Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where everyone at this party is taking the expected number of shots and we're not talking about the handy alcohol impairment chart Leslie Noe keeps in her wallet swings, not swigs. It's Friday, May second, and on today's show, we're concluding our Iheartwomen's Sports Week with an episode of Welcome to the Party with Tisha Allan. Tisha joined us as a guest on this show a few months ago and taught us so much about the world of golf and the LPGA. But for those of you who missed that episode, we asked Tisha to introduce herself and her podcast for new listeners.
Speaker 2: Here's what she had to say.
Speaker 3: What's going on, friends, I'm Tisha Allen, former professional golfer now turned creator, speaker, and your host of Welcome to the Party, and I mean par dash tea. This pod is all about celebrating badass women in golf, and I'm not just talking about LPGA pros, but I'm also talking about entertainers, actresses, and game changers who just love the game, from those grinding for their tour card to retired legends and women working behind the scenes every guest touches golf in a unique and powerful way. Whether you're a scratch golfer or you don't know what par means, this party is for you.
Speaker 1: Today you'll hear Tisha's interview from March with former player Chyanne Woods to get to prep. Here's a little preview of what to expect.
Speaker 3: This episode is one of my favorites. I got to sit down with my friend Cheyenne Woods, Yes that Woods. She's a former professional golfer, trailblazer, and now a proud mama. She opens up about her journey through the LPGA, the pressure of carrying a legendary last name, and how her grandfather, Tiger's Dad, was the one who first put a club in her hands. Now, as a mom of two and hosts of her show Tea to Dream, she's using her voice to uplift others in the game. This episode is powerful, personal and will absolutely pull on your heart strings. I know I had to hold back my tears, so that being said, I can't wait for y'all to tap in and join the party, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Selice's that episode of Welcome to the Party with Tisha Allen is coming.
Speaker 2: Up right after this.
Speaker 4: I feel like the very first time I I definitely blacked out when I played.
Speaker 2: I'll come Great because I thought you had blacked out.
Speaker 4: So that's a totally normal emotion. Okay, but no, I mean everyone's so different. I always try to focus on like an my song that I could play in my head. I talked right, Caddy, and just try to get through the first few holes and just survive.
Speaker 3: I am so pumped for today's guest for all the reasons. She's an absolute boss on and off the golf course. And I know you're gonna know this name. She's a golf star and amazing mom and someone was just an incredible story. She crushed it at Wake Forest, where she was a two time All American and conference champion, and not only that, she got inducted into.
Speaker 2: Their Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: No big deal, right, And then from there she took her talents to the pro stage, from the LED to LPGA Tour, winning the twenty fourteen Vulvic RICB Ladies Masters and making history only the sixth black woman to compete on the LPGA Tour. In twenty twenty two, she stepped away from competitive golf to welcome her first child and just a year later, she became a mom of two. Now she's bringing her passion for the game in a whole new way, posting Tea to Dream on Golf Pass where she's shining a light on golfers using their influence to make a difference. Now, y'all, if this pod doesn't pull on your heartstrings and make you become an even bigger fan, I really don't know what more to tell you. You just have to trust me and listen to the very end. She's stunning, inspiring, and so much more. Without further ado, please welcome Cheyenne Woods to the party. Cheyenne Welcome to the party. We're so excited to have you and I really appreciate you being here in the studio. Well, we're gonna get started in a fun way. We like to have a little four play in the beginning, so we have a fun rapid fire questions.
Speaker 2: Of this or that? Okay? Are you ready? I sure hope so? Okay golf or baseball golf for sure? Okay?
Speaker 3: North Carolina or Arizona?
Speaker 2: Oh, Arizona?
Speaker 3: Okay, love it? Which, by the way, North Carolina is where she went to school. Yes, as place in the heart. Yes, Okay, our ACV Royal Pines Resorts in Australia or Seven Canyons in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Oh, Royal Pines, Yes, okay, that's where she won.
Speaker 3: That is where she won. We love it. Okay. What's harder? Ten years playing professionally or being a mom of two under two?
Speaker 2: A mom of two under two challenge?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, golfers, you know, get a breeze.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, play Augusta National and pouring rain or Saint Andrew's in forty mile per hour winds.
Speaker 2: Oh I think the proper way to play St. Andrews is in the wind. I would totally do that. Okay, we're playing Augusta in the rain.
Speaker 3: Would you rather your kids grow up to be a professional golfer or MLB star MM or softball or softball?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true with our little baby girl. Oh that's really hard. I would say baseball. Really like the fact that when I go watch I don't have to walk. That is a good point, and I can be indoors at times and sit down.
Speaker 2: And baseball they don't play in the rain a lot, So I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to go with the baseball. Okay, baseball, it is all right. Last rapid fire question caddy for Tiger at the Masters or have him caddy for you at an LPGA event the Masters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know him down, although I would.
Speaker 4: Be so nervous caddie and not want to screw up. But that is just something you can't you can't miss. Yeah, you can't miss that type of mop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be like the biggest crowd probably humanly possible, to have you on the bag for him at the Masters, that would be that would be fun. All right, So let's actually get started and get into your career and how you began golf. You actually started golf at a very young age, like three years old.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I do, honestly, I don't even remember how old I was, but golf was always around, right.
Speaker 2: Neither of my parents played golf. I have two older brothers. They never played.
Speaker 4: But my grandpa, Earl Woods is the one who got me into it, and at the time I got started, was maybe just turning pro in his early nineties. I was watching him. I was in a stroller when he played as an amateur.
Speaker 2: Out here. I'm totally blanking.
Speaker 4: That's okay, that's again. What's the course they played the Genesis side? Well, Riviera at Riviera, Yes, when you played as an amateur. So I was there as a baby. So it was just always around in my life. And I started playing in my grandpa's garage with an old cutdown club of Tigers. And I grew up in Arizona. My grandpa and Tiger lived in California. We'd always come out to visit summer vacations, and it just was something. I think I was growing up at the right age as a lot of us were now in our thirties, where Tiger was everywhere on TV. He changed the game, and as a five six seven year old watching him, it was just the coolest thing ever.
Speaker 2: And I just wanted to be like him. Yeah, and so that's how I got into golf.
Speaker 4: It just spurred this excitement about golf in me that that's how I saw my life being of playing on tour.
Speaker 2: That's so wild.
Speaker 3: So what age for you when you were like, yeah, I want to do this, like I want to be a pro.
Speaker 4: Ever since I can remember, really, yeah, honestly, and again, I think it's just seeing it and having that connection to Tiger.
Speaker 2: I was like, it just was the coolest thing.
Speaker 4: And I think also growing up a girl in the sport, and I had two older brothers. I always had the mindset of what they can do I can do and trying to keep up with them. And I loved surprising people as a young girl and saying I play golf and yeah, I'm good at it.
Speaker 2: So I just always saw golf in my life.
Speaker 4: In that way that that was the career I wanted, that was the path I wanted to take. Luckily, my grandfather also just instilled a lot of belief in myself.
Speaker 2: I love from at a young age. I mean I was probably nine or ten years old.
Speaker 4: I remember sitting in his kitchen and he's making me breakfast and he told me like that he could see me.
Speaker 2: Being on tour, that he believed in me.
Speaker 4: And one of my favorite stories about my grandpa is he used to work for IMG and he was a scout to scout like junior golfers and potential, you know, up and coming players. And when I was sitting in his kitchen on that day, he told me that when I was like four or five years old, he wrote an official report about me and he submitted it officially into IMG.
Speaker 2: And I was like, wow, what did you write?
Speaker 4: And he goes I'm not going to tell you what I wrote, but one day when you turn pro, IMG will come and recruit you and they'll bring the letter and you can read it then. So when I graduated from Wake Forest, my grandfather had passed while I was in high school, so this was a couple of years after and I graduated, I wanted to turn pro.
Speaker 2: IMG came and they brought the letter and I got to read it for the first time.
Speaker 4: I literally goose And it was literally nineteen ninety three, I think, so I was three or four years old. Wow, And he wrote what he saw in me. He wrote that he could see me play on tour, the skills that he could see in me, And those are the types of things that I tell people make a difference when you have someone in your corner that believes in you and then you start to believe it too. That is what always propelled me in my career, in my life with golf, Like my grandpa could see it when I was three or four years old, like I want to do it for him. I want to do it because I believe it too. And so that was a huge part of my golf life of just having him as like that foundation in that rock of like believing in me and what I.
Speaker 2: Can do in the game of golf.
Speaker 3: So what was your reaction in opening that letter, Like, did you even remember it in that moment that he had given you that? Yeah, it was always in the back of my mind. I always remember that letter. I always thought.
Speaker 2: What did he write? What did he think?
Speaker 4: And so when they did bring it, it was like a full circle moment.
Speaker 2: It felt unreal, honestly to see.
Speaker 3: Literally tear up right now thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I can't even imagine.
Speaker 4: And it's in his handwriting, you know, it's like this beautiful curse of and just to read his words, especially after he had passed. And yeah, he was the one who got me started. He was the one who taught me what I knew about golf. So he was the biggest figure in my life when it came to golf and what I wanted to do in the sport.
Speaker 2: I was able to sit there and see it.
Speaker 4: It was just like, this is what I've been waiting for and it just meant so much. So I have it framed in our house and it's just one of those really special moments that I will never forget.
Speaker 3: That's so beautiful. You're gonna have to send me a picture you've framed at your house. Okay, so you talked a little bit about Wake Forest. You just got inducted into the Hall of Fame. Congratulation.
Speaker 5: Thanks you.
Speaker 3: What does that honor mean to you?
Speaker 4: It means a lot, and it feels surreal because Wake Forest has such a deep, deep history in every sport. I mean it's a small school, but they have such depth and the athletes that they've produced while they be.
Speaker 2: Basketball, golf, soccer.
Speaker 4: So now to be among the names of the Hall of Fame inductees is just an honor. Growing up on the West Coast, I didn't know a lot about Wake Forest other than like Tim Duncan and Chris Paul and of course mister Palmer.
Speaker 2: To now be etched in history is really special.
Speaker 4: And during my speech at the induction, I spoke about how I wasn't always the best golf and I really had to work my way up, and so to be able to work my way through Wake improve my game, work my way through the team and up in the rankings really meant a lot to me.
Speaker 3: To be able to accomplish that. What made you commit to that school?
Speaker 2: Honestly, growing up in Arizona.
Speaker 4: I just was sick and tired of being there, like it is boring.
Speaker 2: So I was like, I want to just try somewhere new. In North Carolina. It was very new. It was a culture shock.
Speaker 4: But I always tell people it was the best thing that ever happened to me, especially golf wise.
Speaker 2: I was forced.
Speaker 4: To learn how to live on my own away from my family, play in weather that is not just perfect at all times, and play different.
Speaker 2: Golf courses too, which was such a test.
Speaker 4: So I always say it was the best thing for my career and just for me, kind of like growing up and learning again on that path of trying to become professional.
Speaker 3: Clearly, you know, you have a really big name in your family what's the last name? And a lot of attention was on you throughout your career, college golf, professional golf. What was that like for you building a name for yourself?
Speaker 2: It was difficult, you know.
Speaker 4: Growing up I loved watching Tiger play, and he was the biggest inspiration for me to become professional golfer or even a play golf in general.
Speaker 2: So I somewhat I am a fan and I love watching him play.
Speaker 4: But then coming up and being a woods and having the extra attention or the expectations whatever that might be was difficult. I mean, even to this day, I am still referred to as his niece, which is totally fine because I get it. But when you are young and trying to not only prove yourself to the world, but prove yourself to yourself, yes, it can be difficult when you're constantly reminded of the other person rather than yourself and what you've accomplished. So I really had to learn how to have that self love, that self worth of I.
Speaker 2: Worked to get here. I deserve to be here.
Speaker 4: Despite what my name is, and I think it made me a stronger person and a stronger player of just believing and who I am. But it definitely was difficult, and I had to just embrace it because it's not something that was ever going.
Speaker 3: To leave right absolutely, like I was thinking about actually on the drive here, and I just feel very empathetic to what that feeling and pressure could be like to have someone in your life that's essentially setting the bar right and the pressures that you could face. And I feel like you've done it with so much grace, and I think from the outside looking in I don't think you could really tell that it may have been difficult or that you know, it was a lot of pressure. So I think you did a phenomenal job, like making a name for yourself.
Speaker 2: You know, thank you. I appreciate that. I mean, I try to do what I could.
Speaker 4: I mean, I love golf for my own reasons, and I never wanted to be the next Tiger Woods, sure, but you know, I just grew up wanting to see how far I can take it, and I love that challenge. And to at least have the representation of Woods on the women's side means a lot to me. And to be a woman of color in golf and kind of have that representation again.
Speaker 2: Is just really powerful. So I try to do what I could to give back.
Speaker 4: To the game, and you know, the Woods name definitely helps elevate whatever I do, which I think is definitely a privilege.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, has Tiger given you any advice about your career and of sell you mind sharing, I would.
Speaker 4: Say the biggest thing is he always has just said to have fun. And I think the biggest advice I've ever had from him is just me watching what he does fair and whether it be on TV or the few times I've been able to kind of watch him practice in person, I've always said he's the hardest working person I've ever seen in my life. Yeah, in every aspect, and he's so intelligent, he's so hard working, he's just so intense that that is definitely what I've learned most from him is just by observing seeing where he came from and how far he's taken it, what he's gone through.
Speaker 2: It's just really really inspirational.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So you went on to play professionally, like basically a decade right playing pro LED, which is a Ladies's European Tour LPGA. What is your favorite memory of playing on tour?
Speaker 2: My favorite memories are definitely playing on European Tour.
Speaker 3: Really Okay, why is that?
Speaker 2: It just was such a new experience for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it wasn't anything I had expected myself to do, And I think that's what makes it really special too. You know, I graduated from WIG and you know, in our minds we always think, Okay, I'm gonna go boom boom boom, this is how I.
Speaker 2: Get on tour.
Speaker 4: Sure, So I went to Q school, didn't make it through. I didn't even get Epson Tour status. I didn't make the cut at first stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was confused, like where do I go from here?
Speaker 4: And so my agent suggested, you know, European Tour is an option, and the thought of going to Morocco and for the qualifiers and potentially playing in Europe, and you know, I it was twenty one, fresh out of college. I had never really traveled like that before. All of this was so new to me, so you know, it was a huge leap. It felt like to go over there and just kind of get this experience of the unknown. But it was so fun. The girls there were amazing. Every country you go to you learn so much about the culture. Every course is so different. It was the best thing for my professional career. I then played.
Speaker 2: I always had status, but I played their full.
Speaker 4: Time for like I don't know, two or three years, and then I came back and I was able to earn LPGA Tour status.
Speaker 2: But it was just the best learning experience.
Speaker 3: So, talking about professional golf, what's something that you wish that maybe like the audience or outside voices understood more about, especially women's professional golf.
Speaker 4: There's a lot and I think the biggest thing that I've always tried to advocate for women's golf is obviously how talented we are. Yeah, and you hear it all the time, but you really don't. I feel like you don't understan it till you see it, whether it be the talent or how personal the players are, or how close you can get to actually enjoying the golf while you're out watching an LPGA event.
Speaker 2: It's such a different.
Speaker 4: Experience than going to maybe a PGA Tour event or a men's event. So I always try to tell people how friendly the women's game is and how welcoming it is. I always try to make it a point when I was playing to interact with fans or meet with the juniors and interact with them, because I do remember being the girl out there behind the ropes and trying to get an autograph or getting that golf ball, and it's the best feeling in the world. But I feel like in the women's game, you definitely get that experience a lot more.
Speaker 2: And then obviously the.
Speaker 4: Talent is just amazing, and you see these girls make it look so easy. My husband's played in a couple LPGA pro ams and he still can't believe how good the girls are. I mean, he hits it like three point fifty, He hits it far, and these girls are kicking his butt and he can't believe how easy they're making it look. And I think it's a testament to how deep the talent is, right, how just amazing they are.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm a huge advocate for the women's game, and I may be butchering this stat but I believe that, Like they said that on the LPGA Tour, say, like a woman's six iron and green and regulation average is comparable to like the man's nine iron, and it's something of that nature. And it's like the distances are actually so far in correlation for women compared to men, Like they have a lot more shorter irons and compared to women. And I'm like, you guys don't realize how hard is to get a hybrid next to the pin, a five iron next to the pin.
Speaker 2: Those are like the clubs that I hate when you're hitting nine irons and wedges all day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, yeah, you can stick a wedge, spin it back all day, but like, yeah, ask me to hit a three wood next to the pin on like an unreasonably long part four like, you guys don't understand how hard that is. If you ask the men to do it, you'll be seeing a lot more short game and a lot more wild shot.
Speaker 4: And I've always told people too, I mean, when you see the men's game, it definitely does play shorter. Yeah, and almost every round they have reachable part fives or reachable part four. And on the women's side, I always said, so rare. Maybe if you are one of the longer hitters, yes you have maybe a reachable part five, but it was so rare when you were playing, when I was playing on tour to truly have those whole where you can be aggressive and go for it or to take advantage of hitting one in two or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we'll work on that. We can talk about that all day. So I wanted to ask your opinion on the LPGA as an organization. I feel like a lot has grown. What do you feel like they're doing right and what do you feel like maybe like maybe we can bring a little more attention to this.
Speaker 4: There's been so many changes in the LPGA, and it's been exciting for me the last couple of years. I've been on the board for LPGA Foundation, which is behind the scenes of their charities and girls programs.
Speaker 2: But it's definitely give me an inside.
Speaker 4: Look of what the LPGA is doing and how awesome you know they're being able to provide all these programs for girls and amateurs. So I absolutely love that. I grew up in the LPGA Girls Golf Program.
Speaker 2: I started when I was like five or six years old. I was the very first original.
Speaker 4: Sandy Leboa started it in Scottsdale, Arizona, and my coach was her husband. So I got started in that program and to be able to see it grow into what it is today, I think the LPGA has done so much in giving back to the game and also the communities. Their reach is not just within the US, but also so global, and I think that's been so cool to see. And you're seeing a lot of Girls Golf alumni now on tour, which I think goes to show how they are able to give back to the game and also support them throughout their careers.
Speaker 2: So I think the LPGA is doing such a good job of that.
Speaker 4: Obviously, playing on tour has gotten so much better in terms of money, yeah, yeah, and supports growing. We love golf courses that we play are just amazing. So I think that's been really great in terms of what they can do better.
Speaker 2: Jeez, that's a tough question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean every organization can use him improvement, right, Like look at the PGA tour.
Speaker 2: What's happening you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I love if the LPG is elevating their players more. I think that's all the stories issue, more stories. There's so many great personalities. I know they've invested in trying to elevate their players individually in showcasing those stories, and I think that's been really great, just to bring more eyes on individual players like you see Charlie.
Speaker 2: Hole out there, you see Lydia, you see.
Speaker 4: All these personalities that are just so unique and so special that a lot of the men are able to showcase a bit more, like even with the Netflix show, like hellay our household names, and it makes a big difference when it comes to them trying to sell the tour or sell sponsorships to have that connection with fans and players.
Speaker 2: So I think if they can continue to do that more, it would definitely help.
Speaker 3: I love that. I completely agree. So as we know right now, there is at this moment. Maybe when the pod comes out, will know there is no commissioner at this moment. If you were the commissioner, what is something that you would instill no rules, no restrictions on moneytach what is something that you would instill right now to help continue to support the girls.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I'm thinking any way to help make.
Speaker 4: The travel easier for the girls, whether that's such a good point, something they're able to provide wellness wise, or even hotel sponsorship. That's really hard for players, whether you're at the top or you're just trying to keep your car like it gets expensive. And I always say the lifestyle of playing on tour is one of the most difficult things of traveling.
Speaker 2: Day in and day out, all around.
Speaker 4: Too, all years, cross timelines and timelines, yeah, time zone, cross time zones, and just globally. So if there was something that the tour could do in order to support them a little bit better travel wise, I think that would be really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with that. When you make it onto the PGA tour, new players are essentially loaned nearly half a million dollars to go and support themselves, and the girls are given zero. And I just can't. I mean, but there's so many events now where like Miszoo Ho and like even the Asia Swing where like everything is covered and like the girls are like royalty. So we just need to get all the events to be like yeah, right.
Speaker 4: And even the stipends that they've been able to provide a few misses, they've been able to provide stipends because I mean when people think of professional golf and they see the PGA Tour, they see the private jets and all these glamorous life things in the front, it's assumed that the women you know, have that as well, and it's just not the case. And so it's definitely a reality check, I think even as a player to come in and you're like, wait, I have to pay for this whole list of things, and how do I get a sponsor? You know, sponsorships are hard to come by as well, so definitely a little bit more difficult on the women's side.
Speaker 3: So can you break that down. Let's say take us back to when you were playing one week, what are expenses like, what are you covering for yourself and your team?
Speaker 2: I mean you you.
Speaker 4: Basically cover everything so flight you don't have to pay for your caddy swipe, but you have to pay for your caddies weekly fee in addition to whatever percentage if you make the cut. When I was playing, I think caddy was anywhere between twelve hundred.
Speaker 2: And fifteen hundred or one week for one week.
Speaker 4: Okay, So hotel unless you do a host family, which a lot of players do, so you can kind of cut that expense.
Speaker 2: Food, rental car. They do sometimes have like courtesy cars that you.
Speaker 4: Could use, but it's not as flexible, I guess, right. So it definitely maybe about five grand. I usually budgeted for per week's entry feet do we say entry feet? Oh?
Speaker 2: And entry feeth?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had to pay for the tournaments. Two guys don't forget, so.
Speaker 2: It definitely adds up.
Speaker 4: And you're thinking, you're playing twenty five thirty events, right, it gets expensive.
Speaker 3: Right, right? So we had to make more than just the cut to survive, right, Yes?
Speaker 5: Crazy?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: So I wanted to transition into motherhood too, beautiful children, and so what what was that transition like for me? Taking kind of like a step aside from professional golf and becoming a mother.
Speaker 4: It was very different. I played golf my whole life, and I always wanted to be a mom. I always knew I wanted to be a mom, and we had our son in twenty twenty two. I competed up until I think I was like five months pregnant, but nobody knew I was pregnant at the time, and then I haven't competed since we had our son. And I always knew I didn't want to play professional golf and be a mom. I didn't want to travel and have my kids on the road. And at the time when we had our son, my husband was still playing baseball, Okay, so we were trying to be with him as much as we could and travel as well, So it was hard to think about doing golf and that at the same time with having a family. But definitely taking a step aside from professional golf was refreshing.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like it.
Speaker 4: I think I was ready, yeah, And it just was nice to see a different side of life, right.
Speaker 2: I think as a professional golfer you get so just self.
Speaker 4: You're always just focused on self, right, And it was I used to have something to take my focus off of just me, me, me and think about this beautiful baby and my husband and our family.
Speaker 2: So it was definitely a breath of fresh air.
Speaker 3: Now, speaking of your daughter, how is your baby girl doing good? She's good?
Speaker 2: My mind sharing so well, yea.
Speaker 4: So Maya has had like not the toughest journey, but it's been difficult and it has not been anything that we ever expected and nothing that I ever heard people talking about.
Speaker 3: I didn't either until I saw your poems.
Speaker 2: And so if people, you know, want more information.
Speaker 4: Our daughter was born like full term, totally fine, but she had a lot of feeding difficulties. She had really bad acid reflux where she was throwing up NonStop, and she wouldn't take a bottle, pacifier or nothing, and she wouldn't have long enough feats, and so she wasn't gaining weight. So she was submitted admitted to the hospital's failure to thrive, which was the absolute worst feeling ever as a mom, because you feel like you failed as well.
Speaker 2: And I still didn't know what was happening.
Speaker 4: She's throwing up, she's not gaining weight, and I literally can't do anything. So we've did all the tests possible, all of the things, and she ended up being a tube fed baby. She still is tube fed through a gtube, but she's not throwing up.
Speaker 2: Anymore, which is did great good.
Speaker 4: And she also had like a breathing condition she had to have a surgery on, which was at the end of the day not allowing her to feed, which we didn't know.
Speaker 2: But she's doing better, which is great.
Speaker 4: It's honestly such a long story, so I don't know how to cut it down, but it's just been such a journey of just appreciation and gratitude for all of the little things, because you hear about women having babies and babies growing up all the time, but there are so many things that can go wrong, or so many health conditions that could happen, and I'm just so grateful that although she's still gtube fed, she is healthy and she is happy and thriving, and it's just the best feeling in the world because you appreciate all of the little moments and all the little things right after going through difficult times.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm so happy that she is growing stronger every single day. I'm sure like any stressful moment you had in your professional golf career is like f that, like this is my everything, Like your child now is your life?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And again it just gives you perspective.
Speaker 4: I mean when we were going through that with mya it was probably like eight months of it where wow, literally every day we couldn't leave the house because she would throw up fifteen to twenty times a day.
Speaker 2: I couldn't take her anywhere.
Speaker 4: And it just gives you perspective of just what is important. And I think again just having kids in general, of being able to step back and look at the big picture of what is important in life. And I do love golf and I love to compete, right, but in this stage of my life, it's just so nice to be able to have these moments with my kids and to raise them and to be there for all the little moments and for when they need me.
Speaker 3: So you mentioned how you love competing. Is there any shot that we will see Syanne Woods compete again, qualify anything?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think so. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: I mean, honestly, I missed the competition and it's so hard to replicate.
Speaker 2: I love competing.
Speaker 4: I've always been a competitive person in everything that I do, and I want to be able to have my kids see me play one day.
Speaker 2: So I would say maybe in the next couple of years i'd play.
Speaker 4: I would love to qualify for the US open again and play in that. And have you know our kids following us along. Maybe my husband can, Caddie, I'll put them to work.
Speaker 3: I love that. Okay, speaking of husband, So Chyanne's husband is Aaron Hicks, and he is a professional baseball player. And I actually played golf with him, oh pre pandemic and the media day era, and I was actually so surprised at how good at golf he was, especially for a baseball player, because typically baseball player just like slice the shit out of it, and he was like striping it. And I wanted to hear how you two met. I know it was kind of something similar to what we're doing now, but I'm gonna let you tell the story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Erin and I have been married for three years now, and we met during the pandemic or just before the pandemic. I used to have a podcast with Doug Smith called Bertie's not Bs, and we were record in Phoenix, Arizona, and Aaron and Doug were friends, and so Doug invited him on the podcast and we did just a little episode like just getting to know Aaron and his relationship with golf, and so it was awesome just to get to know him a little bit, and that was my first time meeting him. During the pandemic, both of our seasons got shut down, so I was, I think in Florida. I was at the Players actually at the time, and so during the pandemic when we were both home, we just started playing golf together and that's kind of how it just sparked this friendship.
Speaker 2: And then we got to know each other more. It was like, he's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like him, and so that's kind of where it all started.
Speaker 3: I love that. So it wasn't like instance sparks in the podcast room. It was more just like a slow burn hang out, play a lot of golf together, and then you're like, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's funny because I always said I would never date a golfer, and technically he's not a golfer, right, but he plays a lot of golf, right, And I actually love it because we can appreciate the same love of golf and we can enjoy it with our.
Speaker 2: Families now too.
Speaker 4: And I think that the pandemic really gave us a lot of quality time that we never would have had otherwise, especially him being a baseball player, I was playing golf full time. Our worlds were literally like that, just like colliding and just would never have cross paths. So I'm grateful for, you know, the time that we were able to have. And then, like you said, slow burn of just yeah, you know, we fell in love and basically through the game of golf.
Speaker 3: Right, So in this case, it was actually a turn on that he was that he plays golf.
Speaker 2: Usually, I feel like for golfers, it's like no turn off.
Speaker 3: Please don't please, don't love golf too much, don't want to be on the course. So have you taught him much and like kind of helped him out with this game. I'm trying to work on a short game, okay. Yeah, he's definitely a.
Speaker 4: Power player, and he loves his sixty degree whch yeah, which a lot of people do. And I'm trying to just teach him about bump and run, yeah, and different shots that he can hit, a different clubs that he has other than his low budge.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So definitely trying to balance out his game a little bit.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love that now your little boy he plays both baseball and golf. Yeah, if you could choose which, We're not going to force our kids, you know, into anything, but if you could control it, you so you would want him to play baseball.
Speaker 4: I think baseball, Aaron says, golf, So we'll kind of see what happens there. But Cameron will be three next month, so he is just full toddler boy, loving absolutely every sport possible, but definitely attached to a club and a bat at all times.
Speaker 2: It's so cute.
Speaker 4: And the thing that frustrates me most is that now that I'm post LPGA Tour career, right, he mainly sees his dad playing golf and he thinks Dad is the golfer and I think related is dad. So that's why I'm thinking I need to get back out and show him.
Speaker 2: Who the real golfer is in the house.
Speaker 3: Do you play much anymore?
Speaker 2: Not as much as I want to.
Speaker 4: Okay, No, I'm finally starting to get back out and hit balls and like playing a couple of things here and there.
Speaker 2: But I'm trying to get back out more.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: One thing that I do love about, like everything that I've seen you share, is that you're huge about making golf more accessible and so how do you feel like golf is heading right now? Do you feel like we're heading in the right direction, making.
Speaker 4: More Absolutely, Yeah, it's been so exciting to see how far golf has come, honestly, just since the pandemic.
Speaker 2: In the last five years.
Speaker 4: Sure, I remember when I was playing, that was always something I advocated, was access to golf, getting everybody out there, showing them that golf is for them.
Speaker 2: You don't have to be a country club, button up player.
Speaker 4: Sure, places like Top Golf have really opened up the world to what golf can be and that it can be fun, it can be for everybody.
Speaker 2: So I love where golf is headed.
Speaker 4: And even just the influencer world of making golf relatable and YouTube golf, I think is so great for the game.
Speaker 2: What is it the good good guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when I saw them come out to Scottsdale and all the people that came out to the event, and they're not saying first sour fans, you know, these are just like your everyday people, And I think that's great for the game of golf. So it's exciting, and I am honestly mind blown with how far art it's coming, like five years, but I think it's great.
Speaker 2: For the game.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. What do you think golf maybe needs more of to continue that trajectory.
Speaker 4: I think, just continued support of that everyday person who wants to get into golf. For sure, you know, it's nice to have the facilities like top Golf or like the YouTube people that you can watch. But I think still maybe with instruction wise of making golf more accessible or a little bit more affordable is a big thing, because it's one thing to go out and like, okay, get a club and hit some balls, but it takes a little bit of teaching to really understand and know how to swing the club. So maybe just a little bit more support in programs to kind of get this new fan base able to learn how to play golf.
Speaker 3: We just need a teaching course from Cheyenne Woods, you know, or we do or we could do it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one or the other.
Speaker 1: Go.
Speaker 3: So switching gears a little bit because this was really big news to the golf world a few weeks ago. We understand that you lost your grandmother, Tilda Woods, and I just wanted to do a check in, how's the family, how are you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really sad to see that, honestly sudden.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we had just seen her, you know, at TGL and just beaming with pride, which I think, honestly looking back, is the best thing to be able to have her at those moments for Tiger to support. You know, I didn't get to spend as much time with Tita as I did with my grandfather, but she was just so special and she This probably sounds silly, but she's why I loved Tigh.
Speaker 2: Food, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: But of course obsessed with Tai food because I remember growing up, you know.
Speaker 2: She would cook ty food or yea. She would show us how to cook Tay food.
Speaker 4: So it definitely is so sad, but I'm so grateful that she was able to have those special moments with Tiger and Charlie and watch them at TGL and she definitely won't be missed.
Speaker 3: You know, I actually met her when I was I think like twelve years old. It was for a TGR Foundation event and I somehow got into it through like SEPGA or one of those millions of golf or gazations. And funny enough, I didn't realize I was sitting next to your grandmother and I was just waiting for my mom at the restroom and we were in the facility and she was like eating like it looked like country club snacks. And she looks at me and she just goes and she like gestures like do I want it? And I'm like okay, and I grabbed a pretzel. Do you play golf?
Speaker 2: I said yes?
Speaker 3: And she said are you here for the clinic? I said yes, and she goes practice hard, Oh I will yeah, And I thought it was like yes, And then my dad was like, do you know who that was? I was like, oh my gosh, I mean yeah, no big deal. But no, I love that story and we love that you love Thai food of course. Yeah, yes, okay, switching gears back to like a little more of a lighter not. I saw that you recently launched a show on golf Pass, Tita Dreams. Can you tell everybody about it?
Speaker 4: It's really exciting, honestly, So, Tita Dream is on golf Pass Dreaming right now.
Speaker 2: We have two episodes out.
Speaker 4: You love it, and the basis of the show is showcasing professional golfers who are associated with found and the work that they do to give back to their charity and to the community. We all know golf is so philanthropic, but we don't always get to see behind the scenes of how these professional golfers.
Speaker 2: Are using their platforms to give back.
Speaker 4: When I was playing, it was always a big part of my traveling and my career of trying to give back to the communities or connect with the local girls. So to be able to see what these golfers are, you know, obviously not only just playing at the highest level possible, but then giving so much back to their communities and giving back to their foundations. So we've focused on Ryan Palmer and not a big a so far this year, and it's just been really special to be a part of and see how golf cannot only change obviously the golfers' lives and they're playing and doing these glamorous things, but changing the lives of kids and people within their communities. So it's on golf Fast now if people want to check it out. I think the episode is free to stream right now if you want to see.
Speaker 2: And we're going to film a bit more this season as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, we will be on the lookout for sure. We'll just drop the link. You guys, don't worry. So what's next for Cheyenne Woods in general? I know that I feel like you do a lot more media now and traveling to tournaments and whatnot.
Speaker 4: You have the next stop, Yeah, definitely more filming with Golf Bass for sure, and focusing on that show and then maybe a couple of other fun things in the golf world. Talking a little bit about podcast as well.
Speaker 2: So I love it. It could be potentially coming up soon.
Speaker 3: Would you be bringing it back or would you just be like starting a brand starting new?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Not BS. Was so fun to do with you and we learned so much, but that is rip.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, Doug and I are so really close, actually, that's what he was telling me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. If you guys don't know who Doug is, he is now like a commentator on Golf Channel. I was actually just with him a few days ago and he was commentating me playing, which was kind of weird and kind of weld, and he was always telling me, he's like, you should get shy on the pod. I'm like, bro, help me out, dude. And so I love that you guys are close.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's funny because he lives like twenty minutes from us and his son is about the same age as ours, so perfect sons are best friends. And I think the next couple of years are going to be like golf rivals slash best friends.
Speaker 2: So stay tuned. We love a good story. We love it all right.
Speaker 3: So we are winding down now, but we have to end with a fun little game.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Do you know the game f kill Mary?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, it's that's a little dramatic, but.
Speaker 5: Words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's called travel cut like miss the Cut Mary. Okay, okay, those are your three options. These are amongst your LPGA peers. Yes, yes, okay, are you ready?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Lexi Thompson, Danielle Kang, Brooke Henderson.
Speaker 2: My gosh, wait, this is the kind of game that it is no hard feelings.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I'm gonna say travel Danielle Kang. Okay, she is so fun and I always loved playing with her.
Speaker 2: You have Hanbrook.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna cut Lexi because she is technically partially retired, that is true, so she kind of cut herself.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, at a point.
Speaker 4: And then I would marry Brooke. I love playing with Brooke and her sister.
Speaker 2: I love that, and her game is just amazing. It is amazing. Yeah, and I feel like her driver just looks so long for her, but she crushes.
Speaker 3: It every time.
Speaker 2: She makes it look so easy.
Speaker 3: Okay, last one, Michelle Wee West, Brittany Lindscombe, Stacy Lewis.
Speaker 2: I think I would travel again with Michelle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know shep sure, I has all the good food recommendations, She's got the babies that we could do little play dates again. Stacy, I think I would marry Stacey. Wow, she's I mean a legend. Yeah, she's an icon in the game. And then Brittany. This is really brutal. I would I guess I'd have to cut Brittany. No hard feelings, guys, it's just the game. There is no one like send some messages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no offense.
Speaker 3: I love it. That is the end of the game. And final question. Where can listeners follow you and see everything that's going on.
Speaker 4: I'm on Instagram at Cheyenne Underscore Woods and Twitter as well, but not so much active on there, but Instagram for sure. Stay updated again on the golf past show for sure. Just all of our family fun that we do.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the party with Taisha Allen is an Iheartwoman's Sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports Entertainment. I'm your host. Tisha Allen. Christina Everett is our executive producer, and Jennifer Bassett is our producer. Sound mixing and mastering by Mary Doo. Special thanks to Jesse Katz at iHeart and to Jess McCallister and the teams at GERSH and Catalyst nine. Listen to Welcome to the Party with Tisha Allen on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.