Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news to Clarida's with.
Speaker 2: Us with PIMCO of Columbia University, always and always the vice chairman and former vice chairman, I should say, the Federal Reserve System. And I think you know we're going to straddle here between Bloomberg money and everything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we got to start with what we saw in the bond market this week because we had to sell off in the thirty year yield this week reached a nineteen year high five point twenty six percent. Rich Clarida, does this sell off in the long line tell us anything about the US economy and therefore how people's prospects might change.
Speaker 4: Well, there are a lot of reasons bond eels can go up and down, not just the FED.
Speaker 5: The FED is an important part of it.
Speaker 4: What I would point to is that so far Kevin Warsh has been shared really only six seven weeks, but an important measure in the bond market, which is break even inflation, so sort of traders expectation of inflation is ad or below where it was at least out to ten years when he became chairman. But certainly the reaction during the press conference was probably not one that was welcome.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: We know the first Trump administration cared a lot about the stock market, and the second one seems to have added the bond market to its list of things that is watching. Which part of the bond market does this administration care most about the thirty year yield?
Speaker 1: The ten year yield?
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: I would defer, probably as Secretary bust and I do think at one point he may have said that he's focused more on the ten year yield than he is on the Fed funds rate. Well, so much of the economy people borrow along for car loans or mortgages or corporate loans, and so that's probably what he had in mine.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what we're going to do here, it's Bloomberg money. We do personal finance, we do wealth management, we do retirement. But we also have Richard Clarita where this is in the heart of this debate over the chairman of the Fed. So it's going to be a little bit sort of like scarfou and Time doing Bloomberg surveillance, like more.
Speaker 5: You protect the children mind or blurry the protect the children at home valance?
Speaker 2: Fine, Okay, so the former Vice Chairman with great respect, I don't want to turn this into a history lesson, but you have Wosh nominally of Stanford talking about the Lucas critique and then going over what people don't know is you're directly involved with this. Let's first listen to Chairman Worsh on Wednesday.
Speaker 6: Some version of the Lucas critique should remind us that when we talk about measures of inflation or something else, and we describe those measures as being consistent with our objectives, we might make them such that they're not very good measures or very good objectives.
Speaker 2: The chairman, before we had the questions to Michael McKee.
Speaker 5: Of Bloomberg, the world lit up.
Speaker 2: An along with legit cred out of Lucas's Chicago was fiery. The news conference was rich in philosophy, process and institutional aspirations, but poor in operational guidance. The absence of Clarida like analytical specificity appears to have spoken louder.
Speaker 5: Than Worsh's words. So Lucas did what he did.
Speaker 2: CGG, Clarida, Galli, and Gertner reinvented modern economics with something called dynamic stochastic general equilibrium theory. We come out now, And as Claudia sam says, we have a chairman who's not sure what he's looking at an inflation How does he get the burls Macon. Does he need to reaffirm PCE is the inflation series?
Speaker 4: Well, I think what he said at the press conference is for now until next January at least that's going to be correct. So the FED adopted that again in January. He left open the possibility that the task forces could recommend other measures. They could go to an average instead of picking one INDUX, they could look at CPIPPI. There are a lot of things they could do. But I think Anna as usual raised is an important point is that an inflation targeting central bank needs to be clear about what it is is targeting.
Speaker 5: It can and.
Speaker 4: May evolve, and so I think that will be important very importantly.
Speaker 2: Then here if we need to get the system back with a confidence about the.
Speaker 5: FED, Yeah, how does he do that?
Speaker 2: At Jackson Hole?
Speaker 5: Does he have to reaffirm, as.
Speaker 2: Somem says, that inflation is the appropriate measurement and not a policy.
Speaker 4: Well, I think Jackson hole may serve a couple purposes. Historically, as we've seen, chairs have used Jackson hole as sort of a sneak preview of coming attractions at the September, November, and December meetings.
Speaker 5: Chairman war Shennity may do that.
Speaker 4: He's also interested in what he called some big question, big picture questions that he sort of previewed at this meeting, and he's also talking to the task forces. So I think it's too early to tell what he'll do at Jackson Hole, but he may do that as well.
Speaker 3: I find it really interesting that he doesn't want to tell the bond market a whole lot of things, and he's kind of waiting to take his cue from the bond market. From a lay person's one of you, it feels very circular, right. The Central Bank sets a benchwork indust rate, the bond market.
Speaker 1: Takes its que from that.
Speaker 3: What's the rationale for the FED to take its queue from the bond market that's relying on the FED to set policy.
Speaker 1: Help me understand that.
Speaker 4: So here's the way I would express it. The FED is a very important part of ten year treasury yields. It's not the only thing that drives yields. So I think the chairman was important to emphasize that the FED does want to step back and inter movements in bond yields. It could be inflation, it could be global growth, Middle East hostilities, but certainly the Chairman and the Fed understands that an important part of tenier yields is the expected path of the funds rate. And to Scarlett's point, and I actually Ben bernanke gave it a speech on this, as did I as Vice chair. It's called sometimes called the hall of mirrors problem in central banking, which is the central bank looks at the market, the market looks at the central bank.
Speaker 5: It could get circular.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to your page. Galli and Gertler didn't know this. Richard claareda channeling Alan Blinder. Having looked at monetary policy from Joni Mitas both sides, now I can testify that central banking in practice is as much an art as a science. How does worsh get back to science to Clariita silence versus some mom and pop philosophy you learned at Stanford.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I think Kevin Walsh and the committee understand that. Look, Kevin came in, Chairman Warsh came in with an ambitious agenda, and I think that they're going to both focus on implementing that agenda as well as getting to where they need to be on policy. I guess where I would try to relate Clarita Galley Gertler to the current conversation is perhaps specifically in the domain of forward guidance, and so in the CGG model there's actually not a role for forward guidance because the market understands the FED reaction function and the FED understands the market. If you're not going to do forward guidance, then it's incumbent for the markets to have a broad understanding of how the central bank will re act to data. If we had six bad months in a row of inflation data, would they hike and by hand much? They're not committing to that, but they're saying if the data comes out this way, For.
Speaker 2: Everybody on Bloombered Money and Scott I got goosebumps. This is like the real deal. I mean, this is what the adults in the room are arguing about right now.
Speaker 3: Well, for people who are watching this and don't quite know all the names that you and Rich are throwing out there, I want to bring it back to the real economy and to real people's concerns. Do you agree with those people who say that we have a K shaped economy where the higher income and asset owners are doing well and everyone else is kind of struggling that downward arm.
Speaker 1: And if so, how do we solve for that?
Speaker 4: Well, Yes, broadly we do and have had a K shape economy for some time, but the K, the branches of the K, have been diverging more widely in the last six or seven years. The way I like to think about Scarlett is roughly sixty percent of Americans live in a house that's owner occupied housing, sometimes with their parents, but it's owned about forty percent rent. That sixty percent owned stocks, most of the other forty percent doesn't. So we've been in an economy for some time, but especially in the last six years when stocks have gone up, house prices have gone up. So the top of that K is doing pretty well. If you're in the other part of the K, you don't own your house, you don't know a lot of stocks, you're living paycheck to paycheck.
Speaker 5: It's it's been a tough.
Speaker 4: Six years, and so there's there's no doubt we're in a case shay to.
Speaker 1: The services costs just keep getting more expensive as well.
Speaker 5: Lumbered.
Speaker 3: Money is about how you invest and make your money, but it's also about how you spend your money. So Rich Clark, I want to ask you on this Friday, what's your splurge?
Speaker 1: First of all? And how do you save? What do you save? Well?
Speaker 5: I leave the saving to my wife. She's she's pretty good at it.
Speaker 4: My splurge is on My hobby is music, So I buy guitars, I buy recording equipment.
Speaker 5: Really, I als spend money. I'm recording my album. So yeah, that's my splurge.
Speaker 1: Didn't reach a recording album in twenty sixteen, I.
Speaker 4: Did available Spotify, Apple Music stream for free on YouTube. The new album's coming out later this year. Maybe we'll do a rollout party on this show.
Speaker 1: Oh it's a follow up. Yeah yeah, Well what's it called.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be called Take two?
Speaker 1: Take two? Okay? And what folk music?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What's your vibe?
Speaker 5: Olk rock? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Folk ross someone who listened to too many Beatles albums.
Speaker 2: And I will editorialize as I've heard it. It is not a vanity album. It is exquisite.
Speaker 5: I was shocked.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you really really quite thank you?
Speaker 3: Quit and you're the solo star like I don't hear a band name in there.
Speaker 4: I write the songs and do the vocals, but I work with professional studio musicians in London, LA and Nashville. So all the music you hear is really good playing and then I do some singing on it.
Speaker 3: All right, Richard Clarts a new album coming out with Day Well by.
Speaker 5: December thirty first.
Speaker 3: By December thirty first, Richard Claiter to thank you so much, called Global Economic Advisor, the former Federal Reserve Vice chairman, and of course Columbia University professor as well