Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shots, streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the.
Speaker 3: Official Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Out now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Walls, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 4: And it is time for a very special edition Mick Shots. Here inside the SWBC podcast studio high noon on a Wednesday. Mickey, we've got football players on a football field outside.
Speaker 3: On a beautiful day for football year.
Speaker 2: Football coach.
Speaker 5: Yes, you got a football player in the studio, Everson Walls. Hey, we've got Savannah going through all of your text messages because you're irate that this team has lost two games in a row. But most importantly, we got a football coach in the studio, Dave Tampa.
Speaker 2: Whether it's still coach Campo.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, But you know what, its special already because that's the legend that ran me all the time. Of course they kind of ran him on it.
Speaker 6: He keeps telling us you ran him out of time.
Speaker 7: Now, Campo was my dude, No, no, no, no, my dude. He was just trying to stay out of the way. Of all the shots, that's all.
Speaker 2: He was in the middle of it all. That's all good stuff. Well, he proved everybody wrong.
Speaker 3: I can tell you that he did what he had to do.
Speaker 6: He got a ring before everybody else did. Well. Dave Campo is in town.
Speaker 4: In fact, he just flew in from his home in Jacksonville because it is a big week from the nineteen nineties era after nineteen eighty nine ever, So yes, that's right, because of course Jimmy, Jimmy Johnson going into the Ring of Honor on Saturday night, and Coach camp Go is certainly not going to miss that, right Dave.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 3: And you know the interesting thing is, you know Jimmy probably as well as I do.
Speaker 2: You it was around.
Speaker 3: Long enough, but he doesn't like the fanfare. So he basically said everybody, hey, you know, we all went to the Hall of Fame induction. But he said, hey, you know, I mean, you know, I'm here because of gratitude, you know, and respect, but gratitude for what he did for me and my family, my career. You know, you don't know where it would have been had I not ended up at Miami and coming into here to Dallas. So you know, it's I was going to be here, and I'm going to tell him exactly that when I see him.
Speaker 4: How long were you there with him at the U at Miami?
Speaker 3: Only two years? And that was a big deal because I wasn't quite sure. I knew he was going to get a pro job, but you know, everybody else he brought with him had been with him for four or five years, so I was a little nervous, you know, two years. He's big on loyalty, the guy. Yeah, and and loyalty is really big. And I think the thing that really saved me, to be honest with you, was Dave wants it, because you know, the only thing Jimmy was concerned about going to the next level was the NFL passing game. And you know, so Dave said basically to Jimmy, hey, look this this guy is smart. He'll he'll learn it. He's loyal and and that's how I got.
Speaker 4: Here, really, and the Butch Davis time, and they were they were with Jimmy going back to Oklahoma State.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and Tony Wise, you know, I mean those guys were with him for a long time.
Speaker 2: And so I was very fortunate.
Speaker 1: You came from where to get to Miami.
Speaker 3: From Syracuse Syracuse and you know, Jimmy was a statman and we were fifth and seventh and third and past defensive Syracuse. Now, the one thing about it was nobody threw them. So yeah, we had the movies exactly, and that Daryl was the first guy. You know, he sent us out scouting right away when we got here. And Daryl was the first guy I went to see at Syracuse because of my association there.
Speaker 1: But I was Weissac still at Syracuse when you were there.
Speaker 3: Wysick was and you know, I think that one of the reasons he ended up with us is because of Tony. You know, Tony was at UH Syracuse as well, so you know that was you know, he was big on people knowing people. I'll tell you a quick story. When I went down for my interview at Miami, I already had another job and they weren't going to do anything until after the Fiesta Bowl. So once did I visit, I was with him at Pitt. Tony wise lived in my house at Washington State. It was two other jobs. He was a GA at the time. Uh uh excuse me, uh. Dalrymple was a student assistant at Pitt. Uh Kevin O'Neill, i'd been with with Oregon State and Pittsburgh. Jankovic the ad was the president, the student club president at Washington State was there, so I figured I'd have a good shot at this thing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, I find out later And this is what I tell young coaches all the time. You know, how you treat people is going to be your legacy when it's all done. He went downstairs and Al Bellamy, who is still in the league a trainer. He's still in the league. I think he's with the Washington Uh commanders. He said, hey, House Campbell with the black kids. If he'd have said, you know, he's this or that, I would not have gotten since he said, hey, hey the guy they you know. Except so that was first question and the rest is history.
Speaker 1: Right Yeah, So when you got here, uh, Jimmy Dick Nolan right correct, That's why.
Speaker 3: That's why he wasn't you know, he wanted. But the interesting thing is Everson knows this, and we weren't worth a darn. We put our scheme. We watched and I actually and I actually put it in. You know, Dick was a man, a man, you know, kind of a you know, I mean it was a pro attack as opposed to we were simple, you know, get past rush and you know that Syracuse, Yeah exactly. So uh yeah, and that's why he kept him because he was he was not sure you know about that, and he was right. I mean, they taught us a lesson in the first year, you know game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, we were hailing preseason. Yeah, yeah, we were balling.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 7: I think we were like three and one was going to touchdown against the Charges.
Speaker 2: I think I like seventy they left.
Speaker 3: They left at you know, Dan Reeves was the head coach at at Denver. We played Denver in the fourth game and they left an all starters, the fame quarterback in there and they beat us on overtime. That was the third low, the first loss.
Speaker 2: And we thought, man, I got into seventy sion remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we thought this was easy.
Speaker 7: I scored against I forget who I scored against that. Man, we were like, oh my god, such a great family. Well my god, we're gonna be you know, we thought we're gonna come and kick some asses.
Speaker 2: Wasn't New Orleans.
Speaker 4: That was after the last preseason game. Jimmy and Jerry went off the off the field arm and.
Speaker 2: Bring it.
Speaker 6: Listen the best.
Speaker 2: We got some butt kicked down there.
Speaker 3: I think a BA was something like twenty eight for thirty two or something.
Speaker 2: Did we score? Did we score? That's what I thought it was. It was ugly game.
Speaker 1: Two hundred yards, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's true. Hell did we get one hundred that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Everson did get something from us though? Was that because when he went to the Giants they were too covered two teams?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's true. He just played it differently. Yeah, And I was trying to tell Jimmy, we gotta pay this differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah we can. We can't play still in prem Yeah. Yeah, that's what that was.
Speaker 7: The Cardinals game and all of that, and our coach, we can't play this like this. And then we went to the Giants. They played it exactly like you know, perfect you know, you guys it was different. Yeah, you guys just weren't on that that level yet. As far as that little nuance, just that little nuance, right, just how do you want the concert play? That's the only nuance it was. Otherwise we needed more players, of absolutely, But the scheme itself, it got obviously, it got better.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, one of the problems One of the problems, obviously, was once we got the front seven, that's when we that's right, I mean.
Speaker 2: You know we're dbs, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know when you got the pass rush, that's the key.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We played Cover two without a pass rush, and you really they hit us on so many seam routes and that I could see no one. De vince a Breton was never there for me. Right, he got his own kinds of.
Speaker 4: One hundred and seventy four total yards on offense in a twenty eight nothing loss.
Speaker 2: First down. They do this day, they do this, Okay, they break Yeah, they broke us over. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Bill always gonna find the proof in the pudding. And it's not just gonna pass by, No, he's gonna dwell.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: Mike Saxon had a better passing day than Troy.
Speaker 2: He was one for one for four yards.
Speaker 1: A vision of the TV screen. Look what that is. Broncos are benching Russell Wilson for the final two games.
Speaker 4: Goodness, Wow, he doesn't because he's got a contract option coming up in March and they wanted to don't want to risk an injury before they have to make half the off season.
Speaker 1: Or before they shut him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Jarrett Stidham will get the start for the Broncos. And this is evidence of a distractable player right here. Coach, you can't put a TV monitor because he'll he'll start.
Speaker 1: All he had to do is watch the interaction between Russell Wilson and the last game there.
Speaker 2: Something was up.
Speaker 1: Well, I told you the story. I was in Denver skiing when I mean in Colorado skiing when they signed him.
Speaker 2: But what was two years ago?
Speaker 1: Every news station led that night with the last piece of the puzzle is here for the Broncos that we're going to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Oops.
Speaker 1: I needed to get that.
Speaker 2: Story back to the important stuff. What's that camp? Yeah? What else you do? Rao? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Golf? Every day?
Speaker 3: It so no, I'll tell you what. I don't play that much golf, I really, Uh, every day I have something I have. I'm on a post game show. You're covering the Jacksonville jacket backwash.
Speaker 6: That's a scene that's struggling right now.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: I almost didn't get this gig here with you guys. I was in the press box when you guys when the Cowboys played us last year, and I was doing a little cheering for the Dagark.
Speaker 6: I'm working with it, you know what I mean, that's right, that's where you're that's where you got here.
Speaker 3: Your money's being paid.
Speaker 2: Listen, I'm not getting whatever since.
Speaker 1: Well, I remember that when I saw him, he was telling me how good this Jaguar team was and that the quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: The real deal, and he is the real deal when he doesn't have a shoulder that's fallen off.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what. They're really struggling. And you know that obviously the Cowboys going through it a little bit with the last two ball games. But you know they've got the Cowboys have a more talented roster. I mean, there's no question about it in my mind, you know. And that game was an aberration. When we when Jags won last year, I was on a podcast, a guy by the name of Mike Tagg who does a Cowboy podcast out of Tampa. He's a huge Cowboy fan, and the first thing I said was.
Speaker 2: Well, when we talk about I just did it.
Speaker 3: Listen, I'm a Cowboy fan, you know that. But really they're struggling. The quarterback. Once he got hurt, he hasn't been the same, and you know that's something that, you know, but some guys can.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. He came back from U I guess that was a knee in Yeah, yeah, that was.
Speaker 3: Had a knee, an ankle right there, knee, an ankle, a shoulder. I mean, he's been banged up. But uh, you know, we're not very good inside in the offensive line, so that's a problem. And I think what I saw the Cowboy game the other night is is a little bit of problem going with the offensive line here.
Speaker 4: Well, you gotta get get tired and healthy. And by the way, that brings us to some news of the day. Nate Frisco just walked by the studio.
Speaker 6: Some news of the day.
Speaker 4: Cowboys making a roster move today.
Speaker 1: Funny mentioned something about that yesterday linebacker situation.
Speaker 9: Yes, and we were looking at Rashaun Evans, who has just been waived. Okay, well, let's go has been activated from injured reserved to fill the offensive.
Speaker 10: Need that we might have.
Speaker 4: And Jerry is was on the radio show yesterday optimistic. Of course, he's always optimistic, but he's optimistic. Doctor Jerry's optimistic that Tyrone will be able to play.
Speaker 1: Did you hear what he said? It went right over everybody's head, he said. He said, after his after we give him that injection, he's usually better. So they gave him a shot, right, and and somebody thought it was.
Speaker 6: Still a stinger. It's not a stinger.
Speaker 1: He's got a disc problem. Uh so uh and he said, usually when he gets the injection, he's much better. I saw him walking in the locker room. He walked perfectly right, No limp, there you go. So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: I know I should be speaking out ont the injury.
Speaker 3: Listen if you want to hear Jimmy was hearing these. Listen, if you want to hear anything about the Cowboys, Jerry will tell you which job which I love about him?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, that's it.
Speaker 3: He's that's him.
Speaker 1: So I looked up Evans. He it since he got here, seventy nine seventy one snaps, so seven point five percent of the snaps.
Speaker 4: And you got that broken down to how much money he's paid.
Speaker 1: I did not Yeah, nine tap, did you bill?
Speaker 2: It's not much.
Speaker 3: It's he's in a veteran minimum deal.
Speaker 1: Last four games, he's only had fourteen snaps and eleven in one of those, so they weren't using them.
Speaker 4: To the point that they had six dv's on the field virtually the entire game against Miami, and maybe that was a strategic.
Speaker 3: There's a reason for that.
Speaker 1: And yeah, so they didn't trust him, Yeah, obviously. Uh and then well let's go I've been wondering when but do you take the chance of saying, well, we got this veteran guy over here playing great, and we got this guy as young and he hasn't played at all, you know.
Speaker 4: And he's got a shoulder issue that it seems like every time he plays that something happens with that.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what they do. But if you go back, you inspired me last night to go back and watch more of the game. And you know, part of his Chuma's problem was, well, he's a little slow off the ball.
Speaker 2: He gets beat.
Speaker 1: The other problem was he was just making decision mistakes, Like he kept he kept double teaming with Tyler Smith at guard when the guy was blitzing off the outside coming clean. And it's like, at some point, don't you have to recognize that? And so that was almost the decisions he was making. We're almost as bad as you know. Getting beat physically is one thing, but gosh, you got to recognize I think, I think, and even with that, we only gave up you know what, twenty one points twenty two miracle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's a high powered offense considering.
Speaker 1: But the problem was, though, is that they only scored twenty and the quarterback sacked four times and got hit twelve times and got out of a couple that I don't know how he got out of. Even that last I think it was the last drive. It was fun away and dumped it to the tight end he was going down.
Speaker 3: No disrespect to us dB guys, but if you're not operating up front, you're in trouble. We got Charles Haley here back in the day. That was that's why we won Super Bowls. I mean, you know, we played better and all those kinds of things. But in reality, the front.
Speaker 2: The front, another dB had something to do with that as well. That's too. Yeah, that guy named Smith, Yeah that was the last. Yeah, the last.
Speaker 3: Darren Woodson probably had a pretty good hand and its out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's he always had a hand in there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So but really the front, that's the same thing that's happening with the Jaguars. I mean, you know, they're getting pressure all the time. And Todd Bowles, who's an aggressive coach in his own right. And Todd worked for me in Cleveland. You know, he was a corner coach. He's an aggressive guy. And he did what you have to do with the Jaguars, and this is what you have to be careful of with the Cowboys. He went in and said, Okay, we can cover them now with Lamb, that's a tough decision. Okay, but with our guys with Kirk Hurt, Ridley's not quite where he needs to be with the Jags and uh, you know. And then he said we can cover him and they're having trouble protected so they just let it eat.
Speaker 4: So it was Todd Bowles with with you with Cleveland when you were in Cleveland after their head coach of the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Yes, and or he came to Dallas with parcels correct. Yeah, he and I went to Dallas. We from Dallas to Cleveland. I was an assistant head coach coordinator with Davis with Butch and we kept Chuck Bagone and Todd. Those are the two guys off the defensive staff that we kept.
Speaker 2: We went in there.
Speaker 1: Well, camp, I have one hope for you today that Charles Haley's.
Speaker 9: Here probably walking around right now around here.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 3: He's a he's a trip.
Speaker 2: That I want to say this. I hope, I hope.
Speaker 3: Butch Davis and Wanstead are not listening on this at this time because both of those guys wanted to get him out of here. I said, wait a minute, hold on here, now, let's work with him. And Jimmy wasn't letting him go anywhere.
Speaker 4: Believe but as you work so well with the black players, and he's one of the best ones I ever worked with.
Speaker 1: All Right, just I'll let you know it before Bill goes to break. When he comes walking down the hall and everybody's walking towards him, everybody scattered.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: We continue with more mixed shots with Dave Kempo, our special guest. We're gonna talk Jimmy as the hour continues. Here.
Speaker 8: In just a moment, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: And they snapped the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped left. He'll run full a first down. Just like football.
Speaker 8: When it comes to Crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 6: Pres Scot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 11: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. FSI baby the yin to this burger's yang. Furgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp, refreshing, ice cooled koola a journey to footopia. Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game by subscribing to AARP Fraud Watch Network alerts and texts. At a ARP dot org slash Beat Scammers t X, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's a a r P dot org slash Beat Scammers t X. Demic shuts.
Speaker 9: KPOS Roofing and Waterproofing the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 6: All right, Savannah, I have a question for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're a younger generation. I don't know if you.
Speaker 4: Realize that or not, but the okay, for us who lived this whole experience with Coach Campo, we can go on and on talking about it. For the younger generation, what perspective do you have and do Cowboys fans from your generation have on Jimmy Johnson and the whole nineties Cowboys.
Speaker 10: Legends, legends.
Speaker 9: Just being able to be here with you today and hear all the stories from the nineties and everything that you guys did to build those Super Bowl teams.
Speaker 10: It's legendary.
Speaker 9: And that's what every Cowboys fan, whether you're young or old, that's what you grow up knowing and learning. And I think it's just exciting this weekend, especially for Jimmy and all the support around it and everything from the Jones family to everyone coming into town to be able to be here for this moment. So it's actually very exciting.
Speaker 4: It's for any it's a tribute to what Jimmy and Coach Campo and all of them accomplished in their career that it stands the test of time decades later, where people who didn't even see those teams play know the stories of those teams.
Speaker 3: I think a Triplets were so legendary and and you know, I mean, we played good defense, but the Triplets were the with the draw and and uh, they played really well. And I think people still know them because they're in the media and and that's you know, and Daryl Johnson's in the media.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know the Monday, the three games that were played on Monday, the analyst on all three games. CBS had the Kansas City Raiders game at noon and it was Romo it was the analyst, and then the three o'clock game, DJ was the analyst, and then the night game it was Troy So.
Speaker 3: And I think you know that that in itself was uh, and to almost do it four times in a row, I mean really, in all honesty, if if Dion had an on board Michael in.
Speaker 2: That game and.
Speaker 3: They didn't call that, I don't know, that probably would have been number four. And uh, it's just we had great players. I mean, you don't you know, all we have to do is just make sure that the guys understand that, you know, there's certain things that are important to win in a ball game, and the players play, and you know, we we were fortunate enough to get great players and we had a good eye for players. Vincent Smith, great example, Vincent Smith played at Pittsburgh. Uh Ken Hurrock, who was the GM for their Braves at the Atlanta Yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: I was at a deal.
Speaker 3: We were at a scouting thing and it was right when the the UH first form of pre agency started the and we took we took, we took eighteen guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, we took eighteen guys.
Speaker 3: And I'm sitting there next to Uck because we're waiting for the workout to start. And he was down playing the because it was the last ten guys of each team on the rosss. Well, we had eighteen of them. So he said, well, let me tell you something. I had Vincent Smith and in UH in Pittsburgh, he can't play. He'll never play. Yeah, he only played in one. I think he was in all three, at least, starting outside line.
Speaker 1: That's how you got Nocheck, Tocheck and they walked both off the same James Washington.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they were we got players.
Speaker 2: He was acquad on as well. Yes, yes, they had those were two huge tight ends. Novcheck was more athletic.
Speaker 1: Yes, like the way he blocked.
Speaker 2: They didn't.
Speaker 3: They didn't like the way nova Check yet of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well don't ask him to rights, right.
Speaker 3: Novacheck's a little bit like the kid that the Jags have Ingram. You know, he's he's adequate, but he's he's really wide receiving, right, that plays close to the Linus scrimmage.
Speaker 1: So how much attention have you paid to this team? Do you get to watch the games?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I have NFL Plus, I get I get that because I can watch the whole secondary. When you watch it on TV. And I'll be honest with you, when you're on when you were in the press box, you can't see all the little stuff going on. You have to really watch it again, like you were talking about.
Speaker 2: See it.
Speaker 3: So I've seen I didn't watch every Cowboy game, but I've seen quite a.
Speaker 2: Few of them.
Speaker 1: And your thoughts, Well, first of all.
Speaker 3: They've got guys that can take the top off the coverage and that that's huge, you know, it just puts all the pressure on the secondary. The deficiency that I see really is the ability to stop the run because there you don't want to get into a past situation with this team where you have to throw you're in trouble. I mean, they've got guys that can rush the passer. And I'm talking about what we had back in the day. We had eight guys that could play that in the defensive front. The Cowboys, I don't know they have eight guys, but they've got and they rotate them, and they can rush the passer. Even the inside guys can rush the pass them.
Speaker 2: You guys have some no names on the team. Yeah, man, Jimmy Jones. Jimmy Jones.
Speaker 3: Jimmy Jones was a great one. He could only play fifteen places a shot, but he had to recover.
Speaker 4: He had a.
Speaker 3: Into the end zone in the Super Bowl, that's right, and he got he got money.
Speaker 6: He went to Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: I think he got the Cree agency.
Speaker 3: So that was a Miami guy and he knew.
Speaker 1: He always have to land passing Lancaster.
Speaker 4: And then they had that other guy from Emporia States in their defensive line guy.
Speaker 2: And Eric Williams to that from a small little school out in Ohio something.
Speaker 3: He was but you know, Central State. Yeah, but really, I think that's the only weakness I see other than the offensive line was a little banged up, right, you know, And I think.
Speaker 4: You know that has to be well in the part of the and part of the problems on the run defense right now, And we were talking about it yesterday with the loss of Leyton vander Esh at linebacker and going back to training camp, they lost the third round pick to marve On overshown, who was not going to project it to start this year. But when you start having injuries in your linebacking corps, he was going to get a lot of playing time. And you know, once you get into the season, now there's not a whole lot. They pick up Rashaan Evans and he didn't pan out. He gets waved today. So to the point that they come off a game against Buffalo, they moved Marquise Bell, a safety to line fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, right, and.
Speaker 4: So then they get run on by Buffalo, but Buffalo gets a lead and so they're able.
Speaker 3: To just run it and run it and run it.
Speaker 4: And then they come up against the Dolphins this week and literally there was one linebacker on the field the entire game, if you consider a Bell to be a safety playing linebacker, and jay Ron Curse was in that linebacker position as a safety.
Speaker 1: And speaking of Demoun Clark, I saw that play on a bigger screen than what you. Yeah, text me, Oh my god.
Speaker 6: The holding.
Speaker 1: The guy grabbed him and tackled him from behind, and he gets up and he's jumping up and.
Speaker 2: Down and nothing.
Speaker 4: That was on the last drive of the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was holding. That's ten yards from where they were. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: It was an eight yard run that created second and two at the thirteen yard line. And if you get the call at the fifteen yard line, you get the call, then it's first and twenty at the thirty three and they're kicking.
Speaker 6: They're in fifty yard field.
Speaker 4: Goal range instead of twenty yard field.
Speaker 1: There was there was a pass play and and and Brandon Cooks is coming across the middle and the guy almost ripped his jersey off the tack tagging from behind.
Speaker 2: No call.
Speaker 1: There was a there was a chop block on Parsons high and low.
Speaker 2: No dangerous.
Speaker 1: It was because the guy pulled him and went down and then the other guy came over the top.
Speaker 2: No call.
Speaker 3: The NFL is taking some heat this year on the officials.
Speaker 1: How do you keep your composure on the side of you don't?
Speaker 2: I would get kicked.
Speaker 3: We're playing the Giants.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it was eighty nine. Phil Simms was a quarterback.
Speaker 3: We're playing the Giants and I'm halfway out to the hash mark. We weren't worth it, thought they were good. I'm halfway out to the hashmark, screaming, hollering. Jimmy grabs me and pulls me off, and he goes, I'll fire you if you go out there.
Speaker 2: The fifteen minutes later he and.
Speaker 6: It was it was a Giants game. I don't think it was eighty nine.
Speaker 4: It might have been nine years.
Speaker 2: That was the That was the one in the post.
Speaker 3: Wa you were there and now you're playing for the Giants.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that was the most game press I'm not talking. Jimmy said, that's the worst officiating since my daddy said, this is what you call the football.
Speaker 3: That was the Giants post. I'll never forget that because he was He and I were standing right next to each other at least eight or nine yards on the field, screaming at the officials at the end of.
Speaker 1: The well, you remember when Parcels he got he got pissed at. Oh he ended up being a defensive coordinator. That he was the son of a coach. I forgot his name when he was here. Yeah, he was pender got Wide, the passing game coordinator. Then he ended up at burg as the OC. Anyway, Parcels had lectured him all quit yelling at the officials, right and there was a call that they didn't get. And this guy, this guy he got all over the official and Bill gets in the middle of it. He punches him to get him off.
Speaker 2: I heard that.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Bill tells the story.
Speaker 4: The next day there was a Seattle game.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The next day we're doing the press conference and he said, yeah, my daughter called me and said we need to get back.
Speaker 2: You can't do that.
Speaker 4: All right, We got more time left here with coach Campo. And by the way, uh Nate and Frisco has texted in. You asked about coach Johnson. We will do that, Coach cam in just a moment on mixed shots.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 13: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks A kickoff Tailgates, going Waypass postgame Sunday Night overtimes, followed by Monday Mornings Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest Spool.
Speaker 2: Miller Lyte, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly, twenty twenty three, Millibrown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 12: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP FraudWatch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 11: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana, because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of fool PEPSI. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 6: That's what I like.
Speaker 12: To mix shots.
Speaker 9: Sean Polite is your twenty twenty three Cowboys Fan of the Year, and now he needs your help. Vote for Sean to be given the ultimate title of NFL Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan by casting your vote at NFL dot com slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 4: His name is what Sean Polite wonder if he's related to Lusaka? Oh you remember there's a Cowboys player named Ka Polite pullback. That's right, all right, we continue with Dave Campo here and let's talk Jimmy a little bit. Okay, what is it that's that stands out to you as far as working for Jimmy Jimmy as a head coach. What is it?
Speaker 3: Well, there were a few things, but the thing that he had that a lot of people don't is he knew people. He knew players, He knew he could get into their into their mindset, he could he knew when to treat people one way or another way. And he and he was a great talent evaluator and you know he in a lot of cases.
Speaker 2: Uh, I believe this. I heard this story.
Speaker 3: I heard it from Barry, So I don't know if he's true or not, but disclaver, but Barry came in and he said he went in to try to get in the computer and watch a game in Jimmy's office when he first got here, and the computer was disconnected. So his point was he didn't really watch football. He was a CEO, and he had his way of doing things. And really, to be honest with you, that was a big strength for him. And and the other thing is he really he's he's a loyalty guy. He wanted to know that the guys that were around him was his, were his kind of guys. And I think those things are true today, to be honest with.
Speaker 4: You, but he was.
Speaker 3: He was literally a genius literally, and you know all this analytics stuff that goes on today, he had it already, but he didn't have a computer. He wasn't looking at a computer. You know, he had it in his mind. He knew when the on side kick, he knew when the you know, uh, go for it on, go for and for down all the things that they're doing today off the analytics.
Speaker 4: He he had that if you can pinpoint what was his finest hour as the Cowboys head coach when he.
Speaker 3: Stood up and said, how about them?
Speaker 7: It wasn't I wasn't I was this adult cartoon it's called ARCHERD. They put that in there in there, they sure did. He was talking about Uh, he was like some military thing he was talking about. And the last thing, how about them Cowboys?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: A figure cartoon? Yeah, yeah, list and that's legendary everything. And then the other thing was the uh when he said, uh, well, he said a couple of things. He said, I'll fight uh buddy Ryan at the fifty yard line.
Speaker 2: But that was a fine hour.
Speaker 3: And I think the other final was when he went when we went to San Francisco and he said, you can put it in three inch letters. We're going to win, and nobody thought and of course, uh, the head coach said he's got.
Speaker 4: George you know what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that was that was actually the ninety three was ninety yeah.
Speaker 6: So ninety two was.
Speaker 4: When Cowboys went there in one thirty to twenty in rout of the first Super Bowl win and then San Francisco came here in ninety three.
Speaker 2: That was that one right there. That's your favorite one? Is that your favorite?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I wore it because Jimmy ninety five is my favorite because I was a coordinator at that time, and and you know.
Speaker 4: That was a remember your where you'll wear the ninety five one when Barry goes into I don't.
Speaker 2: Know if he's.
Speaker 13: The guy.
Speaker 3: Don't get me wrong, I love Barry.
Speaker 1: But you know what after that ninety five one. And I don't know if you remember it this way, but uh, it looked like you guys were just relieved that you and I remember looking in the coaches in the coaches locker room and you guys were kind of strewn out on the floor and they were still in like whatever underwire they had on, and it would look like they just had arrived like on a shipwreck, right, And it just looked like they were so relieved. There was no celebration.
Speaker 3: They were just laying the tough game.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: All of the guys that I do the show with in Jacksonville is Leon Cercy played for US at Miami. He was a Pro Bowl right tackle in the League played for Pittsburgh at that time, and he's one of the toughest individuals that I've ever been around. And that's what Pittsburgh was at that time. And that was a tough ball game for us. It was a It was a grinder, and Coward did a great job on that on sidekick. We were struggling defensively. They'd move the ball all the way down the field until Larry Brown intercepted that ball. We were in trouble. And so it was really a case of it was a tough win. And Zimmer was so fired up. I'm up at the press box and there's a minute something left, We've got the game won, and he's cussing me out about I want to come down and participate. He said, there's still a minute and a half.
Speaker 2: Butt. I mean, it was. It was more relief than anything else.
Speaker 4: I want to take I want to take you back to eighty nine.
Speaker 2: February of eighty nine.
Speaker 4: Okay, when word gets out that Jerry Jones is buying the Cowboys and Jimmy Johnson is going to go from Miami to the Dallas Cowboys as head coach.
Speaker 2: What do you remember from that time?
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing I remember was that Jimmy didn't want to go to that restaurant. Yeah, because he made that very clear. And Jerry didn't realize you know, the you know, being an oil and gas guy, you know, he didn't really understand how it worked, you know, with the media.
Speaker 2: And all that.
Speaker 4: So, so basically what happened Savannah is they went to Mexican food restaurant.
Speaker 3: What restaurant was it?
Speaker 6: Me MIAs and where.
Speaker 1: In Northwest?
Speaker 6: Time in Dallas, Yes, in Dallas.
Speaker 4: And Ivan Mazelle who went on to career at ESPN, he was working for the Dallas Morning News there. He spots Jimmy in there, and then he puts two and two together because the reports had come out in the previous couple of days that this Jerry Jones guy is going to buy the Cowboys whatever and so but anyway, Jimmy and Jerry are in the restaurant and so a picture gets posted basically or published, and I think it was on that Saturday morning. Right.
Speaker 1: Then called the photographer at the morning right, he said, you got to get here there weren't there were cell phones in Savannah, and so it.
Speaker 6: Wasn't like break out his phone.
Speaker 2: That's wow.
Speaker 6: Had quarter.
Speaker 4: It was se it was a week later they had developed the film right exactly, and then finally got the paper.
Speaker 6: Really, that's that's.
Speaker 3: When I got nervous because what I said earlier, you know, when that came out, I said, oh, you know, I may be out of a job, you know, and that I remember that very strongly. But I also remember we flew in on Jerry's plane and you know the hill coming off of uh, what's six.
Speaker 1: Six thirty five to MacArthur.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well at Valley Ranch. We get off, we're getting off of six thirty five and we looked down and we see the complex. There was nothing there but the complex. There were no houses, no anything, no restaurants, no buildings, nothing. And that that stuck out to me too, because I said, man, where are we here? We in the middle of nowhere?
Speaker 1: What. I can't remember what one of your assistants said, but he said when we were coming down that hill, I said to myself, Oh my god, what have.
Speaker 2: We got ourselves?
Speaker 4: Time? Okay, So then fast forward after the second Super Bowl win and then it's March of nineteen ninety four and the divorce happens, and so what was going through your mind?
Speaker 3: At that point, well, Jimmy had come in and he had told us that, you know, what had happened and that there was an issue. He said, I think we're all right, he said, but I'm going over. And we were just sitting in the staff meeting and he said, we're going. You know, I'll let you know what's going on. So we're just kind of sitting there, and he went over and he came walked in and he said, guys, it's over, but you guys are.
Speaker 4: All He went over to Jerry's office, which is a hallway, and mind you, there was media that was allowed inside Valley Ranch in the hallway where we were camped out for like two days. They're three days there between Jimmy's office and Jerry's office.
Speaker 3: And whenever there was movement, here.
Speaker 4: Are all the mini cams and everything up, and they're following Jimmy as he makes the walk to Jerry's office. I mean it, we made for great televisions. So then you're in a staff meeting, was waiting to see what the verdict is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before i'd finished that, Savannah, when I went on of here, there was nobody else.
Speaker 4: I don't feel bad when barcels left with his baseball bat. There was I think one photographer was at Channel eleven. I think it got the picture of him walking out as he happened to steak out there.
Speaker 3: That's why Jimmy's a legend, you know. I mean that's you said it right, I mean that group there. But anyway, so we're sitting there and Jimmy walked back in and he said, hey, guys, it's over. And he said, you guys are all right, I think and he said I think so. About an hour later, Jerry called us down to the staff the regular staff meeting room, and we're sitting there and he goes, guys, I want to introduce you to your new head coach, and then walked Berry and Barry walked in and Barry looked at us and he said, hey, let me tell you something. He said, I'm not changing anything. That's that's good.
Speaker 2: He said, I only ask you for one thing that's be loyal to me. That was it, and he walked out, and that was it. We went back to work business as usual.
Speaker 7: So my question is they talk about Jimmy and this five year thing. Yes, have you ever talked about that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But I agree he's he's once he's there for five years, he's ready to go. Yep. And the same with Dallas. That's what you said.
Speaker 3: He did Dallas, and he did Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 1: The same Alklahoma State and ol Glahoma State.
Speaker 2: You know. I mean I've never talked to.
Speaker 4: Him, know that.
Speaker 1: So the the job with Fox is probably.
Speaker 2: The longest, exactly, and he tried to get into this one. They won't let him.
Speaker 6: Yeah you can do it, Yeah you can do it.
Speaker 2: No, but I you know, I say that a lot. You know, Hey, Jimmy was a five year guy. That's it. You know. I thought it was really just the media, you know, speculation.
Speaker 3: I think there's something to it. To be honest, that's crazy, But I don't know that. I'm just saying that.
Speaker 1: It makes you feel better. Your predecessor walked out the door by himself. Also chan Gaily. The last person he saw was me and he wasn't happy.
Speaker 3: Okay, and now now to.
Speaker 4: Wrap this up, what do you what do you think it means to Jimmy. There's been so much speculation over the last decade that, Okay, when's Jimmy going into the Ring of Honor?
Speaker 3: What does it mean to him? I think it means an awful lot. I think is he put everything he had. You know, he got divorced from his wife as soon as he got here, and you know, I don't want him to listen to that, but I mean that's he was tunnel visioned on what was going to happen at the Dallas Cowboys, and he knew it was a big deal. And I can tell you this. We're up at the Hall of Fame and Jerry and Jimmy are talking. We're in a you know, we're in a cowboy party at the Hall of Fame. And Jerry said to him, he said, well, I know you you're going to go into the Ring of Honor. And Jimmy said, before I die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it means it means it means a lot to him. And and that's why I'm here.
Speaker 3: I'm here because of gratitude for what he did, but I'm also here for respect for what he deserves. And I did a little video I think is going on the board or whatever, and the last thing I said was the Ring's not the Ring without you. That's it the way I look at it now. I mean I was there, I lived it, but that's how I see it.
Speaker 2: Good stuff.
Speaker 3: That's great stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, well, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I probably talked too much. No, look God.
Speaker 6: And by the way, you can.
Speaker 4: Catch more of Dave Campo at eleven am on Saturday on CBS eleven on Cowboys Game Day. All right, and that does it for mixed shots. And how about we take a look at the Detroit Lions tomorrow. Well, I got all my Lions notes all right, into the line. All right, it's going to be Savannah's show tomorrow as well. All right, mix shots, Thanks a lot, coach.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys, enjoy your week here back home, and we'll shut at you again.
Speaker 2: To borrow a mixed shot, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.