Speaker 1: Yo, what up my people, it's your boy David Oh. And you can catch me live under the Bootleg cav podcast Keep in Luck.
Speaker 2: One look, Bootleg CAV show. We got a special guest. A legend is in here, man, David Oh. Welcome, sir.
Speaker 3: Well he said it perfect, did I?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's people usually fucking up. I'm not gonna lie. I was a little confused, like like early on, I was like, is it David Oh?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's David Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, thank you, big fan of your show.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it, man, thank you for having You're obviously a legend.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I think when we think of like afrobeach, you're kind of like the jay Z of the shit Lokey, you know, crazy It's good. Yeah. What's it like to kind of see your sound that you've been doing for all these years become like the sound now.
Speaker 3: You know, Like you know, I was born in Atlanta, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've always been like coming to America, but like when I became a musician, especially like coming out here you know for shows trying to push the music. It really don't started with like just like African fans coming to the shows, right, you know when we do shows out here, and then he started just you know, spreading. You know, like even when I was in college and I used to play my friends African music and they liked to college in Alabama. Okay, you know what I'm saying, which which cool.
Speaker 3: It's called Oakwood University.
Speaker 2: It's something that he was raised in the South. Low key yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fully, you know what I'm saying. So even when I used to play African songs for them, I knew that they liked it. So I always knew it was always if there was an opportunity to be heard, you know, people, you know, fuck with it?
Speaker 2: What's it like? Because I feel like I don't. I didn't know that about you, that you were kind of you from Atlanta and you were you went to college in Alabama. Yeah, that's like the Bible Belt for.
Speaker 1: Real, crazy Huntsville, Alabama, Huntsville Young. I was like sixty years old in college. You know, hey, we see you and that's coming like straight from Legos, right, you know, straight there. And I remember even just being in college and talking to like friends there like household, how is it in Nigeria?
Speaker 3: Like how did you get here y'all got airports.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Because there were no Edue kids that about this, about what's going on here. But now you know what I'm saying, You have social media, so it's different. They see a different side of Africa when you when you tell people that, oh, I'm night Jeri, you're like, oh, I love afrobeats. For me, like fifteen years ago, that was not the story, you know what was like for you?
Speaker 2: Like can you can you kind of pinpoint in your opinion as somebody who you know obviously has a crab out here and went to school out here and was born here. Can you kind of pinpoint the moment that you noticed like America starting to kind of take a liking to the genre.
Speaker 1: Definitely to me from my experience, it started like from Atlanta, two cities, Atlanta, New York or mainly Atlanta, and just like even going out, you know what I'm saying, Like, like one thing I knew one of my friends used to do. He used to he was a big baller. He would go to the club and he like spends so much money. But he tell them every time, YO, when you bring my bottles out, I want to hear this song, right, you know what I'm saying. So the DJ is playing it, you know what I'm saying, the bottles coming out to the song, you know, and the DJ is liking the music. And then that's that was like one of my first experiences of like being in the club and hearing it. Friend, yeah, and then you know, start growing. You know, once the girls like it.
Speaker 2: Once the girls like it, it's over.
Speaker 3: It's over, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So even like girls being in the coby with the guy, Okay, you play some afro beats because you know, girls like.
Speaker 3: It, you know, let's do it.
Speaker 2: It obviously became because it was like a big big thing in the UK first, right, you know, it was from.
Speaker 3: The UK before you go to America.
Speaker 1: You know, UK was like the first place to I know that apro beats, Like we start doing arenas in.
Speaker 3: The UK first, crazy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Afrobeats. UK actually named it Afrobeats, so that's like a UK It's like k turn. But then you know, we just ran with it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's fire man. What how much can you attribute to Drake embracing it to kind of it being like easily bridge to the US because I feel like once Drake gets behind anything, for the most part, it can it can really take off.
Speaker 1: I mean there's this there's always Niratis like, oh, you know what I'm saying. Afrobeats was was definitely you know what I'm saying huge, It was huge because if it wasn't he was Drake Drake.
Speaker 2: When it was he was like.
Speaker 1: Before Drake, but you know, Drake is Drake. You know what I'm saying. So i'd be lying if I see you know what I'm saying. He didn't put some spotlight to you know, afrobeats. You know what I'm saying. And you know it was dope. He's made some dope you know records.
Speaker 2: Yo. What there's this like new trend where there's the normal version of a song and then the sped up version. Back in the day, I mean you're from the South, you know, there was this chopping screwed ship, the screwed up ship back in the day to Texas. But now I feel like every single there's like the normal version and then they got to sped That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Said that because I released the album was out, so we released a couple of songs and we released the single again with a sped.
Speaker 2: Up Yeah, there's a sped up version.
Speaker 1: Yah's crazy, you know what I'm saying. I don't know some songs I don't even know, Like some songs.
Speaker 2: I see on like TikTok and stuff, you don't even know the normal version.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be thinking that's that's the original when they When I hear, I'm like, oh, okay, it makes sense now.
Speaker 3: I mean. Social media is crazy though, Like it's a different avenue.
Speaker 1: When I started music, we used to talk about radio and you know not Now it's like podcast. If you're promoted me before, just putt on like YouTube or Facebook. Right now you got like twenty apps. Yeah, you know, you gotta do your promo.
Speaker 2: I know, I keep hoping that TikTok is banned so I don't have to worry about it anymore. It's like one least day last day. I'm like, if TikTok is banned, it just takes one more thing I don't have to worry about away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going crazy, Like, yeah, are.
Speaker 2: You pretty big on TikTok.
Speaker 3: I mean, I got a lot of followers, but I'm like, are.
Speaker 2: You like on the app? Scrolling and like get diving into the algorithm. Nah nah, because you hit a sucky in bro yo.
Speaker 1: And every time I get on TikTok, I'll be there for like two hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because whatever you're into, it knows different and everything's all because I just love like dogs and food, so it just shows me puppy puppies and food.
Speaker 1: I think it's crazy how it can tell what you like, just like being on the app. After like a week, he's like me, I like food.
Speaker 2: Those you're just like guys who like cooking a minute and like got to cook outside. Oh yeah, I love that ship. And then I just bought a grill, like a griddle, like a little griddler thing outside, So I'm like, I'm always trying to find like ship to do on the grill.
Speaker 3: The guy that throws the butter butter bait, yeah, his food.
Speaker 2: You ever see the uh the guy who does the shark bite at the restaurants Big Groove, I think them too. He might actually I interviewed him.
Speaker 3: I think he might be.
Speaker 2: The guy's just a massive human being and he does very tight close. You gotta get him to do to do a dance to yourself, how give me kind of like your come up, because if you're in the States, you're going to college here, how did how do you end up popping off? You go back home?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, just being in Alabama for like before I go to college. Obviously I didn't liking to music. Of course, we obviously, like you know, my father was just olemans about me going to school.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm first generation that Titana in my family.
Speaker 2: You know, so it's a little harder to convince your.
Speaker 1: Everybody's business business business, like hey I want to do this, and they're like, was it normal template?
Speaker 3: Now you know what I'm saying. You go to school and then you go out and work for the family business.
Speaker 1: And I'm the last kid of five, so it was already I was not even thinking about, you know, convincing anybody or so, you know, just being in school and awkward. Apart from me, it's a church. It's a Christian school, so apart from even like going to church, the choirs or there are lots of like musicians around the school. So the dude that lived like that stayed like on top of me in the dorm. He was like goo sposing. Guy's name is Jamo. So I always used to hear like music, music like, but I never went to check. So one day I guess said, let me go check. So I went to check and knock the door and then he opens his room and it's a whole studio setup.
Speaker 3: Like in the dorm.
Speaker 1: So i'ing like that was just recording himself. So like that was like my first time like seeing like a laptop in the studio equipment.
Speaker 3: So I was like, Yo, how much is all this? And he told me.
Speaker 1: I was like, yo, want to buy it? Just teach me the way around it. So he was he was teaching me. And I also like learned off YouTube, like how to make some YouTube.
Speaker 2: University. Man, you can learn anything on YouTube. So what was your first interface? Was it like U M audio, the little M box plug.
Speaker 3: And play USB and then I had the it was It wasn't pro tools, it was logic.
Speaker 2: Logic. Yeah, a lot of people learn on logic.
Speaker 3: So from that I just started recording myself, recording myself. But mind you.
Speaker 1: You know, like I said, it's school, you know what I'm saying. So I'd go home every December Christmas. So one December I go to the club and it's like you know before before I left in the club or on the radio in Nigeria, they played with mostly American.
Speaker 3: Music, like what was popping in Nigeria when I left school. It's like fifty. Of course I love him.
Speaker 2: I just like the world loves fifty. Fifty is just like anywhere in the world. Yeah, usher, you know that's like confessions.
Speaker 1: Nearly you know this then, but you know, I fact, I you know, noticed that when I got back after I think I went was like two years away and I came back with Christmas and it's like, Yo, it's.
Speaker 3: All African music now, blah blah, it's different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm in the club and I'm seeing like the artists blowing up, the girls going crazy.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, yo, this is about to be something. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Right, Were you already making that kind of music in your dorm them or was trying to rap or what were you doing?
Speaker 1: Na?
Speaker 3: You know, I actually started as an engineer, Okay, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So you were just learning your way around here.
Speaker 1: I used to record, like my cousins, gotcha, you know, stuff like good to Atlanta record them. So actually started as an engineer. So it was really like R and B is kind of music, right, African music sometimes. But then when I after that trip changed it changed it. So when I got back, it was just African music. Like after that trip, I decided, That's when I decided, like I want to be a African musician. So the biggest artists at that time, his name was debanch right, So anytime like night John, say, anytime they're coming to Atlanta, they would always call me up. You know, I hooked them up give them some right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So you're with a plug. Yeah, and I was like, fifteen fifteen, you're selling weed in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: No, I was just selling we do.
Speaker 2: I knew where to get it, you know where to get it, of course, Yeah, and you were, you were the middleman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I knew had to get it, so you know from there, you know what I'm saying. They came.
Speaker 1: So one trip, one of the biggest artists at that time came to Atlanta. I took them out, you know, got them hotels, took them.
Speaker 2: To the strip club, which one oh damn.
Speaker 3: Some strip club on the South Side. It's called Club Walks.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's old so not Magic City.
Speaker 3: Not non Magic City.
Speaker 1: So I took them to that club box and Yo, they changed like twenty thousand in once. But that was like the most one that I'd seen at that time. I'm like, what, Y know these guys that really gets in it. So at that point I was like, Yo, I'm going back to school.
Speaker 3: I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to. I see that you can make some real money off.
Speaker 3: And then from then I was like, Yo, this is one I want to do because like.
Speaker 2: It's got to be kind of hard because you probably were like also semi influenced by a lot of what was going on in Atlanta, and like it's kind of hard to like see outside of what's happening right in front of you. So for you to go back home during the summer and be like, oh no, there's this whole other yeah thing going on, you know what I'm saying, Like there's a whole there's another world outside.
Speaker 3: Of the US, yeah, And I'm like, I don't want to miss this, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So that's when I started getting involved in doing me like a forgot music production, facing it the food week. It wasn't even affecting my academics, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: What'd you drop out?
Speaker 3: After like two years dropped out?
Speaker 2: Parents were happier. They didn't know.
Speaker 3: They thought they even know I was dropped up, so they thought that was in school. Yeah for a year, you're like school's good sending them fake grades on that. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But it was the first convo where you like let them know, like it was never a combo. Oh okay, they just like saw you on tv DA.
Speaker 1: So you know, he was calling my phone and at this point, I've gone back to America, but I was planning to go back to Nigeria to stop my music career because like I had met people already and stuff like that. So my sister hit me up on Facebook. She's like, I think my dad was like trying to call my phone. Then he called the school like trying to reach me, and then like, oh, so David hasn't hasn't been a road here for the past year. He's like what what did My sister will never forget that message.
Speaker 3: I was in a burger. Yea that news you haven't been in school. My stomach, Oh fucking function, your whole viralthing.
Speaker 2: Your dad's a doctor, no no, but he got like a doctor. He's got a doctor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, goy, he's he's not a doctor.
Speaker 2: Yo, what ups, Bootleg cav. We gotta stop the interview to tell you about our folks at my bookie. That's right. So many ways you can gamble with my bookie right now.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Of course, you got NBA playoffs Western Conference Finals, Eastern Conference Finals, they're set. I love Celtics first Lakers in the finals.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: You can sign up at my bookie dot ag right now using that promo code Bootleg and get a very generous first deposit bonus. That's right. And they just got the craziest like revamp of the on line casino. It's like a Las Vegas experience. If you play cards, blackjack, roulette, you shoot dice, whatever it is. They have like live dealers handling it for you wherever you're at. You could be at the airport and be playing fucking roulette on your phone. It's amazing. My Bookie dot Ag. Sign up with that promo code Bootleg right now. You can bet on sports, you can do slots, you could do blackjack, craps, whatever you're into. My bookie dot ag promo code Bootleg for that first deposit bonus and it is a generous one. Also, got to give a shout out to our family at King Palms. Shout out to King Palm man, if you only know about King Poms, there are a new sponsor on the Bootleg cap podcast. And they got such a great product. The best thing about King Palms is it's all organic, man, No tobacco in these wraps. They're straight leafs. And the best thing about them is they got this product, their flavor turping tips. All right, you stuff them. What's your product do? We got one here here, we got one right here, We got one right here. All right, you stuff this with your premium cannabis from Hardy in Las Vegas. All right, you smoke up, pinch that tip. You're gonna get a burst of flavor. Yeah, this is the energy drink flavor. We got peach, pineapple, we got watermelon wave. Also, don't forget the goddamn blue grapes, you know what I mean. And also, this is a tobacco free wrap. It's totally organic. It's literally a leaf let. Me show you what I mean. That is just a big ass leaf guys. All right, So what you could do is go to kingpom dot com. Weeds flying everywhere kingpom dot com promo code Bootleg, and now you can get fifty percent off of whatever you order at kingpom dot com. And don't forget to check them out because they're everywhere. Your local smoke shop, your local liquor store, seven to eleven smoke the King Palm. All right, it's organic. It ain't like all that other bullshit. Y'all be fucking stuffing in your lungs. Man, all right, shout out to kingpomkingpom dot com promo code bootleg right now. And it's actually promo co Bootleg keV promo called Bootleg CAV, not Bootleg Bootleg cap King pom dot com half off everything. Let's get back to the interview. I mean, technically is a doctor? He got yeah.
Speaker 1: After that, and then my dad like, I like, I hit the seem disappointed to me, Like it could mess up my whole vibe for sure.
Speaker 3: So I was like, man, I'm not going home. I ain't even trying to hear all Like where do I start from?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like where do I start from? You know what I'm saying? So I was like, man, I got to blow up that's the only way he's good to forgive me.
Speaker 2: So did you wait to like really?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I would tellt so no, no, he well kind of, I was like about to blow up, and then he kind of caught me kind of because I ran. I kind of dipped, So he was looking for me for months, and I was like, you're just on the run from your sixteen I was like sixteen at this time.
Speaker 2: Sixteen on the run. Not on the run, but you know, you're on the run from from your pop. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: And then I went to London for like six months and then my friend had the studio his house.
Speaker 2: You're sixteen at the time, yeah, sixteen. You kind of ran away, low Ki.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was in my friend's house recording, you know what I'm saying. He had a studio in London.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I recorded like ten songs, right, so I had him with me, you know what I'm saying. At least I have content from whenever I'm ready to drop. So after being in London for like, it's me and my cousin be ready that we both ran away. So it's like, after being.
Speaker 2: In on him for like six months, you got a fake idea at the time, Nah that I wasn't even going to no.
Speaker 3: Club or I was just in my friend's house. But you know I had American passport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I just you know what I'm saying, just good money wherever you're at, come on anywhere. So after like six months, I was like, yo, I had the ten songs. I saved up a little paper. I was like, yo, I'm going to Nigeria, you know, to start, you know what I'm saying. Get on the plane land and then like my dad.
Speaker 3: Like caught me. Oh shit.
Speaker 2: As soon as I got off the plane, he was waiting for you in Nigeria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the immigration he's living Nigeria, like the army gration people just grabbed me off the plane and took me straight to him.
Speaker 3: I'm shoot, like, boy, I got an eye Pierson lip pressing.
Speaker 2: He's not fucking with you.
Speaker 3: She's looking me crazy.
Speaker 2: It's like what happened to my son.
Speaker 1: So we get in the car and I against he hugged me by He's like you brother. I was like, man, daddy, I do want to hear.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to do music. Do you understand I don't need anything from you.
Speaker 1: Then we get home and the whole time I ran away, my dad like cut everybody off, like he the hancho.
Speaker 3: He take care of everybody. So he's like, go out get my song now. Nobody. Everybody message me like, boy, you better come back home. I'm hungry.
Speaker 2: You got fucked up out here.
Speaker 1: Everybody caught everybody off like that was like my aunties and your dad sounds like a g in mafia. I go, I get back home and then I have my ten songs, you know what I'm saying. So I'm just like your house to do music. So I'm telling my siblings and then my dad was just like, look, you know what I'm saying. You could you could have just came and told me. You know what I'm saying, Like, oh, this is really what you want to do. I was like that, I told you like ten times.
Speaker 2: Nah. School.
Speaker 3: So he tried it up like cutting the deal. It was like he was with him.
Speaker 1: So he's like, so you gotta go to school. I said, okay, but what's it for me? He said, Man, he built me a studio and give me some paper to start.
Speaker 3: Off my career.
Speaker 2: So helped out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I had to go to school for like every two weeks. I had to be a school. Well he should be like four hours away.
Speaker 3: Oh ship, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: What was What was the song that changed your life?
Speaker 1: Probably my second single. It's called Domny Duo, right, So that's when like I left school. I was like because I was on because you're like, look it worked. The first single was all right, you know what I'm saying, but the second one I was in. So I was only allowed to go to the city every two weeks. So I'd be in school for like thirteen days four hours away. Yeah, thirteen days, and then on the fourth, fourteenth day, I can go to the city for just three days to do.
Speaker 3: Me trying to break your record stuff like that. So and I'm in school, my dad put me next to like the owner of the school, like I might even.
Speaker 2: Like he's a studio. He's like like, you got you.
Speaker 3: This is the door of the school owner. This is my room. So every day you go to work, knocking on the door like are you going to class? You know, stuff like that. But when I had that second record, my boy called me.
Speaker 1: He was in the city. He said, it's lip. I said, what you mean, say he was in the club last night. He played the record, everybody went. I said, are you sure, because if I leave this place, I'm fucked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought I forgets. So I made like a fake body in my room, like under the clubs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've done this.
Speaker 3: Yeah you put you know how to do you put people?
Speaker 2: You stuffed the jeans? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Overout this like that. He was called on the way to the four hours trip. He called him I phone, like, where are you?
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 3: I said, Man, I'm out. So that night we got to the city and this this is like my first time.
Speaker 1: Scene like anything or any feeling type of any importance of my music.
Speaker 3: I walked in the club.
Speaker 2: Boy, they knew who you were.
Speaker 3: I was like I was, I was like, yo, so.
Speaker 1: Like and I was like, that's like I'm seventeen. So that record was like too big, Like it blew up the whole country, the whole Africa. Like it was like really like literally over night success crazy, you understand, Like we all confused, like like we're not even prepared for what came, you know what I'm saying. I'm like, oh damn, now I got a pr publicist, I gotta get a tour manager.
Speaker 3: I gotta get you know what I'm saying this that you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And from there it was just on what's the clubs like? Because I've heard that the clubs in Nigeria are crazy wow, but like you've been to both the Atlanta side and so for you like, yeah, I was about to say that's the one thing about here. It's like you know, at bottles and they stare at each.
Speaker 3: Other when I downcing switson to like ten am.
Speaker 1: Just everyone's dancing, happy, smiling, crazy bottles everything.
Speaker 2: What about are the strip clubs in Nigeria? Yeah? What are the strip club vibes like compared to just like just like same thing.
Speaker 3: And funny enough, a lot of like dancers fly from America.
Speaker 2: To dance out there, to go dance out there.
Speaker 3: Oh there's fire.
Speaker 2: Uh so you got the new project out timeless? Uh? For people who don't know, man, are you very like aware of like your place in like Afrobeat's history. When people bring up the Big Three, I think it's like you whiz Kid and burna Boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely know, like definitely away especially like do you have some once you remember when I told you that I was like an out, I was on out that I'm looking in when I went for December and I saw that, you know, in the artist everybody was like in one section and I'm just looking like I gotta get into this. I gotta get in the mix. But I also like came with like a vision. Do you understand? And I feel like that's what helped me solidify my place in afrobeats.
Speaker 3: Came with the vision, I knew what I wanted. Do you understand?
Speaker 1: I'm a producer as well, so with the production, I already knew how I want everything to sound.
Speaker 3: Do you understand?
Speaker 1: And from there and then you know, shout out to my pops. You know what I'm saying, he shot my first video.
Speaker 2: Your dad shot your first video. Paid for it. I was about to say, your dad is talented, he's got a doctorate, he's out here shooting videos.
Speaker 3: And so he shot my first video.
Speaker 1: So you know, from then I kind of like, you know, God, you know, okay, you know, continue the journey and you know, coming out here it was very puzzling for me. So came out here, and you know, especially for one when I did my first tour, I used to live in America.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was very futile for me to figure out. I know that what gets to be listening? How do we do?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like it's already popping in the clubs, and then before you know it, a major label hit me up, Boom Sony. You know what I'm saying. And this is I've been doing music already for like seven years, right, you know what I'm saying. I'm talking about we like we like sixty records in at this time. Wow, sixty records in. But the old records is just start to catch, starting to catch. Yes, I feel like that's what it's been happening with a lot of It was very difficult for us, you know, artists, because we're so we're so comfortable already, you know what I'm saying. At that time, I was already making at least one hundred and fifty two hundred thousand dollars a show, and then we have like that's death and then we already setting out stadiums, you know what I'm saying, thousand people, and then you know there's the all that syde of things. But you want to move music to the culture to push you come out here and the money they're saying, No, definitely no. Nowadays it is now. Yeah, but like back then, like you got kind of stop from scratch again. Definitely not like my first show. My first show I think was New York was like Urban Plaza, I think something like that.
Speaker 2: It was like a thousand people I'm used to doing like fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there.
Speaker 1: But you know that's how, you know, spreading the music, waking up for interviews, like you know what I'm saying, doing promo. So you know, when the major labels got involved in Aprobets, I felt like we had the music, but we didn't have the structure.
Speaker 3: Right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Now, you know there's a little bit of structure all the labels right now in Nigeria, do you understand?
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, I know, like a shots, I got Gazi, I think Empires doing a lot, yeah, a lot of artists, Sony, a lot of artist under Sonya.
Speaker 3: As well too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Who would you kind of consider to be like Eurog's in this ship because I feel like we always hear about you burna Boy and whiz K, but there's a whole generation of guy's prior to you guys that kind of let the groundwork.
Speaker 1: I think definitely the bunch you know, that's one of the artists I saw. I told you du Bane Too Face. So the Big three then was the Bane Tooth Face and it's a group it's twins called p Square, So that was those were like r ogs, you know. Then those are the people that made me say it's possible doing this. Yeah, I'm doing this.
Speaker 2: You also have kind of became one of like the main guys that like hip hop artists will tap into if they universe or the hook. I mean you guys like fabulous and go on and on. Who are some of the well, first of all, being as a guy who went to college here, was born in Atlanta, has there been a hip hop artist you've worked with where you were like, damn, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: I got a record with this guy like this. Definitely, definitely it should be.
Speaker 1: Oh I think, well, I mean I have a lot of you know, records I didn't have with me, but one of the records I was like, yo, it was Nobs when I got that NOAs versus and Hip Boys video like those one of the moments because my brother.
Speaker 2: You guys met him a head boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just came in the room.
Speaker 1: Was not what he was like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, like he likes African.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, thank you, thank you, thank you what you're working on and he just laid the verse and me and my boys just looking because that was special to me because my oldest brother Nick, he was a big nos fun like that Illmatic album still Man, still Madic of course the album when he was young.
Speaker 2: His face right there, it's behind that box.
Speaker 3: Oh that's crazy. So that was like crazy to me.
Speaker 1: And then obviously like with Thug, you know baby, oh that was real dope, and know we connect the vibe.
Speaker 2: You know, you ended up connecting and like really vibing with Doug.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh like not even on music tip. You know what I'm saying. Thug is, Thug is a great guy. Man actually met a Little Baby through Thug before Little Baby even dropped a record.
Speaker 2: Oh really back in the day, people don't understand like young Thug and Gucci are like two of the best an rs ever. They just always have like just talent around them.
Speaker 1: Like and we all will all be in the studio, and you know when you're like in the studio and everybody's like clean day music, everybody passing the ARX squad. When I put play Monk I always loved it, so I always need that. Man, this Jodre is it's gonna go.
Speaker 2: Gotta stop the interview real quick to tell you about our family at Blue Chew. Baby. That's right, it's getting hot outside. You know what that means, fellas you're about to go get that dick wet. You know what I'm saying. It might as well be really hard. It might as well be as hard as it could possibly be. And with blue Choo you will achieve such hardness. All right. It's seriously amazing.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And the best part about blue Choo is you can find out if it works. Don't just take my word for it. They're gonna give you a month's supply for free. Go to blue choo dot com. Use that promo code bootleg. Get a month supply for free bluetoo dot com promo code bootleg. Now it's the same active ingredient as Viagra and Cialis, minus the awkward doctor appointment. You do not have to go see some old dude and tell them about your erectile dysfunction issues in person, because that's a fucking awkward conversation.
Speaker 3: Bruh.
Speaker 2: All you gotta do is go to blue Choo dot com right now, use the promo code bootleg. They're gonna get you hooked up with a month of supply for free. You just gotta pay five dollars in shipping. No awkward doctor's appointments. Same active ingredient as Viagra and Seatleist. Plus they got the Blue Choo Mint. It's a chewable. It's great, tastes like mint. It's also the same active ingredient as Levitra. So summertimes coming, fellas, you don't want to underperform, make sure your dick is rocked up, baby, all right, go to Bluetoo dot com use the promo code bootleg. Hey, man, it works. What do you want from me? It fucking works. Everyone should have a little Blue Choo in case of an emergency. You might have an emergency. You need a Papa Blue Choo. Chew it. It's a chewable, you know what I mean? Anyway, Also got to shout out to our family at odd socks. Don't forget. Go to odd Socksofficial dot com. Promo code bootleg save twenty percent off. Man, they got the underwear that they just dropped last year. That's amazing. So not only do you get the most comfortable socks in the world, but you can also get the most comfortable with draws in the world. All the crazy licenses. They got half baked socks. They just announced their has Burro collection, which is crazy because that means you're gonna get Monopoly socks, Transformer socks, power Ranger socks. So much shit going with odd Socks. Plus they got the odd Socks Basics, my favorite. This is why I wear every day. I wear the Basics because they're the most comfortable socks I've ever put on my fucking feet. So experience the most comfortable socks in the world with me. Odd socksofficial dot com promo code Bootleg save twenty percent off. Shout out to odd Socks. Let's get back to the interview. Yeah, that's got. What was it when you guys worked together? Did he record the verse with you there?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Because I heard his process is pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he thug duty, But baby, I said, I said, baby, just all.
Speaker 2: Because like this Doug going right now and down right. It's just does he lay the he lays He lays the melody first and then punches in.
Speaker 1: Or then go back, punch in, go back, through the melody. Then you know, you get the words that you recorded. You know, I kind of record the same way too.
Speaker 2: So you're you're kind of similar with Joe, like melody down and then feeling the lyrics melody and then feeling the lyrics. Yeah, you used to be an engineer. Yeah, which way do you prefer to record an artist? Because I do know some engineers to get frustrated. Yeah, you touch me in back back back back, No right there.
Speaker 1: To me and pu me in think about me. You gotta be quick because I get anxiety when you know.
Speaker 2: When if you have an engineer recording you, they got to be fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to be very very quick.
Speaker 1: And I don't sleep, So it's like you gotta be quick, quick, quick, because you know the way you want to, you know, lay down an idea. You know, first of all, you don't want to lose it, right because sometimes it never comes back, you know what I'm saying. So I like to be kind of quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah for you. How much how much like of your own production are you doing these days?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: None?
Speaker 1: Yeah recently, but with this last album, I like I supervisor production what I'm said, But I'm as hands on us you know, I.
Speaker 2: Was, you know, years back, what it's like for you give me two or three artists that are on the come up right now that we should be checking out in the States.
Speaker 1: African African h I was talking about they big lad see what he's here on the come up?
Speaker 2: Maybe here here, definitely.
Speaker 3: He's he's hot right now going crazy.
Speaker 2: Rema Rama's got a smash number the highest, yeah, the highest ever number one song right now. It's Rhythm radio in Selina.
Speaker 3: It's crazy care Redma bou Ju.
Speaker 2: I've heard. I've heard of Rama, who's on the remix of that song.
Speaker 3: Boojus.
Speaker 1: You know, at least kih kids down here. A lot of people, man, I can I can name one hundred females. You know, we got Thames, we got Iron Star Savage, So yeah, we're doing great.
Speaker 2: Do you ever like see American artists trying to do what you guys do and it comes I've seen a lot of guys do it and it's very corny. But do you ever like feel like like it's a little kind of appropriating like y'all's vibe, because it does feel like I've seen I mean, I don't want to say names. There's been a few guys with like just blatantly just I mean, like they don't care about the culture, and it's like, this is the sound, let me make the song, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like offended by it, like because I'm from both worlds, right, But it'd be like kind of weird when when we have like a session and like and they come and they're like, yo, can you make it sound like that? I'm like, what you talking about? Like, can you make it sound like this? Okay, you you've had that happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, plenty of times.
Speaker 2: Do you like cool loo guy to the side, They're like, hey man, you got to a little appreciate what we're doing here a little bit. Let's say some microwavableshit. Yeah, And then I'm just happy, like the night not even take it's changing.
Speaker 1: And I've been in the studio, I've worked with so many people and then and you know what I'm saying, Like before it was like a thing to have like American artists on your record, it'd.
Speaker 2: Be like a big deal, a big deal. Now it's kind of for it.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I don't mention names, but you know what I'm saying, you can be in the studio vibing out with somebody, somebody do it verse the next day they send.
Speaker 3: You papers and boys, we're boys that you know in the video, you gotta do that too, and you feel.
Speaker 2: Like it's the other way around.
Speaker 3: Now, what's up? I'm charging now? Yeah, what you need, I'm charging now.
Speaker 2: I'm saying my lawyers, what's the feature costing? Right now?
Speaker 3: It's timeless, six figures hundred hundred.
Speaker 2: If I know you, If I know you, that's the price.
Speaker 3: If I know your hundred and that's not bad. And then the video and then.
Speaker 2: The video costs. That's one thing, you know, Like there's a few guys who like I feel like, to.
Speaker 1: Be honest, if I know that, if you do a record and I know that you're gonna push it to the fullest, to the fullest, and you're an artist that I enjoy.
Speaker 2: Like you're a fan of somebody.
Speaker 1: I'm a fan like me and Chris be time we get in the studio, like, I'm happy, you know what I'm saying, Because Chris is doing a video with you, Chris is bring you out on tour.
Speaker 2: Chris is thinking of ideas, and he's also like our our Michael Jackson. Yes, like I think Chris Brown's like he's an alien for you, because I do. I do feel like there has been a few artists who have kind of like embraced Like I know when Castanova Free Castanova came with to Nightgery video felt like he just died.
Speaker 3: Little Baby cames out. He stayed in my house when he came to a little Baby Baby was at the crib.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said, as the Migos came out there a lot of people come out there for shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm curious, like is the breaking in an artist process? How much different is it than here? Because here it's like obviously there's TikTok now, but you know, traditionally in hip hop you would want to maybe catch a wave in a strip club first, or you know there might be no from.
Speaker 1: Like my generation on me was like that's really like putting out like a thousand CDs go around and club.
Speaker 3: But now, like, shit is different.
Speaker 1: You can be sitting somewhere in the village, you drop a record once one thing goes viral and you you know what I'm saying. So stuff is different now, Like even when we're in the studio, now we're thinking like how can we make a challenge to this song.
Speaker 2: Like how we get the ship popping on TikTok and then out there's Audio Max really big.
Speaker 1: I think Audio Mac Yeah, because you know it's easy to It's easier, it's like subscribe, you know what I'm saying. But recently started fy Nigeria. He comes to Night Gena and that's helped.
Speaker 3: A lot too.
Speaker 2: Who would you want to do a collab project with from the States? If you could do a collab album with anybody?
Speaker 1: Definitely Chris. That'd be crazy. Definitely Chris. Me and Chris got like ten songs like people ain't heard.
Speaker 2: Ten that are just on a hard drive. Yeah, have you guys talked about doing that? He did a thug album.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Definitely. I go to his house after here too. But yeah, me and Chris definitely, you know what I'm saying. I was even meant to go on toll him.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. But we're gonna do a lot together. Who else?
Speaker 2: I do a record with Scissa, She's.
Speaker 3: Really really dope for Bad Bunny too.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: There is such a correlation between like reggaetone and afrobeats because one it's just great dancing music, and I feel like BPM wise like BPM wise, they match up so well if you're DJing in the club. Have you done like any shows with any like any like big reggaeton artists anywhere? No?
Speaker 1: Not really, but I had to showing Puerto Rico though, Yeah, crazy crazy. I remember on the flight down maxim Names, I was like, you sure it's going to be yo?
Speaker 2: What it was like?
Speaker 3: Twenty thousand people in Puerto Rico?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Puerto Rico.
Speaker 3: We've had Mexico reach out to. But I love performing in the islands.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite place to perform so far?
Speaker 1: So far?
Speaker 3: That was real dope, I'll say the Bahamas.
Speaker 2: The Bahamas. Do you ever go to that crazy resort they got there, the Atlantis resort that I obways see it on the line.
Speaker 3: We would like in and out, in and out records, in and out records.
Speaker 2: Well, look, man, the new album's out right now.
Speaker 3: Timeless, you know what I'm saying, going crazy?
Speaker 2: Anything else on the way.
Speaker 3: Definitely be going on tour in July. If you can't everywhere, Nah, we do. We spliting it up, so we do.
Speaker 2: I want to see I want to go to it. I want to go to a show that's not the United States. I want to go to like, so come to come to Nigeria. I gotta go to Nigeria. Puerto Rico, Rob, are we going to Nigeria.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get to December, December, December, let's go.
Speaker 1: So the best time to come definitely, you know in December, you know what I'm saying. She also visit Ghana too, and I.
Speaker 2: Heard Ghana is amazing.
Speaker 3: So Nigeria is like New York and Ghana is like La Like okay, calmer.
Speaker 2: So Nigeria is like fast paced, bro, you gotta.
Speaker 1: Be shopped if you can't, so wife, in Nigeria, you con sof anywhere.
Speaker 2: Ghana is more relaxed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kickback, you want to.
Speaker 2: Don't kick back too much in La though, they'll rob your ass out, I know, do you guys? Listen? Dude, Africans claim Elon Musk because he is South African. I'm just wondering, is it he's from Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. He's got like kind of like South Africa.
Speaker 1: I love you know Caucasians are down there, you know what I'm saying, because you know they stayed after It's dope. South Africa southever it looks like la It's like beautiful, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't it like very still kind of like separated and like a lot of the social issues. Yeah, like there's some yeah everywhere, some Jim Crow type ship there.
Speaker 1: They're like two languages. I know, there's like a one language called Afrikaans, and like it's weird, like I think, I'm not sure it's not one hundred percent, but I think like the black people don't speak that.
Speaker 2: That's wow. Man, Well listen, I appreciate you pulling up. You're definitely a legend.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: There's dope to have you here. A new album out, new.
Speaker 1: Album out, Timeless the Way tour on the way. I got a festival in Atlanta in November. Oh ship, Yes, I plan to do it yearly. It's called a wavefest. Who else before I'm trying to bring okay, you bring everybody, everybody. I'm trying to bring everybody through and have like our own coach.
Speaker 3: We can do every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just saw there's a big afrobeats festival I.
Speaker 3: Think is Miami. The next one is Miami.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what's up. I appreciate you. Yeah, affirmation my brother. Appreciate you, man, David. Oh hey, we got to wrap up an interview brought to you by Hard Dean, Las Vegas. Appreciate y'all watching. Hey, don't forget when you go to Vegas, you gotta go to Hard Dean. Man, it's the craziest dispensary you'll ever walk into. It smells like fucking heaven in there. All right, get in that uber when you hit Sin City, tell them take me to Hard Dean. They're gonna take you. You're gonna get a wild selection of the just top, top of the line cannabis, the best selection you'll go be able to see in the US. Plus on top of that, they got the crazy gear, they got the clothes, they got the makins, they got a wonderful selection of bud tenders that are very good at their job. Man, they'll take Cary. You tell them that Bootleg keV sent you. The bud tenders are Hard Dean. Theyn't know what that means. They're gonna get you hooked up right all right? Go follow them online Harding Underscore Las Vegas, or just go chout out their website too, Man, Hardenlasvegas dot com. And when you're in Vegas pull up to Harden, or you're playing yourself for real.