Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles. How it ahead? He got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Terry's.
Speaker 3: Gonna score Touchdown Slamm the ground by Buddha Baker like a torpedo. He came flying into the back.
Speaker 1: Deal the Rage.
Speaker 2: It is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert Right on the Price, right on the corner of the sand Tan two to two Freeway.
Speaker 3: In Valvis, Wata grab by Trey McBride.
Speaker 2: That was spectacular and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot Com Slash podcast.
Speaker 3: All Right Seas, Rising Up, jimp with you, Rising Vision, Flurry Rage, Take it Ober.
Speaker 2: Here's Paul Calvic.
Speaker 4: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 1: And Ron Wolfley. It doesn't get any better than that the field.
Speaker 4: If you're scoring at home, Ron Wolfully, there are three three kinds of people in the world right now. Okay, you're either at tight end you where Taylor swift Oh stole the show, her first live performance since she wrapped up her record breaking tour in December at twenty four or your super yacht is currently docked in Venice for the Bezos wedding. Okay, that's where Dave Pash is in Italy. Or you are listening to The Big Red Rage, presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are Santane Ford and soon we are to feature former Cardinals running back Chase Edmonds. We are the original Thursday Night Football. Paul Calvic year Ron Wolfley.
Speaker 1: There, how you doing, PAULI you know?
Speaker 4: Did you know? Wolf This is your Holy can only stat of the day. The Bezos super Yacht, by the way, runs about five hundred million or so. Yeah, it has a support vessel that's valued at seventy five million.
Speaker 1: Just to let you know, a support vessel.
Speaker 4: Support vessel.
Speaker 1: Well that's what you were to me all these years of broadcasting. It's good.
Speaker 4: It's sort of like what Caine Brown was on stage with Taylor Swift to tight end. You enough about that. It is the Big Red Ridge and we are talking about maybe arguably the most complete, the best tight end in the NFL by the end of this coming season. Trey McBride. I won't put him out of George Kittle yet, maybe not even Travis Kelsey.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm glad paul I saw one powerpole that at brock Bauers better than Trey McBride as of right here, right now. But uh, I mean wolf considering where he was two years ago, a very underwhelming rookie season to where he is now, what is most impressive about what he's done and basically a year and a half.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm gonna say, Pauli, But it is so true the fact that he's as good of a blocker as he is. It's one of the things I absolutely love about Trey McBride that Polly is number one, because it's such an advantage when you can have eleven personnel, one back, one tight end, three wide receivers Paul in rundown situation first and ten second and one to six, it's so important you can line up in eleven personnel and you can stay balanced, Paulie, you can run the ball effectively, and you can throw the ball effectively. In today's NFL, that to me is almost a must. And it's all because you've got a tight end in Trey McBride who can line up and block, and Paul can I also say this right now, when you can block as well as Trey McBride blocks. Do you have any idea how much more effective it makes you in play action? PAULI, You are ten times more effective in play action as a tight end or play action as an offense when you have a tight end who can line up and block, act like he's blocking at the point of attack, and those second level linebackers and that strong he's gonna sit there and look at him and go, oh, yeah, of course he's blocking. It's rundown situation. And he's a very good blocker. Yeah. They might be running the ball and all of a sudden they suck up and then all of a sudden that tight end releases over the middle. Now he's wide open. I'm telling you, it is absolutely huge in Trey McBride. This is what makes him so good at this point.
Speaker 4: Right, we're gonna ask Chase Edmonds, our special guest tonight, about Trey McBride. You know what else is huge? What has become of tight end? You There were over one hundred and twenty tight ends, including Tim Rieman, including Elijah Higgins as Trey McBride brought him along, and there was Trey McBride, the Cardinals pro bowler, an NFL Live on ESPN and they were asking him about the advice he has received from Travis Kelsey.
Speaker 5: Travis, you know, he would always give us the nuggets on be friendly to the quarterback, make sure you and your quarterback are on the same page. And he kind of plays with the little freedom. Him and Mahomes have this nice connection and I kind of took that and I'm like, why can't Kyler and I have that same connection? And I feel like That's what I've tried to do. I've tried to have that relationship that grow with Kyler and just continue to make place for him and be that security blanket where if he needs somewhere to go with the ball, he always can can throw it to me.
Speaker 1: And that's what I'm trying to do.
Speaker 4: See to me, the progress he has made from year one to his Pro Bowl season, that was most critical that I'm thirding, you gotta have it and Trey McBride's getting double covered. He still got open and Kyler still found him and they were still in sync and they were still unbeatable. That you know what, even Fred Warner had no chance. And to me, if there's one thing that Marvin Harrison Junior can do from his rookie year into year two, and I know he bulked up, and I know he's more explosive, and he's got to get better at the contest to catch. But if he can develop that sort of chemistry, yeah with Kyler that Trey McBride did, I mean, is that feasible? Is that realistic this year?
Speaker 1: No, there's no doubt about it, Paully, It's more than feasible. It's got to happen as far as I'm concerned, because if you've got that tight end who can really work the middle of the field, and you also have a wide receiver, one like Marvin Harrison Junior who can actually work the short, intermediate and deep routs. Paul, you know the way I feel on this. I've been talking about it for a long time now. If you can throw the ball down the field, if Kyler Murray and Marvin Harrison Junior can just throw the ball down the field and do it at a much better rate than what we saw last year, much better success. Right by throwing it down the field, it is going to open up a whole new world for Trey McBride in the middle of the field.
Speaker 4: I guarantee you this offseason, the Rams, the forty nine ers in the Seahawks, they all sat around and said, how are we going to stop eighty five? Because he torched every one of those division teams. They had no answer for Trey McBride and Kyler Murray. This offseason was asked, Okay, just how good can Trey McBride be?
Speaker 6: Tracey has got a great feel, you know, obviously being a tight end and having a little leeway to do things his way now and a lot of confidence, you know, his ability along with the field that he's gained throughout these years. I think sky's a limit for Trey. I think, you know, he be one of the best in the league. I love going to work with him every day.
Speaker 4: It's just a matchup nightmare, isn't it. Well, if it's sort of like you know, George Kittle in his prime, even George Kittle to this day, what do you do. You tried Isaiah Simmons on him, You tried Xavin Collins on him to match his size, but then you can't stay with him in routes. So now you put Buddha Baker on George Kittle and that's always a battle. But ultimately George Kittle has a size advantage. Yeah, that's the similar challenge to Trey McBride presents a defense, right, it's.
Speaker 1: You're right on it, Bully. Although you've got George Kittle and Trey McBride, their bodies are different, no doubt about that. Bodies different. George Kittle much bigger, I would say, a little bit longer. But what makes Trey McBride so much like George Kittle to me? Not only the fact that Trey McBride can hold up at the point of attack, Bully, but you can make a short throw to Trey McBride. You don't have to You don't have to throw it down the field for him to run the ball. You make a short throw to Trey McBride, his ability to run after the catch is off the charts. And who is that? Very similar to George Kittle?
Speaker 4: What do you think about Tip Ryman, Elijah Higgins. We know Drew Petsen, he leads the league nearly every the last two years, twelve and thirteen. Personnel is a room for one of those other tight ends to get into the pass catching game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, tip Ryman, listen, nothing against Higgy Bear. I love Higgy Bear Boy has he developed. This guy has really gotten better. Elijah Higgins definitely, Paul has gotten so much better as a tight end. But Tip Ryman is the guy that year two here it comes. A year one to me was an excellent step in the right direction to have a twelve year career in the National Football League for tip Ryman. Now here we go year two. How much better can tip Ryman get? We we listen to many asin for it. He talks about it all the time. We listen to JG talking about year two and how important year two is for a young guy trying to make it in the National Football League. How much better can tip Ryman get in year two? I don't know, Pauly, Yeah, but I think we're gonna see it.
Speaker 4: Well, you've heard me joke with JG. Half jokingly. You know, I need one tight end screen a game for the two hundred and eighty pounder, you know, and you name that play. Who wants some You just get a tight end screen to Tip Ryman and then everybody just blocks downfield and you'll find out who's gonna make a business decision or not.
Speaker 1: All right, let's just go red, right, who wants the exactly?
Speaker 4: Hey joined the Bird Gang in Dallas from Monday Night Football through Cardinals Premiere Travel hosted by Cardinals Legends. Travel packages will include a chartered flight at the Cardinals Plane Hotel, Accommodation's lower level game tickets and more. Just go to azcardstravel dot com, azcartstravel dot com. All right, Chase Edmonds, we know he can play ball. He can talk ball. We'll talk about that next with Chase Edmonds on the big red rage. Hands off Edmunds off the left side.
Speaker 3: He's got a crease at the fifteen to ten to five touchdown.
Speaker 4: It's a drop play.
Speaker 3: Edmonds straight ahead, twenty to fifteen, breaks a tackle at the ten into the end zone for a second touchdown.
Speaker 4: Hand off to the left side.
Speaker 3: Edmunds, he's got a rubber the twenty to ten to five piece. It again, the hat trick. Third touchdown run. The first two went for twenty a piece. This one goes for twenty two yards.
Speaker 4: After Peterson had.
Speaker 3: A towel and he was waving the towel at Chase Edmonds as if to put out a fire.
Speaker 4: How about that flashback twenty nineteen and how fitting was that the Fordham guy the Fordham fireball if you will back in New Yawk against the Giants, putting the hat trick on the Giants three touchdown runs.
Speaker 7: Wolf.
Speaker 4: What is it about round four draft picks? You know, you guys fight, you guys compete. In fact, there's gonna be so much competition at Cardinals camp this year that by the end of this interview we be out of jobs. As our guest might be the new permanent host of the Big Red Rage by the time we're done. Chase Edmunds, who's great on the field. Behind him, Mike, Chase, how are we doing?
Speaker 8: What's up? Thing that? I appreciate you guys giving me a man, It's really good to hear your voices again.
Speaker 4: I tell you this.
Speaker 1: So, Chase, I got to jump in here, So Paul, I got to jump in here. Chase, and I have to ask you. You were drafted in the fourth round, an excellent round, I might add, But what were you drafted overall? What was your number? One? Four oh one thirty four? Well, hang in there. It's not one oh four like I was dropped to Chase. But what is it bad either? And it's in the fourth round. It's the right rock, well thought, Chase.
Speaker 4: No, I was going to say, if you're if you're going to take a broadcasting job, what can you do America favor and take Steven A. Smiths gig? Okay, because we're all sick of Stephen A. Smith at this point. That's that's that's love to get that job, as you would. And I know you know basketball, but we're talking football and I'm just gonna speaking to compete. Jonathan Gannon, Cardinals head coach, said twice this offseason he wants quote more friction end quote at camp. In a safe way. He said, he wants more physicality, he wants more football, he wants more pads popping. As a player, how do you process that? How will that shape your mindset coming into Cardinals camp this year?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think hearing that as a player myself, to me that that screams one thing, And I think that screams that he wants more competition. I think he's politically trying to say that he wants to really light a fire under his guys, really get after each other, you know, again, in a safe way. Obviously, you never want to get any big time injuries during a training camp. You want to take care of each other. But at the same time as well to really get yourself ready and primed up for the season. And you know, when you're looking at full speed, when the bullets are really fast, and when the real he definitely probably is speaking on just more competitive edge and more competition with one another to really see, you know, who's gonna step up when we need the most, who's gonna step up? You know, when it gets a little fire and the bulls get.
Speaker 1: Hot, so Chase. When you look at the Cardinals offensively and you go big picture on them, where do you think they're going to be strong and where do you think you might need some work?
Speaker 8: Well, I look at Arizona. I bet a lot of people last year didn't think that the run game would be as impactful and as successful as it was looking at just like the pre season. We all know how great James Conter is of itself, but I bet there was you know, a couple of question marks coming in with the oln. They did a great job as a unit, they did whoever their run game coordinate over there was as a coaching staff did an awesome job of just using the run game, the outside zones scheme to really break upen a lot of runs. I think that's something that you really build off of. And for me, I think it's all about, you know, opening up the pass game for Trade McBride and as a tie in the NFL, nothing opens up the pass game for them boys better than play action, and I think that that's something that can continue to kind of be built off of K one strength, just opening the game for him, really kind of lessening the load on his shoulders, having the run game established, using that to actually get some of the receivers opened down as it, but more importantly, really get Trey McBride down the field where you know he's gonna be camele with number one option as you're coming off that strong season that he has. So that's something I'm really looking forward to just seeing again the run game continue to be built on him and really just feature that offense around McBride.
Speaker 4: Right now, former Cardinals running back Chase Edmonds is our guest. And if you're saying yourself, wait a minute, I saw Chase on Good Morning Football a couple of months ago, you would be right, Yeah, so we're gonna talk run game. Let's zoom out here for a minute, because you were talking about James Connor. It was this morning, the question was best one to two running back punch in football right now? And I don't know who the guest analyst was. He went with Breeze Hall and Brelan Allen to the Jets, And I'm like, wait a minute, what about Jamior Gibbs and David Montgomery the Lions? What about even Lamar Jackson and Derreck Henry if you want to go that route, But how about James Connor and an ascending Trey Benson who said he put on seven pounds this offseason and feels way more explosive, And in fact, James kind of raved about Trey Benson. We started running more like James Connor. What do you think about that one two punch?
Speaker 8: I think that's gonna be something that you'll see a lot earlier in the season. I just say that because as effective and that successful as James has been, I think as you get a little bit older, I think that you know, the strategy should be to really get him healthy for seventeen games, so when it comes down to the nitty gritty, when it comes down to those December games, you can really lean on him. So if I was the coaching staff of the Arizona Cardinals, and they do believe in fact that Trey Benson is going to be that second, that second one to two punch behind JC. That you would want to see him early on in the season so he can get a good rhythm, a good flow, and you know, to really see if he really can, in fact be that one two punch behind JC to get it rolling. I think that it's really important again, you know, James, he brings so much more than just his talent to the Cardinals, right you talking about his just his effectiveness is leadership, how he's just so contagious with his mindset. It's really important to have a guy like that always on the field suited up as much as possible. Becau does a lot with the camaraderie in the chrism of the team.
Speaker 1: Chase, I think James Connor is one of the toughest tackles in the football universe. What makes him so tough in your opinion, Oh.
Speaker 8: Man, he absolutely is. It's his contact balance. For me, you look at JC and he runs to the tackles clearly never gets tackled by the first guy. I also think so that James is at least what I saw last year. I got to watch a lot of ball last year, not playing because of the injury, James put on some speed. Man. I don't know if he leaned out, but I just remember when I played with him at twenty one, he didn't seem as fast as he seemed last season. You know, I saw him break a lot of runs. He seemed like a step or two faster than what people probably used were used to seeing on the defensive side of the ball, and that contributed to a lot more of his explosive players as well. But for me, it definitely starts with just a contact balance, man. I mean, he runs so hard and he just shrugs his defenders off with ease because he's just naturally obviously a very strong runner. But definitely, you know, I think another thing that he really does well is James knows how to take on what we call like half a defender in the NFL, so you know, not always running through someone's soul or chess, but just kind of one stepping them and running through half the shoulder. And that's kind of how you see and shruggle off so many more tackles as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt, I mean, he was among the league leaders all season with Derrick Henry for most of mistackles. Force Chase Edmonds is our guest, and you know we talk about James Connery, He's more than a player. He's a mindset, He's a mentality. What about the run game in general? Saquon Barkley said during the playoffs last year that he personally wanted to prove that you could run the football and win a Super Bowl. Now did Philly do that just because he had the best O line and the best running back in the world, or do you think that's feasible for the Cardinals to feature that and have success even into the postseason?
Speaker 8: Really good question, because this is a lot like this is a big topic in locker room as well. I'm gonna personally say that it was the perfect storm in the perfect combination that Philly, you know, was blessed enough to get the best, most explosive running back in the NFL with that magnificent O line. I mean, you had runs where fake Von Barkley was not getting touched until seven yards down the field, and that's just not a winning formula for anybody playing against the Philadelphia Eagles. I'm a believer that in the playoffs, you definitely need an effective run game, but the wins and losses eight nine out of ten times will always come from can your quarterback get it done on third and long? In the playoffs, you know you're playing against really good defenses, everything tightens up, everything gets faster. To me, it's really won and lost and where who has the most success in the red zone and then whose quarterback can really convert on those third downs to keep the drivers going in my.
Speaker 1: Opinion, And not only that, but you know, defensively, have a Buddha Baker on your team that is going to help you an awful lot. Your your thoughts on just Buddha and how he plays the game, Chase, Yeah, man.
Speaker 8: Buddhas were my all time favorite teammates that I got to play the game with the hell of a guy, really good guy first and foremost. But he always I remember, I'll never forget you know when that quote, when that his first quote came out of no fear against Seattle, he hit I think it was Chris Carson that he hit coming downhill. It was either Chris Carson or it was whoever their backup running back at the time was. I'm pretty sure he broke that running backs hit and I just remember him walking back and they got a micd up and he just talking about no fear, no fear, and Uh, Buddha is so inspirational because you know, he's about one hundred and eighty pounds, soaking wet, and he is playing the hardist every single snap on the football field. And he's also the best player ninety nine percent of the time on the football field. And it's just it's amazing to see what he carved out his career as all the Pro Bowls now, all the All Pros. And you know, I'm one of his biggest fans. I know, my dad is probably his biggest fan. My dad loves him some Buddha Baker. He always calls asking about Budda Baker.
Speaker 6: Was b.
Speaker 4: It's funny. I saw that clip the other day, just by chance, he knocked out two Seattle running backs in that game, and it's amazing. You know, he was a Pro Bowler again, he was All Pro again. I still think he's under rated around the rest of the NFL. I think it's only people in Arizona truly appreciate Buddha Baker and his greatness. Let me ask you this Cardinals put a lot of money in that defensive front. Right, If the pass rush is zamped up is much improved than it was a year ago. What do you think that does for Buddha and the rest of that secondary? How many more interceptions for example, could that result in?
Speaker 8: Oh? Yeah, I think when you look at a passing defense as a collectively as a team, whether it's the secondary or the front four, I mean, it's really the match that makes both go. So if you have a really good pass rush, they're getting after the quarterback, balls gonna come out a lot faster. Your cornerbacks can kind of sit on those shorter routes take a few more chances than jump routs just because double moves won't happen as much because the quarterback doesn't have that much time to throw. So it's really a hand in hand thing when you talk about the front four and the secondary. I love what Arizona deal with the front four, bringing in Josh bringing in them. I'm prettyure they brought in a Dalvin Thomason too, right now, yeah, yeah, yeah, So those are two really good movies. You know, DT is going to be more of a stuff the run game kind of guy I don't know how many sacks will get, but he's gonna be an effective first second down in Cherry Linon for them. And then you know, if Josh comes in and does what he does since he's been in Philly, they're gonna definitely have a bigger, much more effective pass rush. So that's something that I'm really intrigued to look at. I think Buddha. It'll give Buddha a little more free reigns to kind of do his thing in the secondary, while he will still be up to the line of skimmerge literally because I think that's where he's best suited, just because I don't think there's a better box safety per se at affecting the run game than Buddha Baking the NFL. But it definitely will give him more free range in those passing situations third and longs chase.
Speaker 1: What is the state of football? Give me the state of football in your opinion in the year twenty twenty five. Where are we I think.
Speaker 8: The state of football right now? What you're seeing is you're seeing a lot of teams one they want the dual threat quarterback, right Yeah, anytime you can get a quarterback that can ease the run game up and help the run game as the offense just because they're an extra threat for another defender in the box. That's something that I think teams are really going after a lot. I will say last year, I'm intrigued to see our teams approach the running back market or just the running back uses, because I think last year there was a lot of running backs that went over a thousand yards. Man, it was kind of as anomaly of how effective running backs were just for some team. So I'm eager to see how that it kind of goes because if you asked me this two seasons ago, I just kept telling you that, yeah, minus a passing league, it's a passing league. It's going that way the whole way. But now you're starting to see, you know, running backs get used a little bit more to kind of help the quarterback out. And I also will say that just because of how talented the position is across the board. Now, if you don't have a one A and a one B in the receiver room, your offense probably won't be the upper half of the NFL in terms of just like scoring. That's that's something that I think is really key. Now you look at a lot of receiver rooms in the NFL. The best offense in the NFL usually have a one A, one B receiver room.
Speaker 4: In my opinion, Chase Edmund's former Cardinals running backs still remember when Kyler came into the league, you said he's like an extra blocker because the defense has to account for him. Here he is going into year seven, Chase, he took twenty seven design runs last year. There's been a lot made of this. Should Kyler run the ball more? For example, Lamar Jackson ran it seventy nine times in design runs. Jane Daniels fifty eight times design runs. What do you think the risk reward is that Kyler running the ball more?
Speaker 8: I think kay one should absolutely run the ball more in terms of design runs. And not only say that because Kyler knows how to not get hit. It's not like Kay One's gonna go out there and get himself hit or get himself in a situation where he's getting risked by a big tom blow for injury. He's one of the better quarterbacks, I think, probably the best quarterback at not taking a big hit. So I think that you kind of roll with that model. I would love to see him get I mean, you said he had twenty seven last year's seventeen games season. If he just has two to two and a half per game, you're looking at like the thirty five to forty five range, and then you know him keep doing what he does on the scrimms when they come. But I think, again, that's just something that helps with the run game as a whole, because now the defense has to scheme for that, you know, and when you have a quarterback design run, it allows you to have an extra blocker and you know you're really running the man or man basch ups when it comes to the run game and trying to break out those explosive plans. So that's something that I would love to see Kate Well just get a little bit more active in the design run calls for him, just because again I think he's tremendous at protecting himself.
Speaker 1: So, Chase, you said one A and one B in receivers. You think that an offense in twenty twenty five has got to have a one A and a one B in receivers. Do you count tight ends in that as well?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Yeah, good catch with you. I should have just said past catchers because I think Trey mcbrid is gonna be the best tight in the football next season.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's a dog.
Speaker 8: I never got to meet him. He's a dog. But I definitely believe that you need a one A one be like, if you don't have two people in your past catching ability team to that have a thousand yards each. And I know that's a little aggressive, but I'm gonna say, you know, one with twelve hundred eighty one, nine hundred, but you're gonna need two guys that really carry that load to create an effective offense. And if you don't have that, then you probably just have a lot of depth in the office of on the offensive side of the bay. You know, you got a lot of guys contributed, But I am a firm believer that you need to to alphas to carry that load to have a top ten, top twelve offense in the NFL right now.
Speaker 4: Well, one A for Chase Edmonds is to be playing ball in twenty twenty five. One B would be if we could talk to them every week, because great, so we'll see how that game plan works out.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: We always enjoy Chase really good stuff. Thanks for the time and the insight.
Speaker 8: Appreciate you guys. Always good talking to you guys. I hope everyone stays healthy and will and always go cars. I'm always in debited to the car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go, double ding, all right, Chase Edmonds, our guest. We continue with a big red rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert the staff to Murray and he's gonna keep the money to the right.
Speaker 3: He's got rumb with the forty five forty He points to the sky as he takes up with the larning and the twenty the tenth to five touchdown a design run for Kyler Murray.
Speaker 4: It goes for fifty yards.
Speaker 7: You know, we haven't had a lot of national games, and you know this guy can make all of those inside the pocket, outside the pocket, and he's quick. You see it on tape. He's out running everybody all the time, even like that forty nine Ers game where in San fran he he points up to the touchdown, you know, forty to fifty yards away, knowing he's going to score it. You know, I haven't seen a QB do day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was straight out of Texas high school football. I mean he got to the second level, the number one went into the air and he gone fifty yard touchdown run on the Cardinals second play from scrimmage. The only thing hotter than the one to eleven out on that field was Kyler Murray number one himself. It is the big red rage by Santan Ford in Gilbert. We heard the respect Chase Edmonds has for Kyler Murray. There's still buds and uh Ron Wolfley, Paul kelbyc back with you here, and I tell you what when it comes to Kyler, there's been a lot of talk about all right, how and where can he get better going into year seven, and a lot of it and this is a lot of Kyler's doing revolves around his legs. He's the one to first really bring it up two months ago going into a softball game.
Speaker 1: Wolf Yeah, you're right about that, Paully. But I've just got a comment on Dave Pash. David, only David would talk about pointing to the sky in the middle of the call, in the middle of the call, only Pash would see you pointing to the sky and say that in his call. Okay, I just wanted to get that out of the way right there. Kyler Murray has got to run the ball and be more spontaneous doing it. That's I think it's the unscheduled run that JG and Drew Petsing would like to see from Kyler Murray. That's my guess. Paully, I could BEng on that. That's my guess.
Speaker 4: Well, for example, there are certain stats and analytics that said he ran the ball really well, really effectively last season. For example, at a career high in yards per carry seven point three and in terms of his rushing yards over expected. One of those analytics, he was the best among all quarterbacks according to Next Gen Stats. He just didn't run it as much as a Lamar Jackson, a Josh Allen, a Jayden Daniels. And and even if Patrick mahomes and here Kyler talk about it, at least with the media, sounds like he was sitting around watching the AFC playoffs wolf and he's like, Oh, look at the threat, look at the weapon legs on a quarterback can become when it's Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, you know, Patrick mahomes On, Keith urd Downs. Hey, wait a minute, I can do that. I run a four to three.
Speaker 1: And especially Paul right, especially because when you think about it, how well the Arizona Cardinals run the ball, yes, in between the tackles, in particular, how well they run on the ball where they can line up in the gun with James Connor right next to Kyler Murray and here comes the zone Raad, Here it comes, and Kyler can keep it and off he goes. It is a great weapon to have, and I love the fact that Drew Petsing likes to show it early. Almost at least in I want to say, the vast majority of the games, Paul, in the first quarter, you'll see the Arizona Cardinals with a called run for Kyler Murray. And I think that is because Drew Petsing is just letting the DC, the defensive coordinator know, hey, listen, you don't think we'll do this, watch this. Oh we'll do it all right. You know what.
Speaker 4: Lorenzo Alexander was on the Red Sea Report earlier this week, and he actually gave you props for that observation. He said, that's absolutely true. He said he does think that's by design. I look into the Chandler Jones back in his heyday, he would always throw a bull rush into the first series or two just to let the tackle know I can go through you if I have to. So there's that. There's also more Buddha on the minachime show, and he was just talking in general about what he's seen from Kyler this offseason.
Speaker 7: He practices really hard, you know, he tells receivers what to do, you know, how to do it. He's kind of been in his bag this whole off season, you know, doing no look throws and you know, having a great offseason training camp. So K one's gonna you know, he's gonna run a little bit more, you know, a little outside of the pocket inside the pocket throws. You know, he's he's gonna kind of do it all.
Speaker 4: That's intriguing. I mean, sort of like Kyler putting his finger to this guy calling a shot Buddha Baker forecasting more Kyler in the run game. I think the question is more design runs or to your point, more off schedule, which Drew Petsen has talked about.
Speaker 1: That's exactly it. Pay again, maybe maybe both, Maybe yes is the answer. Now, maybe they're gonna encourage him to pull the ball down and run more. And I think that is an excellent thing to do when you think about it. Paully, think of Russell Wilson up in Seattle. How many years he tore our hearts out by watching him on a third and ten rush, pull the ball down third and ten and rush for eleven yards and move the chains. Just a backbreaker. And it's one of the reasons why you want to do it as well, because polly sucking the life out of your opponent is a good thing in the football field. It is a good thing. You want to demoralize them. There are a couple of ways you can do that. Number One, you just line up and run the ball right over him and a north southway. It's the most demoralizing thing in the game. I've said it many many times in the past. Number Two, have a quarterback who can pull the ball down when it's third and eight, third and obvious and convert with his legs. That is demoralizing as well. And that's what you want to do, not only beat a defense, but demoralize him in the process.
Speaker 4: You go back to the Cardinals last playoff season. It was Week four, I believe at the La Rams. It was a tight game, was third and sixteen. I remember it vividly. Kyler ran for seventeen. The entire Rams defense was deflated, was demoralized, depressed. It was a route from that point forward. He absolutely demoralized him. Yep, So, okay, we have that. I have a few other areas where I believe Kyler can get better and dare I say will get better in year seven? You're ready for this quick checklist?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: Number one deep pass. His first couple of years in the league, he was among the league leaders in efficiency on the deep chunk throws.
Speaker 1: Paul, I'm so glad you said that, though, because everything else comes off of that.
Speaker 4: Okay, proceed Number two throwing wide receivers open. They might be covered, but you're gonna throw it to a spot where only the receiver can get it, in particular a Marvin Harrison Junior and a Michael Wilson, and that.
Speaker 1: Means attack the ball. Marvin Harrison Junior attacked the ball.
Speaker 4: Okay. Number three, chemistry with receivers sort of like what you've been able to forge with Trey McBride ever since his rookie year. Can you achieve some of that with Marvin Arrison Junior, Michael Wilson, Greg derch Zay Jones.
Speaker 1: The only thing I would say is don't force it. Don't force it. Let it happen very organically.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've tried to force the mantra, come for the arms, stay for the legs over the years, hasn't got a lot of traction. But we already talked about the legs. So I'll go to number five, passing under pressure when pressured and in weeks yeah, twelve, thirteen and fourteen, a critical stretch of the Cardinals season coming out of the by when Kyler was under pressure. According to next Gen Stats, he went seven of twenty seven passing fifty nine yards, zero touchdowns, five picks. Now, once again, it's not always on the quarterback where the receivers in the right spot, where the receivers coming back for the ball. Were the receivers making adjustments when they knew the quarterback was under duress. I think as an offense, they have to be better when Kyler is under pressure.
Speaker 1: Yes, Paulli, it's a great observation by you right there, and think about this. You gotta go ahead and get the ball out quicker two. That's why you don't want to be in third and obvious pass situations, Paul, you don't want Kyler in third and obvious. It's the reason why first and second down really matter. You want him in third and three, third and four, you want him in that area. So now, all of a sudden, anything could happen. A quick pass could beat you and move the chads right.
Speaker 4: Speaking to receivers, get ready for the twenty twenty five season with the latest gear from the Cardinals team shop, including the recently drop Marvin Harrison junior jersey. Go to Azycardinals dot com slash shop today, Azycardinals dot com slash shop. You know where else Kyler I think gets better this year is when he has to compete against a much improved defense in practice every day. That Cardinals defense in mini camp, I'm told was really balling and really give them the offense all they can handle. We'll talk more about that next. It is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert We are sandtan Ford.
Speaker 3: So it takes play fake boot to the left looking dumping it off near side. He'll caught it and tackled immediately by Buddha Baker. It's going to be a negative play right now, they're saying incomplete as Hill and Buddha Baker are jawing a little bit.
Speaker 9: He's not backing down from anybody, man. I mean he's a captain for one of the reasons he's a captain is his intensity and his mode of play. And that's how he's always been and he's going to max out every single snap and he ain't backing out from anybody.
Speaker 4: Five time team Captain, seven time Pro bowler, four time All Pro Buddha Baker, and one epic memorable trash talk session with Tyreek Hill there on the road in Miami early in the game, set in the tone face mask to face mass rooting in a tutin two of them going at it as a There was Buddha and guess what there were the Cardinals pulling away in the second half for a win at Miami. It is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford, Paul calvic, Ron Wolfley, and a Bodah Baker, who I still well for all his accolades. I still don't think people appreciate it, especially last year, quite to the degree they should. He set a career high in tackles of bucks sixty four, number two in the NFL, and tackles the top ten were all inside linebackers and Buddha. And it's the most tackles by a Cardinals player in a single season since at least nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, Paul, didn't you get in between Buddha and Tyreek Hill. Didn't you get in a.
Speaker 4: Couple of fine diminion of Americans? They said, guys, come on, break it up. Over here, break it up. We got a long game.
Speaker 1: Truly incredible. You know, I say this all the time about Buddha, Baker, Polly, it is. It's amazing. Though you just watch him on tape. He does two things. He does two things. He goes to the wall fearlessly, and he does it every play. Those two things, that's what he does.
Speaker 4: And this defense, Johnathan again and Nick Ross, they are getting the best out of Buddha, as evidenced by those numbers. Not only a career high end tackles, but he had ten tackles for loss, He had five passes defense, he had three quarterback hits, two sacks. In other words, he's all over the field. And here he is with Mina Kimes and she asked him just about how the Cardinals have evolved their defensive scheme.
Speaker 7: They did a great job just watching the film each and every year and kind of evolving their defenses. You know, they came from Philadelphia and they did a lot of stuff in Philly. They also had a great d line. But in this scene, it gives the ability for the you know, the dbs and the linebackers to kind of not exactly show our hand to the offenses until the ball snapped. So add that with the with the great defensive line and some edge rushers, you know, we're cooking with hot reed.
Speaker 4: Is there any doubt in your mind that they unlocked Buddha Baker last season?
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you're you're right, Balie. They put him in position, keeping him in the box, around the box an awful lot. I should say, not just in it, but around it and in it from time to time. He did both, but just allowing him to use his instincts. Paul, I've said this many times. It's the truth. It's Troy Palamalu. Palamalu was just like that as well, and the Steelers used him just the way that I saw Nick rawlis using Buddha Baker last year an awful lot. Sometimes the blantz sometimes not to giving him the option whatever it is, keeping him in the middle of the field, letting him read plays, diagnose plays. Buddha is really good and he's got good instincts. And then to make tackles. Oh my goodness, that's why Buddha had over one hundred and sixty tackles.
Speaker 4: So, you know, last year I was sort of on a mission. I was trying to figure out exactly what and how they were unlocking Buddha. Baker and I kept getting the heisman in that locker room. But then then Wolf late December January, I started to get a little bit info from a few guys, and you're on it. I mean, there's not much more I can add to that other than they really allowed Buddha to have more on the quarterback. They put him inside more so it wasn't as easy for offense as to go to one side or the other because he was more in the center of the box and so he could get, you know, to either side at the same time when he wanted to go, when he wanted to shoot his gun, he would just do it with instincts, like you said, Troy Polamalo, and then the secondary would adjust accordingly. They would watch number three and they say, Okay, is he going, is he going? He's going boom? Everyone would check and they would have some of his responsibilities if he decided to let it rip and go downhill.
Speaker 1: PAULI, that is that is really brilliant. It is that the rest of the secondary is basically going to read Buddha. Very interesting. Just like a wide receiver has got to read coverage on a read route yep. So all of a sudden, you've got this secondary actually reading one player that might blitz or not. That that is brilliant to me.
Speaker 4: In fact, Mina Kaim smart enough to drill down a little deeper with Buddha and just the scheme and how it allowed him to be near number one receivers more.
Speaker 7: I love it. You know, it gives me the opportunity to kind of be where opposing number one receivers are instead of just you know, being at free statety all day. And you know that can give offenses opportunities to kind of stay away, and this game is it's not like that, So I'm excited.
Speaker 4: Well, if you had a chance to interview a lot of Cardinals players in the offseason, like yours truly did. I had two guys, Jalen Thompson and Starling Thomas both confirm that team started stealing the Cardinals defensive schemes and their coverages towards the end of last season. Is there any greater compliment then when you're plagiarized, when people are, you know, just copying what you're running and you're seeing on a film, when you're watching other teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're right about that, Polly. There is no better compliment than imitation. You're going to start ripping off from other teams. That is amazing. But you know what, Pauline, I want to go back to Buddha Baker and Buddha Baker when he signed his extension with the Arizona Cardinals. Don't tell me for a minute. The culture is what he loves here. But you also have to believe that Nick rawlis using him the way that he does and allowing him to play in this defense. Don't tell me that that didn't have something to do with Buddha Baker looking at himself and his career in saying, yeah, this is the place for me.
Speaker 4: And what's amazing is what James Connor has done for Trey Benson. Trey Benson admitting recently the yeah, a lot of his play style now has been influenced by James Connor kram at vertical. There's no doubt that has rubbed off on Trey Benson. I asked Rabbit this week, right year two safety, and he said, absolutely, JT and Buddha's playing style has rubbed off on me. I thought I was a pretty good tackler, but I watch those guys. They try and plant people. They try and pick him up and plant him into the ground. So now that's what I'm trying to do. It's really interesting. I think you're seeing this in all the position rooms. It's a key reason why the Cardinals obviously added Kaleis Campbell with two young first round defensive linemen. These younger guys learning from experts of the craft, the veteran guys, some of the team leaders in that locker room.
Speaker 1: Well, especially too if you're a Rabbit, because Rabbit is not a big guy. He's not a proto typical safety in the National Football League. He's more towards Buddhist size, yep. And because of that, he's got to be greatly encouraged watching this guy do what he does right in front of him every Sunday. That's got to help.
Speaker 4: So we asked Chase Edmonds about the Cardinals improved pass rush and potentially what that could do for the secondary and the interceptions in general. I'm pretty convinced if you made me give you a forecast, a prediction, a hot take for this coming year, the Cardinals will double their interceptions from twenty twenty four to twenty five as a team. Great the pass rush, yes, and because of the improved hopefully cornerback play with instinctive ballhawks like Will Johnson for example, Max Melton in year two, you know, Buddha getting his hands on the ball, mors, they are able to free them up even more. Cardinals had nine interceptions as a team last year. Only seven teams had fewer. The team leader last year was Minnesota with twenty four. The Houston Texas number two with nineteen interceptions. Woh, I mean.
Speaker 1: Wolf, think about that, Paul, twenty four picks to nine. That's a huge difference.
Speaker 4: When NFL games are decided by one, two or three plays a game, right if you're getting a pick. For example, the Cardinals loss at Seattle coming out of the by what was the decisive play in the game. The Kobe Bryant picked six Yeah. To me, I think the Cardinals will have a ton more interceptions, you know. I mean they can end up with eighteen, and they can double it. I think you could almost go ahead and put it in pen. They're a postseason team if they get that many more turnovers considering how critical turnovers well, in this case, interceptions were on the offense down the stretch a year ago.
Speaker 1: Just stay secondary's past friend to have a vicious pass rush, and I think that's what we're going to see. And it's not just what I love about this Polly. It's not just skulls. It's not just the fact they've added Josh Swatt. It's not the fact that Delvin Tomlinson, it's not Kalais Campbell. It's not the fact that they've added the just these skulls. It's also the scheme that Nick Rawlis can come up with as well. Listen, sometimes one of the most effective things you can do is not bring five or six, just rush four. Are they going to have the ability to do that? Yes?
Speaker 4: And you know how we know that because Nick Rawlis confirmed as much with you, well almost he just speculated openly when he was on with you. A couple of weeks ago, and he said, well, it's totally different when you don't have to worry about bringing numbers to stop the run. When I can line up four and feel confident we're going to stop the run because I have the dudes upfront who can win their one on ones. Right, man, think of what's possible if you're the defensive coordinator. What's schemes might be coming this year? Cardinals single game tickets on sale now at Asycardinals dot com Slash Tickets. Special thanks as always Jim Mamahundro, Cody Fincher, Ali Narini, our special guest former Cardinals running back Chase Edmonds for Ron Wolfley on Paul Calvic. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway and Valvista. The Rage is brought to you by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcast.
Speaker 1: We're gonna see a little big Red Rage football right here.
Speaker 2: This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club