Speaker 1: I feel so privileged to be a fertility expert in a time where success rates are at an all time high.
Speaker 2: Speaking as someone who is yet to go on this journey, when do you feel like is the right time for women to really start thinking about fatility?
Speaker 1: I think it's never too early.
Speaker 2: Doctor Lucky Second is a reproductive androcrinologist who's helping women understand their fertility clearly, calmly, and proactively. She cuts through myths, pressure, and online noise and focuses on what really matters. Do you have any advice for women who are trying to you know, we build trust with their own body after they feel like their bodies failed them.
Speaker 1: It's not because of something you did or didn't do, and you're definitely not alone. One in six couples have infertility.
Speaker 2: What if this time will be the time.
Speaker 1: There is some serendipity, there is some luck, and you just need one egg to make it past all those hurdles.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a Really Good Cry podcast. A Really Good Cry is here to help you understand your body, feel confident in your skin, manage your emotions, and take back control of your health. Because growth doesn't always start with answers, Sometimes it starts with a really good cry Lucky thank you so much for being here. I really really appreciate it. I know you've flown in from New York and I'm so grateful to have you on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: We're gonna dive into your book, The Lucky Egg, Understanding your Fertility and how to get Pregnant. Now, let me tell you, this is one juicy book. There's so much information in here. And what I loved about it was you don't make it feel too scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really the goal.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think that, you know, speaking as someone who is yet to go on this journey, I definitely feel overwhelmed by this whole space and it's a little bit scary. Me and my friends talk about it and we're like, I don't know, I'm avoiding it. I'm avoiding thinking about it until I'm really ready to think about it. And when we are, it feels really intense, especially when you're over the age of thirty.
Speaker 1: Yes, it feels overwhelming. There's so much noise and advice coming out you.
Speaker 2: A mile a minute, there is, And so I know you've been doing this for nearly a decade. I would have to start off with some beautiful success stories that you've experienced.
Speaker 1: I mean so many, you know, I feel so privileged to be a fertility expert in a time where success rates are at an all time highly Yes. Yeah, if you think about when IVF was first invented, and I'm talking about IVF, but there are so many different ways to help people get pregnant, but that's the one that everyone associates with my job, right, But it is the most striking change that in the nineteen seventies, when it first came about and this technology became a thing, it was like single digit success rates. And now every week, you know, at least two thirds of my patients who had an embryo transfer the week before, I'm calling them to say, hey, you're pregnant. Oh my god. No. So it's really something that I never take for granted because I have predecessors, you know, mentors of mine that always remind me of how lucky I am. When they were coming up in their careers, They're like, it was really hard, you know, to tell patients let's keep going in the face of really low success rates compared to what we can offer now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when do you feel like is the right time for women to really still think about the to like your ideal puss. And if you're talking to them from a young age, when would you say this is the time we need to stop thinking about it. So.
Speaker 1: I know it might sound crazi or extreme, but I think it's never too early. I mean, I have a five year old and an eight year old daughter. Both of them know how to correctly identify their body parts. They know about the menstrual cycle. I think we need to normalize this and make it so that people aren't growing up afraid of their bodies or feeling that their bodies are a mystery. I think it should be a topic of conversation, maybe not with the lens of trying to get pregnant necessarily, but just understanding your menstrual cycle, understanding red flags and identifying things early instead of saying, Okay, I'm only going to react after the fact once I'm in a moment of crisis when it comes to my fertility. I would love for everyone in their twenties to have like a secondary formalized education, because high school health class or junior high health class isn't enough. The goals are very different, and then that's the last of our formative education, and we go off into our twenties and our thirties and we're expected to, you know, kind of strive towards having it all and achieving our professional goals while navigating our personal goals, and then magically trying to figure out our biological clock, hoping to stumble upon the right obgyn and the right Google search or the right group of friends that are happening to share the good information. And it seems a little bit too left up to chance. And so that's really why I wrote this book. This isn't for people who are only struggling in the trenches of infertility, but it's really for people as they enter their twenties and thirties to say, Hey, what should I be thinking about? How should I be viewing, you know, wellness and my overall habits day to day, and what should I be thinking about as I embark on this journey of trying to get pregnant so that I can be as efficient and as effective as possible.
Speaker 2: I know you said that IVF. Obviously you're seeing so many great success stories yeah happen and IVF, which is so beautiful. What about when it comes to natural pregnancies. Have you seen a trend in what's happening there? Is it still the same? Well? Does it feel like it's getting hot?
Speaker 1: I think that it's largely the same. I don't think there's anything about our biology that has really changed, Right. It takes a long time for evolution to actually take place, but our behaviors are changing, and we're waiting longer to have children, you know, And I shouldn't say it like that because it makes it sound like it's an active choice. I think it's a confluence of factors of how we're living differently. It's taking longer to become financially independent and feeling like you're in the right place in your life, feeling like you have the right partner. I mean, there's good things about that. Right. We now live in a society where we're saying, let's not settle and let's not stay in toxic relationships just for the sake of Hey, I want to have children. And there's technologies to try to work around that as well. Right, Like women can freeze their eggs and say, I feel less pressured to stick with something that's not right for me. I'm going to listen to that voice inside my head and say let me start fresh, and that would have been really hard to do as someone in their mid thirties or early forties, maybe twenty years ago, where certain things weren't options, right, like egg freezing. But I think you know, the average age of when we're starting to build our families has definitely increased. Just think about our mother's generation, our grandmother's generation, and there's good things about that, right, But our biology hasn't kept pace, and we're not really giving women the tools, the support, and the education or even the access to certain techniques or strategies to try to work around that, or even just policies that help us to create space in our life so that we can achieve our dreams professionally and personally alongside each other.
Speaker 2: You mentioned lifestyle quite a bit throughout this and the things that we should be doing in our twenties and thirties. Would you say that fertility from your experience is many genetics? Is it mainly lifestyle? Is it? You know, what are the main factors that are influencing fertility along our journey?
Speaker 1: So timing is really important on two different levels. One is the effective age.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Age impacts our ability to ovulate a healthy egg and it's not all doom and gloom. It's not like, oh, over thirty five, all of your eggs go bad. That's what society likes to tell people. But in fact, even in our late thirties and early forties, you still have normal eggs that you can ovulate, but the ability to do that starts to shift where it takes many more cycles for that egg that you need to ovulate to be the one that's selected randomly, because it's a random selection process that you cannot control, and it can take longer to get pregnant, and there can be a higher risks of things like miscarriage. So age is definitely a big factor, but also timing with regards to knowing when you're ovulating right, and so for people who aren't getting regular periods and they never know when their next ovulation is happening, or they don't ovulate regularly, that can make it more challenging. And there are shifts in health in society. The rise in obesity has led to more and more people having a harder time ovulating regularly, so that indirectly impacts fertility as well. Genetics is huge. A lot of people aren't aware that if they have a first degree relative with premature MENOPAUSEIDS, polycystic ovary syndrome which can lead to regular cycles, problems like endometriosis. These are all major gynecologic disorders that can relate to fertility issues, and there can be a several fold increased risk of you yourself having those issues if your mom or your sister first degree relative also did so. Genetics can play a huge role in fertility.
Speaker 2: And not the specific tests that you recommend women do to you know, let's say find out from a younger age if these things are an issue for them, like what would you recommend some of the symptoms out that they should look out for, all tests that they should be doing.
Speaker 1: So, starting with your period, if your periods are regular, that's the first red flag that tells you that you're not ovulating regularly. And if you're not ovulating, you're not in the game, right. That means releasing an egg, so there's a chance for that egg to get fertilized. And so I've had women sometimes come to me and say, I've been trying for a year, but I've only gotten two periods in the last year, And I tell them, well, then you really haven't been trying for the full year, right, You've only had two attempts that entire time, and so we need to do something to give you that opportunity. I think the other major thing is it's never normal to have debilitating periods, periods that are so painful that you miss school or work. And it takes an average of eight to ten years for someone to be diagnosed with endometriosis because a lot of times women's pain has been dismissed, overlooked, or normalized. It's just kind of told to them, maybe by well meaning family members, that this is just a burden that women have to bear, and it's kind of a normal thing in our family. Heavy periods that can be a sign that you have problems like fibroids. So I think really tracking your cycle and being intentional is important. You want to be in tune with your body, right. And then besides that, I would say other things to look out for. We know maintaining a healthy body weight is really important for metabolic balance. There is this concept of insulin resistance, which you may have heard of. This is a major buzzword in the wellness world, but it's actually a real issue that I see play a role in many cases of infertility and pregnancy loss. Insulin is basically a hormone that your body produces. It's like a key that unlocks cells, that helps the blood sugar get stored effectively in your cells. And a lot of people's cells might not be listening to the signal of insulin. There's like resistance to it and sometimes weight gain, especially around the mid section, or having a strong family history of type two diabetes. These are dead ringers where you're like, okay, pcos someone having polycystic ovary syndrome. There's a strong relationship. The reason why it matters is that insulin gets produced at a higher level if your cells aren't listening to that signal, and that can actually cause your ovaries to overproduce testosterone and it can lead to unhealthy balance imbalances where the eggs are being matured, so it can affect our egg quality, the ability to ovulate a healthy egg. It can also make it easier to have problems like miscarriage. Most miscarriages are not within our control. I want to make that clear. Most of the time, this is just you ovulated an egg that had a type BO or error. But those typos or errors in the genetic code of those eggs are more likely to happen if the environment around the egg when it's maturing is affected by things like insulin resistance or imbalances. So it's really important to think intentionally about how do we make someone more responsive to the effects of insulin. Right, if someone is overweight and they lose weight, that alone can help, But building muscle can make you more sensitive to insulin. The way we eat, the pattern that we have in our diet in terms of fiber and protein, and trying to avoid glucose spikes and really stabilizing your blood sugar. All of this matters. And this is not a moral feeling. There are a lot of people who this is just genetically how they're wired, and it's not always going to be possible to fix it with diet and exercise. Sometimes you do need the help of certain medications, whether that be metformin or GLP one agonists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to ask about GLP one's day TIPA you mentioned them now, So why is that helping? I've had a sage like people get being able to get pregnant after they've been on GLP. Is that to do with the weight loss or is there something else that happens when people are on these peptides.
Speaker 1: It's both weight loss because weight is basically like that fat can be like another organ that actually helps you overproduce too much estrogen. So in our fat cells we convert excess testosterone to estrogen, and so it's all related. Right, Your ovaries will overproduce or have a tendency to overproduce testosterone, maybe because insulin is causing that to happen, and then that extra testosterone is getting converted in your fat cells to estrogen. Estrogen is confusing your brain, which is listening for the estrogen signal to see what your ovary is doing, and then it's not sending the signals to the ovary to tell it to ovulate effectively. And it's this vicious cycle. And so a lot of people are having what they're calling ozembic babies because yes, they've had this lifelong history of irregularity in their ovulation. It's linked to insulin resistance. Maybe they've struggled with their weight. Now they're correcting that underlying disturbance, and all of a sudden, the signals from their brain are getting through to the over and low and behold, they're ovulating and that was the thing that was making it harder for them to get pregnant. So it's helping a lot of people because it's a very potent way to help with weight loss and to make someone more sensitive to insulin, especially certain formulations of GLP one agonists.
Speaker 2: Does that have any benefit for people have endometriosis or is that issue completely separate to this.
Speaker 1: I think we're still in the research phases of this. You know, endometriosis is a different entity, but it is related to inflammation and having too much insulin, and that insulin resistance I'm talking about is also a pro inflammatory effect. Enomeytriosis is a really important one because it's such a quality of life issue and there's so many different ways it can impact fertility, and no two cases of endometriosis are going to be exactly alike. It's very unique per individual. But it's basically a condition where the cells that act like the innerlining of the uterus that are supposed to build up and be hormonally responsive and then shed every month when you get your period, are found in other parts of the body that they shouldn't be, most often the pelvic cavity, and we still don't really truly understand the mechanism of why this happens to some people and not to others. We know that we all sometimes menstrate a little bit backwards. It's called retrograde menstruation through the fallopian tubes. And our immune system is like a janitor that goes around and kind of recognizes, oh, these cells are foreign, let's clean them up. But some people's cells may evade detection by their immune system, and it can set up shop. And the lining of your uterus is meant to be a little bit sticky and invasive. It's meant to receive an embryo and allow it to kind of burrow its way in, and it can really be effective at creating new blood vessels. And so what can happen is is if it's in the pelvic cavity, it can start setting up shop and becoming hormonally responsive, and every time you're getting a period, it's stimulating those implants. And what's really mysterious is that it can be found in remote locations, like it's been documented in the brain, in the lung cavity, but most often it's like location, location location, it's in the pelvic cavity causes really painful periods. It can cause blockages in the fallopian tubes. It can make it harder for an embryo to implant, It can affect egg quality, it can cause your eggs to get depleted faster. But there are many women that have endometriosis that go on to have healthy pregnancies without any issue. But there are some women with mouth cases that end up having major problems with fertility. So there's a lot we still don't understand about it. But we know that a huge mechanism of how it affects fertility is through inflammatory pathways, and we know there's a lot of information now coming out about how GLP ones may help with inflammatory issues in our body in general. So you may have heard of people saying, you know, my eximo got better while I was on a GLP one pagonist. They're talking, you know, about so many different potential off target health effects, and I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that there could be a benefit for women with enomytriosis.
Speaker 2: Hearing people or friends coming out with telling me that they've got endometriosis more than I've heard, you know, in the past. Maybe just because they're more open about talking about it. But what are some of the tools, techniques, the medications, or the holistic treatments that people can do that you've seen have really helped them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know, the key is really trying to lead an anti inflammatory lifestyle. And I know that sounds kind of woo woo, but it is a real thing. I've had many patients with endometriosis, and I do think it's amazing that we're having this conversation. And that's why you're hearing about it more because more and where women are going to their doctors and saying, you know what, I am going to keep probing and asking questions because it just doesn't feel right that it's so painful. And I think a huge red flag or hallmark sign that you could have endometriosis is a history of really painful periods and then you went on the birth control pill, you shut down ovulation, you shut down that stimulation, and all of a sudden that pain went away. That is really endometriosis until proven other wise. So I have had many patients who've tried different ways of eating, trying to adopt a more pro antioxidant type diet like a Mediterranean style diet. There are some supplements that have been touted as having anti inflammatory effects and maybe being helpful, and a lot of this has been studied, but the reality is is that a lot of the data on supplements is not from well designed studies, and you're looking at different types of patient populations, and you don't always know what you're getting in each bottle of supplements. So I think it's harder to really put a finger on exactly what supplements are better for endometriosis. I think when it comes to medical management, that's usually the mainstay is, well, let's stop what's driving this, right, And so if someone says I have debilitating cramps, I've been diagnosed with endometriosis. And by the way, the diagnosis, the gold standard way is kind of invasive. You have to have a surgery where they go through the belly button with a camera and actually visualize and take a sample of the tissue that they think looks like endometriosis and send it off for analysis. That's not very practical to send everyone to the operating room just to get a diagnosis. And I think that you can make the diagnosis clinically and say, listen, it's probably endometriosis. Sometimes you can see it on ultrasound, But even if you have a clean looking ultrasound with no signs of it, it doesn't mean it's not there. It can be insidious in the pelvic side wall. But a lot of times if someone's not trying to get pregnant, stopping their ovulation. And I know that's not a popular answer, and I think a lot of women are very angry and bitter, and rightly so about maybe ten years prior twenty years prior, being in their teens and it not being explained to them clearly. You know, we think you of endometriosis. This is why we're advising going on the pill. So I've had a lot of patients who are like, I went on the pill in my teens. I don't know why. I've never explained, and now I'm coming off of it and I'm having trouble with my ability to get pregnant, and I'm the one diagnosing them with endometriosis, when in reality, whoever put them on the pill likely suspected that that was what was going on. So I think it's about education and trusting women, even at a young age. To understand complicated things about their body and making sure people are as informed as they possibly can be. Sometimes medications isn't going to cut it, and that's where surgery could have a role to say, Okay, let's have you go see an endometriosis expert. This is what they do all day, every day, and they can do it via a minimally invasive approach and remove those metriosis lesions and it may help to improve your pain and even help to improve your fertility.
Speaker 2: Wow, And I know you mentioned regular periods being such a good sign of you know, good fertility. So is regular periods? Say? Would you say that if you have a regular period, you have regular ovulation?
Speaker 1: Pretty much? Yes, But sometimes it can be tricky because some women will have problems like polyps in their uterus where they're getting cyclical bleeding or regular bleeding and maybe mistaking that to be their period. So I think it's really about having that regular, characteristic period, like you know, three to five days of bleeding. It's different for different people, but I think it's not always clear to every patient, and so I think keeping a menstrual diary and really writing everything down so you can go to your doctor with objective data. In general, though, what goes up must come down. And I always say when you ovulate, your progesterrial levels rise, and then when they drop, your lining breaks down. So that's usually why you're bleeding, is because you ovulated in the preceding cycle. But bleeding can happen for a variety of reasons. So if anything feels off or it feels like it's not a normal period, it's possible that it isn't. And I'd say the first step is getting a pelvic culture sound to investigate, well.
Speaker 2: The kind of test you think that women should be doing regularly. Should they be getting the homeless checked regularly, and if so, what kind of homeland level should they be asking to get checked.
Speaker 1: I'm not a big believer in you need to go in every year and check your egg count, but I think everyone one could benefit from getting it checked at least, you know, once or twice in their twenties or early thirties. I am a big believer in getting at least one pelvic ultrasound, And this is not a guideline based recommendation. This is just my observation as a fertility doctor who has seen so many women of varying ages where I'm often the first one diagnosing problems like fibroids or that they were born with a uterus that has a different shape than the average person. And I think that all too often this is only coming up because they're coming to me with a fertility issue, and then I'm investigating. And you see a lot of variation across the board. You see some women who are going to their OBGN and every once in a while they get a public ultrasound because sometimes you have problems going on that you're only going to see if you do imaging and they haven't manifested as physical symptoms yet. And then there are some women that up until they're forties, you know, they've never had one and I'm the first one doing it. So it's just not standard across the board. And sure, maybe it's not practical for everyone to get one ultrasound per year, but I think at least once in your twenties or thirties just to say that you've taken a look at the uterus, at the ovaries and there aren't any major red flags.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if you, let's say you're a woman who has decided to freeze her eggs, and the eggs are good and good quality, they've said they're fine, But what other I guess there's so many other aspects of you may have the egg, but the size, the shape or size of the vehin of your muterus and all of that must also impact. And then does it also change as you get older? Because obviously frozen the eggs, so that's great, that's there. But does the women's body shift and change that makes it harder to get pregnant as we get older?
Speaker 1: To for sure? I mean, every time you ovulate, you have a cyclical exposure to higher estrogen, and then the cycle begins again when you go through your next ovulation. And the more ovulations you have in your lifetime, the more opportunity for fibroids to grow, for endometriosis to grow. So it is definitely something that can change over time. And there is this concept of secondary infertility, which we don't talk about enough. A lot of women think, Okay, I didn't have any issues getting pregnant with baby number one? Why is it so difficult now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And just because it was easy once doesn't mean it will always be easy because things can change and evolve with your body. We know there's the biological clock right as we get older, it becomes harder and more challenging to ovulate that healthy egg, and that in and of itself might be the reason why it's just taking longer. But of course things can change with your uterus, even your fallopian tubes. You can develop inflammation where they become blocked over time even though they previously weren't blocked. So it's always really important to never take anything for granted and always reevaluate. If more than a year has passed, it's time to get a reevaluation if there's a problem, if you're trying to get pregnant and it's.
Speaker 2: Not happening, and with regass of testing. Obviously this is a smaller type of test. But do these ovulation kits? Are they quite accurate for people to use if they are on the pregnancy journey.
Speaker 1: Yes, they can be. I mean, I think they work really well for people that have regular periods. What they are detecting is basically when you ovulate. What's happening is you have a stockpile of eggs that you're born with like one to two million, and at any given time point, a very small subset of them get recruited to the surface of the ovaries in a process I can't control, and neither can you. Then your brain, like a lottery, sends a signal and randomly chooses one of those eggs to mature and ovulate, and that's your one shot at getting pregnant. That egg lasts for twelve to twenty four hours, and if it's not fertilized in that timeframe, it basically disintegrates and goes away and you have to wait till the next cycle.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, when you PI on a stick an ovulation predictor kit, what you're looking for when it lights up or whatever the indicator is, is that you're about to ovulate. It's actually detecting a signal from your brain, your putuitary gland called LH. So that signal initially will cause you to mature an egg. It's called follicle stimulating hormone. And then a second signal goes out called lutinizing hormone or LH, and that gets into your urine very quickly, and so that's why we have EP these ovulation predictor kits. Day, ok And if you see that signal light up, you're like, Okay, this gives me a twenty four to thirty six hour window, and it's very beneficial to know about ahead of time because sperm will wait in the reproductive tract for three to five days, and so you really want to be having sex in that three to five day window before you actually ovulate any attempts after the egg is already released or lower yield. So it's basically giving yourself a warning or heads up pay ovulation is about to happen. Now. The tricky thing is especially for women with polycystic ovary syndrome PCOS. That's a condition where your ovaries, just like the insulin resistance we were talking about, there's this overall theme of resistance where your ovaries are a bit stubborn and resistant to those signals from the brain, and so your brain ends up kind of shouting at the ovaries saying, hey, I need you to work, and that high LH can become this constant force, and so you might get positive ovulation predictor kits throughout your cycle and come to me and say, I don't understand what's going on. Says I'm ovulating all the time, but I'm not getting my period. So it might not be the best idea for someone who knows they have PCOS, who has irregular or confusing cycles to try diy ovulation predictor kids or ovulation monitoring, because it could end up being inaccurate and really frustrating.
Speaker 2: Let's get into peacos a little bit, because again, something that I hear constantly that people around me end up finding out that they've got. I would love to start off with what have you found has helped people in that situation, because the people like I've got family members and friends with it, and they're on their pregnancy journey and they're really struggling, and it's a very defeating process. It's, you know, lose weight, lose weight. They go to the doctor's, everyone's like, just lose weight, just lose weight, and being told that even if they try, sometimes it's really difficult to use the way. And so I would love to hear from your experience, what has helped people that you've seen with pea COSS and one of the main changes that people should be making.
Speaker 1: Yes, So, there are so many different types of polycystic over e syndrome. There are some women who have just a smidge of it, but their brain is able to get through to the over eventually, and they still kind of ovulate regularly. I will say for most women with pcos, if they're able to ovulate regularly, then it probably isn't going to be a huge hindrance to their fertility, right. But it's for the people that hardly get a period or they never know when their next period's coming. It could be every forty five days, could be up to every seventy days. That's when it becomes really unfair and unpredictable because you're not getting as many shots on goal as the person with the twenty eight day ovulation, right, And so you never know when it's going to happen. And even if you're someone who could have sex every day, right, I don't know who those people are, but apparently they exist, it's still not fair because you're not getting as many tries.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So that's probably the biggest mechanism when we think about the link between pcos and infertility. But then you also have this association with ovulation at sorry insulin resistance and how that may affect in subtle ways and sometimes more drastic ways, egg quality and the environment being more inflammatory making it harder for an embryo to implant and stay implanted. So there's multiple ways that this can affect fertility. But for the person with really irregular cycles, often, yes, we'll talk about lifestyle changes, but if you're overweight, you're not at your healthy set point. Yes, losing weight might make you more sensitive to insulin, and that might reduce the interference of the signals to the ovary and help you to ovulate more readily, but it's often not enough, and sometimes you do need medication, and there's a medication called letrosol. It's a pill that basically fools your brain into thinking there's no estrogen and it cranks out an even stronger signal and we force the ovary to listen. But it's frustrating for people, even though I tell them, hey, PCOS is one of the easiest problems that I treat, because it's not that you don't have the eggs. It's that your body doesn't know how to access the eggs, and we do have ways to force it to access the eggs. But it seems really unfair that you have to take a pill for five days, come in for an all ultrasound, maybe some blood work to kind of gauge what's actually happening with your body and your ovulation, and it's like, you know, work to do something that a lot of people take for granted, being able to on their own track their ovulation do this without intervention. So something I'm constantly saying to my patients with PCOS because they get very worn down very quickly, where they're like, I just started my journey, and I've been on this journey now for five months, and you've made me ovulate five months in a row. That's great, but nothing's happening. What's wrong. I'm starting to panic. And I always explain to them human reproduction is so inefficient. When you ovulate one egg, it's a long shot. We all need to think about it that way, even in our twenties, not every egg is going to fertilize, turn into an embryo, and actually implant. So if I'm just giving you the opportunity to release that egg, I'm giving you, let's say, a twenty percent chance of pregnancy each month. I'm just presenting the option. But whether it actually all happens after the fact after you ovulate, is largely out of our control. So it's going to take persistence in time, and eventually if someone gets really tired by it. We can always say, let's bypass ovulation. You know, we can do things like IBF, or we have to take some shots. We extract eggs, we put the eggs and sperm together outside the body, We put one embryo in at a time, and we just say, forget about the ovulation piece, let's just get you pregnant. But there's a step wise approach, and I think it's really about educating my patients and arming them with all of the tools to be resilient because a lot of this is just like persistence paying off, but you have to stay in it to win it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's so difficult for women when you're really trying and you just don't know when do I stop. You always, you know with some of my friends that you just think, well, what if this time will be at the time totally and it's so hard for them to know, Okay, well maybe this is the time I should give up, like five years, ten years, however long you're trying for. It's so hard to put a stop to it because you're always live in that hope, because you also want to believe that your body's capable of.
Speaker 1: That, right and I've seen such miraculous things happen. You know, when you were asking me earlier, what are some of your favorite fertility stories. I mean, I was talking to one of my dear friends today. She's publicly shared her journey, and I told her I was going to give her a shout out. But Jordana Abram, she has her own podcast about, you know, infertility, in her journey with infertility, and she just had twin girls after a really harrowing journey with infertility and pregnancy loss. And you know, she actually kind of gave up on the idea of trying to carry on her own and pivoted to surrogacy, and the surrogate got pregnant, and then she wasn't even really trying, wasn't in the midst of IVF for her own journey, and miraculously got pregnant. So she just had two babies, like within the span of weeks, two baby girls, and they call I guess they're called like twibblings because they're kind of like twins. But she carried one and the surrogate carried the other, and it was just so fertuitous. And it's actually why I called my books Lucky egg is stories like this that even when the stats are stacked against you, the odds are stacked against you, You've tried everything. Sometimes you know, science can get you very far, but at the end of the day, there is some serendipity, there is some luck, and you just need one egg to make it past all those hurdles. And despite all of the science and the predictions, at the end of the day, it worked for her. And I think that those stories give a lot of hope.
Speaker 2: They really do. I think people need to hear those because there are so many of the other stories and you need those little glimpses of hope that kind of get you through the next You know, if you're doing IVF, the next cycle and the next cycle, there's.
Speaker 1: More than one way to get there. Yeah, And I think, you know, while you don't always have a clear defined path and I don't have a crystal ball, trust me, it would make my job so much easier if I did. I think that the key thing that I can do is really coach and guide my patients and give them my honest, professional opinion about when it's time to pivot, but also leave the door open for you know, there is no finality in all of this, Like, you can't always pret what's going to happen. All we can do is make the next best take the next best step based on the information we have at hand.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'd love to get into natural fertility for a bit and then move on to IVF. But what would you say, because obviously there's so many things that out there if you should try this for fertility, and you should be eating this and doing this. But as some of the lifestyle changes you think that matter the most, if there's any that you haven't already mentioned, and which ones do you think are overrated and don't really make much of a difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think lifestyle plays a huge role in our general health and in our fertility. And I think the best way to think about it is in simple terms, whatever is better for heart health tends to be better for your fertility. Right, So when you think about exposures to avoid, that's the easy place to start. Smoking is never good for fertility, right, And it's not good for your health in general. We know that it depletes your eggs at a faster rate, It is associated with going into early menopause, and if you're in menopause, it means you run below a critical threshold of eggs, you're not able to ovulate. And if you're not ovulating, you're not in the game. And if it's because of a quantity issue, there isn't very much that I can do to work around that. I need eggs to work with, right.
Speaker 2: And you're just born with the amount of eggs that you keep the whole life.
Speaker 1: Right, correct, and things like genetics age. We know as we get older we lose eggs at a faster rate, but also toxic exposures including smoking, can accelerate that process. Drinking, right, alcohol, especially the threshold that has been kind of looked at, and the overall pattern that has been establ established is that less than four drinks in a given week is kind of associated with better outcomes versus more than four drinks moderate to heavy drinking. When it comes to diet, the best diet for fertility is usually the boring one.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: There are all these bad diets out there about, you know, keto or carnivore diet. Anything that's extremely restrictive or very one sided and doesn't involve a lot of variety is not something that I would ever recommend to my patients. And it's shocking how much that is pushed and recommended. Yeah, you look online, a Mediterranean style diet is always going to serve your health better, whether it be your heart health or your fertility. So that means, you know, lean proteins, healthy sources of fats like nuts, seeds, avocado, eating the rainbow like this is such common sense stuff, but it's actually been proven in the data that this seems to be associated with better pregnancy rates, whether trying on your own or looking at women who are undergoing treatment. Exercise is so important, you know, movement is medicine and one hundred and fifty minutes of cardiovascular exercise per week, but also resistance training and doing kind of a mix of everything. But I think building muscle because again that makes you more resistant to the effects of insulin, which is really important for your overall health and fertility. Sleep we know that if you're consistently getting less than seven hours, that can lead to menstrual disturbances, so it's really important to be consistent with your sleep routine. And then stress is a big one, right I'm here to actually tell you that the day today's stress, you know, the boardroom meeting, that big deadline. Those aren't affecting your fertility in a negative way, and we need to stop blaming ourselves.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So many women who go through miscarriages or failed cycles or they're not getting pregnant trying on their own, they'll often say, you know, I really need to clean up my lifestyle. I need to like clear my life of stress. And I just think that that is a losing battle. You know, living a stress free life is not really the goal. I think it's about setting up coping mechanisms and being able to build resilience so that you can handle stress effectively and that you don't have unhealthy coping mechanisms. That's really the key.
Speaker 2: I think, even though you said, oh, you know, it's all the basic things that we already know. Even if it is basic, it's so needed to be reminded of every single day, because yes, of course we're told eating vegetables, but all we eat all vegetables, And yeah, we're told to exercise for this many hours, but are we actually doing it right? A lot of the time, it's the simple stuff that people struggle with the most. Right is getting a takeaway and eating something deep fried might be a lot more convenient but all we thinking on a daily basis about our hot health, are we thinking about all fertility and so yes, it sounds really simple, but if we actually affect on it. Sometimes I think we hear things over and over again, but oh we've heard that, but all we actually doing it?
Speaker 1: No, and there's opposite advice out there. R exactly the number of times I've sat across my desk from a couple and you know, either partner will be like, well, he or she exercises five days a week, and I'm like, bravo, Oh that's a good thing. But there is this narrative still, and I feel like this was a really really prevalent narrative like ten twenty years ago, that when women are trying to get pregnant they should be treating their bodies so delicately, and especially when you are pregnant, oh god forbid you exercise. I think we're moving away from that, and now it's understood that, you know, our bodies are amazing, and when you are pregnant, it's actually advised that you should exercise regularly. But there's still this idea of like, well, you don't want to toast you too much exercise and that's actually bad advice. You know, being sedentary is actually so bad for our health, and it's not great for our fertility either. So movement is good. Movement is medicine, and we shouldn't be afraid of it. I mean there are extremes. You know, if someone's training for the Olympics and in combination, you know, eating very little and there's a major imbalance in the amount of energy they're taking in and what they're expending. That can affect your fertility because it can shut down ovulation. It's almost like your brain is saying, we're too stressed out, we don't have enough resources to just keep you alive, Like we're not going to shunt energy towards ovulation because we don't want to support a baby right now. That's a very extreme example. But for someone who's exercising three to five days a week, that's a good thing and we shouldn't be afraid of that.
Speaker 2: And should women be avoiding high intensity exercises during the prices of trying to get pregnant.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think exercise is better than no exercise. Maybe, you know, in early pregnancy, it's not lies to be like, now's a great time to take up CrossFit. You know, I've never worked out before, but now I'm gonna enjoin the CrossFit cults. Like I don't necessarily think that's a good idea, but that's because physiologically, in the early steps of pregnancy, especially in the first trimester, your body is adjusting and you have a lot of progesterone and that can cause your ligaments to be more relaxed and you're more prone to injuries. So I always tell patients to be careful when they're doing new things or easing back into an exercise routine. But the earlier you get back into it, the easier it is. I think the longer you go without exercise, it's easier to become deconditioned, and it's much harder to kind of pick up in the second and third trimester.
Speaker 2: Because I always hear about how for women, you know, especially recently Expects saying avoid any woman should be avoiding high intensity training because it really throws off your hormones and your courts all. And I guess I was wondering, what is too intense exactly? Is it breaking a sweat like she's breaking a sweat? Should we not be out of breath when we're walking out by now it's really hard because then as soon as you're told that, yeah, you think, oh so I should stick to pelosis, Yeah, stick to going on wolves.
Speaker 1: No, you need to work your heart out right. And I don't think when people are I think when people are saying that, what they're really referring to is like Olympic level training, like where you're really doing something repetitive and it's not in balance. But I think for someone who's just like I want to go for a run for half an hour to an hour a day, not only is that so good for your physical health and your fertility, but it's also great for your mental health too. So this narrative of women, you know they're going through fertility treatments or they're trying on their own, and now maybe they're in early pregnancy, and telling them to be so careful and that they are these delicate beings and they shouldn't be exercising, it's doing a major disservice to them because it's not actually rooted in scientific evidence. We know the scientific evidence actually is saying it's better to be someone that exercises regularly. But I think it's a huge problem when it comes to taking away a tool that so many use for their mental health.
Speaker 2: Yes, and if you think about it tribally, like even if you go back culturally, back in the day, women were grinding, like, they were really out there. They were picking the they were picking the fruits, they were going out, they were foraging.
Speaker 1: They were doing so much, not working desk jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, they were sitting around for that long. So I imagine moving your body. All you're really doing is a one hour to maybe two hours.
Speaker 1: Work, counteracting all of the sedentary other hours of the day. It's really important. I'm here to say that that's not a thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to know. Are there any foods that you recommend when someone is starting to try and get pregnant. Are there any foods that you're like, you know what, this has actually been found to really help on this journey or is it generally just the Mediterranean diet.
Speaker 1: It's more the pattern of eating there isn't. I think one of the biggest fertility myths is that there's this set formula, whether it be a superfood or you know, a particular set of supplements that are guaranteed to reverse the biological clock or a guarantee that you're going to get pregnant faster than the next person that's not doing those things. That's not true, right, There isn't a single thing that falls within that bucket. I think it's more of a dietary pattern. I think variety is always good, you know, when you think about the major top nutrients, like folate is really important from leafy green vegetables. We also say to take folic acid as part of your prenatal vitamin because it's actually very important for preventing a certain type of birth defect that affects the spinal canal. And that's why a lot of the American diet is actually fortified with fullic acid. But taking you know, folate through diet as well as a follic acid in your supplement Omega threes. These are fatty acids, healthy sources of fats that you don't produce naturally in your body, and you can get them from nuts, seeds, salmon. It's anti inflammatory and it is known to be better for fertility and for pregnancy health.
Speaker 2: Anify greens for the pholin and healthy fats exactly.
Speaker 1: And then iron, I would say iron and protein are really important as well. There are many people that are undiagnosed with iron deficiency and there can be an association with it making it harder to get pregnant. So it's something that I screen all my patients.
Speaker 2: Especially in all culture iron and I just had got some of my block tests back and I was like, oh, my iron has gotten so low. Iron invismin dy Yeah, like every time I stopped taking it.
Speaker 1: It just do you live in LA I don't want to know what my vidy swinter.
Speaker 2: I really need to get back to it. So I took my IES supplement this morning for you. I wanted to ask about supplements because you just mentioned them prenatals. Do you have anyones that you recommend and what's your view on them?
Speaker 1: So I try to stay away from recommending any particular brand as a doctor, Okay, okay, because I think it's important for me to not be biased in that regard. But always, you know, I think one that contains fulloic acid. If you go to the American College of Obgyn website, there's actually a list of nutrients and amounts of nutrients that are the daily recommended amount for women who are trying to get pregnant or in the first trimester, and so whether you're getting that for diet or from supplementation, I think it doesn't matter how you're doing it, but it's really important to try to hit on all of those major vitamins and micronutrients. When you think about other supplements that have been looked at, first of all, correcting any known deficiencies. We already talked about it a little bit like iron. Vitamin D is another one that plays an essential role in many aspects of human reproduction as well as early pregnancy health, and so many of us are vitamin D deficient. So I would say start by correcting deficiencies. You know, if you have a B twelve deficiency. A lot of times the earliest sign of these things is looking at a complete blood count and seeing, okay, some of your levels are off, and you can indicate whether you know whether that's actually causing anemia or whether there's just subtle changes in your complete blood count that may lead down a further line of investigation to say, hey, are you deficient in fold eate vitamin B twelve? Are these things that we can correct with supplementation or changes in your diet. Coenzyme Q ten is probably one of the more studied vitamins when we think about supplements for fertility and it's an antioxidant. It doesn't have the perfect data that I would love to recommend it wholeheartedly, but it definitely has a pretty favorable side effect profile, doesn't seem to have a lot of interactions with medications or major side effects, and there are some pretty well designed studies, large scale studies that have shown a relationship between taking six hundred milligrams of coenz im Q tena day and higher pregnancy rates and women undergoing treatment. So it's specifically been looked at for a lot of women who may be older or are dealing with diminished to varying reserve. But it's not the end albeit at all, And it's not something that I'm like, this isn't going to work if you don't take this, But it's probably got the most evidence behind it versus some of the others. And in my book, I have a whole table where and this was the chapter that the writing almost killed me because it's really depressing as a doctor, as someone who's scientifically minded to comb through so much bad data, you know, I was just like, I can't believe this is touted to be like the end all, be it all of supplements. Meanwhile, there's like hardly any human studies, right, So this table goes through all of the different types of supplements that have generated any buzz when it comes to improving male or female fertility, And I put, how is this proposed to actually help? Because a lot of people are taking these things without even knowing what is today the proposed benefit. What is the typical dosage that's been taken and recommended. What do the studies actually show a lot of the studies shown really little effect, or you know, are really poorly designed or have really small numbers. So when you actually look through it, I think that that gives you the necessary context and information to make informed decisions. I will say, there isn't one single supplement that I'm like, this is vital and if you don't take it, you know your fertility is going to be doomed. That just isn't a thing in my field.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to know. I think that'll help with other people. Do that ease about it?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I definitely move on to egg freezing, and then we mentioned it earlier. But first of all, there's obviously egg freezing and then there is embryo freezing. Now, are is it two different processes that a woman has to go through or is it pretty much the same process that both in tail.
Speaker 1: So it's same, it looks same for the female partner. Okay, So the first step to egg or embryo freezing, and these are the two methods that we know of that are effective at trying to preserve someone's fertility for the future. The first step looks the same and it involves trying to go in and capture a bunch of eggs, basically salvaging them. Remember I said at the beginning that there's a stockpile of eggs that you're born with. At any given time point, only a very limited subset of eggs are allowed to escape from that pantry, so to speak. And it's almost like rationing. That's why I use the word pantry, because it's like your body allows you to release only as many as you can afford to release. So earlier in your life, when you have more in your stockpil, you bring more to the surface, and later in life when you have less than your stockpile. Because we don't make new eggs over time, you can't regenerate eggs, then you bring fewer to the surface. Now, when I do an ultrasound on someone and I'm looking at through ovaries and I'm counting those bubbles of fluid that we call follicles, those are the eggs that we're pulled out of the stockpile, and so counting them only matters if you're going through a process like an egg retrieval for fertility preservation or for IVF to overcome in fertility, And the first step is taking shots. The shots that you take for eight to ten days approximately are mimicking that same signal your brain sends to the ovary to get one of them to normally mature and then later ovulate. But we have you take those shots at a slightly higher level in an effort to select everything that's been pulled out of the stockpile. So the first step is you want to mature them. And just like when you have a banana that ripens, it's easier to appeel. When a follicle becomes larger, the egg inside of it is more likely to be mature and capable of being fertilized by sperm one day. So we're bringing you in during the course of these eight to ten days of shots, which you're typically taking at home on your own or the help of a nurse. Right, and then you're coming in for periodic monitoring visits. These are usually done early in the morning so that we can get same day results where we're doing a scan and blood work, engaging how is your body responding, And at a certain point we'll say, Okay, it looks as good as it can possibly get. I think we're going to capture as many of the eggs as we can. Let's go in and get them out. And that is a very minor procedure. It takes ten minutes or less. You're put to sleep with light sedation through an IV. An antithesiologist is watching the entire time, and all we're doing is if this is the vaginal canal going to the uterus, right, the ovaries sit very low down on either side. Under ultrasound guidance, we kind of angle the ultrasound this way and we use a long, thin needle. Under ultrasound guidance, we're basically popping each bubble and just draining the fluid to pick up the egg from each one on either side. So there's no incisions on your abdomen. This is not a major surgery, and you wake up in the recovery room. And I'm speaking from experience having gone through this. I did embryo freezing with my husband at thirty four. I woke up in the recovery room like I can't believe it's over, you know, And it felt like the best nap of my life. I woke up crampy, kind of tired, went home and slept for five six And that day they can take the eggs out and we can either freeze them as eggs, which are as single cells, so you can actually test the quality. You can just know, hey, I have some mature eggs, okay, and you can freeze them. Or if you have a partner or you want to do this with a sperm donor, we can take sperm and we can inseminate those eggs. We can put them with the eggs and fertilize them, let them grow for a week. And as they're growing, they're separating into two cell types, cells that become the baby and cells that would one day become the placenta. That's an embryo that in plants. We can even remove some of those outer cells and send them off for genetic testing or not and freeze them at the embryo stage. But embryos you can assess the quality because you can do that genetic testing. Okay, you know that anyone can have an embryo form from their eggs, even in their twenties that has missing or extra DNA. These are typos and errors that happen as part of human biology, and they become more prevalent as we get older. But that's the advantage of embryo freezing is that you're further along in the process. Not every egg that you eventually saw fertilize and try to turn into an embryo. We'll get there, because again, human reproduction is inefficient, and that inefficiency isn't magically solid for just because you're doing this high tech process. So when you think about freezing eggs, I wouldn't even call it an insurance policy or a backup plan. I would call it a head start if and should you ever need IVF in the future. How lovely is it to be able to say, well, we have a larger cohort of eggs and what I'm typically going to be able to get in one round of effort now at this older age, and they should have a higher conversion rate from eggs to healthy embryos because they were from when you were in your twenties or early thirties versus now, And so it's not to say every egg will be guaranteed to be successful. So having enough eggs based on the age you are when you freeze your eggs is really essential. And there's a lot of unknowns that you're willing to accept for flexibility though, because you can come back and use those eggs with whichever partner once you turn them into embryos, you're not able to undo that, so you're kind of committed.
Speaker 2: So you make it sounding much more of an easier process than I feel, because so many of my friends have been considering it. But I'm not sure, and it feels like a scary process. But it's essentially a fifteen day ish period that you're going through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't want to sugarcoat it. I mean, was it the most favorite thing that I ever did?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean you feel bloated, You definitely have some side effects. You have some cramps even a few days after the procedure, but it's not the months and months of shots that a lot of people assume.
Speaker 2: And there's no negative effects on the body after you've done it.
Speaker 1: It's no, It's very transient because remember the eggs that come to the surface, they're always getting thrown away at the end of the cycle. So this isn't depleting your egg count, this isn't putting you into menopause faster. This is us just salvaging what would have already been wasted in that cycle. And it's not something that is ever going to affect your future fertility. Even if you feel bloated and you have some water weight gain, all of that will dissipate as the hormones leave your body about two weeks later. You get a period about one to two weeks after the egg retrieval and everything resets.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh my god. Yeah. Definitely put people to ease their minds, to ease that this process, because I feel like it feels like such a big decision to make, but actually it's just safeguarding as all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just gaving myself to you to think it's a big decision, and it's also a big cost, right. Not everyone has insurance coverage to do this, So I do think it's a big decision. But I think it's an important thing to consider and at least learn about if and should you ever find yourself or if you think you're someone who might find yourself realistically in a place where you're trying to build your family in your late thirties, forties and beyond, then it's a smart thing to do. I mean, I did this at thirty four. I had already had a child, but I just felt really overwhelmed getting back into work and trying to balance it all. And I said to myself, as a fertility doctor, I'm going to take my own advice because I don't see myself being in a place where I'm ready to try again for another two to three years, and inevitably I'm going to be thirty seven thirty eight, it could be a little bit harder to ovulate that healthy egg that I need to ovulate. So let me do this. And I'm so glad I did, because I did end up having secondary infertility. It was harder for me to get pregnant, and it wasn't surprising as to why, but I was so I was less stressed, and I felt really at ease with the fact that I already had done the hard work of creating the embryos.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would have to move on to IVF. What do you feel is the biggest misconception that people have about IVF.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of fear. Right so you already talked about, oh my gosh, how long is this going to take, how evasive is it, how hard is it? I think people overestimate that. I think this is there's this idea of like IVF long haulers, Like there's all these people that you hear these nightmare stories of oh my gosh, they've done so many cycles, and sometimes I think patients feel my patients will say like I want to try this, but I don't want to be someone that's doing cycle after cycle left and I'm like, you're not signing up for that. I mean, you're going to try this and then let's see what the outcome is and then make a thoughtful decision depending on how you felt going through the process, what the results were, how much progress we made. Is this something we need to try again. Yeah, some people get what they need out of the first round off IBF. There are many people where it takes more than one round because not every egg that they extract is going to fertilize, grow into an embryo, and sometimes if you're starting with a small number or you have significant egg quality issues, you may end up in a position and I did for one of my cycles when I was trying to do this just preemptively where I only had two eggs retrieved and none of them turned into embryos. And that was a cycle where I had nothing to show for it. So that can be really difficult. And I think people sometimes go into IVF thinking the success rates are really high, so this is going to be the solve, and they might be blindsided to find out, hey, it didn't work, and I need to try this more than once. So I think it's a balance of don't be so overly pessimistic and assume you're going to be sucked into this IVF world where you're just going on this non stop train of IVF. No, you can make thoughtful decisions. There's no like you're not like a past exactly, and there should be an ongoing conversation with your doctor, not just something that you're like a passive passenger and all of this. But also it's not always rosy like. Sometimes it takes time and it's and while science has gotten us very far. It's not the solf you know, sometimes it takes more than one round to get there. There's a lot of fear around IVF and this misconception that it could cause breast cancer. That's a huge one as well, and that's just not a thing. You know that the data shows that there isn't a relationship between women who have done a round of IVF, even several rounds of IVF, who have been followed for decades in their lives, they don't have a higher risk of developing breast cancer. There is an underlying risk factor where we know that the more ovulations you've had in your lifetime is related to risk of breast cancer. And so I think there might be with a without iv ACT, right, But I think when people initially used to ask this question, you know, if you're looking at a population of patients going through IVF, they might be older at time of first time that they're trying to get pregnant. So there's a lot of like confounding variables and things. And when we've looked into the data, and we've looked to countries like Denmark that have done a good job of keeping registries and following long term outcomes. IVF is very safe in the long term. It's not going to impact your fertility, and it's not going to impact your risk for things like breast cancer.
Speaker 2: Okay, And are there any helistic treams that you recommend alongside when people getting IVF, like acupuncture or anything that you've noticed has helped along that journey.
Speaker 1: I think acupuncture has been a wonderful tool for a lot of my patients. Now I'm going to be forthcoming and say that there isn't one singular study that's well designed, large that's like this really moved the needle and intended in pregnancy rates for women. But it's certainly not harmful. And I do know that a lot of my patients find it very relaxing. They feel like it helps with stress relief, It helps them feel less anxious. Maybe some of it is placebo, but you know, the idea is that it can improve blood flow to certain areas of the body. This is an ancient form of Chinese medicine. You don't always know everything there is to know. I've gone to acupuncturists for migraines, you know, as a Western medicine doctor. So I don't think there's a downside. I think if there are things that aren't going to hurt and could be helpful, even if it's like on a mental health front, then I'm all for it.
Speaker 2: And why not? Yeah, exactly talking about mental health, I feel like, you know, we mentioned the women who have tried and tried and they just feel really betrayed by their own bodies. Yes, do you have any advice for women who are trying to you know, we build trust with their own body after they feel like their bodies failed them, Like how to rebuild that relationship with their body off to something like this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think the first thing is and you have to drill this into your brain because trust me as an expert who tells women this all day every day. When I went through my own fertility journey, it was such a human nature knee jerk reaction to automatically look inward and blame myself. And so I'm here to tell you it is not your fault. You know, whatever you're experiencing, it's not because of something you did or didn't do. And that maybe confusing coming off of you know, our conversation about lifestyle, but in reality, age timing genetics play have much more of a weighted role in all of this than the things that you can control, and it's not fair. This is a hard thing to uncouple in our mind because so much of our life is about the effort we put in and then seeing the product right, and fertility is not one of those things. And I think you can set the conditions as much as you can, you can put your best fit forward as much as you can, but it can be really unfair and it doesn't discriminate. So it is not your fault and you're definitely not alone. One in six couples have infertility. There are so many women. At least ten percent of women have endometriosis, ten percent of women have pcos. There's a reason why we're talking about this so much, and it's because we're blowing the lid off of all of these issues. Because I think there's a revolution where women are like, we're tired of being you know, so secretive about something and feeling ashamed of our bodies. It's time for us to openly share and change their because it really isn't our fault, and I think there shouldn't be pressure or a rush to heal. It's going to be a natural process. And I think something we don't talk about enough is, you know, the journeys that don't end in a baby. Right. We've seen people like Jennifer Anison, high profile people share that they went through their own fertility journey where they tried and despite all of their access and the resources that they had, it wasn't successful. And I think people really lauded that and thought, wow, if this can happen to her, And this really shed light on this issue because there is a bias towards sharing the positive endings, the happy endings, and those stories because that's uplifting and what people want to hear. But this doesn't always work for everyone. And I think there is often a way to overcome issues if you're willing to pivot, you know, there's usually a way for us to help you get there. But sometimes there can be really difficult circumstances, and sometimes people aren't open to all of the different options. You know, it's really your choice, and you're entitled to the vision of what you wanted for your family building journey. And I don't think that it's helpful to tell people, well, you can always use donor egg, or you can always adopt or you can do surrogacy. It's easier, said, than.
Speaker 2: Such an emotional tie to It's so much deeper than just the baby itself. It's like how you feel about your own body. It's exact how woman feels her responsibility is or her duty is. Like there's so much identity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sometimes you have to do a lot of work to undo that yes, and realize that you're more than your fertility.
Speaker 2: I think that's really hard, especially in certain cultures, but just the culture of women, like in society even now, it's so hard to for women who have been brought up thinking that this is the n actual progression of life and this is how it should be, to really uncouple themselves from.
Speaker 1: Them absolutely, and I think the burden shouldn't be on them. I think it needs to be on society. Right, when are we going to stop asking women? Are you trying? So when you start trying, it's like you don't know.
Speaker 2: That probably like every time I post it, Oh my god, I'm not okay, I get it. Yeah, you guys want to see a baby have your own. Now.
Speaker 1: I've become so hyper sensitive working in this field that sometimes I'm in the line at Starbucks and I'm like overhearing someone's conversation, just cringing. You know, I think that people, even who aren't in the fertility journey could benefit from reading my book because there's a whole section on how to be a sensitive partner or family member or friend. Had the best show up for the people in your life that are facing this challenge.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. This has been amazing. I really appreciate all the insight that you've given, but also just the hope that you've probably shared with so many people that are on this journey of whether it's fertility, whether it's trying to get pregnant. You know, there's so many steps to this, and I think you've really helped not just you know, go through it here, but in your book. It's such a I mean it's a hefty book and it's just filled with so much goodness that's so useful.
Speaker 1: I promise it's an easy read.
Speaker 2: No it is. It's such an easy wead, but I really appreciate how in detail it is, Like we need this because there is so much to it, and I think it's really important to have all the knowledge you can possibly have then feel empowered like knowledge is power, and to have that about your own body as a woman is just so important.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, something we see a lot online is like click beat, you know, feeling like what the video you're about to watch is going to answer her and solve all your problems. And I really wanted to create a resource that actually, in detail answered people's questions right, And this is this goes beyond the character limit on a caption or the three minute limit on an Instagram reel. You just can't give that level of nuance in detail. So that's why I wrote this book.
Speaker 2: Aways a way too precious and complicated to be able to do it in that amount of time.
Speaker 1: Exactly. I think this is like a health class two point zero and I hope it'll help a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Lucky, I think really appreciate it. And if anyone listening, go get your copy of The Lucky Egg Understanding Your Fertility, How to Get Pregnant Now by Doctor Lucky Second.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, thank