Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It is our two on this Tuesday. Morale is high got the Minister of humor, he got seat and Marv Paul years truly JJ. What we'll join us in about twenty minutes from now. The big topic today the Tush push. The Philadelphia Eagles and the Green Bay Packers reportedly have come forward to say, we object, your honor, we would like to get rid of this play. And Diana Rossini did the great work on this to find out that we knew one team had come forward, and that's all it takes to get it started. Now, all of a sudden, you put it in front of the competition committing and maybe something happens. Maybe you change it, maybe you tweak it, maybe you just get rid of it. This is what the NFL. If the NFL is going to eradicate the Tush push, they're going to need injury data because that trump's everything. Once you have that, nobody argues. Nobody can argue because it's safety first in the NFL, or they want you to believe that. But this they might just say, you know what, it's too predictable, it's boring. Maybe this the Eagles have mastered this and this is the old version of the extra point where they're going to get it right ninety eight point six percent of the time. Maybe that's what they want to get rid of. They don't want that. I still think the simple solution is just don't allow somebody behind Jalen Hurts to push.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: We'll dive into this a little deeper here in a moment. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading napp our radio affiliates around the country. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by a Panini America official trading cards of the program. Bridget Jones is back. Yes, it is the final chapter in Bridget Jones Matt about the Boy. Renee Zelwigger stars in the new original film streaming now on Peacock. All right, Satan poll question from our one and what are we going to start out with?
Speaker 4: In hour two hour one? We had up there today?
Speaker 5: The Green Bay Packers are heroes or zeros? Voting is close. Voting is very close right now. It's at fifty one percent Heroes. It was slightly higher, but the Zeros have been trending upwards. They have about forty nine percent think they're zeros.
Speaker 2: That's probably because we have a large audience in the state of Wisconsin. So they're fighting for their right as they should. Yes, they they should put up a good fight. I'm fine with them, yes, Paul.
Speaker 6: But do you think that the NFL believes that most football fans want to play gone? Yes, they'll push to make it gone because there's only one team that's going to fight for it.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you can't single out a team like this.
Speaker 6: They're going to use language they'll say in the spirit of competition and safety where they won't present any numbers.
Speaker 7: They'll just make it.
Speaker 6: I think it was like twenty seventeen eighteen guys were jumping over the line to block kicks.
Speaker 2: Twenty seventeen they outlawed it. It was legal, but that I can understand the safety element of that, jumping up, jumping on somebody, stepping on somebody, landing on somebody.
Speaker 6: Nobody actually got hurt, and they didn't use numbers. They just said we're getting rid of this. But it was a loophole a bunch of teams used.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: I think because the Eagles have mastered it and nobody else has now let's say four other teams were successful, then would they get rid of this. I don't I don't mind it. I mean football is about me against you. That's the ultimate me against you. Now it might not be sexy. I mean they love throwing the football and you know, getting touched down all that stuff. First touchdown in the Super Bowl was the tush push. I'm okay with it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: See.
Speaker 5: It's weird though because we've had, uh, we've had some coaches on before and they hate the play because they're like, eh, that's not a football play or to me, it seems like the ultimate football play. But they're a lot of coaches criticize it as a rugby play, not a football play.
Speaker 2: It's not a strategy play. It's just brute force against brute force. But I mean, really that's what the NFL was about. My line against your line, offensive line against defensive line. I just worry about the jumping over that we saw with the Commanders against the Eagles down at the goal line in the playoffs, Like that would concern me because you're going to keep jumping over you could you know, dive over and hit the quarterback. You know, that would be a concern.
Speaker 7: For me.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and five, the NFL made the penalty only for pulling or carrying, removing the flag in cases of pushing, so pushing the runner eventually became a key strategy. This was twenty twenty. The Eagles adopted the Brotherly shove, and the NCAA followed that as well. They allowed the pushing of a runner in twenty thirteen. Pushing still remains illegal in high school games. Go back five when you had the Reggie Bush push with Matt Liinerd against Notre Dame. They shouldn't allow that.
Speaker 7: That's all.
Speaker 2: You just don't allow somebody behind the runner to push the runner. I think it simplifies everything. Then it's just a quarterback sneak. You're not going to outlaw the quarterback sneak, correct, not going to be able to do that. But assuming the runner in interlocking interference, no offensive player may pull a runner in any direction. This is Rule twelve player conduct. By the way, you can't use interlocking interference. I don't even know what the hell this is. This is way lawyers go, hey, you know what, I got some language in here. It'll confuse the media. Well job, well done. You can't grasp a teammate or use his hands or arms to encircle the body of a teammate in an effort, so you can't hold on to them like here on the back of a motorcycle. You can't throw his body against a teammate to aid him in an attempt to obstruct an opponent, or recover loose ball. For assisting the runner, the penalty is a loss of ten yards. Just don't let somebody push the quarterback at all. Then's a quarterback sneak. You're going to outlaw the quarterback sneak. Yes, Paul, you're right. It was two thousand and five.
Speaker 6: Like you said, the NFL allowed pushing of the ballcarrier but said pulling is still illegal. Mike Perero was the director of officials back then and did an interview with the La Times. He said the league found it was so difficult to officiate pushing at the ball carrier. When did it happen in the pile downfield? So they just removed it, which opened up the door to push ball carriers. And then years later the Eagles took advantage of it.
Speaker 2: And I know that there's an injury risk on the play. Chris Jones got his neck screwed up a little bit in the Super Bowl. I get it, but were there injury concerns with the quarterback sneak. I don't remember anybody saying the quarterback sneak is unfair. Tom Brady is too good at it, and he was too good at it, but they didn't try to outlaw it. This is the player behind the quarterback. That's all it is. Get rid of it and then all of a sudden, that's exactly what you have, a quarterback sneak. The Eagles and Buffalo Bills have used the quarterback or the push the tush push one hundred and sixty three times over the last three seasons, so that's more than the rest of the league combined. Philadelphia and Buffalo scored a touchdown or gained a first down eighty seven percent of the time, the rest of the league seventy one percent rate. But Sean McDermott, the head coach of the Bills, has come out to say that he is worried about the injuries. Now, Buffalo didn't do the tush push when they really needed a yard in the playof it didn't work. So I don't know if a team has mastered something where the NFL goes out of its way to penalize them by taking it away, maybe jumping. You know, Jamie Collins with the Patriots was really good at blocking kicks, jumping up, block jumping on people, jumping over Cam Chancellor. But I don't know if the NF the NFL doesn't look good if they go, you know what, guys are too good at this. It'd be like saying to Patrick Mahomes, you can't throw the ball to Tyreek kill, Like that's not fair. You guys are too good. At what point do you go, I'm going to I'm gonna get rid of this. I'm gonna get rid of this because it's boring or nobody else can stop this, and maybe it happens. Maybe there's enough of, you know, a push to this from everybody else. But I would need data. I need injury data, and then all of a sudden you can pass this through. The commissioner can just say all right, I'm gonna rubber stamp this going through. We're done with this, but you're going to hear a lot more about this play over the next probably three weeks, four weeks, maybe even longer, And you know, the combine. Everybody's there. At the combine, you're going to have the NFL Draft. It'll probably be a topic of conversation. You have the committed and and if we don't address it now or the NFL doesn't address it now, I don't want to hear about it in October. This is it. Like if we get talk September October the super Bowl. You can't go all of a sudden. You know that's not fair. This is when it needs to be discussed and they decide if they want to keep it or get rid of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul, I remember thinking during the Super Bowl when they showed that shot of the sidelines and Chris Jones he's having his neck adjusted. He looked like he was in pain. I remember thinking, in that moment, if he doesn't return to this game, there's your opening. A big name star player in the biggest game hurts his head neck area on the tush push. That's where you're like, I don't need data. I got that video right there.
Speaker 2: A lot of times what happens is you need that moment. I don't want to say a player gets injured, but that does sometimes. You know Tom Brady when he got injured, when Bernard Pollard went low on his knee to change changed the game where you have that moment where somebody gets injured or there's a penalty, or a game has changed because of a certain call. But Chris Jones was lined up at an angle on the tush push and look, is it a Is it a mass scrum? It's a mosh pit? Absolutely it is. But Philidelph, if Philadelphia didn't win the Super Bowl, if Philadelphia wasn't successful as a team, would this be an issue? If Philadelphia had a season like Jacksonville, would we be up in arms? And the answers, No, you don't want the best team to get away with something. Hey that's not fair. Okay, what are you gonna do about it? Well, we're gonna tell the commissioner. Okay, it's like that picture's throwing too hard. You know when you're a little league, it's like, hey, he's throwing too hard. All right, you got to pay. Don't throw so hard. Throw a couple of breaking balls. Get Tommy john surgery, all right, So jj Watt will join us. PAULI reached out to him and he said that he has some strong opinions on this. Uh, Joe and Montana, Joe, Good morning. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Good morning Dan and Dan at second time long time six three six, got you? I just got back reported by Arta. Hey, I'm not even going to dignify this push with a fancy name like tush push. It's assisting players.
Speaker 9: Dan.
Speaker 8: Do you remember the Ice Bowl?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 8: Okay? The back behind Bart Starr? What did he do when Bart went into the end zone?
Speaker 2: I think he laid on him.
Speaker 8: No, he put his hands up. And why did he do that.
Speaker 2: So he wouldn't be accused of pushing him in?
Speaker 8: That's correct. I am totally against this push.
Speaker 7: I'm an old guy.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna get off my turf guy, and I don't like the way the NFL is going fritzy. That picture of Bud Grant, I grew up in Minnesota. That picture of Bud Bud Durrant. Please cover it because he doesn't want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, thank you, Joe, Joe and Montana. Was that Chuck mrcine, the running back behind Bart Starr when he had the quarterback sneak behind Jerry Kramer. Jethro Pugh was the defensive lineman for the Cowboys when Bart went in for the quarterback sneak NFC Title game number thirty. Is that right, correct?
Speaker 7: Number thirty?
Speaker 6: Chuck Marsine, Yes, he kind of lay his weight towards Bart Starr, but he puts his hands up like I'm not doing anything.
Speaker 2: Let me see Andrew in Washington. Hi Andrew, good morning, DP and Danna. Thanks for taking my call. As far as that push push, I don't think it makes a difference. Behind Jalen Hurts if somebody pushes him.
Speaker 10: There's reports out there that he can, you know, squat five or six hundred pounds as far as he gets, they don't need somebody to push him, So I say it doesn't really matter. I think the Green Made Packers was just a team in the meeting that decided to say, Okay, fine, we'll say something, so they brought it up.
Speaker 1: On that note, I.
Speaker 10: Also do have a stat of the day a couple of them. The Lakers actually go into tonight's game with the highest defensive rating in the NBA over the last fifteen games, so they are doing something different. And with their comeback win last night in overtime over the Thunder, the Minnesota Timberwolves became the first team in NBA history to win a game on the road against a team with an eighty percent or better winning percentage when entering the four quartered down at least twenty points.
Speaker 2: Stat of the day, stat of the day, That beast stat of the day.
Speaker 7: Stat of the day? Here comes that? What stat of the day?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna throw a flag on Andrew on that one. That's a little too too deep of a cut.
Speaker 7: A little too deep there.
Speaker 2: Jake in Minnesota, Hi, Jake, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey? Dan?
Speaker 11: Two things for you? Want to comment about the touchbush? I sort of relate it to salbating in the NBA. That was a big talk of discussion. Obviously two very different things, but it feels like the NBA tried to do something. James Harden championed it, and now we're still talking about it. So I don't think the touchbush is going anywhere. But I did have a question for you that's sort of irrelevant on the discussion we're having. You always talk about how you when you game, when you came into the business here, you sort of took fandom ship out of everything, But what about when you're like watching the American like for the four Nations face out for the Olympics. Do you root for the Americans there, Danny.
Speaker 2: Nope, Nope, doesn't matter. It became a there was better content because Canada won. I'm in the content business. What is the best story? But look, do I want Americans to win? Yeah, But if you said Canada was going to win, the four nations got to be like great, I'm fine with that. Sweden's got I don't care. It's what is the best story to tell instead of you know, that's a predictable story over and over and over, like Kansas City. If Kansas City had won the Super Bowl, fine, Eagles winning great, doesn't matter. I do miss the high highs and low lows when it comes to fandom. I've said that before. That's the one thing that I had to sacrifice. But you have to do that because I don't want you to go, oh, he's got a bias towards or against because I I can't do that. You can't do this job and be a fan. Others do it. Good for them. I came into the business the same way I'm going to go out, and that is trying to be fair to everybody. The best I can do. I root for a player or a story, yes, but if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world to me. I'm not emotionally invested like that. I'm intellectually invested. I have to do a job, and that's the best way I can do my job. I do root for JJ Watt and his broadcasting career. I do got another baby on the way and I root for him having as many babies as and his soccer team Burnley Y. Yeah, I hope that he does well with that. They're looking at promotion.
Speaker 4: I think I think they're third in the championship, which means they would be right in like a playoff spot to get up to Okay, exciting.
Speaker 2: Well, JJ Watt is going to join us coming up right after this Pan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search cobe on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up, update our poll results. He is NFL Today CBS Studio analyst and a three time NFL Defensive Player of the Year and waiting for another baby on the way.
Speaker 7: Is that right?
Speaker 2: What's the time frame for baby number two?
Speaker 7: Dropping this summer, this summer, looking forward to it, Okay, any advice?
Speaker 3: No, Obviously you start thinking about like how many and everything. And I've been asking a lot of people and there's it's almost split fifty to fifty on people to say going from one to two is harder, going from two to three is harder.
Speaker 2: I would say one to two is going to change you. But two to three, now you're already in chaos. So once you get to three. We got to three and we meet at least said we wanted to have a fourth, like we didn't. Wow, that was it? So I had four? Well my wife had four under seven years of age, so we were it was. It was chaos, it really was. But looking back on it, they grew up together. Uh, they're very close now. So hopefully you know you have a girl and that'll that'll crush you, that will absolutely rush you. So that do you know what you're having?
Speaker 10: I know?
Speaker 7: Yes, Okay, you tell me, world doesn't no?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, good try though. I mean that's that's good radio. You know, it's good hosting, it's content. But if it's a girl, I have three, so that's where I can help you with that. But if you want to, you know.
Speaker 7: I mean, you're you're trying to leave me down the road here, and I'm not going okay, all right, just not all right, although.
Speaker 3: I did see uh, I'm sure Pauli has plenty of tips for me for girls. He sent me he was trying to give Fritzy a bit of stick for how many times he texted me to get me on the show last time and paul got me on the.
Speaker 7: Show this time.
Speaker 3: But I said, if you're gonna give me stick, then you can't, Or if you're gonna get Fritzie stick, then you can't send me highlights of your daughter's high.
Speaker 7: School basketball team in the text messages.
Speaker 6: Oh I no, apologies. My daughter said to me, can Uncle JJ take a look at my shot? I said, of course he can. I love you on fire.
Speaker 3: I mean she is a very good basketball player, so the highlights well deserved.
Speaker 7: But I would never have.
Speaker 3: Said anything if you didn't come at Fritzy first. So I protect my friend Todd.
Speaker 2: I'm glad Paulie's sending you the videos in no longer us, so there's a benefit for all of this moving around. Your lasting memory of the combine was what.
Speaker 3: The relief when it was done, and warm ups in the hotel ballrooms. I think those are the two things that I remember the most. And then the train station obviously is its own. You guys know, I don't know how much the outside world really knows about the train station and everything that goes on the train station, all the interviews, the meeting of coaches and hallways, and it's basically just four days of It's literally the biggest job interview of your life. So you're walking around twenty four to seven just trying to make sure that you know everything is going according to plan because this can change millions of dollars. It can change your entire future.
Speaker 2: But are you It is your analogy. The train station like the car wash where.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's a literal train station. It's a Oh, there's an actual train station in Indianapolis. It's like a decommissioned train station. So you are inside the actual train the train station with train cars, like you're doing interviews inside the train cars.
Speaker 7: It's not like the UESD car wash. No, it's a real train.
Speaker 2: Oh. I wonder why they don't show this or give us.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought you got I thought, No, it's a pretty cool place and I think that's why Indianapolis is so well versed, besides being so walkable. But they have this huge, old, decommissioned train station and it's turned into like a hotel, so all the hotel rooms around the edges, and then in the middle all the trains are like offices.
Speaker 7: So you walk into one train and there's meetings with the NFL teams and then you walk out.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, but actually a good You brought me to a good point here. My lasting impression is my eventual defensive line coach, Bill Kohlar for the Houston Texans. After my meeting with the Texans, I walked out of the room. He followed me out of the room and he looks at me and he goes, I just gotta.
Speaker 7: Ask you real quick. You think you play hard? Good coach?
Speaker 3: I play hard every single snap, like I gave everything I have, so you think you can really though you think you play hard, it's a coach. I give it everything I have every single snap. He goes, You're a lion son of a bitch. You don't play hard at all. And I'm like, well, not going to Houston check him off. And then sure enough, what's he trying?
Speaker 2: To give me the look.
Speaker 3: That's who he is. My whole first year, I thought maybe he did. I thought this man hated me. I know I hated him. I couldn't stand him for my life. I was I considered quitting football. I was like, I don't like this. This is not fun. Is this what I actually wanted? Am I even good enough? Am I going to get cut? And now I went to his Hall of Fame ceremony for his college Football Hall of Fame induction. We're best friends. We golfed together, and I love the man and I'm so thankful for him. But he was a tough, old school hard nose. He bought a bear. He literally wrestled a bear when he played for the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: JJ Watt NFL Today on CBS Studio Analyst, The tush push is going to get a lot of conversation and feels like it's going to be kind of in the rotation here with a lot of shows for the next couple of weeks. Packers came forward and they said that they would like to get this Outlawned. How do you view the Packers in this situation coming forward to say to the NFL we want this outlawed.
Speaker 7: Oh, I mean, I don't mind.
Speaker 3: Like people put up rules every year, so I don't mind when teams put up rules if if that's what they want to do, if that's something they feel like, you know, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 7: It's not going to work. I mean, I don't They're not going to outlaw that play. It's very difficult to do.
Speaker 3: I also think, like everybody knows, if every team was great at it, it would be a problem, like if it was just a guarantee third and one, fourth and one. But only the Eagles have truly truly mastered it. And we watched that Bill's Chiefs game, and we saw the Chiefs knew that the Bill's had a tendency to run the quarterback seat to the left. They lined up and protected it and it worked and it literally got them to the super Bowl because of it.
Speaker 7: So until every.
Speaker 3: One of the thirty two teams is successful at it, you can't outlaud it. Just you can't punish the entire league because the Eagles are good at it. The Eagles are just really really good at it.
Speaker 2: How do you defend it? As a former defensive lineman.
Speaker 3: I honestly know the way that the Eagles do it, and how good they are at it. Honestly, think that if you do, if you defended it one hundred times, you might get lucky if you if you even if you had the perfect defense, But you have to have a couple guys going extremely low immediately on the snap, which does come down to almost timing it because they know the count you don't.
Speaker 7: That's where the big advantage is.
Speaker 3: And then you have to have a couple of guys going over the top and once again hitting it at the perfect time. So you have to try and stop those old lineman's momentum, and then you also have to try and stop Jalen's momentum with the push. But that's the crazy thing to me about the push push Dan, is that not every single team practices it and perfects it the way that the Eagles have. Yes, Jalen is extremely strong and he's going to be he's more powerful than most quarterbacks. Yes, they have a couple of great pushers behind him. Yes their line has perfected it. But you can't tell me that if a team practiced it every single week and truly perfected it and got the push down and got the line of the time it up perfectly and everybody to do it together.
Speaker 2: What's going on in your house?
Speaker 7: Some swollow? It's a great time to have a little construction going on. Living Listen, it was I'm good on your end?
Speaker 2: Was it planned like it is that your wife?
Speaker 7: Whether I'm not supposed to be happening right?
Speaker 3: I can't see the back entrance, so clearly, what the hell do.
Speaker 2: You want to do? You want to look outside? Right now?
Speaker 7: Should I? Should I go shut this down?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Give me, I'm gonna tell him.
Speaker 3: Give me ten minutes here, okay, you can stay on the audio and here, okay, all right, all.
Speaker 7: Right, it's just fun.
Speaker 2: Maybe you're maybe you're building the baby room, the new baby room.
Speaker 7: Could you take like a ten minute breakfast? Sorry, thank you, just ten minutes. I'll come, I'll come in, thank you. Yes, yes, all right, we got it, bought ourselves.
Speaker 2: Ten minutes there, okay, great, all right, I'd like it. You don't even know what's going on at your house now?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 7: Well now I do, okay, I thank you? Yeah, thank you, great, great man, great man.
Speaker 2: The regular play compared to the tush push? How much more dangerous is that tush push?
Speaker 7: And you're talking all plays versus the tush push.
Speaker 2: In terms of danger, well, let's say just a typical bunny seen injured by the tush push. Chris Jones in the Super Bowl. Look like he got his neck banged up a little bit there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I mean I would say that, I would say that it's not it's It's really hard to say because obviously, being on a D line, I.
Speaker 7: Know how difficulty it is, especially when you're cranking a neck down there.
Speaker 3: But I would say that a high speed collision from further away is much more dangerous than you know, two inches away, damming yourself in there.
Speaker 2: The NFL is the NFL is looking for injury data, I'm guessing JJ because once they have that, they're all about, you know, safety protection, you know, the jumping over the line. I mean, this is the loup poll.
Speaker 7: Here are they are they?
Speaker 2: Do you think the NFL won't block blocks?
Speaker 7: Are a cup blocks still in the game?
Speaker 2: I agree with you, one hundred percent. I agree, But this this play is predictable and it's boring, and you know, it's like the extra point they had to move it back to make it interesting. I wonder this is my tweaking take away. The lineman behind Jalen Hurts, then it's a quarterback sneak and nobody can complain about this. The Eagles will still be successful, maybe not as much, but just take the guy out from behind Jalen Hurts. That's it.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with you at all. If they are going to change it, that's the way to change it. I also don't disagree with you that they're going to be just as successful. I don't think the pusher actually does a ton for them, because it's how good their offensive line is at it. They are so tight, they are so low, they all fire off at the exact same time on the snapcount, and Jalen is so strong that he just is beyond Most of the time, he is successful without the pusher even being an issue.
Speaker 2: Have you talked to the commissioner or anybody about why do they allow these linemen to cut you?
Speaker 7: Last year?
Speaker 3: We have the commissioner to come into CBS every year before the season starts, and we can you know, we talked to him asking questions last year. I was asking him more broad questions about football in general, the violence, about the flag, football aspect, and which way it's going. I haven't asked about that specifically, but it is one that I've brought up in NFLPA conversations. It's one that I bring up anytime anyone wants to talk to me about health and safety or protection. Obviously, being anti lineman, I know how much they protect the quarterback. Can't hit him low, can't hit him high, can't hit him here, can't hit him there. Yet as a defensive lineman, I can fire off the ball and they can purposefully split the blockers so that I come off free, and they can have a guy come from the side and literally his coaching point is to put his helmet on my knee. So don't tell me that it's all about health and safety when that's a perfectly legal block. And I'm not saying that it should be a flag because at the current moment it's not.
Speaker 7: So it's legal. I have to protect it, but there's no.
Speaker 3: Place for it in the game, and it it is literally the goal of it is to wipe out a guy's knee.
Speaker 2: I feel bad for you. Like the backdromp you got there is pretty pedestrian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know. I mean, my wife's the real star of the show. So that's why the fastest goal in the US women's soccer history.
Speaker 7: I don't have that. Yeah, definitely quicker. She's much more agile.
Speaker 2: You don't even have your jersey framed.
Speaker 7: This.
Speaker 3: This is a book. This is a book from the Houston Texans, A really cool book. When I retired, they gave me a book of all my career.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, you got to dress that up a little bit here.
Speaker 3: I mean, what do you want? I got the Arnold book over here, big, big, heavy book. I don't It's a great book.
Speaker 7: I got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, what's your yours? You're just I don't have the cool memorabilia that you have where I can just shower it all over my entire room.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know, just I mean, it's incredible, it really is. Yeah, And how often you switching stuff out every day? Every day and it's only you. Nobody else touches it.
Speaker 2: They're not allowed to. Would you send me a Burnley patch and I'll put a question. I'll put it up here on the front. Okay, now, explain this soccer bet that's going on here.
Speaker 7: Yeah. It was started as a literal joke.
Speaker 3: So like obviously we talk to the guys on our team all the time and uh, James Trafford our keeper us literally he'll be the England number one keeper someday' he's that good.
Speaker 7: And he messaged me one day.
Speaker 3: It was we were talking about the Steelers Bengals because obviously my brother plays on the Steelers, and he was messing with me and he said, hey, do you fancy coming out of retirement and playing the Bengals? And so, being a smart ass, I said, yeah, you don't give up another goal the rest of the season, I'll come out of retirement play for the Bengals. There were twenty eight games left at the time. I was like, this is this is just a joke. Next game he didn't give up a goal. So I messaged him again and I said, hey, you're going to take this serious, huh?
Speaker 7: And he was like, I really want you to play for the Bengals.
Speaker 3: So two games later, two more games with no goals, I messaged him back. I said, all right, it's getting a little ridiculous. Now do you think you can make it the whole way? And he goes, how do you eat a whale one bite at a time? So he just and now here we sit and we're thirteen games later, and he is not giving up a goal in thirteen games.
Speaker 7: He is one.
Speaker 3: He's beaten every record along the way. There's only one record left that he hasn't broken in the history of English football, which is old as hell. He is setting records, so it's getting pretty serious. We've created a lot of claric fans in Cincinnati, Ohio, which is really cool. We're getting a lot bigger ratings and numbers from the Ohio region, so it's been really fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you have a game plan. Let's say he doesn't give up a goal.
Speaker 7: I'll do it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm if he does that, which is insane. I mean, there's twelve thirteen games left. If he does it, it's insane enough and respectable enough that I will absolutely follow through and I'll go out there. Who knows they even want me. I don't even know. I haven't talked to him, but I'm in shape. I go play.
Speaker 2: But are you contractually You're not obligated to the Texans? There anybody?
Speaker 7: No? No, I don't even know how.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think that far ahead.
Speaker 7: How do you unretired? Is there? I never filed retirement PaperWorks? Does that mean I have to if I have to file paperwork to get.
Speaker 2: Back in, I don't. I don't know if they actually make you file retirement papers.
Speaker 7: I didn't, So no you don't. Yeah, damn, Yeah, what would you do? I mean, I mean, I'm technically I would assume I'm a free agent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to work on the Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, we're getting closer. It's it couldn't.
Speaker 3: He said they have two penalties in one game, which was insane. Our other defender, CJ. Egan Riley, he's a massive Bengals fan. So I'm I'm going to reach out to the Bengals here and I gotta.
Speaker 7: At least get these guys some gear. You know.
Speaker 3: I'll reach out to Burrow and see if you'll sign the jersey form because they're actual big fans, which I don't understand that.
Speaker 2: How did that happen?
Speaker 7: I don't know. I'm gonna ask him.
Speaker 3: I'm going over there a couple of weeks and I said, we're gonna we're gonna sit down and we're gonna talk through all this. How did how did the Bengals become the team? But our defense rests un Uh? Well, good luck with that. More importantly, good luck with the baby. And uh, it was great to talk to you. Thank you, buddy, Thank you. I'll let him know they can get work over here.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that's JJ Watt NFL Today on CBS Studio analyst and former Texans, Cardinals defensive end and maybe Cincinnati Bengal defensive end. Take a break. We'll come back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Well, JJ Watt, that's interesting that come out of retirement. I don't think he's done a lot of homework on this because I don't know if he's contractually obligated to anybody, the Cardinals, the Texans. You know. Then we talk about, you know, filing your retirement papers, but I've talked to players who have retired. They didn't fill out any paperwork. I don't think that's a real thing where you got to submit your retirement papers here. But maybe JJ coming out of retirement would be it'd be interesting. I don't know if his wife would be thrilled with that after having the second baby there coming up this summer.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, all right, I want to get into this for a second because you asked him a follow up, like, I know, it's a funny thing. If he loses the bet to the Burnley goalkeeper, he'll play for the Bengals haha. Social media fun bet mock headlines. He seemed to be lightly serious about it as paying off the bet. Towards the end of the conversation, how serious was he that he would honor this bet.
Speaker 4: I don't know, that's a big life decision to get back to the NFL.
Speaker 2: I think it might be a one day you show up and then you know, you retire.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: See, yeah, Like I think he would go through it because it's good like content and fun publicity kind of thing.
Speaker 4: But I don't know. I mean, would he make the team. I don't know if he would.
Speaker 2: He's thirty five, a lot of injuries. Yeah, I don't think his wife would be like yeah, I mean it's great publicity for his soccer club, great publicity. But that might be one of those he shows up and does kind of his ceremonial workout with the Bengals. But hey, it's all about content. Dave in South Dakota, Good morning, Dave. What's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 13: Dan Danettes you have a great show, by the way, five ten, two ten, And I wanted to talk about Toush push as an Eagles fan and now understand his bitterness. It was fifty eight years between championships, so it hurts a little. But before the Super Bowl, Kansas City fans, you know, everybody's talking about the refs and Kansas City getting the calls, and I said, look, beat them by ten. If you beat them by ten, you don't got to worry about the refs. And I feel the same way about the Tush push. If the Eagles get stopped at third and three or fourth and three, you don't got to worry about the Toush push. The Eagles are masterful at getting the first nine yards and then they get the last yard. That's how they win championships.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys, Thank you, Dave appreciate the compliment there. I don't see them getting rid of it. Maybe tweak it. Buffalo Bills use it as well. They're not as successful. In fact, the most important push push in their history, they failed to get the one yard that they needed. Sean and Florida. I Sean, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Good morning? Dan danet six five one eight five. I mean, uh lost check of how old tall I was. Apparently, I just wanted to say, hid in about the toush push. I totally agree with you that that lineman behind him is kind of ridiculous. And uh, it seems that's probably that's my my five yearls who wanted to stay Hiyuh. She loves you guys just as much you're watching you or listening to you in the background since she was born.
Speaker 7: So uh.
Speaker 9: But yeah, it's like a rugby play and we won dash rugby. There's a reason that's not super popular sport, I would imagine, but it just doesn't feel like a football play when you got the whole scrum and everything going in like that.
Speaker 2: And I agree with you. I agree with you, Sean, thanks for the phone call, But I just don't think you can penalize one team for doing something so well. They're not breaking the rules, they're not getting away with anything illegal. You've allowed them to do this now unless you modify the rule, then they should be able to continue to do what they're doing. If you have injury data that can trump everything.
Speaker 5: Yes, when JJ Watt said, you asked him how would you defend it, and he said, you can't. There's not anything you could do one hundred times. You might stop them a couple of times, maybe if you get lucky. That was the first time that I thought to myself, mmm, maybe you should get rid of it. That was maybe the first time that I was like, hmm, maybe.
Speaker 4: Maybe we shouldn't do that anymore.
Speaker 8: Then.
Speaker 2: How successful was Tom Brady with the quarterback sneak in his career? Nobody said it's not fair. Tom is unbelievable with the quarterback sneak, and he was. He scored a lot of touchdowns. I'd love to know the success rate of Brady with the quarterback snake. And it was the Patriots and they were winning. I don't know if anybody said whatever they were doing that they wanted to outlaw that.
Speaker 13: Yes, Mark, I think the difference was Kevin fulk wasn't behind him pushing him into, you know, to a first down win the en zige.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, Paul, all right, I don't know if this is a rule or not. And I'm only being partially facetious. Could an NBA player lift up another NBA player to junk the basketball. Let's say the player is going and you assisted him as he jumped. I know it wouldn't happen, but would that be akin to what's going on with the tush push.
Speaker 7: Hard even picture happening. I don't think so, right.
Speaker 2: Like, can I lift you up to block a shot? Would that be legal? I don't think so.
Speaker 7: We're gonna check.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get some of our best people on that. More phone calls coming up next hour. By the way, the uh Charlotte Hornets did something that hasn't been done since nineteen sixty six. It's on a good thing. We'll tell you what that was. Update the poll results. Two hours in the books. One more to go on the program. Operator Tyler sitting by eight seven to seven to three. DP show email address dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show go to danpatrick dot com. A lot of new gift ideas there. We'll tell you about those coming up next hour Dan Patrick's Show