don't do it and she just leaves and you'll never see her again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, do you remember that last day of shooting the show? The series? So on that last day, I mean I was emotional, but it wasn't like I think we had already all like set our goodbye eyes inside and emotionally with each other and knew it was going to happen. So it wasn't a full on like like people weren't breaking down. People were just like it.
Speaker 3: It was the most magical, almost spiritual like church like wherever you go to feel something that's like so much bigger than yourself is what the last takes of Scandal felt like.
Speaker 1: To me.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad we're talking about this now because.
Speaker 3: We can't wait till fucking seven seasons of the Scandal Rewatch podcast to tell you guys some of our greatest memories.
Speaker 1: We had a big earthquake the other night. Who knows what could happen, let's talk about it now.
Speaker 3: So when we found out that Scandal was ending, which Gas mentioned on the podcast before, I think one of the most gracious, loving things that Sean ever gave us was that year notice. Because we got a ton of goodbyes, like our last Jimmy Kimmel, our last trip to Washington d c, our last writer's dinner, our last cast dinner, like we did so many final things.
Speaker 1: Which is rare that does not happened on TV shows.
Speaker 3: Most of the time, your show gets fucking canceled and you never see the people again. You never get closure, you never get to come to peace or say goodbye to the role you're playing at all. But our last shot of Scandal was an opa at I want to say four o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 1: It was pretty early in the morning. Yeah, it was. It was a long day.
Speaker 3: Every single person involved with the show showed up at set. I'm talking Shanda Rhymes, Betsy Bears, every writer, Mary Howard, our line producer, every actor who wasn't in the scene. It was an opa scene. The people in the scene were Me, g Josh, Darby.
Speaker 1: Darby, Olivia that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and everybody else who was in the White House, Tony, Jeff, they all came.
Speaker 2: And not only that, but everyone's significant other came.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Adam came. We had no babysitter.
Speaker 3: We had a child at the time out he was like fucking four or five months old. He showed up set at three o'clock in the mor I was like, this is that this is going to be the end in the next hour.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm coming. I'm not going to miss it. And he came and he brings Oh I could cry.
Speaker 3: He comes, he brings Albi, transfers the baby, puts him to bed in his little baby bassinet that I had had in my trailer, and we just everyone is sitting in video village, which is where you're looking at the monitors like waiting on baited breath.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have videos.
Speaker 3: We'll post them maybe during this podcast episode, but like I have videos that Adam took of, like the crowd just surrounding each other and surrounding the screens.
Speaker 1: In video village, yeah, which is where the director and the producers all sit and watch what's happening on set through monitors.
Speaker 2: And Tom Verico was directing.
Speaker 3: Everyone was there, watching each other and being like as quiet as a mouse, as like we set our last lines and rolled our last tape on this show.
Speaker 1: We were just waiting for Tom to say, Okay, that's that's it.
Speaker 3: That's a wrap, that's a cut. And then he would say, oh, I get so emotional. I know too, and he was like, that's a series wrap and everybody and then everyone refused to leave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like everyone just.
Speaker 3: Stayed at Opa, like hugging and toasting and like, yeah, people brought in like champagnes and coffee and everyone's just like hanging out till like six o'clock in the morning. Like yeah, I remember Darby and Olivia and Carrie being like, are you guys just gonna go home in your costumes?
Speaker 2: Like do we have to return these? Like what do we do? Do we get changed? Like what's even happening?
Speaker 3: I like watched the sun come up, yeah, you know from my trailer, Like.
Speaker 1: It was such a special day.
Speaker 3: It was so beautiful, Like it wasn't sad like you were saying it wasn't. Yeah, it felt so celebratory, meaningful.
Speaker 1: It was. Yeah, from the moment that Seanda told us all that this was going to be the last year, we would come on st and I feel like we would all be like, oh man, this is the last year. So we relished in those moments of just shooting every scene of every episode that we did from the moment we knew on and just enjoyed it to the fullest, right.
Speaker 2: We really did.
Speaker 1: We just got the most out of it. We freaking squeezed that arns.
Speaker 3: I think also sometimes people finish series and there's like bad blood and people aren't friends anymore and people hate people, or it's just like maybe messier because working at television show is hard.
Speaker 1: But none of that ever happened with us. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, we just remained true to ourselves and to the project and to each other. And I think we all were like respectful and loving and just like really held ourselves accountable for our behavior and our attitudes.
Speaker 2: And everybody did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this show was the shit good jam yeo, this was it.
Speaker 3: And every person on the show told me you had been on a million series.
Speaker 2: But all the older folks, Goldwyn.
Speaker 3: Jeff Perry, salads and everybody was like you know, this doesn't happen. Yeah, like this is lightning in a bottle. And I kept being like yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. But it really was the first series I was ever on episode We're in the middle of shooting episode nine, and the directors like, I'd like to call everybody to set. Everybody, and we're like weird, okay.
Speaker 2: They were like, all going to set.
Speaker 3: We're shooting nine where we have like a full order, and the producers and the writers just come.
Speaker 2: They're like all emotional and they're like, well, today's our last day, Like.
Speaker 1: Like, is it even gonna air?
Speaker 3: No, would like to keep shooting air crazily, but they were like this is it?
Speaker 2: Pack up, yo, shit and get that get Albuquerque.
Speaker 3: And I was like wait what. I was like counting on those paychecks.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh shit.
Speaker 1: And then you know, you know, you start a show and you know, like for Mercy, we were up. You know, we did one season and then they added a few extra episodes and that's why we did nineteen. But you know, I moved my life to New York and me and Mike were settled, Okay, we're gonna be here in New York, and but right for actors. You just never freaking out and then just showed it and get picked up. And we're like we got to go back to LA and pick up our lives and moved to a whole different state. I mean, but this happens all the time with us, right, I mean it's all constant, Like we're like gypsies, right, Like you just never know where you're gonna be for a long time.
Speaker 3: That was the other crazy gift about Scandal? Was that a shot in town?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I live like eight minutes away from where we shot Scandal, and so do you like you're just.
Speaker 2: Scroll down the hill?
Speaker 3: Yeah, scandalshot at Sunset Gower, which is right under the Hollywood Sign. I lived up the hill underneath the Hollywood Sign, and I never even had to put my foot on the gas to get to work.
Speaker 2: I would just.
Speaker 3: Roll my car like downhill, hitting the break for like the light. I would leave four minutes to my call time. It was literally the greatest thing that's ever.
Speaker 2: Happened in my life. So good, let's talk about episode two fours.
Speaker 1: Me talk about it. Let's talk about it. Yo.
Speaker 2: There's hot, hot, hotchhet in this yes.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Katie. Once again, I don't remember any of this shit. I don't remember none of it. I don't remember Olivia telling fits I'm sorry about defiance. I didn't remember none of that shit, none of it.
Speaker 3: God, this episode is so good Fire Yeah Episode two fourteen titled Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. It aired on February fourteenth of twenty thirteen. So happy Valentine's daty all you gladiators that got turned on by this Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it was written by Matt Byrne and directed by Mark Tinker.
Speaker 2: It was guest starring what Scott Foley is Jack Tallard.
Speaker 3: This is the first episode we get the one and only Scott Foley, who I was texting with this morning.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you more about that a little bit.
Speaker 1: I Oh, I love Scott so.
Speaker 2: Little Farder, I love him.
Speaker 3: Yes, Kurt Fuller is great in Osborne, who was the CIA director. Amazing actor Joe Holt as Secretary of Defense.
Speaker 1: And Virginia Louise Smith as Secretary of State, Jay Renee Banga as Louise Troy Vincent as National Security Advisor.
Speaker 2: This synopsis is insane.
Speaker 3: This is the first time that's ever happened in scandal history, where we jump At the top of this episode, we are ten months after Verna's murder and the discovery of defiance. Fits is pushing everyone away as they vie for his trust. A hostage situation arises with four American government agents abroad, and David Rosen awakens to find a dead woman in his bed.
Speaker 1: Olivia and Opa team try to help David, who ignores their advice at almost every turn, and Cyrus and Melli are concerned for who Fits may turn to if they don't gain back his trust.
Speaker 3: Everything comes to a head during Cyrus's daughter's christening. Yeah, so we open this episode it says ten months later, which scandal's never done, like a time job, and Olivia is like aggressively swimming laps in the pool, which holy shit, Kerrie Washington, who was on the swim team in high school, which is why Shonda has Olivia swimming, And she's so fucking good at swimming.
Speaker 1: Oh she was so oh good, that's all her. Those wide shots from above are all her, right.
Speaker 2: All her.
Speaker 3: And also I could never pick that sport because you know, when like you're swimming and they're shooting it. I mean, I've never shot swimming, but I could tell from this and you're kicking your legs so much and you just see all your leg muscle and fat kind of shaking. Oh yeah, but Carrie doesn't have any. It just looks fucking outstanding.
Speaker 1: Carrie looked amazing, like her booty. I was like, oh my god, her legs. She was like, look how cute she looks. She looks you're white.
Speaker 3: I remember, Yeah, I want to ask her about this when she comes on again. But like the fittings for the swimsuits, I'm sure like such a thing.
Speaker 2: And the swim caps.
Speaker 1: The swim cap because you know, she couldn't have her hair in the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all that ugh incredible.
Speaker 3: But we're jumping back and forth between Olivia swimming and at the same time, parallel the same time, Fitz is in the shower and Melly walks up to him in this ridiculous kimono with these fucking high no woman wear's high heeled with a rope.
Speaker 1: That was her morning shoe wear. Was like the little kitten.
Speaker 3: Heelcase that is that fits. Is just like do you have it? And she's like, yes, I do. But at seven o'clock in the morning, and he's like, give me my fucking whiskey.
Speaker 1: It is whiskey. I was like, go ahead, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, because the girl jumps in the shower and she's about to go go to Bonie Bonie BJ Town.
Speaker 1: Yo, this is the first time Katie that I was like, yeah, Fits and Mellie made sense to me. Their sexual chemistry and just chemistry all together is so good. Like it was the first time. I was like, Yo, they're really hot together. Yeah, those two like Fits in Olivia are of course super sexy hot together and they got all that fire between them. But Melly and Fits like that shit was hot.
Speaker 2: We always see them at odds.
Speaker 3: We don't really see them in a sexual way, but like, yeah, I just feel like when Mellie's doing this, it's like for such other reasons.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's so much more attached to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, why are you giving this guy head?
Speaker 1: She wants something.
Speaker 3: This girl's a political animal. Something's going on. But as she's about to go down down to Bjtown. I've never called it that in my entire life.
Speaker 1: I love it so much, that's all we're gonna call it from now on.
Speaker 2: Down down to BJ Town and.
Speaker 3: Cyrus is like knock knock, knock and She's like so mortifyingly embarrassed that Fits is not alone in this shower. But Cyrus is like, oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, mister missus president, but holy shit, we've got like bad, bad bad raised the alarm sirens.
Speaker 1: But also I was like, Mellie, just stay quiet. I wouldn't have said shit. I would have stayed. I would have stayed on my knees. I wouldn't have even have stood up.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't have even had to stop. It would be why do you stop? Isn't that sort of the fun of it. It's like, ooh, it's sort of sexy that, like he has to try to be serious while he's like receiving such pleasure.
Speaker 1: And Mellie's face when she just says, hi, sigh is so brilliant her acting. We'll be right back, guys.
Speaker 2: So tell me how David Rosen wakes up in this episode?
Speaker 1: Yo, he said, who this motherfucker wakes up with a knife, a bloody knife in his hand, and then he looks over and there's a dead woman in his bed. As a huge horror fan, as everybody knows, the blood is so freaking good on this show. Really, that blood is so real, so real, looking so good, and that's.
Speaker 3: What makes the difference. What's the difference between good blood and bad blood? Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, bad blood is just the color is completely off. Listen. I love the movie Carrying. There are moments where the blood looks good, but there are moments like when she's in the bathtub washing the blood away, that the blood does not look real real, It has like an odd like yellowish tone, and so when the blood looks bad, when it's bad, it's bad. But this our special effects people. I think Denise did all this blood right. Denise and Sherry were our hair and makeup people in.
Speaker 2: The I texted with her today too.
Speaker 1: No way, but those ladies do those blood effects so so well, it looks so good, it looked amazing.
Speaker 3: And she's hot, that girl, So that dead girl is so beautiful. I'm like, how Yeah, First of all, David Rosen would never get this chick, so like, obviously she's half his age, blonde, obviously she's got motives.
Speaker 1: She's cute as fuck. Yeah yeah I should.
Speaker 3: So David Rosen calls in the team and he's like, holy shit, I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: And then oh my goodness, what do we have here?
Speaker 3: But Olivia is in a coffee shop and she whoopsie doodily dandy, she to Jake Belly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is our Scott Pholey. Scott Pholy, y'all, can we just say really quickly that when Scott entered our Scandal family, he entered it so gracefully and so easily, and he just melded right into our vibe and our groove. And can we just say, Katie that Scott is the one that created the fart sounds that we do that I do on other sets to this day and people look at me like I'm crazy.
Speaker 2: I do too, and it's all Scott fully, It's like rolling speed.
Speaker 1: And then action, like we do it. We did it all day, every day, just fart sound all the time.
Speaker 2: I'm curious if he did it.
Speaker 3: I'd like to think that he only did it on Scandal because he felt the most comfortable with us and he loved it.
Speaker 2: But I highly doubt it. I think he's done it.
Speaker 1: I think he did it everywhere. Yeah, I'm Whiskey Cavalier, which was his really amazing show that they shot in Prog Right.
Speaker 3: Yes, but Scott's the best, And Scott, were you a Felicity fan or a doctor.
Speaker 2: I wasn't.
Speaker 1: I wasn't. I wasn't.
Speaker 3: People are Scott oh fully Felicity fans.
Speaker 1: That's mostly what people like flip out over him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And how he's pitted against fits in this How it's either like o Lake or Olitz I'm pretty sure is how Felicity goes between Scott Foley's character and Scott's Speedman's character.
Speaker 1: Oh is it?
Speaker 3: Like I think Felicity was with both dudes, And so people are like, you can't like Scott.
Speaker 2: Scott Speedman with Felicity or whatever.
Speaker 1: You'll remember when Felicity not Felicity, Carrie Russell cut her hair and it was a huge story, like all over like the news. It was like Carrie Russell cut her hair.
Speaker 2: People need to calm the ever.
Speaker 1: But Scott was also on Scrubs. He was on Dawson's Creek and can I just say real quickly like he was in one of the greatest horror films that there are in Screen three. He plays Roman Bridger.
Speaker 2: And what is he doing it?
Speaker 1: He's the fucking lead. He's the director of the movie. Because there, you know, the screen happens, the story that Nev Campbell gets terror I by this person, and then that becomes sort of famous, and then they're making a movie about what happened to these characters, and Scott plays that director named Roman.
Speaker 2: He's a big part.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's like one of the leads. And at the end spoiler.
Speaker 2: Alertic just fast forward, fast forward.
Speaker 1: Yes, Scott ends up being ghost Face. He ends up being the killer in the mask at the end of this movie.
Speaker 2: Are you it's so kidding me?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes? And who's in this movie? Jenny McCarthy, Parker Posey is in this movie, of course, Nep Campbell and David Arquette. But yes, Scream three.
Speaker 3: Scott Foley is such an impressive career. Yeah, but it's just really we were so lucky. I mean, he's unbelievable. So she bumps into him. It's adorable. It's like a very cute kind of normal. It's weird to see Olivia Pope. I feel like in a coffee shop. Yeah, I'm like, why is she doing normal people things? Like she doesn't do normal people things.
Speaker 1: We see her with coffee, but we never see her like in the coffee shop in line. So yeah, that was that was super cute.
Speaker 3: So they meet and they're both lying through their teeth about what they do for a living.
Speaker 1: She's like, I'm a.
Speaker 2: Tour guide, yeah, and he's like, I five sell.
Speaker 1: Paper yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And then Abby gets a call from David, but they they're on the case. And as they're studying David and why he could have been set up to murder this girl, we fine that David's entire life because of the Quinn Perkins case has just I mean, he's a fucking loser.
Speaker 1: It's gone downhill. Poor guy.
Speaker 2: There's no money.
Speaker 3: The only money in his account was deposited for five thousand dollars from like his Bubbola, from his grandma Bubby.
Speaker 2: He's just totally awful. And what we see is the beginning of Huckleberry Quinn because Quinn is really having a good time. She's having a good time cleaning. She's on the cleanup committee with huck.
Speaker 1: Which the cleanup means like if there's a dead body or you know, a bunch of of blood or things that they have to get rid of, that's the cleanup. And so yeah, so we see Hock and Quinn for the first time doing this dirty work like fucked up. This is like like hardcore, like they're literally taking moving a body to a different location and staging her.
Speaker 2: And spreading blood and all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: I can remember the beginning of season two, Seanda saying to me, we're gonna have play around with Quinn a little bit, and I was like okay, and she was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Quinn's gonna be getting darker. And I was like, oh my god, what does that mean? Am I gonna die? Am I gonna die? I'm I'm gonna have a job.
Speaker 3: And so what it meant is that Huck is sort of taking Quinn under his wing and he I love the part where you're like, knock the lamp over. Yeah, actually thought my acting was okay in this scene.
Speaker 1: You were so good in this scene, and your excitement is infectious. Man, it's so cute. But then you start to think the audience is thinking, holy shit, she's really enjoying this, because then the Huck is looking for something on the girl's body and Quinn is like, what are you doing. He's like, we need more blood for spatter to you know, spray the bed sheets in the walls. And then he hands a knife to Quinn and she's like what and he's like you wanted to be part of cleanup, right, this is part of cleanup. And the way you take that knife.
Speaker 3: And then go to close my eyes and you're like eyes open.
Speaker 2: I'm like what.
Speaker 3: I'm like, she's already dead and you're like not for her, for you, like in case I miss and like stab my own stomach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then you stab the ship out of that body. Oh it's so crazy.
Speaker 2: Directed this again?
Speaker 1: Wait? Mark Tinker? Oh yes, taker.
Speaker 2: Did direct a few episodes of Scandal.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because we did another episode where he directed one. Right.
Speaker 2: Doddy Byrne wrote this episode. I love it.
Speaker 3: And then we have the line You're a natural, which my cast gift to everybody that season. I like to get people gifts at the end of the season, and I went downtown and got really awesome kitchen knives for everybody. But I had each knife engraved on the blade and it said you're a natural on that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I still have mine right over there. You do, right next to my Michael Meyer's Halloween prototype mask.
Speaker 2: You're so cute. I'm also what the fuck kind of gift was?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Who am I?
Speaker 1: Katie? You want to you want to talk about gifts and about who you are listen. Who was a crazy person that would give like dead bats in from aldehyde to his whole best I have it.
Speaker 2: And I have it in my oh. I take it out at Halloween and my son is like, is.
Speaker 1: That a real bad Oh?
Speaker 3: It is a real bad bitch. It didn't formale hide. It's from your uncle Giermo. It was a scandal present for Halloween. He always got us the fucking creepiest ass Halloween presence.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. But the first season, the first season or season two, I got everyone an actual toolbox, a red toolbox. Do you remember that.
Speaker 2: I think the bat was first.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was the bat first, and then I got the maybe the bat was for Halloween.
Speaker 2: Then I got a Thriller doll like a Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Yeah, this sculptor, this artist made all these dolls of Michael Jackson when he turns into the werewolf at the end of Thriller. Yeah, any crap, any crap.
Speaker 2: We will be back with more after the break.
Speaker 3: So meanwhile, mean in the White House, Cyrus is being iced out by Fits. Everyone basically knows that Fits knows about defiance, and that's why he's drinking. He's drinking, and he's becoming an alcoholic because everything he ever thought or knew about himself in the country he's running is not true. He did not deserve the presidency, he did not win the presidency, and everyone he has ever known or trusted or loved betrayed him exactly. And so he's drinking. Fits is icing Cyrus out. He's not using Cyrus at all. He's not asking Cyrus' opinion about the hostages in kfar R.
Speaker 1: Where did you just say, Cafardi?
Speaker 4: Where are they cush FARGI cush shark guys?
Speaker 1: I like, I think it's Cafardi. I like Cafardi.
Speaker 2: We learn that Wendy's sleeping with a ton of men.
Speaker 1: Huck discovers that on her she's downloaded all these pictures, but there are body parts of different.
Speaker 2: Men, including ding dongs.
Speaker 1: Ding dongs. Yes, And there's that moment with Abby with Darby when she's looking at the at the ding dong and she's got like a half smile, half like like just devilish look on her face.
Speaker 3: Acting choices are it's so good, phenomenal e and then Columbus calls it a hairy baby arm. Yes, I've never is it called that in the gay community.
Speaker 1: No hairy baby arm.
Speaker 3: No, not attractive now.
Speaker 1: And that's one of my favorite destinations. And I don't even want to go there for the baby hairy arm shit.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you a lot of women mind it as a destination.
Speaker 1: They do. One of my really close friends is like, I don't like it at all, but I'll do it because because I know I kind of have to or whatever, and I'm like, really, I've.
Speaker 2: Always found it very enjoyable. But right, you're welcome.
Speaker 3: Adam Shapiro, Yeah, you're welcome. So now you know a little bit about my sex life. You know a little bit about Gierama Diaz a sex life. David Rosen gets arrested. Cyrus warns Melly that Fits will find someone new if he can't trust them. Abby's super worried about David. And then Huck says, someone keeps calling Wendy.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we find out that that person, well, we find out that the person calling Wendy is Jake.
Speaker 2: Because Jake don't sell paper.
Speaker 1: He don't sell no paper, he don't work remember Actme paper Company, which is funny because he says, I sell paper. But then later on and like seasons down the line.
Speaker 3: That's all of our covers, that's B six thirteen covers.
Speaker 2: Is that we do sell paper?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what does he really do? He's an officer in the fucking Pentagon?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is he an officer? Is that his title?
Speaker 1: I'm sure I think so.
Speaker 2: So Olivia is like the fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she's already met him at the coffee shop. She's like, wait, I knew he was lying about what he did, but now he's connected to this case that we're dealing with. So she's like, I'm gonna go to this motherfucker's office and find out what's the tea.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, at the same time, in the White House, Fits keeps getting called into like the special room where they're like looking and trying to figure out what the hell they're gonna do to save these four American hostages. And Kurt Fuller is the CIA director. Ge what the hell do we all know Kurt Fuller from.
Speaker 1: Let Me Tell You Something? How funny you should ask, because that.
Speaker 3: Guy's famous and has had a long as career in eight Million Things.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes he is. Kurt Fuller plays great no Osbourne. Yeah, this motherfucker Let me tell you something. The amount of credits, but like credits that people will recognize is remarkable. Let me rattle off a few right now. Two two seven, Wayne's World, The Running Man with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Night Rider, New Heart, The Gary Shanling Show, Ghostbusters Part two, The Bonfire of the Vanities, Like, I could go on and on and on. This guy has been in everything.
Speaker 2: And he's so under the radar.
Speaker 1: But I love that I couldn't believe all the stuff he's been in and he's so great on the show.
Speaker 3: I love that Jake won't stop asking Olivia out.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, like bro oh, get a hint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad it wasn't a fucking senator pudding pop. I'm glad we didn't see him in the picture, at least as someone else.
Speaker 3: But I also would just like to say, because I talked so much about myself, Quinn was so mad cute in this episode, Like I was like, I love my hair, I love my makeup, I love my clothes.
Speaker 1: You're so super super cute.
Speaker 3: Because sometimes I'm like, oh my god, Quinn, oh, you are so annoying and get a different skirt, like what are you doing? David tries to fire Opa, you know, like David's like, I'm so done with you. Like every single thing that I do with you, guys leads me to trouble. I've been arrested, my career is ruined. And then I love this entire scene, which one Fits and Melly and everybody at this is so crazy.
Speaker 2: They're at the christening.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Oh.
Speaker 3: They have a christening and it's so cute and so loving, and Olivia fits.
Speaker 2: Yet again, they can't even be in a room together without just needing to go to Bone Town, to go to Boundtown.
Speaker 1: But Yo, how amazing was this scene in the church when they're both because Olivia is the godmother, is baby's godmother, and Fits is the godfather. Yeah, And in one moment in the show, Mellie tells Cyrus really making Olivia the godmother or something like that, because of course now they have to be together in the same room.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But that scene when they're both when Fits and Olivia holding the baby and they're they keep throwing looks at each other and the water is going on the baby's head. Oh, it's just so good.
Speaker 3: And when they're in the little room and James makes a speech that's like I hope she doesn't remember that the Japanese paeonies never arrived.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and besides, like, but I remember.
Speaker 3: But he's like, but what I will remember is how she was surrounded by love. And then Olivia just like needs to get out of there, and Fitz is chasing her down way.
Speaker 1: Oh she's stomping away, like on the runway.
Speaker 2: It's that's a runway stomp, ridiculous.
Speaker 3: And then he grabs her arm, flings open the nearest door, which just happens to be like a breaker room or something.
Speaker 1: It look like Huck's office, like with all those wires and birds and molds.
Speaker 3: And buttons and and he just takes her from behind. That's what ends up happening. Oh no, she hops around kind of right before the commercial break.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but yo, that shit is racy.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I was like, I cannot believe this is network television.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when he unzips the booty part of her dress? I was like, oh my god, pulls down.
Speaker 3: Oh god, it was so taught and so angry. He's drunk probably, and Buzzy's so fucking pissed about defiance.
Speaker 2: It's been ten months.
Speaker 1: He slaps them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she slaps them, and then they back up and give each other a little bit of space, and then she's like, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 2: Will they won't? They will?
Speaker 1: They will, they will?
Speaker 2: They want they and gentlemen, and they.
Speaker 4: Will they will and good fucking making out so hard and he flips her around and they honestly, it's like they can't ingest each other fast yes, and just fuck.
Speaker 1: They can't get enough of each other. They can not eat.
Speaker 3: Each other fast enough. It's so insane and they're so good at it, and it's so believable, and it's so bizarre because we're friends with them in real life and they're so like their relationship is not like that, no, all, it's so crazy that that's what was going on when they had to work.
Speaker 1: My god, how about the moment when they leave the room. Katie like, Yo.
Speaker 2: It's the rudest fucking thing I've ever heard of my head.
Speaker 1: You're an asshole. Fits is such a dick to her, because Olivia says to him, I'm sorry, and he turns around and says, don't worry, won't happen again, and she's like, basically, she says, I'm not talking about the sects, I'm talking about defiance and he what does he say?
Speaker 3: He's like, this was a mistake because I can't control my erections around you, but it'll never happen again. And you're just like, he fucking hates her, and she feels like a slut, like, she feels like a used Yeah, and she also feels so bad about defiance, like she also feels like she did betray him. Yeah, and everything she stands for. I mean, it's a mess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When she says, I'm you know, defiance was a mistake, and he says that wasn't a mistake, that was betrayal. Yeah, and then he walks, oh, body so intense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then I'm like wow. He runs right from that scene right into the room where he's seeing where the Seal team has trying to find the four American hostages, and.
Speaker 2: He walks in and there's nobody there. They've been duped.
Speaker 3: And we learn from Kurt Fuller, the CIA director, that we have.
Speaker 2: A mole.
Speaker 1: A mole. There's a mole, you guys, not the ones with the hair on it, a mole.
Speaker 3: No, We've got a mole, a big ass tattletail in the Pentagon who's leaking information and things are not all well.
Speaker 2: And good in the Pentagon.
Speaker 3: Abby does an amazing apology scene to David Rosen, but he denies her, and then he finds a mysterious flash drive in his house and we realize it's Wendy's and she was downloading files when she was killed.
Speaker 2: And David takes that flash.
Speaker 3: Drive to Olivia and is like, you know, all of a sudden has change of heart, like this isn't even about me anymore, and how much you fucked up my entire life, but this is about saving the American people.
Speaker 1: Like we need to work together. Yeah. I love how Olivia says, this isn't about you, this is about justice and you dusting off that white hat, like she knows he's ultimately such a good person and he just wants justice and you know.
Speaker 3: That's his middle name, Like that's all he wants. Fits is in the shower again, Tony Goldway. This is my favorite fits. What does that say about me?
Speaker 1: Sad fits? Sad sexy fits ye.
Speaker 3: Sad, depressed, angry, apathetic fits is my favorite fits. I like when he's so tortured and like he makes these faces of like just angst and like, I just think it's so hot and I just want to fix him and make him feel better and go to BJ town.
Speaker 1: Come on, Olivia Pope, come on, come on.
Speaker 2: I think it's because he's apathetic. I think it's because he's like, oh no, no, no, he's a dick. That's why I like him.
Speaker 1: He's a dick. He's a shady makes shady stir to everybody. In this episode, he's so bossy and shady to everybody. But of course, like you said, it's because he knows the people closest to him betrayed him. Yeah, And of course I think Olivia Pope is at the helm of that betrayal for him. That's the biggest one. That's the one. He never thought Olivia would do something like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wait, there's a huge scene we didn't talk about. That's why the best scene in the episode. Okay, yes, yes, I think we should start to say winners of the episode. I was thinking about this as Charlotte's like totally winning scenes of this episode. Hellya, groom sex scene, unfucking believable, you're a natural, unfucking believable.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the other winning scene of this episode is Bellamy Young in the limo, saying that fucking Cyrus is the one that pushed everybody to rig the election just to protect your own ass. Yes, slimy political woman.
Speaker 2: I love to watch more than anything in the world.
Speaker 1: Her work in this fucking scene in that limo, looking like fucking Jackie O in that amazing like peach or whatever color that dress was. It's very sort of reminiscent of jack Yok kind.
Speaker 3: Of nineteen fifties, no, nineteen sixties, the pearls, and she's just like it was.
Speaker 2: Cyrus. He was the one fits, he was the one he told everyone he pushed Olivia.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're right to ice him out.
Speaker 2: You're right to ice him.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, and you can trust me this bit bitch.
Speaker 2: Oh my, don't. She is fucking playing this motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Yes, and fit falls for it.
Speaker 2: He kisses her hand or he kisses her hand?
Speaker 1: Does?
Speaker 2: He kiss her hand?
Speaker 1: Does?
Speaker 3: And then he holds her hand and then to seal the scene stealer of the episode, she turns into the window where he can't really see and she puts this smirky smirk on her face where she's like.
Speaker 2: I did it, I did it. He's on my side.
Speaker 3: He's gonna ice Cyrus out, like I'm back in his good graces and I'm the only one out of all the goods that he trusts.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, so good.
Speaker 2: That's definitely the scene winner of the episode.
Speaker 1: The other scene I think is also a Winter Katie is the scene where David Rosen and Harrison have to go and sit in front of the new Attorney General.
Speaker 3: Right, Josh Molina has more talent in his farts, like the hell you know he.
Speaker 2: Didn't memorize that until the day of in.
Speaker 1: The makeup you rememberize that shit the in the makeup chair because he's a poop unbelievable.
Speaker 3: But Harrison kind of coaches him before it is like, you don't have to answer that. You don't have to answer anything like yes, you're arrested, I'm gonna get you off.
Speaker 2: Don't answer shit. Stick with me.
Speaker 3: I'm Harrison. I'm like the slyest, coolest lawyer to have ever been born. Yeah, And before he knows it, Josh Molina's like up on the stand saying like I used to be in this office. I used to be the district attorney and yes, yeah, fine, I did murder this girl stabby stab I.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh, I love to stab. And I stabbed her in my apartment and then I moved her to her apartment and stabs her some more.
Speaker 3: There he does his entire iran ironic monologue.
Speaker 1: Yes and Harrison. I love how Harrison's reactions go from like, oh, fuck, shut the fuck up, stop talking. I told him to hell, Yeah, you fucking got it. You know what you're doing. I'm just gonna sit back and let you do this. You could tell that the you know, the guy is not gonna fucking go any further. He's the new attorney general, right that guy? Yes, yeah, and that that actor's name is James Urbaniak. And Katie, did you recognize him from anything?
Speaker 2: No, from what he is.
Speaker 1: When me and Katie love Sex and the City as well, he is. Yes, he plays Buster in Sex and the City. He's in one episode and he's the guy that has the foot fetish, that works in the shoe store. Oh, and he keeps giving Charlotte all these free shoes. That's him. Oh can you believe that?
Speaker 3: So we got so many winners, so many scene steelers, Josh Molina kills, Melly Kills, Tony Goldwin's the hottest he's ever been as sad, depressed, angry fucking Fits.
Speaker 2: He's an alcoholic.
Speaker 1: Quinn looks cute as fucking her good.
Speaker 2: Quinn looks cute as fox.
Speaker 3: She's stabby mc stabberson's her first person, which really leads us into the thing.
Speaker 2: And we end the episode with Fits in the shower.
Speaker 3: Mellie joins him and he like yells at her to stop trying to give me a fucking blowjob, and it scares her and then he apologizes and then they make out and it's real good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but that yelling fucking yelly fits scary post bullet head fits is no joke. He's so mad.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's a personality change. Yeah, she would be drinking this much when he's had that sort of injury.
Speaker 1: Probably not.
Speaker 2: And then the episode ends with Olivia walking into her home again and we're all surprised that's and her putting pop isn't there, and then she calls Jake Ballard and Jake Ballard picks up and as he's talking to her on the phone, we see his apartment and he turns on screens in his apartment and we realize that he's watching her.
Speaker 1: That's some fuck that that's some white people shit, that's that's some crazy shit man, and he's just sitting back. I was watching the episode looking at it, and I almost wanted to turn away when after he hangs up with Olivia and then he sits back with his beer and Olivia kind of has a does like an embarrassed moment, like or like an excitement of like, oh my god, I'm gonna go on a date, like oh.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to a boy.
Speaker 3: I kind of like a crush on a little bit, like I'm experimenting with, like ever feeling feelings about a dude again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I was like, how can he just sit there and watch her? What if she like farted like when he's you know, she's gonna be like a big old fart after being at OPA and dealing with the president. You know she'd be holding in that gas.
Speaker 2: Also, like all the private moment things people do. Yes, oh my god, I don't want to see that. Olivia Pope is perfect.
Speaker 3: She does not go to the bathroom like she is absolutely perfect.
Speaker 1: But that also tells us the type of person Jake is. Right, You're like, oh shit, this dude is no joke, Like he's dark, stay tuned, y'all.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned, y'all, were about to get into this old Lake situation and what it means.
Speaker 2: Fun facts for this episode.
Speaker 3: Fun fun fun fun facts, fun fun fun facts. Fun facts for you this episode two fourteen, which aired on two fourteen.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 3: This episode marks the first time that this is why we felt this way, Giarmo, that this is the first episode that marks the first time that Mellian fits.
Speaker 2: Kiss intimately, like in a non public place.
Speaker 1: Not just a pack right.
Speaker 2: We see they're like real juicy, yes, and it's good.
Speaker 3: That's why you feel like, for the first time ever that you understand the intimacy of their relationship. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the episode title Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
Speaker 3: Of this.
Speaker 1: It's the Nato phonetic alphabet slang for w TF, which is what the fuck? You probably didn't need us to explain that about, which.
Speaker 2: Is what they say when the Seal team is like they're not there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, wasn't Scott's show Whiskey Tango?
Speaker 1: Whiskey Cavalier was the name of his show?
Speaker 2: What's that for?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but it's a cool name.
Speaker 2: We'll have to ask him when it comes on.
Speaker 3: Yo, how are these scandal tweets to the time tweet at the time tweet tweet.
Speaker 1: Egg plant Ashley branding and marketing stracked? She says, Cyrus and the reporter's baby is too cute. OMG, so presh, Oh my uterus just fluttered l O L hashtags baby was cute.
Speaker 2: There was actually a bunch of babies in this episode. We have the baby that oh yeah.
Speaker 3: James and Cyrus adopt, but then we also have baby Teddy all over this episode. It seems to be the only place that Fitz is like enjoying himself. By the way, the baby they cast was a girl. Oh really, and they kept cutting the baby girl's hair into a boy haircut?
Speaker 1: What was there? Shortage of little boys?
Speaker 2: Like to I mean, no idea why this little girl booked the part. I have no idea for her. Good Linda Lowie like.
Speaker 1: Oh good h Tammy Frazier says Natural Born Killers starring huck At Camel Diasio and introducing Quinn at Katie q Low's yeh hashtag Huckleberry Quinn. Yes, we should do a remake of Natural Born Killers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you love that movie?
Speaker 1: I don't love it. That's the type of movie. I saw it once and that was enough. I appreciate it for what it was. I love Oliver Stone. It's not the type of film that I could watch over and over. It's too intense, it's too much.
Speaker 2: It's Woody Harrelson and Courtney Love right and know and.
Speaker 1: Juliette Lewis, Oh, I'm an idiot. Yeah yeah, yeah, uh at Lil Duval says Scandal is really good. I watched the first season on the flight. Still ain't fucking with Dexter, though, so she could watch Scandal but not Dexter. We like you, we dig that, we fox with you, and.
Speaker 3: Don't worry, Scandal is about to get way more dexter. I mean it is the better Quinn gets it. Torturing and blood and killing and all of this. We get really dextery at certain seasons of Scandal, do y'all. The next episode is called Boom Goes the Dynamite.
Speaker 2: We love you.
Speaker 3: We have to go because Germo and I have a hot date with Darby Stansfield.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, yeah we do.
Speaker 3: And we're gonna drink some whiskey or have some tea, but most likely whiskey, and we're gonna chat it up, but we love you guys.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. We have so much freaking fun doing this kee.
Speaker 3: Y'all.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys for joining us on Unpacking the Toolbox. If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe, share with your friends, rate, or leave us a review.
Speaker 3: Scandal is executive produced by Sandy Bailey, alex Alce, Lauren Homan, Tyler Klang, and Gabrielle Collins. Our producer and editor is Vince de Johnny, with music by Chad Fisher.
Speaker 1: Scandal is a production of ABC Signature, and you can follow along by rewatching Scandal on Hulu.
Speaker 3: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you subscribe to your favorite shows.