Speaker 1: Really now, Really, really.
Speaker 2: Now really Hello and welcome to this episode of Really No Really with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden. The number one podcast in America would really enjoy this podcast if they even knew it existed. On today's episode, you'll learn about some of the most offbeat and dangerous jobs in the world from the people who actually do them, and what makes anyone take those jobs. You'll also learn why would peckers peck, if it's possible to hold an alligator's mouth open, and what a dangus is. Plus what is Jason's favorite Seinfeld bit and what is the huge surprise that Peter has arranged for his pal. Now Here are your hosts, who also consider themselves off beaten, dangerous. Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden.
Speaker 1: Hello everybody.
Speaker 3: Once again, I remain any Jason Alexander here with my the boxer. Peter Tilton came in. Yeah, yes, and this is the by the way, the lord you've come to know in love calls really No Really.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because when we started this, however, many episodes ago, we were best friends and I used to push that Now it's really diminishing it's diminishing with everybody. I never said best friend. And you know why, because you're a coward. You wouldn't admit that we're best friends because you would alienate. You want to alienate my other I knew us. That's right. How many other friends do you have to alien?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 1: What are we three? When you're when you're on the playground, you have a best friend? Oh? Okay, that hurt? What who is I'm not looking at camera saying now the humor is not humorous anymore. It's serious. Le's to move on. We're here in Las Vegas and looks like we spent money.
Speaker 3: Looks and this morning I went in first thing because there's a fabulous coffee you never let go of and hid myself a beautiful cappuccino. I put it down, looked just like this. I put it down. I went out to use the restroom. My cappuccino is gone. I'm looking around. I'm looking around, and you notice there's a cap right over there in front of me. I can laugh and you're a bathe what's in that? You know what's in that?
Speaker 1: Peter? You're urinating a lot more than you said. Can we get into the episode?
Speaker 3: Stop clowning around. There's your segue. There's your segue, because today what we're talking about. We started to do some research on the world's most dangerous jobs, and one of the number one, if not the number one, and a lot of the rundowns on it was human canniball. And I called Peter and I said, Peter, you know what the most dangerous job is. I don't know how we're going to do this. It's being a human cannibal. And Peter said, one of my best friends.
Speaker 1: Uran cannibal. And I said, what do you mean, best friend? And I said really, no, really, so you will get to meet if you've never seen somebody who gets shot out of a cannon at seventy to seventy five miles per hour goes over two hundred feet yeah, I think one of the highest heights that have been shout seventy five feet I think seventy five feet up two hundred feet out. But I think our guy goes about thirty thirty five feet up. But what's interesting about this? Oh, then, really we didn't get the guy. I think that guy, I think I think the human hanniball first entered the public consciousness in the nineteenth century days in eighteen seventy one, I'm an english Man named George Farini. Can you imagine? Other people are working on other stuff and he's trying to shoot people. He's trying to come up with a car. Yeah, what do you work? What's your husband George working on shooting people out of the canters? It's trying to fly And don't tell the cousins toy, you're okay. So George Rereene developed the mechanism he called a projector, made out of heavy springs Indian rubber. It was simply a platform with springs. Looked nothing like a cannon, but when released, it shot a person or whatever. Now could you imagine? Because George was I'm sure trying to convince the first person that George knew what he was doing. He applied and received a patent in June thirteenth, eighteen seventy one. Two years later, eighteen seventy three, the projector made its first appearance to the American public. Due to his own girth, however, he couldn't fit in. And that's what he's it. I'm not going in. I'm not going You could have made the two bigger George oh no, oh no, oh no, no, no, no, that's madness. It was not himself but Lulu, a compete young man dressed in women's clothing. Sure already, sure, already with the Yeah, he trained Lulu. And when George let go to latch, Lulu, what was what was that training you're standing on? Getting Get in get in the two, get in the tube. Already by those months of coaching, you had to put a meal.
Speaker 3: And beat him to get him to go on the d If you start putting.
Speaker 1: Food in there, then sleep in there, and then one day you just shoot it off. When George let go the latch holding the spring, Lulu shot thirty feet into the air and grabbed the bars and grabbed the bars of a trapeze hanging down from the ceiling. Crowd went while George and they did it in the crowd, We're going to do this first time, went as wall if you're going to go? If I rated it, George and Lulu were hitting and took to the road with a circus act. By eighteen seventy five, Lulu was known as the Queen I'm sure I pe this, but their act would be eclipsed by a new invention in the human projectile history. A guy named George Loyal in Australia also did this thing and catching and shooting up into the air and the whole bit, so that it has a real, real history of this. And I actually was working I think it was PM magazine in Philly a long time ago, and I was One of my segments was to join the circus for night and go to clown college and abbreviated version of clown clown abbreviated. They did it in Philadelphia at the time because clown college you have to apply it. I'll see you in a clown college. I got to tell you, I don't see it. I don't get well. I had low sat so it was tough, but I think I could put you put clown white makeup on that face. I met. I met this next guy who you're going to meet. He was a clown assigned to me. He made me up, taught me clowning, and I was in the center ring of Ringling Brothers and he ran around and hit me with the I know I Wringling Brothers went on. He hits me with a giant powder puff and I'm the act. And we have stayed friendly and we just talked about thirty seven years he's traveled with his family. And John started out as a clown with Ringling Brothers and then progressed and he called me one day so proud, he said, guess what I'm doing there? I said, what, John, You're the head clown. He said, I'm getting shot out of the cannon. And I went really And with that introduction, ladies and gentleman, mister John, mister John Weiss, the human one of the few human cannibals right in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was very fortunate I was able to jump in there.
Speaker 1: And you're for fortunate. It's a lucky break, lucky breaks of a lucky break. So, John, you were a circus clown and I know that applying to clown college. Station's joking about that, but like five six thousand people applying the only pick like thirty or forty. Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they hold the auditions throughout the United States, and the professional clowns. When we're in a particular location, we bring the people in the rain, We audition them, We do all kinds of improvisational stuff, and they select only sixty.
Speaker 1: How long is it and how long is clown college?
Speaker 4: It was almost two months when I went.
Speaker 1: When I met him, try and lift a shopping cart. You know, however your shopping cart is. It's impossible. John was juggling a shopping cart and balancing it on his chin. Exactly. You couldn't. You couldn't lift it up. You can partly return it when you're done shopping.
Speaker 3: You don't know that I can lift a shopping No, you cannot. I can lift a shopping John, what is it? What's a what's a card way?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I used a Costco shopping cart. Yes, that's what I wanted, Masco shopping. Not only yeah, I just heavy is better for me.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna he Also, you're also like an idiot. I mean this used to during me crazy. You would bounce it. Not just the shopping.
Speaker 3: I saw photos of you balance a dollar bill on your chin.
Speaker 1: You balance a feather on your chin, and also a running chainsaw and a running chainsaw. I can do that too.
Speaker 5: I want to see that one.
Speaker 1: And by the way, if you'd like to apply for the co host position, No, it's you know.
Speaker 4: I just started as a kid balancing stuff. Didn't know I had the talent. And then as I got older, people who challenged me to balance bigger things, and that's how I got to climact.
Speaker 3: Know, this is such a stupid question with the balance, And did you always on the channel?
Speaker 1: Did you like try on a finger?
Speaker 4: No? No, I started on my foot, on your foot, and then it got to my knee, my shoulder, and then my face. Heavy objects on the chin, light on the nose.
Speaker 1: So you went from clowning. And the interesting thing for me about clowning, there is a cash system in the circus and most of the acts are generation and they're very protective of the act. They don't want they only give away secrets. So here's this, here's a clown who wants to all of a sudden learn how to do that. I read somewhere. I read a lot of articles that there may have even the sabotage whereas Bill shuts the seventhage? Is that true? John? How hard was that to break into a family, traditional business where the circus treats those people like god, that's they're the big stars.
Speaker 4: Well, it starts at different levels, like you have supposedly it did. At one point it was all the act people, and then you had clowns and show girls at a different level, so we would never at that level. To get to that, you will usually within your family, you know, years and years of training, and that training, as you said, went down to the next generation, and that would give them longevity in the business. What did they do or what do you think they do well in retrospect? When I when I go back and I look at everything. When I trained people, I give them distance to realize where they're going and to react in time to talk and hit the net on the back of the shoulders. Right when I was trained, it was right over the net and I only went like like ten feet, uh huh. And I knew after that first cannon shot I was going to be able to do it because they tucked in time. But I did hurt myself.
Speaker 3: So the amount of throw from the cannon is relatively little because it's only, as you say, shoot you about ten feet, But it gives you enough of the sense of oh, okay, I see what this is going to build up to, and I have to So is the learning did it gradually add more and more distance and therefore more and more thrust?
Speaker 1: Blush?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look, no matter what, when the cannon goes off, it's like a blink. If you blink your eyes, that's how fast it is. So even a short shot is a huge jolt on your body. It's like being in a car accident and you're parked and somebody hits you from about sixty five miles an hour, but you're ready for it. Yeah, And that's the kind of force we're talking about, between ten and twelve g forces in a second on your average flight.
Speaker 1: What's the difference on the average flight, you mean, like a regular flight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you were doing this, it's three seconds, about one hundred and sixty five feet under thirty five feet high.
Speaker 1: Okay, so one hundred and sixty five feet.
Speaker 4: In three seconds, and it's only thirty five feet high because the rigging is trimmed out at forty two so as your legs come over, you want to make sure that you obviously don't clip your legs on the rigging.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: And psychologically, when you're in there, you don't see the net. Yeah, all you see is the rigging. So psychologically, when the building is lower than forty two feet at trim and you're trying to, you know, bring the canon down lower for a line drive a logically, our first shot really could do a lot of damage to so.
Speaker 1: As you say, much like I understand parachutists.
Speaker 3: Do you know they before they opened the shoot there any little movement of hands, foot, head, altars, how they fly.
Speaker 1: You're doing the same thing. But you're doing it.
Speaker 3: It must be completely instinctual, because you can't there's no time to process.
Speaker 1: Oh, I need to I need to get muscle memory. It's got to be muscle memory. It's doing an auto sort of an autobiolot. Not to make a pun, but I.
Speaker 4: Trained one clown and the reason I picked him because when we used to grun out from the back curtain on to say, the floor of the garden Madison Sweat garden, we're running out as clown, I would trip him as he's in a full run, and he was able to roll out of it. So I said, okay, because it's a good.
Speaker 1: And how many times a day did you do this? Well?
Speaker 4: We did about ten to thirteen times a week, three times every Saturday, three times every sing and there was a year that we did we produced the show with the cat and opening the show that was the worst because its like a ten o'clock show. You'd be shitting out of a cannon. Horrible man. Do you know.
Speaker 1: It's worse than Peter stealing my boss? One hundred? Why do you? And I'm not saying this to be funny. Jason, before he goes on stage, I always say, around four o'clock, have you have? You?
Speaker 5: I have?
Speaker 3: I had a terrible incident on stage one time where I was in desperate need of a bathroom and held on, thank God, but it was touch and go.
Speaker 1: So I go, I'm on. I'm on empty when I when I perform on, I'm adjusting empty would be better? Empty is better? Is better? Had seventy miles an hour? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: You know, but speaking of that, not only as the cannibal, but as a clown as well. You know the I know what it's like having to go on stage as an actor when you have a headache or you're feeling a little under or something's happened in your life and you're upset, and you know, focus to be a clown first of all, which is just pure entertainment. There's no plot to hide behind, there's no story, there's no lines, pure you know, pure joy entertainment. And then the risks of doing this if you're feeling off, do you do it anyway?
Speaker 1: Do you? You just go? I got it it. Showtime, Show must go on.
Speaker 4: Show must go on always always, Yeah, you know, Look, the audience is medicine for me. If I'm not having a good day, I get on stage and everything goes away because I'm connecting with an audience and I'm getting automatic feedback from what I'm doing and I'm having a good time. And create memories. Yeah, that's what we do as entertainers. We create memories and to be a part of someone's memory for the life. Yeah, forever is a wonderful thing.
Speaker 1: It just happened. Did you I never saw you. I never saw you test the thing? Could you test it with dummies?
Speaker 4: A lot of people make mistakes, and I've made mistakes in it. It cost them dearly. There was a gentleman his name was Elvin Bally. He was doing the Candon before I did un wringling in Japan. He used the dummy to test the distance, and that dummy absorbed the water and it wasn't weighed prior to shooting out moisture or whatever it may have been. Right the way, he overshot the airbag.
Speaker 1: And oh he was in front of an audience, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he landed in like a bleachers of seats or something and he got paralyzed from it. And that was during the time I was training. So then I was questioning whether I was doing the right thing. But I was steadfast on my decision to learn this and achieve it and to become the best I could.
Speaker 1: And I never asked you. Did Laura ever say John, don't do this. Did she ever trying to suade you from doing it? No?
Speaker 4: But I got life insurances soon as I started as a clown.
Speaker 3: Okay, but the whole it wasn't just the ca I mean, if you look around, everything in the circuits seems dangerous to me. If you're on a wire, if you're on a trapeze, if you're working with an animal, if you're I mean, the whole thing is, and the way, you know, especially with something like wringling, the whole rigging goes up like in a blank comes down in a blink.
Speaker 1: It all seems very very precarious to me. Drewe falls Wow.
Speaker 4: You know. Look, it's it's just like anything. A few lose respect for a ass car, a motorcycle and you don't take the precautions necessary. There's always going to be something that's going to happen. With the Cannon example, it's mechanical, so anything can happen. So you can't take anything for granted. Every show is different, and every show you have to take that time to make sure everything's right. And I did overshoot a couple of times, but side by Side it was only two weeks into the double Cannon and I was not in charge, and when I got inside of it, we didn't have an intercom system in there. We didn't even have a safety So once I got in there, they started the countdown and I'm like, oh my god, I'm gonna oh my You.
Speaker 1: Knew something was wrong.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I was in the same level as the next guy. So at this point when I get in, it's usually staggered the capsules. Right I get in with side By I could see him, Oh my god, and by then it's too late for what happened. You're bracing, you're praying.
Speaker 1: I got to hit the net. You know, afterwards you get off, smile for the crowd and then go screaming somebody.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not about that. But what I did was made sure every show I checked it after that. But that one time could have killed me, could have killed him. We could have bounced out of the net. We went side by side land in the same part of the net we got up on. You could see our faces. I having on video. You can see our faces, and they were like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: We're alive. Oh thank you John, thank you for having me by the wall.
Speaker 3: The five to five and Underclub salutes us.
Speaker 1: Really today's episode really, So, today's episode was ostensibly about the deadliest job in the world, and we had John Weishaung who gets shot out of cannon. However, you've been talking about this gentleman, saying I don't know how he does this. I can't believe he does this. You got to see the You've been raving about this guy for a million years and I didn't want to step on. Hey, John, getting shot out of the canon is not the most dangerous job in the world. But this guy does something that is insanely dangerous. And you're gonna go crazy when I tell you we reached that Lord tracked him down and found him. I'll back this up. He's at the Bellagio. He's in the show the guy who sets him fire every single.
Speaker 3: And I know it's not Richard ray.
Speaker 1: Ray Wald is coming in right. I think the only guy in the world that does this sets himself. What's the act.
Speaker 3: The act is, he sits and he's dressed like a clown with a hat and shoot. And he comes and he sits in a lawn chair, a reclining lawn chair, and he puts a kerosene lamp down on the floor and he's reading a newspaper and the kerosene lamp catches the lawnchair on fire. So he catches on fire from head to toe. The paper is burning too, and as he's burning, he goes, oh, I'm on fire, and walking very slowly, he gets and he walks off stage.
Speaker 1: That's the whole act.
Speaker 3: But he is visibly on fire from head to toe for close to a minute and a half to.
Speaker 1: And he was on America. However many times a week he has to do America's Got talent. He had his mother on with him. He was throwing flaming knives with his mother, which is but here he I knew you wanted.
Speaker 6: This gunbelievable, all right, So ladies and gentlemen, let us who sets himself a play several times.
Speaker 3: The other part of the show, and I was just reminding Ray is that when I saw it was you know, fairly early in its run, and and Seinfeld was a thing, and I was invited backstage to meet the company, and I'm looking at all these extraordinary performers, and you know, it's hard to recognize that they're in so much makeup during the show, so you're trying to go, oh, that was that person.
Speaker 1: That was that person.
Speaker 3: And I see Ray and I and I go up to him and I go fire guy, and he goes yeah, and I go not a trick.
Speaker 7: He goes no, Like, oh my god, And you were so grateful because I immediately was like, I can't believe even now, Jason, I say, for I mean, I'm around movie sets.
Speaker 1: I've seen stunt guys do a burn. Thirty seconds is a long burn, and then they will run for you minute, put you out and you're walking. So let's get if we can, right. Thank you first of all for making he really he's obsessed with this thing, as you anybody would be listening to that, because again, not to three minutes, that's a long time. I think the world record is somebody at four something. But he must be la for.
Speaker 5: A long time. There's just three minutes.
Speaker 1: So if you don't mind, because I read the story, when could you tell the story of how you got started? Because people listening, I'm sure can't imagine how a guy would go. You know, I think and and and follow through on it and do what you do so wrong with your life that you I've got an act.
Speaker 8: Well that's exactly, that's exactly, you know, And I thank you for recognizing it as real fire. So many people are just thinking it's fat fire, not real fire. You wouldn't believe how many people think that it's not real. Sure, but it is absolutely real. And uh, you know, I started on the street, you know, I started performing on the streets. And more people see you, the more money you make. And you know, I started performing. I was a good juggler, got to juggle five clubs and everything. But people wouldn't stop until I lit the torch up, you know, and to do a little bit of fire eating. As soon as I got brought fire into the act, people.
Speaker 1: Was, okay, let me stop you right here. How hard is it then to go from juggling I will tell juggling fire.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, okay, juggling fire is one thing. I had a college a friend in college who was a juggler and a fire eater, and I said, how'd you learn fire eating? He goes, you know, you don't learn it, you do it. And he tried to get me to do it, you know, and he said, remember the heat will burn up, so keep your mouth wide and close your teeth, but don't And I'm in this thing towards my face and you feel the heat, and the heat goes up, a few heat goes up.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling that I could not do it. I couldn't do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's true, you know.
Speaker 8: And back in my day, there wasn't books and videos, and there was a few little books that have hints of information, but there wasn't the videotube. You can't see it, that's how you do it. It wasn't the possible. So you kind of learned a little tiny information and then you just lit it up and try it, you know, and.
Speaker 1: You just did you make mistakes where you saw.
Speaker 8: Oh you absolutely made a lot of mistakes, and you learn from those mistakes. And the people kept coming, they kept wanting more and more fire, and you know.
Speaker 5: You had to make a living, had to eat you know.
Speaker 3: So wait, when you make a mistake learning to eat fire, what's the cost?
Speaker 8: I mean you you burn your lips, so you burn them pretty bad, right, yeah, but that's not.
Speaker 1: Like a nothing. That takes a while for that to heal. And then you try it again.
Speaker 5: Try it again, and you try it again until you get it right. And you're right.
Speaker 8: You got to keep your head back pretty far or are you going to burn your nose and your eyes?
Speaker 1: All right, So now you're doing that, and you've you've mastered this, you're doing it pretty well.
Speaker 5: And then well, and then I had this idea.
Speaker 8: I had this idea if I go to eat fire, because my background is clowning. I grew up, went to Ringian Brothers, bartum Bailey's circus, clown Colleagen.
Speaker 1: That's where things go wrong for people. That's what I've learned doing this.
Speaker 5: That's why I thought.
Speaker 8: So I thought, I want to make a comedy routine out of this. And so I go to eat fire. I'm going to catch a little scarf on my pocket on fire, you know, and to act like it's by accident, try to put it out, and then I'll throw it down. I've been down to pick it up, and my tie will catch fire, and I'll blow it out and try it.
Speaker 5: And then I'll swing back and hit my crotch and I'll try.
Speaker 1: To put that out. All right, this already sounds like are you out of your mind?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: So I know it took a time. But how did we get then to the circ thing, which again is such a mind blower act?
Speaker 8: Well, I was traveling doing this act and stuff, and I got invited to go to the Monte Carlos Festival, the biggest circus festival in the world.
Speaker 5: All the great acts go there and perform. And I went out.
Speaker 8: I went there and the King of Monico was up right up in the front row.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: And I came and I ran down.
Speaker 8: I was going to do the crotchburn, you know, And I ran came out of the audience, my hat on fire while like a wild man coming down, and I went to eat the fire, and my scarf caught fire, my ty caught fire, my crotchhot fired.
Speaker 5: I was run around on the rinker.
Speaker 8: I stopped right in the front of the king there, and you could have heard a pin drop.
Speaker 5: Nobody did anything. They didn't laugh, they didn't do anything.
Speaker 8: Well, they were, but then the King just started laughing and the whole place just erupted. And after that, I could do no wrong in Monaco, and and just away happened to be there at that time. And then a few days later I was on the beach over there in Monico and it's so lovely there, and we had Elton John was singing live and sports arena there and I was on the beach eating wine and cheese and stuff, but just listening to Elton John. And I get a call from Circus La. They said, you know, Ray, we want you to come and do the show with us. We're put together a new show in Vegas here.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: I was like Circus La, I don't I think he got the wrong guy because I'm a little tramp, dirty tramp clown with fire. I'm all sooty, and you know they're beautiful, beautiful tights and costumes and stuff.
Speaker 5: I don't know how I fit in. I said, I think he got the wrong person. Then no, no, we didn't get the wrong person. This is not we know who you are. And so I ended up coming to Las Vegas and I and I been here for twenty.
Speaker 1: Did you help them. So did you help them create your segment in the show.
Speaker 5: Well, I had already created my segment, so they.
Speaker 1: Bought the whole act. They bought you and the act.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there are acrobats and performers working for circ who I see their skills replicated in various shows. So there's people that hang from the straps, there's people who do the hoops, there's people who do the seer, there's people that can tumble and they do the Teter Tynerboy, I've never seen anybody else do what you do?
Speaker 1: Does that give you hoping? The answer to this is a whopping yes. Does that give you a negotiating power?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 1: Actually? Did it?
Speaker 5: Actually?
Speaker 8: You know, because they're looking for unique and I say, you know, shows, you've got to have variety in the shows today. And I believe that that's what has kept me working through the years, is the fact that I am unique.
Speaker 1: I try to oh yeah, oh yeah, you're a bit unique. Show you how many shows a week are you engulfed in Flint?
Speaker 8: Well, we do ten shows a week, and I burned twice twice in each show. So so far, twenty burns a week, twenty burns a week.
Speaker 5: But I've been there.
Speaker 8: I've been there for twenty four years or something like that, so that's about forty thousand burns or somebody don't know.
Speaker 1: And what I read was, if I'm correct, you've never injured yourself when doing a search show, but you did injure yourself doing a private show.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 8: I have had some burns. I've never really been seriously burned, though where I haven't.
Speaker 1: Dude, the leg burned that I saw I would consider a serious but you don't. But oh my god.
Speaker 8: Your wife says you were in a little distressed, right, Yeah, it burned from my knee to my ankle and all the skin was burned off.
Speaker 1: But a look at that, it's like a sunburn. So you know when I realized you were crazy that the pain that I caused. But yet you still did the CERK show.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I wasn't supposed to be doing Oh.
Speaker 1: Wow, but wow, And okay, because it's such a dangerous stunt, and I'm sure it takes focus and preparation all that stuff. Is it like when Jason performs, it's a rush. When I perform, it's a rush. Is there is there a rush? Or is it?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 5: Even after twenty four years.
Speaker 8: The adrenalines there, You're ready to go, You're pumped up, ready to going on the stage.
Speaker 3: I know, I gotta tell you I would be I I could just see myself, you know, my two week my two week vacation once a year in Hawaii going. I can't believe one more day and then I gotta go back and set myself on fire.
Speaker 1: A funny thing where you said that when Ray said, I also read that Race said when he's on the beach, he burns.
Speaker 5: On the beach, which I can't be three minutes out here.
Speaker 1: I read just on the screen. And the other thing about this is whether you're using the kevlar or whatever you using to protect you your You wear a hat, but your face is unprotected.
Speaker 8: Just repent, that is true. I don't I don't use any stunt jels or anything about.
Speaker 1: How does it knock get your face?
Speaker 5: Well, it gets warm.
Speaker 8: You just have to move out of the way. And you'll see me on stage sometimes you'll see me squirming. If you see me squirming, I'm in trouble, you know.
Speaker 1: And that happens.
Speaker 5: It happens more than you think.
Speaker 1: So what's the trouble And what's the trouble. What's going on there?
Speaker 8: It's just too holle. Someone opened the door. Someone opened the door or event or the heaters came on in a certain place and suck to suck the flame in a different direction, you have to beat the flight right next right, don't they.
Speaker 1: Have signs up that don't turn on the event, don't open the door. Really they do.
Speaker 8: But you know some people don't don't listen, you know, so when you you know instantly what's going on.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's nobody else right now currently in the world that does what you do.
Speaker 5: No, im, I'm the only one.
Speaker 8: And I like it that way because when you create something and when it's yours, you know, you have a hard time saying, you know, oh yeah, it's okay for you to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ray, I got to thank you. You made this little boy's life. He's been talking about you as long as I've known him.
Speaker 3: And let me say this, as Ray says, the show is twenty four years and running. It is a glorious show.
Speaker 1: Again. Oh god, it's just we'll do this again in twenty years.
Speaker 5: They said, Peter for having me here.
Speaker 1: You stay safe. I'm going to come see you next time, we're going to come back just to see you.
Speaker 5: Rayy, come back, stats, come back. Stay, We'll come back.
Speaker 1: Stay. Maybe we'll pick you out to dinner and we can go to barbecue. All right? So what are the dangerous jobs that here we go? You're on a dangerous job. And I wonder if this I wonder if there's even one that you and I could do if we had lumberjack. That's a dangerous gentle, because oh my god, you're working with chainsaws and stuff all the time. Yeah, the opportunity to have some hit you fall on you, ye timber, even a minor woodpecker at that it would be horrible. Way we have a woodpecker outside my bedroom. Win that annoying, worse than a rooster free dawn. And you go and by the way, what's here? Comp What is he trying to doing?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 1: When did they go? Enough? I finished with the street. If anybody knows that, can you email us? When do they go?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm pretty pretty much pleeted district work is done, because it seems like it's never ending, and they're showing off. They're showing off for other birds. Look what I'm doing a carpenter. Yeah, underwater welder. This one. I can't even talk underwater welder. So catch this. You go down below, you go into a tube a half mile in your welding. Can you imagine that there's the water in the tube. Yeah, there's water in this. So what I don't understand this? How do you get a fire? They have underworld of one because they have stuff that does that and I don't know. I didn't do that much refine. I didn't get an a in chemistry, but I know water. But they could they repair pipelines, ships, dams, all this stuff like I can't I can't even imagine it. Sulfur minor, I didn't even know this. Sulfur mine? Where they mine sulfur? Where are they minded volcanoes? Yeah, that's a two fer. Yeah, you die from the sulfur. And it's oh, look, what's something bubbling? Did you hear bubble? Did somebody hear something? Ice road trucker? We've seen we've all shown that shot that this one is similar to John getting shot like cannon because it's my choice and it's for entertainment. Yeah, bull rider, bull rider, Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, right, that's the thing. Yeah, what is that about? What is that. By the way, it doesn't even be a bull the horses also the bucket worst, but the bull rider thing. They use one hand, right, because two, why would you use two? You can actually hold on one hand and the thing comes out. You irritate him, you let him out, and you manage to stay on. Hey, he stayed on long enough. Oh then he got trampled right one. By the way, you stay on for.
Speaker 3: Nine seconds, it's it's a chiropractic for the next twenty years.
Speaker 1: If you were the champion and you did that for five years, I would guess you're three inches shorter, five and short in the bucket from the bucket, Yeah, the bucket venom milker. Yeah, take those things. They don't like to be. They don't like to be. They don't like to and you need a degree for this. And this is the best one. Yeah, this is one of my favorites. Crocodile physiologists they actively capture and bring a crocodile out to study it, and then they have to release it back. So that's two times you're dealing with something that's going no way, no frigging way. Am I eating you? I'm eating you? Now? Can you imagine I don't the thing.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been to the alligator shows that they might never go? No, they really glades one time, and you know they brought you out on an air boat. You couldn't get away. But apparently you can hold the alligator's mouth open or closed.
Speaker 1: I can't remember. There's one direction the way they have closed the mouth open. You got it. You gotta get it right. You get that. It's really important. Not a small not a small detail. Wait there for my first show, I couldn't remember. God damn, I did it again, and I was a pain customer. And now he's fed by the way the good news.
Speaker 3: I actually, honestly, one of the things I believe that everybody who does a dangerous job, we should have asked John this is when he's flying across that thing, he must feel. I think these people that do the dangerous jobs, they feel like it's never gonna happen to them, that.
Speaker 1: There's some sort of a superhero. I looked this up. Why people do dangerous Yeah, First of all, a lot of it is to do with poverty in a lot of places like sherper guides and stuff like that, where you get paid and you can make a living. But the ones like the underwater wellers and stuff. Believe it or not, there's a there. First of all, they get paid a lot. Second of all, their schedules are are interesting because they can be off for two months and then work for two or three months, so it's you can spend time at family, the life. It gets paid very well. But there's also this this sense of accomplishment that I've done something to make America say I've done a great job whatever. So that's a big part of this too. It all enters into that. So that's why they do it. Googlehi'm Google Heim. We're wrapping up. We'll see what what he's got? What do we say wrong? What do we say right? What needs to be clarified. There's a lot of a lot to start with here. But number one thing woodpeckers. Oh why did they pack? Yeah? Why did they pack? Why did they pack? Why do they powder? To find food? Excavate areas for nesting, they'll live in there sometimes they wow, what did Yes?
Speaker 9: I actually had one that and mark their territory markets. I actually had a woodpecker that live about my car until they.
Speaker 3: Were Okay, is there anything but David does this anything like? Is it a mating thing to like the loud of the cannocking. The more the female went for, Oh that guy, can he can really drill?
Speaker 1: That's it, that's just showing it. I don't see any watch this this guy. Yeah okay, yeah, yeah, that's a noise. I'm waking up this woodpecker.
Speaker 7: Sure.
Speaker 1: How far back do you think clowning goes in history? Wells palaolithical man semataurists, Man, I don't know.
Speaker 6: There was a guy, you know, hog and they found one embalmed and bombed and he would trip over a log.
Speaker 1: It was hysterical. They actually found a sing of ice that melted, and under the was a guy holding a ball and had a red notse and he was balancing a stick on his nose. Yeah go ahead, but you're actually not You're not far off ancient Egypt.
Speaker 9: There are hieroglyphics that show, oh, clowning, and they were actually called dangus and they were compelled to wear funny masks and entertain the pharaohs.
Speaker 1: Was it a voluntary jones?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 1: Like? I don't believe. Was that was that the high they were? They were African pigmies, So I don't think this was something that you volunteered. And I just insert this because I've been on radio for so long, and just as a precautionary, could you also google dingus to make sure that we're not cursing every three minutes the way it sounds to me like a body part in important movies. I just want to make sure that when we're throwing around the term dangus, that we're not saying.
Speaker 3: By the way, also funny, maybe that's the A because we'll find out in the Philippines that means they were shut down.
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you could there's actually actually Peter.
Speaker 9: I'm glad you mentioned that because again, clowning historically goes back to a lot of different cultures.
Speaker 1: Those are ancient China, the the the Jao dynasty.
Speaker 9: In fact, the Great Wall of China would have been painted if not for the Emperor's clown.
Speaker 1: The clowns painting John, I don't understand that. Yes, what was in it for the clowns?
Speaker 9: The emperor was going to paint the wall and this probably would have meant thousands of hundreds or thousands of people.
Speaker 1: Dying from from that endeavor because it's so huge.
Speaker 9: But the clown that the court gesture if you will, was the only one who was able to make the emperor think maybe this isn't such a good idea and he didn't do it.
Speaker 3: What do you suppose that comedy routine was those are the emperors? You guys going to have been a wall?
Speaker 1: And the other question I wanted to know is what Sherwin Williams color were they going to be? Where do you get too? Yes, because it's ever lasting? Yeah, ever lasting?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 1: Always classic. Yeah. Anyway, So clowns were way back. But guess what one clown is no longer performing. Well, I'm sure there's more than McDonald. Ron no longer with us? Why that's retired? He was retired in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 9: There were a lot of different reasons, but a lot of it had to do with the Stephen King it.
Speaker 1: You know, those scary clowns.
Speaker 9: There are also incidences across the country of a violent clown. You know, people would videotape clowns a menacing people, sometimes even with weapons.
Speaker 1: This was a documentary thing, and so in twenty sixteen he was By the way, I just would love to see video Ronald in the film Makeup going, Do you just let me go? Let me go on the mortgage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, another famous client that was retired. One of my favorite bits on Seinfeld, one of my favorites, and it was played by the great Johns who went on to you know, direct Ironman, become a major Hollywood director and actor. But he played a party clown at a kids party that George's in attendance, at the one where eventually there would be a kitchen fire and I would push old women and children out of the way to escape.
Speaker 1: But it drew.
Speaker 3: It drove George crazy that this clown didn't know who Boso was. And I kept haranguing him about you don't know Boso.
Speaker 1: How do you not know Boso? And John had a line and he did it so perfectly.
Speaker 3: He went, I don't know Bojo, Man, you hung up on some clown from the sixties.
Speaker 1: Man, he did it so beautifully. I never got through the scene and he was in it. But he was in it. Oh. I thank you Googleheim, I thank John Weiss. I think all our guests, and by the way, thank you Blue Wires Studios here in Las Vent. Anybody who's still a dankish we apolishi, Yes, Jay job, Yes, and you know what we got away with it unscathed and by the way, good coffee. Oh you best?
Speaker 2: Now really, really, now, Really, there's another episode of Really No Really come to a close. You may be asking what are the least dangerous jobs in the world. Well, I'll tell you in a moment, but first I'd like to thank our guests, John Weiss and Ray Woold. You can check them both out on Facebook and YouTube, where you'll also find raised controversial recent appearances with his mother on America's Got Talent The guy sets his mother.
Speaker 1: On fire, but somehow I'm the one in therapy whatever.
Speaker 2: You can find us online at reallynoreally dot com and if you have a really no really, let us know on the website and if we use it, we may give you something amazing or we'll just rip off your idea. You can find us on Instagram, TikTok, and threads it Really No Really podcast. Check out our full episodes on YouTube. Hit that subscribe button and tick that bell so you're updated when we release new videos, and thank you for listening, subscribing, and sharing the show. We release new episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts, and now the top I've rated least dangerous jobs accountant, interpreter, telemarketer, librarian, and topping the list copywriter, which seems wrong to me given the ever present dangers of paper cuts, eyestrain, handcramping, and the lurking thread of replacement by chat GPT. Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.
Speaker 1: Copywriters, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Really No, Really is a production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment.