Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to your Saturday podcast as Brooke and Jeffrey, And a quick reminder, tomorrow is Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: Yes, I thought it.
Speaker 3: Was last week, so I sent my mom strawberry super early.
Speaker 4: Which is better than sending them super late.
Speaker 2: Then I tell her and I apologize, and I was like, I don't even call you. I was so busy. I was like, not till next week. I'm not okay, I'll call you Sunday.
Speaker 4: So you dig get out it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I thought myself, nay it.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, if you're frantic for a gift, I'm just gonna tell you can go to our Merch for a Cause and buy a brand new second.
Speaker 4: Date update crew Neck. Yes, yes, and listen.
Speaker 1: I know it won't come tomorrow in time for Mother's Day, but all mothers are fine with a printed out piece of paper of why you got them, as long as it comes with a heartfelt note.
Speaker 4: Yeah thoughts cute.
Speaker 1: It says something like dysfunctional dating makes me think of you, mom.
Speaker 4: Here's your second Date Update Merch for a Cause.
Speaker 1: All right, go do that because the link is in the show notes, and one of the proceeds go to a great organization called Convoy of Hope, which is a great nonprofit.
Speaker 4: So get your merch for cause and let's get this show started.
Speaker 2: Second date, up date. If I've learned anything from reading countless dating blogs, they all say the absolute worst thing you can do is be open to trying new things.
Speaker 4: No, they don't. That's the opposite of what they all say.
Speaker 2: New experiences should scare you and you need to avoid them at all costs.
Speaker 5: Instead of reading.
Speaker 4: The anti therapy blogs again.
Speaker 2: You know, you need to stick to the places that you've already been and people you already know, and nothing bad can ever.
Speaker 1: Happen people, Okay, Jeff, is how you end up in like my hometown dating your gage?
Speaker 5: Okay, supports it.
Speaker 1: Is.
Speaker 2: One of our listeners didn't take that advice, thank god, and he's some sort of modern renaissance man decided to try something new and look where it landed him right here on our show, which I'm guessing is another new experience for him that he's never done before.
Speaker 4: So yikes, we're the low point.
Speaker 2: We are, Alvin, welcome to your new life.
Speaker 3: Low awesome, glad to be here. This is my first time ever doing that.
Speaker 4: Now, are you feeling shame or excitement.
Speaker 3: No, definitely excitement. I don't I'm not feeling shame.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, we're going to change that by the end of the segment. But you said that you tried something new for your dating life.
Speaker 5: What was that?
Speaker 3: Have you ever heard of a red envelope party?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 4: What's a red envelope party?
Speaker 3: Well, it's like a like a dating event that people put on. And there was at this fancy house and you went by yourself.
Speaker 4: You didn't bring a friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, this was a friend hooked me up with this, but I went by myself. Yeah. And then you scan like a QR code and you fill out a questionnaire that's like about your interests and your values.
Speaker 4: You know what kind of person you are find on a dating profile, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, just a brief little thing like that, and then once you do the questionnay. I went side the house and it was had the vibe of like a slanky private members club. It was a fancy furniture and well stocked bar, chandeliers the whole you know.
Speaker 2: A chandelier that is rich. No, no broke people.
Speaker 1: You get a house full of single people and you're only allowed to talk to one person.
Speaker 4: So they give you a motive.
Speaker 6: Is that the rule?
Speaker 3: No, No, you're you're supposed to mingle and drink and have a good time. That's what I was doing. About like an hour into it, maybe a little more, a waiter came around with a silver tray and on the tray were red envelopes and you find the one that had your name on it, and that has inside the person that you are supposed to meet once. But we'd already hung out from that.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing the whole point is so that you go around the room and actually try to find the other person.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, it's more about talking to other pian person. I mean my guess anyway, And.
Speaker 2: The fact that it's on a silver tray makes me believe whatever is on it is like and so, who was the person whose name was in your envelope?
Speaker 3: My envelope had the name Natalie in it.
Speaker 4: Okay, had you already met? Why are you laughing?
Speaker 2: I thought he said he had his own name in his envelope?
Speaker 4: Did you had you already met Natalie or do you have to go find her?
Speaker 3: I had actually met her, and she was like obviously on there to date. So I'm looking around, you know, looking at all the ladies and she was like top of my list.
Speaker 4: Oh you're like, yes, like he read envelope.
Speaker 5: That's nice.
Speaker 3: There was a yes, just bump.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, So you went and tracked her down. How did that go?
Speaker 3: It was great. We were having a really good time and she was laughing a lot and I was laughing.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good sign because she could have been disappointed when she saw your name.
Speaker 3: No, no, she seemed cool and she was kept encouraging us to go back to the bar. And so, yeah, we did drink a bit. I admit it. I definitely was feeling a buzz. Nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you're you know, you're doing it together and it's a party scene, like it seems appropriate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was appropriate amount and I was not alone, you know, it was everybody was having a good time and she was having a good time. You know, like I said, we were laughing a lot.
Speaker 5: These are all positive reviews.
Speaker 2: Is there anything in your mind that like was like a low moment of the night or something that could have gone wrong?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, there was.
Speaker 4: Oh he's laughing now.
Speaker 3: I mean it's not the worst, but like we had been sitting for a while and we stood up and we walked outside and it was pretty warm, and I definitely had like a head rush and I kind of fell into a bush.
Speaker 2: Oh and this was in front of Natalie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah, I was walking with her.
Speaker 4: You may have but she may have looked a little sloppy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, yeah, I looked sloppy. I didn't like fall over, Like I was just so hammered that I was just like passing out. But you know, I definitely leaned into it hard, let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: A confident lean into a bush.
Speaker 3: But she helped me out of it. But like I'm a pretty big guy, so she couldn't really do it. So this guy like kind of stepped over and kind of helped me too.
Speaker 2: Gave you a hand. Not your proudest moment, but it's probably not like a total deal break for you. So how did it end that night?
Speaker 5: But with you and Natalie?
Speaker 3: Well, at the end of the party, I asked her if she wanted to go up to have some food, you know, soak up the alcohol, right, and she said she wanted to hang back and find this friend that she came with. And I don't know, that's it. Then I haven't heard back from her. I mean I got her her her number, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Exactly, have you called her or nothing?
Speaker 3: I texted her once. I don't want to be the dude who's stending multiple texts, but definitely, like damn, I went to all that trouble and thought it was a good connection and then just seem weird that nothing has come since then.
Speaker 2: Maybe she confidently leaned on the same bush and is trapped inside of it right now waiting for somebody to come pick.
Speaker 4: Her out, as we see.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna call, we'll see if she answers, and try and get you your second date update Fancy edition coming up right.
Speaker 3: After this.
Speaker 5: Second date update.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna need to set the scene here for any listeners just joining us. We picture well dressed men and women sitting on ornate couches, sipping on gimlets, mingling together. Red envelope party people. It's fancy.
Speaker 4: It does feel like something that happened in Jeff's neighborhood. Girls, Yeah, yeah, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of ask on uh huh, gimlets and mint julips and what's a red envelope party? I'm still not one hundred percent sure I get the idea, but one of our listeners, Alvin, attended one the other night where he went to a house in an upscale neighborhood. They have you fill out a dating survey and then later, based on the answers to your questionnaire, they bring you a red envelope on a silver platter with the name of the person that you matched with and are host to meet that night. Yes, and the name of Alvin's person was Natalie, So they met up, had a great time there until he fell into a bush outside.
Speaker 4: I didn't ruin the night, It was just a memory.
Speaker 1: The thing is he remembers it, so he wasn't too dry exactly.
Speaker 2: The problem is now Natalie is ghosting. So Brooke, take a break from putting your reservation and at the red envelope house and tell us, how do you.
Speaker 5: Feel about it?
Speaker 4: My hometown was more like bush Light and you'd wrestle a pig, you know.
Speaker 2: And they started.
Speaker 1: The problem is is it's a singles party, so she could have easily just met somebody.
Speaker 4: Else that night. Oh yeah, like that's the whole point in the red envelope is so you go around and.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're talking about before the envelopes were handed out. Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like the friend that she had to find at the end of the party air quotes was probably the person she was talking to before him.
Speaker 2: Alvin, did you notice Natalie speaking with any other guy?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 3: I mean I did notice her speaking with other guys, but not.
Speaker 1: Like you know, I'm sure that's what the point is.
Speaker 3: That's like ask you.
Speaker 1: It's not like they signed a contract that you could only go out with this person in the red envelope.
Speaker 3: They don't know who was.
Speaker 2: In the red envelope for the first hour jet it's a red envelope with a red flag attached to.
Speaker 5: I'm worried, but let's call Natalie here and see what she has to say. Here we go, Hello, Hey, is this Natalie?
Speaker 6: Yes, this is Natalie. Who is this?
Speaker 2: My name is jeff and I'm part of a radio show called Brooke and Jeffrey in the Morning, and we're all here eager to talk to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We actually were given your phone number by one of our listeners that went out. It was kind of on a sort of a date.
Speaker 4: Met you at a date party, singles single.
Speaker 2: And this segment is called second Date Update because we're trying to get you two back together and figure out if there's maybe chemistry or if if you feel the same way. Thank you, Brooke. But this guy's name is Alvin.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, oh my god?
Speaker 2: Remember him from the Red On?
Speaker 3: Remember him?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 6: I do remember him. I'm just surprised.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Describe like what that party was like for you. Also, if it's one of those parties, you don't have.
Speaker 5: To describe too much.
Speaker 6: So I just I had never been to one, so I don't know what to tell you about it because I didn't stay.
Speaker 1: You didn't say, well, I don't think he stayed very long either. Did you meet somebody else? Is that what it come down? Which is totally fine, that's the whole point of the party, right, success for you?
Speaker 6: Well, I've had friends who have done these parties, Like I was really just trying to experience it and leave because my friends who've done the parties, they say that you should leave by midnight if you don't want to. You know that it can get pretty crazy, let's put it that way. And I was just trying to get out of there.
Speaker 4: Is it really actually one of those.
Speaker 2: Can you elaborate? What do you know?
Speaker 5: What happens at midnight?
Speaker 6: I heard that they open up these like other rooms for activities after midnight, and I just that's not really my damn, like each one apparently has a theme.
Speaker 1: I don't know, are you not calling Alvin back because you think he stayed, or are you not calling him like I don't understand why you or.
Speaker 5: The fact that he was at that party.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I think I made the assumption that he's been to more than one, maybe a bunch of these.
Speaker 2: And that's not.
Speaker 6: Really my thing. I will not to that after.
Speaker 2: Midnight if you think that you're making an assumption there. I don't know if it's fair to jump to a full conclusion until we actually talked to Alvin himself.
Speaker 4: Because he seems like such an innocent guy.
Speaker 2: And you don't even have to wait because Alvin is on the other line right now, listening to this conversation from a secret room in our studio.
Speaker 3: Don't say that, yes, I'm here.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, what.
Speaker 3: Is happening, Natalie?
Speaker 4: Did I die? Did you stay after midnight? Alvin?
Speaker 2: Do you know what she's talking about with the extra rooms that open up?
Speaker 3: Yes? I do?
Speaker 5: You do you.
Speaker 2: And you're laughing?
Speaker 3: Okay, bro? Well, yeah, I mean she laughs, and like I said, I was kind of feeling it, you know, and I was like, oh, I'm here.
Speaker 2: I'm afraid to go into any more details of what actually happens. Did you partake or are you just enjoying the view?
Speaker 3: Brother, I was just enjoying the view.
Speaker 1: Why in the world would you contact a radio show if.
Speaker 4: This is the type of event that you want to Why did.
Speaker 2: You You didn't mention any of this to us?
Speaker 3: True, you guys asked me to talk about the date part. That's the part that I was interested in. Talking with you guys about the rest of the party in the event and stuff is like another story.
Speaker 2: Okay, well sure, but it's a pretty important detail. I think to bring up.
Speaker 3: The story ends when Natalie left, like afterwards, that was just on this, you know.
Speaker 4: Okay, we don't need to I mean making you feel better or worse, Natalie.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't like the idea of him watching other people. Yeah, I don't like, why does he want to contact me.
Speaker 3: Because you were the first and not interested in Like I was thinking about you the whole rest of the night, Like that's all I want.
Speaker 6: Other people thinking of me.
Speaker 4: That's so well, why do you go to the party.
Speaker 1: If you're not into that type of people, like Natalie, when what are you doing? That's actually but sometimes you don't know until you try it.
Speaker 6: Right now, Yeah, I was trying to just do something outside of the box because I'm not super adventurous, but I definitely have boundaries as far as not wanting to participate in the late night activities.
Speaker 3: Okay, you guys are making to sound like I'm some kind of total freakers into like wild This is the first time, just like Natalie, the first time I ever went to one of these things.
Speaker 2: We're not judging.
Speaker 5: Some of us are jealous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like a podcast about these it's crazy.
Speaker 2: How long were you there?
Speaker 3: So like like three, a little after three, like three thirty something.
Speaker 2: You watched for three hours.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll only really actually watched like this one room called the Ascot Room. That's the only one that I even got.
Speaker 5: The Ascot Room.
Speaker 3: You don't askot are like those ties like scarfs.
Speaker 5: Oh it's actually a smart idea.
Speaker 3: Paper, pretty creative.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, that's so gross. I don't what say to that.
Speaker 2: Well, look, he didn't use one of the ascots. He just watched people with the ascots.
Speaker 6: Oh no, but I like, oh no, I don't. I don't. I don't know why I shouldn't have pulled you out of that bush. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Different meanings before I ask officially, Alvin, is there anything else that you want to say to Natalie, like a like a final plea.
Speaker 3: Maybe I just want to say, like, I thought we had a good turn before, and it's not like like I said, I'm not like into that scene. That's not like my place and my people or something. And you got to admit we were having a good time at least I think we were.
Speaker 1: It's a good yeah, I mean, and he obviously his intentions was to meet one person.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, I just need to know are you going to go to the next one?
Speaker 3: I mean, if you wanted to go with me to one of those, that would be cool. But I'm not going to be going by myself.
Speaker 1: Well I was a little soon to say that, yeah, my friend, but it's not too soon to ask if we can facilitate another meet up between the.
Speaker 5: Two of you.
Speaker 2: We have a red envelope party over at Chili.
Speaker 4: I'm going to see you in the baby bedroom.
Speaker 6: That's what I was going to say. As long as there aren't extra rooms being opened up.
Speaker 2: After Okay, you're open to it, you know.
Speaker 6: What I am, because, like I said, I'm trying to the adventurous. And it sounds like he went and he committed to the experience, but it doesn't sound like it's something that he does all the time.
Speaker 5: Oh my.
Speaker 2: Janitor's classes, gradus, you got yourself another day?
Speaker 3: Yes, but I really am.
Speaker 4: Is it gonna be so sweet when you guys tell this story when you met?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody has red ascots in the weather party.
Speaker 3: No, just on honeymoon night as ascots.
Speaker 5: No, the Billboy can watch
Speaker 4: Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning.