Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg Business Week with Carol Masser and Tim Steneveek on Bloomberg Radio Matter.
Speaker 3: You're thinking a lot about biotech.
Speaker 1: I love the biotech sector. I think I still think that there's so much we have yet to learn about the body and how things work. Yeah, and I think with AI there is this potential.
Speaker 3: I just want cancer to be cured.
Speaker 1: I just want cancer to be truly I know, I know. I feel like it's the next big thing. We've figured out some things.
Speaker 2: There's idea of cancer moonshots, and it's just I don't know, it's just like it's very frustrating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know, I know. So we talk about it a lot. We do. There's a lot of money going though at the world of pharmaceuticals and biotech, and one story we wanted to point out our Jerry Smith wrote this of Bloomberg that Blackstone is investing two hundred and fifty million in a biotech startup, Xanogramd Therapeutics. It's part of the private equity giant strategy to own more cutting edge drug makers. I mean, it's called Blackstone Life sciences. They have some seventeen billion in au M, typically investing in late stage medicines invented by biotech and pharma companies in exchange for a royalty and future sales. I gets into the model. I think what's interesting to me is their latest life science is Fun has six point three billion of commitments. It's the firm's biggest haul for backing clinical trials of medicines and technologies. I like to see where the money flows. I also think money can help make things happen and hopefully have a cure for cancer. We put it in one bucket, but there's hopefully lots of cures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are things that Jenny Rook thinks a lot about because this is an area that invests in. She's the founder and managing director of Geno Adventures. She's back here in our Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio. Your portfolio has investments in new culture, reducts, biofellow bond, pet foods.
Speaker 3: And more.
Speaker 2: Good to have you back with us. It's been gosh since January when we last spoke. How are you doing.
Speaker 1: Well, nothing's happened, right, It's.
Speaker 4: Been pretty chill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, well, you know what's the connection between the public markets and and sort of what you see in your world of venture capital and VC investing. Is there any connection to volatility that we saw in March, increase in sentiment, positive sentiment we saw in April.
Speaker 3: Does that affect your world at all?
Speaker 4: It does, and maybe even more than I probably originally realized getting into venture. But it's exactly as you're just saying, Carol, is that when you have in the public markets the interest, the capital, the emphasis on driving these later stage businesses forward. Getting medicines out into the through the clinic and into the market. That drives a lot of the underlying layer of demand for tools, the application of AI to the discovery of biology, making you less frustrated about what we don't know in medicine. So it really is driving I think both the right atten and the right investment, Jenny.
Speaker 1: When there's a big player like Blackstone, is that good for the market? Is it more competitive than for you? These are late stage I think you're earlier, right.
Speaker 4: That's right. So at General Adventures we exist to lead first rounds and companies that are hopefully going to be public in seven to ten years. Being part of the venture asset class. But it's very important to have these later stage funds validating that the segment itself is an important place to put capital and is driving returns later as well.
Speaker 3: So let's get to curing cancer, okay, please, Why is it so difficult?
Speaker 2: And our company is still working on this given that we've and we've talked about this with you in the past. I mean, you know, in the past eighteen months or so about research funding drying up at some universities. But our company is still putting money, oh very much.
Speaker 4: So I would say if you look at the therapeutic space generally and where investment is going, that is still the oncology and still one of the leading segments for investment and innovation. Yes, there's work still to be done, but it is no longer a death sentence today like.
Speaker 3: It is not.
Speaker 2: But one scary thing about the reason why I think so much money is going into oncology is because it's becoming increasingly common for people as they live longer. That's right, So more people are getting it because more people are living longer. And also there are other types of cancers that younger people are now getting.
Speaker 4: Right, the color rectal cancer exactly rise. Yeah, that's exactly right. So in a sense, it is the flip side of the coin of living longer, healthier lives some have called cancer disease of aging, so we are now living long enough to encounter it. It's also very complex. It's not one thing, it's not even just one thing in a given organ. It's many different kinds of molecular changes.
Speaker 1: So talk to us about what's interesting that's going on in terms of biology. What are you seeing right?
Speaker 4: Well, something that's been really exciting in this past quarters. You've seen we've started to see the public markets opening up. We've had a couple of IPOs in the biotech space, surprising and delightful to us as investors in the infrastructure and the tool chain. One of those was not therapeutics at all, but a proteomics company, so alamar Bio came out on NASDAK oversubscribed, has traded up since then and the months since then. And what they do is they make it possible to measure more proteins in, for example, a patient sample, at a greater level of precision and sensitivity than ever possible. And the hunger for being able to measure what's happening in the protein layer, which is in some sense the business end of biology, is necessary for the next phase of understanding cancer biology, diagnostics, and even kind of engineering of drugs in all of those spaces.
Speaker 1: Why is that like understanding that layer now?
Speaker 4: I think you probably know you've probably heard the dogmas and they say genes, DNA make RNA, make proteins, and it's proteins that circulate, interact with each other. It's kind of the network of what's happening in the body and between cells, and it's often proteins. Something going on with the proteins that go goes wrong when we're talking about disease pathology, and so we need to be able to measure that, got it? And you know, we've made bets in that space too.
Speaker 1: I think before we got going, I still feel like I just that we still don't know so much about Yeah, that's our body and what the body can be used. I think we're doing. We're learning more with therapy, right, and how to use the body to help cure what ails us.
Speaker 4: That's right, But all of this depends on and actually that AI revolution is fueling hunger for more and better data. Yeah, probably know that AI is only as powerful as the quality and the amount of data that you put into it. Right, and so we've known, as you say, Carol, there's so much we still don't know. But now there's reasons to get that complexity of DNA because we can interact with it with AIO.
Speaker 2: To your point, Carol, I think what surprises me so much and talking to with friends who are doctors, is how much out there is idiopathic.
Speaker 3: It's the idea that.
Speaker 2: Okay, we recognize that the symptoms exist. We see your symptoms, we just have no idea what causes them. Well, like that's in twenty twenty six with imaging, with blood testing, with all of the diagnostic testing that we have, there are still so many more questions.
Speaker 1: So how do we get to those really great data sets because I mean our health facilities competing for the data because that gives them more value, or is there going to be some comprehensive data set so that we all benefit off of.
Speaker 4: I think what we've seen so far with AI. Generally this is outside of healthcare, but AI is most powerful when one can close the loop between generation of exactly the right data set at a high quality to answer the question you want to answer. So in the healthcare space, closing the loop between turning biology into data, feeding that into better and better AI models, generating insights, and then doing it again, and so that pace of learning with the AI support is only accelerating.
Speaker 3: Have we seen any of that proven out yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think you see it in. One of the other kind of big news in the space is Roch's acquisition of pathai, right, and I think from people who are interested in the space and trying to understand how AI is affecting healthcare, that's a pretty great one stop example or case study because pathai solutions include generation of data on samples, visualization like you were saying, and then the AI tools to understand it, as well as workflow improvements because it all matters. What matters is can you deliver it to patients in the healthcare system.
Speaker 1: But you know what that's going back to the data, like who is going to be the accumulator like I do. We've had a guest on somebody I had talked to at Bloomberg and Fast about this whole idea of agentic AI but talking about data sets that are very specific to a different industry, and her point really was that you know, you're not going to need all these lms accumulating everything.
Speaker 3: You're going to need these very focused right.
Speaker 1: So who, like, let's take I don't know, colon cancer, Like, will there be an accumulator taking in data from global so that you really get a great data set or does everybody have their own?
Speaker 4: The answer it ends up being both, so you end up with large comprehensive data sets. For example, like the UK Biobank is a very rich data set with a lot of longitudinal information about patients and their healthcare, and then the ability to access that and add to it the layers of specific data sets that, for example, a company trying to develop a diagnostic in a particular cancer might add a proteo mix layer or a glycoproteomics layer around a particular test.
Speaker 1: Is the US still accumulating great data? With the administration and some of the cuts and so on and so forth, Are we still accumulating smart data?
Speaker 4: This is a really important question. A lot of the conversation this year that I've been in has been what is our relative investment in generating more data at high quality? And how does that compare to other geographies like China? We have to talk about China.
Speaker 3: I want to go in a different direction than China.
Speaker 4: Okay, but because we haven't talked about China, an.
Speaker 2: Are our incentives aligned for in our healthcare system to make people healthier?
Speaker 4: It's honestly easier to talk about China than our healthcare system.
Speaker 2: But because our healthcare system makes money when people are sick. Yeah, if you think about some of the biggest hospitals, insurance and insurance companies.
Speaker 3: Some people argue insurance companies serve as a.
Speaker 2: Check on some healthcare facilities because they're only going to pay for X so, and you know, and they kick you out after a certain number of days.
Speaker 3: Are the incentives misaligned in our society?
Speaker 4: And you're quite right to talk about the incentives. And you know this is well above my pay grade as a venture investor, So.
Speaker 2: That must cross your mind when you're doing the calculation. Have a spreadsheet out.
Speaker 4: So you have to think about, is a solution that is based on innovation coming to market in a way that can at least align enough of the incentives to get there to be used.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the question. Okay, next time, China.
Speaker 4: Next time, China, time China.
Speaker 1: No, I really do want to talk because we're talking about China solar early like yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Have to well, yeah, and we have to also talk about how that intersects with biotechnology beyond healthcare as a technology layer or general purpose technology for security, for defense, for agriculture and food for industrials. You were talking earlier about critical minerals. It's a space where we're looking where bio can have an impact as well.
Speaker 1: See, you always leave us won anymore, Jenny Rook, my pleasure be well, be well, have a good weekend. Thanks for thanks for bringing by Jenny Rook. She's founder imaging director of General Adventures