Speaker 1: School of Humans.
Speaker 2: In the winter of twenty eleven, something was very wrong with fifty seven year old Robert Wayne Cox. Robert had always been healthy and athletic. According to his sister Lydia, Robert was basically happiest when he was at home. He lived on a thirty five acre plot of land in Havan, Arkansas, a tiny town where the population hovers between three and four hundred people.
Speaker 1: Robert was a homebody.
Speaker 2: He loved hanging out with his family and also, according to his sister, he loved messing around with old cars, restoring them and doing construction projects. He actually helped build the log cabin that was on his property. He was very proud of that accomplishment. Robert was happily married. He had been with his wife, Vicki for over twenty years. She had two children. Robert also had a son named Brian from a previous marriage. Robert's father, Jean, lived in a home he had built on the property back in two thousand and six, and his sister Lydia lived just down the road. For a long time, Robert Cox had a very happy and settled life. But in twenty ten, something started happening to Robert Cox. There was a very rapid physical deterioration, and by the fall of twenty ten, Robert couldn't really walk. His chin dropped down to his chest. He became completely nonverbal. His sister, Lydia, was terrified by what was happening to her brother. She took him to doctor after doctor trying to find answers. Then, on February nineteenth, twenty eleven, Robert Wayne Cox disappeared without a trace. He has never been seen again. I'm Catherine Townsend. This is Helen Gone Murder Line. If you have a case you'd like me and my team to look into, you can reach out to us at our Helen Gone Murder Line at six seven eight seven four four six one four five. That's six seven eight seven four four six one four or five. When we asked for people to reach out and to leave voicemails about unsald murders, I knew that we would get a big response. I didn't quite understand how tremendous the response would be. I got seven voicemails about Robert Cox's case. Seven different people reached out to me, either on our murder line or on my personal number or via Facebook to tell me about this missing person's case. There are so many people in Arkansas and everywhere around the country who cared deeply about this case. One of those calls came from Robert Cox's sister, Lydia Cox Carter.
Speaker 3: Hello, my name is Lydia Cox Carter. My brother has been missing, possibly murdered for the last twelve and a half years. I have struggled with law enforcement like nobody's business. Uh, there has never been a proper investigation done. I believe there is family involvement, the wife, his own son, and step kids. He was on hospice at the time of his supposed disappearance. We are in Havana, Arkansas, which is Yale County, and the new sheriff that we have now that come into office this year, he has opened up my brother's case to outside agencies.
Speaker 2: Over the years, Lydia has been her brother's biggest champion, and she has fought ever since the day he disappeared to get answers and to figure out what happened to her brother. Robert Wayne Cox was born and raised in California.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty seven, he moved to Arkansas.
Speaker 2: He went to work for the county Road Department and became a road foreman, a job he would have for the next fifteen years. Robert married and he and his first wife had a son named Brian. Eventually, the couple divorced, and apparently it was acrimonious.
Speaker 1: In fact, according to Lydia, Robert's.
Speaker 2: Ex wife hated him after the divorce, but Lydia said that Robert always maintained a close relationship with his son Brian. After the road form and job, Robert started working for a close friend of his. This involved working with heavy equipment, helping with cattle, and doing rural projects clearing trees for logging, that kind of thing. This suited Robert because he loved working outdoors. In the early nineties, Robert married again to Vicki. Lydia moved back to the area in nineteen ninety five, and she and Vicki became close friends.
Speaker 4: Here's Lydia, Me and Herber liked best friends from the get go. Yeah she was funny, she had a great sense of humor. She fit in with our family. She thought the sun rose and said on Robert Cox. She was always with him every opportunity at that time. And yeah, we used to go grocery shopping together. Yard sailing. We drive to Kentucky to go see her daughter and her little granddaughter. I mean we did everything together.
Speaker 2: Vicki had two kids. Lydia said that they were all close. The two sons went to high school together. They were tight even after the boys grew up and moved out of the house. Vicky worked as a supervisor for Levi. Later she began working as a hairdresser. In two thousand and six, Robert helped his father, Jean, build a home on the property. For a long time, Robert's life was great. He had a happy marriage, a happy, blended family, and he was able to work outside doing what he loved.
Speaker 1: But things started to change.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and eight, there was a global recession, so Robert's friend had to let Robert go. By now Robert was in his mid fifties. He found himself out of work and at a loose end. This hit Robert hard Lydia said this was the beginning of his depression. His mental health started to deteriorate. Now around this time, Robert also started to fixate more on Vicki. He began to suspect that Vicky was being unfaithful. At first, Lydia said she thought Robert was being paranoid. She could not imagine Vicky betraying her brother.
Speaker 4: Toward the end of two thousand and nine, he started in saying, telling me, you know that he felt like Vicky was messing around Donnie. He'd been following her and stuff. And I said, you're crazy. She ain't miss her hound, don you And He's like, yes, she is, Yes she is. At that point in time, I just never believed that she was doing something like that. Now, whether she was or not, I don't know.
Speaker 2: When Vicky took a cruise with her family, Robert's extreme anxiety increased. Vicky would leave the house, Robert would wonder where she was and who she was with. Sometimes Robert would get into his truck and follow Vicky. Throughout twenty ten, things kept getting worse.
Speaker 4: He got very I guess you could say, kind of clingy with her. And then he started driving back and forth. See, we live almost thirty miles from here to Russellville where she was working, and he'd drive over there, sometimes two, three, four times a day just to make sure she was at work because he just knew that she was messing around on him. So there was also something, you know, I guess mental going on, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Later in twenty ten, as things were continuing to escalate, that's when the physical symptoms started. Lyddy and her dad drove Robert to different doctors. They put him on several different medications, Zoloft first and then some other drugs, but he was experiencing some negative side effects from the medication.
Speaker 4: I believe it was zoloft, and when he was on that, he started hallucinating. He'd look out into the field and he'd say, you see that bear or that lying down there or something like that. And then at one point he got to where they had him on a psychiatric drug, and he would think that he would see my mom or our mom's deceased and our oldest brother is deceased. He would think that he would see them down in my dad's vehicles, sitting in the vehicle. So he would take like a blanket or a jacket, or a bowl of soup or something down there because he thought he was seeing them sitting in there.
Speaker 2: The doctors took him off the drugs and his hallucinations went away, but his paranoia remained. Lydia was frustrated. She thought that Vicki didn't seem to be worried enough about Robert's rapid physical and mental deterioration. Lydia said she wanted her brother to go to the doctor to be tested for dementia. He did see a couple of different doctors. One doctor said it was possible that Robert could have frontal lobe damage, but the doctor said they needed to get a pet scan in order to get a more definite diagnosis.
Speaker 1: But there was a hitch.
Speaker 2: Robert didn't have health insurance because he had been out of work for so long, and that pet scan would cost four thousand dollars. Jean, Robert's father, said that he would pay for the treatment, but Vicky refused, even when Lydia claimed she told her sister in law that Vicky would not have to pay Gene back. She claims that Vicky just said no. Testing for dementia was scheduled, but Robert never made it to the appointment. At this point, Robert was also experiencing a lot of physical problems. I saw a home video that Lydia is shared with a local news station, and it really gives an idea of how difficult it was for Robert to move around. We're going to provide a link to that video in our episode notes, and I really recommend that you check it out because within a few months this man went from being a vital, fifty something active guy who was in shape to literally shuffling, barely moving forward. He looked like a ninety year old man walking around. The difference is extremely dramatic.
Speaker 4: The last time that he was actually verbal was on his birthday, which is September twenty eighth to twenty ten. After that it was just downhill. After that, he was having trouble swallowing, like eating whole foods and stuff like that. So I started making his food purade. My dad went and lotch you know, insurance stuff, and by Thanksgiving of twenty ten, the head was dropping and by Christmas of twenty ten, his chin was resting on his chest.
Speaker 2: By December of twenty ten, ten were continuing to mount between Vicky and Lydia. Then one day, Lydia got a Facebook message that she said stopped her cold.
Speaker 4: One night toward the end of December, Vicky sent me a Facebook message told me that you know that she had talked to the kids, and Brian's wife, Rebecca sent Vicky a Facebook message and then Vicky shared it with me, and Rebecca said, will go along with whatever y'all want to do. But Robert told Brian that if he ever got sick like his mom, he'd want Brian to kill him. So I immediately printed that off. I don't know why I did, but thank God that I did. And I'd come back at Vicky and I said, who would even talk or be thinking about that in a time like this, And She's like, I know, She said, I don't know what I would do without you if I didn't have you help in me, because you know, Brian, once his dad started getting sick, he just quit coming around as much and stuff, and him and his dad was pretty tired. And then after when all this took place, Brian come out and he seen him a couple of times out in a pasture across the road from his dad's house, and then after that him and his wife just kind of disappeared, and everybody was asking me, my husband and other neighbors, like, where's Brian, Where's Brian? Why ain't Brian out here? Because nobody's seen Brian.
Speaker 2: Again, we're coming up to the day when Robert Cox went missing in February of twenty eleven. But first I want to take a step back here and talk about this property that Robert and Vickie lived on, because understanding that terrain is crucial to figuring out what happened to Robert Cox. Robert and Bickie's home was on a thirty five acre piece of land. Robert's father, Jean, had a small house on that property on a three acre plot. Lydia lived just about a mile away. There were a couple of neighbors between them. The entire area around Robert Cox's house was bordered with something called clearcut.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you know what a clearcut is, but they'll plant like a pine thicket and they let them trees grow to about for about fifteen twenty years, and then they'll come in and they'll clear cut it and they take the biggest part of the tree and then they delimit. So when a clearcut is done being cut, it is very very rough ground and there is tree tops, branches, you know, big holes where they pull the trees out of the ground and all that stuff. I mean, it's just a big mess.
Speaker 2: In his week in state, Lydia explained there was no way that Robert could have navigated that property by himself because he would be in danger of falling. Also, Lydia said, by the time her brother disappeared, he was not going out by himself. Going out by himself would have been completely out of character.
Speaker 1: It would have been very dangerous for him.
Speaker 2: The last time that Lydia saw her brother was on Wednesday night, February sixteenth. On that evening, Vicky brought Robert by Lydia's house. Lydia said the next couple of days were pretty busy. Her dad Jean saw Robert, but she didn't see him on Thursday or Friday. She and her husband were getting ready to have company, and so she was getting the house ready and just taking care of a lot of things. So now we come to that fateful day, Saturday, February nineteenth, twenty eleven, the day that Robert went missing. Lydia took us through her memories of that day, a day she says she relives over and over. Her day started at around eight thirty. She called her dad, Jean to ask if he had breakfast yet. Jean told her that he was planning on driving to chalk taw At, nearby town. He was taking a drive to pick up some wagon wheels that he had left there to be repaired. This was Lydia's regular routine. By the way, she often went to her brother's house at least once a day, sometimes multiple times, in order to check on her elderly father and her brother. Lydia told Jean he needed to have something to eat, so at around eight thirty, her dad stopped at her house to have a quick breakfast. Then he left to run his errand Lydia spent the rest of the morning cleaning her house, taking care of chores. She was getting ready to have company. Then at twelve thirty, Lydia said she realized that she hadn't checked in on her brother yet, so she called her brother's house and Vickie answered the phone.
Speaker 4: So it was exactly twelve thirty two pm when I made the call up there. She answered the phone, and I said, what are y'all doing? She said, well, Angie's painting my toe nails and doing laundry. And she said Shelby, the granddaughter, was doing something. She may have been outside riding before will or something, I don't know, I don't remember. And then I said, well, what's brother doing? She said, well, I don't know. She said, he was in here pulling on my arm. But he's been gone for about ten minutes. And I said, well, don't you think you need to send somebody outside to make sure he's okay? Because I wasn't worried about him wandering off because he was very homebody. He was either in and out of his house or walking from his house to my dad's house. And so she told Shelby, the granddaughter, she said, go outside and see if you see or papaw. When I heard her go out the door, heard her stand on the porch, called Papa, pappaw a few times. Come back in. She said, no, I don't see him. Vicky said, well, when my toenails dry, she said, I'll slip my shoes on and I'll go outside and see where he's at. And I said, no, you get off your ass now and you go outside and see where he's at. She said, okay, okay, and I said, keep me on the phone. They supposedly went outside, looked around the yard. She's like, I don't see him anywhere. I'm telling her places to look, and I said, make sure he's not in the garage, make sure he's not in the storage shed, and then next to his garage there was a gap, and I said, well, go in that gap and make sure he's not behind one of those buildings. She supposedly did that, and she said, oh, yeah, I see him. He's almost to the road. I'm going to go get my keys and get my car out of the garage and go up on the road and pick him up. So we hung up. I went running out to the shop where my husband was working, told him what was going on. And I told him, I said, I swear to God, she's going to wind up killing my brother or losing him. And I said, I'm fixing to whip out that power of attorney and take him away from her and bring him down here. And he's like, well, whatever you want to do, we'll do it. So I come back in the house. I start doing my chores again because I'm thinking everything's okay. So about thirty minutes later, I hear my cell phone telling me I had a voicemail. So I pick up the voicemail. She says, well, we can't find Rob and hung up. That's all she said. So I go running out back out to the shop. I told my husband. I said apparently they've lost him. Get on your quad head that way. I'm going to get my horse. I'll be there as quick as I can.
Speaker 2: Lydia jumped on her horse and rode toward Robert's house as fast as she could. Her husband jumped on his squad bike. It had rained recently in the area, so that ground was saturated. Lydia said that her horse was getting bogged down in that mud, so the area, which was tough to navigate on the best of days, became almost impossible. Lydia saw a neighbor, Bob, approaching from the north side of the clearcut. Lydia talked to Bob and found out that Vicky had been to Bob's house. Now it's unclear whether she actually talked to Bob, Lydia says she believes that Vicky went to the house, didn't see him, and then called and left him a message. Anyway, somehow Bob got the message, so by the time Lydia got to Robert's house, several people were already there looking for him. Bob, another neighbor named Don Angela, her daughter, Shelby, and Vicky, plus the local mail carrier. By that night, there were over one hundred volunteers scouring the woods looking for Robert, literally more than a third of the town. A friend who had a private plane went up in the air and flew around all afternoon. He found no sign of Robert. Lydia said law enforcement showed up, and from the beginning her relationship with the Yale County Sheriff's Department was pretty strained.
Speaker 4: She said.
Speaker 2: The local sheriff's department was really unprepared for a missing person's case like this. Lydia admits she was frustrated by some of their decisions, like the fact that they set up their command post a quarter of a mile away. Lydia wanted to know why they weren't setting it up closer to home, and why they weren't questioning Robert's family members already. Lydia was questioning aspects of Vicky's story. First of all, she wondered, how could her brother, who had difficulty walking a few steps, somehow walk hundreds of yards to the edge of that clear cut and disappear within just a few minutes. Secondly, Lydia thought it was strange that Vicky went to see a neighbor, but that it was it's the neighbor's son who actually called the police. Her brother was vulnerable, why hadn't Vicky called nine to one one? Then Lydia noticed something else. When she was talking to their neighbor Don Don, was describing his attempt to recreate the scene with Vicky. Don asked Vicky exactly where she was standing when she was talking to Lyddy on the phone and where Robert was standing. Lydia said that from where Vicky said she was talking on the phone, she could not have seen Robert through the dense brush.
Speaker 4: So when my neighbor Don first got up there, he was the first one there and he asked her, He said, show me exactly where you last seen Rob. And she took him down there and showed him and said right here. And he said when he got down there, there were no footprints whatsoever. And then when my neighbor Bob come riding up on his horse, he come right along that edge there next to my brother's property where she claimed she had seen him. And Bob yelled from in the clearcut up to the road. Who's got stars on the bottom of their shoes? She says, I do. She had on a pair of shoes that apparently had stars on the bottom of them.
Speaker 2: Remember, it had rain recently, which means that anyone walking out there would presumably leave fairly deep footprints. Yet the only footprints the neighbor found in that area, according to Lydia, were Vickie's. I asked Lydia if law enforcement took pictures of those footprints. Her response was telling.
Speaker 4: Who law enforcements? Yeah, they done nothing. No, man, they did not.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if law enforcement was even in that clearcut.
Speaker 2: The Yale County Sheriff's Department kept searching. The state police came in at around ten pm that night. They brought bloodhounds and volunteers and they did search everywhere. They went through fields, barns, cars, abandoned wells, sinkholes, and anywhere else they could think of.
Speaker 1: But they found no trace of Robert. But the dogs did alert on the property.
Speaker 4: Dog handler come in and she said, well, my dog trackeding north along the edge of the clear cut and then out east part way across the clear cut. I told her, I said, there ain't no way. Then she said they tracked him, you know, out in the yard and then up the driveway to the end of the driveway and then the dog lost sin. So then that's when the theory come in. Well, somebody must have drove by and picked him up.
Speaker 2: This seemed far fetched to Lydia. Lydia said that a strange car going unnoticed would have been very strange in their neighborhood. This was a place where everyone knew everyone. They knew when the trash truck came in and when it left, So the idea that someone could have driven by and picked Robert up at that exact time of day during a five minute period is very implausible. Also, if they did, what would their motive have been? When he disappeared. Robert had nothing on him, no wallet, no medication. What would their motive be for picking up and kidnapping an elderly man in the middle of the afternoon. Lydia said that at some point someone told her that the first search dogs had been tired, so she called the sheriff at the time. Sheriff guilty. She said she would like to get fresher search dogs out there, and she said he cussed her out, but the sheriff did relent and agreed to send more dogs. When the second group of dogs came to the area, they alerted in only one place, the front door. Vicki told law enforcement that when Robert left the house that day, he was wearing gray tennis shoes, gray sweatpants, and a navy blue hoodie. To Lydia, the clothing description was also a bit strange.
Speaker 4: My brother dressed western boots, jeans, flannel shirts, T shirts, you know, very simple in plain.
Speaker 1: So a hoodie would have been a little out of character.
Speaker 4: Very much out of character. I mean I never seen him wear a hoodie, even when he was, you know, sick. I mean, she was still putting his T shirts on and then putting a flannel on, you know, over the T shirts, like he always did. I don't know where the blue hoodie come from.
Speaker 2: Could someone else have been walking around a hoodie, someone who wanted to create the description that way in case they were spotted from a distance. Lydia's mind came up with many possibilities, but all of them, in her imagination, ended with someone doing something unspeakable to her brother.
Speaker 4: I got to the point to where I was following vultures, you know, I'd see him circling out in the pasture, and I'd follow him, and I'd get out and I'd go look just to make sure, because you don't know. At that point, it was hard for me to wrap my mind around that somebody and my family could hurt my brother. But it was kind of looking pretty iffy that somebody very well could have done something to him.
Speaker 2: But her conversations with law enforcement continue to be frustrating, since, according to her, they did not seem to consider the possibility of Robert being the victim of foul play.
Speaker 4: Why ain't just setting up in his yard and questioning family, well, because that's the last ones that supposedly seen him, But they didn't. And they just kept coming up to me and asking me different questions and about my brother. And I'm like, you don't understand. I said, he ain't able to navigate this. The man's chin was resting on his chest. He was on hospice, and you know where's he gonna go. He walked with a shuffled gate to disappear in five minutes, and that's what she said. The timeline at was five minutes.
Speaker 2: Lyndia was also wondering where her brother's son Brian was, why he wasn't on social media posting why he wasn't in her opinion, helping more with the search. Eventually, she admits she suspected multiple people in the family may have been aware, at least of what was going on. She said that she really noticed that Vicky did not appear to be that concerned about Robert.
Speaker 4: She was out there talking and laughing with them and carrying on. I don't know who it was. Could have been somebody in her family, I don't know, because a bunch of her family come home started flowing in after that. Another person told me that she was outside in the yard and there was people up there, you know, looking all around the yard and around the house and everything, and she's like, there's plenty of food and drink in here. If you guys get hungry, thirsty, come on in, get you whatever you want and whatever and stuff like that, and just you know, nobody were seeing. The woman shed a tear. I never seen her shed it here.
Speaker 2: Also on Sunday, Lydia got another shock when she went to her brother's house. She found hospice nurses there taking her brother's things away. Robert had been missing less than twenty four hours.
Speaker 4: Sunday morning, she had Hospice out there and had them come and pick up everything, the hospital bed, the bedside, come ode, you know, just whatever they brought out, because she said he wasn't coming back.
Speaker 2: After Lydia saw the nurses taking Robert's things out of his home only twenty four hours after he had gone missing, she said the relationship between her and Vickie deteriorated fast. Lydia had thought of Vicky as a sister, but Lydia says they have not spoken since March of twenty eleven, just a few weeks after her brother went missing. Lydia also wondered about her suspicion started on Saturday night when she asked Vicki about why Brian and his wife were not out late searching for Robert.
Speaker 4: I've seen her about ten o'clock and she said, well, I finally heard from Brian. And I said, and she said, well, they got wet and tired, so they went home and took a shower and went to bed. And I said, so your dad is missing, and he's a sick human being, and you're wet and tired and you're going to go to bed.
Speaker 2: Lydia could not wrap her head around this. She had always known Brian and her brother Robert to have a very close relationship. She couldn't understand why, in her opinion, Brian didn't seem to be more proactive about searching for his father. However, as time went on, she kept thinking back to that weird Facebook message, the one about a mercy killing. She wondered, could Brian have known something about what happened? Lydia says that after that, her relationship with Brian also completely fell apart.
Speaker 4: That following Monday, Brian was off work that day, so I had gone that to Vicki's to my brother's house to take care of the dogs. She had some goats at that time and some chickens, so I went up there to take care of them chores for her. And when I come back around the front of the house, Brian and his wife was there, and Brian had my brother's quad in the yard and he was bent over working on it, and I was talking to Becca. I don't remember what we were saying, but anyways, I'm sure something about what was going on. Brian never turned around and looked at me, and I told him, I said, Brian, I said, you know there's something wrong with this story, right, I said, you know there is no way your dad could have walked out in that clear cut and disappeared. He said, well, we gotta go, he says, I got to go to my friends. I don't remember why, but they loaded up and left and night laid eyes on that kid.
Speaker 2: Since Later, her father Jean, went to Dan Bell where Brian was working as a mechanic, and tried to talk to him.
Speaker 1: He also got the silent treatment.
Speaker 4: After this all happened, my dad started going down there trying to talk to Brian because my dad had a good relationship with Brian too, and Brian wouldn't look at my dad. He wouldn't talk to my dad. He would just look through him, or look beside him, or drop his head and just turn and walk away. So one day he cornered him down there and he said, Brian, he said, I don't know who did it, he said, but somebody hurt my boy. And he says, and I'm going to find out who it is.
Speaker 2: Then, Lydia said, Vicky started replacing furniture in the back bedroom where her brother had been sleeping.
Speaker 4: That weekend after this whole mysterious disappearance thing. Vicky's replacing bedroom furniture in the back bedroom. She even called me down there and told me to come look at it. After they got done with it. She said, oh, come and look at the furniture I got from my brother. And I'm thinking to myself, I'm not saying anything, but I'm thinking to myself, why are you worried about changing out furniture when your husband's missing? And then there was some stuff back there. I don't know what they was burning. I don't know if it's furniture or what. So, I don't know. Just too many red flags for me. And you know, law enforcement didn't seem to think that some of that stuff wasn't pertinent. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Lydia began to believe that her brother never made it past the front door and that something had happened to him inside the house. After a few days, the searches stopped, the case went cold, and it became just part of local legend the guy who lived there but disappeared one day, but Lydia and her father could not forget a few months after Robert's disappearance, they hired a private investigator named Donnie. Donnie eventually built up a huge case file, and one of the first mysteries that Donnie helped solve was why he believes the search dogs alerted out near the clear cut.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of things I wouldn't know if it hadn't have been for the private investigator that come in in June of twenty eleven. What I found out about the dogs the state police dogs saying they tracked him, you know, along the edge of the clearcutting out east. And the reason they tracked him along the outside edge of the yard next to the county road and out to the driveway is because that night when this all took place, or that day when this all took place, Angela was wearing my brother's house shoes and the granddaughter had on my brother's muck boots. So that's why the dogs tracked where they tracked, because those kids had my brother's shoes.
Speaker 2: Un this would seem to be a major discovery because presumably the police based their theory that Robert could have been picked up at that road edge largely on where those first dogs alerted.
Speaker 1: Did he talk to them? Did he talk to Angela and the granddaughter?
Speaker 4: Yes? And there's conflicting statements with Angie and Vicky, because Angie's statement says there's no way Robert could have been in that clear cut, and there's no way he could have made it out of the clear cut up onto the county road. And she's correct because it was wet, muddy and slick, and it's a four foot incline from coming out of the clearcut up to the county road. But yet her mother says he was in the clearcut, appeared within five minutes, and there's nowhere to go.
Speaker 2: Donnie, the PI discovered something else, something else, he says, the police missed. He said the police never asked Vicky about insurance policies that she had on her husband. Lyddy explained that Vicky had a life insurance policy on Robert and that she found out later Vicky had made some changes as a little.
Speaker 4: Bit of time goes on. He asked her, he said, did the police, state police, or the sheriff ever ask you if you had any kind of life insurance policies, burial policies or anything like that. She said no. He said, well, he said, do you have any insurance policies and she said, yeah, I have a burial policy in an accident policy. And he said, well, I'll need copies of those. He said, that way, if something comes up, I'll be able to help you out with it. She said, well, I kind of might have messed up. He said, what do you mean. She said, well, that accident policy, she said, I increased it after Robert disappeared. So what it was is it was a accident policy like you get from banks if you lose a limb or eye or something, or you get accidentally killed. So what she did was is it was that fifty thousand, and she increased it to two hundred or two hundred and fifty thousand, and then she made her son Carl the beneficiary on that policy. Bran, yes, her son, not Brian, her son. So that's a big red flag. Why would you increase a policy after your husband disappears.
Speaker 2: In August of twenty eleven, Lydia said Vicky got rid of the rest of her brother's clothes. That was also around the time when Vicky took off her wedding ring. The following year, Vicky was moving on, Vicky met George Keith. Vicky and George started dating. They wanted to get married, but there was one problem. Robert had not been legally declared dead, and Lydia still had her brother's power of attorney, which he had given her in two thousand and nine. In July twenty twelve, Vicki petitioned the court to have Robert declared dead, which they did. After Robert was legally declared dead in twenty thirteen, Vicky and George were married. I want to point out, and this is really important. Over the years, Lydia and Vicki have obviously clashed. At one point, Lydia was talking to local reporters and went to the property.
Speaker 1: Vicki told the reporters to get off her property.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm sure that Vicky has a completely different story to tell. I'm sure there's a whole other side of that story. I have reached out to her for comment and she's not replied. I've also reached out to Ryan. I would love to talk to them because I really do believe that it's only by piecing everything together we're going to be able to find out what happened to Robert Cox. Vicky has never been named as a suspect. She did pass a lie detector test, She's never been charged with anything and never to my knowledge, been a suspect in her husband's appearance. Over the years, Lydia and Vicky went to court several times. The judge mainly sided with Vicky. Vicky ended up with Robert's property, but Robert's father, Gene, was allowed to live in his house for the rest of his life. Now, I can only imagine the tension that must have been present at that property, because can you imagine living on the property with your former father in law, the father in law who suspects that you have killed his son, and having to see him every day. I cannot imagine what that must have been like for any of those people. Over the years, Lydia reached out to everyone she could think of. She called the Attorney General, she posted on social media. She called the FBI and true crime shows, including Nancy Grace, anyone who could help her get answers.
Speaker 4: And I said, and believe me, I am not here to make enemies with you guys. But it's not your loved one. It's not in your backyard, I said, it's mine. I said. When you lay your head on your pillow at night, you know where your people are. You know where your family is. I said, I know where most of mine are, living or dead. I know where they are, I said, But Robert Cox, I have no clue, and I said in Robert Cox, you got five suspects that are just running them up, and not one person has ever ever brought them in and investigated, interrogated, I said nothing.
Speaker 2: In twenty fifteen, Lydia talked to a local Fox News. This time it was a two part special. The reporter went out to the property and climbed through the clear cut and you can really see what hard and rough terrain that is and how hard it would have been for an elderly man byll these physical challenges to navigate it. At the time, Robert's father, Jean, told the reporter he thought of his missing son every single day. He said, quote, I get up at night and I go out and look he comes to me in my dreams end quote. Eventually, Lydia got a meeting with the prosecutor. She said she was underwhelmed by his response. When I was talking to Lydia about her meeting with the prosecutor, I had to ask her about something I heard her say to another media outlet. She said the prosecutor told her that unless they had a body and a confession, that they couldn't prosecute. I thought, I misheard or maybe she misspoke, because to me that was unbelievable, but she said that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 4: So we just sat there and we started asking questions of the private detective was there, and I had my state rep and then an attorney from the Attorney General's office there, and then he's like, well, there's nothing I can do for you. He says, you'll have to go over to the sheriff's office and hash it out with them.
Speaker 2: At that point, law enforcement did take action. They took Lydia and her dad in and they separately questioned them. They gave Lydia a lit detector test, which she passed. Again, I should mention Vicky did eventually take a polygraph test. Lydia said that she talked to VICKI after Vicky took the test, and that Vicky was talking about taking xanax. So Lydia believes that the xanacts that Vicky took could have influenced the test, But it's important to mention that she did pass the polygraph. The police department considers this an open investigation, so they aren't revealing any details. In twenty twenty three, a new sheriff took over, he said he was going to have an open door policy. Lydia said she has a good relationship with the new sheriff and that the new sheriff has said that he would open the case back up and be open to outside help. And I just want to say to the Yale County Sheriff's Department and to the Arkansas State Police, if you do want my help in any way, I would be more than happy to put time and work into this case if you're willing to share any part of the case file. Eventually, Vicky sold the house where she had been living with Robert, the one that he built with his bare hands. She and her new husband moved to Russellville. For years, Robert's former house sat there empty. The house was sold to someone in another state, and now it's rented out as an airbnb. Jean passed away and tragically he died, never knowing what happened to his son. After he died, Vicky's daughter, Angela and her husband moved into Jean's former home, and meanwhile, Lydia still lives in the same house near her brother's property, so she has to drive by the place where her brother disappeared and look at some of the people who she believes may have had a pardon it, or at least know what happened every single day. According to the Yale County Sheriff's Department, the case is still active. They told Fox News back in twenty fifteen. Quote we wish that we could share more information, but since this is a complex, active investigation into an incident which occurred under suspicious circumstances, we have to consider all possibilities and maintain the integrity of the investigation end quote.
Speaker 1: So what really happened to Robert Cox? I agree with Lydia.
Speaker 2: I think it's incredibly unlikely, if not impossible, that he was out walking randomly by himself and was kidnapped in broad daylight completely disappeared in a five minute space of time. Over the years, Lydia's mind has gone to dark places. She's had to consider every single possibility. She's wondered about Robert's physical deterioration, how fast it all happened. She wondered if that was a coincidence, or could her brother have been poisoned. Lydia told The Missing Podcast she did wonder at one point about Vicky's habit of giving her brother in sheer milkshakes, and when Vicky gave him the shakes, Lydia said she would put a lot of extra chocolate syrup.
Speaker 1: In the drinks.
Speaker 2: She said when she made Robert shakes, he never needed that extra chocolate, so she kind of wondered why Vicky did that. Then again, Lydia was the one making a lot of Robert's food, and even before the physical deterioration, he was clearly having issues physical and psychological. There's one more area that Lydia believes needs to be searched more thoroughly. When Vicky sold the property, she kept the three acre patch of land with Jean's house on it in the family. Lydia wonders if her brother is somewhere on that property, somewhere close to home. To this day, she believes he never made it off of that property alive.
Speaker 1: I'm Catherine Townsend.
Speaker 2: This is Helen Gone Murder Line. Helen Gone Murder Line is a production of School of Humans and iHeart Podcasts. It's written and narrated by me Catherine Townsend and produced by Gabby Watts. Music contributed by Ben sale And this episode was scored and mixed by Miranda Hawkins. Executive producers are Virginia Prescott, Brandon Barr, and L. C.
Speaker 1: Crowley. If you have a case you'd.
Speaker 2: Like me and my team to look into, you can reach out to us at our Helen Gone Murder line at six seven eight seven four four six one four five. That's six seven eight seven four four six ' one four five. Please subscribe and leave us a review wherever you listen to your podcast, School of Humans