Speaker 1: Comedy Off Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes Jay Drena March sixth through the eighth. Then catch club favorite and nef you Tommy March thirteenth through the sixteenth, and don't miss Michael pallisac March twenty first and twenty second. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Four tickets call eight five, nine, two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot com Offway.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 3: Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Welcome everyone. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Monday, March the sixteenth. Is that right, Channon? Monday, March the sixteenth?
Speaker 5: Is that the tenth seventeenth?
Speaker 6: Saint Patrick's Day?
Speaker 5: Seventeenth? That's right? Yesterday was three sixteen.
Speaker 4: There was a guy here in Bristol wearing an Austin three to sixteen shirt. But you can give usjown the Clark's Puppy Shop phone line eight five nine two eighth twenty two eight. A Vision Auto Glass text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. This edition sponsored by the TJ SMID Office. You call TJ, He'll make them pay. I am at the ESPN mothership in Bristol, Connecticut, which is still living proof Shannon that no matter what, technical difficulties will always follow Keas because I am in one of ESPN Radio's main studios.
Speaker 5: You tell me I sound fine, right, you tell me I sound fine.
Speaker 3: I've got yeah.
Speaker 4: You should hear it in my ear. It sounds like it sounds like we're doing it in a garbage can. But I'm gonna do my best to get through it because it is in my ear. This couldn't sound worse, but Shannon says it sounds fine, so we'll make it work.
Speaker 5: Ryan and Drew are in Lexington. Shannon is in Louisville.
Speaker 4: I was here last night for the NCAA selection show on ESPN Radio, which was a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about in a little bit. Ryan.
Speaker 4: Last time we were all together was Friday, an awful performance at the SEC tournament. Here's my view on that game Friday night. How about now we just don't act like it happened.
Speaker 5: Are you mean with that? With that, let's just feel the postgame show.
Speaker 4: It was like two in the morning, and Drew, it was such a terrible performance in the game, and we got the NCAA tournament. I make a motion, and all in favor say I, I make a motion. We just act like that game Friday night didn't happen. Do I have a second? I suck at the motion?
Speaker 5: All right? All in favor, SAYI ay? All a pose? All right, there you go. So now let's just get to the tournament. And Drew.
Speaker 4: The bracket comes out last night, and uh, what'd you think Kentucky ends up going to Milwaukee.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 4: Plays Troy and then the winner of a basically three teams Illinois, Texas Xavier potential Sweet sixteen matchup with Tennessee.
Speaker 5: What did you think of the draw?
Speaker 7: I'll start with just the location. Uh, Milwaukee was my my number one pick before the bracket came out. I'm excited. We're playing on a Friday night's drivable. We're gonna have a lot of fun in that city. And then you know, fourteen seed you could have, You're not getting a great team, but looking up Troy, I think it's a good matchup too. So I love the draw. Love everything about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Troy. I will admit, Shannon, don't know one thing about Troy. I mean I know where it is. It's in Alabama. But as far as their basketball team, couldn't tell you one thing about the Troy basketball team. Don't know a player, don't know the coach. I was trying to think of if I knew Ryan. Do you know anyone that ever played for Troy basketball?
Speaker 6: No, but I know one of their former head coaches is Phil Cunningham from Campbellsville. He was their head coach a couple years ago when they made the NCAA Tournament. He went, he went to Kentucky, westing with me. Yeah, yeah, I know that. Yeah, so you have a former head coach. Yeah, I know no players. I know nothing about Troy, but I do know this, Shanna. We can't lose to them.
Speaker 5: I know that. We just can't let that happen.
Speaker 2: I think they ranked like three hundred and thirty ninth and three point shooting. So that's a good thing for Kentucky, really, is that right? They are a good defensive team and they ranked sixth in America an offensive rebound efficiency, so they got that going for them.
Speaker 3: But other than that I think we could beat them.
Speaker 5: That's more stats than I do.
Speaker 4: So they can't shoot threes, they offensive rebound pretty good defensively, now Ran we've for the most part, had some success against teams like that. That's kind of what Tennessee is like. For instance. You know there'll be a pace differential matchup. I know they slow it down some. The spread is only ten and a half, so at least Vegas thinks we're gonna have to bring it in order to win this first game.
Speaker 6: Do you think Vegas is weighing that just on the injuries we've had lately, because I thought that that was gonna be kind of a low spread for this game.
Speaker 4: I thought it was slow too, But it may be a few things drew. It might be the injuries, it might be that, you know, we've struggled some with teams that weren't the greatest. And it also just might be that we've lost two of the last three games to teams like this in the tournament.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and Troy's pretty hot team too. Ken Palm Jacks at eighty two to seventy, so that's right there around the spread. I also thought it would have been a little higher, but they're coming in hot and they like a low scoring game. So I guess that's how we landed ten and a half. It's even eleven and a half. It's kind of on the move up. So if you're gonna get it, I would get in early because I think that'll only continue to climb.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hope.
Speaker 4: So I overall, I look at the bracket and I say this, all right, you go to Milwaukee.
Speaker 5: I've Drew and I've been to Milwaukee. Shan you ever been to Milwaukee?
Speaker 2: Uh, I think we maybe went through it for a few hours, but I don't think we ever stopped off and did anything there.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've actually been there a few times. Yeah, once with Drew, once, once with a once with a golf trip. I was actually with Mario on our way to Green Bay. I think it's a very cool city for Kentucky fans considering whether to go. I think Milwaukee's one of the more underrated like gyms in America. Oh even go, say wow.
Speaker 3: A gym, it's a gym.
Speaker 5: I think it's a gym.
Speaker 4: They've got, you know, a big beer selection. I feel like that would make you happy, Drew, right, Like all kinds of micro brus that kind of stuff, plus some big companies. Well, I don't know what the weather will be like cold cold, looked at it, looked it up old, Yeah, how cold is it supposed to be?
Speaker 6: What cold?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: Let's see.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, Friday is supposed to be up to fifty one degrees a low of twenty eight, So we'll take fifty.
Speaker 4: Well, see, so like it's gonna be really hot. So it's gonna be fifty one degrees. Uh, you don't have to worry about that, but I do. I actually think it's a nice place. Then you look at the bracket. Let's put Troy aside. Obviously we have to beat them, but we don't know anything about him. You get Illinois, Xavier or Texas. Ryan, that means in the second round, you're gonna get a pretty good team. It's gonna be one of those I have to tell you. I look at that group, and Ryan, I'm not sure who I want to play. Like of those three, who would you want to play?
Speaker 6: Just just me personally? I know we're better than Texas. We gave that game away at Texas that night, just with some late game turnovers. I saw all Illinois a couple times this year. They're they're pretty good. You know Big Z's brothers. Twin brother plays on the team. They're not They're not bad. But I would love another shot at Texas and just bury them.
Speaker 4: The thing about Illinois drew Is is they can be really good when that one guy's good.
Speaker 7: The what how do you say his name? I mean, it's got Jay's and k's.
Speaker 4: Jack has so many letters, like you need to look look up the guy. I think he has the world record for most letters in his name.
Speaker 5: It's like fresh rush of.
Speaker 3: Let's talk Ryan. Pronounce it. He's always good at pronouncing names.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no no. He'll find a way for it to be offensive. I just know he won't find a way to say it in a way that's not But it's a lot of ass. I think it starts with an ass first name. I think it starts with a J in the second.
Speaker 3: Name j A K. You ready for it?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 5: What's his first name?
Speaker 2: Kesperris k A s p A r A.
Speaker 5: All right, so Cas Sparis. Okay, what's the last name.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna spell it for you.
Speaker 2: Jak uc Io Nis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know how to say that.
Speaker 4: Good greed J so we'll call him Jasparis the other whatever his last name is. That guy's really good and he is gonna be like a top ten pick.
Speaker 5: But he can also be awful.
Speaker 4: Like Drew, he will shoot them into If he's hot, he's like impossible to stop. If he's not, they can lose by thirty five points to teams. So he worries me.
Speaker 5: A little bit.
Speaker 4: I'm a little bit Drew with Ryan, Like, I know what Texas is, so I wouldn't mind playing them in the next game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll lean that direction. Texas has looked pretty good lately. They got their own lottery pick maybe in Trey Johnson. That would worry me a little bit. But I do agree that you had him beat down there in Austin in the regular season, playing with a limited roster and just completely collapse down in the end to lose. So I would of all of them, might go Xavier first, but I'm not afraid of Texas at all. I'd welcome that challenge.
Speaker 6: It's crazy you could have the SEC teams in back to back games, right with Texas and the NURDY Tennessee.
Speaker 4: We have sat here and said we can't wait for the tournament to get away from SEC teams, and now Ryan, we might be playing more SEC teams in the tournament.
Speaker 6: Isn't that crazy? I mean, it just blows my mind. There's so many SEC teams in the tournament. They got to put them somewhere.
Speaker 4: And then the other thing about Illinois is that they sit there, Ryan Champagne, Illinois is only like an hour and a half from Milwaukee, right, So if you're looking at it from a crowd perspective, there's a chance if we played Illinois that they could have the biggest crowd, So they could have I won't say a home game, but it could feel like a neutral home game for them, which is another reason it might be better to play one of those other two teams.
Speaker 6: You know, I hadn't thought about that, but you're right. You know, Kentucky, we'll travel, we'll have a good crowd, but the second best crowd, maybe the best crowd, will be definitely Illinois fans and making that trip.
Speaker 5: Up there just right there.
Speaker 4: So I mean that's one of the reasons maybe to pull Shandon for the winner of Xavier, Texas is you might not have to deal with the Illinois crown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that and I would just I think they're obviously seedium. Why is they're the worst teams as opposed to playing Illinois. So I think I'd rather play like a Xavier if I had my pick of those teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Xavier is okay.
Speaker 4: Like but here's the thing, and this ultimately is my question for you guys. You've now seen the bracket. What is success and what is like failure and what's kind of in the middle. I'll give you my opinion real quick. We have to beat Troy. We have to.
Speaker 5: We cannot lose to a team.
Speaker 4: Like this again. We have to beat Troy. There's no argument for me that losing to Troy can be positive. It will be negative after that. Then there's a lot of X factors to me. Okay, does how healthy is Lamont Boler? How does he play?
Speaker 1: All?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Who do we get? How do the game go? The second round game? I think we're gonna be better than those teams, but I think those teams are good, So it's not like it's a.
Speaker 5: Given you're gonna win.
Speaker 4: Then if you get to sweet sixteen, if you just told me in the abstract we're in the sweet sixteen, I'm really happy with that. But then if we have to play Tennessee and we lose to Tennessee, It's gonna break my heart because who wants to lose to Tennessee. It's like the twenty fourteen game in Indianapolis against Louisville. Like you're telling me we gotta play Louisville Indianapolis. You're telling me we gotta play Tennessee. But at the same time, it would be the Sweet sixteen. So for me, the one given is we have to beat Troy. If we lose in the second round, I'm gonna be disappointed, but not like furious because of the injuries. And if we lose in the Sweet sixteen to Tennessee, I'm gonna hate it because it's Tennessee, but also recognize that I think it was an amazing accomplishment to get there, and if we somehow beat Tennessee, then to me, this is a dancing in the street kind of success.
Speaker 5: Drew, what about you?
Speaker 7: I was gonna say, I need to see the Sweet sixteen, but if it's the Valls there in the Sweet sixteen, I gotta win it. I mean gotta win that one. If you'd given me any of the other twos. Michigan State, even Rick Patino. I could have lived with going out in the Sweet sixteen, but as long as Tennessee comes out of that pod. If it's Kentucky Tennessee and Indianapolis, I have to have an Elite eight any other team, I'll live with it. But the pain of losing to the Valls would be awful. Oh be crazy, Ryan.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine in Indianapolis Kentucky Tennessee on a Friday night. It'd be awesome. That will that will be like that Kentucky ouival crap. It will be wild. It'll be wild. That'll be one of those environments if it happens that you have to be in Kentucky Tennessee in Indy, where both teams fans can get there, Ryan, that'll be like. That'll be like that Louisville game that year. That'll be epic.
Speaker 6: And that's what Mars Maddinson makes it so special. You get two teams like that with great fan bases that are all short drive in Indianapolis. I mean, you know, I said from the beginning, I would love for the team to win the game in Nashville and to make it to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. So if we can get there to that sweet sixteen game, I'll be happy.
Speaker 5: But I'm right.
Speaker 6: If you guys are right, both of you are right, You've got Tennessee on the other side of the floor. Dude, you just getting there is not good enough. You want to win that game for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, it's an interesting it's an interesting draw for a variety of reasons. I do think if you are I guess, apparently Illinois three hours from Milwaukee either way.
Speaker 6: Still a short drive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, still relatively short drive.
Speaker 4: We do have a lot of but actually fans shit, you know, yeah checking it's yeah, they're big fact checkers.
Speaker 5: But I will say this, while all of them.
Speaker 4: While we could lose in the second round, we could lose to Tennessee, weeks could certainly lose to Houston. I think, Shannon, if you were hoping to make a big run, you got the best bracket you could I think you got the best one seed you could get to try to make a run, and you have a two seed that you know very well and can clearly beat. So if you're Kentucky and you're saying, what is the bracket that gives me the best chance of making a miracle run to the final four. I honestly, Shannon, think they got it.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you couldn't be happy with the bracket that they have.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you places Kentucky as the three seed anywhere else, I think I'd take what we have versus the other options out there. So, yeah, you tell me that you got to beat Illinois to get to the sweet sixteen, I'm taking that all day.
Speaker 4: I think the two seeds, yeah, there may be one or two you'd rather play than Tennessee, But you got the one one seed I think you have a shot against and then who knows, maybe people have lost. Hey, maybe UCLA beats Tennessee before they get there.
Speaker 5: Surely happened.
Speaker 4: But first we have to beat Troe eighty five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. Text Machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. We'll talk about all the ramifications of the bracket and hopefully I can get to a place where Shannon doesn't sound like Max Headroom. That's next right here on Kentucky Sports Radio. It's the best time of the year, folks, March madness. I am here, Ryan. I think we got the thing to work, so it doesn't sound weird in my ear. Now I'm here at in Bristol at ESPN. I tell you, Ryan, you've been here with me before. Still, even after I've probably been here thirty times. Still very cool to be here, Like to walk up and down the halls and see all the pictures of the old ESPN people. There's a hallway you can walk down, Ryan, that has a screen and when you walk down, you can hit the school that you want to play their fight song, and as you walk down the hall, it will play the fight song. So I hit Kentucky's today on my way to the cafeteria.
Speaker 6: As you should. Every time you go down that little tunnel hallway, you should remember that thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's very cool.
Speaker 3: I was fastening it with it. I just kept hitting on.
Speaker 6: And I do want to I do want what we're talking about it. I do want to say something I said this this weekend, I mean last week that when Shannon's on stage, I feel like a proud papa.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 6: I turned you on last night and again I felt I felt myself like I was a proud papa again. Listened to you, admir and on the bracket jokes. I knew that was a big deal for you you're a bracket nerd, and you guys really did a great job on the show last night.
Speaker 5: You know, Shannon, you may feel this way sometimes when you're like performing and you feel like it's kind of going really well.
Speaker 4: Yeah last night, And this has happened a few times on this show, but like this is more like being with my family right on this show. Like it feels like even with the listeners, like we're all kind of a family.
Speaker 5: ESPN.
Speaker 4: It's not exactly the same because there's just it's it's hard to describe. There's a lot more stuff going on, and there's just there's a lot of it's it's a chaos and nothing is chaos like that show last night. And Ryan, I just for a little while felt like I was in the zone. Yeah you were what I mean. I just felt like that the brackets are coming, they're telling me, coaches are in my ear, like the coaches on the phone, blah blah blah, and just and it was it was really shiton I bet it's like this sometimes for you when you're performing. That it was like I felt like, Okay, I'm hit on every cylinder here. Yeah, and that was that I got out of it with like a real like high. Last night, like I thought it had gone really well. I got text from my bosses who were like, man, that was great.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: Pat Kelsey of Louisville comes on, actually makes news complaining about the seed. Mark Pope comes on, The commissioner of the bracket selection committee comes on. We kind of pepper him a little bit about North Carolina.
Speaker 6: Get a good job with him.
Speaker 4: And I actually was like, man, this this is exactly this. That's kind of a really fun thing to do in that scenario.
Speaker 3: I will echo what Ryan said. I listened to some of it.
Speaker 2: I thought thought y'all did a really good job, and particularly the Pat Kelsey interview. You kind of set them up there and he kind of vented a little bit about.
Speaker 4: Being well, that's what I wanted him to do, because I mean, to be fair, Drew Louisville got I can't I believe Louisville got an eight seed.
Speaker 5: I really can't.
Speaker 4: I mean, if I'm them, you know, all metrics had him as a five or six, I'd be very disappointed to get an eight, and to get an eight in the number one.
Speaker 5: Overall seeds little bracket.
Speaker 4: I mean, if little brother got a little bit screwed, didn't they They did?
Speaker 7: I mean it kind of proves that, as we already know, the AP top twenty five does not matter except they have a little number by your name on the scoreboard. But I noticed in their their live reaction on the selection show, Kelsey immediately with his fingers holds up eight, like what an eight seed? But I you know, I hate the cards and want the worst with them at all times. But I couldn't believe they dropped that far.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Shit, And if you don't mind, you don't have to play his whole clip, but play when I ask him, and then what his reaction here?
Speaker 5: Will you pull that up off the Twitter? Yeah? I will play it.
Speaker 4: In just a second, because I could tell he like took a deep breath rine and thought, am I gonna say this?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think I'm just gonna.
Speaker 4: Say it, you know, because he he was complaining about it. H So, I mean, I I can get and U I can get why he's upset.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: When I was watching it, Ryan, I thought, when they had b Yu as the six and there was a long pause before the three, I was and it was in Denver, Ryan, I was certain that's where we were yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was so I was like, we're gonna be the three and we're gonna play be White in the second round.
Speaker 5: I was certain Ryan, that's what was gonna happen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, that storyline of Pope against his former team. I thought it was coming to the exact moment. I was already. I even said say, look, if we're going to Denver.
Speaker 4: Yes, all right. So here was me asking the question. It's a little background. I get in. We have some coaches scheduled, A couple of them cancel, and so my producers are like, who can you get on? And I said, well, do you want Pope? And they're like yes, And I said, well, I mean try Pat Kelsey And he was the first one to say yes, Shannon, which kind of shocked me, to be honest with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then here seems.
Speaker 3: Like kind of a cool guy to say, I can't.
Speaker 5: Seem to hate him. I want to, and I can't.
Speaker 4: So here was the question. And this is like this made news. They're playing it like on all the other shows. Go ahead. I can't believe I'm saying this about my rival, the Louisville Cardinals. I think you're under seated. You may not want to say it, and I get it if you don't, but I feel like you deserve better than an eight seed.
Speaker 5: What do you think?
Speaker 9: Man? So first of all, I just want to say how fortunate we are and excited we are about playing in the national tournament representer school Inner City. You know, I'll be completely honest with you, Like when we're watching the selection show, it was like when that popped up, you know, it hurt a little bit. You know, you felt flighted a little bit.
Speaker 5: So you can stop it right there.
Speaker 4: But you rarely see coaches sort of say that Ryan and then he goes and does so that was kind of a cool thing to have happened.
Speaker 6: They have a legitimate argument that they are way underseated, especially when the committee chairman come out and told you a little bit later in the show, well had to give North Carolina a little credit for a strong acc. Well, yet then the acc kind.
Speaker 5: Of hurt Louisville, you know, a strong at all.
Speaker 4: Right, So let's shandon, let's play the Mark Pope comment from last night. So obviously a storyline, Drew is that you might get cal versus Rick in round two.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's kind of awesome, isn't it.
Speaker 7: It's very awesome. I would love to see it. It's the only scenario that has me wanting Arkansas to get out of the first round. I feel like a lot of people who are looking overlooking a first round matchup between Calipari and Bill self. That's crazy too. They've met in the Championship twice and now they're playing a first round game.
Speaker 5: I didn't Yeah, they've met in the champions twice.
Speaker 7: You're right, and you throw in the Outrunners and you have a pod of Patino, self, Caliperi and the Outrunners. That's my favorite of the entire bracket off that record.
Speaker 4: What did have been nice, Ryan if we had gotten a signed to Providence too, so that in our off game we could watch that Kansas in Arkansas and then Rick Patino versus the Outrunners. I mean, I don't think you could ask for anything better, could you know?
Speaker 6: That's that's the best pod of all that right there? For all those storylines are out there, and we would have become huge omahall fans. I know, we all would have been riding the wave of them trying to pull off an upset.
Speaker 5: Do you want Drew, you want cal to win. I'm pulling for Kansas.
Speaker 7: Are you I want cal vers Rick?
Speaker 6: I kind of do too, I really do.
Speaker 3: Rick sent him home?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would have.
Speaker 4: Let me say, if Rick sent him home, he would explode.
Speaker 5: But honestly, if cal sent.
Speaker 4: Those two dudes, those two dudes dislike each other on a level that.
Speaker 5: People just don't realize.
Speaker 4: I mean, I can't say some of the stuff that happened, but I however much you think they dislike each other, they dislike each other more than that, and it would be hilarious that one of would put the other one out.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back Kson.
Speaker 7: TJ.
Speaker 5: Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ.
Speaker 7: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 2: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 3: Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, Tukey Sports Radio. Always good to hear that music. Sad to see Shannon, Greg Gumbel not there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't the same. I thought that was a great little opening segment that they did. They're honoring him though.
Speaker 4: That was really really really nice. Hey, I'm nine two eighth twenty two eighty seven. Uh text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four one person rights Matt, My favorite part of listening to you on the on the show was the anger and weirdness you felt when Carolina made it. I think that was the shock Drew is Carolina making the tournament. I mean, there's no metric in which they deserve to be in. I saw every single mock draft had West Virginia in and then they didn't make it. But Carolina making it with the committee chair, there's just like, that's probably the biggest story coming out of it.
Speaker 7: Definitely, they made up these net rangs to make it a little more clear of why teams are in and who should be in. They put this big emphasis on these quads, all you gotta win your quad one games and what were they like? Yeah, I mean and then, as you said, the their athletic director being the committee chair makes it even more fishy that they're in.
Speaker 4: So do you buy it? They said, Ryan, he walks out of the room and had no impact. I'll believe he walked out of the room. But you know, once he walks out of the room, they all going to be like, all right, we got to do our guy solid right, Like he's just I'm gonna have to look at him here in just a minute like it had to have had an impact.
Speaker 6: It's totally laughable for them to sit there and tell you on the show last night had no effect whatsoever. That's that's laughable. Of course it did. These all guys, they've worked together, they've been together for three or four days. They knew the situation North Carolina was in, and yet they put them in there. And that's stat you said last night in the show, where West Virginia was in every single mock bracket just blew my mind.
Speaker 4: One hundred and eleven mock bracket, Shannon, one hundred and eleven, West Virginia was in every one except the one that counted.
Speaker 5: That's insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, West Virginia six quad one wins U n C one and twelve. And not to mention that their eighty gets one hundred thousand dollars bonus of North Carolina makes the n Cuba.
Speaker 5: He has to not take that right.
Speaker 8: Down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's taking he is taking it, all.
Speaker 5: Right, So let's make a bed. Is he gonna take he'll.
Speaker 6: Take it absolutely, one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: I think he's got to turn it down.
Speaker 4: You cannot take a bonus for picking yourself for the tournament.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll never know, we'll never hear, Like the story is there, that's my public records.
Speaker 5: They'll have to say yeah, but he has to not do it.
Speaker 6: But you know, like when they discussed North Carolina, he's supposed to step out of the room. It doesn't mean he's not in the room. During the lunch hour, they're having their McDonald's and they're talking about it.
Speaker 5: He goes, all right, everybody, I'm walking down slot.
Speaker 4: No you boy, you know if you want dinner to be paid for tonight anyway?
Speaker 6: Insane.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're hanging out at the hotel bar before the night. Yeah, what they're doing all right?
Speaker 4: So Mark Pope also was asked he was on the show with me last night and I asked him about the Patino cow thing. Now, what wouldn't most coaches say here, Drew, wouldn't most coaches say.
Speaker 5: I'm focused on my team. I haven't really looked at the bracket. Don't you think that's what most people would say?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, you usually don't even mention another team's names, unless it's maybe the one you're playing, because hey, you just want to avoid any controversy that you could say something be You do want to give that coach Speaker worried about us.
Speaker 6: I couldn't believe you asking the question to begin with. I mean, that was that was balls you on your part to asking that question.
Speaker 5: So I asked him the question.
Speaker 4: Here's what he says, Mark, I know you are focused on Actually scuse me, my ra, I don't care about storylines yet in the West Region, there was a world where Arkansas advances past Kansas and Saint John's beats Omaha and John Caliperi ends up facing Rick Patino in the second round.
Speaker 5: What do you think about that potential? Yes, coach coach p he liked that matchup, Mark.
Speaker 10: So I'm not going to be this is not going to be a popular take. I understand that.
Speaker 8: I'm like, why can't we be in that group?
Speaker 10: And then and then I just I just I just, you know, like out of personal Yeah. So so I'm just like, this was the ant tournament supposed to be is supposed to be about all the drama.
Speaker 4: So what do you think about that answer? I like he wanted it, he ran, he wanted the smoke. I loved him saying that he wanted to be part of it.
Speaker 6: Perfect answer, because he's thinking exactly what every one of us are thinking. We want to be there in that pod, watch that drama unfold, that could possibly meeting each other in the second round.
Speaker 4: I just like that he doesn't shy away from Andrew, you know what I mean. I mean, I like a lot of coaches be like, oh, please don't put me next to cal, Please don't put me next to Rick.
Speaker 5: And then he actually said that that's what I would have wanted.
Speaker 7: And I actually believe him too. You know, some coaches might even say something they don't believe just to you know, sound good, get some clicks here and there. But I think Pope really wanted to be the three there would have had a fun run in with un C Wilmington in the first round if we had been in that spot, a team we know so well and potentially caller Rick would have been crazy for him. But I think he really wanted to I think he's being honest.
Speaker 4: Well, we will Kentucky, by the way, places Friday at seven o'clock. The times came out Friday at seven o'clock, so you don't have to stay up until the middle of the night like we did at the SEC Tournament Friday at seven against Troy get to watch a day of the tournament before having to worry about our game. That's good, all right, who's up first, Matthew, Matthew, go ahead, Matthew.
Speaker 11: Hey yourself, guys, good morning. Can you hear me?
Speaker 5: Yes? Go for it?
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, sweet Two things real quick. You touched already on one of my questions about whether the cheer for Catalous in the first round or wait so we can.
Speaker 5: Know what they want to cheer for. Cal I'm rock chalking jayhawking during the game.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm with you. We can't have Arkansas win a single game after how things ended here. But my second thing, real quick, a buddy of mine and I've been trying to go to a game all year and the only logistical way it could have worked out is to potentially get in the Midwest region so we can go to the Sweet sixteenth and make it there in Indy. But he actually is from Chicago, so there's a world in which you can get to Milwaukee. Would you say to go to the guaranteed first hopefully second would get in Milwaukee or wait.
Speaker 5: Yeah I would go.
Speaker 4: I mean just a to be careful, but also because and I appreciate the call at the first and second round. The tickets are not hard to get when if I mean that regional Ryan, if we were to play let's say Tennessee, or even if we were to play Ucla, that regional, there'll be a lot of people there. They'll be expensive tickets. That's a huge arena. You go to Milwaukee, that's an NBA arena, small arena. I don't think it'll cost a lot to get in that second round game. If it's against Illinois or Xavier, still a big game, be on a Sunday afternoon. Probably that's the one I would say to go to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Milwaukee. I was surprised it's only seven hours. I mean, it's definitely.
Speaker 5: Drivable, nearly as far as people think it is.
Speaker 6: Same. I thought it was a lot farther than that. So yeah, I think there'll be a big Kentucky contingent. If what we saw down in Nashville is in the indication, there'll be a big contingent up there in Milwaukee.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would definitely go. I was looking for our house last night, channing, trying to find the where we're going to stay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Drew and I a princess's bed to sleep in.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think I have a really good bed. I'm not going to say where it is. I don't want somebody to steal it from us. But I actually think we have. I just got to make sure our budget from the iHeart people, but I think we have like a nice place in the district where you can walk to breweries.
Speaker 5: I feel like you're gonna be happy. Who's up next?
Speaker 3: Go to Andy?
Speaker 8: Andy?
Speaker 5: Go ahead? Andy?
Speaker 8: Can you hear me?
Speaker 5: Yes? Just assume I can hear talk.
Speaker 4: Okay, keep asking me if I could hear him?
Speaker 5: Go ahead.
Speaker 8: I was turning my bluetooth off at work. But anyways, I live in Milwaukee, so I'm definitely gonna be at the game, and it's it's not a bad driver. I've driven down the rep Arena probably a hundred times in my life get there in seven hours. So just looking at I got a couple of questions. Where are you guys? Got to do the KSR show on Friday? Decided yet, So.
Speaker 4: What we're probably gonna do is we're gonna be in Lexington at the bar Tuesday and Wednesday, uh, Thursday, we'll probably do it the show in our house wherever we are, and then Friday. I don't know what we'll do during the day, but we will do a pregame show somewhere in Milwaukee close to the arena. I don't have the place yet.
Speaker 8: Sounds good, But you're talking about tickets being h cheap for this one. I was looking last night just for the Illinois Era for the game on Friday. You're looking at three hundred bucks just to get in for.
Speaker 5: The night or the day, for the night, for the night.
Speaker 8: That's the thing that got us in Illinois playing at the same time. So that's driving off the ticket prices.
Speaker 5: Oh, I guess that's true. Yeah, well I mean it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I didn't think about that. That will actually, so take back what I just said, Drew. Maybe it won't be easy to get tickets on Friday night. I still agree with you though, that that option. I picked that one.
Speaker 8: My question is where is there Where would you suggest how to find tickets? I mean for I mean, does the University of Kentucky saw any at all?
Speaker 5: Or here's what I would do. I would wait, I appreciate the call.
Speaker 4: All the schools, all eight schools, get like four hundred and fifty tickets or something, almost all of them A lot of It's like Utah State's probably not going to sell all there, so then they'll the market will get flooded with more tickets on like Tuesday. So I would say, if you don't have it yet, hold off, wait till Tuesday or so, and I think then the tickets will come down.
Speaker 5: But you make a good point.
Speaker 4: With Kentucky and Illinois playing in the same session, it might actually be harder to get tickets than I would have thought. I didn't. I didn't make that connection. But I would still say, like, the allotments for the schools haven't even come out yet, and when that happens, there will be there will be some schools that don't use theirs, and they'll go back on the market. You know, there can only be one Since October of twenty ten, the place for quality smoke meats in Central Kentucky's Red State Barbecue. Ribs, chicken, pork, brisket, sausage. They got all you like, barbecue, nacho's beer, cheese, all mac and cheese.
Speaker 5: That's all great.
Speaker 4: Trust me, there could be only one quality smoke meat since October of twenty ten. It's Red State Barbecue, your trusted name in the barbecue business.
Speaker 5: We'll take a break. Be right back. It's KSR.
Speaker 4: Welcome back. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Actually they are right now, got it. Myern metcalf has walked in the studio. They're bringing him some headphones, so as soon as he gets them, we'll have him on here to join us. We are in I'm in Bristol, Connecticut at ESPN. Walked in yesterday. Ryan was in the system as a visitor and the woman did not think I was an employee. I was like, I'm an employee here and she said, yeah, sure you are. Like you can just see the.
Speaker 3: Look like yah, can we get that all the time?
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was like, it's okay, I understand.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: Myron's here. How you doing, my friend? I'm good man.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: So it's been a while to twenty four hours, man, but did you enjoy doing that show last night? The first time you and I have been in studio together since COVID. It was fun, Matt. We had controversy, man, it was it was cool. It was so the whole show drew. Myron was like saying he was going to go at but cunning Ham, the tournament committee guy, he was like, I'm taking him out.
Speaker 5: Then he got on there. He saw stepped him a little bit when you got on there.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know what I was supposed to say. Hey man, there's a conspiracy theory floating around. What do you think I can't do that? So he can't handle it? Well, yeah, can't he? Ryan tell me you're a reporter. Yeah, see, but I can go and talk to these people after all this.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: So I didn't want to accuse him of anything, but Ryan tell him what a reporter would do. Okay, Yeah, I don't know what that is. So you tell you you got to.
Speaker 6: Go right at him, Myron, you gotta hit him head on. He's the big dog. Please his team tournament.
Speaker 4: There's no way with done anything. It's the selection showing. He was being rated inside a dishes right, Shadan's right right would have been under the table. He would have asked one.
Speaker 6: Thing, dude, I was in my bedroom under the table. Listen, you guys talked to him last night.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 4: So your hometown is Milwaukee Midtown, where Kentucky is gonna play. So there are thousands of people listening to this, including four of us right here, who are going to be going to Milwaukee. Yes, two of these guys have never been tell people quickly what to do in Milwaukee. I feel rushed a little bit when you said quickly, well, because I know you might go you go long on the Milwaukee This is We don't talk about my hometown enough. I might say beautiful town, beautiful city. It's like a big small town. I would say, So you got to hit the lake front. That's pretty cool right on Lake Michigan. Everyone talks about Chicago's lake front. Milwaukee has a great lake front as well. I wouldn't go to the lakefront at the nine o'clock. But before then you go, us ahead and have yourself. Why can't you go after nine o'clock. It's a different crowd that comes out after nine o'clock. So I don't know if you want to be down there then, Uh. It's also just like a really cool spot. If you get a chance to go to a Bucks game, well, ibo sly a Bucks game is not gonna be happening then, But the arena us about what about food?
Speaker 5: Where do we go?
Speaker 4: So you gotta go to cops K O P P S. Right, it's down Drew, America's greatest burger. Uh, there's one in Glendale, Wisconsin, just north of Milwaukee. There's one on the south side as well. Uh All they sell is burgers, fries, custard and they have a flavor of the day and they'll put it on a billboard so you can see it. Uh. I think it's the greatest burger in the country. You gotta go to cops. An, you will go to cops. You've been talking about cops on this. You got to go for seven years. If it's not the greatest burger. But we're five, the four of us, Shannon, we will all agree to decide if it's the greatest burger. Well yah, yeah, and if it's not, yeah, I'm gonna be upset at you. But I'm gonna I'm not gonna count your vote because you go into things sometimes expecting the worst.
Speaker 5: So I'm not gonna don't you.
Speaker 4: I want to know what the other guys think, because first off, it's an experience. It's not a burger, it's the entire experience experience. You walk in and everyone it's old school. You're waiting in line. There's a burger line and there's a custard line. So don't get it confused. You got to stand in whichever line you're supposed to be in. But it's just this gigantic line of So if Kentucky fans go to Cops, can they write you on Twitter at metcalf by ESPN is that right and tell you whether or not it was worth it? They have to tell me yes, and I guarantee it will be So you think the vast majority will say it's worth ninety five percent?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: With? Ryan?
Speaker 5: Will rate? Do you?
Speaker 6: Will?
Speaker 11: You?
Speaker 5: Will you grade the cops.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent? I'm not excited about going to this place so we can give our feedback to my best brewery.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean there are a lot of little spots like I would just go uh to water Street, water water Street, Charge of the water Street. Water Street is the place to go if you want to go to like a lot of really cool restaurants. It's just like a it's a fun, fun vibe of a city and just really cool people. Man.
Speaker 5: Really, Now, when.
Speaker 4: You're on ESPN radio, anyone that calls from Milwaukee, you start yelling at them. When people call from Kentucky, I'm like, hey, it's great to hear from you.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: When people call from Milwaukee, you yell at them and tell them they're not Milwaukee enough. Ye at me, that's the issue. I don't yell at them. Beautiful art museum. They're not going. I know these guys. I can't get them to go to an art museum. I will go what's the name of the arts Milwaukee Art Arts Museum. Beautiful, beautiful. They will not go art museum. I would drive on Lake Shore Drive. Where should I tell Mario to go? Mario said he wants to go do something fun? What kind of fun water Street? I mean the fun you would expect water Street. Water Street is tourists fun. But if you find yourself off Capital Drive, I would go back to the hotel. Just just a little advice. Yeah, and listen, I grew up in Milwaukee, so stay off Capitol Drive.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Probably stay up Capital and Martin Luther King, I would say, probably gps back to you hotel. Uh.
Speaker 5: It's a great city and has a lot of culture.
Speaker 4: It's a very vibrant city, but it can also be a tough city. Uh as well. If you need church on Sunday, I can send you there Saint Paul Church. You want to go, you know, do that on Sunday morning. My man's guy us going Drew to art museums in church. He's like, I think he's making the itinerary for my mom. My parents will want me to do that, right, that's nice what they would tell me, beer and beer.
Speaker 6: We're good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he gave us that, all right. So Kentucky, you saw our little bracket. We played Troy, then either Illinois Texas Xavior. Are we going to be playing on the second weekend? It feels possible, right, possible? Are we going to be playing on the second week Are we beating Illinois Texas or Zavy?
Speaker 5: I have you? I have you there?
Speaker 4: I mean Davior's good. I will say that's a really really good team. They played great over the last month of the season. I think the problem with Kentucky is Lamont Butler's available. But what does that mean, Like, that's one of the one of the few teams where I watched them and go the second half might have a different lineup than the first half. Because injuries can happen in games. So if you tell me they're fully healthy during this stretch, they can legitimately beat everybody. But I also think this is where the injuries really start to wear a team.
Speaker 5: You were pretty outraged at Carolina made it.
Speaker 4: Everyone should be they didn't deserve it, And to me, forget the bubble Cunningham thing. I just don't think they look like a team that deserved to be in there. And you have a West Virginia squad that has wins over Kansas, Gonzaga, Iowa.
Speaker 5: State, Louisville. They should be there.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: I just think we got to change the process, man. And I love the committee, but maybe these guys aren't best suited.
Speaker 5: Why do you love the committee? I love the idea of it. Okay, I was gonna say you like, I love the.
Speaker 4: Idea, but I do think it's hard to be an athletic director and a commissioner and watch games from around the country. No, it probably is, and you know, not all of them, even necessarily basketball guys. Louisville got seated eight. You thought that was banned. Yeah, I think it's bad for Auburn. Hindlee, right, because if you have to play in Lexington, you got it. If you're Auburn and you're Bruce pron You're like, I'm the number one overall seat and I gotta go play them in Lexington. Potentially you feel like you didn't get a good deal from the committee. And if you're Pat Kelsey, you're going, why megas an eight seed? Forget Kentucky. You want to be a five or six, which is what they deserve. Drey, what do you think about Louisville and Tennessee coming to rupp Arena. I think, uh, the security situation gonna be because I feel like the n CUBA needs outside security for those games.
Speaker 7: Creighton will have one of the best home crowds in the entire entire n CUBA tournament for that Louisville game with flexing and people going.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's the.
Speaker 4: Opening game of the tournament, Louisville and Creighton, the opening game of the tournament. Ryan, what are we gonna do about ks bar being pretty much at least on Thursday Red at Orange.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be all red and Orange, no blueing there. Whatsover we had opened up for Creighton to get some blue in there.
Speaker 4: What you do, You're gonna make money, that's what you do about green. That's I glad you.
Speaker 5: Turn it down. Money. Yeah, I didn't prices come.
Speaker 4: I didn't say I didn't want to come. I'm just saying like it's gonna be weird. You don't cast the check. That's what she's gonna do. Come on, man, Yeah, the money spends the same. Byron, it was. It's good to see you. You too, man, I appreciate it. We will, we'll talk to you again this soon. We will take a break and come back here our number two in ed ESPN.
Speaker 5: This is ks R.