Speaker 1: My name is Reagan, and I grew up in a very small town. I had exactly seventeen people in my high school graduation, so I just wanted to set the stage of what I was dealing with in the medical community. When I was sixteen, my school was getting ready for homecoming and we were the last class they got to have a bonfire at ours, so we really wanted to go all out for everyone, not just for us. And I really wasn't big on the outdoors. I wasn't an outside fan. I didn't like wearing the long sleeves, the pants, the mosquito's fright. But I worked hard for this and it was an amazing bonfire. It was actually only a few days later that I was spending and linking with my grandmother, and right after school I came down with a headache and I wasn't interested in watching TV. I wasn't interested in eating dinner. I even went to bed before the sunset. And my grandmother was really increasing worried over this behavior. She was checking on me every half hour. She wanted to take me to the er, but she knew, especially in time my cars, that they were just going to send me home with tile at all. So then the fever hit, and when it hit, it came on hard and fast, and my grandmother called the hospital, who said that all they would do was put me in an icepath and send me home. That was their fever protocol. So she called my mom, who was a five hour dRIT away, and all I remember her saying is something isn't right. I think you need to come home. She'd been gone for school, she'd been with a friend. She didn't even have her own car, but something in my grandmother's voice convinced her, so she rented it something. She came home, and by the time that the fever got so bad that she was having to lay on me to keep the chills from shaking the bed, she decided she was done. We were going to the er. I don't really remember much from them now it gets really hazy. I remember being super uncomfortable. I remember begging my mom to go home. I just wanted my bed. I wanted to sleep. The doctors were asking me to do all these things that I couldn't do. I couldn't stand up, I couldn't stay conscious, and they were asking me to touch my chin to my chest and I couldn't do it it hurts so bad. And that's when things started to get scary. I didn't know until later that they told my family that I was going to die. And I was like in the room, like laying on the bed, and my mother demanded that i'd be moved to the hospital that was in the bigger city. It was an hour away, and they said that I wouldn't make it. And then there was one doctor who came into the room said he was giving me an ambulance and that he would have a friend waiting for my arrival because he was very scared that this was something very serious. Everything after that kind of comes in flashes. I remember the night sky becoming the roof of an ambulance. I remember my mother's face while she stroked my hair. I remember being pulled away from her so they could do a spinal tap, which was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me in my entire life. I remember too many hands on me while they moved me to a stretcher. I remember my father arriving, which was like a big deal of My dad actually came to a hospital, and I remembered my pediatrician because I had been so healthy up into my teen years that I hadn't actually acquired a GP yet. I remember hazard suits because I didn't actually know if what I had was bacterial or viral. I was so dehydrated that they blew my vein trying to give me IVS. I was still maninurish that I lost fifteen pounds in the hospital. I was so weak that I had to relearn how to walk, and I remember thinking that I was going to die, and I was okay with that, and it was actually well before the results came in West nilmanuingitis. I missed two weeks of school between treatment and recovery. It took even longer to return to normal, and my classmates had to help me carry things between classes because the locks were too long and my body was too exhausted. And I remember my teacher was giving me gift baskets and extensions on my homework, and my family members made me homemade cine mem roles. He gave my weight back, And it didn't occur to me until much later that everyone was doing this because I wasn't supposed to make it. Everyone had said that I was going to die. Preparations had been made at the school for me to not come back, and because I did, nobody wanted to let me research what had almost killed me. They waited patiently for my obsession with it to disappear, and it did until I started listening to your podcasts.
Speaker 2: That's well, thank you so much, Reagan for taking the time to tell your story.
Speaker 3: Wow, I mean what a story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, it's absolutely terrifying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, seriously. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Hi, I'm Erin Welsh.
Speaker 4: And I'm Erin Allman Updyke and this is this podcast will kill you. Welcome to West Now Virus. Welcome to West Style Virus.
Speaker 2: And what is our second to last episode of this season?
Speaker 4: I really truly can't believe that we've made it this far. Erin, I'm going to be completely honest.
Speaker 2: I mean same and yeah, so we are after the end of this season, so not this episode, but the one after will be the last of the season.
Speaker 4: We're going to be taking a short break.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, we won't be gone forever.
Speaker 4: We'll be back. We'll be back.
Speaker 2: So you know, make sure that you're subscribed to the podcast to all of our social media so you know what we're doing in the break and also when we're coming out with a new episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or any other fun surprises that could happen. Who knows. We don't know. Anything could happen. Anything could happen.
Speaker 2: But yeah, West Nile, Aaron, this is our first mosquito born one of this season.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 4: I guess it is. I'm going to be totally honest this season, I don't even remember what things we've done. I know we did shagus, so I know that was a vector Boyne disease.
Speaker 2: I'm just also surprised that we hadn't done West Nile yet, Like, this is a this is kind of a big deal.
Speaker 4: Oh, Aaron, you could just play a broken record of us in our intros saying the exact same thing for every single episode.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 3: It is true.
Speaker 7: Oh man, It's gonna be a good episode though.
Speaker 2: It is for a number of reasons. So you just heard that incredible first hand account. And we have another fantastic guest lined up for this episode to help shed some light on the ecology of West Nile virus. And one of the most exciting things you have to stay tuned for the very very end of the episode, and that's because there is a West Nile rap al rap It is called West Nile Story and it is by friend of the podcast mc bugsy, who made it in collaboration with the Fairfax County Health Department working in the Disease Carrying Insects program Fairfax County, Virginia.
Speaker 3: I had to look that up.
Speaker 4: I am so excited for everyone to hear it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So it is absolutely a fantastic song. And not only that, like this is not mc bugsy's only song, So make sure you go to YouTube. We'll provide a link, don't worry, and you can check out all of the raps. There's even one about COVID vaccines.
Speaker 4: It is incredible, awesome. Well and speaking of classic TPWKY, it's about time for quarantiney.
Speaker 2: It is what are we drinking this week?
Speaker 4: We're drinking for the birds.
Speaker 2: Which, like we want to make sure that you know, it's for the opposite of the reason that people.
Speaker 3: Usually say for the birds.
Speaker 2: We wanted to name it this to honor the birds.
Speaker 4: It's for the bird.
Speaker 3: It is for the birds. This is for the birds.
Speaker 2: Can we say it?
Speaker 4: What is in for the birds?
Speaker 2: Erin so for the birds is actually based on an existing cocktail also named after a bird called the yellow Bird cocktail.
Speaker 4: Very apt, very apt it is.
Speaker 2: And that is made with white rum, orange liqueur galiano and lime juice.
Speaker 4: Delish.
Speaker 3: It is tart and delish.
Speaker 4: We'll post a full recipe for that quarantini as well as our non alcoholic plasy Bereta on our website This Podcast will kill You dot Com and all of our social media channels.
Speaker 2: Absolutely other business website stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, always check out our website This podcast will kill You dot Com?
Speaker 3: Should we even go through?
Speaker 4: Like what's on the website? I mean everything? Is there anything that you could want? It's there? Yeah, it is. Should we just get started on this episode? Can we? Let's take a quick break and then dive straight in? West Nile virus is a flava virus, which listeners of this show should be very familiar with by now because we've covered so many other flava viruses, right, dange virus, yellow fever, hepatitis, see even so many viruses we're running out of laviviruses to cover. Just kidding, there's always more, but anyways, flaviviruses for anyone who hasn't listened to every one of our episodes, is a large family of RNA viruses, many of which are transmitted by arthropod vectors to animals and humans. West nilevirus causes a disease that primarily is what's called enzootic. That is, it has a cycle that is completely independent of humans. It's essentially a vector born disease of wildlife. This cycle is maintained in nature, specifically through an avian mosquito cycle. So birds and mosquitoes, where mostly mosquitoes in the genus Qlex feed on avian or bird hosts. They pick up the virus in their blood meal and then it passes through their gut, makes it to the salivary glands, they spit it back out, and then transmit it to other birds. And that's the primary cycle. Simple enough, Yeah, simple enough, especially compared to a lot of things that we cover. Will make it more complicated, don't worry.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: It's thought that the virus is able to persist and perpetuate even in temperate regions of the world where adult mosquitoes aren't present all year round, both via adult mosquitoes that undergo diapause, so the virus persists in overwintering adults that are just not active. I have also seen that it's also possible that adult mosquitoes transmit it transovarially. I don't know how common that is, but it's also possible that migratory birds play a large role, bringing in virus from areas of higher transmission or places where you have year round transmission, or even just harboring low levels of virus, and then during their migration cycles bringing that virus back to temperate areas. But in any case, this avian mosquito cycle is the main enzootic cycle of West Nile virus, and birds are the predominant reservoir host for Westnile virus in North America alone. Hundreds of species of birds have been shown to be competent reservoir hosts, so harboring the virus whether or not they get sick and show symptoms, and the majority of bird species do seem to survive infection relatively unscathed. Don't worry, someone else is going to talk a lot more about this virus in birds. I'm going to focus on this virus in people. But other than birds and people, other animals can get infected as well. Importantly, horses also get infected relatively frequently, But humans and horses are what are called dead end hosts. That means that while we can become infected when a mosquito bites us and we can get sick, we can get clinical disease. Humans and horses don't actually contribute to the cycle of infection, so mosquitoes that then feed on us don't tend to become infected from feeding on infected people, right, And so I am going to focus on this disease as it manifests in humans. But like we kind of said upfront, it's also very important to understand the ecology and persistence of this disease is a lot more complex than just the human side of it. So we'll get to that and I'm really excited to get to that later. All Right, just focusing then on humans, let's talk about what it looks like when a person gets West Nile disease. First off, it's unclear exactly how infectious West Nile virus is. That is, how many people who get bitten by mosquitoes harboring West Nile virus actually go on to become infected. We don't really know well.
Speaker 2: And I would also imagine that the amount of virus varies mosquito to mosquito.
Speaker 4: Definitely absolutely, I would yes. So we really don't know what the overall infectiousness of Westnile virus is, but we do know that of those people who get infected, about twenty five percent some estimates say twenty to forty percent, but most that I've seen are around twenty or twenty five percent of people will develop symptomatic disease aka West Nile fever, and about one in one hundred and fifty to two hundred and fifty, or less than one percent of those people will develop what's called neuroinvasive disease or sometimes it's called WNND Wesnile neuroinvasive disease. And this includes one of three possible rologic manifestations that are common. And then there's also honestly any range of neurologic complications that can happen, but the three big ones are West Nile encephalitis, West Nile meningitis, and West Nile acute flaccid paralysis. And because I know you're gonna ask me, Aaron, we don't fully know why exactly it is that some people get invasive disease and others don't. But I know I can see you're down trotic face, It's true, we have some ideas. Okay, it's likely a combination of that viral load like you already mentioned, so how much virus do you get injected with from this mosquito to begin with, and then a lot of other individual risk factors like older age, especially over age sixty five or seventy is very strongly associated with increased risk of neuroinvasive disease, and then other things like hypertension, kidney disease, things that are affect your overall immune status. Also, West Nile virus being a disease transmitted by mosquitoes into your bloodstream is a disease that can also then potentially be transmitted from things like organ transplants, and people who have gotten West Nile infection from things like organ transplants are also far more likely to develop neuroinvasive disease compared to those that get infected from mosquitoes. Interesting, okay, but that is very rare. I'm just saying so. Generally, the incubation period for Westnile fever is anywhere from two to fourteen days most of the time, and symptoms can really range from a pretty mild, almost flu like illness to like I mentioned a very debilitating neuroinvasive disease, but in most people it often starts like this, a sudden onset of headache, very sudden onset of a pretty bad headache, generalized malaise, just feeling really crappy, a fever, muscle aches, and then fatigue, And very often as this fever starts to subside, a rash will develop, usually along the torso and then extending out to the arms and legs. And this rash actually looks kind of like the rash from measles. So it's like what we call maculo popular. It's little red, flat little spots with raised little bumps inside. Yeah, it's the kind of rash that really like, a lot of different viruses cause similar rashes. Unlike measles, this doesn't tend to go head down. This is just like a torso to extremities type rash. Why why great question? I have the slightest idea. Honestly, a lot of viruses cause similar rashes like this. So whether it's a combination of the damage that that virus is doing to your cells versus just that kind of generalized immune response causing that rash, I don't know the answer. Yeah, rashes, rashes, let's ask a dermologist. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have a question about the complications the neuroinvasive disease.
Speaker 4: Oh, don't worry, We're going to get there, Aaron.
Speaker 2: Okay, But I'm just the breakdown among them. So you mentioned the three different kinds. Yeah, what is the breakdown of those?
Speaker 4: That's a good question. I actually don't have a good handle on the breakdown everything. Just sort of said less than one percent will develop these complications, okay. And part of it, I think is probably because there's a bit of a spectrum, like it doesn't mean that you maybe only have one of the three. You might have some acute flaccid paralysis with a little meningitis. You might have a meningio encephalitis. Yeah, but that's a good question. Also, I think because it is so rare, we probably don't have really good numbers to be able to break it down when it's less than one percent. Okay, okay, But the rash back to that that those type of kind of mild symptoms can last anywhere from a handful of days to up to a few weeks, So this can be a pretty prolonged course of illness, even if it's not severe. Now, if it progresses to that narrow invasive disease, the symptoms then just kind of look like whatever part of your nervous system is being invaded by this virus. So, in the case of West Nile meningitis, the symptoms look like meningitis, which is a sudden onset of fever, a very very massive headache, stiff neck, photophobia which is difficulty looking at light and it becomes very painful to look at light. If it progresses to encephalitis, then you often have those same meningial symptoms, but then you also will have things like altered level of consciousness, which means you can slip into a coma essentially, or just personality changes because of swelling and inflammation in different areas of your actual brain. And West Nile encephalitis tends to be the most severe with the worst outcomes.
Speaker 2: Okay, and so this might be a very basic question, But does it always progress meningitis and then encephalitis.
Speaker 4: No, not necessarily, and we'll get to that in just a minute kind of maybe, well, let me just keep going. So West Nile virus also then can cause acute flaccid paralysis aarin. Do you remember what other disease we've covered that does the exact same thing. Oh you remembered so quickly.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, but I have to confess I've watched like a bunch of YouTube on West Nile virus, and there was one where like a physician came on and talked about it, yeah, and was like, I haven't seen a polio case, but this is apparently exactly like polio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they actually call it poliomyelitis, even though it's caused by a completely different virus, which I think confuses me. It confused me too. It was like, but wait, yeah, but basically what can happen is that if West Nile virus specifically infects the anterior horn cells of the spinal cord. This is the part of our spinal cord where our motor neurons exit the spinal cord, that is the exact same area that poliovirus infects and causes swelling and then damage. And so this looks just like polio did. Your muscles and your limbs go weak. In the case of West Nile virus, it's often asymmetric, so it can look a lot like a stroke.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 4: It is interesting. Why is it asymmetric. I don't know, and it's not always. It's just that oftentimes it can be okay. Presumably it's just that this is where the virus ended up.
Speaker 2: So if somebody goes to the hospital and presents with acute flaccid paralysis, are there other things like or is West Nile sort of top of the list? I mean, depending of course on geography, their history, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Depending It would depend on all those things. And West Nile virus. Of course, polio can also cause it, but that's generally not around most of the world these days. I don't know if there are other viruses. I imagine there are a handful of other viruses that can do that. One way that might differentiate this from stroke could be a range, especially if it's someone who has no other risk factors coming in. Importantly, West Nile virus tends to not affect your cranial nerves, and strokes often do so if you think of they have like those you know, public information campaigns about looking for a drooping face. That's when your cranial nerves are affected, which tends to not be affected with West Nile. In fact, in many cases West Nile acute flacid paralysis can mimic gion Beret disease. Huh, but gion Beret usually has sensory symptoms as well, and West Nile tends to not, although it can huh. Okay, I know it's complicated. It's complicated. And with any of these neuroinvasive versions of West Nile virus, you may also have some other signs things like nausea, vomiting, you might have a rash, you might have vision changes. So it's the constellation of all these symptoms. It tends to not just be one symptom isolated. And some people have like a viral prodrome, so some kind of mild viral type symptoms fever, chills, feeling cruddy, pride to the onset of these invasive symptoms. Others don't or at least don't remember having one. So the good news is that for most cases of West Nile virus, even the neuroinvasive cases, people tend to make a full recovery. However, the worst outcomes do tend to be in people who progress to encephalitis. And when we look at all of the neuroinvasive disease lumped together, so this is meningitis encephalitis AFP, but really the fatality tends to come from encephalitis or meningitis. In those neuroinvasive disease cases, the case fatality rate can be as high as ten percent overall, or even higher for those that are older than seventy and for many, many people, especially with this neurologic symptoms, the recovery process can be very very slow, taking up to a year or more. And in some cases, especially with this acute flacid paralysis or in some cases with encephalitis, people may lose function that they never are able to regain because nerves are damaged. Things are damage that just are not able to recover, and.
Speaker 2: The damage is caused by just inflammation by the viruses, you know, being there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that's the question, right, right, right, that's the what is the what is the path of physiology of this disease? I haven't even I haven't even started to talk about it. So here let's try, shall we. Let's do it? Okay, So, being a virus, we all know by now that viruses have to invade our cells in order to cause disease. It's thought that initially, primarily when we get infected, one of the major cells that West Nile virus tends to infect are our dendritic cells, which are one of our immune cells that usually help to present antigens to our immune system like a flag so that we can make antibodies. So it's a pretty good cell for a virus to hide within, and westnilvirus, like many other flavaviruses, is very good at suppressing our overall immune response to infection. So as it invades these dendritic cells, those cells travel to our lymph nodes because that's where they like to go to present their antigens. But westnilvirus is then able to escape from those dendritic cells from our lymph nodes, enter our blood stream and travel wherever it wants. And as we've just gone over, one of the big hallmarks of west nile virus is that it somehow can make it from our blood stream into our central nervous system, our spinal cord, our Meningji's or our actual brain. So how is it actually able to do this? Like, how can it be so neuroinvasive? We're supposed to have a blood brain barrier that's supposed to literally stop this, and the answer is that we don't know exactly how it's able to do this. How is it so good at evating our immune response and making its way into our central nervous system. There are four at least different hypotheses. One is that it just releases or causes us to release a lot of cytokines. Probably a lot of people have heard of cytokines by now because of COVID and our influenza episode way back when. But these basically just increase the permeability of our vascular membranes, allowing more things to pass through. It's so that inflammation can get in there to do its job, but it also allows for viruses to make it across that blood brain barrier. That's one hypothesis. The second is that it actually just can warm its way by entering through our endothelial cells, those cells that line the blood brain barrier. It can invade those cells and then make it through. Another possible hypothesis is that it invades via macrophages. Ah right, So macrophages are another one of our white blood cells that sometimes move across the blood brain barrier for our protection. But this virus can potentially be harbored within those macrophases. And finally, my favorite hypothesis is maybe it does a little bit of rabies and it actually travels on our neurons and does retrograde axonal transport all the way to our central nervous system.
Speaker 3: Ah, that is scary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we don't know, We don't know which of those tends to be the biggest driver and why. Huh. Yeah, it's especially interesting because again, neuroinvasive disease can be very serious, but it's very rare in West Nile, and yet it's also one of the most common causes of viral certainly of vector borne viral and stephal in North America. Right. Interesting, it's very interesting. So I don't have a good answer for you erin in terms of how much of this damage is caused by viral damage directly versus our immune response and inflammation therein, because we don't even fully understand how this virus even makes it into our central nervous system to begin with.
Speaker 2: So there are other flavvy viruses that invade the central nervous system, certainly, And do we know the mechanisms for this, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't, But I imagine that these hypotheses that have been proposed, which I didn't come up with have been proposed based on both mouse models of West Nile virus infection as well as other similar flavaviruses like Japanese encephalitis, etc.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's kind of the overall biology. It is, I will say, relatively easy to diagnose, but also of course difficult to diagnose in other ways. Mainly, we tend to diagnose by looking for antibodies to the virus, which tend to be apparent after about eight days after the onset of symptoms. Most of the time you can find them after that amount of time, but you have to be able to test like between eight and twenty one days after symptoms start for that test to be accurate. You can test for the virus itself, but then those tests are sometimes hard to come by depending on where you live, etc.
Speaker 2: I've also read that it's not easily detectable because humans tend to like circulate less virus in.
Speaker 4: Their bloods right very low levels of virus. And then it also depends on are you testing blood or are you testing cerebrospinal fluid for meningitis or is it just for like a general and felt in general. At least as far as I could tell we don't have any specific antiviral treatment for West Nile virus, so treatment is just supportive, the way that you would treat anybody with a meningitis or an encephalitis that's not bacterial, So just sort of supportive care. And that is the biology of West Nile. Aaron, I know you have a lot to tell me about where this sole virus came from. I do Okay, good shall.
Speaker 2: We Yeah, I'll dive in as soon as we take a quick break. Well, actually, Aaron, this history section is gonna be kind of like a total break from the last few episodes we've done.
Speaker 4: Okay in what way?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, diabetes absolutely enormous history, Anthrax.
Speaker 4: Huge, oh my gosh, so big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Shaga disease, super extensive history, all of it. But the history of West Nile, although it does date back, you know, probably further than you might think, it's fairly what I would say, that's straightforward, okay, Which isn't to say like, that's not to say that it's uninteresting or that it can't tell us anything about big picture science or big picture society or big picture public health issues, because it definitely can.
Speaker 4: Oh, I have no doubt Aaron.
Speaker 2: But before we get to that, we have to start back a bit of course. Where did this virus come from? And how did we get to where we are today with it?
Speaker 4: And what did they say in the ebers pavirus Well, sadly or not sadly, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It doesn't seem to be mentioned, at least that I could gather try So, like you mentioned, Aaron, West Nile virus is a flavvy virus, and it's related to other flavvy viruses, like you know, the ones you named yellow fever virus, which I honestly it's been so long that I don't remember if I covered this in that episode. But the name flavvy virus actually comes from the Latin word flavus for yellow, which I also think then kind of adds a fun little layer to the base to the recipe for our drink.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I agree. Also, I can't remember if you said that in Yellow Fever either, so I'm glad that you told us again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, danky virus, seek a virus, Japanese encephalitis virus, Saint Louis and cephalitis virus, take born encephalitis virus, and.
Speaker 4: So on, so many so many, many, and.
Speaker 2: Of all of these flavvy viruses, West Nile virus is one of the earliest described and one of the most widely distributed.
Speaker 7: Huh, yeah, I know, it was a little surprising. Yeah, I knew it was widely distributed. I didn't know it was one of the earliest ones get.
Speaker 4: Into Oh I am.
Speaker 2: So we can use things like zerological studies and genomic analyses to tell us how it came to have what is basically this global distribution, and what it looks like is that West Nile virus evolved in Africa. I don't have an exact or even a rough date estimate for that, or an exact location or even a rough location, but that's where serological studies show that the virus is circulating continuously and has been that way for quite some time. And this year round transmission is in contrast with the past veterans in other places such as Europe, where West Nile virus was introduced from Africa via migratory birds and where it tends to pop up in this more seasonal transient form. And West Nile virus was brought to India via trade, probably around like the early eighteen hundreds, eighteen twenties or so when there was extensive trade between Africa and India, and then to like Australia or the Australasia region in the mid eighteen hundreds. And this last one, like how it got to Australia is a bit of a mystery because there are apparently no bird migrations that connect Australia and Africa. Although any bird friends nick, yeah, Fred Cole, Maria Nate nick, we.
Speaker 4: Have a lot of bird friends.
Speaker 2: Do have a lot of bird friends, way in if you know something else, but yeah, so it because of that, it's been suggested that West nolevirus was actually introduced to Australia from Africa in a similar way that yellow fever virus was brought to North America from infected mosquitoes on ships carrying enslaved people as Europeans traveled to Australia from Africa. Oh okay, And it seems that really the only place where Westnile virus is not present besides like the Arctic and Antarctica, is in a lot of parts of Eastern Asia, and the reasons for that are not quite clear. Maybe it's like a competition thing with other encephalitis viruses, I don't know. A mosquito incompatibility, hosting compatibility.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And I'm not going to get too much into the details of like the different lineages and the clades that the virus can be broken down into, because there's a lot, but just to say that they do exist and that they can help us in new outbreaks to see where the virus is coming from and identify ways that it got there. For instance, like was it a single introduction event or multiple It's thought that West Nile virus was introduced to Europe and North America in several independent introduction events, while it was brought to Australia in just one. And then how much has the virus evolved since arriving in a new area? Are there path of physiological differences among the different clades that could have clinical implications or ecological differences that could change the way we control it, et cetera. So it's a useful area. It's just like a lot of minute detail that sort of open ended questions in some ways.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mentioned that West Nile virus was one of the earliest described flappy viruses, but the way that it happened was kind of a fluke.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: In nineteen thirty seven, researchers were conducting a wide scale epidemiological study on yellow fever in Uganda and a person from the West Nile District of Northern Uganda was brought into the study presenting with a fever. But when they tested this person's serum against yellow fever virus, it didn't match. Instead, it looked to be more similar to other flabby viruses that caused encephalitis, Saint Louis encephalitis and Japanese b encephalitis viruses, and even though the person only had a fever, they noted that it seemed to have neurotropic tendencies. The researchers described this new virus in a paper in nineteen forty, which is like older than I expected for we style virus.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, I just have to complain here for a second because that paper published in nineteen forty is eighty one years ago. Yeah, is still behind a paywall?
Speaker 4: Are you serious?
Speaker 3: I am serious.
Speaker 4: That's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like, can we just make everything open access? It would make the world of place.
Speaker 4: Okay, eighty one years old, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Wow, frustrating anyway, So why did I call the discovery of West Nile virus a fluke? Well, for one, it was discovered kind of accidentally, like those researchers weren't out looking for the cause of an outbreak of unexplained febrile illness. And for two over the next sixty years or so after its discovery, westnyle virus was not really considered that much, like, it didn't rank that highly on the list of pathogens of public health importance. Yeah, now, there were a lot of other and there still are a lot of other mosquito born viruses that cause a lot more widespread morbidity and mortality, and so West Nile virus was kind of just like, oh, that's just another one of those flappy viruses, right. And the third reason is that you know, like we talked about in the biology, the virus isn't often easily isolated and infected humans like in blood. So the fact that they were able to ice related at all, I think is kind of interesting. So it wasn't until the nineteen fifties that the first outbreaks of West Nile virus were observed, like the first time that people recognized that West Nile virus could be capable of causing widespread outbreak.
Speaker 4: Like an outbreak, not just like an incidental disease here and there exactly.
Speaker 2: And that started with the first recognized epidemic in Israel in nineteen fifty one, one hundred and twenty three cases occurred in a small town the size of three hundred and three people.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, you said, one hundred and sixty cases in a one hundred and three hundred.
Speaker 2: One hundred and twenty three out of three hundred people here.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, I know that's a pretty high attack rate, really really high.
Speaker 2: No fatalities occurred, and in fact, most of the people affected were children. But this was the first time, really that the various disease symptoms that this virus can cause were recognized, things like you already mentioned, you know, fever, headache, abdominal pain, vomiting, etc. And around the same time as this epidemic in Israel or not long after, a series of outbreaks of West Nile virus popped up in Egypt. And during these outbreaks a lot more ground was covered in terms of understanding the disease ecology, clinical characteristics, and epidemiological patterns for instance, this is when researchers realized that a large proportion of people infected never showed any symptoms, that children in these areas tended to have more symptomatic illness, but adolescents and adults tended to have higher zero prevalence, so suggesting that like in these places where the virus was endemic and like continuously circulating, people were likely exposed to the virus at a young age.
Speaker 4: Interesting. Interesting, interesting Yeah.
Speaker 2: And researchers also in these early outbreaks in the nineteen fifties found the virus in many species of birds and also in some species of mammals, and this is when they made the link between mosquitos.
Speaker 3: And the virus.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, wow, a lot oh yeah, a.
Speaker 3: Lot of ground.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And finally, some of the neurological complications of infection were observed during these early outbreaks in Israel and Egypt, things like these rare instances of meningitis or encephalitis. But overall, these outbreaks really kind of served to reinforce the idea in many ways that West Nile virus was mostly asymptomatic or if anything, generally like a mild mosquito born illness. And this prevailing perception can be seen in the experimental infection studies that took place in Egypt during this time, where people with terminal cancer were intentionally infected with the virus to see if the resulting fever would help suppress the cancer's growth.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, well, this was actually.
Speaker 2: Apparently like a fairly common or at least occasional type of experimental treatment during this time that people were like exploring or looking into interesting.
Speaker 4: Was it effective?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because again I don't have access to this old paper either.
Speaker 8: From grade nineteen fifties, which is kind of annoying, which also means that I couldn't read between the lines to see whether this falls under you know, actual experiment or medicalized torture.
Speaker 2: You know, does volunteer have quotes around it? Yeah, et cetera. Ok, Yeah, but these studies were terminated when several of the people who were infected developed encephalitis.
Speaker 4: Makes sense, Yeah, reasonable stopping point.
Speaker 2: But during these studies, the researchers also did make some important observations in terms of things like viremia, like how much virus was circulating and when and how long it could be detected, and how the amount of virus circulating correlated with the severity disease.
Speaker 4: Okay, So following.
Speaker 2: These outbreaks in Egypt and Israel, West Nile virus continued to make sporadic appearances across parts of Africa, the Mediterranean and Europe, popping up in France, South Africa, Russia, Spain, and India and some other places. And in the course of these epidemics, it became more apparent that this virus can absolutely cause neurological disease in some people, which might have brought it more research attention at the time. So like in the fifties and sixties, if not for the fact that large outbreaks of the virus all but stopped throughout the nineteen seventies and nineteen eighties, like they just I don't know whether it was just like observation plummeted, or the ecology made it to just like really put it in a lull period.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But in nineteen ninety six, a new era of West Nile virus began, first with a large epidemic in southern Romania.
Speaker 4: And not only was this one of the.
Speaker 2: Biggest recognized outbreaks of West Nile virus, with at least three hundred and ninety three hospitalizations and seventeen deaths, and who knows how many actual infections, But it also involved a lot of neurological cases, and it was the first to happen in what was basically a mostly urban area, whereas previous outbreaks had been more rural. And over the next couple of years it became clear that this wasn't like, this wasn't a one off. West Nile virus seemed to be undergoing a change in its epidemiology After the epidemic in Romania. The virus popped up in Morocco in nineteen ninety six, in Tunisia in nineteen ninety seven, in Italy and Israel in nineteen ninety eight, and in Russia in nineteen ninety nine, and like the nineteen ninety six Romanian outbreak, these were also in urban areas, seemed to have higher rates of neurological involvement with a higher fatality, and had a tendency to impact mostly people in older age groups. So by the time August nineteen ninety nine rolled around, the pattern had already been set. But West Nyle virus still held one more big surprise for everyone, and that was that it had made the leap across the ocean and into North America.
Speaker 4: Ooh, big splash, big splash.
Speaker 2: So far West style virus I think has taught us a couple of really important lessons, or at least like reemphasize them. And since Aaron, you're like, we've talked about this many times and listeners, if you've tuned in before, these are going to sound familiar, but I'm gonna say them anyway. The first is to not underestimate a virus.
Speaker 4: Never underestimate a virus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, many viruses that appeared mild at first can go on to have serious complications or long term effects. Not all, of course, but the potential is there. Like remember chicken.
Speaker 4: Pox for instance.
Speaker 3: Remember it.
Speaker 2: And the second lesson is that human movement and human modification of the environment can alter the dynamics of infection in a very major way. Yeah, this isn't new stuff, but it's definitely important stuff. And so these two lessons were also learned during what would be the first epidemic of West Nile virus in North America, beginning in August of nineteen ninety nine. But that outbreak also carried with it another hugely important warning. Human health is wildlife health is domestic animal health is environmental health. It's all connected.
Speaker 4: What's that, It's all connected. What's that A one health approach, A.
Speaker 3: One health approach.
Speaker 2: So let's get into it. Do you remember the nineteen ninety nine West Nile virus outbreak at all?
Speaker 4: You know, I've I remember when West Nile virus became a thing because my dad had a pond in the backyard and it was like, oh no, we can't have a pond anymore because West now virus made it to California. Mm huh. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't remember specifically, like the nineteen ninety nine one, but I remember suddenly it was like West Nile mosquitoes. Yeah, you know, put on that off whatever all the time. All I knew was that it appeared and then that was it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So let me fill in some of the details.
Speaker 4: Some of our gaps and memory.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, beginning in the summer of nineteen ninety nine, all over New York City, crows started dropping dead. It was like dropping out of the sky, just dead. Everywhere you went you could find the carcasses of dead crows. And maybe if you lived in New York City at the time, you might have seen some of these dead crows and thought, oh gross, these poor crows, probably rat poison. Who knows, bad pizza? I don't know, and then went on with your day. But the sight of these crows brought a lot more alarm to one person, in particular, doctor Tracy McNamara, who was the lead pathologist at the Bronx Zoo. If these crows were dying of some kind of infectious disease, the birds at the zoo, some of which were rare or endangered, were at serious risk. And that risk soon became a reality when some of the zoo birds began to die, starting with a snowy owl. Oh no, And this definitely pointed towards an infectious agent.
Speaker 4: But like, what was it?
Speaker 2: Doctor McNamara examined some brain tissue from the dead birds under the scope to try to answer that question, and what she saw, in her own words, took her breath away.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Quote, it was the worst encephalitis I'd seen in eighteen years as a comparative pathologist.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, staggering.
Speaker 2: Not far away at Flushing Hospital in Queens, an unusual number of encephalitis cases began coming in, some with paralysis and some leading to death, but these were in humans rather than birds.
Speaker 3: Just to clarify, and.
Speaker 2: These encephalitis cases were clustered enough in time and space to make an infectious disease specialist at the hospital, doctor Debbie Asns, wonder whether there might be a link among them, so she brought in the Department of Health to ask the patient's question after question about where they ate, what they ate, where they worked, where they lived, what train they rode, what shampoo they used, and so on. The only commonality among them seemed to be that they enjoyed spending a lot of time outside, especially in the evenings, and household surveys of where they lived showed that there had been a lot of mosquito breeding habitats around. Could it be a mosquito born out break? It had been a long time since something like that had happened in New York. Yeah, I remember, this was before Zeka.
Speaker 4: This was like way before, way before before. Yeah, this is like but it was.
Speaker 2: Still a possibility, like enough so that doctor Asnes sent off samples to the CDC to have them test for any known infectious agents, which side note deserves some major props because there are plenty of doctors who would have chalked up the cases to coincidence, like there isn't always an answer in medicine, and there are plenty of unexplained fevers or illnesses that resolve themselves without revealing what they really are. And so for doctor Asnes to send out those samples is like in many ways, I think going above and beyond and likely helped enact control measures earlier than.
Speaker 3: They would have otherwise.
Speaker 2: And so off those samples went to the CDC, and before long they came back with a match with an answer, Saint Louis and cephalitis virus. And this seemed like a reasonable explanation. Saint Louis and cephalitis virus is a rare mosquito born virus that can, as its name suggests, cause encephalitis, and it's a flabby virus.
Speaker 4: But that answer, which.
Speaker 2: Was now by this time reported in the news outbreak of Saint Louis and cephalitis, that didn't sit right with doctor Tracy and McNamara. After hearing about the human encephalitis cases, she felt very strongly that there was a link between those cases and the sick and dying birds at the zoo. But if she was right and there was such a link. It couldn't be Saint Louis and cephalitis virus because birds can't get that virus.
Speaker 4: And so she reached out to.
Speaker 2: The CDC with her concerns and urged them to test some of her samples to see if there was a match to the human samples. But the CDC turned her down really really okay, partly because it was a bureaucracy thing. Yeah, like the testing of animal samples, all animal health stuff that fell under the jurisdiction of like the USDA, I think, And it was a totally different like the CDC in some ways. They were like, well, we don't have the capabilities to do this. This isn't like we're not allowed to do this in the you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the job in trip. It's so interesting because as you were saying, like she reached out to the CDC, I was like, Wow, how does one just reach out to the CDC? Like that's a good question.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess if you're like the lead pathologists at a zoo, you might have some.
Speaker 4: I would think you'd have an in somehow. Yeah, but it's a bummer that she couldn't get around whatever bureaucracy existed.
Speaker 2: It was bureaucracy. But I think the other part was that she kind of ran into a lot of resistance wherever she faced. And that's like, that's how she described it because at that time, like there was this prevailing attitude that, you know, human health and wildlife health weren't necessarily connected, and so the death of a few birds at a zoo like that doesn't have anything to do with the people sick with encephalitis at the hospital. Plus we already have an answer.
Speaker 4: I just it's a lot of times erin on this podcast, we have stories like that from like the eighteen hundreds where you look back and you're like, it was so obvious, how did you not see it? And like this was nineteen ninety nine. So it feels painful.
Speaker 2: It does, and yeah, and it's it's also just kind of like I think the aspect of the bureaucracy is frustrating.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, But doctor McNamara didn let that stand in her way her rejection from by the CDC, so she sought out some colleagues in the army. I'd asked them to test her samples. Awesome, and they did, and what they found was not Saint Louis encephalitis virus, but rather a virus that hadn't ever been detected in North America before, of course.
Speaker 4: West Nile virus West now virus.
Speaker 2: Suddenly the CDC became interested and stopped screening doctor McNamara's calls, just kidding. They re examined the samples from doctor Asna's patients, and sure enough West nolvirus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's not surprising that it cross reacted.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, not at all. That's like, I think that's a very reasonable thing for to happen. I guess, yeah, And so I'm not one hundred percent clear on the timeline, but I did watch an interview with doctor McNamara where she estimated that there was about a two or two and a half month delay resulting from the CDC not testing her samples. And so it's a couple of months where public health departments and wildlife health researchers could have gotten ahead of this virus and like to try to begin awareness campaigns and control efforts. And I think that, you know, one of the biggest lessons is that this nineteen ninety nine West Nile virus outbreak revealed how siloed we were, and in many ways still are in terms of monitoring the links between human, wildlife and environmental health.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's something we just touched upon in our anthrax episode.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is like what good is a canary or crow in the coal mine if you ignore it when it signals danger, or if you can't figure out what that danger is because you lack the diagnostic tools. This initial outbreak of westnyle virus in New York involved and estimated eighty two hundred human infections, eighty percent of which were asymptomatic, and the remaining twenty percent were mostly those with mild febrile illness, and then less than one percent develop this neuroinvasive disease. But in terms of confirmed cases, those numbers were a lot lower, sixty two cases I think, in seven deaths something around there.
Speaker 4: Very well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the nineteen ninety nine outbreak in New York City was not an isolated event. It continued on to New Jersey and then to Connecticut, and it seemed likely that it.
Speaker 4: Was here to stay.
Speaker 2: The National surveillance program ARBONNET was created by the CDC and state health departments to monitor bird and human disease to be on the lookout for potential outbreaks of arboviral disease like West Nile, and one good indicator of an upcoming outbreak is the die off of birds preceding the emergence of West Nile virus in an area. And that's exactly what happened in two thousand and two in the huge epidemic of West Nile in North America, reaching all the way to Montana and Texas and as far north as Quebec and Ontario. And this dwarfed the nineteen ninety nine outbreak in New York with over forty one hundred confirmed cases of the disease and two hundred and eighty four deaths, and I don't know how many estimated infections, but with a lot of the cases of severe disease and just general illness happening in the midwest US, so like it had kind.
Speaker 4: Of shifted its distribution.
Speaker 2: In the period of just a couple of years, this virus had traveled incredible distances, but we still don't know exactly how it got to the US. It's possible that it was introduced from Israel, but the mechanism is unclear and we may never know for sure. But in the time since these epidemics, we have learned a lot about the virus and its ecology. We've learned that horses can become sick with the virus. We've learned that it can be transmitted through blood transfusions and organ transplantation through the placenta and breast milk. Environmental conditions are hugely important, like warmer temperatures mean a shorter time from infection to infectiousness in the mosquito, and they can also increase viral replication within those mosquitoes. So in cool weather, the mosquito has to live a longer time and in order to pass on the virus to humans, so it has to live longer to become infectious after feeding on the infected bird. Average rainfall years seem to provide suitable conditions or the best conditions for mosquito proliferation. Warm winters mean more mosquitoes survive over winter. All of these bits of information are like pieces of the West Nile virus puzzle.
Speaker 3: The more we gather, the more we.
Speaker 2: Can fit them together to get a better picture of why outbreaks happen, where and when they happen, the role that different bird species play in transmission, and how things like climate change and land use change may alter the landscape of disease risks.
Speaker 3: For this virus.
Speaker 2: And we are so excited to bring on a special guest to help us with a huge chunk of this West Nile virus puzzle. Yes, we told you it was coming, uh huh, And that is the bird part of the puzzle. We'll let her introduce herself right after this break and then after that, Aaron, I want to hear more about like West Nile virus in the world today.
Speaker 4: And I want to tell you about it.
Speaker 6: My name is Sarah Wheeler and I'm currently the biologist at Sacramento Yolo Mosquito.
Speaker 5: And Vector Control District.
Speaker 6: And at the district, I am now focused on applied research into mosquito control. But I started my journey on this path as an ornithologist and I've spent a lot of time investigating the role of wild birds and the spread of West now virus, the spread, amplification and maintenance of West now really and so I'm happy to talk some more about that today.
Speaker 2: Awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to chat. I just kind of want to start off by talking about the effects of Westnile virus on birds. So in this episode so far we have talked about the range of effects that westnle virus has had on humans, things like asymptomatic or mild disease all the way to these severe neurological complications or even death. So can you talk a bit about what infection looks like in birds and is there a similar wide clinical range of symptoms.
Speaker 6: There's absolutely a wide range of symptoms, and it can go from completely asymptomatic in some species or individuals, to debilitating to the point where the animal can't survive on its own, to completely fatal infections, and a lot of this can be somewhat generalized by the species. So we know that some species are more susceptible to westnil virus, So generally we think of passerines or songbirds being more susceptible to westnilvirus. But that is a huge range of bird species, and even within the range of songbirds, some are more refractory than others. And so for a bird that is going to deal with an infection, find you will never even know that they're infected. They might have a couple of days of virhemia or no viremia. That's virus circulating in the blood of the bird to the point where they could infect mosquitoes. They might not infect mosquitoes at all and not really become sick.
Speaker 5: To a bird that produces, you know.
Speaker 6: So much virus in its blood that it could infect any mosquito that feeds on it and it succumbs within four or five days.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's a really wide range.
Speaker 2: Okay, So in the ones that are like severely impacted, what are some of the symptoms that they show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so outward symptoms.
Speaker 6: If you see a bird with West nile, it might be kind of hunched and puffy looking.
Speaker 5: So we were doing some work with house.
Speaker 6: Finches and Westnoile virus and it turned out that they were sitting there just looking very puffed up, and that's a common symptom and a bird that's sick. And those birds actually had really low body temperature, so I think that it was having a hard time dealing with the infection and having trouble them regulating. Some birds develop acute neurological symptoms, so they get tremors or headpilts. So I think that sometimes birds that are in the transition period of just becoming very sick can actually just start acting weird. So we're studying the fatality events of crows in Davis, California, and it turned out that many of the crows that died of trauma actually were infected with West nile. So, I mean, a crow doesn't usually just get hit by a car, but if it's not feeling well, it might not.
Speaker 5: Get out of that gutter. Birds like raptors.
Speaker 6: Can actually develop ocular lesions, which means that they can clear the infection, but then they turn up at wildlife care centers or body condition because they can't hunt for themselves, right.
Speaker 2: So it's not necessarily that a lot of birds are dying outright, or maybe some birds are dying outright from infect but others are dying as a consequence of infection simply because they can't, like you said.
Speaker 3: Exist on their own or survive on their own anymore.
Speaker 5: It's affected their fitness.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, very interesting. And so you know, as you mentioned, there are some birds that seem to be more susceptible to West malavirus infection than others. Do we know anything about the reasons for these differences in susceptibility?
Speaker 6: Know what I really wish I knew this because it's it is a wide range, and like I said before, we think of it as being you know, taxa based, So crows birds in the crow family, so crows, jays, magpies are for the most part exquisitely sensitive to Westnow virus. They're very common dead bird programs. They you know, have higher mortality when exposed.
Speaker 5: They don't all die.
Speaker 6: We don't have a lot of evidence of crows surviving west now, but we definitely have antibody positive js and magpies. This does happen, so they via the infection, they produce antibodies, and that's something that we can detect in different cero surveys. But birds like pigeons, chickens. Chickens are actually really common sentinel birds for west Now virus surveillance. So we put them out in flocks and we bleed them every two weeks and see if they develop antibodies to west Now virus. And this was a really classic way for doing rbavirus surveillance, especially before you had PCR. You could put your chickens out and errology techniques have developed before PCR technique, so this was a really handy way of doing surveillance and chickens show no sign of infection. They don't infect mosquitoes. It's a total dead end post. So what is different between a chicken and a crow. I don't think we understand this, but there's something different. Whether or not it's some sort of pathogen effect where the virus is just not replicating as efficiently, or if it's at the bird is fighting it off more effectively, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think we know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Interesting.
Speaker 2: So a follow up question about susceptibility in birds with West Nile is about geography. So are there any patterns geographically in terms of susceptibility, Like are there do there tend to be more resistant birds in places where the virus has been circulating for you know, a really long time, like I'm talking on the scale of hundreds or thousands of years, versus places where the virus has been introduced more recently, such as in North America.
Speaker 5: I think that that is plausible.
Speaker 6: I mean, we don't see the mortality events where you know, west now virus first evolved that we see in North America. So our birds in North America are living with west now currently, like multiple generations have now been living with West Now and I don't know if we'll ever get to completely asymptomatic, but it's plausible to say that. But what that might look like in North America is an open question because it's not a static system. So how a bird deals with an infection, If it's able to fight that infection off and not develop as strong as a virehemia, then that would push the virus to being more virulent. So there's always that post pathogen interaction. And so West Nile, compared to other arboviruses in North America, has tended to be more virulent, and we thought that this, you know, helped to drive it into more refractory mosquito species. So it took a higher virehemia in order to get our native mosquitoes infected, and so that's kind of helped drive the system. And just over twenty years of West Nile virus, I think that we've seen some species that felt like they were getting more refractory, and it might be happening, but I don't know that we know that for sure. But West now virus transmission is not constant, it's not constant pressure, So you know a population that's under constant pressure might get a lot of west Now exposure for multiple years, and then we have two years of not a lot of west Now pressure, which allows that population to build back up.
Speaker 5: Perhaps you have.
Speaker 6: More open niches and more you know, nesting success, and so it allows populations to recover somewhat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's really fascinating. You do have to consider all the different components of the system and the cycle that it's not just about the bird and the virus. It's also about the mosquito and the bird and the virus and all of these moving parts that are difficult so sometimes get a handle on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean the mosquito is a huge part of this whole situation. Like mosquito is in a way like the driving force of the whole transmission cycle. Because the mosquitoes that transmit west now would almost like nine times out of ten, prefer to feed.
Speaker 5: On a bird, so qelex. They really like to feed on birds. They prefer birds.
Speaker 6: So if you look at blood meal I d studies where people collect blood fed cuelex and you look at the DNA and the blood meal and identify what they fed on, you'll generally.
Speaker 5: See a bird species there.
Speaker 6: Even though nine times out of ten that QLX mosquito is going to feed on a bird.
Speaker 5: If a human is sitting out.
Speaker 6: There, you know, barbecuing or making it easy for the mosquito, the mosquito might just take advantage of that. So that's why it's predominantly a bird mosquito cycle, because the mosquitoes are predominantly feeding on the birds. The birds are the amplifying posts, and that's kind of how it cycles, with it, you know, occasionally spilling over into humans or horses. And I get the question a lot, like what about my dog or my cat, you know, and I think, I'm sure that they're bitten by infected mosquitoes, but we don't see any kind of reports of infection and cats, so probably just another dead end host.
Speaker 2: I'm like now brimming with a bunch of questions about mosquitoes and mosquito ecology and so is it really just sort of availability and opportunity of you know, whatever hosts are there for the mosquitoes, or do these tend to be more sylvatic species, like do they hang out mostly in wooded areas or are they also urban species? You know, what are some of those differences among competent mosquito species.
Speaker 6: So in our area, the two main vectors of western alvirus are kee Wex pipions and Keelex tarsalis.
Speaker 5: QX tarsalis tends.
Speaker 6: To breed more in rural areas, so in our area they breed really heavily in the rice fields that surround our urban centers. But Keelex pipions is totally an urban breeder. They love catch basins, So in your gutter, there's that little grate and there's like a little cement compartment down there that is supposed to catch the debris before it flows out the creek or whatever. Well, those almost all hold water, and so HeLEX pipians can really take advantage of that. A bucket of water in your backyard or you know, a green swimming pool or any source that they.
Speaker 5: Can take advantage of, and those happen quite.
Speaker 6: Regularly in urban areas, so you can definitely have both urban and rural transmission of wesnou virus. So sometimes in urban areas you have a concentration of very competent amplifying hosts. So in the city you see a lot of crows, you see a lot of jays, you see house finches, house sparrows, and all these species are competent amplifying hosts, and then you also have the mosquito, So you have a concentration of players that can contribute to an amplification cycle. When you get out into rural areas, you also have competent amplifying hosts out there, and great the tarsalus is out there. Sometimes you even have pippians and rural species. But you might have an introduction of more species, and sometimes the addition of greater species variety can have a diluting effect on effective transmission. So if you have a range of possible hosts and you know fifty percent of them are great amplifying hosts, that's going to lead to a different transmission cycle than a scenario where twenty five percent of them are great amplifying hosts. So that's why a lot of times you've seen West now be a little bit more urban in nature. I mean, it does happen rurally, absolutely, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So before I shift to talking about sort of more of the role that birds play in the transmission cycle of West malavirus, I want to just ask this, you know, overall question about the impact that West Nile virus has had on bird populations in North America since it's been introduced, and I'm sure that it's not consistent across the board, but have we seen substantial declines in some species and no impact on others.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, especially when West Nile was tearing across the US and there was huge bird die offs across the US, a lot of people were very concerned about different bird species, like zoo collections were even getting hit, and you know, precious animals that you know might be sensitive or in decline, like, there was a lot of concern about what West Snow would do to those burd communities.
Speaker 5: And so myself and other.
Speaker 6: Researchers have spent some time trying to figure out what the impact of West Nile has been on these bird communities.
Speaker 5: And the kind of data that.
Speaker 6: You usually use for these kinds of analysis are some of these big bird census databases. So the Christmas Bird Count or the Breeding Bird Survey can kind of help you understand impacts on bird communities because they've been in place for a long time before West Nile even got here, and so you can look at the impact on those bird communities after west Now and see if there's been any kind of changes in their population dynamics. It's not perfect, right, There's other things that affect birds than West Nile. And I would say, especially like within the first five years, there are species that absolutely saw declines like there are there were declines. So a bird in our area of the yellow bill magpie, it's a bird that's only found in the central Valley of California, Like a huge part of its population was under West Nile virus pressure. Like you could see clear declines in that bird. They're kind of noisy birds. They're like a big black and white bird with a yellow bill, Like you notice them right. Anecdotally, people were saying, yeah, all of a sudden, the magpies were just gone.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, they.
Speaker 6: By their own nature probably helped preserve themselves a bit because not only can yellow bill magpiesself be somewhat nomadic in nature, like West Snile does not exert even pressure every year, and I think that that was what really allowed them to kind of level out and you know, get back on a better track with their population. So that you know, when West Nole first came in, like we had a multiple heavy years of pretty steady transmission and now it's like from year to year it's like, oh, it's a big year for Sacramento and it's not a big year for San Joaquin, and so it moves around, so it's not exerting that constant pressure.
Speaker 5: On that bird population.
Speaker 6: Crows definitely have had some impact, like they're the most sensitive.
Speaker 5: They're just exquisitely sensitive.
Speaker 6: But the odd thing about crows, and this isn't somewhat of a sidebar, they're always underrepresented in mosquito blood meal ID studies. So you're like, well, why we have all these dead crows if mosquitoes aren't them, And so that, I mean that may be a function of just how a crow lives its life or how those blood philip fed mosquitoes are collected.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I mean I think that West Nile has a huge impact on those species.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had heard that about crows, But I think that's really curious about the lack of representation in the mosquito blood samples.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a big story right there. And so it's been a source of debate about why we don't see them represented in bloodmulated idease days and is it that they're not really an important amplifying host despite the fact that they're like exquisitely sensitive to West Nile virus.
Speaker 5: And of the birds that.
Speaker 6: You have been investigated for their response to West Nile infection, their viremias are like some of the highest right, so they produce like the most virus in their blood. Makes them extremely competent amplifying hosts. So it's like, are they not important amplifying hosts with all this virus and a crow, especially if they'll sit there moribund for like two or three days before they actually succumb to infection, so they could just infect any mosquito that comes by to feed on them. And so, but when you do these blood meal I these studies, you find a lot of pigeons, you find doves, you find robins, you find a lot of other species like housewinches, And you're like, well, that leads me to believe that they're more important because that's what mosquitoes are feeding on.
Speaker 3: That is so interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so it's not as cut and dry as the birds that are the most susceptible and most abundant in a community or in an area are the ones that are going to play the biggest role in transmission or risk of exposure to humans, So are there these other ecological characteristics or certain species that do play a role as these reservoir hosts.
Speaker 5: So I feel like.
Speaker 6: I used to see this more clearly than I see it now.
Speaker 5: So I think that.
Speaker 6: Before we had a lot more information, we had, you know, some good baseline data on what types of virenias different species of birds kind of produced. So basically, the higher the virenia, the more likely that a greater number of mosquitoes will be infected to the point where they will then be able to transmit. So that is on itself a spectrum. So a mosquito needs to be able to take enough virus from the bird in order for it to become infected the point where then it can transmit. So birds that produce higher virenias ultimately infect more mosquitoes that can then themselves transmit. I used to think, okay, like pigeons, and they're not great amplifying hosts. Crows, jays, magpies, house pinches, house sparrows. These tend to be you know, pretty good amplifying hosts, especially the corvids. But it's it's like, once you get out of the box of looking at a figure on a paper of what's known about different viroemia profiles for different birds, Like it is a whole assemblage, it's a community of birds, and you know that even like though there's certain patterns that are followed for a given species, individual to individual are going to vary at this point. I mean, we never even used to test morning doves as a part of our dead bird surveillance program because it was like, well, they're not great amplifiers, so we don't even really need to look at them because chances are that they've died.
Speaker 5: Of something else.
Speaker 6: Well, on a whim, we decided to well, let's just test this. And it turns out that no, this species that's pretty much refractory to westnow virus infection can act actually still die of West Nile or it can die with a high amount of virus in its blood and tissues. Which you would think then, is that it actually succumbed to infection. Maybe it didn't, but it had a high amount of virus in its tissues. So it's created like less steady ground for assertions that I would have made in the past, like oh, they're not really playing a role if you have much a doves and maybe that would not be like a community that would produce as much virus as you would think it if there were more crows and j's and things like that around. So when you look at an area, there could be two hundred species in that area. Some of them will maybe never amplify a west Nile. But once you take that scale of birds and run it all the way up to say a crow is the most susceptible in a community, it's going to be a spectrum, right, It's a spectrum. And so as far as do certain assemblages of birds create a more risky west now virus scenario, I think that from a very high level view, urban areas tend to create assemblages of birds that can, you know, lead to amplifying events.
Speaker 5: But it's not ever the bird that is dangerous to people. It's the mosquito.
Speaker 6: Right, So people don't have to worry about protecting themselves from the birds. They have to protect themselves from the mosquito. And so that's why we really when we think about risk, we think about mosquitoes.
Speaker 5: And so we think.
Speaker 6: About, well, how many mosquitoes are in this area, like what proportion of them are infected with west now virus? Like what can we do to interrupt that transmission cycle because it's easier to deal with it and focus on the mosquito and it's the more direct link to exposure. Yes, bird community matter, it matters, but it's it's variable and it's hard to absolutely state what's the best amplifying community.
Speaker 2: You know, right, Ultimately it comes down to the mosquito and how many mosquitoes there are in a certain environment and how often humans are out and so on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So let's talk a bit about bird migration. So we know that bird migration has an impact on potentially the geographic spread of West Nile virus and potentially other you know, bird associated pathogens. But how do things like the stress of migration impact bird communities or you know, the immune systems of birds and making them more susceptible potentially to West Nile virus.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so migration has been definitely a thing that we've spent a lot of time thinking about. So there is a somewhat of a mystery with West Nile and that's where it does go in the winter. So overwintering mechanisms for Westnile virus are not well understood. It was always a possibility that West snile was overwintering, you know, down somewhere where it's warmer where you could have year round transmission and then reintroduction events were kind of by migrating birds bringing it into new areas every year, and maybe that could attribute to why we see it flare up in different places from year to year. Looking at the genetics of the virus, this is not really supported, but we did spend a.
Speaker 5: Lot of time looking at migratory birds to kind of figure out if they were spreading the virus around.
Speaker 6: At some point I was down at the Coachella Valley, like along the Sultan Sea, and every year we would go down there to collect as many migratory birds as we possibly can and collect a small blood sample and test that blood sample for both antibodies and.
Speaker 5: Viral particles.
Speaker 6: Basically, does the has this bird been exposed to West Nile and is it currently infected. So it's a long shot looking for a virehemia, especially in a migrating bird, because migration is a very costly event.
Speaker 5: For those birds.
Speaker 6: So for them to be able to be fit enough to migrate while acutely infected.
Speaker 5: Is I don't know if that's possible.
Speaker 6: It may be I mean, birds are amazing it could they could do it, especially for short hops, maybe like from one stop to the next, they might get infected and then be able to carry it to.
Speaker 5: The next hop.
Speaker 6: And then if it's a species that's so refractory to West Nile that it's able to migrate in an infected state, like, how is that going.
Speaker 5: To play a role in a transmission events.
Speaker 6: So there have been other researchers that have found some kind of indication of birds migrating wall infected. So I'm sure it happens, But when we looked at the data for the birds coming in and the birds that were here, it just really seemed like the majority of the infection was happening here. So when we did find migrants that were infected with West Nile virus, they were heading back down south. They weren't heading north. They had been here all summer and were heading back down to their Central American overwintering grounds, and they had already been exposed. And so it really seemed like it wasn't migratory birds that were constantly receding infection just by what we were observing with you know, Westnile virus activity in the birds that it seemed like there was something that was overwintering locally and flaring up, and then as migrants were coming through, there was always the potential that they could be exposed and then hop it to the next location.
Speaker 3: That is very interesting.
Speaker 2: It kind of turns a bit like on the narrative that is so like, oh, well, you know birds that move from one place to another, and it makes it so.
Speaker 3: Easy for it to spread.
Speaker 2: It might not necessarily be why we see, you know, these events happening, and so on that note about how long or is there any sort of window during which in an infection there is circulating virus in the birds that are susceptible.
Speaker 4: And do seem to have like this vireemia.
Speaker 2: Is there a length of time during which you can collect virus.
Speaker 6: So if you're looking at a bird who's just been infected, by about two days you can detect virus in the blood, and then by about seven days, if it's not cleared, it's most likely not going to survive, okay.
Speaker 2: And then is there you know, lasting immunity following or can a bird get reinfected?
Speaker 5: It seems to be lasting community.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So, as someone who works in the applied you know side of things and has this research background as well. What do you see as the biggest challenges to West nolevirus control?
Speaker 6: Honestly, for West nolevirus, we have to be able to have good effective surveillance methods. We have to have effective mosquito control tools, and so thankfully we've gotten a very efficient system for how mosquitoes are trapped and how they're tested. These are kind of pretty well worked out. But at this point in mosquito control, there are two active ingredients that are used for controlling mosquitos. So you have pyriethrins and pyreethroids, and you have organophosphates.
Speaker 5: So these are the insecticide classes and they're.
Speaker 6: Used in many many other fields, common in agriculture. They're common like if that pest control guy comes by your house, it's like, oh, you know, you have spiders all over I could spray for that. Well, they're spraying, but we're spraying. And so insecticide resistance is the growing problem and so as we move forward, we're going to have we're going to have to find creative solutions for how to break that transmission cycle through effective mosquito control. And this will continue to be a problem moving forward because I mean, mosquito control is a small slice of the you know, insecticide usage pie especially public health mosquito control like applications. So there aren't generally products designed especially for mosquito control because it's like it's not the largest market. You know, there are innovations that are coming out. So for a species eighties of gypty, which is a terrible vector around the world, spreads dangi and.
Speaker 5: Zika and chinkgunya.
Speaker 6: It's been invasive in a lot of areas of California. So we're now dealing with the gippi in California and throughout California. And so there's a lot of talk now about well, can we you know, use sterile insect programs to.
Speaker 5: Control these mosquitoes.
Speaker 6: And I think that that that's being used more and more, like it's it's still an emerging option and it might not be like what we can use for qlex control, but it's an example of thinking of new solutions to old problems. And I think that that's what we're going to have to continue to do moving forward, is think outside the box and you know, push the envelope.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. That was Awesome. We knew that we were missing such a big part.
Speaker 7: I mean, I learned a lot, so much, so tell me more. Let's hear even more. So we'll just now focus on west now virus mostly in humans and look at.
Speaker 4: The big picture. Shall we focusing first on North America, since that's where we ended your section erin. Since west now virus made its debut in New York in nineteen ninety nine, the virus has resulted in over forty eight thousand reported cases in the US, twenty four thousand of those have been neuroinvasive, and it has resulted in over twenty three hundred deaths.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah in about twenty years now. It's estimated that the true number of infections is over seven million human infections in the continental United States. Wow. Wow, I just got it. Can just keep saying wow, That's all we can say. It's by far one of the most important zoanotic diseases and one of the most important causes of viral especially vector born encephalitis in the US since its introduction, and like you said, Aaron, it has spread throughout the entire United States. It's present throughout all of North America, It's likely present in Central and South America as well, but we don't have great data on Central and South America. Whether that's because it's overshadowed by other infections that look similar, like maybe Dengey fever, or whether it's there but at very low levels, or it's just not being reported, we don't really know, but we don't have good data on it. But even within the US, while like over fifty percent of counties in the US have reported at least one case over the course of time, they're not evenly distributed. Like cases are not evenly distributed, and outbreaks tend to happen in like discrete areas that vary a lot year to year. So overall, the actual number of reported cases in the US since its introduction has been it varies a lot year to year, but it hasn't necessarily been steadily growing or anything like that. But you do see a lot of year to year variation and a lot of geographic variation, like one year you'll have a whole bunch in Montana and another year a whole bunch somewhere else, et cetera. And it's not just humans, of course. Westnlvirus is a substantial animal pathogen in the US. It's caused over twenty eight thousand cases in horses and mortality that we know of in over three hundred bird species, like we heard a lot about already. In Canada, over five thousand human infections have been reported, and across Europe, outbreaks happen almost every year, but the biggest outbreak, especially in Europe by far, was in twenty eighteen, when there were over fifteen hundred cases that were reported across Europe. That was over seven times as many cases as had been reported in the previous seven years. Dang, right, in one single year. And so whenever we see outbreaks like this that happen, like really big outbreaks all of a sudden, especially of a vector born disease, we have to think about, like, what are the factors environmentally that are impacting this? And Aarin you kind of touched on this a little bit, but we're going to get into it a little bit more. Oh yeah, and then of course we're going to talk about climate change. So, like many, if not all, of the vector born diseases that we've covered on this show, it's not entirely clear how climate change either is going to affect or has already begun to affect West Nile virus incidents, prevalence, and also distribution. But we can gather at least a little bit of information based on especially that twenty eighteen Europe outbreak as well as just what we know about the mosquito and the virus. So, given that West Nile virus is mostly transmitted by mosquitos in the genus Qlex, their natural ecology is such that in an increasingly warm climate, it's very likely that that type of climate will increase both the abundance of these mosquitoes as well as increase their overall distribution. And like you mentioned, Aaron, if they're better at harboring virus in warmer climates compared to colder climates where they're maybe not as good a vectors, that's important as well.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's that's not good news.
Speaker 4: No, it's really not. And that outbreak in Europe in twenty eighteen, it turns out that that year was not only one of the hottest years ever recorded, it was also a very very wet spring that was followed by a summer drought, which likely led to a very early expansion of the Qlex mosquitoes, which led to an increase in viral transmission. So what we saw that year was cases being reported earlier in the year than ever before, and then an outbreak that was the largest ever recorded, more cases like I said in the previous seven years, and over a larger geographic distribution than had been previously recorded. That year alone, cases were reported in Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slavinia, Spain, Turkey, everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, despite its global prevalence, despite it being such a common cause of mosquito born infection in the US for over twenty years, we still don't have any specific treatments, and we still don't have any licensed human vaccines.
Speaker 2: And with every year, I feel like becoming the hottest year on record.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, every year, Yeah, year it feels like this one. There are at least four different animal vaccines, I think primarily for horses, and there have been Phase one and two studies of human vaccines, but there haven't been any Phase three or like the larger efficacy studies, And it seems mostly because there's not a market for it financially, which is so frustrating and what's even more frustrating is that we have vaccines for a lot of other flavaviruses like yellow fever virus. We have a vaccine Japanese and ccephalitis virus. We have a vaccine. Now. We even have a vaccine for Dengey virus. Apparently from a paper from twenty nineteen, there have been at least six different candidates of vaccines that have gone through these phase one and two trials. At least two of them seem to produce good immunity after a single dose, which is what would be needed for it to be a cost effective vaccine. None of the animal or the horse vaccines are single dose. They all require multiple doses as well as annual boosters. Oh okay, so, but there is at least promise, I think, both in terms of the immunology of West Nile virus and of flavaviruses in general, and then the fact that at least we have vaccines in phase one phase two trials. It seems to be kind of like a funding issue, etc. But in general, because of this lack of vaccine, control efforts really rely on prevention of infected mosquitos, So things like integrative pest management mosquito infection, like you mentioned, Aaron, sentinel, bird surveillance and all of that to try and reduce the prevalence of infected adult mosquitoes. And that, my friends, that's West Nile virus.
Speaker 3: That's West Nile virus.
Speaker 4: That was a fun one, Aaron. I learned a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a really interesting one. I can't believe we hadn't done this yet.
Speaker 7: Hey, we did it now, We did it now. And yeah, sources, sources. I have a lot of papers I'm going to shout out just too, and one is by Savar from two thousand titled Westnile Virus and Historical Overview. And the other that I wanted to shout out for fun is by our PhD advisor, doctor Brian Allen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeay, and that is Alan at all.
Speaker 2: From two thousand and nine titled Ecological Correlates of Risk and Incidents of West Nile Virus in the United States. And I also watched, as I mentioned, several videos on West Nile virus and I will post a links to these. There were a couple ones that were especially helpful. West Nile Virus the first decade by Richard Ayler. One on PBS West Nyle outbreak in New York City and then also a great interview with Tracy McNamara and this video titled one Health and the Lessons Learned from the nineteen ninety nine West Snyle Outbreak, and that is by Microbe World.
Speaker 4: I also had a good number of papers a couple of my favorites for the overview of West Nile virus. We're both titled West Nile Virus one from the Lancet Neurology two thousand and seven and one from the Lancet Infectious Disease in two thousand and two. So kind of older papers but still really good. If you want more info on the development of vaccines, there was a paper called twenty years of Progress towards West Nile Virus Vaccine development in Viruses from twenty nineteen. And we'll post all of our sources from this episode and every one of our episodes on our website, This podcast will Kill You dot Com.
Speaker 2: We will thanks again so much to the amazing guests for this episode. We so appreciate you coming on to chat with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you. Thank you also to Bloodmobile, who provides the music for this episode and all of our episodes.
Speaker 2: And thank you to exactly Right, of whom we are a very proud member, and thank you to you listeners.
Speaker 4: We really love making this podcast, so thanks for listening to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a special shout out also to our amazing, incredible supporters on Patreon.
Speaker 3: We love you.
Speaker 2: You're amazing, and everyone you only have a few more seconds to wait until your ears get to be blessed with the joyous sounds of mc Bugsy and West Nile Story.
Speaker 4: West Nile Story, Bring us out, Aaron, wash your hands. You've filthy animals.
Speaker 9: Who's heard of West Now pate it may not realize it, but it's inside of mosquitoes and they get credits of people to cover up rock rebell it, get rid of standing water. Mosquito bites can be more than just a bomb. No vaccine to protect, no medication to treat it. That means attention to prevention is the challenge. So me it empty, scrub, turn over, cover tip and toss out containing. Clean up the yard once a weaken your lippy, best life. Later long loose like colored clothes, so no skins exposed to biting mosquitoes. Attempting undercover pros use repellents to protect yourself and those that you love from the potential help gets of being bitten by a move who's heart a west Now virus. You may not real loize them. It's inside of mosquitoes and they get spreaddit to pieces, cover up rock, rebelling and ritt is standing water. Mosquito bites can mean more than just a vod yo who's herd a west Now virus. Cap may not realize them, but it's inside of mosquitoes and they get spread it to people, color up rock, repelling the GrITT is standing water. Mosquito bites can be more than just a bob west Now. There's arected public health in the summer time and here for twenty years shout out to Queen's ninety nine rapid spread from east to west. Now we're throughout the continental US qlex mosquito vector with the bird preference in nature, guests now cycles between mosquitoes and birds when those mosquitosquito people infections occur steady sipping dust till dawn because they're not time biders attack in twilight. Like micro vampire who's hurt a west Now virus may not realize them food it's inside of mosquitos and nicket spread it to people to color up rock repelling I finished standing water. Mosquito bites can be more than just a bottley who's hurt. A west Now virus can make a re alizza food. It's inside of mosquitoes and they get spreaded to people to cover.
Speaker 6: Up rock repelling.
Speaker 9: The frit is standing water, Mosquito bites can be boiled just a bottle now. Luckily, most folks effective will never feel sick, but somemost suffer from beaver rash, aches and weakness. The most recover completely. The fatigue can persists for weeks or months. You could be living lethargic and listless. Unfortunately, any age can get severe illness. Of people older than sixty and the sick of the highest risk of neuroin basic cases with lifelong effects except for light as men insitis from a virus that wrecks protect from west Now vibrus. Here's hoping you're realized side of mosquitoes and they get spreaded to people to cover up rock repelling. If frit is standing water, mosquito bites can be more than just a bomp. Just yourself representative control mosquito that never bites will never have the chance to change your life. Cover up and use EPA approved repellents. When mosquitoes are active, it's bugs in amount