Speaker 1: What is everything made out of? That seems like a simple question, and it also seems like a reasonable question. I'd like to know what I'm made out of, what my food is made out of, what kittens are made out of, what lava is made out of. It's also an ancient question, I think, one that people have been asking since people have been asking any questions. The Greeks, famous for asking questions in their sexy robes, thought that everything was made of earth, air, water, and fire. And modern science, of course, has made a lot of progress here and uncovered some pretty weird and kind of shocking news about what everything is made out of. What seems like smooth and continuous matter is actually made up of tiny little bits that are woven together into some extremely fine mesh. And we are all made of the same basic bits, some together to make me or you, or kittens or lava. The world is of particles. But our curiosity doesn't just end because we have that answer. We want to know what are these basic bits? How do we think about them? What mental pictures should we have in our mind? Are they tiny dots of stuff or rippling waves or some other concept that's too alien to even imagine. And what does it tell us about the universe that these are its basic building blocks?
Speaker 2: Or are they? So?
Speaker 1: Today, on Daniel and Kelly's Extraordinary Universe, we'll be tackling the basic yet confusing, the simple yet deep, the important but impossible question what is a particle?
Speaker 3: Welcome to Daniel and Kelly's Extraordinary Universe. I'm Kelly Wiener Smith. I'm a parasitologist and I'm particularly excited to be here today. But it might have been really cute if I had been able to pull it off, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Daniel.
Speaker 1: I'm a particle physicist, which means I probably should know what a particle is.
Speaker 3: Well, we've got the right expert on the show today. So Daniel, here's what I'm wondering. So you've told me that you go to CERN in Switzerland to do your research. Why doesn't the United States have the biggest particle collider?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Why you are putting your foot in a sensitive spot right there. You know, for many years it was a race between the Europeans and the Americans. So before CERN had the most powerful collider.
Speaker 2: We had one.
Speaker 1: It was outside of Chicago at Fermi Lab. It's called the Tevatron. I did my PhD there. I had one child born near that collider, and then my next child born near Cerns. You know, not a kid at each collider.
Speaker 3: Basically, wait, one of your kids was born abroad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my daughter Hazel was born in Switzerland, very close to cern That's cool.
Speaker 3: Did you have to not pay because you were in Europe and they just do healthcare there or what was that like?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Actually they told us that when we showed up for the delivery, we had to bring fifty thousand Swiss fronc in cash if we didn't have local insurance.
Speaker 3: WHOA.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that was going to be an issue.
Speaker 1: But then we discovered this a law in Switzerland that if you're working there, which my wife was, they have to insure you. So even though she had all sorts of crazy pre existing conditions, we could buy insurance for like one hundred franc and then we didn't have to pay for anything. So it was amazing.
Speaker 3: Actually nice, Okay, that's good.
Speaker 1: And the insurance company even offered to retroactively cover a bunch of appointments to where we hadn't yet had insurance. It was very different experience than American insurance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's incredible. I'm going to get depressed if we stay on this topic too long. Let's go back to particle colliders. Okay, so you have had each of your children near very large particle colliders. Why isn't the biggest one in the US.
Speaker 1: Well, they planned to build the biggest one in the US, the Superconducting super Collider in Waxahachie, Texas, and they started building it, and they spend billions of dollars digging a hole.
Speaker 2: But then the director of CERN.
Speaker 1: At the time came and testified before Congress saying it was a big waste of money because CERN was building one that was going to be bigger and better and they should just cancel it. And Congress, for all sorts of complicated political reasons, listen to him and canceled the American Superconnecting super Collider. And since then the lead has been in Europe and probably will for a while. And the US particle physics communities mostly focused on things like neutrinos and stuff like that. So these days, if you want to do cutting edge, high energy particle physics at colliders, you got to go to Switzerland, which, hey, it's not too bad.
Speaker 2: The chocolate's amazing, no doubt.
Speaker 3: You know what. Actually, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I'm not a huge fantas with chocolate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you prefer Belgian I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there I said it. So every once in a while I'll hear about like astronomy students who want to get time on a telescope, but the telescope's all booked up and it takes forever. Does cern have enough time for everyone? So like, when that guy came to the US and tanked our program, did he know he was going to have enough time time for all of our scientists to come over and do their work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great question, And people often ask me about that, like what's it like to set up your experiment at the collider? But the reality is very different. Telescopes and colliders don't work the same way. A telescope you have to point at the thing you want to look at. So you write a proposal to say, let's point our amazing telescope at this one star I want to study, and then it's not pointing at any other stars.
Speaker 2: But a particle collider is very general.
Speaker 1: It always just does the same thing smashes the particles together and you take pictures of it, and then afterwards you analyze it. So everybody who uses the collider uses the same data. They're just looking for different kinds of particles. We don't have to point the collider at certain things. We don't swap out what we're using to take pictures. Every few years we turn the thing off, revamp it, build a new detector that's better, faster, higher resolution or whatever, and then we make it as general as possible so everybody can use it so you don't have to swap it out every day or every experiment. Everybody uses the same data set, which makes it kind of crazy because everybody's looking for discoveries in the set SA data set at the same time, So you could get scooped by any of your thousands of colleagues Yanks.
Speaker 3: So do you actually need to be there in person or if it's just data, they can make that available anywhere right.
Speaker 1: CERN has long been at the forefront of the Internet. We invented the web at CERN, for example, and we have excellent cloud computing and so we transfer that data all around the world. We've collaborated from Japan to Singapore to South Africa, to the northern tip of Canada, all over the world. People analyze this data. Absolutely, you don't have to go. I go frequently because I have students there and postdocs are like on site building stuff and helping keep it run. But technically you don't have to to look at the data.
Speaker 3: Cool. I mean, that's good and bad. I feel like ecologists like we want to study exotic animals, but partly because we want to go there, And I imagine it's sort of the same with cern, like it'd be nice to go to Switzerland. But I guess the more important thing is answering the question.
Speaker 1: It is nice to go to Switzerland, but then again, it's also nice to be able to do science without having thousands of dollars to go to Switzerland, which means smaller groups and not such institutions, for example, could also participate. So it makes it a little bit more democratic, you know.
Speaker 3: Nice. That's awesome. Okay, So the whole point of having a large particle collider is so that you can figure out what those particles are made of, Is that right?
Speaker 1: The whole point of having a particle collider is that you can say you're smashing particles together and nearly the speed of light, which sounds pretty awesome at parties.
Speaker 3: It does, yeah, kind of like jousting for particles.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, particle colliders, I think, sort of have two different purposes. One is like, hey, let's take stuff and see what's inside it. Let's start with something familiar, you know, like the proton, and smash it open and see what it's made out of. And that's a continuation of like a long glorious tradition of taking the stuff around us a part to understand what it's made out of. You know, I'm made of molecules, which are made of atoms which have a nucleus and electron, and the nucleus is made of protons. Let's go inside the proton. So that's definitely worthwhile.
Speaker 2: And we do that.
Speaker 1: But colliders can actually do something else, even more powerful, which kind of sounds like magic, which is that they can convert the mass of those protons into energy and then back into mass, and so what can come out of the collision is not just a rearrangement of what went in. It's not like chemistry where you're like this hydrogen moved from this atom to over there, and now you have a different kind of compound. You can annihilate these things, and then you basically have like a budget to make anything. And the stuff that comes out of the collision doesn't just have to be like a refashioned, rearranged version of what went in. You can have entirely new matter. It really is alchemy. So like protons go in, you have this intermediate state of frothing energy, and then you can make whatever the universe can make, dark matter, muons, all sorts of other stuff. You're not just rearranging the protons.
Speaker 3: There's got to be some rules right for what you can make.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, that's the whole premise of particle physics. There are rules, there are patterns. Quantum mechanics tells us what's likely to happen in certain collisions. We look at those patterns, we notice, oh, this typically happens, typically shoots out at those angles.
Speaker 2: What are the rules that control this?
Speaker 1: Absolutely there are rules, but fundamentally it's random. Right, Like you do the same collision twice, you get two different answers. Because it's quantum mechanical, it's not determined by the initial conditions. So it's really a very powerful way to explore the universe because you don't have to know what's out there in order to discover it. You smash protons together often enough, eventually everything the universe can do, it will do, and you get to take pictures of it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: It's like, imagine if you could build a box and every kind of creature that could exist on Earth would randomly cycle through that box. You could just sit there and watch and be like, oh, wow, I didn't know that existed. Oh look at those things.
Speaker 2: What are those? You know?
Speaker 1: That would be pretty powerful. That's basically what we can do with particle physics.
Speaker 3: Now you have my attention. Although that box, I guess, could mostly be showing me like different species of bacteria, which would be a bomber. You could show me different speceis of bugs, that would be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be mostly beetles. You're like, wow, it's basically a beetle box.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So there is that famous saying that like God is inordinately fond of beetles, because there's this thought that beetles are the most common species group on the planet, but actually quite often those beetles are infected by more than one species of hymenopter and wasp, and so we think there might actually be more wasp species on the planet than there are beetles based on that observation.
Speaker 1: And probably those wasps are infected by viruses, so they're more viruses than wasps. Yes, and those viruses are made of particles, and boom a boom, we're back to the topic of the episode.
Speaker 3: Well, what makes up a particle, Daniel exactly?
Speaker 1: So we smash particles together, we look at what's inside them, we annihilate them to make new kinds of particles. We have this idea that particles are what everything is made out of. But I struggle, still after decades in this field, to understand this basic question what is a particle?
Speaker 2: So I really want to explain to.
Speaker 1: People what we do know and what we still don't know about this very basic concept that everybody talks about all the time.
Speaker 3: Well, first, let's hear what our listeners think. And if you would like to be a listener who tells us what you think, send us an email at questions at Daniel and Kelly dot org and we will get you in the loop and send you a question from time to time and you can send us your answers. So let's see hear how folks answer the question what is a particle?
Speaker 2: A particle is a thing that interacts with other things.
Speaker 1: A particle is really just an excitation in a field.
Speaker 2: A particle is a defined portion of something, something that is infinitesanly small to us.
Speaker 1: It's the smallest unit of energy or mass.
Speaker 3: I think that particles are the excitement of different friends, spatial spots, and interaction.
Speaker 2: A particle could be very small vibrating field. A mass or non mess object.
Speaker 1: Exists within what we would perceive as matter.
Speaker 4: A particle is a sub microscopic kernel of energy and or matter. A particle is an excitation of a field. I do know that particles aren't just tiny bits of matter. I've heard that there fields, or strings, or some other impossible to understand little bits of the universe.
Speaker 2: Particle is a ripple and a quantum field. Particle is the name we give to the smallest discrete, quantum little bits that we know of and haven't been able to break up.
Speaker 3: Further yet, an expression of a field where the chances of that occurrence happening is the greatest. There. The more think about, the bigger this rabbit warren is going.
Speaker 1: I think these answers perfectly encapsulate this episode. I mean, really, it's an excellent snapshot because a lot of what people have said in here is correct. But also there's a huge list of conflicting answers, right, you know, is it the smallest bit of stuff? Is it just something in space time? Is it actually an excitation of a field? You know, there's so many conflicting concepts for what a particle.
Speaker 3: Is, and is this one of those topics where at the end the answer is going to be we really have no idea, could be all of these things? Or is this a topic we're at the end. We're going to have a pretty clear answer.
Speaker 2: At the end.
Speaker 1: We're going to have a pretty clear answer, but not at the end of this episode, at the end of this journey, which might be in ten or one hundred years unfortunately. Okay, I mean we're going to get somewhere. Today we have a pretty crisp clear view of what a particle is mathematically, but we also know why that's not really satisfactory, and there's lots of big open questions about what that really means. So it's not like all particle physics is a scam because we don't know what a particle is. We have a working definition, but we also know that it's incomplete, just like most of science.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh yeah, amen, All right, well, so let's start with the historical perspective. Bring me back to the beginning. When did we start thinking about this question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's important to trace the origin of this historically because it still shapes how we think about the universe. And you know, whenever you ask a big question about science, you got to think about like what kind of answer you're looking for.
Speaker 2: And in science, even though.
Speaker 1: We try to be like mathematical and open minded and let the data tell us what the universe is saying, we still need to understand that data. We still need to interpret it. We still need to cogitate on it in a way that makes sense to us. And we're sort of limited in our mental intuitive language. We can't really grapple with things that we've never experienced, that are completely alien to us. We tend to translate the unfamiliar into the familiar.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: My favorite example of this is like what happens when you drink a wine or you taste a new fruit and you're like, oh, this fruit tastes kind of like a cherry and kind of like an apricot and whatever, and a little bit like a kiwi. You're explaining something new in terms of something you already know, and that makes a lot of sense also what we do in science, and so it's important like dig into like what are the sort of basic mental building blocks we're using to understand this stuff.
Speaker 3: I think one of my favorite examples of that is the brain being compared to whatever technology is hot and new at the time. You know, like your brain is like a clock, your brain is like a computer. And some of those analogies work in some ways, but you know, having an analogy like that sometimes limits the way you actually attack a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it also is what allows you to understand it, right, So in the end, it's sort of how we understand everything. Yeah, And that's why it's useful to go back to like fifth century BC and talk about Democratus and his buddy Lucepis, because these folks were thinking about, hey, what is the universe made out of? And they came up with this concept, or they're credited with this concept of what seems like smooth and continuous matter, you know, water, seems smooth and continuous. Air seems smooth is actually made of tiny little bits of stuff. This is a big idea, right, This is a huge concept. It is like pulling back the veil on the world and saying the world isn't the way that it seems. It's actually quite different. You know, it has like a resolution. These days, we're kind of familiar with this because you're used to things like, Hey, I look at my TV screen. It looks like I'm just looking at a picture, but I know that if I put my eyeball closed to the screen, I'll see pixels. This is basically saying the whole world, all matter is actually pixelated. It's built out of little bits instead of smooth and continuous.
Speaker 3: Did they have any thoughts about what the little bits were like, like do you get different bits in the sand and different bits in your skin? Or how fine grained was this idea?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: They had hilarious ideas about what the little bits were. They thought that everything was made up a little bit of stuff, but that stuff had different shapes, and you know, they were right on the spirit of it that they thought, like the properties of the shape determined how we experienced it and its property. But for example, they thought that something's tasted sour because it was made of little sharp needle shaped atoms that like stabbed your tongue when you ate it.
Speaker 3: This is going to be so condescending, but that's such a cute idea.
Speaker 2: It is so cute, I know.
Speaker 1: And they thought that things that were white were white because they were made of very smooth atoms. And they thought that your soul was made of atoms, and that those atoms were particularly fine grained. They were right in the spirit in that the behavior and the structure of the atom really does determine, like hey, what is shiny and what conducts electricity and what's liquid at room temperature. That's all true. They were just wrong on the details. But you know, they couldn't see atoms. They were just imagining. And I'm really impressed by this. I'm impressed by the courage to imagine that the universe is so fundamentally different from the way it seems, because that's really the scientific spirit, right, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we've got Democritus and his buddy what was the buddy's.
Speaker 1: Name mispronounced as Lacoupiskopis, But I don't know the correct pronunciation.
Speaker 3: I hadn't heard of that person before. So you got the two of them, and they're proposing that everything is made of small bits of stuff. How long before we get some clarity on the fact that sour isn't just sharp little bits of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they're credited with this idea, probably came up earlier because remember, we give people credit because we have a written.
Speaker 2: Record of it.
Speaker 1: We have like a tiny fraction of everything the Greeks wrote, though very excitingly, they're now scanning burnt scrolls from an ancient Greek library. We're going to like double the amount of Greek writing.
Speaker 2: We have very soon.
Speaker 1: But also, you know, we just don't have writing from other civilizations. What do the Etruscans think ancient Chinese writing? So, you know, people give the Greeks a lot of credit, but we should remember like other people thought about this stuff too.
Speaker 3: Ain't that always the way?
Speaker 2: It's always the way, I know.
Speaker 1: And they use the word adam because atomos in Greek means indivisible, So that's where that comes from. And this is the origin of this idea that you know, smooth stuff is actually made of little bits and that still guides our mental picture. When I think particle, I still think tiny little dot of stuff, like a little spinning ball or a grain of sand.
Speaker 2: That's what it means to me.
Speaker 1: Like it's particular, Like if you say something is particulate, right, you mean it's made of these little bits. And so the words are powerful because they guide our mental images. But it wasn't for a couple of thousand years that we had really more information. I mean it was chemists like Dalton who were doing experiments on chemical reactions and discovering, you know, laws of ratios and proportions and the things were divisible by integers. That really give us a clue that, oh, there were like units of stuff going into these equations that you really needed two to one hydrogen to oxygen to make a certain amount of water. It gives you a clue that it really has just clicked together out of these tiny little bits. So that was a really important clue. But it wasn't until the late eighteen hundreds that we really had the discovery of anything that we would today call a particle.
Speaker 3: And is that because it's so tiny, it probably depends on having the right technology to be able to address that and so did we just have to wait until the late eighteen hundreds because that's when we finally got the technology where we could start making a dent.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: And in the great tradition of particle physics, we didn't invent the technology that we used to make these discoveries.
Speaker 2: We borrowed it. In this case, we borrowed it from the circus.
Speaker 3: From the circus, yes, exactly. All Right, we're going to take a break, and when we come back, you're going to tell me about how the circus allowed us to understand the electron. All right, and we're back, and today we're talking about the freak show that is particles, and Daniel's gonna tell us about how we were able to understand the electron from technology developed for the circus mm HM.
Speaker 1: Back in the mid eighteen hundreds, there were circuses, and there were these side shows, and you know, you had bearded ladies or conjoined twins or whatever freak show you wanted to see, but also you had people with weird gizmos, and in particular, somebody invented basically the cathode ray tube, but a cathoid ratube back then was actually called a Crooks tube. And basically you have a glass and you put electricity on one side, electricity on the other side, and we now know what happens is that electrons boil off of one and fly through it.
Speaker 2: And hit the other.
Speaker 1: But if you left a little bit of gas in that tube, then the electrons would hit that gas and gas would glow. People were making these tubes because they glowed in this eerie way and that was pretty cool. And you know, back in the eighteen hundreds, this was a magical thing to see that somebody could build this thing and it would glow green, it would glow red or whatever. And so these Crooks tubes were very popular on side shows. And then later scientists were like, what's going on here, Let's see if we can understand what's going on. And JJ Thompson in the late eighteen hundreds used it to discover the electron.
Speaker 3: How do you go from ohnit that tube lights up to and that's because of electrons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So JJ Thompson was trying to understand what is lighting up here. And they already called these things cathode rays because they could see paths, like definitely, there's a line of stuff moving through them. And they were like, what are these rays? Is it made of something? A lot of people tried to understand this and failed, But he had like the best vacuum, so the best control of this experiment, and he did it the most systematically. What he did was he put these tubes under electric fields and he was like, hmm, can I bend these rays? And then he tried with magnetic fields, like, oh, can I bend the rays this way and that way? And he tried with combinations of them. And so we had an understanding of electromagnetism back then. We understood that electric fields whole things that have charge, and magnetic fields can bend them. So from this he determined, oh, these cathode rays are little bits of charge. There's charge flowing here because I can bend it with fields, and so that was really fascinating. And then he very carefully bounced the two fields and he was able to measure the mass of the thing, and that right there is the origin of this sort of concept of a particle. He was like, oh, these rays are made of tiny little bits of stuff that have a charge and a mass. And what he's doing conceptually there is very important. He's saying there's a point in space, and I'm going to put two labels on it. I'm gonna say it has a charge and has a mass, and those two things cannot be separated. He tried to separate the mass and the charge and he couldn't. So he's like, now in his mind, he has these little dots that are moving through space and he's putting these mental labels on them. And that's really the origin of the modern concept of a particle.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I'm imagining being in his lab He's got this ray, he's got a magnet on one side, and he does the magic, and he's got that line. Is it like a bolt of lightning? Like does it go from one side to another and you can see all of it? And if so, how does he make the jump from there's a line that lights up and bends towards the magnet two, And that line is made up of lots of little tiny things that come to be called electrons, You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yes, So what you should be imagining is sort of like what a fluorescent life. Well it looks like now, it's like long and thin and filled with glowing gas, right, except there were like thinner lines. So these were very clearly rays. And you're right that he measured that there's sort of a flow of charge. Right, So there was a screen on one end and you could see these glowing dots landing. But he also measured the mass. That's what told him that this was made of little bits because he could measure actually their charge to mass ratio. He couldn't measure the mass itself, but he measured the charge to mass ratio by seeing how much they were deflected by the magnetic fields.
Speaker 2: That's the thing that.
Speaker 1: Gave him the clue that it was made of little bits, not just some continuous stream, because he could identify a charge to mass ratio for these bits. And he almost sent the world down a crazy path where my job title would be different because he didn't call this thing a particle, he didn't call it an electron. He used the word corpuscule. He thought that was a really cool name for this thing that he help. To me, it sounds like especially explosive kind of Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you were almost a corpuscoologist.
Speaker 1: Or a corpuscular physicist. Fortunately, the person who discovers the thing doesn't always get to name it, and later on people adopted the name electron suggested by Fitzgerald and Lorentz and other folks, and so fortunately the word corpuscular didn't hang on. But that was really the seminal experiment where people discovered, okay, the world has made the little bits, and we can put labels on them. And these days we have so many labels for particles. We put spin on them, we put charge. Of course, we put other kinds of charge. Every particle has a charge for electromagnetism, as a charge for the weak force, a charge for the strong force. It has a mass. This is really part of the concept of a particle is a little dot in space with labels that we put on it.
Speaker 3: And it sounds like it gets complicated pretty quick. So let's back up a little bit. So we've got mass in charge. What is our next historical advancement?
Speaker 1: Well, next came Rutherford because people were wondering, all right, so these things exist, these corpus s gules, or these electrons as we they to call them. But how do you use that to make up the world. It's sort of like the twofold question we were talking about before. One thing you can do is try to answer, like, what is everything around us made out of by taking it apart. The other is just to ask what can the universe do? Like, not necessarily, how am I built out of the universe, but what is the universe capable of? Sort of holistically, And so Thompson discovered, oh, the universe can make electrons. People were wondering, Okay, are those electrons part.
Speaker 2: Of who we are?
Speaker 1: And you know, they were speculating, we think electrons are probably inside the atom. But nobody knew yet what the atom structure was. We knew that we had chemicals and we had these different atoms and periodic table the elements was a thing, but nobody understood how the atom itself was built. And we suspected electrons were in there, but we didn't understand, like, well, what's balancing that charge? And so Thompson proposed that, like, well, we have electrons because I discovered them, and so they must be the building block of everything, and they're embedded in like a jelly, like a positive jelly that balances the charge.
Speaker 2: That was sort of his idea.
Speaker 1: But then Rutherford came along and said, well, let's see, and he took a sheet of gold foil and he shot radiation at it, and he wanted to understand, like, what is that positive stuff made out of And if that positive stuff was like spread out like jelly, then he would expect that his particle would mostly just slop through it. But what he saw was that most of the time they just shoot right through the foil, but occasionally they bounced right back. What he concluded from that was that the positive charges weren't spread out evenly. They were clustered into these little hard dots. So most of the time the radiation missed it, sometimes they bounced right back. That gives us the more modern picture of the atom as a positive nucleus surrounded by electrons.
Speaker 3: Okay, so if we are still trying to think of this as a jelly, then we should be picturing like that strawberry jelly that has seeds in it, and those seeds are like the nucleus that the electron was bouncing off of. Is that right?
Speaker 2: M hmm exactly.
Speaker 1: And so now we have like electrons, and we also have the nucleus, which later on we discover is made out of protons and neutrons. And so you were starting to build up our catalog of particles to try to understand like what is the world made out of? What are these particles? And at this point the concept of a particle is still it's a dot in space that we could put labels on, and one of those labels is mass. But then that was all up ended when we discovered the next particle, which is the photon.
Speaker 3: Why does it always get more complicated?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 1: Photons mess everything up, right, my goodness. So around the turn of the century, Einstein was thinking about what happens when you shine light on metal, very bright beam of light on metal. What happens is electrons boil off. This is something people had seen but not really understood because they were confusing results about what happened when you made the beam brighter. People expected that if you make the beam brighter, which if light is a wave, mean that the em fields are oscillating with larger amplitude, so more energy. Then they thought that electrons should get kicked off with more energy. But instead what they saw was electrons kicked off with the.
Speaker 2: Same energy, but more of them.
Speaker 1: So instead of having faster moving electrons, you have more electrons at all the same speed. And it was Einstein who figured out what that meant. What it means is that the light you're shining at the metal is not a continuous beam, perfectly smooth the way Maxwell imagined, but made of chunks made of bits called photons. And what was happening is that each electron can only absorb one like the electron absorbs a photon or it doesn't.
Speaker 2: If it absorbs a photon.
Speaker 1: It gets kicked off, and it always has that photon's energy. You can't eat two photons or ten photons, and so when you make the being brighter, you're shooting more photons. More electrons get to eat a photon. But because it's based out of these chunks, it's not smooth and continuous. It's basically a one on one interaction.
Speaker 3: You said that was Einstein who helps figure outright, So that wasn't that long ago one hundred years. Yeah, we went from like nothing to amazing detail in the last hundred years.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: It's really incredible what we've understood. And this is a huge advance because now we're like, oh wow, light is also made of little mini servings. Right, there's a minimum amount of light. Like you take a flashlight and you start to turn it down and down and down and down. You can't have it be arbitrarily dim like this one setting where it's dark, completely dark, but then there's a minimum brightness. You can't shoot half a photon out of a flashlight or one and a half photons. It's quantized, you know, it's not continuous and smooth. But this is confusing because they were going to call a photon a particle a minute ago. We set a particle something that has like mass in charge. Photons don't have mass, So already your mental conception of like, oh, a particle is a little bit of stuff, Well, this boton doesn't have any stuff to it. You know, you can't catch up to a photon and look at it, you can't hold it in your hand, and yet we think of it.
Speaker 2: As a particle. So already one hundred years.
Speaker 1: Ago, we have to like back up and broaden our understanding, like what is a particle if it's not a little bit of stuff the way Democratis was imagining.
Speaker 3: And doesn't it get even more confusing yet, because then we decide that photons aren't necessarily particles. Sometimes maybe they're waves. And at this point you're like, I'm majoring in biology.
Speaker 1: It gets more confusing before it gets more interesting and more clear. But yes, there's definitely a period of confusion there, and I do think that's kind of a filter. Some people hear that and they're like, I need to understand this and learn more. I'm going to become a physicist. And some people are like, I'm going to go study eels, and that's cool because eels can make waves too, you know, they're pretty.
Speaker 3: Wiggly and electric fields and yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And something you said I want to get back to, which is like, sometimes they're particles. I mean, a photon is always a photon. What is a photon? Is it a particle? Is it a wave?
Speaker 2: Like really, it's neither.
Speaker 1: The way that that new fruit is not a cherry or an apricot, it's not sometimes because it has hints of it in your mouth. It's something new and weird. And a photon has behaviors that we sometimes describe in a particle way, and behaviors we sometimes describe in.
Speaker 2: A wave like way.
Speaker 1: But it's not choosing now I'm a wave, now I'm a particle. It's always a photon. It's just that none of these descriptions perfectly capture what it is the way that like I can't perfectly describe you. I mean, you're a mother, you're a partner, you're a podcaster. None of those things define who you are. You're Kelly, right, and you're sometimes well described by one of those labels.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, right, So this is another one of those problems, like brains are like a computer, yes, but not entirely. And by putting these labels on it, sometimes it helps you think about it, but also sometimes it makes things more confusing.
Speaker 1: So let's dig into what it means though, because the thing people were trying to confront, the thing people were struggling with is like, yeah, Einstein tells us light is made out of these little packets, so we should think of them as like individuals. But also we had all these experiments showing that lighthead wave like behavior, you know, it like interferes with itself, diffraction. There's all sorts of stuff that we only usually attribute to waves, and so people have this idea in their mind, and they hear a lot about the particle wave duality that sometimes you use wave to describe light and sometimes you use particles to describe light. And later on it got more confusing because we saw that electrons do this too, like electrons have wave like behavior. You could take beams of electrons and they will interfere with themselves as if they are waves. But you know, electron is like the original og particle. So what's going on here? And there is definitely a way to.
Speaker 2: Think about this that's not Sometimes it's a.
Speaker 1: Wave and then it switches suddenly to a particle. It's the more quantum mechanical way to think about it, which is rarely like a way to think more clearly about stuff, but you know, it is the way that we think about it. And the quantum mechanical way to think about this without getting heavy into the math, is to say that what controls where a particle goes is a mathematical equation that looks like a wave equation.
Speaker 2: We call it the Schrodinger.
Speaker 1: Equation, and it tells us what's likely to happen to a particle. So an electron enters an experiment, the shorting equation tells us, oh, is it likely to go left? Or is it likely to go right? A photon goes through a slit, the shortening equation tells us is it likely to go here?
Speaker 2: Is it likely to go there? It's going to land on a screen.
Speaker 1: The shortening equation tells us what's the probability of something happening, So it's wave like in that an equation that looks a lot like other wave equations, the equations we use to describe oceans and sound and all sorts of wave like behavior, which is amazingly everywhere in the universe. And we can have a whole conversation about, like, why does the universe all seem like waves? There's a wavy equation that describes where this stuff is likely to go. But then there's something weird that happens, which is the universe has to go from here. All the things the photon could do, and here's the various probabilities of it going here or there. Then we do the experiment. We want to know the answer. The universe does this thing where it picks one. It's like, all, right, of all the possibilities, I'm going to decide this photon goes over there, and this other photon is going to go over here, and this third photon is going to go there. And it's sort of amazing and it's a process. We fundamentally do not understand how the universe goes from Here's the list of probabilities to I'm going to pick one. But this is what people imagine when they think wave like to particle like. Wavelike is like when the universe is still maintaining all the possibilities. Particle like is like I've looked at it, I've measured it, I see a dot on the screen. So I'm thinking of it as acting like a particle because it's here, has the location, and we think of particles as like it is somewhere. It's a tiny dot in space with labels. So when we force the universe to tell us where did that photon go, we call it being particle like because we put a location on it.
Speaker 3: Okay, And is this the right way to think about all particles or do some particles follow this wave function thing and other particles don't.
Speaker 1: This is the nineteen thirties way to think about all particles. You can use this to describe photons, you can use it to describe electrons. You can do use to describe any particle. This is the Shortener equation, and it works really really well for individual particles, and these deep fundamental problems with it still like we don't understand when the universe goes from here are all your possibilities to actually, we're going to do this one. People call this the wave function collapse or quantum collapse, and philosophically it makes no sense because it doesn't happen when a photon is measured by a quantum particle. Like a photon can interact with an electron and maintain all of its possibilities. But if a photon hits an eyeball you see it here or you don't see it there, it collapses. And so really this wave versus particle thing is about maintaining quantum possibilities or collapsing to one. That's really the core of it, and that is not something we understand why that happens, When that happens, If that happens, huge open question in physics and in philosophy, and what is a particle sort of sits right at the nexus of that. So we've mapped this question of like what is a particle to hey, when do quantum wave functions collapse?
Speaker 2: And do they?
Speaker 1: But that's not a question we have an answer to. So I'm not sure how helpful it is. But the modern view of what is a particle is actually a little bit different from this sort of nineteen thirties concept of a wave function and the Schrodinger equation.
Speaker 3: Well, let's take a break and then we'll get modern. So we are up to the nineteen thirties, and now you are going to tell us about our more modern understanding of particles.
Speaker 1: Yes, so this idea that particles are these weird quantum objects and where they go is controlled by a wavy equation. But sometimes we can make their measurements and force the universe to tell us where they are in an instant and they have these properties masked sometimes charge, sometimes spin. Sometimes. That's sort of an old fashioned view. When we started dealing with lots and lots of particles discovered, Oh, this math is kind of clunky. Like if you have ten particles or one hundred particles, it becomes really awkward to have a Shorteninger equation for each individual one and try to bring it together. The math just becomes impossible. And so people instead of thinking about like one wave function for each particle, they're like, let's just think about all the particles as if they're wiggling the same field. So instead of imagining like an individual person waving their hand, now imagine like a crowd at a football stadium and they're doing the wave. So add this thing to your brain, which is a field. Right, A field in space is just like a set of numbers. I say, over here to my left, the field has a value of seven, and over here to my right field is a value of three or two or whatever. And there are wavy equations that determine what is the value of the field. And so you can have waves in that field. You can like ripples in that field where like a large value of the field moves through space from here to there. And then we think about particles as those ripples in the field. So we take like individual wave functions, we try to sort of stitch them together into a single field and think about all the particles as wiggles in the same field.
Speaker 3: So what assumptions do you have to make to make that transition? Do you have to assume that they don't interact with each other in a way that changes the behavior of the group?
Speaker 2: Ah, great question.
Speaker 1: You don't have to assume that, because you can have lots of different kinds of fields. You can have some fields where the particles don't interact with each other. For example, photons, photons don't interact with each other. Photons only interact with particles that have electric charge, like they will be eaten by an electron or proton can give off a photon. But photons ignore each other, like they wiggle right past each other. Two beams of light cross without touching or bouncing off each other. Other particles do interact with each other, like gluons. For example, gluons bounce off of other gluons amid other gluons eat other gluons. It gets very complicated and messy because gluons talk to each other all the time. So you don't have to assume that we build that into each field. So we have a new mathematical framework that allows us to make different kinds of fields. Some fields are very simple, they're just numbers, like the Higgs field. It's just a number in space. Other fields, like the electromagnetic field. At every point in space, you have an arrow, you have a direction, you have three numbers.
Speaker 2: Basically.
Speaker 1: So now imagine like a bunch of arrows filling space, and when a photon is moving through that field, what's happening is those arrows are growing and shrinking, They're changing direction. It's oscillations. In these fields that we think about as particles. But we do have to make one important assumption which has a lot of consequences, which is that every electron is basically the same and every photon is basically the same because they're all part of the same field. It was a question for a long time, like why does every electron have exactly the same mass and exactly the same charge? Why is every photon zero mass? Why are they all identical?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And the answer is kind of beautiful as well. They're all wiggles in the same field.
Speaker 2: It's not like the.
Speaker 1: Universe made a bunch of electrons and it was really good at it, so it was super precise, and the electron factories like high precision engineering, so they're really you know, balls on perfect it's because they literally are the same thing that are just ripples in the same field.
Speaker 3: Well, that's convenient because it's easier to think of it as a field, right than as a particle.
Speaker 1: Mathematically, it's much easier because if you want to think about like particles being created, oh, that's just energy going into the field, whereas in the shirting equation it's like pretty hard to create a particle and add its wave function to your calculations, and the same thing with destroying particles. It's really awkward if you're thinking about it one particle at a time, and very natural if you're thinking about it as a group of particles.
Speaker 3: The universe threw us a softball. Thanks universe. Okay, So when I was in high school, I learned about electrons and protons and neutrons. I don't remember hearing about quarks. But you know, since high school, I've learned that protons are made up of quarks. But I think particles as being the smallest things that make up everything. And so if quirks make up protons, does that mean protons aren't particles or are they both particles but maybe different categories of particles? What's going on here?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a great question. So we mostly use these fields to describe fundamental particles, things that we think are not made of anything else. So the photon and the electron, et cetera. Those particles are wiggles and fields that are just a basic element of space itself.
Speaker 2: But you can totally use.
Speaker 1: The same math to describe wiggles in other stuff, like water in the ocean or sound waves in the air. These are just wave equations, and the universe is kind of wavy, and you can also identify particles of those fields quanta of those fields. A phonon, for example, is a packet of sound, the way a photon is a packet of light. The math is the same, it's just what's wiggling is not fundamentally universe stuff whatever that is, but something else water or air or plasma or whatever.
Speaker 2: So we distinguish these.
Speaker 1: Things from particles by calling them quasi particles. But the point is that the math still works, all right. So to your question about the proton, we know the proton is not a fundamental particle. It's made of quarks, so there's no proton field, right. Well, actually, if you zoom out far enough so you can't see the inside of the proton, it kind of acts like a particle that moves around the universe the way a particle does. And you can pretend that there is a proton field. You can write it down mathematically and use it to describe the motion of the proton as a particle. And the proton field is like an approximate description of the quark fields dancing together. The way they interact together makes it seem like there is a proton field, and until you get enough energy that breaks that proton apart, it all works just fine. And the same, of course, might be true of the electron. We think that there is an electron field, a fundamental part of space. But if the electron is just made of other little particles, which are the true fundamental particles, then the electron field is just an approximate description of those fields dancing together.
Speaker 3: All right, So where do you go from there?
Speaker 1: So in this picture, particles are not little bits of stuff, right, you have to give up that whole idea, that whole mental picture we've had since Democritus that said the universe is made of particles and particles are little bits of stuff. Now we say, well, particles are not little bits of stuff. They're wiggles in these fields. And that means something really deep. It means that the universe is not made of particles. It's made of fields. Particles are just something that happens to fields. There's just something fields can do.
Speaker 2: You know. It's like discovering.
Speaker 1: Okay, ice cream exists in the world, but actually it's not fundamental. Universe is not made of ice cream. There's times when you don't have ice cream. There's whole periods in the universe when there was no ice cream. It's hard to imagine there was a moment when somebody invented ice cream for the first time, right, and the universe was filled with light. Yes, what it means is that we've gone one level deeper though, right.
Speaker 2: This is the whole goal. It's like, what really is.
Speaker 1: At the foundation? What is everything made out of? And this takes quite a left turn. It says, yeah, the universe is not built of little bits. Those bits are actually just ripples in these fields that fill the universe. And I want people to really have an accurate visual image of what these fields are because people think about, Okay, a particle is a ripple in the field, or it's an excitation in the field, And you should understand that a field really is a wavy kind of thing. It can do the same wavy kind of things that other fields can do. You know, like imagine a guitar string. What does a guitar string do when you pluck it, you pull it back and so now it's like you're stretching the string, right, we say in physics, now it has a lot of potential energy because a lot of tangent in there really wants to go back to its relaxed position.
Speaker 2: What happens when you relax it?
Speaker 1: What happens when you let it go, Well, it flies back to that relaxed position. But now it's moving really fast, so now has a lot of speed, rights a lot of kinetic energy. So it doesn't actually stop there when it gets back to the relaxed position. It keeps going and it bends the other way, and it oscillates back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. It slashes back and forth between potential energy and kinetic energy. That's what a wave equation, and that's a wave like phenomenal. I mean that slashes back and forth. That's what fields are doing. Fields you can think of them as these numbers in space, but those numbers are slashing back and forth. The field itself has potential energy and kinetic energy. The changing of those numbers has a speed to it. And when we solve the wave equations for fields, what is fundamentally quantum field theory the bedrock of modern particle physics. That's what the solutions look like like. The Higgs field is oscillating when we say a photon is an oscillation in the electromagnetic field, We mean the values of the field. Those numbers in space, Those arrows, they're moving, they're wiggling, they're slashing around.
Speaker 3: So when I was in high school, we got the like plum pudding model. So yes, I do think now about particles as like a raisin embedded in something, and not as like a wave function. If I were in high school right now, would I be taught something more like what you just said? How long have we known about this stuff? Why does this feel new? Is what I'm asking? Is it new? Or did I forget?
Speaker 1: It's a great time to ask me this question because my daughter, who's taking high school chemistry right now, is learning about this stuff and asking me questions about it. So I'm getting like a front row seat too. How are people taught about the nature of matter in high school? Yeah, and yeah, they're taught about the plum putting model. Though, just for the record, the plum putting model is not a modern conception. It was like disproved by Rutherford, right. People thought, well, maybe the universe is filled with this jelly of positive stuff. Sounds tasty, but it's not the way that we understand it. It's in contrast to having like a hard dense nucleus at the core. So the plum putting model, they teach it to them and then they throw it out, but they don't really go very deep into like the quantum mechanics of it. Even in AP chemistry, I discovered they don't really talk about this stuff, and they certainly don't talk about particle physics in AP physics. So in high school you don't really get a whole lot of this modern stuff. I teach modern physics at the college level, and that's the first time we really give people an understanding of the nineteen thirties concept of what is a particle and how does quantum mechanics work. And then we don't show them quantum fields until like graduate school. So I didn't learn about quanum field until I was in like eighteenth grade.
Speaker 2: So you know, this is not the kind of.
Speaker 1: Stuff that percolates mostly into high school. Maybe fortunately, maybe unfortunately, I would love to have some of these ideas introduced earlier.
Speaker 3: So you think if you talked to just about any recent graduate of high school, they're probably still thinking of electrons as particles that stay in one spot.
Speaker 1: Tiny little dots orbiting the nucleus. Do you know Electrons don't orbit, They don't have specific locations. They can't be in one spot and have a specific velocity. You can measure them here, you can measure them there, but they're weird quantum objects. They don't go from here to there. They don't obey all the intuitive rules that you expect things that have specific locations to do.
Speaker 3: So we can all feel good about our advanced physics knowledge.
Speaker 1: Now, yes, exactly, you have pushed well beyond high school and even college physics. And you know, I have to underscore how powerful this quantum field theory approach is. To say that all particles are just ripples and fields, and the universe fundamentally is made of these fields. All space is filled with many kinds of fields. You have one for the electron, one for the muon, one for the upcork, one for the down cork.
Speaker 2: We have more than a.
Speaker 1: Dozen fields that fill space. This is a really powerful way to think about the universe. We see patterns in these fields, how energy flows from one to the other, their symmetries that they observe. It's allowed us to make really powerful, very accurate calculations of all sorts of stuff that we see happening in particle experiments, and so it's really beautiful and really crisp and really clear. And I think that most particle physicists this is what they think about, or most theoretical physicists, imagine the universe as filled with fields and particles as just ripples in them. But of course it's a field filled with controversy, and so not everybody agrees with that view. There are lots of people who have a very different concept of what a particle is and fundamentally how it all works at the bottom level.
Speaker 3: So to back up real quick, the field's theory has produced loads of testable hypotheses that have been tested and panned out. But there are still some people who think maybe something else is going on that explains these resultss and what are they proposing is happening.
Speaker 1: Then they suggest the fields are a fiction, that the fields don't really exist, that the fields are basically just a calculational tool we use in our minds to explain what we see, because in the end, you can't observe a field. You can't directly see a field. It's always an intermedia thing like what you can see are particles. You see those little dots on your screen, or you see the electron deflected in your cathode ray. It's always particle, like I'm doing air quotes when we see it, And particles are what we observe, They're what.
Speaker 2: We interact with.
Speaker 1: Yes, we can use fields to explain them, and yes we can think about fields as being out there, but it's hard to argue philosophically that we know fields are real in some way other than we can use them to calculate these experiments. You can't like really directly see them. And lots of famous physicists like Nima or Kanye Ahmed, one of the maybe most brilliant modern particle physicists, calls them a convenient fiction.
Speaker 3: Huh, So would someone like Nima then argue it's all just particles, Like the field thing is throwing us off track. We were on track with the particles, and we just got to stick with thinking about particles and figure out a way to measure yes at that level instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and here I want to take the opportunity to disentangle something you hear about a lot in popular science. People probably hear oh, particles or ripples in a field. But they also hear this other story, like what happens when two electrons repel each other, Oh, they exchange a photon. They're passing a photon back and forth.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: What you're doing there is rejecting the field picture. The field picture of what happens when electrons push on each other is an electron makes a field around it, the electromagnetic field, right, and that field pushes on the other electron. That's the field picture. People who don't believe in fields, they're like, just explain it all in terms of particles. You don't need the field. What happens when an electron pushes on another electron is it throws a photon at the other one. And so you can either explain everything in terms of particles that are pushed by fields, or you can explain it just in terms of particles and say you don't need fields. Just go particles all the way down. There are particles we observe, and they push on each other by passing other particles between themselves. So you can basically replace the fields with an infinite number of particles doing all the pushing and pulling and all that other stuff that some people say fields are doing and the frustrating, slash confusing, slash amazing thing is that you do the calculation since you get the same answer. So is it particles is it fields? We can't tell the difference because the two theories mathematically are equivalent. It's like, either you can imagine these fields which fill space, which are beautiful and elegant but kind of weird, like what are they? Or you can say, I'm going to replace those fields by a bunch of particles flying around doing that same work.
Speaker 3: And are you a field guy?
Speaker 1: I was a fields guy until I read this book about whether science can be done without math. You know, people wonder like is math invented? Or is it something in our minds? And there's a guy who developed an alternative theory of gravity that doesn't use any math, no numbers at all. It's called science without numbers, and it's really weird. It's very alien. You read it and you're like, what was this guy smoking? And where can I get some? But he philosophically pulls it off. He shows that you don't need to have fields essentially, and the crucial insight in that book is to get rid of fields, because fields are like numbers in space. So he divorces physics from mathematics by ditching fields. My favorite part of the story the guy's last name Fields. So Professor Fields gets rid of fields, the field fieldless theory of physics. There's lots of jokes you could make there, but it made me wonder, you know, like our field's just something we think about or they actually out there. When aliens come and talk to us about their theory of physics, will they have fields in it? Or will they have Schmields or something totally different?
Speaker 3: So have you dodged my question or are you saying that you're a particle person.
Speaker 2: I'm saying I don't know.
Speaker 1: I used to be a fields person, but now I teach the controversy, got it?
Speaker 3: Okay? So when you first said that there were people who reject fields, I thought that was going to get us into string theory. Are we going to get to string theory too? There's three options. So there's particles, fields, and strings. Is that right?
Speaker 2: There's more than three options? Unfortunately?
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's lots of directions to go here. People also wonder, like, well, what are these fields? Are fields that bend ra the truth of the universe at the firmament is that the thing that has to exist. And it's sort of unsatisfactory because, well, why are there all these different fields? Why do we have the electron and the muon, which is like a weird heavy version of the electron. Why are there these obvious patterns among the fields that we can't explain. And one explanation for that are strings, to say, well, none of these things are what's at the bedrock underneath it all is something else, and strings are this idea that the universe is not made out of field to instead these one dimensional bits of matter that can do wavy like stuff. They can wiggle, and they can dance, and they can wiggle in various ways. And if you're zoom down far enough so you can't see the actual string bits themselves, when they wiggle one way, it looks like an electron field, and when they wiggle another way, it looks like a muon field, and when wiggle a third way, it looks like a photon. And so all these fields are actually just different wiggles in these strings. This is another beautiful bit of mathematics. Nobody's proven to be true or not, but might represent what's going on underneath all of this, right, So maybe particles are ripples and fields which are just wiggles in strings.
Speaker 3: So string theory is still a popular contender. I thought maybe string theory was waning, but I'm you know, not in this field. What's the current state of the string theory.
Speaker 1: String theory was very popular in the nineties. It seemed very exciting. People discovered this math and could do all sorts of fun stuff with it. And they've done a lot of fun stuff, but they haven't been able to prove that it's true because they talk about the mathematics of the strings, but nobody can see these strings.
Speaker 2: The strings are too small.
Speaker 1: In order to see the strings themselves, you'd need like a collideer to the size of the solar system, and we don't have the funds for that. And so until they make a prediction that we can actually test it, say like, oh, string theory, if it's true, we should be able to see this thing, then we don't know if it's just mathematics or if it's actually a description of the universe. And so there's been a lot of people who are negative about string theory for that reason. I still think it's exciting, but there are other ideas out there about you know, what the universe could be made out of?
Speaker 3: What else?
Speaker 1: As you were saying earlier, we tend to think about the brain as made out of whatever is the latest technology in the same way we try to think about the universe that way. Like the advent of quantum computing makes us think about cubits and information And there's a whole line of argument that I think we should talk about, probably on another episode, about whether the whole universe is just a quantum computer and particles are like patterns and the flow of information in this quantum computer. There are folks who do these experiments that discover that if you build a space time from entangled cubits, that these patterns naturally arise, which have properties that align well with.
Speaker 2: The particles that we see.
Speaker 1: This is all really very speculative stuff, but it's sort of the forefront of current research. People wondering, like, what's underneath all this stuff? Maybe it really is even different than democratists imagined, or Schrotinger or even Fineman.
Speaker 3: What is a cubit.
Speaker 1: A cubit is a quantum analogy to a classical bit, like in your computer. A bit is something that can be zero or one. It's like the minimum piece of information you can have. It's boiled down to just two options, like a switch you can flip. And a normal bit is in one state, but a quantum bit has a probability to be in one state or in the other. It's not necessarily in one or the other. So it's a cubit is a quantum bit. And people wonder if fundamentally the universe is made out of cubits that are somehow woven together to make space and time and our reality. But we'll dig into that in a whole other episode.
Speaker 3: Awesome, all right, So if we tomorrow were to find out which one of these explanations was correct, what would that change? So that would be satisfying, But where could we go from there? That would be even cooler, Like what doors would that open up? For us?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow, awesome question. You're basically asking, like, why do we care about any of this? So what does it mean for us? For me, it's like really deeply important and to understand what is the nature of the universe we're in, You know, what is it made out of? If you told me the universe starts from these conditions, and everything else follows from that, Like to have a universe, you have to have space and time and this little bit of stuff, and then everything else, all the complexity, the blueberries, the kittens, the lava, the podcast, all that comes from how that stuff is arranged and interacts.
Speaker 2: And that's cool.
Speaker 1: I want to know what is the most fundamental thing, because that tells me something deep about the nature of the universe. If it's this, then the universe is that way in some deep wave. It's that the universe is another way, in some deep way, and I just fundamentally want to know. It doesn't change how you drink your coffee, it doesn't change how you treat people. It doesn't change what investments you should make. But it changes what it means to be alive in this universe in a really important way.
Speaker 2: To me. It's very uncomfortable that we don't know the.
Speaker 1: Answer to the basic question of like, what is the fundamental building block of the universe we live in. It's like being born into a jail and not knowing who built it or what's in the outside. It's like, I want to break out of this ignorance.
Speaker 3: I found myself personally wanting the answer to be that everything is a field and it's sort of connected in a way that feels like, I don't know, maybe sort of like kum bay us sit around a fire sort of feeling. But I like that stuff, so anyway, I guess my gut wants that to be the answer. But yes, I think it would be good for us to know the answer to this very fundamental question.
Speaker 1: And I suspect the answer is none of these and something even weirder. That's going to be so difficult for us to understand. It's going to be a stretch to even explain in terms of our intuitive language of concepts. You know, we're going to have to use kiwis and fields and particles and strings and all sorts of other stuff to try to wrap our minds around the way that we universe actually works, which has no guarantee that it's even understandable to us.
Speaker 3: So people are going to be like Democratus thought it was sour because it was like little knives, and then Daniel and Kelly thought it was like strings and fields. What idiots? So you know, who knows what they'll think in a hundred or so years.
Speaker 2: I hope they're laughing at us. In one hundred years, that would be awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, progress is good.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thanks everybody for taking this journey with us from the ancient misunderstanding of what matter was to our modern misunderstanding of what matter is. And we hope to continue this journey and to slowly chisel away towards some actual, solid understanding.
Speaker 3: Have a good week everyone. Daniel and Kelly's Extraordinary Universe is produced by iHeartRadio. We would love to hear from you, We really would.
Speaker 1: We want to know what questions you have about this Extraordinary Universe.
Speaker 3: We want to know your thoughts on recent shows, suggestions for future shows. If you contact us, we will get back to you.
Speaker 1: We really mean it. We answer every message. Email us at Questions at Danielandkelly dot.
Speaker 3: Org, or you can find us on social media. We have accounts on x, Instagram, Blue Sky and on all of those platforms. You can find us at D and K Universe.
Speaker 2: Don't be shy write to us