Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: All right. Welcome back, guys, EYL Episode twenty seven.
Speaker 3: We made seven weeks.
Speaker 2: Twenty seven weeks. Yeah, that's a fact, man. First and foremost, thank you guys for your support. It's been a it's been a tremendous journey, man. Everybody can't believe only six seven months in it, like it's crazy.
Speaker 3: That's like the common theme, like what really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, before we do anything, we gotta give a shout to the city of Atlanta. If you are familiar with the podcast, you know we're on tour right now. We're hitting all of our major markets and just doing networking events and meet and greet. So we just came back from Atlanta literally and yeah, Atlanta was crazy. Atlanta was crazy. You know, everybody came out the city shows support, We met good people. We got to give a shout out to Digital Brands Sure what is z at the end? Then the process of help rebranding and redoing our website, so we definitely gotta give a major shout out to them, and shout out to Jazz Jackson. It's simply Jackson Instagram from shot shot. She showed us major love out in Atlanta and she's actually the connected between Digital Brands, So stop by that website Digital Brands Thatt biz what is he at the end and showed him some love because those guys are amazing, they do great work. But we have a very special guest here today Sean Bullert, who his story is actually I was telling Troy like. He actually fits all of the criteria of our website, of our podcast. The podcast is the backstories of business, sports, and entertainment, financial, so he does all three. He fits all three, right, I'll give a quick over you. So he used to be a professional athlete, played for the Chargers on the NFL, and he's a real estate developer. He is a serial entrepreneur. He has skincare line. He has a bunch of stuff we're gonna talk about. And he also was the star of a TV show, star Ward TV show kind of like The Bachelor on on on we TV.
Speaker 3: So they were voted as the first African American Bachelor, the first African Bachelor.
Speaker 2: So that's that's the lion king of Bachelor in the sports entertainment right down there. So first and foremost, thank you, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 4: No, man, it's a real pleasure of being here.
Speaker 3: You know. I love you guys show. And then I.
Speaker 4: Think I reached out to you. Yeah, I was like, I was like, yo, brod need to be on your what's up?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: And uh, now it's an honor being amongst greatness. Man, what you guys are doing? You don't you shouldn't be surprised that you are blowing up this fast. I mean, you guys are going to have you guys are going to be on like TV TV, like one day.
Speaker 3: I see it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and and even if they don't see it, you guys saw it yourself. So I'm just honored to be here, and you know, let's get it.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate you. I appreciate you. So let's jump right into it. Okay. So Sean, as I said, he is from Philly and he went to Temple University, Shout the Temple, Shout the Philly, and he was fortunate enough to make it to the NFL. Right. So, the interesting thing because we interviewed the NFL player before we interview the NFL agent, and we got a lot of relationships with a lot of guys in the league. But a lot of guys, especially in the league, they reach out to me and you know, they're interested in business and interested in financial literacy, but it's not really taught to them, right because especially being a star athletes your whole life, you know, you're you're not really focused on business per se. You're focused on your sport, right, You know, it takes a lot to become a professional athlete, and even when you get in the league, a lot of times, even with a lot of financial advisors, it's more so just trust my word.
Speaker 3: Somebody else is handling the business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you actually you actually brought your first property while you were still in college, right, yeah? So all right? What made you want to invest in real estate when you wasn't even you didn't even graduate from college. And how did you actually invest in real estate? I'm assuming your income was lower being a college student, Like, howd that work out?
Speaker 3: Right? Right?
Speaker 4: So in two thousand and three, the reason I invested in it will even made me start thinking about real estates. I wasn't even thinking about real estate. I was just thinking about ball and getting on scholarship. Because I walked on the temple, I had to earn everything that I've always had. And once I was so, I was bawling and I was going to get on the full scholarship because I was a college dropout. Actually I didn't score over eight hundred on my SATs. You get five hundreds for signing your name, but I was I was a three way athlete in Catholic school all American. I fell asleep on messages. I didn't even take it serious. I didn't know it was that serious. And then I couldn't even get into the schools that I wanted to get into. So once that happened, I had to go. I went to Johnson C. Smith in North Carolina, all black school, you know, to get my grades up. I went down there. I actually was hanging with the wrong crowd.
Speaker 3: I got stabbed five.
Speaker 4: Times, and yeah, you know, fighting like we had like little gangs in college. Just like bro, like, just go to school, like I'm looking back, like y'oll, you know what I mean, Just go to school and get your degree. I went back, uh you know, I was that was the fall of ninety nine. I went back, you know, the spring of two thousand and just to show like, look, man, this ain't gonna beat me or whatever, like I'm not scared to go back. And then after that it was like, you know what, I always wanted to be better than what I was, So than this, I always should have been like at the bigger universities.
Speaker 3: I went back home to Temple. Couldn't get in the Temple.
Speaker 4: The next thing I know, I'm out of school. So I'm working at a NCO Financial, which is a bill collecting agency, and I swear to God, like this place was like full of like X cons and strippers, you know what I mean. And when you and when you and when you think about it, that's who got the gift the gap, X cons hustles and strippers, you know what I mean, to get that paper out of you know what I mean, you pay your bills or whatever. And I remember and there was a dude named like Bill. It was like this white gay guy, but he was like always in like Polo Purple label.
Speaker 3: He was one of the executives.
Speaker 4: You know, they had the the executives parking spots with the ferraris and the porches was or whatever. And then you saw a lot of people that, like I said, needed second chances or you know, if it was if there was dancers, they still needed like a way of shore a W two. So they worked there and they was hustling, and I actually learned a how the gifted gab and hustle being around that sector. After a while, I started hustling myself a little bit, you know what I'm saying. And we had like a park or whatever that we we used to like sell pounds of weed and all that type of stuff, and I started making a little bit of money. But like like anything else, like with with with women, you know, they put they bring out the the and they influenced us. And I remember my girlfriend at the time in college. It was he used to play basketball for Temple, and we were sitting on her couch and she was like, yeah, he always he had just got picked up by the Sixers. He was trying to make the team, and she was like, he always first for me in my such and such class, And that just put a fire under me, like you used to be that, You used to be the athlete, and now you know, you dropped out and you just that and the third. At that moment, I made my decision to go back to school and become what I should have been, you know, a Division one athlete. And I got back into Temple on like a preliminary basis to prove like like basic classes on probation to get back into you know, I got the noted actually, and by the grace of God, a woman that went to my church was in the emissions office, pulled some strings and got me in. Like you need angels, you know, some people say, look, some people say blessed. I think it's like those two correlating artists. They wanted the same but the two different things. And you know, and I got in, and I made the team, and you know, obviously became a full scholarship athlete.
Speaker 3: Tragedy happens.
Speaker 4: I break my femur playing West Virginia.
Speaker 3: It was a dirty play by the fullback or whatever.
Speaker 4: And next thing, you know, I might even be playing football again. At that time, I realized me always weighing the options. Football isn't forever, and I need if I'm going to be rich or wealthy, I need something that's going to make me rich or wealthy. And a friend of mine put a bug in my ear along with about real estate. I didn't really understand at the time, but my dad was a former he was a construction guy, so I kind of understood it, but not really. And I read a book that I tell everybody to read, Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and that Robert Kiyosaki, I was your book to right. That got my wheels turning on looking at economics and real estate differently because we don't, you know, like you guys, said Rasha and Troy we don't really self taught. We don't really hear about real estate in the hood and wealth building and things of that sort.
Speaker 3: Because even at Temple you weren't studying anything that had to do with real estate.
Speaker 4: I wasn't studying nothing, man. I was studying girls in football. That's what I was studying, you know what I'm saying, and plays and how to take your head off you can't across the middle. That's that was my thing. And and music, of course, But other than that. Once I started looking into that in two thousand and four, you know, I, once I came back from my injury started to play football again, I was I started looking at real estate and learning and I went to a a conference called National Grant Conference. And I tell people this my stories listening to the little details because the whole way I'm learning. But I haven't pulled the trigger yet. And I think a lot of especially the day with the microwave error, we want that instant gratification. I started thinking about real estate in two thousand and three, but I didn't really pull the trigger in two thousand and five. But for those two years, I'm learning. So I went to a place called NCO find not NC National Grant Conference.
Speaker 3: And they went from and every.
Speaker 4: Everybody has people people like this. They got hgt be people that used to be on HTTV. Even now they just go conference and conference what you call it? Even does that on the breakfast club now, Envy and starting to do that, you know what I'm saying. I shout out to him for doing that. I definitely should be one of the guest speakers. But like, and they would tell you enough that actually they would drop some free drunk gems. But then up to that point then they'd be like, all right, if you want more, now you got to give us a thousand dollars to sign up.
Speaker 3: And I would.
Speaker 4: I waited, and I went and I went to one of the things. I learned some stuff, and they was like, give me a thousand dollars. At that point in time, what happens, seventy percent of the room always walks out, right. I was one of the ones that stayed. But I'm twenty years old. I had no money, like, you know, a thousand bucks to give y'all. So I went home asked my parents. They said, boy, you crazy, you better go ahead finish college. So what I did as soon as I went on scholarship. I took out out a loan for a student loan for ten thousand dollars, and that ten grand was a refund check because I'm on full scholarship. And I took one thousand from that ten and gave it to that.
Speaker 3: To that conference.
Speaker 4: And from that conference, I learned you got a little booklet, and I learned something called a two or three k loan, and that two or three K loan I mentioned ye to mention that episode. And back in those days, which was the good old days before people messed up the economy in twenty eight and nine, you can do a stated stated stated income, stated income stated, and I just stated income. But it's a great thing if you got du share responsibility and you.
Speaker 3: Want to do the right thing.
Speaker 4: What's your thing? But you know ninety percent of people don't. Man you make you make the money. You won't go out by Bentley or you won't get into the TV. All my boys on the team, they was buying Jordan's with their little per diemed from like the checks when we would go play, and I was stacking mind.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Instead of living in the dorms, I lived at home with my mom with my mom, and I wrote, I wrote a lease from my mom to me as if my mom was renting the room in my own house, and made temple in Temple.
Speaker 2: The scholarship money that gave the scholarship.
Speaker 3: Money gave me the scholarship money.
Speaker 2: So if anybody's not familiar, I interject because I used to play. I went to the University of Hawaii. So similar situation where you have on campus housing for athletes and you have off campus housing. So a lot of schools they kind of forced you to live on campus. But some schools, like when I was in Hawaii, what they did was they gave us the check for housing and then we get apartments off campus. So the check was like six thousand dollars. Right, then let's say your apartment is three thousand. Now you got a difference of three thousand dollars, so you can just splurge on Jordan's or you can. But you was actually smart because you kept all the money because she was living at home.
Speaker 3: I was living at home. That's pretty responsible. Even like the student loan.
Speaker 5: Thing, like I know guys have done that, Like yo, I'm gonna take out the student loan for more than I really need.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna use it for something else.
Speaker 4: But like exactly like you invested in your future, invested in my future. And so I hope people listening just in this world. To just get successful, man, you just got to think outside the box and understand that everything is possible and everything is like chess.
Speaker 3: This is it's like a game.
Speaker 4: So when I was when I wrote that, when I wrote that, and understand, I hate people that say, oh I can't or no, or they always got like the first thing, well this ain't gonna work. How you know it ain't gonna work. I told the university I'm living at home. I had at least my mom wrote it five hundred a month for the room. Hey man, you gotta take it. It might be a loophole, but you gotta take it right. So once I once, once, once I did that, I learned the took out that ten grand I had nine thousand left. I had nine thousand left over, and uh I put that down on my first duplex. Yeah, and it was. It was a doozy, man.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: It looked like you know, bombs from Bad Dad. You know, it was.
Speaker 3: It was huge though.
Speaker 4: It was like three thousand square feet and I fixed it up. I ran into some problems with the builder. You know, I had a pastor. He was a he's a pastor at a church, and but he was he was had his own construction company called Kingdom Builders. And I was like, ain't no way in hell, man, I'm gonna get jipp by a pastor. And I got jip by. I ain't know what the hell he was doing. I remember walking in. This was the day that And this is fast forward two thousand and five. I got undrafted free agent from the Charges. I'm back and forth for two years, you know, on and on and off, like like being in limbo with the team. And in two thousand and five, I'm fixing up the house while I'm in school with the pastor, uh.
Speaker 3: At Kingdom Builders.
Speaker 4: And I walk in and I see three guys painting one window, one guy on the ladder painting, one guy holding the actual bucket of paint, and another and the third motherfucker watching. And that's when I was like, yo, nah, nah. And that's when I was like, you know what, I don't need nobody. I'm gonna start running my own job. So I random brands their own job. I'm training to make it to the league. I get an internship with a real estate developer in Philadelphia, and at that point this goes to the point I was we were talking about earlier, you know, Rashid Is, I saw it. I saw what I wanted to do because he was right in front of me. This dude was worth almost a billion dollars.
Speaker 2: How did you get connected with him?
Speaker 4: So how I got connected with him? It was a good question. We had a senior a senior senior seminar a billionaire brunching. It was called billionaire brunching in my senior seminar class, and it was Steve Klein of a declined company who ended up being giving me the internship. Steve Corman of Corman Communities, which is Corman is huge. I'm talking to billions. He got high rises down Manhattan, Philly. Him and his sons run run the company. Now it was a CEO of Citizens Bank at the time. And then it was sister Mary Skellion who owns one of the largest nonprofits in Philadelphia. And the night before I did my research on Steve Klein and Steve Corman, so I can walk up to him and this and Steve, Steve Corman was like he was kind of he was like, oh mega, Like dude was like too big for me to even really like nothing against all due respects to mister Steve Steve Klein, but Steve Corman was just like I didn't really relate to him as much. But Steve Klein was like cool, like real cool Jewish man.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 4: He did projects like loft projects in like Maitland, Florida, and he was he was he was huge. I mean, he's huge, but he was. He was relatable to me. And I walked up to him after we did the runching and everybody's leaving, I'm walking towards I swear I was the only student to walk towards them while everybody was leaving out, And with that told me that nobody saw themselves able to approach these cats. So, you know, take advantage of your opportunities, you know what I mean? I only have too many. I don't have too many what's the word regrets When it comes to opportunities, I take advantage to try to take advantage of all my opportunities. Only regret I have is recently when I was interviewed at UH this is fifty, I'm I'm a I'm a huge fifty cents fan and I'm walking out and he was in fifty was down there talking at the border.
Speaker 3: I should have just.
Speaker 4: Busted there, you know, Like, yo, bro, you've changed, like you have been like a driving force in my life and where I'm going. And like how much I looked up to him, cause I look up to many people.
Speaker 3: You own money for that fuck.
Speaker 4: Some money for that fifty I mean that's a good problem to have.
Speaker 3: I mean the last dude ran up for him, he was like, yeah, it ain't gonna but.
Speaker 4: I was actually in this this is fifty office though he was.
Speaker 5: But that's true too, man, Like you saw something that you could aspire to be. And that's something that we've been trying to preach. It is like it's tough, especially from in our community. You want to be something if we've never seen it, Like every day the message of athlete entertainer is put in front of us, whether we like or not like it or not. So you saw the opportunity. I mean, how many more chances would you have to sit in a room with.
Speaker 4: Billionaires, well billionaires?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: And I saw it and went for it, right, I saw it and went Actually where I just moved to I moved to it so I can meet a billionaire.
Speaker 3: And look what happened.
Speaker 4: I met the friend of the billionaire and I've been talking to him. He's really impressed. He can't believe how far I've come on my own, you know, which also left me though, And I'm coming down here today to meet you guys. He emailed me off of something that I was running by him three days ago, and he was thinking about me in the entry on to say, you know what I are where we talked about before. I think I misstated what what you should do with that property and ran it down. This dude is worth over his portfolio is o worth over a billion dollars. I'm on the train. I opened up my email. He's he was thinking of me, and and you know which is crazy. You You become the company you keep and you who you aspire to be. So back to the story, I'm walking up to uh, mister mister Uh, I call him mister Cline. He hates it because he wants to be like cool and young and uh, it's out out of respect to you know, mister client said, I love what you're doing in Maitland, Florida. I remember saying, I like those apartments, those law apartments are kicking ass down there, this, that, and the third. You know, I know I knew white people that love saying kicking ass. So I remember saying that to him and and he was like, who are you? And I was like, I'm showing bullard And I was like, I would love to intern with you. I was like, it's not my major because my major was sport record facilities management.
Speaker 3: That's another thing.
Speaker 4: When you go to college. You just get the piece of paper. You know what I'm saying, Just get it. You can be You don't even I never even used my degree. And he said, all right, well I'll see if we can give your internship. I said, look, you're on the board, you donate a lot of money in the university. Not gonna turn you away. Put the pressure on him, and and next thing you know, a week later, his assistant, who was still with him, gave me a call and they gave me an internship. I was making five hundred dollars a week and I would go, this dude has a country club with mansions around it. I was working the grounds there for like two weeks. Then another week I would work at one, I'll be a maintenance man in one of his like apartment building complexes, and then the third week I would go and then I would be suited up every day with the executives in the boardroom talking about the next projects. And that's and at that moment, one of his guys was his VP of development.
Speaker 3: His job.
Speaker 4: And this is when when you're talking about, you know, Troy, we don't see this in the hood. We don't have this as an example.
Speaker 3: His job.
Speaker 4: He got paid two hundred thousand a year to fly his to the beat the fly mister Cline's private jet around the United States to find lane that he could buy. I didn't even know that was possible. I was like, what, you don't see it like a deaths all day. Dude came in a line, came in, sued it up. First dude I ever saw that, didn't wear that woars suit, not with a tie. He had the two buttons. The two buttons opened the first time I ever saw that.
Speaker 3: So he thought that was so.
Speaker 5: He's literally just like Google mapping, trying to find land, trying to.
Speaker 4: Find land, and he was he was mister client, say hop on up. I remember mister clin coming into the office. Runner he found on some land that he was going to buy. He borts some land for like ten million, and he was like yeah. Now he's like, now I need you to go next week to Texas to look at it.
Speaker 3: Like he was like, I got you and on his jet.
Speaker 2: So did you did you keep relationships with them with him when you stayed when you was in the NFL?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kept relationships with them. And he actually took me out the lunch about almost a year ago.
Speaker 3: These guys a lot of mentors now, yeah, him, he.
Speaker 4: He, mister Klein is like he's still hard to get in contact. I got more other mentors that are that are like the White Carry has been a big mentor for me. I meant, he's a professor at Temple, but he's major. He won't even tell me how major he is, but he's super major. But yeah, these casts have been like have been mentors, you know, absolutely. So when I saw it, that's when I knew I wanted to be that. That's when it was like, your NFL money ain't ain't nowhere near this money for long, not yet, not for long. So that's why like on my Instagram, you know, showing the score. Zay underscored Bullard Is I try to.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm not no square proper dude, you know what I'm saying. Like I'm still like I'm from the streets. I'm hooking. I'm just polished, and I try to keep that. I try to take that hip hop and that polishness. But referred to real estate to make you know our can be able to understand it more. And it's I think is starting to catch on.
Speaker 2: All right, You're in the right place for that, that's right, all right, So we're going so now in the next segment, we're gonna talk about real estate in your new phase your life, all right. So now we're going to go in the second segment. And so you played two years in the NFL, and that's like right along the lines, somebody's in the NFL stands for not for long, right, because NFL players don't have a long career, right, They don't even really make that much money relative to like baseball and basketball. Right. So you play two years in the league and then you come back to Philly, and now you start your second phase of life, whereas you're a real estate developer, right, But for commercial properties. So it's interesting because we spoke of came a lot of people doing real estate right now, which is encouraging. Good. We need everything, so yeah, we got to own as much as possible we can. But you only see a lot of people on the on the development side, especially the development side as far as commercial properties. Right. So, coming back from the league, starting from scratching real estate, well pretty much you had one property, but not you know, an empire. What made you want to develop your own real estate company? And how what was the steps you took to do that?
Speaker 4: Bottom line, I didn't trust nobody, and I understood that.
Speaker 3: It's a term.
Speaker 4: It's called you have to manage the labor. And when you manage the labor or manage the work, a lot of people they trust too much in the other people with their own destiny. And when you're starting out early on, that's what you're doing. And when I told you guys about three guys painting one window, I was like, you know what, I gotta be here looking at these cats getting the most out of them. Because when people understand what real estate man as soon as that you sign that note for that loan, it's like ready to go. That interest is starting to kick in. You got to start making payments on that money. And you know you speed is the name of the game. So uh that's why I said, you know what, and now I know what it means. I'm still you know, I'm still learning. But I set up a vertical supply chain, you know, which is basically a company that is three companies within itself. So I'm the guy that does the acquisition. I got my own construction company and I got my own management company all in house.
Speaker 3: How long did it take you to do that?
Speaker 4: I did that right away. I was doing that when it was just me. I was, I was you know, all those roles. You know what I'm saying. I still and I'm the CEO. I still do that, you know what I'm saying. I got but now I'm not the guy fixing the toilet in the management three different companies, three different companies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: You got you know, Concrete Investments in LLC and then uh you know Watchman PM and those three those three companies you know, handle like those three roles. So the commercial side of it, because commercial can seem like when people commercial can be residential as well. So commercial real estate is not just strip.
Speaker 3: Malls or like whatever.
Speaker 4: You know, one story commercial joint commercial real estate can be which I do. I do most of myself is mixed use. That's the technical term. Where you got apartments upstairs and you got commercial space downstairs. And that was just always something that would appeal to me. Whish I like, I always wanted to be the dude that would like I understood early on, I think me being a part of the community, I understood how commercial space can can sway or influence the direction of a community. So a lot of people were just caring about, you know, houses or apartments or duplex. I would go for, hey, man, if I can put two apartments upstairs and then have a commercial space downstairs, that would be really dope. Also, houses, I didn't. After fourteen years doing this, I did my first house last year. That was my first house ever. I've never done just one house, a single super fan house, like an investor you invested in flip, you know, it was always at least a duplex, you know what I mean, or a four unit or six unit. Never did one house because one house to me was like it wasn't enough to put all that work in the one house and then you got the one income coming out Another thing. I'm not a flipper. I hold all my stuff, I build wealth. So I always wanted multiple forms of income coming from under one roof. Rental property, so one of property. So one of the most detrimental things you can do in real estate. And why multifamily is so great, I mean literally great, is because you now, if you have one house and you you rent that house out right or you rent that house out, that tenant leaves you have no more income. If I have three apartments under one roof, which is a triplex, one tenant leaves, I'm still making income from the second third floor of vice versa. So I always understood that I need multiple forms of income coming from under one roof. Also with that, even when you're flipping, I always try to if it was a three story house, I would say, see if I could legally zone it to make it a duplex that have two apartments under under one roof. You know why because now I make more money for the same amount of work. So if I got a three story house and now I can turn into two apartments, I can now make an apartment on the first floor and the basement. That's a bi level. I could put a two bedroom, two bath that way. I make the basement lower, make it a nice ceiling, put some egress windows in there. Now you got light coming in to that basement. Doesn't feel like a basement, feels like a lower level. And now on the second and third floor, I actually have another apartment. I would give that second and third.
Speaker 3: For a roof deck. And I still do this to this day.
Speaker 4: Now for the same amount of work that might only be able to get four hundred thousand for that house, I'm now getting three hundred thousand for two apartments. So now, and then took that same structure and added two hundred thousand to the to the to the takeout on it for the same amount of work.
Speaker 5: So at the height of this, like, how many properties will you manage at the same.
Speaker 4: Time this year alone, I'm doing about forty two units forty two actively managed. No, I actually I actually managed over one hundred units, but for this year long, Okay, you're going to add forty two I'm adding forty two units to my portfolio.
Speaker 3: Okay, how mean?
Speaker 2: How mean? Do you have a total of over one hundred yeah? Okay? And it all makes use properties multifamily. Okay, all in Philly. So how long of a process did it take you to go from zero to one hundred and something?
Speaker 4: I mean, I've been doing this for a while now, I mean, you know, like I said, a decade. You know, I've been doing it for a while. But I sold some stuff and then flipped it right back.
Speaker 2: You know, you spoke about the two or three k long do you use that a lot or that was just for the first property. I was my only Yeah, yeah, okay, So when you as far as you're financing traditional finances from the bank at this point, all of the properties that you're buying right now is from ground.
Speaker 3: Up, most of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm doing my first two three rehabs in a while, you know what I'm saying, Like like rehabs in a while, and they're cool because they're like old, like they're like the corner corner properties. One of them putting my new cafe, and they got like the brick walls. I mean it like looked like lost, like like old like factory like a little small factories. But other than that, it's been new construction. So I basically botto land go to the bank. Understand when you're financing, A bank will get give you about seventy five percent loan to value, So I don't know if your boy broke it down.
Speaker 2: You talk abou.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So basically, let's say your property is worth I'm gonna keep the number simple. If it's worth one hundred thousand dollars and the banker gives you seventy five percent, they'll give you seventy five thousand dollars to buy it and fix it up. Right, to buy it and fix it up.
Speaker 3: Me, I want my.
Speaker 4: Properties always at no more than fifty five percent loan the value that's buying it and fix it up. So when I get done buying it building it, I want to be at fifty five percent equity. So the main thing you need to do is understand how much is going to be worth once it's done. Don't worry about how much is worth right now. Don't worry about how much you're buying it for right now. Some of the properties that I've done that's worth about five You know, one of my probably is worth about five million. I got into the deal by only having on hundred and fifty grand in the total project. Now, excuse me, like six Mili. You know, because I leveraged the money, but I understood how much it was going to be worth once I build it. That is the main thing. Like you know when they say, you know, I make money when I buy land or when I buy the property. That is the rule the Bible. You make money when you buy it. So once you buy it, once you build it, and now you have that equity.
Speaker 3: So if I'm at fifty five, if I.
Speaker 4: At fifty percent, the bank is going to give me seventy five percent. That twenty five percent is my cash out. That's my money called it. You gotta have the wind built in. Yeah, to have the wind built in. I take that twenty five percent, I dump it. I'm back here the rule, that tape, I'm putting it back on the board.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm So, the bank gives you a one hundred thousand dollars property. The banks gives you seventy five thousand cash.
Speaker 3: Seventy not cash.
Speaker 4: Great world was cast. They gonna they're gonna slow roll your ass to that. So what they do, so let let me let me, let me let me break it down like this. Let's say the property is worth gonna be worth one hundred grand. Right, once it's done, it's let's say it's a house, this is and it's and let's say right now, it's a shell, and you buying a shell right now for twenty thousand. Right, it's gonna take you another thirty thousand to.
Speaker 3: Fix it up.
Speaker 4: Now that is, you bought it for twenty you fix it up for thirty. It's worth one hundred. Bank is now gonna turn around and give you seventy five thousands.
Speaker 3: You're built twenty five.
Speaker 4: So now that twenty seventy five, that twenty five thousand dollars is going, that's your money. They're gonna cut you a check. Now, they're cutting you a check, But that thirty the ain't gonna cut you a check. They're gonna say, all right, get the the demo and the framing done first, and they will come out and give you a draw.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So when they say, you know, you know you do need some money to make money in this business, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Or you gotta have a good a great contractor. That is another thing. Have a great contractor, and a great contractor is worth every penny, even if you're paying more down the street. A great contractor would take you to the touchdown, holy grail, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 5: So, what's the time frame Since you're developing and you're putting the frame, what's the time frame on on ground up.
Speaker 4: I'm one of the fastest builders, I believe in the country. I just built thirty thousand square feet in seven months. This guy's taking two years to do that. I got a great crew. I always want. I told you, man, that money, once it hits is ready to go. So I would say normally if it's a house you want to be in and out of, like a dependents. That's so hard because it depends on the size of the project. I mean, that's thirty thousand and seven months. That's pretty impressive. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. So, but that comes with tom too. That comes with time too, or having a having a great builder, you know what I mean. And some guy that's all they do. They just can they just are contractors.
Speaker 3: Drawn up the plans for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got architects, So I have architects that drop up the plans. Early on, I would draw my own plans, my my my architectural plans.
Speaker 3: Early on was going to a property.
Speaker 4: I would spray paint the layout and then I would say follow that, and my guys are followed.
Speaker 2: So like for then he said something interesting. He was saying that his networth I think it was like over like twenty million in probably something like that. But he said he's net worth rich cash flow poor because it's hard for him to get loans from the bank because on paper it looks like he's worth a lot of money, but he's not keeping a lot of money. He's not showing a lot of money because the money's constantly going back in. You run into that problem, or because you get traditional financing.
Speaker 4: So after you as a developer, you always want to be cash poor. I'm I'm cash, I'm cash flow. I hate the word rich. I'm cash, but I'm cash flowing like great. But I have, you know, debt, good debt, the cash in the bank. I'm not supposed to keep cash in the bank, you know what I mean. People gotta understand money ain't yours. To keep money is to throw back in, and you do run it into run into those I used to run explain it.
Speaker 2: I don't want that's very important what you said. Can you fully explain that? Because I remember Dan Dad said that before, like I'm put my money back in the street. You know what I'm saying, I'm never gonna hold money. A lot of people don't fully understand when he said that, but.
Speaker 3: Even Fernando said that.
Speaker 5: He was like, anytime I see money in my bank, I thinking I could be using that somewhere else.
Speaker 4: Can you explain that? Like you gotta constantly put the money back in. You gotta constantly put the paper back in.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: You gotta you know, like I gotta say it, willing and dyling. You gotta constantly be willing and dealing, you know, smart, smart, but willing and daling. So if I got money and I'm holding in the bank right and I'm just watching the bank and look prettier with it, I got a million dollars in the bank.
Speaker 3: Earns, what's up?
Speaker 5: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works, Like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds.
Speaker 3: Odds are they're using Square.
Speaker 5: We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless, whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one.
Speaker 3: Of our merch partners.
Speaker 5: Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more. That's Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring the safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need is looking.
Speaker 4: Pretty that million dollars need to be like little soldiers out working for me. What is it doing for me is losing money due to inflation. So I need to be finding more deal or if I make it then Uncle Sam will come and try to take it right, So I need to be putting it back into a deal to make me more money. So that's it's just a normal concept. Money is not yours to like keep. Money is as soon as you get it. It's a reason why you pay your bills and why you pay this, and why you pay that, and you get it again and now.
Speaker 3: You gotta pay people or whatever.
Speaker 4: That's the purpose of Once people start understanding that money is meant to be used, not ardered, you'll start making You'll start seeing your business and things grow. Money is also for to invest in people. I don't I have a small staff. Your people is going to take you to the to the promised land. My contractor my content, my forming man.
Speaker 3: That dude, you know those guys. Man, they make more than doctors.
Speaker 4: But you know what, they treat my stuff like it's theirs. I mean, they'll come. It's raining. We don't even have the plumbing service in one of my apartment buildings. This is a big you know, it's a five thousand square foot roof. He's going over there in the middle of the night to make sure that the water pump is well is working.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's not even his property. But that's the type of guys you want working for you. That's me and I was with this dude. I've been investing in this guy for seven years, you know what I'm saying, when he was starting out his little company. So you always is willing and Dylan, you always just putting the money back in to grow your business.
Speaker 3: This is like you got to like real all money in campaign.
Speaker 2: Now it's all money. And that's why when he said that, it's more. It's bigger than just the wrapping slogan, like it's all money in and that's I'm glad you said that because people people do all the time. We spoke about it with Chris Gotti, where people skim on the point things and they don't want to pay people or they don't want to put money back into their business. They want to just live off of that money. Like you know what I mean, It's like selfish. They get a thousand dollars. Now they want to go to Miami for the weekend. Like, now we're in business, you gotta put that money back in. You might not really be able to fully ball off of your business for two years, three years, sometimes even five years, but in that time it's like a snowball effect. The problem is that you keep taking money from it, You're never going to chance to grow. It's always going to be where you started at exactly. It's always gonna be where you started.
Speaker 4: Vacations, man, like my vacation, I haven't even been overseas yet. I've been to jama life. In life, I've been to Jamaica and I've been I've been there, and I don't recommend that, but like it's I don't need a vacation for my life because I love what I do. You know, I remember ray Lewis told me he's you know, he's like and he says it a lot. He said, my work is my grind.
Speaker 3: He's in.
Speaker 4: My grind is my relaxation. So when I was worried about something, it would and I would you know, some people run from it, I would. I would run to it, you know what I mean? Like me, relaxing is me building the property. That's like Aligo didn't he didn't take a vacation for twenty years. Aligo didn't go to riches black the richish black person in the world.
Speaker 3: That's my point.
Speaker 2: He's worth like twelve million dollars Nigeria. His first he didn't take. He did't taking a vacation for first twenty.
Speaker 3: You know he went.
Speaker 6: When he went, took it Miami, Miami exactly because it's like it's like, yo, I don't need I got, you know, friends and girls was all you kind of come with me, die being and this and I'm like, man, I like it looks nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's cool, but it's.
Speaker 4: Like, yo, I got, I got thirty toilets coming next week.
Speaker 3: I gotta I gotta make sure I hit that mark, you know.
Speaker 4: And it's like because that when that refund, when that refinance.
Speaker 3: Check come, that's my that's that's man.
Speaker 4: That's the real vacans ain't that's feeling better than sex, man, that's better than the.
Speaker 3: Orgasm at the new property. Yeah, so the new property you got.
Speaker 5: But before we go to new property, we got to talk about the commercial space.
Speaker 3: Right you said mixed use property. You started cafe and lounge with the college classmate or did you guys know each other through school? No? No, I started.
Speaker 4: I started myself, but I brought a cat on who who is known in the city to like open up, help open up restaurants. Once again, it didn't work out, but he helped me open it. He didn't know what he was doing with management wise, but he helped me open it. And then once it was open, I found he didn't know what he was doing management wise. Once again, I had to learn on the fly the restaurant business in a matter of weeks. And but what I tell people to do, first of all, the first, diversifying is a bad word. You know, you look at the richest people in the world. They only are good at one or two things, right, You don't You don't see Mark Zeckelberg, you know, starting to open up fried chickens spots or whatever. That dude he Facebook Facebook, Facebook Facebook. Oh okay, this is a one off of Facebook called Instagram. I'm gonna buy you for a billion now Facebook and Instagram, Facebook and Instagram Amazon Amazon, Amazon, Amazon Amazon, And then okay, that's whole foods. Are we gonna buy whole foods? Because we start once we became the richest company in the world. Now we can buy whole foods. Now, let you know how important real estate is. What is Amazon doing? They buying up mad real estate because they gotta find ways to make wealth. I don't care what level you on. That's why they y'all unfortunately lost the New York was about to get on.
Speaker 5: We covered that Amazon like real estate wise, like that all of people don't notice. But they're like buying up old malls because malls like traditionally were built in the like the hubs of cities. Right, but as retail space is closed, Amazon's coming in like we don't need to build the infrastructure. It's already here right now, since they're trying to move from two dayship into now same day shipping.
Speaker 3: Now they have the mall that's right near you, just to deliver it. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's about to be. They they about the they rule the world. They're about to get ruled the world, like for sure. And and but it also shows even though the money they turn they worked one trillion dollars, not one hundred billion, that worth one trillion dollars, they still need to park their money in assets called, and that's why they're coming around saying, look, we're gonna put a billion dollars and build three towers, thirty three towers in this city, in this city, because that's real estate, real estate, and one of them is the most important. Like acid, you can you actually own. So with common grounds, with my cafe. Back to that, I got tired. I just always wanted, like I said, you know, the commercial aspect of things always appealed to me. So my first commercial venture is Studio forty four, my hair salon. That was that was my first commercial venture of on a three a four unit building. And in the in the fifth unit is I made a beauty salon and we're redoing that right now and about the revamping and reopen it next. I just saw and started going. I never drank coffee, you know, for my whole life until two years ago. And the only reason I started drinking coffee is because I started liking coffee shops. I started liking how they looked in the in the vibe and then you know, you see the honey's coming in, people doing their work, and it was real ine lectures.
Speaker 3: It was like a whole vibe.
Speaker 4: It was a whole vibe, and I was like, I don't like coffe because I don't want to stay my TV. I said, but you know what, I need to start drinking it. I need to start feeling it. I need to start getting used to how it feels it being here, how the machines look, and how fast people should be in and out. Because I'm going to invest in my own spot. And then I couldn't get Starbucks. I couldn't get like other you know, the smaller than Starbucks with bigger name spots to come into the neighborhoods.
Speaker 3: I invested it into the hood.
Speaker 4: So I said, you know what, man, you know I'm going to open up my own We're not even asking even asking no more. And I did it. It's a but I took a risk small enough for me if it failed that it was like, okay, I'm only out thirty grands. I mean, I'm only out eighty eighty seventy thousand dollars. It's a write off, and I can just rent the space out to somebody that does want to do a coffee shop, or I could just rent the space out to somebody else and just collapse it. And it's a learning lesson. Actually, started working out, you know, and I call it common Grounds, and it's a millennial based cafe that all I feel like Starbucks that you see them trying to revamp. But Starbucks to me remind me of like old heads and like older people and like.
Speaker 3: The baby boomers.
Speaker 4: And it got the it's Starbucks with a lot of other individual coffee spots are now starting to take takeover, like people want those cool hip coffee spots. And I said, there's nothing no coffee spots pertaining to the millennial and college base. So I made my coffee spot look like like a tattoo pollor or like a lounge. And we call it common Grounds because it's in the area that's gentrifying. So it's a common space that people can a ground that people can come and mingle, you know, from all different nationalities the way the way the world. And then grounds tie in with the coffee. So we got cool neon lights, we play you know, intellectual stuff, We played Drake, We got traps Saturday saturd Days or whatever.
Speaker 3: It's adop money humans a common grounds three three.
Speaker 2: You know, you know what Albert Einstein once said, imagination is better than informational knowledge, right, and The reason why you said that is because especially to be an entrepreneur, you have to have creativity, right. And that's one thing I like about Just from listening to you, I could tell that you're a creative person, right, even from taking the money from your scholarship and using it and for enaggling that and thinking about different things. And I think that that's one of the biggest things. A lot of times people want blueprints on how to be an entrepreneur. There's no blueprint for it. You got to be creative and use your God given ability to think on your feet, right. And that's one of the things that you know a lot of times in our day to day life. You know, we have families and you get a job and you're so tired. What it does is it drains your creativity and it takes your ambition away and you just get used to your day to day life, right. And that's one of even for me being an entrepreneur, that's what I love the most because I have freedom to think. Like you don't even realize that you don't have freedom to think until you don't. Like it's set up from nine to five, kid, you walk your door. You don't have time and think. You know what I'm saying, The average person don't have time to think. And that's so powerful. Like when we talk to people, that's like one common thing, Like I could just tell you a lot going on in your head, and I encourage people take a half an hour, take an hour out of your day and just meditate, just think, like you never know what you can come up with, Like what ideas can come up with. Everybody has a million dollar idea. You just have to actually be able to put it together.
Speaker 4: Put it together exactly what the richest dude in the world, Bezos who on Amazon, right, guess what his morning ritual is, meditation. He wakes up and he sits in the bed and just thinks.
Speaker 2: Now you have to That's that's his blueprint. You have to.
Speaker 3: He's just a man. Now.
Speaker 2: It's the best feeling the world. I do that every day. And Kanye actually said that too, right where Kanye was like for the first half an hour hour, he don't do nothing, He just thinks. And a lot of times people can't relate. It's hard for people to understand a creative if they're not a creative, right, But once you get in that zone, you understand like this is powerful. I tell Troy that my summer is a little different because I have to take my son to camp. But during outside of that, I get to think for like a half an hour hour and it changes your whole day, It really does.
Speaker 4: You never feel more of the live than that.
Speaker 5: The environmental change too, Like I was in an environ I teach, So I was in an environment in the city.
Speaker 3: It was like just making it through the day. It was like, yo, that is that's the.
Speaker 5: Wind, right And then I changed, right, man, I went to a different school district and like, I don't know, like my.
Speaker 3: Mind has been free to think.
Speaker 5: Like so like even doing this, like the podcast in itself, it was like I got so many ideas because like my environment, that's freaked me up.
Speaker 2: That's that's another thing too. Not to get off topic, but we're not all topic. We staying on course is that everything plays a part, even small things. So he used to be a teacher in the Bronx, right, and I'm a financial advisor. So he asked me to come to speak to his kids. And I'll never forget. When I went to the school, they have bars on the window and I had to get checked in from a security guard life. How they supposed to learn this and vive. I feel like I'm in jail. I feel like I'm going to jail.
Speaker 5: Down to the paint, Like the paint is blue, just like jail. They got the metal de textants. You gotta walk through. We're talking about ten year olds. That's crazy coming through on a daily basis.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Forget of all the things that they saw coming to school. Now they got to go through this bars on the windows. There's no going outside like you in from nine eight thirty most times to three thirty.
Speaker 3: It's like.
Speaker 2: But it's a reason. Like if you ever go to like any of these tech companies, there's no it's like an open space and fire white walls.
Speaker 3: It's a reason space you could you could think better. That's crazy.
Speaker 4: That's a great point, man, And that's one of the reasons why I tried so hard to to be successful, is because to give back to that type of thing.
Speaker 3: You know, I was the police district and around where I invest.
Speaker 4: That they did their first which I thought was dope first community outreach cookout and for it to be a police district to do that in a black neighborhood to have a black party. That was like amazing, And I funded the whole thing for the police district.
Speaker 3: And just to see.
Speaker 4: Those kids, you know, with the balls, and then the swat team was out there so the kids can go through the swat car. I'm a big I love like army. Anybody's listening that is a police officer or in the army, I appreciate your service. And uh, just to see that was dope. And they saw black man handing the big check. I told the captain, I said, I want the big lottery check when out on stage.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. You are really the Broad Street bully. I'm the Ghost of Philly ghost.
Speaker 4: I get called Ghost of Philly. Yeah, my life is a little it's very similar. So yeah, and for them to see that in my coffee shop the other day, I got posted on my Grammar and coffee shop or whatever it was these three three black kids or whatever. And I listened to my coffee shop. I get a lot of college students in there, so it was you know, and we we we're definitely we're very affordable, but we do like the lattes, like like high.
Speaker 3: End coffee stuff. You know.
Speaker 4: And I had three black kids that walked in and they uh and they was like, yeah, man, you know we don't want no, I want some healthy food.
Speaker 3: And I was like, you want some healthy food? I was like, what you like? What you want that we got?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: I was like, you might like a barbecue chicken. I mean a buffalo chicken wrap. You know what I'm saying. I can give you that. And his friends was like, I want some pizza. He was like, nah, I take that. I said what you got and he was I got five dollars? I said they cost seven and he was. I was like, I was like, I want you five hours. I spot you the other too, because I wanted to teach him like everything you do gonna cost and and we ended up giving everybody coffee, so gave him free coffee and that and they was like they eating and he was like, what you work here, that's that's the mentality. And I said, no, I own it. And they was like you own his place? I said I own it. He said no, you own his place. I said, yeah, man, this is my spot. Like these white people they work for me. And he was like and they couldn't believe it, and like you know, I'm getting like emotional right now. That was why I do it, you know, that's like one reason why I do it. I don't do this for the money. The thing that makes me like the most favorite is when I have bankers, and most of my bankers have been white. I have some black that believe to invest money in me. A tattic, big like football looking black dude, you know what I'm saying with with with with a mohawk, with a hair bun, you know that can recognize I'm intelligent enough to play that type of development game and then I'm able to give them their money back and make them hole.
Speaker 3: Or when I had.
Speaker 4: People moving into my space that I created, you talk about being created. I see myself as an artist, not as a real estate developer, you know. And people are moving into the space that was once dirt, and now they're moving in and they're enjoying themselves and bringing their friends over to check out what I built for them. That's that's gotta beat. That's you know, that's where the enjoyment. The one house I told you guys about that was my first house I ever built. That was to an army vet you know, him and his wife and I gave them like a good deal on it for like a thirty grand below the price because I made it. I still made a killing it on the property. And and it was right before Christmas and they was able to get in it for the holidays like those are. That's why I felt like the universe continues to bless me where I am, where I'm at. You know I've turned I got two young black brothers out and turned them into millionaires and investing in real estate. That it came in my office, you know what I'm saying. I had them intern for me, and they went out of their own shot to Patrick and yeah, man, that's that's.
Speaker 3: What it's about.
Speaker 2: So you knewest project with the how many how many units?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Twenty two units?
Speaker 4: All the loss, the four lots, the four lots total it is a total of twenty two units and a total of about three thousand square for your commercial.
Speaker 2: So twenty two unit apartment building. Yeah, can you talk about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's talk about it.
Speaker 5: So that that didn't come without a few food bumps in an absolutely, and you know the city was.
Speaker 3: On your back.
Speaker 4: The city is on my bag, bro.
Speaker 5: The reason they're on your back because they're saying that you got the property undervalue. So they're saying that, you know what, it praised for one hundred and fifty thousand to two hundred thousand dollars and you got it well under that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a behind the scenes story that they didn't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, so, first of all, it is a political anytime it's an election year in Philly. In anytime it's an election year, you know, people just try to pull up during all that type of stuff. But to make a long story, make a long story longer, it was they basically gave me that properly a praise at first for like and I'm not gonna talk say too much on it, but they gave it a praise ad like one hundred and thirty grand I put down a check for like thirteen thousand dollars back then and at that and they took it the ten percent down and signed it, saying the contract.
Speaker 3: That's a contract. At the end of the day.
Speaker 4: You know, you can sue for something called specific performance at that point in time, and I didn't. Once I put the check down, I'm thinking everything is cool. Like three months four months later, they hit me up and was like nine hundred and thirty grand. It's too cheap, man. I'm like, yo, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So I'm like, all right, whatever.
Speaker 5: The Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority, that's who came back the way way, we give that to you.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah right, And I was like, all right, well, let's see they went from one thirty to four nine. And I'm like, wow, hold up right, hold up, hold up really so so I'm like, I'm like, yo, na, man, you guys did this like I you know, we can It was at a standstill.
Speaker 3: Make a long story short.
Speaker 4: You know, they came down on the number I came, came, came high, high up, paid over half. They even meet me halfway, and ended up paying three hundred and seventy thousand dollars for the land. And one of the reasons why they they went from four ninety to three seventy A big part of that is because I was able to show and this is about I said before about knowing what real estate is worth, knowing.
Speaker 3: What your stuff is worth. Study your craft.
Speaker 4: You know, you hear people say that all the time. Study your craft, study of your craft. I'm a great negotiating big in part because I know a lot of times, I'm not perfect. You know, I done made a lot of mistakes. I'm going to make even more mistakes. But I know what the real estate is worth. And at the time, the zoning for those lots, even though they were big, the zoning didn't allow you to take advantage of the true size that you can build. So I can build a big building, but I only can put two apartments in it when it's big enough for three. Just to make it easy for you to comprehend, because the zoning laws had changed for just that slit of a moment, and I was able to tell and show improve to the redevelopment authority.
Speaker 3: Yo, look at this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, down the street sold for that because the zoning allowed them to take advantage of a building that size. You know, they allowed to put three units in the building that size. Now municipalities y'all changed, they changed the zoning code.
Speaker 3: I can build a billing that size.
Speaker 4: But I'm still only gonna be able to put two units in it, so it ain't really worth what that is. And they did their research. On top of saying, like you know what, we actually really could get sued too because we did cash that check. For thirteen and they came down only at twenty five thousand a lot. That's still ain't a lot of money. I still paid one hundred basically one hundred ninety two thousand and five a lot, you.
Speaker 3: Know, twenty and sixteen. You know what I'm saying. Fast forward?
Speaker 4: You know I built one put common grounds in the other, and that they see this big apartment building coming up, and I was like, oh, you got it for cheeks.
Speaker 3: We didn't know, you.
Speaker 4: Know, another developer probably hating because he's salty, you know, definitely salty or some or you know, somebody mad at such and such council person or whatever. I ain't listen, man, Like, you know, I didn't even know that.
Speaker 3: The counselman. They trying to tell you to a counselman. They're like, anyway, he had to push the button to get this to Feld. Yeah, he does have to push the button.
Speaker 4: He support He supported me, but it was that was it, like you got to support every developer. But making long story short, it's because a black man was playing white man's game and doing well.
Speaker 3: Off of it, and that was supporting you was black also.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly like what's the problem.
Speaker 2: Because the counselman was black, black cudent. It's like they gotta be.
Speaker 3: The gotta be a conspiracy. It can't be like.
Speaker 4: This is a thorough, a dope real estate developer that improved itself and is now, you know, proving itself again with a great deal. It's not like I got the land for free.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I still paid four hundred thousand, you know, and phil it for some dirt in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: So prevails so that it's never gonna be a smooth ride. It's always gonna be up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Business put me on the map even more, got my street crowd up, you know what I mean, made even more of a legend and a and a young o g and again I tell him the title of the other building. The title of the building is called the Bullard. It is why not? You know, I love the ring.
Speaker 2: Trump could call his building the Trump Towers.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: Why not? It is legacy, legacy, hustle for your last thame, as my tea shirt says plugged.
Speaker 3: Can you talk about the.
Speaker 2: Skin care line?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So the skin care line is that's this is gonna be funny. So I came out. I did a in.
Speaker 4: A song called Zaddy What you call, right, you know creative, you know what's funny?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: I dressed up like a pharaoh and I had these girls in my in my joint, and you've made the video this rapping. This is before blood line, this is for this right, and we shot at party in the Milano store. You ad the Milano.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, she's doing some big things.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, And that was like what my former girlfriend, she was behind the desk, she's she's you know, my quyt is is bad as hell, and I had her in this joint. He's sitting down and I warped back to from the Egyptian to the future to get my Egyptian like like goddess. Goddess is like red bottoms. That's what a zaddy? Do you know what I'm saying? You buy now warped back? Oh, this is the video, right, we gotta we gotta see this. So it's some funny that the song is funny. I got his own iTunes everything right anyway, So at the time, make this wrong or whatever, you know, it's so stupid, so ratchet, but being but then I see, you know, it's funny. But then I see Drake and Migos having Jerry curls and trainer giants.
Speaker 3: So I was like, yo, I'm in.
Speaker 4: The clear, right, So so make a long story short. I told my I told my my, my lawyers who are in their my IP lawyers, intellectual property lawyers in Miami, and I told him. I said, I was like, look, I want to copyright my songs. They say, copyright it. And then my song was like Zaddy's Daddy, Daddy's as copyright that because I don't nobody saying that, right. So then I fly down there. And before I fly down there, I went to CVS. In the CBS, I'm walking down the men's aisle because you know, we all got beards or whatever. And it was my first time I ever saw that they had the men's section for like self carried and bears like actually dressed up nice in the pilling. Normally, the men's sections like the little hole in.
Speaker 3: The wall in the corner you got to ask somebody.
Speaker 4: And the women's joint is like come and get it. They got the models, they got the bright lights, the led around it, and I was like yo, and.
Speaker 3: It was dope. And I saw like all these.
Speaker 4: Bear cares and I saw like, you know, like rejuvenation and like the shaven stuff, and.
Speaker 3: It reached out to me.
Speaker 4: So I fly out of Miami and I meet with my lawyers every time I go down there or whatever, and we're sitting down, I said, you know, I gotta take something off this Zaddi name. I gotta like make more off of it.
Speaker 3: I was like clothes, and you know, I was closed.
Speaker 4: And she started explaining to me. And then at that spec second in their office and my lawyers you know, they they bad too.
Speaker 3: They got the creative space.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, you know, Brianna And after the Brenda's to Brianny and Shammy LP in Miami and they was like, and I thought it back to CVS and I was like, fucking men's skincare.
Speaker 3: And they looked at me.
Speaker 4: I looked at them like, y'all, motherfucker's been not still my idea And they looked at me like, yo, that is a great idea. And I was like, I want to get on it right now. Started trademarking it, started doing this, that and the third because I understood the brand and the names. Well people it was like, people are like, what don't call yourself Zaddy?
Speaker 3: Why you did this with Zaddy.
Speaker 4: Like you guys not thinking when you google what Zaddy means. A guy pops up on a car and says, sexy, uh, sophisticated, fashionable man.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: If I walk in and I came into you with an idea and say, hey, I own a body wash called Old Spice, I would have to explain to you what old Spice means and why it's going to be appealing to men. Old Spice is one of the biggest last long and brands in history. Zaddy already has a term that means sexy, sophisticated, fashionable man. Zaddy already already is used by the broggers in Hollywood. Who's the top twenty five? Zaddy's Brad Pitt He just Alba. You know they'll say Michael B.
Speaker 3: Jordan.
Speaker 4: You know they might even say Sean Bullard anyway, So suck so you got you got dadd dollars songs. He came out with a hit song called Zaddy You Got the Shade Room.
Speaker 3: This is Zaddy. So it's like, what's going on.
Speaker 4: And that's what my that's my job when I'm doing with this brand of Zaddy for Minskin here is he didn't want to like First of all, all you guys in this room is handsome men.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: You know, like it's cool for us to be like yo, man, like we provide. Zaddy is basically I want to I'm making it and I'm basically it's a slow grind. It's gonna take like a year to get out or whatever. The first thing was getting a trademark, but to show you know that we are, like I said in the back, it is a Zaddy is a guy who's attractive and fashionable, a gentleman who believes in the old school value of chivalry, a provider, sophisticated but tough. That's me, and I believe it's a lot of men that are like that. And and you know, there's nothing wrong with saying, you know, hey man, you know I provide for my family. I provide for my lady. And that's what as Zaddy is. I just took it to the level of business because the brand makes sense as a skincare product. So going back to real estate, I want to be a billionaire one day. And to me, when you look at Colie Jenner, she's a billionaire because she is selling her brand, that lipstick that she got that same listic is being sold for five dollars somewhere, but she's stamping her name on it, putting some colors to it, and she's charging it for thirty five to fifty five dollars right because of the brand. So if this already means a guy that cares about his looks, a guy when a girl walks in the room is gonna be like, ooh, Zaddy or whatever. I have this skincare line to provide that brand. Now, when you look at I look at everything I said with real estate, subscription base, everything is going subscription base Amazon. So a lot of guys with Shavers, they.
Speaker 3: Don't even come out.
Speaker 4: They check every bank account every month thirty bucks, get the shavers in the mail. Or if you got supplements, I'm in the gym a lot. All my supplements come. I'm a subscription fifty bucks.
Speaker 3: I get my.
Speaker 4: Proteins or whatever in the mail. Same thing with Zaddy. So if you do the math right and Zaddy minskin care don't even have to be in Nemen, marks don't have to being targeted just off of the subscriptions. Now, how many minutes in the country, like two hundred and twenty million. If I sell a package for sixty bucks subscription and you get the Oregon beard oil, you get avocado face cream, which is a rejuvenation. Let's say you get like the lotion or the body wash which is Holmo Safety and that's what we call it then, and my clear off of that, and I just get two hundred thousand subscribers, just two hundred and my clear off of that is twenty thousand off of sixty bucks because a lot of your money gets eaten up in supply chain and all that too. Stuff on a two hundred thousand on the twenty thousand, that is four million thousand a month cleared a month, not a year, a month because of the brand in this name and this meaning it's.
Speaker 7: Not funny anymore now can I invest in that. It's a different joke.
Speaker 4: So these are the things of being creative, you know, when it's just saying you have to start being comfortable being uncomfortable. And I've always been comfortable being uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: I've never I just heard.
Speaker 5: That somebody said your life starts when you're comfort us, when you're comforting.
Speaker 3: I've never been more live in my life.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: When I see myself in those newspapers and I got you know, this person calling me and I'm like, Yo, they trying to talk about bribing people and all this man.
Speaker 3: That's when I bow up and I was like, Yo, I'm willing and dealing. Now let's have it. Let's let's go. You know what I mean. When people was.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, you can't call yourself daddy, why is your Instagram showing underscore Zaddy underscore Bullard, I'm like, I'm like shick. I'm like, first of all, you can't tell me what to do with my name. That's number one. People got to stop telling people that. People got to stop listening to those type of people. Number Two, it's like you'll see it ain't funny after a while.
Speaker 3: A lot of people get it though.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. So the skincare line is coming.
Speaker 3: Out next year.
Speaker 4: We're done of done making the prototypes as amazing. It's all natural, organic. We have a rejuvenation. I'm a thirty eight year old man that looks like you know, black do on crack. I look like I'm twenty eight, and I want to keep looking like I'm twenty eight, So I have my whole line is called Immortality, and the Immortality line is like the AVOCALLDO face cream. I got the serum. I have the I cream for like the passes or whatever. We have the Orgon beard oil, you know what I'm saying. And we got the charcoal and body, the charcoal and coconut scrub or whatever. We got the shave butter lotion. It's cool names. It's high end stuff and I want to make it affordable. And you know what, it came to me and it made sense. If business makes sense to you and you catch on to it easy, that's something it's worth taking a risk on, you know. And for all people out there. It's not about patents. Trademarks are so much cheaper and trademarks are undeniably one hundred percent for like our tamper proof. You cannot tamper with a trademark. You know, patents. People can get around it, like vanilla ice.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 4: My jone was done done done, done, done, done done done. You know what I'm saying. Like you can get around patents. You up a sugar count down a sugar count just that and the third. But trademarks is your trademark.
Speaker 2: That's powerful, that's powerful. We want to thank you, thank you for coming.
Speaker 3: Everybody who comes to episode.
Speaker 2: For sure? Man, can you oh yeah, we're gonna do that. Can you tell the people your social media handles and how to reach you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: The social media handle is uh sewn uh that s h A w N underscore zady z A D D Y underscore Bullard b U L L A R D all Right, cool cool, Troy common Grounds, Philly. The Bullard should be Yeah, Bullard should be opening in a few weeks now. It will be opening a few is it be done in August first and then to be opening probably like August fifteenth, just.
Speaker 3: In time for school in town, just in town.
Speaker 4: For school, even though we don't got all college students in there, but just in time for school Troy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So shout out to everybody that's on Patreon, all our patrons that supporting the podcast. We got some new ones this week. Just want to shout out Robert, Johnny and Serita. As you know, Patreon is a proud of paid program if you want to financially support the podcast so we can come to cities like how we just left Atlanta and we got a few more cities that we need to touch. So keep supporting. We'll keep adding the content on there. We kind of we had a busy week last week, so extremely we know some some phone calls and we're gonna we're definitely gonna reach out. Shout out to Crystal who's in Japan. She reached out from Japan, so we're trying to figure out the times to get out.
Speaker 2: That was dope. Atlanta was dope.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: We did a networking event in Atlanta and somebody from the Virgin Islands came. Awesome, Like just for the networking event, we had people like drive two hours, people coming from Tennessee. So it's crazy, man. We we we really appreciate your support and especially in a short period of time for you know, to have that impact. But it's because we provide an information and bringing people on like yourself. So we gotta thank the guests and thank you guys for checking us out. Don't forget the merch for sure. Our merch shop is up early leisure dot com. I'm wearing the merch choices, wearing merch. We gotta give you a shirt before your day for sure. And the book Tip of the Week is a book called The Twelve Week Year. So the theory behind the twelve week Year is that you know a lot of times we set goals. Most of the time you set a goal January first, for the year, right, ninety five percent people will never actually reach their goal because it's too long. Like if you have a goal, Okay, I want to make one hundred thousand dollars for the year, but how are you going to do that? Right? So the twelve week year to say, you break it down to twelve weeks. So each year is twelve weeks and each week you put together an actionable plan and at the end of the month review it. So it's a lot easier to accomplish big goals if you break it down. And I'm a big proponent of that, So I actually do that myself now, where every single week on Sunday, I look, I set my goal for the next week, and then I have a yearly. It's a lot easier to look in short periods of time as opposed to a long period of So I recommend that twelve week year. And yeah, that's it, man, Thank you for rocking with us. We'll see you next week. Peace.
Speaker 3: Peace, Peace.
Speaker 8: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christine Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand dailygue aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.